Speaker 1: The countdown is on to fight time.
Speaker 2: This is Big Fight Weekend. Now here is your host? DJ Leaves? Well, well, well, we have reached the weekend of this massive we odd season pay per view card. But right now you can't tell the players without a scorecard. We're ready to try to help with that on the Big Fight Weekend preview. At least I think we know who all is fighting this weekend. Stand by as we do this. I am merely the somewhat capable host TJ Reeves. He is our insider. Dan Rayfield. We launched this and we love the podcast audience. We launched this every time we do this Thursday, usually in the evening Thursday night into Friday, and we're glad that you're with us. And I think I think we have everything solidified. But it's not Friday yet anyway, Dan Rayfield, to have you back. We've got ill fighters. Floyd Schofield is off the card because he's ill. Daniel du was off the card that he's because he's ill. Dan Rayfield's not off the podcast, even though you're a little bit out of the weather as well. Good to have you back. I know you're still fighting u illness yourself, but you're posting you posted here on the.
Speaker 1: Pod hanging in there. Uh. I don't have to fight though, And uh, it's been Uh. I mean I've I've covered a lot of fallouts and a lot of late breaking cards that have changed at the last minute, but I can't say I've seen a card that was this loaded in the first place. Have two major players, you know, in World championship fights drop out, one a challenger won a title holder, and make switches on one on four days notice, one on three days notice. And you know, we'll get into all of it, but it's it's been crazy. I'll tell you what though, even if, even if, for the worst thing could have happened, and let's say both fights actually were hanseled because they couldn't come up with a replacement, and this, of course Stephenson fight was off the show completely, and the Dui and Parker fight was off the show completely. It would still be a hell of a pay per view. And they have managed, with a lot of elbow grease and for good fortune, et cetera, to be able to keep these two bouts on the event and still have a great show.
Speaker 2: And by the way money talks, we know this and when you have money, you can make things happen, and they have been making it happen. All right. Speaking of making it happen, we make it happen here on the podfeed. We thank you the loyal audience. We preview going into the weekend, we recap coming off the weekend. The least you can do is rate us and reviews. Review us, follow follow along, give us the five star review. Those all help.
Speaker 1: A while.
Speaker 2: Let's go. If you enjoy it. By the way, you've been killing it with the interviews. We put back up on the podcast feed the Dmitri Bevil interview earlier this week as he gets ready to fight better BV. In the rematch, we put up the Joseph Parker interview. Got a lot of great insight about fighting DUBI. Unfortunately none of that matters, but you'll hear from Parker on his mindset, the underdog thing, the whole bit. So that's on the pod feed.
Speaker 1: A good amount of that Joe Parker interview was not even related to particular the evolution of where he's been over the last year, the upsets, getting back in position, his new working relationship with Andy Lee and George Lockhart, is nutrition and strength coach. So a lot of good stuff from Joe and other than do.
Speaker 2: What And by the way, if you appreciate this, Ray I might have said this, rate us and review us and say so if you enjoy the content and the coverage with what we do. All right, So let's get into the nuts and bolts. The chronology is that Floyd Schofield was sick earlier this week in Saudi Arabia, so pick it up from there, because there was some debate about whether he could fight or not. It turns out didn't get cleared, didn't want to try it while he's sick. I can't blame him for that. I mean, if the.
Speaker 1: Flu that he didn't have a choice, DJ I understand.
Speaker 2: I understand. But if this is no joke when you're talking about going into the ring to get ready to fight, if you're not healthy, if you're ill, they shouldn't let him fight. I'm with you. So take me, take me through that and how we ended up with the opponent we ended up with for Shakur, because that was the first casualty this way.
Speaker 1: All right, So putting aside all the nonsensical conspiracies by Floyd Scofield's lunatic father about how cha course teams set them up and rubbed cream on them because of messuse got involved, the complete idiocy.
Speaker 2: I had not heard that one, but I keep going. Yeah, put it aside.
Speaker 1: Okay, a fighter going overseas and in flu season or you know, in the season where this happens, coming down with an illness, whether it's a cold or it is the actual flu, or it's COVID or it's something else, is not entirely unusual. Bottom line is floyd' Scholfield would not have traveled thousands and thousands of miles away for a payday that is probably tenfold of what he's ever made, uh to fight for a world championship on a big cart and if fight that he has called for for a while and really really went to the mat to get it. Actually in a situation where the folks at Golden Boy, which are his promoter, did not want to do the fight, but he basically talked them into it. So anybody thinks that the kid pulled out just because he was somehow afraid of the fight or something is just a fucking idiot. But besides that, so Tuesday night he falls ill. I don't know the exact situation some of sixers, and maybe it was a weight making scenario. I haven't heard that particular. The bottom line is.
Speaker 2: That he was not he was in the hospital.
Speaker 1: The hospital.
Speaker 2: He was in the hospital.
Speaker 1: So once that happened and he is released, I guess he's doing okay. But here's the point though, Even if all that's the case, even if you still wanted to fight, and even if it was feeling better the end of the day, the regulators do their job. The British Boxing Board of Control regulates the fights in Saudi Arabia these reat season cards. The only exceptions have been the Uzik Fury fights, where they brought in another regulation outfit to do the main events because Zusig didn't want the Britts regulating a fight against the Brett understandable, but the British Boxing Board of Control was regulating this fight and they were like, no, you're out. That's it. They are the ones that pulled the plug on the fight. They had. Floyd Schofield had no choice even if he wanted to continue to go through with it, so he was out now. As soon as that happened, there was a, you know, a mad dash to get a new opponent. And you have a lot of promoters involving these shows, whether it's Frank Warrens folks, there's Toppering people involve. There's obviously Mattroom Boxing, there's gold Star, there's Sella, There's all these different entities, Golden Boy, There's a bunch of different people. So they had all their people, like you, rolling up their sleeves trying to get this work that. As it turned out, this was the opponent by all accounts, that Turkey Alshic picked to try to see if he was available to do the fight. And it's a fighter named Josh Padley. And you may remember the name Josh Padley because on a card last fall, I believe it was on the big card that took place at Wimbley Stadium when in September when he knocked out Anthony Joshua. On that undercard, you had Mark Chamberlain, who is Turkey's favorite fighter, the lightweight up and comer contender, however you want to describe him, and he was defeated in that particular fight in an upset and Padley was the one that beat him. Padley is undefeated, he's now fifteen to zero. He looked you know, pretty good. He was an underdog against Mark Chamberlain. He won a pretty clear decision, knocked him down in the fight, and he hasn't fought since that fight. And as it turns out, and you know, say what you want about the merit of the WBC rankings, that's a conversation for another day. But here's the fact. Before all this stuff happened, it just turned out that Josh Padley was one slot ahead of Floyd Schofield in the WBC rankings. One guy was twelfth, one guy was thirteen. So if according to the WBC who approved to prove this fight, they're actually doing a title defense for Shakhor against a contender rated higher than the original opponents. So take that for what it's worth. You know, I think both of the fights were mismatches. That's my opinion that of all the great fights on this show, that was the one that was the widest. And but all credit to Chamberlain. He was in shape, he was you know, I guess close to wait.
Speaker 2: Credit to Padley, Yes, I know who you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Padly, My bad, my bet Padley for him and his team willing to do the fight on such short notice. Obviously, being well compensated, and you know, life changing money for a basically, what is a guy who's been a club fighter other than the victor against Chamberlain, and he's you know, he's gonna roll the dice. He has nothing to lose because even if he loses a twelve round decision, or if even he gets stopped, you know, he he went in there on such short notice. He made a big amount of money. He got in the good graces of everybody involved with the show, match room certainly, and Turkey obviously, and and uh, you know again, you're fighting shirt course Steven Stalls.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You might get stopped, but you're probably not going to get beat up because Shakur's game is about, you know, the sweet science of box.
