Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine ever dream of a life of romantic adventure. I want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: Escape designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: To night. We escape to the water front of Havana and to an underworld where men live and sometimes die by a bizarre code of their own. As Burnham Cutter tells it in his exciting story Night in Havana, something was wrong.
Speaker 3: Halfway up the street of Bias Works that evening, I realized that something was wrong. None of the regulars were to be seen. Assuredly something was wrong.
Speaker 1: But what?
Speaker 3: And then I remember that since I had decided to live an honest life, it was really no concern of mine. As I came abreast of the wide worried restaurant, I saw the Dutchman Maroo, who owned a Cavin Cruiser and who was consequently a man of some prominence in the smuggling tread. He was standing on the weighing machine neither door, slapping him with his big hands.
Speaker 1: Ah, dio, you have a penny, A penny see see.
Speaker 4: He thanks one hundred and ninety three pounds. When I reached one ninety five. I'll switched for beer to coffee. When I hit one night here I go back to beer.
Speaker 1: It's like the rise and fall of the tide in a band armor.
Speaker 4: Two pounds of beer to go. If you hit it for the cafe Moscow, I'll join.
Speaker 1: You know, hey, come along, TiO. Got a few dollars to let me I I have not seen any money in weeks. I was hoping to find a purchaser for my gun this evening. You're going to send your counci How will you live? Honestly? You attention? Why did you truck? Attention? Quite? The police? The police, lott Molina across the streets. Here's I come? Who's that pretty? Serge? You know this newly promoted, very ambitious.
Speaker 3: And no no, I missed that highlight game last night my role.
Speaker 1: I remained at home and read in stage and where you are? Why it is? Lieutenant Molina and sergeant see this one, sergeant nothing, Lieutenant, this one conceals nothing. You see I lead it and peace for life.
Speaker 4: I see that you do.
Speaker 1: Use your handkerchief deal lives bleeding. The sheep upset, I bear them know it will they have a hard life too. It is still bleeding.
Speaker 4: Yeah you can, doctor Musca.
Speaker 1: They must have been told to get someone for something.
Speaker 4: No, I help my breath doing at frisk I was afraid you might be carrying your God.
Speaker 3: I was, but when I saw them coming toward us, I put it in your part.
Speaker 1: May I have it now? Please?
Speaker 4: Yeah, But it's not what I would call honor.
Speaker 1: Apple till my U.
Speaker 3: There is so little honor in this world that one is just not able to toss it about indiscriminately.
Speaker 1: Tell me that's my lip, little bar it's beginning to swell. A malaya will be very upset. Amalia on the Mosca. We are betwel no, no congration.
Speaker 4: Come come, come, I buy your deea.
Speaker 5: Come on to the bar later, letter Brad, when now I must see Amla.
Speaker 6: You little wait oh, I tell you live ah.
Speaker 3: I did nothing, hear nothing that the police were in a tatulem more.
Speaker 1: There is nothing the police, Yes, they were here.
Speaker 6: Lieutenant wait, you give me his card, yes, Lieutenant Molina.
Speaker 1: Tell me did he mention the cause of all the ill feelings?
Speaker 6: An American tourista, A very rich one, a very gay one. She has been robbed.
Speaker 1: And so soon aw did the police chief.
Speaker 3: Let it be known that American tourists want not to be robby.
Speaker 1: Amlia. What did she lose?
Speaker 6: An emerald? An emerald of great size? She had it in her purse, left the purse in the Caffe Diablo. Still you had nothing to do with this matter, did you?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, no, my pa one. Nothing. I wish I.
Speaker 6: Had you promised to you.
Speaker 1: You're promis I know, I know, but Hamily, it is not easy to be honest. I would have been honest years ago. Could I have earned money?
Speaker 6: A little one listened to me. After each of your transactions, they have kept you in the jail. It is like my account books, one malefaction, one femin in jails. Now you own them nothing. There are no deaths.
Speaker 1: But you have a debt, the mortgage of twenty one hundred dollars on this cafe.
Speaker 6: Well, let it be little by little VI shall take.
Speaker 3: But there is my pride to consider my dove to this marriage. You bring the coffee Moscow. I bring nothing.
Speaker 1: I see you.
Speaker 6: You bring your love?
Speaker 4: Is that nothing more?
Speaker 1: In your eyes? It is much here, But in the eyes of the bank it's not. Who is this American parista who carries emeralds?
Speaker 6: In her person, and Missus Tanner she's here with her husband. They have great wealth. They come from Miami in their own cruiser. It is called the Seabird and it is almost as large as marouse to you, promise me you will not become involved.
Speaker 1: I promise that if I do, it will be within the law, little one, I will be within the law. I swear it to you. Did Lieutenant Morrina mentioned a reward?
Speaker 6: No, He said that if I acquired information concerning the Emeralds, I was to inform either him or mister and Missus Tenner at the or yeah, they will tell Floris.
Speaker 3: Well, perhaps it would be best to learn whether there is a reward and of our size sufficient to warrant time and ever, I am going to see Senior Stern family.
Speaker 6: To you, little one, I am afraid.
Speaker 1: There is nothing to fear. An honest man need never.
Speaker 3: Have anything to fear. Let me have Lieutenant Molina's car and my dog. It may help me to impress the American Yes, I, Seniel Stern, I am Lieutenant Molina of the Secret Police.
Speaker 1: In my car. Ah, well, come in, lieutenant brother. Uh tell me is there another that checked you with that name? Sames? Well, it is a common patron him like in your country. Smith. Oh uh, have you found them? Regrettably? Send your no, but I would like to talk about it. And I call my wife. She's the one who lost a knucklehead, low sail, yellow Jackie. This is Loutena Molena, the secret police. It is a great hones Senora.
Speaker 6: Did you do that?
Speaker 1: Nice Sarah? Lieutenant, care for drying? Not and you're not well on duty? That was on your mind, Lieutenant. My wife and I haven't done it.
Speaker 3: It has occurred to us, the Chief and I that although we will, of course eventually catch the thief, it will take some time. You understand, there are a thousand rat holes and rats, so many nations and much cunning.
Speaker 1: They don't have much time. It's a sterner and I are living Havana to morrow afternoon.
Speaker 3: And that brings me precisely to my point. The matter of a reward.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, not another nickel. If I can't grace the whales with seven hundred and fifty bucks, they just won't be grased. I'm a reasonable man, Lieutenant, but I'm not suck. Of course, you are not seven one hundred and fifty tucky.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the lieutenant knows this business. If he thinks civil war ought to be boosted, then boosted, I want animal, look.
Speaker 3: Lieutenant, in did the woods and all for a thousand?
Speaker 1: You say in your standard whether I go between yeah, yeah, yeah, I know how it works. Okay, call it a thousand, a thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It would not pay the mortgage on the Cafe Moscow, of course, But considering that virtue is said to be its own reward for being it was handsome.
Speaker 1: I spent the next.
Speaker 3: Two hours seeking knowledge of the Emerald, but the activities of the police had forced the best of the regulars into hiding, and I learned nothing. And then as I was walking along the Street of Souls in the Old City, a boy spoke to me from the darkness of the gateway to the ancient convent known as El Corofon.
Speaker 1: Got a matter we'd like to talk to you about him and me, oh, your pardon, I could not see your friend in the shadows. So we got a mutual acquaintance. Georgie Young. Georgie Young, I have not seen him since the profitable years of prohibition. Before we left Miami. He said to look you up if we haven't needed someone to work an angle, he give us this letter of introduction. Oh thank you?
Speaker 3: If striking match please yeah, ah.
Speaker 1: Dear friend. Deal theseos are okay, I have a deal with them, just like in the old days. Georgie. Well, you know my name? What is yours? More? Gus Moore? My name is none of your business? Stop it, Leo, his name's Leo. Watch We only been here a cube a little while. You said that you needed somebody to work an angle. Yeah, we got a shipment on a Florida coach just beyond Key West. We want it brought here tonight. There's four hundred rid please please. I am not interested in the nature of your cargo. You tell me that you are important, and that is all an honest man you know? Is it Georgie Young who provides you with the merchandise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, just like in the old days. It can be done, gentlemen. But it will cost money, of course, fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: That's highway robbery. Let me wrap him up a little. Stop Leo. Okay, Martine, it's fifteen herndred cash hundred delivered half of it now three hundred bucks. Now I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Now, well, that's all.
Speaker 1: The cash we have. How do you propose to get more? How much is this worth? The American duristas? What's so funny? Just the way is unfortunate. Sorry, you will not understand. You talk too much. Yeah, see one of my great failing.
Speaker 4: I can fix that kind of outreal.
