Speaker 1: Have you ever been in a situation where the hair on the back of your neck stands up for no apparent reason. You should be safe, but something doesn't feel quite right. Ignoring your gut feeling, you shake it off, only to regret it later because before you know it, it's too late and you're gone without a trace.
Speaker 2: Good morning the following podcast and grab content manial audience listener, just ustion? Is that us? Welcome back. I'm Nicole and I'm Ben, and you're listening to Wicked and Graham.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: And I have whiskey today, so you don't get a chick.
Speaker 1: And I'm drinking water.
Speaker 2: I clinkle, clinkle, clank.
Speaker 1: We're not making any noise.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to drink clink. I'd clink the ice there. I can't think of a word. Wow, i'd clink the ice. But I have stones in there and they're just like and they don't move well, not unless I like make a lot of motion. I'm gonna spill my whiskey. You know.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we wouldn't want that, no.
Speaker 2: Because ice floats and it clinks easier where stones are just sitting on the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, yeah, I know. I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, guys. How's it going, what's new, what's shaking? What's happening? Yeah, the whole shebang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a lot going on here.
Speaker 2: We do like what, I have no idea, you have no ideas. We didn't discuss what we're going to discuss intro today.
Speaker 1: My day has literally been full of podcast research, sorry, and killing mosquitoes and many of them had blood in them. So our tiny home probably looks like a slight crime scene right now. Probably I cleaned up the blood, but you know it's still there and never actually goes away.
Speaker 2: Did you bleach it and everything? I didn't?
Speaker 1: Well, shit, and it's either my blood, Ripley's blood, Meeka's blood, or Kiwi's blood.
Speaker 2: You know, if you mysteriously go like disappear tomorrow and CSI comes into our little tiny home, I am fucked you are, because.
Speaker 1: Like there's probably at least three three to four splatters wow around Wow. Yeah, so we have a mosquito problem here. I don't know if other people have to deal with that shit, but it seriously sucks because it's like winter's gone, Oh my gosh, Like you can go outside, you can get fresh air and then like boom.
Speaker 2: Just swarms of mosquitoes.
Speaker 1: Likes really bad this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so yeah, that's that's totally fun. That's what we're dealing with. But it doesn't usually ask the whole No, it doesn't, which is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I wouldn't mind living somewhere that doesn't have mosquitoes, to be honest.
Speaker 2: That's true. Maybe one day we'll see one day we were talking about but doing some moving the other day. Though It'll be a while before that occurs because me, we got jobs, we got life, the whole thing, so it'll be down the road.
Speaker 1: But I do think one day we'll probably move, though, Yeah, one day.
Speaker 2: One day, I was going to say something. Oh right, we gave out something. Just the other day on our Patreon someone else got some suf.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we've done it two weeks in a row now.
Speaker 2: The winner of this one was Sabrina, who guess what was who guessed this case?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Because you gave him a hint for this case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought the kate. Literally every week I'm like, oh my gosh, this guest is gonna be so hard, and it's just not everyone.
Speaker 2: You guys are way too smart for us because you get these hints like instantaneously. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And it was on our Patreon, so I can like if you're not on Patreon. It was literally just a picture of a deco on the back of a truck like rear window of a lake scene with a fish jumping out of it.
Speaker 2: And it's like one of those super low qualities.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I made it real, like pick the lowest quality pick ever and yeah, and Sabrina Randall got it like within minutes again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she got some Jacko socks heading her way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool. We're out of socks now, so we're gonna have to order someone.
Speaker 2: Well, we were discussing before that we should actually do up a specific design for patron or like giveaway.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so it's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you only can get this this is our merch design by winning one of our giveaways.
Speaker 1: I love doing giveaways, so yeah, I think we should.
Speaker 2: Well, if you guys have a design request that we should do up for this giveaway specific merch, hit us up on Instagram or Facebook or Patreon wherever. Just get ahold of us somehow and we'll take take it into our account of art and figure it all out and see what we come up with.
Speaker 1: H So yeah, so who do we have for new patrons?
Speaker 2: Yes, speaking of Patreon, let's see. Let me head over here. So we have a few people who signed up this week for Patreon. We have, and I'm gonna again preface this. I am absolutely so sorry if I pronounce your name wrong, although I did have someone, Lindsay Valentine, who made sure she messaged us with proper pronunciation of her name. So thank you Lindsay on that one. She signed up for Patreon this week, along with Kristen Elise, Abby Fields, Sydney Rivas, Rivis. I don't know, that's one of those ones. That's just there's always one that gets me. H and Buck Broadhead, thank you very much for signing up for Patreon. You guys are incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: The show honestly, it keeps going because of our patrons, So thank you so much for your support.