Speaker 2: And here's the reality with what you're saying. I'm sure his own people prevailed upon him and others. You may never get another opportunity like this. There's no guarantees. We hope you will to make this kind of money, be on this kind of a van against this kind of fighter. You're in shape, you're on weight. And by the way, rayphel that's a whole nother debacle. Is everybody gonna make weight on Friday. That's a Friday problem. That's a Friday problem. But allegedly Padley is on weight right, has been in training and now he's the new opponent for Shakour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess they were. They were having conversations about him, and not that he would be in training camp already for this fight, but there was conversations where he may have been the next opponent to face Dalton Smith from the UK and undefeated contender who's now in the number one position I believe at one hundred and forty pounds. And so look, Padley got on the plane on Tuesday night, he got to Rehid in time to be at their press conference on Wednesday, and he basically said, this is what every boxer gets in the in the sport for. Is you want to you know, be in these world title fights, beyond these big cards, make good money, and you know basically say, and I'm getting to do all three of these things at once. So when you're at whatever level you're at in boxing, you can always go in the ring and lose to nobody for no money. So not that that's his mindset that he's gonna lose, but if you're going to do it, you might as well do it against the best opponent on the biggest stage, for the biggest money, and Padley's taking advantage of the of a situation. It's unfortunate for Scofield. Hopefully, you know, he'll get another opportunity somewhere along the line, or you know, step up and fight another contender and continue his career. He seems like he's gonna be okay in terms of his health, but not enough to be in the ring on Saturday. So Padley gets the opportunity of a lifetime. It would be a gargantuan I mean, an upset of epic proportions if he was able to bump off h Course, Stevenson, who you know, for his perspective, is like, look, I'm fighting Schofield, I'm fighting Padley, I've been training, I'm ready to fight whoever it is in the ring. He made the analogy during the press cover ince that it's sort of like when you're in an amateur tournament and you don't even know you're going to fight just before they do the draw. So he was thinking about it from those from that point of view. Again, Shakur was a decorated amateur who went in a million tournaments and won a silver medal in the Olympics, so that the notion that he's fighting a guy who he didn't know about until right up till them was fight time as not an alien concept for guys who are top amateurs.
Speaker 2: And clearly he's heavily favored, he's very talented. But Shakur also off of a hand injury as well in this, so we'll see how he looks. We'll see how he looks. And again they had to throw this together, as we like to say, but wait, there's more work. So now we rolled into Thursday and the reports began to surface Thursday morning US time, middle of the day UK time that Daniel Dubois was suddenly ill and this is the day that they're going to do the press conferences with the fighters, etc. In Riad And then it became a debate, Okay, how ill is he? Can he go on? And Frank Warren even said at a news conference, We're not sure yet that was night time, saudy time, but earlier in the day. Now you and I are taping this in the evening on Thursday. What ended up happening is same scenario. Right the the British Boxing Board of Control saying with their doctor he's sick, he can't fight.
Speaker 1: It was not a British from I understand. This was not the British board that said that. They probably would have but regardless, he was ill and could was not going to fight. I mean, end of story. I mean, you're not gonna again. He's not looking to duck out of the fight. He took the fight. Did the promotion train you know, I'm not I don't believe there's anything nefarious whatsoever. I mean, a guy's travel different weather, different food, different schedule, time zones are mixed up, you know, and it just lowers your immunes, I guess. And so you know, he got sick. It's not unusual and so he's not going to fight now again. Like I said about what happened with Shakor and Padley, you have a lot of boxing knowledgeable people involved in this business who've made matches a million times, promotional folks and matchmakers and managers and uh, and a lot of money that can be used to grease the wheels to get a guy in the fight. So uh, they were gonna clearly keep Parker on the show if they could come up with a suitable replacement opponent. Uh. You know, it's unfortunate for DUIs coming off such a huge victory against Joshua, this was a great opportunity to follow up on and put yet another big win in his in his uh, you know, in his uh, in his ledger. Remember he had won three in a row Jarrell Miller Argovich to win the interim title, upgraded then knocked out Joshua in the first offense spectacularly.
Speaker 2: And we need to say this massive interest in this fight, obviously in the UK, massive interest in Europe and in the CAR. But there was gonna be massive interest in this bout because of Dubois and the and the angle of him being the the IBF heavyweight champion and.
Speaker 1: Parker, and Parker is a well known fighter to the British crowd also because most of his big fights have been in Britain, whether it was against his unification against Joshua that he lost or obviously he lost also to UH, to Joe Joyce, but he's also fought fights in the UK in one fights and he's also on a great run. He's won five fights in a row, including back to back fights in Riad where he took down Deontay Wilder Zilly Zang. So he's been red hot also. We talked about that on our interview in the podcast that was on the previous episode. So they were looking for a new opponent for him. Now, there was a bunch of names that came up as the possibility that he might fight, and you know that always happens. You know guys who are volunteering, your guys who they're thinking maybe get in the fight. So there was a couple of guys they mentioned that are supposed to fight on the boxer card on April fifth. One is Lawrence o'koley, who is new to the heavyweight division although he had a title at bridgerweight and at light heavyweight I mean, I'm sorry at cruiserweight. Cruiserweight. David Atdlier another Britt who'd been on Riat season cards in the past, who also was scheduled for a boxer card on April fifth. The other name that had come up was a fighter named marod Aliev who was a French fighter, a southba who was a twenty twenty Olympian. In the end, you had Billy Nelson, who was the manager and trainer of the big Man Martin Bacoley, who was posted on social media. Hey, you know, we told our promoter, which is also a boxer, that talked to the folks in Saudi Arabia and Martin Bucoley is ready and willing and able to fight. So so Parker, Uh, no problem. And you know, within a couple hours of that of that post, Marin Bacoley had accepted the fight and got the offer, and he's on his way to Saudi Arabia probably as we're or soon to be on his way to Saudi Arabia on three days. Notice, a very dangerous fight for both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I agree. So before we get into the actual matchup here, the one thing I considered, and you and I were not in communication on Thursday, but I was communicating with Ricky Carroll, who does a great job right now as our lead writer on Big Fight Weekend dot com, and I said, what are you hearing? Because he was checking with some different people. Could they make could they make the fight with a Jeet Kaba Yell more so than Jang because Parker had beaten Jang. So Kaba Yell and Jang are on the undercard. To me, again, it's boxing, but it seemed kind of interesting. Could they accommodate Jang, pay him and let Kaba Yell fight Parker because they're already there.
Speaker 1: There would be absolutely no reason to break up the Jang and Caveall fight, especially given that it was already situated for the Dumble BBC interim title. Zero chance that was going down.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying. I'm just saying because he was already there, the fact that that you could make it.
Speaker 1: All you're doing is ruining one fight to make another fight. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: But the other thing is that Caaba Yelle, supposedly on the trajectory, would have a legitimate chance here. Jang is kind of the opponent. I was just theorizing it. I'm not saying how realistic it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know if i'd say Jang is the opponent. I think a lot of people think Jangs and knock Cabby Yell out.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll find out. We'll find out, and then we'll.
Speaker 1: Know they weren't going to break apart that fight to make another. But they got Bacoli in the fight. Now, Bacoley hadn't fought since the Zip then since the August fight against Jared Anderson, when he detonated him and destroyed him and looked right. And he's had trouble getting fights, and so this is an incredible opportunity for him. The one great thing when you're a heavyweight taking a fight on Charno's, you're gotta worry about making weight. Whatever Marley is is it?
Speaker 2: Is it the skeptic in me that's wondering is all of this still gonna work out? Because Baccoli's got to get there as we're taping this. He's got to clear the medicals and all of that, because again, he's not a fighter that has been in Saudi Arabia where they're checking him out for the last two or three days. At least Badley had a couple of extra days notice on that.
Speaker 1: Well, he had one extra day notice.
Speaker 2: Well it was yeah, Tuesday, Wednesday. But any in any in any event, am I am I being too skeptical?
Speaker 1: Well, anything, anything could happen. I mean, who the heck knows. But the fact that you found an opponent where weight's got an issue, I have to imagine the medical is not an issue. First of all, he's fought in Saudi Arabia in the past. He's a fighter that fights out of Scotland, so he's under the under the jurisdiction of the British Boxing Board of Control. By all accounts, he's you know, he's not injured. He came off a great win in August, so I don't As long as he can get his rear end, you know, to the airport and get on the plane and make it to Saudi Arabia, I don't see why there is a problem. And from Joseph Parker's perspective, in listening to Joseph at the press conference, you know, wished good good health to Daniel Dubois, but he said I'll be ready for Saturday. And his manager, Spencer Brown, who's involved with the event, and Saudi ready, He's like, look, there's gonna be a fight on Saturday, and Joe's ready, willing abele and he is a throwback fighter. Him and I talked about on the podcast about his willingness to just fight whoever. So there might be only one fighter in boxing willing to take on Martin Bucoley on three days notice, and it happens to be Joseph Parker. Not a lot of guys would be willing to do that. So that is a this is a fight that if they had announced this when they kicked off the entire show, people would have said, oh shit, that's a good fight, Bocoli against Parker. Now, as it turns out, not that this is a reason, not that this is why it's happening. When Parker was fighting Duboi, it was for Dubai's IBF title, and it had already been predetermined in an agreement with the WBO and Parker's team. Parker, remember when he beat Jang, he won the interim WBO title. Now, the WBO is not big into interim titles. They try to get rid of them as quickly as possible. They're usually only in a in a particular situation, mostly injury, but there their rules do not permit, and they're and they're very steadfast about this to have an interim champion fight another champion from another organization and somehow unify a full title with an interim titles, because it's just fucking stupid. So it was already known that once the bell rang, Parker's interim title of the WBO would be vacated. But because the IBF title is not at stake and he still is, the WBO interim champion and McCauley is a bona fide legit contender. My back and forth earlier today with Gustabo Olaveri, who was the president of the WBO, because I asked them out, he says, yeah, we'll allow that fight, So this will be sanctioned instead of being an IBF heavyweight title fight, it will be in fact for Joseph Parker's interim WBO title. For whatever that's worth, but there is, I'll tell you what it's worth. That's for sure.
Speaker 2: What it's worth is whoever wins this fight, If if Alexander Usik is not willing to fight them and fairly soon later this year. This is me saying this, they could be elevated as the full champion. That's the whole idea, that's the whole reason why they did the interim And the point I don't.
Speaker 1: Know about later this year. Remember when you're a unified champion. The way that the way that Usik is they do a rotation system and so the WBO my recollection is not the next step in line. But the point is there's there's some added stakes because of it. So it's a great opportunity for Bacoli Parker is defending that title instead of fighting for the other title. It just an added element to the fight, you know. And even if there wasn't around, they probably still would have made the match. And what happened, I'm just saying it just adds to it with a little bit of the just a different organization.
Speaker 2: And and you and I aren't agreement. Dangerous fight here for pugurely dangerous with with Bocoli, asked jar At, Anderson asked Tony Yoka who he beat? You love my phrase pillar to post when they fought a couple of years ago as well.
Speaker 1: So I just don't I just don't know what Bocoli's situation is in terms of in the gym, like in fighting shape, because he doesn't hate to add anything scheduled and sometimes with Martin, the thing that that can be an issue is the conditioning. Is the weight. Parker's been in camp for you know, nine or ten weeks, so he should be, you know, ready to roll. It is a big change of the style of opponent. I mean, Duboi is a smaller, shorter, quicker, uh problem, heavier puncher than Bacoli, who is a much more taller, wider, more lumbering but powerful. It's a different kind of animal South. He's still in there with a big man trying to take your head.
Speaker 2: Off and a big left. And credit again to Parker for being willing to do all of this. So first time I'll mention we'll handicap these fights on the bet Us Boxing Show at one Eastern time Friday. I'm interested in your handicap of Parker and Bocoli, so to our knowledge, can I qualify it one more time? That's it on the moving and shaking on this read season card. Now, if something else has happened overnight, God help us overnight Thursday into Friday morning, you and I will be talking about it on the bet Us Boxing Show. But for now, this is all the musical chairs that we have at the moment. Is these two fights, we think as we put the pod to bed, all right, So that leads us back to the top, which is Archer better BV and Dmitri Bvol. The rematch again here from Bevol on the hod Feed a couple of episodes ago, if you missed it, talking with Dan about this rematch, and this is kind of rare that it's an immediate rematch, like four months later. We've seen some immediate rematches, like the Usik Thury rematch was within the same year, about six months apart, but only four months later the two Russians are fighting again. Dan, what are your thoughts as we're now within the forty eight hour window of having that rematch undisputed light heavyweight title fight.
Speaker 1: Besides all the craziness of what's been going on with some of these undercard fights, you know, with Dui and the Shakurt fights, I mean, this is still the main event. This is still the main attraction. This is still the one for all the marbles. This is still a rematch of what was an extraordinarily close fight in October, a fight that I personally scored one fourteen to one fourteen. It was a very close call in favor of Arthur Better bv. I mean, it really could have gone either way. I think even if you're a supporter of the other fighter, you acknowledge that it was a super close fight. It was a majority decision. One judge did have it one fourteen to one, fourteen one with seven to five fifteen, one to thirteen. One was eight four one sixteen one twelve. Some people kind of lost their mind like not going to be eight to far. It was really close fight. Yeah, But if there's like a bunch of four or five close rounds in the fight and he just happened to take it off to the other guy eight four in a fight like that, it doesn't doesn't is not indicative that it's a wide fight, because each of those rounds were close, like literally TJ in this fight, basically all twelve rounds were close, competitive and better beev to the view of most people, including the judges, closed much stronger, and so whatever he needed to do, he got the benefit because over the last three rounds he basically was that was what provided him with the margin to be the winner of the fight. So Beevol wants to as he said a million times leading up to the fight, including in the interview your referenced on the pod a couple episodes ago, he needs to do more, he needs to throw more punches better. BV probably wants to get off to a little bit of a better start. But there's not any tricks here. I mean, these guys are who they are. They're veteran contenders, they're veteran championship level fighters, and there's not a lot that you're gonna switch around in four months. Maybe a wrinkle here, a wrinkle there, But I anticipate, you know, a similarly you know, close and cagey kind of fight. To me, it's about can can better be of land the big bomb that he was not able to land the first time, because we know he's one of the more devastating punchers in boxing. That was the first time he ever went the route in his professional career and knocked out all the opponents. He was the only reigning world title holder that had one hundred percent and has not got ratio. So it's a very fascinating fight. I do not expect it to be some kind of great action fight, but I do expect it to be a competitive, cagey, interesting, tension filled kind of fight where you really have to pay attention. If you're scoring the fight, you got to really really pay close attention because every little thing can count and make a difference. And you know, again, when they fought the first time around, there hadn't been an undisputed light heavyweight champ in twenty five years. Since nineteen ninety nine when Roy Jones did it. There had never been an undisputed champion since there's been a four belt era and better be A was able to do it, but Bibo wasn't that much behind. It was like, no, I thought even maybe he's a half step in one round. I mean whatever, but it's a just a it's a it's a really good matchup between two top ten caliber pound for pound fighters.
Speaker 2: Has he learned from fight one? We're about to find out what can he do differently again? You and I are going to handicap his high stakes.
Speaker 1: Yes, by the way, yeah, Turkey al chic back, you know, back after David Benavite's defeated David Morrell in the light heavyweight division, invited David to come and be as guests, And from my understanding and what I am told that David will be on a plane or is on a plane headed to Saudi Arabia to be ringside. Because he is as the as the bizarrely unified WBA Regular champion WBC Interim champion, he is the mandatory in two organizations because a WBC has already said you're the mandatory at light heavyweight by virtue of being the regular champion, you're automatically the editor in the WBA. And on top of that, he's the biggest name in the division. Uh and some people would consider might bigger, maybe not the champion, but in terms of the name value, at least in this side of the world, in terms of the money he generates. You know, David Benavides is is a significant fighter in the division, probably the biggest name that there is, frankly, and so he's right there in line potentially to fight the winner as the mandatory perhaps later this year, be it in Saudi Arabia, perhaps on a Saudi card that they may, you know, do with some more events here in the United States. But I don't care who the winner of the main event is, whether it's Bibel or Better be It. You can't tell me you're not interested in seeing that victor take on David Benabez A fascinating, really interesting fight.
Speaker 2: Amen, And so let's see what happened. Lots of options, lots of options, including the name Canelo Alvarez down the road could be an option too against the undisputed winner here. So that's what's it's taken on. Obviously, Bible has a win over Canelo.
Speaker 1: I will tell you right now there's probably zero chance that Canelo will fight Better be It.
Speaker 2: So that if he is the winner, if Bevil is the winner, who.
Speaker 1: Knows the one fight.
Speaker 2: Of course? Of course, all right, so we have that. By the way, I need to mention because I was derelict at the beginning because of all the chaos with the fighters moving around. Lamont Roach is on the pod with you with Gervante Davis. We're going to play that interview here in a few minutes as you spoke with him as his battle with Gervonte Davis on pay per view is next Saturday, March the first, So you'll hear from Lamont Roach uh in a little bit here on the pipe. We just got we have so much on this ri odd card. We got to keep going Dan Rayfield, all right, So now we move down the card, and I really believe for me, this is the fight that I'm looking the most forward to. That is Hams of Sharaz going for the WBC middleweight title with Carlos a Damas, a Damas who is a Dominican fighter, a hard body puncher. There's there's a lot of intrigue Sharaz with the size, with the height and the reach. I'm very intrigued by this fight coming on Saturday. Give me a little more in a preview.
Speaker 1: About well, Schra's is probably the hottest guy in the division right now. He is undefeated. He's been closely associated with these read Season cards and made him a Read Season ambassador. You know, he's the house guy even though he's not the champion, and you can take it to the bank that that's the guy that Turkey wants to see win the fight. And he's coming off some worthwhile victories that put him in a position that he is a legitimate contender to be fighting for now. He is the WBC's mandatory challenger, and you know he is undefeated. But his run where he started really open eyes and make people believers and take serious notice, goes back to February of twenty twenty four. Had a big year in twenty twenty four. He won three fights. He won all them by knockout. He looked really good in all three fights. The first one was back in February where he had a first round knockout against Leam Williams. Now, Allan Williams might have been a little bit past his best days, but no one had ever done that to Liam Williams, who's been a you know, was a good contender for several years, so that was a first round destruction. Then in a fight where there was a lot of sentiment on both sides to be quite honest, he was taken on remember the five on five card that took place in June. He was on Team Queensberry. He was matched up with the matchroom fighter, Austin m. O. Williams, the undefeated American fighter, and it was a good fight and Hams of Shiraz was bigger, longer, and obviously he's stronger, and he took Williams out in an eleventh round knockout. It was a very big win for him. And because he was the captain of the team of Team Queensberry, because he got the knock out, he got the extra point. Then as people remember Frank Warren's team you know, steamrolled and won by shutout against Eddie Hernstein. But he got the extra point as the captain. Anyway, that was a very impressive victory. Then he returned in September. He also fought on the Wembley card when Joshua and d had their fight. He fought on that undercard. He's from England, so he's front of the home crowd and he knocked out a fellow britt Tyler Denny. He won the European Middleway title very impressively in the second round. Like just you know, I'm not saying I thought he was going to lose that fight. I fought for sure he would win that fight, but I actually thought that that Denny would hang in there for a little while, and he just made it, you know, like a blitz and he was done for her. And so now he has this opportunity against Carlos Damas, who is taking on his mandatory, is getting his biggest payday traveling. Look, Adamas has been a good fighter for a while but does not have the name recognition, hasn't achieved the notoriety, but he's got a couple of solid wins. You know, if you go back pre championship, you know he had defeated like for example, in a close decision, he beat Sergei debrian Chenko, who lost to the very best fighters out there. Remember when Charlot went the distance when with Juan Messias Montielle, Well it was a Damas who blew him away in three rounds. Didn't have to go to the distance with the guy that was a you know, a domination for that fight, and then he beat the former Juor Middleway title holder Julian Williams, who had moved up and knocked him out in the ninth round. That was on Showtime if you remember, back in twenty twenty three, and then he didn't really look good in this particular fight, but he still won pretty handily in terms of the scoring. He took on Terrell Gachet back in June. That was on the same card that was the doubleheader where he had Tank Davis against Frank Martin and benavide Is against Alexander Votek. One of the other pay per view fights that night was a Domis dettending the Tunnle. She hasn't fought into June, and like a lot of these guys, there's good money and he's taken a show on the road to put onto this fight. Now, I'm not sure that he can compete in the sense of just the punching power that Shiraz has, the freshness that Charaz has, and also Charaz is like six foot three, which is giant from midway. Now, it's not like Adamis is short. He's five to eleven. That's pretty decent size for one hundred and sixty pounder, not like a small guy. But I think he's gonna be outgunned just in terms of the physical attributes height, breach, power, speed. It's a it's uphill battle, it seems to me, all right.
Speaker 2: So two other things though, too. A Damas was completely screwed over by the WBC not mandating that Jermal Charlo fight him or will strip you. And they waited and he had to wait, and he waited and waited and waited trying to get the Charlot fight and that never happened. So that's the reason why he hasn't been very active, as you mentioned, two fights in two years, headed into this February showdown, and I like him as a body puncher. When you watch him fight, I don't know if he's going to get in the kitchen as we like to say, and get after Shiraz, But stay tuned. I'm very intrigued by this fight. And you and I sound like we might be on opposite sides of the aisle on the bet Us show.
Speaker 1: Maybe if you're tuning in, promise, if you're five eleven and you're fighting a six to three guy and you got inside that height disadvantage, you should be going after the body, especially if it's one of your better attributes.
Speaker 2: You got it. We got to see if that will happen, all right, But like we like to say, how much would you pay now for the GINSU State Knives nineteen ninety five twenty nine ninety five? My lord Rayfield, there's still more and I think you I won't speak for you, but you've spoken two or three times about how excited and intrigued you are by this next one. Is this may be your favorite fight that's not the main event. Virgil Orti here and madram Off for the interim WBC Junior middleweight title. What about that fight that is best down on this card? But it's still intriguing.
Speaker 1: No, it's a really good fight. I like this fight a lot. I didn't rank it number two behind the main event. I mean I actually have a piece on my substack prior to the postponement or cancelation if you will, of Parker and Dui. That was actually my second favorite fight on the show. But I act and go read that where I rank all seven fights and give sort of my take on it. But in terms of a virgual artis imagium off, there's nothing not to like about this. Two prime guys, two guys that are good punchers, two guys that can box, but also can definitely stand in there and fight. You know. Virginal Artis went the distance for the first time in his career back in the summer, coming off one of the Fight of the Year contenders when he had that incredible brawl against Sara Boachuk. He got off the deck two times, ended up winning a winning a majority decision. He ended up because of the decision, he won the interim WBC one hundred and fifty four pounds title from Boachuk. Now, remember Boachuk and Majimov were supposed to fight each other on the Fury and Usk undercart, and then when that fight was made soon after it was Magimov also signing to fight virgial Artis, and you and I both and not just us, but basically everybody with the brain was like, very no way, He's fighting Boachuk and what everybody figures is a tough fight on December twenty first, and then going to be back in the ring on February twenty second against Virgil Ortiz. And sure enough, whether by a design or it was legit, whatever the case, may be they pulled him. Bat claimed the had bronchitis and he couldn't go through, so he did not fight in December, and Boachuk fought and defeated another opponent, and the Ortiz fight is now happening, and Majmov is in a bigger profile fight, and Majamov is coming off not as exciting of a fight as what Virgil Ortiz had done against a good opponent. But he also lost his world title. But he gave Terrence Crawford, arguably TJ the toughest fight that Crawford has had in his career. That was the main event when they did the read season. Folks put on the event in Los Angeles back in August. He gave Crawford all he could handle. Is a really close fight. I mean, it wasn't a great fight, but it was a very competitive and I can understand why there were supporters Imaginemub that thought maybe he just did enough to win the fight. So he comes off the loss, but by the loss, he raised his stock because you know, he gave one of the best fighters in boxing such a really tough and good fight. And Ortiz, you know, we know what he's about, so I think this fight style wise, stakes wise, where they are in their careers, they're you know what they've brought to the table in their last couple of bouts, Like this is like a can't miss kind of fight.
Speaker 2: I love this matchup all right, so we're looking forward to that one at one hundred and fifty four pounds. By the way, good time for us to mention that our friends at PPV dot com wants you to know that if you want to see this re odd season massive pay per views Saturday afternoon US time, adjust your time zone accordingly. Is it breakfast? Is it bread? With the Saudi pay per view? It may very well be get it With PPV dot Com, No long term subscription required. Utilize their service. It's a one off purchase and you get excellent HD and even four K quality video right from the riodd season pay per view that's being done. So again, they're sponsors here of us, and we want to let everybody know use PPV dot com for the one off purchase. Dan Raypaiel what else.
Speaker 1: The price on this pay per view? I'm not trying to like be a salesman, but I'm just being real. We see so many pay per views fifty sixty, sixty five, seventy seventy five, eighty eighty five dollars for some of these events. And you know, you buy them if you want whatever. That's cool, and I buy them all, no problem. But here's the point, though, for this magnitude of a show, for the amount of great fights that are on it, they have a price point. You have to go back basically to the advent of pay perview in like the nineteen nineties to find something this cheap, especially with this quality. You know what the price in at least in the United States, and anyway, the suggested price for this event is twenty five ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: That is cheap that if you're if you are, if you are going to steal it for that cheap, then you should go fuck yourself. Like I don't steal pay per view, but I get even though I don't approve and I don't dig it, if it's an eighty dollars pay per view, you're maybe stealing the signal, Like I kind of get it because that to me sometimes is a little bit too much what it should be at twenty six dollars, be spending that on like a you know, a pizza and a case of beer or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, and keep in mind the Turkey al Chic has done this before with a couple of the previous pay per views last year in saying, I believe it was the Joshua Dubois pay per view in September that especially for the American audience, we're not going to make this fifty nine ninety ninety nine because people aren't going to buy it in the United States in the middle of the afternoon.
Speaker 1: For so it's what I don't want to think on their part by doing it at twenty six dollars, I don't think they're making up for it in volume. It's not because the card's not good, it's great. I just think that American audiences are not used to purchasing a pay per view that starts like the pre shows at like ten thirty in the morning. The main event, you know, the first fight's like eleven am. Main event probably around you know, six o'clock or thereabouts. It's a long day of fights. But the point is, if you are interested in boxing, if you are a fan, you can't possibly go wrong at twenty six dollars. And just again, I wish they were paying me extra to say that. But I'm just being real and leave me. If it was a shitty card and it was, we would over price.
Speaker 2: We would say it, and we do say it. We have said why. I mean, you can definitely question why was Benavite's morell an eighty dollars pay per view? I mean that that, I mean compared to this, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: But what you're getting for.
Speaker 2: The money, what you're getting for the money.
Speaker 1: The eighty dollars Benavide' is morel pay per view based on Benevite's name, based on the level of promotion that PBC did in America comp air to what the Saudis do, which is next to zero, and you combine it with the normal start time that we're used to here in North America, and even at eighty dollars the Benavidia's pay per view, I guarantee you probably gonna probably did I note, well, we don't know what the number is yet from the fight on Saturday, but I can guarantee you when it's all said and done, Benavidie's morrel will have done way more in terms of buys than.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying. I'm not suggesting which one's gonna get purchased more. I'm just saying for the boxing fan, you get fatigued in the wallet and the economy is the economy when you keep hearing eighty dollars eighty four dollars. And by the way, the read card in Los Angeles, wasn't that a ninety dollars pay per view with Terrence Crawford in the main event? I believe it was like eighty or ninety dollars, same kind of thing. So remember this one. This one is more affordably priced and we like it for that. And use our friends at PPV dot com for the one off. You don't need any long term subscription commitment from any other service, just use them. They are proud sponsors of ours on the Big Fight weekend in the Fight for Each to night podcast feed here. We love that about them, beautiful stuff. I promise we're getting to Lamont roach and just a Rayphiel again. You're not going to be able to recap all of this, uh. I don't think any in one podeline with all that we have. All right, So we mentioned Jang and Caba Yell, all right, So I'm intrigued with Cabby Yell against a Jang that obviously pulverized Joe Joyce and demolished Deontay Wilder. Yes, Joseph Parker beat him. Give me a little more on the intrigue here, Jang Older, Bigger, South, Paul, give me a little more on this. And it's a huge moment for Cabby Yell to take it, to take the step against a reputable fighter.
Speaker 1: Well big Bang. His whole career can be encapsulated in his last what five fights, since he really stepped up, because for most of his career he fought nothing but drek and there was a lot of potential And I remember talking to different people involved with his career telling me how great the guy was, and my response was, okay, fine, is he going to fight somebody that's got to, you know, takes a breath or just going to keep fighting one corpse after the other. So in twenty twenty two, he fought Phillip Pergovic, who was undefeated on the rise, and he lost the unanimous decision, but he did score a knockdown in that fight against Hergovic, and it was a very close fight and it was competitive. A lot of people thought that Jang may have won, so okay, fine. Now he comes back after that, and even if you thought he lost and you're sort of not so sure, what is all about. Remember at that time, Joe Joyce was undefeated, was red hot pop contender, known for an iron chin, known for a great power, his huge size, his amateur background. And what happened. Joe Joyce knocked him out not once but twice, and did so in fairly dominating fashion. Took him out in the sixth round in the first fight, knocked him out in the third round in the second fight. That was his two fights in the calendar year twenty twenty three. So with those two victories, now he's on top of the world. Basically, you know, very highly regarded guy, and he's got big things in front of me. He had won the WBO's interim title in the first fight against Joe Joyce, and then he took a very close majority decision loss to Parker that cast him that intern belt. But if there was a silver lining, he scored two knockdowns against Joseph Parker, he still lost the decision, and it was that kind of fight where you could see Joe Parker getting off the floor two times but still doing enough in the other rounds to win the decision. And then he came back off that loss and as you mentioned, pulverized in his spectacular knockout and basically finished off Deontay Wilder spectacularly. That was last June in the fifth round, and so this will be his first fight since. Now Cabiel is undefeated, your boy from Germany twenty five and oh was seventeen knockouts, and he's a guy that has really made a career in Riad thanks to read season cards, because his last two fights have been the so called big fights he's had. Before that, he was kind of doing his thing on the smaller cards in Germany and winning, but not against big names. And when he got the opportunity in Riat in December of twenty twenty three, that was the day of reck card, he knocked out then highly regarded favored Arslan Beck Machmandov. Now Mackmandov has proven that he's not that much since, but no one had ever done it to him, and it was Agi Cabiol that took him out in four rounds, very impressively, knocked him down three times, took away his undefeated record, and that made people open their eyes. Now he came back in May of twenty twenty four in his second fight in Riad against another undefeated fighter. But this guy a more legitimate than macmdou at least in my opinion, A very good technical boxer who could also punch big man Frank Sanchez, Cuban that had also been winning his fights and sometimes frustrating his opponents because he wasn't maybe the most exciting, but a very very skillful boxer, but also with good power and agi. Cabill never waivered, took the fight with no problem, knocked him down twice in the seventh round, and stopped him in the seventh round. That was a very big win for Cabrio and now he goes in this fight with the Zilly Zang would be his biggest win so far. Whatever you think about Macmadu Vin Sanchez, I still think a win even at this point. Again, Jang is a bigger deal than those two fights. But that's a very intriguing fight. You got Jang, a big guy, six foot six, south pop, big bang with the big left hand and uh and you know, and Cabiell is a much smaller guy. He's not six foot six, he's like three four inches shorter. He'll probably be outweighed, you know, by a good thirty pounds maybe more. You know, Jang was like two eighty ish, Cabiel goes around two forty five. Good matchup. And like I said, I don't know why it's the case. For whatever it's worth, they are fighting for the interim WBC title. It's not necessary the champion Azusik, he just fought in December. But that's the WBC doing their thing. But put that aside. This fight and the winner is going to be in a great position within this weight class.
Speaker 2: And and again Kydie Yelle has been a name that's been mentioned a couple of times as a possible opponent for Tyson Fury and for others. Big stage for him here again, I one more and then I promise we're getting to Lamont Roach getting ready to challenge Tank Day and the Dan conversation with him. And that's Joshua Buazzi and Callum Smith WBO interim light heavyweight title fight. Again, the Brits care probably more than we do about this. But in terms of the light heavyweights and the fact that better BV and b BOL is now you know, the full law and undisputed main event this has some intrigue at the light heavyweight level obviously.
Speaker 1: I mean the winner is going to be the WBILL mandatory for the winner of the main event, whether they get that fight in the near future, or they have the weight, or maybe it gets vacated, who knows, but they're going to be in that position or be elevated eventually if in fact the WBO title is vacated. But in the UK, Josh Bazzi against Collen Smith would be the main event any day of the week. There's not even a shadow of a doubt. And unless they change the order at the moment, this is the opening title fight of these seven title fights on the cart. There's a couple of prospect fights beforehand, but in terms of the main twelve rounders.
Speaker 2: In America, if you're having brunch, bacon, eggs and buwatzi, Callum Smith, Yes.
Speaker 1: So this is this is a good fight. I mean, is an Olympian, he's nineteen and o, he's thirteen knockouts. He's kind of coming into his own. He's been on a nice run. He's sally getting a little more active than he had been. He's coming off of a split decision. But a good fun fight against Philly Hutchinson. That was a fight that I think a lot of people have thought could have been a toss up. That was back in September. Before that, he had a great brawl that he won against his good friend Dan Aziz that was, you know, a big deal in the UK. Was for the British and the Commonwealth title, and you know, and he's also defeated guys like Krek Richards, who has been a you know, a good contender for a long time. And now he's taken on Callen Smith, who I still would say his best opponent so far. Callum is a reputable guy. I mean, the guy's thirty and two. He's got two losses. One was a decision to Canelo Alvarez in a super middleweight for two belts at super middleweight, and the other loss was when he got knocked out by Arthur Better BF back end January of twenty twenty four. But other than beevil, who doesn't get knocked out? When they faced Arthur Better VIV he had moved up from super middleweight, he had won a couple of fights. He was Arthur's mandatory. They did that fight, Arthur traveled to Quebec City or rather coun Smith traveled to Quebec City, which is you know, in the province of Quebec, which is where better BM is now based and has lived and trained his entire pro career. So he was the big favorite. But cown Smith was fearless in that fight, you know, despite getting knocked out in losing, It's not like he fought a bad fight, like he was hanging in the fight, even though he didn't win rounds. But it wasn't like a completely one sided devastation until the very end, obviously. So I still think that he's a pretty good fighter. I don't know how much he's got left, but Biwatzi's never fought anybody like him. He has won one fight since then, scored a knockout on an undercard, you know, against just a like a kind of get well type opponent. But this is an intriguing matchup. I feel like this is a this is definitely a fight that most people are overlooking because you know, look, Glatzi and Smith, Neither one of them are these huge personalities, neither one of them has like a scintillating style. They're just really good pros. They do their thing. They can compete at the championship level, and it's the opener of these seven world title fights, but in some ways it's one of the most meaningful fights because of the fact that the winner is in position to challenge the main event winner at some point.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there we go on the preview part of this. Shall we segue to next weekend and March first and probably fights at that as long as to look at your phone real quick. I'm being serious. You don't have an alert that any other of the fighters' names have changed, and we don't have a replacement fighter.
Speaker 1: Good. I think we're good.
Speaker 2: Can we go to bed on Thursday night believing that we're good at least until Friday morning? Stay tuned. So now we move forward to Lamont Roach and Tank Davis. This is coming next weekend, March first, Brooklyn, New York. You don't have to wait for fight week as Roach gets ready to battle Tank Davis and the PBC Prime pay per view. Here we go again with the pay per views here from Lamont Roach right now, including about the regional rivalry with Davis and this big opportunity has hear from him right now?
Speaker 1: Well, it's my pleasure to be joined on our podcast. This week by the WBA Junior Lightweight Champ of the World, Lamont Road Junior. But Lamont, you have a big fight coming up. You're not gonna be fighting in the junior lightweight division. You are moving up to lightweight to challenge the wo WBA champion in the lightweight division, Jervanta Tank Davis, in a pay per view fight from PBC on Prime Video also PPV dot Com, will take place on March first at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn, New York. And welcome you to the show. And I'm good to talk to you. What I'd like to know I from your first Lamon is you know this fight's sort of been There was a lot of rumors maybe what happened, maybe it wouldn't. You were a name that was always sort of like at the top of the Tank list of what might be coming up for him. So could you just recount to me what your initial thoughts were when you actually got offered the fighting. Knew this was a possibility, so.
Speaker 3: When we actually as soon as we got the call, it was like, hell, yeah, honestly, that's about it.
Speaker 4: Like Ruhig is in the car, I think it was me and my dad's in the car on the.
Speaker 3: Way to the airport go back home, and it was like he was just like, you know, changs changes called and he was like, we wanted to fight, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you've never been a guy that's been turning down fight. So that's something I know from having covered your whole career. If you go back to twenty nineteen, amount you had a chance to fight Jamelle Herring back then for the WBO Junior Light White title, your first opportunity or you know, a big prospect. You were undefeated. I believe you were the mandatory challenger at that time for his title, and you know you gave a good fight, but you know, it came up a little bit short, loss the decision, and I just wondered, you know, it took you a little while to get back to the position to fight for another world title. What do you feel like you learned from that first loss? You know, despite it being competitive, uh, the fact that they.
Speaker 3: Aren't going to give me anything, like like you said, it was it was a good fight, It was a good effort, but it just wasn't enough. I know, going into things, especially as an underdog things, I'm gonna you know what I'm saying going to be that they're probably going to be stacked against me, so I just have to I just had to take matters into my own hands and make sure that I give no doubt that I should win, you know, the rest of my bouts going on throughout my career.
Speaker 1: Well you have done that because you have won six fights in a row since that particular fight, and in twenty twenty three, November of twenty twenty three, you got the chance to fight for a title again against Hector Luis Garcia in Las Vegas, and you outpointed him in a close fight. You won the WBA title, and I wondered, Actually, I was thinking, you know guys who you know, they they don't get anything. Like you said, nothing handed to Lamont. Roach, took your time, prospect you know, into main event fights eventually, you know, really worked your way to get that opportunity. Nearly ten years as a professional, from the time you started. Tell WinGen you won the title. What did it feel like to finally get it and know that all that hard work, all that you know, that decade of preparing for that moment, what did that mean to you?
Speaker 3: I mean everything to me, just like you said it was a whole bunch of hard work, a lot of sacrifice, a lot of a lot of faith and just trusting myself, trusting my team and knowing that we'll be will be exactly where we were supposed to be.
Speaker 1: You got a chance in June of last year, June of twenty twenty four, to defend the title for the first time. I know you had spoke about what it would mean to you to have a homecoming fight, to have a world championship fight in Washington, d C. Where you know where you're from originally, and you made that dream come true. You had a very good performance, a knockout victory against the undefeated Fergla McCrory in front of your fans in the district, had a good crowd there. Knocked out in the eighth round, pretty dominating victory. And I wonder, you know, I hear from people they talk about making the dream come true. I talked recently with Keishawn Davis about him and his brothers wanting to have a homecoming fight and that was a dream for them. They finally got to accomplish that, And I asked him this question. I'm curious your response to it as well. How did the reality of having the title fight at home compared to the dream for all those years you had.
Speaker 4: I think it matched up to me. It matched up.
Speaker 3: It was something that I wanted to do, not only for myself, but for everyone that's been fogging me since I started my family, stretching my close family that that aren't able to make it out to La Vegas, you know what I'm saying, all.
Speaker 4: The other states that.
Speaker 3: I fought in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 4: Mexico, like out of the country and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So it was it was very satisfying for me. It was honestly just a dream come true. And you know, getting a dance in front of my home crowd is It's just it.
Speaker 4: Was just fun.
Speaker 1: It was a crazy atmosphere, I mean, that's for sure. But the fight with you and Gervonte was discussed for maybe being you know, at the end of last year, that fight you just mentioned that you defended the title was in June. It didn't happen. There was you know, I didn't really there was issues over the venue. It was gonna be in Houston, a lot of conversations. Ultimately it did not happen, rescheduled, and now it's taking place on March first, As I mentioned, was there any kind of frustration of only having the one fight last year and kind of having to put this off and waiting and waiting and waiting to get it all locked in?
Speaker 3: Uh, just just a little bit, yeah, honestly, because it's not like I'm signed the PBC or obviously not signed the GTD either, So you know what I'm saying, Like, it's not like I'm I'm.
Speaker 4: In the loop as soon as every decision is made. So it is a little.
Speaker 3: Frustrating, But at the end of.
Speaker 4: The day, it is what it is. It's boxing, man.
Speaker 3: You never know what you're going to get, and you know, it's just you just stay on board for the ride for real.
Speaker 4: For real.
Speaker 3: I was always ready, no matter the case, no matter whatever was going on with the venue. Honestly, I just think he wasn't ready. I think they, you know, scheduled it for when they think he'll be prepared for the match, and you know, so we was just fine tuning that all the way up until it was Tyn of Rock and Road.
Speaker 1: One of the things a lot of folks have talked about that is a certainly part of the storyline, if you will of the fight between yourself and Tank is that you fought as amateurs. You knew each other from those days. You're about the same age, you know, separated, but you're you're actually younger than him. You're twenty nine, he is thirty. Can you give me your side of the story, so to say, about the memories of what occurred in the amateurs? How many times did you fight? What happened and how do you remember those times?
Speaker 3: We thought twice they were very close, competitive fights. And you know, the storyline that attests to how close they were is the fact that we fought in the same tournament before twice in the same tournament. You know that doesn't happen. We fought in the regional championship and I lost in Baltimore, and we sent the tape to USA Boxing and they sent me an at large bid because they was like, it was a little this this this outcome is a little iffy, so to say.
Speaker 4: So they sent me to the nationals.
Speaker 3: As well with an at large bid and I was on the other side of the bracket.
Speaker 4: He was on the other side of the bracket. We met up in the championship and he beat me in a close fight. So you know, it is what it is. I think I want a second fight. I think the second fight I did better than the first fight. So it is what it is. And we do got the tape too.
Speaker 3: I think we're probably the only we're probably the only people who do have a tape only put it on YouTube or something.
Speaker 1: I got a while. I'd love to watch that if you did. What year was that, Alamont? What year do you remember? So do you think? I mean, like you said, if they whatever, whether you lost or not, you you believe that they were close and competitive. I guess to the extent that even USA boxing, you know, basically puts you in to uh be on the road to a possible rematch. And I've asked this the fighters when they fought in amateur fights and then they meet up as professionals. Some say it does, some say it doesn't. Do you think there's any bearing at all because you have at least a cursory knowledge of having been in the ring with him. Yes you've evolved, Yes it's a while ago, but you know you've been face to face with them inside the boxing ring. That doesn't mean anything is to go into the professional fight.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Hmmm, maybe not honestly if we honestly speaking, because I'm a totally different fighter.
Speaker 4: Uh, I think he might be.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: But when it comes down to like because it's personal, Like the fight itself is not personal. When I'm talking about the familiar, the familiarity with him is personal. Like I know him fairly better than a lot of I mean, damn there everybody he probably fought, so, uh, you know, we actually have history, like outside of our fights.
Speaker 4: You know, we sparred a few times.
Speaker 3: I know, I just know how he operates from from what I know from from the encounters we have. You know, we've been in We've been in the same spaces since we were about ten, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's a long time. And my dad coached him on.
Speaker 3: The on the National Golden Gloves team to a to a national title, uh, to win the National Golden Gloves.
Speaker 4: So it's just it's it's it's a lot of factors there.
Speaker 1: I do get to feel out, I do you think the feeling there's a lot. You know, you guys may not be best friends, but like you said, you're familiar that there's definitely a healthy respect for peing you guys.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, for sure. It's definitely healthy. Respect cool, Like you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying outside of the outside of the boxing, Like you know what I'm saying outside of the boxing and the.
Speaker 4: Ek me I'm cool.
Speaker 3: I mean like, if you ask him, he'll be He'll tell you that we folks like people.
Speaker 4: So it's cool, all right.
Speaker 1: I got to ask this though. You know you are from Washington, d C. You had a great crowd at your fight in June. He's from Baltimore, that's, you know, just up the road I'm in. I live in that area, so I know the rivalry. Uh you know that. So it felt like this is a DMV fight Capitol One Arena. He had a huge gate there when he fought the guy you beat for the title in Hector Luis Garcia. You had a great crowd for years. DC would be absolutely going crazy Baltimore for this fight. So nothing against Brooklyn, York. Wonderful venue, great fight city obviously, Barclay Center, first class all the way, covered many many fights there. How in the world is this fight not in the DMV Washington d C.
Speaker 3: Tell me about it, I think So, you know, he's a superstar, so I'm pretty sure. Like I'm thinking they're thinking about how the crowd is normally for you know, pro Jamonte and the crowd in DC would definitely be at least fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: And that's just at least so that might be a thing. Probably didn't want me.
Speaker 3: To have a home field advantage or what.
Speaker 4: Application may be. But we could have did it anywhere in the area. Honestly, you know what I'm saying, Like, did you want it in the area? I would have.
Speaker 3: Preferred it, Yeah, But to me, he man, we could fight in Africa for all I can.
Speaker 1: All right, so when you go into the ring, I mean, we all know Gervonte Davis is a tremendous puncher. Doesn't throw a lot of punches, but he's knocked out virtually everybody and he's just been a dominating figure. You are obviously more of a supreme boxer. You didn get a knockout of your last fight, though, so I wonder how do you plan to deal with that punching power?
Speaker 3: Should we bespawn bigger guys and uh we're gonnaspawn guys that.
Speaker 4: Are considered punchers.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, it's a totally different story once you get in there than ay ounces and oh.
Speaker 4: But I've been punching him. I've been pushing the face.
Speaker 3: When I was Now you though, man, like you know what I'm saying, Like if his better think a little more, you know what I'm saying, they might sting a little more.
Speaker 4: They're gonna sting a little more.
Speaker 3: But trust me, I like to think I got a chin, never been down an amateur or professional, never been hurt like to like to the chin or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 4: So it is what it is. Like we ready.
Speaker 3: Then the thing is, we're gonna see how he.
Speaker 4: Reacts when he gets hit by my my punches.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, if you've been getting hits into or not, I'll just say, better at you than me from that standpoint. And I looked over his record just as I was getting ready to talk to you, and I was sort of thinking to myself, Okay, he fought an older, sort of not near his best gamboa who was obviously a great boxer, electrifying talent and a gold medal winner in the Olympics, but he wasn't at his best if you take him out of the equation. I was looking and like, you're still a top press prime guy World champ. Uh. I feel like looking at that record that Lamar Roach junr. Is probably the best pure boxer he'll ever have faced so far in his professional career. What is your what is your take on that that maybe you've got the skills to really cause him some trouble with the boxing ability that you possess.
Speaker 3: That's a fact that everything you just said is definitely a fact.
Speaker 4: It's a fact for sure.
Speaker 3: And they know that though I think they're going to prepare they I think I know they're going to prepare for you know, what I have to bring to the table, Like they know that one hundred for a fact that I'm the best all around like boxer that he's going.
Speaker 4: To be in a ring with.
Speaker 1: When they talk about who they want to see a tank fight, I'll wrap up with this. Uh. They talk about wanting to see a tank against of course Stevenson a unification. They talk about a ta Fimo Lopez fight. There's been a lot of conversation they tried to make recently a Lomachenko fight. He elected to take some time off. Uh. They don't mention Lamar Roach I've hurt people like kind of poo pooh, the fight, say, you know, not much. He's you know, they're upset about the fight. I'm like, why this is a really good boxer against a really good puncher. They got that rivalry from the home you know, from the home region, And so when they don't mention your name and they kind of overlook you and I'm not just kissing your rand because we're doing the interview, I kind of think it's unfair. But why do you think that that is that they look at those other names but they don't include Alamont Roach Junior in that conversation of like a worthy opponent for Tank Davis.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Mainly probably because I'm not known to a lot of casual fans and people who don't really know or are in tune with boxing and it's boxing it in its entirety, you know what I'm saying, Like, some people really just don't know, so that might be a factor. And like I said, he's a megas, he's a megastar as a superstar, and he has been knocking everybody out, so you know what I'm saying, Like, so you know what I'm saying, Like there's pieces that go together that would make people say what they say about the fight or whatever the case may be. I'm not a worthy opponent, but for real, real, I got a lot of profanity for them.
Speaker 4: That's about it, all right.
Speaker 1: So then to the final question that what would a victory mean to you, not only a world title, but knocking off you know, like you said one of the biggest stars in boxing.
Speaker 4: That it's gonna it's gonna mean so much to me.
Speaker 3: But it's definitely gonna uh, it's definitely just gonna be this, that's gonna this is gonna be the start of my my legacy, brun you know, like you know how some people have a run like Roy Jones was champion and so many way claus for teen years. Pak yall moved up from one twelve all the way to fifty four to knock everybody. Like you know what I'm saying, a staple in it. This is my staple right here, because trust me, after this, I'm gonna go banana.
Speaker 4: Trust me.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, that's big words. I'll look forward to seeing if you can back them up on March first at Barclayson and Brooklyn Lamont. Thank you very much for the time.
Speaker 4: I wish you the best luck in the fight, all right, No, doubt appreciate you.
Speaker 2: All right, again that fight coming next weekend for March one fight we coming up and again you got a chance to see him. I'm still can we just say this, I'm still puzzled how they couldn't make this happen at least in the region, the Baltimore Washington region, find a venue because that angle you kept talking about, that angle, the fact that it's in Brooklyn, New York. You could have put it in Las Vegas, you could put it on the Moon. It's not the same as the regional hatred there from Lamont and Broach in Tank Davis. That's me saying that go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, there's definitely not hatred between these two guys. There's a healthy competition, no doubt about it. They did fight twice as amateurs, as you heard Lamont talk about. He did lose. What he said, we're two closest fights and the amateurs, but he competed these guys. They respect each other, I believe. I don't think there's hate. Uh, they're not enemies, but they're competitors. They both want to win. Obviously. I like I like Roach's confidence. I like the fact that he talked about how he's never been really badly hurt or knocked down or or or or you know it rocked in any particular way. As a pro, He's fought some good fighters. I know a lot of people dumped on the fight when it was made. I've never been one to think this was like a bad fight. You know, if you said to me, is it the number one fight that you wanted to see travant to Davis take part in? I would be less than honest if I said yes. But you know, I can't make him fight certain guys. But if you're going for Lamont roach a regional arrival, a world champion in his own right, who's got the balls to do the fight against you, and he's not afraid to do so, and and he's a good boxer, you know, he's the best probably pure boxer that Tank Davis will have face if you take a look at Tank's resume, Like, I think it's an interesting matchup. Uh, And I hope it's a good fight.
Speaker 2: Let's hope. So we'll talk more about it next week, shall we rap with some nostalgia? And Uh, I always when this comes around, I always look forward to talking about just how massive the crowd was It was thirty two years ago today, Dan Rayfield February twentieth, nineteen ninety three that Julio Cesar, Chavez and Greg Haggins set the all time outdoor record for the biggest.
Speaker 1: Boxing outdoor or indoor.
Speaker 2: Yes, from one hundred and well indoor obviously, Rayfaeld, Well, yeah, the biggest one hundred and thirty two thousand people, and as Texas died, I'm still blown away, even with seats on the soccer pitch, on the soccer how did they fit one hundred and thirty two thousand in Well, they did last two hundred and forty seven one thirty Did you do the official Ticke account? One thirty two to forty seven, one hundred and thirty two thousand, two hundred and forty seven people as Texas Stadium, Mexico City, people on top of people, on top of people, and Chavez beat the crap out of Greg Hagins. You did a whole whole lot of crap talking, a whole lot of baiting and boasting about what he was going to do, and Chavez brutally beat him up.
Speaker 1: He made the mistake of saying that Java is that all he had done was fight you want.
Speaker 2: To cab drivers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Java showed him that he was in that same level. By the way, it's an outdoor stadium that's gigantic, and when you put him on the field, you can get even that much more people on it. It was a spectacle of spectacles.
Speaker 2: You have to remember me comprehend aren't They just fought in the Louisian I mean, I'm sorry, they just had the Super Bowl in Louisiana. Super Dome right all right? That building, because I've been in there so many different times, has about seventy five thousand seats. Okay, So for the Ali Speinks fight, they had somewhere in the neighborhood of what sixty sixty five thousand putting seats. I can't fathom fifty thousand more people in that super Dome, That's what well I can put it like, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: The biggest I've ever been in yes sports event ever. I was at Wembley Stadium in twenty seventeen when Vladimir Klitschko fought Anthony Joshua, right, and the attendance for that fight was, like I think it was. They they got it up to the maximum that the that London City officials would allow. I believe it was eighty thousand. Now later they actually expanded it. They gave them a variance for one of the Tyson Fury fights and they got like, what.
Speaker 2: The dun fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't ninety it was still in the eighties, I believe. But the point is that and I just picturing like being in Wembley, if you stuck in lut of thirty thousand, you might not realize.
Speaker 2: Where would you put them? Exactly where would you put another.
Speaker 1: That many people as Texas Stadium is not a technological you know, facility, so if you're watching there, aren't like if you're in Cowboys Stadium, for example, where I've covered many fights. No matter if you're in the last row, you can still have an amazing view because you got the gigantic you know, HD screens that are look like they're sitting on your lap. In Mexico City, you're looking at like little ants like you can't really see.
Speaker 2: But certain technology nineteen ninety three technology, you did not have video boards all that you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Well not that big anyway, even had a video board, not certainly, not like Cowboys stadium, which is indoors, so they can have it hanging from the roof. There's no roof on As Texas Stadium. But I'm making the point here that Chavez was a legendary figure at this point when he's fighting Greg Hagan, he's defending the WBC's junior welterweight title. He is right in his prime. This is the dead prime. This actually may have been his most prime fight of his entire career against Greg Hougan. This is still three fights before he fights Whitaker, when it was number one versus number two for pound for pound supremacy, but he had been This is like about ten or so fights removed from his amazing victory against Meldrek Taylor. He is in his fucking prime. Ye the great Chavez at his greatest, and he absolutely destroyed and pummeled Greg Hougan, who you know, played the villain role absolutely beautifully in this fight. Made even even if you're you know, even he didn't like Chobbs, you probably wanted to see and beat the shed out of Greg Hougan by the time this fight actually took place. And he did that in five rounds and he just absolutely you know, he was up on all three score cards by a shutout, forty thirty five on two cards, forty thirty three on another one of the cards, and he had been knocked down in the fifth round, and when he got up, Chobb has just landed a barrage of shots and the referee finally stopped the fight. I mean, he gave him just a vicious down home. What's the old saying from the great line in HBO's Legendary Knights series when they were doing the episode about Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis, it was about it was Tommy Brooks, who was a trainer had worked with Tyson saying that was such a that was such a beating. You know, even Grandma's lifestyle couldn't clean him up. I mean, that's the kind of beating that he gave to Greg Hougan that night.
Speaker 2: I do remember because it's Steve Albert, Bobby Chez and the fight doctor Ferdy Pacheco on the showtime call, and I think Chez is the one bringing it up. But they're bringing up he's torturing him right now. He could have maybe finished him off in the second or the third round, but he's torturing him in a fourth round and a fifth round vintage Chavez for sure. And I know we talked recently on the pod about him suffering the loss the following year to Frankie Randall. This is after the controversial draw with Pernell Whitaker as well, But on that night, in that setting, it's tough to argue about him being the greatest Mexican champion ever. And for now, for the I mean, I know the Canelo fans want to talk about Canelo in the present day, but good lord, one hundred and thirty two thousand people and the man delivered and put the brutal beat down on the.
Speaker 1: American It's funny you say that he fights Hogen in February of ninety three while we're talking about on the anniversary. Then you mentioned the following year he had the upset loss to Frankie Randall. Do you know that between the Hagen fight and the Randall fight was the separated by eleven months, So if it was today, it might have been his next fight or two fights.
Speaker 2: Later, right, certainly a couple of fights.
Speaker 1: Right after he beat Hagen, he fought a non title fight against Silvio Rojas in Mexico. He defended the title against Terrence Ali, another great performance. Then he had the draw against Pearnel Whittaker. Then he came back in a non title fight in Mexico against Mike Powell. Then he had another pay per view main event against Andy Holligan in December of ninety three, and then he fought Frankie Randall in January. He fought in nineteen ninety three. He fought what one, two, three, four, five, one two, three, four, Six times he fought in January. And this is Chavez as such some prospect. He was like pound for pound number one, fighting six times and in the in in among those six fights, Hogan, Terrence Sali, Peonel Whittaker, Andy Holligan all like legit fights. Holligan was undefeated. Obviously, Parnel Whittaker was a mega fight, and Terrence Ali was a good contender. So it's it's just a different it's a different world from thirty years ago. Say, also, you know when we talk about the big Don King pay per views and a lot of there's been a lot of discussion those because what's going on with the Riot card, how stacked the loaded it is back in its day when when Chavez was with King and he was putting on these big fights with Chavez and also with Mike Tyson. This was one of those cards that at the time was like a big card. They called it the Grand Slam of Boxing because besides a huge fight between Chavez and Hagan in the one hundred and thirty some thousand you know in attendance, they also had Terry Norris defending the WBC one hundred and fifty four pound title against Maurice Blocker, who had been a welterweight champion that was on this undercard. The Great a Zuma Nelson was fighting Gabriel Rouillis, which is another big deal fight in a one hundred and thirty pound world title fight. And they also had Michael Nunn, who at the time was a super middleweight champion who was looked at as a potential heir apparent on the pound for PALMSS. He was on this card in the title defense, so that was considered a big, big pay per view back in those days. And King Giddo was on a regular basis, and obviously Chavez was the event.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 1: And by the way, one hundred thirty two thousand, two hundred and forty seven tickets I have one of those tickets, and I posted my picture but on Twitter earlier today.
Speaker 2: What what's the I'm just curious, what's the section and what's the row? And have you gone to Azteca Stadium to see how high up that's the seat was for a while, I would love that.
Speaker 1: I have been in Mexico on a number of occasions, including the cover boxing, but never in Mexico City. I'm looking at the picture right here, I'm in section A three, row eight seed thirty one.
Speaker 2: A three might imply its lower level, maybe even on the on the pitch.
Speaker 1: I don't know I was in the what's what's what's the word dorata in Mexico mean?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was in in the dorada zone? Whatever that means?
Speaker 2: What the dorata? I gotta I gotta look that up. The dorada in English. I'm just looking real quick. Is itch d u r A d A d o r e d a d o r. So this is why you gotta be careful with certain words and Spanish and the different means golden our Spanish friends, dorata is golden, golden.
Speaker 1: So I was in the zone. I was probably a good see I was in the gold zone.
Speaker 2: Look at that. All right, So you got the ticket, You've got that up on your substack.
Speaker 1: Man, I got on my tweet on your tweet.
Speaker 2: Check it out Twitter x. So we have had a preview with all these fights on the read card. Again, God willing, no changes. We're going to handicap the top four fights off this card on the bet Us Boxing Show at one Eastern time. A reminder, get the pay per view through our friends at PPV dot com. No long term subscription needed, they are sponsors of ours again, a very affordably priced pay per view one off purchase is all you need. Get it through PPV dot com to watch the better B b BL rematch and all of the other title fights that are in and around it for Saturday. With that, my friend, let's regroup for tomorrow and if there are any changes, well any more changes, we'll be talking about it on the bet Us Show at one Easter time. Other than that, Dan Rayfield, I think we're good, my friend, have a good weekend and look forward to all of this.
Speaker 1: Should be a big weekend, looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: There is Dan Rayfield. I'm merely TJ Reeves. Follow her. Subscribe on this podcast feed Apple Spreaker, Spotify. We preview going into the weekend, will recap no matter what happens off the weekend, Sunday Night and Monday with the Fight Preaching Night recap. For now, we're good. Enjoy all the fights. Thank you for being with us on the Big Fight Weekend preview