Speaker 1: Hey everyone, this is Sean, your editor speaking. We hit a little bit of turbulence today while recording the Giant BombCast. Jan's power went out midway through the episode. It caused a few issues with the recording, so some audio had to be pulled from the live stream. This means that the first hour and fifteen minutes or so might sound a little bit funky in places, but I did my best to clean things up and it's smooth sailing after that. So thanks for bearing with us and enjoy the show.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, it's Tuesday, exceptem.
Speaker 3: You're twenty third, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode nine oh nine, and we're all feeling so fun. I am your host, Jan Achoa. Welcome to the christ Air of Video Game podcast.
Speaker 4: That's right, we're all.
Speaker 3: Just a bunch of sinners over here, because I just learned last night we were supposed to get raptured, but yet here we are, the biggest center of them all. Co Captain of the Ship joining me as always Jeff Grub. Yeah, I do have a rule about this. I'm okay with you believing that you're gonna get raptured once in your life. If it doesn't happen, you're never allowed to do it again. You get one, and then if it doesn't then no more. I don't want to hear it again.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: He is the triple kickflip backflip, sliding down on your tummy in a suit of meat, in every instance, in every video game, in every aspect of life, Dan Reiker.
Speaker 6: Hi, I have been sliding around in video games as a meat man.
Speaker 7: Were you referencing a video game, jan or are you just saying things?
Speaker 3: I'm just saying things out but also skate Oh reference meeting, but then I started last night.
Speaker 2: But were you meeting that game?
Speaker 3: That's right, and we have the mediast boy. He's full of meat, but he's.
Speaker 4: Also full of bones.
Speaker 2: Jeff back nothing butt bones.
Speaker 8: Actually, uh, look, folks, starting to think maybe God is just pretend. Okay, all right, we'll see you next week for Maybe it's just pretend for for you, for little kids. Okay, so maybe just shut up.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear about anymore. Shut up. You just have to be God that raptures us. Couldn't we get raptured by like.
Speaker 3: The or I guess the Easter bunny is like adjacent to God right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well just so many God else like littered with God across this universal plane.
Speaker 2: Sean to isolate Dan saying.
Speaker 4: What is the rapture?
Speaker 2: What we're talking about?
Speaker 4: The rapture? Yeah? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I saw it this morning, saying like.
Speaker 2: I didn't get ruptured. I'm like, yeah, what a bunch us think they're gonna get raptured today?
Speaker 4: Like this?
Speaker 7: It's like six times a decade.
Speaker 2: Right, This one is just caught on with like young people on social media.
Speaker 7: So it's their first rapture.
Speaker 2: It's it's your first rapture.
Speaker 4: Total.
Speaker 3: Out of all the things that children think are going to happen, they honestly thought the rapture would would would work.
Speaker 2: Oh, people believe a lot of stupid ship.
Speaker 9: Dude, Yeah, speaking about stupid ship, he doesn't know anything about it because not only is he the bad boy of games media, he has successfully navigated the United States Postal Service and he's got a new phone.
Speaker 4: Like, happy first day of no autism on everybody. We did it. In fact, God is real.
Speaker 2: You got him, Joe, Dan brought up your new phone.
Speaker 7: How's that going? How's that been going?
Speaker 3: What do you mean, Mike, Mike, you don't have to all.
Speaker 4: Right, they're okay. So I did finally get the phone, scream screaming about it.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I got I just love this story a lot, Mike, Yeah, tell us about your new phone has great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got the phone. I was like, oh, how do I get my you know, phone number on this phone? Now?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: You just you don't have to go to the store anymore. That's great.
Speaker 2: We haven't had to do that for fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I'm confused.
Speaker 2: Don't you just take a SIM card out of it and put in the car? You don't even know you do?
Speaker 6: You have one phone, look at the other phone with the camera, and it's like, do you want all your ship on this phone? And you say yeah, and everything the EA SIM all your stuff goes over. It's easy as hell.
Speaker 4: Now, No, So I did a SIMS also easy. It's like, okay, now we just need the uh the phone number of the account holder and their stuff. I was like, oh, yeah, I'm on my dad's plan right now. So I did that. Uh. And I was doing all of it, and he had a like get a code. I was like, oh Dad, did you get a confirmation code? He sends me blah blah, blah, okay, great, But somehow I must have missed something because his phone number went on my phone, and in my panic, I immediately deleted it, and somehow, at what point started looking at my old phone again, it saw that there was still a phone number, onto like, oh no, it's still on there, and deleted that forgetting that that was my old phone number still. So now neither of my phones had cellular connection. But also my father didn't have his phone number title his phone anymore. It didn't know about it. And he is on vacation.
Speaker 2: Where did you go on vacation money?
Speaker 6: Yes, so he's a Disney World He probably doesn't need his phone, right, what do you do for a living?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: Well, he's a doctor, so sometimes he gets very important but calls it messages even on vacation.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, well queen, this amazing crawl. I how were you able to delete your dad?
Speaker 4: Was a number like that? You had?
Speaker 2: The phone had the numbers? But why is that? Like I guess he gave me the.
Speaker 4: Concremation code, which we both thought was just for me to get my number. He was siding away his rights to his phone number.
Speaker 8: So so is this just a consequence of you just not read thought I read.
Speaker 4: I thought, Look, I thought that as soon as I scared my opho with this, though, the only thing that was going to happen was I was going to take the phone number from that phone to put it on here. The idea that my dad's number could possibly somehow get put on my phone did not occur to me. Look, now, did my dad had to spend like three hours of his vacation on customer service calls? Down? Yes?
Speaker 3: He did. How did he call anyone? If you didn't have.
Speaker 4: Probably go to like guess services World or just somebody like he was with family, resumably, could you so? Yes, he was with his wife, my stepmom. But they turned her phone off too because the account got flagged. Oh yea.
Speaker 2: Death con five situation.
Speaker 4: See, well, poor AJ my brother like, because you know, I had a like message him, I'm like, I'd be like, look, I can't call them, I can't text them. You have to somehow get in contact with them.
Speaker 2: And what's happening, Mike, Mike rounded to the near nearest ten.
Speaker 7: How many people do you think died because of this?
Speaker 4: No one died?
Speaker 2: Everything fine, there's no way for you to know that. No, somebody could have died like you don't strike me as as the kind of guy, the kind of son or brother that creates a lot of messes. But when you do, they seem like they would be of this scale where it does affect like multiple people in the world. This is a poopy pants uh accident.
Speaker 4: And also okay, as I feared the one the only reason I didn't want to tell this story. It's gonna be like march on his dad's plans. Though, yes, that was a holdover. I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with being on a family every.
Speaker 4: What take, sir, is yes, we're on a family plan and those of that that's toxic American individualism, Mike, And we're over that now.
Speaker 2: We're all one people.
Speaker 4: All the funny stuff that I did wrong, and there's still munching on to the fact that was.
Speaker 2: What my dad's plan.
Speaker 4: I mean, it plays it to there I'm a mad child narrative and I'm not. I'm glad I have a mortgage and I have said problems. You have problems, yeah, like deleting your dad's phone number. So why are we talking about this?
Speaker 8: Listen, It's it's good that you're still on your dad's plan, because then this cavalcade of fuck ups would not have happened.
Speaker 2: I felt really bad. I think I expect my kids to be on my cell phone plan when they are like into their thirties. I got I could see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have no problem with that. Oh I felt man, it was one of the There was a moment where it's funny that I accidentally deleted my phone number off the oh too, so I had no cell service of any guide. There was a moment there was like, oh my god, I messed up. My dad's foe doesn't work and he doesn't even know he does, even though he was in pretty good spirits when I finally called it about.
Speaker 2: What was that conversation like when you first spoke to Remember Doc.
Speaker 4: You know the show Dinosaur Dinosaur, You can just go baby, So remember the episode where I think it's the first episode where the baby like grabs the remote and the dad's like, oh, if you touch that, you're gonna be one sorry little dinosaur. And then he changes the channel and he pops up from the couch. He goes, I'm sorry. So I just called my dad and I's just like, I'm sorry, and your dad's reaction to.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mike, I think if anything, if you were worried about any part of that being construed as like being a man child, I think it is less of the family plan because that's economical. It may be more of apologizing through uh riffing off the dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: Aby dinosaur from the dinosaurs. I'm the Mikey gotta.
Speaker 2: Love you there it is Man, Well in your internet's bad.
Speaker 4: That's not me.
Speaker 3: To tell Dylan to stop torrenting or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's me. You're you look good now, Okay.
Speaker 6: I love the story, so just picturing him at Disney World getting the first like sense of that, like did he look down on his phone and it just didn't work or did he hear from one of you first?
Speaker 4: As I said, I think, make a j call our stepmom who at the time think her number wasn't turned off yet at that point they had not suspected fraud, so her numbers still worked at the moment. It's so good man, all right, Oh boy, newhone's nice though it's got this extra button for the camera. Now that's neat. I do like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice cool, I kind of I really want cars to be done again.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, because they try to sell you subscriptions to like shit like heated seats like that. That will be the.
Speaker 4: Thing that really drives me insane.
Speaker 3: Is yeah, like I'm contemp you knows, as I've alluded here, I'm thinking about moving yet again. And part of that is, like, you know what, I've had this twenty fourteen Honda Civic four ten years. Let me trade this away, sell it and try to pick up a new car. And then I look at all the new cars and they all fucking suck because why do they have like two iPads on them?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Am I old that? I don't want a gigantic screen on my car?
Speaker 6: I mean the only thing I want is the map, really, and I want to be able to like play podcasts on it.
Speaker 7: That's all I need.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 8: Twenty fourteen Civic is only a third of the way through its life, Jen, what do you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But you know what, I like the uh one fifty I think, holy shit, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like that for Ani, that's like half of its life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I also wonder fulfill my dream of having like a truck that it can throw shit in.
Speaker 7: You know, what do you picture it? What what are you picturing putting in the truck?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like, Godie, I'm cruising through the streets of wherever. I'm like, oh damn, that's a sick ass coffee table.
Speaker 2: Are you going to be the goat guy? Are you gonna be the guy that has goats in his truck?
Speaker 3: I could be the goat guy, you know, I really Okay, Scout, no Scout place.
Speaker 7: I'm jealous.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, no, no, you can still ride in the truck. It's fine their space. I can't put you in the bed.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm gonna pop off. No, I already popped che you can no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no no, Mike.
Speaker 7: The runway is clear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is an open, open place.
Speaker 4: I may have gone on to X for like one moment the other week and I meet like for I forget why. Then I went on I Notifications and it was somebody at ATS trying to get Jan fired because they're mad at Scout, barking and oh, hey you shut the house.
Speaker 3: Person on X tagging bikey about Scout. Shut the fuck up, eat my ass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we like Scout. It's it's it's the most pleasant park. Anyways, I was like, what you'll get a dog. They just park sometimes. What are you gonna do do with it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, you I love this.
Speaker 7: I mean we'll have the jan firing meeting after this show.
Speaker 4: We got so sorry, Jae, we got bad news.
Speaker 3: We'll talk all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't think you need a truck.
Speaker 8: I'm not trying to persuade you out of getting Nobody needs a truck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, some people need trucks. I don't need a truck. If I were to move to southern California, I definitely don't need a.
Speaker 6: Truck, you know, but I think there are certain people that are just constantly using their trucks.
Speaker 2: Truck if you're a contractor and you get through your business, yes, no individual needs a truck.
Speaker 4: I see way too.
Speaker 8: Many people in suburbia with their fucking giant That's what.
Speaker 4: My dad has a lot enough and uh yeah, oh yeah, he's hauling around all them much the one because he hit a deer. They got the new one. I'm like, well, this is great because I need to move something. He's like, you're not putting that in my new truck. And I'm like, well, what is the point of this truck? Yeah, totally. I'm glad I deleted his from number.
Speaker 2: I'm glad he deserved it. It sounds like he deserbor.
Speaker 7: My neighbor has a truck he's obsessed with.
Speaker 6: Like it seems like all day he's just out front looking at his truck and doing stuff of his truck. But he has like like Minnesota during the winter, he has like giant like plow things he puts on front and like kind of clear stuff out and everything, like like he's utilizing it for proper purposes.
Speaker 2: Right if you're like a truck guy, like that's what Like, it's a truck's nice to have and they're fun. And it sounds like that's where Jan wants to get into the action here. It's like have it for like some fun stuff and yeah, do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I like going camping, so you know, you to be useful for that. But I also just I just want to fucking key truck somewhere to run me through.
Speaker 8: The process of I think importing one of those now is almost there's truck yeah.
Speaker 2: K e I They're dope. They're super sill. They are the many trucks from Japan.
Speaker 4: Dan. That's like these guys.
Speaker 2: They are there's an importer here in Cleveland, and they have them for like a surprisingly low prices, like something like starting at like four or five grand. I'm like, what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But I think, you know, I think those might be like a certain certain models. I haven't looked too closely.
Speaker 8: But what's the size comparison to a car that we would be able to you know visually?
Speaker 2: You know, they're they're like like you know, like like like take that and then like shrink it by like twenty percent and then put a flat or not a flat at but you know, pickup truck.
Speaker 8: Yeah, back, I've seen them, but I've never seen one in person.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Speaking about going on to Twitter's restaurants k K truck truck, I also did the same recently. And then, uh, I I don't know why I felt compelled by I checked my ass and then someone else was complaining about me, saying I'm terrible at my job, and to that person, hey, fuck off eat my ass from the front.
Speaker 8: Wait they said they it was specifically.
Speaker 4: You're terrible at your job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not even like no specific citations as to why they were like.
Speaker 4: Star terrible his job.
Speaker 3: Well, bitch, get the feeling a little spicy today. It's a different person from Scout.
Speaker 2: Uh Is it because I spoke about God that way?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, they're not mad at you. I mean not yet.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: There's a moral of this story about what websites not to go to. What do they think about Tyler over at X right now? Search for Tyler in the search bar.
Speaker 3: I think Sean had said something yesterday about Django unchained and just kind of like like something in my head, and I'm like, oh yeah, oh no, I am like fully off. There's no longer love on a leash. It's just like off, we have free zone. It's terrible, It's going to be.
Speaker 4: Gang. It is like that.
Speaker 3: I think you should leave Sketch, except we are just back in Sloppy Steaks era and we're just.
Speaker 4: Anyways video games mistaken as the words stake in it. Yeah, we know.
Speaker 3: Speaking about sloppy games. Lego Voyagers is something of that grab and I checked out and it is actually the antithesis of Sloppy is a very cute and quaint co op game where you and a companion are too little one by one bricks yep, the one by ones and crub you joked around that we were just gonna be lounging in our chairs in Lego Voyagers and you joked around about watching the Challenger explosion. Yeah, then we saw the Challenger.
