Speaker 1: This should be the cold open, because this is actually like, what are these guys laughing about?
Speaker 2: This is great? I gotta listen to this whole thing, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, all right, think think I'm still in I'm still in programming meeting mode here, you're coming.
Speaker 2: Well, how about this? Let me let me just do it.
Speaker 1: Let me take a crack at Yeah, this podcast that we have done now fifty plus episodes, I feel like you and I are kind of developing a familiarity over what is going to slap and what is it is not going to slap for each other?
Speaker 3: Do you find yourself then in the least weird way I can possibly ask this question, do you.
Speaker 1: Think even when it's like something that I don't think you're into that, Like when we're watching Nuremberg, I was even thinking of like Commonos isn't gonna like this at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And then and I'm like, and then I watched stuff that like you kind of turned me on to, and and I'm like, I'm like kind of guessing as like, Okay, is this yes, this is his genre, but is this his type of genre? Lauren Michaels always did this in SNL, like it's like talking about a sketch. Yes, it gotta laugh, but did it get the right kind of laugh?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So this this is a horror, but was it the right kind of horror for you? And I feel like the way that you laid out while you loved Ready or Not the first one so much, we're reviewing Ready or Not too here I come in this podcast. I felt like it was going to be difficult for you to like this one as much as the other one. And I feel like this was a different movie than what we saw in the first one too, do you?
Speaker 2: I do believe that this was a different movie.
Speaker 1: It was a different I mean, it was similar formula, but it was it was a different this stakes were different, Uh, they were much higher and I think it got to be more hokey, right.
Speaker 3: I was going to say it was higher, but somehow also less serious, less serious time.
Speaker 1: And it was And it was really expansive, like they really expanded on this whole Now you see now you see me, I'm gonna I'm gonna do that multiple times, Ready or Not. They expanded on this whole universe that it wasn't just one family, This is.
Speaker 2: A whole different this is a whole big like not a click what do you call it? Cult? Yes, the whole big cult that was behind this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I'll be honest with you, man, I found myself because you were spot on, and I used a couple of examples during our ties on Outside the Box.
Speaker 2: I said, uh, this is prior to you watching it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think and I could tell though already, just based on the trailer I used. I think Megan is an example, but I think the ultimate example is Guardians of the Galaxy. I was so unsold about the first Guardians that I did even see it in theaters. I was like a talking tree in Raccoon. Okay, I realized Marvel's been good, but they've clearly Yeah, of course they clearly have overstepped with this one, and I think they're getting a little too far out there. Flash forward to me catching it five months after the fact, thinking it was brilliant. I was like, this is fantastic.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny about that is is like they've made three Guardians of the Galaxy, and if you looked at the first one like well, this will never work, and yet they made one Eternals and you're like, oh wow, this is gonna be great.
Speaker 3: It was super epic because they earned it, because like, they earned that kind of trust, and.
Speaker 2: Now it's it's like an abomination. Everybody hates that. You know, Well, yeah, they'll never be in eternals.
Speaker 3: Too, there won't be. Even though I didn't really mind the first one, I liked it. Yeah, I say all that to say, though, the second Guardians of the Galaxy is a fine movie. But after going from well I don't want to see that, that's stupid to oh my god, that was the best Star Wars movie I've ever seen in my life. And it's not even a Star.
Speaker 2: Wars Star Wars movie. I think it's a great Father's Day movie.
Speaker 3: The second one, second one, Yeah, yeah, I agree, I agree. Don't even get me started with that. But but I say all that to say that, like the second one, while on its own, was a fine movie. The jokes felt more forced, the chemistry while yeah, I felt like everywhere it was because they tried to take the formula from the first one that was so unique, so fresh, and so new, and they just kind of tried to superimpose it onto a new story. And that's basically what we dealt with here. I mean, we can spoil the first ready or not, right, because that's been out.
Speaker 2: So let's just get the gist of this.
Speaker 1: Basically, this is a woman who marries into a family, and this family has been blessed by Satan with ungodly riches. Okay, but every time somebody is you know, every time there's a new family member, they have to play a game this family owns, like this board game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're basically what was the main one that did like Monopoly and has Milton Bradleyeah, yeah, exactly, they're basically.
Speaker 2: Basically Melton Bradley.
Speaker 1: And so they have to play a game and and and if the game comes out like chess or checkers or whatever, nothing happens. But the game, if it's Hide and Seek, the one that's randomly selected, then basically they have to kill the new person in the family before sunrise or they all die. The whole family dies. So that's the gist of the movie.
Speaker 3: But the important part of that is that you spend the entire movie thinking they are nuts. You're like, Okay, obviously Satan doesn't have to Yeah. At no point, ever, oh I did not cross my mind that they actually had to kill her. I was like, Okay, so these guys are gonna be nuts and there's not going to be like that's and then the ultimate climax of the movie, you're like, oh no, it quite literally is satan.
Speaker 1: Well well quite frankly, they didn't. They didn't know either, Like the husband of the sister, I think it was. He's like, see, I knew it. I knew it was all bs like this isn't real and all of a sudden, right, So, but I was thinking of that. It was still like, you know, there's something there.
Speaker 3: See. That was why I liked it so much is because the way they explode in the first one, because it's just like they don't do what they're supposed to do and they literally explode into little pieces and it's so graphic and so over the top and in my opinion, so unforeseeable that I was like, oh, so this is this is a good movie. I didn't realize I was watching a movie that's this good. I say that to say.
Speaker 2: So, what did you think was gonna happen at the end as you're watching this?
Speaker 3: I didn't know if they was just going to be like an awkward they go their separate ways or whatever the situation was. But it kind of lent itself to like because they were all so eccentric and so strange, and you were just like, oh, so these guys are just kind of chalking it up to that, And.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't think they were that eccentric.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Adam Brodie's character, all of them, No, I didn't see that some of them. Yeah, But like I thought Andy McDowell and Henry is it Serny Cherney guy from Mission Impossible, Yeah, I thought they were pretty normal. Like the one unhinged one was the.
Speaker 3: The ant, Yeah, the ant was up there. The cokehead sister was you know, yeah, and like you know, the other sister as well with the heavy set husband who like she was kind of cold. But I mean, like when you look at all those I guess my main problem with it is this movie just took all of those parts and recycled them. Nothing new is going to happen.
Speaker 2: But that's that's a sequel. That's what a sequel is. See.
Speaker 3: I think we are in a new era. And now we've never talked about this, but I genuinely believe and it's not new meaning the last couple of years, but our adult life. I think the idea that something is a sequel no longer guarantees law of diminishing returns anymore. I expect to go see second and even third movies that find a way to intrigue me more. I I'll get me Winter Soldier over First Avenger any day of the week, you know what I mean? Give me a if I thought about Dark Knight versus Batman begins, and I'm sure if I thought long enough, I could get outside a superhero movies. But there's play of examples, even Mission Impossible seven and eight. I go into those expecting to one up what was happening in Mission Impossible two and three?
Speaker 1: Like okay, But can I just say what all those films that you just mentioned have in comment?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: They were all planned? They were all planned sequels.
Speaker 3: Do you think they expected dead reckoning and final reckoning when they were doing the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman in two thousand Sex.
Speaker 1: That was a third one, dude, that was a third one Mission Impossible and Tom Cruise wasn't going anywhere like this.
Speaker 2: That was a franchise at that point.
Speaker 1: Once you hit three, you are a franchise, right, And so so my point at like Marvel, uh you mentioned like this is All and the Nolan trilogy.
Speaker 2: It was always gonna be a trilogy.
Speaker 1: This one, I think because of the success of it, and it did pretty well. The first one didn't. Yeah, I think like, hey, let's do a second one. But like and when you don't have that whole story board, that whole arc planned out, things get a little sloppy.
Speaker 3: But are you a Planet of the original Planet of the Apes guy, like.
Speaker 1: Charles Heston, Yeah, I mean I remember seeing it like forty years ago and it was okay.
Speaker 3: So there were five of them and they all tell one long story that the kind of wraps in on itself with time travel and whatnot. But you know, it does a whole story.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the five of them, like with Wahlberg and no, no, no, I'm talking five just with Heston, and you know the ones that come after that, but not with Wahlberg.
Speaker 3: But there's like five from that era, you know, Planet of the Apes, Beneath the Planet, Conquest for the Planet, battles, so and so forth. They tell one long story. But by the time you get the Planet of the Apes four, you watch them blow up a tree and then you watch them blow up that same tree fifteen times because they're trying to cut costs. And I know it was fifteen different explosions, Like there was an aspect growing up on eighties whrror you expect Friday the Thirteenth, Part seven to suck more than Friday the Thirteenth, Part one. When I go to see you Ready or Not? When I saw Megan two point zero, I fully expected that to be better than the first. I fully expected Ready or Not. And I'll be real with you, man, I was sitting there about sixty percent of the way through this one, and I was thinking to myself, I kind of wish we chose to see the other movie. That's basically the same plot. They're going to kill us or they want to kill us, whatever that movie is that's out right now, basically the same plot, but new characters, new actress, new new story, all that, Jazz.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting there, hold.
Speaker 1: On, hold on, that's that's an original one. That's not a sequel to something that's all.
Speaker 3: They want to kill us or whatever. Yeah, No, that's a whole, completely unique storyline. And I'm sitting there because I had that affinity for Ready or not because I liked it so much. I was like, no, we got to see ready or not too Whereas sixty percent of the way through, I'm like, ah, son of a gun, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, I didn't mean to see this. At what point did you kind of?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right after The best scene in the movie is the turnaround scene when Turnaround is playing the song and things are happening, We'll turn around playing. I'm like, ah, this is fun. This reminds me of the first one. And other than that, that was like the only time after that the movie sucked. The rest of the movie. After that, the movie sucked. But that scene gave me a little bit of hope. And when it got out of it and I saw the trajectory we were on, I was like, we should have just saw they want to kill us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was tough because you're you're balancing by the way, Megan mathriegan two point zero.
Speaker 2: That was also not a planned sequel, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. That was Oh who saw this coming? Uh? Did you see the Nobody sequel sucked? Yeah? It was terrible. It was atrocious. I was like, I can't believe they made this. I'm like, actually I can, because no one expected. You watched the first one, Yeah, it was great, Okay, it was great. This is with Bob odenk I'm thinking of Yeah, and I've never seen an action movie like that where he beats the crap out of five people in the bus and then it immediately goes to like a very heartfelt and well acted scene between him and his life, Like you don't get this in action movies very often. This is a nice blend. Second one sucked, so I think you might be onto something here with the uh surprise hit. Let's double down.
Speaker 1: On because Hollywood wants something that's bankable. Yeah, something that's gonna make money. And by the way, didn't ready or not to make a lot of money.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I can find that out. I know our next feature, Hail Mary, has won the last two weeks in terms of box office, But that doesn't mean that these guys didn't do anything. There was nobody in my theater I was watching. I think there might have been four or five people.
Speaker 1: Getting getting back to that film ready or not too It was difficult to be I think part of what made the first one so cool was the comedic aspects about it of it and you know, like for moments of levity.
Speaker 2: In this one.
Speaker 1: I think it was difficult to balance out the comedy and obviously like that when you have a musical montage like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was perfect.
Speaker 2: That was a total eclipse of the heart.
Speaker 1: I think is the name of the song, right, Yeah? And yeah, Bonnie Tyler.
Speaker 2: I think it was Bonnie Tyler.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's difficult to balance it off. When Sean Hatosi's character, I can't remember his name in the film. He was Sarah Michelle Geller's brother. Yeah, Titus Titus, Yeah, Titus dand forth.
Speaker 2: It was. It's when you have.
Speaker 1: A character as sadistic and carnal, is that guy, it's called the blend in comedy. Yeah, you know, so I thought that was not the greatest thing that this movie had going for him.
Speaker 3: Did you feel it was earned? Did you like? I felt like they kind of made him. I thought maybe that's what they wanted.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. Did you see Rampage with the Rock? Yeah, so you remember in that film, I want to say it was Malin Ackerman and I can't remember the guy's name, but he was on the last season of the Office. They were the brother and sister that sort of headed up the lab.
Speaker 2: Sure, and they were they're the bad guys. You know.
Speaker 1: It was kind of weird because I think they they tried to play this guy as like sort of a doofy character, the brother in that movie. He was sort of like a doofy character most of the movie, but then like at the end, it was like more serious, you know. And I think this is how it was with this tightest guy, where he's just he's almost like a like, you know, this cartoonish, angry, jealous, spoiled son slash brother, and then you find out like this this is a deep personality thing with him where it goes much more than he.
Speaker 2: Hey, is just a dick. No, this guy is super sadistic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 2: And like it went from zero to sixty, like it's very very quick.
Speaker 3: Yes, like even a schlocky movie like Hostile too. It inverts the two characters because they have two people like ready to go and kill people at the Hostile one of them's gung ho and one of them's like, I don't know if I want to do this. By the end of the movie, they've inverted their rules. But it is a gradual process that you understand how they ended up getting there, and for Hostile Too to take the time to develop it, whereas here and maybe that's what they were going for. I'm like, Okay, so Sarah Michelle Geller is going to take this guy out at some point because he clearly has no idea.
Speaker 1: But I never really thought I mean, like it, just not to interrupt you, but I thought Sarah Michelle Geller's character is very similar to the one she played in Cruel Intentions.
Speaker 3: I said this, I was thinking the same thing.
Speaker 1: I was thinking the same where I think she's cunning and crafty and two steps ahead the whole time, and then we find out towards the end that was not what was going on with her at all, right, and in fact I kind of misjudged what kind of character she was. Now you could make the case that had things played out differently in this movie, maybe my first impression would have been correct.
Speaker 2: We won't know.
Speaker 1: But as much as you say, like it wasn't earned with Titus, for how is his character development like how it took place in the Snap of Fingers, Sarah Michelle Geller is kind of the same way. Yeah, where she was this one character the whole movie and all of a sudden towards the end, with this one conversation she's having with Tomorrow Weaving, It's like, oh, okay, Well, either this movie is not very well put together or I totally misread what was going on, right, And.
Speaker 3: I'll be real with you. So Samorrow Weaving's sister is played by Catherine Newton, who's the daughter in Quantumnia. She's in an handful of things, which I didn't figure that out un till after the movie. I'm like, what do I know? This vie from it was driving me nuts. I'll be okay, so it's not a spoiler if it's not what happened I spent the entire movie because she's gone for seven years. That's the whole point, which not to send too many tangents here, but this is like the fifth movie we've.
Speaker 2: Famara Weavings's character has been gone for seven years, is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had been separated, the sisters, she went to college. They hadn't spoken for seven years, and this is like the third or fourth movie where that's like a main point. I know that was a point in Final Destination. I don't know if that's a thing that was yeah. I don't know if that's a gen Z thing or what, but there is a recurring theme where younger siblings are mad when the older siblings go off to college. That's like not a thing.
Speaker 2: Gone a sixty seconds. I just watched that the other day.
Speaker 3: But so I'm watching the movie, I'm like, Okay, so this younger sister hasn't been in her life for seven years. Sarah Michelle Geller is behaving so weird. I thought they were in cahoots. I was like, there's something with the sister where nothing is. This isn't what it seems like. That was the way Sarah Michelle Goether because even at one point she says something and I'm blanking on it. But there was like a weird interaction between the four of them, the brother and sister and then the two sisters, and I was like, something's up with this, and I didn't know what it was, but I was like, there's going to be a really cool reveal at some point and none of that, none of that comes to fruition. But that's how ambiguous Sarah Michelle Skeeller's character was. Was. I was expecting these these big reveals about how she was two steps ahead and this mastermind concoction, because it didn't make sense that the sister was involved.
Speaker 1: You are at any point, you are on a whole different plane. Why but well, I mean an elevated plane with how you watch films. I mean it's like watching it with a detective. Well, I'm just I think I'm actively watching something and that's not even close.
Speaker 2: Compared to the thoughts that are going through your head.
Speaker 3: It tell me it wouldn't have been better if it turned out the sister had some kind of because like she made up. Oh, I don't want to get too much into because there's like reveals, so I'm not going to get too much into. But you find out you really don't know shit about it.
Speaker 2: These two. I'll say this. I'll say this.
Speaker 1: I think they incorporated the sister into this film because they incorporated so many more like families or stakeholders or whatever, that it just made sense to add sort of like another lead. You're going to a sequel, you have to make it bigger, more expansive, hopefully better. In this case, it probably wasn't. So I think that just makes sense that you bring in like two people into.
Speaker 3: This and it provides a nice you know, what's the word dichotomy? Like you see the whole theme is family, right, and you see the wealthy families kind of stabbing one another in the back in different ways, leaving one another out to dry, being angry for one reason. And then these two sisters who haven't spoken in seven years and have every reason to hate each other, find a way to work together and make sure that they cover each other's asses. I understand thematically why they wanted to go about it this way. In terms of story board wise, I don't understand why the sister was included in any kind of way. I don't know why they brought her in that they could have just grabbed her from the hospital in the first scene of the movie yea, and did the whole scene with just so like there's no justification behind it other than okay, so she's in on it somehow, Like that was my logic, like why is she here?
Speaker 2: Did you like?
Speaker 1: It took me a few scenes to realize it, but I realized that the creepy guy the law the lawyer was Elijah Wood or like that you didn't wait, what, Yeah, I didn't realize it was him. And I don't know if it's because like I knew i'd seen him before I knew I recognized him.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: What is this guy's name?
Speaker 1: And then I don't know, something clicked in like the third scene or something, or I'm seeing like, oh, yeah, that's Elijah Wood, you know, because I was not a hobbit guy like I didn't that was not you know, And what else has he benet?
Speaker 2: That's a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I was just going to say, Lord of the Ring.
Speaker 2: That will be North. Yeah, I remember that too, And he was in that. Forgot about that.
Speaker 1: He was in the Dirk Bentley or what was it called a Holistic a detective agency show that was on AMC. Yeah, that was that was that was that was out there. But yeah, I didn't even realize it was him. And and uh, but what did you make of him as far as his role and the way that they deployed him as a either existent or perhaps non existent plot device in this film?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was interesting. He was almost like a neutral, a little bit entity in it, which I found interesting. It's almost like, because that's the whole theme of both of these movies, and fundamentally seventy percent of the movies we end up seeing is the system is not your Friend is basically a lot of the theme of movies these days, and he kind of represents that he doesn't care who wins, who loses, who dies.
Speaker 2: Is very very swisses Swiss.
Speaker 3: It's just all I know is there are rules that need to be followed, and as long as those rules are followed, then I am content.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's another thing with the rules kind of. I mean, I understand they're there for plot reasons, but it's just really janky, like hokey stuff that like, oh, you can do this, but nobody can do this, but they can do this, and there's a loop pillar here, but this could never Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they definitely added a ton of things like that in there, just.
Speaker 1: Made it more confusing. Yeah, I agree, But the first one was real simple. She lives till the dawn, everybody dies, everybody else dies unless you're Ben and you're thinking that might be a blowed up whoey. Yeah, this one, well, okay, so now there's this seat open on this council and oh but but it's not just a seat that could control everything.
Speaker 2: And oh that's the other thing I was going to point out to you Ben.
Speaker 1: The father, the actor who played the father of Sarah Michelle Geller and Seanatozi in this His name is, I want to say, and I'm probably gonna I might be misremembering it.
Speaker 2: I want to say, David Kroner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I saw as soon as he came up freaking video drone. So you so you know, you knew you he made some of my favorite movies. Okay, so he looks like and you're not. Did you watch the paper the spinoff of the Office. Now I'm familiar with it. I didn't watch it.
Speaker 1: So the guy who like owns the newspaper, I think his name is Marv. He looked just like this, this actor slash director you know in this in this scene, So immediately that's who I thought it was. And then I'm like reading about this, I'm like, oh, this was sort of an homage for everything.
Speaker 2: That that he's done in film over the years.
Speaker 1: And I was a little disappointed because well I was disappointed after the fact, but if I knew it going in, and maybe you were disappointed too, or maybe you should have been if you weren't the stuff that he was known for for, this sort of like body metamorphosis and like whatever, like that's what his films are known for.
Speaker 2: Do we see any of that?
Speaker 1: Which I thought that was gonna be coming, because because you have him in the movie, there's gonna be a tribute, you know, to his style of filmmaking, And then there never was. So I found that out after the fact. I was disappointed, But knowing who he was in it, were you disappointed at all that we didn't see any of then?
Speaker 3: Because there's like movies that he has done. He was revolutionary in the eighties, let alone today. Yeah, and like there was an element of excitement that I was like, Oh, what are they what are they going?
Speaker 2: He just recently worked on something.
Speaker 1: I don't think he was the director of it, but he was like a like a consultant or a producer on something that came out within the last ten years or so, something like that, like a well known film. And I don't think it was horror, if I remember correctly. I think it was something else, like a drama or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know, well, it doesn't if it was.
Speaker 2: If it was, are you on IMDb?
Speaker 3: I'm on the Google list there. But based on what I'm looking at here, a lot if it is from back in the day. If it if it did register, fine, he didn't find his name on there. But I mean, there's a half a dozen movies that I could rattle off that I thought he was. He does a phenomenal job with and they kind.
Speaker 2: Of Scanners was another one. Did you mention skinning?
Speaker 3: I didn't mention Scanners, but yeah, exactly existenz when you're inside the video game, Like, there were some good ones out there that I think would be uh worth checking out, much more so than this movie. His inclusion when I see stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it was Cosmopolis, remember that, that's with he directed it, Okay, he produced and directed it. This was Pattens, Robert Pattinson, Paul Giamoni, Samantha Morton, Julia Pino's, Jay Barukele, Kevin durand who's actually in this film too.
Speaker 2: But I think that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: Uh, That's what I'm saying when you see stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: The other one that because Mophlis was one, History of Violence was the other one. Yeah, that he was that he was, he directed it. He directed a History of Violence and that movie is so good and and well and the other thing I phoned out when I was reading about him. He's done a lot of stuff with Vigo Mortenson over the years, like they've worked together on several films.
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong with that anyway, I got you're one of.
Speaker 2: The happened to Vigo Mortenson. I haven't seen him in a.
Speaker 3: Lot, And more importantly, you're one of the only other people it's ever mentioned history of violence to me?
Speaker 2: Was that Laura Lenny who is the Who's the No, it was the one from E R. It was the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know her name.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was good. That was a good film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I was pleasantly super The.
Speaker 1: Last thing I think Vigo Mortensen did was Green Book, right with Herschel As.
Speaker 3: Far as I'm aware, he went. You know, you know that Rob Redford kind of set the stage for like, once you hit a certain point, if you're a true artiste, then you kind of go into the world of movies that seventeen people will end up seeing. And so for all I know, he's done fifteen more movies that weren't in the in the mainstream. But who the heck knows. But I will say to take it back to the conversation about filling the seats and like, okay, so the seat's gone. It's a more common trope than you realize in these kind of movies, and I'm sure there's like some kind of greater meaning of like there always has to be someone being the you know, the the in the jerk role of society. There was there's a series of movies which I think has come to an end called Hulu After Dark never went to theaters. They were horror movies. They'd released once a month on Hulu, different director, different casts, different plots, but like you know, all under the same label, and it's going to do it justice because I don't remember the title of it, but there's one where the CEO and his wife essentially invite four of their employees and their spouses to a dinner and they put them in a position where they are in escalating situations where they're bigger and bigger jags to each other and other people in society, and it's all in the name of finding out who the next person like the CEO this cult of people oh that runs things and like you know this the whole time, and it's like who's going to be the CEO and be in this cult, and then the ending has a very fun plot twist on all of that.
Speaker 2: Which we'll never know because you can't remember the name of it.
Speaker 3: I'll get it before it's over. But I say all that to say, like there's this common trope of like even the most powerful people in the world, like they can go it's next man up, and they kind of you mentioned the Hobbit, you mentioned Lord of the Rings, and there's even element of that that those movies in this when you have that ultimate power. My whole show Outside the Bar is all about taxing these m efforts. If you all of a sudden gave me the magical Hobbit ring and told me, oh, you now have all of that, you still want to you want to tax these guys. You want to use this for good because realistically nothing can stop you at this point, So what would you like to do? And that's the whole point of The Lord of the Rings, And to a certain extent, they kind of flirt with that idea in.
Speaker 1: This a little bit, so like, well, that's like right out at that with Cronenberg in that first scene where he's watching all these.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the best part of the movie. I think, really, Yeah, better than totally Okay, Yeah, that was the best line of the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh issue the ceasefire. Yeah, because there's.
Speaker 3: So much conflict in the world right now, and you watch him in like literally seconds after he says it, it's on the news, and I'm like, uh, that's so good.
Speaker 1: So, like, I mean, I don't think I'm spoiling anything here. What was the what was the reasoning? So so obviously what the name of the family.
Speaker 2: Don't it reminds me of dumbass? Do so?
Speaker 3: Was that design that they were because they lean into it more in the first one they kind of gloss over it, but I had forgotten that that was their last time. I did not rewatch the first one in preparation. I've just seen it enough times. I know it well enough that because I really did enjoy it. But they lean into it much more and they're like, I don't even know if they pronounced the s it's like the Saint Dumas. Yeah, like you know what I mean, and you know what they're going on.
Speaker 1: So okay, break this down for me, and I'm literally going to find this out from you. Hopefully they were the only family that had this blessing from Satan the demas right, they were the only one.
Speaker 3: Oh see that wasn't my interpreter.
Speaker 2: And tell me what's your interpretation? Now?
Speaker 3: This is interesting? So my interpretation was, there's just a handful of families. They clearly do some messed up things in order to find themselves in favor.
Speaker 1: Because there's so you thought all the families in this film were blessed by Satan?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because okay, A people were exploding before like the game realistically even started. And b One of the themes, which is a theme from the first movie as well, is you have to use weapons from the era in which your family got their friction. And I assume the fortune goes hand in hand with the blessing of Satan. Otherwise you don't end up in that boat.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so I understand that. Then what are they fighting for? What are all these families fighting for? If they all have these huge riches and fortunes.
Speaker 3: Why do running backs hold out for higher contracts when they're already making eight million dollars to play a game?
Speaker 2: Okay, if that's the case, what are they holding out for?
Speaker 1: What's what's the what's the bigger? They have to be holding out for something.
Speaker 3: More I assume it's the complete control. But then why did the Crohenberg have it?
Speaker 1: And no, exactly, So that's that's where my mind let Okay, so they want to be the one that's in.
Speaker 2: Charge of the world. Why did why did Cronenberg's character get give its ruined?
Speaker 3: You're one hundred percent right, doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: There's good There's got to be something we're missing.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's stupid because you're exactly right, because they say the death of the family in the first one is the reason why the seat's vacant, And yes, there is a vacant seat, but it wasn't a head seat, right, So unless any family dying means you know, what's that game twenty one where you throw the football up in the air and whoever catches the football? I don't know, but they don't say that in the plot. I'm literally just spitballing that with the.
Speaker 1: Tightest dand Forth says in this movie this this is is rightfully ours and they end up posting like this game at their place. Yeah, So was it a case of like he didn't It couldn't be like he didn't want his own kids to have that power, right, because He's still essentially they still.
Speaker 2: Had the chance to win that power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: That's no, that's so dumb. You're exactly right, they don't.
Speaker 2: It's can't be dumb. There's there's something we're missing here.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, man, how did neither one of us notice it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Because that's well, I kind of was thinking it, but I was like normally when I see stuff like this, I just I know. I'm like, well, Bene either Better or Wikipedia. Like somebody on the interview, I didn't have it, did you Look? Nothing was explained in there that Well, I got to load it up here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you there's nothing wrong with his logic.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: I see a glaring hole in why this happened? Again, you could explain it away with two lines of dialogue. Yeah, oh, we someone failed at their game, which means we have to start all this over. It's like Cabin in the Woods, right, Like, you gotta kill the people in this order, and if you don't, bad things happen. And we have four different people all trying to accomplish that at the same time. Freaking You could knock that out very quickly. But there is no descriptor as to why it shakes out the way that it does. Why did that family have the ring? Why did they have to give it up?
Speaker 1: Okay, so so he kind of Okay, Chester is Cronenberg's character. Yeah, he lets them sort of he lets his kids like sort of do whatever. But they had to do it at the same time so they can enter the game at the same time.
Speaker 2: That was another big thing.
Speaker 3: No, I thought they only entered at the same time because they're twins, so technically neither one of them is older, so I think it was the oldest one. That was my interpretation of that. I don't understand why they why they had to, you know, do what they had to do to get into the game, because it's like, well, based on the way these rules work, because there's fifty seven rules, it's a delineation. So he could have taken his shots, although I assume he probably just couldn't stand up, Like I don't know if he's not in the movie for particularly long. I'll allow you guys listening at home to figure out why that is.
Speaker 1: The lawyer explains the new situation due to Grace's victory at the Lidomas Hide and Seek game, the four remaining families must kill her before dawn to acquire the high seat, and a ring with seemingly infinite worldwide power will be provided to the winner.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I guess it's just a fail safe to make sure that everybody shows up. But like, while, if you want to do loopholes, so let's do loopholes. Okay, the Dumas is in the first movie, straight up, don't fall of the rules, Like they're told you cannot use the technology that existed didn't exist, and they start using their cameras. And then meanwhile, in this one, the second you think about breaking the rules, you immediately die, and so what the fuck?
Speaker 1: The other thing too with with this is let's let let's just assume that Grace the Bride is killed off Ben in the first one, Okay, why why is that high card that high seat high card?
Speaker 2: Why is that high seat then not available?
Speaker 3: Because the system worked? Like you just you, you carry on as usual, and I like, I don't know, like that's the best I got, But I mean, clearly there's a sister.
Speaker 1: Chester was going Chester dan Forth was going to die. I mean it seemed like he was. Yeah, he's pretty close for sure, so then what happened if you would have died.
Speaker 3: I guess one of the kids just inherited. That's what I'm saying. Like, there's there was not a lot of thought put in this. Again, I think you hit the nail.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's too much thought.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you put too much thought in it, and you had all these cooks in the kitchen and it spoils the dinner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. This was an unexpected seat, it.
Speaker 2: Was too Okay. I've used this analogy before. I'm gonna use it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the companies I work for a fantasy football company. When we try to come up with new games, we try to come up with things that we think people might play. For me, the biggest thing and for us, I think the biggest thing is simplicity, easy to understand, easy to follow, not confusing. Here's what it is. You can explain it two sentences and that's it. Sometimes I think some of these movies would be better off following that strategy, having this like you know, and like I feel like not to toot our own horns. I feel like we're we're not I think we're pretty well adjusted veteran filmgoers film watchers. What does that say for the majority of the people who are not, who are just average Joe blow, Hey, let's check out this ready or not too movies? Yeah, how is that even enjoyable?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 3: I think they think less than we do. Not to be a jerk, but I think a lot of people just go and people who aren't making it a weekly occurrence to make sure they see a new movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right there, fair enough.
Speaker 1: If that's the case, then why put in all this extraneous stuff if the people who you know are gonna enjoy it regardless, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know who the movie was for. And you asked, you pointed this out.
Speaker 2: It was for the people who liked the first one. That's what I'd argue.
Speaker 3: It isn't because I loved the first one and I was like this, this wasn't it, Like you guys missed with this, And yes, all the same pieces are there, and yes you should, it should by all accounts. And this was better than Undertone, and I'd even say it was probably better than Mathrieguan two point zero, but it was it was not. It was not good. Maybe it's because in my opinion, Ready or not was probably a higher starting point in my opinion. But it's just I said.
Speaker 2: It blood was bloodlines better destination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was, Yeah, it was. It was. I'd argue it was much better. Okay, Yeah, maybe it's because there was a longer lull in that and it was kind of telling its own story. And again, that's kind of what I was getting at, is I think you hit the nail on the head with Mathriagan, with this with nobody. Those were smash hits. Let's take two years and do another match, squeeze some more, and we'll figure it out, right, I mean, realistically, before Disney got involved with Marvel, that was kind of what they were doing. Like they wreckconned the cube being an Infinity stone and all these different things happening because like a lot of stuff didn't make sense, and it's like, we'll just figure it out. And then they once they realized they had a multi billion dollar operation going, they're like, Okay, let's let's lay this out here in a way that we know we're not.
Speaker 2: Going to h He wasn't always in charge, no, he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like there was a time when there were a bunch of disparate hands all just kind of telling a story together and like it was fine, it worked, but it became what it was when they found that through line. This movie I think suffers from we need a reason for this to continue.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's play.
Speaker 1: Let's look at this when the producer side of it and the screenwriters, actors or whatever. If you have a success, which you did with ready or not, immediately talks you know, like, Okay, we got to make a sequel because this is super successful.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: Did we stumble on like this giant gusher of an oil reserve. We don't know unless we make the sequel. And then if you make the sequel, then I would contend that if it is successful, a third one will be made. And now you're in franchise territory. Now you have made it. I don't think you have to make a third successful film to keep making films, right, ye, Like once you once you do two of them that are big hits, the key is unlocked.
Speaker 2: And and so.
Speaker 1: If I'm a producer, if I'm a director, if I'm a screenwriter, if I'm one of the stars, I want to have that possibility unlocked for me and I'll never know us I come up with something, maybe it sucks, maybe nobody sees it, and then and then we move on. But at least we have to take the shot. Yeah, and they took the shot.
Speaker 3: And I don't think anybody involved in this movie is going to see their career take a hit or anything. So I thought the performances were fine. This was not. I am harder on this movie only because I enjoyed the first one as much as I did. This one just kind of felt redundant. It felt like a nineties sequel. It felt like, let's just do the same thing. Yeah, and a little bit worse with no new ideas, but a lot of the familiar points are going to be there.
Speaker 2: And uh, well there was some new ideas. It just wasn't really they get.
Speaker 1: I'm all for suspending disbelief, but this was yeah, and just too. I mean that whole I mean the scene at the end. I'm not going to reveal what was going on with the ceremony scene. Yeah, I'm like, Jesus, give me a break.
Speaker 3: It was dumb. It was absolutely dumb.
Speaker 1: And then you had that one guy who kind of like he was one of the families that he he kind of didn't want to be involved, and then you had like comic relief for him in the midst of this very serious.
Speaker 3: Which if I were in this game, I would absolutely be the Middle Eastern billionaires something come out just bumping wrap beats, like clearly not really caring, just here to party. Yeah, Like, I'm not here to make life miserable. I'm just trying to enjoy mine, right, Unfortunate that I'm in this position, Like there were characters that were very interesting, and by the way, the movie broke even a box office to budget to twenty three million at the box office twenty million to make it, so technically a failure in the eyes of Hollywood, but in terms of if you and I put twenty million dollars into something that made twenty three and'd be like, well that was a really successful number. Yea, So it depends.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, I looked at the Wikipedia entry and there is no sequel section on.
Speaker 3: This for a third one one. Yeah, I mean, let's just say there is a possibility for it based on who lives and who dies. But whether or not that that happens, I doubt it. I don't think there's gonna too much of an appetite for a third one. By the way, the Hulu After Dark movie is a nasty piece of work.
Speaker 2: That's what it's called.
Speaker 3: A nasty piece of fun fact that actually there was twenty four of them, and I found a list that was ranking every Hulu After Dark movie and this was the best one.
Speaker 2: Oh really, how about that?
Speaker 3: But what's funny is it actually was one of my favorites. But my absolute favorite was right did you see all of them? Just about? Yeah? My absolute favorite was ranked twenty three out of twenty four, So what do I know? But this one was right number one. But a nasty piece of work if you guys want to see an interesting take on the same plot, not nearly as graphic.
Speaker 2: The cast.
Speaker 1: I always like to talk about the cast, Yeah, because I think the casting in this one, while with respect to Adam Brody, Andy McDowell, Henry Cherney in the first one, Kevin durand Sarah Michelle Geller, Sean Atosi, Nester Carbonell, who I'm going to talk about in a second, Catherine Newton.
Speaker 2: Oh I forget.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Yes, yeah, you've hit all the names of relevance. Okay, no offense to anyone else.
Speaker 1: So, Nestor Carbonel, I want to talk about him for a second. That dude was You didn't watch Lost, right, No, So he played a character on Lost where he doesn't age because of the island there, there's a there's some power it has in him and he doesn't age. So he's on this island like thousands, like thousands of years and he looks the exact same. He looks good, doesn't He was in the Dark Knights as the mayor, and I see him in this movie.
Speaker 2: Dude might be possessed by that power in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looks the same now as he did thirty years ago. People always say with Paul Rudd he doesn't age a yeah, he does. You can tell, don't don't give me this, this is whoy that he's not aging. He looks good for his age, but you can tell. Yeah, what you know, Nestor Carbonel, I don't see.
Speaker 2: Any aging with that. That guy may have made a deal with label as it were.
Speaker 3: And did you notice like it was a quasi I don't want to say passive aggressive because obviously the script was written and she okay in it, but like there's always a fine line in how you say these kind of things. But let's just say I remember the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show, and I remember I know what you did last summer in Cruel Intentions, and there was a long gap of no Sarah Michelle Geller. And now she's kind of re emerging, which is great for her. And there's a line in the.
Speaker 2: Movie is she re emerging? I mean, what else is she do?
Speaker 3: She was in the U, I know she did last summer, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, She's kind of been popping around here and there. But there's a line in the movie where I don't remember who she bumps into and he looks at it goes, you have an age today, And I was like, is that was that a was that a joke or was that? Because like it it resonated with me because I'm like, she looks again, it's thirty years since the projects that I'm talking.
Speaker 1: She has aged incredibly well. Yes, she does not look like she.
Speaker 2: She tell that.
Speaker 1: I would contend that she may look like she might have had some some lifting done.
Speaker 2: Yeah to her face. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: And Hollywood's a bastard. And I understand that, Like I get all those things.
Speaker 1: I always thought she kind of not that she left the industry, but that you know, she married Freddy Prince Junior and I think they had several kids together. I just always thought she was raising these kids and she wasn't working.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. And I mean also she was in an era where you did age out, like that was a thing that happened and people would disappear and then you know, come and now they can make their comebacks because we're more enlightened people.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's more enlightened I think it's a nostalgia aspect of it. You know, where we we crave, you know, like what our lives were thirty years.
Speaker 3: Ago with it maybe to a certain you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, like like our teenage years and our early twenties when the world was our oyster, everything was in front of us. And Sarah Michelle Keeller is kind of a reminder of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, were you a Buffy guy at all?
Speaker 2: No? I was not. I did not. I probably should have watched that show.
Speaker 3: But I mean I was like ten, But I mean it was horror. There was like was I scary elements to a child and I was like this is great.
Speaker 2: Well, there was that there was there was Charmed, right, those were like the two like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Supernatural, Charmed. Though I watched Buffy.
Speaker 1: I had a friend who watched it quite a bit. I was and like, I'll fully admit this, like the only WB because those are basically soap operas.
Speaker 2: They're like four or soap.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only like primetime soap I watched on w B was Dawson's Creek of.
Speaker 3: Course, never missed that. Never watched that one actually, but uh, Dawson's Creek. Yeah, never because again there's like that slight gap between you and I, and there wasn't enough to keep me interested at that age.
Speaker 1: You know. Honestly, the only reason I watched it was because of the Mighty Ducks and Joshua Jackson Mighty.
Speaker 2: Dos and I'm like, oh, he's in this. I gotta check this out.
Speaker 3: And like.
Speaker 1: Like watching the first episode and I'm like, this is not you know what I I mean, I should have realized what it was. But then he's like sleeping with his teacher in like the pilot or the second episode. I'm like, I gotta keep watching now, let's see what's what what happens here?
Speaker 2: And I ended up really liking.
Speaker 3: You know, what's funny is Buffy was such an integral part of my childhood that aliceon Hannigan was Michelle in the American Pie movies and she was I forget her name, but I watched all of How I Met Your Mother and she's one of the leads in that, and she will always when I see him, like, oh, Willows in the Problem because it's Willow from Like I don't remember her name in that every episode.
Speaker 1: You know, what's funny is like when Buffy the Vampire Slayer came out, I was like, oh, this is just me some cheap, schlocky television.
Speaker 3: Sure it was.
Speaker 2: No, No, it was I'm telling you this this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, this's be a cheap rip off of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie with Christy Swanson. Yeah, And ultimately what happened. The TV show became way bigger than the movie ever was. And now you think of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it's the television show and then like and then you hear like, oh they made a movie about that, Sarah Michelle go, No, the movie came out way before the TV.
Speaker 2: Show Wilde Wild how that works?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the movie was I mean again haven't seen it since I was a kid, But I did enjoy the movie as well. Like, I just thought that was that was a cool uh, it was a cool scenario. And again it just uh there was it was. It was just the perfect time for me. But I mean I say all that to say I have a spot near and deer in my heart for Sarah Michelle Taller because I did enjoy that series.
Speaker 2: You know J. S.
Speaker 3: Whedon, right, Yes, it was yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know the list I talk about, Yeah, but my rotating potential future wives on it.
Speaker 2: She was always top ten.
Speaker 1: She might have snuck into the top five a couple of times, but yeah, I don't know. Man like, and then she did Cruel Intentions, which was great. It was an awesome her character is great. But then I was like, ah god, I'm kind of turned off to her a little bit. She lost a little bit of.
Speaker 2: All Americas even more attractive to Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 3: I saw Cool Intentions too, And then I saw the Cruel Intentions prequel, and like you would think.
Speaker 1: I think it was was Cool Intentions three a prequel Yeah, okay, yeah, because Amy Adams was in one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to be honest, with you. None of them sucked. None of them were as good as the first one. Yeah, but none of them sucked. The first movies should suck, yeah, like the second.
Speaker 1: And that was that was sort of like like Reese Witherspoon like that. This is when she was like the wholesome yeah you know it girl. She did Fear, which was tremendous yep, and then she I think cruel Intentions came out after Fear, right, yeah, and and so so it's so funny because I say Fear the first thing I think of his roller coaster, you know, with that one, like it burned into my mind. So yeah, I mean, and then she was kind of like competing like his female leads and Sarah Michelle Geller and and Reese Withersmon competing female leads and cruel intentions, which is weird because Ryan Philippi was in there, and wasn't he married to Reese Witherspoon for a while.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what happened to his career.
Speaker 3: Well, he's the worst actor ever, so I imagine he faded off the face of the earth.
Speaker 1: I guess you ever see the Way of the Gun, The Way the Gun all Benicio del Toro. James Kahn is in it, dude, Well, I don't know if it's your cup of tea, but it's it's Julie, Julie What's what's her name from? From Dust Hill Dawn?
Speaker 3: Oh, Julian Juliet Moore, Juliet Juliet lewis.
Speaker 2: Right, she's in it as well.
Speaker 1: It's it's I mean, it's a good it's like a heist kind of caper movie, and Philippy kind of plays this like browie.
Speaker 2: Bad guy, So it's it's.
Speaker 3: Is there like a big time plot twist at the end of that movie of some kind? I've seen a movie I don't think it's involved. Oh, Jason Statham's in it. I'm thinking about that one.
Speaker 1: But he like where his acting chops aren't really you know, they're not required a whole lot.
Speaker 3: So it's just he He never did it for me. He's in some movies that I like, but he personally Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and like he was in he I think he did that was a Network with Tim Robbins, which I thought was all right. But outside of that, I'm trying to think of like good movies he was in. He was in MacGruber for God's sake, you know, like when you know, oh it's bad when you are a serious actor of Ryan Philippi's ilk and you're doing blank and mcgruber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And to take it back to Fear really quickly, because the only thing I remember from that, and it's because of always Sonny when he's punching himself, because they redo.
Speaker 2: That was good. Wahlberg was great and that yeah, yeah he was. That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should just be reviewing nineties movies because any one of these movies were saying is better than Ready or not too?
Speaker 2: Ah, Yeah, we haven't. We've been stumbled on one that was that was that was not as good as it so.
Speaker 3: And you could call that nostalgia, you could call it be younger and less cynical. But I'm telling you right now, like I said, it reminds me of a nineties sequel. But even the sequel to Cruel Intentions was better than the sequel too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean relative to what it was, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying like there's more production value here, it's not as dated.
Speaker 2: But who's in the second who's in the sequel?
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody. Okay, I I don't remember, but.
Speaker 2: There is one guy I think it was in the third one.
Speaker 1: He was in he guessed on guest it on Dawson's Creek for like a six episode arc or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, anyway, I've I'm.
Speaker 3: Done, I've expired on.
Speaker 2: How long did we make it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's a pretty standard. Uh, we're what fifty minutes, but we kind of pissed around a little bit at the beginning.
Speaker 2: We did a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, listen this, I don't think that when we look back and if you were listening to this, and you know, after you saw the movie, I think your expectations are probably meant of what kind of podcast this was going to be.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot to break down, get who lost piece this movie? There's one thing you take away from this podcast, watch a nasty piece of work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I promise it'll be much more enjoyable than especially if you liked the first one.
Speaker 1: I will say, just as far as acting performances go, tomorrow, Weaving was pretty good again in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, she's good.
Speaker 1: And everything Catherine Newton I thought was solid. Yeah, outside of.
Speaker 3: That, you want to laugh. I'm on mashable dot com. That's where I got the list of Hulu movies. And for every one of the Hulu movies, it says for fans good for fans of and it lists movies in the first one that's listed on this is Ready or Not. Wait a minute, for good for fans of Colon, And then it lists and yeah, but what movie a nasty piece of work?
Speaker 1: Is good if you're a fan of Readier? Yes, or Ready or Not? How about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And also your next, which is obviously, you know, kind of the inspiration of this movie. What's your next? Also instead of Ready or Not? Too realistically, either one of those would be better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say this, like, like you all the best bits and the best tropes from the Ready or Not idea is they're all in.
Speaker 2: The first one.
Speaker 1: There's like, yes, like you said, like, there's these generic not generic, there's these manufactured tropes in the second one that just don't hit the same way, so you don't need to bother.
Speaker 3: The only one, just to end on a positive note, is they still do a good job of making the wealthy people getting their hands dirty look inept. There are very funny moments in this that stem from these people don't do their own stuff. Yeah, so like they do a good job of that in the first one. Yeah, and they did a good job with it here.
Speaker 1: If you like the comedy in the first one, I don't think you'll be let down in the second one from a comedic standpoint, like there was there was some moments that well we brought up the one montage that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that by far, and even the lead up into it the rocket launcher, Like there's so many moments that I'm like, this is the best scene, like it is by far?
Speaker 1: Did you see that that thing coming with the rocket launch I was, I was like, I don't know if this is gonna yea oh it.
Speaker 3: Was so good. Yeah. But I mean, realistically, I would say, just because I know I gave Mathriagan two point zero five, I'm gonna go five point five because this was better than Mathreegan, so that I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what I gave with threegan, but it had to be low.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I feel like we were both in the I was gonna give one of three and a half. Oh really you think this was as good as freaking undertone?
Speaker 2: What did I give Undertone.
Speaker 3: I feel like we were in the three three and a half range.
Speaker 2: So I'll go four and a half.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: If I gave Undertone a three and a half, i gotta go higher.
Speaker 3: I have not stopped complaining about that movie to people, like since last week.
Speaker 1: I just think it's a matter of like expectations going in, Like if we knew it was a half million dollar budget, we would have been like it would have been, it would have been much more palatable.
Speaker 3: I suppose I have almost a higher threshold for that. I'm like, all right, well, these guys are really going to give it to me. But like we've been, we've been missing. I'll eventually I will see they want to kill us, like probably when it's streaming somewhere. Yeah, And I'll just randomly bring it up on this podcast to be like, just so you know, we did mess up, because I have a feeling. I just someone at the movie theater. I'm walking out. I'm just rambling at this one. But I'm walking out and they look at me and they say, oh, I didn't see ready or not too I did they want to kill us? I'm like we were back and forth between those they were like, oh, It's like what happens if Sam Ramie and Quentin Tarantina made a movie together. And I said that description actually makes me so angry. Didn't see this?
Speaker 2: Oh no, you didn't see that one. Yeah. I'm like, I'm like, oh my god, really this is the sounds.
Speaker 3: Tremendous, I know, And I was like, no, I saw ready or not too and it was very milk toast, thank you, thank you, So maybe see that. Not an endorsement. Haven't seen it yet, but the people at the theater seem to be big fans of what that one was. And we may have missed and we're going into the realm of the one of the more bankable stars in Hollywood, and I really feel like we gota can't miss next week.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I was gonna ask you about that. So we're doing Project tail Mare. Yeah, okay, I really love this film just as a teaser for our next show. I really loved it. Uh stir Fry that I work with, who hates everything, he brought it up to me like I wasn't even talking about it and he's like, hey, that was that movie was pretty good. I'm like, yeah, it was pretty good. So I'm excited to talk about that one with you, and then.
Speaker 2: That I got nothing, Okay, so then we have to I mean, we could talk this next week.
Speaker 1: But I think the only one on the hopper is Scream seven, which neither one of us has seen yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I have to believe that'll be out of theaters by then.
Speaker 2: Okay, then we may have to come up with something else.
Speaker 1: But the next big one that comes out, and I just looked at wide releases, there could be some limited ones we could take a look at. Is the Super Mario Brothers Galaxy movie, which I really don't want to do. Yeah, perfect, because I was like, if Ben fights for it, I'll do it. But I really don't want That's not right. It doesn't really fit in with what we do.
Speaker 3: So I saw the first one when it went on Netflix. I didn't go see it or anything like that. And I my friends who are gamers, they're talking like, what'd you think about it? And I was like, if I was a kid, forget about it. Yes, I was like, you will never convince me that there was a script to that movie. Just showed up every day like, okay, what are we going to say today? Jack Flack's over there, just jerking around with some music. They're like, oh, we're putting that in the movie, like you know, that's how that's how that movie came to be. And I have a feeling the sequel will probably be that as well, So we'll figure it out over the course of the next couple of weeks. Here, the live action Mario Brothers movie was better than the cartoon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Wow, strong words and on that note.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Guys. We'll be back next week with Project He'll Marry