Speaker 1: Okay, Round two.
Speaker 2: Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 1: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino.
Speaker 3: Chum.
Speaker 2: That's right, Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum chumbacasino dot com nobercessary, my lowagy plus ters the condition of the busy website retails. Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbu Casino dot com and lived Chumba.
Speaker 1: Landeburgs necessary dwod wherever if I lost terms of It's eighty.
Speaker 4: Plus You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 3: Good Evening, a shocking expose of the deadliest killing spree in Canadian history and how police tragically failed its victims and survivors. As news broke of a killer rampaging across the tiny community of Porta Peak, Nova Scotia late on April eighteenth, twenty twenty, details were oddly hard to come by. Who was the killer, why was he not apprehended, what were police doing? How many were dead? And why was the gunman still on the loose the next morning and killing again. The RCMP was largely silent then and continued to obscure the actions of Denturis Gabriel Wartman after an officer's shot and killed them at a gas station during a chance encounter. Though retired as an investigative journalist and author, Paul Plango spent much of his career reporting on Canada's troubled National Police Force. Watching the RCMP stumble through the Porta Peak massacre only a few hours from his Nova Scotia home, Plango knew the story behind the headlines was more complicated and damning than anyone was willing to admit. With the COVID nineteen lockdown sealing off the Maritimes, no journalists in the province knew the RCMP better than Polango did. Within a month, he was back in print and on the radio, peeling away the layers of this murderous episode as only he could, and unearthing the collision of failure and malfeasance that cost a quiet community twenty two innocent lives. The book that we're featuring this evening is twenty two Murders, Investigating the Massacres, cover Up and Obstacles to Justice and Nova Scotia Part two with my special guest, investigative author and journalist Paul Polango. Welcome back to the program and thank you for this interview. Paul Polango, Thank you, Dan, good to be back. Thank you so much. People are highly anticipating this part two of this incredible I know I over use that word, but incredible story and remarkable book. Let's get to where we were last time. We were talking about your ongoing investigation and your use of media anywhere you could, podcasts and radio. Talked about Rick how radio show and your ability and your willingness to resort to controversy and ask some hard questions to get some people to come forward. Now, we hadn't mentioned somebody that's instrumental in helping you in this investigation, and that was Chad Jones. Tell us a little bit about Chad Jones and what some of the investigation that he does leads to in terms of a person named Leon Jodre Chad Jones.
Speaker 1: Okay, I came across Chad Jones in an unusual way. I was approached by a podcaster called Little Gray Cells, who do a YouTube channel. And this is all unfamiliar territory to me. You know, I'm an old guy who does radio, TV and the computer and I didn't know much about podcasts. And Little Gray Cells and their host who went by the name Seamus Gorman but whose actual name was Paul Ragona had me on and I think I was on a couple of times, and there was a panel of three on his end. There was him a guy named Steve and this other guy called NES guy who had sort of a ponytail or his hair tied back and a ponytail and added and as we chatted in the you know, the one or two times that I was there, I think it was two, I was really impressed by the questions that NS guy asked and his apparent intellect. And at some point we arranged to have a private conversation. I told him to call me. I had something, and we got talking and I realized that now he was the unusual guy. He you know, I needed help and I couldn't you know. I started out trying to help other journalists with what I could I knew and what I could sense about the story, and you know, help them with accessing good sources that I had inside the r scamp and outside the r scamp, and I couldn't get them. So I got Chad and I sort of had a meeting of minds, you know, we went up to pour a pic together and started scouting out the various locations and trying to do timing on what the RCMP said they did and what they actually did, what the possibilities were, and really we started mapping out the story together, and eventually I became to call Chad. I had a nickname from artificial intelligence, because anytime I had a question, I would just add, you know, call Chad up and instantaneously, this thirty three year old guy who worked as a distribution manager in Halifax knew the answer to everything very quickly. And plus he was monitoring what else was what was going on in the wider community, in the and in cyberspace.
Speaker 3: Now, tell us about the circumstances in which you get to interview this Leon Jodre and what exactly is his account and what does he have to say?
Speaker 1: Well, the difficulty in telling this story as I you know, as I pointed out in the previous episode, the Prime Minister had said, you know, we don't want to glorify Gabriel Wortman's infamy, we should not name him. And then the Canadian media dutifully went along with that, right across the board, a media, mainstream media. So now we had the perpetrator, and then we had his common law wife of nineteen years, who was never named in print, Like getting her name was almost impossible, trying to figure out who she was until Frank Magazine, the satire magazine in Halifax wrote a piece about her and cleverly described her as a hero, just so nobody would come back at them and you know, sort of pick up their office for outing Lisa Banfield and her name. So they sort of did it in a tongue in cheek way, right, And I wanted to know more about Lisa Banfield, and you know, and as you see in the story, the other thing that was going on, my health wasn't so good at the time. My wife's health wasn't so good at the time, and we had COVID lockdown, so we never really left home. You know, at one point in Nova Scotia, you weren't even allowed to leave your county. And eventually a sunny day came and Chad and I said, okay, let's go. He says, you got im meet Leon Jodry and he arranged there because on his own, as a citizen investigator, he was identifying other people because there's so many people in this story partition. There's twenty two victims, and there's the police, and there's the politicians. There's so many angles to go that, you know, you can tie up a lot of a newser of just following all the angles. So there was just the two of us at this point, and we said, okay, well let's drive up to portapec And it was like a two hour drive and we got there and we met Leon at a restaurant I think it called the C and C. And as I joke about it, Chad used to call it the Chewin' choke as a joke. R you know, like a typical thing they do in rural communities, you know, which wasn't fair with the food was pretty good. And we met Leon and then he took us on his version of the story, which was very compelling.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, that's what with the narrative from police, from the rs MP was that they hadn't been in contact with her at all till six thirty in the morning when she came out of the woods. Leon was telling you that she came to his cabin.
