Speaker 1: Our first Dodger Talk of twenty twenty five. Hope you had a great Christmas New Year, Hanikah. I ate too much. I drank too much, and I'm not stopping. Won't stop, can't be stopped. We got a great show for you tonight. Phone lines are open for the first time in twenty twenty five. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. You'll hear from Teoscar Hernandez, who was at Dodger Stadium today for a press conference. I had a chance to talk to ta Oscar moments after he stopped uh at well, moments after he came off the stage. So you hear from tai Oscar. And also I chose my top five tail moments, my top five ti Oscar Hernandez moments. If you have a top ta Oscar Hernandez moment, I want to hear from you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Also, coming up at the bottom of the hour, you'll hear from Walker Buehler. We haven't had a chance to talk about Buehler signing with the Boston Red Sox. You'll hear from Buehler and you'll give some more insight on that faithful night at Yankee Stadium. No, not Game five, but the night he started Game three and Fat Joe cursed the Yankees, So you'll hear what Buehler had to say about that game as well. The Dodgers also signed a Korean infielder that they played against in South Korea last year, High Song Kim. We'll get into what this means for the rest of the Dodger roster and what Brandon Gomes believes Kim's role will be. But before we do that, just to repack everything or unpack the ta Oscar Hernandez signing. About three weeks ago, I had reported that things were getting close to getting done and they just got hung up at the same ten yard line until recently before Christmas. Was Taoscar Hernandez going to sign with another team?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Was there a bidding war for Tioscar Hernandez.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: The qualifying offer attached to Taoscar Hernandez was something that gave other teams some pause because they aren't just draft picks that teams are forfeiting or losing to sign a player with a qualifying offer. As I mentioned the Petros some money a few times. There's a monetary value these front offices put on these draft picks, so they don't just give them away or push their picks back to sign any free agent. Now, Taoscar Hernandez did have a lot of interest from the Cincinnati Reds. I would say that was the team that possibly could have came in and swooped ta Oscar from the Dodgers. Not only did the Reds want ta Oscar in their lineup in that ballpark, but also to mentor Elie d la Cruz. Harry Francona, who's now the Reds manager, talked a lot about how he's going to try to emphasize Ellie de la Cruz and talk to him and try to get him and take the next step in his maturation. The Reds thot ta Oscar Hernandez could help him do that. But ta Oscar, as he mentioned during his press conference, was it really worth going somewhere else for five or six million extra dollars. And you never hear a player really be that candid. But that's what makes ta Oscar Hernandez pretty special. And my understanding is that new mural down in South central LA with a few of the Dodgers' key Dodgers Tommy Edmund, t Oscar Hernandez, Mooki, and Freddy ta Oscar wanted to see that mural. And my understanding is one of the Dodger officials took Taoscar down to twentieth in Hooper where that mural was painted. And we'll see whether or not ta Oscar posts a photo in front of it. But yeah, that was one of the things ta Oscar wanted to do today and that it's pretty cool that he recognized that. So we'll see if Taoscar made it down there and whether or not he posts a picture on his Instagram. Uh, oh, he did. He did post a picture already, all right, Okay, a couple of them do Ronnie Fossio nice? All right? His esposa went down there with him too, So they made it down there to twentieth and Hooper where that mural is. So Taoscar Hernandez getting deep into the city today after talking to us and being on on Petro some money. Now, as far as the Dodger outfield looks, Taoscar Hernandez is going to be the right fielder. Michael Confordo is going to be the everyday left fielder. Andy pa has Tommy Edmund, Chris Taylor, maybe James Outman if there's an injury, is in the mix there. But that's the way the Dodger outfield looks right now. So we'll get into the roster and how this fits with trying to bring back keyk Hernandez and how they do bring back Key k Hernandez. Now not only was signing Taoscar Hernandez, but also uh Sognning has sung high song Kim. Here is Taoscar Hernandez from earlier today. We had a chance to catch up with him before he went to go see that mural. It's a celebration in Los Angeles. The weight is over. Tioscar Hernandez is finally officially a Dodger. My son Joseph can stop asking me every single day if Tayo is back. And I feel like he was speaking for the entire city of La Could you feel the love from the city and how badly they wanted you back?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean I watched all the media social media just asking when I was gonna sign with the Dodgers again, And you know that gives me a little a little bit of push just to make that decision, make a quick So the fans. Do your fans are They were really excited last year and there I think they're even more excited. We mean to come back here.
Speaker 1: Tai Oscar. I think the fans of appreciated not only what you did on the field, but they could tell you really invested everything you had in your teammates and in the city that doesn't usually happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's why I love this game. I played this game to help the team wins, in this case the Dodgers, and make my teammates better, not only players, but a better person. And the same way, being there for any anybody that needs me that I can make better, and just you know, just happy to be around these people, this organization.
