Speaker 1: Hey everybody. Dano here and welcome to the show. This week we're going to be giving you one of our Patreon exclusive reviews and we giveing it to you for free. And since the Oscar nominations have just been announced, I've gone ahead and chosen A Star as Burns, an episode that we were reviewed a couple of years ago, and with Guy being a film reviewer for thirty plus years, this was right up. He's ali. There are so many classic moments in this episode, and it's actually one that has one of the more interesting backstories as well from a production perspective. So we get into all of that and more, but just quickly, before we get into the review, I'd love to remind you that you can support the show for as little as just one dollar per month, one single dollar ado per month. It all goes a long way to ensuring we can afford to pay our editors and buy new equipment, etc. And continue to provide you with top quality content each and every week for now though, thanks again for tuning in and enjoy our review of A Star as Burns.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Coming Attractions. I'm your host, Jay Sherman.
Speaker 3: Thank Gil.
Speaker 2: Tonight we review an aging Charles Bronson in Death Wish nine Wish I was dead. Hey, but first we have a special guest, Rainier Wolfcastle, star of the reprehensible McBain movie Day.
Speaker 4: My new film is a mix of action and comedy. It's called mcpain. Let's get silly. Did you ever notice how man always leave the toilet seat up? That's the joke.
Speaker 2: You suck, McMain.
Speaker 4: Now my woody Alian impression. I'm a Eurotic nerd who likes to sleep with little girls.
Speaker 3: Hey, never really sucked.
Speaker 4: The film is just me in front of a break world for an hour and a half. It cost eighty million dollars.
Speaker 1: How do you sleep at night on top of a.
Speaker 4: Pile of money with many beautiful ladies?
Speaker 2: Just ask him?
Speaker 3: Yesh?
Speaker 1: Do do do? Never gets thick of that music doing, mister Davis.
Speaker 5: We absolutely do not, mister Dando.
Speaker 1: That's just I had of my notes. If every episode of the Simpson started with the Iron Springfield theme, I'll be fine with that. It just when it plays, it just puts you in a really positive mindset. It's great. And that sushi being dropped in the hot tub is one of my favorite visuals and the history of Simpsons, just Brockman's realizing the dropped in and then do just the sheer joy and laughter afterwards, the greatest.
Speaker 5: It's the perfect representation or recapture of just wonderful, tacky eighties lifestyle programs in fourtainment infoertainment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, so.
Speaker 5: Always happy when we see Iron Springfield and always happy to be doing Guy on Springfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going back and revisiting the classics. And this month the patrons have selected episode two F three to one as star is Burns, arguably one of the most controversial episodes of all time, particularly at Simpson's HQ. This created a lot of bad blood. They were not Oh, the majority were a fan. The majority didn't mind. But there was one person in particular, the headhn show, the top dog, the top billing, mister mac graney. He was not a fan of this. He hated this one. He still hates it. It's the episode that he tried to have stopped. He didn't want to go to air. He went to the press before it went to air and publicly acknowledged how much he hated and didn't want to go to air, and how he thought it was a bad idea and he thought it was just product placement or just promotion for a show that he had nothing to do with, because The Critic was created by Al Geen and Mike Reese, one of the I think they did the first season. I'm pretty sure they were that were the producers for the first four seasons, and they left after that to pursue their own show, which is The Critic on another station. And mac graney was not a fan of them returning to promote their show because what happened was the show didn't do very well well in its initial run. I can't remember what station it was on. I apologize, guys that the Critic I'm talking about. And the show was also produced by James L. Brooks, who also does The Simpsons. James L. Brooks made a deal for it to come over to Fox, and as a way to promote the new launch of The Critic on Fox, they thought they'd do a ti in episode, and this was the first time The Simpsons had ever done something like that, a tie in with something else, and Granning just did not want to do this at all, and I thought, I can can understand why, But when you think about how much dedication these two men and Brooks aside ol Gene and Mike g Reecee how much they dedicated their lives to giving you the best possible product, ensuring the Simpsons became the success that it did. You know that the sixteen hour day is just seven days a week, just bam, babe. It was their life ensuring that this became the best show of all time, And they just wanted a little bit in return. And Matt Granning's like, not not fuckys not bad idea, went to the press and given upon reflection, it's okay, if you did like it, that's fine. That's that's his opinion. But to go to the press steady making it, making it all public, that just seems ridiculous and childish in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Kind of dickish is the first word that springs to mind when I when I'd read a little bit about the story. But yeah, hearing it to this degree, it's like, oh, Matt, come on, man, you know, be a bit of a team player.
Speaker 1: And it's.
Speaker 5: To the Simpsons, credit to the credits. Credit that everyone involves credit except maybe Matt Groening's I mean they acknowledge, oh you know, they poke fun at the fact. Look, this is a bit opportunistic and you know they have it. They crack jokes about it during the episode. How how much of a bit of a tie in and a cash in it is? So you know, they they approached it in the in the true Simpsons fashion. So I cannot Yeah, like you, I can understand why he'd have an issue with it.
Speaker 1: I think you know, the first probably the first.
Speaker 5: Name you think of when you think of the simpence is Matt Groening.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, when you think of who created the Simpsons, it's Matt Graning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So you're gonna be a bit possessive of your baby, but still, man, come on, by this stage, by season six, it's not outgrown you, but it has become very much its own beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the thing. I understand. You created the characters, but you didn't really create the show. You created the characters.
Speaker 5: James L.
Speaker 1: Brooks created the Simpsons the TV show.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't for James L. Brooks, you wouldn't be living in your mansion. Matt Granning, you know what I mean. He gave you that chance. So they just want one little chance to help co promote their show. And it's not like as you're saying, it's not like they just completely took over the show. They tied it in quite well, and they poked fun at themselves. And Matt Granning's like, nah, and today I just thought, after reading that he went public with it, I thought, that's it's pretty pathetic. Really, it is.
Speaker 5: Pathetic, but you know it's not pathetic this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's funny because this episode just got panned. People did not like this episode. They thought it was really outside of the normal what the Simpsons was. They thought it felt too as we were just saying, it didn't. It didn't feel like a tie in to the point where it was just over the top. Everyone thought, oh, this was just an excuse to promote a show that had nothing to do with The Simpsons, But I thought so. I remember as a kid not really understanding exactly what the hell was going on and why so much of the episode was dedicated to this character that I had no idea who he was. And then I remember always thinking, this guy doesn't seem like a very nice person, seems like a bit of a dick, and in never returned, and I was like, whatever had I known? Had I been a bit older and understood the whole point of the episode. It makes it that much more enjoyable. You understand the jokes like a cheap TV crossover at the end. You know, if you ever want to visit my show, ah no, we're never going to be doing that. Jokes like that straight out of my head. When I was a little kid, I had no idea what the critic was, and you know I would have I would dare say even people who were a bit older. The critic was that even a show in Australia, it would have been lost on international viewers as well, would it not? In the night? I think so?