Speaker 1: It's not a cabin, it's a house.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a house. But the narrative was totally contradictory to what she had said and what the RCMP had said and what the media had reported. So tell us the difference, the vast difference.
Speaker 1: Well, the RCMP narrative is this woman was beaten, drag kick shot at you know, forced to watch her. The cottage burned down, the warehouse burned down. She tied up handcuffed in the back of a decommissioned police car, crawled through the silent patrolman that separates the front and back seat, escaped into the bush and hit out for eight and a half hours, dressed in yoga pants and a spandex top. She had no jacket, no gloves, no boots, And they said she arrived at you know for six thirty, came out of the woods just as the RCMP was going home. The old RCMP officers went home at six thirty because they presumed so. They said that we're been committed suicide. And right around this time she comes out of the woods and goes to Leon Jodrey's house. The RCMP goes rescue her, take her to the hospital, and then everything really goes silent. You don't know anything really about Lisa Banfield. And so we went and saw Wortman, and that where we went and saw Leon Jodriy, and his version of the story was somewhat different. Leon is one of the few people who survive this onslaught Porto Park remember thirteen people are killed. At the time, there might have been probably eighteen to twenty people residing in houses at that time of the year as far as seasonal community. So most of the people that were wiped out by warpman. And the night before, Leon who was you know, he worked in the forest. He worked for the provincial Department of Natural Resources. He did a lot of forestry work. Strong guy. His neighbors Jamie and Greg Blair, were cleaning up their property for you know, the spring clean up and cutting out some bush and him and Leon and another guy helped them that day taking bush down to the beach because once a year, a couple of times a year, they'd have a giant bonfire down there, a big party in the neighborhood with his giant fire on the waters of the Bay of Fundy, right, And then they went back to Jamie and Greg's house, had dinner at around nine o'clock. He went home because he's a early to bed, early to rise kind of guy. In the middle of the night, he said, he remembers exactly at three point thirty three am, he remember smelling smoke and he said the smoke was not wood burning, it was something else, and so he was quite alarmed by it. And after he thought about it, he got in his truck and he roared around the neighborhood in the dark, and there were no police there. And eventually he goes about a kilometer and a half almost a mile from his place to Gabriel Wortman's cottage at two hundred quart Pit Beach Road, and there's a police armored vehicle sitting there and the properties and cinder and the police just tell him to turn around and go back and get out of there, which is kind of odd because they still hadn't found workman. They how do they know it wasn't work How do they just set him away? So he roared around the other way up to the intersection down Orchard Beach Drive, went past Greg Blair's house. He saw it wasn't on fire. It was only four o'clock in the morning. He wasn't going to go in there, drove down a little farther, turned around, came up. Didn't notice that he had driven past two bodies lying by the side of the road, you know, Corey Ellison on one side, Leon's old girlfriend Lisa McCully on the other side. Behind the fence, drives back to his place, starts texting and trying to find out what's going on in his neighborhood, makes himself a coffee. At six point thirty, you know, the sun's coming up. There's a knock at the door and it's Lisa Banfield and he says, uh, you know, what are you doing here? You know, Gabriel doesn't like me. And Li says, oh, I'll leave, and she turned around to leave, and Wortman said, no, no, no, you can't go. You know. She said, Gabriel's gone crazy. And he brought her into the house and right away he said he noticed her makeup was perfect, and she said she had these skippy clothes on. And she said she'd been out all night in the woods and it was zero degrees celsius, which is thirty two degrees fahrenheit that night, and cold because it's a windy, windy place there. You know, the Bay of Fundi has the highest tides of the world. You imagine, you can imagine the wind right beside their all constant. So he called nine one one and got the operator, told him what was going on. I have Gabriel Wortman's girlfriend here, Da Da da DA and within three minutes swat team members where there are er team members for the RCMP. They you know, Leon gave her some shoes to wear, something to cover up a blanket. The police took her away, and they basically didn't search his house, didn't search his property. He said their behavior was really really strange in his opinion, and from the outside, he said, I don't believe her story, you know. He said, she didn't smell of gasoline, she didn't look like she'd been in the woods. This is a guy who knows the woods there and if you look at the woods, they're almost impossible to travel. The roads are gravel. Walking barefoot around the woods for eight and a half hours, I mean, Lisa said at one point she hid in a tree stump, and I thought, what is this like Lord of the Rings and lead you all without the same thing. So he wanted to tell his story, and he would tell everyone history, and it was very convincing. He's the kind of guy who looks you in the eye and tells you the story. But nobody wanted to hear his story, so the media would never report Leon's version of events. They'll talk about Lisa Banfield going to his house, but never that Leon thought didn't believe her story. And as I started to examine this story and eventually started reporting on it, others would be reporting on the story like Global News for example, did a podcast thirteen and a half hours, CBC did stories on it, other reporters did story and all they would do is report the version of the story that Lisa Banfield told to the police. And the RCMP would tell this story and when they were confronted by why did they use Leon Jogeres's story, Global News for example, on two occasions said well, his version of events doesn't fit the police version of events. And that's the kind of reporter were we're getting. There was no skepticism, no suspension of disbelief about the RCMP story, even though there were obvious holes in it, and when you could prove that there was something wrong with the story, other reporters were just ignore it. Where they're going to stick to the narrative that the police had given them. And that sort of forced me forward into telling digging deeper and starting to come up with the idea I was going to have to write a book there, because no one is going to listen to the to the real story.
Speaker 3: What we didn't mention too, is that part of her story was that she had been handcuffed in the back of one of these police cars and then she had escaped.
Speaker 4: What was his.
Speaker 3: Observance and regarded the handcuff, Well.
Speaker 1: He saw no handcuffs. There were no handcuffs, you know. I think she may have said, oh, I slipped out of the handcuffs. But in later as I did the investigation and met other people who were in the community, including one woman, Cindy Sterrett, who is sort of one of Wortman's regular girlfriends up there, and she had worked at an adult shop and had gifted some S and M type handcuffs, bondage handcuffs to workmen and along with other toys, and those handcuffs had a safety button on a release button that you could take off. So the question became, was she really handcuffed or what were these S and M handcuffs part of the show. But we still don't have an answer to that. Two years down the road.
Speaker 3: When you talk about the narrative that the police had tell us about this, you know, prelude to kidnap to the killings itself, and this was supposed to be their anniversary, their nineteenth anniversary this night, so they drove around a course to her, what did they do on this drive?
Speaker 1: According to her, on that day they had a criminal who we may or may not get to here, Peter Griffin working you know, who has spent time in jail for drug trafficking. Had associations with the laugh Familia cartel in Mexico and MS thirteen and the Hells Angels. He was their yard boy and he was recently off He was on parole or just off parole for a previous conviction. They went for a ride around sort of northern Nova Scotia. According to Banfield that they visited a few places that subsequently Workman would return to the next day and kill some people. But they also went to spring Hill where there's a prison, a federal prison, and he gifted some of his dentist equipment to another dentriss there, saying he was getting out of the business. They drove by another dentrous cottage. Her name was Gina Golay, who turned out to be his last victim, and Lisa Banfield told the police she didn't know how Workman knew where Gulay's place was. It's interesting to note that when the police first told this story, they didn't have the cottage in the story. They led people to believe that he had driven by Gina Galay's house, which was about almost an hour's drive in the other direction for its Halifax, and so it was all sort of vague, and the story was portrayed as he was driving around, was driving around, staking out places. But along the way he went to the prison and they looked at the prison and he told Lisa, I'm never going in there, which suggests there was something going in in his mind that either he was under investigation or something was going on to make him fear going into the prison. His uncle had been in prison, and meanwhile he had three other relatives who were our CFP police. So he was in this lotus of this in between world, and there was obviously things on his mind. You know, he was depressed. Friends said he was drinking a lot again and he was concerned about going to jail. They returned home around five o'clock that night, and then they went and apparently went over to the warehouse, which is about four hundred meters walk through the woods. And we're having a virtual party. This is the police story with a couple in Maine and someone said about a recommit you know, said they should have a recommitment ceremony the next year. And apparently this led to a fight between Workmen and Lisa Banfield, and then the events happened, the murders began to happen. That's the official story to me. It didn't pass the smell test.
Speaker 3: Before we talk about your further investigation, Let's people are familiar with Peter Griffin, but only in this limited way, and that he was responsible supposedly for the decal on the police car, on the replica car, the manufacturing of that. Can you tell us about that.
Speaker 1: Well, Peter Griffin, he is asidd this character who I sort of I identified in the summer of twenty twenty. His name had not been in the press and the RCMP hadn't released it. They said that the person who put the the decals on the police car they dressed up a fully functional looking police car, wasn't going to be charged and they were innocent victims. And I started to look. I heard rumors from various sources about this drinking group that Workman had of the Friday night Friday Afternoon club and they said there were some heavy dudes there that what I was told in other people, and I eventually figured out that one of the people was Peter Allen Griffin, and he had been arrested in Edmonton back in twenty and fourteen or so with heavy duty drug smuggling weapons and with links, as I said to left Familia MS thirteen and his own grandmother was in you know, associates with the Hell's Angels, and there were family friends, the two brothers named the Mercero Brothers, especially Randy Mercero. So this is a sort of this you start getting into the biker world that exists in an organized crime world in Colchester, with all these relationships that are very close to Workman and the activities he was involved in.
Speaker 3: Another breakthrough you talk about that was very important in this as your further investigation was a person named Laura Graham. What do you learn as a result of what she tells you? Laura Graham, you have to.
Speaker 1: Understand that, Okay, we're now like nine months down the road. The RCMP is refusing to release any real documents about what happened. They're making the media fight to get at what are called informations to obtain search warrants, and they're heavily redacted, so it's almost impossible to figure out what is going on what they did. They're not identifying any officers who were at the scene. They contended that they were working on a major investigation, which I knew was a cover because that's usually what they do. They shut all kind of discussion down saying they're working on an investigation, and no investigation ever happens. Because the RCMPS, as I showed in my previous books, was really good at building files but not building cases, so I'm suspicious to them doing that. And I eventually did a story that begins this sort of sequence, this tumbling sequence, into the deeper story. So first of all, I write up a new sort of timeline from what was happening based on new information I had, but I couldn't get anyone to publish it, and it was like frustrating as hell trying to get it published. Nobody would it's too long, it's too local. Well we've already done this, We've already plowed this field, you know, why would we do it again? And it wasn't It was it was like elaborating on and I felt that the story would open up new So anyway, I finally got the story published in Frank magazine, made a deal with them and I said, look, I'll do Frank. I'll do this for Frank, but you can't sort of make my sort of voice cheeky and satirical. I'm going to do straight reporting with some sort of analysis in every story. So Andrew Douglas, the editor, said go ahead and do us. We did it, and that attracted the attention of Jordan Bonaparte, who works in the insurance industry but does a podcast out of Halifax and then on the Global Network that Jordan had me on one Sunday night. And then it was like eleven thirty and I was falling asleep recounting this story. I was trying to stay awake. It was really I had had a long day. Then lo and behold, I get a message just before Christmas twenty twenty saying I heard you on Jordan and what you were talking about nine months earlier. I remember that night my husband was snoring and I woke up and I do this crazy thing. I have a scanner app on my phone and I look around for where the most activity is and that night it was in Pecto County, Nova Scotia, which is sort of sixty miles you know, ninety Kilombia. So now we're drive northeast of Portapec, more east of Portapec. I thought to myself, why would they be in Pecto County, Nova Stitt, Why would they they be using the radio there. So anyway, it took about ten days for me to get Laura on side, and then she finally showed me the scanner RAPP and what she'd done and came forward. So she lived in Orangeville, Ontario, which is outside of Toronto, about forty minute drive northwest of Toronto, just you know, northwest of the airport in Toronto, and she heard this. She was embarrassed about going on, you know, being identified. She didn't want people to know that she listened to a scanner app. But she was really concerned because she had heard policemen wandering around in the dark, finding bodies, not knowing where they are, getting GPS locations to identify where the bodies are, about a man hiding in the woods, and this whole sort of chaotic situation going on. This is nine months later she made and I'd say, well, what time was that she said, well, it was like two o'clock. And I said, well, how do you know it was two o'clock. It's just because I remember I woke up at this time in that time, and this is what happened. I remember looking at the clock and I remember this was around two o'clock, which means it was around three o'clock in Pecto, Nova Scotia, because Nova Scotia is on Atlantic time. So we went. So I had to try to find the Pecto County tapes. And I had this other citizen investigator named Pete Stevens who knew what we seemed to know all this stuff. And I said to Pete, you know, I'm looking for archives of is anyone does anyone archive these kind of things? And he said, I don't know that, but I know a guy And twenty minutes said or another citizen investigator says, here, here's where you find him. And it was on the US, a US channel called Broadcastify. I bought am members shipped to Broadcastify, and Chad and I bought memberships, I should say, and then we downloaded all of these things, found the tapes, and now we could hear what the Mounties were doing exactly like Lauris said, at three to zero three am two oh three her time, the police found the body of Corey Ellison, but then they marked it. They found Lisa mccully's body, they marked it. Then they just left it there sitting outside. They didn't put an yellow tape around. I think they put tarps over them at that point. And the bodies were lying there till like at least nine thirty in the morning, when other neighbors Judy Myers and her husband Doug were evacuated for the community and drove up Orchard Beach Drive. The bodies were still lying there. There's no tape, no nothing, no police guard. The police all went home and left him there. So this was an important step in the progress of the story because to be able to show this now opened up other doors. People began to see that I wasn't just blowing smoke about the RCNP and competence and what and raising questions about what was going Now I was no longer a conspiracy theorist raising questions. I actually had hard facts showing there was a problem here. And that became the importance of Laura Graham because that opened the doors for other people to step forward.
Speaker 3: Let's use this opportunity. Paul to stop for a second to hear from our sponsor, which is Grove. Did you know that only nine percent of plastic actually gets recycled no matter how much we put in our recycling bin. At Grove Collaborative, they believe it's time to ditch single use plastics for good. Grove carries hundreds of products aimed at replacing single use plastics across your home and personal care routine, and by twenty twenty five, Grove will be one hundred percent plastic free. Like Grove Coast concentrated cleaners and refillable glass bottles, they're friendlier to the planet and twice as effective as the leading natural brands. Switch to sustainable products for every room in your home, from laundry care to hand soaps and more, Grove co Has you covered with safe formulas and refillable packaging that never compromise on performance. My wife, Lisa works as a massage therapist and she was excited to see all the amazing products from Grove. She immediately ordered Grove's hand sanitizer gel and a blood orange scent made with essential oils. She and her patience loved it. It kills nine percent of germs in thirty seconds and meets CDC CDC guidelines. But it contains moisturizing aloe, coconut, jajoba, and sunflower seeds oils that hydrate instead of drying out skin. With every one of groves hundreds of products being non toxic, effective, sustainable, and cruelty free. Lisa and I think Grove's approach is revolutionary. So join over two million households already shopping sustainably at Grove. Go to Grove dot com slash trumer today to get a free gift set worth up to fifty dollars with your first order. Bus shipping is fast and free. Get started right now at Grove dot com slash true Murder Grove dot com slash true Murder. Now, Paul, we were talking about this the effect of this nine to eleven tapes and the release, and you also find out about Peter Griffin being evacuated while other people are still trapped in the home of Lisa McCully. So tell us what you find out and what is the reaction of this release of the nine to one tapes nine on one tapes and what does it lead to?