Speaker 1: Well, how about it that rocks worth more than twelve hundred or much more? But the question is what can one unloaded for? Then me? How did you acquire this?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: The dame I picked up at a bar while the husband was dead drunk. Well, I will make the arrangements. You'll give me three hundred on the emerald. You get the three hundred now as a binder. I'll hand you the stone when you deliver it. Very well, I agree. Now you listen carefully to me.
Speaker 3: You will both meet me at the Cafe Moscow at eleven o'clock. We shall drive from there to a certain beach where we pick of the boat. Is that clear?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Leo won't meet you and you. Oh, I'm staying at the van. I gotta make arrangement sort of truck. I'll meet the boat when it comes back and hand over the emerald. Just tell me where the beach at Mariano. There's a dirt road. You can a miss this now three hours to key West, fifteen minutes to road.
Speaker 3: Three hours back to Kuba. The boat will arrive at Marion now by five tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Morning, is it? Well? Yeah, here's your three hundred much thanks.
Speaker 4: You know what I do.
Speaker 1: The champione who talk too much? Stop at leo with it. You'll meet at the Musket at eleven. It will be my pleasure.
Speaker 4: Well is that Coffield drink monro Oh, sit down, deil, shit down?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's core Field. I hit run ninety five a half hour. What's up?
Speaker 3: If you're not too busy tonight there's a little shipment to be moved in from key West.
Speaker 1: How much one thousand dollars for you? And for you only one hundred? God? What do you take? I'm stupid, you are a devil. One can hide nothing from you. Very well. I received one hundred and fifty. Easy to deal. What time do we leave? Around eleven?
Speaker 4: I'll have support many just off Guardabaco.
Speaker 1: You know what the docs ou? Yes, brings a thousand to this show. I will give you one thousand tomorrow soon after returns.
Speaker 4: Bring it towards you or if.
Speaker 1: You do not even leave, well, I will bring it with me. Good, I have some coffee.
Speaker 3: No says it is necessary now to see am Aliyah until eleven.
Speaker 7: Until eleven, he bory, little one, you were going so long.
Speaker 1: I had much business to transact, Emilie. I am working on a deal, a very big deal, so big that I need one thousand dollars to swing it.
Speaker 3: See, I have three hundred, and I need seven hundred more, Amlia, Will you learn it to me?
Speaker 1: I have but eight hundred in the whole role will lent me seven. Oh. If this deal proceeds as plain, Amalia, you and I will be married this week, and then I shall settle down as an honest cafe to you.
Speaker 6: For that, I will give all the money there is.
Speaker 1: Whereas this boat, I don't say it, impatience. Watch it's the end of the door, a dark he calls it. So trauma que quiet, please my roule, hear to you, captain my row. This is saenuel Leo Walsh. Hu. Yeah, you have some money to you. Yeah, one thousand dollars has agreed.
Speaker 3: Sen your watch will gund you to the exact Sportaky west and gentlemen, I wish you both a good You.
Speaker 1: Save your wishes for somebody else. You're coming with us, No, no, I make it it forint Never I say yeah, so does this M. I have a repugnance for guns between associates, and I don't trust people or talk so much. They're coming with us at him. You shall do what you'll say. All right, now, you skipper, think.
Speaker 4: Some tub you'll never see a foster one? How fast for knocks? All right, shove off, I'll come. Here's a quiet big mouth. Oh.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking, well, thinking that the life of honesty contains almost as much interest as the line I can formally In.
Speaker 2: Just a moment, we will return to escape.
Speaker 8: How long you've been in Pew, no matter how long twenty years, twenty months. Social Security now provides you with insurance protection with benefits which you'll get when you retire at sixty five or when you reach fifty if you're totally or permanently disabled. Social Security also represents family survivor benefits for a serviceman's widow and minor children. The full story of how social Security works is available in a.
Speaker 1: Number of different pamphlets.
Speaker 8: These pamphlets are available now in service libraries and reading rooms. They take only a few minutes to read, and the information you get will help you plan for the future. First of all, you should know what social security can mean to your family in the event of your death. And it's important to learn how many years of service you'll need to qualify for this second retirement check. Servicemen can collect social Security at age sixty five, but women, a REALTI woman at age sixty two, have you investigated your social security benefits?
Speaker 2: And now back too, Escape and the second act of night in Havanah.
Speaker 3: In three hours we were passing through the Florida Keys Ma Roe had no difficulty in following.
Speaker 1: Senue Watch's directions.
