Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty.
Speaker 2: Five, and this is the thirty fifth class. So it's great that we've been here so many weeks together, so let us continue. I want to pick up on something last week, as we always do.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: First of all, we are talking about names and how they were turned into and from Nat asked the question about how clin becomes a cut and we gave a number, and I knew there was many more. Afterwards, someone texts me, I didn't mention David Weiss, who becomes Hallivni. That's a good one. We have many of those. Okay, let me say something else though this is not really relevant to per se to anything we have done. But it's from a proclass before one of the earlier series, which you can go to tore in Motion. But since we've spoken on aspects of Hebrew and now you're getting those who are listening to ry weed or you're getting even more into it, I thought i'd share it with you. I think you'd find it of interest, and it relates to the things that we've done in the past. Someone emailed me. In an earlier show I mentioned the concept of schma prose mashem. That's why I pronounced it for now. This is the means that God watches over the simple people. And this is derived in the taumud that and you see this going throughout then that if something is done by many people, we assume even if it could be dangerous. So I'm not going to say it's forbidden because so many people are doing it. Uh. And there's many, many discussions. Ever mosta Finction actually mentions this. That's the basis of his response, I'm about permitting smoking. Of course, it was later pointed out years later has pointed out that only applied when it wasn't so clear that it was forbid, that it was really dangerous. But once if it's a vadi danger, then you don't have this concept of God protects the simple. Now I just mentioned so, so why am I mention this all to you? Because the person who wrote to me wrote, schomer passim sfardak, you'd say, patim, and I want to show you something here. Now, this is the sort of thing I think even when we're long gone, I think you'll remember by the way this pussuk we say it. It's in hello, we don't say in our rushlo dish, it's in a hufti. But I'll show you right now. Uh. But on other days we say hello, we do say it. If you google, I think I even have it here. Let me see I google, Yeah, I googled. Hold on a second, if you google h here showmar pasaium, you could see all sorts of articles on show more passim, showmre petai em. And yet I didn't mention this to this person who emailed me, but he might be listening. Now. If you look in the pussok the pussocks into Hillem one sixteen, we know this pussic. I'll have to keep smell because I said it's in hello, look in pussockvove. The word is not schomer passim, even though I grew up saying showmar pasaim. Also, if you look carefully, you see it's show meer pasa yim. That's how it has to be pronounced. And if you google this petaim and pasaim, there are some people who get it right. But uh, everyone says showmar pasilium, including if you google see one of the real Godoli Strow. But that's not what it says. It's pasa yim that alif is not does not have a sound. Other places we have the So for example, in in Peric, what peric is this until the one nineteen If you look at verse one thirty, the last word, it's pessayem and that's how you have it. In many places. In Tanach the root is pay tough youod pessi petti uh, so it's pesa yim. Why there's an oliph there, it's not clear, but we have this this idea that you have olives which are are not pronounced. I'll give you another one if you want to see an olif that's not pronounced. A lot of people get this wrong, including people who have the name. What am I speaking about? So for example, we have the name Daniel. Maybe some of the people listening to us are Daniel. And then you have the female name Daniella. So if the affreage person, if you ask them the name, how to pronounce the name, they'll say Donielle, donnie and an L. That's say, under the alephf Donielle Doniella and yet and that's how it's uh written in the English. I want to show you this though. Here's the Book of Daniel. Take a look at there he is. And in verse eight or number verses, how is it written? It's written Donny yale. That's how the name is pronounced. It should be d A n I y e y l don. Then it's a dugation it because it's the Donni yelle, that's how the name is pronounced. And doni yella it's the name of my daughter. But uh so we have lots of examples of this. Incidentally, this is a good one. I like, uh here I pulled it up before. Uh. This is in Bob midbar Perico levin U plus a Dallad. Almost everyone when they pronounced this word, the first word they say hasafsuf. It's not it's hassafsuf. The oliph is not pronounced. Even though the word is asafsuf. Uh it's not pronounced. Uh okay, and we'll we know this the word ban nechA your sons. You don't pronounce the the urinate.
Speaker 1: So well.
Speaker 2: A lot of examples. Oh one more I brought up here in benching here looking Tillham thirty four, verse ten. Many people say, you're your ou it's yeru ushem. The alephi is not pronounced so for the person who asked me about the question about Ramosha Feinstein and Paseim that got me off into that. Let me put this down here. Okay. The other thing I want to just pick up I don't have so much like in previous weeks is I want to return and I think Rabarie lay for mentioning a few things. Just so we mentioned the last class with Ramanosha Cline and a couple of things here I want to show you by the way, I when I listened to it, I saw I made a mistake. No one pointed this out. I said that Ramanosha c Line and Elieuisel were at Buchenwald and then Auschwitz. Of course it's the reverse. They're now Schwitz and then Ay they were being tryed. Uh uh. They come from the Hungary and being they were deported there and then at the end they they moved them to Buchenbault. I mentioned, I'll first, I'll show you something interesting. I mentioned, uh, how Ramanasha deals with rough cook. So here let me just show you. Here's one of the pages is Mishnah a Haut. I don't know what volume this is. Here, Oh it says that says at the bottom volume ten. If you look on the right hand side here, Look how we are first to kiss fe Romban. Doesn't say massada of cook or rov cook. It's ho sauce cook, that's all. And then he has in another volume volume I found I searched on the Ozerma and uh, this is from volume eight, took on the left here where my marker is kiss a Romban cook, so he won't even say hrov cook. However, very interestingly, posthumously they published a volume of mission. He didn't publish it, his children published it. And lo and behold among the writings, they have a letter to none other the Rabby Greenblatt, who we now know well. And look what he writes in the letter. He writes right at the bottom there he writes, Rebbi green Blad has written, had written to him and cited Cook, and he writes back to him with the titles rof Cook. So well left with the question here is it that that Rabbi Greenblat changed his mind. It's it's hard to imagine because we don't really have a date here, but uh, I think perhaps had he published it himself, that is when he wrote to Rabbi Greenblat knowing who Rabbi green Blade is, he were first to of Cook. One way. We don't know what Rabbi Clin would have done had he published a safer himself. It could have been he would have removed that, or he never published this letter. Actually this letter was found among his writings. Maybe that's why he didn't publish it. I don't know, but I when I said he never mentions ro Cook in a positive way. That was based on the old Otmo. This is the new one I got recently, and in the posthumous volume he has it. But we we dealt with the rohmbamb last week and reby Klein's position. That's the just to remind you of this, what does the Rambam say if anyone who accepts upon him verses Chapter eight, verse eleven, in hechris mokrim, if you accept upon yourself the fulfillment of the seven mits vote, and you're precise in your observance, you're considered one of the pious of the gentiles, and you have a share in the world to come. And then the Rambam says that only a pies if he accepts them, fulfills them because God commanded them. But if he does it based on his own intellectual convictions, he's not a resident alien. That is, he's not a garreto chef. He's not one of the pious of the gentiles, nor of their wise men. That's the old the gears of Oh, and we said the other gear is Elhem. So the first thing is and I just want to stress this because I don't know if it was clear if Barry says I should stress it. The Rambamb never says incidentally here, although rough Cook interprets him this way that if you read it el Mehem, it doesn't mean he's saying that these people have a share in the world to come. In fact, the source that many people think the Rambamb is based on this is Madrashic source is explicit that if you do the Cheva mitzlispine Noah, just for your own intellectual conviction, you get reward in this world, but not in the next world. So if I imply it otherwise, although roff