Speaker 1: Hello Andrew, Welcome to Reality TV Cringe as we are here to talk sister was honey. We are launching ourselves straight into season ten and what a hard launch for the Catfish. It was. Yeah. Now, before we get into it, we do you have to warn you to please how'd your wife?
Speaker 2: If you're hat those little kids.
Speaker 1: At home in the closet, this isn't irreverent podcast. We're stupid. Yeah, we say dumb things, we use swear words and everything, and so if.
Speaker 2: You're a sensity, the same for you.
Speaker 1: You might want to find yourself another dumpster. But if you're ready to bring doctor Nancy into the dumpster so we can listen to Mary l about the Catfish, then welcome to this dumpster.
Speaker 3: And if you like what we do over here, please be sure to follow us on Instagram at reality tv Grunch and join us on Patreon, Patreon, dot com, sash reality tv Grunch just where you get access to all of our bonus content, all of our weekly episodes add free and it's just the best way to support us.
Speaker 1: It really is. Now. If you are watching on YouTube, please do not forget to like and comment and share on subscribe and also get up off your booties and give your girls a high. Please get in the pit and try to love someone. Every single thing you do helps us in the algo allegedly, and so thank you.
Speaker 3: In he thinks.
Speaker 1: Now, I do have to say that I was noticing that our last Sister Wives video was hyped up. Yeah, we have like one hundred and eighty five thousand hype points. Oh my gosh, we've got a little bit of a raccoon army out there that's willing to do the tough things.
Speaker 2: We appreciate that so much.
Speaker 1: I was really happy. So thank you, guys. Thanks. Now, before we get into it, I just I do have to ask you, Beatrice, whether you had any thoughts or any feelings after watching this episode.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of thoughts and I had a lot of feelings tell us about But we'll get to the catfish part later. My takeaway is going to be good. It's gonna be angelic this week. Little baby Soul and Truly are so cute.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Truly is so annoying.
Speaker 2: She's adorable. She's only four.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you are not. She's not a door. She's she's always putting her hands on him and screaming in his face.
Speaker 2: She's a little kid.
Speaker 1: She's annoying. She's sorry, I'm just kissed annoying to me. I thought they were okay. I have a takeaway, and I just want to say that I was filled with rage flames the side of my face because the audacity of the Browns, and in particular Mary and these lying who lie. All they do is lie. I had to stop the episode midwatch and like go on Google and through the archives, and I thought to myself, hey, I think there are some actual recordings out there of Mary and her various and sundry conversations with the catfish Sam. And sure enough there were Reddit posts. And then you sent me a link to the actual recordings of Mary leaving messages for Sam slash Jackie, in which she is completely in love with Sam. She is talking about how handsome he is and how passionate they are together, and how much she's so much more handsome than Cody. And so then after I listened to the messages, I turned the episode back on and I watched the scene where they're having a family meeting and she's making herself out to be a victim and look, we're going to talk about it at the time, but like you, I know, they lie so much, they're so dis they can't tell the truth for anything, and it was really pressing me off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was getting pissed off, specifically when Nancy came into the picture and we're having this family discussion about it and Mary's just like crying and talking about how she's.
Speaker 1: Been a bull I was targeted. They sought me out.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I shouldn't laugh at that.
Speaker 1: They're verbally abusing me, and they're bugging my house and stuff like that. The only way Jackie could have bugged your house is if you invited her into your house. Yeah, right, so why are you inviting these people into your house? But like, nobody's asking these really fundamental, easy questions. The only person who was dubious and not buying Mary's bullshit was Cody. Yeah, which was interesting is Cody, And I'm like, come on, Cody. And actually Robin was the one who called it an affair and at the end of the episode, and I know I'm skipping ahead, but I was so triggered. At the end of the episode, Mary's like all they can say is like, I'm here, I didn't have an affair, and I'm strong, like.
Speaker 3: When in the voicemail, She's literally like, I love you. I love you.
Speaker 1: So I love you, I love you, I love you, I fucking love you. I'm like, Mary, you absolutely had an emotional affair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just call it what it is.
Speaker 1: Robin did. I wonder what she thought when she saw that back, because that was an interstitial that Robin gave.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so I'm jumping ahead. I was just angry and I'm putting it out there without further ado. Let's get into our recap of Sister Wives Season ten, episode one, and Tato Tote.
Speaker 3: Catfishing Fallout dun And this was a really long episode and it was filled with a lot of like filler at the beginning, Like we'll kind of skim through some of it because it.
Speaker 1: Was quite frankly Boro.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we have a few things going on. We obviously have the aftermath of the catfish because at the time, after especially after like the tell all and everything this was in the new was in the tabloids. I'm sure Mary's photos got leaked. I'm sure the voicemails and stuff got leaked at the same time. So like a lot of it was coming out, they obviously had to do some damage control, So we kind of talk about it at the beginning of the episode a little bit about how Mary you know, wanted to tell the family in Alaska, but then decided halfway through telling them that it wasn't the good, the best time to tell them, so she gave him like a half baked, you know, confession, and then after they filmed, then she told the family privately. They were all shocked about it, but you know, we'll talk about that later. Right now, we got to focus on the fact that Maddie is moving out. She is getting a rental up in Montana, which is where Caleb is at at the time. He's working there, and she wants everybody to know she's not moving in with Caleb. Sure, jam but she totally is absolutely moving in with him, and she ultimately gets engaged. In this episode, we get the announcement of her getting engaged, and it's sweet and they're in love and like whatever, but she's like ready to leave. Oh yes, like coming home for like a week and then packs up all her shit and she's like, I'm ready to bout bye.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought that it was interesting that her best friend and I'm skipping ahead a little bit because they go out to dinner with her best friend Desi, and Cody of course has to insinuate himself into the dinner because it was a dinner for Desi to actually meet me Caleb. But Cody's there, Christine's there, and Janelle's there, and anyway, Desi says at some point something like, well, yeah, she's been talking about you for three years. Three years, three years, so I think right here, Maddie is nineteen years old. Yeah, she's only been to college for one year, so she's dropping out of college, I do believe, because she was going to college in Utah. Now she's moving up to Billings, Montana. She's been talking to him for three years, so since she's sixteen years old, according to Desi, and that's when Caleb was twenty six or twenty seven. So I know Caleb's great. I know they're happy. In the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty six, more power to them. They got four kids and everything. But you can't tell me that's not weird. You can't tell me that's not grooming or something. If he was talking to her for three years. And then they kind of talk about how they had spent a night when they first met up on a mountain with the four wheeler talking and so was Mattie sixteen years old when that happened. Was Caleb twenty six? I don't know. It's just gross.