Speaker 1: How many teammates reached out to you or did you send a text to the rest of the team when you officially signed.
Speaker 4: They were all happy, they say same. They were congratulating me and the group chat that we have. They were happy and I'm really happy to be back.
Speaker 1: What was free agency like for you this year compared to last year. It seemed like you had a little bit more our direction that you wanted to come back compared to last year.
Speaker 4: Not knowing Yeah, you know, last year, you like me come here. I didn't know what to spad like. I had an idea because I hear other players saying. But when you realize that it's more than what you were expecting, it just make every single decision easier when it comes to free agency to make a decision, and for me, it was easy to come back.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like now you might want to try to recruit Keik to come back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think he's the only one musing right now from last year. He was huge for us last year and hopefully they can make a work so he can come back in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting that you said during the press conference what you guys accomplished last year was in the past. Is that how you feel like last year's World Series it's over with now you have to focus on twenty five or can you still enjoy what you guys were able to accomplish as a group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you go back and think about how you watch videos and you like, you get excited about what we did last year. But I think everybody's mine right now, it just focused on twenty twenty five. What can we do to do the same thing that we're doing in twenty twenty four, and that's our goal, trying to go there, stay healthy and win a championship.
Speaker 1: I've been back to back. That sounds nice, tail.
Speaker 4: Back to back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been seeing your Instagram. You're really putting in a lot of work already.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to, you know, to get myself ready so I can be there for the team and just give everything that I have so we can go back to the World Series and win it.
Speaker 1: How much you're squatting, not much.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big squat guy.
Speaker 1: I tried just to get bench pressing five hundred.
Speaker 4: No, not really. I'm not a heavy weight lifter. But I try to get myself ready just to to being a bit on the field every day.
Speaker 1: You were out there every day. Yeah, I mean that's what separates you from so many other players. It wasn't so much about you know, the numbers. That was a product of you being out there every day. You miss some time with a family passing away, and you know you had a little nagging thing, but you're You and Freddie Freeman are the guys that play every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's there's things that are gonna happen throughout the year that you cannot have control of it. But when he comes to my body, I try to make myself, make put my body in a good shape so that way I can be on the field the whole season and just help the team.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go. Being a World champion? Does it feel different? How has your life changed since winning the World Series?
Speaker 4: It feels great, you know. That's why I think every player played this game just together and have a chance to win everything. And for us it's not different. For me especially, I always one of that and I had it and now I want more.
Speaker 1: I love it. Great to have that smile back in La Tale. I know everybody's really excited and can't wait for spring train to start for you guys to try to run this back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: All right, ta Oscar Hernandez humbled, but still very excited to be back with the Dodgers. It was a place that he wanted to be back, and that's how this all came together. Both sides wanted it to happen. And look, I'm telling you do not close the door on key A Hernandez either. I'm going to tell you in our next segment, how that can happen now, But before we get there, we have phone lines open eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five, seventy. Here are my ti Oscar Hernandez moments from twenty twenty four. And it's not just the postseason. Yes, things ended at Yankee Stadium. Yes he had a big World Series. Yes they celebrated there in the Bronx. But if you go back to June of the regular season, that was Taoscar hernandez Is coming out party for the Dodgers, Taoscar Hernandez coming out party, in my opinion, at Yankee Stadium in June. And I guess it was meant to be for the Dodgers to win the World Series at Yankee Stadium in October because ti Oscar had such a big part of that as well. Now, before they got to the World Series, the Dodgers were almost eliminated by the Padres in the NLDS, and yes, even though they lost Game three in San Diego, I felt like this grand slam by Tioscar Hernandez made a statement to his teammates that this thing should not be considered over.
Speaker 6: Hernandez HiT's a high fly ball center field Merrill going back, he's on the warning track at the.
Speaker 7: Wall gon and grand Tioscar Hernandez barking down the first base line a grand slam of the Dodgers right back in it tail absolutely launched one the dead center field and it's now six to five, four hundred and three feet, his first postseason home run as a Dodger.
