Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to coming Out Pod. It has been a little bit of time. I took September off. We are back now. October is. I think June is like the big month that we get, like, at least in America, gay everything. October is I think the second gayest month. It is Halloween is is a gay holiday and also National coming Out Day in October. In fact, if you are listening to this episode the day it is being released, Happy National Coming Out Day to you. I always try to release an episode on the actual day. So yeah, October a very gay month. So okay, queer root shout out. I'm actually surprised I haven't done this one yet, but I'm pretty sure I haven't done this one yet. Shout out to you if your queer room is Daphne from Scooby Doo. Daphne from the Scooby Gang. I had a huge crush on Daphne and the Scooby Gang. The whole gang is queer. In my I feel pretty solid on this. Fred and Velma definitely gay. Daphne Bye High Pham Bye, and then Shaggy ar Oace in a queer platonic relationship with Scooby Doo also a great group costume if you're looking for like a queer group costume, Scooby Gang, so shout out to you if Daphne is your queer root. I also picked Daphney kind of thematically because my guest today has red hair. I was like, God, I did Little Mermaid already. I did Jessica Rabbit, who's left Daphne classic. I am here with Catherine McCafferty.
Speaker 2: Hello, Katherine, Hello, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Catherine is a comedian and the host of Pretty Gay, which is we're going to talk about Pretty Gay at length later in the episode, but season two of Pretty Gay is currently you can watch it on Catherine's Patreon. We're going to give all those details at the end. I've been watching clips of it all week. It is so funny. I really want I definitely want to talk to you about I believe you have your your ex girlfriend on this season. Correct I's on the teaser. Yeah, I definitely want to talk to you about that. But yeah, when I got the email, you sent the email being like, hey, I'd love to promote season two of it, I saw that I was already following you. I had been following you for a while just because like you're a funny quer a comedian, and I was like, oh my god, I know who this is. So I'm very excited to talk to you. I know you just got back from Edinburgh as well. You did the festival.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did the Fringe for the whole month. So I'm acclimating back to real life. And I don't recommend real life. I don't think it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you go back after I've been twice as like a spectator, but I've never been with a show and done like like the most I've been is like probably just a weekend, maybe a week So yeah, what is what was that? Like?
Speaker 3: It was crazy?
Speaker 2: And I still feel like I'm sort of coming down from the high of it all because you're performing every single day and I had a one person show.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: You know, it was a comedy show, but it also like dealt with some hard themes and so doing it every day you sort of like have to put your emotional like journey on a shelf and then like pick it back up and sort of check in with yourself at the end of every day and you're just like.
Speaker 3: Going, going, going, going, going.
Speaker 2: And it was it was really emotional. It was really amazing and I am definitely going to go back again next year.
Speaker 1: God, that's so cool. And is there like there's such a party scene at Edinburgh? Is there like a queer contingent? Is it like is it like everybody is like we're artists? Or is there also like this is the queer party? Like what's the vibe there?
Speaker 2: There are some like queer parties that are put on by like different uh, different groups. And then there was like a group chat with dykes to watch shows with and so they had like a few meetups and stuff and so you just yeah, it was that was like fun and and I was grateful to like know about that, which I sort of like got roped in from another lesbian who was like, you should be in this group.
Speaker 1: And that's what we do. We recruit even just within each other, yeah, pulling into our Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I was I was sort of chatting with somebody who uh who was a part who.
Speaker 3: I met at one of the new ups, and she was.
Speaker 2: Like, there is a queer scene in Edinburgh, but because it's overrun by like the festival, it sort of like goes underground. And we never ended up actually going out together because she was like, I'll take you to like a club that's like a lesbian club, and we just didn't like link up because you.
Speaker 3: Sort of like end up hanging out with a lot of performers.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's like everyone's theater kids in some way, So that's already kind of queer. Just yes, because it's so cool that you did it as a performer. That's that's really awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a fun challenge too, to sort of be like you're doing an hour of material every single day and you pass out flyers too, and you're you just feel like so crazy because.
Speaker 3: You're like come to my show and just a pro strangers, like total so many.
Speaker 2: Strangers every day with like a little flyer being like please.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please come.
Speaker 1: Humbling but like and also already going out like every night and like and drinking and keeping up with like UK drinkers like I can't know, okay, okay, okay, no person show. That's probably a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would go out like we would all sort of go out and maybe get like a.
Speaker 3: Drink or okay, you're walking home, like I'm in a city. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm a lightweight to begin with, I'm like, I'm not going to walk home at three am like drunk.
Speaker 1: You know, so smart. I love hearing this from you because I feel like people go to Edinburgh and just like lose their capability for reason, and like you just it sounds like you made really smart decisions. I saw that your show got great reviews, like you did it a really smart way, so yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did all go out like one night that was sort of like our drunk night where we were like, we're gonna go dancing and there was like.
Speaker 3: There's a bar that was open into like five am.
Speaker 2: I ended up walking to the bus stop with another comedian that I had met that night and we ended up both taking the bus because I couldn't get like an uber, I couldn't get.
Speaker 3: Like a car and it was five thirty am. So I was like, oh, people are going to work. It's like literally totally.
Speaker 1: So okay. I'm glad you went one night of like total debauchery, and yes the rest of you were very you played it smart. You played it smart, and now you're home so okay. How Because we were talking about the dykes of watch shows with it, et cetera, et cetera. How do you identify?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I do sometimes feel like saying the word dyke seems like I'm homophobic, like coming out of my face, because I'm not. And I don't know if that's just like me judging me because I am like feminine and have been with men, So I think that's maybe just like a little bit of internalized like whatever, I don't know, but also trying not to like co opt a community where I'm like, maybe I'm not a part of you, you know, but I identify as Catherine she her, and I would say, like maybe I'm by curious, but I identify as pretty gay. And that is why we named the show that, because I was, yeah, because like I'm not interested in going out with a man on a date or.
Speaker 3: I'm not really interested in.
Speaker 2: Any of it with somebody who identifies as a man. But I have had a couple men in my life before I came out who I like really did love, and so I just don't feel like I can be like I'm a lesbian, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh that's so nice. That's like in homage to them and like what they meant for your life, even if currently you're have no interest. That's really love. Yes, yeah, I also give you so much credit. I fucking love by curious from the other side of things, because I don't I've ever heard of that. That's a really beautiful modern interest on by curious.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel though, when like people will be like, well, like, would you like kiss a guy?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yeah, maybe if I'm like.
Speaker 2: Out wrong exactly truly, and I'm like, like, just get my.
Speaker 3: Heart broken, Like right, who's the who's around?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Does it ultimately get me into a girls you know room?
Speaker 1: It's a really it's a reclaiming. I really like that. And then I mean, I asked this question I feel like all the time. Well, first of all, does does the label or term or whatever does fem like resonate to you? Do you ever feel or like because I know you said feminine and I never want to like put the fem label on anybody, but like, yeah, but I'm curious about how you feel about that. And if you do, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you do. You get assumed straight. Maybe not from people in our community, but just like you'll be like uber drivers straight people in general.
Speaker 3: Like oh yes.
Speaker 2: I feel like people in the community they are like, you're wearing too many rings to be straight, okay. And then outside of the community, yeah right, And then outside of the community people do I.
Speaker 3: I get assumed as straight.
Speaker 2: A lot, and I actually there's I was in Edinburgh and we were chatting with uh, this straight man and it was me and my friend Olivia, who is a lesbian, and he said something.
Speaker 3: Like, well, you're not that kind of gay.
Speaker 2: To Olivia, like about something else, and I don't remember what it was, but then I immediately set him start. Yeah, I set him up for failure. And I was like, what kind of gay is she? And he was like, well, you know, like you know, like you're like sporty, uh like sporty mom vibes and we were like, oh no, okay, interesting and then I said, and what kind of gay am I?
Speaker 3: And he said you're kind of like straight codd and I like lost my mind. I was like, I'm straight coated. I started like counting my rings. I was like, look at how short my nails are, counting my rings. I was like, I'm wearing face gens. That's gay. I have butterflies on my leather jacket. That I like glued on. That's very gay.
Speaker 2: I have straight across bangs and a streak in my hair that my ex girlfriend put in there that is gay.
Speaker 1: I was like, god, so mad. Yeah yeah, I think I think we as and I mean we like commune. Like the culture of like straight gay everybody has progressed, especially a straight man using the term coded. I'm like, oh, I feel like I know I was picking up some terminology.
Speaker 3: It was you picked up just like the wrong things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's maybe trying or he's like part of the way a journey too. But I do still think that one thing that like they can't let go of is like long hair is O is gonna get you assumed straight right off the bat or like bye if they're really progressive, but like it's still the hair thing, Like it's still and still.
Speaker 2: The people are still sort of assuming like oh you're gay, like and I'm I fall into that trap sometimes too, where sure like somebody was walking around with, you know, a very cool short haircut and I was like, oh wow, that's a lesbian and.
Speaker 3: Then and then I was like, nope, not at all.
Speaker 2: And I was like oh wow, okay, so I sort of have to check myself.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we all. The hair thing is like that's like the last bastion that we really are just attached to all of us. It's turkey, it's turkey. It's oh my god. Okay, So we I feel like we've we've dipped into some things that I already am like, oh, put a pin in that. I want to hear about it. But yeah, I want to hear your out story what that means to you. Uh yeah, because we know, we know there were some guys who you loved, and we know that there was an eventual coming out and now you're pretty gay. So yeah, let's go back to the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I had like a great first boyfriend in high school and he uh he was just like like classic first boyfriend, like making out in cars, like so sweet, Like we never felt like there was pressure to do anything more than that. But I will say that I didn't really understand that boys wanted to like touch your body, and it was very.
Speaker 3: Like uncomfortable with my body. I know it seems like so like duh, like he's.
Speaker 1: Very sweet, but also I mean you're Catholic. Yes, I've heard you talk about it. Yeah, and also the name Katherine McCafferty. I feel like it's kind of a giveaway. So like, how Catholic were you raised? Like how much of that is like in your brain making you feel guilty about everything?
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely in my brain, and I think that it was in also just like the people that I was hanging out with were also raised Catholic. So okay, it wasn't that my family was super Catholic. My mom actually had like a whole like I guess.
Speaker 4: Come to Jesus moment where she was like, I'm not Catholic and I don't believe in God and a reverse come to g reverse in Jesus moment.
Speaker 1: It's like taking Vicarious and turning out, it's here your mom to come to Jesus and actually moved away.
Speaker 2: From and said no, thank you, yeah Jesus in the face and said no, not for me. And so my parents were divorced. Okay, uh, so we would be with my mom more often than my dad, but they did have shared custody and we were with my.
Speaker 3: Dad on the weekends and he went to church. So we did go to church on.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, gotcha, gotcha? Gotcha? And and how brother's sisters.
Speaker 3: What's the I have an older brother.
Speaker 2: Uh, and we were very close and we're still we're still close.