Speaker 1: Well, the first reaction is the typical one that the mainstream media wasn't interested in this. I mean one reporter. We gave it to reporters. We gave the tapes and the access to all reporters, saying here they are. We're telling you where they are. Download this before we do a story, so that you know, in case they're removed, at least you have them. Not one mainstream reporter did anything about them. In fact, one reporter when we gave them the tape, said, oh, I'm going to my cottage on the weekend. Maybe I'll listen to them and see if there's anything on them.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: You know, that's how sort of blackadaisical and uninterested they were and covering the story. They couldn't see what the issue was because the RCMP said they were doing the right thing. So that was totally ignorant. But we wrote the story and then that opened up all kinds of other avenues that we saw the Griffin family to understand this the story. On Portapic Beach Road, there's only one house, you know, like almost a mile over a mile down on the water side, and that was Gabriel Wartman's log cabin kept cottage beautiful place on the other side, past Wortman's house on the south. On the east side, going south towards the water, there was a house owned by John Sall and Elizabeth Juwayne Thomas, who had moved in there about three years earlier, and the cross street from that was the Griffin House owned by Alan and Joanne Griffin, Peter's parents, and Peter lived in a shack nearby, and that he was staying there at eleven so everything. The police arrive at ten twenty six. When they arrived, they go down Portapek Beach Road. Three of them go down there. Apparently they go down there anyways, I'm not sure I believe the story entirely, but they go down there, even though the three nine one one calls at ten to one, ten sixteen, and ten twenty six came from the parallel road Orchard Beach Drive, and there's no interconnection between those two other than the at the top of the intersection where they intersect and then they run roughly parallel. So the police went down there. They scattered around. The Werburn's cottage was on fire, and then the Zal's house was on fire. We're not clear when they're it's on fire. We stole two years down the road. Don't have a lot of detail about what happened there, but it was right next to the Griffin House, so at the Griffin House they could see what was going on from at the workman's place, because it was across a little bend in the water in the bay there at the mouth of the Portapec River. There's a little bend there they and it was straight across they could see it, and just to the right would be the zallhouse on fire. Meanwhile, on Orchard Beach Drive we had calls from four kids to twelve year olds and two ten year olds, The children of Lisa McCully and the Blairs had been murdered hiding in a basement, apparently on the phone with while they were on the phone beginning at ten sixteen with a nine one went operator who was to hear the tapes. You can find him on the internet. We got those tapes eventually, and they showed these children dealing with what could only be described as affeckless nine one went operator who was more concerned with the fires than the point that one of the children were saying, my daddy's lying dead on the front porch. My mom was shot and Gabriel Whartman did it, and he's dressed like a policeman. He's in a police car and he did all these terrible things to my mother. And the ban on operator is saying, did you get the license number on the car and the twelve round?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: So anyway, these kids are trapped there. But at eleven thirty, roughly in that area, between eleven thirty and twelve o'clock, the RCMP mounted rescue of the Griffins and escort them out of the community before the kids and they're saying, well now, they're saying, well, we knew the kids were there, we had them protected, and we had a password to go get them out. And they eventually get the kids out at one o'clock in the morning. The kids were there for three hours, trapped in the basement. But the RCMP never take command of the situation. So imagine they take Griffin, O, why did you take Griffin out? He's a criminal? What was the issue with griff So it raises questions about is there a relationship between the police and Griffin? And after Griffin was evacuated, he disappeared like he was taken out to a point his parents met with relatives that he disappeared for like a day. We don't know what happened to Griff. We don't know what he's doing. He has never taught. Meanwhile, the kids are trapped in the basement at mccully's house, and we know that Lisa McCully is lying dead on the front lawn by the rail fence and across the road eighteen meters away, you know, like eighteen yards roughly is Corey Ellison lying dead. And their bodies are there all night into the morning, and we still don't know when the bodies are removed on the Sunday. That's how lackadaisical the response was. And again raise this questions about what was really going on.
Speaker 3: Now we haven't spoken about this, but obviously this is a huge issue. Is the police not containing and believing in that somehow he had committed suicide. And that's when when we have the police leaving in the morning figuring that they'd heard a couple of shots and concluding that he had killed himself and hence was no longer a threat. So tell us further of your investigation, what you find out what actually happened.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's lots of shots people here during the night. I think that it's you know, all its munitions going off from the four fires of the new Was there four fires? Oh yeah, the four fires in the neighborhood. His house, the warehouse, the Galenchion house and this all house but Judy Myers and Doug Myers who lived down near Cobquid Court where the three Tuck family members are murdered, and the Bond family members Deck Star were murdered, Joey and Peter Bond. She remembers distinctly hearing shots at eleven twenty eight pm because she was just getting ready the evening news was local news was almost over and she's getting ready to watch The Honeymooners, the old TV show. She remembers specifically that happening. Others remember hearing shots later, and then the RCNP said, well, we heard one shot in the middle of the night, and we assumed that he was this kind of killer, and that we were he was committing suicide. And they never attempted to find the body because part because they didn't have the equipment. As we talked about in the previous episode, they didn't have any night vision gear. They didn't have a helicopter for heat seeking. They didn't have any of these things for one reason or the other. So they assumed that it's a cold night, it's all died down the fires that burned out because they wouldn't let the fire department in to fight any of the fires. They wouldn't let ambulances in because they didn't know where Workman was, and they literally went to sleep. The final point was that on the tapes that we were covered on the Picto County tapes, what they revealed was the chaos in supervision. And at one thirty four in the morning roughly I think it's four in the morning, a staff sergeant takes over as the incident commander, and the staff sargean at Jeffrey West is the head of the traffic division, right, That's what he and so he was the guy in charge making the calls. The one thing you'd think the head of traffic division would know how to do is put up roadblocks and stop people, but none of that ever happens. So they go home they're convinced he's dad. They didn't have a count on the cars how many decommissioned police cars Workman had, and they just forgot about it until the morning when forty minute drive away in Wentworth, another fire breaks. Reports come in around ninety fifteen in the morning about a fire and gunshots and weren't have been holed up for three hours at the home of corrections officers Sean McLeod and Atlanta Jenkins, and he kills volunteer firefighter Tom Bagley and then begiins his whole trip down, killing people along the way to throw the RCNP off.