Speaker 1: The Padres thought they were on their way to the NLCS when they had that six to nothing lead, and I bet they even thought they were on their way after winning six to five. But I personally believed the Dodgers' postseason fortunes changed in that game, not only because Keyy Hernandez finally got in the starting lineup, but remember Walker Buehler, after giving up those six runs with some poor defense behind him, threw, you know, a gatorade bucket full of bubblegum and kind of screamed at his teammates and let them know it's not acceptable. And then Taoscar Hernandez hit that grand slam to pull the Dodgers within one run in the third inning when a lot of other teams would have just punted on that game. And if you remember, you heard Steven Nelson describe it Taoscar Hernandez was barking not only at the dugout, but he was barking at the guy that was coming up behind him, Max Munsey, to let him know, to try to rally him, to say, you know what, give us a great at bad here. Even though it came as the final out of that inning, Munsey did give a good at bat, so to me, Game three the NLDS was just as important, even in a loss, than any other game in the postseason for the Dodgers as far as their road to the World Championship. All right, here we go, Game five, World Series, right, Ronnie, we got that one's that's number four on our top five. Game five one of the most historic innings in World Series history, where the Yankees just completely opened the door for the Dodgers to come back from the dead and win the World Series. Here it is top of the fifth inning in New York. To Oscar Hernandez ties the game.
Speaker 6: Col out of the stretch the pitch, Hernandez fly ball left center field, judge going back chasing after it, he's not.
Speaker 7: Gonna get there, and what hops up the wall, Momky scars. Here comes Freddy Tioscar Hernandez has tied Game five, two.
Speaker 6: Run double from Tayo.
Speaker 7: Five five in Game five.
Speaker 1: I mean, everybody remembers some of the misplays and all that, but Taoscar Hernandez. That's why he's so vital and why it was so important to bring him back. You don't cash in those runs without Taoscar Hernandez, you don't cash in that win. And I know his defense is considered below par by some, but how about the throw he made in Game three of the World Series to throw out John Carlos Stanton in the bottom of the fourth inning that night.
Speaker 6: Two two volpi to left field. That's gonna drop for a base hit, Stanton being waved around. Here's the on went for Tioscar.
Speaker 7: The play at the play got them cut up the loute hose from Hernandez and left and standing nailed down at the plate.
Speaker 1: So there they are. Those are the five Taoscar Hernandez moments that stand out to me. Did I miss any Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue here on Dodger Talk. Your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy, and I will tell you how to fit Keith K. A Hernandez on this roster. Right now, the Dodger forty man roster is full. I will tell you how to fit key K. A Hernandez, and there is more ways than one to do it, long ways away between now and the start of spring training, and even longer between now and the time the Dodgers uh play in Tokyo, Japan for opening Day. David Vassay our inaugural Dodger talk of twenty twenty five with you until eight o'clock right here on a five seventy LA Sports the City of Los Angeles. A big sigh relief. I thought it was great how Dodgers GM Brandon Gome said at the press conference today that his eight year old daughter had been asking him every day whether or not they were going to bring back Taoscar. I feel like he was speaking for a lot of dads out there that had Dodger fans in their house. Like I mentioned to ta Oscar, my son was asking me every day, did they bring back tail? Did they bring back tail? I said, not yet, but it's so close, And it eventually became official this afternoon. Ta Oscar Hernandez is back. Last year he split time between left and right field. This year, going into spring training, he will be the Dodgers right fielder because they signed Michael Conforto before the holidays and they signed him to a big contract. In fact, Cornfordo's contract was signed officially the same day that Juan Soto signed with the Mets, so maybe that's why it may have got lost in the shuffle. Conforto signed the same night as Juan Soto did. And I think I told this story when I was out there in Dallas. But I walked into the elevator with Scott Boris and his Boris Corp Crewe the night that Juan Soto signed, in the night that Michael Conforto signed, And when I saw Scott, I was like, hey, Confordo, looking forward to it. I think he's a great sign for the Dodgers. And then we got into the elevator and he said, Sodo, it's official. I was like really, He's like, yeah, just a minute ago, Dodgers. It's like, come on. The whole elevator started laughing. He's like, no, no, Mets, Mets. I was like, wo all right, cool being in the same elevator with Scott Boris minutes after Soto signed, and honestly, Michael Conforto got lost in the shuffle there. But looking forward to the Dodgers having Michael Conforto, he is going to benefit tremendously for playing his home games at Dodgers Stadium instead of Oral Park up there in the Bay Area. The Dodgers also made a signing today with the Taoscar Hernandez press conference happening. Moments before it took place, word started to leak out that they signed Korean infielder High Sung Kim, who's twenty five years old and from what I understand, is a great defensive player, but the bat needs to catch up to the glove, and the Dodgers are pretty confident that his bat will catch up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think there's ability to continue to add strength, and I think the there's an approach standpoint, and just some moves that are hitting group sees that we could, you know, make some adjustments to him. He already has really good bat to ball, which is a good foundation obviously, and then you know, being able to impact the ball a little bit more and you know, write out some off CB pitches in a better way. So there's definitely some some pieces there that we feel like we can address to tap into thepside.
Speaker 1: And that was Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes who was talking about the upside of what the Dodgers hope is a better offensive player. Kim did hit three hundred in South Korea, but that's not major league pitching, so it'll be interesting to see whether or not the bat does catch up to the glove. The one thing that I'm being told is don't pigeonhole him as a second baseman. I know that's the way it was being framed earlier today, but my understanding is the Dodgers believe he's a very versatile infielder and they are going to give him opportunities to play shortstop. Which brings me on how the Dodgers are going to fit keyk Hernandez. I think many of you out there are concerned that with this signing of Kim, with Taoscar Hernandez, Confordo, all these guys, there's no room for keyk Hernandez. There is room for Key k Hernandez. And as we get closer to spring training, the way you fit a guy like keyk Hernandez on the roster is starting to play Some of these pitchers and po SI positioned players on the sixty day IL. That's how you open up forty man roster spots, because right now the forty man roster is full, and there's other ways to make room with a trade. Right I know many of you think automatically Gavin Lux is the odd man out. Why would he be automatically the odd man out. There's nothing that says the Dodgers have to trade Gavin Lux right now. He's a proven commodity. No matter if you love him or hate him, or you're kind of indifferent or in the middle. Gavin Lux was part of a World Series championship team last year. He was on. He was in the starting lineup throughout October. He was part of it. You can't deny it, and you can't tell me that you sign a South Korean infielder that has a suspect bat and Andrew Freeman all of a sudden is going to trade Gavin Lux. He is not in a corner to trade Lux right now. And I believe many of you are thinking, well, then just get rid of Chris Taylor. That should be key Key Hernandez's spot. True, he's making what fourteen million dollars this year, the last year of a four year, sixty million dollar contract. But you tell me which team is going to take Chris Taylor. And the Dodgers are not in the business of basically selling off prospects to attach to Taylor's contract, And they pointed out several different times last year that Taylor's second half was much better than what you saw on the surface in totality, So I don't see them just getting rid of Chris Taylor for nothing. It could happen, but I don't see any other team that's going to take Chris Taylor's contract, Which leads me to Miguel Rojas, who is thirty six thirty seven years old. The Dodgers picked up the option days after the World Series five million dollars, and Miguel Rojas is the ultimate insurance policy. He was the insurance policy for Mookie Betts last year. He was supposed to be kind of a utility defensive replace infielder. Turned out they needed him to play a shortstop the rest of the regular season in the second half when they moved Mooki to right field. But like I mentioned earlier, and this is no knock to Miguel Rojas. He was playing her to a certain extent, but his bat was ineffective during the NLDS and the Dodgers' fortunes changed when they moved tom Y Edmund to shortstop and Key k Hernandez to center field. In the playoffs, you can get something for Miguel Rojas. Miguel Rojas is not as versatile as Key k Hernandez or Tommy Edmond or even Mookie Betts. So if you're looking at the logjam of the roster as it's constructed right now, I would say the guy that could be moved is Miguel Rojas. Now, Mookie Betts is supposed to be the everyday shortstop. My understanding is that he's working out every day in the valley here with pet Pete Montero, who is a disciple of Reggie Smith, who's part of Dave Roberts' coaching staff. He's working every day and having a full off season to be the Dodgers shortstop. I guess you could be skeptical about that and believe that with te Oscar and Conforto, if things don't work out the first half of the season, you're going to have to move MOOKI bets off a shortstop and maybe second base now is the only spot for him, and Gavin Lux doesn't fit in. But again, you don't have to trade Gavin Lux now. So it's not just Lux or Tailor. There is Miguel Rojas as well. But I firmly believe the Dodgers are going to find a way to bring back keyk Hernandez. It may not be tomorrow. He may have to wait until you have the flexibility of the roster to put players on the sixty day il and Keik wants to be back, but there are other ways to get Keik on this roster before then. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's take Gilberto in San Diego. Gilberto, Happy New Year.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Belisa, David com Us.
Speaker 1: Oh total BN, Gilberto, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Listen. I'm still enjoying the championship, okay, and like the Oscar going back and remembering that magnificent run. And I'm really happy that they've got the Oscar back, and I think we're gonna have a great year again. I mean, this team is loaded and I can't wait for the season to start. I'm gonna enjoy the championship until the season starts in the USA, not in.
Speaker 1: It's kind of weird how the Dodgers when they do come back to North America, Opening Day at Dodgers Stadium is against the Detroit Tigers. Uh feel safe to say that's the first time ever that has happened.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, oh yeah, And it should be great because they have a good team.
Speaker 1: Remember they're all right, all right, they're not as good as the Dodgers. You can I'm guaranteeing a home open win already against the Tigers on ring Day.