Cook does say that, then other people believe that as well, because it does say that the pious of the nations have a share in the world to come, But that doesn't mean the Rombamb understands just pious the way we think of it. Could be that the Rambam understands it to mean that you have to have a understanding of where these laws come from. It's hard to imagine if you know the Ramans philosophy. But the rough Cook himself acknowledges that, I'll be up shot. That could be the read that is is a reading, and Rabari Laibe shows me that the Hooter of Cook's own son accepts that reading. But so I just want to mention that. The other thing is that Rabarie Labe thinks that when I described Ramanasha Klin is having a particulars exclusivist view, it's really not correct. It's not like we're going to see today the Kousenberger, because all Rabbi Manasha Klin is doing is following the Rumbum the way he understands him. Well, first, let me just note that the Rumbum could be understood different ways as well. But second of all, what I said about Ramanasha Colin is that he actually says that all the non Jews are reshine because they don't observe the shov myspost because God gave them, which I said is a very unusual view, and you really don't find that among others. It's very it's not that common, let's put it that way. But leaving that aside, I myself said Rabarier that the Rambam's own view is particularistic. We said that I developed the whole idea, that this notion that we have that anyone can have a share in the world to come and all these things, and we're not like that. We don't have this conception of there's no salvation outside the Senegague. I said, the rumbumb doesn't have that view. So I already mentioned that. What I would also say, however, is that there's a reason why, at least in the circles that I am, this approach to the rom bomb is not so accepted because it doesn't it doesn't feel good, it doesn't feel right, and we have other traditions. So I do think from a nashaklient has its own take on it. But I said last week already, and I first want to say that the rambambs it is theself particularistic because even with Ella mirhach Me maybe didn't stressed enough with Ella Mihchach may Am it depends how you understand a huss It is a husted above or below the rachm. But listen, we could find plenty of examples in the Rombomb, or may not plenty a bunch of examples in the Rombomb that what he says, very few people today would feel comfortable with. That is the whole point of humanity is intellect, and if you don't feel like an animal. There's all sorts of things that the Romam says that people would not feel so comfortable with the notion of a nebachapy chorus that if you don't know any better, you're a heretic notion in the world to come. We'll get into this later, the dispute and the realm and the rife, but there's many things in the rom Bomb that are just they're hard to stomach today for people because we have another tradition also that just emotionally we're more attached to. That's not to say the realm's not right, but at the end of the day, we can never determine who's right on these things, so it makes sense that people are more inclined to one versus the other. Okay, let's leave that there, and let's move on. Okay, my friends, we are picking up in the safer number one twenty nine. If you were call. This is to ramanach Amram And the last thing we spoke about is I introduced you to his response them. And there's a few questions. The first is the rumbum that we saw where the rumbum says that here we show to you again. I found a number of commentaries this week. I was looking at it to discussed this rumbum where are we here? It is? It's in Hikos the Laws of Murder, chapter four in see where is it? Test nine? Here you go. He says that although there are other sins that are more serious than murder, they do not present a serious danger to society as murder does. Even idol worship and needles to say, incests, which we said is sexual immorality and the vials of shabas are not considered as severe as murder. For these sins involve man's relation ship with God. Well, murder is man's relationship with alow Man. So murder is the worst because it leads to destruction of society and idle worship and violations shabis, they're not as severe. So then what are the sins that we said that are more severe than murder? That was the question. So I raised that too with the Rabbi Kam and he has a very long response him. I'll just call attention to the highlights of it, in which he goes into this in great detail. He raises the question, for example, what about hilahem hilasm to say, just say that you can't repent for this, you can repent for for murder. Now, the rombamb says that he says this in two places as far as I know, and he'll three places, Kristchuva and Hillstaeos. He says that a murderer has no share in the world to come, But that only means if you don't repent, if you repent, even a murder as a share in the world to come. Now, this idea of the Rumbam where he says that a murder has no share in the world to come, it's hard to know where this comes from. It doesn't appear anywhere in the Gomorrow. There's been a lot of discussions where this comes from. The Kassa Mishna on the spot says in Hokros Chuva, where the rama says this that I don't know where he gets this from, but we actually do know where he gets it from. The Raman provides a source in his commentary on Ovos, which I don't know if the Kssa mission had in Hebrew. He says, he quotes the tota as saying as follows, for three things, man is punished in this world and has no share in the world to come, and one of the three things is murder. Now we don't have this toa but the in Peya Perikz is very similar, where it says you're punished in the next world. But clearly the Rama's version is that you have no share in the next world. And we have other medieval sources that say this is well, so maybe hil la chem is worse. He discusses that, and he gives example, what's the hillah. There's been a lot of discussions about hila hm in recent days. Rabai ganak right, and I'm gonna come back to this in a few minutes with the next part of the shuva. He says, well, we are living through today. He says, we are seeing the greatest Khila shem in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And if you don't know what I'm referring to you just haven't been reading in the news. And he said this before the Antifa actions in bene Brock and everything in the last couple of days. They're going to kill someone if they don't stop them. But he just he's just referring to going without masks and everything. Uh So, we all know the Hilo shem is and what is the margive example of hila shem If a great tourist scholar does something and people learn to do wrong because of that, it's not just an individual problem. It's a hill of shem Rashi. He cites Rashi that jtebi if you cause other people to sin, that's a hill uhm. And he gives all sorts of examples of hull us m, and then he says if people see, no, I don't need to go through all these it's mostly it's a dekim do something or important people. If an average person does it, it doesn't really matter. For for a long time, I said that I had a sort of Hiddish that there is no hil washm anymore, in a sense that today you know, Jews would be arrested and do things and no one will win. Jews as a whole. They won't blame the Jewish people. They would say, look, we know they're bad people in every group, so that's just Jews doing it. But we've reached the point now where I don't I think we have to say there is kilos m because when you have entire communities acting like they're not bound by the same walls as everyone else, and with impunity or breaking it, obviously everyone's gonna look at it and say that's the tora. That's what it leads to. There's no escapingess anymore. But he begives other then he gives other examples. So for instance, what's considered a worse We like to say, we don't want to say things are worse. You know, sins are worse, but we do know that the punishments that's how that's one way we judge how something is. And so for example, murder, if you commit murder, you are you're punished with the sword herik uh that they chop your head off, right, So uh, that's but if you violate chabbists and other things, that's scila. That's considered worse. So in a sense it's worse. That could be what the Rambamb means. Now the Rambamb said, though he appeared to say that Chabas is not worse. I'll get back there in a minute. And Russian hora, he cites this why I cited in my letter to him. The Gamara says that Russian hora is the worst sin. The thing is, there's many examples where they say this, all the sins put together equal this, or all the mits put together. Those we usually assume are hyperbole, although they do say about Russian hora that, but when you kill someone, you kill one person Russian horror, you kill Uh. You know it's not just he killed the one, but uh, it's h I mean everyone who repeats it and et cetera, et cet and accepts it, you're causing all this trouble. In the end, what he concludes is as follows that what the Rambam means, let me show you the Rambamb again inside