Speaker 1: Okay, lovely. Okay, So you're getting more religion from your dad on the we go to church every weekend, but your mom is sort of like done with.
Speaker 2: My mom's like trying to be Yeah, my mom's like I don't agree with the Catholic church.
Speaker 3: I don't agree with religion.
Speaker 1: God, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's cool. I have a pretty cool I want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about the videos you've done with her later, because like I saw, I couldn't believe it was your mom, Like I was like reading the caption and make sure because my like the idea of talking about anything even remotely in the realm of sex or sexuality with my mom like makes me like like I would into plans. So I could not believe even though like there's a resemblance, Like I knew it was a rob, but I was just like, is this really a rob? So your mom seems very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool, And she.
Speaker 2: Was always like like she was sex positive. But I will say like when I did get my first boyfriend, she sort of like got very nervous.
Speaker 3: I think and felt like I was hiding things.
Speaker 2: Because I was I was like, yeah, I'm sixteen, I'm not going to tell you things.
Speaker 1: So this is the sweet boy though was when you were.
Speaker 2: So he was really sweet and I'm really lucky that like that is how my uh sort of like introduction to like kissing and dating. Like I was lucky that that's how that started because he was very respectful.
Speaker 3: I was uncomfortable when he would like.
Speaker 2: Touch me, and I just looking back, I'm like, oh, well, I was just a poor little baby gay being like I don't understand and I didn't.
Speaker 3: I really didn't want to see him naked.
Speaker 2: But then I'm just like I was into Like I was totally into him, and so I think the thought of them being like maybe I am gay, it just didn't like cross my mind. And Okay, I always thought that women were attractive. I was always sort of like obsessed with like different like TV characters or real live women, and I just thought that was really normal. I was like, well, you know, it's like the thing that I think we all go through, which is like do I want to be her or do I want to like be inside of her?
Speaker 1: Oh? I like yeah, I was going to say the classic, but you you made it a little more graphic, which I appreciate that usually do I want to be her or be with her, but yeah, that's let's get right.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know what the second part is, and I think it should be that let's be real about.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So so that I was like, you weren't suppressing on a conscious level. You weren't like dealing with guilt and pushing it down. You were just like, I don't really want him to touch me. I don't really want to see him naked. But he's really nice and I like him, and also girls are pretty, so yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was all and like a mix of like like not, there was no clarity. It was sort of just like okay, And then things in like my home life was it was tough, like growing up, there were like people were just dealing with problems. And so I went to I dropped out of high school and I went to college a year early. Oh wow, and I okay, and I did this program where we were all in the same dorm because we were all underage, you know, and but we were taking all like of the college.
Speaker 3: Classes and that's so cool. It was cool. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was in a very remote place, so I was pretty isolated. And that school was seventy five percent men.
Speaker 1: Seventy five percent men, okay, And was that just like was that I'm not like, did you do that on purpose where you're like, let me find a school's majority of men or was it just like schools that would let people come earlier? Like how did you end up? It was okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just because of the program. And here's the thing I got waitlisted at, Sarah Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I think about like how my life would have been like different and had just like gotten into because they had a similar program, And.
Speaker 3: I think, like, you know, things would be different. But I think sometimes when.
Speaker 2: We go back in time and we were like if only we don't also like take into account the fact that like it could have been terrible, could have could have.
Speaker 1: You might not have been ready for that yet, like as someone who hadn't yet dealt or not dealt because it sounds like you weren't repressing, but as someone who hadn't realized any of that yet. Sarah Lawrence is like fucking baptism by fire like lace is yay? So like that might have been too much.
Speaker 3: It might have been yeah, it might have been much, might have never come out of the closet.
Speaker 2: But anyway, then I just like sort of had a series of like bad boyfriends, and.
Speaker 1: At this end of school you have to yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, like one, I guess and then another one was like nice but boring, and.
Speaker 1: You know, which is kind of the biggest crime of all, honestly for like a Communian or a performer.
Speaker 2: Interesting, you're giving me nothing that's so mean, but really just boring. Like when I would introduce him to people, we had a lot of fun, but then I felt like she couldn't like keep up like I have like a loud family, you know, and we're like we're like talking over each other, We're talking about like random things.
Speaker 3: We're like talking talking, talking, talking.
Speaker 2: And I visited his family and I would try to ask like questions that were not yes or no questions, and his dad and his stepmom would somehow answer in the fewest amount of words possible, and I was like, what are we doing at this table together? Like this is so awkward, Like do you guys just not talk? Do you just stare at each other? That's crazy?
Speaker 1: God? Yeah, as a as a podcast host. That is I mean, that's the nightmare. Yeah, and you were you were in an immersive experience.
Speaker 3: I was like, what are we doing? So anyway, I.
Speaker 1: Do want to ask the being in the twenty five percent of women at this school, like was that just sort of like like pushing through like people guys being like, hey, what's going on? Like was it just like over like what was?
Speaker 4: What was?
Speaker 2: It sort of hated us because we were all underage, so we weren't eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that also comes with like a whole gross like aspect where you're like.
Speaker 3: Very much that's what you're thinking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty vile, but at least which I guess I should be thankful for in this well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was mostly like they didn't want us at their parties in case somebody did something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like.
Speaker 3: You're just sort of like what uck? Yeah, So that was the vibe there. So I transferred out.
Speaker 2: I ended up going to Loyola University Okay, Yeah, which is actually where I first met my ex girlfriend.
Speaker 1: This is in Chicago, Loyola in Chicago. Yeah, I went to Northwestern. I've walked by your campus off time.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yeah I've been.