Speaker 2: It happened, Yes, in Lego. I was like, there was a spaceship and I'm like, oh, it's gonna be like the date's gonna come up in like nineteen eighty six and then.
Speaker 4: N eleven exactly.
Speaker 2: But then the spaceship takes off and it fucking explodes and then it crashes around you. So it felt just like the Challenger explosion.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know.
Speaker 2: Other than that, though chill vibes Q came, I don't know, it's kind I liked it. It was a good time. I don't know if I'm like gonna see it through, like Jane, if you wanted to, like we could, but we're so busy. I don't know, we're not gonna prioritize it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: What I played of it I found to be a very sort of just low stakes. But when you get to a puzzle, you're like, Okay, let's figure this out, and it's like just a matter of like what can this object do? Once you figure that out, you figure out like how to get the other person to do the other thing, to interact with it, and there's like one of those every five ish minutes. It's not overwhelming a lot of times, it's just moving through a space with your buddy in a really nice way.
Speaker 3: It is a very it's not quite a one button co op game. Maybe a three button co op game and stakes, Like you said, Gunportunately, they added more button.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What I wanted to bring up leg a Voyager specifically, since it is like an uh, it is a co op game. You can't launch into a single player. You could do local co op, but we GB and I obviously played online co op. Where are y'all on Split Fiction? Because I was reminded that came out this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what about it? I was really liking it. I just need to kind of get my brother back here to play through it. I actually didn't want to play through that before Game of the Year because I was having a great time with it. My other brother has been playing it with his eight year old son and he's really enjoying that.
Speaker 2: Finished in the weekend. Okay, cool, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's objectively very very good. I really enjoyed my time with it. I do there's a bit of a like empty calories feeling to it, but that's not necessarily a complaint. It's just one that like every second I was playing it, liked it, and then I just haven't really thought about it since. But I do think it's probably the best one they've made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I uh, I enjoy the force not force co op genre, but uh, I am excited to see the possibilities, especially something as simple as Lego Voyagers.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then like the complexity of split fiction, I want to see like a fun middle ground.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: For for for that, I guess a whole lot genre he's in creamback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, definitely is.
Speaker 7: Uh is Lego Voyagers a elomelo Like I.
Speaker 2: Never played Elo, but I'm gonna say, yes, what about Oh yeah, of course go to hell?
Speaker 3: It is lower on the elomelo ebn ab uh scale, Like it is not quite a Snipper Clips, but it is above a Pico Park. Yes, sure, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 2: That genre is strange, just because it's like it feels like one studio dominates it. I was, I guess I was surprised to see this, but in a way I shouldn't because that you know, before Split Fiction, what was there one that did really do?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Takes two sold very well, so about other people are taking notice, But it just feels like there's not enough room in that space for multiple studios. I don't know if we'll get one in between Lego Voyagers and Split Fiction Jam, but I would like to see it. So I don't know, Maybe that's an indie game studio that actually like puts something out like that out Splits.
Speaker 4: Section had a switch to like the launch Port. I think it actually actually is a pretty good port. So I think a lot more people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we had good things about that.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't play that.
Speaker 4: Thought somebody brothers playing it actually.
Speaker 3: Also, if you're just a regular decular fan of Lego, this is a gorgeous game.
Speaker 2: It's nice to look at the Lego pieces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything like the floral and fauna is all different Lego pieces. But there's like one of like the corner studs that you will use to like finish off like a bigger building or object when you're building a Lego set. They use it for like butterflies, and it's great Lego though they don't have eat or at least the ones that we were playing with Dan, You've been all about feet because you've been checking out Baby Steps.
Speaker 6: I did you played, I'd say a couple hours an hour, so I got past it. There was like one point where it actually like seemed like there was like a break in the like you know, it's like the level was beaten and it's like, oh, do you want to go onward and upward? And I did that and that next area I spent a long time going around and I got really far up this hill and then I fell into like a slippery like rock thing that sent me into a waterfall. And it was like comical watching how far I kept sliding down. It was very black Sheep, you know, Farley falling down the hill or hot Rod the same joke. And I was like, okay, well great, I'm gonna go to the bottom here and it's going to be like all right, respawn or whatever, you're dead.
Speaker 7: It's like no, my guy just had to get up.
Speaker 6: And it's like, wait, I have That was a really far fucking way more like only up type stuff, right, you know, where it's like no, no, You've got to go back up there. So I kept walking and I was like, oh, okay, I'm seeing a bunch of new stuff without going up, so I thought it was like, this must be a part where you have to fall and then it leads you into this next area. And I realized no, I just did like a full lap around the mountain, I think because I got back to where I started and I was like, oh my god, I just need to go up there again. I just like got stepped back like forty minutes because I fell down this waterfall.
Speaker 2: It's a game like that's you know, yeah, yeah, I under.
Speaker 3: Is there any type of check pointing?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I haven't gone back into it that one session with the game, and I never like got so I don't even remember, know.
Speaker 2: So when we did the we did like, uh, what do we do?
Speaker 11: Wasn't a quick look Unfinished Unfinished did unfinished for the demo of the beta, which was, by the way, one of my favorite video guys.
Speaker 4: You guys have ever done that? I wasn't end I love that video. Guys did a really good job.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was a good time.
Speaker 8: They I don't remember where it drops you off again, Like I feel like once you got to that first bonfire, maybe it was there.
Speaker 6: I assume that there's a break when it says that it shows you the bedroom again and it says onward and upward, like that definitely must have saved, but like, I don't know if it saves after that, haven't gone back.
Speaker 4: There's like a.
Speaker 8: Surprising amount of mystery going on in this game. I feel like where and.
Speaker 6: Like you're curiosity will get the best of you where It's like I got to one point where there's just like a pit and it's just like a circular pit filled with dirt, and it's like, all right, it doesn't seem like there's any points of interest in there. It seems like I could just walk around it and go forward, but like, I'm too curious. There has to be like what happens if I go in that pit? And sure, if I went in, I walk around and I couldn't get out and you just can't lift your feet high enough for that. And then it triggered to cuts in where Benet Fatty comes by and brings a ladder by and everything, But like, has anyone gotten to that point, like can you?
Speaker 4: And I kind of mostly just did what I did in the demo, so.
Speaker 2: You but you saying all this stuff really like I love ben at Foddy games. I love the idea, well, I love the idea. In practice it's infuriating, but I love that being infuriated by a game that just says, fuck you, if you fall down, deal with it, and like that's you know, getting over it with minute fady, like that is the whole game, like sort of considering what that feeling is and why we do why we you like, put up with stuff like that, And so for them to kind of go even further and have this game that feels like it takes that concept and makes it open in three D that is very enticing to me. It's like, what is going to be hidden in this world that you only see if you are willing to go in that direction that looks wrong? Or there's a stare steps over here, and there's a muddy hill over there, and it's like, well, what if I tried to force my way up the muddy hill? I got to see that like that, like I can already like feel myself like feeling compelled to do that.
Speaker 6: And it kind of jokes with the idea of being in a more normal game where like at one point, like an hour in or something, a character you're talking to me like, hey, here, here's a map. You know, this is a map, and then like a mini map pops up for like a second, and it's like a normal mini map and it shows like, you know, a dotted line of like where you're supposed to go, and you guys like, I don't, I don't need a map up buying up fine, and then it just goes away. It's like, so for a second, I'm like, okay, we're introducing the mcginalia like this stuff, and then it's like no, no, fuck, you want more. You know, it seems to me what the game is, which I do respect the commitment to the.
Speaker 4: BID's Sonny.
Speaker 3: Speaking about taking steps and just going keeping on with walking. Mike, Dan and grub y'all kept digging. Yeah. Last week, that's right.
Speaker 7: This was.
Speaker 4: Another digging a whole game. This one has three player co op, so we went through this one two together. Very similar to a game about digging a hole. The co op is the big difference here, but it's as silly as the game about digging a hole is. This one is like taking its being a game even less seriously, Like it has all the mechanics from that and you think you know what the loop is. This game's very easy to kind of just brute force your way through. For one thing, they have teleporter checkpoints, so instead of like worrying about, okay, you have to have enough battery and rope lush, you can get back up to the top, and you know, to make sure you don't run out, you kind of just sort of brute force your way and especially with all three of you digging at the same time, just dig dig, dig, dig dig to get to the next teleporter that teleport back up. So, yeah, it's less of a well designed game, but it's still a ton of stupid fun, especially with co op. It wasn't taking yourself seriously at all. You can find costumes, so we were all dressed up as chimpanzees at some point and then we got yeah, yeah, yeah, we got to fart in Jess's mouth. That was Chris Person asked if you can use that clip for the next highlight l by.
Speaker 2: The way of course.
Speaker 4: Forever. Yeah, so you know, maybe ever respects the word, but it's like every respect The game is.
Speaker 2: Very positive on Steam, and I get that, like, like Mike's right, it's a poorly designed game. I would say, and yet they find a way to like make that not matter because they focus on the stuff that does work, like even the teleporters, the checkpoints. It's like, you could see why that exists. You could try to design your way around to keep players together in a multiplayer digging game, or you could just take the easy way out and say no, you can all teleport to the same place so you're all together again and start working again. And that, you know, is probably the right choice for this five dollars game on Steam that is like, hey, let's just go dig a hole together. Like it doesn't get in its own way even when it is not making the best decisions about how to design a digging video game.
Speaker 3: So now we've had powerwashing simulator, now we've gone into digging. What is the next physical labor activity?
Speaker 4: Do you think I want to spread mulch okay, sure, spreader? Yeah. Yeah, there's got to be like a.
Speaker 2: Landscaping simulator game, yeah, definitely. Yeah. But I do think like we've been doing these simple tasks. We did run a grocery store once, Dan, That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: Doing that a lot. We did a great job, I.
Speaker 2: Think, sort of running a small business probably is the next one where it's like, let's uh, let's go into one of those simulators and do a couple of streams or whatever and see how far we can get. Real we yeah, we were weed dealers. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I think I saw snow Bike Mike streaming a game once that looked like your supermarket game. But he ran like a.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, that was neat. I would go to a card store snow Bike mic was running one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely a trading card store.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good times.
Speaker 3: I would let him talk me into like playing any sort of game.
Speaker 4: And he's just like, oh, dude, jah, let's go. It's a story you got to go do to get the kadrima credit card.
Speaker 6: Actually I need to hear about this.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's that announced? Just wait last time?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, all right, well, going from digging holes to riding trains last night, mister Manatti on Mega Man, you checked out Monster Train two.
Speaker 4: That's right. This is one of those roguelike deck builder games. Somehow I mantioned not place the spire until relatively recently, but liked it a ton, So when I heard that this is a newer one of those that came out this year and everybody likes it. I decided I definitely wanted to check it out. It's a bit more different from Slight Spire than I was expecting. It's much more, you know, like it's Slightest Spire, you just kind of have your one dude and you're you know, you have all these cars that are often like spells or abilities. Here you are deploying units, and you kind of have three four layers of this train and three layers you can put down your people and those are represented by cards, and enemies kind of make their way up the layers. It's almost a little tower defensive. When they get to the top, then they fight your engine. You got to protect your engine. So with all of that and like a lot of us, it's a good deal more complicated than the Slightest Spire. I would say in a way that like at first it's almost a little off putting, but then you kind of begin to understand and grock it and you appreciate it more.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: I was definitely having fun. It's presentation wise. Look Slightest Spire is not some gorgeous game either, to be clear, but this game has very strong and I don't know how else to put this looks like a mobile game energy, you know it does.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it looks like the type of fantasy stuff that'd be pain it on the side of a van.
Speaker 7: It's not a bad thing, but positive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's literally like, you know, you see the art for like the fake mobile games like the People, and like it's kind of what you call that that weird, like every body part is like moving constantly all the time, but like one thousand frames per second. But the art itself is very simple and flat.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is, I hate it.
Speaker 4: I don't mean yeah, yeah, so you know, this is a game tool where it's like, oh, there's like such potential here trains and going to heaven and hell instead. It just kind of has that look to it. But you can kind of get over it because the gameplay itself is so fun, you know, these run based games, it's just so easy to be like, ooh, I think I'm a little bit better. Now, let me try that again. You begin to sort of see where synergies can happen, what kind of strategies can develop. In between fights, you have to pick between a left or a right path, and they'll have different kind of upgrade opportunities on each one, a little bit like The Spy where you're taking different branches to try to figure out what kind of stops you want to make. So, yeah, it definitely seems like a good one of these. I think I prefer Slay the Spire is a bit more toned back version of it, a bit simpler.
Speaker 2: And would you recommend, Like I still have not played one of these, and I know you just played Split Slay the Spire recently, is that the one you would still recommend I go play first?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think absolutely They're both very good, and I could see the argument for either, Like like Bonk's obsessed with both of those, and I think she actually preferred she one hundred percent uh Monster Training to just played like probably over one hundred hours probably a bit.
Speaker 2: And it's cool.
Speaker 6: It's like it gets really deep with like thease I played a good amount of it too, and the synergies you can do between like your primary group and your secondary group, and oh this one has these things where this phase of the Moon system is going on here, and it's like you realize, like, oh, the synergies that can have with this other group, Like there's just a lot of strategic possibilities in that game that like it's overwhelming at first, but it's you know, because I was asking Bonka, I was like, this is confusing the hell.
Speaker 7: Out of me.
Speaker 6: She's like, anything I say is not going to help more than just like playing a couple of rights, and sure enough you do just kind of click with it.
Speaker 7: So it's very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I grew up ours. I can see myself playing this sort of you know, second screening while doing other things, for sure, and I bet I'm going to appreciate it even more in a few weeks.
Speaker 2: You watch a.
Speaker 3: Movie, right, yeah, Greb, how much of like this card combat stuff have you checked out?
Speaker 4: With that all?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've played plenty of card combat games. I played that Hand of GILGAMESH game, the okay, yeah, the Robot one, and I thought that, yes, Steam World, thank you, and I thought that was pretty solid.
Speaker 4: I played quite a bit of it.
Speaker 2: And then but I just I have not played this specific blim, which I guess I still don't even like. I was kind of watching what Mike was doing, but I'm like, you know what, it's exactly what Bonk said, Dan, I'm like, I need to just play this.
Speaker 4: I know, I just need to play it to understand what's going on. I got a perfect starter one for you, Kingdom Hearts, chain of.
Speaker 2: Kind of off.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let this man cook keep going.