so you can see what he's how you have to read it. And it's not just him, it's or Nahama Benevich. If you look at Anakharma Benevich's commentary. He also says that since we know that stoning is worse than let's say herig with the sword. Therefore, certain things are worse. So, for example, he says, here, although there are sins that are more serious than murder, they do not present as serious as danger a society as murder does. Then he says, even idle worship, and he will say incestor violence and shabas are not considered as severe as murder, for these sins involved man's relationship with God. Well, murder also involves man relationship with his fellow man. What you have to read it is that when he says that even idle worship is not considered as severe as murder with regard to this idea that he says in the previous sentence that they don't present and the serious danger society as murder does. But from another standpoint, idolatry is even worse than murder. From so, when the ram mom says that there are other sins that are more serious than murder, he's referring to all these other ones. But when he says they do not present a serious a danger society as murder does. That's when he says idle worship it's only that it doesn't present this serious dangered society. But in other respects, it's worse. That's the best you can do. And that's what Nahara and Benovich says. Also, when you have you can judge in a verra two ways. You can judge it by what the punishment is, or you can judge it by its effect in society. And that seems to be the way to read the Rumbam that in terms of effect on society, murder is u is the worst, but other sins are worse in other ways. Look idle worship, he says. Idle worship in this respect is not as serious because it doesn't present a danger to society. I'm not sure why. I understand why. I mean, murder, you kill someone. But if everyone started, if you start worshiping idols, if you start violating shabis, that will spread to society as a whole. So that would need to be expounded upon as well. But we can leave that the second part of the question. It was a short one. I just asked him about using a tape recorder. Remember tape recorders, most of us remember tape recorders. Can you or on a computer? Actually a yes, but the same thing, tape recorder? Can you erase God's name? I mean, I knew the answer. I'm just as curious the sources, and of course the answer is yes. Because it's not written, it's not considered a permanent writing, and therefore the answer is you can. The last question, though, is the really interesting one, and that is I asked him about psychological reasons for violating Schawbis. The question is as follows. Let's say the doctors say that this person has to smoke because if he doesn't smoke, he's gonna go crazy and it could cause his death. Who knows he couldn't jump off a roof, he could, uh, he could, uh, he could harm himself, all sorts of things. He needs to smoke on shabs and you can give many examples of this that someone psychologically needs psychological I need to turn on the television. If I can't, I'm telling you I'm gonna kill myself. Of course, this raises the question. People could always threaten to do things, but what do you do? And before we read his response, I want to remind you of what the post sake in Lakewood said. I played this for you once, but it was a long time ago, so I'm gonna play it for you again. And uh oops, I got to share the sound. Also listen to this because this will be Uh. This is eye opening, but is not gonna see be what Robert Hacham says. And I don't know how far you take this here he is he says it, and then it wasn't clear. Perhaps he says it again. Listen carefully.
Speaker 3: I posted listen in the pastaisa. I want to make it clear now. Anybody in recovery, anybody doing a step work and has a haushash that he needs help. He has to make sure that his recovery is rock solid. He has a haushage that he has to call a meeting, call into a zoom meeting, attend the meeting, call.
Speaker 2: Up, attend the meeting. That means getting in your car and driving to the meeting.
Speaker 3: I guess sponsor whatever shouldn't make anyes, No, shouldn't make anyus. He has to make sure not to start on that slippery slope. Forget about shoppers, forget about you have to forget about him, kipper. You have to make that call and you have to log on. You have to attend. You must avoid that slippery slope. Baby shold should bench just all have a hormonos on old us.
Speaker 1: He you can.
Speaker 3: Pasking this lionester before. I want to make it clearer now. Anyone with mental health issues, behavioral problems, addictions working on a slow steps na essay doesn't matter. He has to make sure that his recovery is rockstylidy. Has to stay away from the slippery slope. If he thinks he and she thinks this shosh that he must speak to a sponsor. He must travel to a meeting, join a zoom meeting. Whatever it is. Whenever shop is young doesn't make a difference. He should not hesitate. We shouldn't think maybe maybe it isn't He should make sure. He should make that cool. He should log on whatever it is. He has to reach out to help, to sponsor to a meeting. You must get help, and has to stay away from the slippery slope. This is a poster. Baby should have a moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, he says, it's a posture to aha. Here we deal with someone. If you in some program, Let's say you're acovering alcoholic, you're a covering drug addict or something, and you feel it's a problem, and you feel you need to call your sponsor. You're having an inclination that you're gonna you want to take some drugs or something. You can get in your car on Shavis and a young kipper and drive to the meeting. Because of the psychological thing that then you'll start. Uh, it's a slippery slope. And remember this is far removed. I mean, because you're allowed to violate these things for pikuokfish, but the pikook nefish is not today. Presumably it's you're gonna get back in that slippery slope and you won't be able to pull yourself out of it, and that could be then uh, you know, uh, six months a year down the road. So this is a very liberal sok. I think from the road from the post sake there in Lakewood. Because of psychological reasons, Uh, you can do what you do what you feel. Remember this is an independent judgment. No one can tell you what to do except for yourself. You're the one who's struggling with addiction, and you feel you're in recovery, You're you're you feel you need to do this. He says, go ahead and do this. And that was sort of the same question I asked. Uh in the book, I said that we're not dealing with psychonista fascio's a matter of life and death from I could have said kill himself, but I said that someone he feels he needs to. It's that he needs to smoke. It's not that by not smoking he's going to die, but he feels he's going to. He's going to and uh, what should he do? I said this issos for psychological reasons, and uh, roberta Cham says that. First of all, he says, how can you Uh, smoking is a terrible thing. And he goes onto a couple of pages how bad smoking is, and therefore, how can we permit someone to violate, just violate shop us by smoking, saying it's gonna help him when we know it's bad for him. But I don't know. I mean, you're not going to based upon the logic of the we just saw the rabbi, you're not gonna die from one cigarette, but maybe you'll you'll go crazy if you don't have I don't know. It was a theoretical case. You don't haves a kasha from the mice. So we say in Yeshiva, you know you have a crazy case. I guess where I say, he feels he's going he's gonna die if he doesn't take it, So don't say, well, whoever heard is such a thing that that's the case I'm giving you. Who knows he's recovering. It doesn't have to be smoking. It could be drugs and he's smoking. Uh, I don't know, Uh what do they smoke? Heroin? I don't know what they smoke. And his argument, basically, I'll just summarize it, is that we don't we don't take into account these psychological things. These there's there's craziness that he's going to you know, we're not concerned that if he's going to smoke a cigarette otherwise if he don't, he'll come to a great difficulty that it appears to him that he's going to die. He gives an example like, let's say someone said, we don't we don't tell someone that they can jump off a roof if they say they need to jump off roofs, we don't let them smoke. But that's sort of dodging the issue. His fundamental point is that we don't allow violation shops that people have a craziness that they need to do this. So I guess maybe you can make a distinction with the rabbi from Lakewood. It's not a craziness. You're calling the uh the sponsor. But if this all has to do with the person's individual understanding. If some guy needs to be calmed down and he feels that if you doesn't have the cigarette, he's gonna go crazy and they might hurt himself and he feels that way, is that really much different than what we just saw. Someone feels he needs to drive to the sponsor because if he doesn't go to the sponsor, you can tell him the job is he needs to do that. I get the feeling that Reberchacham would say, because of his craziness, that he needs to speak to the sponsor. We don't let him drive on shobis to calm him down and then talk him out of it. I could talk you out of you don't need to drive to Joe Schmoe, your sponsor. And I mean, and what is that? I don't know. It's a I don't know how to answer this, but because I I don't know how much, so you know, we we give to the individual to tell you he needs to do something. At least Reverberchakam doesn't think if it's a craziness, But I don't know if everyone would agree with it. We just saw from the Lakewood Rabbi that you can just violate shobbists because someone feels they need to speak to a sponsor because maybe you'll fall off the wagon. I think it's a very liberal sock and very open minded and looking at it through a psychological lens. But I wonder. I don't think Rebert Hacham would agree with it, and I wonder if others. So that that's the you know, so it goes on like ten pages, it's full of learning. He was never a great rabbi, well known figure, but you see he really has his hand on many sources, and he could be right about this thing. Because ain't load of ourself. Then if every time someone feels they but again, I won't take that back. Do people really fake being suicidal? If someone says I'm suicidal, I need a cigarette. If not, I'm gonna kill myself. I think psychologists, maybe we have some listening to us, tell us that you have to pay attention if someone's suicidal, and for us it might be crazy. But is someone saying that so he could violate shopie or someone's saying it because he really needs to I think the Rabbi from Lakewood's point was that it's not for us the second guess they have to make that decision. And so if anyone wants to do some achuva or an article on psychological factors. One person instantly wrote me about this. He's writing this article, he says, on psychological factors in haw Ajah, and he thought that this was helpful for him. This response, Okay, everyone, we are finished with this. We are now on number one thirty and I'm going to introduce you now to a new figure, very really interesting figure. And this is right here Rebbie Jusil j Huda Halberston, who was the Kousenberger Rebbi Kousenberg, as he says, from Romania. It was different parts of Europe sans Kousenberg. Kousenberg incidentally had kulos. It's known as it also had a big rabbi, Rabbi Glassner, right Mosha Schmael Glasner, the door Revi. But so you have the Kousenberger Rebbi. He he suffered terribly in the war. I think he lost his wife and I believe eleven children, and he survived and he remarried and had children. He went to Israel. He established a hospital there, the famous hospital in the Tanya. We have a correspondence of him with the Ben Gurion before he went to Israel. So he really did accomplish a lot. And oh here it says has seven more children. And none of us can imagine the difficulty the life he had and his losses. So God forbid far from me to judge anything we're going to see here, but it's certainly something that we need to examine. And I'm not in the business of censoring and covering it up. It's in his faring. Some Hasida Gregby's are not that learned. They just have positions. But then you have others who are real te me coming in. They recently released I had it. I mean I've quote it from it, but I hadn't released it. There was a conversations between Rebiriak of Weinberg and Jako of Hertzog. I was claim Herzog's brother of Herzog's son who died young unfortunately, but U Yako Hertzug visited by Weinberg in Montreal, Switzerland, and they had they have a tape and they transcribed it and in there Rabbi Weinberg speaks about a certain Hasidic Rebby as being a complete ignoramus. And there were Casiitic Rebby's who were When we say ignoramus, I like to think when they say that, they mean compared to the Lithuanian Godoli. That's what Jachoa Hertzug says to him. You mean you don't really mean like a no, but like you couldn't even understand a missiona and Reby. Weinberg says, no, no, he was a complete ignoramus. And we it's never been a job qualification to be Hasidic greby that you have to be a great tom Ham. You have to be competent, but you don't need to be a great And we have examples where they're they don't know very much, let's put it that way. On the other hand, we have some Hasida Grebby's who were unbelievable. I done nim enormous temmimim authors of swar Him and all the RaBaD Rebbi's, or most of them, were like that. The gher Gerrosidos obviously Satmar, the Hungarian Hasido Krabby's Munkoch. These are Godoli, Gadolia throw and the Monk and the Koisenberger also a very very great Tam author of many Sfarim and Honlah and Humish. So I mentioned that because you can't put him in the category like, uh, you know the stam Rebbies. Now again, Rebby, you're born into it. So this never, as I said, it's not part of the job qualification that you need to be because you got the throne, whether you you know, whether you have something profound to say or not. But he really was a great tomkchm. What I began to see when I started studying his writings. So this goes back already many many years ago. Although the letter the next letter is from Rabechim Rappaport to me someone we've spoken about Rabaheim report is I began to see something in his writings that really I haven't hadn't seen in other writings, and that is advocacy of not just opposition to non Jews, but teaching of hatred to non Jews. I'll read you some passages and this troubled me. And I understood his background, but I was curious as to what if by Rapaport had any insights into this, What leads someone to write this and actually put forth this as an ideology, an ideology of actual hatred, that we should raise our children on hatred. I'm not talking about ethnocentrism here. I'm not talking about keeping to ourself that you find. Of course, that's the typical thing you grew up with, say society, and not just necessarily society. But certainly I grew up hearing that in Yeshiva. But that's an ethnocentrism. It's maybe a feeling of you're better, or feeling of contempt, but not the Hersheian idea of chosen people because chosen for service, that sort of thing. But okay, that we understand. But actual hatred very very strange to have, at least I thought.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I wrote to Rubli Rappaport about this, and he says, you wrote to me about the shades, that there's this new idea of the Koizenberger that you have to usually know, you have to hate the non Jews, and this is a great Indian that this is one of the essences of Judaism, that you should look at all the nations in a bad way, that they're all bad, and that I pray says that Jews should have it good and the non Jews should only have it bad. And I'll read you some other passages. Now this these arenother sort of things that obviously you want publicize and out there. But look, it's important to know that, uh, that it exists. And also it's also the problem is when you see passages like this, and there's others. I once gave a talk on xenophobia in among certain figures. It also complicates matters because we have people who in many ways are great and we respect them, but they say certain you'll see so I regard as outrageous things and we don't disown them, and we don't reject them. We take the good and the bad as it were, understanding that people are complicated. So why does that make Why does that muddy the wooters? Because other communities have the same thing you have. For example, in the Black community, they have this relationship with Farracan, and Jews want them always to condemn Pharracan and everything, and they like to say, well, no, of course we don't believe in the anti Semitic things, but we still you don't want to have a relationship with Farrakan because he says all sorts of good things as well, and we don't believe in throwing him out, and Jews don't like that, and Jews say, no, you have to qutly reject it. But the problem is we have it the same thing. We have people who are in our community that we learn from, and yet they're also we have this double where we say, well, we don't accept that you have. In the Muslim community, you have figures who are important figures and they've said problematic things, and often we demand that they they throw them out, and it's difficult for them to throw them out. And I'm not saying they shouldn't throw them out, but you know, it's difficult for us to throw people out, and we don't want to throw people out, and we do we do the same things. So when I learned about this, it became I don't have an answer to this, but the whole issue with them, but not just Farrican, the Black community has other figures like this who've said all sorts of anti Semitic or quasi anti Semitic stuff, and we demand action, and yet we are in the same situation. And I think you can appreciate it's not so simple for them to throw these people out when, on the one hand, have done all sorts of good things, and they've said some bad things. We have things also that we would find troubling, and so I don't have an answer. Sure, I'm just raising it. It's made it hard for me, harder for me to know what to do.
Speaker 1: So let me so.
Speaker 2: Rebby Rappaport writes back to me that, uh, this thing you pointed to is found throughout his writings, and he gives me all sorts of examples. He quotes for examples, commentary and rummage about the non Jews, that even the best of them, there's a tuma Strichhlim with snowosam. You have to hate them. And he says he includes in this even Harassideo Mussolam, because look, Rassi muslm. But that doesn't that that's between them and God doesn't mean us oil Lomm. It's gusso gooi woe is one who's going to find something positive about the non Jews. He talks about when he came to Hebby Rapport goes on, I don't need to cite all the passages. It's troubling for me, but he talks. He quotes something from another book of his that when he came to America, he says, be thirty years before it, after the war, and I wanted to say something against the United States. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy, and saying that you're thinking of the non Jews in Poland And and Hungary, but the non Jews in America are different, and why would you speak this way about them? And he replies that it was not long before they realized that America is no different. That look what Roosevelt did, that they didn't bomb the trains, the tracks to Auschwitz. And he goes on and on, and he says that he had experiences in the war that even the so called good nan Jew and non Jew from Holland turned out to be terrible, and he says that he says, it's true that you'll find sources and he says, I've seen many Sadikim that would never speak bad about anyone. Remember of Cook writes, I don't know he want a cooder of Cook. Maybe that Sadikim is a very Joe. You know, you have to love everyone and think the good of everyone until you see that there's something band He says that that and he says that's also found in the Holy books. Is now what we're taught that you're supposed to feel good about everyone and have a positive view. He says, that's only before we've seen biz my name you because Sheroi, miss rich Algol who meet us as. He says, yes, it's true that in the Holy Books it says that you treat everyone with dignity and you should respect everyone and anything. But that doesn't apply anymore because we've gone through the Holocaust and we've seen what they can do. And Reboy Rappaport says that the only way to understand the extreme statements of the Koisenberger is precisely because of what he went through during the Holocaust, and he himself tells us this, but he makes it a whole theology here that don't tell me. He says that the Sarium say you have to relate a certain way. He says, we who lived through the war while all the non Jews did nothing. Uh, he says, that's different again, be's my name you because Sharoi, miss Richli, we meet us as. It's almost like he's acknowledging that this is what in theory you should do. But it's too difficult because we see how bad they are. And Rubbi rapport. Ends his letter. He says that after the war, the attitude was we're going to kill cold gooide any non Jew we see, we should kill him. He says, in truth we never killed anyone because a Jew is not capable of spilling blood. But it's against our nature. But that's how he says the feeling was, and I'm sure that was the feeling Ellie Weisel at the end of Night, Actually you need to Naomi Simon, who spoke for Tory Motion about bass alcohol, had an article she discovered us. If you look at the first version of Night. In the Yiddish, he does speak about revenge, and at the end of it he talks about how when they got out of the camps, the boys wanted to go to the local town to rape German girls as revenge. But in the Night, in the English version and the French version, and he says, there's never any thinking of revenge, and so he really changed it. In the In the the Night that's directed in Yiddish to Jews, there is a strong feeling of revenge, but in the more universalistic, humanistic and there's nothing about revenge, only drawing positive lessons. And Elieuisel never explained that change why he changed it, and even after Simon's article appeared, he was always a lie. He never explained it. But Robert Airport doesn't give any insight other than this that we have to understand that he's responding to the Holocaust. Listen, it's striking. It's I wouldn't want this to be translated to English. I wouldn't want this to be taught. The problem is it might be being taught in certain groups and the Cuisenbergers, but it's such an unhealthy you know, even though I can understand why he feels this, but it's it's troubling to read it and look, Eliuisel lost and any other people lost, terrible, terrible I but leaving a side of the vesel has Yiddish, which was initial, maybe the initial years of the war. I think we have Juguluisel by his entire career. It's how do you again? They lost eleven children and a wife. I'm not gonna say anything about that, but in terms of a philosophy, in terms of ashkafa, obviously you can't be teaching we can't be teaching hatred of anyone. It's the worst thing imaginable. But you have this, and this is a This is the Kleousenberger. He's not some nobody. And that's with all the great things he accomplished. By the way he loves old Jews. He says that all Jews. Whereas in certain extreme Casitic groups they believe in hating those Jews who are heretics and who don't observe, his attitude is very different. He loves old Jews. It's very Hasidic. So I don't know what to make of this. You have passages like this in medieval times as well. It's part of the tradition. We can't hide it. Our tradition is so large you can find all sorts of stuff in it. But this is important for us. When you see these terrible things in Christian texts, the way they describe the Jews and all the terrible things, understand that we've also had things in our text. Granted that our things are in response to what they are doing to us, but nevertheless, today no one's doing anything to us. And then if you have this idea today, it's just there's no justification anymore. So that that's the problem when you write things down like this, even when there's is perhaps justification. That's Simon Kufflam. And then we go to Kulam and alf and another letter from reclined Rapport. This is the title of the responds to miss as follows. We're on page two eighty one, and this introduces us again to something we've seen already, necessary beliefs. I already explained to you what a necessary belief is. It goes back to the rombum. The rumbum in the Guide of the Perplexed, Book three, Chapter twenty eight introduces us to this idea of a necessary belief. The realm says, there's two types of beliefs that you find in the Tora. Those beliefs which are absolutely true here holding the guide for the perplex right here, for example, the belief in the God's unity or that he's not a body. That's absolutely true. But then the remm says, there's other beliefs that are taught, taught by the Torah, which is necessary for the abolition of wrongdoing or to get a noble quality. That is, there's other beliefs that are taught not for their own sake, but in order to achieve some good, some value. And he gives one, for example, the belief that God has violent anger against those who do injustice. The Remam says that one of the necessary beliefs is and you could see he quotes quotes a verse. What is the verse he cites? It says that in this is a verse in Shimos, my rat shall wax hot, and I will kill and so on Chapter twenty two does God have anger? Emotions? Anger? God doesn't have emotions, and the Terra describes God as having anger. So you could say the Tarres speaks in the language of man that if this was a person who did this, you'd assume its anger. But the Ramum doesn't say that. What he says is that this is a necessary belief, that it's necessary. So what does that mean? So, according to the commentators in the Rambam, the standard commentators, what he's saying here is that the Torah teaches a belief