Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: All right, this is it the big debate. It happens literally in twenty four minutes from now. Mo Kelly will start with you. What do you expect to lie, Bob Well, I expect to fire works. As two people are no to be serious.
Speaker 3: I expect different things from the different candidates. I think they have different goals they want to achieve. I think former President Trump wants to knock the vice president off her game, distract her, have it be about him, have it be about negative banter back and forth, and if he's successful, then he would make her look as if she's not ready for prime time, unintended, and make her seem to any undecided voter that she's not ready to be president.
Speaker 4: That's his goal, her goal.
Speaker 3: I think she's going to be speaking to the main camera, looking at America and say, look, I'm not going to be caught up in that. I am the person who is best suited for the job. Look at him, you know, see what he look at his antics, and see that I'm about serious business.
Speaker 4: Here's my policy.
Speaker 2: Why Mark, why do you think that there was a big fight about turning the mics on or keeping them off or what was that all about?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 5: Well, the Trump people wanted to maintain this mute system that was agreed upon by the Biden camp and the Trump camp, And it may be that the Harris people felt that she could at least opportunistically jump in to kind of check him on a fact, at least have that option open.
Speaker 4: It also might have been a psychological.
Speaker 5: Thing, like to know that she can jump in might have been something that would throw him off his beam. That said, I think a little too much is being made of that, but that would be my suspicion because they gave on it anyway. So it continues to be a mute at Mike situation.
Speaker 4: As you know.
Speaker 5: The one thing I would say that Trump will do, and he can probably do it to some success tonight, is to attach Harris to the border policy and the problems at the border. Now she can parry back that he chaoed legislation that would have taken care of that border situation. But I really feel as though they this is based on their attack ads, which have been I think very effective. The Trump attack ads on Harris have been really effective. I think that he's going to make some political hay of that tonight, and I'd be surprised if he didn't.
Speaker 2: You know, all of the the video that is accusing Kamala Harris of flip flopping, it all comes from one CNN interview in twenty nineteen, all of it, All of that video when you see you know, she's against fracking, she's against you know, she she wants a strong you know, not open border, but a little more relaxed. And then there was a third one there about the economy. But it all comes back to that one interview. And if it wasn't for that one interview, none of that video would exist, or at least they would have to, you know, certainly look for it.
Speaker 5: I mean, the flip flopping thing, I think she will handle, don't you agree, mo? I mean I think by now she is loaded with responses on that that. You know, Look, time has passed. I've considered a number of facts that really weren't in evidence at the time, and I've yeah, I've modified my positions. It would be nice if the former president were able to do that as well.
Speaker 3: I think to agree, yes, I would agree, but also in a more conventional time, it would have been more important. This is not going to be a policy Leyden discussion tonight. This is going to be filled with insults and Harry's good. Now, what is going to be the advantage for former President Trump is Kamala Harris will have to defend herself as a candidate and will also have to defend the record of the Biden administration where she is vice president, didn't drive the bus, but still was on the bus us and has to account for the good and the bad of Biden policy.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm surprised that you know her positioning her position on fracking.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not.
Speaker 2: A far left wing liberal, but I don't even like fracking, and I think she may have been onto something to say she was against it.
Speaker 4: I think most of the people in this country are against fracking.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I don't think most people in this country are into nuance and discussing that debate. I don't think most people know that we're producing more oil energy than ever before, and if you don't include that into that the discussion about fracking, that you don't have the real context to properly assess what she meant by that.
Speaker 4: I also think that most people in this country.
Speaker 5: Don't live in Pennsylvania where tracking is actually a big part of that economy.
Speaker 4: That's why she flipped, right, But to flip for one state.
Speaker 5: Well, she needs that state, I mean, she absolutely needs that state.
Speaker 4: All right, we are going to take a small break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back and then the debate it starts, The actual ABC News presidential debate starts. We're gonna simulcast right here on KFI AM six forty. It starts at six pm. And then if we have any more information on these three fires at the burning we got the line fire up in San Borentino, the airport fire and Tribuco Canyon and the surrounding area, and then the bridge fire just off the two ten freeway, just a little bit northeast of Claremont. We'll have any more updates on acreage and containment for you right here on KFI AM six forty. And don't forget major lottery pick tonight. That could be worth I think eight hundred million dollars. Wow, wouldn't that be nice to win it? And then if we did, we would all be on an awesome vacation. We could rent out an entire cruise ship and just be the only passengers.
Speaker 4: Relyve on CAFI.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We're doing the news presidential debate simulcast right here on kf I AM six forty. All right, let me ask Mo Kelly and Mark Thompson. Somebody emailed us here with the question for the two fellas, if there was a full primary this year, do you think the nominee would be Kamala Harris Well Kelly?
Speaker 3: Possibly, not definitely, but the full primary doesn't really make any difference.
