Speaker 1: Astonishing Legends Network Disclaimer. This episode includes the usual amount of adult language and graphic discussions you've come to expect around here, but in the event it becomes an unusual amount, expect another call from me.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome back to Scaret all the time. I'm Chris Klari, but I'm deaf now, I gotta keep it down. I'm too excited when we start the show. But today there's a reason that I'm so excited, and that is because we are talking about a disease that might not actually exist, or it might be a government conspiracy, or it might be caused by chemtrails or genetically modified organisms or alien nanotechnology, or maybe maybe it might be caused by scratching yourself until fibers from your T shirt get stuck in the wound, and then you show those fibers to a doctor who tells you to see a psychiatrist. What And then you go home and get on the internet and find fourteen thousand other people who are also pretty sure that the government put little fiberworm in their skin.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: This week, that's right, We're going to piss off the comments section by talking about more Gallon's disease. The scariest part of Morgallon's disease that the people who have it, or at least believe that they have it, are in genuine, documented measurable pain. Their lives fall apart, some kill themselves. The CDC has spent a small fortune investigating it, but after twenty plus years of research and debate, the question is really no closer to being settled than it's ever been. Is Morgallon's disease real? Is it fake? Or is it both?
Speaker 3: What are we screwed? When are we all the time? Now? Which is time for time on Scan? Hey, welcome back to the show. As you know, we've been doing less housekeepings just to kind of keep the train moving here. But we got a really funny review on Spotify, of all places, and we figured we'd read it and do a couple five star reviews because it's been a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys know what you love it If you leave a five star review, we are continuing our promise to read your five star reviews. So this one was left on kids who kill their parents by Fedi he Key left the review that reads as such, have I listened yet?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Am I reading the title of this podcast in the dark trying to get my son to sleep. Yes, did I almost scream and karate chop my son when he snored? Absolutely? And that's just reading the title. It's scared all the time? They deliver five stars. Oh hell yeah. There's a lot going on in that review too, so we like to hear thank you, Fei. I hope you never karate chop your son.
Speaker 3: It also sounds like from the beginning of the review the kid wasn't asleep, and by the end of those sentences a few sentences, the kid was snoring. So job well done, Job well done, John. All right, cool, well let's go to a let's go another one, and since we're since we're here, I'm gonna do one by Casey O. Five stars. When are we scared? Question mark all the time? Exclamation point. I think it's a reference to our theme ben here since the beginning, and I all caps love it. These guys put in so much effort, well thank you to make this show amazing. I look forward to the weekly episodes and I learned something new every time. And if you haven't joined the Patreon, what are you doing? Holy smokes? They're live stream every I added Holy Smokes. Their live stream every month feels like a big friend's hangout and and I look forward to it every month. The discord is pretty sick as well. Great community to be a part of. Keep up the great work. Hoses Boys, I think they've been Hose Boys, but I like Hoses Boys better. This Boys is pretty good. Thank you, Casey.
Speaker 2: That is we We know you, we love you, and we try to make the live streams feel as much like a cookout without a grill as possible. We just hang out, We have some drinks, we talk about weird news. We uh. We recently instigated we shouldn't be instigating anything, not instigating anything. We recently installed a fourth live camera. Oh yeah, you'll have to come see to believe. If you come to the live shows.
Speaker 3: And then after you do, you'll say, that's another thing you probably shouldn't have done.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we have a great time. So thank you, Casey, and that I think will do it for one more?
Speaker 3: Do do you have another one? Up? I have one more? I can do.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your one more?
Speaker 3: Well? This one just because it's open. Amelia seven eight says five stars and then this is probably a bad one. To have chosen Ariskophanes question mark Pasadena, question mark is the subject the body is. It's just fun listening to Chris's mispronunciation of various words and ads sass equips.
Speaker 2: Wait, hang on, have I mispronounced Pasadena?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I was thinking there's gonna be more U mispronunciation in this that I would be fucked trying to pronounce. But it turns out it's not the case so far, unless I don't know if Aristophanes is correct. I'm saying I don't know. But anyway, back to the how fun it is to hear you fuck up and me be fun. They've both reignited my love of old horrorflicks and unlocked fears I didn't even know I had. Thanks for all the sleepless nights to come exclamation points, Thank you, Amelia. It's nice to know people like all the good things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Amelia. I I'll make sure to mispronounce things just for you in the future. Pasidena or I don't know. I don't even know how I could have messed up Pasadena, but I mess it up.
Speaker 3: You, Amelia will say, you fucking Amelia bro I.
Speaker 2: Ameliate it all right, guys. Well, yes, leave five star reviews on Apple become a verb. They're easier to find. You can leave them on.
Speaker 3: Spotify as well. We do check the Spotify.
Speaker 2: Comments, but preferably Apple become a verb. Get used on the show, Get on the show.
Speaker 3: Speaking of using, if you use fucking YouTube, subscribe, subscribe to our YouTube. We're doing a lot more video and that's something we are not necessarily prioritizing, but working hard on. So it really helps out if people can subscribe and not just watch them. So on the list of things you can do and should be doing and we demand you do, it's the five star reviews, and then in this case also YouTube. We'd like to do more shit there.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're sort of like God in that we demand you do certain things and then you earn our eternal love. Exactly so until until we hear from you, enjoy more Gallon's Disease. So ed, Before we fully dive down the more Gallon's rabbit hole, I gotta ask you, have you ever heard of this before? Or am I talking to a blank slate?
Speaker 3: You usually are?
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 3: This is the guy that drove around the globe in his boat car and was that disease scurvy?
Speaker 2: No, I think you're thinking of Magellan. And I don't know what diseases he had, but I'm sure he had a lot of them because he was a sailor. In the he drove a boat car sixteen hundreds or something.
Speaker 3: He sailed a boat. I don't think he was a boat car. Do you remember an age of empires who can put in codes and get like a Dodge viper.
Speaker 2: I never knew that now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it gets shot missiles and stuff sick. Yeah, so you can be like nice ziggurat or whatever and just shoot a bunch of missiles at it. Anyway, that's where my mind went. So in this version, this is a version of Magell that you have a cheet code where he gets a sick boat car and he's firing disease out of it via missile. Yeah. Is that what this episode's about? No? Oh shit.
Speaker 2: At least, then this episode is about a disease that I think I first encountered back on this conspiracy message board that used to exist called Abovetopsecret dot com.
Speaker 3: I think you've mentioned it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it exists anymore, but there was a period of time there from right around when I graduated high school to when like twenty ten, twenty eleven, maybe when I was out here that I was on that website a lot. It was a crazy No, I never moderated it, but it was it was all. There was always something wild being posted there, and they were my introduction to a lot of bizarre Internet conspiracy subcultures, but more Gallon's Disease stuck with me because it's a lot like gang Stocking.
Speaker 3: Oh, here come the emails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I said, we're gonna piss off the comments section.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know what it was now I thought it was a boat car.
Speaker 2: It's more like gang Stocking than a boat car. It lives in a really interesting gray zone. That fascinates me. Any topic like this fascinates me, where you have people who are suffering from something and they are clearly suffering for real, but what they are suffering from is probably not what they think it is, and the fact that they can't accept what it might be is creating more suffering.
Speaker 3: Like a It's not like a Munchausen biproxy thing.
Speaker 2: No, although Munchausen biproxy does sort of figure into the story of mor gallons. But we'll get to that. Okay, So more gallons For those of you who are uninitiated to this world. It is defined as quote from this is from PubMed a paper on PubMed. The disease is defined as quote a disfiguring and perplexing skin condition associated with spiral kettle infection and tickborn illness.
Speaker 3: Ticks again tics.
Speaker 2: It has some similarities salime disease rimeszy is fucking such a shit disease, all right, So people who are suffering from Morgallons disease, the symptoms are very, very weird. It is a person who believes that they have sores on their arms that grow strange biological fibers out of the sores. According to a paper examining the history of Morgallons published on PubMed, quote, the distinguishing diagnostic feature of more gallons is spontaneously appearing alternative skin lesions that contain unusual filaments lying under, embedded, in, or projecting from the skin. The characteristic filaments are microscopic, visually resembling try microscopic, microscopic. Well, people know what they have it they I don't think that it means well, I should say the quote here is that the the filaments are microscopic. I think kind of what it's saying is that they are often examined beneath a microscope. They are small, very small fibers that people pluck from these wounds. They don't they are visible to the naked eye, but you can't you can't tell like if you when you pluck one off, you can't necessarily tell what it is without using a microscope. It's not like, oh, this is from a T shirt or this is it's a very tiny thin film.
Speaker 3: Gross to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So so they have these very tiny, nearly microscopic, will say, uh, filaments visually resembling textile fibers that are white, black, or more vibrant colors such as red or blue. It's a very poorly understood condition for a lot of reasons that we're going to get into with a worldwide distribution and an estimated self reported number of cases that reached over fourteen thousand people in the year two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Just that year, or they're saying by two thousand and nine it was fourteen thousand people. And when I didn't sleep for three days I was working on that project. And then I kept telling you that I was like seeing like little moving hairs on on the T shirt, so like make T shirts to ship out, yes, And then I was like, the fucking the shirt's breathing was lucidating. But then I ended up washing that shirt. As someone whoever got that shirt who knows has been washed because it looks washed. I was like, Oh, I think the Washington took care of it.
Speaker 2: Took care of what the fact that it was breathing.
Speaker 3: I remember taking like the shirt outside and it had like these little red hairs that were on. It was crazy. But anyway, I'm not saying that's what these people are experiencing. No, but I didn't sleep for three days and I thought my clothes had more gallons. So you know, who knows where we're going to go with this.
Speaker 2: There's another symptom though, In addition to the very strang fiber production that seems to be a part of this disease, some patients may experience a sensation notice formication. Have you ever experienced formication?
Speaker 3: Ed know what that is?
Speaker 2: It's not what it sounds like that like when you wake up in the morning as a puddle and then later in the day. No Formication is the scientific term for stinging, biting, creeping, and crawling sensations on the skin.
Speaker 3: Ew.
Speaker 2: So you've got fibers, you've got creeping, stinging, biting, crawling sensations on the skin, and the symptoms are not limited to just those in formification or whatever, formicationication, chemokela, formication. Formication is simply like, if there was actually a centipede on your arm, would it still that you wouldn't describe that sensation as that.