Speaker 9: Oh, let's hope. So they're gonna have a magnificent year, and I'm gonna I'm gonna look for you when you come down to San Diego. Okay, I already got my tickets.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll see you down there, Gilberto, thanks a lot for the phone call. And look going back to uh, you know the shortstop situation. BET's Edmund Kim and Key k are more versatile than Miguel Rojas's. So if you need to find a way to get Keyk on this roster, that would be a way. But I'm not saying that they should trade Miguel Rojas I'm just saying there are other ways for keyk to fit other than the obvious ones that you're thinking about. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Receita. John. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, John?
Speaker 3: Hey Dave, Happy New Year? Thanks for taking my call. My pleasure was I just got out of the meeting.
Speaker 10: But I heard Odd you're talking.
Speaker 3: I called and I wanted to find out what's happening with Chris Taylor. Are they going to trade or is he still in a contract?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: That that was my point. He's not getting traded because nobody would take his contract. So you're stuck with.
Speaker 3: Him, right, But what about this year? What about this year?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 3: He We're stuck with him.
Speaker 1: One more year. This will be the final year on his contract yet. All right, okay, John, But I'm just saying there are other ways to get KIK on this roster. Eight six six five seventy is the phone number. Happy New Year. I guess right. That's the reaction from John. Let's go out to Hal and Weneka. You're on Dodger Dog. How you doing?
Speaker 7: Hell?
Speaker 9: Hey, Dave?
Speaker 2: Really looking forward to the coming season. I really liked what the Dodgers did in the off season. I think starting pitching is still going to be an issue. I mean, Gonsolin, may Kershaw Show. Hey, they're all coming off of surgeries, so you know, whatever we can get out of any of those guys is kind of a plus. But my main point is I don't like what's what's happening with Mookie Bets. Mookie Bets is a multi Gold Glove winner in right field. Uh, he's one. He's probably the best right fielder in the game right now. Yeah, and by any metric that you would use, last year he was a blow average shortstop. So I think the Dodgers are kind of indulging their their superstar here. I think this is Mookie maybe getting a little bored in right field and trying to, you know, start a new challenge. But really, he wasn't great at shortstop and now you got but let's see.
Speaker 1: What it like. I'm willing to give Mookie the benefit of the doubt having a full off season to prepare for shortstop rather than learning it on the fly. The throws have to get better, that's what he's working on. But look, the versatility is what makes Mookie special. If it doesn't work out, he can play second base. Right now, they're locked in in the core or outfield spots. But as you know, it's a long season. A lot can happen. So right now, how I'm willing to give Mooki the benefit of the doubts.
Speaker 2: He's never gonna be as good an infielder as he is a right fielder.
Speaker 1: Well he is. He is the best right fielder in.
Speaker 2: The last Why mess with that?
Speaker 1: Because they felt like they can make their lineup deeper by moving him to the infield and signing Conforto and having ta Oscar play right field. Now, if Mookie wants to play center, I mean that could happen, But do you really want him covering all that ground? I'm willing to give him. I want to see what it looks like after a full off season of working at the position.
Speaker 2: We'll see and they get I know how they're going to get back. How they let him sign a one year Shelby contract with someone else. He's gonna be batting around two hundred most of the season. They pick him up on the chief right before the trade deadline, and he does this thing in the playoffs for us next year.
Speaker 1: Okay, hell, thanks a lot for the phone call. I appreciate it. You need two to tangle, right if I'm sure other teams know that Kiki is really good in the postseason, so I'm sure there would be other teams trying to get him if that was the case. Man, how salty before even a pitch is thrown in spring training? Pitchers and catchers haven't even reported, and he's already salty after the World Series Championship. I'm willing to give Mooki the benefit of the doubt, but here's the reality. You have three guys that are super versatile that can play shortstop on this roster, Mooki, tom Y Edman and High Sung Kim. Where does Miguel Rojas play? Where does he play? When does he play? He's the ultimate insurance policy. And look, if they signed keyk Hernandez, he can play a lot of center field. He's versatile in that way. And look, we'll see how it plays out. But it's not just always the obvious moves that you can find ways to make room on your roster. That's my point. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number when we continue, you'll hear from Walker Bueler he'll take you deeper inside of that Fat Joe debacle in Game three. And also you'll hear from Brandon Gomes on what else is left on the Dodgers off season shopping list. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And I never get tired of hearing where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series. I will ask for that during the regular season, and I will never get tired of hearing it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodger Talk rolls on until eight o'clock on a five to seventy LA Sports off season Dodger Talk. Our next show is going to be next Thursday now night at seven o'clock. I'll try to secure another World Series champion Dodger to join us seven o'clock next Thursday night, and of course you'll hear me all week long with Petro some money, and we'll see about Rogan Rodney. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. You'll hear from Walker Bueller in a moment. But I told you before the break, I am never going to get tired of hearing about where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series. It's R. Kirk Gibson, right, it was R. Kirk Gibson of this generation, your Kirk Gibson moment of this generation. I remember where I was when Gibby hit his home run in nineteen eighty eight. I was in West Hills, my mom's small, probably fifteen inch TV, watching the World Series, thinking, man, this is rough getting phone calls from people teasing me. Back when people called your house phone teasing me. After Conseco's Grand Slam, the Dodgers were cooked and Kirk Gibson came to the plate and changed everything. Same with Freddie Freeman and Ronnie Fossio, who's a big Dodger fan, a season ticket holder. I have not asked you this question, Ronnie, and I'm very curious. It's not just going through the motions. I really want to know where people were when Freddie hit his grand Slam. So where were you, Ronnie?