that that has a surface level and a more profound level. The intellectuals understand that God doesn't have emotions, so when it says God gets angry, that just means that God responds in a way that if it was human, you assume its anger. However, it is a necessary belief. If you look on the commentaris on the spot. They say that the masses are supposed to take this literally. That is, the Torah is written on two levels. It's written for the masses and it's written for the elites. The masses are supposed to read this, and they're supposed to really think God gets angry, and that'll keep them in line because they don't want to get got angry. He's gonna get angry at them for he in his letter to me, Yeah, So for example, he quotes the Barbonell, he says that God Shakia ms shown me Paul, that God doesn't get angry of al Sifria, Kodish, the Cyfria Kodesh attributed to him Kadeg the Hafri has shown me me on show. So as the Barbeau explains this, this is the shot of the Ramba. The scriptures, they're not just for the elites. They attribute God having anger. So the masses see this, and then when they become more intellectual, more advanced, they know it's not to be taken literally, but they are supposed to take it literally at first. This isn't like God having a body, where the Ramo says every one must be taught. He doesn't have a body. The mass is supposed to understand us, and the Rama gives another example. He says, it's a necessary belief that God responds immediately. That is, if you pray well, God will respond immediately. The odd the when you're more advanced, do you understand that's not true. If it's your time, it's your time. You know, all the prayers in the world aren't going to help you. But apparently the masses is supposed to believe that the only reason their prayers weren't answered because it didn't pray well enough. That's I don't think we have masses like that this today, but that's what the people, even our so called masses, I think are a little more sophisticated. But I don't know. If he tried to explain to the average person that God doesn't have anger, then maybe they'll, you know, the whole reason they don't want to they don't sin, is because God has anger. The Rambum gives another example that well, I don't need to give up more examples. So this is a major theme in the Rambu, and the scholarship is always divided. So what are the necessary beliefs? The Rumbum gives you two. Are there other necessary beliefs? The problem seems to hint in many places that he is saying things as a necessary belief. So the rem says one thing in one place and more radical thing in another place. The more conventional thing is out there and everyone can see it. The more I guess radical idea of the rom bomb he covers it up. It's not so clear. It's always it's even not so clear if that's what he's saying. But the Ramam in the introduction to the guy tells you who's going to contradict himself. And the conventional teaching is going to be out there for the masses to see. And the more I guess profound teaching which the mass is not supposed to see, you have to dig deep to get it. So the rambamb already tells us therefore that he has necessary beliefs, And in the Guide for the Replex he speaks about other things that the masses need to accept on faith. But the intellectuals will understand it's not true. So the big arguments among the scholars is various ideas of the roum bumb is it when the realm says this thing here? Is it a necessary belief or does the rom bumb really believe it? So that that's an issue in the scholarship of the Rambam. So I wrote this article unnecessary belief, so I go through the whole debate. What I was interested in doing in this article is citing, and this is one of the themes I've always been interested in, where you have in traditional texts the same ideas you have in academic works. And he responds, I sent him the article ahead of time. We spoke about this article already, and he said, he gave me another example of a necessary belief. According to the commentary Shamptov that the Rambam says, the Rambam says that there's he in one place. He says that you know he employed, He says, remplies, I forget now that there's no death without sin. But really the Rambam believes that there is death without sin, and this is just a necessary belief. That's what a commentary Shumtov is. But then the rapport raises a good question, which I'll try to answer now about. But I just told you about the necessary belief about God being angry. Drum says, this is necessary belief. The mass is supposed to believe this, it's a necessary belief. It's not a true belief. And yet if you look in the Mission of Torah, right, and Duramam tells you in what chapter is this? Oh, I don't even know what chapter in the mission. I think it's in Hmm, I don't I don't remember whi chapter of the mission tar it is? But oh you hear it is perakal it off your base, he says. Duruma himself says in the Mission of Torah that God has no anger. And when it says God says I gem angry, that's supposed to be understood figuratively. Sir Amrapera raised the question what's going on here in the morning of him He says that this is a necessary belief that the mass is supposed to accept and believe that God really gets angry, and only the intellectuals in all otherwise. But here you have in the Mission Torah, he says, it's straight out. So how could it be a necessary belief if it's in the Mission of Torah, which is uh, anyone could pick it up and read it. And he gives it as a question. He says, Betail Buzzamuna, it says by saying it explicitly in the Mischatar, the rob seems to have totally abolished the necessary belief because he's telling everyone that God doesn't have anger. And I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction, because the people who are reading the Missionatara are not part of the masses. They are already the elite. The Rambam when he writes necessary beliefs in the Morn of Uhim, is not a soud. It's not a secret. He's not hiding it. It's not like some of the other necessary beliefs that the common hatter's point to where you have to go beneath the surface. The realm im is saying it straight out. So it's so that this is he's explaining why the Tara writes it in a certain way. The Missionatara is not a work for the masses. And if you can read the Missionataro already you're able to understand that God doesn't have anger. It's not an emotion. That doesn't change the fact that the average man on the street, who in the Rama's day was great ignorant that it's uh It's important for them to really believe that if I do this sin, God will be angry at me. What you're supposed to explain to the masses that God really doesn't have anger and this and that that's already too complicated and there's no reason to explain to them because it's not a problem. To believe that God has a physical form, then you're a heretic. So the Rama says everyone must be instructed that God is a physical form, everyone including the ignorant. But to think God has a God has emotions like this, that's uh he until they're willing to move beyond it. The Rama doesn't have a problem with this, and okay, so that's uh that. That's how I would explain it, although he leaves it as a question what to do with that? Oh, I already see it's nine to twenty six, So let me just say, well, what we're gonna get into next week and then take questions next week. We returned to another thing from rather Appport about the issue of fear of the showgig. We all know that there's own, there's show gig and me, and you do something intentionally and you do something without knowing accidentally, so you don't know what schabas. Let's say what about beliefs. We'll deal with the major dispute between the Rama and the Riva and what the lababach Rebby had to say about this, That is, is there such a thing as what Rahaimslovchik termed the nebahapy chorus? Can you be a heretic without knowing any better?
Speaker 1: Or no?
Speaker 2: Do we assume that if you don't know any better, you don't know any better. This is a major dispute that begins in medieval times and takes us all the way the contemporary days. And I raised a question because there's something that labavich Rebbi said which seemed to contradict everything I thought I knew about the Lbabachrebby and how he related to these matters. And we'll deal with a couple return to Revy Maazousi, deal with a couple more things dealing with theology, and then we're going to get into some some political stuff and some literary stuff and historical stuff, all sorts of We're going to move into area as history of of great rabbis, of a scullas some all sorts of stuff. Just wait. Ruben a Mosic, the rugged shover Delmetago, Yeshiva University, the rash bomb on the first pasoka brat chase, uh, how to pronounce certain words? There's the letters are along between read me and Rabbi Masu's Rabbi salavachik a bunch of stuff. So but where we're really uh? We now are about uh. We're less than one hundred pages from the end of the book. So we were making we're making progress here. So let me get to the questions now and see what was said here today. I learned much from the questions as Jules and Carlos at the beginning. You can see behind me have the encyclopage. Day I get here. They did a new encyclopaga about ten years ago, but I still like this one. And uh, it's still a great work. The Jewish Encyclopedia is still a good work. Believe it or not. You can go to the Jewish Encyclopedia online and you can find still good articles. Obviously you needed a new encyclopedia. Josan cyclopedia was before the Holocaust, before the state of Israel, before the whole twentieth century. But it's still it's still good. And that says the latest issue of the journal of Allandaver Society that arrived in the Mail a few days ago has an article with Rebbel Joseph garrel beck Offer titled Schumarasi Hashem and the novel Coronavirus. Okay, well not then you could inform him if you want that it's a pasaiem Uh. I didn't know that they they were restarting it. I'm mel set. I think that they were restarting it. I spoke about the journal. But yes, it's uh. It's pronounced uh pasaim. There's no no vow under the alphuh. So Barr said that what we saw from the rabbi from Lake who was staying for people in recovery, yeah, well what does that mean. That's what we're dealing with, someone who wants to stop what they're doing. Obviously, if anyone who wants to speak into a sponsor is struggling with addiction, that's what it means. Anyone struggling with addiction and people in recovery are different than regular people. Anyone who's struggling with an addiction. And he said that explicitly, is he's including anyone. If I'm struggling with an addiction, I'm trying to get out of it. Then that's recovery. I'm trying to recover. It's not a medical thing. Anyone who's trying to get out of their addiction. If I need to speak to my sponsor, if I need to get a hold of them, he won't answer the phone because the job is if I need to get in my car and go over there, that's what he said. Suzanna says, I know of from psychiatrist who said that a particular patient with a psychotic disease should could play video games on shobists to maintain as equal librium. This is this sort of thing that I don't know how you can really give specific answers because everyone is different, and I think we saw that with what the rabbi from Lakewood says. You have to know yourself why I'm getting in the car or why I'm getting on the zoom. And obviously if you're getting on the zoom, you're not getting on to check the news and things like that. Otherwise you have the old conservative hector. You could drive to Sholann Shabis, but you can only go to show on shabas. You couldn't do anything else, and that never could last because if I'm driving to show on shobas. Then what's the problem to be stopping off at the gas station or stopping off at them? All, Howard says, was the posting from Lakewood talking about calling the sponsor or driving to the sponsor. He said both. He said calling the sponsor, which you could say is durabona. But then he says traveling. When he says traveling, he doesn't mean walking there because he doesn't have to tell you that traveling means getting in the car. I guess you'd take a cab. That's better than driving. But he said, do whatever you need to do. I don't know if all the other posting would agree, but that's what he says. You can can send you the link whatever you need to do, including traveling to go there. Maybe the AA doesn't you need to be there in person. You need to be at the meeting. That's the context. They have a Tuesday night meeting and you need your Friday night meeting, and you need to get to the meeting, and you can't walk there. David Eisen says Apropo Chew Vote and Mental Health and entire Safer of Chew Vote is about to be published by of the only Rosenswag entitled not very interesting, You're only rosen Swag. He actually teaches that Linden now where my daughter is. He's one of the young up and coming Rude Scionist rabbis and has written a number of volume I think it's three if I'm a mistaken maybe two of chew Vote. So he's publishing, David says on mental health, I guess he would deal with this issue of mental health. Mental health is something we know a lot more about than we know previously. If you look in the early rites, dah mentions that you know they what is the word he uses, I forget the Hebrew term. It means melancholy. It's like he speaks of having melancholy. We see earlier figures speak about you know, this bad ruach upon them. Today we would be able to categorize it very differently. And that's one of the areas I think mental health that post came today. I think I know of Usher. Weiss is also interested in that the answers you'll get will be different than years ago because we understand it much more than in previous years. Jay Yellen says perhaps an addict is viewed differently because he has an essence lost his free will, and as different stas an ordinary person who has free will. That's a very good point. That he doesn't have free will he can control, so he'd be in a different position. But I don't know the only thing I would say to that is the question I had was dealing also with someone who sort of wasn't ordinary. He felt that he had to smoke or he'd go crazy, or any you can give any example, But where do you do what I've got to say? Someone says I have to eat the tarfus or I'll go crazy. I don't know where we already mentioned the Gamur has the case. See my question was the Gamur has the case that you can't even speak to this woman that you feel you need to uh talk to even if it calls you to die because of Benosi Serrail, you'll turn the daughters of Israel to a f care. So my question was, well, maybe in that case you couldn't do that, because then you turned the Benosi ceural into afcare. But if you didn't have that, it was just between you and let's say God, you'd be able to I don't know though what the ya Yakov, I don't know, when would an ordinary person have this. If an ordinary person has such strong feelings, doesn't that make you mean they're not ordinary? I don't know Howard says the post take from Lakewood doesn't seem to be seeking theoretically, he seems to have knowledge of actual cases. Indeed he does. As Barrel pointed out, this is an organization. There's this organization, what does he say, I'm moudim that deals with people with problems of substance abuse. This is a problem in Lakewood and other Hiati communities, and they recognizing that this is a reality and they have to do something with it. So uh, and they've had it, You've had overdoses, you have all sorts of things. Obviously, if someone can't get to the sponsor or can't do something and overdoses instead decides to take the drugs and ends up dying, clearly this was a mistake. And any rabbi who said to him that he shouldn't, you know, call the sponsor go on zoom has bought on his hands. By the way, well, before we go further with the questions, it is one more thing I wanted to mention, because we're talking about the Koch Newish. I forgot to mention this. I'm going to say something which I think some of people listening I might get hate mail, but it's what I think, So why don't I say it? It's my feelings. Uh Rabbi Hachan was talking about newfish and he develops what pikoch nefish is, and that because you feel you're going to well, you need to smoke it or anything like that. That's not the kooch netfish. We are living through incredible times because the whole idea of pikooch nefish needs to be rewritten or re understood, at least the way everyone thought about it. If you would have told me a year ago that we'd be seeing what we'd be seeing, we never would have believed it. Because knefish is supposed to be the biggest thing in the world other than you have to give up your life, you have to you have to violate young kipper instead of if you have to save your life. And yet we are witnessing people who have giant weddings five thousand people weddings, no masks, with no concern whatsoever about bikorochnefish. It's it's an incredible thing. People and these are the same people who are so medoctic on the small list most instant. If they've been hugging because in their court they did this, then that's that's the valuevlar. But on bikoochnetfish and isn't just the theoretical concern. The numbers in these communities are astounding and the carnage is unbelievable. How to explain this, I don't know how to explain this. I don't understand it. I what I'm gonna say now, I said people will maybe will attack me, but I to me, I'm looking at it. It seems like it's reform to a type of reforign Judaism, because and I know Raby Weinberg and the Rov would agree with this. Theholahs says, for instance, if you were to say you're ill like Regelia Feinstein was, and the doctor says you will die unless you eat on young kipper, then you have to eat on goodper You can't if you say no, no, I'm too pious, I'm I'd rather die than eat. That's that's that's reform Judaism. That's your reforming Judaism. The laches you have to eat and by the way that the Sadducees were religious. The sad Ducees did dull sorts of religious things. They were more strict than the rabbis in certain areas, so were the cat rights.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean they weren't reformers.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So I this this idea that pikouoch netfish. We are seeing that entire communities have said pikouch netfish is not applicable because we need to have giant weddings, and we need to have giant simhas, and we need to do all this. And this is piko nefish, something that we violate your young kipper for and uh and yet it's irrelevant pich ne fish. It's it's uh I I people are gonna be writing about this for years. How to explain how otherwise observing communities do not seem to care about the tourist veraibeham that you have to live and not put yourself into danger needlessly, Jay says Jako of Rebik. Kelman is a German bachelor of Canada. Yes, he was gonna be Chief Rabby of England. He was chosen, then he got ill and unfortunately he passed away. He was he became close to rob Rijak of Weinberg. He was a tumultover versus Alma Meltzer. A great figure, Bark says, the Nasha Katta and a kind of deep connection to the Kousenberger Rebbe indeed he did. You can read there's all sorts of good stuff about the Kousenberger, and they published his correspondence with Ben Goryan and his true vote. There's in the book of the Godolian that I showed you that I had that piece on the stipe where there's a thing in there about the Kousenberger. Someone privately emails me of a Rabbi Abraham Ye, doctor Abraham Torski, who also did a lot of work with addictions and mental health. I can say that, especially an addict who feels shaky in his sobriety and needs to talk to a sponsor or to go to a meeting, this in indeed can be a life threatening event. The slippery soap can be very steep, and someone who has been cleaned and sober slips and starts using again is very likely to overdose since they will be using the same amount they used to stop before stopping. They could then they could tolerated dose. They cannot now I think, uh, I think, but this comes from knowing the personal sense, I mean understanding this, and it took a while for people to understand how dangerous these addictions were. And I'm not sure that all the rabbis would go as far as what we just saw with the post Sake from Lakewood against Rabbi Torski with the eye. When I was at Harvard, you know, he's famous with Abraham Torski, so people would they would confuse Abraham with Isdor Torski. They are in totally different areas and he is a big tamakochem rebby Doctor Abraham Towrski even has correspondence with the Snipler, but he's not a post Sake. I don't know if he ever gave suck on this, but you did see the soaka. This is one of the biggest post scheme in Lakewood. And I don't know anyone disagrees with what he says. I just found it interesting. Justin asked, aside from contradicting sources, how are Howard stam do with the elitarian Israel visa VI non Jews healthcare. I don't know, obviously, Jews go before non Jews in all these areas. But for him it's it's only it's not really practical. It's all theoretical. I mean, it's not practical in a sense that how we deal with them per se. It's just an attitude. He's presenting an attitude, and he himself acknowledges that because of what we saw during the Holocaust, we can't view non Jews. Maybe the non Jews the olden days were better than our non Jews. Our Jews are world though. I think we usually assume it's just the opposite that Abba says, we pray hash you come, dumb mom. Yeah, but who is the who is the dumb mom? The mom is the the bad people, it's not. I think it was Rebbe Lao who said it yadvahev uh. I think it was very low, that we don't blame children for the sins of their ancestors, and that a new generation. It's a new generation. I mean, what are you gonna So, yes, we do pray. We're not like the Christians. It was amazed when I started working with Christians that this idea that you'd say that we want this person to be punished, and all they have this a very different perspective. Even Columbine, if you know Columbine, the uh, these kids came in and they shot up killed a number of students. Well, so they put up crosses in memory of the students killed, and then they put up crosses in memory of the killers who killed themselves, because in since they do were victims. It's I've had people tell me that that we shouldn't even wish evil on Hitler. We should hope that he's found his peace and that leave it to God. I mean, we don't have that view obviously. We say, but who is the dumb Who is the dumb one? It's it's not the it's the people who responsible for it. It's not the the innocent person, especially not the Hasidium. Most o them you can find plenty Piseiic Howard, but if you google Psayim and Petayim you will find them as well. So and David tells us the Israel Ministry of Health report today the spread of COVID among the great popular community Israel is six times that of the general population. And they announced today the Rabbi doctor Torski as coronavirus people get it even if they try their hardest. People get it doing normal things. Family members come over. What I'm referring to, though, is events when you know it's a problem when you go and you have huge weddings, which and huge events, and you have family gatherings when you're told not to, and that's exactly what happens. That's that's what I'm referring to. And I can't understand why people would do it, and it so was Avramyoshu Heschelb and Duvorolavi. I will let me just say one more thing and then one with this. So you hudn Meshi Zahov, the head of the Zaka, who comes from the most extreme you know Mtary Carter type background, has a complete turnaround and does amazing work. Well, his brother died recently, and then his mother died, and while he was sitting shiva, his father died. So if you saw in the news of Corona, you saw the great attack. He attacks the rabbis. He says they have blood on their hands because they were said, there's no big deal. You can get together. And what happened was he told his mother and his family is an extended family. They all got together for Akhnika party I look, I understand his sorrow, but you're blaming the rabbis. I don't know. Everyone needs to be autonomous. It's yeah, the rabbit I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Does that community in that community, Maybe it doesn't. The rabbis have I think they need to have some responsibility for not speaking out, but there also has to be some autonomy that that.
Speaker 4: They don't think of that community. Whatever the rabbi says is what they do better or worse. I'm not I don't disagree with the you're saying, but I just think that's how that community works.
Speaker 2: The rabbi say, that's taur and that's it. Heard immunity. I understand they think they think they think that they're immune now, but they were doing this in March and April when you know the pe. We have people in this show listening to us who are from Brooklyn and they will tell you when you saw in the news the bodies were piling up every day every day, terrible carnage and whatever happened, that's our big an act, aust whatever happened to be cook.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the electure on Zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen