Speaker 1: You're listening to an air Wave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Is cryptozoology is science? Surely, searching for the solution the mysteries is part of science. But is scrypto zoology or is it something else?
Speaker 3: Is it just a game?
Speaker 2: The intersection of science and cryptozoology will be discussed in the next two episodes of Monster Tongue. In this episode, Part one, featuring doctor Darren Nash, it's actually.
Speaker 4: Quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 5: A giant hairy creature party part of mat in Larkness, about twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. If the creature known as the Lucknest Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and together with my co hosts doctor Karen Stolesnow and Ben Radford, we talk about monsters, science and the vast landscape of mystery where such stories grow. Today, we're happy to have a well known figure in the world of science and cryptozoology, doctor Darren Naish. This is the two part look at the intersection of cryptozoology and science, and in our next episode we'll be talking with some other voices on this topic. Benjamin Radford wasn't able to be a part of this interview, but he plans me back next episode. This is a media interview with surprising information, and so we'll get started right after these messages.
Speaker 3: This is an EVP I recorded last night.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm a ghost?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 2: Can't possibly ignore that type of Hey, who are you?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: EVPs are the result of paradolia and cross modulation.
Speaker 2: Combined with the listeners hopes and expectations. What does this have to do with science? I think you just got skeptically pooned. Well, gotta see.
Speaker 3: You now, skeptically pound dot com in the next.
Speaker 2: Space.
Speaker 3: The Galctic universe is comprised of literally dozens of stars and hundreds of galaxies. Man has waited millions of late years for the infinite raison the Cosmos to reach us, yet it can all disappear in a parsek the distances. You have no idea what you're talking about? Do you?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: Galactic universe? Dozens of stars, parsec and light years as measurements of time.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know what?
Speaker 3: You need to go to the star party? What the Atlanta Skeptics star party? What's that? You really are clueless here read this? Okay, let's see. Please join the Atlanta Skeptics on Thusday, September second, twenty ten for stargazing food, drinks, and amazing conversations billed at the Emery Math and Science Center in Atlanta, Georgia. Astronomers Pamela Gay and Fraser Kane will be hosting this amazing night. Ooh, I love those guys. Oh yeah, keep going. Pamela and Fraser will be leading guests and exploration of this guy is using the observatory at Emery. A musician, podcaster and science lover George Roun will also be providing entertainment. Who's that? Never mind? Keep reading. This event is an honorable Jeff Medcalf, the blue collar scientist. Jeff succumbed to liver cancer in two thousand and eight, and the whole proceeds will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in Jeff's name. Nice No, yes, yes, indeed, keep reading. For those attending Dragon column, this is the night before the craziness begins. Go to Atlanta Skeptics dot com slash star party for full information. Remember two meteorites don't make a meteor role. Don't add anything. Just read Sorry. The Atlanta Skeptics Star Party with Pamela Day, Fraser King, and George rob Thursday September second, at seveno thirty pm. You gonna go oh yeah, just make sure you listen. Mostly Cool Cool Atlanta Skeptics dot com slash Star Party.
Speaker 2: Monster Darren Nash is a paleo zoologist, a freelance author, and a science writer at the Tetrapod Zoology column on Science Blocks. He's affiliated with the University of Portsmouth. He obtained a degree in geology and then gained a PhD in vertebrate paleontology at the same institution. He mostly works on Cretaceous dinosaurs and pterosaurs, and quote also messes around with swimming giraffes, fossil marine reptiles, British big cats and stuff like that. Darren, welcome the Monster Talk. What's your personal take on cryptozoology and how did you get associated with that area of studying.
Speaker 4: There's something I've always been interested in, and I've always seen it as part of my kind of broader interest in zoology as a whole. I'm still kind of unclear on exactly how I feel about it, whether even using the term cryptosology is a good thing because of the associations that has with pseudoscience and such. But at the moment, I would say my feeling is that a lot of qualified biologists and zoologists who to do normal everyday biology or zoology actually do do cryptozoology because by definition, cryptosology is meant to be the study of species known from anecdotical evidence. And if you look at the roster of creatures alleged creatures that crypto's orders are interested in, they're not all lake monsters and man like apes and so on. That they do include fairly dull, small creatures that don't you know, the normal scientists wouldn't have a problem with. So I actually think I think there's a substantial overlap between normal zoology and cryptos ordy. But yeah, the fact that the term is so often associated only with monster hunting and lake monsters and fast question and so on, I think I think that is a problem. So yeah, I kind of I find it annoying. There's many subjects where I sort of sit on the fence and I can't beside, you know, what I think is the best perspective and a non particular issue. I still haven't made them my mind. I don't mind you know, saying that I do cryptozoological re surgery, then saying sometimes that I am a cryptos ugist, but that you know, with the caveat that you can be a proper scientist if I may use that term and do cryptos already, and you can be a cryptos audist and actually do proper peer reviewed science. That's the term cripers ordist and cryptom and cryptus algy, Yeah, they are. They are kind of problematic terms.
Speaker 1: And Darren, do you think that there is a distinction between cryptozoology and it's no biologyth no biology?
Speaker 4: Well, that's just I think. I think that's quite a useful term. But it's kind of kind of replacing crypto's orgy, and it doesn't really seem to mean anything particularly different so far as I understand. It just means investigating the creatures that are purported to exist, so so again anecdotal creatures, so you know, feel free to tell the otherwise I'm maybe missing something here, but I can't see that it's really any different from conventional cryptos orgy.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's the case, Well, that's.
Speaker 2: A good question. I've noticed several people with PhD's referring to ethnobiology, and it seems to parallel the way I've always thought of cryptozoology, and I wondered if maybe it was a more reputable term, maretical term.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is, you know, you can you can see in some quarses there's a move to kind of make a kind of more scientific terminology, like another example of the term cryptid. Everyone closes around nowadays, and it's almost it's almost kind of become okay to okay, we might not the people that are interested in cryptos orgy. They're not necessarily saying that I believe in, you know, naming your favorite mystery animal, because you don't want to put your neck on the on the block and say I am advocating the existance of the locks, monsters, ascut or whatever. But it seems to be okay to talk of cryptid. And the concept of the cryptid is kind of like a crystallized you know, you've kind of basically got the basic features of a species that you're saying actually exists. And should we really be playing the hard and far should we be talking in that kind of black and white language when we don't really know that we're pursuing real quitas in the first space anyway. Yeah, I think the term s no known and s no biology they might be part of the same kind of problem.
Speaker 6: People trying to make.
Speaker 4: Sometimes make this out to be more solid than it really is.
Speaker 2: Is there, so go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask for the question, is there a more scientifically acceptable term than cryptid that's around?
Speaker 4: No, there isn't that.
Speaker 6: There's currently a debate going on right now.
Speaker 4: There's a few responses floating around in the literatature. None of this is published yet, but there are people who are just arguing that we shouldn't use.
Speaker 6: The term cryptid at all because it because it just implies that, you know how, there's this long history.
Speaker 4: In Crypto's orgy of people coming up with different classification schemes for all of the sea monster sightings in the world, all of the law monster size things, all of the mystery primate sightings, and then grouping them into distinct little categories, and you say, you've got, you know, species A and species B or whatever.
Speaker 6: Once you start kind of doing that, you're and you call.
Speaker 4: These you know, if people normally call these little categories cryptids, you're kind of crystallizing the idea that you've got like a real tangibile entity there, and in most cases there's probably you know, we're probably we haven't gone that far down the road until, you know, we're probably not ready to do that. So yeah, myself and Charles Practice and who's the fisheries ecologe is very interesting in crypts already, and Michael Woodley, who's a molecular ecologist who also has an academic interest in cryptos ordy. We're having a debate about these subjects at the moment and they will appear in the literature. And yeah, we're going to be holding a conference in a couple of years that's hoping to address this subject as well. So yeah, my thoughts on it crystallized.
Speaker 1: But once a new species has been found that's been referred to as potentially a cryptid, would you still call it a cryptid that has been proven to exist or would you not use that term anymore?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, the idea is.
Speaker 4: That the cryptid is the name you use for it when it's only known anecdotally, and then once supposing it becomes verified to the procuring of a specimen or whatever, then no longer is it encrypted. But a lot of animals that I'm sure you've heard this before. This is in all the books, and you know this is quite well known. So anyone interested in cryptos already a lot a lot of animals that are officially recognize today. People always talk about your IDIA copy in the Canudo Dragon, So they were cryptids historically. So I'm interested in the idea that, yeah, some things today were cryptids in the past, and if you're writing about the knowledge of those animals prior to that official discovery, should you actually be referring to the now as cryptids? So Wards, for example, was the should you regard the akapi as a cryptid prior to its nineteen oh one discovery?
Speaker 6: And I kind of think you should.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, if it's if you're investigating an organism that's no name from anecdotal data, well, crypto's aordy is the investigation of anecdotal data, and cryptids are the names for those entities. So yeah, I think the terms, I think the term cryptos audy encryptids probably should be more widely used. But like I say, as I said at the start, that there is this unfortunate implication that that this, this, this link that Cryptus already has with stuff that's not exactly mainstream science.
Speaker 2: Our show comes from a very skeptical position, you know. But and it sounds like you yourself are using a lot of caution in your terminology. So do you consider yourself to be a skeptic cryptids in general?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, well, I hope so I try and.
Speaker 4: Be skeptical about kind of everything. I would say that I certainly fall into the trap of favoring certain ideas because I, you know, personally find them appealing.
Speaker 6: But then we all I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in terms of my approach to mystery animals cryptos already, my approach has always been that, you know, go where the evidence takes you, and we certainly as scientists, should be looking at the evidence empirically and you know, not being guided by our prejudices or preconceptions or whatever. So let's say I'm interested in investigating sea monster, cabrosaurus or sasquatch or whatever. I'm you know, there's there's data to look at. That data can include a witness, accounts and trys or you know, so in our readings whatever, you don't have to have any preconceived conclusion. You can you can analyze that data and see where it takes you. And I would certainly say that for some mystery animals, my feeling at the moment is that there's the implication from some of the data that real things are there. But for many other cases, the evidence is one thing. But you know, if you're interested in investigation of the evidence, if you're interested in this, you know, approaching this from a scientific point of view, that's fine. And even if even if all of the eyewitness data is nonsense and you know that there really isn't an animal at the bottom of the reports, and there certainly our mystery animals around the world where that is the case, I still think, you know, scientists should be really interested in those cases because we can learn so much about things like witness perception, witness bias, things like why do people want to believe these animals? Are they seeing something else and making a perfectly rational misinterpretation. Those are really good questions and there are huge interest to well, not only people interested in cryptos audy, but psychologists and sociologists and stuff. So so cryptus audio I think has a lot to tell us, not only about diversity in the natural world, and so on but also about our own approaches to the natural world, how we study it, and yeah, a lot of stuff.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 2: One of the questions I think about it quite a bit is cryptozoology in the hands of trained scientists versus cryptozoology in the hands of the amateur Is their value? Is their value in the amateur cryptozoologists not just the armchair but the people who you know, they have a day job of whatever, and then they but when they get a chance they go down the Amazon, are they Yeah, they got a thieland Er to bed.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, And to be honest, that is the majority of people who call themselves cryptos autists.
Speaker 6: That that is, you know, their approach. And I've always said that.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously I can want to found Hiragan. You know, I've become technically qualified and you know, have a lot of proper perspective and in terms of in terms of being able to employ critical thinking and this kind of stuff. And you know, if I'm interested in evaluating reports, I won't write a popular book on it. I just think about putting it into the periviewed literature. I think that even if we encourage scientists and more scientists to look at cryptos orgy kind of scientifically, that does not in any way tominish the role that the amateurs can can play. And I mean, for a start, all of the evidence that the data that's now been analyzed by by scientists, qualified scientists, has almost all of it been collected by people who would regard themselves as kind of well, they might think of themselves as scientists. Have had this discussion with Lauren Coleman actually that they're not you know, they're not pretending to be above their station. They know that the they're kind of like amateur scientists, if you like, they don't have a university position or whatever. I do think that sometimes we do have to kind of rain them in or encourage kind of more critical appraisal of the way they come to conclusions and also to be more cautious in terms of what they're prepared to conclude, because I mean, I always say that one of the biggest problems with cryptos orgy is not necessarily with the kind of raw data, the eyewitness data that we that we have, but it's the conclusions that people build on the data. There's there's there's a thousand you know, hypotheses and idea about that in the kryptodological literature about all manner of creatures surviving from prehistory or coming from different dimensions.
Speaker 6: Or you know the name it.
Speaker 4: Every conceivable idea has been out there, and I think I think that is the problem. It's like what you're if you if if you're an interested amateur, you're out there, you know, finding historical records of Bigfoot, or collecting eyewitness reports from people first hand, or even going out there in the field and you know, investigating.
Speaker 6: The cases that that's brilliant, that's really worthy work.
Speaker 4: You know, we need we need more of that. But it's the conclusions that the people sometimes reach that I think don't really do us any favors. Yeah, the crypts algy definitely does stuff from that, it also suffers from the kind of people that it attracts, by which I mean there's this kind of I'm really I'm really bothered by the by the creationists who seem to have quite a large spoken cryptos orgy these days, and I don't really understand what can be done about it. Some people say that, you know, we shouldn't be prepared to do anything about it, but that you know, as a as a scientist, with biological, toological and you know, palaeontological interests and really makes me very unacted.
Speaker 2: Well, you're people who have this interest don't like to see their their hobby or or their passion repurposed for decidedly unscientific reasons, right, So yeah, that's it's it's troubling to me too. It's a frequent theme here, and it's something that a lot of people, even you know, we're involved in the skeptics community, but a lot of people in skepticism don't understand how deeply creationists, Young Earth creationists especially are entrenched into cryptozoology, especially anything to do with extant dinosaurs or you know, marine reptiles, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Darren, have you had any personal encounters with these people with these creations?
Speaker 4: Really, I'm sorry to say. I was having a discussion just just sorry, discussion is the wrong term. I was having an exchange just a couple of days ago with I think it's called James Witkom, a guy who who's written a book on the rope put this alleged parasol like from New Guinea and like similar minded people, he's you know, fairly convinced that the eyewitness evidence indicates firstly that you've got this animal and it looks, you know, in this case, it's got a twenty foot wing span, it's bioluminescent's got a long tail, breaths fire or something. So the first of all, they think there's that real animal. Secondly, they think that it can be identified as very specifically in this case, as a surviving terrosare. And thirdly it's kind of all linked with their particular view of history. I don't want to say evolutionary history, because obviously they reject the reality.
Speaker 6: Devolution and all.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, it's like where do you start because the okay, something like the suggestion terroritors might be alive from the palaeontological record is a non start, but it can be very confident that that's really not the case or there's certainly there's no evidence that might support it. But in cryptos algy, the more important thing is is the eyewitness evidence that should be your kind of you know, your core data. And in all these cases where people have built these huge hazards of cards, the eyewinness data is really poor. Certainly, you know, okay, maybe there's a suggestion that there might be some unusual creature at the bottom of this. That's probably the case with many cryptological entities. But you're really going too far in saying that it's the particular creature that they that they want it to be. These these stories from them from New Guinea about living terodactyls and stuff are pretty poor. They come from extremely unreliable sources. They're often extremely vague, you know, people seeing lights at night and saying that it's a bioluminescent terodactyl.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't need to you know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know I haven't actually talked to many people on that side of the argument. I'd like to ask them how effective those tools are for conversion, you know what I mean. I mean, I've seen plenty of cryptos while it's interested in Bigfoot, but I've never been offered a Bigfoot gospel tract.
Speaker 6: You know, just oh well, they're probably do as obviously.
Speaker 4: I live in the UK, so I'm not affected by creationism and creationists as much as as you probably are. I find it interesting that being interested in animals and working on prehistoric animals in particular, I think that that well Pain told us in particular, I really seem to be kind of on the front line in terms of creationists. I've been a conferences and exhibitions and stuff where you actually have creationists to come up and engage you in discussion because they see the skeleton of the dinosa or the terrorists or whatever, and that's kind of like their hook, but sort of the kind of first thing to like attack you with, because you know, it's a the obvious thing. There's no there's no pretending that. Let's say you see the skeleton of a dinosaur in many cases be half that might be reconstructed, you know, and I'm sure you understand how the reconstruction is done entirely kind of in a sensible logical way, you know, you look at related animals or whatever. But that's their kind of like first point of attack. Come in, say, oh, you've you've fabricated.
Speaker 6: Evidence or whatever.
Speaker 4: But then within like five minutes of the conversation they're talking to you about things like they somehow I've experienced several times they start talking about things like, you know, the age of the earth and the function of the brain and humans and basically things to do with you know, the plate the specific place of man in the universe, and and it just occurs to me, like, why are you talking to a palaeontologist about these questions?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 4: This? Okay, we can answer those questions, we can have a discussion if you're like that, But you should be talking to you know, geneticists or psychologists or people who work on brain anatomy, brain function, that kind of thing. And they don't do that. I've noticed they don't do that. They attack what they see as any easy target, palientology.
Speaker 6: So so I don't know, Well, I've spoken to I remember.
Speaker 4: Talking to an animal behaviorists colleague of might you know what what his approach was with with creations. He lives in Canada and he just never had any experience with them whatsoever, Whereas I, as a palent oldist, feel that, like you know, actually get a lot of interaction with them. So yeah, maybe it's a good point. Sorry, that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: I hadn't thought of that before that. You guys are always the ones who are bombarded with these claims and questions.