Speaker 5: Well, Dave, I was home. I was home with my wife, my son Julian, and his fiance, say Sydney, and we were watching the game, just like all every household in the city of Los Angeles. And when that moment happened, I just let out a scream. Everybody started jumping up and down, started yelling at the top of our lungs. I opened the door and walked outside and let out a primal scream. I screamed, Dave, as loud as I've ever screamed in my entire life. And as I was doing that, I thought you might cry. Fireworks were going off really in the San Fernando Valley in North Hollywood, in the North Hollywood area.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, you probably were not the only one screaming, and there might have been some fireworks.
Speaker 5: There was some hooting and hollering down the street. There's there are a few houses that had their Dodger flags posted, and so I have to imagine that was coming from down the street and just basically everywhere all over the place. And I did explain to my son Julian, this is exactly what happened in nineteen eighty eight, and this is this is your nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, and what what a time would have cried I thought maybe you would have cried.
Speaker 5: You know, I didn't cry, but you know what I did I did do is I did kind of get just a little emotional because I thought of my father.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, your dad was a big Dodge My father was a.
Speaker 5: Big Dodger fan, and so I, you know, I just it was. It was a very very moving moment in the Fossio household. All right, well, thank you for asking.
Speaker 2: Dave.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, oh David, of course.
Speaker 5: More yeah, of course we watched you get drenched in the locker room and it was it was glorious.
Speaker 1: Well that was after Game five. That was after Game five of the World Series, and by the way, before you got to Game five and after game one, ice Cube did a great job at Dodgers Stadium. His performance was legendary, just like the Dodgers performance was legendary. And Fat Joe's performance was as embarrassing as the Yankees defense was in Game five. And Walker Bueller, we all talk about Game five and just his heroics and that will never get old either. But nobody has heard this part of the World Series story for Walker Bueller. Yes, he did start Game three at Yankee Stadium the same night Fat Joe fell flat on his face. And here was Walker Buehler's first hand experience as he was warming up for that game and Fat Joe was embarrassing himself on the field. This was Walker Buehler on his podcast Just Baseball.
Speaker 10: And I don't know how intentional this was or who made this decision, but the games at whatever say it's at seven to ten, I think at seven fifteen, and they got Fat Joe going out there right, they turned off They turned off the entire stadium lights, including the bullpens, from seven oh two until seven thirteen. They did not turn the lights back on until the Yankees went on to the field. So there was like eight or ten minutes that I couldn't I needed to throw about twelve more pitches that the catcher could not see the ball, and so I could not throw. I didn't get to throw a single ball. So what I ended up doing was we have the track man, which is on a tripod. I fired six balls directly at the track man. I walked in. The lights are still off. The Yankees take the field while I'm walking in, I walk up to the umpires, I go they got to fix it for tomorrow. And he was like, yeah, I don't know why they did that or how they can do that. I was like, you guys need to tell somebody. So we walk into the dugout and everyone was like you get it because I was pissed off, and I was like yeah, they and then I just walked in and then we had the game. But so everything goes pretty clean for a minute. Fourth inning, Tail makes that throw and I'm backing up but I'm late, and so i I'm like almost against the backside, but I'm not even turned around like I just saw it like this. I wasn't even I wasn't like standing there like they're supposed to be. So I ended up screaming like directly at the people in the front row, like very very very loudly, and I don't know what I said. I imagine it had some F word in it, but like right in somebody's face, Like I imagine I'm the same face that keeps going around with me, like in the little do not dog pile thing. But I bet it looked just like that, and I bet I was like eighteen inches from these people's face.