Speaker 5: Yeah, to the best of mine, the best of my recollection. Yeah, I never read on free.
Speaker 1: I can't remember ever being on TV no. So it was just it was a bit confusing, but it didn't make the episode less enjoyable. Really, this episode, if we're being honest, is probably the most ah not quote worthy, but it's the most mean worthy episode of all time. You've got that's the joke. Give that man the ten thousand dollars. Just hook it to my veins. You are the King of Kings. All these screenshots, they're like all the fucking memes you can think of. You know, like this episode is so it lives on so much now in social media now. I think people at the time just had no idea how ahead of the time it kind of kind.
Speaker 5: Of was absolutely the news outlet that I work for in my day job. I can't tell you how many times we've used the phrase, ah.
Speaker 1: They said the quiet part loud and the loud part quite another bit exactly. Yeah, there's so many quotes in this episode that just are so applicable to everyday life. And I think that's why it lives on now. And I know Mike and Al they left at the end of season four, came back to produce this one episode because you know, the critic was their baby, and it just screams classic Simpsons as a result, doesn't it that the story itself, Yeah, whatever, but just the moments throughout just screams Season four Simpsons.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's got a terrific sense of humor. But I'm going to disagree with this lightly in terms of the story. I mean, we've been watching so many episodes lately where it feels like that's a really dumb trick you're pulling to get the to get the your inciting incident, to get the story going to get the main thing happening is really kind of weak. Watching this one is like, oh no, you just ear in and out. I mean, you know, Ken Brockwin does a news broadcast about guess well, nobody likes Springfield. Sorry, everyone sounds like John Love's to me. But it's like, oh, well, how are we going to fix that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: And you know you've got your main ideas sorted out in about the space of two or three minutes. It's great. And from there, you know, you can have all manner of all manner of fun with all manner of different characters. It's I think it's a really clever episode on one that really takes advantage of the variety of characters throughout Springfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll give you that. And I also remember feeling very much like an event episode as well, because it felt so different, And it didn't feel different because it was bad. It just felt different because I was like, oh, everyone's got their own short film. It wasn't really necessarily like the Last Act isn't necessarily a story. It's just sort of a bunch of short films and things like that. But they're all really really funny and really well done, and it's just I'm just I was so surprised to go back and read so many not overly negative reviews, but people going, eh, you know, it's got its moments, but it's not that great. And I was like, really, I got a lot of laughs out of this episode. I thought it was really good. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think the main sort of quote unquote dramatic cook of the episode that you know, Homer thinks Marge thinks he's dumb, and there's some sort of rivalry between Homer and Jason. That's that doesn't really play at all that much. It's not there's not a lot to that.
Speaker 1: I would haven't really called that the major story. They tried to sort of tap into that, but there's just not much there is there.
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, that's it. I don't think it's major at all. But I think that that's like we're trying to add a little bit of conflict in there, just to you know, because stories new conflict. Yeah, but it does it doesn't really add much to it. What did you think as a crossover? Do you think they did a good job of promoting the critic I don't think they did because I was getting back to what I said before, where I remember as a kid going, I don't like this character.
Speaker 1: Seemed like an asshole. I don't know whether they didn't give him any positive qualities Ja Sherman. In my opinion, I've honestly, I've never watched the critic, so I'm not sure what he's like on that show. But you've got to give the character some sort of liability to make people go, I want to see more of that guy. By the end of it, I was like, I don't want to see this guy on my screen anymore. He just seems like a dick.
Speaker 5: Look, I haven't watched the critic either. In all honesty, I've seen you know, I was seeing little bits and pieces here and there, but never a full episode, So I mean, I be I'm not wholly across the tone of the show. I think it's probably a bit more grown up adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people who are watching The Simpsons. I just don't think the Critic was ever going to work as a crossover because as an eight year old watching The Simpsons, I was like, who is this guy? And why do I care?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hate when I use the term sophisticated about the critic I'm not saying them that The Simpsons is just dumb, but I think the critic sort of relies on a few more references that might go over a lot of people's heads, or based on what I've seen of it, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like the critic. To me, this seems like the Critic would be a show that applies to the comic book Guys of the World. Yeah, you're sort of you, you're snarky. But saying that though, I like Seinfeld because I like how they say what I think without things I would never actually say, but things that I think, you know that the negative aspect of life and what you think of other people. But I just I don't know. I feel like watching his first episode when I was a kid, I didn't like it, didn't like him. I watch it now and at the end of us sort of went I think Jay Sherman is someone that I can relate to now, and I think I would want to see more of him now. I think if they gave us more of what he did on his show, because he didn't see enough of him on his show, I don't think to sort of make you want to see more of that artist. I don't know, but do you think that makes sense. Do you think they blended him into the Simpsons universe? Well, what do you think overall? Would you when you first watched this, would you have watched the critic if they said starting next week the critic on Channel ten? Would you have tuned into the critic as a result? And at that stage of.
Speaker 5: My love, absolutely, I'd be like, Oh, it seems like a witty comedy in the Simpsons vein about something that I'm interested in, but also with a bit more of a little more acid to it, a little more bite to it. Yeah, and the Simpsons has plenty of that. The Simpsons isn't isn't done by any stretch or or unsophisticated by any stretch.
Speaker 1: But that's just feels it's not to appeal to children at all. That's what the that's what that's the vibe I get for the critic anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's more for twenty somethings. Yeah, I think the the audience starts at late precocious teens and but really is for twenty and thirty somethings.
Speaker 1: As a critic, did you like this episode? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I was just so surprised when when I've read so much just just sort of I guess the word to describe. The reviews of this episode were all just like, eh, like, no one's see to have many positive things to say about it, And I thought, I don't know, maybe I'm going to be out of the norm here because I wrote down a lot that I liked about this episode.
Speaker 5: No, I thought, I thought it was really really funny.
Speaker 1: Hey, my favorite. So what were your favorite moments from Staris Bands?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, broke out the green high lighter and there's a fair bit on the page here. I mean, I just love it when little supporting characters or side characters or cameo characters that I did just show up, you know, the reporter who's like, what a story?
Speaker 1: I mean, what's good?
Speaker 5: And even the guy at the town meeting, you know when Marge first stands up and says, oh much simp and I have an idea. This guy just says, I is going to see something like that. That was really good. I thought there was a great payoff to the joke when Jay's walking through New York and Radio Wolf because you were making fun of me, you know, he pulls the no, no, but j hey, your shoes aren tied. The whole bit with a I would go in for closer look and then you got that pause, got their paws close inspection. He's a lost.
