Speaker 1: He was a Commaric podcast episode four ninety eight. I'm brand over here Thrid, and we're gonna talk about building for specific formats now and our things.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, yes, we'll just have to fucking quit.
Speaker 1: Rest for a second or two and say, hey, Ryan, we're back forget another whirlwind adventure. How you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm getting blown away where this is?
Speaker 1: This is a hell of a day, Ryan. What is going down?
Speaker 2: What is going down?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: Not much? We've got some stories to tell, some people to think. But before we get to any of that, did I get the arm motions right?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: We have to thank our official business daddies, Fusion Gaming Online dot Com. They're your source for all your gaming needs. Use special promo code CCO nation to get a big old discount on all the shit that you're gonna buy.
Speaker 1: Anyways, let me hit you with this. Sure just made a recipe order. It is a recipe. I just made a recipe order from Fusion Gaming online dot com. A bunch of Secret Layer singles yep, a bunch of mid level Final Fantasy for the singles, and a Final Fantasy Commander deck.
Speaker 2: Did you use promo code to get a discount.
Speaker 1: I absolutely did.
Speaker 2: Were you going to buy that stuff anyways?
Speaker 1: I sure was.
Speaker 2: So now you have money left over.
Speaker 1: I sure do.
Speaker 2: That's great. It's pretty cool, especially in this time in day and age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I pimped out a bunch of my decks and I got a whole new deck because the final Fantasy Tara deck gonna be the very first pre con I don't alter and just try and play.
Speaker 2: It, oh straight up pre con.
Speaker 1: Like you, Alex, I already bought it and then dismantled it and put all the parts that I wanted into other decks.
Speaker 2: You can bite again.
Speaker 1: But then then then I got it again, so I can just just play it.
Speaker 2: I did that with the hosts of Mordor pre content.
Speaker 1: I just think I wanted to do it, and I didn't want to take apart all my other decks and I try and get the single roll.
Speaker 2: You know how I'm a bigger nerd than you are?
Speaker 1: Tell me?
Speaker 2: This is how I know I'm a bigger nerd than you is the second pre con from my favorite IP, the second one that I bought, left it sealed. Nerd also from Fusion Gaming Online, also got a discount using a CCO promo code. Oh yeah, good stuff, that's very good stuff. Hey, we got to say a second thank you to producer Gary over at the Different Avenue Media Network Nudio Nudio.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh look at that mouse. Yeah, Gary's on this one. This is the Different Avenue Media Network, Studio network, Studio Network Network, studio network in which we sit now. It's got a podcasting situation, it's got an audiobook slash Voice recording studio, it's got a Twitch studio. It's got it all. So if you're local or you want to get some stuff done.
Speaker 2: Oh look at you.
Speaker 1: Go check this out.
Speaker 2: Do we switch roles today?
Speaker 1: You know what you could do? You can send an email to contactactor Fridnap dot com. That is the email. This is the theme song and you could be part of the network. You could do it, and it's it's it's all right there in the song. If you have any ideas or anything, we will not say no to you. We will try and make your dreams come to life, just like Gary's helping us do right now.
Speaker 2: So I'm shaking. I'm waiting to die good good.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for that for eight years, Ryan.
Speaker 2: Yes, eight years yes, we've got a second big thank you to to get to.
Speaker 1: Oh this is the third one because we thanked business daddy. Oh yeah, and we thank the studio your daddy.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're right, you're right, I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Don't be smart.
Speaker 2: I'm dumb.
Speaker 1: I am handsome. You are not very attractive, Yes that's true.
Speaker 2: Yes you have huge wiener me ty.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have a fart can on your car. I don't need one because everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: You fart lots and I don't have a car. Yes, sure, okay, No, we have a new Patreon to say thank you.
Speaker 1: Dang, I'm sorry to that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah in the discord got finger blasted yep, and now needs the The second most prominent benefit to being a patron is their Patreon nickname. Okay, big thank you and shout out to he's got a last This is our first one. Last name is actually a brand name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird. Is his name Hugo Walmart?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's a J Desani? Yeah yeah, yeah, you got water on the knee? Is he a tall drink of water?
Speaker 1: Operation? What's his first name? A J. That's not a real name.
Speaker 2: It's spelled phonetically it is.
Speaker 1: A name like a Y J A Y.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't matter, it does matter. A J not a real drink of water. There's got to be a water joke in here somewhere. He like, he's never heard that before. Water sports, water sports. Oh yeah, bring your goggles with the wipers on them, boys.
Speaker 1: A J one cup, A J.
Speaker 2: I'm imagining. I'm imagining what goes into the cup and then you.
Speaker 1: Drink J space one cup. One word there it is.
Speaker 2: We are talking about different things.
Speaker 1: Not we are definitely not.
Speaker 2: That's never happened before. Yeah, we're talking about paying into a cop Oh definitely not what I was talking about.
Speaker 1: That's what we're talking about, because we all remember that internet meme, right yeah, AJ one cup Welcome aboard, and we're sorry gross.