Speaker 2: I've been to Northwestern cool. Yeah, we were in each other's campuses.
Speaker 3: Wait love that.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah, I transferred, I got out. I still wasn't out of the closet yet though, and I was like.
Speaker 3: Kind of always like dating somebody.
Speaker 1: Were you realizing anything at this point yet? There's still hadn't really percolate.
Speaker 2: There was just like a lot going on. There was like always just sort of a lot going on. There was like family stuff, and then I would date these guys who would like there was a lot going on there, and so I just feel like I didn't ever check in with myself, like not like a single time.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's but the upside is you didn't have any like I was saying, like like guilt and shame, and you know, there's no I wasn't not realizing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't like, oh, you can't be that.
Speaker 2: But then there was a little bit of that when I moved to LA there was a little bit of me being like, wait a second, because I had kissed girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you said the first was the first girlfriend not at Loyola.
Speaker 2: Okay, so no, I met my ex girlfriend at Loyola technically, but we didn't date until like ten years.
Speaker 3: Later get out. Oh when we met when we met here, like again.
Speaker 1: And this is fun, and that she.
Speaker 3: I know that she was out in college, so.
Speaker 1: But you didn't know when you met her that she was queer.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: So okay, we just like watched a movie together with other people, so okay.
Speaker 3: It was really not like a true meeting.
Speaker 1: It was not a momentous. It was not a queer awakening or a queer root.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 1: So I love this delay of game story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just sort of like was like going along being like women are beautiful, and I would say things I started to like pepper it into when I would meet like new people, sort of being like, oh yeah, I definitely want to date a woman.
Speaker 3: I was like not out yet.
Speaker 2: People had to remind me that I said that, Like when I told them I was like, okay, so I'm actually queer. They would be like, yeah, wait, what do you think you're coming out to me right now?
Speaker 1: Because you really didn't connect that thought to queerness. No.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love And I say this like in my stand up and like in my solo show.
Speaker 3: I like legitimately.
Speaker 2: Before coming out, told my therapist that I was going to marry a man and then I was going to watch him die, and then I would get to have second life where I dated women.
Speaker 1: Wow, what did your therapist do with that, Colonel?
Speaker 3: So she sort of was like.
Speaker 2: You could do that now, good, that's there. Don't have to watch a man die. But I actually did have to watch a man die. He was not my husband, he was my dad. Oh So after my dad passed away, though, I felt like it was sort of like, oh my god, life is so short sometimes, like sometimes you just like literally die when you're like in your fifties.
Speaker 3: So I might not have enough time.
Speaker 2: To marry a man and then get.
Speaker 1: To have something wait for him to die. What if he's healthy, Like oh god, right, exactly, fucking up everything.
Speaker 3: I don't have time to poison a.
Speaker 1: Man slowly over decades, right, Uh.
Speaker 3: So yeah, my dad did it.
Speaker 2: He passed away, and it was like it was very horrible and and hard. But at the same time, I think like when you go through something that really shifts your entire life that you weren't expecting, it feels easier to make.
Speaker 3: Other shifts. It just feels like like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: You know, like like I just went through something that feels like the hardest thing to go through, so I should just state women like that's not going to be hard and scary.
Speaker 3: I already did something that's hard and scary.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I ended up coming out to my brother.
Speaker 3: On his first sober birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh that's beautful. There's some kind I don't know why, but that feels like a nice like pople an emotional Yeah, was he the first person you came out to? Yeah, that I just.
Speaker 2: Told it in a way that felt like he was the first person that I told that I knew that I was telling, you know, like because I was dropped little nuggets.
Speaker 3: But he was the first person that I told.
Speaker 2: Where I was like choice, I don't and how I said it was I want to go on a date, but not with a man.
Speaker 3: And then I started crying, crying, crying, crying, crying, and.
Speaker 2: I was like shaking, and he was like, oh my god, I go on a date with a woman.
Speaker 3: He was sort of just like absolutely, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I love that is so sweet. This is about how old or in the realm are we I was in a very weird way, how old were you?
Speaker 3: How old are we? So?
Speaker 1: I remember exactly.
Speaker 3: At twenty four?
Speaker 1: So early. Okay, so you've been in LA a couple Did you go straight to LA after? Yeah, so you're for okay, so you're in LA a couple of years.
Speaker 3: I had been in LA.
Speaker 2: My brother also had moved to LA. My dad passed away, Like yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Had a big change. Okay, so yeah that's still pretty that's like pretty early. I feel like I felt like.
Speaker 3: I was so old.
Speaker 1: I know everyone just everyone stupid now like looking around like, yeah, baby, yeah, I think it's twenty absolutely a baby, you missed the cutoff. I don't know, I think I honestly, I don't think anything I have after doing this podcast for so long, and also I facilitate groups for the LLGBT Center, and like I really the whole like late in life thing. I think, like I, if you're over sixty, like I'll give it to you. But other than that, I just see I've heard like so many stories that yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Different versions of yourself too. Yeah, And so I was like, and so that's why I think sometimes I'm like I'm not I wouldn't say like I'm a lesbian because there's been so many versions of me that are me, you know, and so I did like the gayest thing which has come out, and then immediately meet somebody.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah truly, just like a few weeks later, get into my first queer relationship and then get engaged to that person.
Speaker 1: No, wow, look at you. You were making up for lost time.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: We didn't get engaged like super quickly, though, I will say, like.
Speaker 3: I waited almost a year okay to move in together. Well, no, we to move in together.
Speaker 2: We waited like almost a year, and then we got engaged like three years in.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, this is actually still feeling very This feels like, you know, I'm gonna draw parallel. This feels like how I said, like you did Edinburgh in like a really responsible way. This feels like a responsible way to like do. Like, yes, okay, it's very quickly after you first came out you get into a committed relationship. That's sort of like that goes with the terror. But the fact that like you didn't you didn't you haul you didn't immediately get engaged like this feels this still feels like very responsible and like mature and thoughtful so I think I think you can give.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not engaged anymore, and I'm also well married, so okay, yes.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it sounds like there was a journey, but at least you can't you can't say that it was because you did anything rash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that they would say that I did things that were rash.
Speaker 3: That I had been our relationship. But you know, it depends on who you ask.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I will say a lot of people, again, having done this podcast and facilitated the we have a women's coming out workshop, it is incredibly common for many people to I try not to use my Hi, Nicole, I love you hated the term end up with, and so I've tried to remove that from my vocabulary. But I do know so many people who have ended up partnered with the very first women, who have previously dated men who have ended up with the oh I did it, who have been partnered with whether it's married or like, like, we're in this for the long haul, but we're not getting married with the very first woman they ever date. I think this is a pretty common thing. So I think everything you're saying sounds very familiar, and I'm yeah, I'm really interested in hearing what you think she would have called rash whereas I'm like that timeline sounds amazing to me, like you've read a year before moving in, and I'm like it, But but I guess and I work out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, my ex fiance now uses they them pronounce.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, thank you got it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, which is always like sort of fun and I have a lot of jokes about it in my stand up, which we were in touch when I wrote, and so they are they're all above board jokes, okay, uh, but it's sort of fun now to be like, you know, like before maybe like we're not going to ship talk, but before like shit talking being like and just by the way, don't get their pronouns wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I would be really respectful of their gender, but everything else.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and I just like take a huge dump on them.
Speaker 1: That's also a queer culture.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, yeah, yeah, like we're respecting pronouns, but we are shiit talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We we ultimately just like didn't work and sure, and I think there was like a lot of reasons.
Speaker 3: Why, but it was tough. We were together for five years.
Speaker 1: And being the first relationship that was not with assessman. I'm sure that was like so added you got yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were together.
Speaker 2: We were together for four years, I guess, and then we did like a very fun sort of.
Speaker 3: Are we going to get back together for like a year.
Speaker 1: And that was I've done that.
Speaker 3: It Also they were in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, they got into a relationship pretty quickly. And the the real like te around that is that like I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, okay, so you were other women, but you didn't know that's what was going on.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of like sort of stuff. There was just a lot.
Speaker 2: But but also like everyone like, there was also a lot of like.
Speaker 3: Them breaking up or you know, like I don't really like message. It was just it was all problem.
Speaker 1: It was not fun. And again you're going through all of this stuff for the first time, like and didn't even have God, you had next to no time being This is another thing I talked about so much in the was Coming Out workshop because it's like that thing where your queerness is so rooted in the person you're with because you didn't have time to be a single queer person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was and it was so tied to them and so much as like my identity and like how I saw myself because also I did like I did like the rest.
Speaker 3: Of my twenties with this person.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, you know, or like of statically it was okay, that is tough. Yeah, that's really tough.
Speaker 2: But I will say I moved out of la for the beginning of that breakup, and I think that it should be illegal to live in the same city as your ex when you're going through a breakup.
Speaker 1: Could not agree more. That fucking sucked for me with my first breakup and then my second, like really heart breakup. She still lives in Amsterdam because we met when I was working and we're good now, but for like a decade we were not. And living on different continents was the best thing. I cannot recommend it enough if you're going through heartbreak, being a fully different time zone, different continent, like your day is there night, it's fucking great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, I also I also think it's super helpful. But then I got to be single.
Speaker 1: You know, where did you move to? Where were you having your single queer experience?
Speaker 2: So I was in New York.
Speaker 3: I moved to Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's a great that's a great place to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't do a ton of I was like there like doing comedy and sort of like messing around that way and like just really losing my mind.
Speaker 3: It was just like such a hard time.
Speaker 2: And and I wasn't doing a ton of dating, but I was technically single. And then I did more dating when I moved back to La okay, and that's where I and then and then I met my ex school friend and sort of I was like and then I'm dating and then like we got.
Speaker 3: Into a serious relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really happens. It really happens. That is that is not your fault. That is just like the ancestors or whatever. It's in the DNA. But so that was the former Loyola. Yes, okay, okay, okay, So we have we have first really really tough breakup. We go to Brooklyn. I'm saying we like I'm on your show. Yes we are Brooklyn Comedy. Not that much dating, but Brooklyn, like a great queer said I would I hope, like did you feel like totally like.
Speaker 2: And sort of like beautiful, yeah, and sort of like trying to find myself and being great.
Speaker 1: I love that you did that without actively dating a ton. Honestly, I do. I feel like that's I feel like that's a great thing to do to just like be in immersed in queer culture but not like queer dating for a little while. That's really cool that you did that.
Speaker 2: Whether it was intending, I don't think I was ready and it was definitely intentional. I was just like, I can't imagine, like the thought of going on a date and made you want to throw up. So I was like, I'm just not going to And then I went on like a few dates and yeah, I moved back to and went on a few dates here and then.
Speaker 3: And then started.
Speaker 2: Dating somebody, uh for like a year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and did I'm so curious? Did is still she her? For?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my ex girlfriend? Is she her? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay? Did she remember you and have any anything to say about that time you met at college?