Speaker 3: Well, and did you notice that when Desi brought that up, like she's been talking about him for three years, Maddie's like, no, no, no, it was like two years. So if she is nineteen at the time of this recording, that would put her at seventeen talking about him. So she's like trying to skirt it a little bit. Yes, And it's like, okay, let's just call it as it is. It's weird to me. And it's also crazy that the family is like so gung ho and so supportive about it, like they're not even and I because they like Caleb. They think that he's a good guy.
Speaker 1: It's also part of their culture to marry children. Totally, so totally. I mean, I know they deny this, but I'm talking about like Mormonism and fundamentalist Mormonism, and they are fundamentalist Mormons. It is part of their culture to exploit children. Well in this way.
Speaker 3: I was also thinking about Michelty and Tony because I know that with Mannye and Caleb. They want to get married right away. They get engaged and they want to get married less than a year out in June or whatever. I know that Tony and McKelty start having a relationship pretty quickly right around this time, and then McKelty also wants to get married pretty close to Madison because she's kind of competing with her and she wants the attention or whatever. But I remember the episodes where mckelti's introducing Tony and her relationship with him, and everybody's like, not supportive. They don't like Tony, right, And I just think that's kind of fucked up. Like, so we're really happy that Madison's dating a thirty year old dude and like he probably groomed her allegedly or whatever. But when we have Tony and michelt then it's like, you guys are too young. I remember Christine's like, you're too young, you're rushing it, you don't know if you like him or whatever, And I just think that that's so lame.
Speaker 1: Well yup, and we have to ask ourselves the question, is it because McKelty is the black sheep and maybe she's a bit more childlike and is this an actual protective instinct for Christine and Cody or is it because they're racist maybe, or is it because, like a lot of us, when we first met Tony, we did not like him because he was strange. Look sure, she's very strange, look yes, but he was also very tat told too money and this and that. This is why we call him too many tacos Tony, because he's asking for a lot and not giving much in return. So we were put off by him. But when you do compare it to Caleb and Maddie, it seems quite unfair.
Speaker 3: And it's like you cannot like your kid's significant other or like not prefer them or whatever. And I get that that's fine, but it's the fact that they just like weren't even supportive of the relationship in general that I'm just like, okay, but we're fine with nineteen year old Mattie right marrying a thirty year old Okay, whatever, because they're in love, and because more importantly, Cody loves Caleb, and like that's a theme for the first half of this episode, is like Cody obsessed with Caleb, Like Maddie comes home to visit and also pack up all our shit so she can move to Montana, and then Caleb joins with his big old truck, and Cody's like, man, I love your big old truck, and like, can I drive up in the truck with you and hang out with you on the drive. I know that you want to like be with my daughter like any normal boyfriend, but you know, can I drive in the truck with you and talk with you and have some man time?
Speaker 2: And like everybody in.
Speaker 3: The family is talking about how obsessed Cody is with Caleb and how they think that maybe Caleb's just being nice to him and probably doesn't like him. It's just weird to me me too, the blanket support and everything. But I also thought it was interesting how like Cody was kind of sentimental, like really sentimental with Maddie in particular, and how Christine made a comment about how Maddie had always been a daddy's girl and you know, Cody was her rock and now he flashed forward to twenty twenty six and she's like no contact with him and calling him a narcissist and that sucks, man, It's really shitty. But I liked some of the moments with Cody just being really sweet with Madison and how he wants to be involved in like the wedding venue process and like planning her wedding, and when she's moving out, Robin wants to give her her broken down, krusty ass old couch, and Cody wants to fix it for Maddie right away before they pack it up because he doesn't want to send her home with a shitty couch.
Speaker 1: It feels genuine, right, Yeah, like a dad, which is so strange. It's super Usually it's all for the cameras and maybe there's some of that as well, but he does seem to have a particular affection for Maddie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: It's sad how it's devolved to the point where he's no contact with her and no contact with the majority of his og children. But like, I don't know, looking back on it, I know we hate Cody, I know he's a monster or whatever, but there's like these little glimmers where I'm like, well, he did love his kids at one point, yes, you know, And so that's kind of the first portion of the episode is Maddie moving out and she's in love with Caleb or whatever, and then you know, Robin's big and pregnant and she's getting an ultrasound to make sure her baby's in the right position.
Speaker 1: Did you see her stretch marks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm just going to point it out every time it comes up, because Robin made that iconic statement about how Cody was such a good man because he loved the OG three even though they were out of shape and had stretch marks. But you know, when she lifts her shirt and we do the ultrasound, we see a bunch of stretch marks there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we're gonna body shame the other women, right, But you have stretch marks too, And Cody doesn't care no obviously, But she's checking out on her baby, and she's like moving stuff around at her house that way some baby can share rooms. And it's just like every time there's a segment that's like focused on Robin, I just don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: I go, I go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Dimensionally, it's like I can't feel anything for her other than hatred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were moments in this episode where I wondered as well whether she was being genuine, particularly with her support for Mary. Uh huh. So, I mean I think she's still somewhat human in these earlier seasons, but she's definitely tipping over into gargoyle.