Speaker 3: It's only like if you're having a sensation. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know if formication is only the definition for that term, if there's not actually a physical object causing it. YEA, yeah, I don't know. I don't know. I didn't I didn't look it up to see what the difference would be between stinging, biting, creeping, and crawling sensations caused by a real bug versus a fake.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I also wonder if a doctor would ever ask that, they'd probably just be like, are you feeling stinging? They wouldn't be like any formication.
Speaker 2: No, probably probably not, probably not. It's just a I think it's a funny word, and i'd never heard it before, I didn't know what it meant, so I wanted to let the audience know. It's another great bar trivia answer, Yeah, formication under consent of the king.
Speaker 3: And if you want someone to go home with you from that bar, I don't mention. Don't mention any of the experiencing formacation. There's other symptoms too.
Speaker 2: According to a study of More Gallons that the CDC undertook in twenty twelve, seventy percent of participants reported chronic fatigue lasting six months or more. Seventy one percent had muscular skeletal complaints okay, fifty nine percent showed cognitive impairment on neuropsychological testing, like like I have this. Sufferers would call that brain fog. I have this, Yes, well you don't.
Speaker 3: I have more gallons.
Speaker 2: You don't have more gellans. Yeah, we hope you don't. Although yes, brain fog includes memory loss, confusion, and difficulty holding a thought, which I feel like I have it. We run into multiple times.
Speaker 3: Per I have all the things. I'm a sting away from being more galloned out.
Speaker 2: Some people report even stranger symptoms, like black sweat and seed like objects emerging from the pores in their skin.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm two things away from more gallons.
Speaker 2: Now, quality of life scores were significantly below national norms. Now your back, up your back.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true. I'm below natural norms.
Speaker 2: And their quality of life scores are often worse than patients with something a little bit more traditional, like psoriasis or exima, which are also skin in these issues. I think it's really interesting, And you know, I'm not trying to draw connections here other than to say I think it's interesting that some of these symptoms, with the exception of like black sweat and fibers, are found in other diseases that are really hard to study. Fatigue, joint pain, car complications, cab type of thing, cognitive difficulties, and neuropathy are all symptoms that are commonly reported by lime disease patients and fibromiologia patients I got on and long COVID patients. So is there a connection between all of these things other than the fact that they, as we'll get into, tend to be dismissed because they disproportionately affect women, and and are you know, built around symptoms that are hard to physically diagnose. I don't know, but I do find it interesting that there's a there's a common thread, excuse the pun, between all of those diseases.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be really interesting if COVID. One of the symptoms of COVID was black sweat or like ejecting seeds yep, because that would be like everyone knows it's November, COVID seasons on the rise, like say, away from anyone bleeding black sweat or Johnny apple seed type they have pods emerging from their necks. Yeah, wait, that would be really interesting, Like I don't even know what the world would be. No, I don't even know what the world would be because you know, you know, like remember when COVID. Look, we had a vaccine, but it was whatever, but you saw to go to weddings and people were like, oh I tested fine, and you never know, you know, if people were lying, Yeah, you fully know people were lying to your face, like they definitely were coughing like a day earlier. They just didn't want to. But the idea of someone lying to you like the way my niece lies, which it was a little kid, where they're just fully like drenched in black sweat and they're like, I don't even have it, bro like, I'm common. It's fine.
Speaker 2: It ain't nothing, man, This isn't COVID. It's a false sweat like this since I was a kid.
Speaker 3: This is normal.
Speaker 2: What is very unique about mor Gallon's in comparison to some of these other diseases that are difficult to diagnose because of their psychosomatic symptoms, is that it does seem to have these very very weird, painful physical symptoms.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I pulled a few from a list compiled in that pub med study, and boy, oh boy, one sixty five year old female reported sensations of fibers in her eyelids, quote, wormy things coming from her skin, and she self diagnosed herself with more gallons.
Speaker 3: As a person who without the use of drugs. When I stayed up for three days to do that thing, that project correct, I guess my first question would be, like, have you gone to sleep? Like, when's the last time you went to sleep? Because I saw shit, like I was experiencing symptoms that were bananas and that was only three days of being a whig. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we've talked about in in the like Sleep in the Sleep episode about the things that can happen to a person when they haven't slept at all. A lot of people who suffer from mor gallons also have been found to suffer from either some sort of like benzo addiction or stimulant addiction or insane degrees of depression.
Speaker 3: It's a vaccine, Yeah, I had gotten a vaccine, had gotten it. Yeah, I mean I see enough favorwork is gonna be well.
Speaker 2: I one of the things. And I kind of left this out because it felt like I was tacking on a politically tricky subjects.
Speaker 3: No problem talking about it to the end. They put in my body to the end of the episode.
Speaker 2: But during COVID more gallons had another It had like a second life kind of on TikTok because people were posting all these videos with absolutely no credation of where they came from or anything, but videos being like, look, you can see more gallons fibers on the face masks that we all have to wear, and it became took on another life of its own. During COVIDU also tied to the vaccines. So I pulled from this pub med study. I pulled a list of symptoms and people who claim to have suffered them, so that you can kind of get a sense for how varied and extreme some of the symptoms of more gallons can be. A sixty five year old female who self diagnosed herself with more gallons, reported sensations of fibers in her eyelids and quote wormy things coming out of her skin. Okay, thirty seven year old female who says she had a black substance coming out of her hands called sweat.
Speaker 3: We all do it.
Speaker 2: What's the big deal? I told you, I'm fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A forty four year old female who reported crawling sensations, strings and parasites coming out of her eyelids, eyelashes, and ears.
Speaker 3: A lot of ears, I mean a lot of eye stuff so far.
Speaker 2: A sixty five year old female who reported crawling sensations and believed a snake had migrated in her body.
Speaker 3: We've heard that before in the UH one of the drug episodes. There was a lot of snake.
Speaker 2: Stuff and spider stuff in the LSD.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it was like people went to the er being like, there was a fucking snake in me.
Speaker 2: And then a forty six year old male who self diagnosed with more gallons and said that he was experiencing crawling sensations, cocoons emerging from his body, and also believed that he was being pursued by the Japanese mafia, which is not not a traditional symptom, and it was on this list.
Speaker 3: I watch a lot of football, which is a lot of pharmaceutical commercials. Yeah. Never once it was like, if the Japanese Mafia chance to see you for longer than six hours, please seek Yeah, like, not once.
Speaker 2: The way that these symptoms manifest, I mean, these symptoms all sound like something from a body horror movie or or some other Nicholas Winding ref In movie if it involves the Japanese mafia. But the way that these symptoms manifest is also much more extreme than you know, feeling this brain fog and then looking at your arm and being like, oh huh is that a weird little string?
Speaker 3: What is that? Did the Yakaza do this?
Speaker 2: They stitch me up? Are my organs still here?
Speaker 3: I mean, there are the first things you had said so far. It's it is funny, how much not funny but interesting? How much overlap there was with some of our Bad Trips episodes.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's very much. It does seem that there is a mental component to a lot of this, but we'll get to that in a minute, because the way that this often starts is just with an itch. Imagine waking up one morning with the sensation of formication of something crawling under your skin, like little bugs burrowing through your muscle tissue. That itching gets so in tense that you can't stop scratching it, and you scratch so much that you break the skin.
Speaker 3: I have never once, and even after we've done our episodes on like fucking skin stuff flesh eating bash, I'm still guilty of. I don't think I've had a mosquito bite once in my life that did not become a scab, Like yeah, I feel like I might even inching a lot and it already is like, well, that's bleeding.
Speaker 2: The itching that these people report is on levels way above mosquito bites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I imagine it would be.
Speaker 2: It is a consistent, aggressive body or yeah kind of itching, and they scratch so much that they break the skin. And when they break the skin, that's when they often see the fibers. They don't pop out of their skin like snakes in a can or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Most people don't even realize that they're there until, for whatever reason, they end up looking more closely at the wounds that they've given themselves from scratching.
Speaker 3: Do you ever look at yourself in a mirror a long time? Yeah, it's no good. It gets weird, It gets weird. And so I think if you focus on something, your eyeballs do tend to like fill in gaps that weren't there necessarily.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, but some of these people report that they even have that they've not only found these fibers on the wounds, but when they have plucked them out of their body, a new one grows back in its.
Speaker 3: Place, hydra to grow back in its place.
Speaker 2: So at that point, if you ed Vacola, are sitting at home with a weeping sore on your arm that you've scratched through the skin, crying like oozing weep, you know, like I know, it's all blistery and raw, and you've plucked these fibers out of your skin, You're gonna go, well, what the fuck is this? This isn't this isn't good. I'm not supposed to have.
Speaker 3: I'm probably saying that a couple of times leading up to this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the mistake you might make is to do to a lab no, no, no, that would be a that would be a very smart and good thing to do. But a lot of people do what a lot of us do when there's a mysterious oh your Google, fucking you go to WebMD, you go and you google fibers growing out of skin, or fibers in my wounds, or strange fiber on body, and you will find out very quickly that you were not alone.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: Man, there are thousands and thousands and thousands of people all over the world experiencing this exact same thing.
Speaker 3: And if we can get them together, we'll save a lot of money on fabric. We can just make bolts out of these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they say, you know, the economy is having a rough time. I think if we could just pay the Morgallon's community.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like donating plasma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they donate those threads. We bring the costs of fabrics down. Yeah, clothes become cheaper, and you might have just save a sense of purpose. You might have just saved the world.
Speaker 3: Put a giant sweater around the world. Man.
Speaker 2: So if you make the mistake of getting online, you will find that there are thousands and thousands and thousands of people experiencing this exact same thing. They have a name for it, Morgallons. They have a website, they have a community, and just like victims of game stalking, these people are furious.
Speaker 3: That no one will take them seriously. They are going to doctors. Well, okay, we'll let you continue.
Speaker 2: Before we continue, I do just want to say that if you are in need of community, we've got one ready and waiting for you over at our Patriot. For just five bucks a month, you can get ad free early release episodes in brand new episodes of our bonus show newf You're unlocked when they drop every other Friday. Now to the history of more Gallons.
Speaker 3: Cut you up. That was great. I wasn't expecting that, but now I'm interested in the product. You're offerings were great.
Speaker 2: Geez ed, what an episode to introduce our listeners to our new friends over at Rula.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah. If you made it this far and no more gallons and thought, wow, I may have some things I'd like to discuss the licensed professional. Good news.
Speaker 2: As many longtime listeners are well aware, I've been discussing things with the licensed professional for more than a decade, and getting therapy is something I do truly encourage everyone to do, especially in tumultuous times like these, because it doesn't matter what scares you or what keeps you up at night, A good therapist can help you work through all kinds of fears, the ones that live in your brain, the ones that feel like they live in your body, and the ones that follow you around everywhere you go, like the clowns in the van outside my house.
Speaker 3: That's why we're talking about Rula. Rula is a healthcare company that helps connect you with licensed therapists and mental health providers who actually take your insurance. Rule of partners with over one hundred insurance plans and rule of patients typically pay an average copey of just fifteen dollars per session when using insurance. Depending on your benefits, it could be as little as zero dollars.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you, as someone who uses insurance for therapy, that is crazy good. I've never paid that little for therapy and I feel like if Rula can offer you that, you have no reason not to seek it out. And because we all have different fears, anxieties, stressors, and nightmares, Rula also helps you find someone who actually fits what you need, which again is something that I had trouble with when I went to find my first therapist. I didn't know how to find somebody who actually matched with the problems I was dealing with. I just kept walking into a clinic asking for help until they gave me somebody.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. That's one way to do it.
Speaker 2: But Rule it considers your goals, preferences, background and state requirements and then gives you a curated list of licensed in network providers.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, and appointments can be available as soon as tomorrow. And Rule supports you through the whole process, from finding the right therapists to help, scheduling appointments, and checking in in your progress.
Speaker 2: Thousands of people are already using Rula to get affordable, high quality therapy that's actually covered by insurance. So visit Rula dot com slash scared to get started. That's r u la dot com slash scared. Because you deserve mental health care that works with you, not against your budget.
Speaker 3: So again, go to Rula dot com slash scared. That's Rula dot com slash scared and tell him the host boy sent you. And the best way to do that is again to use the code scared. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: While I always assume that more Gallons emerged fully formed from the swamps of the Internet. It turns out that the history of the disease is even weirder than that. The popular history of Morgallons can be traced back literally to one patient zero named Drew Lattau.
Speaker 3: I was really expecting their name to be more.
Speaker 2: Guellen No no, no, who was only two years old in the summer of two thousand and one. According to an article written in two thousand and six for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, which is where the Latau family lived as Pittsburgh called LaTaO turns five. No no, no, no.
Speaker 3: He was two in two thousand and one, so he's seven or something now.
Speaker 2: This was a look back at the history of Morgallons by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, and quote Drew says mommy and daddy and milk, and often when he points to an irritated patch of skin under his lips bugs his mother.
Speaker 3: That's horrible. It's like if your kid said, goes bro.
Speaker 2: His mother, Mary Latau, a graduate of UMass Boston with a degree in biology, found this really weird. She'd already taken Drew to several Pittsburgh dermatologists and pediatricians, but nothing they prescribed for ecima or atypical scabies ever stopped his itching. One night, as she was applying his scabies cream, which is the thing I hope to never apply to a child. That sounds terrible that I.
Speaker 3: Hope someone would have applied to that poor old person who eaten alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's eaten alive by the scabies. I don't think by the end they had really anybody help in the mouth. Unfortunately, go listen to our Eating a Live episode if you're more sad stories. For more sad stories. But as Mary was applying the scabies cream to her son, quote, something fiberlike emerges from his skin. As a biologist, she was mesmerized, but as a mother, she's horrified. She collected a sample of the strands from Drew's skin and was surprised that they glide right off like filaments from a dandelion. She places them on slides and examines them underneath an eight dollar radio shack microscope.
Speaker 3: Wait, did she go buy it or did she just have that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: She's how seriously do you take your job? That's that's what you've committed in terms of investment eight dollars. Well, I think this was maybe just the home microscope. I imagine that at some point she probably did take these two a more powerful microscope at work, Absolutely sure. I just interesting that she had it at all.
Speaker 2: Doesn't seem Yeah, it seems like if you had access to a nicer microscope and your son was suffering from mystery disease, you would just elect to go straight to the nice microscope. You wouldn't start with the at home magnifying glass. But in any case, according to the post case at Mary calls what she's discovered fibers, which becomes the term for what these are, and at first she hopes to find that they're just sweater strands or some simple fungus that she's unfamiliar with. But after months of studying, she finds something else.
Speaker 3: No months of studying on that fucking eight dollar number.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she like, are you gonna go to work with the as you're a biologist or whatever she I need to know if she got time on a better microscope. After months of studying, she finds something else, something that sometimes appears red or black or blue and fluoresces beneath the proper light. So I think this months of studying did come after she took it to other labs in microscopes. I don't think this was all at home.
Speaker 3: Do you think she gets new ones every day from the kid where it's like, could you please squirret out a few more? Can you please pop a few more seeds for me?
Speaker 2: She was taking a lot of fiber samples off her son.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Her first description of these fibers was that under magnification they appear ribbon like and sen acidic, which means they didn't have cell walls. So she was examining this beneath a nicer microscope than her eight dollar radio shack.
Speaker 3: Or we all think we need a nicer microscope and eight dollars does the trick. That's true.
Speaker 2: What we might be learning from a scientist here is, yeah, the nice microscopes are way over overpriced.
Speaker 3: Also rip gup less radio shack.
Speaker 2: According to the article, miss Latow tried to prove herself wrong dozens of times logic tells her people don't sprout fibers.
Speaker 3: Mister spider Man in the first same Raimi one, where's crazy? Well, that's that's totally different.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm injection.
Speaker 3: Remember he looks at his hand about to wear little barbs like spider barbs his fingertips, and it's really gross and we don't need to know how Spider Man does. It.
Speaker 2: Turns out, no matter how many times she swabs her son's sores clean and then covers them with a sterile, non fibrous wrap, the fibers always return. So she brings Drugh to a doctor, and then another doctor, and then another and another. Texas Monthly says she went to at least twelve doctors, including doctors at Johns Hopkins, and none of them could find anything wrong with.
Speaker 3: This kid that they couldn't get fibers.
Speaker 2: They couldn't get fibers. They suggested that the fibers Mary was bringing in little plastic bags and showing them were threads from Drew's clothes that were just affixing themselves to the sore. In fact, the Johns Hopkins specialist, a guy named doctor Fred Heldrick, who was specifically known for solving medical mysteries, wrote a letter known for He's like a doctor house. He was like a guy who you would bring weird cases out when all else fails, this guy will do the third act.
Speaker 3: Figure it out.
Speaker 2: Doctor Heldrick not as good of a name as doctor House, but he wrote a letter to Latoo's referring physician that basically said, your patient's mom needs to see a psychiatrist, and I hope she stops using her son to explore whatever is wrong with her.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Another specialist that Johns Hopkins, flat out refused to see her and suggested she might have Munchausen by proxy, which is the psychological condition where a parent fabricates or induces an illness in their child for attention. It's a really sad mental illness that.
Speaker 3: She means it will probably be the next episode. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Mary said, no, no, no, that's not what's going on here. There's something wrong with my son and we need to figure out what it is. So she started scouring the internet for any evidence that other people were experiencing the same thing. But remember it was like two thousand and three. This was two thousand and one to two.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, I had to find someone's Fortune City website.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. This was the first case of Morgallons. She found strange stories that sounded similar, often on Scabie's message boards, but nothing that defined what Drew was experiencing. And then she found a letter from a man named doctor Thomas Brown, who had written a description of exactly what her son stoppedancing.
Speaker 3: And this is written before, technically posted before she went to see all his doctors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was posted way, way way before she went to go.
Speaker 3: I mean, I am printing that out and bringing it to all the doctors.
Speaker 2: He wrote this letter three hundred and thirty years before Mary found it all the way back in sixteen seventy.
Speaker 3: Who typed it and put it on the internet.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was typed or where she found it?
Speaker 3: Like it, how was this even doing on the internet in two thousand and one. I'm saying, like one of the Dead Sea scrolls you found this in like.
Speaker 2: Well, the Dead Sea Scrolls probably were typed up and put on the Internet somewhere too.
Speaker 3: So No, for me, though, this is very vindicating for her and me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great turn of events for Mary. She was thrilled because she felt for the first time that she may not have been the first person to discover this disease. It's just that it was so unbelievable that its existence had slipped straight through the cracks of medical science. An article published on Jezebel takes us back in time. Okay, it tells us quote the children of long Doc, France were born into suffering. They itched uncontrollably and had epileptic fits. They spent their childhood screaming until their voices went hoarse. Unable to sleep, they would, according to a seventeenth century observer, pass rapidly into wasting and extreme emaciation. Their mothers tried to ease their pain by rubbing their backs and coating their skin with honey and new milk, and eventually the mothers noticed quote coarse hairs emerging from their children's skin. They would grab quote little pincers as women use to pull the hair from off their eyebrows, and pull the offending coarse hairs from their children's bodies one by one. The extraction was the closest they had to a cure. The mothers would ritualistically repeat the process over and over and over again until the children stopped crying and convulsing, and until the hairs stopped sprouting from their racked little bodies.
Speaker 3: Okay, So with the removal of hair also was an easing of the.
Speaker 2: Of the pain of the pain. As early as the fourteenth century, physicians and men of science had visited this region of France to witness these painfully diseased children and left detailing the horrifying screams of infants, the rituals of their mothers, and the detrimental effects that the inexplicable coarse hairs had on the well being of the entire community's children. And eventually it's this mystery that drew the attention of British physician Sir Thomas Brown, who visited the region in sixteen thirty. It was a little unclear to me if he waited forty years to write a letter about this, because he didn't write the letter until sixteen seventy, or if perhaps you know, that's the only letter that survived and he wrote about it earlier, but we lost that information. Sure, But it was this passage that caught Mary's attention. Quote hairs which have most amused me have not been in the face or head, but on the back, amused, and not in men, but children, as I long observed in the endemial distemper of the little children in Langdoc called the Morgallons, wherein they critically break out with harsh hairs on their backs which take off the unquiet symptoms of the disease and delivers them from coughs and convulsions.
Speaker 3: I'm so wait, hold on. So Morgallons was like an area, this is where this people lived.
Speaker 2: It's Jezebel says that his description of the disease as more gallons was a bastardization of what were more renowned physicians called masculess or maskellons. So I think miskellons or masculine list was the term for what they decided these kids were suffering from. Okay, but he called it mor gallons.
Speaker 3: And it thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Hious as you're amused here is being used in the modern sense.
Speaker 3: Of The part that really had me slap in my name was when they would cry the back hair.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what these kids made me l O L l O L. At the end of the day, though, his errors didn't matter to Mary because she matched the symptoms described in this letter to the disease devouring her kid's body.
Speaker 3: And it's older than her complaint yeah, so fucking mcgallons is real, and for the remainder of this podcast, you have to dissuade me on that.
Speaker 2: Mystery solved well, because I do just want to pause to point out that despite Mary's best intentions to help her son and others that she'd run into online, it is this sort of loose attention to detail that doesn't really help her case, because what her son is experiencing sounds sort of similar to morgallon's. But in no point does it seem that he grew large, coarse, black hairs that you could pluck out with tweezers, Nor.
Speaker 3: Did it say that when she removed the hair that itching stopped, that it subsided.
Speaker 2: And Furthermore, while I'm not sure Mary knew this at the time, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but it turns out that the more Gellons tormenting the seventeenth century children of Longdoc had a much more prosaic explanation. Not long after Brown penned this letter that she found hundreds of years later, science determined that those coarse hairs quote unquote that were emerging from the children of Longdoc were likely just the bristled legs of the Sarco pets skybey what socco? I don't care what the word zarcapetti, scabe or itch mites. So they were scabies, Yes, they were scabies by.
Speaker 3: The time, yes, not fucking Jesus man, by the time to stop having bugs in us.
Speaker 2: By the time the Italian stud Giovanni Cosimo Bonomo identified the existence of the scabies mite in sixteen eighty seven, this word mor gellon's or McKellen's or whatever had already entered the lexicon. So my point is the reason that Mary felt this disease had like slipped through the cracks of history. Yeah, was not because it was a medical mystery that no one could understand.
Speaker 3: Is that no one had figured out what scabies.
Speaker 2: Yet, and once they did, they just renamed it scabies.
Speaker 3: I'm never gonna google it. I'm never gonna look for a fucking photograph. It will not be on the screen of the video version. But like I guess, in my mind, I thought scabies were more microscopic than like, ill a leg watch out, like like it's big enough for the naked eye to like big old leg because a hair is not super small, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look I don't google it. I don't know anything about.
Speaker 3: And nor should we scabies audience.
Speaker 2: Well, probably I know they ate that one woman alive that one time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that's this was why in my thought it wasn't like, hey, this lady's might be a werewolf with how harry she's That's what I'm saying. I thought it was maybe more microscopic.
Speaker 2: It does seem like I'm doing some real time producing here, and it does seem that scabies are essentially invisible to the naked eye. But they look like tiny black They may look like tiny black dots on the skin.
Speaker 3: Dots. Dots are not hair.
Speaker 2: Dots are not hair. So Morgellons is back on the table, baby, because now I'm not convinced that it's just scabies.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna say that the people had like centipedes in them.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, centipedes are nowhere, nowhere near the story of Morgellans.
Speaker 3: No, I know, but I'm saying that. I'm saying scabies is not a circle that goes into a circle hole or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I was trying to say there, but I'm saying it's not one. For one. I'm saying Scaby's has not for me closed the door to mcgellan's, magellang morgellons.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, in any case, you'll remember that Mary was convinced that Drew did not have scabies, so she was not going to be satisfied with this.
Speaker 3: She was aware of solution and yeah, cause scabies don't come out neon, green and shit.
Speaker 2: And she launched a website called the more Gallons Research Foundation to act as a hub for people suffering with the disease and to gather and trade information.
Speaker 3: Where was that It's not scabies dot org.
Speaker 2: That would have been a much better name.
Speaker 3: It's hard because there's a camp through apostrophe.
Speaker 2: But on March twenty ninth, two thousand and four, she formally established the more Gallon's Research Foundation as a nonprofit group headquartered in her home. In non scabies groups quote, there, self identified more Gallon sufferers shared their symptoms and exchanged homemade remedies to alleviate their pain. They also obsessively documented their symptoms.
Speaker 3: Now I don't want to. I just feel you know, everyone's got a different body whatever. But if none of their remedies was like have you tried just pulling the hairs out and the pain goes away, then it does slip a little bit further from the old story, yes, because it seems like the old story which they were like you know, Janine and Ghostbusters hitting the button being like we got one, like her being like, finally, more gallons is real? Should all? So you can't like window shop with that, Like what else about that story? Like, yep, there are the hairs. Great, if you pull them out, the pain subsides, right, then it's like fuck, then this is definitely more gallons. But if they were like the only thing that makes it go away is like honey and almond paste or whatever, then.
Speaker 2: Well nothing makes it go away.
Speaker 3: From most of these people.
Speaker 2: There is sort of a cycle that some researchers have described about the particular cruelty of more gallons, which is, you scratch, you bleed or open a wound, you discover a fiber. You then scratch more to try to find so you discover a fiber, which proves to you that it's more gallons, and then you'll scratch more to find more fibers to continue to prove that you're actually suffering from something, and so a lot of these people flows.
Speaker 3: Because they just for more. It keeps itching, so they keep going, there's gotta be more. Oh that's okay, interesting you're saying, because they hadn't gotten to the root cause of the itch. I thought it was an equally terrible exists and switches. I need to collect more fibers to prove that I have a disease. I mean, I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of both, and those things compound. And then especially when you go to a doctor with your evidence and they say this is just from your T shirt, You're like, no, doc, look, I'm fucking in pain here and they're coming out of my skin.
Speaker 3: But of course, yeah, this isn't self mutilation. It's clearly like I'm itching.
Speaker 2: But when the doctors look, they very rarely find any of these fibers.
Speaker 3: That's because the radio shackmount of business.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: If they don't have.
Speaker 2: The equipment and radiohack we need.
Speaker 3: You need it back, man. You think you're gonna get I think you're gonna find these results on a circuit city microscope.
Speaker 2: So people suffering from Morgellons found the Morgallon's Research Foundation and shared their stories, their remedies, and they also shared their obsessively documented symptoms. The forum, which is now no pieces of it still are kind of on like the Wayback Machine and stuff, but a lot of it doesn't exist anymore. But the forum at the time contained pages upon pages of photographs of lesions across scabbed and bloodied faces, arms and backs, Photographs of sufferers pulling fibers from their skin, photographs of bundles of saved fibers stored for researchers and doctors to study. And Mary began to collect the stories of all of these people suffering from something and the itching in the burning was really the worst part for most of them, and some of them.
Speaker 3: Went the hardest thing to catch on camera.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, because you can't show exactly itch, but some of these people were driven to truly desperate lengths to stop the sensation the.
Speaker 3: Way and I've been itchy, oh yeah, like I've been like, like I've had type thing from like sports and like like the toe fungus and whatever the fuck it, like like athletes foot athletes foot type of thing which has like a burning sensation as well. And I'm not saying it's like, oh, you can see all these scars on my balls from when I like I itched so much. But I'm saying, like, did you check your balls for fibers?
Speaker 2: I mean you put it. I would have found some, but.
Speaker 3: Around twelve or whatever when they're when the when they first started, I guess. But I'm saying it is one of the least pleasant annoyances we have, like an itch that you just need to scratch, whether it's a mosquito bite or what I said earlier, which I might cut is uh, it sucks. So to have it to the point where, like I'm involuntarily breaking skin is a nightmare.
Speaker 2: It got so bad for these people that documented interventions include a person who bathed in bleach, no one who applied pesticides directly to their skin. Someone doused their lesions with acid. They scrubbed with nail brushes and detergents until their skin was wraw. Some people took veterinary grade anti parasitic drugs. It doses meant for livestock.
Speaker 3: It feels like some machinists shit.
Speaker 2: One woman set off bug bombs in her condo eight different times.
Speaker 3: While she was in it.
Speaker 2: There's no way you should be breathing that in at all, And one forty five year old man overdosed on benadryl he was so desperate to stop the burning, telling doctor.
Speaker 3: He made a new friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that man to go visit a hat man. And hat man said, my son, not.
Speaker 3: That I cured on this realm only he told.
Speaker 2: The man who overdosed on benajol later told doctors that he'd rather be dead than feel like this.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get it.
Speaker 2: And one writer atol Gowanda described a Massachusetts woman who had a chronic itch in her scalp who eventually scratched through her skull and into her own brain, only to discover the damage when she awoke to liquid cerebro spinal fluid running down her face.
Speaker 3: That's pictures are didn't happen like that is? I mean, you're touching your own brain. Also, what were those rocks when we were kids, They had like a little indent, like a wishing stone type of thing.
Speaker 2: Huh And he rub your thumb in it?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, if you're rubbing your fucking skull to the point where you've made like a wishing stone.
Speaker 2: And in your head, yeah, like I'm rubbing too hard, lady.
Speaker 3: I just don't even know how much it. For all I know, brains are actually maybe it's very easy to do, but like, but in my mind, it's like you're trying to erode a mountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think this was overnight. I think this was probably an ongoing She's scratching for weeks, if not months. You know, the scalp is raw, and she's just continuing to scratch and scratch and scratch and scratch.
Speaker 3: I just can't even what do we why do we even have skulls?
Speaker 2: If that's if that's a way in, Yeah, you would hope that they'd be a little bit tougher than an old lady's fingernails, but apparently, given enough time, those fingernails can do some damage.
Speaker 3: The craziest thing about this is if it's not even if it is a disease, we're just little little cars for our brains, right, We're just little brain suits. Yep. And all the bugs that ride around on us, all the parasites. Yeah, the idea that one brain asks another brain, how did your brain suit hurt you? And it's like, oh it, I made it. Think it had an itch so bad that it hurt me. Yeah, Yeah, Like the brain potentially caused the injury and to the and facilitated being injured is so insane to me.
Speaker 2: You would think we evolved to have a thick ridge of bone around our brain called a skull to protect our brains. You would think that brains also would have evolved the ability to not damage themselves, like like where's the like uh like Asimov Rules of Robots for ourselves where it's like not through inaction.
Speaker 3: Or we have none.
Speaker 2: Man, we live in the wild. We live in the wild world of.
Speaker 3: It's just I don't know if it was nature Pete Holmes bit from a million years ago or whatever where he's like I'm paraphrasing to like make us happy all the time, and they just don't. Yeah, it's like we have saratotin, we have all this, Yeah, and it's like it almost never chooses that. Well.
Speaker 2: Mary was still deep in her own funk trying to figure out what exactly was going on here when she anecdotally discovered something that would later be confirmed by scientific studies and something that I mentioned closer to the top of the episode. Morgellons disproportionately affects middle aged white women.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't't know about the white part, but I did notice when you gave the list earlier, is only like one guy at the very end.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's heavily skewed towards middle aged white women. And this is one of the reasons that the medical medical community immediately started throwing red flags up around claims of more gallons. Some of it because of misogyny, yeah, some of it because there is another disease that predominantly affects middle aged white women and ticks almost all the same boxes as more gallons.
Speaker 3: Hold on before you get into that, ye was her baby was a little boy though, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, so, and there are I mean, there was other research I was doing. I found other long form articles written about men who were experiencing this.
Speaker 3: But I mean, he's not only a guy. He's far from middle aged.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no, no, he's a young kid with something going on and going on. But in dermatology, there is this disease called delusional parasitosis that was first described in nineteen thirty eight by a Swedish neurologist named Carl Axel Eckbom.
Speaker 3: I mean I get it, but I mean, what do you get.
Speaker 2: We're not to getting anything.
Speaker 3: I just what I get is what the other was it? Anyone who would tell me I have that would get, which is fucking furious. Yeah, like the fact that someone's like, all right, let me tell you what I think you have and it includes delusional.
Speaker 2: It's called your fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I would be like, fuck you, or he's an acronym or something. Yeah, that's such a ship name for a thing. But that's all I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I think I think in this case, delusional is probably being used in like the medical sense of the term.
Speaker 3: Is there a medical sense?
Speaker 2: Well, it's delusional can be used as an insult, but I think delusional is like a category of mental illnesses.
Speaker 3: Mental illness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it sounds insulting, but I don't think it's quite as bad as calling it like your brain's fucking broke disease.
Speaker 3: If your brain's broke disease, is that one? What woman who did that to herself? Yeah she's got both now.
Speaker 2: Yeah shit, but so this disease Delusional parasitosis is a fixed, false belief of being infested by parasites or a foreign material. Symptoms include itching, scratching, lesions, the bugs under the skin, feeling, the formication, everything but the fibers.
Speaker 3: I know I've been holding that itching for a minute. I want to say anything about it, but yeah, I did have an itch in my head right now.
Speaker 2: If you've if, have you ever seen the movie Bug. No, so the movie Bug, I'm looking.
Speaker 3: If it has anything to do with what you've been talking about, I'm glad I have.
Speaker 2: I'm looking directly into the cameras right now because I am. If you are watching this on video, I need to implore you if you have never seen William Friedkin's Bug. I love William Freakin and it stars Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon, Michael Shannon's first major role.
Speaker 3: And I missed this freakin movie.
Speaker 2: It is fucking It's one of my favorite movies. It's really really good. It's really intense.
Speaker 3: You're twisted, bro, It's really disturbing piece of shit. But I doesn't even sit through Joe's apartment.
Speaker 2: If you've never seen Bug, you should, both because it's excellent, but also because this is basically the disease from the movie Bug. If you've ever seen Bug, Bug is sort of delusional parasitosis.
Speaker 3: To the movie doesn't not as good a title, not as good a title. That was not a great title either, honestly, but bug, it's a good title. It's a good title.
Speaker 2: It was also it was Mike, you know, Michael Shannon got the role because it was a play initially a Tracy Let's play, and Michael Shannon was I believe, originated the role and was currently performing the role in the stage version when Freedkin, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like freaking used to go to a lot of plays because that was the whole thing, where like Stacy Keach was paid to be in the exercise. Yeah, but then Friedkin had gone to a play and like saw that guy and he was like that guy should be the priest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then like whomever, that's true, and then he cast Yeah, he cast Michael Shannon, and.
Speaker 3: It was because he wants to he saw like some black box theater play. I guess Freedkin liked to go to plays.
Speaker 2: He seemed like a culture man. I could see it seems.
Speaker 3: Like he screams of a lot of people.
Speaker 2: He did Marl sure did h RP. Goblest great director.
Speaker 3: But seemed like he had a face of someone who threw coffee at a PA.
Speaker 2: Also, I should just say, if and when you do watch Bug, try to watch it with the mindset of never having seen Michael Shannon before, and you will be fucking extra floored. You're because it's like, who the fuck is this guy? Sure he's really good anyway. As part of delusional parasitosis, there's even a name for the behavior where patients bring specimens to the doctor. Dermatologists called it the match box sign, coined by a dermatologist named Alan Lyell back in nineteen eighty three, because patients would literally show up at appointments carrying little match boxes full of what they believed was evidence that they were infected with bugs.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they had like zip blocks back then.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they did either, but these people had match boxes filled with skin flakes and scab materials, sometimes just unrelated bugs.
Speaker 3: I mean that stuff could have just gotten in there.
Speaker 2: Between fifty and eighty percent of patients with delusional infestations or delusional parasitosis arrive at the doctor carrying specimens, which is exactly what many people who suffer from more gallons disease also do. They do bring them these days in ziplock bags. Or they bring files full of cell phone pictures of what they saw at home, but they bring the specimens with them.
Speaker 3: I think they have to because they've just spent fourteen hours on forums where I'm sure like every post was like nobody believes me. They won't believe you either. Make sure you show up with stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, and Mary LaTaO, to her credit, understood that this was kind of the bringing stuff was kind of a trap because she told Psychology Today, quote, you think you're bringing them evidence, but you're really just shooting yourself in the foot because as soon as one of these doctors sees you showing up with a zip block bag full of thread saying you pulled out by Yeah. The really frustrating thing though, for doc is that delusional parasitosis is a very easy as far as you know mental illnesses go, It's pretty easily treated. Three quarters of patients who are prescribed a mild antipsychotic report that their symptoms disappear completely, usually in a short period of time. The problem is that last quarter the problem turn into book Yeah, they go full Kafka, wake up, bugged out.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: The problem here, though, is that to receive that successful treatment, it requires patients to accept that the condition is psychiatric in nature and not biological, and that is the one thing that more gallon sufferers will absolutely categorically refuse to do, so, the thing that could help them, they refuse because they're like, I'm not crazy, and the doctor's like, I'm not saying you're crazy. I'm just saying, try these.
Speaker 3: Pills and if they work, you might have been crazy. Yeah, but you know what, it'll work and you're not going to be in pain anymore.
Speaker 2: But a lot of more gallon sufferers don't want to hear it because they I understand, they don't want to be told they're crazy. I think I forget which episode it was, but you and I at one point on this show talked about chronic pain and how when I had my gallbladder, when my gallbladder was really acting up and I was in a ton of pain for days on end, that was when I really understood the idea of or how I really understood how frustrating suffering from something that you can't really prove to anybody else's happening can be. Because I luckily didn't really need to prove to anybody that I was in pain, but you do live. You're living with this agony and there's nothing If someone is if someone questioned me, if I went into the doctor and said, hey, doc, I'm just burning up and I don't know what's going on, if they said no, you're not, because I'd like, well, but I am.
Speaker 3: And yeah, but they but they be able to test their temperature, and.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's other things that they can test and and and that's part of what happened with more gallons here. As more and more and more people claim to have this disease, more people from the scientific community got invested in figuring out what the fuck was really going on here. So enter doctor Randy Wymore, an assistant professor of pharmacology and physiology at Oklahoma State and a self described quote glutton for unknowns. He stumbles onto Mary's site and his curiosity gets the best of him, and he decides he's going to figure this out. His hypothesis is that these fibers are coming from somewhere prosaic.
Speaker 3: From inside the house.
Speaker 2: Fibers are coming from inside the shirt. The problem, he thinks, is that no one's taking it seriously enough to gather fibers from the people who are suffering interesting and then do a you know, a massive collection of every other fiber they can find in the world and compare them one by one to find a match and go, Okay, here's what's going on.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a that's cool. I would love to see that if they were like, turns out none of them are cotton.
Speaker 2: Well, that summer doctor why More road trips to California and does exactly what he says he's gonna do. He pulls fibers off of every fucking thing he sees, car seats, clothing on Goodwill racks, medical supplies, sports equipment, not from people, well right, not from people.
Speaker 3: He needs to see what to rule out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's collecting samples to match against that. He knows that there's plenty of self collected samples to compare and people have those. People have those. But he goes out seeking fibers. So he pulls fibers off of everything, seeking man seeking fibers. He got in a great relationship with these fibers. They went to California together.
Speaker 3: Then they broke up. Now he's seeing liquid.
Speaker 2: I mean kind of, it's kind of where this goes. He's seeing they broke up and he's seeing alcohol because he may have ruined his career doing this. But once he collects all of these things, hundreds of Morgellon's samples start flooding his lab from desperate patients and medical professionals, and as why More starts looking at all of them, his skeptics flips does a complete one eighty because he sees that all of these fibers look alike, but they don't look like hair or skin cells, or cotton or any known textile on the planet. He then teams up with the Tulsa Police Department's crime lab to run the test through the database of over eight hundred different fibers. Okay, they match absolutely nothing. And then on February twenty third, two thousand and six, why More brings Mary and her children, who her other kids at this point are reporting suffering from similar symptoms as the first kid who started suffering, so they all go to Tulsa for a study alongside seven other more Gallon's patients and two OSU physicians, Ronda Casey and Stephen Eddie start examining the kids and within forty five seconds they find fibers lurking beneath completely unbroken skin stop it, which all sounds really impressive. I'm impressed until you examine these claims a little bit further and taking a closer look to examine these claims is exactly what brought a man named Mick West into the picture. First name mickl first name Mike, last name Wes. If you roll in conspiracy communities, you probably are familiar with Mick. If you don't, a quick introduction, Uh, he's a very controversial figure in the skeptical community. He's not controversial to skeptics, He's controversial to everyone else, the people whose theories he is obsessed with debunking. Oh so, mix a bit of a curmudgeon, but I do generally appreciate his perspective. He Actually he's forever endeared to me because the way he got his start or his first job was as a video game programmer, and he co founded Never Saw Studios.
Speaker 3: What do they do?
Speaker 2: Tony Hawk's pro Skater?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Mick West was the technical director on Tony Hawk's pro Skater. He helped program the skating, physics and everything. He left the video game industry a very rich man in two thousand and three, and these days make his better known as the founder of skeptic website metabunk, and he is one of the leading skeptics of the UAP phenomenon. I will say I think he is a very good skeptic. It doesn't seem like he'd be particularly fun at parties.
Speaker 3: No, he's always blasting Goldfinger.
Speaker 2: He's like, I can't stop listening to it. No, he's just he's a very kind of somber, serious man. But he does make really compelling cases in his skeptical arguments, often backed up by software that he himself has developed to take UAP video and analyze the flight patterns, atmospheric distortions the sky, what was going on, you know, everything. So he's become a bit of an enemy of the of the UAP community. But anyway, he enters the picture here because in two thousand and six he began his first major skepticism campaign, targeted at the bunk science surrounding Morgellons. He founded Morgellan's Watch, a direct answer to the Morgellen's Research Foundation, and the findings that he turned up around doctor Wymore's study are really interesting.
Speaker 3: After Wymore is a guy who's driving around pick fucking fibers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, First, West points out that the scope was tiny and informal. The Tulsa PD ultimately only tested four fibers, two red and two blue, and, as micclarified in his original articles on this, what they compared it to was an eight hundred fiber database, not a one hundred thousand fiber FBI database, as some reports erroneously suggested.
Speaker 3: Okay, a police.
Speaker 2: Forensics lab is also designed to match crime scene fibers to known textiles, and it's not equipped to identify every biological material on Earth. So no match in our database doesn't mean this isn't from clothing. It means we don't happen on our database.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Second, why more? And this one gets me. I don't know why anybody who is investigating something that is really hard to believe and truly has an interest in solving the mystery does this. But a lot of them do.
Speaker 3: He never published any of his findings in a peer reviewed paper. Why not? I know, I know it's why you just said that saying it, but I'm saying, like, yeah, question fucking do it?
Speaker 2: If you have this happens with alien implants a lot. If you have physical evidence of something that is undeniably strange. It is beyond me how any well meaning man of science or woman of science doesn't send those samples out in the world going, please figure out what this is.
Speaker 3: It's weird. Seen.
Speaker 2: It's weird to me that you wouldn't want that unless what you really care about is another lab proving you right and not another lab proving you wrong.
Speaker 3: But I've seen enough movies and TV shows where it's like, I can't give this alien finger I found to the lab because the men in black will take it, or if I try and show it, if I publish my material, they'll come and take me away.
Speaker 2: Well in this case, though, you know, in the in the early days of Morgellon's study, I don't think this was registering on the level of alien finger. It was a weird thing, but nobody at this point was being particular early conspiratorial about it. It was a disease I saw in some of the research that part of another thing that kind of fanned the flames here is you were talking about fibromyalgia earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I know some people who have it, and it's like that's another difficult thing where they've seen a lot of doctors.
Speaker 2: Well, and the lot of pain. The medical community had really just recognized fibromyalgia relatively soon before this Morgallon stuff started. So there was a recent example of a case with a bunch of people saying that they had these weird symptoms that no one could explain, and they were able to define it. So, especially at this point, some of these people were seen a little bit as kooks, but it wasn't out of the question that there was something real going on here. Anyway. I think it's ridiculous that you would not submit to peeroview papers. And it is a big red flag. As for the discovery of those fibers in forty five seconds beneath the skin. Dermatologists Noah Craft at Harvard UCLA, who has actually biopsied Morgellon's patients skin okay, meaning he's like taken flesh and skin samples and not just felt for fibers beneath the skin. And it's weird to me too that they bragged that they found them in forty five seconds. That seems like a really.
Speaker 3: You think they just mean that, like they're so prevalent.
Speaker 2: That they found them. Yeah, it didn't take us long to find a fiber. It sounds like they just didn't look very hard and said that might be a bump. That's a fiber. I think that's a fiber, is what that? Yes?
Speaker 3: Sure, and the guy with the stopwatch is like, and that's a new record.
Speaker 2: Oh you guys did it faster than anybody this. Doctor Noah Kraft says that in his biopsies he has never seen anything to suggest that Morgellons is a real condition in the sense that it is a biological in nature. In fact, the only place Kraft says he has ever seen evidence of all of these fibers are the photos on the Morgallan's Research Foundation website, and to his eyes, they look like fibers and fabric and on occasion collagen fibers from within the skin. In the biopsies I have taken, he says, there appears to be only normal skin and inflammation, as one would find in a bump that has been picked at. Another doctor, Jeff Meffert, goes one further. This fiber's business, he says, as presented by the fiber disease community, is nonsense. They have not convinced me, and quite honestly, they have pissed me off. Oh my God, the only fibers he's ever seen, he says, are consistent with animal hair, human hair, or textile fibers. And he also says that I saw fibers this quote from an article. I saw fibers stuck to the eximus scalb of everyone I saw today. Every patient with oozing, weeping skin has fibers stuck to their skin. In other words, the skeptical community basically sees more Gallons as a particularly bad case of delusional parasitosis that traps its victims in that cycle of itch. Pick scratch, find the fiber.
Speaker 3: I'm not crazy, I'm not taking the pills. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Pick more, Yeah, gets worse, gets worse, gets worse. I will also say, in my research here, I did have trouble pinning down where some of these fibers went. How many fibers have been collected, how many are available for public study? Because it seems like thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of photos of these fibers have been submitted to all kinds of different mor Gallons groups across the internet. Yeah, but it doesn't. It does seem to me that people have been collecting fibers, and some of them.
Speaker 3: For seventy years.
Speaker 2: It seems like some of the fibers that people are saying are more gallons do seem to be weirder than others, and I had trouble. I think part of the reason I had trouble is because some of this is so easily and readily dismissed that you're basically either reading a mor Gallons fan page that says, look at all this shit that's one hundred percent real, or you're reading a medical study that's like, these people are delusional and we really have no interest in talking to them. So the reality I think of, I allow for a little bit of some of these fibers might be really weird, and I think there may be a little bit of some of this getting lost in the cracks. I don't know. I don't We'll talk more about whether or not more Gallons is actually real in a bit, But it was frustrating for me to not be able to find a straight answer to Okay, that person who said they had this disease said they collected hundreds of fibers. Where did those fibers go? Did a doctor ever see them? Or did they just claim to have those fibers? There's a lot of that going on.
Speaker 3: I think what's I think it's within the realm of possibilities to just get a little place together that collects all the fibers.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what the more Gallons Research Foundation was supposed to.
Speaker 3: I mean, like collect them now, don't don't send me a picture of your shoe box, right like you right, hairs. I mean like, hey, everybody gets to send in five and and well, we have an ever growing that. You know, we've made a deal with the FBI that we have access the API to their fucking database. Yeah, and you bring sense something in and we send you back. The problem with that is nobody wants the responsibility. Nobody wants to get them and then be like, hey, I got a rejection letters, especially like oh shit, they sent it back and said it was my carpet.
Speaker 2: That's sort of on some level, finding someone to take responsibility for this research is sort of what happened next, because according to jazzabel Quote, it was through the more Gallon's Research Foundation website and the many sites that spawned that Morgellon's patients decided to launch a letter writing campaign. They flooded the mailboxes of nearly every member of Congress with a persuasive case that sounded a lot like fibromyalgia. Thousands of Americans, a disproportionate number of them women, recounting an excruciating, strange pain and their reality, they said, had been dismissed by physicians who told them there was either nothing physically wrong or the source of their pain was common scabies or some other skin infection. There was so much mail that senators of no less star power than Hillary Clinton and John McCain and Barack Obama decided to take the disease seriously and they pushed the CDC to issue a study.
Speaker 3: We got to get some of this in the vaccine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, guys, in about fifteen years, we've got something big coming down to fight. We gotta get this shit in there. Well, it was a little unusual for them to ask the CDC to issue this study because the CDC only studies infectious diseases, and there was really no evidence that this was an infectious disease of any kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, one was like, my baby went to daycare and they came back also with hairs.
Speaker 2: Yes, and every baby at the daycare started sprouting hairs. So the CDC pulled a great little government docy doe and they funneled somewhere in the neighborhood of six hundred thousand tax dollars to Kaiser Permanente and ask them to.
Speaker 3: Do the research. California places it is.
Speaker 2: And part of the reason Kaiser Permanente was chosen is because there was a large concentration of cases of Morgallons being reported out of northern California. So shit, that was part of why Kaiser was chosen, because they had easy access to the medical records of this group of people.
Speaker 3: And if they have access to the medical records of the state, yes, forty million people versus any other state.
Speaker 2: So Kaiser searched the electronic health records of the people that they covered to identify clinic visits with certain keywords like Morgellons obviously, fiber thread, fuzzball, dots, specs, granules, and delusion. Recorded in the case notes the statement I brought it with me, Yeah, it's right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This search pulled down one hundred and fifteen case patients, one hundred of whom agreed to answer survey questions and forty consented to physical and psychological testing. Fibers were collected for analysis and sent to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. The study was reviewed and approved by the institutional review boards at the CDC, at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, and at the University of Rochester. It took four years from the beginning of this study in two thousand and eight to its publication in twenty twelve and ed but what do you think the CDC found, in fact that.
Speaker 3: We're not talking about more Gallon's regularly tells me. They maybe said this was a maybe not a great use of our money.
Speaker 2: They did not discover a biological cause for this disease. They did find that most of the fibers collected from participant skin were composed of cellulose aka cotton fibers.
Speaker 3: But you said six hundred grand, six hundred grand, which is really much. People spend six hundred grand a day in like pharmaceuticals to figure something like to do nothing probable party.
Speaker 2: Well probably this was more money back then, But yes, not a huge amount of money. But still on the biopsy side, because they collected biopsies, things weren't looking any more convincing. The most common abnormality present in fifty one percent of biopsies was something called solar ilestosis, which sounded very mysterious to me, so I googled it and it just basically means skin damage from the sun.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Lesions were most consistent with arthropod bites, so scabies or ticks or whatever, fleas or chronic excortiations meaning just lots of scratching. No parasites or mycobacteria were ever detected. Mark Eberhard, the director of the CDC's Division of Parasitic Diseases, tried to soften the blow to the demanding public by saying, quote, it's a negative, but it really limits and narrows down the field of possibilities by removing a couple of the big players infections and environment, that still leaves some wide open territory about what could be the causes. He also stressed the studies should not be interpreted to conclude that the problem is all in the sufferer's heads.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're just saying that it's not the stuff we do here.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he says this study should be a baseline for future research.
Speaker 3: Now, there was really very little.
Speaker 2: Future research ever done because most of the scientific community took this to mean exactly what market not to mean yeah, and to be There are critics of this study. It wasn't perfect. Some people have pointed out that drawing participants from that single geographic area in northern California really limited the ability to have a diverse group of people that you were studying. It's a small sample size. Some of the language in the paper they thought felt dismissive. But in terms of the methodology on display here biopsies, spectroscopies, forensic fiber analysis, and psychiatric evaluations, this was the most rigorous investigation of Morgallons ever conducted to this day, nothing else has ever really come close. But of course that answer didn't satisfy people suffering from more gallons, and unfortunately, once science put more gallons down, conspiracy theorists picked it right back up.
Speaker 3: That tends to be the case.
Speaker 2: Tends to be what happens. And here's where things get really fun, because everything we've talked about has been grounded in either real science or real suffering.
Speaker 3: But once the CDC pissed off.
Speaker 2: The entire Morgallons community, real went out the window, and the CDC became part of a widespread government conspiracy to cover up the truth about more gallons.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. At this point there could just be like get in line like everybody at this point. For conspiracies, lets turned the CDC. You might as well be called Conspiracy Department Central.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, never the CDC in the central department. FEMA is the other one that's always being pegged, is like they're opening the camps.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I literally haven't even figured out the acronym that I'm trying to make. You throw a FEMA in your face, in my face, So I think Central Department for.
Speaker 2: Conspiracies, it is pretty good.
Speaker 3: And pretty good, and then FEMA would have to be fake emergency. Emergency is really emergency. Okay, well then what's what's your skin called? Epidurus, epidurro fake epidural manipulated or mind disease? E wait a FIMA. I don't know, it's hard to do in real time.
Speaker 2: I'll give you what you can. You can go back and uh, you can kind of drop something in later it'll sound bite time. So the truth about Morgellans, the capital T truth about Morgellons depends you ask what that truth is. I really want to know what Mary le Tao thinks. The woman who started all of this. Can you recall, Well, I would, But after the CDC study came out, she shut down the Morgallan's Research Foundation and disappeared from public life entirely. As of this recording, she hasn't given an interview or made a public statement in more than a decade.
Speaker 3: This is our chance she just vanished. Well, no one knows.
Speaker 2: No one has been able to find her.
Speaker 3: Well, you keep telling me that all the stuff I read about missing scientists right now is bullshit.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's bullshit. I just think connecting. We're recording this in the middle of the time period where a couple of scientists related to strange physics experiments went missing in the United States. So that's what Ed's referring to. If you're listening to this five or ten years in the future, and if those people and Mary Lttou came back.
Speaker 3: They're all on the show.
Speaker 2: They're all on this.
Speaker 3: We got to ask them where they went? Was another dimension? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, Mary lettaw just apparently her and her whole family vanished. The woman who named the disease, who built the movement, lobbied Congress, got them to spend hundreds of thousand dollars. I'm gonna wear photos of her and stuff like she was a real person. He's a real person, you see, like a mirage men situation. No, it's not a mirage men situation. But it does seem like she heard the answer that this isn't real and for some reason walked away. I would like to give her the credit that maybe she realized she'd really stepped in it and got mega embarrassed and just decided to dip. But if that's the case, it would have also been nice for her to issue some kind of a statement or something to be like, hey.
Speaker 3: My bad, or even just any statement, whether it's my bad, I've seen the air, or my ways, or even another statement that's like, will never stop fighting, but I need for me my family to take some space from something that I'm very passionate about. But this latest blow has been difficult on all of us, and we need to to a minute fucking being bloped sixty nine on the forum. We'll step up as lead moderator and to do with this company, which you please. But that was a really good apology. It's something like that, not an apology, but just like do.
Speaker 2: You write an emergency pr in your head a lot. No, that came right out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, but I'm saying like, those are two ways she could have stepped away gracefully.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what are we bracing for?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: The podcast here, and I'd just like to say for my family and my friends.
Speaker 3: There are also.
Speaker 2: Many rumors and accusations of financial improprieties taken with the funds that she raised through the MRF. So alternate theory, she's a criminal and started a scam and got away with it.
Speaker 3: I feel that way about anything. I want all charities to be squeaky clean. I want all five oh one c's or whatever. But it's like, yeah, there's money coming in until someone's taking it somewhere. You know, she.
Speaker 2: Didn't pass the MRF the more Gallon's Research Foundation. She didn't pass it down to anyone in her absence. It's a little unclear exactly what happened and who took it over. But if you try to go to the Morgallons Research Foundation, it now directs to Morgellons dot org and the.
Speaker 3: First multi level Marketing Scheme.
Speaker 2: The first thing you'll notice is the fact that the organization, or what's left of it has to come to the most yogurt brained conspiracy minded people on.
Speaker 3: The planet, because yogurt brain.
Speaker 2: Just mush brained, no thoughts.
Speaker 3: That's not a fault of their own. They scratched until their skull opened.
Speaker 2: That's what happens when you have skull itch. The thing that tipped me off to the fact that they chose a path here is that one of the headlines across the top of the page screams keemtrails and Morgellons. It's worse than you thought. The writer of this urgent article describes the way that they've been tracking the appearance of keemtrails over their town and what they discovered in local water sources that they believe fell from these chemtrails, which is apparently some kind of fibers that they believe are hied to more gallons. I can send you the photos from this article. If you want to put any of them up on screen, you can, but they basically just look like fibers under a microscope. Most of the audience can probably imagine what that looks like. The quotes here are wild. I couldn't really make head tail, heads or tails of what exactly this person's arguing, But I will quote them at length here because maybe someone in the audience knows what they're saying or ed maybe you can decipher. So this person explains their little science experiment. Thusly quote the alkalizing of water and any water based air breathing organism allows for increased storage and even the creation of DC current.
Speaker 3: What's alkaliz what does that mean.
Speaker 2: To alkalize water?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Can't you like buy alkaline water or something like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see. I don't actually know. I know people like drinking alkaline water.
Speaker 3: At the beginning of what you started, that sentence makes it think like you shouldn't drink that water.
Speaker 2: It's a water with a higher pH level than regular tap water, achieved by adding minerals or using electrolysis to reduce acid, used for potential health benefits like enhancing hydration, relieving acid reflux, and improving metabolic acidosis.
Speaker 3: And that's different than just having a gatorade.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I believe that is different than that.
Speaker 3: It's not just like electro lights or whatever. No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's electrolytes. They use electrolysis to reduce acid. I don't think electro lights have anything.
Speaker 3: To do with that, right, So.
Speaker 2: This person is saying that when you alkalize water, any water based air breathing organism allows for increased storage and the creation of DC current, especially when mixed with other components slash chemicals. I proved this in myself with only a pretty good digital voltmeter, so another eight dollars RadioShack special. I guess I measure my voltage constantly by just wetting my fingers and squeezing the probes.
Speaker 3: In the matrix. I think there's probably electric occurrence going through us. We are batteries.
Speaker 2: I started looking at the collected water with an old microscope in early April by drying about thirty drops on a microscope slide, and saw immediately what appeared to be what I'd seen coming from Morgellons patients on the web. I really had thought the story was a hoax, quite frankly, but now I know otherwise.
Speaker 3: I started to.
Speaker 2: Look at all my samples and found dozens of these fibers. Confirmation of what these fibers were came when a quote golden head nanosensor was isolated. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure it's real.
Speaker 2: This confirmation was quite the shock because I knew then all of us in the White Mountains at least were all being infected with this bizarre nano affliction infestation infection.
Speaker 3: The White Mountains where they live. They live in the West.
Speaker 2: Ros Jesus, why the voltage thing is so important? I've observed in my jars that were electualized that the growth of what I've learned or called quote synthetic model organisms or artificial life forms is greatly enhanced and increased. The fibers they call morgellons increase in about six months to almost visible with the naked eye or magnifying glass. One such clump of fibers has gone from a dozen microscopic fibers to about one hundred or so and can easily be extracted by tweezers.
Speaker 3: Which they're saying if they put it in alkaline water, it grows and becomes a greater number and apparently yes, okay.
Speaker 2: One plausible explanation of how the flat ribbon plausible aed One plausible explanation I'm ready for it for how the flat ribbon like fibers seem to grow even on glass, is that these synthetic model organisms can assemble plastic components from the air, water, or wherever present, and use DC current as part of their assembly technique, or they are feeding off the silicone in the glass or both.
Speaker 3: Right, the first one. It's been proven forever chemicals floating around.
Speaker 2: It's been proven that plants extract most of their mineral content from the air, not the soil, as as was once believed. Nanotech is designed to mimic the things that man has discovered about how nature works, assembles itself, et cetera.
Speaker 3: They're saying that more gallons is like nanotechnology.
Speaker 2: They're saying that Morgallons is some sort of a nanotechnology that uses DC current and silicone in the glass or both to grow once it's dropped on the populace from chemtrails.
Speaker 3: Okay, and the best we've well, I guess only six hundred grand went into one of these studies. But and the best we can do is make hair. Apparently we have the ability to do nanotechnology. And the best you can do is assemble itself like hair.
Speaker 2: Erector set itchy hair, itchy hair, if it gets even get hair. There's another section though, on the website called Revelations from a Man who helped design Morgallon's disease. That features a link to two different videos which unfortunately have been taken down off the Internet.
Speaker 3: Because they were just viruses they may.
Speaker 2: Have been, and the following description. These two videos are well done and well researched by Clifford Carnacom and doctor Gwen Scott. They are perhaps the two of the most important videos ever to be made. If you have not viewed these videos, you need to do at asap. These videos are not casual entertainment. They are about all of us, not just a few people with a weird disease called called Morgellons, but about all of us. This information personally affects every person you love and care about. It is about your grandchildren, your family, pet, your loved ones, and even people down the street that you don't care about.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is I made a joke about forever chemicals earlier, but I think we should be making videos like this about forever chemicals.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Probably, I'm sure somebody is. Yeah, So we don't have the videos, unfortunately, because I really wanted to watch them because they were too filled the truth. I think they were taken down by the truth police. But what doctor Scott says on camera in reference to meeting this man who claims to have designed Morgallons. Is transcribed on the website, and so we do know that this is part of what doctor Scott said. He being the guy who designed Morgallons, explained to me something that I knew that I had kind of forgotten. Every organ in your body has a specific frequence, and it operates that frequency, and even when you interrupt that frequency electromagnetically, you can create all kinds of serious, even unto death problem.
Speaker 3: Is that true.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I didn't I didn't realize what it held, Like a magnet up to you. You can make your arm move or something.
Speaker 2: He also talked about areas of the brain and mind control, and as Orewellian as that may seem apparently scientifically, it is very real. We know from Clifford's work for years now the big red Dog no Clifford Corners covered in hair, Clifford Carnacom, the other researcher involved here. We know from Clifford's work for years now the electromagnetic properties of what's happening in our air supply as a result of the manipulation and the manipulation of that. Beyond that, he the inventor of Morgellons, talked about then confirmed to me the heavy metals, the barium, the titanium, the aluminum, none of which, trust me, are good for the human.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm always saying.
Speaker 2: He talked about the biological He said all of it had been altered. Some of it, and Clifford had alluded to earlier in the video can kind of escape your immune system and cloak itself in one form or another. Again, he spoke of the electromagnetics and also the lack of oxygen, the displacement of oxygen. The more you displace oxygen out of the air supply with particulates in parentheses, it could be corn flakes, it doesn't matter, the mortality rate goes up. Concurrently, we are operating on a very low level of oxygen.
Speaker 3: Well, we've learned that before. Remember, it turns out we are and it's fine.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I certainly feel like I'm operating on a very low level of oxygen after reading all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you've been talking for a while. I'm desperate to see these videos.
Speaker 2: I will continue to scour the internet. If we find them, we will post them on the Instagram because it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like there's a lot of answers in there that I've been waiting for.
Speaker 2: It feels a bit too dismissive to end this episode on a note of damn, that all sounds pretty stupid.
Speaker 3: I never said that once. I feel like I've been team Morgel in this whole time.
Speaker 2: Well, that last those last couple of paragraphs I think might be some of the most.
Speaker 3: That's the first time I felt like it truly made sense to me. That's why I need to see these videos.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if I asked you to repeat the theories heavy metals.
Speaker 3: Have you here?
Speaker 2: You just want to You just want to study the forever chemicals.
Speaker 3: I am. I'm anti forever chemicals.
Speaker 2: Anyone with the brain would be. But I don't understand the connection. It jumps around these explanations so much that it's not even really putting together with theory.
Speaker 3: I get it. A couple of soft yoga heads like you, man, you can't. You can't follow it the way it.
Speaker 2: Is, yogurt brained white mountain folk.
Speaker 3: Now you're flathead dude. I followed it fine. I followed the whole thing. I was enthralled.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so do you feel at this point that there is any good scientific evidence suggesting that more gallons is a biological disease.
Speaker 3: Biological meaning it human beings have it.
Speaker 2: That No, that it's some sort of infectious spread.
Speaker 3: I do not think it's an infectious spreading disease. I think you can have more.
Speaker 2: Gallons from a psychological perspective, from.
Speaker 3: A physical or physically feeling paid, whether it's psychological or otherwise. I think these people are physically feeling paid.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 3: And as you know, like I said, like with fibermails or something, and you're gonna go like twenty years from now and it's like, oh, it turns out that was a thing. And so I'm not being outwardly dismissive of it. I think six hundred grand doesn't buy you a fucking grape at Pfizer. And so it's like, you know, I'm sure there's some more studying to be done. I'd be very interested to see a larger sample of the database of hairs, or at least it tested against larger sample sizes. Yeah, I'm saying there's got to be I don't know some Museum of Hair or something like what do they got? You know what I mean, Like, we gotta find the best spot to check it against, because I would love to just see if somebody be like, fuck, man, somebody in Tokyo and somebody in bang the Dash they have the exact same ribbon fiber and they never made this clothing. Well, and that's to me exciting, and so I don't want to I don't want to dismiss people who are in pain, and I also don't want to dismiss the excitement of finding out that that it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: And that doctor who collected all those fibers, he did claim that they found fibers from people that matched each other, but nothing else that the fibers matched from different.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was never then able to replicate those results or show any real proof of those results. He just said that that was the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, so that's the beginning. We got to go find the second example.
Speaker 2: I think I agree with you for the most part. I think I probably feel like there's less of a chance that more Gellon's is actually a real physical disease that we just haven't discovered but I do agree with you that a lot of people are suffering from something that probably most likely is a modern or evolved form of that delusional parasitosis.
Speaker 3: And I do think you should be able to be like, listen, you're your doctor visits are free if because it's not a the botomy you were asking for here, Like your doctor visits are free, and you'll be taking seriously at this clinic if you also, maybe we're like, let me try the make the itch go away pill. Yeah, exactly exactly. We want to try everything. I know it sounds scary. I know it sounds dangerous, but I promise you it's not gonna be shock treatment and it's not habit forming or whatever this case may be. Like give it, give it two weeks, and I promise this facility will still be here when you get back. Like this isn't a smoke screen, right, We're not going to report you to this get scared all time used that we were not one hundred percent sure as a real bank.
Speaker 2: We're gonna find out in the next couple of months, I.
Speaker 3: Think, Yeah, but so far the website still open. So far, so good. So that's how I would handle it.
Speaker 2: The scariest thing about more Gallons to me is sort of the scary thing about gang stalking, which is that there's this gap between the reality of the pain and the unreality of the explanation, and that is where Morgellons lives. There was a line that I saw in the research it's suffering caused in part by the search for the cause of suffering. Yeah, and I think that kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's also sums up scratching your own brain. That's the same way to get there.
Speaker 2: Well, the scratching your own brain is coming from the purely.
Speaker 3: It's that person is suffering from the cause of the suffering, that they're searching for the cause of the suffering ended up in their own brain.
Speaker 2: Well, I think in the case of Morgallons.
Speaker 3: Though, Okay, I'm saying, it's not a search, they're just trying to edch Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's a pretty good quote could be applied many places.
Speaker 2: The essays Leslie Jamison attended the annual Morgallon's conference in Austin back in twenty twelve and wrote about it for Harper's Magazine. She's a skeptic. She knows the medical consensus. She went there as a journalist, and after spending a weekend with sufferers of Morgallons, she wrote quote, the night after my meeting with Paul, I couldn't sleep for all the itching. I had two showers before bed and another in the morning. All through the convention, I am tormented, driven to senseless scratching.
Speaker 3: This is a random lady who just went with no signs of Morgallon.
Speaker 2: Correct, But I think that kind of says it all. She never came to believe that she was suffering from more gallons. But this is not a disease that afflicts the weak or the stupid. It's a disease that is contagious through suggestion.
Speaker 3: It's like that dancing disease.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, the dancing disease that I think by now, if you listen, if you are subscribed for NFU's, you probably will have heard that. But that's one of the scariest things I can imagine. A disease that is transmitted through suggestion is really frightening.
Speaker 3: Have you been on the internet disease suggestion at this point? Then?
Speaker 2: So that brings us to the end of our exploration of the disease. That may or may not be real, or might be both. More gallons, and we have to place it on our fear tire. So, ed, where are you going to place the mystery of Morgallon on your fear too?
Speaker 3: I'm going to do a hot weekend in Austin at the convention. AN eight sounds like everyone who goes there walks away with a little itch mm hmm, and otherwise a one.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to put more gallons at A one. I do think it is a.
Speaker 3: I feel like I would have known if I had it by now.
Speaker 2: You would have known if you had it.
Speaker 3: I only thought I had it that one day when I didn't sleep for three days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think most people who have it have that day and then something goes very wrong and they just keep having a version of that day for a very long time. Sure, so I'm placing more gallons at A one. I'm not particularly worried about it. I do think it is pretty much a psychosomatic illness, but I do think it's a very interesting rabbit hole to go down. I hope there is more study towards it, because it does seem to be something that is hurting a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, like anything in life, twenty years in you find out some shit that everyone thought was bullshit is a thing. And so like you do a lot of people ato service. Maybe if it's like, well fuck it, let's wait twenty more years to give a shit, then now you're forty years out and it's like, oh, we should have started that twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: And that's one of my greatest fears, procrastinating. Yeah, but we're not going to procrastinate the end of this episode any longer at all. Right, well, I can cut its own until next time.
Speaker 3: Guys. I'm Chris Calari and I'm feeling a little bit of a.
Speaker 2: Niche and we'll see you next time, which is real Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Scared All the Time is co produced by Chris Calari and Edvacola, written by Chris Calari, edited by Edvacola. Additional support and Keeper of Sanity is test Fiful. Our theme song is the track Scared by Perpetual.
Speaker 2: Stu and Mister Disclaimer is and just a.
Speaker 3: Reminder, you can now support the podcast on Patreon can get all kinds of cool shit in return, depending on the tear you choose, We'll be offering everything from ad free episodes, producer credits, exclusive access and exclusive merch.
Speaker 2: So go sign up for a Patreon and Scared All the Time podcast dot com.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. Full steady caps welcome.
Speaker 1: No part of the show can be reproduced anywhere without provision copyright astonishing.
Speaker 3: Legions Production Night. We are in this together together to gother