Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we Do what we Do. Welcome to Why we Do what we Do. I am your lexically diverse host, Abraham.
Speaker 2: And I am your grammatically interested host Shane.
Speaker 1: We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do. And this is a second part to a discussion we've been having about African American Vernacular English or AAVE. So if you didn't hear the first part, that sets a lot of the groundwork for understanding the history of this, why it's relevant, why we're talking about it, etc. Some terms and phrases and things to know about it. But this second part is going to focus more on some of the grammar and structure and components of this dialect, which I think is very interesting in one of the things that I was looking forward to talking about in this discussion. So that's where we find ourselves today. So if you're joining us for the first time, then welcome. We hope you enjoy what you hear in this podcast, and you might benefit from going to check out the first part of this if you haven't heard it already. But as always, we try and have everything stand as alone as possible, so do a brief recap of what we discussed last time. But if you're a returning person, then welcome back. I'm glad that you continue to seek us out. And either way, if you like to support us, who can join us on Patreon, leave us a rating and review, like subscribe, tell a friend, etc. But I think that's what we have to say about that part of this. I'll talk more about the ways you can support us at the end of this discussion. But today is June twenty fourth, so happy Celebration of the senses everyone.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes, It's also International Fairy Day, okay.
Speaker 1: And as Museum Comes to Life Day. I feel like they made a movie about this.
Speaker 2: There's I think a couple of them. Even It's National Parchment Cooking Day cool and National Praleens Day yup, tasty or prowleens, depending on where you're at and what you prefer, but I call them praleens. Ni. It is swim all Ap Day.
Speaker 1: It is Amateur Radio Week.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. It's also carpenter Ant Awareness Week, so watch out for those aunt built tables exactly.
Speaker 1: It is Fish Our Friends not food Week. I agree with this.
Speaker 2: I like that. And it's National Forgiveness Week.
Speaker 1: I like that too. Well, talking about the holidays is fun, but that's probably not why you're here, I don't think, not sure, But anyway, we just do that as a brief segment at the beginning. So if that's why you're here, then have good rest of your day. But otherwise, we're gonna dive into our topic DJOR, which, as I said, is our follow up to last week's episode discussing African American Vernacular English or aav E. We'll get into more of that today, but before we do that, is there anything that I'm aster you'd like to add or are we ready to dive into or topic?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, I think the only thing I would say is I think we need to do a quick recap before we get too far into it. But yeah, nothing outside of that, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, yeah, perfect, Let's do a quick discussion about what we said last time in unpacking some of the history and importance here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So last week we talked about the idea that African American Vernicular English, or in some spaces more colloquially known as a bonyx unfortunately, is a dialect of English, and just as a reminder, we use the terms dialect ethn elect and socio elect, which referred to the dialect being a variety of language that has distinguished vocabulary, grammar pronunciation within a language, ethno elect being that the language is very specific to a particular ethnic or cultural group, and socio elect being that the specific dialector jargon belonged to a particular social group. And so AAVE itself is described as a dialect and eth elect and a socio elect because it does often apply to working class Black Americans in particular areas, and so that's where it had come from. Historically, it has a pretty interesting kind of like background. We don't really know where it emerged or where it started officially, but we do know that it may have been doun in Virginia and Maryland, moved to the Carolinas, may have started by including African languages and Creole variations and mixed it with American English. There's lots of kind of things from there. But doctor Robert Williams coined the term at bonics, originally saying that it was ebony black and phonics sounds to create a bonics. That term is no longer used because it is more advanced than that, and we kind of covered that in the episode, but at this point in time, we do want to kind of point out that this started in the seventies, like the actual official terms now. In ninety six, the Oakland Unified School District pass resolution to require AVE resources as a teaching option and like making sure that was included in English courses, and that caused a whole bunch of hubbub and resulted in lots of litigation and public dissent and all of these things, and eventually the resolution was retracted and then just kind of used as an option. So that's kind of where we ended up. And today we're still seeing some fallout from this and even some legal precedents for the use of AAVE in places like courtrooms where stenographers are not accurately transcribing language when AAV is in place. We saw this famously in the trayvon Martin case, where a testimony was perceived as incomprehensible despite the fact that the person, Rachel Jantelle, her testimony used a lot of AAVE dialect and basically the system did not capture that in a really meaningful way for her.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things that definitely stood I was a really good summary. By the way. One of this one of the things that definitely stood out to me is a key sort of take home point from our discussion last week, is that it's important to consider that this the AAV is its own dialect, Like researchers have looked at this and it is like a cohesive language, and that there are aspects of this that are treated as if it's like some diluted version of English, which it is not, and that that is largely sort of been orchestrated by groups who are I mean, really, for a lack of another way to say this, like this it feels very racially motivated. It's like, sure, we can't appreciate that a dialect may have emerged without saying that with and just that that's what it is, without accusing it of being like a lesser version of something because we can associate that dialogue with a particular group of people, and like that seems to be very common strategy of conservatives more broadly, particularly in political spaces, is to lean on that and to use this as a fear mongeringa of like, look what happens these people are destroying our language is like a thing that they kind of say, but that's really not what's happening it. Like many languages, it just has this history of convergence of other influences from different languages that just kind of shaped it into its own little dialect. And it's like, obviously it has a lot of English components in it, that's what a dialect is. But many languages have variety in their dialect because of a particular region or group or something where it happens to be the case that people communicate in a slightly different way, but it's pretty close to like the language that they sort of brand like diverged from in their evolutionary trajectory. But that doesn't make it any less than that original language, or make that other language more than that one. Like it happens all over the place that dialects emerge, and so yeah, I think just a really critical key component in my mind that we left with was understanding that this is a language, and it is it is its own dialect, and we do a disservice to people who use this dialect by assuming that we should be able to just understand them in the same way that they should be able to understand us. That there's like some barrier there that is like their problem and not our problem.