Speaker 3: Litt Yeah, and like, you know, we've talked at length about the theory of like was Robin planning from the very beginning? Did she start planning after the legal divorce? Like when did her devilishness take over? And I don't know if you support the idea that maybe Robin wasn't evil from the very beginning. I could see how watching this back, maybe this was like the point with the catfishing, where like Robin started to crystallize into her demonic form because she realized, like, oh, everybody here's fucked up. Let me manipulate the situation even more to make sure I secure my empire and secure my dragon hoard, and I can live. I can live my life with my knee in, you know, Because there were some moments too that I was thinking, hmm, maybe you are a little human, I don't know, yeah, or maybe this is just pregnancy Robin hormonal, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, can't help but have a little empathy. I'm not sure. And that's the sad part is that we can't be sure we really based on what we've seen in later seasons, she's so terrible.
Speaker 2: She is really really awful and so fake, Like.
Speaker 1: How do you get that terrible? If that wasn't inside you all the whole time?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Was there anything else at the beginning of this episode before we get to the catfish conversation, I mean.
Speaker 1: We did travel up to Billings. We moved Maddie into her very small home. It was very cute. As soon as I saw it, I'm like, Caleb's going to live there with you? Totally. I think y'all are banging.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask about that because I'm like, yeah, y'all are fuck I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, if he's twenty six and talking to a sixteen year old, you have to ask yourself why, what's the impulse and the instinct. It's probably sexual in nature. I would not be a bit surprised. I would imagine that they're boinkin' for surely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But Maddie wants us to know that she's not moving in with Caleb. He's got his own place down the street or something.
Speaker 1: Right, because a producer actually asks her directly, like is Caleb going to live with you? And she kind of smiles, She's like, oh no, no, no, not all he is. Yeah, they're having sex totally. They're fucking hardcore. I can't blame him. I mean, oh, I mean he's old. But like when I was young and married when I was eighteen, your horny is when I was dating him before. I was just returned from Fiji on a mission, not a Mormon mission but an Evangelical mission and.
Speaker 2: Man making out everybody, that's right.
Speaker 1: Met my husband, my first husband, I was eighteen years old and we lived together first.
Speaker 3: And did you have sex before marriage like a heathen?
Speaker 1: I sure did a lot. I was my Samoan husband. Honey. Yeah, it's a long story.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've told them this story. We won't probably not.
Speaker 1: We could, but I mean not now. Maybe at some point maybe on Patreon. Yeah, they did have a first husband that I married at a very young age, and he was a Samoan man. Yeah, the Rock.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of firsts with him.
Speaker 1: I did he did anyway?
Speaker 2: Anyway, the Catfish. So back in Vegas, Yes, after.
Speaker 3: We've moved Maddie into her house with her living boyfriend to a.
Speaker 1: Fan who's grown a doll, a grown thirty year old man, right.
Speaker 3: We returned back home and we congregate at Mary's sad, dour house with her ugly furniture terrible, and all of the family, like all of the adults come over along with Nancy the.
Speaker 2: Therapist to have a very in depth discussion.
Speaker 1: What good is she? I mean, I know we're about to get into the scene, but like, what does she contribute? She's a horrible She just taking fucking notes, that's all she's doing. She's terrible.
Speaker 2: And she sat down.
Speaker 3: I literally laughed out loud because she's like, so tell me, I don't tell me about the catfish Mary. And then it's just like a conversation between the five adults and she's just sitting there observing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you're no doctor.
Speaker 1: Orna, no, and we're not trying to get into the truth of what actually happens so that we can heal this family. You're just a production plant helping them to whitewash this entire situation and continue to lie. Great job, Nancy the therapist.
Speaker 3: She doesn't do anything therapeutic at all, Like she doesn't challenge anybody, She doesn't ask anybody to like reevaluate their perspective on it. Like she just sits there and is like validating everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how were you not challenging Mary in this moment. It's maybe it's something you would do in individual therapy, but y'all chose to sit down, the five of you in front of Nancy, and you're just going to let Mary lie anyway, I'm jumping ahead, go on, girl.
Speaker 3: Well, we start off with Mary again talking about how she had planned to tell the family about what was happening in Alaska, and then when she had sat down at the dinner table or whatever at that restaurant, she started talking to them and then realized that it wasn't the best time to ruin this beautiful vacation by talking about her online affair, and so she kind of skirted around it, didn't tell them until after everybody was super shocked, and Mary to the camera says, there were a lot of details that I revealed to the family that were very, very shocking to them, and I know that there's a lot of her feelings.
Speaker 2: So we got to talk about it.
Speaker 3: And like again, the way that we introduce it with Nancy there is victimizing Mary about how she was taken advantage of. We hear from Robin on the Couch a lot a lot actually with her commentary about how they were all very hurt and betray you and felt like this was a big shock. Robin is the one, like you said, who uses the word affair, and she says that that was her first impression of this whole situation, but then as she learned more about it, she realized that Mary was abused.
Speaker 1: Did she even say that? Did she negate the affair? I think she did?
Speaker 3: Did? She was like it, I realized it wasn't that. Yeah, But I'm like, okay, I know you and Cody are talking about it as if it's an affair.
Speaker 1: We know you've deployed Kendra to be in the middle of the cat fish situations, so you and Cody have been on this the entire time.
Speaker 3: And what's crazy is Mary in this episode was saying that she told the whole family together after the Alaska trip, but then with Nancy, Nancy asks Mary, when did you finally decide to come clean and tell everybody the truth? Mary says, well, actually I told only Robin first. Because the family was again at another family trip for Hunter. I think it was some like ceremony for him or whatever, and they were all staying in hotels and Mary went into Robin's hotel room and broke down sobbing and told her everything, and then they told the rest of the family.