Speaker 4: People sometimes forget that the primary is not required.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of parties like the Green Party, Libertarian Party. They go to a hotel, have an orgy, come out, here's our nominee, Jill Stein. You know that's a better convention, But I'm saying many times it's just a weekend get together. And we didn't have full primaries of all fifty states until the nineteen seventies, so people sometimes forget that they're not necessary.
Speaker 4: Mark Thompson tell me something I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that is a strong man argument, the idea somehow that the primary didn't yield this candidate, somehow she weaker because she wasn't tested by the primaries. I mean, she would still have gone into any kind of the primary.
Speaker 4: As the vice president.
Speaker 5: She probably would have had a lot of half from the Democratic Party behind her.
Speaker 4: Wrong, Patti Pipe.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're gonna see the debate starts night at six o'clock. There's some weird rules about this debate. You can't bring any notes with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they'll let you bring with you a pad and a writing implement, so in other words, they'll be taking notes, but they're not allowed to bring notes, right.
Speaker 2: And there's also I think I read somewhere where both both podiums have to be the same, you know, like she can't be on a riser, right.
Speaker 4: That's exactly.
Speaker 5: And the visual mo I thought was really really weak when she sat down to an interview with Walls, and on the CNN interview she looked tiny because of the camera angle. And I'm not saying that, you know, I don't know how man people noticed it, but on the three shot it was really claring.
Speaker 3: Well, this is an interesting point if you're a student of history. And I know Mark you know this, and Tim you know this, But the visuals matter. Going back to Nixon, and Kennedy and how Nixon was sweating during the televised portion debate. But if you listen to the debate on the radio, you thought that Nixon won, but televivision made it look like he lost because he looked flustered and overheating.
Speaker 4: So the visuals do matter. And the debate is literally in.
Speaker 2: You know, it'll start around in ten minutes from now, and it's just moments away, the presidential debate around fifteen, around ten minutes or so away. Both candidates have arrived in Philadelphia. Their campaign surrogates are already on the ground providing spin already, and the spin room afterwards.
Speaker 5: You saw who's a providing spin, didn't you, Tim, No, it's among I think Newsham is one person providing spin. But on the GOP side, RFK Junior is providing. He's a big trumpet.
Speaker 2: Now do you know, did you see there's a fundraiser going on in California for Donald Trump and they're gonna raise you know, a couple million.
Speaker 4: Dollars or so.
Speaker 2: And you know who's the head of the head of that fundraiser. It's it's Gavin Newsom's wife's family.
Speaker 4: I know, that's crazy. They're big Republicans. Yeah, yeah, that's got to irritate him, that really does.
Speaker 5: I mean, and they're going for big money in Woodside, which is just south of San Francisco. It's like where all these streets are paved with gold type thing. They're gonna they'll get sacks of money out of that place.
Speaker 4: That is so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right, the the weird association to the Newsom family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is odd.
Speaker 2: And you would think that, you know, because of you know, how how close the you know, what a powerful figure he is in the Democratic Party, that maybe the wife would lay off.
Speaker 4: But it's the wife's relative, right.
Speaker 2: The wife's right, the wife's relative, but she might be able to say, hey, look I married to the governor.
Speaker 4: Would you mind chilling out? That's you know, that's right. All right. So it's gonna be a ninety minute debate.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be two breaks, and ABC, thank god, is allowing all the television networks to simulcast the debate, so you see it on you know, any number of TV stations, but you'll only hear it here on KFI. We're not gonna run anything else tonight between six and seven thirty. Other than that debate, and so you're gonna be here it right here on k on KFI and then Moe Kelly will be around. I will be home by then, and uh with with the wrap up.
Speaker 5: And I'm just thinking about the amount of time that Trump was coached in prior debates, you know, when he went up against Biden and Clinton, and well, yeah, and I and I just think about how he was. Chris Christie popped up on the screen for a second. I thought, you know, Chris Christie coached him in that debate. Again, Remember he was the Chris You got to get up in his grill, you got to like it, you got to talk right over him.
Speaker 4: You got it.
Speaker 5: Because he's a he's got problems with the way he speaks, and it'll throw him off his game. And I don't know that that was the most successful. So I'm wondering what advice Donald Trump is getting right now.
Speaker 4: I have a feeling.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't know him, never met him, but I have a feeling he ignores a lot of advice, a lot of advice.
Speaker 4: Thrown his way and he's like, screw it, I'll do it my way.
Speaker 2: But closing statements was a coin toss, and it was held virtually on September third, with the candidate who won the coin toss allowed to choose the order of closing statements or podium placement. Trump won the coin toss and chose to select the other the order of statements. So the former president chose to offer the last closing statement, which is what you want, yes, and then the podium placement then would have been Kamala Harris's decision. And so after the coin toss, Harris was allowed to choose the podium placement. So when you see her tonight, she chose that side.