Speaker 2: We are definitely talking about different things. Anyways, we have a couple I want to call it an Uncle Brando curated topic today.
Speaker 3: Oh and we've had a few of these lately, and in doing the post production of these episodes, I've really thought, oh man, that was like a good topic, or we had a good conversation, or there's been thoughtful questions, etc.
Speaker 2: So what is the topic and what the hell does it have to do with us, and why are we talking about it? And or what the hell are we doing?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Okay, so June very important around the nation. We have lots of people who are can we say on the flag, Yeah, sure, they're in the rainbow.
Speaker 2: And in the queer community, man.
Speaker 1: And we appreciate and we love them, We love them being here. This is a great place for them to be.
Speaker 2: And you know it's July, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the event happened at the end of the month this time, so it's harder to talk about. Yes, it just happened yesterday, right, Yes, Okay, So the boys at WATSI, all the boys and girls and they and them's and all the people at watch it, they all jumped aboard this event where all legendary creatures have partner so you can have whatever you want and it's awesome, just like in real life but in magic. Yeah. And so we went to the nation, went or LGS and we played some just legendary creatures that don't have partner hearings, which is so different than the average game of magic. The gathering, especially Commander, so effing different. And do you want to take the time to participate in one of these events. Yes, is it worth it to take some time and put some thought into doing a specific deck for events like this? Yes, we're going to talk about those questions here on the show today, and we're going to use as examples some of the decks that I ran into at our lgs. Some of them were exactly what you'd think. Some of them were really eye opening to the deck that you were playing. Some of them were exceptionally creative. Some of them took the time to delve into just the dirty, rotten, stinking depths of magic, to dredge out crap that you would never play anywhere else.
Speaker 2: That one is the one that gets me. That's my kink.
Speaker 1: And there was even one that was just a dirty, rotten, stink, stupid gimmick that just got better because you could play a different color. And so I picked I curated a list of eight technically seven because one of them's mind because I selfishly wanted to talk about it on the show.
Speaker 2: You selfish podcasting, I know.
Speaker 1: But we'll do it first and get it out of the way. Hey, you know what, I feel like I've hit the whole gambit of all these things, and I just I think it's worth talking about just what people can do and all the possibilities that come up when you have an opportunity to play Commander with your friends, yes, or with the community, but just interact with it in a different way because you can come at it from so many different angles and all of them are super fun, which is key and valid, which is also something that I think that people need to acknowledge when it comes to just doing a game. How you're doing it is correct unless you're an asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And what I was going to say a couple of minutes back, as long as yous not hurting anybody, yeah, is very key.
Speaker 1: Like if you're winning game is by like stabbing people in the leg under the table and they're like, oh my god, and they lose for slow play.
Speaker 2: Don't do them by stabbing them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Good. Not good.
Speaker 1: I don't be doing that kind of stuff. Not good, not good.
Speaker 2: I had something else to say too, but now I don't remember stabbing. It was about partners. It was about going and playing and when you were getting into the different combinations, they're good. It'll come back to me. It'll come back to me. I thought about it when we were doing the pre show. I thought about it again, forgot it both times.
Speaker 1: Let me hit Let me hit you with something that I'm very proud about about this format. Sure, my favorite commander or in the Warry.
Speaker 2: Never heard of Her is the one and only.
Speaker 1: Banned legendary creature in the format. When used in combination with a background from Balder's Gate for Blue One, whenever a legendary each other slash your commander, it comes into play Draw a card, band, it's the one and O you kidding me? Turn one in your command.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: Turn to your other commander. That turns into draw five cards a turn. Bro. You will win every single game doing that. That's so I just I'm very proud of my boy Ran for reaching that level. That's fantastic band in a made up format. That's a boy.
Speaker 2: What I mean is, neither of those cards are that good. Neither of them are game changers, for example, But that's fantastic just.
Speaker 1: When used in that particular condunction, it's very good. There's lots of fun.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I totally freaking forget what I was gonna what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: Let's go into Let's go into our first combination of cards. It's the brand O combination. It's the deck that I brought to the event. And we'll just start and when you remember you can break in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll we'll do our best to read the cards. If you're watching on YouTube, which we'll you'll be able to see them. They're gonna be on screen starting right now.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: So the deck, what a bunch of bullshit?
Speaker 1: So the deck that I bought to the thing.
Speaker 2: Fucking what to ask? Harobi deaths Wil and Giza the hell Raiser?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god.
Speaker 2: You're simp girl and your guy who looks like a giant vagina?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? The deck that we did on episode one zero of Commander zero was Zata. Episode one of Commander Cookout podcast was Herobi Death's Will. This deck still exists in my collection. I hate when you're right, and inside that deck is Giza the hell Raiser. If you're watching on YouTube, you'll see the wanted poster art where they stole my face and put it onto some hoe just some chick. Yep.
Speaker 2: I suppose that's appropriate for what we're doing and talking. And here's why I like this, Literally, Brando and drag.
