Speaker 1: Thursdays, it's time for tech Talk.
Speaker 2: The machines are getting smarter.
Speaker 3: This is tech Talk, brought to you by Sky Nett.
Speaker 1: And Mark Saltzman.
Speaker 2: It joins us on Thursday as we talk about the world of technology. First of all, Mark, I want to congratulate you on your four hundredth episode of the Tech It Out radio show and podcast.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I started in July twenty seventeen, so yeah, fifty a year checks. So yeah, we're going to give away a laptop courtesy of a SEUs to a lucky listener this week. So yeah, the new podcast episode will drop tomorrow on iHeart and yeah, it's simply called tech it Out. If you want to know how to be eligible to win, it's all at the front of the show. But essentially, if you're on social media, just use the hashtag tack it out and tag me and we're going to be having a random draw on the third of July. And yeah, it's going to be sent by a SUS to you directly. You just have to be in the continental US eighteen or older. So yeah, thanks for that, Cary, appreciate it. You've been so nice to you and Shannon plug it every week and certainly that helps. The radio show version is also on your sister station on the Patriot.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had your car stolen?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 4: There have been an attempt on my wife's truck, and yeah, we had a really loud alarm, which is a good deterrent, and the lights flashed and they took off and we watched it on the ring camera after the fact.
Speaker 3: But no, A lot of my friends have had their vehicles lifted over the last couple of years. It's become a bit of an epidemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, many years ago, but I had two different cars stolen within about three or four years of each other.
Speaker 4: It's the worst, so violated, right, whether your car is broken into or outright stolen, it's still you feel just so violated and it's aggravating. And then even if your car hasn't been stolen, you're paying through your insurance for all the other car thefts in your neighborhood. Believe you meet, your rates are going up, your premium are going up, even if you take these safeguards, which I'm happy to share because I wrote this piece on how to use tech and some other non techy, sort of common sense ways to reduce the odds of your car being stolen. But you're still a victim even when you're not. That's the really frustrating part here. Yeah, I noticed some of them are very low tech, which is one of them. Iss park in your garage, right, if you're fortunate to have a garage parking it. Yeah, and try not to have any windows on your garage or at least have them tinted or you know where you can't see what's inside, so out of sight, out of mine is the easy sort of solution. And if you do have to park on your driveway, then at least have the you know, bright lights and security cameras that can both act as a detern and prove as video evidence should you need it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a lot of people have those floodlights that.
Speaker 4: When you pull onto your driveway they detect motion and they automatically turn on.
Speaker 3: So that's good. Thieves do not like that, so that's a good idea.
Speaker 4: Or if you park it in your garage and you're lucky enough to have a second, less expensive car, a low tech tip is to just park that cheaper car behind your priceier one. Some other suggestions by an inexpensive Faraday pouch or box which prevents the electronic signal from being hacked wirelessly. You know, just put it as low as ten bucks on Amazon and keep your fob away from the front door if you can put it more in the center of your home in that Faraday pouch. Consider an anti theft steering wheel lock or the actual wheel locks for those who want it. There's also that OBD port onboard diagnostic support which is usually below into the left of your steering wheel. Some people lock that as well, so that can't be tampered with easily. I mean, anything is possible when there's a will, there's a way. You want to add as much time as possible because the thieves do not have that time, or at least install an aftermarket car a mobilizer, so if you don't use a key or a pin code to officially start your car, it will stop running or not start at all.
Speaker 3: So there's lots of different things.
Speaker 4: If your car is stolen and you have a GPS tracker in there, like a lowjack or even an air tag which is just twenty bucks.
Speaker 3: Not a bad idea, but never try to retrieve your car on your own. Don't don't anymore?
Speaker 4: Yes, right, bring it to the authorities, hopefully they'll help you. Yeah, I've heard mixed stories about that. But never try to go into a sketchy neighborhood and look for your car on your own with a baseball bat.
Speaker 1: Not a good idea. It's not going to end well.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's it. I guess.
Speaker 4: One more is that if you have a dash cam, which a lot of people like a dashboard camera, the newer ones have what's called a parking mode, and so when you hop into the mall or you're having dinner at a restaurant and you valley your vehicle, the camera lies sort of idle until it senses motion or sound directly around the car and then starts recording. And that way you can even get a pushed notification to your phone and even.
Speaker 3: Have two way talk.
Speaker 4: You could say the guys, the cops are coming, get out, and that may help as well. But a parking mode is a nice feature to look forward at dash cam. So if you want to learn about these ten.
Speaker 2: Tips, I point out how Canadian it is for you to warn the guys, just so you know, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then we say sorry, sorry, sorry about you.
Speaker 4: Please go about your business, all right, I deserve that Gary, fair enough, fair enough in my Canadian accent.
Speaker 3: Sorry guys, that's gree but no, all.
Speaker 4: Kidding aside, If you want to try to reduce the odds of your car being stolen or being busted into to steal the contents like that you've got and that's another tip, don't leave valuables along around to tempt would be thieves. Just google my name, Mark Saltzman, Mark with a C and car thefts and you'll you'll see the article that I wrote. That's very a little bit more detail than what we just shared. Yeah, very very nice.
Speaker 2: And again you said people can just use the hashtag tech it out for the option and the opportunity to to win that Asis X fifteen Chromebook laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, a week from today, the third of July.
Speaker 4: It'll be randomly chosen, but they have to meet the requirements of being in the continental US and eighteen or older. And yeah, it'll be I'm going to use that random can't remember the website. I'll look it up where it's a full random drop, So good luck. Yeah, appreciate the plug, Gary
Speaker 2: Of course, Mark, thank you again you too, hope follow Mark on X of course m arc underscore Saltzman with a Z and you'll find out more information about the potential opportunity for you to win that Chromebook