Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Am I Am six forty live everywhere, on the iHeartRadio app, Tiffany Hobbs here with you at Saturdays with Tiffany from five to seven pm every Saturday, and then of course in perpetuity on that iHeartRadio app and that podcast you can catch at the end.
Speaker 3: Of every show.
Speaker 2: Happy Coachella weekend, So the freeways are moderately clear, the streets are moderately clear for the next couple of weeks, so we are celebrating.
Speaker 3: Are you here? Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you listening? Are you in line for the porta potty at Coachella? And if you are, if you're one of those people who seems to be complaining about the crowds, the crowds that are there every year, you knewbies, I'm glad to keep you company.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of music, we have a new bumper to add to the rotation, courtesy of Bugsy Capri Raoul.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and play a little bit of.
Speaker 4: That is Time on one the Week's then time to ease my mind.
Speaker 5: Sign on my radio just in time, Sifferny Howes, gotta.
Speaker 6: Feeling fun, Jay Si.
Speaker 4: Whoa medacy.
Speaker 3: Feels like she's sun.
Speaker 2: Sign all right, thank you, Raoul, So we'll definitely fit that in at some point. Again, that's courtesy of Bugsy Capri. And you have made it when your name is in uh in music, when your name has been solidified in that way.
Speaker 3: So how cool is that? Thank you to Bugsy Capri.
Speaker 2: It's a music field field weekend here in southern California. Music is all around us, and today to add to that musical theme, we have comedian and inner tainer et cetera, et cetera. Doug starts at five point thirty to talk about his upcoming show next Saturday, April nineteenth. This a one week from today at the world famous Coach House Concert Hall in San Juan Capistrano out there in South Orange County. They are kicking off their forty fifth anniversary concert series, and we'll be talking to Doug about his involvement with the show, his review the Stevie Wonder tribute band that he has. We might even get some music out of him, some live music, a preview, and we have tickets to give away, so we'll be giving you that number shortly to call in so that you can get tickets. To the world famous Coach House Concert Hall and their forty fifth anniversary concert Series celebration next Saturday, April nineteenth. Doors open at six, show starts at eight, but we'll get into the details later with Doug at five thirty.
Speaker 3: At six thirty, like I.
Speaker 2: Spoke with Neil about one of my favorite places in all of Los Angeles is a barnyard.
Speaker 3: I'm an animal person. I love my animals.
Speaker 2: In fact, really quick when I came into the studio, there was, unfortunately a dead hummingbird outside of the studio.
Speaker 3: It looks like it had flown into the window.
Speaker 2: So I scooped it up and went over to our little garden and gave it a proper service and burial and put some lavender over it. And you know, I hope that's not necessarily an omen but definitely wanted to show a little respect to that poor little creature there. The barnyard zoo i'm talking about is located in Manabello. It's called the Manabello Barnyard Zoo, and Melanie Wallovic will be on to talk about some of their upcoming events as we get into the warmer weather. As we approached summer, so she'll have a lot to say, so stay tuned for that.
Speaker 3: At six o'clock. For our Deeper Dives.
Speaker 2: Segment, we'll be talking about movie posters and billboards, which are all a huge part of Los Angeles and LA culture. We're gonna look at some history behind some of the most iconic movie posters and billboards, and we're also going to take a look a deeper dive, if you will, at the one man responsible for some of the most popular movie posters you have ever seen. That's at six o'clock. But first let's take a look locally at what's going on. Starting with some good news for Palissades High School students.
Speaker 6: Big step forward for students at Palisades Charter High School. In a matter of weeks, they're going to be together again for into person learning. The old Seal Store in Santa Monica being transformed into a temporary campus. Eyewitnesses to put a lean Suter gives us an exclusive look inside.
Speaker 7: This once was a Sears and Roebuck store here in Santa Monica, but it is now getting a new life, being transformed into Policy Charter High School's new campus.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the first day.
Speaker 7: Of school practicing for the big reveal just weeks away. Pam McGee, principle of Palisades Charter High takes students in staff on a preview tour of their new temporary campus inside the historic Sears and Roebuck store in Santa Monica. I think I'm really excited, and it's definitely unique and amazing to be able to have school right across the street.
Speaker 4: From the promenade.
Speaker 7: I don't think a lot of other people can relate to that, so that's, you know, a fun new experience.
Speaker 8: I'm really excited.
Speaker 7: The devastating Palisades fire causing extensive damage to the iconic high school, students forced to return to remote learning, but that's about to end. Crews have been working fifteen and a half hours a day to transform the old store into a modern day school for twenty five hundred students in just six weeks.