Speaker 1: So Harobi is whenever I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong. I can't, I can't.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 1: She even has the little weird pinky finger when she waves her hand like I do. If they get it's weird there, it is like it's it's me, that's me, that's absolutely me.
Speaker 2: I want to hit you in the head with that shovel.
Speaker 1: Right of course you do, so here's why I did this. Harobi is a four to four with flying for black black two. Whatever a creature becomes the target of speller ability, kill it. Oh yeah. Baby Geese of the hell Raiser is a four four for five to a witch a black with ward two and paid two life. Because of course she has ward craziness, she gives her zombies and skeletons. Big. That doesn't mean shit like that. But whenever you commit a crime, you make two tabs two two zombies.
Speaker 2: So whenever you target your opponent's thing with something, it dies and you get two dudes. Yes, and the dudes are three threes. Yes, that's pretty good. Yeah, that's really good.
Speaker 1: That's a really good deck. And here's why I enjoyed playing it so so much.
Speaker 2: So you could tap your herborg and give something banding and kill it and make two three threes.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good, yes, Or in a suboptimal world, I could tap my herb worg to take away first strike from something and just make two guys. Oh, because Herobi the deck is very, very oppressive and it's difficult to play against. Because we've see episode one of Commander Cookout. As bad as it is, I wouldn't watch that. We very much explained why Harobi can change Magic games, especially now, and just it. It's a different game and my deck is built to deal with it. Presumably yours is not. But it can make a very very oppressive game state. But when you play Gisa, it allows me to do the thing that my deck does and I'm still accruing value in my deck is still working, and I get to do all the things that I want to do. But in a roundabout sense, so you and.
Speaker 2: If some buddy's trying to fuck around and find out you put Herobi down and it's like, Okay, my whole deck's full of stuff. I'm gonna target your deck with. Yeah, so I'm just gonna kill your whole team and I'm gonna make twenty four power with a guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my whole deck just bones you. Yes, right, and that to be fair, that's what happened.
Speaker 2: And also no king Chimin in.
Speaker 1: The name, like that's how the deck worked. That's how it functioned. But it was so much more fun to play, and my opponents in this particular case, we're having a good time too, because I wasn't just turning their decks off and just killing them. It wasn't always useless for me to do anything because Herobi.
Speaker 2: When whenever I've played against your Herobi deck, I've found it a slog. Not because all of everybody's stuff is dying. There's ultimately three of us and only one of you. You can't kill everything. What you can't do is win because there's three of us and one of you, and all we have to do is target one of your guys and it dies. So if Geeza acts in the command zone after Herrobi because she's on curve compared to him as the symmetry breaker, I could see this deck being quite powerful.
Speaker 1: It was, it was, it was fun and it was good. I kinda I was so sad to like, oh I gotta go back to this regular, you know what I mean, because I still love that deck, But I enjoyed how much fun and interactive gameplay I had playing this, and I only get to do it once a year, but boy, howdy, am I just gonna bust this out next time because I had a lot of fun. I had a really good time playing this.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let's see who's up next. Somebody we got we got we got seven more, right.
Speaker 1: We have seven more, and this next one is gonna be one that you're gonna notice, you're gonna recognize right away. So you read the cards. Here we go, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Right? And dragon?
Speaker 1: As soon as I read them, it was some dude I hadn't seen before, and he had dark sunglasses on and hat and was wearing like those fingerless leather like bicycling gloves. Bro rolls it there were any spots left? And the true story and the the LGS is like, yeah, we got one more. I have it.
Speaker 2: Fuck I should have came and this guy couldn't.
Speaker 1: Have played and he goes yeah, and he sits down with like bt O and a couple other guys and it's like, oh shit. And then when I was going around taking pictures of everybody's commander combinations, I saw this. I looked up and I'm like, you, bastard, piece of shit, what are you? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Tmatt tutors for five dragons and is a five to five for sorry, a seven to seven for Woburg in two seven, and Flying Dragon is a ten to ten. Makes your dragons cost less, flying ten ten for nine. Yeah, and whenever you whenever one or more dragons you control, attack draw that many cards.
Speaker 1: And it also makes dragon spills cost one less. And I did ask him just to make sure, Yes, he was playing Draco Genesis, okay, And I asked some of the guys that he was playing with afterwards. Yes, he did to resolve Draco Genesis a couple of times. Yeah. Yes, so I've played that deck. I know it's very stout, it's very resilient. Yeah, of course somebody brought this. This is the example of.
Speaker 2: I want my cake and I eat it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just I want to win these games. I want to take them.
Speaker 2: Well one necessarily, like if I was making if you told me Ryan, somebody good for Ryan. Somebody is playing or Dragon and tmat in anybody's Commander Dot deck CEDH tournament. This ain't the decking the tournament, right, No, But you're going when you know it's funny. Honestly, it's probably a Thracio's deck. He already has a partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bullshit. I don't want I don't want to this.