Speaker 1: How about that Walker Buehler taking us inside again, this time for Game three of the World Series as he was warming up and the lights went out, not only at the stadium but on fad Joe's career. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. And man, it's hard to believe Walker Buehler is not going to be a Dodger. I guess all of us haven't really let it sink in that he's a Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I posted something on Instagram. He's posted things on Instagram. It's just it's gonna be different without Walker Bueller. But Andrew Friedman was in a tough spot too. Tommy John Surgeries missed a month with the right hip. It's hard to ignore all those things and not let your emotions get in the way. But many people believe that when they signed Blake Snell that closed the door on bueller come out back. I don't see it that way. I feel like when they signed Tyler glass Now, that was the money you could have gave Walker Buehler. So I kind of felt like, man, if Buehller was healthier, he probably gets the glass Now money right instead. Second, Tommy John Surgery, it's a rough go to come back, and he misses a month with a hip issue. Two. I mean, that's a gamble. But I will tell you this, from my understanding, the Dodgers did offer the same one year deal that Buehller got from the Red Sox, and the Dodgers offered that at the very beginning of the off season, and he was looking to possibly get more, but it obviously wasn't what turned out to be for him, and he's a Red Sox, so the Dodgers at the beginning of the off season, my understanding is they did offer the same contract that he eventually got from the Red Sox. But if that's the case, the qualifying offer was only twenty million dollars. You could have just given him that and probably he accepts it. I don't know, but maybe he declines it because I think he had visions of a multi year contract for close to seventy five million dollars. But obviously that didn't come from a winning team or he probably would have taken it. But it stinks. The circumstances stink that it had to come to that, right because we all wished that they would have been different. But it's a tough spot for the Dodgers. That's all I'm gonna say, it's not a slam dunk that you bring back Walker Buehler. It's a tough spot, and I firmly believe that it wasn't the Snell contract. It was more the money they committed to Glass now and really the You can't bring back a guy that had a five to six ERA for more than one year, but they did try. Eight six seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Manny in Guardina.
Speaker 11: How you doing, Manny, Oh, Dave Man?
Speaker 12: Kind of like Hilberto and San Diego Minermano del tra Madre, I am still man just like enploying this Dodger Blue Heaven bliss.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 13: You know, I can't say how proud I am of this team, the guts they showed, the moxy down the stretch it is. It's gonna be tough to see Walker Buner in the Red Sox uniform, but I like the reinforcements we're bringing in. You never know, especially with the Red Sox and the Dodgers pipeline. Maybe it's not the last time that we see Walker Bler in LA But man, I'm just I'm just loving it.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 13: I'll answer your question where I was for the Grand Slam. So I was out of town that week for the specific reason of being able to watch as much Dodger baseball as possible and not being bothered. All right, So I got to watch the whole Mets series pretty much unbothered, and watched that Game one and I was just like, man, you gotta be kidding me. Man, what a game. We're down three to two, and I was just like, I had this feeling, man, it's not over. And sure enough, Freddy Freeman goes legend, I mean, legend of the game, first walk off, Grand Slam and World Series history. I mean it was epic, man. So I'm just gonna keep enjoying this thing until the Dodgers face Detroit. Then i'll be you know, on twenty twenty five. But right now we're still the world at the Jampions Baby.
Speaker 1: I love it, Thank you many, and you can enjoy it that day as well. The Dodgers are going to get their World Series rings on that home opener day against the Tigers. It should be a marvelous day Dodger Stadium, as it always is even when you're not getting rings, but a little bit more blingy this home opener, and I guess that's good. You know, it's kind of like if the Lakers were opening up against I don't know, Charlotte. That's how I look at it. Dodgers against Tigers. You enjoy the ring ceremony, and I have visions of Snell Zilla being the home opener starter for the Dodgers that day. Let's go out to Culver City. Seth, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Seth?
Speaker 11: Hey, good Dave, thanks for taking my call. I just I'm just basking obviously in basking still and winning the World Series. But then this offseason, I hope Dodger fans aren't sleeping on how good this offseason is. I mean, she'll start real quick. Snell. We know how good he is.
Speaker 5: When he's on.