Speaker 3: How cool is that?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine going to school at a mall? And I know malls across the country are converting to housing because there are abandoned everywhere and they're trying to figure out what to do with these properties. And this mall in Santa Monica, right there at the end of the third Street promenade, walking distance from the promenade has set to sat barren and empty for years, years, years, to the point where that broadcaster there was calling it Sears and Roebuck. No one ever calls it the Sears and Roebuck Building, but that's how long it's been there. It's the Seers Building. And now Palisades High School students will call it home. They'll start on April twenty second, after their spring break concludes, and again they'll be right across from that Third Street promenade. I'm hoping that this will also help revitalize the.
Speaker 3: Third Street promenade.
Speaker 2: Which has been really struggling with foot traffic and to get people in there to be consumers, and a lot of stores have been closing. Hopefully this will be a boost to that local economy. On the flip side, something not so great for students around LAUI happens to deal with what is now the first time in Los Angeles since the administration of President Donald Trump announced a crackdown on immigration enforcement, federal agents tried to enter two LAUSD schools just this previous week. The two schools are Lillian Street Elementary School and Russell Elementary School. This previous Monday, They're both in the La Florence Graham neighborhood and school administrators turned these agents away. The agents were from the Department of Homeland Security, and again the school administrators said not coming in here. They were following LAUSD protocols that went into effect under Superintendent Roberto Cavallo, who said that they would not be allowing as a district a uniform approach to dealing with the Department of Homelands to purity and agents from Immigration and Customs. They would not be allowing those agents onto school grounds. So two completely different stories affecting our students across the Southland. On one hand, Palisades High School students get to come out of remote learning no more zoom. They finally get to be back in person with their classmates and finish out their school year after such a tumultuous time since the January seventh fires out there in the Palisades. And then on the other end of the spectrum, you have students with LAUSD who are dealing with whether or not they may be approached by the Department of Homeland Security. Either way, I say schools should be a place of peace and a place of refuge for our students, no matter what your political leanings are. When we come back, we are going to talk about all should be aware of if you're hiking, if you're out there recreation and enjoy your recreational prospects. You're hiking your long walks, and you're in the Santa Monica area, the Los Angeles National Forest, you want to get out there. You don't just have to worry about bears. You also need to worry about a new plant that is causing you a terrible rashod.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Tiffany Hobbs here with you. It's Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's with Tiffany until seven pm. And I was telling you in the previous segment that the weather is warming up. We all know, we all enjoy getting outside. That's why a lot of people move to La.
Speaker 3: Live in LA.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of opportunity to be outdoors and enjoy our natural habitat. And when the weather warms up, a lot of people want to go hiking, they want to take walks, they want to be amongst that nature.
Speaker 3: I know I'm one of those people.
Speaker 2: I really enjoy it, and I don't give much thought when on these particularly landscaped hiking trails or walking paths to any kind of shrubbery that might be poisonous or might be dangerous. I kind of assume, and that's probably my own problem, that where I'm walking is moderately safe to significantly safe or else.
Speaker 3: Why would they have this path?
Speaker 2: Well, there's an issue now, and that issue has been kicked up because it had laid dormant for a while, but it's been kicked up by the eaten fire. If it's not one thing, it's another. And this totally adds insult to injury.
Speaker 3: What am I talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about a plant that can cause you a terrible rash, a terrible rash. Back in twenty twenty, there was a Pasadena resident who was trekking through the deep snow over on the summit of Mount Wilson.
Speaker 3: He had on shorts these.
Speaker 2: Adventurers doesn't really fill cold, and so he was out there. He's enjoying himself as he's going through the pathway and he's stepping into these snow blankets, right, you know the kind where you step in and your leg sinks.
Speaker 3: Down your feet, sink down.
Speaker 2: Well he did that in these shorts, and he was unaware of what was actually beneath the snow. Not until a couple of days later did he find out that he had been exposed to this very same plant. The plant, he says, produced redness, itching, oozing, crusting, I hope you're not eating, and small fluid filled blisters up and down his bare legs. He says, my legs were on fire with itch. It lasted four weeks, not f oh, you are more than that, for numerous weeks.
Speaker 3: The name of this is the poodle dog bush. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It kind of looks like those bell bell flowers you'll see that kind of have like that bell shaped to them, like you can you can look inside of them. They're gorgeous. They often grow on trees. Well, these particular plants sprout from the ground, and they are beautiful.
Speaker 3: They lure you in. Not just with their.
Speaker 2: Beauty, no, because this is California, that wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 3: They lure you in with their beauty.