Speaker 2: This is a very very very powerful casual deck, and i'll I'll use Tmat and the her Dragon to interject my first the first thing I thought of when this format was announced for like last week or the week a couple weeks ago, whatever it was, I thought, man, who would I build? And the first kinds of things that came to my mind were like Gisa and Geroffe not Gisa and geroff the one card, but Gisa will call her Gisa and stitch er giraffe right, or or like Edgar and Olivia and you put wedding ring in there and it's thematic and flavorful. I thought of Nickel Bowlis and Ugen double Planes Walker in the Command's Own Commander deck. It's only Grixis in that case, but you get pretty good. You get to play Grixis Nickel Bowlis and Ugen Dragon Dot deck and you get probably all of the best dragons anyways, except for old and sun Scores Regent. I really liked that card in white but this is like I said, your cake and smashing your whole wiener into it and eating it.
Speaker 1: And then making somebody else eat it.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's even better.
Speaker 1: That's what that is. And for the record, same guy did have Thracios and Timna, but the Final Fantasy Beyond Time versions of them.
Speaker 2: Did have Thracios and Timna, but two different decks and they weren't partners.
Speaker 1: So he brought them out and it was like, so I got these just in case, and he was He was like, yeah, I got these, and he knew and he totally showed them to me knowing, and I looked him like, take a fuck, what's wrong with you? But it was so very good. So that's like kind of the top end casual, like let's just cause pain and misery as we go along.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see how much more miserable we can be. Who are our next pairs we've got? Oh, this is another one that I thought of to do, because it's a freaking travesty that Bruna the Fading Light and Gisella Broken Blade do not have partner. You can't put them in your command zone together.
Speaker 1: That's bullshit. That is some shit. So our boy five called them Auto and Angel. Aaron actually played this fuck because, of course he did. Of course Ben thought about building it, and so did Alex. So I know of three people that wanted to do this, only one of them ended up doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but of simps, what do the cards do?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They meld into a giant fuck off that's got one.
Speaker 1: Of them brings an angel or human back from the graver who comes into play the other ones like a first strike vigilance or flying first strike lifelink.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Er, and when you meld them together at the end of your turn because you have both, it's like a first strike flying life linking dude that makes her opponents not be able to play things that cost three or less.
Speaker 2: And it's a ten nine or nine to ten or something, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just freaking big. So we did see that as well. Again, it's taking the commander partners that should have partner but don't. There's one in Final Fantasy as well. It's Fang and girl with pink hair I don't remember her name, and they meld together to make a big super creature as well, but not you can't have them both in the command zone. But here we had this opportunity to right the wrong. Oh I like that right and do it and so again another benefit to playing crazy formats like this, and I don't Actually it's one of the very few games that I didn't hear somebody going, oh, God, damn it, Aaron, I can't attack you. You He was actually trying to aggrow people out in that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, he wasn't trying to control the board with it. He was just trying to just pound you with it, stomp on people's dinks with his nine ten angels. Yeah, And everybody was like, hey, I kind of like this, Yeah, kind of like how that feels. It's pretty kind of like closing it in between the fridge and that rubber piece that the magnets in.
Speaker 1: Way better than the hood of the car. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Or when you're reaching over to squeeze you the window off at the gas station and and somebody closes the door and you get caught like where the door joint is terrible stuff. Getting it stepped on by brazilla slimy.
Speaker 1: Foot much better. The slime very key.
Speaker 2: Yes, very key, slime. Yes, yes, little buff there, don't google that slim That one might be fine, FOLI I get you probably get lots of hits.
Speaker 1: You know what I learned about this week? Dinosaur toothpaste, not a sex act. Yeah, not a sex act. Was trying to think a chemistry experiment. It's one of those things where like you mix chemicals.
Speaker 2: You've seen this before. I showed you this at a c CEO experience one.
Speaker 1: Time, colored and yeah, yeah, that was really neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of how it works with me when I like wrap a bunch of elastic bands around it.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: We're talking about different things.
Speaker 1: Ago, we went from science to freaking elastic bands. What's the next? The combination of Ryan Let's let's see what.
Speaker 2: We got here, the swarm Lord and Megas Lucia Kane.
Speaker 1: Now what do we know about them?
Speaker 2: They're both teamer they're both from Warhammer forty k. They came in the same pre con. So technically you could just take that pre con, smush it all together as you do, and then just put two guys in the commands on.
Speaker 1: There were many of these. This is the one that I picked to illustrate what you could do because I like this deck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's main commander and backup commander that you just play together.
Speaker 1: A few final Fantasy Commander decks showed up just like this.
Speaker 2: Oh did f you Alex play Eric Gorn and Aowen?
Speaker 1: He did not.
Speaker 2: Oh what a freaking chump. I know he's one chance.
Speaker 1: I know I needn't do it, as I know. I know.
Speaker 2: He shouldn't even be our friend anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I shouldn't. He's kicked out. Yeah. Was he gonna do run fast after us? No? Not on one leg. It's not man. So that was another thing that we can do. We've talked about it. Lots were like the sometimes the backup commander is a little bit more stronger, Yes.
Speaker 2: But you got to like build the deck a little bit different that the card itself has a higher power threshold, but you got to tweak the deck.
Speaker 1: But when you combine them both, oh they work really good. And I think that the people that did this actually had some like pretty effing good games. Eh you know what I'm saying. Like I heard a lot like oh, this this freaking works pretty good, and like you didn't have to do any work. Yeah, you want to show up to the Pride event next year by a pre con show up. It's good time.
Speaker 2: I love not doing work right, yeah, yeah, working, dude, Okay, I got this is my second one now of what I would do to not do any work, tell me, and it's not quite this. I would take that march as a mortar or the host of mortar pre con that I still got sealed because I'm a total freaking nerd. Open it, open it, and it's got sour on, Lord of the Rings, and it's got it's got souramon cast to spell a mass ORCS guy like combo crazy guy balls that take him O, put sour on the dark Lord and just double sour on.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck, the guys are gonna die. Doesn't that a color? No, that doesn't it a color.
Speaker 2: They're they're all grisy some that's French.
Speaker 1: What's the one that's what's the sour on?
Speaker 2: That's just red black, that is sour on the lidless eye that if you can make infinite manna, you can make your opponents lose infinite life. And if that isn't enough, you can pump your guys infinitely, then I attack you for infinite Hell. Yeah, he's in the deck too, and and sour on the Necromance or the Monto black one or be in there too. Why not can I have four partners? No, it's like only two. It's like a gang bang.
Speaker 1: Only two unless you have a what if? What if my two companion? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, what if my two partner commanders partner and I partner them with someone else?
Speaker 1: I mean valid in real life, not so much in the rules of this particular format.
Speaker 2: We need a new format, I know, we need like the we need like the I'm trying to think of.
Speaker 1: Yes questions of the people out there listening to show what if you could do, like if you have a partner's with and a partner thing and to choose a background. But you get two guys that can just go in regardless. What's the maximum number of people you can have in your command zone?
Speaker 2: Souron, souron, suron and souron. That's the answer. It's an open relationship.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I feel like because that's just an open relationship with yourself, which everybody already has, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, he's into lots of different stuff. So there's four of them and they're all it's like that movie fucking What's that Guy where the guy clones.
Speaker 1: Himself sixth day.
Speaker 2: No, it's comedy duplicity, duplicity, multiplicity, the multiplicity multiplicity, it's aoni plicity.
Speaker 1: How do I know Frickin' Batman clones himself a bunch of times? Why do I know that movie? What's wrong with Me?
Speaker 2: Multiplicity? Suroniplicity, And there's gonna be one rings on everybody's wieners and everybody's into weird stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no King shaming in the Nation. Hit the next one Ryan hit the next bunch of this is oh.
Speaker 2: You know Sin Tire of Militas and Aragorn the United This.
Speaker 1: Is our This is our boy Matto. He is a wild card of a human being to play magic with. And I wanted to make sure we got his deck in here, because like it, I don't even understand it. I don't get it. I do not understand why he did this at all.
Speaker 2: Two four color commanders and just were like, yeah, these guys are like four colors. What did he just shuffle two decks together? Because I know he has both of these decks? Did I just shuffle two decks and he's got a pilot two hundred cards and they got different fucking sleeves.
Speaker 1: On him, And I mean maybe maybe I don't even know. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: Man, if forced our runs is okay? A two hundred card deck with Airgorn and keios Kia, Keanos and t row why not be okay.
Speaker 1: Because you pick two cards that you like and fuck it, get in there right? Why not? Why wouldn't you do this?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: The first thing I'm gonna do when I walk back into into the game store, Matto says it, what's up or whatever I'm gonna say? Shut up, Mattow, And I know that he's gonna watch too, so he's gonna be expecting and he's gonna tell me to shut up. I'm not gonna be in the story yet. He's gonna be yelling down the hall. You suck that is that is the story of my life.
Speaker 1: So you can do fucking kooky ship that doesn't even make sense, Like, there's nothing here that would indicate that you would want to play off these two creatures together. No, you know what? Do it? Yep, Because in this particular case, as long as it makes you happy, it's good. Let's go to the next one. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, slime foot and oohlashed. This is a this is a jund saparling deck. I would have to assume correct.
Speaker 1: Now this is our boy, George with no j's or no g's, George with no g's, no geez, there's no g's and his name is George.
Speaker 2: Whoa Yeah, must be like Serbian or French or something.
Speaker 1: It is Serbian. I know, never seen a Serbian film.
Speaker 2: Weird, you don't watch camgirls?
Speaker 1: Then I do. I've seen a Serbian film, but he hasn't.
Speaker 2: Oh, he must not watch cam girls.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I haven't made a cam girl joking cam Girl cooking out podcast coming up.
Speaker 1: So we talked about this. So this is one of George's original decks that he plays. He plays slime foot, very stout descent deck that makes SAPs.
Speaker 2: Have we made two slime feet jokes?