Speaker 1: So I just don't know when the family actually knew. And that's kind of what's driving me a little crazy because I've felt in Alaska like they all knew already.
Speaker 3: It kind of felt like that a little bit, but the way that Mary was saying it was like she wasn't telling him the whole truth. And we kind of talked about that last week about how the way it was framed and filmed in Alaska felt like she wasn't saying what it actually was.
Speaker 2: Like she was just saying, I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 1: And wouldn't everybody like say something about that, Like right, I would stop what I'm doing, would put my fork down, like what do you mean you're gonna leave? Like we're a family, what are you talking about? Nobody did that. This is why I think they already knew about it, that this is just them trying to rugsweep.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of this is damage control and like them trying to keep everything together because they don't want to lose their TLC contract, not like they would.
Speaker 2: Because TLC feeds off of this shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they love the family destruction narrative.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I bet the ratings were great during the Catfish. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: We got a couple comments on Patreon saying that, like the Catfish was what actually saved the show because the show was so fucking boring, and like you guys know from our recaps of season nine, for the majority of it, it was hell boring, Like there wasn't a lot of substance there, so, like I could see even back then people seeing like who even watches the show?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Who even cares about these people? But then the Catfish comes out and ratings are skyrocketing, so I don't know who knows when the family actually found out the truth about this whole thing. I think you're right. Mary was probably forced to have this conversation. I think a lot of this was like damage control, just trying to protect the narrative because, you know, we get into it and Robin says, you know, I realized that it wasn't an affair. I'm paraphrasing. I realized it wasn't an affair. Mary was being emotionally blackmailed, and then we have this whole like thing from Mary about I'm threatening and it was abused, and it was scary. I was trying to protect everybody.
Speaker 1: Anytime I wanted to be with my family, they got so upset. So I had to isolate myself in a top with a banana. I have no other choice. Meanwhile, you listen to these recordings, Mary is drunk off her ass, like two am in her haunted house, talking about how much she loves Sam. So she's drinking, she's internet whuring, and we're supposed to just sit here. I mean, I'm sure if the audience says listened to that, we're just supposed to sit here and listen to you. Lie. Mary, Such a fucking liar, dude.
Speaker 3: Literally, the only kernel of truth in terms of like Mary saying she was taken advantage of is the fact that this was a catfish. This was a woman who had a blog who was like cataloging all of this stuff to kind of I don't know what her motivation was for catfishing Mary in this way, but like just you know, cataloging everything and then exposing her like that. Yeah, that sucks, Sure, that's exploitative totally. I kind of wonder though, whether Jackie, the real catfish, actually had feelings for Mary like actually wanted to pursue it or something, because she did meet Mary a couple of times.
Speaker 2: They took fucking photos together.
Speaker 1: I think she let Jackie into her house. Yeah, so I think Jackie was maybe into her, but yeah, she was keeping records.
Speaker 3: And so that's shitty. Yeah you know, but but you're a TV personality.
Speaker 1: You walked right into it, dummy, and that's my thing. You took pictures, you left messages, that's my thing. How are you this dumb? Like you did twenty fifth days?
Speaker 3: You did all this and like Mary to the family with Nancy is saying shit like I had to withdraw from the family because I was afraid and this person was threatening me and abusing me and being very verbally like mean to me, and I was worried about what they would do to our family. I was worried about what they would do to our business. Like she was like saying all of these things as reasonings for not hanging out with the family, not seeing the kids, not being friends with Robin essentially, But those voicemails that you can still listen to on YouTube, it's crazy, like you were just going going home and sexting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jackie, you were on the phone all the time. Your other sister wives noticed it, and Cody starts talking about how he would come over and she was on the phone the entire time. She was making friends on social media, and Cody was like, I think you should be careful. But Mary was not listening to Cody, And incidentally, I think Leon at the same time was telling their mother, like, you shouldn't be talking to this person. And Leon knew at the time that Mary was absolutely engaging in an emotional affair and tried to tell Mary that, but Mary didn't listen to Leon either, And so Cody is trying to advocate for himself and say something like, well, but I was here and you turned me away and you didn't want to spend time with me. Is that because you had feelings for this person? And I hate to how Mary dances around this, because she says at some point something like, well, you know, he did say that Sam the Catfish, he did say that he had love for me. And Janelle tries to help her here and says, oh, gosh, that must have been so strange for you and uncomfortable, and Mary's like, no, no, no, I mean I was flattered, but she doesn't say what we hear in the recordings, which is that she loved Sam too and she was all in at the time. She just dances around it and tries to frame it as her being lonely, all alone once Leon went away to college, and Mary's in this haunted house all by herself. She doesn't have any friends, even though in season twenty and in season nineteen we see all the friends that she used to have in Vegas. So did these people know? Like I don't know? But she tries to frame it as she was so confused after her divorce from Quarter and it was still alone and nobody comes over and talks to me, and so I was vulnerable and they took advantage of meat. No, bitch, you had an affair.
Speaker 3: Because your husband sucks, like right, all of that shit is valid. It's valid feel lonely, it's valid to feel abandoned in your relationship. Because Cody did abandon her. He wasn't touching her poon any for many years prior to the catfish we know this now, and he wasn't visiting her. She kicked him out of his house. He didn't nurture their relationship at all. And even Cody says in this episode that he is at fault a little bit for this because he didn't take care of their relationship. He didn't press her when she was trying to push him away. He just let her push him away. He just didn't care about it. And he acknowledges that they were struggling for many years in their relationship and that led Mary to be very vulnerable. So, like, all those things are valid. We're not saying that like Mary wasn't mistreated here, it's just that Mary trying to act like this was something put upon her, like she was targeted. She literally says that to some gang stocking horde.
