Speaker 1: Now for our weekly doctor's appointment. Let's knock on his library door and see if.
Speaker 2: There's no point in doing that, Missus Cectra, I'm right behind you.
Speaker 1: Hello, doctor Watson. They'll tell me you've been stalking me.
Speaker 3: Oh my boy.
Speaker 2: I was on the patio and I heard your footsteps, so I thought that i'd i'd come in and fetch you. Let's go back and sit out there, shall way. It's it's a beautiful evening.
Speaker 3: That's fine with me. Doctor. Ah, here we are.
Speaker 2: I'll settle yourself down in a chair and light a cigarette if you have one. I'll get on with my story.
Speaker 1: Well, last week you told us a concern and adventure that you and Sherlock Holmes had in Flanders during the First World War.
Speaker 2: That's right, Missus Cetry did.
Speaker 1: I thought that you and the great man had retired at that period we had my.
Speaker 2: Boy, but it was only that show. As soon as the war broke out, we both offered our services in any capacity that might help our country.
Speaker 3: Of course, and hot it tonight's story began.
Speaker 4: Doctor.
Speaker 2: It was in the winter of that first year. Things weren't going very well for the Allies. The Germans were advancing on Paris, and the picture was looking very black. It was just twenty four hours before the famous Battle of the Man began, the battle that changed the early course of the war. When Holmes told me that we had to go up to the front lines on a secret mission, we'd been in Paris for several weeks. The Homes just solved the case of the missing a deacon. I was anxious to get back to England and my work in the war hospitals. But of course this new summons was in the nature of a command, and so late on a rainy September afternoon, Holmes and I, with the boom of gunfire and ar ears, found ourselves in the front seat of a staff car, flushing and jolting its way towards the battle field.
Speaker 3: I drive in too fast to you yetmen, as I do not at all.
Speaker 2: I know you're doing a splendid job. My man look out considering the state of the road. Like you said, er, hello, the gunfire is getting nearer.
Speaker 3: Homes, Yes, o'thor I imagine we haven't much further to go, have his sergeant, No, sou We're nearly there.
Speaker 2: Did you notice that two civilians and the back seat Homes yes, answer woman.
Speaker 3: And a distinguished looking man several years a senior. Who they are, I'll tell you he's a Shakespearean actor of some note, and we never achieved the fame to which he thinks he's entitled. I shouldn't get all surprised if he feels that he's been slighted in not receiving a knighthood, Well.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. How can you possibly reduce all that from just looking at the man as.
Speaker 3: We got into the car Elementary, My dear fellow, I didn't deduce it. We saw him twice last year in the London theater. If you wrote, then his name is Mitchell Morris asked for his biography. He's a friend of my brother Mycroft's. He told me about him.
Speaker 2: What do you suppose he is doing up here near the front line?
Speaker 3: His brother is General Sirs Stanley Morris, who was in command of this particular front, and it would seem reasonable to presume that it is brother has come up here to give a performance for the front line troops. I suppose this hut is as far as we can drive. Sergeant on fright, So, sir, we're four miles from the front line. Now you have to clear your papers.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: See that ruin arm house there.
Speaker 2: Sir, you sergeant, is that the general's headquarter? Yes, sir, Come on Watson, old lord, it's pelting with rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's pike a dash for it.
Speaker 5: Who goes there?
Speaker 3: Friend, give the passwords? Send Crispin past friends and show your papers?
Speaker 2: How did you know the past word? At Holmes?
Speaker 3: I was given a per popular penisal. Check surelock Holmes and doctor Watson, isn't it? Here's Captain and Captain Maxwell for General Morris's age. Can't he asked? People's caught you up to his headquarters? And by the way, when Nason Morris and his wife in the car with you? Yes, there just behind us, well splendid. I'm afraid I'll have to ask to see your papers.
Speaker 2: Yes, here's here's my permit.
Speaker 3: Captain Maxwell, thanel. I know you're both, of course, but if we can't afford to take any chances when this close to the enemy lines, let's see. Oh yeah, that's fine, doctor, everything's in order, all yours please, mister Hermes, here you are, thanks? Who goes there? There's the rescue paw? Oh good, this is quite an order, mister Hermes. Oh there you are Captain Maxwell. Hello, Missus Murritt.
Speaker 5: How are you getting next?
Speaker 3: Well, well, you've both met mister Shellock Holmes and doctor Watson. I suppose her No, we haven't, even though we drove up in the same car Natural Reserve of us British as I suppose. How are you, miss Hermes? How do you do some o?
Speaker 2: Your brother Micraft? Very well? How are you doctor? I'm there to Meetchell to Morris. I saw you a couple of times the third last year Georgio performances.
Speaker 3: Thank you sir, But then you must know my wife, my leading lady.
Speaker 2: How do you do? Gentlemen?
Speaker 3: Can I see your papers? Mister Morris? Just a matter of reform?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, of course, Missus Morris, I presume you and your husband are going to give a performance tonight for the men going up the front line.
Speaker 5: Yes, doctor, we're very flattered. They've asked us to do some Shakespearean things, although I should have thought something a little lighter would have been more appropriate.
Speaker 3: The General his maintenance brother know anything differency.
Speaker 2: Where my dear show Captain Maxwell your papers.
Speaker 3: Then we can all go along and see my brother Stanley very well, Maitland. Mister Morris Eyes will look forward to hearing your reading of shakespeare sink crispian speech from Henry the Fifth tonight Press my soul Holmes, how did you know I was planning to do it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: The setting is so perfect, in the time, so appropriate. I can't conceive an English actor who could resist the temptation. I noticed that your brother appreciated the fact in naming today's password. Yes, it's amazingly appropriate. You know it's almost five hundred years ago to the day that the Battle of Agencourt took place.
Speaker 2: Well, let's hope that the result of the forthcoming battle will be equally successful.
Speaker 3: For yes, indeed, Oh, by the way, Homes. This will probably seem rather silly to you, but I'm an invetered autograph collector and I have my book Shore with me. I wonder if you'd minds sign us ply get to mister Morrows coime in pin Willy Watson. You'll find yourself among quite distinguished company in that book, sir, so I see Andelina, Patty Brown, Princip Norwick, no Hil Marshall van Toknitz. Oh, yes, he was one of my I admired is when I played in Munich before the war. I suppose now that our countries are fighting, I should tear that page out. You know, I cannot help but feel that art and the appreciation of art are independent of national hatred. Crito, sir, I myself still have a medal presented to me by the University of Leipzig for some trifling services. Nay one, mister Morris. Oh, thank you very much for the homes, a notable addition to my collection.
Speaker 2: I should be reglad to sign your book poem tomorrows if you'd like mature. That's very kind of a doctor. Captain Maxwell.
Speaker 3: If our permits not all in order, don't you think we should be moving along? It's just what I was going to suggest myself. I'll take you all straight to General Morris's headquarters. General Morris, Sir, may, I introduced mister Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. How do you do so wrong? How do you do know a lot about?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 3: Were long way from Baker Street, isn't it Yesizza? Where is that brother of mine?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: There you are, Maitland, Cynthia. How nice to see your boat. So it's good to see you against Hello less Stanley. The men will be glad you arrived. They're looking forward to your show tonight. We're very flattered that they want to hear us do some Shakespeare or rubbish. Old boy with you and Cynthia up there on the platform, you could read the telephone book and they'd love your father. By the way, you will find the stage very primitive, just a few trestles in a large tent and a curtain made of army blankets, and your dressing rooms will be eaten worse.
Speaker 5: Oh, don't worry about our comfort, Stanley. As long as we cheer the boys up, that's the important thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course. The way, what program do you have mapped out for us? Well, I thought we'd have two shows. The tent's not large enough to hold everybody at once, anybody anyway, we have to keep up with alert all the time. I think you can manage two separate shows.
Speaker 2: Of course I can stand it. I may look over and I.
Speaker 4: Don't feel it.
Speaker 3: You don't even look at your scoundrels and thank you.
Speaker 2: So you can take a look at the stage and equipment.
Speaker 3: Now, certainly, Captain Maxwell, take them over to the tent and show them what the facilities are. Will you right down? Will you follow me a yes, of course, see you later. All right, I'm glad you're here, homes. I'm so I can speak quite freely in front of doctor Watson. Oh, yes, with perfect freedom, sir. He's my colleague. And there's no darning men himself. Really?
Speaker 2: What Regiment fifth Northomland, whose sir later touched the boxers in Afghanistan and wounded in the Battle of Main One?
Speaker 3: Really? And then I'm sure I can speak freely and from homes. You know why you're up here so near the front line, don't you. I have a very shrewd suspicion, Sir. I thought you had. That's why I asked for you to be sent here. You asked for me to be cent here. General, Yes, I think I understand.
Speaker 2: Oh I did?
Speaker 3: You will doctor in due time. In the meanwhile, gentlemen, I'll have an orderly show you to your quarter. Thank you, sir and Holmes. Take a look around, will you, and keep your ears where comparatively a little distance from the German front lines. And yet there's a very puzzling silence just now.
Speaker 2: I noticed that half an hour ago, on our way up there was there's quite a lot.
Speaker 3: Of shilling exactly. It's unnatural and rather frightening at a time like this. You see, we're attacking at dawn. The enemy might be trying to infiltrate spies, and the whole success of this battle depends on a surprise attack. I quite understand, Sir Colin Watson.
Speaker 2: Home the first performance starts in a few minutes. You know they're all there waiting. Why are we trappling about up and here in the mud in the rain?
Speaker 3: I thought a pipe or two in the open air, But clear our brains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pipe in the open air is one thing, But a pipe in the downfall.
Speaker 3: Of rains and another is it raining? Didn't even notice it. I was listening to the silence.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Thousands upon thousands of Germans, armed, Germans full of a blind, fanatical hatred and desire to kill, are crouched in trenches only a mile or two from here. Surrounding us are an equal number of English boys, also armed, and for the will is not the desire to fight, because they know their cause is the cause of freedom and justice. All these thousands poised, ready to pounce on each other and fight to the death.
Speaker 4: And yet.
Speaker 3: Beyond that patter of rain. There isn't a been a sound to break the stillness of a September evening. Strange world we live in, old chapter.
Speaker 2: You will be unusual tollical home, Yes, I am on that.
Speaker 3: Let's be a little more practical, charwit. I wonder what is wrong with the actors tonight?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Why do you ask? Well?
Speaker 3: A little while ago I noticed missus Morris in a great state of excitement, turning towards the farmhouse where the General is, and she went back to her own quarters. And now she seems to be headed in our direction, being wrong, Missus Morris, it's Maitland.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with the madam?
Speaker 3: He disappears appeared? What's happened? We were in the tint.
Speaker 5: Together making up for rapperforms when an orderly came into the message. Maitland said it was from his brother, slipped on a raincoat and went out, seeing me back in a few moments. I waited and waited, and after a while I got worried, and I wouldn't to see the General myself. He said that he'd said no message, and that he hadn't seen any sign of Maitland.
Speaker 2: Good Lord, what can have happened to him?
Speaker 5: I don't know, doctor, but I'm frightened. What shall I do?
Speaker 3: Mister Holmes, You're a brave woman, Missus Morris, brave.
Speaker 5: I don't know, mister Holmes.
Speaker 3: Why Gus, the show must go on. I shall take your husband's place at home.
Speaker 2: Something's happened to Mathil Morris. He's in danger.
Speaker 3: I'm not too what's in't true. But a thousand men inside that tenter in mortal danger too. Tomorrow morning, many of them maybe copses on the fields of Flanders, but tonight they've been promised to show you. Think that you can do it? Home, Oh I think I can with the help of Missus Morris.
Speaker 5: I can't do it, mister.
Speaker 3: Home and Missus Molls, and you will if only to uphold that great tradition of the pitter. But the show must go on.
Speaker 1: Where the rest of Dr Watson's story in just a few seconds time. I'd like to take to tell you that if you've got a butcher who has meat, and you've got the points to get that meat, don't forget to bring home a bottle of Petree California burgundy. Tell you why that Petro Burgundy is a rich, red meal time wine that's wonderful with any meat or meat dish.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 1: Petro Burgundy can make a banquet out of a hamburger, and boy, petfree Burgundy and old fashioned iris stew are bosom companions. Just get yourself some petfree Burgundy and share it with your family. Petre Burgundy is the best friend a good meal ever had. And now back to tonight's new Sherlock Holmes adventure. It is just before the Battle of the Marne and the First World War, and Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson are at headquarters a few miles behind the front line.
Speaker 3: Tranches.
Speaker 1: I am a Shakespearean actor who was to give a performance for the troops, has mysteriously disappeared, and the great Detective has taken his place at the last minute. As we rejoin our story, Sherlock Holmes, alone on the improvised stage, is delivering a Shakespearean speech before a spell bound body.
Speaker 3: Happy. This little world, this precious stone, set in a silver sea, which serves it in the office of a wall, orders a most defensive to a house against the envy of less happier lambs, This blessest loot, this earth, this rome, this England.
Speaker 2: Holmes that shot.
Speaker 1: Are you all right?
Speaker 3: Yes, o Chap. Fortunately I started to leave the stage as the shot was fired. The bullet just missed me. I heard its sprinters and wood nearby.
Speaker 2: But who on earth would want to shoot you?
Speaker 3: That's what we've got to find out, And I think it more likely that the shot was intended for me. He was not intended for me, but for Mickland Morris, the man for whom I'm substituto, even sir, who'd want to shoot him? Don't ask me so many questions, author, Let's see what clues we can find now. The shot was fined from outside the tent, from behind me. Yes, we're there. Give a hole in the tent.
Speaker 2: There by show vis the footlights without climbing your shadow on the back of the tent. Whoever it must have a fire at your silhouette.
Speaker 3: The question is where did the bullet embed itself? Look here, Watson, We've got a pen knife here. They shouldn't be hard to extract this splintered tent pole. A minute. Yeah, here we are excellent. H very interesting.
Speaker 2: What's so interesting about him?
Speaker 3: Just a revolver bullet, isn't Watson? It's far from just a revolver bullet. This bullet was fired from a German Luca pistol, the German pistol.
Speaker 2: There must have been a spy here behind our lines.
Speaker 3: That's a reasonable enough his assumption. Yes, we may be sure that no English soldier would carry such a from a face inspection. Come on, I once talked to missus Morris, Missus Morris, I want you to be very frank with me.
Speaker 2: What a cause?
Speaker 3: Mister Holmes, you know why your husband's missing, don't you?
Speaker 5: No, No, I don't have you found out about my madam?
Speaker 3: Why I keep up this pretense any longer? I know that your husband is a spy, or at least a great sympathizer with the German cause, the General's brother spy.
Speaker 2: Good luck?
Speaker 5: How dare you say that?
Speaker 3: Because it's true? While an office has been suspicious of his sympathies for some time, his own brother knew it. That's why I asked to have me sent up here to keep an eye on him during his visit.
Speaker 5: It is true. Why should I keep up the pretense any longer? You see? Maitland was a disciple of Stuart Houston, Chamberlain, who was his stuard.
Speaker 3: Houston Chamberlain, an Englishman who married one of Richard Wagner's daughters and became a German citizen and an arch enemy of England.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to dissuade Maitland. I implored him to consider his British heritage, his brother's name and mind. But Mathon was a strange man. His life was one of frustration and envy, envy of his babadized bose Yes. When Stanley was knighted, it hurt Maitland terribly. He said, it was typical if the English would knight a soldier and yet leave a great artist like himself unrecognized that in Berlin they really understood and rewarded the artist.
Speaker 2: Well, if the thoughts knew that. It's amazingly allowed him to come so close to the front lines at a time.
Speaker 5: Like this, which was at the general's request. He wanted to plead with my husband to warn him that his secret was known. And now Maitland gone over to the German line.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Worse than that, it's disastrous. He can give them information. This is strength of our troops here. He knows the password. He might even know. The army attacked his time to.
Speaker 3: Start, How did your husband expect to went of the German lines in safety, missus, Mrris, he.
Speaker 5: Speaks fluent German, Mister Holmes, I fancy the autographs will keeps carrying containing his signature a field Marshal von Totnitz with In reality he's passed through the German.
Speaker 3: Line all the general that his brother was gone.
Speaker 5: Of course I haven't been able to He moved up to the front line position immediately after the first performance, though I had warned him what I thought Matan was planning to do. I think he intended to give his performance first, then cross the lines immediately afterwards. But something must have made him change his mind. Perhaps he suspected I'd warned the general. Anyhow, as you know, when I got back to our quarters he'd gone.
Speaker 2: Did he leave any note, Madam? Yes he did.
Speaker 3: Here it is thank you all I have done. My dear, I understand and forgive if you can. It wouldn't come with me, and so I am taking what is left of my heart and my hopes where they belong among the friends that understand and appreciate me. It is something stronger than love and blood and country that makes me do this. It is something dearer to me than life itself. Here it's mean than life itself.
Speaker 5: Oh, how cold, how goodly it's the shame of this will kill for Stanley Litter. Come will you break the news to him? I know it's cowardly of me, but I just can't tell him myself.
Speaker 3: Missus Morris, I'll tell him, Dr Watson, I will ask Captain Maxwell to a scott as to the General's front line headquarters. In the meantime, try and keep calm.
Speaker 4: We'll tell him.
Speaker 3: If you were waiting in the dug art, Mister Holmes, I'll tell the General that you're here, thank you, and be sure to let him know the urgency of the matter. Homes. This is a dreadful business, Yes it is, Watson. If my plans work out correctly, I think the success of tomorrow's battle may not be impeddled. Listen, no, Holmes.
Speaker 2: A strange silence from the German line since we came here might be a count for by the fact that they knew Maitland was making his getaway, they wouldn't want to risk wounding such a valuables far Possibly, what I still don't understand is who shot at you with a German pistol, and why having.
Speaker 3: Very done so? Fellow, surey, it's oddvious they've come General Morris.
Speaker 2: Now, good devil, this is going to be a dreadful shot to him.
Speaker 3: Hello Holmes, Doctor Watson, Deeryl Morris, I'm afraid that I bad news for you. Our brother has gone over to the German lines. Maitland did go there. I should have put him under an armed god as soon as he came here, but I thought I could reason with him, appeal to his sense of honor, instead of which you tried to shoot him there. But fortunately for me you missed. You see, I took his place at the first performance, but.
Speaker 2: That shot was fired from a German pistol.
Speaker 3: That was when I first knew the General had fired the shot. But I still don't see how you could. Now, only a high ranking officer not subject to inspection could carry a non regulation firearm. No, no, darmy man, you should know that in any case, you observe that the General carries a lugerd. It is way straight Heaven's homes are. I thought I was firing it make I had no idea that that it was you.
Speaker 2: You intended to kill your own brother.
Speaker 3: Sir, Yes, and I'm sorry I failed her. I'd rather see my brother dead than alive on a traitor to his country. But now he's said me in the German lines. Heaven knows what secrets he may be imparting. One thing we can beset. A chance of a surprise attack in the morning has gone Passabinazer, What do you mean, Douse? He took the liberty of altering your brother's credentials quite extensively. How I knew of his German sympathe is my craft that give me a great deal of information about him, And so I took it on myself to decide that it was unsafe to allow him so near the enemy lines with his own identification on him. Well, what did you do? I took the liberty serves chealing his autocrat book, the one containing the magical signature of Field Marshal and Toknitz. I have it in my pocket now I think we shall find within its pages a code concealed in the various outographs, giving valuable information to the enemy. Good Lord, I also switched to military permits on him. I felt that in the event that he did go over to the German lines, his work might be less cordial if they were under the impression that they'd captured Sherlock Holmes. To make that identification doubly sure, I also slipped in his pocket a slight souvenir of my own word your homes.
Speaker 2: You mean that medal was presented to you by the University of Life.
Speaker 3: Shack, Thank your fellow. I no longer wish to have owned a decoration given me by a country of barbarians, and it seems a rather neat and effective way of returning it to them. So the Germans will think they've captured Sharlock Home, yes, sir, and unless I'm much mistaken, he'll receive very short stripped of their hand. Yes, I hate you. As your answer, sir, I'm sorry. Don't be sorry, Holmes. It's better that way now his secret can die with him. Excuse me, sir, Yes Maxwell, What is it would it be in order for me to return to headquarters? Stauser? It's very nearly time for the second performance, and I've still been I'm able to trace the word abouts of your brother. Well, my brother will not be acting the nighttime, afraid, Holmes. I wonder if I might ask you to take his place once again, if you want me to General, I do Nitland had planned to do the Crispin speech from Henry Fifth. He knew how much I loved I realized that, Sir when I was told the password up here?
Speaker 2: Can you remember this speech?
Speaker 3: Herme? Oh, I think so. At any rate I can try, then do it for me, My dear fellow will live on me. I'll be very proud to do it. General, goodbye and good luck, Thank you, Holmes, Captain Matchell, take them back to headquarters. We'll live. The men will be waiting for the performance. And Christian shall now go by from this day to the ending of the world. But we in it shall be remembered.
Speaker 4: We few, we happy few, we.
Speaker 3: Band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me, he shall be my brother, be in airs or file this day, so gentle his condition, and gentlemen in England now a bed shall think themselves are curse, they were not here, and all their manhood's cheap. While then he speaks fuck with us. Upon Saint Christian's Day,