Speaker 2: Right well, and I think another thing too, And we kind of talked about this in the American English episode, where language is one of the ways that people will other other groups of people, Right, Yeah, this is a really easy way for people to go, Oh, you don't speak what is considered professional, or you don't speak any clear dialect, you don't speak in a way that I understand. And because I'm in power, this is what we're gonna do. I mean, this has been Language has been one of the ways that people in power have tried to oppress other people for centuries in millennia, So like this is just this is just showing up in a different way than maybe what we have seen in the past in terms of how we're talking about it. But the sentiment is the same, which is anybody who's using this and this is you know, per people of power and how they kind of look at this. If you're using AVE, then you're not speaking professionally, so that you're not qualified, you're not educated, Da da da. And this is kind of one of the quote unquote kind of like surface level arguments that they'll make. But ultimately it just becomes a question of racism and racist systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that is a good way to sort of summarize what we discussed last time. Either it's a great reminder for those of you who heard it, or it is a primer for those of you who did not hear and don't want to go back and listen. But either way, I think that gives us a sufficient enough background that we can transition now to the rest of the discussion we have qu'ed up for today, which is again discussing sort of the grammatical structural components of this and how it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So at this point, you've probably heard some of the episodes and you've probably thinking about this, and you're going, well, what makes AAV different than other dialects, or what makes it a dialect? That is, its separate structure when it comes to the grammar, syntax, some of the verbs, and the language it's in it like, what makes it different? And so I'm glad you asked you language dogs, We're here to give you that the first thing that comes up in aave, or at least one of the characteristic it's not the first thing one of the characters that we should talk about is the habitual B B E.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not the insect.
Speaker 2: Not the insect. No, that habitual be is a very different, different situation. Yeah, the habitual B B E refers to the addition of the word B where a verb is present. So in a sentence where you already stated a verb B is added to that sentence as part of the dialect. Also, the omission of B changes the phrase that's as it's being said. So we're going to use the example of he is working. I thought this was a good example as I was kind of studying this. This was what the one of the ones that was pulled up. So we might say in standard English, he is working. Right, You've let the verb is working, you know all that stuff like, there's all there's there's things going on there, right, So what I'm not an English major, but just know that that's that's generally a sentence structure. If I said he'd be working, that means that the person is regularly working. That's basically saying he's arguably working all the time, he is working consistently. That's what he be working means. But if I change it to say he working where I've omitted the B, that would suggest present tense, and that the person is actively and currently working. He is at work today, So you can see like just the addition and the omission of the habitual B can change the grammar structure inside of this. He is working is what we might normally hear. He be working means that they regularly work. He working means that he is currently at work at this moment.
Speaker 1: It's actually clearer, i think, than how English tends to work by itself, which is kind of funny. One of the things that makes English difficult is there's a whole class of B verbs. Many of the Romance languages or the Roman languages have these as well, but many languages don't have any B verbs. So B verbs are is, are was, or will be and am. Those are the B verbs, and they're all a conjugate version of the concept of to be bee. It makes a sentence actually more complicated to change what they are because it depends on whether it's a plural or singular noun, whether it's past or present tense or future tense, and it also changes the conjugation of the following verb that comes after the B verb. So it's a complex system that's very confusing and there are many languages that don't have those B verbs at all. I'm given to understand, and I'm not a scholar in this, that American Samoan does not use be verbs, and I'm sure that's just an example. I just happened to know someone who knows that language and speaks that language, and they're like, yeah, they don't really use be verbs. American sign language doesn't really use B verbs, and like they are a little bit superfluous, but I can see actually in using them, that is, in the way that they're used in AAVE actually kind of makes them more clear anyway, using or not using them. So anyway, be verbs are just complicated and they're not necessary to like communicate effectively. So it's an interesting aspect of language grammatically speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and in Spanish too, like B verbs are conjugated multiple ways, but there are two different general B verbs that are used to describe either like a permanent state or a temporary state. So you've got a star, which is like usually a zuastoi or ostead, well instead is you. But like when I say yosoi, if I say yosoi alto, right, I am tall, that is a permanent state, right, but if I say justoi canzado, where I'm saying I'm tired, that's a temporary state. So like, you might use different B verbs to describe either a permanent or temporary state, depending on how you're communicating. So like, even other languages have varying ways that B verbs are used.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes a lot of sense. They be like that, ads be like that too. All right, we're back. We've been discussing the habitual b the use of B verbs as they occurrent across various languages, and as an aspect that makes AAVE somewhat different from English, I guess, and some other dialects. But the next one is called a copula deletion. So in grammar and linguistics, a copula is a connecting link between words. We see this often when using the B verb is to connect a noun to a verb, and in AAVE we might see an omission of a copula and a sentence she is smart could change to she smart, sort of as we were just discussing. But it doesn't always have to be just B verbs.
Speaker 2: And again, like I think that when we unpack the structure of the grammar of AAV, these are important features of it right, which is the habitual be the odmission of the habitual be the copula deletion. These are different examples of what it might look like. Another one is the stressed bin b N, which is also remote present perfect. So this refers to the use of bin when discussing an action that's already been completed. So something has already been done at this point in time, right, and you can kind of hear I'm already saying it's been done. Right, So if you take a sentence like I've already done that, it would change to I've been done that, Or if you use the sentence I've known her, you would change it to i've been knowing her. That's what that looks like. When we have the stressed bin been is like kind of like it's in the sentence. It's added to the sentence, but it like it emphasizes and actually describes different things. I've been knowing her means I've known her for a long time. You know, I've been done that means I've already completed this. It's in the past. It's something that we don't need to worry about anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the perfect tense often has the word have or had in it, and so this kind of just drops that word. But again that words only function is kind of an artifact of the fact that we have always used it that way, right like I have been or I had been. They don't necessarily communicate a lot, I mean, not nothing like there are like we use them in specific ways, but they are kind of the fact that like that's just how we spoke, but the word and that's what the perfect tenses are. I don't know why they're called perfect because I would just describe them as imperfect in terms of how functional they are, right, But anyway, that just another grammatical thing to know. Another one is multiple negation or negative concord. Multiple negations sound like what you'd think. This is the use of multiple negative words and a sentence to emphasize the apparent negation. An example here is I don't want anything changes to I don't want nothing, And I know weird Al did a bit about this, who's sort of making fun of Eminem where he said like, I ain't got nothing against nobody and he's like, wow, a triple negative. He's like, you do have something against somebody. But yeah, the logic there being that like when people treat it almost like symbolic logic, that it's like, negation means change direction from this part of the sentence to this part of the sentence instead, A double negation kind of in these sense means like it's a double emphasis on the fact that it's a negated yeah, right, which I understand why people might get confused about it, But it's not like it actually changes the meaning. You understand, like, I ain't got nothing to do with that is a double negation that I think you would actually hear someone who is not using AAV say and that is a double negation, And it is just to emphasize the negation itself, not to contradict oneself.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, I was thinking about this one a lot, because you know, I feel like I hear people correct negations a lot when people say something. You know, It's like I hear at least English teachers do this a lot. And I thought about this, and I was like, it doesn't change the understanding or the comprehension or the social context of the statement, right right, Like, Okay, if I said this, I don't want anything versus I don't want nothing, you understand that both of those things mean the same thing. So what you're doing is you're applying what could be argued as an arbitrary rule to a socially valid statement and now it's unnecessary. And I think when we talk about like social social engagement and social comprehension, so it's something I was just thinking about that as it was kind of like I don't want nothing is very clear. You understand what the person's saying. If you don't understand what the person is saying, then either you're trying not to understand what the person is saying, or you don't have a grasp enough on the social context to understand what they're saying. But like it was one of those things where I just kind of like, you know what they're saying. Now you're just being a jerk. It's like when people get into arguments and then they're instead of arguing a logical point, they just correct people's grammar. Sure, it's like you understand what they're saying, Like you don't need to be that person, like you already understand what they're saying, you.
Speaker 1: Know, And I think there's a place for intentionally doing this where you intend to use the double negation to negate the second part, meaning like I could say something like I'm not not hungry, and I'm basically using the first knot to negate the second knot, and you could use it in that intentional way. But again, I think even when we do that, we tend to say in a way that where we use the inflection of our voice to emphasize how we're using the negation itself, right, And so again you get from context what is being meant there. And I think people might hear like, well, you shouldn't have to depend on context, and I would argue you are always depending on contact. There are a lot of things that we say that are different heard versus written down versus spoken versus like, however, they're communicated and said in different languages, and like I would argue, most of the things we say, we're depending on context for those things to make any amount of sense. And in particular, if I were to just shout a bunch of random words at you that are decontextualized, you'd be very confused. I'm like, electric boogo loogobooo, and you're like, okay, I understood part of that, I think, but and obviously those aren't even really words. But but the point being that like decontextualized words don't mean anything either, So it's it's always going to be part of the conversation of what's actually happening. You just use that. And of course we have things like as I mentioned, our inflections and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Right, I was thinking about that with the I don't want nothing, right like, if I said I don't want nothing like, that's like pretty chill, pretty. But if I said I don't want nothing like, that tells me that that person is pretty maybe upset or irritated or they don't like you enough, like you know, I could see there's a lot of things that could come out of that just by the emphasis, and I think that really matters. But again that's social clues, that's context and that does that does matter. That makes a huge difference.
Speaker 1: You could also say I don't want nothing and that way like that that actually does use the first negation right to change the direction of the second one. And so yeah, again and it's contextual, but you would you would get from that that situation like what you're communicating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. Another critical feature of AVE is something called final consonant cluster reduction. Now, in the case where words are blended where they have a blended constant sound. Like let's use the examples passed in hand AV will see the omission of the second consonant sound. For example, hand becomes hand or past becomes pass, So instead of saying past, you drop the T sound, or in hand you drop the D sound, and it's hand or pass and and that's just kind of a feature of the dialect. And you might be going, well, why you know, why are we talking about this, Like, like it's one of those things where I've you see this final consonant cluster reduction. This is actually pretty common in a lot of dialects, not specifically AVE, But what it is is in the key feature here is that you've got a dialect that has a feature of other dialects inside of it. So it is worth accounting for in the understanding of linguistics.
Speaker 1: Well, and those consonant blends are they're kind of hard to make. They're hard to teach, They're hard for kids to learn how to do. Like eventually we get fluent at doing them, but it does take a lot of learning because you have to position your mouth in such a way that you're making multiple hard sounds consecutively. I mean that's tricky, and it's you know, we see some Nordic languages where they've got like eleven consonants in a row, and we're like, I don't even I don't even know where to start with that, right, Like how do how do I make those sounds in that order? And to them it seems fairly straightforward, but we're looking at it like a little bit fuddled and scared of like how we're possibly going to make all those sounds happen. But like, we also do a version of this all the time, so it actually kind of makes sense to try and separate the consonant sounds or drop them altogether, because they're hard to put all those sounds into like one consecutive string of sounds, right, And that's why I think you often will even hear kids struggle with this who are like learning English as their native language to have a little bit of trouble making some of those sounds come together. As you said, I think of like the word contempt has three concept sounds at the end MP, and those are like they're fortunately right at the front of your mouth, so they kind of can kind of go umped together. But it does take like a specific orientation because you actually have to go at your lips, out your lips, and back to your teeth right to pronounce it. And I think you see this in similar other ways that this has maybe shown up. I'm not sure if if we'll get to but like in the word ask becomes acts really commonly, and I always felt like it was harder to say acts than ask. But if you actually think about it, like you start with your mouth open ah to a case sound where your mouth is still open, but you move the concept to the back to and now your mouth is closed, it actually does kind of follow a more a progression of like front to back, open to closed as opposed to front closed, open again or open closed, open again, and the way that you normally pronounce it. So there's there's probably some and if we have any like speech path people who are probably yelling at their ses and like try and try to explain this all to us, I'm sorry, feel free to write in and tell us what we're getting right, what we're getting wrong about this. But I'm thinking about sort of the tongue and glottal placements that make some of these sounds easier or harder to do when you've got a look consecutively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely one of the words I was thinking of, Like I was thinking about don't sometimes become don't like like you don't really like you don't really emphasize that, or like advertisement, We don't even go that far. We just say at.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So much of English is like modern contemporary English has so many portmanteaus and and then like words that have just dropped sections of words all a tay it Like who actually says miscellaneous anymore?
Speaker 2: We say misk yeah, or.
Speaker 1: If you say anything at all, And there's there's so many like that where it's like I don't even know if people actually know what the original word was, especially people struggle.
Speaker 3: With yeah express espresso.
Speaker 2: Like right boom, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot that it's just like we just have a weird language, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's a particularly difficult language. Too many words.
Speaker 1: So we were deconstructing a lot of the sort of grammar and characteristic components of what makes a ave distinct. So let's get into again sort of unpacking and I say again because we do this every episode, not because we've already done it in this episode, right, but unpacking the sort of scientific view here and we're thinking about this psychologically speaking, behaviorally speaking, how do we start to think about and unpack this in that way as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, just like any dialect, any language structure is going to be shaped by local or regional factors, terms common to the area, what matters to folks. I mean, we've talked about the Inuit folks and how they have many words for snow and how it's used. We've like, just what we find is that language itself is always shaped up by local needs, what's relevant to the folks that are in that area, and a lot of times those social contexts that shape up and kind of create new words and slang and whatnot too. I mean, like the dictionary. We talk about the dictionary, talked about it before, but like terms like creepy were invented, because every word is invented, but creepy was invented and became a very popular word and ended up in the dictionary, and that was simply because of social context. Right. So, so language and dialect is always shaped up by this.
Speaker 1: Stuff and it changes. It just constantly, constantly changes. I mean you even read books from Native English speakers from two hundred years ago and they are challenging to read, yes, because the version of English that they used two hundred years ago is just it's getting far away from the kind of English we're using today. And that's just like, that is just how language is. Language just changes, it just does, it always has, it always will right, and there's really no point in trying to like isolate it to one specific version of itself. The only point of language really is to be able to communicate effectively with your audience.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: As long as it's doing that, it is doing it right. There is really no wrong way to do it aside from ineffective communication. And like, the argument is not let's have everyone on Earth speak the same language, although that would solve some problems. The argument is like, let's just be able to move with the like roll with the punches, like let it flow and figure out how we're going to adapt as it changes. And there I think are even broader conversations about this in terms of like there's been discussions people have had about how, like how do we make signage for things that are like super dangerous, like where we've buried nuclear waste for example, that like if something happens a thousand years from now, will people be able to read and understand the signage that we've left because it might be so far away from where their language is that it doesn't mean anything. So it's like, can we are pictographs clear enough? Or will that look esoteric and bizarre and they won't know what it means?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like will we keep updating the signage as the language evolves so that it remains clear? Or like what if these things are lost and they find them and there's no way there's no record to get back to what they once communicated, Like can we find this when we're uncovering artifacts of language all the time that we can't just translate directly what people were saying because we it's been lost in some capacity. So anyway, the whole point is just that, like, language changes, and we just want to do our best to communicate and continue to communicate with each other and to a point communicate throughout time like over time, but have messages remain. But that was a huge side tangent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're good. So here's the thing when we talk about science and how linguistics worked, and we've kind of already alluded to this, but linguistics and language are often used as a means to other or gate key people based on demographic characteristics. We know this, so villainizing something like aave is a tactic that is often used by white supremacist systems to prevent black folks who use aave from getting into spaces where they deserve to be because of white supremacy and white power. And so this is apparent when arguments online. You see this a lot. Arguments online are often carved down to pointing out someone's poor grammar instead of making legitimate arguments. And I kind of mentioned that earlier. But what we have found is, like studies have shown that something as simple as a name can prevent people from entering certain employment opportunities because of differences in or annunciation or pronunciation. So like grammar is also just another one of those things. Linguistics is another one of those things that is used to prevent people from getting into space as they deserve to be in. It's just a way to gatekeep, and we know that to be true from just something as simple as accents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very much so, and definitely is being used I think in that way in this country is like is an attempt to sort of gatekeep and other and social reinforcement, which is to say, like the way we continue to select and accept our communication through cultural selection continues to evolve in language over time. As I was same before. At this point, we're talking about a dialect that has already evolved over a couple hundred years, like this has been going on, and so it really has just shaped up to be its own dialect version here and cultural and regional factors are going to act upon the language used and shape it into the unique thing that it is and will become. And that's also true of English by the way, Like although our language, like every language, we could read something from two hundred years ago and it is challenging to read. We can still read it, and for the most part, I think we'll understand it. But it is challenging, and it's only going to continue to grow increasingly distinct from us over time because like all languages do this, they just kind of evolve and change and shape each other in particular. So like sometimes languages will kind of converge, sometimes they'll kind of diverge, sometimes they'll kind of just run in parallel to each other. Right, it doesn't really matter ultimate Like there again, there's not a right or wrong way to do this here, it's just are we communicating with each other?
Speaker 2: Right? Absolutely another thing too, I think that's really fascinating, and this is maybe something this might be its own episode one day. But language development and dialects are also they could be considered a form of resistance. So ownership of language allows oppress groups to reclaim identities and isolate oppressers. So with the development is something like AAVE. One of the kind of side effects I won't say this is kind of like the ultimate goal of it, but one of the side effects of it is that it kind of iced out and kept out people who did not belong to the n group, to the group that spoke AAVE and used that dialect. It isolated people who were their oppressors. And so functionally it allows members of the community to communicate without monitoring. And we saw this a lot, especially among black slaves in the United States. Resistance movements can use unique language and unique dialects to share messages or write songs or poetry or poems about this and using this language that is indecipherable from the oppressors. And actually you see this a lot in the United States and at Black America where you talk about spirituals and sorrow songs. So there's one song called Wade in the Water that I really enjoy in terms of like the history, I think it's really unique. But what Wade in the Water did was it shared messages. It was a spiritual as a sorrow song that was shared among groups of slaves and slave peoples, I should say, and they would give hints on how to escape and how to like get free. So like in the lyrics, it says, wade in the water, Wade in the water, children, wage in the water. Gods are going to trouble the water. See that host all dressed in white. God's going to trouble the water. The leader looks like in Israel, like God's going to trouble the water. See that band all dressed in red. And then you know there's kind of the refrain of God's going to trouble the water throughout it looks like the band Moses led. Look over yonder, what do you see the Holy Ghost of coming on me? If you don't believe I've been redeemed, just follow me down to the Jordan's stream. And when you hear that, you go, oh, that's biblical, it's lovely, and it does align with a lot of that. But essentially what this was saying was if you escape via the water, through the streams and the rivers, the dogs can't chase you. Like this is a way that you can escape some of these places. And so just like I bring this up because the song itself is not part of av itself, but is an example of how language and dialect and all that can be used to help support oppressed peoples.
Speaker 1: We actually talked about this a little bit in our episode on English accents and the Cockney rhyming slang, which was developed specifically so that they could communicate with each other in a way that couldn't necessarily be understood readily by passers by. And they were among sort of the lower class people who are sort of like hockeying their wares on the street and whatnot and doing their best to get by and could have been otherwise oppressed by the people who had more authority and more power. So they tried to essentially have a system to communicate that would allow them to speak freely to one another without being expressly understood by some people who might otherwise try and do them harm. So yeah, I think it is an interesting way to sort of form those resistance, those like unifying aspects of a community driven by necessity that turn into a dialect on all its own. Yeah, all right, we do have some interesting tidbits to get to as well, and that does not include ads because those are not interesting, but they are tidbits.
Speaker 2: They're tids.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. Let's discuss some of the some other sort of interesting things here and about aave. So many examples of aaev are aa V I'm gonna try and say that really clearly are found in popular music, including Nina Simones It bes that way sometime, or Vera Hall's trouble so hard, specifically the line don't nobody know my trouble but God, And that's got that negative concord that we discussed earlier.
Speaker 2: Yep, you got two Boxer Corps straight ball on where he says and getting ghosts on the five ozho. The five zero meaning police sows like a particular term in the dialect used to describe police and specific to that area California. So slang turns into a particular word inside of the dialect, now becomes part of the vernacular and here we are. It's it's widely used in AAV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then ll cool jays control myself. The line quote she said her name Shaida. That's an example of the absence of the copula that we described.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yeah. So instead of saying she said her name is Shaida, right, Yeah, just to kind of like really highlight that. Another thing. Much of gen z or TikTok slang, which it's just it's good, It's gonna be so funny saying this stuff because I just feel like, as a middle aged man, I shouldn't be saying we're so old. But a lot of TikTok slang and gen z slang is derived from a V as well as queer and southern slang. If you hear your kids talking and it doesn't make any sense, it's likely some slang from somewhere, But that slang is derived from not only AV but queer and southern slang. So a couple of them include slag period or period. Right. I know you change the end sound on it, don't my daughter. My daughter doesn't listen to this, but if she listens, she would be so embarrassed.
Speaker 3: Right now, I think everyone listening to us is a little even myself, I'm a little embarrassing sense right, So no cap fina bet t receides throwing shade.
Speaker 2: This is all slang that comes from these like marginalized groups, ave spaces, queer spaces, Like slang is coming from those spaces. They're not They're not generally made up by affluent white folks.
Speaker 1: Word probably word is what the word is one yeah, yeah yeah, and sick yeah, but yeah, I mean the things they developed changes over time. Just like ASL, as we mentioned it's its own language, there is black ASL developed in black deaf schools, is a dialect of ASL, just like AAVE is a dialect of English for those of you who don't know. ASL stands for American Sign Language, so it stands to reason that there would be dialects. Do have a plan for this as an upcoming episode in the near ish future ASL, so be on the lookout for that. We're want to get into it.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 1: It is kind of interesting too, and we'll talk about this more in that. But like, there are very regional differences in ASL for how some words are signed that sometimes they're very different from each other, and some of them are you know, sort of minor differences, and some of them is just a sign that has changed over time. But ASL, like its own language, has also evolved. Anyway, I'm getting off off track. There are these dialects also of ASL, in this case example black ASL, but it's just like any other dialect of language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to talk about ASL because I learn that I have a Southern drawl in sign language from an interpreter and told me I sound like I'm from deep Georgia apparently with the way that my ASL is, So I can't wait to talk about that.
Speaker 1: Cool good to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even though my family's from Pittsburgh and I have a more northern accident except for when I say, y'all. Now, av isn't the only black dialect and spoken in the US, And I think that's also something really valuable to know. Gulla or Geechee or gee Chi, I think it's Geechee is spoken in South Carolina and Georgia, so that is one dialect that is kind of unique to that area region. And there's also Louisiana Creole, which is a French lexified language and primarily spoken in Louisiana and parts of Gulf Coast Florida. So when we talk about how dialects show up, Louisiana Creole is very unique and very interesting because it's got that French kind of flavor to it. As a matter of fact, though we the company I work at, we get a lot of folks on the West coast of Florida who speak Creole, a version of Creole, and we have to enlist interpreters, and there are interpreter services for folks. It's be Creole for many funding sources because of the amount of folks that do it. So there are resources that exist for dialects like Louisiana Creole, but it's so interesting that there's not for ave, you know harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would guess that maybe it is harder to pin it down to a specific race, so it doesn't have the same force of sort of racism behind it that would otherwise be a campaign against it. So it's like just more accepted. Even though it's kind of funny to think about that Creole was one of the influences over a ve like it's part of how it developed. So anyway, that's where we're at, folks, that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's one of those things where the more we talk about it, the less it makes sense. But you know, because you just go like, why can't we just why can't we just move forward with this? But people just really have a hard time whenever it comes to you know, we'll say it bluntly, white folks in power have a really hard time with black folks and unfortunately the United States or people of color, and it's just really unfortunate. And the only reason that we were doing this episode is because this has come up in those spaces, Like I mean, aav is in its own right, unique and powerful and it's its own identity and it's it's worth highlighting. But the reason that we even started talking about this is because of the controversy in the United States that came up with it. And this is why it came to the forefront and kind of like why we wanted to study it a little bit more and understand it for what it is, not for it's controversy. You know.
Speaker 1: I do think I'll try and play a little bit Devil's advocate here just to help I think if people have questions, I'm trying to anticipate what those might be. And I think one of the questions or thoughts that someone might have is to or trying to understand where a hesitancy to embrace this as a dialect might come from. And I'm guessing that there are people who hear aave and understand so much of it sounds like the English they're used to speaking that they feel like they're like, I get it, but I don't, and the it's like, how am I supposed to interpret this? Because it's like I do recognize these words, but I don't really understand what's being said, and that there's probably just a lack of comprehension about how to interact with this unique dialect that exists, and also the fact that I think they probably don't recognize that it's its own dialect. And the other question I would guess that people might have is if they haven't necessarily learned aave, should they try to? Should they learn just to be able to understand it, or should they try and speak it? Like what would what's the recommendation as far as like what they should do to interact with people who primarily speak using aave and not knowing like does it feel like it's racist for them to then try and use that same kind of language setup when they're communicating. And again I'm not saying that like that doesn't have its own sort of problematic sources in some spaces, but trying to understand I think where people might hear this and be like Okay, maybe where they're fully on board with like Okay, this is its own dialect. We can be fine with that, now what and sort of it's just sort of where to go from that? So do you have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that many times people struggle with something like this because they don't comprehend it or they're afraid, right, Like they're afraid of being isolated, they're afraid of Like it's if you've ever been in a space where you don't speak a language and everybody around you is speaking a language, and you don't have understanding of what they're saying, like, it can be really disorienting, but it can also be very like like you kind of go like, oh, I feel left out, and I think people, you know, I think that's I think that's part of the conversation, is that people will feel left out if they can't understand what is being said.
Speaker 1: Good point.
Speaker 2: And when I say can't understand being said, Like when I say that, I simply mean they just don't speak the language. That does not mean that the person who's speaking the dialect needs to conform to the listener's language. Rather, it just means that, Like, you know, it's it's important understand that. That's so much of where I think discrimination comes from is like that space of I don't understand this, it's different from me, so I can't allow this to happen. And honestly, I see that more than anything else.
Speaker 1: Very fair and that's helpful too, But you know, I just wanted to be able to sort of land on people hearing this and maybe not sure what to do next, and so wanted to sort of have that.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think education is the solution for everything, right, like spending time studying, spending time like reading about it, spending time like really diving into it. I mean this is as we were getting into this episode, Like I learned so much just from doing some of the research on this, Like I understood the AAV was its own dialect, but I just didn't understand the depth and breadth of it, right, Like because growing up in the nineties, you always heard that it was this thing and it was kind of always like dismissed. But the truth is, like it's got a lot more power to it, And I think that when you spend time understanding it from that perspective, Like I mean with you spending time studying asl it's kind of the same thing. Like the more you understand and the more you learn about it, the more powerful it becomes, and the more important for the community it becomes, and the more welcoming of it you become, and the more you know, Like there's so many things that happen with education around it. So I think if you're if you're somebody who is not sure what to do, I think that's the thing. It's like, I think the education is just spending time reading about it, learning about it, understanding it, like holding it in your hand and turning it around and looking at every facet. I think that's really where you go, Yeah, trying to get immersed.
Speaker 1: I think if you want to try and like understand it, like try and see if you can find a place like watch watch content creators who use aave and get just like get immersed in sort of how that's the developed to see how it is done. Yeah, you know, that was one of the recommendations I saw in Learning ASL is like look at deaf creators, like look at what they're doing, watch their stuff, and use that to help like learn more about the culture and the various dialects and like all of that sort of thing is like. And then obviously if you if you have people in your life, like you know, go spend time hanging out with them, like practice practice, practice practice, use it, use it exactly, exactly awesome. Well, we do have some fun things. We end with some recommendations, and we actually have a sort of listener mail a couple of them, and so we'll get to some of those things. If you're joining us for the first time, you may not know all of those things, but we'll get to those as just in just a minute. But first I have to get through the credits. But first I have to get through some ads. Ah, Okay, we're back. As I said, we have a piece of listener mail and we have some recommendations to do. But first I'll say thank you to everyone for listening, thank you for joining us. If you're a returning person or coming back or whatever. If you did enjoy this discussion. We'd like to support us. There are multiple ways that you can do this. Just go leave us a nice rating and a review wherever you are listening to your podcasts. That really helps us out. It helps the algorithm push us into more feeds as a recommended thing, which finds more listeners. And that's what we're trying to do is just reach a lot of people if we can. Otherwise, you can subscribe so you don't us any episodes. Share this with a friend, tell them to subscribe, or just make them subscribe nicely. You can also join us on Patreon. If you do that, you'll get some bonus content at free episodes, early episodes, and I'll read your name in the list of people who support us financially over there. So thank you so much to the people who have been helping us be a podcast for so many years. Mike m Megan, Mike T, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian, Ashley, Kiara and Charlie. You are all just the best and we really really appreciate everything you've.
Speaker 3: Done for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're beautiful and lovely.
Speaker 1: Also, thank you to my team of people without whom I could not make this podcast writing and fact checking from Shane and myself. Thanks for your great notes.
Speaker 2: Shane, Hey, thanks for letting me do this one. This was fun.
Speaker 1: Our social media coordinator is Emma Wilson, and our audio technician God Emperor producer extraordinaire is Justin. Who is Thank you Justin.
Speaker 2: He's the best. He is the best. Well.
Speaker 1: We had a couple of comments. Actually these weren't directly emails, but a couple of comments on some episodes on Spot and they're fairly short, so I'm just going to do them both. These both come from a listener, Natalie Neil. I think I'm reading that right. And in response to our mini on designer Genes g E. N Ees, they write, diversity is what has driven our success since the beginning. We need all kinds of humans with every kind of different mind, knowledge, outlooks, and functioning brains with three acclamation points. Totally agree. Yeah that sentiment, love it. Thank you for sharing that as well. It's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They also commented on our mini that is about being carsick. They said a huge cause of motion sickness that you missed is because of the crystals in our inner ear or inner ear is what controls our equilibrium, which controls our balance and spatial awareness to our bodies are in relation to other people, places and things. And yeah, I actually didn't. I didn't see that when I was doing when I was looking at the episode or the research.
Speaker 2: For that episode.
Speaker 1: I'm curious now to look into it more and learn more about that. But I appreciate you sharing your insights from that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's really fun. So my dad has vertigo, and that's always something comes up with vertigo is the crystals in your ears, and so like it's funny to think that, Like, it's interesting to think that you have this thing that is like, you know, crystals, it's biological, it's in your ear. It's something that like can if it's just off a little bit, it throws everything off, you know. So it's worth it's worth diving into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I think that's it. So transitioning to recommendations.
Speaker 2: Let's do it recommendations.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm recommending a thing that might have me lose my card carrying status as a vegan, but I'm recommending a a thing called zvo. These are electrical little bug traps that you can plug into your house and will attract insects to them and they get stuck there and then they die. Oh, we've had a huge issue with fruit flies in my house and there's nothing that seems to make them go away or stop what they're doing, and they're destroying our food. So we've gotten some zvos and they are pretty effective. Now, the commercials say they're like, and I forget what percentage they give. I'm just gonna say eighty percent, even though there might be something else. But they say they're like eighty percent better at catching bugs. I'm like, better than what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, better than nothing? Like? Right?
Speaker 1: But they're actually really they're super easy to use. You it's a little just like a sticky mess you put behind a screen. It has a nice little purple light. Plug it into an outlet and it just kind of does this thing from there. They're pretty effective. I gotta say, like, we haven't completely solved the issue, but it definitely significantly reduced how much how much of a problem it was. So if you're struggling with things like fruit flies, ZVO will pretty effective at helping with that situation.
Speaker 2: All right, Interesting, we have these little sticky things that go in the plants and they're like these okay, yeah, they look like little like flowers and those have been pretty harpy too, so okay, good to know. Yeah, pretty interesting. All right. I am going to recommend a comic book series. This is a new comic book series. It is called Absolute Batman, and it is so rad. So I think here's the thing. When it comes to comic books and you have like long histories with like particular characters, it's very difficult to do something new with them. Sure, and so you know, Batman has said I think it's like seventy five years maybe longer, maybe close to one hundred years now, same thing with Superman, like just just this like lengthy time in comics, and so you can't you kind of go like, well, what else can you do with these? So Scott Snyder decided to tell a new story. This is a retelling of his origin story and kind of an all new world. And Batman is a civil engineer, blue collar civil engineer. He is not wealthy, and he has taught himself all of the things that go along with being Batman and being really resourceful. So like he's got the same kind of like resourcefulness, except what makes him different is that he's not rich, so he's like kind of having to figure out how to engineer all of his stuff. He's incredibly intelligent, but he's also like six foot nine and four hundred something pounds. He's a monster in this and just brutal, just brutal. One of my favorite panels is he just beats up a group of white supremacists. There's a dude that tries to do the you know, the salute, and the first thing he does is just snap this guy's arm in half, and he's like, that's it. That's that's what happens. That's what that's what happens when you do this. It's cool because like he kind of like his villains, like the Riddler, Killer Croc Penguin, they all are as friends rather than being like villains in Arkham or in Gotham. And it's just done really well. Nick Drigoda does the art as well, and his art is really cool for if you've ever read East of West, so it's really cool. My favorite thing is that he carries around like a like a pole or like a pipe, and he could take the emblem off of his batsuit and just now it's a battle axe. He like attaches it to the pipe and now he's got a battle axe if you will, and it's just awesome. Yeah, it's you will. Yeah, it's just it's just really really cool. So super dark, super gruesome, but like a really cool take on the character. Wow.
Speaker 1: Fun, Okay, very cool. All right. So that's Zo insects catcher thing and then absolute Batman comic sounds really fun. Those are the recommendations. If you'd like to tell us your thoughts on those things, or on anything we said about aave, you can reach us directly by emailing us at info at wwdwwdpodcast dot com, or reach us on the social media platforms, and we do look forward to hearing from you. Yeah, I think that is all you have to say about this topic. Those are anything that I missed or you'd like to add before we say our goodbyes.
Speaker 2: Nope, not the moment.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for listening.
Speaker 2: This is Abraham and this is Shane.
Speaker 1: We are out.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to Why we Do what We do. You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to wwd wwdpodcast dot com. Thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day.
Speaker 1: The next one is called a copula deletion. Is it copula deletion?
Speaker 2: I think it's copula deletion, but we can go with Francis Ford Copila deletion.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it does like just curcula. It looks like copyla. I don't think I'm now ever gonna be able to hear his name without hearing copyla. Oh my god. Okay