Speaker 3: Was She's like okay, so no, she can't place me at that party? And I was like, you watched the Disney that is not I'm like I know. I was like, we watched a Disney movie together and she goes, you were there.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, oh, a white lie doesn't hurt like good god, because.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my god, I remember you. You're so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, all right, I respect her, honest. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she couldn't place me there and okay, okay, that's that's fine, and you remember her.
Speaker 1: But you don't think there was and there was no like awareness, There was no part of you that was like, oh she's pretty, okay, wow, YouTube were ships in the night.
Speaker 2: We were sort of we were sort of around each other too in LA because we were both in a writing group that that met like once a week and I would go every week and she sort of would come in and out and and she does she is like, I did notice you there, like I thought you were getting pretty.
Speaker 3: And but at that point I was just coming out and then immediately partnered.
Speaker 1: So there was no okay, gotcha, gotcha? Gotcha? Wow? Okay, oh my goodness. All right. And so I would really love to know when, because I want to talk about the videos you do with your mom, because your mom seemed so cool. When did you come out to her, because you you chose to come out to your brother first, because I guess you guys were so close. Was there any trepidation about coming out to your mom, or was it, Yeah, well, there was, there was.
Speaker 2: I was a little nervous because I had a really bad relationship with a guy and she knew about it.
Speaker 3: And I think she was very worried for my choices. And it wasn't really.
Speaker 2: About like like whether I was like gay or straight or any of that.
Speaker 3: It was like she was.
Speaker 2: Very nervous about my dating choices. And I didn't come out to her until I had been dating.
Speaker 3: My I was with I was with my ex. Okay, so I came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I came out to my mom just like on this like phone call, and it didn't go well. It was like I sort of said it like in like a way that was like, well, I'm dating somebody and and it's not.
Speaker 3: Because because she was so worried, Like she was like, I just need you to like not be dating anyone. She was like saying that, and I was like, well, I am dating somebody, but it's not a man.
Speaker 2: And I think she was just like, Okay, I don't know what to do with that.
Speaker 1: You know, like.
Speaker 2: She still felt the same way. She still was like I just don't want you to be dating somebody, and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, but I don't want to be dating anyone, Like yeah, that's but then.
Speaker 2: There's sort of like a lot of like tragedy sprinkled throughout my journey. Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, welcome to being.
Speaker 1: Alive, but welcome to comedian.
Speaker 2: Also yeah, yeah, my uncle uh was in a coma. Uh and he passed away, but he was and it was sort of like all of a sudden, Okay, so uh, you know, uncle Joe is in a coma in uh in.
Speaker 3: Near the Bay Area.
Speaker 2: You're in LA, like there was we were worried for my cousin who was a lot is a lot older but had like some addiction issues, and we were worried for for him. And so it was sort of like, come now to the Bay Area. So I'm like, I'm dating my ex fiance at this point, I uh, I leased a car because I didn't have a car, and I drove to meet my mom to figure out all of this shit. And you know, we were good at like sort of getting people's affairs in order because we had done that with my dad. So you have to like break into like people's accounts essentially.
Speaker 3: So you have to like know how to do that, which I don't know how to do.
Speaker 1: If that anyone's listening.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so we were dealing with all of that stuff. And then my my.
Speaker 2: Ex was like, knew that I was going through it, knew that this was like a really horrible time. And uh, they were like, do you want me to fly to the Bay Area and then I'll drive your car back?
Speaker 3: And I was like, yes, I want you to do that. And at this point we had not been dating for very long, but wow, but they did that.
Speaker 2: They met my mom for the first time doing that, being that like big thing for her daughter, and I think that really turned around like the the vibe of like I don't want you to be dating. It was sort of like this person is so kind and will take care of my daughter and and so then it was like, Okay, smooth sailing, We're not worried about Catherine's choices.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's really nice. Yeah, really nice.
Speaker 3: And my mom's a huge ally. She like has rainbow stuff all over She's like constantly yeah.
Speaker 1: And you so this particular video did I watch. I don't know how many have done with her, but you were playing a game I believe called finger you haul ghost or I'm pretty sure I got that.
Speaker 5: Ye have you just like always been able to talk to your mob about stuff like fingering or did that come with I'm like, how are you?
Speaker 1: How can you move from this not awesome initial phone call to like being able.
Speaker 2: To well again, it was like always it wasn't like it wasn't about like who I was having sex with.
Speaker 3: It was always just sort of about like.
Speaker 1: It wasn't still it was the choice of this yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the choice of where I was putting the finger and who the person was.
Speaker 2: But but talking about sex was not It just like wasn't like frowned upon. But it also wasn't like done a lot in my family. But I have a my mom's just awesome, and I just like she's just like great and that is just a game that I play in pretty gay uh in the show. And so I was like, Okay, maybe this will be fun to do with my mom. And then I was like, oh god, because like you're listening to your mom like, yeah, so I would a finger Robert Redford, I would you know, You're like.
Speaker 1: Good God, wait, yeah, yeah, it's a two way street. If you're gonna talk to your mom, I figure she's gonna talk to you about finger. God, that's so beautiful. I really I love that journey for the two of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we were just like laughing so much about it. Yeah, and it was just like we just have so much fun together, and so it was sort of like, well, of course I'm gonna play this finger you haul goes game with my mother?
Speaker 1: Oh god? And so yeah, so we're talking about pretty gay. I'd love to talk to you about, like, yeah, how did you start doing that show? Uh, just like the Genesis all that, And I would really love to hear about the choice and then how it went shooting with an ex the Was this the first time you had had an X on? Is this this upcoming season? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay awesome because I don't have a ton of access, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Sam, Yeah, I hear no. Yeah, the clips I've seen are so funny, and that definitely stood out in the trailer. I was like, oh, that's a good subscribe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and right now her episode is sort of like slotted to be one of the later ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's still yeah.