Speaker 1: Oh, it definitely does. Yeah, it so does. I actually should Okay, I wasn't going to do this. I'm winging something. Oh but this could take a really long time.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: I was going to read our newest review?
Speaker 2: What's that? Newest review. Read it up, read it, read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have it first, so ah, well smooth, I don't have it open.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll cut this little piece out.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have it. Okay, I'm pretty fast. It doesn't take me that long.
Speaker 2: Ye, fair enough job.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's from Josie. I think it would be what her first name is, Kristen Christine.
Speaker 2: I don't know you're looking at it. Don't look at me, you tell me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going Josie Christine. And it's via Apple Podcasts. Obviously. I think that's obvious. So it says top tier, five stars. I'm very, very picky when it comes to true crime podcasts. Many times the hosts are less focus on the victim and more focus on the person that committed the crime. But not Ben and Nicole. I love that they focus and try to make it more about the victim. Yes, there is background on the criminal, but they make it more about the victim and their story. I absolutely love listening to this podcast. I never miss an episode. Also, if you haven't already joined the Patreon.
Speaker 2: Damn, thank you so much that incredible review that like shit like that makes our day on.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, I do check the reviews periodically and stuff, and yeah, when there's one like that, it just like warms my heart.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much. Seriously, anytime anytime we get messages or comments or anything like it, it means the world. So thank you so much. And yeah, we definitely do try and tell the victim side as much as we can. We do. Yeah, sometimes it's it's very hard. And sometimes there's cases that we choose where it is the story of the killer.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, the killer just like shit, they do overshadows the victim completely and it's just like, oh, but when we.
Speaker 2: Can, we definitely try and talk about the victims as much as we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, are we ready?
Speaker 2: I think we're ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so if you didn't, I dropped the hint. But if you don't know, today we're talking about the disappearance of Angelotte Marie Hammond, and I'm gonna be referring to her as Angie because that is what she went by.
Speaker 2: Awesome. I know this case slightly. It's one of those ones that's been on my radar to research, and I'm like, this is going to be a good case.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: You got to it before me.
Speaker 1: Though, So, oh was it on your list?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Oh oh yeah, well it's in our big book of cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well yes, snoozealer.
Speaker 2: I was going to apologize on't. No.
Speaker 1: It is interesting because a lot of your cases you do, like they're not solved or whatever. At the end you have like theories and stuff. Yep, And now I get to do one kind.
Speaker 2: Of like that awesome possum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of interesting going through the theories in your head, but it also sucks because then it's like there's just like not the closure there for the families and stuff, which breaks my freaking heart.
Speaker 2: I am sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, this case honestly absolutely destroys me, like it just destroys me for so many reasons.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, But I am curious to see what your theory is. But I'm sure we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: We will get to that.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's buckle down and get into it. Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So now, the particular incident of Angie's disappearance took place in Clinton Zuri on April fourth, nineteen ninety one. So we're going back a little ways, but not too far Clinton is a relatively small town with a population at the time and now so it hasn't really changed much of around nine thousand people. It's the type of place where everyone knows each other, and it has like the feeling of being isolated from the big city and the crime of a big city.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I kind of like small town feels. We also have a very small Clinton, NBC.
Speaker 2: We do. Yeah, it's a bigger population than that.
Speaker 1: Way. Oh, I think it's probably smaller, is it, I would think? I don't know. Okay, so some details here. Angie was twenty at the time of her disappearance, and she was known to be a very outgoing and popular young woman. She worked as a bank clerk and was taking classes at the Central Missouri State University. Did you just look it up?
Speaker 2: I did. It's way smaller than I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's teeny what's.
Speaker 2: The six hundred and forty one? Yeah, I'm clearly thinking of the wrong city.
Speaker 1: I think it must be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of little towns like that in BC either. There are tons.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So earlier that year, in January, she became engaged to her boyfriend Rob Shaefer, who was a high school star athlete who planned to have a career in the military, and a few details about Angie because spoiler alert, this is still an active case, meaning that Angie has yet to be found. So she was born on February ninth, nineteen seventy one. She is four foot eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's short.
Speaker 1: So she's very petite. Petite woman, that's a nicer way of putting it.
Speaker 2: Ben, Sorry, under the bus. No shit, now I feel like a dick. No.
Speaker 1: No, she's like not very she's not very tall. She's petite. She's about like one hundred and twenty pounds or so. Okay, So she's a Caucasian female with brown hair and brown eyes. Had a scar on her upper lip, and she wore contacts. The real kicker, though, is Angie was four months pregnant at the time of her disappearance.
Speaker 2: Of course she was.
Speaker 1: Did you know that?
Speaker 2: I did not know that part? No, Like that's real.