Speaker 2: And a smell that mimics weed. It's a beautiful flower and it smells like weed, Yes, like marijuana. Again, insult to injury you're out there and you're going, hmm, this smells good. Let me get closer to it. This thing will attack you. It's in the Angelus National Forest, and because of the fourteen thousand acre Eaten Fire that ravaged large portions of the Angelus National Forest in January, this particular shrub has been reignited. If you will, it packs a bite. The rash is absolutely terrible. So if you are out there and you are walking, you are hiking in the Angelus National Forest or thereabout, perhaps even in the lower lands at the base and maybe some of these neighborhoods that were affected by the Eaten fire, you should be on the lookout. Google this thing so that you can know and not take home this unfortunate consequence of just trying to get out and enjoy a beautiful day.
Speaker 3: It's called the poodle dog bush. Google it.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, crusty, puss filled itchy blisters. I don't know how to transition from that to this next sentence. I'm gonna say so, I'm just gonna do it because this next segment is the opposite of.
Speaker 3: Crusty and puss. I would say, he's laughing, So that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: This person is an amazing guest, and let me tell you just a quick little tidbit about Doug Starks. Want to start off by asking what is an entertainer today?
Speaker 3: Entertaining is confined mainly to a screen. Social media is where a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people consume their entertainment, and there are lots of talented people, but few can jump off of the screen to capture and keep your attention on stage. And that short list gets even smaller when you filter it by the artists who can transcend genre and style. Our guest today, Doug Starks, who's here with us now, certainly can do all of those things, from comedy to singing to dance, from acting to impersonations to writing. Doug Starks has done it all and continues to do even more and will find out just what Doug Starks is up to, especially in relation to the world famous coach House concert venue on the other side of the break.
Speaker 3: So stay right here.
Speaker 2: We have Doug Starts, Doug Starks coming up and tickets to give away to the coach House's forty fifth anniversary concert series Woo Woo right here on KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. I'm sure you want to continue listening to the sweet sounds of Doug Starks, and we will have every opportunity to do that after about five forty five, So you make sure you stay tuned throughout this entire conversation.
Speaker 3: As I said to you before, we have.
Speaker 2: A consummate entertainer, we have a multi hyphen it and we have someone who has graciously given his time in an already extremely packed schedule to come here today to talk about the journey to becoming Doug Starks as well as where Doug Starks is going from here, including a stop at the world famous coach House Concert Hall, concert Venue. Extraordinary forty fifth anniversary of the coach House, and Doug is going to be headlining the kickoff celebration for this forty fifth anniversary. Let me tell you a little bit more about the coach House.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: The coach House opened in nineteen eighty by the still active soul proprietor Gary Fogner. The coach House has featured national and international touring acts becoming a launching platform for aspiring artists and a home for those that are well established in the industry. Noteworthy performances include and get ready for this list, BB King, Bonnie Raid, The Black Crows, Miles Davis, BB King, Ray Charles, Pat Bennett, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Shenead O'Connor, Dana Carvey, and today's guest himself, mister Doug Starks. And Doug may have worked with such industry giants as Julio Iglesias, Whitney Houston, Natalie Cole, Ray Charles, and Smokey Robinson, but they've also worked with Doug, who is a legend in his own right, and legend meets legend again as Doug joins the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano for that Coach House Concert Hall Celebratory concert Series kickoff. It's a multi month celebration to commemorate forty five years of greatness and entertainment in South Orange County, and we are so delighted to have the charitable, the generous, the creative, the talented reverend brother pasta Deacon Doug Starks here today at KF five.
Speaker 3: Welcome sir.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a build up I just wish I talked better.
Speaker 3: That's you.
Speaker 2: You've done all of these things and if I kept going, we would run out of time.
Speaker 3: Simply in the introduction, thank you for being here.
Speaker 5: It is so you know, I'm sitting in the presence of Radio Royalty, so I want to thank you for having me here.
Speaker 3: It's so kind.
Speaker 5: Congratulate you on your status and your show because you know you're the queen this you're doing this. Thank you, you're doing this thing.
Speaker 2: Legend to prospective, legend over here to establish on it.
Speaker 3: Feel it own it, legend, legend, a legend.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: You know, Doug, you've performed with the best of them, You've traveled around the world, You've graced stages all over. What inspired you to start your career and what inspires you now to keep on going?
Speaker 5: So what inspired me is I was always a little different. I had a little different beat than most of the kids did. And when I saw people like Sammy Davis Junior, George Kirby, Stevie Wonder Yes and not just be talented, but move and inspire people what they did, I knew this is what I wanted to do and so and what inspires me now Stevie Wonder's always music is always doing a backdrop to my life no matter what. I can anchor a lot of events in my life to a Stevie Wonders song. And it's not just the lyrical content. It's kind of like the spirit that's emitted from those songs, from his intention and his calling, and.
Speaker 3: So it's purposeful.
Speaker 2: His music, like you said, is very intentional and entertainment should be.
Speaker 3: It's a platform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a platform, and use you use yours very well. Some might call you, Doug a throwback to the golden age of the nineteen fifties and sixties. You do your I won't call it a review, I'll call it a celebration of these musicians. You also have your bucket list car that you love, that classic Lincoln Continental with its beautiful craftsmanship. Side okay, the showmanship of the same era with the fifties and the sixties with the rat Pack as well, which you are a fan of. And Sammy Davis Junior, what about that period of the fifties and sixties really imprinted upon you.
Speaker 5: So what I liked most about that period and especially the rat Pack, is that they kind of modeled an ideal that the country was moving towards and wanting that. They didn't even know how to put an intelligence to its time. They had all different ethnicities, ethnic class, background, religions, and they didn't consider politically correct or incorrect. They joked about those things with each other, and it was how they endeared themselves to each other by noticing, accepting, and loving our differences and blending together. And they produced some great harmonies and music and fun, and people still enjoy watching them.
Speaker 2: Speaking of blending, one of the things that we all do now, I think is blend our real life with our social media persona. You have a social media persona Doug Star.
Speaker 4: So you've seen MySpace past, I've.
Speaker 2: Seen your I'm in your top your top tens or top nine, top eight.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what it is like. I wasn't. I'm on your Instagram.
Speaker 2: I have perused your social media and I really enjoy how you share yourself with your audience. I learned through looking at your social media that you enjoy riding your bike. You even gave your bike a name. What's the name Steve propos? Of course, let me ask you this question. I wonder if you've ever been asked this before. What do bike riding and performing have in common?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 5: The what I like to do is experience a greater capacity than I think I have.
Speaker 4: I like going further than I think I can.
Speaker 5: I like reaching for things that that maybe.
Speaker 4: I've never done before, just to have new experiences.
Speaker 5: Sometimes when I reach too far, my musical director Brian Evans will say you're over singing.
Speaker 4: They back it up.
Speaker 1: Board.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the deal of it is when I'm on a bike, and I love riding horses too, But when I'm doing either of those things, I have an opportunity to set aside everything I think about me or anybody else and just have an experience and experience something new about me or just a new dimension or just like I said, an expanded capacity.
Speaker 2: After the break, Doug, let's get into the Coach House Concert Hall and your upcoming tribute called Higher Ground, which is celebrating.
Speaker 4: The music of who Stevie Wonder and.
Speaker 2: That will be Saturday, April nineteenth. We're giving away two sets of tickets, two pairs four tickets total. You're gonna be there, you got You're headlining it. You'll see Doug Starks and his amazing band, of which Brian Evans is a part and so hopefully in a moment, Brian, you'll be able to take us to our break. But if you are interested, and I know you are, then you need to get on the phone right now and call so you can win a pair of these tickets. We are going to go to callers number four and number five, callers four and five to celebrate the forty fifth anniversary. The phone number is one eight hundred five two oh one five three four. Again that's one eight hundred five to two oh one five three four, callers number four and callers number Caller number four, callers number five, two sets of tickets to Higher Ground. The coach House Concert halls upcoming tribute for their forty fifth anniversary concert series featuring today's very special guest, Doug Starks. And on the other side of the break, we'll get more into what's going on with the coach House with this entire show, your band and some more information yet to talk about. Mister Brian Evans, member of the band, can you play us please some of your music so that we can head to break. It's KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: App you're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Saturday is with Tiffany. I'm Tiffany Hobbs here with you. And that was Doug Starks, comedian and entertainer and member of his band Brian Evans, and they will both be performing next Saturday, April nineteenth, at the coach House Concert Hall in San Juan Capistrano.
Speaker 8: And yoah right, absolutely, oh man, what a beautiful venue and what amazing music that just came out of the both of you.
Speaker 2: That was just a preview of what's to come next Saturday. And in a little bit during this segment, because you guys are going to definitely get off and play in a moment, absolutely, we gave away two pairs of tickets. The phone lines blew up. Thank you to our callers. We look forward to seeing you at the coach House again. Doors open at eight pm. You can find tickets available at the coach House dot com, the coach House dot com. That's the coach House Concert Hall Celebratory concert Series. And we are speaking to headliner of the kickoff, mister Doug Starks. Doug, Yes, can you tell us what makes the Coach House such a special place for you? Because you've performed there numerous times I have.