Speaker 11: He's unhittable. Tryning I can say the same thing about him. He's arguably the best reliever in the league. When he's on Conforto, you're gonna have a guy in your seven or eight hole that hits twenty home runs in the left side. Then you get this guy out of nowhere today from Korea. I didn't even know who he was, but after I started looking at it, I'm like, holy crap. They stole this guy. Man, they stole this guy from the league. And I heard that he actually could have taken more money possibly and gone to another team on more years, but he wanted to come to LA and then I'll just I'll leave it at this. Of course I didn't mention Tao enough, said Tayo. But are we going to get more spoiled? I'm hearing rumors still about, you know, is it possible we could get Tanner Scott. I don't see the Dodgers going sixty million on a left handed reliever. Is that just a pipe dream at this point? What's your take on that? Or do they feel they got enough in the pen right now? What's you're feeling on that?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 1: I feel like the pen is still an area that they want to add to. And look, if Tanner Scott is not going to get the big multi year deal that he wants, who's to say he won't take a one year deal from the Dodgers or a two year deal right and then go back out on the market. And that's always more comfortable for a team, especially with a relief. And let's not forget Otani has had fits facing Tanner Scott. So if you sign Tanner Scott, you take away that weapon for let's say the New York Mets to throw at Otani in a possible playoff rematch. That's another layer to that, right. If you signed Tanner Scott, a guy that Otani has had trouble hitting, Otani doesn't have to worry about him anymore.
Speaker 11: I mean, that's a great point, and I've heard that. I've heard that mentioned. I'm sure the Dodgers are considering that as part of it. I'm just to me, it feels as though, Okay, I know Sasaki is still hanging out there and that's another dream for Dodger fans.
Speaker 1: But he won't cost that much. He won't hit the gable that hard. But I love what you said. I love what you said. I feel like Dodger fans might be sleeping on the fact that the Dodgers' front office has been the most aggressive front office this offseason and they're coming off winning the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just think who does that?
Speaker 1: Who does that?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Who does exactly?
Speaker 9: Who does that?
Speaker 11: And I will say it's a beautiful example though, of a organization and ownership group paying the fans back for their commitment. You know, if you're drawing four million fans plus every year. It's really it's kind of cool to watch a team that you can be proud of from the top down. And man, this offseason has just been unreal. And I hope dodri fail. I mean, get ready, man, because I'm not somebody, I'm kind of a realist. But they are legit ready to run this back. And if we can grab Sasaki and or another great reliever Tanner Scott where are the holes? Where are the holes? I don't see him.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Seth, They're in a great position to run it back for sure. Thanks for the phone call. Call me back next Thursday night. And let's not forget at the end of the postseason. Last year, Evan Phillips was not on the World Series roster. He had some shoulder discomfort. Alex Vesia missed the NLCS with something too. So are those guys going to be reliable or are they a ticking time bomb? With the injuries that they ended the season with. I mean, these guys, the bullpen was pushed to the limits, and that's why I believe the Dodgers are very much aware that they need some fresh arms that weren't part of that bullpen that was leaned upon more than any other bullpen in baseball last year, not only during the regular season, but especially during the postseason. Don't forget about those things. That's these guys are human beings. Even though they have a full offseason to try to regroup and regenerate and get those things fixed or fresh, it doesn't always happen that way. And Brandon Gomes the Dodgers GM was asked about what's left on the Dodgers shopping list, and he did say, bullpen.
Speaker 8: You know what, the reliever market looks like. We feel really good at about our pen as is, but obviously it's an area that we'd always look to add, especially with the prices that relievers come with at the deadline, so being able to do as much work now would be advantageous for us. I think it's kind of playing those things out and I'm sure you guys hate and they are tired of me saying it, but just being opportunistic in a lot of different areas to try to add talent to the team.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go. He's talking about the bullpen. And look, did you know who Evan Phillips was before the Dodgers turn him into super reliever. Did you know who Alex Vessio was when they traded Dylan Floor to the Marlins for him. I bet you didn't. So it's not always the obvious free agent that's going to cost a lot of money, like Tanner Scott. It could be an on the margin trade that turns into an Evan Phillips or turns into Alex Vessia. When the Dodgers signed Blake Trent and he was coming off, you know, a good year in Oakland but had some back issues, and they signed him to a one year contract, and look where he's at now. He's won two World Series Championships and has been one of the best relievers in baseball. So it's not always the obvious big sign to make room on this roster for a Kik Hernandez or a Roki Sazaki. You can make trades and maybe relievers that you don't know our household names turn into Evan Phillips or turn into Alex Vesia. So Bruce dar graderol guys like that. They can happen without the obvious sign. All right, that'll do it for us, our first Dodger Talk of twenty twenty five. It was a great one. Great to reconnect with you. In case you missed any of the show or our conversation with Teoscar Hernandez. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. You can follow me on social media on Instagram at officially Vassa and on x at the Real Underscore dv. Our next show is next Thursday night at seven o'clock. We'll have another special guest for you that night. You could be assured of that, and we'll take more of your phone calls and we'll see what other moves the Dodgers make. They have been the most aggressive team this offseason, coming off a World Series championship. Thanks to Ronnie Fascio for all his help. Thanks to you for listening. Have a great weekend and we'll talk to you next week. Cel