Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumba Casino dot com and lived Chumba Lane nover Necessary dripod where everybody lost the terms of conditions eating plus.
Speaker 2: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 2: We're family, Canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 3: Now you want to get mixed up in the family.
Speaker 2: Business, introducing The Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 3: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 2: Play The Godfather now at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the family vdW group.
Speaker 2: No purchase necessary if we were premitted by loss he terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 3: Good evening. On an October night in nineteen oh five, a horrifying scene was found on a wooden vessel off the coast of Cape Fear, North Carolina. On board the Harry a Berwind, one crewman lay dead, his blood streaming down the deck. The four officers were all gone, murdered too. It would turn out, their bodies dumped into the sea. Only three sailors remained alive, one tied up, all telling different stories, all blaming each other. The three sailors were black, the dead officers were white. So began a legal spectacle that would captivate much of the nation's press and fuel a sensational trial in Wilmington. It was in Wilmington, after all, that shocking racial violence had occurred not long before, and now the city remained in the clutches of white supremacists. Most observers could have predicted a quick verdict and a triple hanging, if not an even quicker lynching. Yet the legal drama would defy predictions, lasting seven years, reaching the Supreme Court, pulling in Presidents Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft, then eating twisted into a fanciful, big budget movie. In the end, so many participants, from jurors to lawyers to politicians, acted against type that justice had a fighting chance. The book that we're featuring this evening is Ship of Blood, Mutiny and Slaughter Aboard the Harry A. Berwin and the Quest for Justice, with my special guest, author and attorney Charles Oldham. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Charles Oldham, Well, thank you for having me, Thank you so much, and congratulations on this incredible tale.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Let's as you do in the book, you introduced this area Cape Fear, North Carolina. We all know about the movie and the remake of the movie starring Robert de Niro. Just tell us a little bit more about Cape Fear as you introduce this story.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, for anyone who's not not familiar with North Carolina, and I am because this is this is the area where I grew up. Really, but these days, anyone who's familiar with Wilmington and the Brunswick County area, which is where Cape Peer actually is, these days, it's the beach. It's a tourist community and that's what that's what all of all of life evolves around the beach and seafood restaurants and sailing races and that type of thing, which is great. It's a wonderful place to vacation, wonderful place to live too. But I mean, for this story, we kind of have to we have to go back in time more than one hundred years, because the case happened in the year nineteen oh five. And yeah, back in those days, it was you know, life was hard in rural North Carolina. Back in that time, it was a pretty pretty hard struggle place to live. And Southport Cape Fear was a very small, you might say, shipping and fishing village where you know, everything revolved around the shipping industry and fishing, fishing that type of thing, and life was difficult, and the people people back then were very very hard folks. You might say, they had a lot of They had to deal with a lot of struggles in their daily lives, and politics reflected that at the same time, early nineteen hundreds were a very very tumultuous time in politics of the area back in those days. And that's that's also what I try to convey in the book.
Speaker 3: Let's get to October tenth, nineteen oh five, and you talk about a four masted schooner, the Blanche A. H.
Speaker 4: King.
Speaker 3: Tell Us set the stage as you do with Captain John Taylor, eight officers and crew. What happens October tenth, nineteen oh five.
Speaker 5: Well, the Blanche King, the sailing ship that you mentioned, was sailing along just off the coast of North Carolina, not for kick Fear, roughly twenty five miles offshore. They were on their way to Philadelphia, carrying a load of a load of lumber on board, and they happened to come across another another vessel sort of in the same shipping path that was also headed towards Philadelphia, and that ship was known as the Harry A. Berwin. It's kind of interesting because sailing vessels back then, commercial vessels typically were named after people, usually former ship captains or businessmen, officers in shipping companies and that type of thing. So the names of these these vessels were not particularly creative. They were just they were just named after people. But anyway, the uh I was just called it. The King and the Berwin. The King was sailing the Lawn and they came across the Berwind, another vessel of very similar size and the size and dimensions, and the officers on board the King noticed that the Berwind was sailing pretty erratically. They were kind of zigging, zagging, batting forth, and they didn't have their sails furled properly, and it was just it appeared like there was something to miss on board the Berwin, And so the King they drew up, drew up alongside the other ship, and they came within hailing distance, and the guys on board the King shouted out in Berwin and said, hey, what's wrong, And somebody shouted back from Berwin said we want to be taken off this ship because a man has gone crazy and he's killed all of the officers on board the ship. So when the fellows on board of the King got into their lifeboat, they'll call it, and they went over to the other ship. They found a bloody scene. There was at least one man who was lying dead on board the deck of the ship, and there were four others the officers on board the ship, who were also deceased. They had been shot and killed and their bodies had.
Speaker 3: Been tossed overboard.
Speaker 5: So what they came across was essentially a mass murder scene.
Speaker 3: What did they do as a result, You say, what did they exactly find? You say, is they found the bloody scene, but they had they experienced something right away that they noticed with someone being tied up. So tell us what the exchange was and what they did witness.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true. Originally, on board the Burwind there had been eight men on board, four officers and four other guys whom I will call lower decks sailors, and all four of the officers were missing. It turned out that they had been shot and killed and thrown overboard, and of the four sailors, one of them also was lying dead. They found his body on the dead ship. One of them also had been tied up bound hand and foot by the other two guys who were still alive. And walking around. So it was clear that someone had obviously committed some committed some murders, although it wasn't entirely clear at first who had done what because there were three three people remaining alive on board the ship, and they started telling different stories, blaming each other as to who did what.
Speaker 3: Okay, so two of the people once Arthur Adams, and another one is named Sawyer Robert, and the person tied up is named Henry Scott. Yes, so what do Adams and Sawyer have to say about what happened?
Speaker 5: Well, they immediately blamed everything on Henry Scott. They claimed that Henry Scott had smuggled some weapons on board the ship, and they said that this came as a complete surprise to them. But they claimed that Henry Scott decided that he was going to kill all the officers on board the and take over the vessel. And they claimed that that is what Henry Scott seeded to do. He pulled out his weapons and he went and hunted down each of the offers one by one shot and killed him and threw them overboard. And at the same time they claimed that Henry Scott had held them under the gun, claiming that he would kill them, Adams and Sawyer if they did not cooperate with it. And they claimed that that went on for several hours, and it was not until later that they were able to seize the opportunity to tackle mister Scott and beat him down and take his guns away from him and tie him up. And in the process the Scott apparently had shot and killed one of the other sales whose name was Cokeley, and he was the one who was lying dead on board on the deck. That was their story, as you might imagine, Henry Scott, the other fellow, told a different story.
Speaker 3: What was a different story that he had.
Speaker 5: Well, mister Scott, as you might imagine, blamed it on all the other guys. He claimed that Adams and Sawyer and Copley actually were the ones who brought guns on board the ship, and Scott claimed he was innocent of that. And mister Scott claimed that the other three guys were the ones who conspired together to do the very same thing, kill all the officers take control of the ship. And Scott he essentially, as you might say, he flipped the script on the other three guys. He claimed that they came up with the idea of seizing the vessel, maybe taking it into port and trying to claim that the officers had drowned in a storm or something like that, and they might use this as a way to try to collect a reward from the shipping company for having salvaged the ship or something like that. And mister Scott, as you might imagine, also claimed that when he objected to this plan, that the other guys decided to tagle him and tie him down and so forth. So it was basically two guys against one telling completely different stories about what happened.
Speaker 3: Now you say that Captain Taylor that was in charge of the king, he certainly wasn't a detective or law enforcement, so he had all three handcuffed. He couldn't sort out who was guilty of war, so he did it, played it safe and had these people handcuffed, and then escorted it into Wilmington. I believe from there what happens in terms of law enforcements involvement.
Speaker 5: Well, they escorted the bur Wind into the nearest port, which was actually Southport, North Carolina, which is a small small town which is just at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, just a short distance down river from Wilmington, which is the major major city in the area. But you're correct, I mean they all both ships were then taken into South Fork and Captain Taylor from the King then turned all three of those guys over to the custody of federal marshals in the area because it was a it was a federal case. It was a mutiny and a mass murders that took place on board the on the on the high seas, So essentially it turned into a federal mutiny and murder prosecution, which and the trial was held in Wilmington, North Carolina just a few weeks afterwards.
Speaker 3: You eventually talk of what is at play at this preliminary that starts in nineteen oh five. We alluded to it in the introduction about what happened in eighteen ninety eight in Wilmington, and obviously this trial is it is influenced by what happened in eighteen ninety eight and all of the events and the environment and atmosphere that occurred before nineteen oh five. So now there's a media at play here and the phenomena of people that are interested in this case. Tell us about all of that backdrop to this preliminary trial.