Speaker 5: What makes it really special for me is the people that come there. All types of people come there, and there's the vibe. I mean, the Coach House is run, it's a family owned business, but that family vibe extends to the employees and the patrons that come there. There are people that come to the Coach House that come there, they come into the box office and go, Okay, I'm gonna go see four shows next month. Let's see what's playing. They don't even know, but they just want to be there in the vibe. So it's great foods, great entertainment. And there's no seat that's like bad. The furthest seat from the stage is like forty feet so that's closer than like a front row or second rowing.
Speaker 2: And like some of the larger venues, and very intimate, very intimate, oh very intimately can almost touch you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like did he almost pit in my drink? Type of intimate. And yeah, so.
Speaker 2: People ever get too close where you have to kind of pin them off and say back up.
Speaker 4: No, I haven't not yet, not yet. I mean I've been served once coming off this you got too close?
Speaker 3: I got too close?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you Doug starts, Yeah, you've been sarved. Let me ask you this, Doug. Your Your show is called higher Ground, named after a Stevie Wonders song, one of my favorites. What can guess expect from your show? You have a huge band, what can they expect?
Speaker 5: So of course you're gonna hear some of the hits. You can't do them all because there's just too many of them to do.
Speaker 4: Is just too much.
Speaker 5: Secondly, I use a multimedia narrative inside the show, with video and rare photographs and rare videos and celebrated interviews talking about Stevie, some of his beginning, some of the things he's overcome, some of the social contributions that he's done and that has he's been behind, and he's.
Speaker 4: Champion some of them.
Speaker 5: So you get a complete overview with Stevie wonder And yes, it's to acknowledge his accomplishments, but it's also to reach deep into people and maybe make you say, you know what, I want to do this one like that too. I may not be an artist in the same genre as Stevie, but I make cookies, I sow, I like reading the kids. We all can be a beneficial presence on this planet. We all have something to give and I'm hoping it inspires people to unlock and let what they have come forth.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful message, mister Doug Starks, and thank you for sharing it with all of our listeners. I'm sure someone got a lot from what you just said. I almost teared up, I did.
Speaker 5: It's a very man I mean, because it's your Everybody has an expression, and if you don't express that, everything energy turns back towards you and.
Speaker 4: Comes out in some ways that aren't so flattering.
Speaker 2: So in addition to the coach House next Saturday, April nineteen at eight pm, where can people keep up with what you're doing? How can they follow you? Support you? Shows you have coming up?
Speaker 5: They have a Facebook page called Doug Starks Higher Ground. We're having a new website that's coming out that would be called it's actually the website, it's going to be called I Am Duck Starks and Higher Ground and it's going to have a page on that and you can get to Noah the members of the band as well, who are all very capable musicians.
Speaker 4: Brian is our captain, and.
Speaker 5: Brian is the captain of our band, and he is an amazing guy.
Speaker 4: Can have you noticed his smile?
Speaker 3: Oh? I can see it from behind the screen.
Speaker 2: And he permeates the technology, large organization.
Speaker 5: For a band, and everybody in the band gets along with this. We eat together, we travel, everyone's attractive. It makes it easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes it easy.
Speaker 2: Okay, good and makes it makes it harder for you because you get served obviously, right. Yeah, we're gonna let you. We're going to ask you, not let you. We're going to ask you to give us a preview of the upcoming show higher Ground. You have mister Brian Evans here on the keyboard, you have a harmonica, you have a voice, and now you have the floor right on the later or later with Timney's goodness almost at the wrong tag Saturdays with Tiffany Hobbs from five to seven, we are with mister Brian Evans on keyboards and mister Doug Starks, Reverend brother pastor Deacon Doug Starks.
Speaker 4: And we hope we're gonna see you there too.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm there, I'm hosting. Yes, I are there. I cannot wait don't be shy to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let us know, let us know how you feel.
Speaker 2: You can hit the talkback button, let us know what you wanted you If you are planning to show at the Coach House, if you want to send a shout out to mister Doug Starks, just tap that talkback button and give us some feedback.
Speaker 3: We're happy to have it.
Speaker 9: Char read more lovely as a summer day, my re more just sint as a milky way. Whoa my char read more, pretty little one that I you know you're the only girl.
Speaker 4: My heart beats four and ah.
Speaker 9: I wish said you were mine in a cahafe or sometimes on a crowded street. I get need you, but you never not test me? Oh chaniem, won't you tell me? How could you ignore that? Behind a little smile, I are how we said you were mine.
Speaker 2: Kf I am six forty by everywhere on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 8: Thank you can celebrate love music at the Coach House with us. Thank you fantastic, Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: KFI AM sixty on demand