Speaker 2: Of people, that's what's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's not what happened, Mary. And it's so uncomfortable for you, apparently to look in on yourself and check your own character here the part of you that would be willing to have an affair on Cody. And I'm wondering how long she was talking to Sam, Like was this even before the legal divorce? When did it start exactly in terms of that timeline, I'm not sure I can tell though, Like during the adoption, during the legal marriage to Robin, Mary has already checked out totally. It feels to me like she was probably talking to Sam for a bit longer than that, Like, I just you did something very wrong, and yes, you have every reason to feel the way that you did. And she even starts to cry and says, yeah, Cody, I was really angry at you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get there.
Speaker 1: Cody's Sucksacity's a narcissist, is flamboyantly gay. I would have a problem with that as well. But like, can we talk about the part that you participated in? Can we talk about how you contribute to this fucked up relationship? Can we talk about your integrity and where it went since you've got on the phone with a banana in your mouth? No, apparently not. And this is why let me just say this. Let me just say, like anybody who's signing up for these worthy up classes or seminars or whatever, even when by season twenty when she's sitting down in the tail alls with Sukiana talking about the catfish but not owning it, she's still not owning it in twenty twenty five, twenty twenty six, and she wants to act as some sort of a mentor or guru on how to live your best life and have integrity and be healthy, Like, no, you can't do it unless you own what you did.
Speaker 3: And that's the part that's so fucking frustrating about it because you can see, you can see that she had every reason to be checked out of the marriage with this because her marriage was objectively awful. Okay, but it doesn't mean that it's okay to go online and have an emotional and lou ky sexual affair with somebody online when you're sending them dirty pictures of you suck it on a banana.
Speaker 1: They were probably masturbating on the phone, they were having phone sex.
Speaker 3: Come on and look like I love that for Mary. I want her. I want her to have like a healthy sexual relationship with somebody who cares about her, who's passionate about her whatever, and like I want her to not be with Cody. But it's the fact that this whole thing with the catfish is just framed like Mary was targeted. And it's so funny because Robin and Christine and Janelle, while they're sitting with Mary in this in this living room, are all saying, like the Mary we know would never fall for stuff like this, Like how could you be so vulnerable? How could you be so stupid, so stupid essentially to fall for shit like this. And Janelle even says that, like to the camera, like I can't believe Mary would ever fall for something like this. This is crazy to me that she would ever even believe the words coming from this person outside of our family. And Janelle just chalks it up to being naive and you know, not understanding that this could happen to their family. But they're all right, Like, Mary, how could.
Speaker 2: You fall for something like this?
Speaker 3: This is honestly stupid, And like I get it, you're vulnerable, you're lonely or whatever, but just have the courage, yes to say, you know what, Cody, our marriage sucks because you suck and you haven't loved.
Speaker 1: And I suck too, and I said too. Throughout this relationship, I did a lot of things wrong. And I understand why you feel estranged from me, and I feel a stranged from you exactly.
Speaker 3: So like, let me leave peacefully. I'll still be a part of the family as a friend or whatever, but like I'm done with you because I want to get my kuchie wet, you know, like, just have the courage to say that. But she doesn't, and that's what sucks. And to your point, the fact that she hasn't even admitted to the full extent her responsibility with this to this day, to this day, right, is even worse.
Speaker 1: And she's going to go on to have a major falling out with Leon. This and Leon confronts Mary and still Mary can't admit it.
Speaker 3: And like, watching this back, I was honestly feeling so much empathy for Leon and I was actually feeling like, yeah, no, wonder Leon was so fucking mad at Mary, Because if I was Leon, I would be just as pissed and I would be a total bitch to my mom if she was acting like this, especially if I had heard the conversations right, Like we know Leon had overheard a lot of these phone conversations with Mary, because Mary was again stupid enough to have these conversations in front of her childlife.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Mary was talking to Leon about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I could see that too, And that's gross.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's terrible.
Speaker 3: That's a terrible place to put your kid.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I just want to say again, and I've said this before, but how much more interesting would this have been if we did have the full conversation with Mary and with Cody, in which she said, yeah, I haven't had sex with my husband first seven years. At this point, like he never comes over, and I feel really lonely and I feel isolated. I don't know what I'm going to do next with my life. And yeah, I was vulnerable, but I was really looking for connection. I was really looking for companionship and the thought that this handsome businessman might be interested in me. Like I just lost my mind and I absolutely went full on into an emotional affair. And I was wrong for that. I should have had those conversations with Cody, and he should have had those conversations with me, And furthermore, we should all be having these conversations with each other instead of pretending to be this upstanding Mormon family, which we are not. Yeah, like that, to me would have been so much more interesting, and how many of us would have rallied for Mary. I would have been like, listen, that's shitty that you did that, But the way that you explain that makes me understand you and also have a lot of compassion for you. But she's so invested in her persona and how she appears to others that she's not willing to admit it, and I want wonder if she's even willing to admit it to herself.
Speaker 3: I think that's the real issue, is that she can't admit it to herself because it's so shameful. Like the act of cheating on your spouse in this way, like would be very shameful, and you would feel a lot of regret and you'd be like, why did I do that? You know, like, and I get that, and I have empathy for that, but still, it's what you did.
Speaker 2: That's just it.
Speaker 1: It's just what you did.
Speaker 2: That's it's as simple as that.
Speaker 1: M h, it's you did. And also if you want to move on into some sort of mentorship role with somebody, like it makes you have social currency and social trust when you actually divulge the things that you did incorrectly and then kind of contextualize that and like and this is how I learned, and this is how I am now doing better in my life, and this is how you can do better too. But when you can't even admit your fundamental flaws. And she does it to this day on her Instagram with all her therapy words, and she'd never says anything with all those words, you pretends she's got this great life and she's really got the key to success. No, you don't, because you cannot admit to even yourself that you had a hand in fucking this all up.
Speaker 3: And like, furthermore, what can you really learn about yourself or about your life, or about love or whatever from this situation if you can't be real about it, Like if everything in life is supposed to teach you something fundamental, like and you're supposed to gain wisdom from it, Like, you can't really gain wisdom from something that you can't admit the full truth about. Like, it's just it's weird to me. And you know, she talks about wanting to meet up with Sam slash Jackie because she had had an inkling that he was lying or whatever. She wants us to believe that that's the reason why she wanted to meet this person.
Speaker 1: To me, that you're a real person.
Speaker 3: But like the fact that you did that also behind everybody's back is crazy, because what if Sam was real, then what would you have done?
Speaker 1: She would have left immediately, she would have run off with him exactly, no questions asked, exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's weird to me that she had all these conversations, right with Jackie on the phone. And I think people have said that Jackie was like using some voice altering software or whatever. But Leon, I think was it Leon or Christine? I forget somebody had said in the family that when they had overheard the conversations, like you could tell it wasn't a man on the phone. So then Mary goes to Disneyland with Jackie aka Sam the Catfish and takes photos with this person. Yes, and like Jackie looks like a big old basbian. Okay, let's just be real, total total lesbian.
Speaker 1: What do you call them these days? A mask?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the proper term.
Speaker 1: Honest. What's the difference. I don't have any idea. Later, she's not a stud, but she's masked. She's a mask. So she's a top Okay, Like that means she's got this strap on. Yeah, okay, she's doing she's doing break it down for Mama over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay. So I'm just like wondering did she know that it was Jackie the whole time?
Speaker 2: Like was she having a list?
Speaker 3: See the question that we have their like, but I don't know the voicemails. Yeah, Mary was saying Sam so way more attractive than Cody, we'll just say that, yeah, and we'll leave it there.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just odd to me that Mary felt like it was okay. And that's crazy is if.
Speaker 1: She would have, just like I said, talked about this plainly, then we could have moved on to Cody and we could have examined what was going on with Cody to put Mary in this kind of vulnerable situation where she can be predated upon by somebody who's out here trying to explain her. But because she's covering it up, because everyone at the time knew she was lying. And I'm talking about the dumpster and I'm talking about the audience, like we all knew she was lying. It's clear that she's lying.
Speaker 2: We heard the recordings.
Speaker 1: Now we're focused on you and how much you suck, And now we're gonna focus on you and Leon and your terrible relationship because you can't bring yourself to tell the truth when we could be talking about how Cody is a terrible husband to you and to everybody else exactly, but now we can't do that, Thanks Mary.
Speaker 3: And maybe that was on purpose, Maybe they didn't want the heat to be on Cody, like maybe this was damage control for him because he was so concerned about his image, and so Mary had to take the heat for everything. I mean rightfully so because she was the one that had the affair or whatever. But like maybe that was the reason why we're focusing on Mary being a victim and Mary being targeted from this online fucking h I didn't want to I didn't want to say terrorist, but it's like right, kind of online terrorist. They called her a predator, like an online predator coming to me telling me that they loved me.
Speaker 1: Like sidebar. Do y'all know that Sam slash Jackie wrote a book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the book is called Almost Married any RII apostrophe ed.
Speaker 1: So this is written by the catfish. I think this book is still obtainable. And in this book, Sam, who again is Jackie, talks about all the conversations that he had with Mary, all the things that she said, all the things that went down. We need to get that book. We should, even if it's full of shit. I still need to read it. We can reap those recordings, don't lie. But yeah, that when I was looking it up and I was finding all this information, it took me to read it. I sent you actually a screenshot of somebody talking about something that Sam had written, either in the blog or in the book about Mary. Maybe it wasn't the Reddit one. Maybe it was the one from Instagram. I think it was without a crystal ball. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is an excerpt from the book talking about what Mary told Sam. So the excerpt reads, quote, we started talking early March, and throughout the entire affair, she told me she had stopped sleeping with him Cody, and also had actually started sleeping upstairs in the spare room because she didn't want him near her anymore. It was in May when she actually kicked him out of the house and asked him not to stay over anymore. He fought it at first, but finally agreed, and he would pop over to see her from time to time, but for the most part, they wouldn't speak or see each other for three or four days in a row. He completely gave up trying to work on it because she said he was done too. The marriage had been over for years. She told me that the last straw for her was when he took the wedding band that she gave him during their wedding ceremony and melted it down. He told her he didn't want it to be a contention point with the other wives, so he had melted it down and put into a piece of jewelry for another daughter, not her daughter. She said, she is a sentimental person and when he did that, it showed her how much the marriage meant to him, which was nothing. She said, it hurt her feelings because he could have given it back to her to hold on to for her daughter's future husband, or at least let her have it for a keepsake. That was years ago, she told me, and she told me how upsetting.
Speaker 2: It was for her, and it really hurt.
Speaker 1: So I think the reason that that's so interesting is because, of course it comes out in season nineteen and Christine is the one to divulge that Cody did in fact melt down her ring. Yes, so this is years after the catfish actually happens. So how would Sam slash Jackie have known about that unless Mary really did tell Jackie. And again, this is like a little tidbit that is in the book that maybe we will cover on Patreon because it sounds like supreme mess and I'm into it, but I'm just like going back to how stupid Mary has to be to devult this kind of truly sensitive information to someone that you've never met as far as you know, you've never physically met this person. Yes, you've talked to them, you've had mutual masturbation or whatever, but you don't know this person and you're talking about shit like this family secrets like this is just wild to me how naive you are, but also how stupid you are.
Speaker 3: And it does give credence to the fact that Mary was very vulnerable and very lonely, and obviously she didn't have anybody to talk to at this period in time of her life.
Speaker 1: But I contend that she had friends. She was talking to Jem And it's actually, why.
Speaker 3: Didn't you tell your friends, Why didn't you go over to Jen's house if you were friends with her at this period of time and like have a couple glasses of wine and cry on her shoulder like a normal person.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she did. I'm sure she had already done.
Speaker 3: That maybe, but it just shows that Mary obviously was going through a hard time, and it.
Speaker 1: Shows that she's stupid. Totally shows that she's stupid.
Speaker 3: Like why are you talking to this man that's like this handsome supermodel or whatever? And you're like thinking that he's a real person, that he's falling in love with you. Like that's crazy to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think the show Catfish on MTV was on for like four years by then. Oh yeah, at least it was in the consciousness of humans. Yeah, that this was happening all the time, all over the place. Like, yeah, you didn't think to ask the question. That's I think that's why you're sending pictures of yourself in a tub with a banana.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 1: It's local hoodie.
Speaker 2: That's like some teenage shit too, like, because I was totally doing that. I was a teenager.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was talking to people online, sure, on O Magel and like talking to total strangers and stuff. But like I also knew that they were probably not real, Like I also knew that they're probably fake ass profiles and stuff like how does a grown woman well?
Speaker 1: And Jane does address how just in terms of their faith, they're very trusting people. Yeah, I'm very naive and I'm sure sure there's something to be said for that. But also I wonder like where the arrested development started with Mary, Like, is she in her mind only fourteen years old or fifteen years old and still has all of these young girl fantasies about romance that probably did not pan out with Cody. Okay, get therapies, then.
Speaker 3: No, for real, go get therapy, get therapy, Leave your husband, have the courage to leave him because he obviously fucking sucks, and just be done with it. But that's what's crazy, is like, So after all of this happens right with the Catfish, we know that Mary is still trying to tell the family that she's loyal to them. She's still simping really hard for Cody, and she does so up until.
Speaker 2: Season nineteen, season twenty, and that's crazy.
Speaker 1: She has to be directly told by Cody multiple times by the way that he's dead, it's never gonna happen, we're never getting back together, in order for her to finally walk away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it just shows that Mary has literally no self wary and that is sad, and I do have compassion for that. I want her to get help or whatever.
Speaker 1: Sick of her.
Speaker 3: But even with like just the lack of self worse and even with her being stupid with this catfish and suck like, she still did something that was wrong.
Speaker 2: And that's like the one.
Speaker 1: She's still lying about it till today, and she's trying to be a guide to people so they could have better lives. Bitch, tell yourself the truth before you start telling me what the truth is.
Speaker 3: Damn Honestly, when we get to the episodes with Leon being pissed at Mary, I can't wait. I'm gonna be reving for Leon. I'm just gonna let you.
Speaker 1: Know, well, I saw that preview and I was like, get her lay on, like cut on.
Speaker 3: Of course Leon's fucking pissed because if Leon was actually hearing the conversations, like they know their mom's full of shit?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And I think Mary goes on like a total campaign to win Leon over. She does even has somebody else who is a victim of a catfish or the same catfish come into town and take Leon out to dinner to try and talk to Leon about how your mother was taking it fantage of and Leon's just like, don't bother me with this shit for real.
Speaker 3: It's also not Leon's problem, Like why are we involving Leon in all of this? Like when Leon is what probably eighteen nineteen at this period of time or twenty, Like, leave Leon alone, I.
Speaker 1: Do remember Leon also telling Cody very directly, like, I love you. My mom should not have done this to you. I'm on your side. Yes, that had to have hurt Mary, But Mary, you brought this on yourself. Honey. You could have handled yourself an integrity. You could have walked away first, and then you could have had any relationship that you wanted to have. But no, you did it this way, and you go without sad.
Speaker 3: And it's like, at this period of time, you still have Christine's mom, Annie living with her, and at this point in time, the whole family knows that Annie left polygamy and left her first marriage because it was so awful and terrible.
Speaker 2: So like you have an.
Speaker 3: Actual, real life example of a woman who had the courage to leave her shitty fucking marriage and live her best life and get remarried and move on from it. Like it wasn't like you were like stuck in this echo chamber, this bubble where you didn't have any example of anybody in your community leaving polygamy like you absolutely could have.
Speaker 2: And I feel like we've.
Speaker 3: Talked about it with these other rewinds in these earlier seasons, Like Cody has always said, you can leave if you want. I'm not gonna keep you here forever because I'm not this authoritative, you know, patriarch that's like locked you in a basement or whatever. Like you can leave if you want. Janelle even left the marriage or like on twice and moved out of the family, so like you could have done it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just feel like trying to presume that Mary was having some sort of crisis of faith really doesn't pan out when you listen to those recordings and how much Mary's cussing, how drunk Mary is, how she's talking out the side of her neck about her husband. Like, I don't know how much faith she had at that point. Maybe she came back to faith. And she did say at the end of the episode, like, one thing that I got out of this terrible situation in which I was targeted by gang stalkers is that it returned me to my faith to some degree.
Speaker 3: Well only because she said that Sam slash Jackie was talking about their religion right and talking shit about their faith system, and she was like, Oh, that made me question it and made me realize that I had to come back to God.
Speaker 1: Okay, are right.
Speaker 3: I feel like the reality of the situation was, Oh, maybe Sam and Jackie have a point, Maybe my religion is bullshit.
Speaker 1: I think the reality of the situation is that at this point, Mary's a fucking drunk, and Christine's on opiates, and Janelle has checked out and Robin is taking all the money. Yeah, that's the reality of the situation. But we the audience have to sit in this room with fucking Nancy talking about this made up situation, and for me, it was enraging.
Speaker 3: It was pretty raging, and it was unraging for Robin too, because she gets frustrated with Mary, and I think what she's really frustrated with is like the whole situation, Like, why are you guys doing this to me?
Speaker 2: I'm about to have a baby. It's all about me.
Speaker 1: It's about me. The focus should be on me.
Speaker 2: Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: We got my dream called to sack, my dream home. I've got my dream backyard, i got my dream.
Speaker 2: Media, full access to the LLC.
Speaker 3: Honey, I've got all the money, I've got the legal marriage, my kids are adopted, and now you're gonna get kidded, you fucking.
Speaker 1: I think she loved the fact that Mary got catfished because she could come in at this point and pretend that she was there for Mary. Right, I'm here for you, honey. I get it you were targeted. But behind the scenes, she's orchestrating the entire thing because she wants the downfall of Mary. She wants to emerge as the pre eminent head bitch in charge.
Speaker 3: I also thought it was interesting that this is like one of the few scenes where we see Robin with literally no makeup on. Yeah, and I'm like, huh, interesting, interesting choice.
Speaker 1: She needs the make up, a little bit of a lizard person right sitting down copless. God, she's pregnant, she's tired. Any I'm not putting on makeup either, sure, but she's a demon totally and you could see.
Speaker 2: You could the mask was off. I'm like, damn, yep, all right.
Speaker 3: And so we kind of end the episode with Mary kind of getting upset with Cody because Cody's expressing his feelings about this about how He's like, I'm confused and you pushed me out and then you had this emotional affair with this dude and it's kind of weird to me. And Mary says something like, well, Cody, if you had taken better care of our relationship, Like, I wouldn't have been so vulnerable to be attacked by this online gangstalker. So again putting the blame.
Speaker 1: On how many men have we heard say something like this to their wives after they cheat on them. Well, if you would have given me the punani, I wouldn't have had to cheat. Or well, if you would have treated me better and I didn't feel so alone after you had the baby, I wouldn't have cheated. It's the same fucking thing.
Speaker 3: But we don't have sympathy for the men when they say that. But now we have to have sympathy for Mary.
Speaker 2: She said it, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: And so then Cody gets up to hug Mary because she's crying at this point, and he says it's okay, and she apologized.
Speaker 1: But he's looking off with this thousand yard stare.
Speaker 2: He's pissed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's pissed.
Speaker 3: He's pissed and he's hurt. And honestly, I know we hate Cody, but like, if we look at this objectively, like I kind of get it, your wife cheated on.
Speaker 1: You based on the agreements that they all made in this relationship, then he was betrayed, but based on the reality that he's been cheating on all these bitches the entire time. I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 2: And he sucks too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you did this to yourself because you refuse to have sex with Mary for seven years.
Speaker 1: Take care of any of your wives except for Robin.
Speaker 2: Except for Robin. So like, what the fuck do you expect Cody?
Speaker 1: Right, he doesn't affect. He does not expect to be betrayed, He does not expect to be disrespected as the patriarch of this family. It is a wound to his narcissistic pride.
Speaker 3: And like I've said before a million times, like Cody genuinely wanted all of the wives to just fall in line and just be okay with the fact that he would never have sex with them ever again, never nurture their relationships, just kind of be friends or whatever, use their money to pay for him and Robin and their mcmanson so that way he could live.
Speaker 2: Happily ever after with her. Like that's what he expected.
Speaker 3: Yes, So like fuck Cody, Yeah, forever for her forever, but also fuck Mary. So anyway, Cody hugs Mary and she's crying or whatever, and she apologizes and she states for the camera and for everybody she didn't have an affair.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah. Lies.
Speaker 3: So then we get to the rest of the season preview Robin's big and prego. She's getting ultrasounds, and.
Speaker 2: She ultimately gives birth to baby Ari.
Speaker 3: And you know, God bless but I don't care. We have Maddie who's shopping for wedding dresses and ultimately we're going to see her shop for wedding venues and I think she gets married this season. I'm not sure. We have Garrison talking to Cody and Janelle about joining the National Guard, and of course we have to shit on him for that. And we have Janelle saying that he's seventeen so he thinks he's invincible, and you know, Cody and Janelle are ultimately very dubious about him joining the National Guard. We have Cody and Robin talking to Mary about something where they say, Mary, this isn't personal, and Mary gets kind of emotional and defensive and says, but it kind of feels like it though, and it kind of feels like there's a lack of trust. I'm not sure what this is about. Yeah, And then Cody saying to the camera that he just wants to run away. From the Storm aka Mary. And then we have Mary and Leon. I think this is when Leon is up in Utah for college or something and Mary comes and visits them, and Leon is very obviously pissed at Mary, and Mary tries to apologize to Leon, and Leon cries to the camera and it's like, I'm never gonna forgever, I'm never gonna forget her, So yeah, based and then.
Speaker 2: Leon also talks about Mary's eyebrows and I can't wait for that.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for that either. I think that's when they're in Hawaii, when I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then the family does a prank with eyebrows. They all draw their eyebrows on really Phe God really so like prank Leon about it because it gets around the whole.
Speaker 2: Family that Leon was shitting on Mary for her eyebrows.
Speaker 1: Away, Leon, I mean, somebody's gotta I loved that it's her own child that's keeping her in check.
Speaker 2: And it would be because that's usually how it is.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we Beatrice. This was a long episode. Thanks everybody for hanging in with us, But I mean I had a lot of fun. I was angry, I was dubious, I wasn't believing all the bullshit, but I was entertained me too. Is there anything else that we need to say to these beautiful racks before we get up on out of here.
Speaker 3: Well, if you love our podcast, please go to your favorite podcast platform and leave us aglowing five star review.
Speaker 2: It really helps us grow the pods.
Speaker 3: We can have more people in the dumpster and we would really appreciate it, so thank you.
Speaker 1: We will be back next week to continue our journey through season ten of Sister Wives Untils. Then, please do not forget that we have nothing but love for you, and please all guys