Speaker 1: That just adds like a whole new level that does. So to go through her evening the night of April fourth, her and Rob spent the evening attending a family barbecue. The family barbecue was at Angie's mother's house. Once they left there, Angie was to drop Rob off. It was around ten pm, so he could watch his little brother until his mother arrived home. They however, did plan to meet up afterwards to enjoy spending some more time together. But it's like, geez, like to be young. Hey, yeah, no, kid, Like, if I dropped you off at ten, I'd be like piece of one home to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah by ten o'clock. It's like I need to be sleeping by then. I got to work in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And here they were thinking about getting back like after eleven Like.
Speaker 2: That's wow, no, thanks no.
Speaker 1: So in the meantime, Angie would meet up with her friend Kyla to catch up and they would hang out and tell about eleven fifteen, at which time Angie stopped at a payphone to phone Rob and tell him she was feeling a little bit tired and was just going to go home for the rest of the night, so she wasn't not forgetting together, okay. The payphone she called Rob from was at the intersection of Jefferson in Second Street. It was located in the parking lot of a grocery store, and it was only seven blocks away from where Rob was at the time. They chatted for a while when Angie would notice an older model Ford or sorry, older model green Ford pickup truck driving by slowly and circling the block around the payphone a few times. It was late, so there weren't a lot of people on the road at the time, and as I mentioned, they lived in a relatiatively small town, so it wasn't a truck or driver that she recognized. It had a few very noticeable characteristics about it, including a decal which we kind of already.
Speaker 2: Talk about mm hm, the one in the back window.
Speaker 1: Yep, And it was truck or asaria a lake scene with a fish jumping out of the water. And I don't fault Rob for this even in the least because I do think you probably would would maybe do the same thing. But he went about easing Angie's mind saying he probably wasn't from the area and was just like lost, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, odds are it's not going to be a serial killer, you know.
Speaker 1: The odds are there. Yeah, And I mean, just like human nature, I don't think that you generally go around thinking that people are like, oh to get.
Speaker 2: You, because generally they're not.
Speaker 1: Right, generally, unless you unless you listen to a lot of.
Speaker 2: True crime exactly. Yeah, because we had that conversation the other day about how you're just concerned about everyone at all times.
Speaker 1: Now, I know, I like went this park thing that no one was at, but I had turned taken a wrong turn at one point and like up the road where like some people just like randomly camping, And so I was looking at this place for like a location, and it was very small, and I pretty much just like ran the whole time because I was like, if I run, no one will get me. Like that's so weird. I should have just enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's odd. But honestly, like the life of being doing true crime and researching all this, even growing up on it, like Unsolved Mysteries, like that shit, like it affects you for a long time. Oh yeah, you even you played a clip of the dude from Unsolved Mysteries, just his voice. You're like, hey, do you recognize his voice? I know instantly, Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 1: That guy's epic.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: Okay, So next time, the truck would end up pulling in beside where Angie was parked and proceeded to go about using the payphone next to the stall she was in there was like two next to each other, after which he headed back to his truck, took out to flashlight, and would go about acting as though he was looking for something within his truck. If Angie wasn't on edge before, at this point, she very much so was. And she goes about describing the truck and the man's appearance to Rob, which is like good for her, Like that's actually like kind of smart, No kidding. I don't know if she was doing that for like a reason or just like Rob was curious, or I don't know. So she described the man as kind of a dirty look as kind of dirty looking with a mustache, beard, glasses, and was wearing overalls. I think, like I honestly think at this point though, I would be like probably running for the fucking hills. Yeah, I would be terrified.
Speaker 2: Well, this is why I tell you that you need to be carrying a knife in your person stuff. Right, this is why I always have a knife on my hip.
Speaker 1: I know I should. It would it would probably do me well, it would just even just make you feel a little bit better made. Yeah, but like honestly too, in all reality, at this point, she probably was getting away either.
Speaker 2: Well, that's hard to say. If she can defend herself.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah. If she was in control and she decided when she was running, maybe maybe she would have got to her vehicle. So Rob gets Angie to ask the man if he needed to use the phone, thinking that maybe the other phone in the stall beside her was like broken or something. Right, yeah, But when Angie asks, the man responds no, that he'll just try again in a minute.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Angie and Rob proceed to have their conversation, but just a few minutes later, Rob would hear Angie scream on the phone, and he'd hear the voice of the mysterious man saying I didn't need to use the phone anyway.
Speaker 2: Shit, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Rob, only being about a two minute drive away, immediately drops his phone and runs outside to drive over to where was And this is where the story gets absolutely got wrenched.
Speaker 2: This is fucking heartbreaking, this part, this part, I know, this is what made me want to research this case, because.
Speaker 1: This is this is just like bullshit.
Speaker 2: This is probably out of all the fucking true crime cases that I have ever heard, researched or anything. This is one moment that that gets me.
Speaker 1: It does like it's really fucked. So, as he's driving towards the payphone, he actually passes and Angie's abductor going the opposite direction. Angie had given him a fairly good description of the truck, and as they pass each other, Rob actually hears Angie scream out Robbie from inside the abductor's truck.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: So Rob throws his carn reverse, makes a very sharp turn, and speeds after Angie and the truck. He followed the truck for approximately to mylls before his car would give out, No, it would give out. Oh really, and so it apparently when Rob threw his car and reverse so abruptly to go after them, or the sharp turn one or the other unknowingly damaged his transmission, making his car basically undrivable.
Speaker 2: He blew his transmission and oh my god, that is brutal.
Speaker 1: Like in his panic like, oh, I don't know, that's just where like I don't even know. I mean, you hear people like talking the phone sometimes and like the person gets on in an accident like just these incidents that I just couldn't deal.
Speaker 2: With something like this, no kidding, did he get a license plate number.
Speaker 1: Do you know he only had gotten like two letters I think on there because it was like really rusted. So he watched the truck carrying his fiance and future baby drive away to never be seen again.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh my goodness, that hurts like on so many levels right there.
Speaker 1: I know I can barely deal with that, to be honest, And yeah.
Speaker 2: The worst part of it is is like, you know, there's no way it's his fault in any way, shape or form. But you know he's probably blaming himself for fucking up the car, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'll talk about that, the poor guy.
Speaker 2: But like I say, there's no way, it's oh no.
Speaker 1: Nothing, No, he was there, Yeah, like he was there. That is just, oh gosh, a moment in life where you just have to feel like, I don't know, the powers at be just hate you or something I don't know, yeah, or I don't even know. So Rob was able to flag down a vehicle passing by to drive him to the police station to get help and relay his story to the police, but he put a lot of blame on himself. He always told Angie he'd be there to take care of her. So unsolved mysteries. Like we mentioned, covered the case way back in February of nineteen ninety two with Rob and Angie's mother appearing on the show, and the mother said Rob tried and did everything he could. No one blamed him, but that Rob thought people did. This is a quote from Rob. He said, the beginning's the hardest because you know you were close enough to get him, but you just didn't get the job done. And you still wake at nights wondering where she's at, wondering what happened, wondering if anyone's still looking. You just wonder all the time. So, like you can tell there that he just like it feels terrible, like he'd just blame.
Speaker 2: Himself and enemy. I understand. I could. I could see where he's coming from. However, he wasn't close enough to get him. If he was close enough to get him, he would have got him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, even if that didn't happen, the guy could still very much so have gotten away.
Speaker 2: Exactly totally right. It's definitely not his fault, not in any way, shape or form. No, Like I say, if he was close enough he would have got him, he would have made sure of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a side note, did you know that Unsolved Mysteries is actually on Prime?
Speaker 2: Is it really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There's like numerous seasons on there.
Speaker 2: So cool. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them as a kid.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Well, there was new ones come out or something, and a new season came out in like, oh gosh, I'm gonna get this wrong. I can't remember. It's like twenty fifteen or twenty twenty. Really, yes, you haven't, dude, there's a new season.
Speaker 2: I am. Actually I did see a couple of the new ones because there was a few cases that I either did research or wanted to research that I saw the episodes.
Speaker 1: On Oh okay, I wonder if it's the same host, and I meant to look that up. But that show is just dope. Like that's literally why all millennials are obsessed with true crime.
Speaker 2: It's that it's Goosebumps, It's Ghostbusters and are you afraid of the which I don't know if that's a Canadian thing. I think it might be.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe, yeah, all of those things. Yeah, okay, So, the news of Angie's disappearance shocked the town of Clinton. An extensive air and land search involving the police and hundreds of citizens was launched in hopes of finding at Angie, the abductor or the truck, but there was no sign damn. And one thing I was like, I feel I didn't put this in here, but I felt like they kind of thought it might not be super hard because the truck was so with the deco and stuff was so distinguished, right, like you think.
Speaker 2: They could be to behind that.
Speaker 1: So the Missouri State Highway Patrol assisted doing a computer search on all registered vehicles matching the truck description, and they ended up with sixteen hundred possibilities, but again there was no success. The police based their investigation on Rob's testimony, but when no witness this is refound to validate his statement, Rob would become a suspect himself, understandable, which brings us to the suspects and possible theories into the case.
Speaker 2: Can I throw my theory out there before we get into him? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: My theory is it some fucked up farmer because people with acreage often have unregistered vehicles that they run around on their own property. With this being arrested, out license plate probably would have gotten pulled over by authorities at some point, so that license plate is probably old, not even registered anymore, long since gone. That is only running around on his personal property. For whatever reason, he decided he's going to go out one night grab someone. Maybe he was even just drinking in the moment. He just saw her and was like, fuck, yeah, I'm gonna do this. But for whatever reason, he's out with his personal truck where he shouldn't be, and he gets her, goes back to his property, doesn't leave the farm again with that truck. That truck is sitting somewhere in his property, either buried or in a barn or something. And unfortunately she never left his property either. Whether she's live or buried as well is another thing.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I at first wanted to be like you probably almost hope that she wasn't alive, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: It depends if she's alive. I can't imagine the horror she's it's probably.
Speaker 1: A terrible life. Yeah, okay, So Rob, that's interesting. So like, after I go through these, I'm curious to know if, like you still.
Speaker 2: Think that you know, Okay, well let's hear it.
Speaker 1: So Rob Schaefer, the fiance suspect number one, I mean it's always suspect number one, right, Yeah, I'm not going to go into a ton of detail because it's not always the significant other people. It's just not okay. So a quote from Angie's mother, Unsold Mysteries said, I think it was natural that people wondered did the boyfriend do it? But my feeling, I've known the kid all his life and I never doubted for a minute that he had anything to do with it. So right there, I just felt like that quote was super strong, and within a week Rob was cleared of any involvement in Angie's disappearance. Angie's ex boyfriend at one time was also a potential suspect. His name was Bill Barker. Apparently a rumor was going around that the baby was actually Bill's and not Rob's. This was denied by both Bill and Rob. There was there wasn't what was that? I think it was kiwi okay, just a super earliird noise. There wasn't any evidence to point to Bill, and he also passed a polygraph test, so he was cleared as a suspect. But there was also another suspicion that the two of them, Rob and Bill were in on the abduction together. Wow, Okay, I don't know, but like I said, they were both cleared to suspects.
Speaker 2: But a polygraph isn't one hundred percent though it's not.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it is. But I think even then, like in the nineties, I think they kind of relied on it a bit more than they do now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they definitely would have. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now, as the investigation continued, the police would connect Angie's abduction to two other unsolved cases. At the time, these cases were within a one hundred mile radius of Clinton. The first occurred near max Creek, Missouri, on January nineteenth, nineteen ninety one, so not even three months prior to Agie's abduction. Forty two year old Trudy Darby was working alone in a convenience store when she called her son around ten pm, saying there was a suspicious man lurking outside. She didn't want to travel through the parking lot alone to her vehicle, so she asked if he could come down and escort her. The Sun traveled the less than ten minutes to his mum, but when he arrived to the store, the store was empty and Trudy was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: Two days later, on January twenty first, the body of Trudy would be found only ten miles from the store on a riverbank. She had been raped and shot in the head twice. The store had been robbed two hundred and twenty dollars. Wow, okay, which I'm like, that's disgusting, no kidding, I'm sorry, but that's I mean, no money is worth like the death of a person.
Speaker 2: But like, that's no kidding. Well, I'm going to play the whole devil's advocacy here, though. The argument I'm arguing for kind of disgusts me that this is going to come out of my mouth. It wasn't just the money that was paid in penance. There was also the sexual assault. Oh yeah, so it was it was the sexual assault and the money that was valued at her life. Not that it's still equal value, not even fucking close. It's absolutely disgusting. But it's not just the money, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And who knows, like the sexual assault might have been a higher value to that then the money, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The money was probably just they grabbed it like in a quick whim sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I don't as far as I know, they didn't like steal anything else and stuff. They could have stole probably other things from there.
Speaker 2: They were there for her.
Speaker 1: Oh disgusting. The other case they believed may have been connected was that of thirty year old Cheryl Kenny. She was another Convenience Star worker seventy miles from Max Creek in Nevada, Missouri. It was the evening of November twenty seventh, again nineteen ninety one, and Cheryl's time card shows that she clocked out for the night at ten pm and the store was locked, but she never arrived home. Her car was found in the store parking lot. So from the time of locking up the convenience store to getting in her car, she seemed to simply vanish. She was a wife and mother to two and has not been seen since.
Speaker 2: Damn. Yeah, and there's no witness to that. Just gone, hey, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well with that one. Apparently I didn't put it in here, but apparently there was like she was working with a janitor and they decided to close the store early just because it wasn't super busy and stuff, and so she sent the janitor home, and there was one customer in the store at the time, and so when the janner left. There was just this one person. But then they said for Angie to or sorry, not Angie, what was her name, sorry, Cheryl to actually have locked up the store and everything like that person would have had to have left, but who knows if they had waited for her in the parking lot or something. But then the janitor also said that it was just his car in Cheryl's car in the parking lot, so someone could have.
Speaker 2: Come yeap or likely, but it very much could have been someone who knowingly knew she was there alone.
Speaker 1: Those two incidents seem very similar to me, Yeah, they do. So Angie was a duckted just one month later, so it's not far fetched to think that these cases may be connected. It was feared a serial killer maybe on the loose, and we have a few serial killers on the list of potential suspects. But first, while Angie and Cheryl Kenny's case remains unsolved, Trudy Darby's killers did eventually get caught a few years later and her case did get solved. So they were two men, Jesse Rush and Marvin Chaney, who were half brothers. They were caught because Jesse ended up confiding in a few people I think he was like probably bragging that he and Marvin were responsible for Trudy's murder.
Speaker 2: Most likely, these fucking skis bags end up getting confidence and wanting to showboat.
Speaker 1: Right, which is so disgusting, Like just oh, just don't even like, just go.
Speaker 2: Away, just don't even just don't even don't even.
Speaker 1: Of these friends and ended up contacting police, even though Jesse had threatened to kill her if she did so. Good on her, No kidding. You were friends with an absolute piece of shit, but you slightly redeem yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a moral compass.
Speaker 1: The police ended up putting recording devices in the friend's room and were able to get a recorded confession from Jesse on the tape. After he was arrested, he confessed to detectives and continued to brag about.
Speaker 2: It to inmates. Fuck off.
Speaker 1: But then these inmates apparently went on to testify and stuff because they probably out of tior motives are like, shit, if I testify then about this guy being a piece of shit, then I can maybe get less on myself.
Speaker 2: Time shaved off. Yep.
Speaker 1: So his confession entailed that he and Marvin went into the store with the intention of robbing and abducting Trudy. After taking the money, they dragged to Trudy out of the store, forced her into the trunk of the car, drove to a nearby barn, where they raped and shot her in the head. They then went to dispose of her body in the river when they noticed she was still alive and shot her again. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I want to point out something. They went where to a barn, to barnes saying.
Speaker 1: You did actually say that. I was like, what's with the barn? Just saying yeah, I don't know if they lived there though, I don't know no, but but there you go. So Marvin claimed to never be involved, saying he was at home with his wife, who initially supported his alibi, but she later changed her story, stating she lied because she was afraid of Marvin. They were both sentenced to life in prison. The police believed that Marvin and Jesse were also responsible for Angie and Cheryl's disappearances. In a letter Jesse wrote to another inmate, it mentioned dumping the barodies of two other women in remote locations and said, I'm glad they don't know everything else we did, or I'd be on death row.
Speaker 2: Well that's clearly he's responsible for other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah so, but as you know, the bodies of the two others have never been found, right.
Speaker 2: And if they did dump in river, it's you're not going to find it, right. Rivers are notorious for getting rid of bodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so I personally believe that Jesse Mervin also committed the crime against Cheryld. I just feel like they're just too similar, that that was almost like their m O. Maybe going to like a convenience store where like a singular person was working like that. But for some reason, I don't feel convinced they are also connected to Angie's case. I do wonder, though, why Jesse wouldn't blab about the others like he did with Trudy.
Speaker 2: Because it's sentencing.
Speaker 1: Well, why would he blab about one though to friends and stuff, but not the other.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe you just hadn't got that far yet. Give him enough time, and he probably would.
Speaker 1: Have, I guess if he gets away with it.
Speaker 2: Long enough, because clearly in that letter he was starting to already. Yeah, if he wasn't in prison at that time, he probably would have started. Probably give him another year, he probably would have been confessing to both of them to his friends, and who knows what he would have said.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, now before I move on in regards to serial killer's theory, there's one thing that I should note, which is the apparent sightings of Angie being reported to the police, one particular sighting being in Manitoba, Canada in October of nineteen ninety one. The individual who reported the sighting his name was Russell Smith. He was from Manitoba, but he was visiting family Mirsouri when he saw a missing person's poster for Angie. It striked a memory for him, and he claimed he saw a woman matching Angie's description get inside a green pickup truck with a decal on the rear window in Manitoba, leaving a drug store. A thorough search was done by the RCMP, including researching bursts because at that time and you would have had her baby and abandoned babies. But nothing was found. So I don't know. You hear that sometimes where people are seen, but I feel like everyone has someone that looks like them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the world, right, And there's a lot of green, old green pickup trucks out there. Yeah, I've seen a lot of decos with scenery on the back window of trucks around here in town where we live. We live in a small city. Yeah, so I'm sure there's other green pickup trucks with a similar type deco out there in the world.
Speaker 1: And it's also interesting because I just feel like a month, I think it was about a month had passed. So it's just like, can he actually remember like what exactly he saw, Like I don't know, like in that kind in detail.
Speaker 2: You know. The mine plays some crazy tricks on individuals when you're trying to think back a lot of the time, Yeah, it's your memory making it up again. You can't remember things exactly. Yeah, like all your memories you have of your childhood, it's your memory making it up for you to revisit it.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And sometimes and I mean I even have had that sometimes you don't remember even like if it's something's a dream versus like reality or something like, the mind plays weird shit games on you.
Speaker 2: Oh, it does weird shit games.
Speaker 1: Indeed, that's a good English, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That's very good English. That is a very good English.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay, So for the serial killers on the list, we have Kenneth McDuff, Tommy Sells, and Larry d Wayne Hall. They were all active in the state of Missouri at the time of Angie's disappearance, and they were all like not serving time at that particular moment. Though direct evidence isn't necessary leading to these three individuals, they all had a resemblance to Angie He's abductor. So what Angie had told Rob that they look like their victims were often young women, and they had more victims still undetermined by police. So Kenneth McDuff, his span of crimes was from October sixth, nineteen sixty six to March first, nineteen ninety two, and his victim count was it said any of her nine to fourteen plus. Kenneth has has actually been on my list. I don't know if we ever written our book, but a list to do a podcast on because he's the one also known as the broomstick killer.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But with Kenneth, a lot of people believe it isn't him because he when he was on death row about to get executed, they figured he would have brought up because he'd brought up things like he was trying to not get executed, so they think that he would have brought up Angie.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: I think it totally makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if you're gonna if you're gonna be playing your cards, you're gonna play the ace up your sleep, right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and that would definitely come up because I think that would buy you a lot of time.
Speaker 2: Yeap.
Speaker 1: So Tommy sells his span of crimes was from nineteen eighty to December nineteen ninety nine. He was only convicted of one crime, but he had like twenty two plus suspected.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like all these people just getting away with shit.
Speaker 2: Just disgusting.
Speaker 1: I keep saying disgusting, but it's just.
Speaker 2: Like it's just that's what it is, though, it really is.
Speaker 1: It so is because even that I'm not going to go in a lot of detail about that Kenneth due because we might do a podcast on him, but the brief shit I read about that, like he should have been in jail and he's not, and he was doing bad things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Kenneth McDuff and Tommy Sell have both since been executed, so it's unlikely we'll know if Angie's fate was due to one of these men As for Larry d Wayne hall Well, he mentioned in an interview he had five girls buried in the Mark Twain Forest. When asked which cities they were from, he replied with three from Springfield and two from small towns that he couldn't remember the names of. So it suspected three of his victims were the Springfield three, which is an unsolved missing person's case from June of ninety two in Missouri, and the other two being Sheryl Kenny and Angie. So that's a speculation. So the newest theory out there. And I think this theory was just like released in twenty twenty one or something like very recent. And this is the potential of a mistaken identity. So this one, this one's.
Speaker 2: Wild mistaken identity. Okay, you got my interest.
Speaker 1: Investigators are working on a theory that at Gie was actually mistaken for another woman who was being targeted in the aftermath of her father's legal affairs.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: So this man had had acted as an informant in an narcotics case and received a note threatening the life of his daughter, who was also named Angela. So the note was sent out on April fourth, nineteen ninety one. The same evening Angie was abducted. Authorities believe that due to the similar names and appearances, the two women were mixed up and Angie was mistakenly abducted.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Yeah, that seems extremely plausible.
Speaker 1: So this theory, I think is still being like investigated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that seems very plausible. It does. I do still stand by my part of the theory that that truck came from an old farm. And sorry, the reason I say that is that rusted out license plate.
Speaker 1: Well, Kate, do you remember my license plate at one point on.
Speaker 2: My civic that's not rusted. It was just that was falling off, that was sun bleached and the label was peeling. Rusted means it's been sitting there for a long time, not being replaced. And where does that happen? On private property?
Speaker 1: I never even thought about that. You know, I didn't even have the rusted thing written in there. Just came off out of my head.
Speaker 2: Well it was rusted though, right, it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I didn't even have it written in here because you know, as you're reading, lots of shit just flows.
Speaker 2: Back to you. Yeah. No, but that, like that rusted license plate, that to me is a very big key. Yeah, that tells me where that truck has been and where it comes from. That says it's private property where no one sees it's been sitting for a long time.
Speaker 1: Because I do believe that it would be that truck would be very easy to spot at a later time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's probably sitting on someone's back forty right now. Yeah, just covered up.
Speaker 1: So now, also with just that last theory, it had been that note and stuff I think had been like in their documents or whatever. But as the case, the case does get relooked at this like came up.
Speaker 2: So she I was like, that's wild.