Speaker 3: You find that he stays at the McLeod and Jenkins resident mysteriously for three and a half hours. Did you find out any reasoning for that whatsoever?
Speaker 1: Nobody knows. Like the theory was, ah, well, he went there because he knew Sean McLeod had weapons, right and ammunition. Well, that sort of throws a wrench in in the monkey works of the RCMP narrative, because the RCMP narrative is that Wortman was smuggling guns and weapons across the border and he was building up this terrible reserve of weapons that was going to carry out this long plan to assault and kill all of these people. But it appears that he ran out of ammunition, So how much did he have and he only had a handful of He had like a couple of pistols, a rifle, and I think another gun, like four or five guns. It's not like he was overly armed in the classic sense. Why did he go up there? I mean, there have been some debate, you know, the McLeod family believes, the Jenkins family denies that Atlanta Jenkins was involved in anything or that she even knew Wortman, either in a passing way. The McLeod family says there was a previous relationship there. Others say there was a previous relationship between Jenkins and Wortman, and then there are questions about, you know, if we was smuggling drugs. This does raise questions about his relationship with two corrections officers, one and one in a female prison, one in a male federal prison, and why did he go there? Like it's nobody really knows. Then the other thing that comes out of this. I was just talking to Scott McCloud, Sean Mcloud's brother, the other day, and he said, I saw the recent photos of the Corrections Office question services jacket. They say that Workman took from from my brother after he'd killed them, and that he had in the car when he was finally shot. He said, that's not a question service jacket. It's a blue jacket. Our jackets are green. And it looked like it was sort of like a home made thing that it wasn't real, And that's never really been discussed. You know, the RCMP has continued to pass this off as another piece of paraphernalia from law enforce but that Werban had gathered. But it doesn't seem to be an authentic piece, and that's never really been addressed.
Speaker 3: Another thing that doesn't fit this narrative of this injustice collector necessarily with staying three and a half hours at these correctional officers place murdering them was the sexual relationships that you discovered that were discovered with Whartman himself. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Werbman was a hyper sexual guy. And the more you get into it, you start to see that there's all like he's this crazy guy who built little miniature coffins, even showed one of his clients in Dartmouth a big coughin he had built in his back room of his denture clinic. He collected motorcycles, et cetera, et cetera. But what we learned is that he was always measuring men and women for sex. For example, is discussing as it seems he'd measure their mouths to see if he would fit in. Often basically get involved with some of his clients and one of his girlfriends. Crazy things happened back in the neighborhood. He had an ongoing relationship with Lisa McCully, who had also had a relationship with Leon Jodree. In between, he had a relationship with Gita Goley, his last victim. He was seen reportedly seen by others police law enforcement people in the Caribbean once with Atlanta Jenkins, and he was wearing at that time an RCMP T shirt or something like that, and it caused one of the policemen who were there on vacation saying, oh, approach him, Oh you you know you on the job, And they said, we just turned around and walked away and never showed up again. It wasn't seen for a long time. So he had this sort of all this strange stuff going up, but he never had problems, it seems with women. There were women all over who were happy to be with him, which was like he was like crazy, paranoid. He just seemed like kind of guy who would who would be struggling to do that. But he had a It's clear that he had this soft side that appealed to a lot of women. Number women said he's fun to talk to, and he was this and he was that, and they never saw a dark side. So this raises questions too about Lisa Bainfield's claims about him being violent all the time, because nobody else has come forward and said this. And I'm sure there were some domestic violence issues, but it's like reading about you know, Johnny Depp and Amber heard, you know, there seemed to be some violent accusations of violence in that relationship on both sides, and you have to wonder if that's the case here, if there was some sort of quid pro quo in a very sick relationship. So you know, you get into the Injustice Collector and things like that, it doesn't really sell that there's something else going on here at one point. You know, I do speculate in the book he's so hyper sexual, gets in people's faces, has no sense of distance. It's almost like he's has burgers or something or undetected. Asperger is there's something not quite right about him, but he seemed harmless to a lot of people, even though he had all these violent things going on in the subtext of his life.
Speaker 3: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second for these messages.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about.
Speaker 3: Anywhere, Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 1: Has anyone seen the bride and groom? LORI sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 2: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 1: In that case, I pronounce you lucky. Thanks for free. At Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by Law eight team plus terms and conditions applaing see website for details.
Speaker 3: Now let's get to the Mashed Casualty Commission. At first, the RCNP do not want to do anything approaching any kind of official inquiry. There's a review, but also we'll talk about the investigation that you have about in New Brunswick and what you discover about Hell's Angels investigations and prosecutions in New Brunswick.
