Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: This is Matt and Emily from Scarecrow Video in Seattle, Washington. Did you know that we have the largest video collection in the world. We have over one hundred and forty six thousand titles and growing. That's our three times more than Netflix, Amazon Max, and Hulu combined.
Speaker 2: Plus a.
Speaker 4: Scarecrow now offers rent by mail service throughout the US, so check out Scarecrow Video dot org for details. You can catch Emily and I or Matt and I if that was going to be you saying that on our biweekly YouTube show, Viva Physical Media for video recommendations and.
Speaker 2: So much more. Ceya, bye e, Hello there, and welcome back. What is this place?
Speaker 5: Is connected? Disconnected?
Speaker 2: Its connected, disconnected.
Speaker 5: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnecting, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 2: I'm sorrying to feel disconnected.
Speaker 5: Break the number that has been connected.
Speaker 2: Hey, and Happy Thursday Live with Brian Dembinski, a name you might recognize better as we can. Can you hear me Brian?
Speaker 5: Anything from you?
Speaker 2: You might recognize Brian as the Wonderment project in the chat Glad everybody is here. This is extra funny because Brian is a sound professional.
Speaker 5: I don't hear you, but I can fix that in the second.
Speaker 2: And your sound is very different than earlier when we tested this. Hello, we'll get this fixed sooner. I'm sure ethnical difficulties and your audio is very awkward. Yeah, we'll get this figured out. I am glad everybody's here. It's been a heck of a week. It is really really nice to see everybody. It's been a very busy week, so great to spend some time with everybody.
Speaker 5: Give me a second. I'm gonna just things so I can hear you real quick.
Speaker 2: We go okay, okay, I'll bring Brian back in in just a minute and we'll see what's going on. Brian, for everybody that does not know, is a as you'll see in the thumbnail, a laser disc enthusiast, and that is underselling it. We're going to find out why that is underselling it because he is one of the foremost collectors of laser disc in the entire us. On that note, if you want to know more about laser disc, think of your questions. He can answer pretty much everything. He is a master at valuing items, he is a master at tracking things down around the world and getting them for his collection. He's going after a couple of complete collections that we will talk about in a little bit as far as okay, Brian says, he can hear me, but he's also going to hear himself. All right, I'll bring him back in what happened Brian? We tested this, Yeah, and now your sound is very different than earlier too.
Speaker 6: I know I don't hear anything from you again, so I can I can. Yeah, it's very strange, very strange. Hopefully we can figure it out.
Speaker 5: If not, I mean, I'm doing it based on the stream, but I don't hear anything directly from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that is quite awkward. We'll figure that out. Yeah, we're gonna get into all of our regular stuff. And also Brian is going to cover his normal pickups, talk about the stuff that he collects, tell us about some laser discs and all of that. Uh, this is a funny, freaking question, Sibner. Simner says, foremost or as in one of the only four now they we're gonna talk about because he he buys and sells a lot of laser discs. Are we good now no, okay, these silences, Okay.
Speaker 5: Well I don't hear you. So I'm gonna be right.
Speaker 2: I'll be right back, all right, So I'll carry on for just a moment, just so it's not super awkward for Brian for for me to talk about it for a minute. I'm gonna show a couple of pickups and the best one. Normally I don't make a big deal out of this, but I just got in the brand new Physical Media Advocate for this month, and I don't know why. Something about it is like extra handsome this month. It came together really freaking great. Everything is really incredible in the hand some of our favorite articles that we've done yet until the next couple months, because man, we've got some big stuff on the way for everybody. Check this out if you are not up to date on the Physical Media Advocate or checking this out every once in a while. I know it's a weird thing to hawk for myself because I normally don't do it, but this thing has grown leafs and bounds. What started out as a six page pdf is now a monthly fifty plus page publication that is going worldwide, available in four countries and getting people from all over the world, right every single month, and it is turning out to be something incredible. We are doing two really special things here soon that I can't wait to tell everybody about. Robert is asking any glitches on our end. Storm just passed overs in the last half hour, maybe in your area an hour or so. I just got a notification that it's about to hit Johnson County, so I probably got yeah, somewhere around an hour. We'll see you something like that, Brian, Are we better?
Speaker 5: There we go? Yeah, I see you, I hear you.
Speaker 2: Yay, And everything's yeah, all right?
Speaker 5: He perfect? Now, Yes that was strange. I yeah, everything's perfect.
Speaker 2: All right. We'll get to you just a second. Rafa wants to know you're holding physical media magazine or a graphic novel. Rafa, this is a full physical media magazine. You can pick this up every single month, Amazon worldwide, four countries and a bunch of handfuls of stores. We'll talk more about that at some point, but yeah, if you got Amazon where you are, you can get it on Amazon. Check out the Physical Media Advocate. Brian, you wrote a shit ton for the Physical Media Advocates. Thanks for doing that.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I'm pretty no problem. I just wrote one series of articles so far and hopefully I can continue. But yeah, it was all about Hong Kong cinema, really like a bit of the birth of it, but really like how it's second Golden Age Soka, like eighty six, the handover in ninety seven, and I sort of tried to take an economic perspective and work my way back and like how do they get the money to make these movies? How do they do it? And what came out of it? And then how did it die? But it was really long. It took me. I read a stupid amount of things, Like I was reading like vintage Hong Kong economic reports from the seventies all the way through like the nineties to try to figure out like where it all came from. It was fun, It was really good.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about laser dis tonight. Before we get into the heart of everything, why don't you share just the obvious questions here? How many do you have and what are you trying to collect with laser discs?
Speaker 5: How many do I have? I have just under seventeen thousand of them. What am I trying to collect with them? You know? In like the Grand scheme of things. I would love to get any movie released on laser disc across all continents. I don't quite have the bandwidth to do that. So, like my real thing is I'm trying to get a complete set of wide screen US laser discs, which you know, it's a little hard to put a finger on it because they released like like two thousand and one that got released like two or three times widescreen, actually four times, I think. So if you break it down out of that, like how many movies is that, you know, it's like it's in the eight or nine thousand range, and right now I'm missing just under two hundred.
Speaker 2: So I got to ask, because I know you tracked this, is there confirmed copy still in decent condition of all two hundred of those in the world, you know.
Speaker 5: Nottually you know, to be so honest, some of this stuff is I would say mostly yes, with a few caveats. So Thai Sang released a lot of laser discs in Hong Kong and in the United States, and in the United States here I didn't bring it. I don't think I have any with me right here. But in the United States. The main difference between a Thai Sang release of a laser disc and for the US and what they release in Hong Kong is basically just a white strip of paper, and so if I can't find it with the white strip of paper, I don't count it as the US release. And like that's a little bit of like a nebulous like do I really care deeply about a white strip of paper or not? But as many of that can find with the white strip of paper I have, and I have a lot of them, but they are like, of the two hundred I'm missing, probably sixty of them are these Tai Sang ones. And you know, they don't pop up that often because you would have had to, like you know, keep it in a sleeve more or less, because the white piece of paper is literally just a piece of folding paper that they cut and printed. It's nothing fancy. So like those ones, maybe maybe not. Everything else is like, yeah, there are a lot more laser disc fans than you would think. I think the main Facebook forum has like eleven thousand members. I think if you look in general, you know, there's probably a solid five six thousand people that spend laser disc often. Probably three thousand of those in the States they were incredibly popular in Japan and in East Asia in general, so there's a lot more than you would think. And it went on for a lot longer. I mean, laser disc basically lasted as long as DVD lasted, right, So it's not like it was a flash in the pan. It's just expensive and it was niche. So while DVD was cheap and broad, laser disc was like, laser disc was a thing that those who loved cinema, especially at the time got.
Speaker 2: There is a lot to go over on laser disc. I mean, I just had like fourteen questions pop up doesn't ask. But before we get into all that, I want everybody to have a chance just to think about it. So we're gonna get deep into laser discs after the announcements tonight. We're gonna go into like full blown nerdy side of things. So first let's get into some of our regular topics. What do you what are you collecting on on we'll say contemporary physical media.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I I'm like I'm slowing down a little bit just because of like sort of changing like my shelf space, my workspace, my everything space. But like I have a bunch of labels and types of movies that I really like, and so I try to stay mostly complete. So like just in the mail today watching I don't get my mail here. I have to get my mail somewhere else. But just recently I picked up from the mail the New Deaf Crocodile. I have all their releases. I love their stuff. This is gonna be cool. And then I recently went on a trip to Montreal with my family and I found a VHS so this erotic thriller dubbed in French. This is a movie called Matter of Trusts but dubbed in French. So that's kind of cool. And then when I'm out there, I always look for like weird DVDs, so this is like movie running out of time, early Harvey ar Bardem. And then quebec Qua has their own cinema that existed for a really long time. And in Montreal you can find a bunch of dirt cheap, so I bought some of that, like dollars a pop. And then I really like Arrow, and of course we don't talk about Hong Kong, so I got the New Arrow, Hard Boiled and Killers, and I really like Radiance, so I ended up getting This is Johnny Toe movie, another Hong Kong movie, Romances in the Air. That one me too. I love Johnny Toe. You know, he's another funny guy like you Can Talk. I'm not going to go into it now, but he like spans from the beginning of the second Golden Age of Cung cinema, and he's like one of the three or four that kept golling. So he really still has a presence and kind of cool. And I picked up The Matador very nice.
Speaker 2: We'll be talking about that one a little more and a little bit. I'm sure some exciting stuff from Radiance. They've had a few great months, for sure. A couple of things I wanted to show one. I know you big into eighty eight films. This is their newest one. This is the Angry River. Will note that they like change the quality the slipcover on this one. I know people are super into slipcovers. This one feels interesting. It's like a different material altogether, a little little more high quality. Possibly nice release. Well go USA. I've been wanting to check this one out. Beast of War. When they put out press discs, I'm much more likely to purchase these. They do a lot of b DRS. But Beast of War is supposedly pretty good, so I wanted to check that one out. You just brought up Arrow and some of their newest ones. We've got the Eye, This is a brain four K from them, which is supposed to be great. And then one that I've been wanting to see for a long time, wandering Ginza Butterfly. This is very nice looking release. Glad you got this one too. This is Miko Kagi stuff that people have been wanting to see in good, high quality for a long time, just like the last one I want to talking about, which is Full Moon's released of last Foxtrott and Burbank, written by partially John Carpenter. Very eager to see this one because I love John Carpenter. Although it's supposed to be pretty terrible.
Speaker 5: I've never I've never seen it. I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what about what you've been watching? Because you are kind of all over the place. Although we're definitely gonna get into erotic thrillers tonight, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah that I'll break that down a lot more a lot later. But yeah, so, I mean I do kind of watch a little all over the place. I really I really like this Buster Keaton set they got released a while ago, of all his short films. I get my chill, learn to watch Buster Keaton. And in fact, my littlest one who's four, will say that she only likes four movies and it goes like Zoolander, not Zoolander, Zootopia, Wicked, I can't remember when when I went. And then she'll say in Buster Keaton. So she and I watched a lot of Buster Keaton, but I will.
Speaker 2: Know who the younger kids are. I really wish she was saying zoo Lander.
Speaker 5: No, no, that's mistake. But I watched a whole bunch of these this week. Those are all really good. What if you never you can see one Week as a short. It's his first director short. It's great to really watched that. And then I watched work my way through this entire set. Uh this Jade said this, I don't like this movie at all, but this set is actually incredible. Like there's like if you want to work yourself through a movie and think completely about it, independent on whether or not, it's like a movie that you like. And one of the best sets I think in a long time they like works its way through a movie, Like you got to think about it from a production standpoint, from a cultural standpoint, it's really all there and it's really well done. So good job to you on that one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wasn't going to call attention to it, but that doesn't mean a lot because obviously when a company like Vinegar Syndrome puts out a four Kids, everybody goes crazy over And then another company asked me to produce another release of that film. I'm like, okay, Like that's kind of tough because a lot of people already bought it. But I think there was still some stuff to mine there, and I think we pulled off some pretty cool things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the visual essay that is in here? Who did it? That one is really good?
Speaker 6: Chris so Neil probably, yes, Yes, that one.
Speaker 5: His is really good. A Freaking's Enigma. Yeah, that one's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris is great at what he does. And then Michelle's is really really good on that one too, She's very talented.
Speaker 5: I liked all that. I mean, I had seen the Kids stays in the picture, so I didn't watch that again, but actually seen that a few times. But it's cool it's in there. I don't know why but whatever, it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of crazy to get it as a bonus in there.
Speaker 5: It's like whatever, it doesn't change the value you get in the box. Like it's like, yeah, here's another cool documentary. Why not? And then I watched only half of this, But I mean, I've seen the movie a bunch of times, but I watched the noir edition so so good. Like when we do talk about Erotic Eller is like, if you actually want to talk about what's actually a great movie Erotic earlier, this is like the only this is the only real five star one. This is like the best of the best one. There are a few others, I think our five star that I'll talk about, but like, independent of like my own quirks, that Last Seduction is incredibly good, and it was only because of like sort of a weird quirk and the Oscar systems of the year that Linda Farentino didn't get a nomination and everybody else sort of like god shushed aside. But it's a great movie. It's a great movie, and it looks amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will agree, it definitely looks great. They did an incredible job on that rest duration. I'm happy for them. As far as what I watch this week, I will say it's been a very short, heavy week for me this week. And I just want to employ everybody if you ever get some downtime or you're like trying to, I don't know, switch through a short night and you're like, I've got eighty minutes and I could find an eighty minute movie, but I don't know what to watch. Literally, pull up YouTube, pull up some of your discs. Check out some shorts. There are so many really great short films that don't see much beyond festivals and then a lot of times they're thrown onto a disc and forgot about. Some of these filmmakers literally spend more time on some of these shorts just to get attention to be able to make a feature, and then they're they're left there. They're never like paid properly. They usually they sink a lot of money to some of these shorts and then never recover from that. So check out YouTube, check out Vimeo, check out some of these streaming services. All shout out not one of my favorite streaming services because I don't really go to them all that often, but.
Speaker 5: I cant knaf my head set out.
Speaker 2: But I will say check out bloodstream TV. They've got some collections of short films from filmmakers that are just really eclectic and not something that you would expect to see. They've got some great stuff going on over there, So yeah, give them a shout out, some attention if you've ever considered that. Before we go into other stuff, let's talk about sound, because obviously tonight we're talking about LaserDisc. You are professional in lots of different ways surrounding sound. What do you do for sound?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a production sound mixer in New York City, so I work on movies and TV shows and anything in between. I've done sound for almost anything that you can think of, very very very little theater but a little bit, but basically any and everything that deals with sound for entertainment I've done at some point. Yeah, So anything related to sound and entertainment I can talk about I've done.
Speaker 2: What are What are some of the bigger movies or TV shows people might recognize that you've worked on.
Speaker 5: I was a production mixer for Severance the season one which was on Apple TV. We got a CIS Award nomination for that. I did this movie called The Secret Life of Walter Midti, The Amazing Spider Man two. I was the stunt unit mixer on, which is amazing. You know, I worked on a lot of reality TV shows, so I was a sound supervisor for Ink Master and Worst Cooks in America, and there's this the first season of Love and Hip Hop, I supervised and got that started Real Housewives in New Jersey back in the day. I supervised that. In fact, all of Bravo. If you or your loved ones like Bravo or you wish that they didn't. The reason why Bravo is sort of done the way it is is because in season three of Housewives in New York no I'm sorry of New Jersey, I sort of like introduced how you can multi track and do large cast events to them and that sort of I had to prove that it was doable to them before they would even sign off on it. We had just sort of done a version of it on Love and Hip Hop, but I proved that we could do it, and then, as far as I know, it was the first Bravo show that did live like in the field multi tracking. And now it's just like how every show.
Speaker 2: Is done standard.
Speaker 5: It's just the standard. But that's a lot. I mean that's a long time agoes twelve twelve years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't know how much you wanted to talk about it, but you've met miss Drew Barry Moore a few times.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I work on the right now. I'm the main thing I don't. I don't do as much anymore. I have two children and a busy partner, so like, I try to do a lot less, but I do still work on the Drew Barrymore Show as the I do the field pieces, so whenever they're not in the studio, I go out with them. We just went to Tennessee last week two weeks ago for a little thing we'll not actually air till next season. But yeah, so I worked with her. Whenever I see Drew, she gives me a hive. Hi, give me a hug, ask me how my wife's doing. So she's very nice, She's you know, she's cool.
Speaker 2: Ronnie's bringing up that you just did that my mom Jane Duck did my mom?
Speaker 5: Jane? Yeah, and I did. I'd done a lot of movies with this guy, Marshall Curry, who is a really good documentary filmmaker. On Netflix right now, they have The New Yorker at fifty we did that. It was a really good underseen one called street Fight. I didn't do that. He did that by himself. But then after street Fight he did Racing Dreams. It's about kids of race go karts. I think the DVD's dirt cheap, but it's a really really good movie. It's like almost twenty years old now, but I really like making that one.
Speaker 2: That's I think that one is streaming in a couple of places because I was just looking at that one.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: So lots of sound stuff if anybody has any questions about Sand for Brian, But one of the big things is you've got a couple of things that you can show us about Sand because you've got your sound rather through a mixer. Is that gonna work tonight?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it was just a codec from the theater. I have a really old computer. That's why I think it was causing the problem. But yeah, so, like you know, I don't I can't hear myself, which is probably good, so I'm assuming and hoping it sounds good to everybody. But this this is how you would do a sound for an interview. So for the people watching on a stream, that's the microphone, and I made it so it's just out of frame and boom. So that's like if you were doing it documentary where you had a bunch of sit down interviews, this is how you would mic it. And this is more or less what it should sound like, I'm assuming. And then you're like, well, what's the difference between that and a camera mic. Well, camera MIC's gonna sound like this. So here's a mic that's about the distance that the camera would be. It's still pointed at me. It's still a pretty decent mic, but it's gonna sound a lot more open. It's gonna sound a bit more airy. It's also a shotgun mic versus this cardioid mic, so that might have a little bit of different sound. Again, I'm not one hundred percent sure what this stream is going to do to it. And then you say like, you know, well, what about if I have a love mic on? Well, I actually do. I wearing a love mic right now. And then there's the lav mic. So if you're like, what does the lave mic sound like? This is what a love is like. And it's you know, I'm hidden under my clothing so you can't see it. I don't, and it's like a smaller diaphragm. It doesn't really have quite the same fullness. A lot of people would say, also, you you lose any sense of space. And you know, a lot of times when I'm making a documentary, especially like a Talking Heads one, you say you want it to sound important and fall and big and like you're in the room with them, and so yeah, sure we can use the lave. But I think this mic sounds a lot like more like I'm actually in the room with you. It sounds a bigger, fuller more I call someone called the NPR feel to it, and so like a whole thing is considered, this is the mic I want to use. So that sounds like a simple demonstration.
Speaker 2: Some good comments, Yeah, people noticing lots of differences. Yeah, it's it's a very interesting thing. Patty Boy wants and knows a sound good. How do you feel about Robert Altman movies?
Speaker 5: I really like Robert Alman movies. I there's not that many books classically written about like sound mixers and sound mixer techniques, because you know, more or less, it's like a technical profession. It's not it's not something that's like super fascinating unless you're really doing it. But there is a book that was written on a history of sound and sound mixers, and it plays over a lot of stuff and then they get to Altman and sort of in a sense, what he's doing, especially in things like Nashville, is crazy. Like you know, they had a truck that came in to do the twenty four tracks. It's on tape, so you know, they can only do I think at the time it's like twelve minutes, which is pretty similar to a mag but they're having to change. It's huge, giant and they would have a team of about I think nine people for Nashville, and yeah, they're really cool. What he did was amazing. That's a fun fact. I used to work at a rental house for a while in New York City and the last job we prepped was I prepped for them with them was Prairie Home Companion, and we did a sort of a version of that. We did forty eight tracks, and we sent it out to Minnesota, and uh, it was on disc like DVD discs, so you could only get about forty four minutes a disc, and it was like eight tracks, So there was what six of those stacked up, and so I bring it out there and we're installing it. The band played a lot, as far as I know, like they're supposed to hopefully happened, but the band played live the whole time. So all the music and everything, it's all done live. Everything done live. And I'm setting it up and we're like running through it and there showing the sound mixer and people are milling about, and I was like, it is, you know, as Altman here today, and they're like, oh no, he's not in today. We have his stand by, you know, if you have any questions. And I look over and I was like, stand by pt Anderson. And then indeed pt. Anderson had been hired as the DGA trainee as like the standby, because the studio was worried that all one was gonna die, and so if Almond died, he would have come in and finish the movie. Jeez. So I have a picture. Actually, about a year or so later, I met Altman at a Harry Belafonte benefit and took my stuff off and took a picture with him, which I almost never do. Very old Robert Altman in a very young me. Uh, I don't know, but I do like Almond Movies a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was what seventeen eighteen years ago something like that.
Speaker 5: I actually don't really know it. It was longer because.
Speaker 2: I slightly longer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is gonna be my twenty third I don't think I finished twenty three years of doing this in August, so probably about twenty two years ago. Jeez, twenty three years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh all then?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh when I met when I met him, when I met him for few year after, but very home companion was Yeah, twenty two, twenty three years ago.
Speaker 2: That's wild. So what was Uh? I don't think we've talked about that. What is your actual like first big studio sound gig that you got.
Speaker 5: Studio sound gig?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that tough question.
Speaker 5: I don't really The funny thing is I don't really know slash from I mean I did. I think it's probably the first. Well I did some days on that Sandra Bullock nine to eleven movie. Uh, do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: I remember it. I'm not gonna remember the time.
Speaker 5: I don't remember it's called either.
Speaker 2: So I did say the only nine to eleven movie I remember is right over me, fair.
Speaker 5: Enough whatever that if somebody in the Channel Now. But the Sandra Bullock Maximum Side Out nine to eleven movie. I had just gotten in the Union when they were making that and the guy, so when I was working at the rental house was the moment when like everything went from DAT tapes and analog tapes to digital multi tracking. So basically every mixer and their brother came in and I would sit down with them and talk to them about like what does this mean, what does this do? Blah blah blah blah blah. So when I left, I knew a lot of people, but I wasn't necessarily like I wasn't in the Union. No one was gonna high me street out of a rental house. But like I think it was maybe six seven years later when I got in the Union, I let some people know. And then the guy who ended up being my mentor, he was like, oh, come in for a week and work on a Sandra Bullock movie with me, and I was like, sure, no problem. So I get there and that was the first time I really worked with him, and it was fun. It was you know, interesting, He did a really good job, and you know, I did the week or whatever, and then I didn't hear from him for a while, maybe a year or two years, and he called me up and he's like, I'm going to go do a Secret Life of Waltermitty and Iceland and I need to take my cart and put it on a boat. And I'd been designing systems for lots of things for a long time, and I said okay, And so I would drive up every morning and you know, take his car depart and look through it and like kind of talk about like how we're going to break it into sections in order to put it on a boat. Then he had a lot of things he wanted to do too, so like it wasn't all my ideas, but just worked with him and eventually we like got his cart so it could break into three pieces and if we needed to week put on a boat. And then like a week into doing that, he's like, you know, why don't you just come to Iceland with me and do the movie. And I was like okay, So I was like sure, I'll come, and then yeah, then I went and did Walter Median. I only mixed the end, but I also did a lot of sound effects gathering, but he had to leave at the very end. I did like the last two or three days but I was the assistant, and most of the time on the studio movies, I was the assistant. I've only mixed a couple of bigger studio movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, I'm kind of curious about everybody in laser discs. So we put up a little pole. Do any of you have laser discs in your collection? Answer that question there in the chat. Love to hear about it. So laser discs, when did you start, Like, were you collecting back when they were No?
Speaker 5: I no, I didn't have any of that when I was a kid. But so I went to NYU for film school and the library used to have this cool thing where you could request a movie and they sort of like would play it in some random thing and you go and you put headphones on it would come on. But they had a ton of laser discs, and I had known that there were things like a commentary by Scorsese on Taxi Driver there wasn't anywhere else, and some Bond commentaries and stuff. So I would like put some of these on them, listen to the commentaries, because you know, I came to film really late. So when I first came to film, I sort of just started buying the Criterion DVDs. I was like a baseball umpire and there was a Borders bookstore, and not being Barnes and Noble, but Borders you can get like coupons. There'd be big discounts. So I basically have the first hundred Criterion DVDs that I bought as they came out. And that was like my pre film school film school, and so I just heard about some of these laser disks and whatnot. So whatever, I'm at NYU, and at one point they were like, we're gonna throw a lot of this away, and I was like what. So I took a whole bunch of them, and I was like, oh, this is cool. And then I started looking on Craigslist and it was a big change of this is like two thousand and two, two thousand and three, everybody was getting ready of their laser discs and they wanted DVDs. So I bought a little red wagon and I would like bring this wagon wherever I needed to or wherever I could, and I'd buy a laser disc for like fifty cents to a dollar apiece, sometimes less, and I'd haul them back to my place in Brooklyn, and you know, convinced my friends at they're cool, and I had like and I'd like a thousand and a half two thousand of them. And then at one point and the woman I was with for a long time and we broke up, and I was like, forget these laser discs, and I like got rid of almost all of them. I they had like two hundred left. And then when my older daughter was around four, this is like a year before the pandemic, I was like, I want to show where some movies because I actually took a real huge break from watching movies. I saw almost nothing from two thousand and seven to two thousand and seventeen, like almost nothing. I was just working, so I saw nothing. I watched nothing. So I was like, oh, I want to show her some movies, and especially I was like I want to show with the Line King. But we didn't have any streaming services and I was like, I don't want to hear this crap. So I was like, I saw my laser discp play, Oh, buy a copy of The Lion King. So I bought a copy of The Lion King and then it just kind of snowballed. And then when the pandemic happened, It was crazy first of all, like I didn't have anything to do at all, Like my job was just gone. But I was doing a Warner Brothers pilot, so I got a very very generous, like almost too generous severance from Warner Brothers for a while. And my wife was still working and I had Maddie, so I was like, I do anything do? So I started looking at Facebook, Marketplace and Craigslist and people were cleaning out their stuff and getting really lasers. So I drove from New Hampshire all the way past Baltimore wherever I could, all the time, just picking up huge amounts of laser discs. And at first I thought it was just kind of fun and it was interesting. And then it was a huge lot near where you live, and I sent my brother to it and he went and bought it, and I was like, I want you to send me these twenty and you can sell the rest if you want. And then he looked it up on eBay and he was like what because he paid like three hundred dollars for I think he sold that for like seven grand jeez, and and he was like, oh shit, this is great. So yeah, so I would just give them to my brother who runs a big eBay store, and anything I didn't want I would sell, and I just kept buying more and more. Hey, it was a little bit of a problem. And then one day, like one day I was just again on them on Facebook or something, I think on Facebook, I saw somebody say, Hey, anybody like laserdist My dad just passed away and he had a laserdist rental store. And I said, I do like laser discs. I'm clearly they have a rental store. I'll buy it from you. And he goes, there's only one problem. I was like, what it's like, I'm in I'm in Indonesia, and I was like, that's not a problem. Ship it over. So I bought the entire Indonesian a laserdisk store. And it took me a year and a half, almost two years to go through it all because it was a mess. But shit, it's just like I had been kind of interested in Hong Kong movies and I kind of knew what he had, but not exactly, and I was just like, let's just see what it is. And so I didn't know most of what was coming. In fact, most of it wasn't even in the database I had to look it up and figure it out and try to go through the whole thing, and just tons of things that just don't exist outside of this, and I just thought it was this interesting little rabbit hole, and I just started exploring it more and more. And so that's sort of how happened. And I don't buy so much anymore for plethora of reasons. One, I'm a little busier. Two is, you know, the cheap deals are sort of gone, and there's a handful of people that snap them all up in the area now and I don't have like the drop it out diamond drive somewhere to get something. And also it's just a lot of work in My brother has a child now too, so it's like it is what it is. It sort of wound itself down. I do try to fill in holes a little bit now and then, but I don't really go after like buying a big collection of anything.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, we'll have time for laser disc collection questions later. We're going to talk about a few things, like supplying laser disc cuts for physical meaty companies. We're going to talk about some of the more rare items. Of course, that's one of the more common questions that we hear a lot. But the cool thing as we talk about some of these announcements, we're going to talk about some of these and it's it's a lot funny enough. The first announcement that we're going to cover is going to be tied into some laser disc discussion. So let's talk about these announcements.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 2: Up coming from Imprint on June twenty fourth are all of these next slate that we're going to talk about. They are not available to pre order until May twelfth. This first one is Henry in June, and we are seeing a laser disc of Henry in June being held up by Brian already. Brian, why is this laser disc important? And why is this film important?
Speaker 5: I don't know if the laser disc is particularly important, but as a movie, this is the first movie that ever got released with the NC seventeen rating, So you know, if you want to do like a little Hollywood history, you know, the NC seventeen rating is sort of the NPA's reaction to the X and the X rating was started originally to sort of like shoehorn European cinema into a into an American audience and sort of let them know what it was, and then it sort of morphed over time to things like Midnight Cowboy and Last Tango in Paris, and then it morphed again into deep throat and hardcore, and you know, the hardcore companies they were basically took that one X rating and then you made a triple X. The MPa tried to sue and say, hey, you can't, you can't just steal a rating, and the company, the hardcore companies were like, yeah, we didn't. We made a triple X. You don't have a triple X rating. And so they were a little bit miffed about this for a number of reasons. I mean, one thing is you have to pay to get a rating, so not being able to submit and saying you've got a rating of triple X, you know, just sort of undercuts their whole arezoondetra scam, their whole scam. Yeah, so, like, you know, the X rating still actually continues all the way through the eighties, very little gets rated X, and then in nineteen eighty nine, actually things like The Matador when it gets released in the United States, it gets an X rating and they're like, what, that doesn't make any sense, and then a bunch of upstart like film producers, like this little guy, Harvey Weinstein. He brings in a movie, what is it, The Baker the Butcher. I'm like blanket on, I know the cook, the Baker, the Butcher, the.
Speaker 2: Baker, his wife and love.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So he brings in that Peter Greenway movie and it's like a combination of like stunt slash pr slash actually wanted to. He tries to like sue the MPAA and say that you can't give it an X rating because you're basically like you're basically like defaming my movie. The thing gets sort of thrown out of court, but the NPA kind of sees the writing on the wall. A few months later, they come up with this NC seventeen and Henry and June becomes their test case. And like two more things about Henry and June, Like, first of all, it's the follow up movie by Philip Kaufman who did The Unbearable Likeness of Being, which is a very good erotic movie, and he made Henry and June thinking it's like not gonna be as controversial as The Unbearable Likeness of Being, So he was a little bit surprised that it got the NC seventeen rating, and when it did get the rating, the NPA gave it the rating based on two qualifications. One it said it had five distinct scenes of lesbian sex, okay, And the other thing is it had a still image of a woman being pleased by an octopus. So those were the things that got at the NC seventeen rating.
Speaker 2: The third thing was fred Ward and.
Speaker 5: Fred Ward bald. Fred Ward is weird. But I did watch this movie this week and it's okay. I will say, like, there's not much. There's no drama or story in it. It's really like more or less just the awakening of Anie nin and has she sort of like comes to terms with who she is by sort of having a bunch of sexual escapades. But there's not a like in it. But she's not really naked in it. There's a lot of a lot of the sex scenes are actually like somewhat off put in. So the main couple, Aniss and her husband to go to a like bordello to watch two women have sex, but it ends up being more grotesque than anything that you could consider kind of erotic. It's a little it's very strange it's okay movie. That's one I would say, like anybody curious, this is worth watching, worth a pickup.
Speaker 2: Very interesting. Yeah, this is one that I see doing probably pretty well for them. This is going to have special features that they have not confirmed what those are yet, so check that out. Next one is Killer, a journal of murder from nineteen ninety five from Imprint. This is a first time on Blu ray anywhere in the world. This is going to have a new interview with James Woods. And look at that. We got a laser disc for that one too. This is crazy. I love it.
Speaker 5: Just happy I pulled them this week. So but finish, please finish, please finish.
Speaker 2: We've also got an interview with the director. We've got interview with the producer Janet Yang, interview with the author James Long. That's it as far as interviews, All brand new interviews though, including James Woods. But yeah, hit us with the laser disc.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what it doesn't have. It doesn't have a special audio commentary by the director, which is laser.
Speaker 2: Does stuck on the laser disc.
Speaker 5: So that's just kind of one interesting thing and I just wanted to point this out. So like not every movie is released all over the place. But you know, that's what it looks like released in the US, and this is really more or less a made for TV movie. That is I watched this today. It's more or less a made for TV movie that was good enough that they released it theatrically. This is by Spelling Film and Republic in the nineties. They're basically making stuff for TBSTNT, whatever. But they also released it in Japan, and look how different that looks. But if you think that's really weird, it's one of the weird, rare ones that got released in Indonesia. And that's how you know it's amaze for TV movie because most of these Indonesian releases are pre sold, so this was probably a pre sold item. So before they even made the movie, they sold home video rights to Indonesia and you could buy it on laser Just there.
Speaker 2: We just got three copies of Killer A Journal of Murder on laser disc on the show. That is incredible.
Speaker 5: So that's why sometimes I don't always know exactly what I'm getting. I just I mean, I know what I'm getting in a certain extent, but I don't know that movie until this week, and then I realized I had three versions of it.
Speaker 2: Let's see, Brendan is asking a question, but we're gonna talk about this later, just so you know. He says, I want to try a legitist, but I don't know where to find a player. Brian will help you in just a little while. For sure. Let's continue on with some of these announcements because Imprint they are put I mean, I know you and I are fans of Import, but they are putting out a ton of stuff lately. Their third announcement for this group again, first time on Blu Ray Anywhere in the World. Victor from nineteen ninety six, pretty great cast on this one. We got Willing to Foe Sam Neil Simon Callo. This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Michael Brook. We get a new new interview with Bill Paxon on this one, and that's gonna be it. But that's pretty damn great to get both of those on one disc together. You need to show us a Lasier disc for Victory.
Speaker 5: And didn't get released on Laser disc. But it that's not really interesting. I do think this one seems interesting. I also say for the Killer, I don't like that movie's like it's basically like a serial killer movie. But you know in the in real life he like raped like a thousand men, killed twenty one people.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: He went over to Africa as part of like like a like a mercenary in which he threw like six locals to crocodiles for fun. He also bought a twelve year old girl and an eight year old girl. But in the movie The Killer, they kind of try to make him a bit of a hero, and so you get sort of like James Wood's like spouting a lot of nonsense.
Speaker 2: So you do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would not suggest I would not suggest that one, but this one looks great.
Speaker 2: I will say. One thing is when I saw this cover, obviously, like when you zoom in and really pay attention, it looks a lot like Willem Dafoe. This to me looks like a very grizzled Michael Shannon. And uh, never really notice how much Michael Shannon and Willem Dafoe look alike until this picture.
Speaker 5: It's crazy, all right.
Speaker 2: Next up is the Assignment again. First time, I'm blu Ray anywhere in the world. This is from nineteen ninety seven. Let's see it that's a fun cover.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't seen this one.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice movie. Eddie says, three copies and he doesn't like the movie. Yeah, he's addicted.
Speaker 5: But it doesn't matter. The thing is, it doesn't matter if I like it or don't like it. That's like not really that interesting. If if you want to save what's left of it, you have to save all of it in my opinion. So like, even if I don't like a laser if I don't like a blue ray, yeah I get rid of it or whatever. But like, if I don't like a laser disc, it doesn't doesn't devalue the thingness of that thing. So to me, it doesn't It doesn't really matter if I like them or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that one. Uh So the Assignment Aiden Quinn Donald Sutherland, Sir Ben Kingsley, we got a trailer coming on the disc and that's it was. There was there anything stuck on this laser disc?
Speaker 5: I'm kind of ye, there's nothing on a laser disc. I watched a little bit of it actually looked pretty interesting. It's kind of a Jackal movie, so like there's yeah, yeah, it looked cooln Kingsley. Ben Kingsley again, plains a race that he is not.
Speaker 2: But whatever, it's kind of what you could make your career out of. Imprint, says inspired by the real life Hunt for the Jackal, This gripping spy movie from the Art of War filmmaker Christian Duquet stars Aiden Quinn, Donald Sutherland, and Sir Ben Kingsley. This is a yeah, fifteen hundred copies, like all of their regular leases that they do. Next up is The Trigger Effect from nineteen ninety six. You're reaching, so we must got that one too. Look at that. I love this.
Speaker 5: I got most of them the year I announced, so don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, all right. Ronnie wants to point out that Ben Kingsley is part Indian, so yeah, fair enough, all right? The Trigger Effect. This one is the directorial debut of the acclaimed screenwriter David Kepp. This is going to have on vintage interviews with Kyle maclauch, Elizabeth Shoe, Maroney, David Kepp, theatrical trailer, and more special features that they're going to confirm later. To be fair, it does not say more new special features, but I would hope that it would be something coming.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this movie's not bad. I go watched it this week as well. Like the first actually the first third you think like an erotic thriller is going to break out, and then it sort of changes and I'm interested in that, and then I really loses steam. The final the final thirty minutes is not good, but the first hour is quite good.
Speaker 2: I also I love Elizabeth Shoe. Yeah, she's great, She's always incredible.
Speaker 5: She's great. And some was Drummo Maroney in this movie really good.
Speaker 2: That's true. Speaking to good movies. Imprint on that same day releasing a four K Blu ray dual format of Bound. Now, Yes, Bound has been released by Criterion on four K here in the US, but this is going to be coming to Australia for the first time. It doesn't look like any of these extras are brand new. They're just poured it over from the previous releases, but they might have better encoding than Criterion. Let's see it. We know you got it.
Speaker 5: Well, this is the US one, and you can see they basically just took the VHS image and they stuck it on a laser disk. Boring, So why have the US one? You can see this original I worked from the Japanese one. Oh that's cool.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. Well, I oh that's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Japanese one is awesome, and there's no special watch. The same commentary is actually on this laserness that's around forever with the watchowskis and the actresses and actor.
Speaker 2: That was weird. It goes chaub for a second, and now we're back. Ronnie says, I'm drooling over these bound laser discs. Yeah, the Japanese one is incredible. Yeah, I kind of wish Criteria that used a version of that for their cover.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's actually very cool. And the Hong Kong Laser just kind of uses a version of this too. Another reason why I like these multiple copies is a reversion, let's say, is that you can see how a movie is sold throughout the world in the moment. So in nineteen ninety what is nineteen ninety five, right six? In nineteen ninety six, you know, there's there's a cover that's made for a VHS and in the United States, nobody thinks to do anything slaps in the middle really the laser disc. But when they bring it to Asia, there's actually a different person in a different marketing team and a different whatever and they select a different style of imaging and a different style of cover, and they make it for their own market. And you know, you can tell what they're selling, what they're interested in, and what they care about. And I think that actually can be instructive in and of itself.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, kind of relevant. I was going to ask about this later, but may as well ask it now, especially because somebody in the chat is bringing it up. This movie's thirty years old. This came out thirty years ago ish on laser disc. We're facing some DVDs getting disc rut right now? Is there anything like disc rut for laser discs?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it gets complicated, but they do rot. It depends on where they're made, so they're really only about fifteen places a little more, maybe eighteen places than the world that ever made laser discs. The worst offender is there was a factory in Ohio called I'll think of it in a second, but whatever. The factory in Ohio used to be a furniture manufacturing plant and switched over to laser disc and their quality control was crap. So when you get their stuff, it tends to rot. The Japanese laser discs are usually made of They did have a couple of smaller ones, but one of two places, and they made great, great presents, and then the couple others in the United States were very very good as well. European laser discs, like the pow ones, they tend to rot a lot more often. And then when you look into East Asia, like some of those they rocked sometimes. But honestly, like if all you really care about is a picture quality, I would not suggest buying the laser disc.
Speaker 2: Understandable, although for a while laser discs, to be fair, were kind of the gold standard.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they look great. It just they looked very specific.
Speaker 2: Yes they do, and we'll talk about that. We'll talk about why they were even a format in a little bit. But that's not it for Imprint. Next up from them is from nineteen ninety three. We got a Bronx tail. This is one that has already come out elsewhere, so this is coming to Australia now. And now there is here a new interview with the star Catherine Narducci. There is some archival extras on here as well. There's all kinds of stuff going on here. But let's see a Bronx too.
Speaker 5: So so when I would buy collections, Lord knows what they were, what would happen to them or anything. So I can't authenticate this. But this one's signed by Chas Pulmonary and Robert de Niro. So I bought that for about a dollar. I mean, if you think about what I sold, what I didn't want for, they paid me.
Speaker 2: To take this, right, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: So yeah, maybe that's why. Maybe that's them, But that's a brown chio. This is a very good movie. I like this movie a lot.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a good movie. I've not seen it a long time. I need to see it again. Great looking release from Imprint. This looks pretty dang exciting. Lots of extras here. Hopefull in Print encodes this one pretty well. They've been doing fairly great with their four k's lately, so I'll give them the benefit of the dead. Any of the thoughts on a Bronx tail.
Speaker 5: No, it's definitely worth watching. If you haven't seen it, you should see it.
Speaker 2: Cool then how about Game of Thrones? November third in the US and Canada and then November two the UK. We are getting this fifteen year anniversary Steel Book Library collection from Warner Brothers and it's just it's just steel books, just four K steel books. All the discs are identical to every release that have always come out for this over the last fifteen years. Thoughts on Game of Thrones because I'm not gonna have a lot to say about it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I watched when it came out. I liked it last week the what's it after you played with John snow Kit something Kit Harrington? Yeah, I worked with him last week. He's the same height as me and I'm not very tall, so I was surprised. Very nice, very British. But yeah, it's I think it's one of those things that, like, you know, like when you think about like the Sopranos, like if you weren't watching it in the early two thousands, it seems like a chore to go back and watch not much now. I think Game of Thrones is kind of like that, especially if you don't like fantasy, and fantasy honesty is not really my thing. But I don't know why I just was into this one.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe i'd like it because I'm not into fantasy and I've not watched more than I don't know, forty seconds of this thing ever. Total.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you don't like it. You don't like it, no problem with that.
Speaker 2: I will say I breezed right through the Sopranos years after it played, and that was still great. All right. Next up, Flight from twenty twelve, getting a four K and blu ray release from Keena Lober on July twenty. First, we got a new audio commentary by Julie Krugo and Peter Hancoff, and there's also a new interview with Roberts Mechis on this, and then the screenwriter, John Getten's is on that interview as well. Any thoughts on Denzil's a mechas or Flight.
Speaker 5: I've never seen Flight. I think that's in that that Helsey on time when I didn't see anything. But I always like a good Denzel Washington movie. I'm not I'm sure Roberts Mechus has made anything good in a long time, but maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, not only that John Goodman's in this, which means it has to be a good movie. That's fun too, all right. Next up, we've got the second of the Keno Lober Britt noir collections that they're doing. This one is coming on June thirtieth, and this covers nineteen fifty two to nineteen fifty six. The Mighty Jack Hopkins takes center stage in this triple feature of this noir. We got an audio commentary for the film Home at Seven by Julie Krgo and Peter Hancoff. We at an audio commentary for The Intruder by Julie Kergo and Peter Hancoff. We an audio commentary for The Long Arm by Lawrence Lherman. Any thoughts on those three films are British noir.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen any of them, but they're all interesting to me. I like these Kino sets. I actually I like most of what Keno does, but you know, not always. I just wish it was a little bit better. But I think they're usually interesting and they're cheap so it's easy to pick up when the sales are on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one will likely end up at you know, ten bucks towards And I mean, how do you complain about films that are pretty good?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Next up, we've got a June twenty third four K release from Keno of Hang Them High from nineteen sixty eight. Previously, this was done I believe by Shout on Blu Rays. Part of that Shout select collection. This one is going to have a new audio commentary by Steve Mitchell. We got an archival commentary by Lem Dobbs and Nick Redmond on this one as well. That is it other than a trailer? Hang them high.
Speaker 5: I know you don't like Eastwood, but actually think it's pretty good one. And the original Laser just looks really cool. They like painted art.
Speaker 2: That is pretty cool.
Speaker 5: It's a pretty violent movie. I like this one. This one, This one is not bad. It's like it's it's actually like a real it feels a little bit more like a spaghetti Western than a lot of his other stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe I like it more than all right. Next up one that we know you don't have on laser disc. May twenty fifth, We're getting a Blu ray and DVD release over in the UK from light Bulb Films of Diabolic from twenty twenty five. This says, after suffering terrifying blackouts, a young woman returns to the religious compound where she was raised. As she unravels the dark secrets of her past, an ancient ritual unleashes the vengeful spirit of a cursed witch. I believe, and I know that you pay attention a lot to them. Wasn't this released by Umbrella as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it was.
Speaker 2: Got it That's where I'm recognizing it from diabolic? Did did you pick this one up? Did you end up watching this?
Speaker 5: I didn't get this one. I really like Umbrella a lot, but the cost benefit of analysis of continuing to like Umbrella a lot sometimes like Pumps the Brakes a little bit on it for me, but they put out like they do just killer releases, but they're just gigantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's sounds expensive. Yeah, And that's I mean, the big thing. I don't remember if we covered it on the show just recently, just a heads up. Even if we did cover it, we may as well drive it in. Umbrella did raise their price for free shipping recently. It used to be one forty US and now I think it's two hundred US, and that's a significant difference. It used to be you could buy like a movie and a half and that would be enough for free shipping, and now it's I mean you got to get essentially three in pay like two hundred and forty dollars sometimes.
Speaker 5: I mean that being said, did you get the kids release? That is a crazy, crazy big.
Speaker 2: The looks I've got like the standard that they did.
Speaker 5: Look that is I mean, I really I'm a big pan of I remember seeing that in high school. So I saw that I was like, go for it. And it hadn't been out forever, so like, they really do a good job of mining like my childhood. I feel.
Speaker 2: Kids is your child I.
Speaker 5: Mean no, but it was like existed at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I had to make that comment. Somebody. Let's keep going. June twenty third from Wellgo USA, we got a Blu ray DVD coming of Dirty Hands from twenty twenty five. This will have a trailer on the disc and that is it. I just want to point out what I said at the beginning, well Go USA, you put out pressed discs of good films, people will continue to buy them. You do this BDR that is locked to Amazon and very expensive, You're gonna do a lot worse than normal. This is not a great move, and I hope that they go back to doing what they used to because Welgo has done some good stuff over the years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like, I have a handful of Wellgo things that I really enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of Wellgo, the next thing June second, they're doing a blu ray and DVD of seven thirty one from twenty twenty five. If you recognize that number, it's because this is the Japanese Imperial Armies notorious Unit seven thirty one during World War Two that was also the subject of a couple we'll say notorious films are okay, three notorious films before this, known as the Men Behind the Sun trilogy. This says, based on the true horse conducted by that Japanese Imperial Armies Notorious Unit seven thirty one during World War Two. Under the pretense of science, prisoners are used for inhumane and tortuous experimentation in developing bacterial and chemical weapons order to organize and pascifize fellow prisoners. A man witnesses the harrowing corruption and suffering in the camp. The long suppressed war crimes and horrific experimentation remain one of humanity's darkest moments of depravity. This is a wild looking trailer. I think people should watch the trailer because it looks crazy. Anyways, going to our next one and it blacked out, that's really weird. Thanks Instagram for failing me in this moment. What is our next one? Okay, I guess it doesn't like that post. Let's just carry on. That's weird. Why is it not showing this one random post? What is this? All? Right? Anyways? Fast Forward Fast Forward is coming on Blu Ray in the US from Alliance. This is from nineteen eighty four and it's coming as part of the Retro VHS collection. It's literally just a Blu ray and a slipcover that's made to look like it has a VHS in it. There's not gonna be any special features on these discs whatsoever except maybe a trailer sometimes. Flash Forward is a Sydney Poatier film, and we've got a laser disc for this one. Oh that is a much better cover.
Speaker 5: I didn't get to watch it, which I'm a little bummed out. That was my next one, but I ran out of time.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah that I like that art a lot more.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this one?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 2: From what I hear, this is awful. Anybody that chats see this one.
Speaker 5: Doesn't surprise me. This is like way past Sidney Platiers, you know, prime as far as having any power and ability in.
Speaker 2: Right right, nineteen eighties was not the boon for what the direction. June thirtieth, we got the same thing coming. We've got you light Up My Life from nineteen seventy seven coming as part of this retro VHS collection. This one is a Joel Silver film with D. D. Cohn. Do we have a laser disc for you?
Speaker 5: Light Up my Life doesn't exist on laser disc?
Speaker 2: Understandable. I kind of not surprised in any way that it does.
Speaker 5: It's like a little bit before so like seventy e's when it starts, which I guess we'll talk about later. So if it's released in seventy seven and it has like nobody who cares about it, you're not going to get a laser disc release, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. All Right, Let's go to our next one, which all of a sudden, Allian's pumping out these retro VHS collections. June thirtieth. They're now doing White Palace, the Jason Alexander, Susan Sarandon and Kathy Bates starring film with of course the uh magnet for erotic thrillers mister James Spader and I hear a laser disc. Oh look at that same cover. Nice?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the same This movie is actually pretty darn good. Would I would give this a lot more credit than it has. It's like a May December movie where like Susan Sarandon's forty three when she's actually forty three, and James Spader plays a twenty seven year old he's actually twenty seven, and she's sort of like a poor waitress from the wrong side of the tracks and he's a rich Jewish guy from the right side of the tracks. And will they get together? Will they not? It's a little cheesebally at times, but especially like the first half, they really go for it and it's pretty darn good, and James Spader is like always doing something interesting. I think it's absolutely worth a watch. Well you know you want to buy it? I don't know, but it's definitely worth watching.
Speaker 2: Is it actually erotic with that cover?
Speaker 5: I mean there's a lot of nudity in it. I don't know if that matters how much Susan s random Nu did you did you want? Because there's a lot of it?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's get our names, budd Well, that's always a good thing. June thirtieth, the next from that Alliance line of retro VHS collection, We've got Cold Steel from nineteen eighty seven. The face you recognize there is Jonathan Banks from Breaking Bad. Of course, we've got Sharon Stone in this one as well. We got Brad Davis. This one sounds pretty damn good. LAPD Detective Johnny Modine's world is shattered when his father's brutally murdered. Determined to avenge his father's death, Johnny puts his career in a sanity on the line in an all out effort to bring the killer to justice, But his road dissatisfaction is littered with some very familiar in deadly characters, and he soon discovers that the death was anything but random. Hit us.
Speaker 5: So this is the Hong Kong release, which is the only place that got released on laser disc. I really like how they put Sharon Stone in there. And now, why would you think that this would get released in Hong Kong in nineteen ninety in nineteen ninety two, Why would that be? I have no idea, But maybe it's because they keep putting her everywhere else tire up. But she has like one sex scene in the movie. It's okay. The real thing about this movie, it's kind of interesting, is that it's directed and written by Dorothy N. Puzo Puso, Mario Puzo's daughter, and the Imprint released it with nothing on it as well, which was too bad. But it's okay. I liked it. I didn't love it. I liked it. There's two cool car chases and the final fight is pretty cool. Little little Wonky.
Speaker 2: Better than some of the movies that we've got releases for.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no, no, It's definitely worth a watch.
Speaker 2: All right. Next up June thirtieth, we get a Blu ray and DVD coming in the US from movie of last year's film, The Mastermind from Kelly Wrhi Cart saw this one in theaters. Did you happen to catch this one last year?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I saw it on movie I thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I like this one a lot. I know that it was semi devisive a lot of people. I think the people that like Kelly Reichart really liked this.
Speaker 5: He does the same movie. So if you don't like Kelly Recoy, why are you watching the same movie again to see?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's great. For some people, it's just too slow and not enough happens. But man, it's just so well made. It's fun. You're long for a fun story. And Josh O'Connor man, he had a hell of a year last year. Dude can act.
Speaker 5: He's great. He's really great. It's definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 2: I agree. Rumor is right now. By the way, if you're a format stickler or something like that, the rumor is Movie is putting out a four K of this, but only in the UK, not in the US, which kind of an odd choice, especially from a company like Movie who's not necessarily doing super well with everybody right now. So people don't like movie.
Speaker 5: People don't like movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had some investment money that was found out to be from some dark places.
Speaker 5: That makes sense, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Next up, finally getting a four K release in the UK after it already had one here in the US. We got Studio Canal putting out a four K of Rush. This one is from twenty thirteen and this will be on June twenty ninth. This will have deleted scenes, the real story of Rush and a race for the Checkered Flag, the making of Rush. I had never seen this one. I gotta admit not a huge Ron Howard fan. For a lot of movies bad, not good.
Speaker 5: Not good. I don't see this movie, but I would not choose to spend my time with Ron Howard and almost any way, shape or form. Although my kids loved the stupid live action Grinch movie, and I know why you love it. They love it so much. I see it lived four times every holiday season. It's nuts.
Speaker 2: Carry's fantastic in that movie.
Speaker 5: But I guess, but it's not the Jim Carrey I remember.
Speaker 2: I agree. I also, for some reason, I enjoyed Eden last year, and I can't really say why. The one with the swing and yeah, it's it was all right.
Speaker 5: I mean he's a component director. He's just not any I don't think it's any fun.
Speaker 2: Well, he is the most vanilla directory.
Speaker 5: Oh god, yeah, yeah, god.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some films that already have multiple releases. June twenty second, we're getting a collector's edition four K steel book in the UK from Anime Limited of the Dark Crystal from nineteen eighty two. They're also doing just like a standard four K steel book, where you just get the steel book itself, but if you want all of the bells and whistles with this thing, you can check it out. It's got a double walled rigid box, inner steel book packaging and a sixty four page art book. With this, it will have additional bonus blu ray disc with extra feedures all that fun stuff. But of course, at the same time they're also doing Labyrinth and essentially identical style packaging. It's the same steel books that have come out previously. Nothing new on that front. None of the extras are going to be new, but I'm sure these have blazer discs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the dark crystal Japanese one, it's really cool.
Speaker 2: Interesting is that? How rare is that one?
Speaker 5: I don't think it's crazy rare. This is an old press. This is like, this is not going to be like the best looking one, but the cover is really great. And then just this one is not really worth a ton of time thinking about. But you notice they never really change his Labyrinth cover. Yeah, so it makes me believe that there's like some reason that this guy has to be somewhere dead center on the cover. So that's why it never changes. So anytime you get Labyrinth, you always have that on the cover.
Speaker 2: Yep, there's got to be some sort of you know, not only just contract of him, but obviously he can't approve another likeness. He can't sign off on anything. The estate probably doesn't even want to consider signing off on any of it. So yeah, we're kind of stuck with it. And I believe if I remember right, that Labyrinth one is Drew Strusan.
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 2: I think so it It certainly looks like it at.
Speaker 5: Least right, it does look like it. I mean it's not bad art. It's just the same one for forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for everything forever. Eddie says, Japanese lazer covers were the best to let my last Starfighter framed. Nice, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a beautiful It's a beautiful one. That is that one is becoming more and more valuable, so keep it, especially if you have the Obie. If you have the Obie as the side strip, if you get I believe the Obie on that is shiny foil, so you have that. If you have the Shiny Foil Obi, you got a lot of You got some good money there.
Speaker 2: Nice all right? Next up, July seventh, g Kids and Shout are working together on a Blu Ray release of All You Need Is Kill from twenty twenty five. I've heard this is very great. Have not seen this? This will have a director scene breakdown on the disc director and cast pre screening, discussion, storyboards with director commentary, art gallery, teasers, and trailers. That being said, again, if you're like a format whrror or somebody that loves steel books, ge kids in Shout have been sort of like leaking or pre listing some of the Blu ray releases and then listing a four K on some of their titles and maybe within a couple months doing like a four K steal book. So you might want to hold out on this. This isn't going to be super limited, but if it's one you're after, just keep an eye out. They technically haven't even announced everything for this month. This is just one that came out early, so we can keep an eye out for more on that one. Have you seen this one? I'm assuming not.
Speaker 5: No, I haven't seen it, but it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Next up, one more of those retro VHS releases, nineteen eighty eight's Sunset is coming on June twenty third from Alliance. This one says it's nineteen twenty nine. Tomics has been cast to play the legendary law man why at Earp. Trouble is Earp has been hired as a technical expert on the film, So the Old West and the New Hollywood Colyde becoming a vivid backdrop for a shocking murder mystery. This one has James Garner, Bruce Willis, Blakekeek Edwards, Kathleen Quinlan. Do we have a laser disc for some Yeah?
Speaker 5: You do have a The Sunset?
Speaker 2: Nice it's the.
Speaker 5: Same cover because they did again they just stuck their the vhslasers. I haven't seen this, but this looks actually interesting. Yeah, I honestly think this could be fun. It's like really late Blake Edwards.
Speaker 2: So and very early Bruce Willison.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Picture a little bit of old man movie in some ways, but like sometimes they're fun, I will say, though rarely a director's last movies are the good are the good stuff?
Speaker 2: But you never said? But true unless they die out expectedly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or it's cooperrect right true?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess he died unexpectedly.
Speaker 2: That's true. I guess I was wrong. I forgot there was one more we got. Nineteen eighty four's Love Lines also coming to this Alliance retro VHS. This is on June twenty third. I have to think this one at a leisure.
Speaker 5: Does it does not. Unfortunately I thought it would too. I was certain it did, but it did not.
Speaker 2: Interesting, very interesting. Yeah, I've never seen this movie. Fun cover on this. Have you seen this one? No?
Speaker 5: This looked I was like actually hoping they had a lectend just to see it because it looked interesting.
Speaker 2: Nice. Uh, yeah, this is one I'd be curious to see if anybody in the chat I seen. I'd love to hear some feedback on that one's cut.
Speaker 5: Like, if those are all priced decently, I think a lot of those movies are worth checking out. I think they're interesting things.
Speaker 2: So here's the problem. When Milk Creek was releasing these and it was all you know, the sony titles they were, they were able to be got for like twelve bucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: These are now listed on all the third party retailers right now for twenty seven ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's crazy for a Bearbones Alliance Blu ray with a retro VHS slipcover.
Speaker 2: And that's it. That's crazy dollars, Brian.
Speaker 5: That's not I was thinking there maybe sixteen seventeen dollars.
Speaker 2: They popped up for pre order on Amazon and it said twenty seven ninety nine. I went, okay, it's Amazon pre order, that'll drop, It'll be at most you know, it's been a few years, Okay, seventeen ninety nine, eighteen ninety nine, something like that, and then on third party of retail, Atomic has it for twenty seven ninety nine.
Speaker 5: That's rough.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry these are not worth twenty seven to ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Especially because noways seen these movies, these are all things are so deep and like an archive of an archive of an archive.
Speaker 2: And it's great. Some of them have have not been released on Blu Ray before, so that's exciting. But my goodness, not Oh gosh, that's that's a lot of money for these, all right. Warcraft from twenty sixteen is getting a ten year anniversary four K steel book on June sixteenth from Universal. Nothing new on the disc, just the exact same disc, ten year anniversary steel book. I'm not a warcraft guy, you're not a fantasy guy. Is this a movie you've seen?
Speaker 5: No? No, it's a no, I've never seen this.
Speaker 2: From what I hear, is not terrible, but it also supposedly clued in on a possible sequel, and then it bombed, so they did nothing with it so a little open ended. Yeah. Next up, speaking of odds, Stinking nineteen sixty two is to Kill a Mockingbird getting a four K steel Book on June sixteenth. Again, had already been out on four K. This is not like a brand new premiere or anything like that. I just this has to have a laser disc. No, it does? It does?
Speaker 5: It does? I didn't actually bring it. Could do to a small mix a bit. It actually has a special edition laser disc and it's part of what's called the Signature series of laser discs from Universal, and most of the special features actually are on the laser disc. The big old gatefold and had a bunch of stuff, but I forgot it and I didn't bring it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's too bad. That's sorry. You shared three copies of one thing early. You're ahead of the game. I got com nineteen ninety six is a racer. We had talked about this one coming to four K steal Book. Well, they also revealed that it will be getting a standard four K. Those are both coming on June sixteenth in the US. That'll be June fifteenth in the UK. This will have new special features. We got reinventing the modern action hero, the Evolution of Arnold, and then nineties action thriller Reimagined. I'm hearing the sound of a sleeve.
Speaker 5: Look that's the Japanese one. Yeah, somebody was asking in the chat, does about rot? So the classic edition or a classic laser just that tends to rot? Is the US edition of a racer almost always is rotted. But the Japanese one plays perfectly and has a better cover. Anyways, But I would say this movie did not need a four K for most of it, although some of them might look good, but the visual effects are going to look rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are unless they spent way more than they definitely did not know.
Speaker 5: They didn't do it for X Men.
Speaker 2: They're never going to do it for a racer, right Zepam is talking about this artwork? Good lord, this artwork.
Speaker 5: Eh, yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 2: But the really bad photoshop.
Speaker 5: I saw the what the special edition one had a different artwork?
Speaker 2: Right? The seal book looks pretty nice, very very green. Yeah, that one looks decent at the very least. Yeah, it's fine, It's not certainly not bad.
Speaker 5: I kind of like this movie, though, to be honest. I put it on this morning when I was biking, and I have no real complaints about it. It's exactly it's like Arnold at the height of Arnold, Like if you like Schwarzeneger movies, so you basically like all those classics. Then you get a racer and then went at the end of Days and then the sixth Man, sixth Day, and then it's all over. So like it's not so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I like Arnold quite a bit. Yeah, I'm into it. Lionsgate Limited had some announcements this week May nineteenth that they are doing a four K Blu ray dual format of Ginger Snaps. This is just the first film from two thousand. This is number thirty nine in their vestro On video collection, which means this is the second four KUHD from vest On, the first being the substitute. This will have a lot of the legacy special features from the previous second Site release. The lions Gate Limited new extra will be called the Packed Ginger Snaps Forever. There is the second site that Brian's got there. This is the inside sleeve art which is the original poster, and then another new copy of the new art. I gotta admit not a huge Ginger Snaps guy never loved this movie. Any thoughts on this for you?
Speaker 5: Oh, I like this. I only saw the first one, but the first one I think is pretty good. I actually saw it in the theaters. You said it's kind of in two thousand, but I remember seeing in two thousand and one. But maybe maybe I am wrong, But yeah, yeah, I think I saw in New York. But anyways, I thought the first one was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's certainly the best of the three by far, I am. I mean, I don't know if I should be surprised. Vestern On has been quite lazy lately, but I am surprised when Second Site already had a trilogy Blu ray out and it did very well. I'm kind of surprised they didn't just do four K on all three of them, because that would have enticed a lot more people to buy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm surprised too. I wonder what the I wonder what did they shoot?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 5: And three?
Speaker 9: Are?
Speaker 5: Like? What years do come out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Those, I mean they had to have been fairly quick after that.
Speaker 5: Do I have it right here? I could love? I wish I could look. I'm old and I need glasses.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling the third one was probably not on film.
Speaker 5: The thing is also if they get into that hairy area where everybody just has these two KDIs it's like there's no you can't do anything.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. At least put them, you know, put the four K of the first one and put a blu ray of the next two. Yeah, tes true, because I don't think the second and third one I've had blu ray releases in the States, although I may be not remembering anyways. This is not the only lines Gate Limited release this month. We also have Hearts of Darkness from nineteen ninety one, the documentary about Apocalypse Now and the making of this is. Those two releases, by the way, are coming from lines Gate Limited on May nineteenth on. This is just all of the legacy special features for a film that a lot of people call a special feature. The lines Gate Limited extras. They've got lots of documentaries on here. They've got a visit to China's Maw Country from nineteen ninety six, Circle of Memory, code Eleanor Croppola introduction CODEA thirty years later making a Marie Antoinette. Francis Ford. Coppola directs The rain Maker on the set of CQ Making of the Virgin Suicides for short, and they'll be on this one primarily. And I'm hearing a sleeve again. Do we have something for this?
Speaker 5: Sorry, I should move my microphone.
Speaker 2: No, you're good, You're good.
Speaker 5: That's the laser disc. I actually love this movie. I sort of balked at the cost of the UK one, but I might get this one. That's if it's not unreasonable, because this is a super If anybody's interested in what it's like to make a movie, especially like seventy eight seventy nine, that is great. Yeah it was really great. Yeah, nothing but praise for that movie. Five star movie.
Speaker 2: I also just love documentaries about making movies. They're always at least fun, although sometimes not very good. All right, next up, King of Not very Good. June twenty third, we got a blu ray coming from Sony of I Know What You Did last summer the complete series. This was an Amazon original show that they did about five years ago. I saw the remake of the movie last year and hated it. And from what I hear, this is better than the movie that came out last year, but still bad. Any thoughts. I'm sure you did not see this.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't see this. I do like the first two movies.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, the first two are fine, they're they're okay. Next, we got a weird one here June twenty third, we got a Blu ray coming from Decal here in the States of Julia du Carnot's Alpha from this year in the US last year in the UK. Wanted to remind everybody when I posted this that Curzone just recently released this in four K and the US isn't even getting a pressed Blu ray. This is going to be a mod Blu ray. This is a bad choice. I don't understand why they're essentially telling everybody, yeah, we don't care, just go buy the UK version. This will have an interview with the director on it and a ta are in a trailer. I have not yet gotten to see this one. Is this one that you've been able to see?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't seen it, but I have a couple of friends who saw it, and they were actually kind of pushing me to see it at the end of last year. They were like, this movie is great. They thought it was like, really like the kind of movie that I would like. So I'm assuming that means it's like somewhat dirty, somewhat subversive, a little bit dark, but very French, I think, but I would hope.
Speaker 2: So have you seen all of our other stuff? All both of them?
Speaker 5: Noah, I think the only two others, right, I saw one of them. I'm trying to remember what were the titles again, because I know I went to the theater with them. Yeah, it doesn't matter, but yeah, that looks interesting. I mean, I think that movie looks interesting. It's too bad. I got a crap release in the States, but totally interesting.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right, I got the UK one. We're good. We also had an exciting week because we got Manda Macabre announcements. All of these are going to becoming mid June. They're gonna be for pre order on It's gonna be live on Thursday May seventh at ten am Pacific, one pm Eastern. And I love Mondo MiCab Broa. Do you have an ongoing history with Monta micav Robrian. Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, all those I have, like I don't know fifty of them or so nice? I think I don't I think you actually, I think no, it was I'm sorry. There's a DVD that they put out of Indonesian action movies. So I bought that one and then I think it was actually your show. One of the early times I watched or listened to an archive episode where that you were talking to the Mondo people, and I was like, huh, And then I looked them up and then I basically pre order every time they come out because there's like some of them I haven't loved, but they're always interesting and they're always weird, and they're done with love. You can tell like their try like even when there's not many a special features, you can be like, oh, this is what they could get or this is what they could figure out. And I think they're I think there's only like one that I really didn't.
Speaker 2: Like so interesting. Yeah, I I can only think of maybe three that I like. I actively disliked every single one, though I've enjoyed watching. They're a blast. This first title is interesting because I don't think they've done this before. We've got a limited four K release coming and a limited Blu Ray release coming. The four K release is gonna have a slipcover and a black case, and then the Blu Ray release is going to have a red case like they always do. The four k's limited to twelve hundred copies, blu rays limited to five hundred copies, and they're all going to be limited, hand numbered or not hand numbered, but individually numbered like they always are. And this first title is The Blood Rose from nineteen seventy. This is one that they had released previously on DVD, so this is an upgrade for them, going up two separate formats. This is a movie that I need to watch again. It's been a long time, but I remember enjoying it. At least we got a new four K restoration from the original negative. We got an interview with the producer on here, interview with Hubert and George Bauman, interview with the cinematographer and memories of Claude Muloau by Brigitte la Hey, archival interview with d DA Philip Girard French and US trailers, publicity parade of Steel's posters and video sleeves, some radio spots. And then if you buy the limited version you get the slipcover. If you get the four K release, reversible sleeves, set of art cards, full color booklet with writing on the film's production history, and they are numbered copies. The Blood Rows. Have you seen this one.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, none of these I've seen, but looks interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've not seen any of these either, that is for sure. One of these, though, is gonna be really fun to talk about. Yeah, the Devil's about to leave AMC plus, thanks for shouting that out. Good movie. Everybody should see the least one.
Speaker 5: I love The Devil, that movie.
Speaker 2: That movie rocks well. And I don't normally rumor monger on he or anything like that. Rumor is we might finally be hearing about an actual decent physical release of that here pretty soon, so amazing. I sure hope that rumor is is panning out to be true.
Speaker 5: I've actually started watching a lot of Ken Russell movies recently. I first, I don't think I like them, but I really grown on me. He is a very like singular style that, you know what. I respect the fact that he's doing something different. So yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 2: The the flashy fever dream that he pulls off on almost every single movie is always fun and uh yeah, it's a good time. We like hearing the purring though you don't have to mute It's okay.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I didn't want to bother my cat was yelling for me, so I can call my cat and she comes. My cat has one eye, oh and she's old, and so usually at this point of the night she's she's on top of me, and she was confused why I wasn't in my spot, in one of my two spots. So I called her up and she sits on my lap.
Speaker 2: Nice all right. Next up is from Monna Macabre. Still, we got Morbo from nineteen seventy two. They had revealed previously that this was coming. We've got the art here and the reverse of the sleeve. This one is supposedly the Pretty Great. This is a film that a lot of people have been waiting for for a long time. This will be region free. We got a brand new four K restoration from the original negative. You got the English or Spanish audio on this one with the English subtitles profile in the Career of Anna Belan. We got an interview with the Citrus Film Festival director Angel Sala about the film, audio commentary by Rod and Troy from the Nashy cast. And then if you get the limited you get a reversible sleeve with new art by Justin Coffee on the A side and the original ad art on the b set of art cards, full color bookt new writing in the film by Spanish film expert Ishmael Fernandez. And this is going to be limited to a thousand copies, only a thousand. You have you heard about this one before the announcements?
Speaker 5: I don't think there's only one of these I had heard of, and it's not this one?
Speaker 2: Is it the party hat censored one?
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to talk about that one.
Speaker 5: I know a little bit about that movie.
Speaker 2: Next one up is part of their Greek collection. This is number six in that collection. We've got a double feature of Lust in the Swamps and Secret of Sinful Athens. Both of these are from nineteen sixty six. They are going to have on the disc. This is a region free disc. We got a new two K restoration on both from the original negatives Greek language track with the optional English subtitles. Tribute to Zeta Apostolau remembering a Neestis Vlahos ser v leJOS archival interview with the Nestis as well. Greek poster presentation was Jacques spor trailer for Secrets of sinfl Athens, a tribute to Achless Janakis. I guess Greek is maybe the only thing I'm worse than French. We'll see exploitation films of DaCosta carry on sinful Athens publicity parade, and then the limited one will have revers will sleep each highlighting of one of the two films, a set of art cards, full color book that with new writing about the films, and this will be only limited to one thousand as well, like the last one, kind of a low print run. But I get it. The last few things that they've done like this did not sell super well. It took a while to sell out, so this is interesting. Any thoughts on the ease.
Speaker 5: I honestly think it's impressive that they sell a thousand, like you're really like pulling. I think it's because they have a really loyal fan base. Do I bet you they sell five to six hundred almost no matter what. And then let's sort of like managing the rest, because you know, they're a bit of a brand in a vinegar syndrome way, but a much smaller version of it. And I feel that they like are true to what they want to be and it's like you're the into it or you're not. And if you're into it, you're gonna go for it, and if you're not, you know they don't care.
Speaker 2: Move on. That's true. That's true, all right here it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you did center with the party had hilarious.
Speaker 2: So from nineteen eighty nine, and funny enough, I didn't center this. Mondo posted it like this. Mondo posted this cover art. This is Marquis from nineteen eighty nine, and the censoring that you see here precariously placed because under this party hat is a wooden dog and it's it's quite apparent what it is. So this says. Films don't get much wilder than this one. The bizarre French satirical Phantasmagoria Marquis making his US Blu ray debut. Imprisoned in the best Steel for a minor act of blasphemy, the marquee navigates lust, censorship, and the chaos of pre revolutionary France through his wild imagination. He escapes into scandal's tales he writes down on scraps of paper, but the idea of a real escape begins to take shape when his cellmates start planning their breakout to join the revolution movement beyond the bastile walls. This truly astonishing film, loosely based on the life of the notorious Marquis de Sade, is like nothing you've ever seen before. The characters in the story are all animals, dogs, cows, hens, rats, et cetera. But this is not animation. The cast are played by real actors, especially created life sized heads of whichever animal they are portraying. The Marquis is a cheery spaniel, the naive Justine is a heifer, the dominatrix Juliet is a mayor, and the head of the notorious Bestille prison is a sexually rapacious cockrell. And as though that wasn't enough, the Marquis's constant companion of this grim prison cell is his oversized talking penis, which pops out of his trousers told long conversations with them about the state of the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a video store in New York called Kim's Video and they I love the way that they were organized things. And they would organize like it was a decade country director and then some genre. But they also had in their French section just Marquis de Sade. So there was like Justine and what is the other ones that bl Underground put out? There was another one uh, oh yeah, what is it? The philosophy of the boudoirs. But anyway, they had a bunch of different monkeys and they had this I believe it was on VHS and I didn't have a VHS player there, but I remember picking it up, reading the back and being like, is that dog talking to his dick? And that's all I knew about it?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, this is uh, this is special. So this one, by the way, is going to be region free, brand new two K restoration from the original negative on this French audio with optional English subtitles, Audio commentary with the cast and crew, A making a featurette the creation of Marquis Faces Beneath the Masks, a trailer and image gallery, storyboards, telecat video. We've got a reversible sleeve, full color booklet about the film's production history, limited to a thousand, like this is this is the must of must must buys.
Speaker 5: That's amazing, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Cannot wait. This is what was right the film with the talking penis like you can know what you know?
Speaker 5: What's really funny? This is getting a blu ray before quills. Philip Kaufman's two thousand and one Marquis de Sade adaptation is getting a blu ray.
Speaker 2: Take that, Craig. This would have been such a fun deaf crocodile release.
Speaker 5: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: Uh there's a commentary by the dog's penis of cinema farce. That would have been great. Staying in a staying in character for a whole commentary played by a dog's penis. My goodness, Yeah, this is this is incredible all right, So that is Marquis. That's mono reminder all of the we'll be going up for pre order. I did not include the information there. Pre Order for these will be on Thursday May seventh at ten am Pacific and one pm Eastern, so check that out. Set your alarms. Hopefully they don't sell too quick. Speaking of selling too quick, I have a feeling this one is going to go fairly quickly. We've got from New Way Video in Australia. They are doing Takashi Mike's wild breastfeeding movie Visitor Q from two thousand and one. Still kind of amazing. Instagram has let me keep this cover up without censoring it. There's a little bit of nippleage kind of slipping through the visitor Q. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 5: Yes on it. I saw it in the theater. It's the Yes, yeah, I had seen audition and then I believe it came like I was at an Asian film fest. I believe it was like the next day they showed Visitor Q been two thousand and one, right, yep, two and one. Yeah, yeah, the next day this stuff Visit your Cue and I was like, so those are the first two Teshikimiki films that I saw, and I was like, this guy is insane. And then I saw a few more and then I kind of I didn't see it any for a long time. But it's I think it's shot on MiniDV too, is it not?
Speaker 2: It is, Yeah, this is not going to be like truly high definition.
Speaker 5: It's to be honest, if you're going to do a mini DV film, you might as well just make it blu ray. Like that's as best as it's gonna look. It's never gonna look better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is a brand new transfer from the original master tape. They have cleaned this up. Speaking of this playing in a theater, I will say this has not been illegally allowed to be shown in a theater in the US for over twenty years. At this point, the rights have not been allowed to play here, but I can say we might be talking about this playing in theaters again here soon. We'll we'll, we'll bring that up again soon. On this disc we got a new interview with Takashi Mike. We got a new video introduction by filmmaker and story and Andrew lev Old. We had a new descent into digital hell Visitor Q then and now in appreciation h my friend mister Ron Peterson Han new Distorted Disturbance, the Radical Digital Aesthetics of Viser Q, visual essay by Joe Hike and Bottom. And then we've got a booklet with new essays by Amber Key, Michelle Kisner. New slipcover artwork which is really great on this by Sean Longmore. The inner art is really great. To New Way Video, John, just bravo. You're doing incredible work. Proud to be associated with you in any way. You are crushing it out there. Cannot wait to show the world what the rest of this year's releases are gonna be from you. You are doing very very good. Gary is asking his New Way Video going to do love exposure soon? Yes, yes they are, and it is the complete version that's still never been released. It is longer than any version that you've seen out there legally yet, and it will be coming later this year.
Speaker 5: That's when it's like four hours, right.
Speaker 2: Even longer. Oh yes, stay tuned for that. We'll be hearing about that soon. Next up, we got some indicator announcements. We've got July twentieth in the UK, July twenty first in the USA, Blu Ray coming a Full House from nineteen fifty two. And this is not your uncle Jesse's Full House. This is Michael Simon as May Gray. We've got Raymond Rouleau as when we've got some problem streaming to twitch. Oh no, something happened. That's all right, we'll survive on this disc. We've got a four K restoration from the original nitrate negative. We got original mono audio. We got Michael Simon from nineteen sixty four Old Rouse Award winning short film Portrait of the Great French Actor Image Gallery. We've got a limited edition exclusive booklet new Essay by Eric Smouten, archival profiles of the director and writers. And then we've got this is the first time it's been on Blu Ray in the US, so be limited to four thousand copies. I've not seen any of these French sort of thrillers. Is this your sort of genre?
Speaker 5: I actually do like these movies. I haven't seen Full House, but they made an of them, Like you know, it's a French who coined the film noir stuff and they kind of like ripped it off a bit later and did their own thing. And this one, I don't know. The Belmondo ones are really the ones I like more. They just sort of have like they're very much like a film noir but very French. I don't know if that really if you can really circle that square. But they're they're fun, they're good, they're interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I indicator.
Speaker 5: Indicator almost always delivers as well. Like there's another company that's rare that you go, yeah, that wasn't very good or very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree, And not to mention they pretty much always crush it on special features. They are really great on that side. All right. Next up, we've got same dates, same territories Stavisky from nineteen seventy four. This one looks just as great. Another one that people have been kind of clamoring for for quite some time. This is gonna have a four K restoration from the original negative The Guardian interview with actually that's not that's from nineteen eighty two. Got it anyways, all kinds of archival stuff that they found and threw on here. Limited edition exclusive booklet with contemporary production reports by Jonathan Rosenbaum, an analysis of Stephen Sondheim's score, an overview of critical responses, and film credits. So nothing new on this disc, which is interesting. Kind of surprised.
Speaker 5: I've heard of this movie before. I haven't seen it, but I actually heard it's a very good movie.
Speaker 2: I had as well. This is I think one of the two that I had heard of in this batch, the last one being this one. La Travesty La Travis de la Traviste. Yeah, this is nineteen eighty eight and again same dates, same territories, all that fun stuff. Any thoughts on this one. I feel like you've probably seen this one.
Speaker 5: I have seen this one also, this I mean, you just kind of announced after I had came back from my laser cave, so I have this on laser disc. They got released in Japan, which does mean you either need to you need to do a thing where you can, and the Japanese subtitles into English with your Google phone or are your phone. We'll have a wife that speaks French and willing to translate it with you. Luckily, one of those two things where it's well for me. And we watched this movie during the pandemic. It's good. It's a very good movie.
Speaker 2: This one has a visual essay by Alexander Heller Nicholas on this exploring the film's themes of gender and power. And we've got a new booklet on here with a new essay by Georgia Humphries, excerpts from the film's press kit and an overview of critical responses, so that visual essay is the only new thing on this one as well. So kind of light on new stuff, but all kinds of archival stuff. Not too bad. And honestly shout out to Hilton, this is absolutely true. Would be surprised if Keno doesn't release all three of these at some point or no, I forgot this is a US release as well, So yeah, indicators got both, so Keino will likely not put these out ever.
Speaker 5: Well, I would suggest anybody interested this is of the three, this is the one that I would say pick up nice. If you're only gonna get.
Speaker 2: One, hey, you may have heard of this film before. Evil Dead Too coming to Blu Ray in Hungary in May from a brand new boutique distributor called Gehenna Films. They are putting this out and there's going to be English audio on the disc as well, of course, because it's an English film. But I don't normally cover films unless they're English friendly. The bonus features on this disc are not going to be English friendly unless they are in English already. They are going to have Hungarian subtitles and those might be burned in not sure though. We've got two different options here. Both of these are digibooks. We've got exclusive artwork by a very famous Hungarian artist on the first one and then the original Graham Humphrey's art on the second one. Now the hard part here. Even though these will be region free releases, these are only allowed to be sold in a few European countries outside of Hungary, like the Czech Republic, Greece, Slovakia, Romania, Slovenia or Croatia. But some third party retailers and some amazons might pick these up at some point. So if you're like a diehard Evil Dead collector, you might want to keep an eye on this one. However, this might be a little more difficult to pick up at some point. Do we have an Evil Dead two laser disc?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean again, this is all after I left the laser Cave, but when you want to speak of like things that are difficult to pick up, So the Evil Dead laser disc Evil Dead Too got released by Elite and if you see this big pipehypesticker, it says blood red laser disc. So this was one of the only laser discs that was ever released blood red.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that's pretty red.
Speaker 5: But you know what's crazy about this is that you have to remember not every laserst player is but the same and a lot of people had lasers players that were all the way back.
Speaker 9: From like nineteen seventy eight. So they got this thing and they released it, and they got endless complaints that it wouldn't play, So then they released it on a standard I have that one too, but that's the blood red one.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 5: I was going to show that later in an oddity of laserness, but when that announcement came up, I was like, you know what, why not?
Speaker 2: That's super cool? All right? So that was the Evil Dead Hungarian release that I got announced. Eureka happened to announce today, which, by the way, the weird timing the end of the month, which means we're getting Aero announcements tomorrow. A lot of those have leaked already, but Willed is not going to talk about the Aero announcements next week, so sorry Will So. Eureka. July twentieth, we were getting a Blu ray in the UK as part of their Masters of Cinema collection of Laurel and Hardy the Silent Years from nineteen twenty nine. This set contains liberty You're wrong again, that's my wife, big business, unaccustomed as we are, the silent version, double Whoopee, Birthmarks, Silent vers and Bacon Grabbers, and a Gora Love Silent version. This is a wild looking set. Eureka has been doing great stuff on these Laurel and Hardy stuff and it is a very solid looking set. This is going to have an O card with a slipcase featuring new artwork by Scott Saslow, which Scott was just on the show and I forgot. I need to email him as soon as I get off of the show tonight. We got a book of new writing sorry, newly written notes on each film by writer and comedian Paul Merton, and a new essay on frequent Laurel and Hardy collaborator James Finlayson by Silent cinema expert Chris Grosvener. I just ruined all of those names, so sorry. We've got ten eighty HD presentations on Blu Ray from two K restorations by Blackhawk Films. We've got scores all over this. We've got new commentaries by a handful of individuals. There's lots of stuff on here. New doc by David Karen's and Fiona Watson, alternate music scores, lots of stuff Laurel and Hardy. I imagine you're likely a fan of Laurel and Hardy.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I love them. Some of my kids so big business crushes with the kids. It's basically about Laurel and Hardy. They try to sell Christmas trees in the summer and it does not go well. I've been waiting for them to release the Music Box. Anybody who has small children and wants to try to get them to watch something classic. It's on YouTube. It looks great on YouTube. The music Box is twenty two minutes of amazing, just simple comedy. These two guys try to haul a piano up a flight of stairs, and that's basically the whole thing. But I my kids love that thing. I showed it to him so many times.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I'm just laughing because a moment ago, when I got noticed that my Twitch account it was having trouble streaming there. I just got an email saying my Twitch account has been suspended, and I think it was because of the visitor cue cover whoops, too much nipple, which is hilarious. Because I'm still up on YouTube.
Speaker 5: I have two things I got to try to remember to slightly censer for you when we get later in the day. Oh no, oh, not terrible, but does I just realized that after you said that I'm a visit a q nipple thing, I hadn't thought about it beforehand.
Speaker 2: Understandable, all right. Next up is same date we got July twentieth. In the UK, We've got Beast Unleashed. This is from nineteen fifty five nineteen fifty six. This is from the Eureka Classics line. This is the Beast with the Million Eyes and the Beast of Hollow Mountain, two of the most entertaining films among them, presented together in the spirit of their science fiction double features from the nineteen fifties. This is going to have a limited edition booklet with new writing by the genre film expert Christopher Stewartson that will be on special effects artist Paul Blasdel and The Beast with the Million Eyes and a new essay by film journalist Sean McGee on Weird Westerns and The Beast of Hollow Mountain. Reversible sleeve. We've got terre from Beyond the Star's new interview with the science fiction expert Mark Bold on The Beast with the Million Eyes an alien invasion cinema on the fifties. New interview with the critic Kim Newman on The Beast of Hollow Mountain and the surgeons of dinosaur films in the fifties. Any thoughts on this era of film, Brian, This.
Speaker 5: Is something I really don't know much about. Like I'm always interested in learning more, but these are Excuse me, the fifties monster movies are. I never watched them when I was young, and I haven't watched many since then. The only ones I know some of the Ray Harry Howsen stuff, but that's like sort of where my knowledge sort of falls apart.
Speaker 2: See that's about it for me. I've never dove deep into many of these other ones. No next up though, one that I am I'm kind of excited about. We've got July twentieth, the Blu Ray coming in the UK from Eureka from their Masters of Cinema line of into the Forest folk Tales at DIFA, which might sound sort of familiar to you because Brian held up earlier the Deaf Crocodile release of Difa fairy Tales that we just put out through Deaf Crocodile that has five films in there, but there's only a couple that are going to be crossing over, or maybe it's three. I think it's three that are crossing over, or no, it's only two that are crossing over in this Eureka set. And so there's kind of a lot of reason to pick up both if you're into this era and folk tales and all this fun stuff. Because I hope Craig is okay with me saying, because I believe he's already said it on the podcast, there's not, as far as I'm aware of, plan to do any of these other ones by Deaf Crocodile anytime soon. And just for the record, Eureka Deaf Crocodile did not plan this together. Deaf Crocodile didn't know that Eureka was doing this until they announced it. It was not worked on at the same time. So this Eureka set is going to have The Devil from Mill Mountain, The Singing Ringing Tree, Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, and The Devil's Three Golden Hairs. This is going to be a limited box set. It is going to be limited to two thousand copies, limited sixty page book with a new essay by Sebastian Hi to check. New notes on each film in the set by Sonia Frezia Keen and Elizabeth Ward, plus the Brothers Grim stories that inspired The Singing Ringing Tree, rumpel Stiltskin, Literal d Riding Hood of the Devil's Three Golden Hairs. All five films that will be from DEFA Restorations. We've got the original German soundtracks, optional English soundtracks for The Singing Ringing Tree and The Devil's Three Golden Hairs. We've got optional English subtitles, brand new translations on those. New commentary on the Devil from Mill Mountain by Michael Brooke, New commentary on rupel stiltskined by Sam Goff, Fairy Tales The Nightmares, New interview with Bob Fisher, We've got Defa in the Devil, New visual essay on the depiction of the Devil, and folk tales from the Brothers Grim to Difa by Mary Going. The Magic Scissors, a short silhouette animation. We've got Sleeping Beauty was a Beautiful Child, another short that was a puppet animation, and then we've got the Wolf of the Seven Little Goats from nineteen ninety and that is a short cutout animation. This sounds really cool.
Speaker 5: I'm going this is like, you know, the Deefa stuff is one of those things that I had heard about a lot, mostly just like in random film books, but like everything was more or less unaccessible, and I think there was a big DVD set that was released, maybe like I don't know, like fifteen years ago, maybe more, probably more, maybe more. And I had seen a couple of them, but I the one that I had seen were more like uh, like policy Atacchi, but like the German version, I think there's a name for them, Yeah, creamies. I had seen a couple of Crimis. Uh, they were good. I like them. But I'm really looking forward to I'm kind of amassing a bunch of DEFA movie and I want to try to do it all in like a big sit down, go through and I just got to be a book or something about this too that you can like watch along with. Yeah, I don't know what. I don't have it, but I'm sure it's just somewhere that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. DEFA has done a lot of stuff. First off, tons of movies. Yeah, so many movies.
Speaker 5: A ton ton tons they were I mean they were releasing it for captive audience. It's just like well like Hong Kong was making a ton of movie. Well that's his life. But they have their own I guess Quebec, like Quebec makes all these movies because they're making them for themselves, so they know they have a built in audience and they're all going, So you can make a movie for six hundred thousand dollars and make money because you know you're gonna get that many people to go see it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's coming through my sound, but I did want to say we are in the middle of a giant hill storm outside, so that got good good. That makes for a good microphone.
Speaker 5: Then also I'm a sound mixer. I can't hear anything.
Speaker 2: That was it for this week. I do have a few things that I did not get to post, so I'll be sharing those are the next twenty four hours, but coming out next week. In case you forgot incredible four K release of Interspace from Arrow. We got Moneyball four K coming from the studio. In that one, all of the Vinegar Syndrome stuff is going to be shipping, of course. Soldier four K with Kurt Russell from Arrow. We've got Throw Mama from the Train four K from Keno, The John Singleton Hood Trilogy for k K from Criterion Private Benjamin finally on Blu Ray from Warner Archive. Something's got to Give coming to Blu Ray. We've got The Grapes of Death four K from Indicator, A Living Dead Girl four K from Indicator, Conquest four K from Cauldron finally shipping, Tiger on the Beat one and two four K from shout Dust blenty four K from Lionsgate, Captain's Courageous from Warner archive. We've got star Dust four K getting re released, getting set from seven is shipping Abbott and Costello. Hold that Ghost four K from Keno, The Can from seven. We've got Highest to Lowest from A twenty four coming out next week on four K. Aerosmith from Wurner Archive. George Stevens, a Filmmaker's Journey, the newest four K from Warner Archive is coming out next week. King Richard and the Crusad from on Archive, Voices from Beyond four K, the Fulchy film coming from seven. We've got twenty thousand Years and Singh Sing from one archive, crack Up from one archive. We've got Cold Storage four K coming from Goldwyn Meyer next week. The Man who Reclaimed his head from Keino that adventure Cars Adventure calls Carl may at CCC from Eureka. Jack the Ripper four K from Cauldron, which I will, you know, very cautiously optimistically recommend as a wonderful entry into Jess Franco. Also some self promotion, since Will and I are on the commentary on now One. Check it out So Young, So Lovely, So Vicious from RaRo Video. We've got Nightlife from Keno, Larber Patchwork four K shipping from terror Vision this week, which heads up that they did put out another update today that Gator Bait should be very soon. Their last couple of box sets that they were waiting on is all about to be shipping in the next I think one should be ready next week, one the following week, and then hopefully Gator Bait the week after that, which it's finally time only a year after it was announced, which is wild. We got Student Confidential shipping from Severn. The Nashville Standard Edition from Paramount is shipping as well. That Monogram Mattine Volume two from Warner Archive of shipping. There's some nipples I need to hide. Creep tapes season two from Shutter. Let's see North See is Death Sea from Severn. Hunters of the Golden Cobra from Severn. That is the bulk of it, though. What are you after? Next week? Is Innerspace, a movie near and dear to your Heart.
Speaker 5: I like Inner Space. I think I pre ordered it from Amazon, I from Arrow, but I don't definitely remember. I have a laser disc That's why I saw it last. I also really like Private Benjamin. I don't know if other than the Vinegar syndrome stuff. I don't think there's a ton on there that I was like crazy after, but there's a lot of interesting things that again I just sort of have to. I'm managing my managing, managing my spending a little bit better these days.
Speaker 2: Understandable, understandable. Silent mandible wants to know when is the last group of Vineger syndrome drop shipping. I got mine, so now I.
Speaker 5: Don't think I even got mine, although I don't know if that's indicative of anything.
Speaker 2: I got mine two or three days ago.
Speaker 5: I think, Uh yeah, I only pick of my mail once a week.
Speaker 2: So understandable. All right, So now deep dive into laser discs. We're gonna talk about all kinds of stuff, including ironic thrillers. We're going to talk about some of the rare ones. Where do you want to start? You want to you want to start why laser discs were important or why they were sought after?
Speaker 5: Uh? Sure? I mean is there any did you did you call any like questions that people want before I get like going or a ry.
Speaker 2: No, let's dive into that for well, and maybe first of all, just what is a laser disc? For those that have never actually held one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good. So a laser disc is the same size as the record, so it's twelve inches, and it's the same technology behind it is what's on a CD, so it's etched a small piece of metal smashed between two platters. But the great thing to me about a laser disc, more than anything else, is it's the last analog format. So while it's read by a laser, it's the last video analog format that existed. It's four eighty I, but you can actually blow it up pretty good to four K. I mean, within reason. It doesn't look like a four K, but I've used a lot of fancy players and scalers and I make it look decent. But the sound, after a certain period of time becomes digital, so it's CD quality sound with an analog video, and it makes it for a very like specific feel. It's not really it doesn't look at all like the VHS, which I think looked like crap. I don't actually quite understand the VHS thing. I mean, if it's the only way you can see them, would be great. But VHS is two forty I, so this is double the resolution of that, and they were made for a really long time the first one was Jaws, made in nineteen seventy eight, and the last one, at least the last English one, was The Cell released in Japan, made in two thousand and one. So that's an incredible, incredible span and an incredible breadth of cinema that entered and exited through laser disc.
Speaker 2: Really really interesting time, and there's a lot of these things that laser disc are the only place to get, not just films but special features. Obviously, this is the first time that we were able to get audio commentaries for Criterion, Lots of stuff that we can dive in on that. What next, What is the best way that you want to sell the lasers story?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think I think if you want to like talk about the format and like what makes it special, I think the thing to think about is going back to that breadth and scope. So from seventy eight to two thousand and one, it's an incredible amount of time, I mean, twenty three years, and as far as what gets released on laser disc, it's pretty incredible. So the early stuff, the very very early stuff people collect that to me, it's not super super interesting. But you start around nineteen eighty two and in the US. It really ends in two thousand and you get like anything and everything. I mean, they release silent movies, documentaries, they release action movies, they release classic movies, they release comedies, they release tons of stuff. And eventually we'll get into what they kind of only released on laser disc, which is not only but they the best quality of it is on laser disc, which is erotic thrillers and why that is true. But from there, you know, in the eighties, it sort of starts out and it's just like, you know, laser disc is competing with Beta, which is competing with VHS, and Beta loses because they won't do porn, and VHS is like poor me up, bro, and then laser just sort of sees this and I was like this porn idea, and so they start to do porn movies as well, so you know, they keep along that and you know, you can track porn through laser disc almost up to the end. But whatever, that's a whole nother side topic. But you know, so they have this niche market and it's people that want really the highest quality possible, and they want and the breadth of movies possible. So as you know, Beta loses and everybody's like VHS looks like crap. They're like, oh yeah, but I have like this high quality system. I want to be able to make something looks nice. They get a laser disc player, and lasers are expensive when they first come out, Like you know, the Criterion edition of You're saying King Kong with the first commentary, it's like one hundred bucks, one hundred bucks of nineteen eighty dollars, which is like what two hundred and fifty dollars, So if you're talking about like, oh Man, twenty six dollars is expensive for a deaf rocketile release, like two hundred and fifty bucks for King Kong. It's crazy pants. But you know, they're the collector's market and their niche here. But along with all of that, there's a kind of a crazy thing that happens is that as the mid eighties progresses into the latedies into the nineties, the Asian economic miracle happens, and Japan, Hong Kong, they boom. Money is just coming in like crazy. And in Japan they love karaoke, and what's a great way to do karaoke lasers. Now they have a laser dis player and turns out, what else are they like? Movies? So they are selling movies hand over a fist, Like I can't get pressing numbers on everything, but I know the minimum pressing on a Lasiers has to be five hundred, and I think most things get pressed about a thousand. In Japan, there are like twenty thousand copies of Showgirls on laser disc. Like it's just massive, massive, massive, massive. And the breadth of movies that they're releasing in Japan is just astounding. They're releasing French films, Japanese films, American films, and you can just find all this other stuff. And now when you get back to the States, you know, along with your Hollywood movies and whatever, laser discs are also kind of entering a niche video store realm, and what niche video stores want and porn, and along with porn is like things that aren't quite porn. So it's the erotic thriller. So erotic thrillers start getting released like crazy on laser disc, and you know, we can talk a little bit, well, we'll talk a little bit more about erotic thrillers in general, but what's interesting to me about them is they're basically the nineties version of a film noir. They roughly like roughly hew them. They would start like with Fatal Attraction and end with Showgirls. That's like the Hollywood aspect of them. The DTV direct to video ones really start with like Night Eyes, which is in nineteen ninety, and it ends, you know, I mean, it doesn't really end for a long time. It doesn't end to like the mid two the early two thousands, but those are really junkie. It kind of dies around the same time Showgirls dies. It really dies when the Internet comes in. It does ninety eight, ninety nine. But they make five hundred of them, just like they make five hundred film noirs, and their plots are very similar to a film noir, except it's twisted. So in a film noir, you'll have a man that's undone by like one of his actions are oh, an action of a femme fatale. Here, it's really all about the woman and what she wants and how her life gets upended by her like search for fulfillment. And there are a lot of interesting things that are written about it. In fact, there's only three books. I could show them if you really want, but there's only three books written about around it thrillers. All three of them are interesting and they sort of the best one. Ruth Dan Williams. Ruth Williams. She makes this sort of the point that erotic thrillers are a lot like musicals. Like MGM musicals, they have like these overall structures that then get interrupted by dance numbers, except these dance numbers are sex scenes. So you have this structure of like a woman searching for fulfillment, but then it gets interrupted as she you know, I sech with a bunch of people. So that's what I like about that. And in laser disc in general, you can just find all kinds of stuff. Like when I would go around and just buy whatever came up, you would never know like what some of this things, these things are, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, yeah, it's a it's an interesting period and there are lots of these movies that now can literally only be got on later.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So so let's so how you make a laser disc. So a laser disc needs so if all these all these erotic thrillers are shot in film, So they're shot on film, but it's this era where they're editing on tape and the way that they edit it on tape, and I'm not one hundred percent perfect on the exact technical thing is they're more or less like striping it with time code. They're cutting it linearly, and then they sort of do it conform. They don't cut the negative, but they do a conform to the negative, and they do that conform and then they bring it on into a version of a telesiny. The telegienity turns it into a positive, and then they put it on a tape. And the tape they put it on is called a D two master tape, and the quality of a D two master tape is, you know, basically the same as a laser disc. So if you get something that's struck from a D two master tape of an erotic thriller and you get it on laser disc, that's basically the same. And then when they released it on DVD, you're like, oh, well, that's for ADP or whatever, but it's not. It's basically the exact same and it's just compressed, and the DVD compression is not that great, so it really if you have a nice quality of the l it's never really going to look any better. And I'm not positive, but my deeply held belief is all of these negatives are in the trash. They're all gone, because what would happen is that company that did the video editing, offline video editing, they would store the negatives at a lab, and that company has gone out of business. That lab has gone out of business, and if you didn't come and claim your negatives, they all went in the dumpsticks straight the trash. So they're all gone. I mean, you might find one or two here there, but and there are a couple that got to release. There's one I'll get to eventually that I know got to release in a few places, which means they cut the negative. So if they cut the negative, that means it's a print somewhere. And if there's a print somewhere, you can maybe make a blu ray out of it. But these are basically all gone. This is just all forgotten media.
Speaker 2: Well, not only films, not only special features. There's also a lot of laser discs with cuts that are exclusive to the laser disc release that are not on other releases. And you've actually been kind of solicited from some of these boutique labels to supply some laser discs to be used for some of their releases. Yeah, share, share some of what you've been able to help provide to people, what you've been solicited for stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me grab those out because we're going to go out of That's good, I mean.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I have provided releases. Oops, I don't know that wasn't already. You did have my proper order. I just didn't remember. So I have. I have like made scans for a handful of people. And one time this guy who really wouldn't identify himself came over and was like, I want a scan of this this New York Chinatown. And he only knew that I had it because I'm the only one in the world that has it. And he was like, Oh, I need this scan for a Blu ray I'm doing. I can't tell you what it's for or anything. I was like, whatever, I don't care. So I made a scan and then that eventually got released and cut in to this vinegar syndrome release of these Hong Kong fine too, this New York Chinatown. So that's my laser disc. Whenever they talk about the laser disc they're printing for it. And then for you and the terror Vision folks. I scan Gator Bait two. I scanned, I ripped Gator Bait two, which is actually a rough movie but quite fun and I can't believe you guys found a negative for it. I'm pretty excited to see that. I'm not gonna lie because it is. It is a dirty movie, but it is a hilarious movie.
Speaker 2: I still can't believe that we got the German VHS that's longer than anything else than any of us have ever seen, which is wild. And the footage is not like it's not great in additional footage, but the fact that we have it is just truly incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the whole idea. Is you kind of archived the whole release of these things.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: And as far as like things that don't exist anywhere else here, I have a few cool things. So this this I just like a lot. I mean, I've seen it a couple of times. It is called Hollywood a Celebration of the American Silent Film, and you're like, oh, whatever, this big box set of early silent film documentary, So that can't be that interesting. But this was an early made for HBO documentary and all these images and all the films they don't have the rights for anywhere else, so you can find this on YouTube, but this is the own that there's a VHS, but this in the VHS is the only release that'll ever be as the physical media, and this basically chronicles from the birth of cinema all the way till will Sound comes in and it's it's crazy, it's beautiful. It's like Kevin Barlow or Brownlow did it, and it's I think it's like twelve hours. It's really long.
Speaker 2: So that's ours, damn.
Speaker 5: So that's pretty cool. And then some things more people might know, so dumb and dumber. The only way to see the original version and wide screen is on this laser disc because for whatever reason, they only release this, not even director's cut. It's like the TV cut and they release it all the time, and I don't really know why, because the original one is so much better. And if you look at the what they do in the TV cuts last director cut is they make them so much meaner and by the end you don't really like them as not so much fun and then a little more esoterically, maybe not too crazy. The Wizard of Speed and Time is kind of this crazy kind of cult movie. And that's the US laser disc and that's pretty cool. But what's really crazy is the Japanese one is about nine minutes longer. And this is the only way to see this geez.
Speaker 2: And this is cover too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this goes for a stupid amount of money.
Speaker 2: Well is it time to talk about that? For what most modern sales for laser disc go for, like what the rare ones get and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: What are rare ones get? So you know, if you're talking about like a normal laser disc these days, you sell them for like five bucks, maybe less like three bucks. Like if you want to watch like Jade, like Jade on lazerness, like five bucks. Something like The Wizard of Speeding Time on that Japanese one is like three hundred dollars at least.
Speaker 2: Geez.
Speaker 5: And then if you want to talk about something really crazy, I'll drop a few. I didn't bring the big big one. Actually, I'll tell you a few more so, like something like somebody mentioned the Matrix. So most I don't care about unopened media, and I especially don't care about open laser disc with the exception of super popular movies that are unopened are starting to fetch crazy prices, so the Matrix. I sold an unopened copy that I bought for three dollars almost instantly locally for six hundred bucks cash, and I probably undersold it. I'm pretty sure if I had it today, I could sell it for nine hundred. What it's it's because people are starting to grade them like comic books and put them on slaves, but only super popular movies that are unopened. I had an unopened Fight Club, which is a rare Japanese one, that I sold for like three point fifty, and I'm pretty sure the same guy put it on eBay for seven and I don't know if it's still there, but he'll probably sell it. So that's that. And then the really really really late stuff like Arnold's the Sixth Man, Sixth Day, Sixth Day, or the sell which are the stuff that's released right at the end, are like multiple thousands of dollars apiece, and if you can find one and you're not gonna you're not gonna here's the thing, You're not gonna find it, So it doesn't matter that it's worth a lot of money, you're just not gonna come across it. I'm pretty sure that they just didn't sell many of them, and then the the stores returned them and they went in the dump because something like the cell. I think the known copies are like thirty four of them, so that's probably like about how many sold.
Speaker 2: Jeez, that is just insanity.
Speaker 5: And then uh uh what dice k that's the guy. That's the guy who likes Criterion right yep, so I was during the pandemic. I was like streaming dice Gase videos in the background. What a soothing, lovely gentleman he seems to be. And at one point he was like, oh, this, this and this, and then it's like, this was the hardest thing to get in my collection, and it's this it's the Prince of Tides, And you're like, Prince of Tides, Why is this the hardest thing to get in your collection? Well, it's because it's the Prince of Tides and the Prince of Tides one nine. Criterion printed them, had them all ready to go, and then Barbara streisand pulled them, either because she didn't like the essay because when it got re released it's a different essay or something she said on the commentary. She didn't like the way it got edited together, and I'm not one hundred percent sure why, but this one has a slightly different commentary and a slightly different essay on the back, a slightly different cover, and they were never officially released, so you'd have to get them from Basically, the story goes is about one hundred of them slipped out because the Criterion gave them away at their Christmas party, and then a few days later she decided she didn't want to release it and she pulled them all, so that one was a little harder to track down nikes.
Speaker 2: Anyone wants to know if you ever got to HD LaserDisc Muse, do you know what that is?
Speaker 5: I do so. Muse is a format that's ten thirty five I. It was only released in Japan. You need a special decoder in order to get it. They released about fifty movies and they also released about fifty background videos of fish, so you can watch fish in glorious HD. I have like seven of them. For a while, you could pick them up at semi reasonable prices, but they're pretty crazy. I do have Back to the Future, which is pretty cool, and I have I told a couple of them. I'll be honest, it's a lot of work to get it to come out. And it's it's cool ish. I would say, oh, I have close encounters and I have et It's just it's just a lot of work to get it to come out. I think if you like really dedicate yourself to like that's the thing you want to do, that's fine. But also because of the way the format is, the subtitles are always in the picture, even if even if it's like two three five. So I just sort of it just got expensive and I fell out of it. For me, it was more more niche than I even am. But it's a good question.
Speaker 2: Niche.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty niche.
Speaker 2: So seventeen thousand laser discs, there are many that you and I have talked about that you are literally like the only known owner of a film on a laser disc. Tell us about some of those.
Speaker 5: The only known owner ones. Okay, well, I know I brought one more that I know. So I was going to talk about this a little bit more in the Erotic through all the time, but I do it now. So there was a DVD release somewhat recently by the Cinemax thing of Ultimate Taboo, and then people were complaining like, oh, what is this Ultimate Taboo. It's like it's all cut and it's all weird, there's no ultimate whatever. Well, this is an Indonesian laser disc and it is longer by about six minutes than the DVD release because this is not the Cinemax cut. This is like the original cut that they again pre sold to pre sold to foreign markets. And actually this movie is pretty interesting. It's directed by Paul Thomas, not Paul Thomas Anderson, but but Paul Thomas. He was a porn actor and director, but he also made a bunch of softcore movies. But what's more interesting is it's written by Penny Anti, who's like, uh, sort of a feminist writer critic and and really weirdly, it stars well Kim Dawson did it, but also the woman who's in now I'm blank, and of course the one who does a workout of video terror vision did it.
Speaker 2: Yep, Lena, quickly, I think that's it.
Speaker 5: I believe it. Now I'm gonna make sure. But the other the other woman who's in it basically plays her job in the movie for absolutely no reason, is a clown for children's birthday parties. So every now and then she comes back from work or she's going to work and she's dressed up as a clown. I don't know, but it's actually quite it's quite decent for what it is. I like that one. I'll give it. I give it a pretty high readon. That's like, that's the only one those that exist as far as known. Same thing with the Hong Kong Chinatown.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you got this one. Eddie wants to know if you've got Dragons Layer Dragons.
Speaker 5: Let you mean those are the games, right? So Laser just also made games, so they made like early computer video games. I have gotten them and I have sold them all because I don't really play any video games, and anytime I get a video game one, it just goes right out. So I have gotten it twice actually, and I have sold it both times.
Speaker 2: I feel like I want to track down a copy just to have for the Don Bluth collection. Is there? Wait?
Speaker 5: Did is there? He animates something over.
Speaker 2: That he did? Yeah, he did most of the In fact, I think he did like all of the animation, or his studio did something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So yeah, they exist. They're really expensive now of course, some of those games sell for about a thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ. Never mind, I don't need to find it.
Speaker 5: Think. I think the dragons Layer one goes like more than two hundred dish. I don't know, but I haven't sawd him in a long time.
Speaker 2: All right, not as bad, but still bad. Okay, erotic thrillers? Why why is the laser disc era so important? And tell us about it? Because gosh this we have talked about erotic thrillers on laser discs for countless hours together.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Sorry, I'm gonna skip some stuff. I had a whole thing, but I am going too long, so let me really get going. Okay. So yeah, so like erotic thrillers for the DTV market, they really started nineteen ninety with Night Eyes. And Night Eyes is directed by jag Mundra, who you might recognize from Hacker Lantern and he comes up with this movie. And what's important is it has Andrew Stevens and Tanya Roberts, who wasn't that seventies show I think, right? Yeah, yeah, so this is the first one. This thing is made for like a million bucks and makes like thirty million dollars, never gets a theatrical release. It just makes thirty million dollars selling VHS's laser disc rentals pay per views, and so it storre starts a rush, and then like a year later after that made someone I think it's a year youg and a half later they basically make the exact same movie, call it Night Eyes two. But now we have Shannon Tweed, and I mean Shannon Tweet is in a few movies before this, but now we have Shannon Tweed doing this, and then if that's not good enough, they'll just make it again Night Eyes three, and now it's Tweed and her sister. Her sister plays the other one, Tracy Tweed, and this is and Andrew Stevens starts directing these. So now Andrew Stevens directs this, and then a few years later, try one last time. We have Night Eyes four. I only have this Singapore release which is slightly cut, but whatever, and they do it one more time. And if you think, oh this Andrew Stevens guy, he is like a B actor. He becomes a bit of a B director and a producer. But then he gets involved in I'm going to say his name wrong something gallery or gallery or whatever. But he ended up working with this company that sort of makes vanity projects in Hollywood, like The Whole Nine Yards. Do you remember that that's basically a Hollywood vanity project that he helped produce. And his mom was a famous be actress as well, so she's around for a long time. So anyways, he's sort of a peripheral Hollywood player and he wrote a book about the business of making movies, and he still like gives lectures about making money in Hollywood and all this stuff. But he's one of those guys that really cashed in on the whole thing. And he's fine. He's an okay actor. But I al would say, if you were going to get started, Night Eyes is a pretty good way to get started. It basically like it's super simple. It has all the tropes, but like Andrew Stevens runs a company that does security systems, he sets one up for a rich guy. The rich guy has a hot wife, and then he ends up sleeping with the hot wife. And it's the same movie.
Speaker 2: Every single time, as one does.
Speaker 5: But there's a lot of there's a lot of interesting things that are happening within it, but it's the same movie. And then of course you have Shannon tweeted there's a whole ton of these. Uh, and this one I really like a lot called Scorned and Scorned. Basically Shannon Tweed's husband commits suicide because his boss is a jerk. So she becomes like the nanny for that family and very hand that Rocks the Cradle style. At first, she seduces them and then tries to kill them all. So, if you liked Hand the Rock the Cradle, but you really wanted more sex boom, Scorned hand it Yeah, yeah, Hand the Rock.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 5: And then if you thought it was good the first time, I don't worry. They made it again Scorned too. It's at this time. Uh, this time it's a professor and as a student, But it's basically the same movie and they're both actually quite good. Another weird Laser Disc only thing is this movie Crush Crush. So the Crush is Lisia Silverstone and Oh Carrie Always. And the thing that makes this only available on laser disc is it says from the moment the fourteen year old Darien met Nick Well in the movie, they say her name all the time. It's Darien, Darry and Dari and Darien Well. She was quite upset about this, and she sued them and said, you don't have the rights to use my name in this because based on a true story, and she won. So every release after this Laser disc her name is Adrian And all they did is dub over Darien with Adrian. It doesn't really change the movie, does it. But it's kind of interesting interesting. And then if you really want to get into the the erotic earlier, there's there's really only one person to look at. Like I say, you watch a little tweet, you watch night Eyes, and then almost nothing else matters. You just want to Gregory Dark because what Gregory Dark does fucking fucks like he is. He is the Kubrick of these and to an extent that is so impressive and you like can't even imagine it. So he was bumming around La he likes, shoots some music videos here and there. He gets a job editing a sort of a documentary about porn, and he's like, what is this? I could do better? And he starts. He makes a few movies here, he makes a few movies there. He's getting better. His early ones are okay, and then he comes across and he makes Secret Games. And Secret Games is Jade. It's Jade, except the woman is really enjoying it. So basically like this woman she's a board housewife and she decides to become a high class call girl and then all this stuff or whatever ensues. What's also kind of amazing is her husband is Billy Drago, if you like a little b movie reference. He is very much a dick in this movie. But that movie is great. And what great Dark does so much better than everybody else is he really leans in to the erotic part of the erotic thriller without just making it like Paul Thomas about the sex scenes. So he takes these plots that are like very film noirri or very much like a Hollywood movie, and then he really ups the sex and he films it in a way that is like at least heteronormatively, like visually pleasurable, Like it's meant to look good. It's not like it's not meant to be fumbling or it's not meant to be like Henry in June when like you know, they go to the bordella and just sort of like this is this does not work, none of his themes A I sort of liked that they lean in and they go for it, and then of course after he makes the first one, you gotta do it again. It's up. This time you switch it and now instead of the woman, it's the man who's an artist, and he has to go investigate a bordella to see what it would be like. And then, just because you know worth the first time, let's just remake the first one and call it three. So this is a kind of a trope for then all of it, and then and then after that he makes a pair of really good ones. Mirror Images is great. It's really great. It's basically like, you know, these two sisters. They're twins, ones like frigid and one sort of wild, and then one one's married to a senator I think, and the other is just sort of like she's like a rock star. And then they get into all sorts of shenanigans. But it's actually played by two different people. In this original one, Julie Strain is in it. And then of course that word works so well. Then remade it again, but this time, and this is where he really nails it. He remakes it with my absolute favorite erotic thriller actor, Shannon Worry. She she's like brings everything that he does to the end degree nice. So while a lot of the other actresses, like you know, they might have been nude models or penthouse playmates or somewhat actors or whatever, they never could really act act They were like decent, but they're like a little stilted, kind of like I think Tweeds a little stilted. Shannon Worry came from off Broadway, classically trained background. She's in like some bad Cigall movie or a couple other things, bumming around, and then ends up in his movies. And she is great, Like, she's so great. I don't really do this often, but I ordered an autograph of her. She's also in Me, Myself and Irene, and I got her an autograph of her just because I think she's awesome and she really brings it to the degree. And then this all is really taken to the best. So if you're into these erotic thrillers and you're enjoying it and you're like, oh, this Gregory Darko guy's cool, and this Shannon Worry is interesting, this is the movie to see called Animal Instincts, and Animal Instincts puts it all together. In the perfect movie. You got this woman who whose husband is a cop, and she's bored and he's like only soda so interested in her, and they decide to place a personal ad for men or people to come over and have sex with her while he watches on a closed circuit camera, and he really gets off on this, and then the relationship blossoms and they love each other even more. But then some other people, nefarious people, find out about the whole scheme and will it bring him down? And will it won't? For this movie great, this is like this is another one that's like a real five star movie from me. And one of the crazy things about why this is a five star movie is not only was it directed by Great Darko, it was shot by Wally Fister, who went on to shoot most of Nolan's movies until they had a falling out. So this is where Wally Fister got to start, is he got to start making these erotic thrillers and Animal Instincts. Animal Instincts was cut so like the negative was cut. It was released in Germany and Japan on screen. So and then they remake it again, of course, and they remake it again and this time she's on her own and it's basically the same movie, but it's almost just as good and then they make it a third time, but no, Shannon worry. And this is at the end of Greg darktor A's aroundic thriller career. And this is an angry, angry movie about like how all of his life has been a waste and there's like a blind man who can actually see and how this whole thing is a farce. It's basically like Greg Darko yelling at everybody, saying, like you all a bunch of posers. I don't like you, and why do you even buy my movies? And they're gonna make these again. Yeah, And that's the end of his ironic thrillers. So that, I mean, I have more things that I could share, but that's like a decent start, and feel free to interrupt and go from there.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing I said we were going to talk about later is something that you helped me with actually is a players for anybody interested in laser discs. In his twenty twenty six what do we do about players because obviously we're not manufacturing brand new players every year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no more players. The last actually players were made and around two thousand and nine because they were combo players for a little while and Pioneer service them for a little after that. But yeah, getting players nowadays is tricky. So certain parts of the players are easy to fix. There's a bunch of rubber bands in them that you can replace. There's some things called a grip rain that you can replace. The laser, if it dies is pretty much dead, and then there are some of the gears that you can grease up and get back to working. You know, it's mostly a mechanical mechanism, and then it's the laser, so you know, people can fix them. Honestly, most of the time the lasers don't die, so you can get them fixed. Now if you live in a big city like New York or LA or Chicago, you can usually find them within driving distance on Facebook marketplace list. You know, really, for what a starter is going to do, any laser dis player that works is great. The funny thing is you go up and up and up in laser discs players, it gets incredibly expensive. And what you're looking for is your signal to noise ratio. Because you remember, you have an analog format, so you're not using any digital outs, and the low end players, the signal to noise ratio will be something like fifty seven fifty eight TB And what that really means is how much you signally going to get before your blacks become a mess. And fifty seven fifty eight is like pretty low. It's about as low as it gets. Most of them are in the sixties. And then when you get to the upper upper end ones like when the guy's talking about the news players, which is all that I use because I'm crazy. You have to get those from Japan. You have to be really careful how they come in, and then you have to you know, you have to get them worked on, then tweaked, and then you might get about seventy four seventy five dB signal the noise ratio. And when you do that and you put it through a nice scaler and you put it through a nice projector and you get a decent image, it's not terrible.
Speaker 2: No So can't find them really, especially not brand new.
Speaker 5: I mean you can, you can, you can, You're not in brand new, but you can get them places. But when you buy them on eBay, for the most part, people stick it in a box and they send it to you and it's they always come broken. It's really, really, really hard to ship a Lasers player. If you're gonna ship a Layers player, you buy an eBay, you gotta tell them I need you to put it in a box, and I need you to put a bunch of pmies in a box. Put it in that box, put more fomis in that box, make it super tight. Then take that box, wrap it in bubble wrap, put a bunch of homies in another box, put that box in a box, and then send it to me. And that's really the only way they'll survive.
Speaker 2: And if somebody is going after one. What is the expected price to pay in twenty twenty six for a natury level pleasure displayer?
Speaker 5: I think the more or less the cheapest ones you're going to get that work about one hundred and fifty bucks. I think if you want something like that's a little more medium, I would expect to pay about two hundred fifty dollars. You don't actually need an s video out. The best thing to do is to use the yellow the composite out and then put it through anything else, any modern system, because because again you have an analog format and a composite is going to send out two things illuminance and chrominans. The Y and C, and so you need a comb filter that separates out that yn C S video does it in the player, but the player is thirty five years old. Anything that you have now is going to have a better comb filter than that thirty five year old player. And if you get some really fancy things, and actually if you get a receiver from around twenty ten twenty eleven, those are the best comebe filters around and you can get those really really cheap, which see what I use for most.
Speaker 2: Of my stuff, And you smell laser discs quite a lot, so I.
Speaker 5: Don't The cell is like, is like a little bit nebulous because what I really do is I just drop them off in Kansas near you, and my brother takes care of all of it. But yeah, I mean I do privately sell here and there, but I haven't privately sold much in years. Most of my really high value stuff is gone that I have doubles of, so that's he's just like selling the chum. He did sell a Friday the thirteenth, three this last week for like one hundred and thirty bucks, so that's not bad.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we talked a couple of the exclusives earlier. What are some of the more well known things that are stuck on laser disc. I know, the one that I was going to bring up is the original scream. The only way to see that uncut is still on laser disc.
Speaker 5: Yes, Screams on laser discs, I mean, and more and more. I don't actually quite know what it's like laser disc exclusive as far as like features and whatnot. I mean, there's a lot of commentaries that didn't get poured over for various reasons, like I think even like I was saying the Sixth Day, But there's also The Sixth Man, which I think it's like a basketball comedy. Ye, I'm sorry, and it had an exclusive commentary.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Robert wants to know, in regards to shipping, how many discs do you have they get destroyed due to poor shipping.
Speaker 5: I've had a few. I did have Trauma's Mother get destroyed and shipping, and it took me about six years to find another copy.
Speaker 2: Jeez.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was like ten times a price. It happened sometimes. Honestly, it doesn't happen a ton since I stopped getting mailed to my house. The ups people that hold it for me are lovely and they're my friends, and they seem to keep it very nice, so I go there.
Speaker 2: Nice anymore. Oh yeah, Patty boy, I think somebody else would ask about this. The Double oh seven canceled audio commentary at Laser disc.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have all those. Those are all in the Criterion. So if you're looking for the three Double oh seven commentaries. They released the lasers just twice. It's like, I don't remember the adapt number. Sixty nine, seventy and seventy one are the spine numbers, and they also release them with an A, so it's like sixty nine A, seventy A, seventy one A. All the a's have no commentary. All the non a's are gatefold and they do have the commentaries.
Speaker 2: Interesting. And then Roger Rabbit, who framed Roger Rabbit, the original Natty animated version, is there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I have that, But I also have the best of Roger Rabbit animations. These are the three original shorts. I think maybe these have come out eventually, but for the longest time, these are the only ways to see these.
Speaker 2: M that's super cool.
Speaker 5: And then if you want another really really inappropriate animation, just because I know you love animation, this is incredibly hard to find. Oh damn, I won't say what the I won't say what they call it in uh on the DVD. There is a DVD that released, but they don't use this title. They use a slightly different one. But this is a this is a very weird movie. And this is the only one I've actually come across.
Speaker 2: Of it actually street fight and the cover art is great. That is incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's very cool. There's also a ton of people like, like, the other fun thing that you can find semi exclusive to laserness is be action movies. So I really like this movie. I watched it. So this is only released in Indonesia called Supervites, but it's made in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. But it's by a Hong Kong director. He had just come over. He didn't even speak any English. And it's basically about this guy who wants to be an MMA fighter they don't really quite call it then, and he's got to like take on all these other super fighters and this like terrible guy that just tries to drug him all up. But that's what documentary is a documentary. It was mixed by a colleague of mine, so I the credits and I was like, holy shit, I know this guy. So I called him up and I was like, hey, I can't believe you met you mix like the best movie ever super Fights, and he's like, don't talk to me about that, and he like, he's like, it was a bad time in my life. I don't want to discuss it.
Speaker 2: So oops.
Speaker 5: But but fair enough. I mean he's actually he's a much more famous than I am, very famous tomes it, so he doesn't really want to talk about super Fights.
Speaker 2: Nice? Nice, all right? Any other any other laser just questions from the chat? Yeah, I can't think of much else.
Speaker 5: I'll dropped like two more things and I'll let you go. So Trauma also released a ton of stuff on laser disc. They did, so this is Troma's war. Their covers are awesome on laser disc.
Speaker 2: This is one I would not be surprised at all if this was a vinegar syndrome four K eventually.
Speaker 5: I hope. So this is a fun movie. Yeah, so that's a very cool one. And then people like to talk about like going complete on an actor or an actress. But the only way to go complete when Pamela Anderson is with naked souls from an Indonesian laser.
Speaker 2: Disc, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: And then if you really want to go deep and crazy, so many people might know some of these had come out recently, but our good friend Cynthia Rothrock had a bunch of random Hong Kong ones. So this is a Prince of the Sun, which I don't think has come out yet.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: And then Vinegar Syndrome released the Writing Wrongs cut of this is a weird cut called Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Killer, but they released it eventually on their Writing Wrongs. And then just because you're like, oh, Cynthia Rothrock, she's such a great action actor. I wonder what else she could do. Well, she was in an erotic thriller called Fatal Passion.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: So if you ever want to see Cynthia rock Rock acting an ironic thriller, you gotta find this Indonesian laser disc. So good luck.
Speaker 2: Take that to a can and get Cynthia to sign that one.
Speaker 5: I've never been I'd be interesting. I wonder if she would.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we get a question, what's your favorite obscure Hong Kong laser disc that you have?
Speaker 5: Well, look at that great question. This was made me my I wrote about this in the articles because I love this movie so much, called All of a Sudden. You can find it now nicely done on the Internet archive, but I didn't know that at the time. This movie is amazing. It's basically like who done it? So it starts off with like a naked woman who falls out of the sky and lands on the car, and then it's sort of a cop and an investigation and kidnapping and it's all the salmon lamb and it's is cat to be But this is like, this is like as the handover is happening. So this is like the end of a Cat three movie, the a Cat three era and the start of a brief period of a bunch of Cat two b things. But this one is great all of a Sudden, there's one hundred percent we're seeing And then I also really like this movie. But everybody knows this one, but I think this is called the Naked Killer. This is the Taiwanese Lazerness. And I don't know everything about what's cut, what's uncut, whatever you want to call it. But as far as I know, this is about as uncut as it gets. I mean, maybe there's other stuff. I'm not sure, but I'm telling you watching this is plenty of uncut for me. I love this movie as well.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't remember. Do we go over this? What what is the most valuable one that you owned? Do you know that? Answer? Off hand?
Speaker 5: I do know, but that's okay. I mean there there, there are there, there are like I own several that are worth over one thousand dollars Jesus, yeah.
Speaker 2: Any any titles off hand?
Speaker 5: I mean the Prince of Tide sells for a thousand books. Wow, yeah, the sixth the sixth Man, the sixth Day. I actually made a really nice There's a guy in Germany who collects erotic thrillers as well, and I actually sent him because I at first this is actually what I was gonna talk about. But this is called the Pamelet principle too seduce me. He couldn't find it at all, and I accidentainly found two on purpose maybe, and I used that in a bunch of other erotic thriller things to sort of bargain down the price. And I got that for I think a reasonable price, one hundreds of dollars and it's worth like two grand.
Speaker 2: Not too bad. I actually wanted to know the answer to this one too. Gary wants to Was there ever three D on laser disc?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So in Japan they released three D love Making, so you can watch with your three D glasses some really bad like blurry people do different positions to is you can learn. There's also an American roller Coaster three D, so you can put on your three D classes and be the POV of a roller coaster, which is the most nauseating thing. Uh. Those are the two that I know off of hand. No, there's another one. There's one movie I think too, but not Flesh for Frankenstein. But there's a couple. There might be one or two movies, but I know those dudes.
Speaker 2: It's that's so specific. Not Flesh for Sprinkenstein. All right, that's got that's interesting, the three D on laser disc.
Speaker 5: Huh all right, yeah, I'll say one more thing. What we're sort of in the Hong Kong thing. One one thing when I'm buying a lot of Hong Kong movies is uh, like things just pop up, so like, you know, whatever this is, it's just some movie. You look at the back it says it's Cat three, it's called Club Girl, and you're like, okay, what in the world is that? So you go on Letterbox, it doesn't have a review. You go on the IMDb, there is no review. You go on Hong Kong Movie Database and it'll say nothing. So this movie it's just here, and that's like it like whether that's good, whether that's bad. You know, I saw most of it. It's a little boring. They made a lot of these. So they made a lot of these dramas that are sort of about we would I guess they translated as club girl, but really what it is is sort of like you want to go to a bar or a nightclub and have a pretty lady interact with you, and so you sort of pay them for their time and you feed them drinks. So it's a drama about that. There's not a lot of but you know, there's a lot of those kind of styles. So you just find these things that just disappeared. They're gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robert was pointing out something I've only fan of Laser disc a matter of degrees with Ari Gross and Tom Sizemore W T. Morgan. I'm sure you've got that one. I'm sure.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can look, I don't know. Fine, note off the top of my head. I only have so much in my head.
Speaker 2: That's true. Eddie wanted to know if you had DTS titles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have almost all of them. I'm missing I'm missing four, I.
Speaker 2: Believe, not too bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have all the U I have all the Japanese ones, and I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure I'm missing four. I don't know if I have a matter of degrees. Although my internet's really or my US really slow because we've been streaming for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On that note, Uh yeah, Paul had this question earlier. I forgot to ask. Did they do TV shows? Not TV movies, but TV shows?
Speaker 5: Yeah, tons of them, and in Japan they released some beautiful, beautiful box sets of them. So things like X Files exists Ers all on laser disc.
Speaker 2: Hell mhmm, the entirety of Ears on laser disc.
Speaker 5: Yep, we got the whole thing. And you know, remember how they did a live episode twice. You can get it on both sides. They have so friends, so if you want to talk about red things, they don't have friends. They release the pilot but only on Singapore laser disc, and I don't have that.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 5: I think it goes for a lot of money. There's also a lot of concerts on laser discs that never got anywhere else. Oh yeah, there's lots of There's lots of all kinds of weird in you know, Japan especially, they release these background videos so they'll be like airplanes flying or flowers, where there's also a substrata of these sort of like Japanese background these sort of maybe X rated things where they have incredibly young girls topless on a beach, like uncomfortably. I don't own any I owned one, and I was like, I'm a jujit. They're like fourteen years old, twelve. I'm not team fifteen years old running on top of us. They have to sell for a crazy amount of money. I don't get that one.
Speaker 2: So Ronnie is pointing out they can't have the entirety of VR if it was last release in two thousand and one, because went till two thousand and nine. Okay, we all went on for forever.
Speaker 5: They have it up to whatever they have the first sex six seasons I think, or seven seasons.
Speaker 2: Gees's that's so much even for R. That's crazy. Although that was the best era of R, not that it wasn't at least good after that, but man, those first six or seven years were great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot of weird stuff that gets released on these on that format, because, like you remember, there's like seventy thousand releases, and like even if you take out the karaoke which is a solid ten thousand maybymore, there's still at like sixty thousand releases, and even if movies get repeated, like there's like fifty terminat or twos, but like you know, you're still talking like thirty plus thousand probably maybe a little less, maybe twenty eight thousand unique titles a all the movies. No, but there's twenty plus thousand movies. I would say, jeez, that is so much.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, and so many of them literally like we'll probably never make it past that as their best release.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a lot of them that like we'll stay there. And that's not always bad, but it's like it's a little weird, Like it's weird that it was popular enough for somebody to spend the money to make these laser discs and forgotten enough twenty five years later and nobody will ever release it again.
Speaker 2: Right, I get it. Jeez. All right, well, I think that is probably the end of the line for tonight. This has been awesome. Laser discs has been a fun conversation. Lots people learning tonight, I think because this is not something that gets discussed all that often. I love that we've been able to get some of yours cataloged on some discs that I've worked on. Hope that we get some more. In fact, there are a couple more that we haven't even technically announced yet that we've already got scanned and ready to go, So we'll see that eventually. All right, any any last like fun facts, anything you want to throw out.
Speaker 5: No, just thank you for having me. I hope it was somewhat cojin at least, and somewhat interesting because I know it can get deep into esoteric or minutia and it's not exactly what even I feel like even within our community is like the so in vogue.
Speaker 2: Well that and it's just it's not covered. I mean, it's so like so many when you don't have the hardware, it's really hard to get new people into the fold. I think that's a big thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And also I was like, I've been obsessed with this for like a long time, and so like I've been thinking about it in one way or another for way, way, way, way, way too long.
Speaker 2: So well, everybody in the chat seems to love it. And remember when you see him next week in the chat, he is the Wonderment project. Say hi, eager to see it. Next week will be another fun one, Brian, can't wait to talk again soon, Talk soon, everybody. We'll see you next Thursday later. Thank you for watching the Disconnected On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 10: If you're looking for more horror outside of the mainstream, look no further than Unsung Horrors, a podcast about underseen horror movies. I'm Lance and I'm Erica.
Speaker 7: Every other week we'll cover a horror movie with fewer than one thousand views on Letterboxed. We'll even give you double feature recommendations to pair with the movies we discuss.
Speaker 10: From gothic to shot on video, from slashers to comedies, from Giallo to jay horror. We'll cover all the subgenres. So join us as we unearth these hidden gems of horror.
Speaker 7: Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. All at Unsung Horrors available wherever you listen to podcasts and part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 8: I am Adam Lundy, co host of the Live by Film, a podcast dedicated to bringing you film discussion on interviews from around the world. Every week, my co hosts Chris Haskell, Zuck Bryant, and I discuss a wide range of films, from monumental classics like Vertigo on the Rules of the Game, to the craziest schlockiest movies are made like Deathbed and everything in between. We are also lucky enough to have sat down with some of the biggest players in the boutique Blu ray and film restoration game. If this is your thing, then come hang out with us every Thursday at seven pm Eastern wherever you normally stream your podcasts, and now as part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description