Speaker 1: This show? Absolutely, we're gonna We're good. Yes, yeah. Then he added a piece of crap, a piece of chunk to it to add an extra color. So he actually took a deck that he owned and altered it with a gain. I can't stress this enough.
Speaker 2: Piece of crap oolash is good. It's like a combo finisher. Okay, so this is what it is zero zero for four.
Speaker 4: Fox starts Oh yeah, it starts off really good. Right, well done, Hellian hydra. It's gruel and two for zero zero. Okay, So Ulasta hate Seed enters the battlefield with a plus one on it for each creature you control, and a plus one on it for each other. Oh, red creature and green creature.
Speaker 2: Right, so it's like yeah, sure, at worst it's red and green. So it's a two two for four right yeah, okay, so you go one, remove a plus one from uhlasht choose one it deals one damnag start creature, or you create a one to one green sapling creature token. So if you have let's say ten saperlings, let's say nine and a slime foot because it's on curve three, and then whatever, right, uh Oulash enters and it's like a ten ten yep, and then you can pay one and make a saperlink. Pay one, make a saperlingk hey one. If you got a doubling season, if you ever heard of this card, well you can make two saperlinks. It's how I dumpstered Max Crandell. Oh my god, his ass is probably still sore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a bad day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's having a bad month because I hit him for fourteen hundred. Anyways, Ulash is good in a saprelling deck, I think.
Speaker 1: Sure, And here he actually gets to be in one, as opposed to when you would just play oulashed where he is not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I remember the days of early Commander when you wanted to play a saperling deck and you're limited to ri the awakener and white didn't actually provide you that much because there was a bunch of stuff that didn't really exist yet, like like Cathar's Crusade wasn't the thing, and all of this, like there was only a.
Speaker 1: White spoke dollars didn't exist yet all of.
Speaker 2: The limited just make one or two saprelings in Celesnia stuff from Ravenako is like all you had, so white wasn't that great? And and uhlash was the thing unless you want to go modern green. But now you got black or white or not in this case both, but fucking near both, because you still have green and slime foot is definitely good and con certainly combo.
Speaker 1: Yes, he can certainly get the job done. So it's cool to see, like again, an established deck with just a piece of garbage to try and make it good. Yes, slim today nobody gives.
Speaker 2: Up no, no, no, and slime Foot today. When that card comes down, I assume that you're probably trying to combo. Whenever a Saperlink you control dies, slime Foot deals one damage to each opponent and you gain one life and also pay for create a Saperling, so you could make infinite Manna and then sacer you could just sacrifice, gain life, pay life to draw cards. Let's say, or I don't know, sacrifice forty guys hatred and then attack for forty. Like there's all these different ways. Plus you're playing Green and Black the best two ways to tutor and or tutor creatures and or tutor things into your graveyard, which is a great way to I don't know, protein halt combo for all your aristocrat pieces and your grave crawler. Like, there's so many different things that you can do that makes slime for good. And adding Red with any of those kind of combos that I just mentioned gives you access to like I don't know, warstorm surge or perferros or impact tremors that just let you ETB deal damage.
Speaker 1: Top top end aristocrat figures. Right, Black has all the low end ones, Red has all the top end aristocrats. I like that, and Green and Red has all that burst man too.
Speaker 2: And green kind of fits into the curve wherever you want it right, Like you can make green, Green can make you go faster, or green can provide your top end if you're leaning on red and we're black to some capacity for the like the lower stuff. Yeah, I like that combination. That That one to me is like, hey, let's put some thought into what this extra color can provide and still keep me right on my same strategy. Yeah, cannot stress enough. Doubling season. You should play it in your sapper.
Speaker 1: A pretty good card. Yeah, yeah, it's fine. What do we got so this one? What this is? Our boy? F you? Smitty never heard of her has a Space Family, Goblins and Dice rolling theme deck. Okay he heard Wait any two commanders have partner? Are you kidding me? I have a blue guy that says, roll the dice right on it. It gives my deck fifty percent more cards. And he showed up with his polyhedron dice set and he went to town.
Speaker 2: He's like, the guys, the game is D and D but I'm playing magic, yes, And he's just he's just doing the thing. So he's got Space Family. Goblinson has trample as long as you've rolled three or more dice this turn, it's a one to one for four real powerful. Also, whenever you roll a die but a plus one on it and then he's got Oh man, what is the name of this card? Matt math Ice, Matt mattis, I can't read this too an, sure it's a one one for three human elf shaman in blue, So I want to take that one. Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with mount value greater than three, roll a D twenty on a one to nine, each player draws a card on a ten to nineteen, you draw a card on a twenty copy that spell. You may choose new targets. Yeah, so you just play like three and four and five drops like you weren't going to anyways. Extra cli roll and and then you rolled diye and you make your guy big and you pair that with every other dice rolling thing in grule, which is where a lot of them are. And green or i mean blue now, and blue has.
Speaker 1: Some not too bad ones itself, not not limited to ancient silver dragon.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: Roll the D twenty draw that many cards? Pretty good?
Speaker 2: Did he play that?
Speaker 1: Yes? Didn't hit anybody with it, but he tried.
Speaker 2: What a try hard? Good for him, Good for him.
Speaker 1: Right, So you're taking your janky, freaking, gimmicky, stupid deck, You're adding something to it, you're making it do more better things than it usually could. And the Surge Channeler isn't the actual card he played. He had like a Dungeons and Dragons Secret Layer card, but it was just as bullshit. So I'm not going with the cooler art. I just took the one with the cooler art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably like the Fortnite one or something. Oh yeah, yeah, because it was the diary with.
Speaker 1: The fat dragon and stuff. Yeah, it's fine, yeah, but it was just cool to see, like again, as stupid, yanky deck, like get a little bit more support, and blue is a people are gonna get mad at me. Blue is a really good support color. Oh yeah, if you're trying to support a deck and make it better, adding blue to it will typically give you some some leverage.
Speaker 2: Let me interject, then tell me I would take my blue deck. Yep, you've maybe heard of bruvac my mill deck I have. I would partner that with Phoenax, the blue black Mill guy, and then I would add black as a support color to my blue mill deck.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: And I have things like consecrated sphinx and while Bruvvac's got four toughness things with big toughness that helped me stay alive, I would add black to that help me stay alive and or reanimate my browback because you know he's wont to die, and I would make a demere mill.
Speaker 1: Deck, of course he would. Yeah. Were you in that deck where Fu g offf was playing fan X and I was playing Clones. I melt him with his own ship, Yes, you know him by copying the giant beaters the other guy at the day is playing, and then I beat him to death. The Beaters Man Clones are awesome.
Speaker 2: Yes, this message approved by your good friend.
Speaker 1: Right, I gotta get that deck going again. Hey, last one more, one more, one, one more. This is if you're watching on YouTube. This is the reason to watch on YouTube. These two cards look so good together. And this is the one deck in the building that I am confident was built specifically for the format, specifically to take advantage of the rules and to do something that you just can to do otherwise.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm gonna give him a read.
Speaker 1: This is Tallos the Friendly or the Kindly Lord.
Speaker 2: Callian the kindly Lord three four fairy Noble for black blue two. I've got it on my phone because I'm podcasting professional professional absolutely flying as telling the Kindly Lord enters the battlefield. Choose a number between one and ten sick Okay. Whenever an opponent casts a spell with man of value, power or toughness equal to the chosen number, that player loses two life and you draw a card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two or three is the number you pick, just for the record, Call your kindly lord enjoyers out there, two or three?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would pick three, I think probably. Yeah, it's good. One okay, so lose your life blah blah blah Okay. The other card is I gotta go back. I gotta go back to the watcher in the water.
Speaker 1: Here it is.
Speaker 2: This is a nine to nine for five.
Speaker 1: What I'm listening What.
Speaker 2: Legendary creature cracking enters the battlefield tapped with nine stun counters?
Speaker 1: Jesus fuck. Yeah. So every time you run on top and on tap it instead, you remove a stun counter from it. That's what stunt counters are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does not untap and you remove one from it. Okay, whenever you draw a card. Whenever you draw a card during an opponent's turn, like when they cast their three drop, that's cool. Create a one to one blue tentacle creature token. Sure, whenever a tentacle you controlled, eyes untap up to one target Kraken and put a stunt counter on up to one target non land permanent.
Speaker 1: Which is essentially moving a stun counter from Watcher in the water to your opponent's ship. Yes, what a bunch of bullshit, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But also I'm well no there. The more is, every time you play something, I'm gonna tap one of your things and I'm gonna draw a card and then I'm gonna hit you with a nine to nine and all your ship's tapped. Did this deck just ranch? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh good, until we realise like wait, hang on, hang on, guys, just a second. Are you're looking at this? Yeah? Get him and.
Speaker 2: Then Italian on four, watch her in the water on five, like tap all your stuff?
Speaker 1: Notion thief on three? Game one, Holy fuck, notion thief.
Speaker 2: Notion thief is whenever you draw I draw instead.
Speaker 1: Whenever I would draw anything but my first card. Each turn, he draws the card instead, which makes a tentacle, takes this stun counter off, moves this stun counter onto another thing. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It was crazy because you draw a card on an opponent's turn and you make a tentacle.
Speaker 1: Our boy Toby built this, another local guy very I think he's still in that phase of like he wants to find like the meanest.
Speaker 2: Yes, and yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a phase. Everybody, get over it.
Speaker 1: But that's what this. This is what he brought out. And again a great idea very well built, solid deck. And just like we said last time, like with the last combination of things where like you can kind of do whatever you want. Here's another thing. You're never gonna get a chance to do this again, so this gives you a chance to fucking do it.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: These special events are so cool when you can do things like this, and while you can do it at kitchen table and it's like yeah, house, but like, do you actually go out to the store and play a deck like this against other people who are doing the same kind of shit.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something about that. I'll tell you something about that. When you come Let's say you go to somebody's house and it's like a bunch of kitchen table players have been playing together for five or ten years altogether. There's one guy who's like, oh, this is my Italian and watcher in the water deck, and it's like, okay, cool, that's cool. You know that that guy has spent the last three or four years, ten years, whatever it is, pimping and foiling and gold fishing and tuning and tweaking that deck, and he can only play it with his friends, and they all know it's the best deck out of anybody's ownership, and he can't play it at CEDH tables and it's the best deck. Everybody knows this. They let him get away with it and jerk off a little bit. And that's the situation. When you go to an event like this and everybody has an opportunity to do something like watching the water Italian, then everybody can do it, and it's nobody's best deck. It's something that they thought would be funny or interesting or cool or something that they've always wanted to get their rocks off to, and all of that's great. And if any of it ends up being broken or not very fun. At least you got to do it, try it, have fun with it, and then it's over till next year, right, and maybe next year you do something else.
Speaker 1: And you never have to worry about it again. I think it's that if you watch the ccopre show for this exact episode, we talked about taking decks apart because people don't like them. An event like this is ideal opportunity to do something that's just brutal, because the people you play with will never have to worry about it again. Yeah, nobody is gonna go home from the Pride event to your LGS thinking, oh my god, now I gotta build this fucking deck to stop this old crap, you know what I mean. There's none of that, because you just it's a one time only deal. Everybody kind of had the same restrictions, the same opportunities. You all came up with something fun or broken or janky or cool or thematic or whatever, and you all got together and you all played it and you all had fun. But then at the end of the day, all those decks go away forever, not maybe forever, but like essentially forever in magic terms. Right, there's eighty five sets in between year and years, so new shit's gonna come out next year and you don't have to worry about it again. I think that just gives you an opportunity to be creative and do something fun and get involved in something that. I mean, it supports something too, because most of these events are in support of LGBTQ awareness and just Pride Month and fun or around here we have trash Anti.
Speaker 2: Or if it ain't that, then it's your local game story you're supporting, or it's a local charity like trash Ante that we're gonna be talking about in the next leading up to the face to Face Saskatoon event that we got coming up. There's a little teaser for next week. We're going to talk about that, probably a little bit more in depth.
Speaker 1: We have Thomas on.
Speaker 2: Oh we could if we felt like it probably could. Probably shouldn't though we shouldn't fuck them.
Speaker 1: It was fun having them on last time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you can't have too much fun. It's his magic to gather I know too much.
Speaker 1: There is a cap on fun, that's true. Yes, yes, unless you have lots of excitement, then you can have more fun.
Speaker 2: Or you play Mono blue and then your opponents can't have fun, but you can what whatever?
Speaker 1: Is it fun playing Mono Blue as a non Mono Blue player? Is it fun? Yes?
Speaker 2: You get to play ristic study and ask do you pay the one I did that into Las Vegas for like two hours. Speaking of supporting local charities, well, we're not a charity, but we are local to each other. If you want to join our Patreon, Patreon dot com slash CCO podcast, patronize us and help us keep the show going, the lights on the studio, the CCO experience and the giveaways, the prizes, and of course be part of the greatest Discord community that there is. Get your CEO nickname, all that jazz, that's good stuff.
Speaker 1: We're doing CECO our hometown experience at the end of August.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are gonna We're gonna talk about that next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on up where it's gonna be a It's gonna be a really good time. Apparently someone just come to sleep on my couch. Two separate people are coming to sleep on my damn.
Speaker 2: Coach, same coach, same coach. Are they gonna sleep on top each other?
Speaker 1: I don't care. It's a big coach.
Speaker 2: Who well, if, if and when you do that, make sure you stalk up from Fusion Gaming Online dot Com ceo promo code gonna get you a discount on the stuff you're gonna buy anyways, D and D stuff. We talked a little bit about D and D and dyce and stuff today. Play mats, cards, sleeves, Pokemon, Yu gi oh, all that stuff. They've got it all. You can spend the money anyways, you might.
Speaker 1: As well spend lash board games, play mats, yep, all that shit.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep, yep. Any final thoughts of the day.
Speaker 1: Uncle Brando, Any final thoughts of the day. Well, we kind of missed actual Pride month. But I think it's a big month around here. I don't think it is a month. I think it's a state of mind, and I think you should too. I don't want to tell anybody how to think, or how what to do or anything like that, but I think that being accepting of who people are on masks is very important because everybody's just living their lives and as long as it's not hurting you, just.
Speaker 2: I got on, I got a good day.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not a big proponent of telling people what not to do. I like to always instructor, coach, or teach by telling people what to do, what your proper way is. Don't be a dick except for pride months. Don't be a fucking asshole.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, being not an asshole. Hey, there it is. We got there. We sold all the world's problems again again.
Speaker 2: All right, we did.
Speaker 1: It, so we got there. We did it. We got there, So thanks everybody for being with us. We appreciate you hanging in there with us. We're gonna be back next week to talk about some exciting events coming up, some more new stuff, and some nor ways to build super exciting decks. On the next very exciting episode of Coomander Cookout podcast are