Speaker 1: Just a great, a great button on that gag. I'm just asking.
Speaker 5: And just and also how Jay introduced himself when you first see his show, and I am Jay Sherman.
Speaker 1: How much of yourself do you see in j Sherman? Is that like your stereotype what people think film critics arelike? What do you see in the character of Ja Shoman from what you saw?
Speaker 5: I think that's the stereotype of what people think it's like, and maybe it is for I think if you're going to be a TV critic a film you know, a movie critic on TV, like your your Roger Eberts or your Gene Shallott's in the US. I mean we had David Margaret here in Australia and they were a bit different. I mean, they were very well, they were very Australian. I mean they weren't sort of like the movie critics on TV in the States, based on my exposure to them, are usually kind of showman types, are larger than life personality types, so they had to have a bit of a either Oh that wacky person with their wacky opinions or oh wow, and wonder how they're going to sledge them this week or something along those lines. I mean you're not really getting in depth film analysis and criticism. You're getting like a two minute a three minute SoundBite, you know, during a section of the Today Show or something like that.
Speaker 1: And as opposed as opposed to who was your hero from the from the seventies and eighties? Did the Midday Show? Oh? Ivan Hutchinson? Yeah, yeah, I mean he was very low key.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean there were two guys in Australia who were doing who were you know movie presenters on TV? Ivan Hutchinson, who was, yeah, just a really sort of low key dude, and Bill Collins, who was also he was a bit more of the Even even doing this, I'm over hyping him, but he was the golden years of Hollywood. I mean he was more like, oh, yeah, he's that eccentric uncle who knows a shit tone about movies and will always tell you about them. And he wasn't even he wasn't over the top. He was just kind of really loved movies and it came through.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed the the sound effect used for the football hitting the groin, I thought was just perfection.
Speaker 5: Just that.
Speaker 1: He can't sort of you can't say it, just you can't make that sound like the sound that they use. It's just so good. But Homer is absolute glee. After watching for the first time and saying, give that many ten thousand dollars that laugh from Dan, it just gets me every time.
Speaker 5: I think it's amazing. I love how you know you can see the people around him. I think there's a guy on the right hand side of the screen, some redhead guy with the mustaches sort of doing the side out of homes, like, oh god, this baffoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just so good. And another quote that we forgot to mention earlier that gets used a lot in real life now is I was saying buns of course. Yeah, this episode had so much to that's just lived on and you know, at the time maybe people didn't like it, but man, tell me, in episodes that's had more moments that get used every day on social media than more than this one. I can't I don't think there is one.
Speaker 5: I can't think of any off the top of my head. But yeah, there's just there are so many that are either lifted out in meme form or have just entered the everyday vocabulary.
Speaker 1: Next question, you there eating the beast. All right, mister Davis, It is time for some trivia for a star as Burns. I think we should probably read out some patron shot out. So what do you reckon? I think you should do that because you're so good at it, and they so deserve it. They so do deserve it, particularly our twenty dollars patients. Think I read our twenty dollar patrons today, starting with none other than Jonathan Rossi, as well as Jared Howard At, Christopher Trent Darby, Andrew Zr, Jordan Moleman, Richie Steamham Champion, Dylan Haggett, Hanks Scorpio, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood, Zach Pruett, Timothy Burlson, Joel Yolande, Kati g Daniel Kotnick, Shannon Hofer, Rhys Roberts, George Mcmahermee, Stephen Roberts, Sean deVie, Bella Winderbank, Tom Pickering, Mark Boston Burgess, Grand Sciper, Noah Declan Phoenix, Lewis Cavanaugh, Jack McFadden, Heath Applebee, Preston Murray and Adric McLeod. And we also have some new twenty dollars patriots, mister Davis, would you like to hear their beautiful names as well? Sing it from the mountaintops, starting with Andrew Davis, thank you for becoming a twenty dollar patron. You're absolute champion, as well as none other than mister Ryan A. Dunlap, not Dunlap. I originally read it as Dunlop. It's Dunlap, Ryan Dunlap. Thank you so much, guys. So Ryan Dunlap and Andrew Davis our new twenty dollars patrons here on the four figure scamp Patreon channel. So thank you guys for your support. It does mean the world to us. Right mister Davis, it's trivia. You hit me with your first question, what do you got for me?
Speaker 5: I will? Indeed, how much is Bart charging for a Maps to the Stars homes?
Speaker 1: It's a very good question. I've never really paid attention, but I'm going to say something on the lines of five dollars.
Speaker 5: Five dollars it is?
Speaker 1: It is five dollars. Okay, must have just got muscle memory. I must have seen it so many times and brains just like it's five dollars before you know this. My first question is what is the name of Jay Shemon's show that he hosts?
Speaker 5: Oh? Is it at the movies with Jahmon?
Speaker 1: No? Coming attractions? Coming attractions?
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: Your next question, which Death Wish movie?
Speaker 5: Are we up to? Oh four? We're up to the ninth?
Speaker 1: The ninth?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: I did like the way he's like the what does he call them? That? The film reprehensible mixin movies. My next question is profits have dropped by how much?
Speaker 5: That's on of mine thirty?
Speaker 1: I thought you would have loved the spill bet spilbear going it's Bilberg non union Mexican equivalent. That's one that's dropped a lot as well.
Speaker 5: That you have a bit? Uh, what is Jay's not quite nickname for Wolfcastle? Well, what does j Corrany and Wolfcastle? When Wolfcastle approaches him on the street?
Speaker 1: Ah, nudnick?
Speaker 5: Nudnick?
Speaker 1: Now, what's that?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 1: Obviously a plan on spudnik, But what's the no. I think it's I think it's like a Jewish term of endearment. But let's have a look, sh.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's say let's look that up. Because I was going to looking up I forgot it is not actually a term of endearment. Nudnick is a pestering, nagging, or irritating person.
Speaker 1: A bore I see. I like the fact that Jay Sherman is so much of a prick even when his big guy's coming towards him, he's such a smart ass. He's still just hang shit on it because he's like, he knows that this big march a guy has no idea that he's actually hanging shit on him. He's like, I just realized you were insulting me, and then he insults him straight away, and Wolfcastle doesn't realize that he's being insult I thought it was very, very funny. I knew it must have been something bad. My next question is how much did that film cost where he's just standing in front of the brick wall.
Speaker 5: For nineteen mine eighty million dollars?
Speaker 1: Yes, eighty million dollars correct.
Speaker 5: My last question for you is who does Marge cross off the list to make way for.
Speaker 1: Homer Martin Scorsese, Oh, Marty Yeap. And finally, who plays Smithers in US Burns for All Seasons?
Speaker 5: It's Tommy June Tommy noted Flamboy and Broadway Musical Theater star.