Speaker 5: Right, I mean, I think again, of less significance, the closing statement is a real big win.
Speaker 4: You want to be the last You always want to be the last word.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are gonna ski daddle, but I know Moe Kelly is going to be sitting here. We'll I'll be sitting here until seven and then you know, in case there's a big earthquake or anything that goes on, but it'll be from six to seven thirty will be the debate. It's the ABC Presidential Debate, simcast right here on KFIM six forty and then a wrap up at seven thirty, including your whole your whole crew thing do wrong with you?
Speaker 4: All right? Very good.
Speaker 2: We are moments away from this big, huge ass debate. This is going to be wild tonight. I think there are going to be more people that watch this debate than the Biden debate, the Biden drum debate. Absolutely agree, and that there was fifty million people who saw that debate. Yeah, I mean those are you know, approaching you know, half of Super Bowl numbers. So I think tonight will be even bigger. All right, and then there's only going to be two breaks during this bait and uh and and so.
Speaker 4: We mostly chit chat.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see, and it's happening in moments, moments from now. And I know, if you're big into politics, you're very nervous. If you're a Trump lover, you're a Maga guy, you're very nervous. If you love Kamala Harris, you're very nervous for her. But I think most people, they say thirty percent of the people watching tonight will decide who to vote for based on the performance tonight, which is utterly insane, but all right, yeah, have but thirty percent, that's a significant number.
Speaker 5: No, I think it's that's a Probably that's amazing to me. That's isn't it amazing to you? Mo that thirty percent of the people still haven't decided to the point that they're going to go off of what they see tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just don't believe them. I'm mine. I think right well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people ignore politics. You know, we we don't hear a KFI. But if you go into you know, a lot of states in the South or in the Midwest, they don't, you know, they're they're living their lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's more that they've made their decision and maybe thirty percent of peace people are open to being that might be persuaded.
Speaker 4: Possibly that might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, we're gonna get out of here. The debate happening shortly right here. It's the ABC News presidential debate simulcast here on kf I A M. Six forty Mark, nice to see you. You're gonna walk, You're gonna talk this up right, it's.
Speaker 4: Going to go, Oh yeah, I'm not doing.
Speaker 2: Anything, has nothing to play.
Speaker 3: I would like to say that this is KFI and KOs T h D two Los Angeles and Orange County.
Speaker 2: Okay, excellent, Okay, No, we will, I definitely will talk this up right up to the you know, to the top of the hour when the debate starts. But ABC, you know, ABC is paying for all of this, and so you know, we obviously have to give them credit when we say the ABC News presidential debate simulcast right here on kf I AM six forty. But Mark Thompson noticed we were watching CNN earlier and CNN was calling it the CNN debate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they said that, They said the debate on CNN.
Speaker 4: Is the way they put yeah, right on CNN. Yeah, but there was no reference to ABC anywhere.
Speaker 5: And as I'm watching NBC, they're kind of doing the same thing Canada's face off in first debate NBC News. You see the NBC News logo. There is no ABC News logo anywhere. Now, when they get to the actual debate, it will be you know, the whole place is going to be festooned with ABC News stuff.
Speaker 2: And you know who else is not putting ABC News debate on their channel?
Speaker 4: ABC? You think they would throw it up.
Speaker 2: But why do you think moment, let me ask you, and then maybe Mark and Chiman as well.
Speaker 4: Why you know, back in the old days.
Speaker 2: And I'm talking even like four years ago, there was a crowd in for the debate, and that made it, at least for me, more interesting than the reaction of the crowd.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think this actually works against former President Trump because I think he gets energy from the crowd and how people may respond, even if it's a jeer or a boot, he feels and feeds off them. It helps Kamala Harris in this instance.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he really play to the room. I mean, that's what Trump does. He'll even change his positions on major policy based on the room. He'll really modify a lot of what he says to get the room. And so not having the room or having the room empty, Yeah, it's a net loss for Trump that way.
Speaker 2: If this debate does not go well for Kamala Harris or does not go well for Donald Trump, you think there'll be a second or a third before the election.
Speaker 4: I doubt it. It's such a short time, don't you think, Mom, It's so comported. Look, we're halfway through September fall.
Speaker 3: Intents and purposes, they had to do a lot of wrangling just to get him in for this one debate. I don't think regardless of the outcome, there won't be a second debate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't think so. Now, how about this.
Speaker 2: If Kamala Harris doesn't do well tonight, Let's say she, you know, passes out halfway through it, do you think they replace her on the ticket?
Speaker 4: I think that ship has sailed, you know, debate.
Speaker 2: All right, the debate is going to start momentarily and we're going to have it live here. ABC is running it, and again ABC deserves a lot of credit. They're paying the cameramen, they're paying the electric, they paid for the set. They flew all their people down there to broadcast this thing. And CNN got pissed off last time because CNN ratings weren't as high as Fox on that last debate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty