Speaker 1: Welcome in to Clips and Dip, I mean Clippers Talk. I'm Adam Oslin's second show of the day. Earlier today, If you missed it, I did a Clippers Talk live after that report that came out from OHM on ESPN, talking about coach lou and his time with Team USA and how he's extra motivated this season because Paul George left the Clippers. More on that coming up, but you see him. Let's introduce the guys you know him very well from the Clips and Dip podcast with myself. We got Chuck Mockler and Will Updike here for the first time on the YouTube side on Clippers Talk. They've been on Clippers Talk post game many times and will be this season as well.
Speaker 2: Chuck, We'll start with you.
Speaker 3: How you been I'm good. I was. I've been in line for the show. Hey, bobbleheads since six thirty in the morning, but I was. I'm happy that I made it here for this podcast. Excited to talk about the Clippers as always.
Speaker 2: We'll get to the Clippers.
Speaker 1: We will get to the Clippers for sure.
Speaker 2: Will Have you been good?
Speaker 4: Good? Yeah? How long has it been We've talked?
Speaker 3: Last Friday? Oh?
Speaker 2: In the text message, yeah earlier today.
Speaker 3: I do want to know, Adam, what's the body fat at? What's the quest to ten? Where are we at? You don't have to get hard numbers, but as someone who has watched the show, I understand.
Speaker 4: This is we need hard numbers.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you mine based on this.
Speaker 1: Shitty scale, the body composition.
Speaker 3: You got the RENFO, I got the RENFO. I did it. I did it yesterday. Fifteen point nine is what it told me.
Speaker 4: Ohow, he's lap, he's laughing at him.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't trust it. Though.
Speaker 1: That's better than what I got on the Dexas scan of my latest embarrassing TikTok.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. I don't believe the rent. Dude, you're in way better like muscular shape than I am. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got sixteen point two in the Dexa, which I guess is the gold standard. I did pay fifty bucks for this. When it comes some measuring body fat, I thought.
Speaker 2: It used to be the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was all right.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do it again in a month, and then it'll be about a month away from the Clipper season starting, and I'm trying to get to ten percent. Before October twenty third, when I take on the Phoenix suns it into adult so I think I can do it.
Speaker 3: Is there on the line if you don't.
Speaker 1: Just public embarrassment, even worse than the TikTok videos I've been doing, which are so stupid.
Speaker 4: You gotta go shirtless under the blazer opening night. Oh, if you don't make.
Speaker 1: It, that's fair, that's fair. Shame myself that way, look it off, fat, I am everyone point laugh. I'll do the walk of shame all the way from the Plaza Instia Arena like that.
Speaker 2: Oh be awful.
Speaker 1: Brian Seamou will laugh at me while he eats ice cream in my face for dinner. I mean, uh, okay, I have some interesting questions to ask you, guys. I guess based upon stuff we haven't talked about since we've been doing clips and day a little bit of the backstory regarding how we became fans. I don't normally like origin stories. I don't want to hear about Uncle Ben again dying. I don't want to hear about Batman's parents dying, or see it by Sack Snyder this time and how he wants to do that scene. But in this case, I do want to know how and why you became Clippers fans from Montana?
Speaker 2: Will We'll start with you.
Speaker 4: My uncle Don called me on the phone and he was like, I've just I've acquired a team. I've got a crazy idea. They're in San Diego right now, and I said, where the hell is San Diego. I'm in coldsor at Montana. He says, but I'm gonna move him to Los Angeles. And I was like that, I've heard of that. Seems that seems better. I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: How's your uncle doing?
Speaker 4: Inns Uh serious, serious, folks, folks, folks, I just do a terrible stand up. Okay. Uh So in Montana you get to root for whatever team you want. No one can criticize it. You know, I think that the pipeline to either Seattle or Denver teams is pretty strong, you know, I, you know, loosely like the Sonics, loosely like the Nuggets, eras of both that I like more than others. It's huge AI fan. So that was kind of like my my uh sort of basketball background. And then simultaneously, you know, I have the same sort of like underdog mentality as as the Clippers. I was you know, in sense for no reason that there were so many Lakers fans in Colstrip, Montana. Like you can't you can't just you can't just bandwagon the like you can't just bandwagon the most winning team of like of our generation. That's just like that, How is that fandom? That doesn't count?
Speaker 2: So I haven't earned this, Ryan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know I already had U. I already had a bit of an anti Lakers sentiment. Sorry to and you know that to Angelina. Sorry, I mean I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't know more, save more, please.
Speaker 4: And then you know, uh, there was kind of like that period of early thousands of basketball where I think myself and a lot of people kind of you know, there was a bit of a tune out there, I feel like for a little period of time. Uh. And then I was in college. I was in college when Blake Griffin was at OU and I don't even follow college basketball, but it was inescapable man. He was everywhere. It was, uh, you know, it was Griffin Mania. So got a very catchy name that you know, they consulted me on that. Uh. And so yeah, it was hard to not get kind of swept up in that. And then you know, obviously he went to the Clipperson end up playing that first season, but uh, that pretty much submentded it for me. And then I moved to Los Angeles and it was like there, you know, there's no there's no turning back, like there was no other option. You know, it just seemed it just seemed like a natural fit. So I guess in some ways, I'm a bandwagoner to my credit. Though in my defense, you know how difficult I didn't have cable growing up. You know how difficult it is to watch a Los Angeles Clippers game at that period of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to get any ship.
Speaker 2: I feel like that.
Speaker 4: I feel like the anti anti Lakers sentiment is enough for my for my Clippers bona fides. You can call me. You can also call me a band wagon. That's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't know. You approved yourself. You are worthy of being a Clippers fan.
Speaker 1: Chuck, this start in a similar fashion. You jumped on the bandwagon with Blake Griffin.
Speaker 3: Well, I just won so much. Uh No, So yeah, I mean, like I was familiar with obviously in like one with the Knuckleheads, it was like talk about another thing that so, uh, I'm from Western Montana, which is more populated than Eastern Montana, but still Western Montana, And so as someone who loved.
Speaker 4: Basically the same but with a beanie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the most fan mountains and so like in the early thousands, if you listen to hip hop or anything like that, the knuckleheads were a huge movement. So I think I literally probably saw them first in a music video and then all the highlights where you could like download them off LimeWire or whatever.
Speaker 2: Were you watching what.
Speaker 1: Was it called a Perfect Score with Darius Miles the movie?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, just a powerhouse performance. So I was, you know, I they were on my radar then, just because that was also a kind of basketball that you know, the basketball the knuckleheads were playing was full of a little more joy than the basketball that I was experiencing firsthand in Montana, where it was a rule when I was in high school that if you don't und it was a foul. You couldn't. Yeah, it was like a technical foul.
Speaker 4: Did you do teacher tell you that they saw somebody lose a finger with a wedding ring because of dunking.
Speaker 3: Yep. So like it was very anti I mean, steeped and basically racism. Why, like you couldn't play fun basketball. So that was in my head. And then my family, my mom's side of the family's from Oklahoma. So when Blake and Sam Bradford were I think the first two guys at a school to win a Heisman and the Naysmith Award, I think that was the first time that ever happened until Tebow and Noah. That was just like, you know, Blake being the man. My aunt just was losing her mind. Then he went to LA. Then I moved to LA. I think Will was here before me, and then I moved out like a half a year or so later, and then it was just like, well, fuck it, we're here, let's watch the Clippers.
Speaker 4: So we're here, I think in correct me if I'm wrong, but I think our first Christmas in LA, you got a gift of Clippers tickets, and I think that was like the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah what y're.
Speaker 4: Twelve twelve?
Speaker 1: Okay, so early lob City days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a blue Blake jersey that I still have with the red Los Angeles script. I love that jersey. The script. Oh yeah, the script is back. But yeah, so that that's where I and again same with and with Will, Like just in Montana, it was like you can choose whoever you want to be a fan of. So it was like I'm yeah, whatever, I'll be a Clippers fan.
Speaker 5: Do you go.
Speaker 3: And my mom hated the Lakers, which was a big part. My mom was a huge My grandpa was a college basketball player. He played in the pan Am Games, which is crazy, and so like basketball was big and my mom hated basketball. She hated Kobe Bryant because he would just win all the time. It wasn't some like obviously she respected his game, but she was like she loved Ai so that was obviously.
Speaker 4: She knew the game.
Speaker 3: I mean she had the hooper, not he knew the game. My mom knows the game. So it was like, yeah, well, I'm not going to be this fan of this team. And they were good again, Like what Will was saying people who I think if you move from Montana in LA, you do have some kind of delusional underdog part of your brain. So it was like, I can't move here and become a Lakers fan because that also felt gross. And as someone who enjoys live sports, being able to afford to go to games does lead me to be fan of a team, and they were a lot easier and still are a lot easier to go forward than the Lakers. No knock on the Lakers if you can charge a charge it, but that's where I was at at the time, and never wavered.
Speaker 1: I think we're all similar in one respect that we gravitated towards the Clippers because of maybe a counter culture, anti Laker type of mentality because I was from NorCal, you know, Sacrae, small, small time team I did, they almost left, and I was a hardcore Kings fan. But when I was really young, I did like the Lakers because I love Magic Johnson and the Kings did nothing for so long, late eighties, early nineties. I think the first time they made the playoffs in my lifetime was like ninety six maybe, and they lost in three games or whatever it was in the first round.
Speaker 2: Mitch Richmond the.
Speaker 1: Rock, those guys, and I adored them. But if I wanted to watch playoff basketball and go further into the season, I had to have another team. And sometimes when you're a kid, colors or a smile.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can do it for you.
Speaker 1: The Lakers were these beautiful gold jerseys and Magic Johnson just looked like this fun, loving point guard that shared the ball, was a great leader.
Speaker 2: I love the guy that played him a winning time. Magic was my favorite player ever, just the way he played.
Speaker 4: You know, were you also a Warriors fan at some point?
Speaker 3: Were you?
Speaker 4: Have you been a fan of every single California team or no?
Speaker 1: No, no. I was never on with the Warriors, even though my dad tried to convert me because he lived in San Francisco back when they won with Rick Berry back in the day. But never a golden guy. To be fair, they also were really bad around that time.
Speaker 3: The Killers still I mentioned still time.
Speaker 2: Uh there's there's still time.
Speaker 1: But I would feel the same way that I feel about Laker felt about Lakers fans back then, like it was so easy.
Speaker 2: When the Kobe Shaq era came around, I just didn't like them. I liked Shaq when I was very young in Orlando.
Speaker 1: I thought he was funny, and then you grow up you're like, wow, this guy's just.
Speaker 3: Well and they kill your team. At the time, it was like they just kill whatever team you're rooting for. You're like, all right, well, I can't like the guy. Can respect him, but I can't like the guy who's kicking the shit out of my team.
Speaker 1: Well, my sister was a Bulls fan from Sacramento because they were always winning and she loved Michael Jordan. And then when they beat the Lakers in ninety one the finals, you know, I'm crying and cared so much, and she's.
Speaker 2: Just like, whatever, cool, we won again type thing.
Speaker 1: They really that was the first time they had won with them j But you know, she had the Bulls starter jacket, so that bugged me, and I think I was just starting to, you know, form this mindset of I don't like the team that's on top.
Speaker 2: My sister liked the Bulls and MJ.
Speaker 1: I didn't like MJ because of that, and I certainly didn't like the Lakers and the Hollywood type of feel they had with the Kobe and Shaq era and how it was almost celebrated with the infighting. Oh but we went anyways type thing. It was just like, I want to root for guys I like, and I really love that King's team in the early two thousands. That is my that is my old time, you know, favorite team outside of some of these Clippers teams.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and two Kings, you know, I followed them. I was so die hard.
Speaker 1: I I spent a lifetime on that series.
Speaker 2: In two thousand, you're.
Speaker 3: So you have a Dick Bavetta Lakers jersey. You're such a diehard, which I still don't understand is not a more insane I don't know. That is like one of the It's an iconic Kings fan move. I feel like we.
Speaker 1: Wore my buddy. I bought him the Bob Delaney jersey because he bred. That Game six in two thousand and two, for those who don't know, is one of the more scrutinized games for bad officiating in the history of sports. The Lakers got twenty seven free throws in the fourth quarter of that game. Scott Pollard filed out in ten minutes in that game, and the Lakers had to win to extend the series to go back and have a Sunday game on NBC in Sacramento. In Game seven, Wow, nothing at all.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Some ref went to jail for something, but Tim Donnie actually wasting that series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a rogue referee, even though he was calling Scott Foster a four and after every game. That's no story for another day. I don't think Scott Foster was involved in anything. But at that time, you know, I was so upset and spent so much time because then I coming to college down here, I'm at my old university, Bible Institute of Los Angeles. I'm arguing the basketball team NAIA.
Speaker 2: Or something league. I didn't really want many games.
Speaker 1: But I'm taking all this yeah incoming from Lakers fans, and I'm fighting in the forums of BIOLA.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah clubs or something that's.
Speaker 1: Is bord fighting all day long because the series had just happened by the time I get there, and that only crystallized my fandom for the Kings and hatred for the Los Angeles Lakers, so I could never be a Lakers fan like you guys.
Speaker 2: And then I went to a Clippers Kings game around that time. It was two thousand and three, so it's the next season. Somebody drove by.
Speaker 1: It was a friend, but he randomly was like, hey, you guys, won't take us to the Clippers games?
Speaker 2: And I were like, yeah, we'll go to the basketball game. Who are they playing? The Kings of dope, We're gonna see the Sacramento Kings.
Speaker 1: And it was funny because at that game, during a time out, you know, they'd have some fun on the Jumbo Tron. They were comparing I don't know if the second Adam's Family movie was out, they were doing some promotion for that, but they were showing like one of the characters from that and then comparing them to a player. And they showed who was the bald guy in the.
Speaker 6: Uncle That sounds right, Yeah, they showed him and then they did a side by side juxtaposition with key On Clark of the Sacramento Kings on the Jumbo trod and he flipped it off.
Speaker 1: The bringest middle finger I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: He was fined fifty thousand dollars. You can find this report, but I was like, it was like for a guy that.
Speaker 1: Was, I don't know, making two million dollars a year or something like that back then, maybe less good player. But I always liked the Clippers because anti Lakers stuff, and also like you the knuckleheads. I saw a game at Arco one time where all Darius Miles did pregame was shoot half court shots while everybody else is in the layup line. It was just like, awesome girl.
Speaker 3: Was supposed to be fun.
Speaker 1: I had a ton of love for those guys and the six team. I wanted them to play the Lakers so bad because I felt like they would have beat them. I'm sure they would have. They easily could have beaten the Phoenix Suns. And from there I followed them more closely, and then obviously being involved with the team, you become more of a fan, you have a rooting interest.
Speaker 2: And all that. But I genuinely love it.
Speaker 1: You know, I do a lot of podcasts right now just because I can't stop thinking about the damn Clippers.
Speaker 2: And it's great, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you guys for sharing that. Could we talk more about our dislike or disdain from Laker fans and the makeup of them and why we.
Speaker 3: Can't stand them.
Speaker 2: I just it's so strange to me.
Speaker 1: How do you jump on a team and get any fulfillment from that when they like just are about to win the championship. So my buddy like became a Denver Broncos fan when they were in that Super Bowl against the Packers. Like, as it's going along, he's like, that's my team.
Speaker 3: What he's switching He's switching shirts. He's taking a shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John always my favorite player, ever, as he's about to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't give a lot of credit to that.
Speaker 1: Do you guys have any deep cut Clipper players, like when we say ironically Clipper legend.
Speaker 2: For Mike Muscala and guys like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe someone who actually played a few games, But do you have any of those guys in the past that helps solidify your fandom that you just really love more obscure Clippers.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's probably me Los for me because that was like, this was like pre even pre locked on Clippers. Charles and I had a different podcast before that, and we were very excited about me. Yeah, like, that's one that will always stick to me. What's the he has the Star Wars bopplehead that I think is one.
Speaker 3: Of the that's at my office. I have that at my office right now.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Little magic he had.
Speaker 1: He had a couple of really exciting games. He wasn't he wasn't terrible. He had the plantar fascion.
Speaker 2: I just going on, he.
Speaker 3: Was the worst offender I've ever seen in my life. Willie Green, for some reason, popped out into my head as a guy who I was just like, Okay, I kind of like how this guy plays basketball didn't exactly translate to a bunch of wins.
Speaker 4: Uhke for sure, just because he was such a.
Speaker 3: Good guy in the locker room, dude, Jamichael Green. Yeah, and these are yeah again this is more recent stuff from when like yeah, actual contact with them so like that like elevated it to a level of like I mean when dude the bench mob with like Barnes and that stuff like that. That was a cool time when it was like they were kind of you know, they bring in the bench and it was not as Hollywood as the starting five or whatever. Like I I liked. I liked Matt Barnes the Clipper too.
Speaker 4: Camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, was that fight that almost broke out and he had like hold Blake back or Blake had to hold him back.
Speaker 2: There was a great photo from it. I remember, I forget who was who it was against, but Matt Barnes obviously about that life as Daric Fisher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no shit, But yeah, those guys are probably like the minor ones that I probably liked the most.
Speaker 1: I had a ton of love one of my favorite players all time. He's not some lesser known player, but he wasn't a Clipper for long, but had a big impact. Sam Cassell, Sam I Am Cassell is one of my all time favorite players because his Houston Rocket days. I loved watching him, then I love watching him with Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: There's only one instance. Wait, was Sam Cassell the eight second? That was his second violation, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like my Sam Cassell.
Speaker 3: Not my Sam Cazelle.
Speaker 2: Two time champion, one of the most clutch players ever.
Speaker 1: I always felt like I think he had a quote one time in Slam magazine or something where they asked him if he was on our team Jordan and Kobe and these all time greats, and he was in this starting five, who would take the last shot? And he was like me, like he had this ridiculous confidence and mid range game and post up game for a guard that kind of has gone extinct in some ways.
Speaker 2: I love Sam Cassell.
Speaker 3: It was Sam Cassell. Damn it wash? Yeah, I was like, I thought that was Sam Cassell. They lost that game.
Speaker 2: So many big shots though somebody.
Speaker 1: That's just yeah, that's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Uh. The ewing play is the one I was thinking of that stood out to me. M not defending against Phoenix. I think it was I don't know.
Speaker 1: So some of these lesser known guys. I really liked Sentarious Thornwell bro.
Speaker 3: Oh Man. Yes, he was what an interesting locker room guy. One time we were at it was like the year after Cindarius was off the team, I think, and someone some player was facetiming with him. It might have been lou Will and like Syndarius was playing in the G League somewhere and we heard him talking and he was like, oh yeah, he's like I got the gallo issue today and they're like what He's like, Oh yeah, I'm hurt. I'm doing the gallo. It was like a joke that to not practice. They were referencing it as the gallo for Danio Gallinari, which I think is like I'm giving him the gallow treatment, which I thought was pretty funny.
Speaker 1: I did have a receipt check with him one time because I was praising him.
Speaker 2: I think I said it at media day.
Speaker 1: I brought up the G League because one time Sendarius Thornwell said you don't.
Speaker 2: Want to go down to the G League.
Speaker 1: They're like wolves down there, and I brought it up to another player and for whatever reason, Sindarius was on Twitter and said, I never said that, and so I love him saying it, and he never responded to it, but I love the guy he was. He was one of those guys that I don't know, it's a good bar question, I guess for a Clipper fan.
Speaker 3: Dude. Well, we would always joke that Doc would always put Sindarius in for like an in mountains play or like the final free throw of the half, and like that would be like his only playing time, just because he would like maybe cose chaos. So we started calling him Syndarius Stints, which is always a good time.
Speaker 1: What is the best time you've ever had watching a Clippers game that doesn't include Game six to get to the Western Conference Finals and beating Utah. It could be something personal to you. You're just with the right friend right time you're watching this game. Maybe it helped you drive you deeper into your fandom saw a certain game.
Speaker 2: It could be anything.
Speaker 3: Will do you want to go? Because I think we might have the same answer now you go. Will And I watched the gigantic comeback against the Warriors at a friend's bar that he owned, and we were just it was very fun. We were living it up. I think we we caused a lot of people to leave that bar because it was not a sports bar. This was like a cool Hollywood bar type them.
Speaker 4: Red wine, Will was when you drink a little, a little too much red wine get a little rowdy.
Speaker 3: Well was drinking red wine brings.
Speaker 4: The demons out of me.
Speaker 3: I was drinking Gin and Tonics. And I think we did a we did a live like Winstain like at the bar, just being like the clamper, like let's fucking go. That was. That's up That's up there with some of my favorite just sports memories because that also, I mean that that that Lawlor call is. I'm getting goosebumps thinking about that Lawler call. I think it's the only three pointer that lander Sham had ever made for the Clippers. But I I'm never gonna what I can remember from that night. I've never I'm never going to forget.
Speaker 2: I don't think they come back down thirty one.
Speaker 1: We're taking thirty one shots boys, I.
Speaker 3: Mean yeah, we were halfway there. That was probably that's probably my favorite watching the clips memory because Will was, I mean Will we got to be acting that game six, which is freaking sick.
Speaker 1: So I remember the Blake dunkover Kendrick Perkins. Well, I was hanging out with this girl had a boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I should have been hanging out with her.
Speaker 1: And I just remember that not a by all over dog. It had a sneaker and yeah, uh closed door prayer meeting here, that's all.
Speaker 2: It's gone all nighter locking prayer.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: That dunk I must have rewound like fifty thousand times like that dunk over Kendrick Perkins, so so many times.
Speaker 2: It was just ingrained in my head.
Speaker 3: I could and the game breaker dunk I always called the game breaker dunk from Jamal to Blake where it does a meal that literally is a dunk you do in NBA street, Like, well, what's your sorry? I bet I was spouting off about the worst you have a one that's different.
Speaker 4: I mean no, it's really like it's gotta be that games Game six is out. Yeah, I don't know. I will say one of the weirder ones was like the infamous I was I was in the building for the infamous Hardened step back where he dropped Avery Bradley and like, oh Wes Johnson, oh Wes Johnson, yes, yeah, sorry, where he dropped Wes.
Speaker 3: I forgot that, And it was like like every like the entire arena stopped in a way that it's like never stopped before.
Speaker 4: Like I thought the I honestly like, what did the whistle like go off for something? Because it was like it was that insane, like you saw it happen. It might have been a little show with there. I don't know that was actually Hardens a clipper. There's no way there was a show. There was never a shove. He didn't even touch the guy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But like, just I've never seen I can't think of another moment in an arena where the entire thing like you could, yeah you could the cliche thing you could, you could have heard a pin drop. It was nuts. It was absolutely insane, and it felt like I have to be honest with you, from the time he hit the ground until got that shot off, it felt like minutes, Like it felt like so fucking long. I was like, that's why I thought there was like a whistler or something. I was like, is this ever gonna end?
Speaker 1: That was Wes Johnson going into the sunken place?
Speaker 3: You know? That was Yeah.
Speaker 1: Every time I saw him after that, the coaching staff, I was like, damn, that was a rough moment.
Speaker 2: I can't get that out of my head.
Speaker 3: I mean that would suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I like, wes uh sure if you could intervene. There was a show in the eighties called Hour of This World and this girl that found out she was an alien would put her two fingers together like this and release alien power.
Speaker 2: Hours where she could stop time.
Speaker 1: But she could be walking throughout it, kind of like Quicksilver when he's moving around fast with the X Men. You know he's doing stuff while everybody else is standing still. If you could do that for any moment that is not Joe Ingles and the a cl Terror, Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 3: Any of the other ones, how about anything, I'll do it for any of the other We.
Speaker 1: Don't know when when it happened with the other one.
Speaker 3: Time. I could go through every Thanks to Basketball Reference, I could look up every possession Kawhi Leonard ever play. No, I would I mean the eight second thing, maybe be the eight second violation from Sam.
Speaker 2: You just get behind Sam and push him forward and be like get across the court.
Speaker 3: Or I mean Blake punching the trainer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was tough.
Speaker 2: There were friends, though I heard there were better friends afterwards. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Will you got them moment you'd like to change with some divine, divine intervention.
Speaker 2: Or everything happened a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot to choose from what suck.
Speaker 2: What's the biggest butterfly effect moment that you could change? You know, it really alter.
Speaker 3: Things for the Clippers.
Speaker 2: That's not the quiet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have a really funny one that I'll say after Will but.
Speaker 4: Montrez and Lou tried doubly hard to stop. Uh kd Clippers take the Warriors to uh to game seven? Uh, shay is it's not up he's not tradable. Sorry, it's not up for debate. He took the champs. He took the champs to like as a rook took the champce to to game seven. Uh, it's not up for debate. He's not tradable.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: I think obviously more than one single moment. But because he scored what forty eight or whatever something like that, maybe it was it was a huge game.
Speaker 3: It it might have been fifty.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 3: That was the press box game where we were just sitting there and Kevin Durant was just one step.
Speaker 4: I've never been more pissed at, like seeing such a feet of great It.
Speaker 3: Was like watching Mozart and you're like, well this fucking sucks. Yeah, exactly exactly sucks happening.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that would be my There's multiple moments of intervention there, but yeah, who knows.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I would just pause time, go over to the scores table, take a few points off of Kevin Durant. Everybody blinks and they're like, huh, I thought he had more than just five.
Speaker 3: But I would go I got two funny ones. One just as to see what would happen. The second bid group to buy the Clippers that was second to Balmer had a group that was like Oprah and some other people, just to see what would happen. I think it would be very funny to see what would happen if Oprah on the Clippers. And the other one, I'm keeping Liu Will out of the club during COVID. I'm keeping him out of the matter. Getting the wings delivered.
Speaker 4: I think I think it was needed. I think the vibes would have been so much worse he hadn't been able to let a little steam off.
Speaker 2: You know, make with Jack Carlo.
Speaker 3: I would also make it so Jack Carlan never made music. Then that photo doesn't happen. Uh, what would you what would you stop time?
Speaker 1: Oh m, I might save Wes Johnson right now after thinking back on that play and how that might have affected him afterwards.
Speaker 2: I might stop that from happening somehow.
Speaker 3: You would stop V from recording?
Speaker 1: No, my god, that happened as it should. Uh, maybe it happens earlier and we.
Speaker 3: Have a record earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Will's got me on this rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: Now, if they somehow beat Golden State in that series, or like you said.
Speaker 3: Just take just go to seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if he has a thirty point game in the game seven and they lose by five or something in a close game, he is untradable at that point.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: I guess I never thought they really Yeah, it took him to six, Yeah, it was nothing.
Speaker 3: Then Kevin Duran scored fifty points.
Speaker 1: I remember Lou Will and Pat Bev after that when reporters were asking them about like how come you guys could really stop KD, and they looked at each other like, because he's k D.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I promise that's why I said. That would be my intervenience that they tried doublely hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any of the Chris Paul injuries. Again, there's a lot of there's a lot of things.
Speaker 4: To You're just like, you're I'm just imagining You're like just somehow supporting that hamstring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just doing it. Was just like Gi, I'm pausing time. I'm standing on the court obviously with a medical journal, and I'm like, Okay, how does this happen? And I'm just small tweaks just so the weight distribution, you know what I mean, Just so just so we're good.
Speaker 1: There's like people think they see something when they wake back up. It's like the penis at the end of Fight Club. It's just a really quick frame and that was Chuck supporting them.
Speaker 3: And then I'm going and I'm back in the time. The future.
Speaker 4: That's all it could take, you know, yeah, the futures. If you really believe in the butterfly effect, that's truly all it could take.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Really, this does change things, though, because if I change anything before you know, I move here, maybe they become some kind of juggernaut and I'm like, oh, this team wants eight championships in a row. I don't know if I want to root for this team.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, this show is about to cut out because you just altered time to get to a point where we're not even doing this right.
Speaker 3: I wake up tomorrow living in Saskatchewan, I'll know that things have gone awry timeline wise.
Speaker 1: Uh, what's we all know what mine is? What's the worst take you've ever had about the Clippers that you'd like to take back?
Speaker 3: Wait? Is here the John Wall one?
Speaker 1: You know it? Worse?
Speaker 3: Man, I've had a well, I've had a lot of bad takes.
Speaker 1: What hmmm, I want I want your worst?
Speaker 2: What's what's most regrettable? I said John Wall, shooting him bump thirty eight from three.
Speaker 3: I think at one point I said, if Jamichael Green hit certain situations, we should give him like a four year, seventy million dollar contract. I think that was probably my worst. Oh no, I had my worst take at one point when the this was even before I think the lew and Tres pick and roll was going crazy. I said that the Clippers should just give Tres a lifetime contract for one hundred million dollars, which, if you think about the math for it at the time, yeah, is not that much money per year. No, that's probably my worst take that I I would. I don't. I'm a pretty easy going Clippers person. I'm like, yeah, it was a bad take. Whatever I think. I vehemently defended that one at one point.
Speaker 1: I mean, a Jerry Buss like deal with Magic Johnson that would have aged very well. Now, unfortunately he's been hurt recently. But we loved Montrez at the time before we went to the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Look at our backup centers since Tres. Yeah, not exactly. It's exactly running the best pick and roll of all time.
Speaker 1: He and James Harden in the pick and roll.
Speaker 2: I mean they were in Houston together for a second, but Tres wasn't playing much. Will you have any Uh.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm racking my brain here.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to think it's something I mean I said, but was going to be great. He's been great.
Speaker 3: We're not doing good.
Speaker 4: I said, this is our year. Get back to me.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, no comment. No, that's good to age gracefully too, of course.
Speaker 4: Uh make sure you bookmark this one.
Speaker 3: Sorry year, clip it, clip it, chat clip it.
Speaker 1: So we talked about I think off the top or behind the scenes. It's so Tany's second bobblehead giveaway, and people were there. I think some were there eleven before the sun was up eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the late the crazy I was eleven.
Speaker 4: Do you think the sun doesn't come up before eleven?
Speaker 3: Sometimes depends on how it's feeling. Well, First of all, the sun is flat. I'm on this new wave that the Sun is flat, not the Earth.
Speaker 1: Earth und That's what smash Mouth meant by walking on the sun.
Speaker 3: Can you walk on the sun, bro, It's not flat. You can't walk on a damn yoga ball, you know what I meant.
Speaker 1: The O Tommy bobbleheads are out second version, and they're a hot ticket item right now. In fact, some people have multiple tickets just so they can go there and get multiple bobble heads and not even stay for the ball game.
Speaker 2: As we were talking about earlier, Chef. They're not even there for that.
Speaker 1: They're just there to go on to eBay, where some of them are being priced at twelve thousand dollars. If you have one of the rare gold ones. There's only two thousands of those ones, we hear, so if.
Speaker 7: You should step in he buys them all like that, it'd be like that it'd be like the Thing from Holes where he gets convicted for stealing the shoes from Uh, well he didn't.
Speaker 4: Really do it. He gets wrongfully convicted for stealing the shoes from the charity thing and the and the player says, you're no fan of mine. Oh, Tani needs to do that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: I want to keep I want to keep the creativity and the laughs going here by asking you if you were in charge of designing a bobblehead for one Clipper, who would it be this season?
Speaker 1: Could there be a prop involved? Oughtani's got his dog? Who are you going with?
Speaker 2: Who's the guy?
Speaker 3: Damn? This season?
Speaker 4: Long hairs and vikingman.
Speaker 3: Dude that is sick. Viking Zoo Dude. Viking Zoo would be so rad. That's a great answer.
Speaker 1: That sounds like the old nigitroll figures I had where they just ran out of ideas and were like, all right, Donna Tello in an astronaut uniform, sell it.
Speaker 3: So this wouldn't be a bibblehead. But Will and I have had a running joke for a I think the whole time Kwai has been on the Clippers that they should give away Hulk hands. But they're Kawhi hands to the whole crowd. So everyone just has giant Kawhi hands in the crowd.
Speaker 4: That or that's a good giveaway.
Speaker 3: Or Steve Ballmer hyper realistic masks seventeen thousand people in hyper realistic Steve Ballmer mask. You're you're You're not You're not shooting your average from three. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are your guys.
Speaker 3: Or wait, oh sorry, one more. PJ Tucker and a recliner using a rotary phone to call a media member.
Speaker 2: That's what I was looking for, Ding Ding ting Ring Ring Ring.
Speaker 3: He's got a baking over him his lap because he's not playing, but he's he's TV dinner rotor.
Speaker 1: What I'm out in a phone booth like he's dropping a dive on. So he's got some really real hardcore intel.
Speaker 3: The shoes are cool, he has cool shoes on.
Speaker 2: He's a c I.
Speaker 3: But he's telling Jana's car why he should have twenty five minutes per game. It's what he's doing.
Speaker 2: PJ Tucker right here has been killing everybody in practice and they don't want him to show off tonight at the game.
Speaker 1: Bobby Valentine, Uh, I want Kawhi. This is like a play set. I don't even know if just a bobblehead, but I want him in the Chevy Tahoe or whatever it was, Jimmy Suv or whatever. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'd like that.
Speaker 4: Or Kawhi with the wingstop coupons.
Speaker 3: Oh, that'd be good too.
Speaker 2: That'd be good too. Okay, there was some a little bit.
Speaker 3: I got one more. Do you guys remember the picture from last season of Tylo turning around and looking at someone in the crowd. Yes, no, a bottle ahead of Tyler doing that would be so real. Ones will know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: All the time. What do you what are you talking about? Chuck?
Speaker 3: Well, he was looking at something specific. It would just be so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm snipping this out, uh clipping all dude.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Coach Lou.
Speaker 2: That's why you did it.
Speaker 1: I know, good segue, good transition, Thanks for the lob he comes out well. I guess it happened last week, but om on ESPN reported that Coach Lou and got some quotes from him. Is basically extra motivated because Paul George is in Philadelphia and so it's lit even more of a fire underneath him.
Speaker 2: To prove the doubters wrong.
Speaker 1: Talked about it on a Live earlier today. I want to get your guys thoughts on this. Is that something or nothing is that meaningful to you? Is that just a nice blurb and optimistic stuff for Clipper Nation to attach itself to or is there really you know, can you really get up even more be more.
Speaker 2: Motivated for this upcoming season?
Speaker 4: I think you can if you're ty Lou. I mean, like, you know, we know just how methodical his approaches. We know that he would like literally kill himself doing this job. What was it two seasons ago where he had like how many funerals and stuff that he had to miss?
Speaker 3: Like he he puts it had to take a break because he was like wandering around the streets at like just thinking about Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I would say, you know, like Tyleru as a coach is close to that, like gott to be close to that, like maniacal almost Jordan level for how how badly he wants to win and like how much like how much head I always talked about like how much headspace something occupies. I don't know, like how much room Tyleru has for for other stuff, you know, like for for for much of anything else. I hope he does the Steve Steve job. He's got all one outfit that he just pops on or whatever, which we know we don't because we've seen we've seen the fits. We've seen the fits. But anyways, so I think I think it's possible. Uh, you know, motivated Tyler, I think it could be our year.
Speaker 3: I so I agree, I think it's possible. But I also think it's kind of perfect collision of things to happen. Right He's in Paris coaching the high I mean, you know, some of the highest level of basketball you can possibly coach. He's with his new lead assistant, coach Van Gundy in Paris, who's a defensive guy too, so it's both these two defensive guys. I think it's like, you know, I don't, I don't know if he's working harder, you know what I'm saying. But I think there is a renewed spirit and I think that came from being in Paris with JVG and just be like, oh, we can like bounce stuff off each other, like let's do this.
Speaker 4: The ESPN article said what he had like he had photos in his camera roll of like three hundred new plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think that it's like I think that like work retreat, for lack of a better term for it, has made him more hyped. And it's a good field trip, great field trip. And you know, we all want to prove I mean, if you're a Clippers fan, you want to prove any press member wrong who isn't a Clippers press member at all times, because we're always underestimated. And yeah, and Paul George sucks. So I think I'm adding that in there too.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine, I mean, let's just talk about this for a second too, how hamstrung you were as a coach with Paul George. And I'm not saying that Tyler did not control the locker room. I'm not saying that he didn't, you know, he wasn't able to run his stuff, But I'm saying there had to have been limitations, and beyond that, there had to have been a sort of tenor to the locker room that you know, you have to kind of dance around that you just kind of have to dance around. And I'm not saying that as any side of like slight on Tyler Lou. I think that he commands a locker room. I'm sure pretty well we know how much you know leeway he'll give to vets and stuff, sometimes to his own detriment, but he's like clearly a guy who knows how to manage personalities, something that Doc Rivers I feel like didn't do very well. But even still, like with somebody like Paul George who was waffling constantly on what they want and what they need and still somehow has so much sense and pull in actual front office, you know things that to me, it's impossible to believe that his coaching wasn't somehow inhibited by that presence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your star players like give me the ball, Okay, I actually I don't want this anymore.
Speaker 4: Why would you do that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Why who told you to do that?
Speaker 3: Who told you that?
Speaker 1: It does seem like if anyone is the type of guy and he played with MJ, you brought him up with the Washington Wizards. I think coach Lou looks for any perceived slight.
Speaker 2: And uses his motivation. I really do, because.
Speaker 1: Even with reporters sometimes there was a game last year where someone brought up the Pelicans record against the Clippers and what Zion's been able to do against them, and I think you're responded with let me know what happens tonight.
Speaker 3: The game. And then there was the game with Violon Cunas where he hit all those threes, and I think the next time we played the Pels he said something like you like he remembered that. Yeah, yeah, no, he's I'm excited. I think. Uh. I think a motivated Tyleru is great. Not that he wasn't motivated last year, but I think he's just more amped up. He's feeling the vibes from a good work retreat.
Speaker 1: Do you think Kawhi has any added motivation? Not really because of Paul George, but what will happened with Team USA? Coach Lou did come out today and say and said, Kawhi is gonna be ready for trading camp. We talk like every day, we talk all the time. He's gonna be ready.
Speaker 2: He feels good, he feels healthy.
Speaker 3: All the time. I think, uh, I don't know. I say, I nodded no, But I think that's only because his motivation is always it one hundred and whatever percent that he can get to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's always locked in. I don't I don't think anything's really phasing.
Speaker 3: That I don't have like quotes or podcast appearances of his to go off of, thank God, So I'm just assuming he's always at one thousand percent lock.
Speaker 4: I also, like Tyler, brought up the thing that I always harp on, which is a full training camp with the guys. I talked about this, I add nauseum last season, like I, you know, we waited so long on the Hardened deal, and it made sense. We wanted to get something done, you know for assets that we found were like acceptable. But you know, the big what if to me for all of last season is like what if they had had a full training camp together? Like what, you know, what what could have been different if you know, they didn't come out the gate without Harden, have some you know, some ups with Paul George and then hit that skid, which they obviously you know, turned around as best as you could. But still part of me is always going to wonder about that, you know, the last two and three year and what it could have looked like if there if there had been a full training camp with Champs Harden.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it would have taken given up Terrence Man to make the move happen faster.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it. I think it for sure? Did I think that's why we saw so much press about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then and you know, then PJ would understand his role a little bit.
Speaker 3: More to talk to the media, jel a little bit.
Speaker 4: Collect so we could have saved a few bucks on that. I don't know, l A T.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PJ. Pj's for sure asking his agent, He's like, how do I get these carrot top gigs selling? Call a TT like PJ? That was decades Again, I'm begging you, begging you to get a new TV.
Speaker 1: Is sprint still around?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Before we get out of here, let's pump up what's coming on Friday because we have a Clips and Dip live.
Speaker 2: I believe hang.
Speaker 3: Out we do. But I do want to share. Uh you said before the show we were going to talk about our highest moments as like media people, and I do just want to share.
Speaker 2: No, just lowest. What do you.
Speaker 3: Get that positive? Chuck Mockler ship out of here? So I'm actually wearing the og Betoom Battalion shirt that we had designed by Eddie Maldon, who you should go follow and enjoy his arty the clippers Man. But getting to be a part of the batun Battalion creation with Will and Joseph I Award and Brian Cohen. It's like just generally one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of. And I don't think something like that happens for a franchise. You know, that isn't the Clippers. I think we had that. I mean a batomb killed it. The people who listened to Clippers podcasts are incredibly dedicated Clippers fans and just seeing how that's like become a thing. Buttom has one of these shirts, which is also very cool. Shout out Brian Semen.
Speaker 1: Brian has said, buttoo Battalion Assemble.
Speaker 3: The Clippers marketing team tried to make their own shirts and they were not good, but I was, I don't know, I'm just proud of it. It's like a really cool thing, and it's basically from Will's belief in Batoom after that first signing and all of us just yeah, so that was That's probably my highest moment as.
Speaker 4: A media member. Same for you, Will, Yeah, yeah, I mean definitely definitely that.
Speaker 2: The media room hot dogs or hey that's.
Speaker 5: All baby, Yeah, trying to eat keto in the media room sometimes I'm literally going to hot talk no bun like a fucking real freak.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think. Oh man. Another weird one was, uh being in the locker room when Paul George didn't make the All Star that first year. Uh and Pat bev like went on a went on a rant. That was a wild one.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know anytime, anytime, Uh we've gotten to interact with the like a listener or view or too. Like every single interaction has been great.
Speaker 3: One time someone thought I was Brian Cohen. I just went with it. So that was fun.
Speaker 1: How about we're getting that into a dome tour today clips. I was all right, there's a twur of like thirty people and they point us out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was pretty sick. Someone at work recognized me and I was like, please don't talk about.
Speaker 1: This, Oh, don't talk about five club.
Speaker 3: But we are doing a live show on Friday. You are correct about that? At them?
Speaker 2: What time we looking at.
Speaker 3: Five thirty post Meridian Beautiful.
Speaker 2: You guys should be there for that. Thanks to Chuck and Will for being here for this here on Clippers Talk first of the YouTube ones, but they've been coming on with me before we were doing Clips and Dip. They would come on with the post games sometimes on Clippers Talk. Oh yeah, and that was good Phil, instead of callers, you know, yelling at me about things being upset and me having a strike back.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, let's not act like you're a neutral. Let's not act like you're Switzerland.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like two callers. It's like Sean and Ingelewood and one other guy and that's it. Morrison Long Beach always brings a positivity. And whoever you know Carl is using as his anonymous name what he calls him.
Speaker 3: Tarlo Kart. I think he uses Tarlo Kart.
Speaker 2: He fools me every time. It's too slick with it.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you guys for watching. We'll be on Friday with another Clips and Dip on the Clips and Dip side for Chuck, my clip for William Updyke.
Speaker 2: I'm out of Moslin.
Speaker 1: This has been an another edition of Clippers Talk.