Speaker 1: All right, that is true viafore A Star as Burns. Let's get into our review, shall we, Mister Davis, no ad breaks on this show, because let's us for our beloved patrons. All right. So the original aired eight four A Star as Burns was March fifth, nineteen ninety five. It was written by Ken Keeler, Ken's first writing credit on the show. Well, that's actually another thing should mention. Matt Granning was so annoyed by this episode that he had his name taken from the credits. I did see that. Yeah, yeah, wow, it's extreme. It didn't even appear on the audio commentary either for the episode on the DVD's. It's just like Matt Man.
Speaker 5: Come on, let bygones be going bygones. Let bigones be guygones.
Speaker 1: Surely people look back on this now so fondly that he must go. You have to acknowledge that he was wrong to be He's wrong, regardless of how he acted and the way he handled the situation. But look back now and go, was it really that big of a deal. You may have may have exaggerated, and it doesn't really matter. Anyway, and it was directed by Susie Ditter. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows each and every week. Out support to get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Scie Field, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount, all right. So the episode kicks off with, as we said earlier, Ion Springfield.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 1: That's so makes you so happy, It's so great.
Speaker 5: It was just so techy. I mean of the opening credits of Ion Springfield is just chicks and bikini.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is just dancing the Jebedi sprint Field outfit and stuff. But I love it when it first airs, whenever it add on The Simpsons for the first time and just ends up home and going wow in full team and that's just the best. Whenever we used to do a Simpsons trivia and I up in Melbourne. I used to always try and incorporate a question that had the Iron Springfield music playing, because I found whenever you play that it just made people up and about that were just start us so happy. Spring Field's answer to the Benedictine Monks. Who are they Benedictine Monks? I think there was a bit of a period where you had these Benedictine monks who were just doing charting and people were just like, that's really calming and relaxing. I might play it on CD, just a chill out at the end of a rough day. So they were a thing. They were like a group, the Blue Man Group, but monks, I believe.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, yeah, not really a group. They were just a you know, a choir of monks from Belgium or somewhere like that, and you know, they recorded an album. Some cool person started saying, well, this is really relaxing, and everyone I sort of jumped on the bandwagon for a little while.
Speaker 1: Well, we had the rapid Rabbis here in Springfield doing their own rendition of can't touch this, not even can't touch this. I was like that. Homer asked if they're Jewish, they're not so he starts eating a pig on a platter. Then Survey says that the Springfield is the Springfield at least popular city in the US in Science Dead Last.
Speaker 5: I just like that.
Speaker 1: I guess what we stink? Hey, And then they cut to Skinner being burned at the at the stake, I told you the earth revolves at around the sun. And then the guy takes a photo. You've stolen my soul, as Grandpa says. Then Culture Dead Last, Crusty performing the stage show in the wheelchair, gets out of the chair speakreveled. Then the family I actually had to hear my notes. So this episode, this story was taken straight off almost bit for bit from the episode we reviewed a couple of weeks ago and fourthing a discount. There's something about marrying tourism goes down. Oh yeah, and they have a town hall meeting asking how they can fix tourism. That is exactly what happens in that episode. Ten seasons later, why did you ever hold another film festival? Yeah? I died to make that an annual event. Yeah, it's just crazy. They literally just rehashed this story. But fine, whatever it worked. I didn't pick up on it at the time. But yeah, it just it was so blatant. When I revisited this one, I.
Speaker 5: Think it'd be hilarious. I mean, you know they do a Treehouse of Horror every year. I mean you do one of these every four or five years or something. Fun. Guess what we're holding another film festival. We don't have to bring Jay Sherman back. But actually you get some other don't really they don't know if they have film critics on TV anymore, but or some YouTube guy.
Speaker 1: The closest thing now is just I don't know that movies to have like e yeah, what was it? The the thing for that I've sitt on the podcast before it.
Speaker 5: Is to love it entertainment tonight.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I on Springfield was based on that, you'd have to think so right.
Speaker 5: I think there was just all manner of like local yeah, you know today in La or something like that.
Speaker 1: I just can't happen to do air guitar whenever I on Springfield's playing. This makes me so happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you do a Springfield Film Festival episode every you know, five or six seasons or something, and different characters making their own, different little movies and things like that. It's an interesting way to shake it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting back to them, there's something about marrying. They even have the exact same joke. So when Lisa, Lisa is the one who says, oh no, too is going to go down in there's something about marrying home and goes, oh no, what about my what about my maps two stars homes? But here what about my maps to stars homes? I'm like, this is the exact same joke. They literally copied this episode. Bart's here He's got maps to movie stars homes, and it's He's got Moe's houses. Drew Barrymore, Are you Drew Barrymore? What? I'm hungover?
Speaker 5: Hungover?
Speaker 1: They didn't have the town hall meeting?
Speaker 6: Are there any suggestions for how to attract more tourism?
Speaker 3: The easiest way to be popular is to leach off the popularity of others, So we proposed changing our name from Springfield to Seinfeld.
Speaker 7: I may be just a boy, but I have an idea. If I may, I'd like to show you a few slides. Here's Springfield as it appears from space somewhere in this week. Valley is the lost Dutchman's mind.
Speaker 6: Young man that appears to be a picture of your rear end song.
Speaker 3: Sutters.
Speaker 1: Lot.
Speaker 7: This is the last time I use an escape plan devised by Millhouse.
Speaker 4: Sorry, bart I'm.
Speaker 3: Marge Simpson and I have an idea.
Speaker 2: Oh March is gonna say something now.
Speaker 8: I know you haven't liked some of my past suggestions, like switching to the metric system.
Speaker 6: The metric system is the tour of the devil my cargage forty rods to the hots head, and that's the way I liked it. The old persions from March will be stricken from the record who said that.
Speaker 3: But my new idea is different.
Speaker 8: I think we should hold a film festival and give out prizes.
Speaker 3: Could we make our own movies and enter them? Yes, last an excuse to wear makeup.
Speaker 6: All in favor of Marge Simpson's film festival idea like my idea.
Speaker 3: Actually I have several others.
Speaker 1: But then, as you were saying, they got straight into it. So as soon as we have this scene, straight into Barton filming. He is the eternal struggle relax fit my aunt Fanny. He can't fit into his pants. We've all been there where we've We've got like a favorite pair of pants and they get a little bit tight. And you're like, oh no, some wheat or bay new pants. I don't want to do that, and Flanders and then filming Todd is Todd, Yeah, Ted his baby Moses in the How big must that basket be? By the way, and like more is like picking him up, put him in the water. I'm like this, this Todd is not a baby. But he flies off down the river straight away. I really liked the shot of as soon as Todd takes off, it cuts to Rod and Flanner's just looking at it, and it's just that visual of oh fuck, and he flies fround he praised to God. I feel like if this joke was used in a modern day episode, people would hang shit on it when he praise to God, God say today thanks God, or could do It's so unrealistic, but it just, you know, back then it didn't seem to bother us, but now it was bother us though it shouldn't. But Marge is now looking for a critic and it's six hundred critics on TV, which goes to show that the sign of the time six hundred critics on TV, and that probably was true. There probably were a lot of critics on TV. But now as you're saying it'd be hard to find any I guess just the Internet killed that, right, social media killed that. What do you think was the biggest killer of the Internet, or just social media in or just the Internet in general.
Speaker 5: Oh, the Internet in general, because I mean you look on YouTube and there's plenty there's plenty of you know, sort of amateur critics.
Speaker 1: Just randoms, just filming themselves. I've never got the whole reaction video thing.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I don't get that at all.
Speaker 1: It's just like it was like someone sent me your links saying you gotta watch this guy watch the Geelong Grand Final, And I'm like, do I We're how excited to get to when he kicks the goal? Like, yeah, he's a fan of Geelong, he should be excited. I don't get why watching some and it's literally like you can't even see the game when you're watching it. You're just watching a guy looking at his computer screen. I'm like, why, why have six hundred thousand people watched this? I don't get it. Clouds, what is this?
Speaker 5: No, it makes zero sense to me. Yeah. Yeah, but I mean there would have been a stage where, you know, all your regional TV stations or your small town stations probably had you know, now it's time for someone is opening this week, and here's our movie reviewer to talk about it. Probably getting paid peanuts or just getting free movie tickets or something like that. But yeah, a lot of the so many stations have had their own movie guy.
Speaker 1: And Leonard Malton is mentioned here, the best looking on TV, who appears in Mega Streisand the second last episode I want to say of south Park season one, which we reviewed on our south Park podcast, Going Down to south Park. So if you're a patron and you haven't checked out that podcast yet, check it out. Guarantee you'll enjoy it. The more guying down to In your ears, she sees Jay Sherman on his show Coming Attractions and his Air with Ray near wolf Castle discussing the reprehensible McBain movies. And then they's what's the new movie called again? Number nine of what it's death Wish, Death Wish okay, and it's just him making jokes, doing stand up in front of a brick wall.
Speaker 5: Oh so no, no, well, yeah there's the death Witch movie with Charles Bronson in the bed.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, yes, I wish, I was like I wish. Yeah, no days, and.
Speaker 5: Then it's McBain, let's let's get silly, let's get silly.
Speaker 1: Of course it is, of course it is. What do you think? And dandover it just yeah, that's the joke. That is probably the most ued Simpson's meme, right, like that or Homer in the Hedges.
Speaker 5: I think it's Homer in the Hedges in all honesty, and I think that's but.
Speaker 1: That is quote quote wise though, like that's for the visual something that's just a quote. What do you reckon?
Speaker 5: I'm always inclined to say, booms you reckon?
Speaker 1: I reckon. That's the joke is every time somebody misunderstand something, and it's I love it when I'm the first person to do it too. I love it when I've got someone I'm like, cool, he's a good chance to use. That's the joke. Yeah, burn, it's even better when you go back two minutes later and you realize the deleted their comment. You're like, I still got it. Then he does his Woody Yellen impression during the stand up. And speaking of Woodyellen, he appears in the latter episode of Talking Seinfeld. Well, he doesn't appear, but he's he's filming a movie in New York where he gives Cramey the role where he has the speaking line of these petzels are making me thirsty. We've just reviewed that. It's not quite up on the Patreon channel yet, but it's going to be up very very soon. So if you like yourself from Seinfeld and you haven't listened to that one yet and you're a patron, what are you doing? Check that out as well. Dano, you are a spooking machine. Just ties into here in the Forefinger Discount universe. And then Homer thinks that when Lisa says, I think it's Lisa who's describing Jay, he thinks it's them describing him.
Speaker 5: My ears are burning.
Speaker 1: No, no, you dad, Oh my ears a burning.
Speaker 5: Let a cute bond fire and see what was happening in his ear.
Speaker 1: Marge then writes the letter to j.
Speaker 8: Dear mister san On behalf of the people of Springfield. I would like to invite you to judge our film festival.
Speaker 3: You can stay with us and enjoy the sights and sounds of the country.
Speaker 6: Merge just a pimple or a boil, just a man at.
Speaker 3: Homer, look what you made me?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 8: Anyway, we think you'll really enjoy our quiet little town.
Speaker 3: Sincerely, Marge Simpson, Do.
Speaker 2: I really want to leave Manhattan?
Speaker 1: Sermon? I just realized you insulted me. Now you were to die?
Speaker 5: Eh?
Speaker 3: Hey not neck?
Speaker 2: Your shoes untied?
Speaker 4: From here they appear to be tied. But I will go in for a close or look.
Speaker 2: Taxi to the airport.
Speaker 1: On Grelosa inspection. These are loafers. We come back from commercial and the graffiti plane arrives, cuts off the one from New York. Hey, I'm landing here. Homer then holds up the Simpson sign. It's just your typical Homer is dumb moment keeps rewriting Simpson and.
Speaker 5: Then again rule threes again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the payoff to the piople or a boil. It was a gummy bear. So right off the bat here they're trying to establish that Jay. I'm going to say, I think Jay thinks he's more superior than anybody, but more superior than Homer.
Speaker 5: What do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Not particularly in this moment here, but it's setting up the I don't know that, yeah, same, Maybe it's just maybe it's just John Loved's voice. I don't know, But do you think It's Loved's voice plays a big part in the snewedness of Jay Sherman. It absolutely does.
Speaker 5: But I think you know the thing about Jay Sherman is he's also probably fairly insecure to the point of rock bottomed self esteem.
Speaker 1: Balding, middle aged, fat white man short.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's you know, he's commenting on stuff rather than actually creating stuff for all that kind of business. You know, Rainian Wolfcastle doesn't call him out, But how do you slip in that? On a bed of on a big bottle of Money's arounded by beautiful ladies who who wouldn't rather have that? So I think if Jay finds the opportunity is like, oh here's someone I'm legitimately better than, you know, he's really gonna sort of loud it over coming.
Speaker 1: Up next, The Flintstones meet the Jetsons.
Speaker 7: Uh oh, I smell another cheap cartoon crossover.
Speaker 6: Bright Tip didn't meet Jay Sherman the critic.
Speaker 7: Hello, hey man, I really love your show. I think our kids should watch it. I suddenly feel so dirty.
Speaker 1: It's important. I think when you're doing a crossover that you acknowledge it in some way and take the mickey out of yourself at the same time.
Speaker 5: I reckon, So I think you have to, don't you.
Speaker 1: You have to because you don't want to want the viewers to feel like you're just shoving it down their throats. Burns is now in his office and we get Vadas theme playing over the top of the Imperial March, and they're discussing how the profits have dropped by thirty seven percent because the image of the of the power plant and mister Burns's is just not great at the moment, so Smith suggests a film biography as part of the film festival to improve their image. Get me, Steven Spielberg. He is not available, sir, Get me he's non Union mass An equivalent. It's just it's so awesome, isn't.
Speaker 5: It, Senior spill Senior spielbergo.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want you to do what Spilberg did for Oscar Shindler. She lets, I didn't appreciate this, and that's what I always gotta allow.
Speaker 5: Like Shindlers, I.
Speaker 1: Never appreciated Spielberg or whatever. It is enough when I was younger. For sure, it's very very good. And what what's his hat say? Did I say? Spielberg? Spielbergo, Oh, I don't know, but I mean was just always renowned for isn't a cap, isn't it? He's like, that doesn't look like a drastic park we have we can up hanging one second. I'm just just giggling him. Now, hang on one second. What's his hat? Was just a red hat and it was just lucky red hat. But yes, that's as you were saying. He's known Spillbear for wearing his hat's blue hat though.
Speaker 5: Right, I think he's for a very very long time. He was just mister baseball cap, the beard in the baseball.
Speaker 1: Cap, the beard in the baseball gap. Yeah. So he's got the non Mexican non union SORR Mexican equivalent to help him film his film Homer and Jay and then fighting over who gets the last pork chop and we get their bellies fighting.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I like about this though, was this It also shows that Jay he's got the gift of the game when it comes to his mouth. So he's a big talker, but physically no home is always going to win. He's a chicken. But Marches, now you've got to you've got to let the guests have the last pork chop, and even just that like sticks his tongue out. I'm like, this guy not a nice person at Jay is not a nice person at all. He shows off all his awards, so he's really cocky. And then Homer brags about how you know, he won the belching contest at work, and then Jay out does him in that as well. It's like, piss off, mate, just have something now. I want to mention here a little bit later in the episode, so he mentions here that the end people that can beouch louder, he and you door are wealthy. Right when we hear her burp later in the episode, for some reason, and I cannot explain to you why used to be muted on free to air TV. When they would err on Foxdale, we could hear it. But when Channel ten would air that scene where she where she burps and Crusty's hair moves, you couldn't. You couldn't hear it. His hair just moved and there was no sound. It was the strangest thing.
Speaker 5: That's very weird. Any any reason why they do that.
Speaker 1: You've never been able to find out why that is. It's just the strangest thing that that one little bit was always the initial burp by Jay not muted out. But when Krusty says, We've got a date with your door a wealthy and she burps, you couldn't hear it. You just see the hair moving. It was the strangest thing.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's just out of respect for the pulling surprise winning author be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know. Yeah, it's just it's it's bizarre. But then we hear the doorbell rings, smartest sisters or sisters screams, and then he says that what do you think of this next bit? I thought you'd appreciate this, the woody Allen bit. I look came and ca can do but sat smart, Jimmy and Skippy do can and do do? I never feel I never felt worse for Homer than.
Speaker 5: I did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty, it's pretty bad and tumbre weed coming through.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They then asked, who is gay? No Harvey firesting, No way the camp has gone Hollywood. I love Harvey. He's so funny. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Well co star of Missus Doubtfire, which was recently covered by Dan Do on Guy Okay The Movie.
Speaker 1: Guys, Yeah The Movie Guys podcast, available on Patreon it's all tad to get apologies. Listens, if you just heard a scream, Holly is now awoken, and this house is going to be a rocket.
Speaker 5: Now, alright, Well, we can't really race to the end because we're not. We're about plenty of time.
Speaker 1: We're fine. I believe my lovely wife Nikola is going to be taking Holly for a walk to the park to get it out the house. But before then, we have them discussing Hugh's gay and Homer suggests whispers something in his ear. Mcguiver is gay, and we're both not happy about that at all. They're not, and I don't know how. It's kind of like there's two ways looking at it. It's they're using homosexuality as the punchline here, like it's a bad things that he's gay. It's like, no, Patty and Sam are annoy because they obviously like him and they don't want him to be gay. But now that we've reviewed, as we're saying earlier, there's something about marrying. Did Patty not know what she was at this point? I thought she always knew according to that episode.
Speaker 5: Oh good point.
Speaker 1: Continuity doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: I think you can just as dudes can have man crushes like I'm you know, It's true. Both dan Or and I have on Joel Sellwood, the captain of the Delongquat's football team, who has now decided to call it to day on his illustrious career. Patty probably you know, had a non sexual crush on mcgiver, or a sexual crush but not sexual, if you know what I mean. No, I don't, nor do I. I'm working that out.
Speaker 1: But it comes to Jay hanging from his undies. He's obviously been beaten up by Patty and Sammer. Margin's then riding out the jury list for the festival in bed with Homer, and Homer asked her, you respect my intelligence of a pause? Yes? Why was it such a long pause? No reason? You humor me? Yes? Wait a minute, that's bad, And he's like, I know, I know he's a good critic, but can he sing the Oscar the Oscar my Awena song? And then he proceeds to do just that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wish I were an Oscar myre weener.
Speaker 3: That's true. They like to be because if I were an Oscar and Iroween, everyone would be in love with me. That's it. March he knows the whole Hot Talk song. Go ahead, sleep with him.
Speaker 6: I'll just take a look of your hair to remember you.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 4: It's just you and me.
Speaker 5: No luck of their.
Speaker 1: Oscar my a Wiener never had one? Have you ever had one? I have never had an oscar my Wiena. No, we're Australians down and we have Huttons, footy Franks. Yeah, that's right. Why I don't eat sausages anymore before so, I've never I've never really liked sausages anyway. Eve when I was a kid, I was just like, give me a hamburger. I don't want a sausage. I was never I loved the bunting snag. It was like a Saturday morning ritual. But at a barbecue. I was all about the hamburgers, hamburgers of Coleslaw.
Speaker 5: I get where you're coming from, but oh I love a sausage.
Speaker 1: Use that sound bite. But yeah, so all the kids are singing the song with him, and the dog's howling. I'm assuming that's how that the that's like a Chicken Tonight kind of reference, Like that's the song for the commercials. I'm assuming, Yeah, that wasn't it at the movies isn't it like the the commercial is to play before a movie like go to the I know that was Let's all go to.
Speaker 5: The lobby and have ourselves a snack.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the Oscar My Wiener theme song was big on the TV commercials and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's no a hot dog song. No, it's not.
Speaker 5: The classic version of the wing the theme song. But Love's reaction to it, he knows the whole hot dog song. Go ahead, sleep with him.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna take a look at your hair. It's just me and you now, luck of hair much as like calm down, you find so, he says, put me on the jury list to prove that you don't think I'm stupid. That she does, she crosses off scores asy and puts Homer on there. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Siefeld and Speaking of the heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. That's now the auditions for mister Burns. We get Annibal Letter, we get William Shatner, and we also get Homer. I love the Homer exactly, just caving in the line, right, bumblebee guy, excellente and burnches. Besides that, enough's enough, I'm going to play it myself. It's now the film Festival, and this next gag took me back to my honeymoon. So doctor Hibitt rocking up the rocky horror get up. I'm like, ah, I've been there, and you know, we get the various films. So we get bright lights, beef jerky from a Pooh, we get Mo better booze from Mo. Man getting hit by football one of my favorite moments ever. It's just so stupid, so funny. It's it's like, man, getta hit by football. It is utterly ridiculous. It just seems to have just stuck like it's just what is it about it that makes it so goddamn funny?
Speaker 5: Is it the sound is I know, I know, Homer says it works on so many levels.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really, it just works on one level. But it's funny. Just I don't know, it's ridiculous and immature, but it's just I think that that moment followed Behmer's laugh is just a perfect combination for me. I just I just I adore it. Then we get puc Huntas from from Barney, which.
Speaker 5: I really love because I mean it's a wonderful piss take on you know, the sort of gotten who are kind of Yeah, actually it was more like colognets, like Calvin kleinsession.
Speaker 1: They already take pisce out of this mister Plow when Homer says he pays a lot of money to have a commercial from mister plowner, and it comes back like a Calvin Klein kind of commercial with all black and white yeaheah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, those you know, the clouds really moving fast across the guy and it's all in black and white and all that kind of stuff. But they're all correct and saying this is actually really good. I mean it's I love all this stuff in it. I mean, I really love. One of my favorite bits is actually the when Barney quotes a fellow or something like there is a serber Man lately, a clown presently a beast that pretty much covers it.
Speaker 1: I thought that was the funniest thing.
Speaker 5: But also just the my name is Barney Gomble, I'm forty, I'm single, and I drink. It's like, it's good writing.
Speaker 1: Ye, that sums your life up. Yep, don't cry for me, I'm already dead. Another quote that gets used a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very much so yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I think they picked the perfect character to have this film as well, because you just never expect Barney to be the one to have this. But it's really beautifully made. It's really great. But Haama wasn't watching it all then we get a burns for all seasons. And the quote of you truly are King of Kings that gets used all the time when someone does something great on social media. But do you know that was voiced by Phil Hartman.
Speaker 5: Well, I did see his name in the in the closing credits. I'm like, where where was Phil? But then in retrospects like truly you are the king of king Yeah. I saw some clip on on Twitter the other day. Phil Harton was on like some chat show or something, and he was talking about how he dubbed a line for Jack Nicholson in some film that Nicholson made in the eighties. Yeah, they needed him for adr and Nicholson wasn't available. So Phil Hartman stepped in and said, I really appreciate what you've done for me and my family. And Harbin told met Jack Nicholson and told him this, and Nicholson apparently said, no, wonder that film was my only loser.
Speaker 1: Harbin just cracked up.
Speaker 5: It was the funniest thing.
Speaker 1: But that was great. I didn't know that he'd ever done that. I'm sad that Nicholson's hiding now because of his apparently he's got is that dementia?
Speaker 5: Either that or he's just you know, old, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Apparently he's just he's something's not right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well he I think he admitted his like, I can't remember lines anymore. I mean, whether that's legitimate dementia or just old age wear and tear. I mean, there's a great line. I think Sean McKellen, who said, like an actor dized twice in the first time is when you can't remember your line, that sucks.
Speaker 1: And it does suck.
Speaker 5: But I mean, you know, Jack gave us forty fifty years of just being Jack Nicholson, you know, birth on screen and offscreen.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the moment where he flirted with Jennifer Lawrence? Yeah, like, oh, I'm like that is just even though he's not in movies anymore, he's still Jack Nicholson just the I thought about it.
Speaker 5: No, So he's more and Donald, he's more than indulgence to you know, sitting sitting around the house in his robe and you know, watch the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Good on him. Anyone who has trouble flirting with women just watched that ten seconds like that there he just oozers charisma. Oh yeah, it's just the confidence of the guy. And what I love the most is when he goes back to it. You put the glasses on first, what's his glasses? Backing on? Sunglasses and then he goes and talks, Ah, what a man. They broke the mold. They broke the mold. He really did. All right, But enough about Jack Nicholson, Nickson, Phil Hartman of course, yes, he voice King of Kings. And then we get the I was saying Billurn's moment. These are the boy, ma'am.
Speaker 4: No, they're saying Burns, Burns, are you seeing Boo Bourns?
Speaker 3: I was saying balloons.
Speaker 1: We come back, and the jury now voting for a winner. We have Marge and Jay choose Pucahuntas and Quimby and Krusty have been brought off by Burns and they have voted for a Burns for all seasons and christ He says we're gona get out of he because I've got a date with with you, Dora. And then we hear the burp. I was like, oh, thank god, the Burbs back, because I just never understood why they cut it out. It must have been out of respect. I'm not too sure. Doesn't make any sense. Maybe she complained. I'm not too sure. But then we get the moment you quoted earlier. It moved me. Do it back a house, La, that's such a it's such a good It's such a perfect rusty line, isn't it. It's on part for me of like the they bought a dumb truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone. Homer wants football on the growing football in the grind. Jay says, you need to take a break because we're getting nowhere. Margie goes and confronts Homer says, I knew you. I knew it was this would happen if I put you on the jury, you'd vote for the stupidest film. And Jay walks up and he's like, you're going to make fun of me. No, I'm not going to make fun of you. But before that, though, he says, what does Homer say that makes him go? How many times have I had Rex Read say that? Sleeping with the with the slipping with the What? What is Marge slipping with the chief?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The boss of some kind? Yes? Who's Rex Read? I don't know who Rex Read is.
Speaker 5: Rex Reader is a critic who's still working in New York. I think he's I think he writes for the New York Observer. Yeah, always a bit bitchy. His reviews lately are just ship. He's just got terrible taste. You know. He'll anything that's you know, vaguely interesting and be kind of like, no, don't like it, and anyone anyone any tastes going fuck off?
Speaker 1: Rex?
Speaker 5: Why are you still around?
Speaker 1: Is that you don't have taste? And he does.
Speaker 5: Man, he's got it. Look, here's the thing about film criticism. We're all just arseholes with opinions.
Speaker 1: That's all weird.
Speaker 5: You can have an informed opinion, you can certainly, you can know your stuff, you can know your film history, and you know, see how stuff relates to everything else and all that kind of thing. But in the end, it's just your opinion. If you can express your opinion well and back up your arguments, that's great. No one's right or wrong. You know, you just got to go with the voice, the voice you can trust.
Speaker 1: So then he says, I'm not going to make fun of you, but there are better things in life than seeing a man get hitting the groin with the football.
Speaker 5: By the way, shout out for the delivery of groin.
Speaker 1: Yep, And the football hits him in the groin, and Nelson was obviously the person. He threw it Homers, and he had some serious thinking to do, and he goes and rewatches it. Barney's film had heart football on the Green, had a football in the green. And then after finishing Barney's film, he says, you know what, I've really learned a lot from this. I'm going to straighten up, fly up whatever beer here, I'll take ten.
Speaker 5: That's something I've always loved about this. Those all that the beer guys wandering around an empty theater beer here, it was just instant. I'll take ten.
Speaker 1: It's like when the guys selling hot dogs at the funeral. You're just following my husband around, lady. He's getting my children through college. She and Scratchy have won the Best Short Film Best Animated Short for four Funerals and a Wedding. What I liked about this was it, at least a scratch you got to live a happy life. I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm obviously they exploded at the end, but he looked old and fraid of at this point. They both went out together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they had a long live together. They had a couple of dynamite kids, and.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic and they both die.
Speaker 5: And also Scratchy checks out as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is the mouse?
Speaker 5: Is it you the mouse?
Speaker 1: But yeah, but Barney wins with Poker Hunters, and Marge is very proud of Homer for voting for the right film. You know what he says, it's not tough, or he says not tough yet not tough being a film. Cricket cricket, And then Barney says I'm going to be a new Barnard Gumbel, hard working, clean and sober. And he wins a lifetime supplier beer just hook it to my veins. Whatever. That gets used a lot whenever, like a new trailer comes out or something very much. So yeah, I see that one so much. Yeah. The family now sending off Jay at the airport. You know, wonder you can visit my show? Yeah, we're not going to be doing that. And Homer is and he tricks himself with some beer nuts whatever, and then they mentioned here, well, faithfully, mister Burns learned that you can't buy off. You can't win an a war by paying people money. And six months later at the Oscars, there's two elements of this. Obviously, you know, he doesn't win. George C. Scott wins with men getting hit by football, right. But what I love is that are they taking the piss out of the Academy and that this short film came out and someone else has just ripped off another film and it's winning Best Film at the Oscars? Or is that just meant to? Is that looking too much into it? I think that's really just a little bit too much ender. Okay, okay, oh my grind.
Speaker 5: I think that's one say ah my grind and have one of the most intense actors in Hollywood, you know, sort of very renowned, respected actor, just winning, finally winning and asking for my grind. Oh my grind. That's the one thing I've always loved about this episode, George C.
Speaker 1: Scott's It's just such a funny way to end this episode. But did you know that Maurice Lamar is LaMarsh Lamar from Future? Yeah, we also voiced on the critic as well, so he voiced George Scott in this episode. He voiced William Shatner. He voiced the Burps as well, both both Burps. Hey 's nice work, Maurice. Indeed, so that is the end of the episode because mister Burns does not win the oscar and he cracks the shits. Overall this episode, I don't understand the not disdain, but just the meh response that it's got many that received. Yeah, that's ridiculous silliness. Yeah, I thought this was just one of the most memorable episodes of all time due to all the moments that get rehashed in social media. It's just I just thought this is a standout.
Speaker 5: Really Oh god, it's clearly taken up space in people's minds. If it's if there's so many bits and pieces of it that are repurposed in other ways.
Speaker 1: It's so wacky that if you told me that and con O'Brian or Swartzport I wrote this episode, I believe you because it just feels like it doesn't it.
Speaker 5: It does, it does. It's full of zingers and really tightly constructed, I think, because.
Speaker 1: I think with those two guys there, when I used to write episodes, there were so many funny moments, but they all progressed the story still. It wasn't just like random moments for the sake of random moment. It was zing zing zing, zing zing and zing zinger, but continuous story flow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really really enjoyed it. What do we learn bomber, mister Davis? What did you learn from a star? As Burns?
Speaker 5: The lyrics to the oscar Awa thing?
Speaker 1: Is that what you truly like to be? Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Although, as I said, hot dogs, I'm a hot dog. What kind of kid eats I'm a hot dog? What kind of dogs? I just remember when that when they were doing it on that episode, though there was everyone was singing along.
Speaker 1: Fat kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken box.
Speaker 5: Everyone was so into it.
Speaker 1: Check out our review of Grade School Confidential. I believe that was last month's I on Springfield, Guy on Springfield, I should say yes. I hope you enjoyed. Our review of Stars Burns. Was fun to go back and revisit this one. I wasn't too sure because I remember as a kid not really liking it, and it was honestly one of the episodes when I was younger that I would sort of go ah, this one, I was sort of when I used to have my tape, so he's always one i'd fast forward it. It was never a favorite of mine, but going back now, I definitely appreciate it more. What did I learned? I learned that The Critic is likely a show that thirty four year old Dan I was going to enjoy, So I'm going to go and check it out. I actually have them on DVD both seasons, so I'm actually looking forward to checking out. I wonder if the Patron's patrons let us know, would you be interested in hearing us talk about The Critic, because I'll be happy to send you the davdat as well as the Davids, you want to check out the show as well, because I just think it's a show that honestly, now, I think it's a show where that kind of sense of humor is much more prominent and much more appreciated. I know, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I think it might be? Right?
Speaker 1: So, I mean we're all assholes, don't We.
Speaker 5: Don't tell anybody. Yeah, Patrons, get on it. If you think you'd like to hear Dan and I having a bit of a chat about that, let us know.
Speaker 1: Y send us a message on Facebook or Patreon or Simpsons Mailbag at gmail dot com.
Speaker 5: Let us know, because you'll be if we talk about the critic, you'll be hearing a lot of this Canata.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly right, all right, guys, that has been our star as Burns this month's episode of A Guy on Springfield. I'll be chucking up the poll in a week or so up in the Patreon group, so you can look out for that for the next four episodes in which you guys can vote on what we're going to review in October. I'm thinking for Otoba, miss Davis, I'm going to pick four different trios of horror episodes. What do you reckon.
Speaker 5: I think that's a very good idea, very good.
Speaker 1: Idea, indeed, a clever idea. Some would say. All right, so the next month is going to be a Treos of horror, So you guys look out for that and you can vote on that. Thank you, guys for your ongoing support. We do love each and every one of you. But for now, mister Davis, any final words for those amazing patrons out there my podcast