Speaker 6: Well, that's right, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure you're aware of these museums that have been built specifically creationist museums.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, museums and.
Speaker 4: Scare quotes, and they are entirely you know, dinosaur dioramas like Jesus riding on a bronze saurus, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: They aren't about.
Speaker 4: They don't have a wing devoted to the human body or the anatomy of the brain or genetics or whatever. It's all like the Garden of Eden and prehistoric animals and Trannosaurus wrecks a watermelon, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, maybe you have a.
Speaker 4: More negative yewn it than many baldiests. But but then, like I say, cryptos already does seem to have this strong link with growth creationism, and it's difficult to know what to do about it. It does tarnish the subject as a whole.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some of the cryptids out there that people claim to see. Which ones do you think are the most plausible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I'll say to start with that, I think it's pretty likely, and I assume in my experience most people kind of agree with me, whether they're interested in cryptos order or not. I would say that there are large animals in the oceans that remain to be discovered. I think we can be pretty confident about that. Because we still find new sharks, rays, whales. Relatively recently, you've got you know, new species that have been named within the past couple of years. Every study that's ever been done of looking at discovery ropes over time, they all find, you know, people generate these graphs plotting discovery over time, they all find that there are more discoveries yet to come. Numbers range from anywhere between I think five and fifty. So there's everyone agrees, there's some, and then there's there's a really good body of eyewitness reports, some of which are extremely trustworthy as in they come from you know, qualified biologist to people have got a lot of experience of looking at marina and judging differences that kind of stuff. So I think there's new things to come in and see, but what they are well that I can't answer.
Speaker 6: This kind of you know, linking back.
Speaker 4: To what I said magic earlier about cryptids and the idea that you've got like distinct little category secreture people have ever since Bennard Houberman's books of the fifty and sixties, people have tended to kind of think that there's like, you know, certain distinct species of a distinct species of long bodied fisher distinct species of crocodile like mareen reptile. We can't we can't really go that far at the moment. So as to what these animals are, I really don't know, but I think but I think there are some. So that's kind of a loose, easy answer to begin with. As for others, well, at the moment, one I would say that I'm what's the right word, and I don't want to say impressed that.
Speaker 6: I want to say.
Speaker 4: Confident a creature that I do find particularly interesting, and I do think it's very likely. I think it's fairly likely that we might establish this reality fairly seen. Is rang Pendeck this Redford hominid from the Borneo and perhaps Sinatra in other places?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah, I would not have guessed you would have thought that. So is it really you find the evidence compelling?
Speaker 4: Well, I have some inside data se.
Speaker 2: Oh hello, okay, detail, Well, what how.
Speaker 6: Much can I say?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I think again the oe witness evidence is pretty credible, comes from pretty good sources, and seems fairly consistent. So on, And there's there's some hair data, and there is actually a paper in the works describing and analyzing the hair which I'm sure this is going to sound very familiar if you know the sasquat stritsurance such.
Speaker 6: But yeah, without you know, I do.
Speaker 4: Not want to sound too confident. At the moment, I'm thinking that there's reasonable ground that this is actually a real animal. It is a real undiscovered homonid. But time will tell, and we have to get some things in the peer of viewed literature first.
Speaker 2: Well, that is exciting, I have to say, because as a skeptic, I am also a huge enthusiast for crito zoology, or otherwise I wouldn't be doing the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is a really important point.
Speaker 4: I've heard you make it before, but people, well kind of.
Speaker 2: You can give it lib service without actually meaning it, right, Okay, No, finding a living homine or even just a different kind of ape is super That's awesome. So do you think the hair they have they I don't know how much you know about the quantities they've uncovered. We whatever our very first episode, we talked to Todd Dissotel, who does extensive DNA analysis, and he said, at the current times they can do something like fifty percent of the time they can get DNA from the hair without the root. So do you know if the hair samples they're looking at have they have they taken.
Speaker 6: It to that level or there are plans to do that next.
Speaker 4: At the moment the analysis has been done is on just gross morphology, but even that certainly very I kind of want to imply that it's compelling, but that's probably a little bit too strong. But yeah, the next thing to do is to see if if DNA can be extracted. But I've heard conflicting reports on how easy it is to get DNA out of.
Speaker 6: Hominid hairs.
Speaker 4: There's there's some data indicating that it's really hard to get it out of gorilla hairs, for example. So but but yeah, no, certainly that's that's that's planned. There aren't there aren't many hairs. There's a handful of them, and they have been compared to well, certainly all of the native mammals, like you know, the known species like cats and civets and bore and human sure, sure, yeah, and yeah, I shouldn't say anymore because this is this is a work in progress.
Speaker 2: And you'll excite our listeners for sure, right.
Speaker 4: Cool, Well, yeah, you watch the space that it would be fairly easy to pretty much make a career out of publishing the technical research on cryp zoological data, if only there were the time and the funding and stuff, and you know, and if you were dedicated to that alone. I think, I mean, I've got like two or three things on the go with with several in the background, and yeah, there's there's there's a lot of work to do. But yeah, the orang pendic thing, it's it's it's going along in the background. And yeah, that's that's a crypti that I consider at least moderately reasonable.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, I was going to ask to prove something like that, Orn Pindick, what sort of further evidence would you need to prove it?
Speaker 6: I mean, you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't be able to prove it unless you obviously had had a dead one and DNA profile and and so on, because because even with describing any species from bits and pieces, even if even if you had data as good as let's say, a complete limb or a skull, you still wouldn't convince the majority of people in the community. And that's fairly reasonable, you know, I don't expect to expect it to be any other way.
Speaker 6: All you can do at the moment.
Speaker 4: With a small amount of data like hairs and so on that you know, small basi data, you can you can put the idea out there and say, look, this disappears to be here from a hominid. It's not from an orangutan, but it's similar to rang down. It's not from a human. It seems to be from an unknown, an unknown hominid. And you could say, yeah, you could say the same for species that you that you describe on the basis of you, like a skull or whatever.
Speaker 6: So it's kind of.
Speaker 4: One step closer.
Speaker 6: But no, you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't all of a sudden convert every skeptical zoologist, and I wouldn't expect it to be that way, you know.
Speaker 2: But but finding a good hair profile and then if they were able to extract DNA and it showed comparable to what they would expect for an unknown primate, that's awfully compelling, I have to say. But I'm still probably good. Yeah, I want to see the body, you know, are the live specimen. We don't have to kill it.
Speaker 4: But that's a trippy subject to kill on to kill, isn't it? But not just for your token cryptids. But but for for new species in general. I mean, I personally don't like the idea of killing animals. I don't think people should just go out and kill things for you know, not for just collecting, but well, yeah, you absolutely need to and for something like like Bigfoot. How would you ever convince anyone unless you did kill it and the death of one individual. We're talking hypotheticals obviously, but let's say, let's say big is real.
Speaker 6: Let's say you kill one.
Speaker 4: You've got to kill it in order to demonstrate to everyone that it's that it's real. No amount of anecdotal evidence, no amount of you know, video footage or.
Speaker 6: Little bits of data, hairs or whatever it.
Speaker 4: Is gonna is going to convince people enough to really make a difference. And the implications of some of these alleged creatures and sasquatches top of the list, the implications are huge if if they did exist. I mean not only in terms of how people think about themselves and where we fit, where our species fits in the natural world, but also in terms of conservation, environmental protection, economics. I'm sure you've heard these stories from uh John Binn and Able talks about them in his book that supposedly loggers and not supposed.
Speaker 6: Not to report.
Speaker 4: Sasutch sasquatch I things because because let's say it's real, then it could have a huge impact on where people can log. So yeah, some some some animals of cooks a lot of an interest could have just the most astounding impact, should they should they prove to be real.
Speaker 2: The thing about Bigfoot is, I think the killer don't kill. The one risk is that it's someone in a suit, right, And but but as far as the if you look at the number of claims, right, that that implies since they're in every state of Hawaii according to the sidings.
Speaker 6: Hawaii as well.
Speaker 4: People say that, you know, I think Hawaii has a hairy hominid of some sort.
Speaker 6: Really, I'm sure I've read it in the literature. Yeah, even a place in the world that doesn't have a hairy hominid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well right that that that makes me suspect even more that it's more of a psychological thing than well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know that people claim to have seen these kinds of creatures in Europe, as in Spain, France, the UK, and there's there's one there's one report from South Antarctica. I mean, it just It just seems that the kind of motif of the the sort of man a hybrid, the hairy hairy monster man ape thing just does seem to be a thing that goes everywhere with us. It's kind of like part of our sort of cultural baggage. And maybe that's because we're all programmed to see the human shape, you know, everywhere we look.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I certainly think there is a big kind of socio cultural, psychological kind of component to the to the phenomenon doesn't mean there isn't a biological signal in there as well.
Speaker 1: And I was just curious to find out where are the claims coming from.
Speaker 7: In the UK.
Speaker 4: There's a place called Bolum Lake somewhere in northern England. Oh, dear mondre Preece, is it really want to let me down there?
Speaker 3: I think it's some forest areas and that's right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we're talking about a handful of sightings and again, you know, imagine sightings and quotes there. But it's I think it's kind of like a friend of a friend's stories. But a few years ago now it did actually get quite a lot of media coverage, people claiming to see this black garrida like creature running around in the woods, and there was there was a photograph taken of one. And forgive me, because this may not actually be the same case. I can't pretend to follow this in great detail, but there was a photograph.
Speaker 6: And that did turn out to be a hoax.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I don't think anybody really takes these seriously. The same for this the Spanish and French startings and so on, that they can be used two to kind of throw a bit of sort of cold water on the fire when people are talking about you know, it kind of helps to it sort of shows that we have to be careful and you know, be really cautious in like, you know, the idea that these things.
Speaker 6: These things everywhere.
Speaker 4: I mean this this came up a lot in discussion lately on my blogsp when we were talking about the yowie in Australia. I mean, for many people that's kind of a real, real problem. The idea that there might be a big Foot like animal living in Australia just seems utterly ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And in the Blue Mountains.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and again you know, not just not just in the kind of sensible places as well.
Speaker 7: But yeah, well you know in Australia, I was gonna say, Australia also has the the people who spot thyla scenes, which I would love to be still alive.
Speaker 2: That'd be fantastic unless I was a chicken farmer or something, But I mean, in general, I think having thilets can still be alive would be great. So that reminds me of the the idea of seeing something that ought not be there but is a perfectly real animal, right so, a lot of times, or at least I guess in what sort of maybe in the late nineties, the alien big cat phenomena seemed to really get the UK. You mentioned it when we were doing our correspondence that that that seemed like a plausible thing and at least it's a real animal. What are your thoughts about the alien big cats?
Speaker 4: We can be absolutely confident that we have here in the UK. We definitely have more than one species of non native cat running around in the countryside. We actually seem to have jungle cats, which this is an animal of northern Africa, the Middle East and all the way across Asia to India and Style. It's not very big, it's any about a third larger than a domestic cat. Then we definitely have leopard cats, which are similar sized spotted cat from Asia, not to be confused with the leopard, it's called the leopard cat. We definitely sometimes have lynxes, which again is about you know, say, four times the size of the domestic cat, And we seem to have pumas and leopards as well. It sounds ridiculous to claim that all these animals are there.
Speaker 6: I'm confident they are there because.