Speaker 5: Well, it was a very auspicious time because this was in nineteen oh five when these murders took place. And the critical factor is that these three men, these three sailors who were put on trial for these murders, all three of them were of African descent. And as it turned out, all four of the officers on board the Berwin who were murdered were white men. So three black guys put on trial for murdering four white men. And this was in Wilmington, North Carolina, in nineteen oh five, And we have to take account of, as you said, what happened in Wilmington in eighteen ninety eight. This is a story that has gotten a lot of coverage in recent years from historians and the press because it was a very shocking event which was really didn't get a lot of coverage for a long time, which is unfortunate. It's only within the past twenty years so that people have really become aware of what we now call the eighteen ninety eight insurrection at Wilmington. But the long short of it is that in eighteen ninety eight, Wilmington was a multi racial city, and very unusual for the South in those days. It had a multi racial government that had been elected in the say, the mid mid eighteen nineties. Around eighteen ninety four, they had black people and white people both serving in the city government. And things really came to ahead in eighteen ninety eight when something called the white supremacist movement spread across North Carolina. The Democratic Party, which was a completely different institution back then from what we know it as today, was staunchly white premises, and in the eighteen ninety eight campaign, they really carved upon racial issues as a means of seizing control of the state government. And I hate to I try to be delicate in the way that I described this, because it's so easy to give offense sometimes, but the campaign that they ran was absolutely brutal. They spread all kinds of rumors about black government officials praying on white women and that type of thing, and warning about the perils of what they call negro domination in state government. Again, I apologize to even use language like this, but that's those were the dynamics of the situation. But again, to a kind of cut to the chase, in eighteen ninety eight, these white supremacist Democrats took complete control of North Carolina, state government in that election, and as a result of that in Wilmington, there was a very It led to a very very bloody situation in which the local white supremacists they decided they were going that when the election was not enough, they were going to see physical control of the city government by killing people. And that's what happened. They staged and an armed insurrection in the city where they physically evict the white people and a lot of the blacks who had been involved in the city government, and they marched through the streets with guns and they went about killing people. They were probably about about sixty people who ended up lying dead in the streets as a result of that. It really was a bloody governmental coupe tap probably the only, the only documented case where that has actually happened in the United States. It's a very very regretful thing for anyone who's from North Carolina to know about. And that's why that's unfortunately why the story remained hidden for so long. A lot of just didn't we didn't learn about it in high school because it's so so shameful. But as a result of that, in eighteen ninety eight, Wilmington, North Carolina, was a completely the governmental institutions, the courts, everything was completely dominated by white supremacists. And therefore that was the environment that these three black guys facing when they were put on trial murdering these white men in nineteen oh five.
Speaker 3: You also talk about that it was said that they would have two separate trials, that Adams and Adam Lawyer and would both have would have a separate trial as opposed to Henry Scott. But the thing is that the dynamics of those both of those trials would be that Scott would be the star witness in the Adams and Stewart trial and that the and vice versa, Adams and would be witness at the Scott trial. So other than that, who if anyone is there to represent talk about the representation of Adams and his partner and Henry Scott.
Speaker 5: Well, the interesting thing is, and you're correct, I mean there were two trials. Adams and Sawyer were tried together because they were telling the same story, they were blaming Scott, and then Scott was tried separately because it was just the opposite. Scott was alleging that Adams and Sawyer were the killers. So yes, there were two separate trials. One right after the other, and total three defendants. And one thing that is surprising to me is that all three of them had defense attorneys and they what's what's really ironic is that the defense attorneys who were appointed by the court were guys who were who came from the white establishment in Wilmington and whose families were staunched Democrats, and they had relatives who were actually involved in the events of the insurrection in eighteen ninety eight, in fact, they had been leaders of it. And yet here they were being appointed to represent these black guys in court. And what's really surprising is that they actually did their jobs. They did not strike from the responsibility of representing these fellows and filing the appropriate motions, and I mean they did the best they could in court. I mean, given the deck that was stacked against them, because they were these guys were they were put on trial in federal court, and the juries were called from taxpayer roles of and the jurors, as you might imagine, we're all white men from eastern North Carolina, and so I mean they were they had the deck stacked against from the very beginning. But despite all of that, the trial procedures we were followed, the law was followed, and it was the trial. The trial presision was very deliberate and calm and professional, which is not exactly what you might expect. The verdicts were what you probably would expect, but I was rbally surprised by the sense of quorum in the court room was actually quite pretty pretty calm and professional.
Speaker 3: You you write about the participation of the press and its influence. What did the press consider after hearing the very what you write, very very consistent testimony right from the very beginning and continuing to trial on Adams and uh and Slawyer.
Speaker 5: Well, it's just a little bit of the background. Adams and Sawyer were put on trial first, and Scott was the primary witness against them, and so the prosecutor, he I get the sense that he really wanted to He just wanted to get this over with quickly as possible. He wanted to try all three of them, and he wanted to get death sentences against all three of them and then and be done with it. So the prosecutor, when he put Adam and Sawyer on trial first, he simply brought in Scott to take the stand and give his given his testimony and then Adams and Sawyer took the stand on their own behalf told their story, and people noted that Adams and Sawyer in particular, they were very concisient in stories that they told. They seemed calm and sincere and so forth. So a lot of the press the moment were actually pressed with adamson Sawyer. Despite that, they were found guilty and they were immediately sentenced to death. After that trial concluded, and the trial of Adams and Sawyer took about three days. About a half hour after that trial concluded, they simply started the second trial Scott's. They just declared the recess. Thirty minutes later. They filled the jury box twelve more people and they started the second trial. And then the prosecutor then brought in Adams and Sawyer to be his witnesses to testify against Scott, despite the fact that the same prosecutor had just gotten death sentences against them only hours before. Yeah, they now became his witness They took stand, told the very same story that they had in their own trial. They said Scott did it. And then you know, Scott took the stand, told his story again in his own defense. This time he also was found guilty and sentence to death. So it was I mean, the whole thing was I said this a moment ago, that the trial process was very deliberate and calm, probably a little too much so, because there was just a sense that all the all the attorneys just wanted to get it over and done with, and the judge wanted to be sure that he followed all the all the rules, dotted all the eyes and crossed all the t's, and so that he wouldn't be overturned on appeal. Probably, But I mean, the trials were obviously a rush job, and the verdicts and the sentences were no surprise and given the given the whole black white dynamics of the thing. But what was surprising is that a lot of the people, the people in the courtroom and especially press in Wilmington who were reporting on this, they actually listened to what these people were saying in court and they were really impressed with Addatant Sawyer. They sounded sincere and I hate to use the languige they used in print. They called them like a simple minded, which is a racially loaded term, but they meant it as a compliment sort of, because they sounded honest, and it sounded like they were telling the truth, whereas they noted that this guy Scott, on the other hand, was he seemed really slit and evasive, and again this is a little offensive, but they said that he was unusually smart for a black guy, which lived them to think, well, he's probably lying and he's probably the guilty one, which turned out to be true. But what really surprised me was that the press really were that discerning and they were willing to They were willing to say, you know, all three of these guys probably are not equally guilty, and all of them probably did not deserve to hang. And in fact, these were the same newspapers who just a few years earlier had been advocating in favor of the white supremacy movement, and they had all all but they had been cheering on the sidelines when that insurrection happened and when people were being shot dead in the streets. But they were willing to acknowledge that. But you know, this probably is a mischaracter justice as far as Adams and Sawyer concerned. So that was very surprising to me.
Speaker 3: You noted what the press picked up on, but you also write that there was a financial consideration by the Burrowwind itself, the owners of the Burwind, to the verdict being just as it was. Can you tell us about.
Speaker 5: That, Yeah, the officers in the company that owned the Burwind, they did have a bit of a financial motive here because they didn't want to want to have to pay out any what they would call salvage fees, because if it turned out that any of the surviving crew members, if any of them have been found not guilty of the mutiny and the murder, then conceivably the shipping company might have been liable to pay salvage fees to either the crew of the King that had intercepted the ship, or conceivably even to the surviving sailors Adams and Sawyer. So you might say that they had a financial motive to come into court and swear that all three of the guys had been had been actively involved in the mutiny and murders, and the captain of the of the King and also the owners of Berwin they also testified in the trials to that effect.
Speaker 3: You you talked about the media as well, did they not you say that they concluded that somebody must be lying out of the three and somebody, if not two people were innocent of the three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, or at least they had doubts about it. It seemed like they figured out pretty pretty early on that Henry Scott, who was a suspicious character, he just didn't look right, he didn't sound right, He just didn't sit right, you might say. And they had they had doubts about, you know, whether his whether his story really held water, and it didn't.
Speaker 3: So you say that the execution was set for shortly after for Scott and for Adams and Sawyer. What happens next in terms of their future.
Speaker 5: Well, Adams, Adams and Sawyer, their attorney did file an appeal on their behalf. So I did I did their attorney credit for that, because he didn't. He didn't just walked away once they were sentenced. And in fact, at that point there was another attorney who came on board to represent them, to represent Adams and Sawyer on their appeal, which ultimately went to the Supreme Court, the United States Supreme Court. And that attorney's name was George Roundtree. And that was really fascinating to me because he, in fact had been one of the one of the prime ring leaders of the insurrection back in eighteen ninety eight. He had been walking around in the in the streets. There's still some dispute about exactly how he was involved, but he probably was involved in coordinating the shootings and the demonstrations that ended up killing Hi about sixty people. But he didn't have to do it. I can't imagine that he was being paid very much. But he willingly came into this case and he defended Adams and Sawyer and took their case to the US Supreme Court. So again that was very surprising to me. Scott's attorney did not file an appeal for him because he I think he realized that the writing was on the wall as far as he was concerned. But yes, the case Adam the Sawyer, their case did go to the Supreme Court. They did not actually prevail in this Supreme Court because well, the issues that their attorneys were able to raise, they just the Supreme Court wasn't really looking at issues like the advocacy of defense councils, and they weren't looking at racial issues at that point in time. You know, it wasn't until later, say discotsper of cases and really much later in the nineteen fifties and sixties when when the federal courts really began to take seriously how racial prejudice interfered with due process of law in cases like that. So they did not win in Supreme Court. But there was a very unforeseen surprise that came along, and I think you probably know what I'm referring to. There was the anonymous letter that appeared in the jail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second to hear from our sponsor, which is Best Fiends. When I have some downtime, when not working on a podcast or reading a book to prepare, I take some time to play Best Fiends and lose myself in the game. I even lose track of time playing sometimes when I'm on a little winning streak, for example. What I love most about Best Fiends is the challenges, and I play whenever I want to unwind. I'm on level eight hundred and twenty right now, so so many more levels that I want to achieve. Best Fiends is a mobile puzzle game that everyone can download and play. No matter how much time you have to play. You'll love the great escape Best Fiends offers. There are a lot of cool characters help you solve all the thousands of puzzles, and the more characters you collect, the more challenges you face. As you keep winning, there are challenging puzzles and new characters added all the time, and with thousands of levels, you'll never ever get bored. Download Best Fiends free today on the App Store or Google Play. That's Friends without the are Best Fiends.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We talked about Charles about the surprise letter. What was contained in this anonymous letter that would help these two characters.
Speaker 5: Well, it happened in the summer of nineteen oh six. It was about seven or eight months after the trials, when all three guys were in jail. They'd been sentenced to death and they were awaiting their execution dates. Somebody and we don't know who, wrote a letter to Henry Scott in the jail telling him to well, alleging that Henry Scott had taken part in some other murders that supposedly happened in Alabama a couple of years before. And it also contained some hints that Henry Scott was involved in some kind of conspiracy of black militants that was taking place throughout in different states throughout the South, and they were planning to overthrow white supremacist governments. Now that's it seems kind of far fetched. And the jailers when they read this letter, they didn't they didn't really take it seriously, but they thought, you know, we really need to look into this. And so what they did they got up with this gentleman who was the director of one of the episcopal churches in Wilmington and one of the he was an African American priest who had been been ministering to all three of these guys while they were while they were in the jail. So they they talked with this this priest and they they basically goaded him into crying Henry Scott for some information, trying to figure out if there was anything to these these allegation of the other murders and the conspiracy and so forth. And we don't know exactly what the priests said to Henry Scott. He would be really really need to know how the how that conversation went, but he did talk to Scott and it appears that he he prevailed upon Scott to come clean, essentially, and Scott eventually he as a result of this. He I don't know his motives precisely. But he came around and he did confess to the murders, and again his his story was evasive again, and nobody, nobody really believed that he could be that he was telling the truth about how it actually happened. But he did come around and he said Adams and Sawyer in fact, were not involved in the murders. He said, I did the murders myself. So when when Scott did that, it's it immediately brought renewed hope to Adams. Adams and Sawyer, but they were still under sentence of death, and they were only a few weeks away being hanged. So their attorneys then went in overdrive and they started a new legal proceeding to try to try to save their lives.
Speaker 3: To save their lives, there was you say, they had a petition, but they had to speak to the President of the United States, Teddy Theodore Roosevelt. So tell us about this journey to be able to achieve this, what happens along the way, Well.
Speaker 5: That is true, and Barret might. Of course, it was a federal case, so clemency was in the hands of the president, who was of Theodore Roosevelt at the time. Roosevelt, who Frankie had never been known as being particularly friendly towards towards African Americans or civil rights issues in general. But his attorneys, you know, like I said, they really went into overdrive and they prepared an clemency petition that was signed by some of the some of the most influential folks in Wilmington's political and financial communities, including the very head ring leader of the insurrection. His name was Albert Moore Waddell, and this is a really infamous name in North Carolina days because he's now known as the man who back in eighteen ninety eight, he gave a speech that inspired the insurrection. In the riot and I'll give you the quote, although it is kind of shocking, he said, we were we will take over the city, even if we have to choke the kpe Fier River with Negro carcasses, which is a very crude thing to say. And it resulted in, as I said, about sixty people being shot dead in the streets. But Alfred More Waddell, who gave that speech and became the mayor of Wilmington as a result of the insurrection, he actually signed the clemency petition for Sawyer at Adams, which was really astounding to me. I was very surprised when I saw that. And it took a lot of It took a lot of cajoling and some personal visits from the attorneys and several other people who were influential in Wilmington at the time. They met with Theodore is Well, and it took him several months to come around, but he did. He commuted the sentences of Adams and Sawyer commuted them from death to life in prison. Mister Scott meanwhile, had actually been his death sentence had been carried out. He was hanged in he it was a pretty pretty dramatic scene. In fact, he uh, just a few hours before he was hanged, he finally put his put his signature on the written confession, which exonerated out of Sawyer. So it was the timing was just about as close as you could you could make it right.
Speaker 3: So now they avoid being executed. What they go to prison these guys and you you titled this chapter the Gates of Hell. But this is a federal penitentiary or a federal prison, so it's better than if it were a state penitentiary. So you described some of the what you would call the gates of Hell.
Speaker 5: Well, it's uh, it's kind of in the eye of the beholder. They were sent to the Federal prison in Atlanta, which was, you know, we've we can see pictures of it now. It was a big stone forbidding looking fortress type of type of building which had been had been built just recently. And you'd have to imagine that the condition there could not have been great for especially for these three black guys who had been as you know, as I said, convicted of killing white men. And this is this is arguable one way or the other, but you know, the conditions, as tough as they were, they probably were better than if they had been sent to something like a chain gang working on a working on roads or working in a cotton field in North Carolina. But again that's again that's that's debatable about which it's worse. But one advantage is that because they were in the federal prison system, everywhere they went and everything they did was actually document in the in the prison files and port files, which I was I count myself fortunate that I was able to find them, because they're still in the National archives these days, and I was able to find the letters that they wrote and who they communicated with. And because of that, I know that even though they were even though they were in prison, they didn't give up on the possibility of proving their innocence and they kept it up, and they communicated with folks at Wilmington who were friendly with them, and they worked really hard to get a second presidential clemency proceeding.
Speaker 3: And how do they do that? And who are some of the or one of the allies in this fight.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't want to give everything away at this point, but I will tell you that there was a just a really just a chance encounter Adamson Sawyer. They made the acquaintance of a fellow named Henry Warner, who was a well known stage actor in the United States and Prenti in England also because that's where he was from originally. And this mister Warner, for reasons that are not entirely clear, he was he was really active in the prison reform movement back in those days. He was sort of like a sort of a celebrity activist in a way. But he somebody, somebody introduced him to the fact that these two guys, Adams and Sawyer, were serving a life prison prison term for murders that they apparently didn't commit. And so eventually mister Warner decided that he was gonna he was going to take an interest in their case. And he had he had money at his disposal, and he had attorneys that he was working with, and so mister Warner sent his attorneys down down to Atlanta to meet with these guys and collect evidence and uh, basically spearhead a second a second clemency edition which they directed to William Howard Taft, who was who succeeded Theodore Roosevelt as at president.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Just a little bit of trivia here is that Henry Warner he was back in the back in the nineteen tens nineteen ten. Around that time he was known for known for his stage work, but he continued acting in the silent film era and uh, you know later in the nineteen thirties and forties. He also had a role in the well known movie Is a Wonderful Life by Frank Capra. And I don't want to give it all away, but if you look, uh, if you watch that movie, you know, like we all do it Christmas very often. If you see in credits Henry Warner you'll you'll recognize the name and you'll see him there.
Speaker 3: We don't want to give too much away what happened in their fight to be able to be released from prison. So let's jump ahead to the to the movie and in its relation to any kind of fact.
Speaker 5: Well, there was there was a film version of this story that made of nineteen fifties. It was a film called The Decks Ran Read. It was made in nineteen fifty eight, and it was when the filmmakers did it, they said it was a true story. It was based upon the mutiny on board then Harry A. Berwin. But I have to tell you that they really butchered the history to a large extent. The movie was, you know, it had potential. I mean it was. It was fairly big budget production and it had it had some pretty prominent actors in it. James Mason was in it and Dorothy Dandridge, who was a emerging as one of the one of the better known actresses of the day. But they just they changed all the details of the case. Whereas the actual actual case occurred on board of the sailing vessel in the year nineteen oh five, they updated the story to take place on a on a ship in the present day being the nineteen fifties, and had it take place in the Pacific Ocean off off New Zealand on board a liberty ship that had a crew of thirty people on it, which was completely different from what actually happened. And I mentioned Dorothy Dandridge. She was one of the stars of the movie, and she was she played this sort of sort of exotic, sexually alluring New Zealand Maori character who played the role of the temptress temptress, and it added a whole bunch of romantic tension in the story, whereas there were no there were no women on either of those ships in the real story, so that was completely embedded. I had to guess that when the filmmakers wrote the street play, they were probably basing it on some some detected stories that were written for magazines back in the nineteen thirties that really that were ostensibly based on the on the true story, but they embellished a lot of details. But anyway, this film that they made in the nineteen fifties did not do well. It was a critical disappointment and a commercial plot. People just thought it was laurid. It was over dramatic, and it was just kind of silly, which is it's regretful because it really did not do justice in the history of the events at all. And that's really my purpose in writing this book is to go back and really really document the events as they occurred, because I think in this case, truth is much more interesting than the fiction.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second for these commercial messages.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky?
Speaker 1: In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really, yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: I never win?
Speaker 2: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landsloughts dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 5: No, we're just necessary.
Speaker 1: What we're gont my long eighteen plus terms conditions plus you what taking against?
Speaker 3: When you talked about the events, the incredible events with the white supremacists in eighteen ninety eight in Wilmington, and then interestingly in nineteen oh five, as you write that some people that were responsible for this insurgency then coming to the aid at least somewhat of these black people that were accused of murder, you said, it really was people going against type in this. But as time progressed as well, it seemed that I wouldn't say a dramatic change, but there were changes in the attitude and in society in general that would seem to have helped the future of Adams and his partner Sawyer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the theory for they were again not to give too much away, but I can tell you that they were released from prison. That happened in nineteen twelve, after they had then they'd served more than six years behind bars, and they actually moved to New York where they took they had jobs with mister Wardour and his attorney, the guys had who had been so influential in getting them getting clemency right entirely clear on where they went to that Unfortunately, the record kind of the records sort of sort of go cold on where they moved to and where they live after that, but we know they got out of they got out of prison. And it's again, I mean, I just have to say that it really was a striking turn of events for that for that time period. We might ask, you know, why why did these people act against type? Why did they Why why did they put forth so much effort to correct this injustice? Why did they why did they work in favor of these black guys who had been accused of murdering white people. Yet you might you might be tempted to say, well, it was just it was all altruistic on their part, or they just felt it was appropriate to you know, be be kind and merciful and so forth. I suspect it's also because by nineteen oh five and nineteen ten, just you know, Jim Crow by that time had become so entrenched and white supremacy had been so well established in the South that the white establishment by that time really didn't did not feel that they were under threat in any way. They were firmly in control, and so you know, maybe they could they could afford to be to be merciful in a few cases like this sort of as a as a means of maybe trying to be benevolent and trying to express a sense of nobless oblige in a few a few cases like that. So it might be it might be tempting to overstate, you know, whether this, whether this really reflects any type any kind of benevolence on their part. But you know, if nothing else, you know, the reason I wrote this book is to, you know, provide a sense of hope, because here's a case of the case that occurred in the very worst of times, in the very worst of places as far as race relations, and how the very worst of times as far as race relations are concerned. And here's a case where despite all of the bad history and all of the bad demographics and the bad racial dynamics, justice was actually able to prevail in a sense. So in these days, especially when we hear we hear nothing but nothing in the media except in your pessimism about race relations and oppression, marginalization of white supremacy and so forth. Well, times were a lot worse back then, and even then it was possible for justice prevailed. So if there's any message that I'm trying to convey with this book, then that would be that would be it that things were it was possible for things to turn out well, even in far worse times.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting to talk about altruism and ulterior motives. There was and we didn't talk about it, but in your book you chronicled this very exciting surprise intervention for financial reasons tied to the burwind along the way. And what's interesting is a testament to that the media and other people involved could see through this seemingly transparent attempt to hijack this what the proceedings were going well on behalf of Adams and Sawyer.
Speaker 5: Well, that's true. I mean the whole the whole seven year dram legal drama was just filled with up and downs. It was like a roller coaster. And there were several times when Adams and Sawyer felt like they really were making progress, that they were gonna that they were going to get out of prison. And there were also a couple of times when the ship owners they tried to intervene in the case again and they tried to make up a new story about how, for example, they had been they had been threatened by Adams and Sawyer about that they supposedly had made threats that if they got out of prison, they were going to hunt down and try to assassinate the fellows who owned the ship. And again I think they probably did that just through their own financial selfishness. They didn't want to take a chance on them getting out of prison because it might cost them money. They'd have to pay pay off their insurers or have to pay those salvage fees that I mentioned earlier. And it was just just a very very transparent, very really really cruel thing for them to do at that stage. But fortunately, fortunately, as you said, the courts were able to able to see through it.
Speaker 3: It's interesting too, when you talk about the employment after they were released, and you mentioned that the attorney Roundtree and Popshaw they're employing them, one of them employing Adams to be his personal valet and the other one working in the law offices. And again testament to saying to anyone that would look at this, saying, we trust these people enough to work with us and around us, and even in fact let one of them go and make a deposit at a bank. So a very striking difference from the time that they were convicted.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's true. And you know when the you know, I know about this really from the newspaper accounts that were written at the time, and it's again you have to cringe a little bit when you when you read the language that the journalists use back then, because it's it's all very very paternalistic, and even when you see that it was written with the best of intentions. But they talked about how Adam and Sowry went to work for their saviors and their benefactors yea. And they were quoted to say how grateful they were for the intervention of mister Warner and his attorney, and how they were going to pledge their lives to upright living and so forth, and it's just you get the sense, of course they were expected to be deferential, and they were expected to show gratitude and to be essentially they were expected to be lifelong servants of these guys because they had done this then great and done them this great, great favor and so forth. And then again that's a little bit a little bit cringe. But the language of the of the news reports is still, you know, steeped in racial racial prejudice to that extent. But at the same time, there's no denying that the outcome was really really exceptional and completely unexpected and positive in the end.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and historic as well, very much so, and does something to I guess downplay or diminish somewhat again, just somewhat the events of eighteen ninety eight and further on as well.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no sugarcoating it happened in eighteen ninety eight. But at the very least, I mean this is this story is a you might call it sort of a flickering candle in the darkness. It's an example of how given a given an exceptional confluence of circumstances may given the fact that this was a federal case, and because it was a case where the President had a chance to weigh in, and Alfred clemency and frankly because the court procedures were taken more seriously because it was a federal case, and also given the fact that I think this is also important, the victims in the case, the men who were killed, they were not they were not Wilmington natives. They didn't have families who lived in that area, and they didn't have they didn't have friends were serving on the juries. I mean, if that if that had been the case, then I'm not sure that the reporters in Wilmington would have been as willing to be discerning and listen to the descimote as clearly and point out the weaknesses in the prosecution case and so forth. But these these guys Adams and Sawyer, I mean, as unlucky as they were to have been on board that ship serving Henry Scott, I mean, they were fortunate in a number of other ways that they were able to gain favor among so many people in Wilmington, and people in Wilmington were willing to listen to them and believe in them. That was very, very lucky and very unusual.
Speaker 3: And you also write though that there's an important letter written to a very important figure that plays into this. And as you say that that letter was typewritten, so someone someone that was a supporter at that prison likely helped in that. At the end of the book, you talk about when you and your brother were young and you became acquainted with the story of Sted Bonnett, which who was a pirate just a mile from Cape Fear River. Tell us why you included this little bit of a story and all the help that you had to be able to put this credible story together.
Speaker 5: Well, I grew up in North Carolina. I've lived here all my life, and when when I was a child and you know, even out you know, my family, we all we usually spent a good portion of our summers down in uh down in Brunswick County along the beaches near Southport, because that's that's been one of our favorite vacation spots over the years. And you know, one of the for tourists who you know, spend time around Southport. You know, one of the one of the notable, you know, historical tie ins that people associated with Southport is the pirates. It used to be a hunting ground with pirates vaguely the early early seventeen hundreds and so forth, and that's just that's just really neat. It's one of those one of those interesting cultural things that cultural tie ins and people associated with the area. And you know, when I was a kid, you know, I thought pirate stories were really cool, and so I became familiar with with some of those as I was growing up, and later on I came across this particular story sort of by accident. This is my second book, and after I finished my first one, I knew that I wanted to write another another true crime book, and it wouldn't I'd like to focus on the area that I know best, which is eastern North Carolina, and so I came across this story sort of by accent. I came across a historical review article that was written about it back in twenty fourteen, which covered the basic details of the trials and Adams Sawyer and Scott and so forth, and I was really amazed that nobody had ever written a definitive book about it yet. And so that's what I resolved to do, because it was right up my alley, you might.
Speaker 3: Say, absolutely, well, congratulations on Ship of Blood, Thank you so much for this interview. Ship of Blood, Mutiny and Slaughter aboard the Harry A. Berwind and the Quest for Justice Charles Oldham. For those they might want to take a look at this, is there an Amazon page, Facebook or website that it might take a look?
Speaker 5: Well, actually, the best way to order a copy is to order directly from my publisher great and that website, well, my publisher is known as Beach Glass Books, and the website is www dot beach Glass book all one word each class books dot com and they are based in Richmond, Virginia. And if for anyone who's interested in copy, that's the recommendation that I make is to order directly from my publisher.
Speaker 3: Well that's fantastic. Thank you so much. Thank you so much, Charles Oldham, Ship of Blood, Mutiny and Slaughter aboard the Harry A.
Speaker 5: Berwin.
Speaker 3: It's been fascinating interview. Thank you so much. You have a great evening.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I'm honored that you see you for having.
Speaker 3: Me, Thank you so much. Good night,