Speaker 1: John, Thank you very much. Good morning, Welcome to Thursday.
Speaker 2: As we like to say, Thursday is the new Friday here in news Radio EID forty WHS.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, July seventeenth. I'm Scott Fitzgerald. John Alden's in studio D and you heard John shit and there nick coffee taking care of some personal business. He'll be back with us sun tomorrow morning, starting at five o'clock and get you going into the weekend. As John mentioned, we are dealing with a case of the measles here in Louisville, and we were talking about vaccinations earlier. We'll talk more about that coming up on Kentucky Focus this weekend. I talk with some folks there and plus Generative AI, and it's a big part of classrooms right now.
Speaker 1: It's a big part of our lives. It's not going away.
Speaker 2: The genie is out of the bottle, So how can we best manage that and work as parents and educators with our children as the new school year starts. We'll also talk about that coming up on Kentucky Focus this weekend. Meanwhile, we're sort of dealing with a dilemma here at news Radio eight forty WHS. Our coffee maker is out here again.
Speaker 1: That means no coffee for folks.
Speaker 2: It started last Saturday when Joe and Jack Avino came in John, and she poked her head in the door. I sit here in the studio on Saturday's wee kah and she poked her head in the door, and she goes, is the coffee maker not working? I think those are the Those are almost the worst words you can hear. Next too, I don't think the air conditioners working. Yeah, those are two both both very bad scenarios. You wake up in the morning and you just see your debagie rising on your air conditioner, and you're like, you know what's coming. So the coffee maker has not worked all week, so we've all had to improvise. I've switched over to the energy drinks. John, you are making coffee at home now, thankfully.
Speaker 3: So you told me on Monday morning, early Monday morning that you really that was going to be out, and so I was already heading out that day. I stopped at a gas station the first couple of days heading in, and then I realized I can't be doing that every single day. So I'm like, you know what I'm gonna set up the coffee maker overnight, like an old school way of doing things, and you know, just wake up in the morning, feed the baby, turn on the coffee pot, and there it is ready for me as I'm getting ready to go. It's not the most convenient thing, but it is at the same time and save me some money. And so I'm glad I'm able to do that. But at the same time, I do miss having that here because that only allows me one cup of coffee the way that I'm doing things now, whereas I can have as much as I want whenever the coffee maker's working here.
Speaker 1: How long does your cough?
Speaker 2: I'll see your coffee buzz last year if you have a cup of coffee when you going for that second cup, I.
Speaker 3: Try to spread them out two hours apart in the morning, just so I'm not doing it overdoing it in one you know, go. But I do like to just kind of have a warm drink, and so it is tempting to just go from one cup immediately to the second one, but I do try to spread them out.
Speaker 2: See you're like me, and when we were talking off the air, I'll pop it every half hour. But see and see there's smaller cups. I still use the styrophone cups they give us here at the station. Okay, yeah, I've used my own coffee cup before, but one I either lose it, or I break it, or I leave it here. So the station provides us with the styrofoam cubs. And to your point, it's about thirty degrees.
Speaker 1: In each of these studios. And since the weight loss, I get colder faster.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so it's a comfort thing for me to have that cup of coffee in my hand in the morning. My problem is I need to take your advice because if I'm popping a cup every half hour, I'm not necessarily flying off the walls. But I certainly by the time we get to about eight o'clock, i'm done with coffee. And I hate doing that because I've discovered and I don't know if it's an age thing, and I don't know what it is. But you know, Saturday afternoon, I have no beef with making myself a cup of coffee because I like to taste, not because I'm tired, just because I like taste.
Speaker 3: I could drink coffee all day, every day if it didn't have the you know, the after effects of it.
Speaker 2: Sure, Sure, and my daughter bought one of those espressos, which I've come to find myself being.
Speaker 1: I'm my own little personal barista. Like I experiment with it. So I'll throw and like I make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get the espresso cups and I'll throw those in and start throwing some. I didn't used to be a sugar coffee. Straight black coffee. That's what I like, and that's what I drink in the mornings here. But on the weekends I like to try to mess around, and especially come Christmas time, it's nice because you can play around with the cinnamon and all that stuff and make that. But apparently, apparently, worldwide, it's estimated that over two billion cups of coffee are consumed every day.
Speaker 1: Well I don't one hundred percent believe.
Speaker 2: Then I do too, and it's it's a little different now because I don't know what was the case when you were growing up, But when I was growing up, it was like folks just had coffee in the morning.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: There were no coffee shops on every corner. You had coffee shops, you had coffee and donut shops, but people weren't drinking coffee like they are now, and of course that's expanded into energy drinks, and as I mentioned, I'm drinking the energy drink in the morning, which is getting me by It goes on to say that here in the United States, by the way, sixty six percent of Americans drink coffee every day. It's about one hundred and fifty million daily coffee drinkers in the US alone.
Speaker 3: Do you have a cut off for yourself in the evening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I can't drink it in the evening.
Speaker 3: Before before I switched over to early mornings with you guys, I could do a cup of coffee as late as eight o'clock at night. If I do that, now that's a mistake. Well, I think it's about five or six o'clock because this as late as I'll do a cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: Nowadayeah, you'll be up. You'll be up all night.
Speaker 2: And then in some cases for you, if you're up feeding Daisy, that kind of comes in handy.
Speaker 1: This, that's true.
Speaker 3: Thankful, she's getting to the point to where she is sleeping, not all the way through the night, but we only get up to feed her once, and it's right before I get ready to come here. So that kind of just works out with my my current you know, the regular schedule if you will.
Speaker 1: You know, and do you do this sugar and cream type thing or all black coffee? Yep. See. What's interesting though, is that you know, we're going on what day three now.
Speaker 2: Without a coffee maker, and unfortunately we have coffee. We have a couple of coffee shops close by. That's true, just leave the office and go down there. But for folks, when you walk in that office and there's no coffee and you're used to coffee being there, that's a problem for a lot of people. So we'll see, hopefully we get it fixed and whatnot as we move on through here in the morning. Fortunately, they keep our fridge stocked with some caffeinated drinks if we'd like those.
Speaker 1: They take care of us here at iHeart.
Speaker 2: We're we're not starving to stay awake here, So speaking of that, we're back after this. John, It's John Alden down in studio d John Shannon, I'm Scott fitzgeril Nick.
Speaker 1: Coffee back tomorrow at five here at NewsRadio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: And Welcome Back eight coming up on eight forty six Now News Radio eight forty WHS this Thursday, July seventeenth. I'm Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden down in studio d John Shann.
Speaker 1: I'm work in the control room Nick Coffee taking care of some personal business.
Speaker 2: He'll be back with us starting at five am tomorrow and coming up at nine o'clock mister Tony Venetti and DWIGHTE.
Speaker 1: Witting, Good morning to you, sir.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take calls from the jump. We usually don't do that right at nine, but we're gonna take your calls on what you dislike. It's a form of the old hate Day. If you remember Scott, Yes, sir, I do. It was a big deal. That was an adam neft idea that there was only there's only one day a year when there's no sports, and that was the day after the Baseball All Star Game. It was the only day of the year no sports. So we said, let's do a hate day, and we did it and it was great. It was awesome, So we we're bringing it back.
Speaker 1: Soone comes to hate when it's Tony Vannetti.
Speaker 4: There's several things that irritate me. There's some hate and irritate like people that walk around a store with their speaker on and talking out loud. They're holding a platter and it's and they're talking so loud and we can hear the person on the phone. You're just like, dude, are you what what said to you?
Speaker 1: From?
Speaker 4: It's crazy, you know, because.
Speaker 2: One of the things in my dislikes are loud sneezers and repetitive sneezers.
Speaker 1: So it was really for turn my wife, because she is that person. So I'm in her story four in a row. Yes, I'm in the store the other day and it's people that sneeze and loud yawners.
Speaker 4: Yes they Oh, thank you, John, so good.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna do hate day. Wait, what do you think?
Speaker 4: The terms Dwight the most everything? Everything, It's everything.
Speaker 1: There's not a list long enough.
Speaker 4: No, he again, we think lockeall McLean is gonna call in. He is the king of hate. Okay, but Dwight. Dwight thinks he's low maintenance, or he thinks he's he thinks he's low maintenance. He is high maintenance. Everything irritates. Yeah, okay, Well we'll get him in here and he'll he'll get on a roll.
Speaker 3: John, what do you hate? I hate a lot of things. I'll start with this. I hate the downtown traffic lights. Whatever traffic light system we have right now, it does not work for cars. It's catered to humans, and there's not enough humans walking downtown for it to cater to that.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 2: If if you come down early enough, it's like a zombie walking. You gotta keep your head on a swivel now because you've got people wandering around and you don't see him.
Speaker 3: There's more people wandering around downtown than there are actual people trying to use the crosswalk.
Speaker 4: I think, well, yes, clear or washing themselves naked in the spring about the hotels. But I think there will be several things that everyone hates. Yeah, right, Like the guy that gets up when the plane lands, stands in the in the h You know he's way back, but he stands in the aisle. You just saved yourself ten seconds. Congratulations, right, But every one of the planes like, oh there you go.
Speaker 1: Do they still clap when the plane lands.
Speaker 4: When it's a rough landing, you know, thank God God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we get out here, Tony, I did when I had the opportunity to talk to you. Both you and I are close to the archdis is a little the Catholic Education Foundation, you are a big spokesperson for them.
Speaker 1: A big advocate for them. Heart how are they doing this year?
Speaker 4: Great? Thirty six hundred kids heard the answer. Yes, this is an opportunity for kids and families that can't afford to go to Catholic school. We will will pay for it. But they have they have a little a stake in it. They pay a little bit, they work at the schools and doing all that kind of stuff. But thirty six hundred kids that could not have gone and it changes their li And this is all private money. This isn't government money, this isn't state money. This is thirty This is thirty six hundred kids. Seven million every year. So January one we start over and we raised seven million dollars. Again that's the community because you know that, you know, if you give a kid a base anything that life throws at him later divorces and losing a job or whatever it is, you can handle it if you go to those schools where the teachers care and the curriculum is a little bit better and they give you a base for life. And that's what the Catholic Education Foundation. John Asher was one of the original founders of the Catholic Education Foundation, and when he passed away, they asked me to be involved and I could not say no. And I had no idea what I was getting into, but for the good, Like I didn't know how my heart would just connect to this.
Speaker 2: And you guys, of course a big part of the salute to the game lunch in between Santex and Trinity. Yes, that's a big, big stepping stone. Now folks are listening and they may not have heard of the Catholic Education Foundation. They want to pursue. Yeah, how do they get involved in that?
Speaker 4: Dot org? Go to the website. You do not have to be Catholic to go to Catholic school. You understand that you do not have to be affiliated with with the with the religion to go to school. Plenty of kids don't, right, so that's the number one thing. Well, my kids, we're not Catholic. Doesn't matter, all right. You want a choice, and again you give them that first through eighth grade. They'll probably make a choice for one of the Big five schools, but doesn't matter where they go from there because they'll have the base. So go to the Catholic Education Foundation. Website apply and of course our slug line is the answer is yes.
Speaker 1: That's outstanding. And again you're hosting the salute to the Game lunch, and.
Speaker 4: Again Holy we have Coach Kelsey is a huge Catholic from Cincinnati. He's part of the Holy Trinity Parish. His son's a little basketball player, I think in fifth grade or something at Holy Trinity. He's going to jump up at the beginning of the luncheon and do his why I'm a Catholic, Da da dah.
Speaker 2: As he formed an allegiance yet to any one of the Catholic schools here?
Speaker 1: Is he going to stay?
Speaker 4: Well you meet high schools. Yeah, I don't know yet because I think his kids are his daughter's r at Assumption. Maybe okay, but I don't know about the sun yet. That'll be a big question.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well, so it's hey Day coming up, and you guys are gonna talk about hate.
Speaker 1: So if people want to vent, will you take calls on Hey Day?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? If we're taking calls from everybody, so what what do you dislike? Five seven, one, eight, four eighty four. We're taking calls all shows, so lock it in good See again, my friends, Sir John Alden.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, buddy, appreciate you. See you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right, my man, we'll do it all again tomorrow thanks to John Alden. You all have a great day again. Tune in Terry Miners and Company on the way home with Jay Cardosi. Storms could get a little dicey around three o'clock this afternoon, could make you drive home complicated. Nick coffee back with us at five o'clock. I'm Scott Fitztreld. Have a great day everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.