Speaker 4: For jungle cats, leopard cats, lynxes, and pumas, we have dead ones. We have animals that have been hit by cars or have been shots. They still exist, they're in museums, or they've been photographed before they were buried. And the field evidence that we have, and that includes photographs and video footage as well as tracks and hairs, is absolutely our livestock kills and kills of deer and of animals absolutely absolutely compelling. I've got no doubt about this at all. And we're now at the start of the stage where people are putting this stuff into the proper literature. There was a paper published and last year and I think it was a Journal of Archaeological Science, on tooth pit data. So this archaeologist Ross Cole, I think he's called, he became interested in the idea that there might be alien big cats. I really hate the term alian big cats because it's attached because obviously people when they hit alien they think of you and those and stuff, so it's got like a bad connotation. But these animals might be there. If they are there and they're responsible for, you know, killing sheep on Dartmore or whatever, then you should be able to find evidence for their bimarks on bones. He collected a huge number of bones from I think it was whales, and compared to the bite marks with those of all the known carnivorans, so with red foxes and badgers and fell dogs and whatever. And he did find a sample of bite marks on bones and in the UK that match leopards and humors.
Speaker 6: So and the evidence is the evidence is just is just so good.
Speaker 4: I think anyone who now kind of denies the existence of non native cats in the UK is either not aware of the evidence at all, or they are deliberately being difficult. And some people, certainly in kind of conservation bodies, are kind of deliberately saying these animals aren't there for whatever reason, And in a way, I kind of think it isn't a big deal because we know, again, we know without doubt that even the most exotic specialized cat can escape in the British countryside. Britain isn't a particularly difficult place to live for a cat. It doesn't suffer from any extremes of climate, and there's plenty of things to kill, tenny of places to hide if you're in the right areas. We know these animals can escape, they can hide out, they may disappear, they may get shot. And when I said this, you know this is the case for even the most specialized cats. I say that because a clouded leopard, which is not a leopard's distinct kind of big cat, famous for its very long tail, it's got really long canine teeth, and it's famous for being particularly our bory are very good climber. One of those escaped from how At Zoo, and I think it was nineteen seventy five. This is the most specialized, the most tropical of the big cats, and it lived in the world for I think it's about a year until it was eventually shot, and it was perfectly healthy. It was in good condition. It has been killing and eating sheep.
Speaker 6: And if the.
Speaker 4: Clouded leopard can do that, well, why it's basically no surprise at all. The animals like pumas and leopards, which are the ultimate generalists. I mean, they can live everywhere and they do. You know, tumors are found from the tip of southern South America right, that's you know, the fin off of Canada. There's just no problem with these animals making the living once they get out. All they have to do is get out. And again we've got a good days in showing that people have not only deliberately released them over time, but also the animals escape fairly regularly from zoos that maybe aren't.
Speaker 6: So good, but also from really good zoos.
Speaker 4: I could discuss cases I know of in recent years where people have been expensive and new enclosures for leopards, but there's one little thing they haven't thought of, and the cat has been able to exploit that and escape. And in those cases they've sometimes lost the cat and it's just gone and they never see it again. So that, in a nutshell is my general thinking about British Greek can Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's a lot more positive than the documentaries I've seen on it. That's really interesting. So wow, I'm going to have to go find some of these accounts and look at the literature a little closer.
Speaker 4: Well, the problem is, I'll say, is that okay, everything, well much of this stuff I've just told you that actually doesn't exist in the literature. I think that the people interested in British big Cats kind of full time, you know, if they're like main sort of passion. This does link to some of the stuff we were talking about elier On. I think they've actually done a really poor job in actually making this data well known, and they certainly have done a terrible job in getting it into the literature. Now, I do appreciate that, you know, as a publishing scientist, in my perspective on this is is kind of different from theirs. Because if I discover something new, if I see you know, whatever it is, you know, something come interested in a new specimen or a new bit of behavior or whatever, I immediately think, you know, well there's a little paper there might not only be a day's work, you know, two page paper. You can publish it very easily, particularly something to do with animal behavior.
Speaker 6: Or a new record.
Speaker 4: You can there's so many little like biology magazines or journals or whatever, you can easily get these things out there. Nobody's done that with this huge pile of data on British big cats. And I've actually been to there's an annual meeting that's held in this country on the British big cat phenomenon, and I've said at this meeting, you guys have.
Speaker 6: Got to work hard up to get your stuff in Journal's like there's.
Speaker 4: A thing called British Wildlife which is read by everyone interested in British wildlife, and it's like they're fairly sympathetic to the British big cat phenomenon. You could easily say, you know, we've found this diagnostic kill, we found this scat, this you know trackway, We've got this photograph which is definitive. Put it out there easy, just you know, to get the community to appreciate how good the evidence is. And this hasn't been done. So in frustration, this is something I've taken on myself, which I really wish I hadn't. Another project that's kind of like on the back burner for several years, myself and a colleague book with John McGowan who's very interested in britchbig cats. We've been trying to write a po technical paper that talks about the tracks that the hairs, the droppings, the diagnostic kills, and some of the better photographic evidence. And I know that if this was done and if we published it somewhere like Journal Zoology, which is you know, kind of what I have in mind, you'd have all that data there in one go.
Speaker 6: And at the moment you don't have that.
Speaker 4: You have to go through a load of popular books that often read like the kind of you know, adventure diaries.
Speaker 2: That like my personal would sure, sure, sure, very.
Speaker 4: Common in cryptology literature. I'm not saying they've done a bad job. You know that that's a fairly nice body of literature. But you just don't have people doing the job properly and getting the data.
Speaker 3: So it's the.
Speaker 2: Delineation issue, isn't it. I mean, between popular this is a hobby and this is an actual journalistic type of science, right, so it's got to be taken more seriously if there's real things there. So right, it would be like the guys who claim they found bigfoot in Georgia. Now, if I found a big foot and killed it, The very first thing I would do, after making sure it wasn't a guy of suit and I didn't need to get rid of a body, is h is contact some biologists immediately, and because it's got to be examined, written up, diagnosed, drawn up and published. If science happens in the journals, not in my diary, right, not on my right.
Speaker 1: So and I was going to ask, how do you amateurs become involved in academia.
Speaker 4: Well, they have to cooperate with people who were able to have the smart to do this. And if they do that, they've got there is no problem at all with them getting the appropriate credit. I think that's one of the issues. They're concerned that if they suddenly, you know, if they shone up doctor so and so at the local museum and say we've got a bad big foot, then that person is going to take it away and publish it, and the finders are not going to get the credit.
Speaker 6: Well, that just that just will not happen.
Speaker 4: If anything, there's you probably know this.
Speaker 6: But maybe it's not well known enough.
Speaker 4: The there's a big thing today, a big kind of you know, ethical movement where people are making sure that the right people get the credit for doing research and going to the trouble of you know, finding and procuring and retrieving let's say, the carpets of the mystery animal. That's a huge amount of work. I'm absolutely sure that hypothetically, if someone were to discover one of the big famous cryptids, the finder would would They wouldn't have to do the hard graph they wouldn't have to you know, write the technical paper and do the DNA profiling and everything. You could get people to do that for you, but that the finder would get the credit. The problem with some of these cases is obviously, well I'm thinking of the more dish, the dish of people once they obviously were interested in kind of fame and fortune, and that that's Georgia.
Speaker 6: Oh right, yeah, the thing hoax thing but from.
Speaker 4: What matt Ricord whatever they call it, some crazy name for it, but yeah, it's it's a matter of contacting the right people. And today, I mean, what with the Internet and everything, that is easier than ever before that you have no excuse at all for not finding the relevant person in the field and the relevant expert and talking to them.
Speaker 6: And yeah, well there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot of distrust in cryptozoology. I mean that between researchers, right, which always bothers me, because right that in science, if I understand it, which I'm not a professional working scientist, But if you're worried about people getting on your stuff, you publish a general paper and then come back with something more specific later. You lay your steak out, you stake your claim. I guess that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, people do do a lot of kind of well territorial markings, you like, right.
Speaker 6: There, there are all.
Speaker 4: Kinds of little battles and warring factions and so in every every single branch of science.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: But I can't see that that would be a problem with any of any of these, any of the superstars of Cripper's orgy.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. Even if you go back to like, what was it the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation. Those guys got a Nobel prize and they weren't even looking for it. Will Meanwhile, in another lab, people were looking for it deliberately and didn't find it, So the credit went to the guys who found it, even by accident. Right, So yeah, I think science is pretty good, you know, I trust my science pretty.
Speaker 4: Well, should think Yeah, a lot of this mistrust is completely misplaced and just kind of comes from without wanting to sound really does kind of come from ignorant about the way things work and also about what people are like. I mean, bear in mind that a lot.
Speaker 6: Of the I think there's also there's also.
Speaker 4: The implication that scientists, because they often are paid to pursue their interests, they kind of have like a big financial stake in it or whatever.
Speaker 6: But loads of us do.
Speaker 4: I mean, most of the work we do is basically done kind of for fun and for free. I mean, the weird research that I've done that sort of surrounds the core of like kind of PhD based research I've done has been done entirely on my own time, my own kind of funding, And that is absolutely common, absolute typical scientists generally, almost without exception, are you know, interested in it for the sake of getting the data out there? That might mean, you know, putting forward during cherished typothesists.
Speaker 6: Obviously, do you get you know, there is kind of some of you go stroking involved, sure, but yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Want the data out there. It's not that's nobody's interested in keeping these things to themselves, keeping them locked away. And not letting people see them. And you do see that in the cryptological community that.
Speaker 1: Is often a claim as well. And earlier you were talking about evidence that's found by cryptozoologists and that it's usually bad evidence. But I was just wondering, as a broad question, have there been any new creatures that have been discovered by lay people by cryptozoologists.
Speaker 4: I think most of the new species I can think of that have been named in recent years have been found by biologists, qualified biologists who have gone out into the field and seen them. They must there must be some cases though where I can't think of any particularly good ones off the top of my head, but I'm sure there must be cases where someone has, you know, donated a bird or a lizard or something to a museum and it's and it's been named as a new species. I mean, obviously that turns out that that happens all the time. But all of the larger and more impressive animals, terrestrial or marine, has been been found by by biologists. And I can think of many cases in recent years where they've gone to a you know, a team has gone to a certain area to do a survey and they've learned from the local people about you know, this this primate or this bird or this antelope or whatever, and that has turned out to be a major, a major new discovery.
Speaker 6: But yeah, now I'm afraid of I can't think.
Speaker 4: Of any but that doesn't mean.
Speaker 6: They don't exist.
Speaker 1: And you've written a lot about Caddy and the famous photo of an alleged corpse sometimes called the Naden Harbor carcus. Could you tell our listeners a bit about the photograph in your analysis?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, so people have been reporting this long bodied sea monster with large eyes and supposedly with horns or hair. They've been talking about it since well for a long time, I think, certainly since the eighteen hundreds, the late eighteen hundreds, and that creature has become known as Cabrasaurus, and people have got a fairly clear idea of what it's meant to look like. During the nineteen nineties, it was discovered by two scientists who are particularly interested in Cabrasaurus, Ed Bousfield and Paul Le Blonde. They rediscovered in archives some photographs taken in nineteen thirty two at a whale flending platform in the Queen Charlet Islands, British Columbia. A place called a carcass had apparently been retrieved from the stomach of a sperm whale at this flending platform and maiden harbor whales to the whaling station, and apparently the whalers had recognized the carcass was extremely unusual. They put it on wooden crates and they'd photographed it. And the story goes that the carcasses of unknown whereabouts. Nobody knows what happened to the carcass, and it's been suggested that it was sent either to the biological station at the may Note or to the museum in British Columbian Victoria, British Columbia. But so the carcass is gone very familiar story in criks already.
Speaker 6: But the photographs remain, and the photographs do.