Speaker 3: I'll say that. Like when I was doing it, I was like, oh, man.
Speaker 2: Like this is probably going to be hard to like edit, and I don't do the head any but like to do like to be watching and like doing the clips and all that jazz. Sure, sure, but she's really funny and she's gay, and so I was like, yeah, absolutely be on the show.
Speaker 1: But can you, like, for people who aren't familiar with it, can you describe like the like then the elevator pitch for a pretty gig? No?
Speaker 2: Totally, Yeah, So Pretty Gay is it's a digital uh dating series essentially where I go on mock dates with queer comedians and creators and uh, we have segments it's like an interview where we're playing like improv games.
Speaker 3: Or you know what. Every date needs an improv game.
Speaker 1: Some of them could be honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we're just sort of like I talk about like they're coming out, We talk about like their queer awakening, and then we sort of dive into we dive into segments that feel like.
Speaker 3: Date adjacent, you know, like it'll.
Speaker 2: Be like, Okay, so we're in the car, it's the end of the date and you want to make a move. How do you make that move go? And then like and then we like act that out and be like.
Speaker 1: Wow, you do you do an act out? As we would call it okay, Wow, that's great. Okay, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, so we've been dating for you know, years, and now you want to propose to me.
Speaker 1: Go wow, So I mean I have to ask, have you ever ended up dating somebody who you had on the show? Did it ever lead to like.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I I mean I did reconnect with that X from having her like on the show.
Speaker 3: So so it's.
Speaker 1: Never like, oh my god, we're pretending, but it feels so right.
Speaker 2: And then you like there's definitely like a little flirting, and that feels like sometimes I will I will say like, as the host, I'm sort of like, oh my god, are we in love?
Speaker 1: And fucking great? God bless you for calling it out?
Speaker 2: Love that, and and it does like sometimes feel very real and yeah, and then I'm like confused afterwards. But a lot of there are like I won't say a lot, but there's a handful of guests who like are already partnered.
Speaker 3: And they like totally you know, and so I'll.
Speaker 2: Be like, wait, were we flirting or are you just sort of a really good guest?
Speaker 1: I okay, I might cut this chunk because it might just be like a lot about Lauren and this is not a podcast for hearing about me, but I did for many years, like on and off, but for a number of years in immersive one person show that was called Red Flags. Did it the Hollywood Fringe Festival a bunch, and then like did it on a little tour in Denver, and so the conceit was, and it was written and directed by a friend of mine who does like a lot of immersive theater work. Although it was the idea for it came out of my dating experiences as a single person, because she was married and I would like text her about these like shitty days that she'd be like, this is great. Ended up making a show about it. And the conceit was, you are going on a first date with a girl, Emma, who you know you met online. This is your first date. It's going to go badly, and it's called Red Flags, so they know. And then my character proceeds to be a hot mess. There's obviously a shit ton of improv because there's no audience. It's me and one audience member who was also in the show with me. They were done. The shows were like in bars or like in parks or wherever, so it was like a real date and there was a script, but again a ton of improva and they're doing this show like countless times with both men and women, Like there were a couple where I was like, I think we actually fell in love, and then my director writer would be like, they are married and took their wedding ring off to go on the show, and I'd be like cool, cool, cool, like, but they were like when I first started doing the show, I was so concerned for the audience member. I was like, I don't want to manipulate them or like make them a friend. And then over the course of doing the show, I realized I was.
Speaker 3: The one actually if you were getting I have this authentic experience.
Speaker 1: And then find out that they I once did a couple back to back and didn't know until my producer told me. She's like, no, no, no, no, no, they were married. Did you You're seven and you're nine o'clock were married. And I was like, fuck, oh my, so I feel you. I feel you on that like, oh this feels like really real, and I'm like, oh no, no, no, no. They were just like they just are a big theater appreciator, like they were really locked in with me.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, that's like messy, and you're also like, well, like you were saying, you were playing a character, but I am. I'm both myself, but I'm also this like host character like I have.
Speaker 1: To Yes, You're like, my job is to.
Speaker 3: Actually fall in love with all these people.
Speaker 1: That is.
Speaker 2: So so then when you're like, wait are we Like there's one guest who totally took me off guard.
Speaker 3: And said, well, how do we stay in touch? And I was like wait what because it was.
Speaker 2: The cameras were rolling and I'm like is this are you actually asking or are you sort of like doing a great bit because it was also a great bit.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so yeah, yeah, I love I meet so few people who can understand that experience and you like a hundred percent get it.
Speaker 2: I love yes, and you're yeah and so like it is fun though. It's so fun to like then be able to like relive going on these like fantastic dates through like releasing clips and things like that, and it's like it it is sort of like, uh, I feel like I've tricked everyone into like letting me do something that's literally so fun and like oh you get.
Speaker 3: To like laugh and laugh and laugh and meet like cool.
Speaker 2: Queer creators like, yeah, it's it's been a dream to be able to do.
Speaker 3: And and I have.
Speaker 2: I have yet to fall in love and actually date any of my.
Speaker 1: And same with me on this podcast. It's like six years and I I feel I feel like I failed. I mean, yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 5: I've been I've been doing it three times longer than you and have yet.
Speaker 1: To get a serious relationship out of it. So I wish you better luck than I have had not the bounce wnicle when I started the podcast, but it was it was sort of a secret for both of us. We were both like, one of these is how I'm gonna She's already like married, and like she's like, what if this is how you get a girlfriend?
Speaker 2: But this is not how it went down but truly, and then you just end up like being like, oh no, I'm just like sort of creating this like great world and.
Speaker 1: I made a resource that's the Trevor Project listed and their resources, but I didn't cool friend.
Speaker 3: So like, but I didn't get a girlfriend, So I failed.
Speaker 1: Familiar Yeah, but I fucking all the clips I've seen are so funny and just like so engaging, and I'm so yeah, I'm excited to watch also for these moments where I'm gonna be like, is she like really feeling so good?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 2: I know, Well it's interesting because it'll be interesting to like sort of watch back my access episode because like I mean, if I'm being totally transparent, like I was still in love with her, like yeah, sort of still am sort of just you know, that's sort of my vibe.
Speaker 1: My vibe is like, like I love long Ago so much. How long Ago breakup?
Speaker 2: Well, it's like one of those things that's like like on again.
Speaker 3: It has been. It has been a little bit of a seesaw but gotcha. But I'm the I'm the one who like ended it because.
Speaker 2: Because I actually have terrible work life balance and and you know, I was like going to Edinburgh and I just like, I'm sure if I was talking to a therapist who looked at my entire life, they would be like, and you have major commitment issues.
Speaker 1: Well, fortunately I have no qualification, so I am at all.
Speaker 2: No, You're perfect and everybody never change. Yeah, so I guess technically it's been like a few months since we Oh.
Speaker 1: God, that's so yeah, that's so wow. So yeah, I mean, having really cool that you had her on.
Speaker 6: I love people who are like this might be hard emotionally, but it'll be so funny. Like that's so like people who place the importance of the bit over their own emotional safety. Like that is how I roll one hundred percent, and I respect.
Speaker 1: It for content always always always always, Yeah I once, yeah, we died. My way through a breakup would just be like, oh, credit Trader Joe's again.
Speaker 2: Like I love that, Yes, you got That's sometimes what you need, and like, yeah, comedy's healing, and you know she's a comedian also, and uh and so she was like so down, you know, she was like, yeah, of course let's do this.
Speaker 1: I love that. Okay, So how can people watch season two of Pretty Gay, which is currently releasing episodes at the time that you're listening to this, or it'll be a few out, but it'll still be pretty early in the season. So yeah, and please let folks know how they can follow you and also watch your stand up and just all the plug all these things.
Speaker 2: Okay, so plugging all the things. You can watch Pretty Gay on Patreon. So it's like they patreon dot com slash pretty gay, uh, and you it is.
Speaker 3: Behind a paywall, so you have to subscribe.
Speaker 2: There is a h seven day free trial though, so you know you can. You can do that and then try to cram in as much content and then decide whether or not you want to, you know, sort of give me five dollars a month.
Speaker 3: I would say it's worth it.
Speaker 1: I think that's a fair trade. Yeah, based on behind the scenes we've heard, I feel like that's well worth it.
Speaker 2: And then if you follow me online, that's where I post clips, and we we make a lot of clips at the show. So if you're sort of hard up on cash and you just want to watch the clips, please do that and just follow me at Catherine Underscore MCAF and that is on Instagram and on TikTok and then there we do also post YouTube shorts and that would also be on pretty gay YouTube channel fantastic.
Speaker 1: And I assume that following you is how folks can find out about like your stand up days.
Speaker 2: Stand up my Yeah, I'm gonna try to tour my solo show.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, So I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To book dates for that, and uh, if you just follow me online, I'll tell you where I am and then you can come all.
Speaker 1: Right, And Catherine before we like fully wrap up. Is there anything we didn't get to that that you want to say or like any like yeah, anything that we didn't hit that you're like, I wish I wish I could say, Oh gosh, no.
Speaker 3: I don't think so that was like perfect. I'm actually like sort of going through the rollodecks being like, did I say anything weird?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I yeah, I don't think that we missed anything other than just like I will say that I have this moment a lot where I just am sort of like walking around and then it hits me, like how cool it is to be gay.
Speaker 3: I don't think that.
Speaker 2: I used to feel like that, like or I just didn't. I just didn't like fully like embrace all of myself and until like later, I think until like I got out of until my engagement like ended, and I got to sort of be like in the world and just be gay and be like, wait a second, this is cool. Like people are gonna say, like it's harder, but it's just like it's just so cool. And I'm so lucky because I live in Los Angeles where like people aren't you know, trying to murder me. And I'm also so lucky because I'm a CIS woman and uh and so like I think, yeah, I think I know how lucky I am, and I think.
Speaker 3: We all.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm happy that like I'm on this journey and I'm on this boat with like all my queer and like with all my like queer friends that I don't even know yet, you know, So, like I just think it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Ah, that is a perfect I'm so glad I asked because that is that is a perfect thing to end on y'all. You know you know how to follow me. I am at Laurene Flowns on Twitter. Yeah, I'm still on it. That's my addiction. I'm Lauren Underscore Flanns on Instagram. The podcast is at Coming Out pod everywhere. Hey, you know what's fun leaving reviews or clicking five stars out of a choice of five stars. You can do that on iTunes. You can do that on Spotify. What else do I say? At these wrap ups? It's been a while. I feel like I feel like I hit the important things. So one more episode coming at you later in the month. Catherine, Thank you so much. This was so goddamn fun. You are so fun. I'm excited to watch Pretty Gay and just yeah, this was really awesome. Thank you for coming O.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, I will talk to you next time I talk to you. Bye.