Speaker 3: There was a place where a finger of land got into the water, an old rom runner's landing base which I remembered well. A truck was waiting, and three men who came forward as we tied to the dock of rotting planks. Senior Word spoke to them briefly, and in ten minutes the heavy crates were on board and we were off again, clearing the land quietly at a low speed, and then roaring into the order.
Speaker 2: Had on hard on, hold on.
Speaker 4: I'm giving it forethoughting, relax, I lessened, squarehead.
Speaker 1: You're talking to me?
Speaker 4: Oh else, And I'd like for you to call me son, and I do it because you're so pride.
Speaker 1: How about you like a third eye? Any words, moorrow ing up enough is as far as your place once behind trouble, until then.
Speaker 9: We went to a first, led them to the squabbling, and stretched out on the bench in the cockpit, my head and my arms, gazing into the sky, and soothed by the powerful home of the engines, so steady that they were in themselves.
Speaker 1: A sort of silence. I thought of Amalia, and I was soft and comfortable she was, and that we were both at the right age of marriage, steady people who knew that what we had was worth it does in romantic flies to the man.
Speaker 3: And I thought of how now there would be a little money for the raising of the mortgage.
Speaker 1: And the cape Muscat. And then I dose, And then what's the matter? How come you cut the motor? Shut up, peel, Are you awake? Did you hear see? Or you'll binocious? But what are you looking for? Coastcott? Where are we? Merrow?
Speaker 4: About two miles off the coast between Matanzas and Obama.
Speaker 1: I see them there to the west by the same distance side. When is it time? Four twenty sun? Ride up and listen to hours Which way I was hitting? I cann't way. There's a searchlighte this. Yes, they were tipped off. They were looking for us.
Speaker 4: Somebody talked Martinez, shut up.
Speaker 1: That's right there. They're also equipped.
Speaker 4: They come to us some Chicago when they come been fished. Now, every said I got tied up on those boxes. I said, dumps a god, and I said, no, we'll run for it. This boat's passed on that one. That's just angers. They have us cut off from the open sea. If you go westly Passavannah. If you go east Matanzas. As soon as we move the radio for help.
Speaker 1: Recall and I said, we'll run for it. Now take the way of fat Boy and for it. On but on they're moving past. I come one, no, yeah, don't this does get back to the way.
Speaker 4: There for merow careful right, put away your gun sunny then where I said, show me?
Speaker 1: Will your war.
Speaker 6: Your rowing up?
Speaker 1: It's fine? Does frock like a banana stalk? No? I think jio, I hurt, I hurt lie on here let me see h well ugly row, very ugly. Help me, it was so weird. Drop the dinghy and roll to shore. I tried to make it back to Kives. You need care immediately. We'll both go to shore and the dinghy.
Speaker 3: But my boat, the course sky will turn it out to see and set the throttles.
Speaker 1: She will give him a run for the money.
Speaker 4: But when they offer takes, try the cargo says about to smile.
Speaker 3: One step at a time, a role the moment, we will do as I say.
Speaker 1: Of course, we feeds in your war to the fishes. And the dingy goes over the side, then you and I.
Speaker 3: I landed the dinghy only a short distance below the place where I'd left the car before five thirty.
Speaker 1: My row was in good.
Speaker 3: Hands, and I was at the Florida Hotel and knocking at the door of the sweet occupied by Senora Senora Sterner.
Speaker 1: At that moment, I would have surrendered all false of profit.
Speaker 3: For this night's labor and return for assurance that only Amaliah seven hundred dollars would not be lost.
Speaker 1: Ah oh, litell Malena, this is a sweet. I give you a thousand apologies, and you're only an emergency forces me to do this. We can't get your emerald. Now do you understand? Yeah, sure, sure, only we need your cruiser. You must come with me and your cruiser. And now now I assure you it is aur only chance. There is no danger. All right, I'll get dressed. I'll be waiting for you across the street in the black touring car. You come quickly, wear a dark clothes, bring the money, but quickly send you're quickly. Where are we going? We bundled the beach called marin l never heard of it, as I wouldn't pier it would be just about light enough to distinguish you arrived. Hey, you have brought the catch. Yeah, yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I have pre pay the maximums and you're one thousand dollars. They would not do it for less, so it's okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't think I could keep him down even to that my own courtesy exactly. Of course, we are almost there. I think that you had better give me the money now now it's in my right hip pocket. Looks and not help you sell? Ah much? Thanks they senor. I am sorry that our regional laxity in guarding the possessions of your wife has put you to all of these trouvel forget it. Forget it. That's one trace for the rest of the trip. I've had a loves it. Oh, I am most sorry who we naturally preferred to have it to reach. That's love cooking, that's not sure for all that was mostly too drunk to say. I have always truck Sen. You're there is more than a thousand dollars in this bucket. There is eleven hundred. Oh yeah, i'mant to tell you the thousands for the Emerald, the other hundreds for you for all of your courtesy and the tent regulations forbid me to accept Sen You're but since it would be discourage as much nights, Hey, we are past coming it as no yay, sir. There is the dog man. Hey, let me take the wheel, come out on shows blank and a light there three times I have noticed it. Hey, what are you doing? I didn't have to say no, no, no, I will back in. So and now comes the most important person. You are. Now, when I bring the boat to a halt at the dark, you almost take the wheel, keep your hand on the trouble with the motor running. And when I say to you, now, you're throwing the clutch and pull speed ahead. Do you understand? You sure? But why it's all arranged.
Speaker 3: Just you see, it is arranged, and this is the most crucial part of the arrangement.
Speaker 1: Okay, whatever you say? Time all right, you think the week. Remember, keep your hand on the front. I don't forget, he say, he comes to my mind along the door. No, remember when I see it. Now, go ahead, let's get the sobs. Sauel mar my Tina say, see everything has gone well. Westward I the way you Oh.
Speaker 4: Good, throw me a line. I got my voice, and start onload.
Speaker 1: First before you tie us up, we will conclude our affair. Huh. You'll have the emerald for me? Oh yeah, here yeah a good, go ahead, much thanks, here's our cable. Make Fastivor, I got it, o Saguel. Now, I don't why I don't have that fine, but quickly you won't have the surprise forever like Anstein. Well, I don't understand. It would soon be allow range. You led an interesting life, Malena. It has its moments. I saw you hand him the cable. I was sure i'd ripped the stern up as soon as I gave it.
Speaker 3: Trouble well, Senor, I took the precaution to buntie it on our side.
Speaker 1: First, love, loom. The sun is rising, So do you know of any satisfaction to compare with that? Accompanying a good job well done?
Speaker 3: Three days later, I was sitting at a table in the Cafe Moscow with my room. His wound still trouble, and he had as much weight a matter. He was remedying as quickly as it could.
Speaker 1: Two more peers, you better make it three visitor poaches. No, no, no, don't turn your head. He's lut Molna found my boat. You're already with the story. I was stolen while I was ill. I know not. I will testify to it. No, no, no, no, my rue, I have lost my taste for reading. I now spend most evenings of the highlight games, and I find that arrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they ahi found a boat that belongs to you. Do you have so many that one may be lost without your feeding the necessity of reporting. I've been ill, I've not been down to the hob as the sweet days. I have a question to ask ask it said they found several large crates on board. Did do you know what we discovered in them?
Speaker 1: Scrap metal? Scrap metal?
Speaker 4: Use it for balanced.
Speaker 3: You're careful, you see, see to celebrate my wedding, which, of course this afternoon.
Speaker 4: So I have heard you are going to lead it on this life deal.
Speaker 3: See see, I have been experimenting with it, and I find that it suits.
Speaker 4: Where keep it confidential, otherwise the budget for the police department may be caught to the bone.
Speaker 1: Good vile, go with God. What he said screets contained scrap metal. I'm not surprised.
Speaker 3: In the order my friend Georgie Young said to me. He wrote that he was in on a deal just like in the old days.
Speaker 1: Well, in the old days he saw many a bootlegger barrels of whiskey would contain only water. Oh, in that way, you see, he did not break the law and may be said to have earned his money honorably, as I may be said to do to you call holding a cafe earning money on all play, Well, it depends on the clientele.
Speaker 3: And in that respect, Maroe, perhaps it would be better after the wedding, of course, if you took your customers were suppose I tell yousep from now on, I will be as parmis as you yourself.
Speaker 1: Will you let me patron ass far hope gladly Maru, but of course I will be doubly watchful of the gosh radios.
Speaker 2: Escape is produced and directed by William M. Robson tonight we have presented Knight in Havannah by Burnham Carter, adapted for radio by Walter Brown. Newman featured in the cast, where Tony Barrettisteo, Alan Reed as Maru and Janet Nolan as Amelia and Missus Turner. Also heard were Ted von ELTs, Bill Conrad, Jeff Corey and Jack Webb. Good Night then until the same time next week, when once again we offer you escape.
Speaker 8: Escape has come to you through the worldwide facilities of the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television Service.