Speaker 4: Seem to show a creature that matches with the Cadbrasaurus creature that people had been talking about for ages. So Booster and the Blonde suggested that they are one and the same. They suggested that the carcass is actually a carcass of this Cabrosaurus creature. So they're not only saying that it's real, they're saying that we had a carcass we've lost it, but these photographs are definitive and a proper well, they did publish booths Fill and Le Blonde published a very lengthy paper, a very controversial paper. They were bold enough to name the carcass as a new species, and they actually formerly erected Cabrasaurus will they as kind of like a proper scientific name. They said that all the kind of salient features of cabra sauce are obviously present in the carcass. And they even identified the animal. They said, you can tell from the photograph that is a reptile and that specifically it belongs to a group of fossil reptiles called pleasosaurs, and that's kind of and they used quite they used eyewitness evidence to sort of back up their their claims and so on, and they drew in quite a lot of them different business pieces from the criptological literature. So a huge deal if if they're right, I certainly skeptical about kind of all the different stages of inference involved in this. I would like to see a proper detailed investigation done off the carcass of well of the photographs of the carcass, given that the carcass itself is lost, and there are conflicting reports on what it is. Now, it does appear to be a long bodied peculiar vertebrate. If it is, does it match with the Camerasaurus creature that people claim to have seen, or is it something else? Is it actually the distorted carcass of some other creature that just happens to look like the Cabrasaurus entity that knows people say, it's a.
Speaker 2: Lot to digest. It was just a little digestion.
Speaker 4: Basically, a proper analysis needs to be done of that photograph and that's something else that's that's kind of in the works. Some investigation has been done as the actual eyewitness data that boost and Blonde used to back up their hypotheses on Cabrosaurus, but certainly all of their stuff about identifying it, you know, they claim that it's a living con plesiosaur. Well, that was very easy to kind of well demolished seems to be too hard a work, but it was pretty easy to kind of show big holes in their logic. See on the one hand that I think there is a biological mystery there that does need investigation. On the other hand, they definitely Boosted and Blon definitely without shadow of doubt, went way too far in you know what you can do with the data that you have. It's kind of a classic case of kind of sort of a runaway.
Speaker 6: Hypothesis you might call it. But basically they built up.
Speaker 4: A huge house of cards on what this animal might be like, how it might have behaved, hat might have bred, all this kind of stuff. And I certainly think that the carcass is very intriguing in these proper analysis that yeah, this skepticism needed at every single level of this of this case, not only the eyewitness data, but skepticism about the carcass, skepticism about the different eyewitness supports, the boos and and Levond news.
Speaker 2: So right, do we have any reason to suspect that it wasn't a hoax? I mean, I mean, yeah, people were doing hoaxes back then. It wasn't like hoaxes were invented in the fifties, you know. I mean, Uh, it's such an unusual shaped head. I've always been really curious about that, if that really is the head at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I published a paper on this in a short lived peer reviewed Crypt's AUDI publication called the kryptos Orgy Review, which unfortunately seems to have kind of vanished.
Speaker 6: They seem to have heard of it.
Speaker 4: But the maiden Harbor carcass came from nineteen was photography in ninety thirty two, and in some similar times something on nineteen thirty four. There's another set of photographs taken very close by I've forgotten the location. It all come to me, but that is also alleged to be a long bodied caddy carcass. Photographs on the shore of British Columbia, and that one, I'm absolutely convinced is a kelp stem with a rock posing as a skull and then like a muscle used as an eye socket, and various bits of flotsam and jetsam and bits of plants and stuff used to produce a fairly realistic looking at caddy carcass.
Speaker 6: So I totally it could take your point. I absolutely agree.
Speaker 4: I think people were in the habit of that case shows that they were in the habit of generating Hope's at about the same time and in roughly the same place. But whether this goes for the Naden Harbor one as well, I don't know. I mean, whether the because Booster and von based as you just said, they said there's a camera like head. They say there's an obvious pectoral flipper, and they say there's a bilobed fluked tail, but if you look really really closely, it's Yeah, all of those claims are questionable. So yeah, I don't want to kind of give too much away, but basically there there definitely is scope there for like a proper analysis. I mean, the suggestion is already in delicate that it's a basking shark carcass that has been made because one authors he's now an ichthyologist, and he was he wasn't when he started to study, was just like an undergrad student. But he's claimed that you can definitely see distinctive features of basking shark vertebrae on the body segments of the Naden Harbor carcass.
Speaker 2: We've had the Glenn Cuban em because I guess a basking shark and as it decomposes does sort of favor please us or right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The making Harbor thing is weird though, because it because it just seems to be so long bodied there has got these kind of like loops in it. It doesn't look like that Zoie Myra carcass or any of the other pseudo please you saw.
Speaker 2: Right, It's it's intriguing. Of course, I love old photographs anyway. I mean that's oh, I love them.
Speaker 4: This one is very cool and the facts the photographs are good enough for big Yeah, they've been able to zoom in pretty close and look at quite a lot of the detail on the on the tail and stuff.
Speaker 3: But that.
Speaker 4: That boosts and inaban really did go too far in how much information they thought they could kind of get out of it. So so yeah, hope sing will always remain a possibility. But yeah, I just I just don't know. I think it's I think it's a weird vertebrate carcase of some sort. I don't think it's anything like a them like that helps them like the other one. The language I was trying to remember. But yeah, yeah, so what you said remained valid and then yeah, let's see where it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you've been very generous with your time. We're going to have to have you back again.
Speaker 1: Oh it a lot more to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, this is well. I've learned some things today too. This is nice. So this is very informative. I want to ask you about Kate Bush and several other things.
Speaker 1: You're both fan.
Speaker 6: If you want, we can save it to the next time.
Speaker 2: I will save it. Save it Monster. Thanks for listening to this episode of Monster Talk. Today you heard Blake Smith and doctor Karen Stalls Now interview doctor Darren Nash on the intersection of cryptozoology and science. If you enjoy this conversation, you can continue it on our forums at skeptic blog dot com. Monster Talk is produced with the support of Skeptic Magazine. Music from today's episode comes from the Commodore sixty four game mail order Monsters and our The theme song is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Be sure and follow Monster Talk's hosts on Facebook and Twitter, and if you like the show, tell a friend and we'd love to get a review on iTunes. Check out skeptic dot com or monster talk dot org for more information. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 8: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 2: So do you consider yourself to be a skeptic. A skeptic, what is that