Speaker 1: Well, my sources said there's something big here that's bigger than the twenty two merders what they were trying to do, And I tried to figure out, like what is it? So the only thing that sort of made sense was Werbman was a police agent, worman or someone close to him was a police agent or confidential informent, some sort of protected asset. But if he's a protected asset, where would where was he working? The RCMP denied that he worked for the RCMP, but that was the RCMP in Nova Scotia. And I know how the RCMP. Like in a previous book, I had a chapter called Shades of Truth, how the RCMP tells the story right and they don't really tell the truth. In fact, I had someone commented on reading the books that who worked with the RCMP yesterday told me I read your book and said, did you notice that every time something major come up, their first response was a lie and then you prove it? And I, yeah, I said that that's what I'm glad you saw that. So I started to look at this issue of undercover operations, So where do they work? Well, if they're working not in Nova Scotia. What if he's working in New Brunswick. It's only like a thirty five to forty minute drive from Port Depict to New Brunswick border and Monkedon the major city is right, you know, like another thirty minutes away. And when I looked into New Brunswick, what I saw, curiously was ten days before the rampage began on April eighteen. So in April tenth, twenty twenty four people were charged. Two of them were Hell's Angels, two were from Hell's Angels puppet clubs. And in the press release, the RCMP went out of their way to talk about two members of the Hell's Angels nomads or the elite of the art of the of the Hell's Angels. They don't have a club, they wander and the two those two guys were Robin Moulton and Emery Pittmartin. Then I talked to police sources and they kept saying to me there was an informant got some informants got blown, their cover got blown or something happened, and these informants were killed. And I tried to find this. I mean, there's no press release like that, no cases like that. So I eventually started going through all the missing perfect persons and murders in New Brunswick and then come up with this court case where the probate judge has banned publication of anything going on in this case of these two murder victims, Bernard and rose Marie Solnier in theep just outside of Moncton. Well, it turns out my police sources eventually told me as I investigated this, that the Solnier's son, one of their sons, was involved with the Hell's Angels and he was running a drug operation and they were concerned about it. The parents were concerned about it, and according to Mysaurus, reported to the RCMP what was going on. A big rate took place in August twenty nineteen. On September six, twenty nineteen, charges were laid that night the Salonniers were murdered, right and horribly murdered. The mister Solnier was really bad. It was really bad what happened to him. And then I also learned that one of the people who was there had disappeared, which raised questions about what happened to him. His name was Brady Tompkins. This has never been reported, so I'm reporting this for the first time in the book. And then Tompkins connection. So we're going in two directions here. One is Wermon bragged that he could make bodies disappear to people. The RCMP E would report this and some of the police documents that he made these assertions. I started to wondering who disappeared, so I started looking at various people who disappeared. It was Worbman involved that way. Secondly, I hear that an RCMP staff sergeant who was involved with the undercover operations in your Brunswick committed suicide. His name was Bruce Reid. He committed suicide. The RCMP version of events was he had personal problems. My sources told me that he was distraught about what happened to two informants who were killed. Right, And that seemed to be the salniest because he operated out of the Hampton sub detachment just south of Bunkton, and that was responsible. That detachment was responsible for a lot of the undercover operations going on in the new Frontal Carrier.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So with this you make how do you tie Wartman to these cases? What is the motive?
Speaker 1: Tell us, Well, he had a background as an undertaker, even the rcmp SA, he admitted that he can make people disappear. I met a contractor who worked on his warehouse property who told me there were strange little fire pits all over the property that gave him the creeps that it's all part of the mystery. And then there was another fellow who went missing in Truro, not far away from Quortepec, same thing, who was hooked up with biker gangs in the area and went missing right around this time. So shortly before workman starts to go off the rails, the police put out a refresher on this Tony Walsh who went missing, to remind the public that you know, he got it last he getting into a Ford f one fifty. There's a million Ford f one fifties in Canada. Wortman had one two same color. So it's just around the edges of this story. It doesn't mean anything right now, but all I'm saying is, you know, the second part of my book, Dan was the search for the truth, and part of the search was for the truth was looking at all the various things that are going on in the community at this time, and there's a lot of creepy stuff going on and Wortman is a creepy guy. So it's just raising these questions and hopefully we'll get some answers in the future.
Speaker 3: You talk about a curious event that happens at the Oslo Fire Department where a EMO officer is is fired upon by a couple RCMP, and then those RCMP eventually leave the scene, and that what I'm saying is that's curious in that it has some relation, it seems to the gas station video. And what you claim is it seems like that the police had their orders to kill rather than arrest Wartman.
Speaker 1: On the Sunday morning of April nineteenth, twenty twenty, Wortman came down Highway four after killing McLeod Jenkins, Tom Bagley and Lilian Campbell Hisslop, who was walking down the road going for a morning constitutional. He pulled over and killed her. Then he went down to the house of the Fishers, who are sort of friends or acquaintances. We're not sure what kind of friends are acquaintances, appears to threatened them leaves. He appears to be able to hear what the RCMP are doing. The RCMP ert show up around ten in the morning and they think they have workman pinned down, but he's already escaped and gone over back up highway for he'd already passed excuse, he already passed a mount. He coming down the mount, he refused to chase him because he was afraid. Then he went down planes road, killed the VLN nurses Heather, Brian and Kristen Beaton. But when he was at the Fisher house, the ERT went in there and they asked for what is compromise authority. Compromise authority allows them to shoot someone if they're perceived to be a danger or their escaping, and does not require a superior to sort of assess the situation and give the order. So it's a thing used in ERT circles. So what we see after the Fisher incident is that it appears that the ERT and some people associated with the ERT, like the two constables who show up about twenty minutes later at the Oslo Belmont fire Hall. They're driving east on highway too. It's firstly impossible to see the fire hall until you're on top of it because of fencing and Bush's speed limits and stuff. The official story is we thought we saw workman wearing a safety vest Werbon was wearing an orange safety best This EMO worker David Westlake was wearing a green safety vest, and there was an RCNP car parked behind him, a full cruiser with safety cones around him. The two officers said they stopped. He shouted out orders. There were no answers. They couldn't that the people wouldn't response. They started firing at them and these bullets went everywhere, went through the wall. I hit a fire truck inside. Corey Ellison's father was in there. That was a rescue station, so that the RCMP shot up this. They did about forty thousand dollars damage and then they got out and they ran. One went into the door of the fire hall and said everyone okay, yeah, but took off and they headed towards Truro, trying to catch up to Werben, who had passed that station about twelve minutes before there. When I went and investigated it, what the police said couldn't have happened. However, the police watchdog si rts seriousness the response team and it's leader, director, former Judge Felix katchi On, He issued a report saying it was a cleaning thing, it was a mistake. They were under stress, and what I saw was they shot from far west of where they said they were, because they hit the sign to the west of the station and caused a lot of damage, destroyed the sign. So it suggested they were operating like snipers, and that they're still operating under this notion of compromise authority. So you have to keep that in mind that now they were acting like Steiger's was almost a shoot likely a shoot to kill order is that's effectively what it is, or how they interpreted. And eventually when they get down half an hour later or so more than half an hour, yeah, about almost an hour later. Workman continues on, So you remember a couple of things have happened here. A police officer sees a refuses to turn around and go after him because he's not prepared and he's afraid. Then they shoot up the Honswi Belmont fire hall. They never issue a warning to the town of Truro, which has its own police force to block off the town. Weerban drives right through there, rip past the hospital where LESA. Banfield is, continues south, eventually ends up killing shooting at Constable Chad Morriston at Morrison, killing Constable Heidi Stevenson a few hundred meters away from there, killing good Samaritan Joey Weber, who pulls up at the site, going another kilometer killing Gena Galley, eventually finding him his way to Endfield. And when you look at the video at Enfield, the cert report said, oh, it was a please shoot. All of these things happened. There was a confrontation, the two officers had this little dance with Werbman before they identified him, and then they shot him. Well, we were able to prove with leaked tape that didn't happen. That happened at Elmsdale, about six to seven minute drive up the road, at another gas station, and they fuse these things together. So when you look at the tapes of what happened at Enfield, the police appeared to pull up, get out and just kill Wortman and fire like twenty four shots into him. And they say, oh, well he was raising a gun and we had to take him out. And people say, yeay, you killed the bad guy. But you know, dead men don't talk, So it puts the rest of the question, like what was really going on and what was Werman's side of the story. When I look at the tapes. What I see is and not only me, but others have looked at the tapes, and it looks like Werman has a white napkin in his handling. He's trying to wave the white flag when they kill him. The RCMP's final version of story, which just came out this week, was well, he was putting a gun to his head to commit suicide, which is a convenient story because if he committed suicide, that all their actions for killing the for shooting him twenty four times are moot because while he was already dead, we just finished him off. So it's a clever sort of a sinister way, depending on your point of view, of getting away from any thorough examinations.
Speaker 3: Now we've listened to your conclusions, but we haven't before I let you go about this commission and what they found and what was their conclusions. And you know, if it's still ongoing, it was delayed from the fall to January, So tell us the status and what is their conclusions.
Speaker 1: Well, the commission is set up in a way that they've adopted restorative justice principles and their Trauma in form, which means they don't want to release anything that's going to cause anyone in the families to be upset.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The RCMP Union went before it and asked that all the RCMP members be exempted from testifying because they're too traumatized by all of this. Sure, this is what's been going on that they've let out. There's no real testimony in a classical sense. You get people going in. You've had a couple of times where Mountis have gone in testifying in groups of three and two telling what appear to be well rehearsed stories without much cross examination or effective cross examination because of time limits to puncture their stories. And they have these, you know, emotional hero victim type stories. You know, one one guy to hear all the other guys a victim. And even the lawyers and the families involved are you know. The other day Josh Bryce and one of the lawyers representing the Bond family got up and said, this is not transparent. This is you're playing games here, you know. And you know the Rob Pinot, another lawyer who represents most of the family, has said the same thing. Observers have said that we had a lawyer, a queen's counsel, a senior learn in Halifax wrote a piece of the Halifax Chronicle Herald last week, saying that it's not transparent. It's a cover up, and that's why my book. I wrote my book. I can sense this was going to happen, and that's why I boldly say in the title it's a cover up, and it's all sort of dovetailing in that direction. And people outside other than me can now see it. And they're the you know, they're they're speaking to the record about this. We're speaking on the right.
Speaker 3: For the boss. Absolutely, I don't know. Thank you very much Paul Plango for coming on and talking about your book, twenty two Murders, Investigating the Massacres cover Up and Obstacles to Justice in Nova Scotia. Been an absolute pleasure. Is there a website or some way that people might find out more about this or contact you.
Speaker 1: They can contact me at Paul Polango at ProtonMail dot com, which is an encrypted service. I don't You can just have to track me down. I don't have a website yet. We may do a website, but you know on Facebook, you can find me on Facebook. It's not hard to find me. Look either under Polango Dispersing the fog my previous book or McNamara Polango. My wife and I together, I'll get back here. People find me from everywhere.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Paul Plango, twenty two murders, investigating the massacres, cover up and Obstacles to justice in Nova Scotia. Thank you very much. You have a great evening. Thank you so much for this interview.
Speaker 1: Thank you, good night,