Speaker 1: So to briefly recap the theories I went over because I'm giving a lot of information here. It's a it's gonna be a bit overwhelming. So we have Angie's fiance, Angie's ex boyfriend or the two of them as a team. We have Jesse Russ and Marvin Chaney who murdered Trudy Darby. We have serial killers Kenneth McDuff, Tommy Sells or Larry d Wayne Hall. We have the mistaken identity or we have that it could have honestly just been a completely random attack, which you kind of had said, And I'm throwing this one in here because I mean, there were some sightings at some point. It could be that she's still like alive somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm going to adapt my theory. Okay, let's hear my theory is, Yeah, of course those brothers were responsible for more. They're not responsible for Angie, is it, sorry, Angie? Yeah, Angie. They're not responsible for Angie specifically, though, I think yes, this note leads to a mistaken identity. They talk to someone available, they know someone who knows, someone who's somebody out on a farm somewhere who's like, yeah, I can get it done for you for ten grand whatever. Hopson his truck he knows isn't going to get identified through the grapevine. He knows where said Angie is going to be, and through the grapevine, said Angie is the wrong Angie. He goes, picks her up, heads back to his farm, where the truck is now disposed of, and Angie is unfortunately disposed of as well.
Speaker 1: Isn't that just devastating? Though, Hey, that is the person that.
Speaker 2: Is that's I mean wrong or right?
Speaker 1: I mean even if yeah, even if that was the right Angie, like terrible because I mean, but oh, like she really did nothing. I mean, the other Angie. I guess her father did something, which doesn't help.
Speaker 2: Her at all. But so what's your theory?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Okay, I actually, yeah, I don't think that the brothers did Angies. I do think this theory of this mistaken identity identity makes a lot of sense. But then I also really think the Larry de Wayne Hall serial killer thing makes a lot of sense too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does to me.
Speaker 1: Just how he said there was like five victims. They're all from Missouri, the three of them, or that the Springfield three, and then the other two or these other two that didn't I don't know. It just makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you'd never know who those other two are, right.
Speaker 1: Well, Angie and Cheryl.
Speaker 2: I know it could be yeah, but it also could be others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it totally could be others. So okay, So there you have it. Angie has been missing for thirty years now, and know there may be possibilities, there sure aren't any confirmed answers into her deduction. And I'll close the podcast with once again the description of Angie being that this is still an ongoing thing, a drawing was done in twenty thirteen of what Angie may look like at the age of forty three, So I'll post that on our Instagram and Facebook. Angela Hamlin is described as a betite Caucasian female. She's four or eleven, and at the time of her aduction weighed one hundred and twenty pounds. She has brown, curly hair and brown eyes and a scar on her upper lip. If you have any information about Angie, you're asked to contact the police.
Speaker 2: Well, I really hope that she is still out there, and I really do hope that she's found. Yeah, and even I hate to say it, but I do hope at the very least her remains are found.
Speaker 1: I mean, it would give the family closure. There is a Facebook page actually that I was on. It's called Angele Marie Hammond or maybe it's just hers, I don't know, but anyway, there's like updates on there.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be hers if it's from ninety one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wouldn't be so okay, So it's just someone has made it. And yeah, they put updates on there, like they've put this newest one and it's still active, like the last post was April. Oh, that's not super active, I guess April twenty nine, twenty twenty one. But yeah, so I mean the family, because that's the thing, Like they're not losing hope and stuff. It's just yeah, I mean if she was alive or found, or if she had died and they knew about it, she'd still always be on their mind, but in a little bit of a different way, there'd be some closure, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one way or another. This is an absolutely heartbreaking case. I can't imagine the idea of passing. Oh that's the thing that gets me that that's got to be one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever heard in true crime.
Speaker 1: On that is it's just it would just haunt you.
Speaker 2: Like we've heard disgusting things. Don't get me wrong, but that is like, that's.
Speaker 1: That is just like it would just wake you up in the middle of the night, nightmare, Like you'd hear the scream that she was said of your voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well your name sorry, And like you said at the very u intro of this, that's hair standing on the back of your neck. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, let us know what you think. We always loved to hear what your guys' theories and what you think happened.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, let us know. We'd love to hear it. You can shoot us a message or a comment or whatever, whether it's email or website or Instagram or Facebook or Patreon, or we have Twitter, which I still need to learn how to use.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have we been updating on Twitter? I've actually been meaning to ask you that, and I'm just asking you that on our podcast.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't really been updating. I haven't been on there for like a week.
Speaker 1: I know I haven't. I haven't got on there at all.
Speaker 2: And also, as of today, we officially have a Reddit account. I mean, we're on Reddit looking at cases once in a while, so I figured, you know what, might as well get an account. There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, thank you for listening, thank you for being here, and as always, stay wicked.