Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Hey lay the cable guy, and you're listening to tech cock Radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin Lemme.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It's been a really fast week.
Speaker 3: A lot happened this week, like we were just here like yesterday or something. Right, it kind of felt.
Speaker 4: This week blew by, and I had so much going on at work with the new president of the university getting inaugurated, it just was absolute chaos.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, so you're going you getting a new president, We're getting a new one year at the University of Arizona as well. They're making a big change in the hierarchy. So you're doing the same.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Right now. What kind of stuff do you do that ties to that? Is it like announcements video throughout the school? How does that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So there was there was some announcements we covered, Like they had a gala event for him, so it was like a big party that they did a big speech for it. He did the speech on the main steps of the main building and a procession across campus and then they did a mass, and then he had his actual like inauguration event. So I think we did like five live events for him over the course of three days.
Speaker 3: Right. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Now has he been at campus with like in a different position.
Speaker 4: Before moving on teaching. He's been teaching here on campus.
Speaker 1: That's pretty prestigious though, to be the president of Notre Dame. I mean that's huge, the seventeenth president.
Speaker 4: It's not like the pope or anything.
Speaker 3: That, Right, How does one just go from being like a professor to like the president of the university?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you have to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. There was a lot involved. I know it was along a lengthy search of national worldwide search basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they found him right there at home. Yeah, I'll tell you a funny story. But I had to introduce our guy, who is Robert Robbins, and I had to introduce him at a big event they were doing at the University of Arizona. Well, the guy that got me and and Barry, my former morning show partner a gig in across town at a different radio station was the guy that you may remember as Charlie Brown Peter Robbins, and he was the voice of a Charlie Browns he's no longer whether he passed away, had a lot of issues, had he had some I mean, he did some jail time, he did some some stuff like that. But before all of that happened, back before two thousand, Uh, it was Peter Robbins. So I'm I'm introducing the president of the u of A, you know, mister Robbins. And I introduced him as Peter Robbins. And I remember he kind of gave me a look and I didn't even realize what I did, and I'm thinking I just introduced him as Charlie brown.
Speaker 3: Oh. So.
Speaker 1: Uh. The good news though, for for you, Sean, is even with this, you know, the president you had, there was a game they were playing Purdue. There was a win, sixty sixty seven. Wo wow, that's huge.
Speaker 3: I see. I'm I'm a Notre Dame fan, so I'm always happy about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: It was not expected that we'd beat him by that much. I think there was an expectation that we would beat them, but I mean I think in the first six or seven minutes of the game we were up like eighteen or something. It was crazy like and then it just kept going and.
Speaker 3: They kind of gave up.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I don't know if you saw like the wide shots of the stadium, but like it was all Notre Dame fans at the end. No, there was like hardly any Purdue fans there at all.
Speaker 3: Of course, not would be probably left of the half.
Speaker 1: To follow up on last week, we talked. We talked a lot of stuff about Pixel. There's been some some some stuff going on with that we'll tell you about in a little bit. But Justin was going to go for his second gig as a DJ, and you did. How did you go? Was the what was the gig?
Speaker 3: Like? Yeah, No, it was. It was really good.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was called park Fest and it was like the last of like the summer concert series put on by the Parks and Rec District that I worked for. And you know, I volunteered my time to just go out there and have some fun. I mean, honestly, I just I did it because it's it's fun for me. But yeah, I went out there. It was It was interesting because I was I was supposed to go on at five, five to six, but I don't know if it was the band that was late or if it was the sound company that was late or I don't I don't know what it was, but they were doing like sound check until like almost five thirty, right, and I'm just like I'm just kind of standing there like come on, like this is this is my time? Like I want to play, because I mean I had the whole thing ready to go. I had all the songs picked out, everything ready to go, and they got down with their soundcheck and I was able to finally play. And once I started playing, the band which happened to be like it was They're They're They're a pretty well known band in the Colorado scene, fifty two eighties band because it's you know, fifty two eighty the altitude of Denver, fifty two eighty, but their eighties band, so it's fifty two eighties.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's clever.
Speaker 3: Like so, but I was playing a lot of eighties throwbacks, but there were club remixes, and the lead singer of the band came up to me like after like the second song I was playing. He was like, Wow, you you're really good at this. You like, do you do this normally? And I was like, uh, actually, I haven't done this in like fifteen years. Yep, and he's he's like, you know, actually, we're just gonna let you play until like six ' ten because we're supposed to go on at six, but we're just gonna give you a little extra time because you're doing an amazing job. And I was like, oh, that's cool. I appreciate it. So then, you know, I introduced him and yeah, you know, and then they went and but also he had he come back. He came back up to me before they went on, and he was like, do you wanna do you want to DJ in between our sets, like when we take a break, you know, like at the top of each hour, for like fifteen minutes. And I wasn't planning on it, but I was like, uh, yeah, sure I can do that. No big deals, kind of normals. Yeah. So I definitely I did that, and knowing what my job was, my job was basically to you know, keep people there, keep people excited, keep people engaged. I got to say there was probably like four to five hundred people there.
Speaker 1: WHOA, and it's good.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was that was probably the biggest, you know, event that I DJ'ed for, even though again I wasn't the main event, which by all means I don't really want to be the main event.
Speaker 1: But it was cool.
Speaker 3: I just had a lot of fun and people enjoyed it. People said I did a great job, and you know, I appreciated that, and yeah, that was about it. But I really, I really liked it. As a matter of fact, at the end of the whole thing that the band, the band guy lead singer, was like, can you open for us everywhere we go?
Speaker 1: That's a good way.
Speaker 3: Well, I said maybe, I said, we can talk. I'll give you my information, but I can't make any guarantees. But that'd be kind of cool, you know, to come out and open for the band. But I just yeah, I just yeah. I just don't know how how often that is and what they pay, and you know kind of stuff, but yeah, it'd be interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The point I was gonna make is is you should be thankful of one thing that the band that was playing that night was fifty two eighties, great great name and wasn't Jane's addiction.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, yeah, Perry Farrell Man, that is just that guy has gone off the deep end.
Speaker 1: I've always liked Dave Navarro. I've always as a musician for those that don't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: James.
Speaker 1: Addiction is a band that's been around for a long time. Been cut Stealing, you know that one of the big songs, you know that crossed over. But you know, they've had a good following. They were doing a show and Perry Farrell, who's I guess.
Speaker 3: Would he be the lead vocalist, you know, was the lead singer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man and Dave Navarro all of a sudden, I don't know what it was, you just attacked them while they were performing.
Speaker 3: So what they were saying on the reddits was that Perry was coming off of having like laryngitis and his his voice didn't sound great, so they were basically drowning out his voice.
Speaker 1: So they were playing too loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were playing too loud. He was getting frustrated with them, and then he took it out on Dave Navarro and tried to throw a punch. They say, they said he punched him, but you look at it, he kind of like kind of like shoved him off more like, yeah, he didn't really. But anyway, they stopped the concert immediately, and they they canceled a couple extra events and stuff because of it. But yeah, that's just come on, man, you guys go way back. How can you do that?
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable? That was just so uncomfortable to watch. But again, you can see the video for that up on uh up on the YouTube. So, Sean, I don't want to upset you too much, Sean, but I gotta show you that I did something. I did something. After we talked on last week's show, I decided I would go ahead and bite the bullet and I went ahead and I got the Google Pixel nine XL. Yeah. I wanted to try it outcome to the dark side. I went to best Buy. This guy was like twelve hundred bucks and I was like, oh gosh, what if I don't like it? What if you know I'm not going to be used to it? And I asked him, I said, how long do I have to decide? They told me I have fifteen days. I'll what I'll pay is a forty five dollars fee if that's the case, which is you know with the fee that.
Speaker 3: They used stocking today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's what it'll be. And then I can you know, I still have my original you know, iPhone fourteen promacs and which I'm using with the Wi Fi for all the apps of my games. Everything transferred over and that was kind of cool. It was a very easy experience, although it was really strange justin because you know, on the iPhone, I'm using an eSIM, there's two a SIMS I guess you could use for that. But on the Google Pixel they actually put a physical SIM card in the device, saying that Horizon has been having an issue. This is a Verizon rep at Best Buy with SIMS that people get in charged twice, and so they're putting an actual physical SIM in that. And you're saying they do have e SIMS.
Speaker 3: They do. As a matter of fact, Yes, they absolutely do. According you know, I know for a fact I have the Pixel nine fold, which is one step up from the Pixel nine XL. I do not have a physical SIM in my car and on my phone neither did I have a physical SIM in my Pixel eight pro. And according to Android authority dot com right now, all Pixel nine devices have dual SIMS support and they have the eSIM. So, I honestly I'm sorry to say this. Andy. I think he got ripped off by the guy the Verizon rep. He basically sold you something that you did not need. Ten bucks is what costs. But still, yeah, yeah, you don't need it. They have the capability of doing.
Speaker 1: An sim so it really if I do end up taking it back, it's gonna be forty five bucks plus a ten by that it pot because basically it's going to do nothing for me, and I don't want to leave it in.
Speaker 3: So I'm the only blue bubble now yep.
Speaker 1: Right now? Yeah, well okay, so we have to remember though, earlier this week on Monday, iOS eighteen came out with RCS support, which means that you're gonna have better messaging capabilities on the big ones that's AT and T, Verizon and who's the other guy that's out there, T Bubble, so to be able to send messages back and forth.
Speaker 3: Wait, are you saying iOS eighteen for Apple that just came out, That just came out RS supports r CS finally, Now it's not I.
Speaker 4: Do not I do not have IOSA ten yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's carrier. It's carrier supporter, So it's gonna be up to the carriers to carry it. Mint Mobile doesn't carry it yet. Google five does not carry it yet. So just those three big ones Welcome twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I just theme the memes that have been IOSA means twenty eighteen. I mean literally, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how many yeah, how many times have you gotten a video from somebody that is sent from an Android device and you're on an iPhone and it just looks awful?
Speaker 3: Well, it's exact opposite for me because I've been on andreid for a long time. But yeah, people send me a video from an Apple to an Android, Yeah, and it looks horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the thing is you gotta understand RCS is the industry standard. Apple is the one who refuses to do it, and they were basically forced to do it, and that's why they finally did it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Everybody else in the world was using RCS well.
Speaker 1: But now it's up to the carriers. Now it's up to Google Fi, and it's up to the others to say, okay, let's make this happen. And now I haven't been able to test it yet because even though I put iOS eighteen this morning on my iPhone, I don't have the ability to really test this.
Speaker 3: It should be able to you should be able to message via Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I think I can because I have gotten messages on it. But I wanted to do it WiFi, miss, I really want to do it. I can't send it to myself. This house is an I. It's basically in Apple an iPhone, you know, blue bubble house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you're slowly don you're slowly converting. But you know, as Sean mentioned there just a couple of seconds ago, about these these memes that have come out. I sent you guys it's a meme, but it honestly really isn't a meme. It was literally a side by side comparison of the six Apple iPhone sixteen pro right versus the twenty eighteen model of a Samsung Galaxy S twenty four I want to say it twenty three or something like that was from twenty eighteen. The specs from twenty eighteen on the Samsung were as good, if not better, than the most current twenty twenty four iPhone. This is just getting ridiculous that Apple sits there and touts all these new quote unquote features and all this great stuff about their phones when they're literally six years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I will say something though. I will say I am not used to the interface, and it's gotten me the point where I'd been like, yeah, we're go take this back, because so here here's the deal with the uh with the pixel right, and I've got a transfer all my apps. The only one that it did not do with all my data that was a part of it is Royal Match, the game that I play every day. I'm up on level sixty one hundred.
Speaker 3: Well, Royal Match is one of those super cell games, right, yes, yeah, So all you got to do is sign up for your super Cell ID, which is I should have built it built into the app itself. So go to your old and then into your safe and then you sign into your super cell ID on the new phone, all right, and it will transfer all your stuff over.
Speaker 1: Okay, but all right, that's good to don't that's the only one that didn't work. You do have to go through processes with each one, like log in. You know, that's fine. I understand that, speaking up processes.
Speaker 3: If you do use two factor authentication, like let's say Google Authenticator or Microsoft Duo or Microsoft Authenticator or even Duo, you need to make sure not to factory reset your old device until you have transferred over the two factor authentication to the new phone. I made that mistake. When I went from a pixel seven to a pixel eight, I had factor reset the pixel seven, and then I had to reset up all of my two factors manually by contacting support for all these websites that had two factor on them because I lost access to the phone. If you do it the right way, all you have to do is simply scan a QR code from your old phone onto your new phone, and it will just transfer over all your two factors over to that new device. But if you don't do it, oh man, you're in for a wolder hurt. Well.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I noticed when it transferred all the apps there is just you just scroll up, just app after app after app. I got a lot of apps now, and on the iPhone. It's pretty nice because I open it up and then I could scroll left, you know, and go, okay, there's the page with my internet based apps. Keep going. There's my food apps. Well, you could keep going. You just got to sort them out. There's my video apps. With the Android. I noticed I can create those, so I can go left and there's a page with restaurants. There's a page with you know, video apps. There's a page with your utilities However, it still leads all of the apps when you scroll up there's they don't like suddenly move into that.
Speaker 3: I never use that scroll page on an Android. I I have everything that I need laid out on my I guess you would call it your desktop, right, right, because that's kind of what it is. It's like your desktop. I have folders. It's just like the iOS. The containers that I put my apps in. So I have a container for work, I have a container for shopping, a container for TV, a container for finance, and all those apps are in that container. So it just takes a little bit of just organizing your apps. But yeah, that scroll thing that you talked about for all your apps, I never use that.
Speaker 1: You know what also kind of ticked me off when I was going through it and you talk about, you know, you got the containers. The whole bit is that the the AI which I really was looking for to testing out now, Gemini, the Gemini the adme feature in a photo is kind of cool. I might use that, you know once in a while. That was neat. But the Gemini reimagining that you did with the gentleman sitting in the chair and then it put them on the beach. I thought it was cool. I was kept trying and trying. I think I even sent you a testco and this is driving me nuts. And then it was when I realized you draw around the person and then that will be the replacement background for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kind of thought it was all done audio wise, and I'm like, okay, okay, that's not that way. You can prompt it via audio, and then like okay. I got a little fed up with Siri when you would say you know something and it would like not respond or say I can't I can't tell you that, or blah blah blah. With the Google Gemini, it can't shut him up. He'll like he'll go on. Like I asked him, I said, can you tell me about music of the generation that was born in the forties? What music do they like today? Right? And he went on for like fifteen minutes and I was like, oh, I'm well, okay, maybe ten either way, it was a long time.
Speaker 3: I was like, dude, please be quiet, just give me. Never had a response more than like ten seconds.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, dude, this was long. I was like, wow, So I don't know what I did, what I've brought out in this this voice. But it was like, yeah, it was. It was a little irritating. So I don't know, Like I said, maybe I'll have to get used to that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I can just tell you. I can tell you right now. The most recent experience I've had with, you know, going from an iPhone to Android was with my wife. And now my wife is not a technical person. She had an iPhone for many, many years and then it was about what three years ago now maybe I think it was about three years ago. I forcefully switched her to an Android. I said, no, we're not keeping Apple in this house. You are going to go Android. She's like, I don't want Android. I said, too bad, You're gonna get an Android. It took her about three months to kind of just get used to the daily flow of it, but she would kind of rearrange your icons and you know, do things as But now I asked her, you know, would you ever go back to an iPhone? She says, absolutely not. Real Android is miles ahead of iPhone. She's like, I love this phone.
Speaker 1: I just I just like the way it's it's laid out on the iPhone. That's gonna be a hard adjustment for me, Sean, I know you would probably have the same issues probably.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm very particular about the way I have things laid out on my phone, Like I don't have any Rogue icons. They're all just in folders. It's all grouped, and you know, I'm just used.
Speaker 1: To the way.
Speaker 4: I've just used to the way I've got things filtered and set up. I've had an iPhone since.
Speaker 1: The first nine yeah, so it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of what I know now. I've had Android phones before. Right when I worked for Tribune, I had in Android phones that was my work phone. So I've used Android and I see the benefits and I understand that they are light years ahead of Apple and certain things. But for me and my family, it makes sense to stay Apple, right because I would say ninety percent of my family are on Apple devices, meaning facetiming is easier right now out Granted, now with with iOS seventeen, you could add non Apple people into facetimes. It's easier to share photos, it's easier to share across my my MacBook, my iMac, my iPads, my mom's iPads. Right, It's it's from a ease of use for other people in my family to get and receive media of my children, so I can quickly just send photos and videos to my parents, other people, you know, and it's all through iCloud. It's that's what makes it. That's what makes me stay with Apple.
Speaker 3: Right, understand that tech tech tech.
Speaker 4: Technologically, I would go to Android.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I just can't leave that environment of how easy things are for me and my family to share things that we watch. My brothers don't have Iowa, don't have Apple devices, right, but it's my parents, Kyle's parents, well, Kale's parents have Android too. But the majority of the people that I share media with friends and family, all most of them have Apple toys.
Speaker 1: Gloria said something to me though that made me go, well, wait a minute, because she said, well, if you take the Pixel nine Excel back, because maybe you're just not adjusted to it. She said, why don't you get a Mac and then your iPhone will coordinate with the Mac. And then I thought to myself, wait a minute, she's telling me I could buy a Mac.
Speaker 3: Really, dude, go now, go now, don't don't question it, don't question it, just do it.
Speaker 4: You know, I will say like when when Apple to kind of segue a little bit into the computer side of Apple, right, right, Apple jumping to their own silicon with the the M chips right was a huge risk for them, but it is paid dividends right there their multimedia side of their their Apple silicon with the M two, the M three, and you know, they're probably announced the M four here pretty soon. Right. They are leaps and bounds ahead of Intel and AMD in terms of of like media production. They're I'm trying to think of the right right word set, but what they're doing in the media world is light years ahead of MD and Intel, and they have a foothold on that industry right now. And you can't get a like if you spend wanted to spend six hundred dollars, you can get a Mac Mini with an M two chip in it. And for that price, you have a really good multimedia platforms like a good multimedia platform like you can use it to use Premiere, you can use it Lightroom, you have all these Adobe apps that you can use, Final Cut, those types of things, and it's a workhorse for six hundred bucks. So unless unless you're looking at using Premiere on a home built system, or you're looking at, you know, using a higher end am D or an Intel processor. Right there's you're gonna get more bang for your buck with lower end M two, M two or M three chips in the Mac Minis than you are for a home built PC.
Speaker 1: All right, we get we got to take a quick break. We come back. I know you've got another thought justin. We'll share that when we come back with more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm Justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back and now fact to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: Now. Before the break, Sean was talking about the benefits of the Macmini, you know, bang for your bucks six seven hundred dollars to kind of get an entry into Apple. Sean, I'm not going to argue with that by any means, because you are absolutely correct with that. However, I believe that's kind of how Apple wants you to get hooked. You know, well, it's like getting a taste.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure, I'm not gonna get that.
Speaker 3: It's getting a taste of it. And then once you're hooked, now you're gonna start going for their Mac pros, their MacBooks. Because first off, Mac Minnie. It is literally it's a desktop, right. People don't want desktops anymore. They want things on the go. They want to be able to take it wherever they want. How are they gonna do that? You can't do that with a Mac Mini. You're gonna have to go with a MacBook, MacBook Pro those things. The price on MacBook pros is insane for what you get. You could easily get a PC for half the price that can do just as much as a Mac Cain or Great.
Speaker 1: A really good, like high end gaming laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I do understand, you know, and going back to our days back in TV industry, sean Mac was everywhere. When it came to that industry, you know, video editing, audio editing was everything was Mac. They have been losing their foothold, as you say, for the last ten twelve years now that they are not I mean the Adobe Premiere and all the Adobe Pro. They are putting more into their PC platforms than they are the Mac anymore, because more and more people obviously first off use PC and Apple just again really hasn't innovated. They don't update every time they release a new MacBook or a new iPhone or whatever it is the same hardware.
Speaker 1: Do you think we're Do you think we're gonna see Apple Intelligence built into MacBooks, you know, and and desktops from Well, you're going to see.
Speaker 4: It built at all of their all of their pieces and parts. Right, So you're gonna see generative AI come to final cut. You're gonna see Generative AI come to keynote.
Speaker 3: Well, came to Adobe already, Yeah, so I mean.
Speaker 4: They have to compete with that, right, they have to compete with that because it's it's already in premiere also, right, Yeah, I could just go in and say, hey, make this cut for me and it'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're we're not going to see Apple Intelligence, which is what they want everybody to call it. It's just AI artificial intelligence. We're not going to see that until like twenty twenty eight. I mean the way don't think, no, dude, the way Apple is, well, they're like six years behind everybody else.
Speaker 1: There was word that, you know, yesterday, the iPhone sixteens are available, and there was word that people who had the iPhone fifteen may be able to see and we don't know yet what the outcome because I have the fourteen. So I have no way of checking. May have been able to experience some of Apple Intelligence, even though it's not officially going to be available till the fall because they're still working on it, but apparently there was some devices that may be able to experience some of that. I'll tell you what I think would be great, and we talked about this last week Opus Clips and the other services that are out there that will take your audio, your video, your photos and use AI to create multimedia presentations, which I love when we see Adobe you utilizing that same technology and making it as a part of their platform. I think that might be even better for some of those companies, Sony, any of those companies that are helping you to create multimedia, or even Apple to be able to do that because now you go to the third party for it. They do a great job at it, and I love it, But that is going to change things.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 1: That's again all AI driven, and there's people out there that honestly, they don't care about the AI. They really don't.
Speaker 4: They just mean, you know, it's it's it's it's grown on me a little bit, right. I got invited to the Notre Dame CHATGBT test bed So I've been using it for things at work and it's beneficial.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I've been using it to generate and I'll share this with you. I've been recording audio of my D and D sessions and I have been using it to get a transcription made of the audio into a text file. I put it in a chat che Chat GBT and say, narrate this for me in a short story format.
Speaker 3: Wow, created the story. It's been awesome. That is pretty cool, right, it's.
Speaker 4: Been It's been pretty cool. So I'll share that with you. We can put it on the blog and stuff. And the other things I've been using it for is.
Speaker 3: Doing some coding.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: There are there are there are things.
Speaker 4: There are things that we can do work with our We have ross acuity switchers for video, our video production switchers, And there are things called custom controls that you can code to do functions.
Speaker 3: Like doesn't cut this camera.
Speaker 4: It has its own it has its own language called so I just like, I wonder if it's ROSST. So I just typed in the I just typed in, uh, I want you to cut this video on Emmy four with a background, on Emmy three with a dissolve fifteen frame, dissolve and replay transition to this custom control it spin it out in two seconds.
Speaker 1: Somebody told me that they can take say, video footage that's fifteen seconds long and unfortunately they need twenty seconds because they need to fill five seconds. They can take it and use AI to recreate that sequence and make it twenty seconds.
Speaker 3: But add like extra frames in or just yeah bits yeah.
Speaker 1: Or just the character itself by adding on to it. I mean, they could do so down a little bit pretty that you wouldn't even notice with the with your you know eyes, some pretty amazing stuff that they are able to do with this now. I mean, we're gonna see. I think it's moving so fast because think about where we were three years ago. You didn't hear too much about it, and then all of a sudden it was here, and everybody has their own version of it that they're you know, they're wanting to tout, Well, it's.
Speaker 3: The next arms race, It's the next technological technological arms race. Who's gonna come out on top with AI?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna be just like it's gonna be like every other technical war that we've had. Sony versus Xbox, you know, Sony Xbox, you know, or HDDVD Blu Ray. Who's going to come out on top of the best one? And yeah, that's what the people, the popular opinion is going to be is the one that succeeds well.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing, Sean, be very careful about that analogy about you know, Beta Max versus VHS or HDDV versus Blu Ray, because we all know who was the deciding factor on which way.
Speaker 1: They were and which Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: What you really can't talk about that on the radio.
Speaker 1: What caused VHS to win over Beta maxp You can look it up.
Speaker 3: You might be you don't know, just look it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, speaking that, we got a question in from Grace in Saludita. So, I just got myself a new computer, and I'm giving my current tower to my granddaughter so she can use it for her schoolwork. She's thirteen. My new computer, which I got at Walmart, is an all in one from HP oh. I think I know the one she got. It's like it's just an all in one means basically everything is in the screen, so there's no tower or even like that. She said, I have a few programs on the other computer, a couple of Turbo tax years, my circuit Cricket program, Cricket Cricket word perfect, and Roxio easy Creator. Is there an easy way to move these to my new computer? The old one ran Windows ten. I guess your new one is running Windows eleven.
Speaker 3: I would say, just go to the websites for each of those programs and just download the installer. Really, I mean you don't really have physical installation media anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is a hard question, right, because there are several ways she can move things, and in my experience with Windows based computers moving from one PC to another, it's not easy. Yeah, you want to do fresh installs of everything, right, just has to do with regis Windows regis the way Windows operates on the back end. Right, It's just it's such a pain to try to copy a file over and make sure you get all the directory files and all this stuff. Right. I will say that Apple does make this very easy to do when you're switching. Oh god, saying the migration assistant is very easy. But there are options if you're looking at moving file, like if you're trying to move a large sum of files or you know, pictures, videos, et cetera. Like Microsoft does offer their one drive, you can you can get a subscription and get access to one drive.
Speaker 3: You can use the.
Speaker 4: Windows History function to toppy and back up things and move it over. But I mean to be honest, like a clean slate with fresh installations, with the most up to date versus of the software is probably your best.
Speaker 1: Best. Here's here's something I did. But a year and a half ago, I had a customer that they had me build a brand new tower. I mean we built a full full on you know, newest, fastest, thirty two gigs ram, you know, lots of storage. It was for a graphic shop. The previous computer was a Windows XP machine. However, the reason they had the Windows XP machine is because they had special printers for printing T shirts, for printing the graphics that ran under Windows XP. Yep to go to something else for the manufacturer, it would have cost a lot of money. There would have been all kinds of things that we had to gun. They've gone through, they already had the artwork, already had it. So I found a program called PC mover, and PC mover has a Windows XP two Windows ten path built into it that you can go ahead and apply for programs and it will do the whole program to run from Windows XP. Put it onto Windows tem machine and it will run.
Speaker 3: The US military you would like to have a word with you and about that, because they are still running on Windows.
Speaker 1: XPR, aren't they. Yes, well they had to look into PC mover. It was a pretty good program. They sell that everywhere. You get it at dead office, depot and whatnot. And it worked really really well. Now what I would recommend if you're going to do this, Grace, if you decide to invest in the program to do it. I mean again, it may not, it may be overkill for what you're doing. Like like Sean was saying, you've got what word perfect cricket cricket you could get from their their website turbottax. Maybe a little different, but I'll tell you it was pretty It was pretty amazing how good it worked. But if you want to do it, it's again, it's a maybe about seventy bucks, depending on which version you get. It's a program you use once. That's it. You pay fore, you use it once and you're done.
Speaker 3: All right. Before we get to the next question, was to check the scoreboard Apple three PC forty five. That's the current score right there?
Speaker 1: Where did you get that math from?
Speaker 3: Oh, I've been doing the math for like the last couple of years on every time we talk about it.
Speaker 1: Every time we bring it up. All right, Sean, you want you want to share the next one for us? You see it?
Speaker 4: Let me let me pull that up. All right, listener question high tech talkers. I finally did it. I cut the cord and got rid of the cock's cable I had. I've heard you talk about cutting the cord before. And we'll save about one hundred and twenty bucks a month. Now, I did keep the high speed internet, and I have a smart TV. What should I use? As far as the service to get free? This is a big part free TV shows. So this is for Laura and Tucson. So free that's the big part here, right, So racks for free?
Speaker 3: I think people freaking nothing and life is free.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I disagree, Okay, I disagree. I think there's a lot for free that people have no idea that it's for free. Oh wait free.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of apps. There are a lot of apps. How they're free, but they're gonna just scrape your data and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I think the more popular ones that are out there are things like two B Bubo Fubo and Pluto Pluto Pluto I love. There are so many apps. There is so much content out in the world that you can get for free.
Speaker 3: And let's just not forget if you do have a well, if it's Smart TV's probably it's got its own OS. But if you got a Google TV, like a Google like a Chrome Cast TV or the new the new four K streamer coming out soon. Google itself has over one hundred and fifty channels for free built into their OS, no extra apps required.
Speaker 1: But are they entertaining? Like I know on Pluto, I could like if I feel I once in a while getting too fred Mertz mood, and I want to watch I want to watch all the fred Mertz. You know, Fred Mertz, fred Mertz.
Speaker 3: I don't know who that is. You don't know who Fred and Ethel Mertz were. They were powers born in eighty one. They were the power couple of the fifties. You know again, I was born in eighty one, he was.
Speaker 1: In his seventies. She was like maybe thirty five. Ethel Mertz and they were married and he owned an apartment building in Manhattan. The show you know what he'd be worth now he'd be And then they have their neighbors. He was an entertainer, and he's saying, Bob aloom, I Love Lucy. How did you not know the friends? Oh? Okay, well, okay.
Speaker 3: Fine, okay, now I get that, all right, all right, I get that.
Speaker 1: But if I want to watch I want to watch I Love Lucy. They have I Love Lucy channel. They have a dateline channel.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Google's got stuff like that. I'd say it was like Sea, almost like Pluto.
Speaker 1: You know, they don't have like sewing with Bob, you know, or something like that. I think actually, I actually I think Google actually has a Bob Ross twenty four to seven channel. Okay, that would be good that the painter, yeah old with the afro. Yeah, oh, I used to love Bob Ross. You know, there's so many choices out there. What about Plex? Is Plex any good? Anymore? Plex TeV?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't use Plex for their TV stuff. Their TV stuff is kind of weak sauce, right, yeah, And it's it's kind of annoying to have it enabled when you're trying to just use it for your own content.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never used it.
Speaker 4: They should have, you know, with with with with the unlimited with the lifetime Plex pass, so you do get part of their DVR. You can't DVR stuff with your own odd your own hard drives and stuff.
Speaker 2: So mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Now let's keep that in mind for just a moment here. You know, she was talking about free programs, right. One way to get a free program is just simply to get an antenna, like get get yourself in over the air antenna. Every single TV, regardless if it's smarter or not, still has that little cable input that can be used for an antenna. Just plug your antenna in, go to your TV's TV function and scan, and you will get all of your local channels for free, just the same way you would get it on cable. And it's gonna cost you absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been into the antenna aisle of s Walmart? You ever been in it? It could be confusing, which which antennant do you need? You know what I'd recommend go in with the app, like have the app, get the app. You get the app from RCA, get the app from Even when you're there, you could scan the box for that free app that'll tell you what channels you may be able to get in your area. Go home and actually look, it'll tell you which antenna to get based on the channels.
Speaker 3: Because what is that website? I think it's called dish pointer or antenna isn't it. I think it's Antenna Finder or something like that. But yeah, there are there are definitely websites out there. You just simply type in your area code and it will tell you where the towers in your area are located, and it will tell you exactly what direction to point your antenna. Now, if your house happens to be facing the opposite direction that the television antennas are, yeah you may have a little bit of a problem picking up channels. But if you, you know, happen to have a line of sight to that, having just a simple window, flat, paper, thin window antenna will work just fine. If not, you might have to step up to like a you know, a powered antenna, or if you're like way out in the boonies, yeah you might have to get one of those super tall, you know, roof mounted you know, yaggi antennas, which nobody's gonna want to do that. But that's an option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so Laura, right away we would say fu boo fubu right or fubo bo bo fu bo Pluto TV. What's the other one?
Speaker 3: You guys said, Oh, Pluto.
Speaker 1: I already said Pluto Pluto to b two boob to boo boo, all right, Bubo.
Speaker 3: Boo Boo is a shoe company.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Another there's an app called bat Too.
Speaker 1: There probably is another break. We'll be back with more of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin. Let me find us on Facebook at facebook dot com, forward slash tech Tuckers.
Speaker 2: We right back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: Now. In the first segment, we were talking about getting a new device and then the possible trade ins and things like that. I saw this interesting story about this. So there's a guy that got a new phone, I think it was he was getting the new Pixel nine, and he wanted to get the new Pixel Watch three. He already had an older pixel and the pixel Watch one. And when he was going to go buy these the phone and the watch, the trade in value of his old phone and his old watch were like six hundred and like two fifty respectively.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But but then he didn't pull the trigger on it. He didn't get the stuff for like about a week and a half or two weeks after they had launched. When he went back to go do it now, he was noticing that the phone was worth like one hundred and fifty and the watch was worth like thirty bucks. Wait, wide rate in value?
Speaker 1: Why go down so much? Because this is.
Speaker 3: What they do is it's when a new product launches. They want to get as many people to buy that new product as possible, so they pay more for trade in value, and that money comes out of the marketing budget of that manufacturer. So take for instance, Google, all of that inflated trade in value for your device comes out of the marketing budget for Google for that year. And then once they've gotten through all the pre orders and the hype has died down over the next you know, a week or two, then they actually offer you what your device is actually worth, which in a case of a phone, about one hundred and fifty bucks, when the case of a smart watch about thirty to fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, would you would you now you've you turned you went ahead and did that right?
Speaker 3: Because I did?
Speaker 1: I have like every I found my old iPod Touch the other day. I mean, I've got every iPhone that I've ever had. Still I haven't android.
Speaker 3: That devices now I trade them in. I trade them in if I go with it. I mean, when I buy a device, I buy it at launch and I get that and flid values. So I just recently traded in my pixel eight pro for the new pixel ninefold. I think I got four hundred and fifty for the Pixelate Pixelate Pro. And I also traded my pixel Watch one, which I think I got one hundred and seventy five dollars for, but now it's worth like thirty bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Sean, what about you, cause you're like me, don't you keep all of your devices?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I sure do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I I that she.
Speaker 4: Has all her own phones too.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I mean I'm not joking.
Speaker 4: I still have my Nope, I still have I don't even remember what the model number is, the og Nokia Brick.
Speaker 3: The sixty one ten.
Speaker 1: Oh my lord.
Speaker 4: So I my brother, My brother and I in high school, so this would have been two thousand and two, two thousand, so two thousand and two we had to share a phone. We shared a cell phone in high school. I bet that was hard, the Nokia brick, right, you're real, tad. Yeah, then then I mean I still have that. I still have my Motoro Eraser. I still have my Alltel foot phone. I still got my my LG Sidekick. I've still got my LG Triton. I still got you know, i still have my original three G Apple iPhone. And then I've still got my four, my four S, my five, my seven plus.
Speaker 1: Wow, I still have them all. Now what should what should somebody think about though? When they have their old device and they say, Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna just turn it in. You're like, like earlier we heard from from Grace who he's given a computer to her granddaughter. You know what, what things should you think about? I mean, you've got data that has come through that did that'll take care of it all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? On a phone?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on a phone, a factory reset.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If Grace is going to give her granddaughter her computers, give her put a new hard drive in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty hard drives. Take a hard drive out that that's where we're talking about a computer. Yeah, you don't want to leave a hard drive in a computer or anything like that. But with a phone or a smart watch, yeah, just do a factory reset.
Speaker 1: And that is not going to be recoverable. It's like a d D wipe.
Speaker 4: Well, hold on, hold on, because Apple did have some issues not that long ago with resets that scored right with the Apple had an issue about probably six months ago where deleted items were being probably the databases weren't properly being I don't know whatever written so that after after a period of time, things would show back up.
Speaker 3: No, So hmmm, well, well I'm sure I could probably go for both ways anyway. I mean, ANDREI could probably be the same thing. But yeah, yeah, I mean I could see that. Yes, whatever's in the cloud, I mean, it's always going to be there, regardless if you deleted or not. It's gonna be in the clouds somewhere.
Speaker 1: I did a uh what did a test years ago where I bought a flash drive and I don't know if they've they've changed it or whatnot. I just happened to be lucky with this one. But I buy this flash drive at this used bookstore, and I went ahead and I ran it through the recovery software that I have that is probably some of the best. Uh. And it found a bevy of photos, documents, the whole bit that were originally deleted that showed up as lost files. But you basically had all of that. So you got to think about that. If you're, you know, even getting rid of a flash drive, you want to ever do that? Just destroy it? Yeah, just destroy it.
Speaker 4: Hit it with a hammer, break it apart, crack it in half, whatever, put it a fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you gotta beavis.
Speaker 4: People don't, I mean for the layman's right, they don't know that data is that recoverable?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: You think I deleted it's gone.
Speaker 1: Right, Nope, just because you hit the lead.
Speaker 4: Those zeros and ones are just there until they get written by other zeros.
Speaker 1: And ones, right, and they get retto over. If they haven't been written over, and even even if they've been getting over, you may find a partial partial file there. So again, yeah, you you gotta be really careful about that. Here's something that Justin has to be careful with. And I was looking forward to this. W c c F Tech did a story about the Google Pixel nine pro fold, which he's very proud of. And you spent what almost well, you you got good deals because again, you did it at the right time. But people are finding that they're spinning up to upwards of two grand for this this new, brand new, you know, pixel fold phone. If you bend it in the wrong direction, apparently it will snap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, okay, duh, I mean, I mean, come on, what kind of story is this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Did you know that if you if you drive a car and you hit a brick wall, it'll actually destroy the car.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my gosh, I.
Speaker 4: Did not know that if you fold a real book the wrong way, it'll break the spine.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, people, it was just written by a bunch of Apple fanboys or something like. Oh, if you bend the phone the wrong way, well no, duh.
Speaker 1: So there go. Justin make sure you don't bend your phone the wrong way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I have an IQ a little bit higher than that.
Speaker 1: Geeesh, all right. One of the great gifts for the holidays has always been the tile. Yeah, and did you any of you ever have a tile?
Speaker 3: I had one. I actually I just tossed my tile.
Speaker 1: You tossed your tile.
Speaker 3: Because I told me the battery has been dead for years and I've never once used it.
Speaker 1: The original ones were terrible because you couldn't replace the battery once it's dead. It was like, yeah, it's dead. Well, ah, a title is a tracking device again, first disposable. When the battery died, you toss it. Then they added replaceable batteries to them, which was kind of cool. Uh, And now they have added more or as a competitor to air tags from Apple, the Bluetooth tracker has different colors, longer range, and an SOS button with a premium account, so you know, if you have a free account, I get to do that. But if you buy a premium account, you'll have an SOS button on it. So if you're in trouble, apparently you'll be able to push this and it will then the trackers. But it's cheap.
Speaker 3: Justin your phone button my phone. Everybody has a phone, so yeah, SOS in my phone. Just tap it five times, it calls the police.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well, this company was bought by Life three sixty back in twenty twenty one for a lot of money. Then all of a sudden, the air tags came became very popular. So they haven't put anything out for a while, so they're putting them out Now I love giving tiles for the holidays. I always did. I always put a tile in my kids socking. You know that whole bit and worked out pretty good.
Speaker 3: So to talk about life three sixty real quick.
Speaker 4: So my family subscribes to that. Oh cool, So like my parents, and it's it's great. It's a great way to keep track of family members like that. It's a great resource to have. You can set up zones so what I know my parents are coming, which is kind of a nice thing when you know your parents are going to be fifteen minutes away. Things like that. You can set up all these zones, gates and stuff. It's nice to know people are showing up at your house when you're not expecting them. Yes, but it's a great it's a great resource to have. So if you're interested in that type of thing for protecting people in your family or snooping on people.
Speaker 1: By three six, there you go. All right, another quick break, Come back with more of Tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin Let me the score is now three to seven hundred and forty six.
Speaker 1: When you're coming up with this scoreboard, we want to remind you that you could reach out to us at on the web at tech talk radio dot com, our email address tech Guys, T E hg U y S at tech talk Radio. I would love you to subscribe to our YouTube page at tech talk Radio. You'll find the link on our website if you'd like to go more direct their way. But we're going to be adding more content, shorts, all kinds of great stuff to our YouTube page again, tech talk Radio on YouTube. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: So to wrap up this week's show, we like to talk occasionally about just what we're what we've been playing online, what games have been playing. So the two big ones that I've been playing are been getting caught up in Diablo four. Oh, because on October eighth, the new expansion for Diablo four drops called The Vessel of Hatred. It adds a new character. It's gonna be really fun. The other thing is last week the new World of Warcraft expansion dropped called The War Within. So there's a New World of Warcraft expansion. You guys know that I've been playing that since two thousand and four, so of course I'm playing that. So that's I I've been playing recently.
Speaker 3: But I find it so interesting that World of Warcraft is still around after all this time, and.
Speaker 4: It's still the It's still the largest, if not one of the largest MMOs that exists.
Speaker 1: Do you get do you think new gamers are jumping into this one sean like maybe that never played the franchise before that are just starting to play games.
Speaker 4: So I think at this point it's being carried by the generational gap. Right. You have people that played it in their early twenties when it first came out in two thousand and four. Their kids are now into their early twenties because the game is twenty years old. Wow, right, so you have you have their kids that are playing it, right. So I think it's it's a word of mouth game, right, It's it's you've played it with your friends in high school, you played it with your friends of college, you played it with your coworkers, right, It's just it's the community surrounding this game is what drives it. So I think it new people, yeah, but it's it could be a little intimidating for newer players just because of the depth of you know, there's so many classes and so many different things you can do in the game.
Speaker 1: So I'd feel like a digglehead because I don't know the terms, the characters, that a whole bit, but it would be fun to start trying. How about you justin what what are you playing? I?
Speaker 3: I am giving Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven another spin still. Well know, when it came out, it sucked really bad, and I returned the game and I got the refund. But now after a few years, everybody's saying it is actually finally it's just like No Man's Sky we talked about in the past. They finally got a chance to finish the game and put that extra code of polish on it, and it is a really good game. I'm playing that, And I'm also playing war Thunder, which is a free to play mm war simulation where you can be tanks, you can be warships like naval, or you can be air air battles.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, Well I have to I know we've got some keys that are going to be coming our way, so you guys could try out a couple of games, So maybe we'll be able to report on those next week on the show. In the meantime, hit up our website hit Up our blog, you know, we'll post other stuff on there. You can check out the TV segment where I showed off the Pixel nine. We'll see if I still have it next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm Sean de Weird and I'm justin Lemme tech tok radio dot com and check out the blog blog doc tech talk radio dot com. We'll see you next week.