Speaker 4: We go. It's because it's like a normal action game, you just use the cards. It's more it's more of a Fantasy Star Online episode three, like if you okay, all right, now, you got me, all right? Itos something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you talk about the art being like the side of a van fantasy and I was thinking, like as much as I bristle at fantasy tropes and stuff and like normal fiction and games and stuff, I could think of three instances I see it. I'm like, hell yeah, it's sides of vans like airbrushed RBD style, uh, posters at Spencer's gifts of course, you know, like Black Wizard like Black Flights, mushrooms and stuff.
Speaker 7: And then anything Pog related.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, the slammer, the board all that's oh wait, I activated my sorry p Og Okay, all right, okay, yeah, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 4: I just thought.
Speaker 2: I do like when we talk sometimes and I look in back Oars just kind of shaking his head a little bit.
Speaker 4: A little Shank.
Speaker 6: Picture in my mind's eye when you say pog and but Mike pictures very different times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think of like pineapple orange juice and Guada juice.
Speaker 7: So I think about a wizard with eight ball.
Speaker 2: Wait, isn't that worth? The POGs came from from the juice? Oh oh?
Speaker 6: The caps? The caps Okay, you started like milk caps and stuff.
Speaker 2: The POGs. The caps were where you get the things. That's what they're called POGs. Fun to tell black stuff.
Speaker 3: Let's let's keep the wheels rolling here. Last week on on Professional Fridays, we checked out Skate and it bothers me that they're just calling it skate instead of just skate.
Speaker 4: For call it lower skates because of the lowercase s. That's what I've been calling it. Man, he's going to fetch eventually. Here. I think it's gonna catch on. It's pretty good. Huh, good luck lower.
Speaker 2: So I had some feelings about Skate. I thought that this was a pretty good game for what they were trying to go for, while also being well the truth of the criticisms of it feeling corporately sanitized are also very true. But it's like it does this like sampling of the feeling of hanging out with your friends trying to nail a trick while skateboarding. I've not like done that. I've done that for snowboarding before, but I always like watched skateboarding in the Olympics and was confused. I'm like, these rounds are so short. I was watching the Best Trick thing and apparently this is just a normal thing for skateboarders of spending all day on one rail trying to nail the best trick on that thing. And so yeah, they're literally on their board for two seconds at a time and then they're off their board for a long time watching other people do it. And I think this game is trying to nail that aspect of it, because we definitely had multiple times where we were like on one roof trying to nail the ramp to land on another roof, or like when we were on that crane trying to like hit terminal velocity and land on our board on top of that other one and actually just pulling that stuff off felt really rewarding, and I was like, really enjoying just hanging out with you guys trying to do that. It's I think that's exactly the kind of game they were trying to make, and for me, it's like, oh, you passed that test. Now, it's just everything else needs to be improved. You need to make the world feel something. You need to give it some pushback instead of just this is the fun space where brands can come and advertise and we could sell skins. Eventually, it just feels bad in all those other ways.
Speaker 11: I don't know, it's just got no personality right there doesn't, but like it does have personality in that, like they allow you to do some weird stuff like you can do like your emotes whenever, like the way you can, like you know, set the markers and work back to it, Like it really helps you do things like hey, let's all set our markers on top of this crane and we're gonna keep jumping off and trying to land on these things.
Speaker 6: Like I liked most of the things that didn't involve the skating, which you know back in the day, Like that was the thing I never liked about the skate games is I didn't like the skating controls. I was a big Tony Hawk guy, and it's just the whole analog stuff just did not work for me. And it still does not work for me. It's just something in my head doesn't click with the way that operates. But when I'm just running around off my board and we're climbing skyscrapers and jumping off buildings and stuff, I was having fun with that.
Speaker 2: I'm just real quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah I was.
Speaker 2: I'm the huge Tony Hawk guy. This is the first skate that I've really clicked with, though, So it's like, it is possible, and I think it's a little bit floaty. I think I would. I was expecting to be a little bit more grounded in terms of like, oh, you your board's not going to be in the air for like three seconds, so you can't perfectly nail the rails, but you can and it feels good. So I don't know, I feel I kind of am with this game on its sort of idea of how this game should feel and kind of giving you a little bit of leeway when you are in the air to actually nail some cool stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't realize. I may be the only person on the crew that has really enjoyed the skate franchise.
Speaker 4: We like Tony Hawk, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, but Beck, you said it during upf that it's it's so interesting that skate still manages to capture an odd feeling of actual skating in a sense because like you're prepping your jump, the physics can be real enough where like all right, I boofed it on like the set of stairs, let me just go walk back up and try and tackle it again. And the skating, the skate essence of it is definitely still there, and I think it feels really good. And it's while that this team has been able to nail that aspect when there have been so many different skate likes over the years in between Skate three and Lower Skate. God damn it it worked that haven't quite nailed the physics, and like the board feel and board control of it, where you're trying to do too much with like both analog sticks of one foot is this foot, one foot is right stick is your right foot. But with skate, with the classic controls of just pushing and kicking with a button, it still manages to feel really good. That being said, Grub, I think you're one hundred percent spot on. You're not if they just tuned it enough where it feels like you're going a little bit faster. I think I would enjoy more.
Speaker 2: The skating speed needs to be amped up for sure, like the top speed there, and then I just think they need like culturally, they need to really rework this game, like that's the big thing, like like yeah, it's like, yeah, it's kind of so corporate in actual skateboarding because it is in the Olympics and it is like growing globally, and brands are seeing an opportunity to like get into this new subculture and they're going to subsume that eventually, and skate should not be a part of that process. It should be the one thing that's like we're still kind of in your face a little bit, but it's EA and they're like, no, we don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This feels like gentrified skate in a way. Yeah, and soulless because uh and and all of the promotional materials has just been lauding of like oh you love love skate culture. This is going to be a amog to that.
Speaker 4: Further away from.
Speaker 6: That starts out and it's like an AI. It's like Hi, I'm your AI assistant and it's time for you to create a character. And they all look like default Fortnite skins, and this is not the vibe I want from this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that you're like leveling up and you're getting uh like a currency to unlock blind boxes and everything. It's not what I want or what I'm looking for in something that is supposed to uphold skate culture. It doesn't have enough grunge to it. I want it to be dirty. I want people to be slurring their words. I want whoever's talking to me to be missing teeth.
Speaker 6: You want ECW but this feels like tko era wwe yes. Definitely like I want skate town, you know, God.
Speaker 2: This does feel like Saudi Arabia's skating, like I want.
Speaker 3: Mike Valley style skating, where it is like I am running at a hill, jumping on my board and like attacking a rail. And here it's like it does feel a little too floaty. It does feel a little too corporate, and I think it's it's very weird because they talk about.
Speaker 4: Like oh corporolah.
Speaker 3: And that it is his presence in the city, and it just takes away a lot of the soul of ski.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is like Tony Hawk. When Tonyak originally came out in the nineties, it was like, we are just going to make a statement of what skateboarding is because it was like kind of one thing back then, or at least popularly. Popularly, it was one thing, and so they could just come out and be like be brash. And now we're at this point where it's like there are a lot of young kids in the skateboarding like again globally in Brazil and Japan, it's massively popular, right with ten eleven twelve year olds, and some of the best skateboarders in the world are ten eleven and twelve years old, And it's like, I think they're like in a moment where like, wait, we're not sure kind of the direction skateboarding is going to go, so we're not going to like be bold and take a stance with like like stating this is what culture is, and that's it's a mistake, Like they should like, if you're gonna be the video game for skateboarding, it's already been proven multiple times. You can just be like the most important thing in the culture, the way Tony Hawk's pro skater once was. And this game feels a million miles away from that.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like skating has had its like booms over the years and everything, and we are in the midst of another upswell of a new generation of skaters. Grub I was watching like an eleven year old killing a vert ramp in a while.
Speaker 2: They're doing nine hundreds every run.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but something that I think is missing in this because I guess of like the city that they've created is like the actual street skating part of it. Sure, you can find a couple different parts of like the city to to kind of focus in on, and like, oh, I want to hit this bench and then like go over here hit this gap. But some of the stuff that I absolutely love about modern skating is people bombing a hill and and also just like, look, everything looks too clean. I wanted to look like it's shot on like a VX one thousand that give me like the VHS fish I look in and all that is missing from this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but don't you think that. I mean, I'm with I understand where that comes from, right with like you know, the skate videos and whatnot. But I think you know, it's I'm not defending the sort of like saccharine you know, polish that it's just absolutely yeah, like I said, I don't think it really has a lot of personality, but I think, you know, I think skateboarding has evolved out from that as well too a little bit.
Speaker 2: Right, It's I don't think it's I don't think so. I think it. I think corporations have set themselves on top of it and sort of like are trying to like make sure that they.
Speaker 4: Can keep it clean for their their own personal needs.
Speaker 2: But uh, the skateboarding underneath all that is still just it's still grind for sure, saying it like skateboarding where they're not supposed to be skateboarding kind of still being vagrant to a certain point, Like, yeah, that is still like a huge part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I just think, like, you know, uh something something has changed in thirty years, right, like, uh, you know, I don't know. I think whatever this game is going for like they are not they are not final.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know. But and I completely agree with everybody's everyone's saying about the aesthetics and all that. I kind of keep playing this game even after the upf.
Speaker 2: Yeah everything else.
Speaker 4: This is way more than I thought I would. I've never played a skate so I guess I'll surprise how much I am enjoying just you know, and I'm glad that it is very different from a Tony Hawk. It's a completely different pace, it's completely different control style, and it's a great game to just kind of put on and try to knock out some of these challenges. While I'm watching a video or something like that, I'm kind of like, Oh, should I go play skate three or something? I really missed this series. Huh. I'm surprised how much I liked the gameplay.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I don't know. I when I think about my youth of skating around and just seeing people like smashing a board with their feet because they were just so frustrated, and then two minutes later they're rolling a blunt on the broken skateboard, I'm like, oh, yeah, that's skating, baby, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, And they could just gesture at that. Just give me like one scuzzy dude in an alley that instead of a shaggy bullshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah we know he's not smoking weed on the show, but we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I like, I've never skateboarded in my life. I do not have the coordination for it. But between like Jackass and Tony Hawk and stuff, being a big part of like the culture and like junior high and stuff, and also just a bunch of like skater friends I had and stuff. I think I just do have an appreciation. I think there's something very endearing about that culture that I like and like is absent here.
Speaker 2: You know, right, dudes getting together and not being like Joe rogan Ish bros. Just hanging out and hurting themselves for our entertainment. There's something like special about that. Yeah, and skateboarding was always like the cousin right next to that, and it's like just kind of mashed that bring that back. Maybe that's nostalgia, but it's been whatever. What we're just getting at is whatever they're doing here is not working.
Speaker 4: They need to do something get right.
Speaker 3: There's like a physicality to skating that is slightly missing from this, and I think if they just tune up the speed a little bit that might help. Being off your board is a major component of this game.
Speaker 2: You go faster off your board a hedgehog through this bitch.
Speaker 3: I hope they never patch out the tumbling out or this incredible No way, no way, but they make it such a big component and they saying like, oh you can get off your board. You can parkour, you can climb this, but I wish that fed better into picking up speed to jump onto your board to nail like a gap or like a ramp or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing that bugged me.
Speaker 6: Al was like Tony Hawk, I feel like, you know, you can do those lines where it's just like, Okay, I went up here at revert and I'm manually and I'm going across the level to do this other thing, Like you feel like you can still you know, gain ground and cover ground in that game after tricks and while doing tricks here, I always felt like even if I was able to kind of like get the top speed hit like one grab trick or something, I just feel like there's so many times my momentum just like stalled and I'm like, okay, gotta get going again. Like it just didn't flow for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like there are no like real long line tricks like they are in Tony Hawk.
Speaker 2: But I think it started to make sense for me when we were on that first roof where we jumped in dropped into the ramp and then we're trying to get we were trying to christ are across the gap onto the other roof and it's like, oh, you had to get speed.
Speaker 4: You actually have.
Speaker 2: To like drop in and hit a ramp and do that stuff. It's like, you can't just kick the ground four times and get a lot of speed. You get the top speed there and you could do some stuff, but if you want to like really nail some of these things, you're going to have to use the environment. And again that was kind of leaning into the stuff I was enjoyed about the game of us standing at one point setting our marker down our fast point, you know, the fast travel waypoint on that one building, and be like, let's just try to do this drop in perfectly so we can get across that gap. And once we nailed that, it's like, okay, yeah, I couldn't do this by just like you know, doing the four kicks on the ground in the ramp and jumping across. I actually had to find a place in the environment to drop in from. And I like that. But that kind of that does loop back in the park or of like this is why all these components are in the game, and it was working for me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what's good about That's what I like about it that it has that distinction there because that is you know what you described earlier, that is right, Like that is like constantly a thousand tries of like trying to do this thing.
Speaker 2: I like that about the game.
Speaker 6: I mean, chat here says complaining Skate doesn't play like Tony Hawk is like complaining current Trisma isn't like Mario Karts, just a different thing.
Speaker 7: And it's like, yeah, I acknowledge it. It totally is. And I know some.
Speaker 6: People really appreciate Skate being more realistic, but for me, again not really caring about the realism of it.
Speaker 7: I am just going to value just fun.
Speaker 2: And you're consistent with this because like you SSX and across all these games, like that's the what you prefer.
Speaker 7: Want to be fun.
Speaker 6: I don't need it to feel like, you know, the actual act of doing the thing. That's why I play video games. I can't actually skate.
Speaker 4: Right, And I get I do think that this is fun, though for sure in a different way, Like yeah, yeah, I think it still is. It's a different kind of satisfying and fun for sure. And look, I'm going to say, yeah, I prefer Tony Hawk, and I grew up with that for sure, but I am surprised how much I am enjoying this.
Speaker 3: It's it's funny because if you go online and you look at skate videos, not actual shoot skating, but the video game are two different camps of like, yeah, I love this hyperrealism, like look at me, Neil this bench, and then you'll see stuff like the video I post last night on Blue Sky of me doing a christ Are through a church window and I like that skate Let's let's you do.
Speaker 2: Both, all right?
Speaker 3: Speaking about keeping wheels rolling on the ground, Dan Riiker, you've been playing Sonic Racing Crossworld.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'm I would guess someone here has played it more than me because I basically did like a Grand Prix just to get a sense fic because like I know they doubt. Okay, yeah, I've heard about, you know, just the Sonic Racing games for years. I remember like Vinny and his kids really liked it and stuff. I never really jumped into it, and I don't know why. So this is my first real experience with it, and like it is very very sonic, Like I mean as soon as that opening cutscene or intro video started as like oh the song, holy shit, this is some modern sonic stuff. But I love that it's not just Mario Kart but Sonic, Like they do some interesting stuff here. Like I like even just like the little things like okay for the last race and the Grand Prix, you know, the first place bonus is worth more points, so you can kind of pull ahead.
Speaker 7: I like that the way it does the Cross Worlds.
Speaker 6: Things is the person that's in first when you finish that first lap kind of picks just you know, very easily by going left or right, like do you want a random next course or you know, like you go for a lap into another course, then you go into a portal and you finish on the original one and then like the last race being an amalgamation of the three that you did prior. Like it just it does some really cool stuff. And it does like you know, the switching to the boat and switching to the plane. But I feel like the physics are definitely different and you can do like a hop when you're in the water thing. It's it's they add more to it than like just oh now you're on water, now you're in the sky. So yeah, I really did like it.
Speaker 7: And there's like a good amount of like cart customization and stuff. I saw.
Speaker 6: I want to play more of it. It looks great, runs great. I've been playing on PC. I think we're gonna try some multiplayer on Thursday. But yeah, just kind of getting used to you know, like the boost, the start is different, the drifting system is a little different. There's like different types of characters. So it's just that there's a depth there and it differentiates itself from Mario Kart enough for me to want to spend more time with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been curious about it. I played it at Summer Game Fest, thought it.
Speaker 4: Felt pretty good.
Speaker 2: How are you did one Grand Prix? Did you get a sense of the systems between races? Like how busy is it going to keep you like setting up your cart? It seemed like there was a lot, but I can't tell if that is something I could easily ignore.
Speaker 6: I think Okay, So I did spend a good amount of time just in the like custom cart situation between or after the Grand Prix, And it seems like you're earning tickets during the Grand Prix that you can use to spend on unlocking stuff.
Speaker 7: And like, I never loved.
Speaker 6: The thing and the more recent Mario Karts where it's like I can pick my wheels, my glider and my cart and all this stuff and all that is there, if not even more so, but I think from what I've seen, it should be easier to just go into the customized cart section basically make the cart you want and then just pick that. When you pick your character, It's like, okay, so when I'm Silver, I made this cart that works well with his stats, and so like, I think you should be able to just make your cart and be like, all right, that's the one I pick. You don't have to fiddle around and look at stats every single time.
Speaker 2: It seems okay, all right, that's and I'm not like bemoaning that stuff being there. This game seems like it's going to be for the Sonic fan kid who wants to play this game for two hundred hours, and I'm sure having all that stuff will be important for them. I'm just like, can I ignore it? And it sounds like I probably will be able to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think it is nice that, especially right now with a lot of people were frustrated with the opening world stuff in Mario Kart World, that like this is a bit more traditional and yeah, yeah, I think it's a good time for this game to come out and be the way it is cool.
Speaker 3: Speaking about spending two hundred hours in a game, I feel like collectively we may all total it up. Hollidight Silk Song. Still everyone's still in the Silk Song mines. I believe Mike has beaten it, like I really did it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I got the true ending about forty hours total playtime. I think it said seventy four percent completion all said and done. Final Boss took about two or three hours worth of attempts and felt amazing. I loved it so good, just kind of you know, scratching and calling my way towards that progression. They're feeling like it right, Like was a feeling like, oh, I'm just looking into getting better at this, Like no, each time, I know I'm doing better, I'm understanding this more. Just God, felt so good, Like, you know, forty hours, really really difficult game. Finished it, and you know, I've been trying to kind of like, oh, I'm gonna, you know, play some other things. I've been playing a lot of Mario Tennis on NSO game Boy, right, just killing time to haities. But I'm like, oh, I kind of miss Silk Song. I actually kind of want to just go back actually run achievement. Oh how long did the Act three take you? Definitely was the shortest act I think for like Act three itself was maybe more like six seven eight hours, maybe ten, Okay, because I still don't know how to on lock actory, I'm doing all these different things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, can we just talk about it now, like it's been long time?
Speaker 2: I would I would be open to that, can we Uh.
Speaker 7: It's not that crazy of a spoiler thing.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just put the spoiler warning and give people some time stamps for that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's keep it to like, uh, it's it's ten oh nine right now, let's maybe keep it to five.
Speaker 4: I think everyone's I mean, we don't need to say this on here. I could just tell you after the call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's fine. That that that works next week. I don't know. We're good, folks, We're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 2: I did do the Bile Water Boss, and that was that was definitely the toughest thing, just because it's like it puts all the endurance together of the of the run back and then the it's a you know, a gauntlet of enemies and then that boss but at the end it felt like all the other ones where it's like, eventually you learn the patterns, and that one where you do succeed, you basically play perfectly. You basically just do everything exactly right. And it's I think that might be my smallest of criticisms for this game is the bosses kind of have one speed. It is you need to stay back, learn the patterns, play defensively, stay out of their way, find your opportunities, and go there. Even when you get like a lot of tools and things that make it feel like, all right, this is the one that's gonna be like when I see a boss, I'm gonna get in that ass. The game never wants you to get in that ass of the boss. It is always about like staying back, and that's like for it taking so many cues from Soulsborn games. That's the one I wish, like, just give me one or two fights where it is about being all out aggressive and rewarding me for that. You can play that way, you can find a way to do that, but it's never it never feels like the intended way, and so it's just like I wanted a little.
Speaker 7: You'll get lucky sometimes be like, oh, should I be that first try, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, no, yeah, yeah, no, I'm definitely one shot at some bosses before.
Speaker 4: But that's because I played defensively.
Speaker 2: It's because I was looking for the patterns because I had learned from that last boss that that's what I.
Speaker 4: Needed to do.
Speaker 2: But that is, like I said a very tiny criticist, like I wanted a little bit more variability.
Speaker 4: In the bosses.
Speaker 2: Tell you what, though, beating that filewater area that was very rewarding.
Speaker 6: I think I saved that for like really near the end, and everybody was, you know, saying it was terrible, but I don't know if I was just like upgraded enough or whatever. And I also cheesed the boss where it's like you can get the thing where you can be in the maggots, and uh so I just hung out in the maggots beating my second time, so I only had to do that run back once. And I also had the like hidden bench, so the run back was not that bad.
Speaker 2: There's hidden bench.
Speaker 6: Bench, Yeah, it is. I think the one that's like down to the left that most people talk about. By the time I played, I had one that was like so from the bench, I would go right up and left to get to the boss. On the second try, I'm just like down in the maggots, just like throwing cogflies and stuff.
Speaker 2: That's awesome to hear that that's possible. That's the one thing you do learn about this game from talking to people is it can be so different. I never got arrested or whatever taken into the Yeah I did. I've completely explored it. I apparently I did something to avoid that, and that's wow.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Yeah, so I had to.
Speaker 2: Get a very like a certain key in a completely different way. It's bananas. I really like that aspect of it.
Speaker 4: But I started playing Haities two.
Speaker 2: I won't we won't talk about that yet, but I was like, okay, I'm gonna play Hades too. I'm gonna put down Silk Song. And then I just found myself playing more Silk Song and played for another like ten hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I did the opposite where it's like I beat Act two. I got to Act three, and I had one thing in Act three where it's like I went down. I got to that first kind of boss fight in like the Belwaigh area, and I died and I was like, I don't really know how long this is gonna be but I've put forty hours into this game. I did every single quest and Act one and Act two, and it's like, I do need to jump into several embargoed games right now. And it's like, so that is if I go back, if I do go like, I do want to go back because I played so much of it and liked it so much, but like, I will be right at the beginning of Act three fresh, so.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'll get to that side.
Speaker 2: Why I have so much momentum again, It's like, yeah, I'll just try to see it through right now while playing some other stuff.
Speaker 4: It's it's so good.
Speaker 2: It is an incredible game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Greb, I think we were kind of in the same boat where it's like, I mean, I don't know if you ever had a period where you like actively disliked the first one.
Speaker 2: I just bounced off at a bunch of times. I was a little annoyed. Everyone's signet's praised as well. I wasn't quite getting it, which sure, yeah, I think now it's like, obviously I can go back and I would be able to enjoy that game so much, but this one blew me away. One of my favorite games ever. It's so good.
Speaker 4: I want to go back. Uh, I do, just like I want to play more. Maybe I don't want a hundred percent, but I know that, like I haven't seen every boss. I didn't get all the crest. There's like three of those crests that completely change your set that I never found, seven or eight total. I think like seven. I'm like, yeah, that's so I've been just I was rocking the wand Request Crest, by the way, that was my go to one. But yeah, I'm still on the first one. I'm still on the diagage with the first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of times I switch to Reaper a couple of bosses, but something about it being good, Like I can't tell that the Wanderer is better, but in terms of like survivability, and apparently they've done testing and it does the most DPS, the Wanderer one. It's like, yeah, I just like something about the challenge of that downward diagonal pogo feels like the thing. I want to experience this game first, and then I'll try the other.
Speaker 4: I love puddling as much as possible solf Wander, where I can just very quick pounce, spounce, pounce, pounce, spounce.
Speaker 3: Uh speaking about a game that see is seemingly it will take up a lot of our times. I saw Jeff Grubb playing this game this morning and Dan talking about it last night.
Speaker 4: Mega Bunk.
Speaker 6: I have been, you know, half joking for a while now about like, god, just there's too many games, you know, there's too many great games, but actually not even half.
Speaker 2: Why did you tell me to play this? I know that's the thing.
Speaker 6: It's like I already had so much on my plate that is really good stuff that I'm really into, Like I want to do more Silk Song Greb. You mentioned Hades. We'll be talking about that soon. Other games that we have that are just like huge, big, good games. And then all of a sudden, I'm sitting on the couch next to Bank and you know, we're both doing our Steam deck stuff. We got something on the background and Bank just kind of like giggles and she's like, have you seen this? And it's a game called Megabonk And just like Syrapis, it's like, oh wow, that's that's a funny name, Bunk, and then she goes, oh overwhelmingly positive on Steam. And then I just saw like a clip of it and I was like, I had not heard anything about it. It's like eight dollars and fifty cents right now if anyone's interested. And I downloaded it. And it's one of those games where immediately was texting a few people. I told you, guys in Discord, like download this, play at least a run or something. Before the show, I texted friends and stuff. It is one of those games that within like five minutes you will be like, oh, oh, I see. And I think the quickest way to describe it is like it is very much a Vampire Survivors like, but I think it is the evolution of the Conjunter Survivors.
Speaker 2: It's three D.
Speaker 6: You can jump, you can double jump, you can triple jump, you can fucking through the monkey, you can climb walls, all this all this shit. But like I have was that face jan.
Speaker 3: I didn't know this is another monkey game, I guess.
Speaker 6: So that's the thing is like this has a lot of weird personality and and here's.
Speaker 2: Real quick, there's a lot of let's be clear, there's a lot of Internet that I was straight yes, so that I just want to set the table because there are a lot of people who have a lot of questions to you, Dan and might in the chat this morning when I was playing this, Oh really yes, there it was, Oh Ken, he has sort of jokes. I wrote it.
Speaker 7: I wrote it down.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like you.
Speaker 4: Why you like this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: So for the record, like that type of internet meme humor is like kryptonite to me, and you know, ninety nine out of one hundred cases.
Speaker 7: But this game is so fucking good. I don't care.
Speaker 6: It's like it goes so heavy on it, like when he died, it's like you dead, maybe him skill issue. One of the upgrades is the Stonks bonus, and then there's the Megachad character who starts with the Aura power up and stuff like that, like it is big on that. But I'm telling you, this game is so fun. It's like it doesn't even really bother. I don't even Like the first couple of times, I was like, I don't know, I don't even care.
Speaker 7: It does not affect me.
Speaker 2: Well, it's because there's so much happening. It is like these Vampire Survivor games. It is like being inside a slot machine. It's like being inside a pinball machine. Lights and noises and everything pinging and you could just focus on that stuff. And when you're doing that, there's actually not a lot of those jokes. There's some, but it is playing you're not so you know, you'll you play as monkey and it's spelled mo O n k E, like the meme and stuff like that. But when you're playing, it's like, I'm just focused on surviving. And it looks like Gauntlet Legends but Vampire Survivors. So it already pops me really hard in terms of Oh, I just love the way it looks, and then it feels incredible.
Speaker 6: I see people in the chat saying like, oh, it looks so ugly. I love the art style.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the game isself you know that might yeah I think you say Gauntlet Legens to me. I'm like, hell, yeah, so I like that. I'm a little I'm curious what I will think of it. I like Vampire Survivors, but not nearly as much as like you two dude, Dan and uh Jeff and the internet humor stuff like, it's not as bad to me as but I don't love it. But just look at the video, like, oh, this does look fun.
Speaker 7: I mean that's the thing is like Vampire I love.
Speaker 6: I'm like one hundred percent of Vampire Survivors on three different consoles. Basically I love that game. But you know, you are kind of just moving around in that game, and I think by making this three D and then it's just like you can break it in ways, like you know, anyone who's play Vampire Survivors nose you can break it and like to where you can't even see what's happening on the screen. But imagine if also you could be adding to your abilities of what you can do. So it's like, for instance, there's a Fox that does projectile based like magic damage, and so I picked up Fox and I was like, all right, I'm gonna focus on like projectile stuff. So I got I got that, and then I like found a banana banana ring thing that does like boomerang stuff. So I'm shooting magic and boomerangs everywhere. Then I'm leveling up agility and double jumps and speed, and so I'm now at this point I've got like a five jump I can do, and then I get like an epic item that makes me do more damage while I'm airborne, so I'm just like quintuple jumping across the map, just like shooting bananas and magic down on everyone, and like it's fun and awesome, and like the monkey has an ability where he can just like climb on walls and stuff. And since it's three D, you can just escape or get up to a shrine or something easily instead of having to go around.
Speaker 2: Like it's there's more variety in the characters.
Speaker 6: I think that's maybe a benefit to its kind of a reverence, is that, like Vampire Survivors, most of them kind of fit that like kind of Castlevania Contra type character mold, you know, than the among Us stuff or whatever. But this is just like, okay, this is the robot western guy that starts with revolvers.
Speaker 2: Here he's gondoard like with with sunglasses. And I'm like, you know what, that one works for me? The internet joke that gets me.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And they all have like a slide button too, so you can like slide down hills and so like the Night surfs on his sword, you know, the monkey just slides on his ass. You know, one of them surfboards or skateboards and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like that, the skeleton skateboards. He has a skateboard.
Speaker 4: The whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and even like see of the jokes like I mentioned, like you know, the Mega Chad character, Like he's just a big, beefy, you know, Muscle March looking dude, and he's got the aura ability, which the aura is just garlic from garls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm looking at him right now. In fact, the trailer for the game up was with him doing the Randy Orton pose, so yes, yes, So it's like.
Speaker 6: It is fun to be like, Okay, you're just this beefy dude walking around with your aura power up, just like he does this strut through like all these enemies, and it's like it works, it looks weird, it's funny, Like I'm willing to look past all the Internet stuff for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it's the game makes it easy to ignore because it just focuses so much.
Speaker 4: On being fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like there's just something about that feeling of upgrading your sword to the point where it's ten instant attacks back to back that are zooming away from your character up to like twenty five feet and then you get a bonus for like attacking in the air or whatever, so you're just jumping constantly. It's it's really good, and then like you know, there's a lot of math happening where you're like, Okay, if I go get this power up right there, I know I had the shop over there, and that'll give me something that'll give me a multiplier if I go to get this bonus that makes everyone drop more gold, and you just start plotting out these things in your head and it's like you're always busy doing something fun in the game. It's yeah, it really hit me. The first run Dan, I was like, Okay, I get it. It's like a Vampire Survivors. And then I played one more run and then I'm like, oh, I'm gonna stream this, and then I was like I'll do this for half an hour and ended up doing like six or seven runs or something like that.
Speaker 4: I couldn't stop.
Speaker 6: I definitely had the thing last night where I was intending on playing any of these other games and it's like I was doing the one more run thing for a while.
Speaker 7: Playing this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's tremendous, and like it's the actual like objectives and stuff.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: The Vampire Survivers it was typically you know, survived the thirty minutes. Then they added a bunch of stuff with the DLC and everything. Here, it's like, you know, find a boss, decide when you're gonna spawn the boss. It's more like ten minute sequences, So you can spawn the boss three minutes in if you feel powerful enough, but you can also spawn it after the ten minutes, but that's when like the timer's up and it starts bringing in these like stronger waves of enemies to kill you.
Speaker 7: So there's like a final strategy with that.
Speaker 6: And then it does the thing between runs the Vampire Strivers did well, where it's got unlocks in quests and so like you're getting silver during the runs that you use to per just new characters, new items, new tomes, things like that. Outside of the runs. You know, when you start, you're just gonna have two weapon slots, but I see two lock slots next to that, so obviously at some point I'm gonna be able to have four weapons maybe more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's I mean, it's it's doing all the things Vampire Survivors did in in a different way that I'm really enjoying.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, hell yeah, looks cool.
Speaker 3: I dislike all of you for putting another game on my radar that I will not have time for speaking about time, Jeff Becklar, I think it's time for the Spooky Corner of podcast.
Speaker 4: Well, I need to leave.
Speaker 8: It is the start of fall, I'll have you know. It is summer died a summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thinking about well, I mean we're gonna be talking more about time probably next week, once we can talk about a specific game, but we can talk about Cronos.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back, Lar, you got an update for us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just you know, I made it over the fence and I just want to let everyone know I got over that and I survived getting all done. Yeah, that's how I did it.
Speaker 2: Mike, uh patch to come.
Speaker 8: Uh you know, I think when I was playing that, you know, this is not me walking back the criticism of that game, because all of my grievance is still.
Speaker 2: Absolutely you have a little something else update.
Speaker 8: Look, I think this game, you know, this game is truly very scary in a way that I'm sort of looking the other way on a lot of the things that that gum me up with it. I think the game also has a really uh tough time kind of like telling you or demonstrating conveying what it wants from you.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't want.
Speaker 8: To say like, oh, there's a right or wrong way to play this game, but there certainly is a way where, like, you play this game a certain way and your life.
Speaker 2: Will be that much easier in it.
Speaker 8: And I'm now that I've kind of like, so, what I'm getting at is it took too long this game to say what it needs for me. It took way too long. It took like four six hours or so to finally like agree to the contract that this game was offering. I'm playing it. I've decided I'm going to see it to the end. I think the world building, I think some of that story stuff is probably the main reason I am carrying along. But I also have reached a point now where I'm not as handcuffed as I was, and I just think it's worth talking or worth mentioning that, like, this is one of those weird instances where I definitely hit a wall or a tiny little.
Speaker 4: Gate and.
Speaker 8: It it for whatever reason, I was compelled to kind of like give it one more shot. And thanks to that one more shot, I now find myself in a situation where it's like, God, damn, I'm already what fourteen hours into this game. I think I'm just gonna finish it. I think I'm just gonna like see it through and that kind of never happened to me where it hasn't happened to me in a long while. So it's still very much like a six TOCI. I haven't had a ten for me, you know, although with the amount of games I play, that might be enough to get yourself on the tab ten and uh you know, yeah, so I definitely have have have softened the the the overall kind of feeling of like this game's making me mad. But I do think that does say something about the game's kind of inability to like say what it wanted from me. But yeah, there you go, just a little Kronos update. Uh, it's it's it is truly the enemies in this game are truly some of the most fucked up abominations. Uh, you're gonna find it's the.
Speaker 2: Scary juice that you're saying is pulling you through.
Speaker 8: It's that, and it's the it's the sort of like very ominous and strange kind of story where it does have this twelve Monkey's aspect to it where you're just like to.
Speaker 4: Tie this up. I think I love twelve Monkeys. Yeah, should I try it if I look like if that's one of my favorite.
Speaker 8: Movies, if twelve Monkeys is one of your favorite movies and you love accordions, No, it doesn't have the accordions into a monkey. But yeah, I mean they they get to a place. You know, all the characters in this game, you just don't give a shit about anybody, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to interrupt this. Whole time, you've brought up been talking about Cronos, and you've brought up the comparison to Twelve Monkeys.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In my head, I thought it was a different movie, and I thought it was the Brendan Fraser two thousand and one move Monkey Bone, Monkey Bone.
Speaker 2: Wow, Oh my god, I want a Monkey Bone game, Open World Monkey Bone game. God, was there not a Super Nintendo Monkey Bone game?
Speaker 6: There was no no. That would have been like PS one era. There's definitely I cannot believe.
Speaker 8: I cannot believe you've reduced the entirety of film down to just the word monkey.
Speaker 2: And you're like, I saw that twice in theaters.
Speaker 4: Monkey Bone.
Speaker 3: Yeah big, you're a big Chris Catan head.
Speaker 2: Oh huge, huge. There was a time where it was like the law to go see every Brandan Fraser movie.
Speaker 4: Like I I didn't like Brendon Fraser and I refuse to see Monkey Bone.
Speaker 2: What a weird he'll can die on. I don't know what to tell you about it. He read this like I know how to react to the law and I'm a bad boy.
Speaker 8: That makes no sense because he is arguably one of the most likable people to ever act.
Speaker 4: I trust me, people weren't saying that stuff as much back then. So when there was this big like Brandon Fraser is the greatest human who ever lived, thing well, and I think it was a joke between me and my friends how much I disliked him, I felt very uncomfortable. I was gonna be found out.
Speaker 8: He certainly has had like a real good, charitable five years or so, right where like he seems to be back and embraced in a way that like, I bet.
Speaker 4: He didn't even see coming. Remember the scene in that one movie where he wished for a bigger dick, but his dick was too big and he had to like be like, oh, I'm not quite that big, please.
Speaker 2: I think about it every day. I remember that up.
Speaker 8: But no, Jen, we're talking about twelve monkeys. The Terry Gilliam, Uh, Brad Pitt, They're going and made but Dazzled too, Bruce Willis. I think Catherine Kerner is in it too. Oh no, no, no, not her. I always met her watching.
Speaker 2: But Dazzled, like three times in theaters. I think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I looked at look at the poster a lot.
Speaker 2: It's Madeline Stow. Sorry, yeah, told monkeys, yes, monkey Bone.
Speaker 4: Have you seen Twelve Monkeys? Jen?
Speaker 3: No, because this whole time I thought Twelve Monkeys was a monkey.
Speaker 2: You need to understand why we all had crushes on Madelin Stowe. Go watch it.
Speaker 4: Yes, are there monkeys in that movie.
Speaker 7: There's like demon monkeys.
Speaker 2: They're like in cages for like ten seconds in like a flash.
Speaker 6: I think, look at the DVD cover this movie and tell me don't want to watch Monkey Bone?
Speaker 4: No, no, okay, monkeys monkeys? Yeah, I know about the claym shit monkey and monkey bo Jen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's worth watching Twelve Monkeys now.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's it's a classic.
Speaker 2: It's a classic.
Speaker 7: It seems a few years ago. Still very good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I'll do my homework.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, I'm surprised.
Speaker 8: I don't know, grub maybe it's worth you checking out.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, it's already so it's like I might as well Monkey Bone. Yeah you've got Wait, Chronos is on switch?
Speaker 4: Is there.
Speaker 2: Probably one switch it's on switch to, But apparently it's a pretty good version of it.
Speaker 4: Probably has a good portal switch to. Yeah, that's impressive.
Speaker 8: Schemes intensely blue, you know, demanding you know, where's my switch? Anyway, Chronos?
Speaker 4: There you go. But that was a weird cut discussion.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Yeah, I wonder why that happened.
Speaker 7: Podcast is having about.
Speaker 8: It, and I wonder that's where we went wrong.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm going to say this confidently. I think we're the only video game podcast to bring up Monkey Bone in the last time.
Speaker 2: You just wait, Ben Hanson is going to do some ship.
Speaker 6: I feel like I brought it up on several podcasts. I've definitely brought up Dazzled with Mike Maharty several times.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 3: Uh, to continue the spooky season, Jeff backall, you and I have been playing Silent Hill after.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, so, uh do you want to start or do you want me to start?
Speaker 3: Are you start? Big Doug?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 8: This uh, this game's really good, you know, it's actually like I, I kind of didn't really know what to expect from this, and I think the hangover playing the remake of Silent Hill too was sort of just like very much kind of colored my expectations going into it because it was the first time I played I Silent Hill game in a while, because there just hasn't been anything like in that franchise that existed or is worth playing in in a great long while. But this game is a really interesting evolution of what of what Silent Hill sort of is. And I you know, I've seen a lot of people say like, oh, it's sort of Silent.
Speaker 2: Hill in name only.
Speaker 4: I kind of I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't agree with that. I think it's it's certainly not the Silent Hill that you remember from the PlayStation these but it is definitely a really interesting evolution of what this kind of like action horror, and this certainly I think, you know, there is a good amount of puzzle solving, There is a good amount of creepy Factor stuff, but action is there is a lot of action.
Speaker 2: In it too.
Speaker 8: You are fighting a lot of monsters in this. I think the overall energy of this game though, is what has me kind of like just you know, letting it wash over me. It is, you know, like the the entire esthetic and the sort of stylings of of Japanese culture and and the whole uh set pieces and areas that you explore is really intoxicating in a way that I can't do anything but just be obsessed with all of the nuances and attention to detail and you know, really painstakingly specif art and artifacts that are hidden and in the world, and you know, it really is just a excellent combination of things that has me just like I love this man. I I cannot stop playing I Steam says I. I've played like five hours of it, but my game clock is more like three. I don't know what that's about. Steam clock is they gotta get their figure that out, like they don't how many money put it together? You know, just can't you just extract the game clock and make that be the thing? Anyway?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you think, Jan?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Jan?
Speaker 2: What do you think about Silent Hill?
Speaker 8: F is the last thing I said before we lost Jen forever raptured.
Speaker 4: He went to have it without us.
Speaker 8: If you watch the playback, you can actually see him looking up to the heavens.
Speaker 2: The Catholic gang signs or whatever they're called. GENI flex what.
Speaker 7: Catholic the Neil and you got the sign of the Cross?
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we don't know what Jen thinks about Silent Hill f but I believe we're gonna be recording a quick look today or tomorrow hopefully as power does return, and we'll get to it.
Speaker 2: But there you go.
Speaker 8: That's what I'm feeling regarding the game, Like it is really surprising. I will not lie. I think there was a lot of eh, I'll say, reservations I had about this one, and I'm I'm glad, delighted to be proved wrong, not wrong, but maybe just have have my attention corrected.
Speaker 4: And it's pretty wild. Like I think everyone's really skeptical about this whole revival of Silent Hill, and there was like some weird like live show decision thing that no one liked. But you know, the big stuff Silent Hill to remake above expectations, and this one seems well above expectations too, Like Silent Hill is actually in the best place it's been since the PS two Ara ruh right now, it's yea like.
Speaker 2: Company is in the best situation it's been in for a long time. Maybe not that long, but for quite some time. I mean, this is the real bell weather for me, that this that they nailed this one. It's like, oh, Konami can make video games again, like Meadal Gear, Solid Delta, Sneakier one to one remake. Yeah, sure, you better get that right. You have it all right there in front of you, Silent Hill to remake even a little bit. It's but like you know, it's great to see them trying with those to do a whole new Silent Hill game and deliver for a fan base that is notoriously picky. Maybe the nice way of putting it, I think that is a This is a real good sign that they know how to navigate their own franchises in a really solid way. Uh, Becka, can you give me like a rundown of like the vibes if they if it's if it's not quite feeling like Soundhill, which again I don't think we think is a criticism, but like, what are they going for here? Is it's sort of the ring sort of thing. I don't even know what to expect.
Speaker 8: A good question, and I think the one the one bit of it was the one characteristic of this game that's maybe not syncing with me in the best way is the overall kind of story. Maybe I'm just a little too early on to have it really kind of register. But you sort of play as this schoolgirl who has conflicts with her friends in her town, and you know, I'm really not at a point yet where I'm like fully appreciating the gravity.
Speaker 2: Of that dynamic.
Speaker 8: You know, I want to say, man, I can't really remember the year it's trying to take place in.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm fully up.
Speaker 8: I want to say, like sixties.
Speaker 2: Xbox aeron chat say nineteen sixties Japanese feminist movement vibes.
Speaker 8: Okay, Yeah, so I mean, you know, and I do think. You know, I'm playing it with English subs, so it's Japanese language English because I'm an anime expert and that's how I watch all my anime. Of course we knew this is how I had the jestice, but it Yeah, I think that's the one part that I'm just it's it's not I'm not fully drifting with the story, but as far as like Silent Hill and what you think in your mind when you think Silent Hill will you obviously think like a very foggy town and you fee and you uh, you know disturbingly, uh, you know sort of like spasming bloody mannequin enemies, right, like that's who you're and you get that. You definitely all those silent hill boxes get ticked in this game. And I think, uh, I do think it is uh, it is sort of the overall vibe of it has been uh brought up to the sort of contemporary expectation of like, oh, I want to be able to like save a lot. I want to I want to have different kind of like upgrading paths. There is an interesting sort of dynamic to which you have to play the games. So you have a focus meter, and you have stamina and health, and the focus meter is what allows you to like zoom like really laser in on enemies, uh, increase your chances of like high crit damage strikes, and observe their sort of behavior so that you can find the right place to attack. So I think that's interesting. But that is there is a cool down there, like you can.
Speaker 2: Draw all of your all of your focus meter there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: And the stamina meter, you know, is something that you have to kind of like uh, spin that plate as well. So I think that stuff kind of is so far in my experience, has been received really well. It's it's a it's not too much where you're sort of babysitting all of these meters, but you certainly feel a bit more of the pressure. And yeah, you know that that's overall kind of like the sort of broad strokes of what you're going through in this thing. It's you know right now, like, yeah, you have a map, but like game does feel a little bit more linear than maybe what Silent Hill has sort of offered in the past. Again, that's take that for being about four hours into it. But yeah, you know, I I feel like it's a really I think it's a really difficult uh threading of a needle if you're trying to bring this thing that has such a very specific expectation, especially coming off the heels of that adapt that remake rather and and have it like feel different enough and updated enough. Like I think that is really you know, uh, leading the charge for how impressed I am by what this overall kind of experience is.
Speaker 4: It's awesome. Now.
Speaker 8: The only thing I would also say is like it's also not as scary as I want it to be right, and they've they've not that it's been watered down, but it certainly has a a polish on it that is not as horrific.
Speaker 2: It's that you said the comparison to Chronos or do you think just like just you know, by itself in a vacuum, you would feel.
Speaker 4: That way in a vacuum.
Speaker 8: But it is funny, very there is this overlap with Kronos where it does have this like breathing flesh bubbles kind of everywhere, which you're just like the aesthetic Yeah, yeah, like you know, paint my walls in that, but yeah, you know, it does have this interesting sort of like flowery horror dynamic too, which I think is an interesting kind of spin on on on doing it. So yeah, you know, I really really that feel like this game had no business making this much of an impact, but it is truly special and definitely worth playing for sure.
Speaker 2: Like we're in the last couple of years, there's been a handful like Spooky and like you'd like Soundhill to last year, A lot was that last year? Yeah, do you like is this like ann slot into a similar tier as that or.
Speaker 4: Above it below it?
Speaker 8: Like what do you think, I think for me right now, it's it's right there, neck and neck, I think, especially to see, you know, having gone through what i'll call these areas levels already, like almost a half a dozen of them, now I kind of know the cake. They're bacon and I'm into it and I and I'm getting what I got from that remake last year and different developer and everything, right, but it's yeah, it really is doing it for me and the best time you hear to be playing this kind of game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an eighty seven on Open Critic. People seem to really like it.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's probably a position to be the new spooky game for this Halloween season, right, which is kind of thinks Dounhill too basically had that slot last year also, so it's just kind of smart the games around.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and maybe you know I'm playing it on PC. There are such striking visuals and character designs too. There's this one character you sort of follow, this fox guy, and he's got this mask that's almost sort of like stitched into his face, but not in like a gruesome way, but just really striking attention to detail and wardrobe and art direction. It's like really really really polished stuff.
Speaker 2: It's it.
Speaker 4: It looks phenomenal.
Speaker 2: I have this one as well. I've been meaning to play. I've not touched it because I'm very busy, but you know, it's not October yet. This does feel like one where it's like where I will be looking for a spooky game and I'll probably end up picking this one, probably over Kronos. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think if you're if you're c song between the two, I think this is a no brainer. Really, I saw someone in Chad ask this and someone on a Blue sky. If you need to have any kind of like Silent Hill fluency going into this, absolutely not. This is this is accessible in a really good way.
Speaker 2: So like that that means fully standalone?
Speaker 8: Or does that mean, like I think, fully standalone? I mean like you will get tips of the hat right if you are if you speak the Silent Hill language. But if you're going into this having no idea, you're you're gonna be fine, just displayable, excellent.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you liked it.
Speaker 8: Hell yeah, all right, Well I'm running the show now, so that means we're just gonna talk about hockey for the next hour. No, No, we're not. That's actually when we come back after this break. Just kidding, it'll be the news with Jeff Grubb. Stick around.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Rub It's okay, just look at it. Okay, it's fine.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 2: Wait, damn, what are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Like like existentially or what do you mean?
Speaker 3: No, Dan, like here a giant bomb covering games?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Oh what I do for a living?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm here because of Game Informer.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: Way back in nineteen ninety three, I saw a Game in Former magazine and subscribed for the first time, and it has been a huge part of my life ever since, from you know, working the register at Funko Land and selling subscriptions to starting working there full time in two thousand and nine. Game Informer has been there for me the whole time. They mean a ton to me, so it hurt me, just like I know it hurt a lot of you. When the unexpected news came down not too long ago that Game Informer was shutting down.
Speaker 7: But nay, fair not, I say that's right.
Speaker 6: Game Informer is back, and with one hundred percent of the staff that was there when it shut down.
Speaker 3: Now, Danny boy, I see that you're holding a magazine right there. Tell me about how that page feels.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you I have held hundreds upon hundreds of Game Informer magazines from nineteen ninety three to today, and this is, without a doubt, the best I'm feeling this right now.
Speaker 6: This is this is a smooth cover, This is a thick, nice paper here, the print is just this is this is a wonderful quality print magazine.
Speaker 7: It makes my heart feel good.
Speaker 2: And I know that Game Informer is a team that I can rely on to say something substantial about games and the people who make them, because GII has a stellar crew of editors.
Speaker 4: These are people I love.
Speaker 2: To have on the couch at Giant Bomb at night over at Summer Game Fest. It's people I can always rely to have something interesting to say. That's why I know when they have those excellent cover stories, just like they always did and always will continue to do so, it's going to be some of the best coverage in video games.
Speaker 3: And another fun botus a Game Informer donates five percent of every subscription purchase directly to Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Speaker 6: You know, earlier this year, the future seemed very uncertain for both Game Informer and Giant Bomb. That's putting it mildly, and as someone whose life and gaming hobby has been greatly impacted by both of those outlets, I am thrilled that we are both back and doing our thing online, in your podcast, apps and in print in your hand. That is right, gaming news, reviews, everything in between, sent straight to your mailbox every month. To subscribe, go to Game Informer dot com slash subscribe now magazines.
Speaker 8: All right, we're back on the Giant Bomb Cast.
Speaker 4: Folks. You know what time it is, h It's time for the news.
Speaker 8: Jeff Grubb take it away.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see here. I have a bunch of news, including thirty five minute PlayStation state of play confirmed, including house Mark's Sorrows. PlayStation will hold a state of play live stream on Wednesday, September twenty fourth at two pm Pacific time five pm easter In. The event will last over thirty five minutes and feature reveals and news from third party and indie developers, as well as updates from PlayStation studios. This includes an extended look at Sorrows, Housemark's new title arriving next year, basically the follow up to Returnal starring Rahul Kohli that's the one we got confirmed about what else might be up there. They did say updates from other PlayStation studios. Do we hear about fair games? I don't know. I gotta say one thing real quick. I like these the reason like state of play still, even though they're going off to be disappointing. Thirty five minutes is such a breath of fresh air after so many like a Jeff Keeley is gonna sit you down for two hours.
Speaker 8: I was just about to say this, Yeah, folks, thirty five max Okay, Like, let's be honest.
Speaker 6: Kirby air ride and we need a couple hours, two distinct forty five hour ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, my power almost went out. Well you're reading that? Are you serious? Almost go out? Everything went rapture, The lights went out. I heard beeping in the kitchen. What did I stayed on what's the computer? And the lights came back on. So okay, I've ever been raptured yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The second I talked about God at the top of this, I believe in God. Now that is the clean read we've all been waiting for them. I just don't think it's gonna believe you the way you're like looking up, like do you hear me?
Speaker 4: Panic?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: And I was like, I believe it got Oh wait, I have a power supply back up.
Speaker 4: I forget hey yeah, state of play. Uh, I kind of forgot about that house Bark game Grab and I are a little bit unique ish and that we weren't. We weren't super hot on returnal, but I'd be super willing to play the new game for a.
Speaker 6: Sure tremendous game. One of the best PS five exclusives, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like all eight of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'll.
Speaker 2: Love Ratchet and Clank, but yeah, sure, oh it's better.
Speaker 7: Ratically, I think.
Speaker 6: I think it's one of my favorite rogue lights. Like it's incredible, It's really good.
Speaker 2: I like it a lot.
Speaker 8: I'm curious to see what this evolution one will be.
Speaker 2: I mean, I bet, I bet they get a lot of the stuff right that I didn't love, which is it felt a bit samy each run, and I bet this time they'll like, look to the hadeses and they look like some of the other ones that are a little bit better at offering up a variability in the builds, and they'll nail it. I'm really expecting to nail it with this because the gameplay was all that stuff, super solid and the atmosphere, and now they have Raju Kohli.
Speaker 4: Uh, that's great. I like that guy a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What else do we expecting to see at this state of play? I think I'll just reiterate I do think that that God of War to two point five D metro aid Vanua game probably should show up here. That was supposed to come out this year. It's coming out next year now internally that date moved, so I bet they give us an update on that. Between that and Sorrows, they could be like, that's the first party stuff and then here's a bunch of partners partner games for thirty minutes. But they could also this is where a Wolverine could finally show up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to see something about that one. If not here, then I maybe just at the Game Awards. I would like to see something here. It's been a while we haven't seen anything since the leak. I think we all assume this is going to be their big twenty twenty six game. Yeah, see a sign of life. Let's see something to get excited about with that one.
Speaker 6: Yep, I did put on the calendar for tomorrow. We should do a talkover of this happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't have anything in that slot anyhow, right so.
Speaker 7: No, no, well we had a meeting, but like, you know, nothing live, right.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, fantastic, we'll talk over him. I'm looking forward to it. Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Nail, these games make that God of War metro Evan game look solid. I'll take that. That sounds like a fun time and then you know, one or two surprises and that'll be a good state to play for me.
Speaker 4: Fair Games, Fair Games. There was that. Uh.
Speaker 2: I guess I should point out there was a on Glar gaming Leaks and Rumors, the subreddit uh for leaks and Rumors. There was a four Chan post that got reposted there that fair Games has been canceled. Guys, that's where Sony announces everything is on four Chan. Sure that's not true.
Speaker 4: Not yet.
Speaker 2: Listen, that game might get canceled. I don't know, but they have not. They've not canceled it yet. Did they remove the dollar sign? I keep forgetting that.
Speaker 6: They made it bigger. Is it all caps and dollars sign?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, they made the rest of the letter letter smaller.
Speaker 2: It made the dollars sign bigger, and do.
Speaker 4: You think it's a bad sign for the game. We don't see it here. Uh yeah, but I mean I don't expect to see it here. I listen.
Speaker 2: I think that game does get canceled eventually. It but that four chan rumor is just a made up thing that's not true yet. Okay, that's got to be a tough one. They have not canceled yet. They are still working on it, so maybe they have some intention of showing it off again if they.
Speaker 4: Just keep hoping that Sony is too concerned about Marathon to even remember their games long enough to cancel it at the moment.
Speaker 2: Chances Oh my god, it's actually in all caps with a dollar sign.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 2: Worse than.
Speaker 7: Like, that's my favorite stupid?
Speaker 2: Is that a lowercase? I for the lowercase? I am all caps famous boy?
Speaker 8: But that was also maybe more of a product of its time. I don't know, you're right though, it is all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I'm proud to be like, we don't respect your style.
Speaker 6: Guy, No, we're just going to write it like a word with a capital letter.
Speaker 2: But I'm a grown man.
Speaker 4: Please. The worst about this the worst for me as a writer was that Warcraft does not have an inner cap see and StarCraft, Uh, that's really frustrating. How much to go to jail? Yes, agreed?
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: Microsoft raised the prices of the xboxes again. Did when did.
Speaker 8: When did Microsoft start wanting to like what did they start caring about making money on Xbox?
Speaker 4: They had to start spending more money on AI?
Speaker 2: Like it literally is that simple. They like, we want to put the money that we are making into AI, and it turns out that's actually getting kind of expensive and we can't just like for being a two to three trillion dollar company, we still have to like earmark this money from somewhere and so, hey, video games, we don't care about you anymore. Justify yourself by actually making money, and so like they can't sell these consoles at a loss. I guess it sucks. It's stupid, it's terrible. If you were like, wait, you talked about this, No, that was four months ago where they raised the price once. This is a an additional price increase. So the Xbox Series X is like six hundred and fifty dollars. Now the two terror by Xbox Series X Galaxy Edition is eight hundred dollars. That's not an Xbox Pro. That's the series X eight hundred dollars for that.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: What is the mood among like you know, because for most of the last I don't know, twenty plus years, there have been you know, very much like you know, Xbox fans like this is my brand, like you know, like any console it has is the fanboys? Are they It's like, I don't know, is it grim They're not like I mean telling themselves things are great.
Speaker 8: Or sorry to interrupt grub Like if you're a fanboy and you're that brain broken, right, like you're okay with just being like, yeah, hey, tariffs, tariffs suck, you know, like.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is that this is the This is just the United States? Is that where this happened.
Speaker 2: It is tariff's But like you're right that you have to read a layer deeper than that. If you are like serious about selling consoles, if you are in this business for the long haul, you have to sort of take some things. That's the cost of doing business. And Sony's doing everything they can to avoid raising prices, right they like did that lower model the reduced version of the of the PlayStation five in Europe as a smaller storage in it. You know, Nintendo keeps raising the prices of accessories to nickel and dime, their biggest fans and stuff like that, and Microsoft's like, we don't really care if you buy an Xbox. Maybe it's kind of a half a hassle if you do. And that is pretty apparent now to everyone, including the biggest fan boys, and they all I think they have talked themselves into being like, we believe in the new strategy of putting things out everywhere, and Xbox can live on as this platform that is on PlayStation. I don't know how how much they.
Speaker 4: Believe that, but whatever. Even like gosh back a year ago or so, Jeff, when you were first saying like, hey, here's the Wars on the table to go to PlayStation, and like at that point they still had kind of fight in them, the fanboys to get mad about that. They want to get mad about that anymore. If there's something similar coming.
Speaker 2: If Halo gets announcer PlayStation, that has that happened Actually I can't remember now we got gears now, yeah, get gears yep.
Speaker 4: But if they look at like it.
Speaker 2: Will not be the same thing, people would be like, yeah, that's this is what this company is now.
Speaker 7: Nobody would be surprised.
Speaker 4: Now for the most part, yes, the most part, no one would be surprised, Yes, sure, yeah, it just it It feels like the death throws of a dying something because you know there will be Xbox publishing for sure. You know they're doing you know they have call due, they have a blizzard that do you have these boxes? And it is just like, you know, they talk about a new console, but I just have such a hard time imagining what that looks like, what the sales pitch for it could possibly be let alone, what the price for it is. I I almost wonder if they're going to go through with it, are they really going to actually make a next gen Xbox right now? If they do, like, is it super boutique?
Speaker 2: Is it a one thousand dollars console just for the true diehards, the ones that will show out any amount of money for it. Maybe that's what they're Maybe that's what they were planning to do. Anyhow, Now if you like, I think I'm more on your side where it's like, I don't even know if they go like follow.
Speaker 4: Through with it.
Speaker 2: This Microsoft feels like the version of Microsoft that's like Yeah, we thought about doing another console, but we're just gonna like be in a situation like this in five years where we have to keep raising the price because things are just gonna keep getting more expensive and we have to make more money from a smaller audience. That's not gonna be worth it to us. They probably still do another one, but I don't know, go ahead.
Speaker 8: And that's also assuming that they come out of the inevitable AI collapse where they're like in a position of like, yeah, we're still gonna move forward, right, Like it seems to be there as a growing consensus that like the entirety of the Americans time market is being propped up on AI.
Speaker 6: Is Microsoft as big on AI as like other huge They're one of the biggest.
Speaker 2: Ones, their open AI's biggest client.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so is that like you know, they've got the co pilot thing and things like that. Is it mainly that or like what is there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But like you know, I'll try to like give a quick anecdote about someone who's writing about Satia Nadella, the CEO. He apparently like has eight AI h stead he works with all day to make all his decisions while we're running Microsoft and like this is the company that does like insists that people use AI agents and their workflow and stuff like that, and show how they're doing it, like they have King doing that. They're like they like want AI in everything. They have already put it in their you know, the co pilot stuff's already their browns, roots and windows. Yeah, they're they're super involved in that. And they are a big investor in open ai. So if it open Ai.
Speaker 4: Succeeds, they succeed all this other stuff.
Speaker 2: It is the big new strategy of like how to unlock new growth for these companies. Whether or not they get there. I mean, there's going to be a downfall before they do get there. If they do get there, and that's still a huge question in the meantime as as far as you know, games go, as far as the Xbox goes, certainly momentum will carry them a certain amount because they were going to make another console. They probably are just because that was the plan. And despite like layoffs, despite cutbacks. At a certain point it's like, well, we're not getting rid of this whole brand, and we already start to making this thing.
Speaker 4: We have a partnership with AMD. We're going to see this stuff through.
Speaker 2: I just don't. I just don't.
Speaker 4: Their heart isn't into it, and that's obvious.
Speaker 2: They are positioning this thing so that people won't want to buy an Xbox. It's kind of no, there's no other way to look at just the way this is breaking down, and you know that's the next story. Costco quietly removes the Xbox section from its US and UK websites. Costco has quietly removed all Xbox products from its US and UK websites, with no search results or dedicated sections for the brands. Nintendo and Sony products, including the Switch, Switch to and PlayStation five, remain available. This change was first noticed by a reset reset era user, and Reddit users reportedly observed the absence of Xbox products last month. To me, this is like it's probably like not a lot of people buy an Xboxes. But also you can't rely on like the price maintaining consistency. So they're like, we don't even want to deal with this, and we're Costco. We have a certain reputation. We don't want to deal with these things going up every four months.
Speaker 4: It's going to be expensive to just stock them now too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, And so I think that that's wild, right, But I think this is like the you know, this is telling the whole story here to a certain degree. It's like they are not happy to be in this business, and it feels like and certainly they don't seem to care to fix that, or if they did, that is long gone.
Speaker 6: Do you think it's more likely that, you know, ten years from now, Microsoft is in a current Sega situation or just out of games.
Speaker 4: Now they like.
Speaker 2: So it's very different from Sega in terms because they have two of the biggest games in the world Minecraft, Call of Duty, honestly that they have World of Warcraft, they have Candy Cross Saga. This is they have things that print money and many of those things called Duty, Minecraft, especially World Warcraft. To a certain degree, they are platforms unto themselves in an era where the video game is the platform. You know, kids do not think of Xbox as a platform. They think of Fortnite and Roadblocks and Minecraft as the platform where they go in and they find other games inside of the game. Microsoft's got a pretty decent head start there, so they're kind of I think that is their revision of the future is we will have the software as a service. The product is the service and not the hardware, and so they are trying to push these things so that like they can be in a situation where they can maybe put an Xbox Store on any device, including a PlayStation or a switch, and get the full one percent of the revenue for selling something without giving a cut to these other companies. They're a long way off from that, but that's where the way regulation is going, at least on cell phones, and I think Microsoft will eventually try to argue maybe something similar should happen on consoles so that, Yeah, it's they'll still be in games. They did invest a lot and they stand to make a lot of money from these things. It's just not the future is not the console business in general, and especially for Xbox.
Speaker 4: Maybe feature more. You know, we're getting the Xbox branded rog ally, right, or things that are Xbox branded. That next console might basically be a glorifyed PC.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 8: And don't worry, Dan, when all of these companies take their losses with AI, we will bail them out.
Speaker 7: Giant bomb against that. I'm voting against that.
Speaker 4: All right, Let's keep going.
Speaker 8: That really was a dagger for you didn't.
Speaker 4: Like those I just dial a little bit that was yeah, oh god, he's right, because the whole economy is built on.
Speaker 7: Why would taxes pay for company failing.
Speaker 2: Well, we've done it before, Dan, because so many jobs and so much of the economy is intermingled and stuff like that will be the like, there's a chance we might not do it, but we've done it for banks. We've done it for banks.
Speaker 8: All we do is for banks an airline company, Guys, they.
Speaker 2: Say they're the companies. Why do we have to pay for it?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 2: You got some points there, for sure, you know what. I'm okay with a certain point of bailing them out, but maybe like prosecute people who made bad decisions and caused the crisises in the first place.
Speaker 4: Well, we don't do any of that either. So fun times people.
Speaker 6: Bring up two thousand and eight. I'll be honestly, you have no idea what happened in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Well, just honestly, if.
Speaker 6: You guys saw it on a plane, I forgot sequential event of your entire adult life.
Speaker 2: Nine eleven.
Speaker 8: Honestly, I know their movies and their entertainment. But Adam McKay does have like a pretty good run like American quasi documentary. Yeah, watch mice and watch Uh Big Short.
Speaker 2: Procession is everything. It's set up everything, Like when we did not prosecute the people that did that, that's when the government really broke. That is when we truly actually lost our way.
Speaker 7: It had something new with houses. I remember that from the Only Houses.
Speaker 4: Watch the Big Short that's your homework. Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 2: Basically the short version is banks lied to the people that like assess, Like when they bundle all the mortgages together, the banks lied to the people that assess that those people were okay with them, like they were making money from it. And then the banks just kept doing that over and over and bundling back together. It's not it's not in trouble.
Speaker 7: Why did we have to pay the money.
Speaker 2: Because it fucked us all so bad? Yeah? Why are they allowed to do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Because they have a lot of money and it's horseship.
Speaker 8: It's frustrating hearing you said, just just just just watch, just watch it again, all right?
Speaker 4: Hito koj and Jordan Peel's o D gets first proper trailer and the PT vibes are strong. Uh, did you guys get a chance to catch up?
Speaker 2: With any of this. Coach of a stream from last night, three hours long. There was quite a bit of it. Okay, what did he have to say about A Yeah, he has some idea. He's like, it's gonna make it cheaper because I don't have to pay as many people to make games for real. I was, Oh, your hero.
Speaker 12: Okay, mister Disney, Yeah, you're right, Disney Disney Redemption are totally.
Speaker 4: Took you long enough to stop watching w W A Internet.
Speaker 2: So far. I think MIC's up three to two.
Speaker 4: Can score here?
Speaker 7: God damn it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll go through this this rundown of some stuff. Coach unveiled details about several projects. At the tenth anniversary celebration of Kochma Productions. He revealed the first trailer for his horror game OD, developed with Jordan Peel and published by Xbox Game Studios Good Luck with That. The trailer, subtitled Knock, features Sophia Lillis and evokes PT Coach. You know, like the trailers, like she is supposed to go light some candles to do something, like like there's a car that is light the candles to do something and it's like great out. It's like I like the like redacted stuff like all like blurring, so like that was cool. Yeah, that was It's a cool effect. And then she likes some candles and then some hands come out and grab her and she looks super scared and looks kind of awesome, and it does have strong PT vibes, and I'm like, oh, man, coach doing a scary game actually is something we still have not really had. This is exciting.
Speaker 6: The close up on the face, like, oh my god, with the eye movements and stuff like that looked fucking.
Speaker 2: This looks cool.
Speaker 4: It's really cool and I love PT.
Speaker 2: PT was awesome. Yeah, so if he's going to kind of keep going with that, that's exciting. Let's see here that that it has evokes coach of was canceled Silent Hills. Coachman mentioned scanning real world scary locations and joked about scanning a ghost.
Speaker 8: He wasn't joking, joking at all.
Speaker 2: He also updates on his PlayStation tactical espionage game Isn't a Spiritual successor to Middle Gear Solid, announcing Charlie Frazier, Madong Sik, and Minami Hamabe as cast members. Additionally, Kochama Productions is collaborating with Niantic on an r game described as like the Real Death Real World Death Stranding.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Finally, director Michael Sarnowsky provide details about the Death Stranding movie from A twenty four, stating it will tell a new story with new characters within the game's world. They had a lot happening here. I guess, Dan, how are feeling about Koachum productions. I'm very curious about ode.
Speaker 6: I've never been the biggest horror game guy in the world, but like you know, I do love his sensibilities and I watched that trailer this morning and looked very very good. I obviously what he has said about physn't sounds way more up my alley. So looking forward to seeing more about that, But I don't expect anything aime soon.
Speaker 2: That's still right, That still seems like it's very far away for sure. But yeah, I know fact that he's out there, but like kind of beating his chest about it. I mean, that's this stream was very much like celebrate me, but hey, that's Kochima.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Betty talked more about how his games are going to be kind of like a movie games together. You think, a fascinating, a fascinating idea.
Speaker 7: Oh, I, Uh yeah.
Speaker 6: When you said Charlie Frazier, I was like, Oh, I wonder if that's is that the cast? Is that the main dude or whatever on that hoster? I was curious what he was in. Oh no, it's the gorgeous woman from Furiosa, which that makes a lot of sense to.
Speaker 2: Say, you have a question?
Speaker 4: Does she have?
Speaker 2: Wait? No, he is he a foot guy?
Speaker 4: I see one of the guys.
Speaker 7: That's Tarantin.
Speaker 4: That's yeah. I thought there was a video game guy that was in defeat. But I don't think it's I'll tell you what. I don't think he's a foot person.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's just a scanning human bodies guy. Yeah. Yeah, he likes actors and actresses. And then, uh well, stop the presses. It's time everybody. He finally did it what we've all been asking him to do. Adeo Kojima's latest project is a credit card. Is partnering with a bank to release a credit card, a first for the game developer. The card will all allow users to earn points redeemable for Kojuma related rewards and merchandise.
Speaker 4: Jesus car, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's I guess it's just like a you know, you get a Disney credit card or whatever. You know, I a United credit card. Now you can get one for coach. It is Japan only, but maybe this is worth moving in the Japan for so I can finally get this. I don't know, we'll.
Speaker 4: Put you over the edge, right, this is a that's a weird thing.
Speaker 3: Can we just a weird thing?
Speaker 2: An extremely weird thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like you know, it's just about a brand. Like here's some perks at least you know, Disney cards or it's like you get perks in the parks or something. What what could the perks like points, redemo for KA relater rewards and merchandise. How much of that does one person possibly need?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, metal gear.
Speaker 7: I don't need to get a credit card.
Speaker 4: Rewards could be metal gear related.
Speaker 8: That means somewhere out there there is a person who is going to be like so deeply in depth in kojimaa right, just have like interest on purchases made with their Kojima card.
Speaker 2: Why can't you just get a used car dealership like Mark Wahlberg or something, or.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, or a tequila brand right, yeah exactly yeah?
Speaker 2: AlOH wait, yeah wait I think he did do sake. I think I think that was announced during this as well as chat. Correct me, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I saw something he did sake, so yeah, I would get that. Yeah, the credit card thing is a little bit embarrassing. Being in bed with a bank is always kind of like, man, there's just nothing.
Speaker 7: The banks caused a two thousand and eight financial crisis.
Speaker 8: Exactbruary right now, Yeah, coach can do this, That's what, right, Like, I mean, there's a need to do a lot, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: But I bet, I bet it's real good money, just like all those people doing the gambling ads, like.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Kevin Hart or something, Ken you need the money.
Speaker 2: That's like no. And John Ham. John Ham's like in every bet e GM or whatever it is. It's like, oh my god. But they pay him enough.
Speaker 4: That people just look the other way, all right.
Speaker 2: Kuonami polls fans to get their thoughts on which Metal Gear game it should remake next. Basically, survey went out and they had a bunch of questions about metal Gear, a lot of innocuous stuff, but one question called people's attention. There was a list of games saying, hey, which of these and mark as many as you want. Do you want to see a remake of And it's basically every Metal Gear game ever from MSX games, not the Acid games, but just about everything else. And people are like taking this as a sign as this is Konami's long term strategy, which I think is a safe assumption. So let me ask you, guys, what do you expect and what do you think they should do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is what I want them to do with metal Gear. You know, for all the calls for like, oh, they're gonna start making new Metal Gear games whatever, I don't want that. That story has been told. They would not. You know, the remake, they did a great job with that. Keep doing that, have Delta be the remake branding, and then go on I think chronologically through the Solid series.
Speaker 7: I think not. I don't know if Phantom Pain is too new and too big, but I.
Speaker 4: Think don't actually put the ending back in. If they did Phantom Pain at least if.
Speaker 6: They have all the actual like Kajima stuff, you know, like they don't.
Speaker 4: Make it, they showed it in that one like special feature, they have all the recorded dialogue and whatnots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm thinking to do it right sure, but I would want one next, like a faithful recreation of one, not a I like twins next. I'm a defender, but like, yeah, I do a three style remake of one, then two is what I would want. And then they want to go crazy for but down the line.
Speaker 4: So I agree, I don't want them to make a completely new game. But that's why I think it's so interesting that you have just the metal gear gears, Yes, because you do so much with those. If you remake those, what's not see Like, I'm surprised it doesn't come off as the slam dunk. It seems to be to me because you remake those games and you're basically are making new games, but you're still following the story and plot of those.
Speaker 6: But when people say that, because I hear that brought up a lot, like are you imagining like a you know, Delta quality of graphics?
Speaker 7: Like you know, okay, okay.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, I guess just you. I mean, there's not that much dialogue and stuff in the.
Speaker 4: That's why that's why you get to kind of work with it. You get to develop those characters. Yeah, I just kind of don't.
Speaker 6: I like the faithfulness of three, and like I don't like the idea of non Kajima people writing snake dialogue and everything.
Speaker 2: You know, it's gonna it's gonna happen. It will happen, like maybe not a full new game, but they will find a space like this in like an MSX remake and they'll have to do it.
Speaker 7: And all right, I'll try to write it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I I don't think they go there first. Honestly, I think they do just do two next, even chronological, because that's another PS two one. A lot of the tech they did to remake three is going to slot really easily into a Malgarsla to remake, and maybe then they'll do one at that.
Speaker 7: Point, Like I think you do one then too, they might do.
Speaker 4: One then too. And I hope I I don't hate Twin Stakes. I think I like it less than you. I think that just kind of shoving. I would never want to play Twin Stakes again, that's all. Yeah. I put through it once and it was okay. Uh, the remake, and I hope the remake get more thoughtfully than just kind of you know, uprising Twin Snakes or throwing in the mechanics that Twin Snakes did, like first person aiming without rebalancing the rest of the game around that. So like, oddly enough, I think it's it's actually a lot more work to remake Melgar Solid one than it is to remake Melgar Slid two, which is one of the reason why I think they might just do a lot with three ars on the same stime, so a lot of the same mechanics. Yeah, yeah, so I bet, yeah, those will happen. But I don't know. I was you know, I get you mean, Dan, that's gonna be hard for people to ever see the non Kojuma Metal Gear game, But I do think if you're gonna do that, I would much rather see, Yeah, Metal Gear one remade, then here's our metal Gear Solid six.
Speaker 6: And you know they could do it with hater obviously no haters. Right at the Economy event that I went to in New York, like, you know, he recorded some new dialogue for Delta, Like, you know, there's a character.
Speaker 2: Kind of fun it would have been in five, right, Like even if they even with all the like the lore reasons why the voice is different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, well they had an out with the uh lore. There was no there was a perfect opportunity to have hater be in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so could have been in there anyways. Yeah, well good, it's did they really list meda Your Slid five Ground Zeros and Milk Your saw at five? The Phantom pain is different options in this by like because it be clear if you remake these games, those two better just be one. Now.
Speaker 2: Yep, they did do that.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, Grand Zeros is a demo essential the standalone demo. It's it was cool at that it had some really quite a lot of that. It was a good thing. That's great. That's you know, I won't get into it. That was the one where they went too far with certain subject matter. I think actually went way, way, way too far.
Speaker 6: We're playing that in Japan at at Konami with Tim Turry and we got to that part and Ground Zeros and like you know, before any of this had been seen and Tim looking at you to tell me like, oh, people aren't gonna like that.
Speaker 2: Real bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, all right, last story here.
Speaker 2: Pal Farm announced Pocket Pair announced pow World pal Farm, a farming simulation spin off of Power World where players build and managing farm with the help of pals, mysterious creatures with the unique abilities. Didn't the Pokemon Company just announced like basically their equivalent with Ditto. Uh yeah, so okay, more more fireworks here maybe, but I listen, I thought Power World was okay, this sounds alright to me. It makes a lot of sense that they would do it though. This is a genre that a lot of people are excited about. Sure, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: All right, that's that's the news.
Speaker 2: I having the show back over to backlar.
Speaker 4: How am I supposed to follow that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: This is what he does, tremendous stuff. Mikey will be back with emails on the other side of this.
Speaker 2: It was the wind up. It was the That's what really got me.
Speaker 8: I know, man, sometimes he really knocks him dead. He pulls it off, but he does back after this. Oh, it's emails time. That's a right, bombcasta giant bomb dot com. That's the email address BombCast at giant bomb dot com. Let's get into a few of these that Jen has selected. First, one is from Mike what's an old game you love that were it to receive a sequel, wouldn't need much beyond a modern scope or control scheme to be an all time banger. My answer is general chaos a strange real time squad battling game for Genesis. All it needs is a little time in the sun to grow.
Speaker 4: It would bear many fruit.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that game is.
Speaker 6: I rented that as a kid for the Genesis and I thought I had a cool cover and a cool name, and then it was like a real time thing and not like an action game, and I had no idea what was going on. I think there was a cursor, and so I just freaked out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that would scare you.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My answer for this is Ason Skies. This really neat, kind of like World War two or one ish era fighting. Yeah, I played a long night history thing. Yeah, it's super cool. It has a really neat, fun kind of serial style to it, so it just stands out visually. It's a great game on the Xbox, and even on the Xbox it was kind of like a bit open in a way I think would work really well now with just some modern graphics and slight tweaks. It's always one that I wish they would have gone back to, and now that they're in this kind of position where they see to be winding down a lot of initiatives to make new games, or bring back old franchises, right, like was last day. I tried to bring back an old franchise, Perfect Dark and Fable. Perfect Dark was canceled. We'll see if Fable makes it, so I don't know. I'm not holding my breath for Crimson Skies lately.
Speaker 8: And that was that was because it was very rocketeer coded, right yeah?
Speaker 4: Huge?
Speaker 7: You have Dark Void guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well I love that, man, I really did wait or Dark Sector?
Speaker 2: Well, Dark Sector was and Dark Dark Dark Void. Lloyd was the jetpack? Was that the vertical Gears of War? Dark Sector is basically Gears of War?
Speaker 4: Right well? Yeah like pop kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yes'lloyd dark Boards? Oh who can remember these?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh mine is Gunstar Heroes. I think you could take that game pretty much as is, give it a I mean, I wouldn't want to change visually all that much, but you could just add maybe a couple more mechanics, even make it even more complicated, because I think developers realize players can handle a lot more, and you would just have a classic. I mean, so like that original one is a classic. I think you could do one today kind of in the streets of Rage four fashion that sort of follow up and it would just nail.
Speaker 7: It would be you play the GBA one.
Speaker 4: Uh I think I did.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think honestly that that's what actually got me into And then I went back to Gunstar heroes like I love this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think incredible crisis.
Speaker 2: Could that is? That would be fun?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, I would love that.
Speaker 4: That hit pretty hard.
Speaker 8: I mean I used I used beautiful Joe's an answer for a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're not wrong, No, you're not.
Speaker 8: And I just think it would it would it would be.
Speaker 4: Great Pano three this time.
Speaker 2: Instead, I don't and I'm not there with you. No, it's not good.
Speaker 8: No, I want to be just in, you know, in the spirit of charitability.
Speaker 2: But yeah, beautiful Joe's much better.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 8: All right, Well, thank you emailer. Next from uh who do we have here?
Speaker 4: Said?
Speaker 2: Is video game streaming?
Speaker 8: The latest spectator sport? Is video game podcasting? The new sports tunk radio. I feel like this question is from twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean basically that's how it breaks down, Like, yeah, that's how it goes.
Speaker 8: I think I think a good you know, I want to say that podcasting is so much it's also so wide reaching and spreading. But it's way more popular than sports talk radio. Oh you don't think you don't think more people listen to apologists than no, No, you're right now, more people listen to podcasts.
Speaker 4: Well, but we're talking about because like the podcast is sports talk radio basically, right.
Speaker 8: So even if you're comparing those two sort of like slices, I still think it's waiting.
Speaker 2: AM radio was massively popular even up until like ten years ago. I don't know if any new kids are coming in listening to that stuff in their cars or whatever, but it is unlistenable.
Speaker 4: Let me just tell it's rough stuff. I mean, especially the right wing stuff is insane. How much it's still on there, It's crazy. I love it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a local one here and you I think they broadcast, they syndicate it, and they are insufferable.
Speaker 4: I would catch myself hate listening to Rush Limbos sometimes because yeah, I have that station on for the the Indians games back then, and like so it would just be all want to start my car, and he would just immediately start talking about something crazy, and I'm so mad I couldn't stop listening.
Speaker 2: Same when I was a delivery driver, I would hate listen to a lot of right wing radio because it was like, yeah, it was like, oh I get to feel something at least and most of the most of time it was blinding rage. I listened Toad at Glenn Beck and it was like, Oh, I can tell you all the tricks that guy does to win his arguments against nobody because he's just talking to himself for four hours to bring into the void.
Speaker 8: Yes, we're on I AM radio because it can't penetrate your skin.
Speaker 6: Are e sports still a thing? I feel like you heard about esports for a long time, know you do? You just don't hear like I feel like, from like twenty ten to like twenty twenty, I felt like I heard the word e sports and there was a lot of money going into it. Yeah, I mean all the time. So now I don't hear anyone talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was like this big rush and corporations were very excited about it for a bit there, and there was big investments in things like the Overwatch League, right, and that didn't really workouts. Now that you still have, you know, esports and a lot of it is you know, a bit more grassroots, but there still are bigger ones like you know, Evo is esports, right, is.
Speaker 6: Like Doda is still selling out big Doda.
Speaker 4: Think, I'm almost curious, like how many people are still going to see tattoo.
Speaker 2: I bet it's a lot, but I bet it's down from its peak. I mean it's they are still mold.
Speaker 8: They're like the top I'd say five games, that's probably I guess Rocket League might be in that top.
Speaker 4: Counter Strike is still globally massive esports, so there are still they're still still huge, Dan, you might this might sound familiar.
Speaker 2: Saudi Arabia has invested sports.
Speaker 7: They are spending a lot of money these days.
Speaker 4: It's they have a lot of money. Saudi Ramco the most the richest corporation that's ever existed in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, more than Walmart. Yes, significantly more than Walmart.
Speaker 8: I also think esports is still way behind here than it is the rest of the world in terms of like attention paying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like overall, though, like the investment, like Mike's right, the investment from corporations into that space has cut off. They don't necessarily believe that there is a huge way to make a ton of money. That's why it kind of just felled up Saudi Arabia to be I pick it up as one of the mini cards.
Speaker 4: They're going to play as they try to diversify their economy or whatever they own EVO really yeah it to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah shit.
Speaker 6: So they're trying to push in the comedy now too, Like they're having a huge comedy festival with like a ton of huge names that are there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Is it like Joe Warriors, the Saudi Arabia Government.
Speaker 13: Yeah, fun uh okay, uh hey Dores, what is the correct amount of phases for a final boss?
Speaker 4: That's I think it's three? Yep, three is right now? Yeah, I think three is pretty good with the like, man, if you if you are real spicy, you can really earn it, Like you know, Zecro has four and I'm like, holy shit, Second Row. That's like a game that's it's a game that earns four faces for its final boss. Right, even then it's you can argue it's kind of like a one and a three in that case there, Yeah, but three three phills important for sure. It's as what you mess around with it though it can be a little bit it can kind of ruin the exhilaration, like uh, like there's a there's a boss in there, a couple of bosses in Hollow Night where when I beat it, instead of being excited, I'm actually holding my breath to make sure the boss is actually dead, so that like instead of like a big pop off, it's kind of like a yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, waiting for some bullshit to hurt me.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: Now, is there a distinction between like Silk Song does it a lot where there's like three phases, but like the boss itself doesn't look different or anything, and then the one where it's like the boss like a force, like a phase and a form.
Speaker 4: Those are still phases, but you're right, there's a distinction there for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 6: There's like a Gannon Dwarf to Gannon is like, that's not two phases of the fight, that's two forms a game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's a phase. Yeah. I think they're all phases, but there is an extra distinction between there, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well can doors are just like sixty four You kind of fight him, then there's like a sequence.
Speaker 6: It's two very different that's just but sometimes it's in the same one. It's like I just sprouted two heads and now this is happening.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, even win Waker, because first you fight the beast form, but then there's like a little wall you can't to climb up the tower bit, and then you fight just human gainer doors. It's I I love. I don't know. I think it's actually very interesting the way people design bosses and encounters like this. I think it's such a distillation of game principle as I find super fast.
Speaker 6: Like Ari four the uh, the guy that looks like me in the in the farmhouse or whatever, just walking around being a tall weirdo, and all of a sudden he's just like a spider man, Like I like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's great. Or even we're doing Crowsier because at first it's just like dudes with knives and he becomes more and more of a monster. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do like that stuff. O Oh. I like a good boss fight. Ah again, like those sports. But I quite enjoyed Silk Song's final boss. I thought, I'm a very very fun encounter.
Speaker 8: All right, well, thank you emailer. Uh the correct answer, Just so we're all keeping track keeping score here, it's three.
Speaker 4: It's three.
Speaker 8: Uh, all right, Travis and Fargo five parter here, So let's just blow through these maybe.
Speaker 4: Uh hey, animal lovers.
Speaker 8: Number one, what's the weirdest thing on your bucket list?
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 6: I used to think I wanted to own a monkey by the time I was fifty.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's allowed.
Speaker 6: No, I've seen several documentaries and stuff now and it's not in the cards. It's just like not a good idea for many reasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what about raccoon, I'm gonna have a rack.
Speaker 2: I think they're they're pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're like they will like like fuck up your ship like the way an animal does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not like your bodily person, but they're like get into your your cabinets and.
Speaker 8: Stuff, right, But like they'll have like some sort of understandable reason like oh, we're trying to get a bank loan or whatever, you know what I mean? Like I trust I trust raccoons more. Yes, right, yeah, go to the next one. Yeah, okay, sorry for the buckle this question number two. You know the trope easy to learn difficult to master. Are there any video games that are the opposite difficult to learn easy to master? Does that even make sense?
Speaker 7: I don't know if that makes any sense.
Speaker 4: I get it. There's I think a lot of rogue lakes are kind of like that where once you once you kind of understand it, you kind of grock it. Then at that point getting the rest of the way isn't too difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think that's probably like are you mastering Spilunky unless you do like the very hard thing of getting to oumec and stuff like that, and that's still you know, it's execution. So I don't know. Yes, I guess I know what you mean.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is uh, this question works for like almost not video game things. Well maybe it does, like riding a bike, right, Like learning to write a bike is different cult to learn.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 8: Literally never forget you literally never forget right, like h.
Speaker 2: Was like riding a bike.
Speaker 8: Yeah, totally. Also, I would argue things like a pinball where like su, you try and nail this shot and you're like, man, I can't hit the shot, But then once you know how to time it, you can hit that shot regularly. That's the best we're.
Speaker 4: Going to do here.
Speaker 8: I think number three, I want to give a special shout out to Indiana Jones in the Great Circle A game.
Speaker 4: I didn't like that much.
Speaker 8: Good thing you're shouting it out, but it did something better than most Triple A games these days. It made the in game font easily readable from a living room's distance away. What's the game you didn't necessarily love, but I had a Santa feature you want to applaud. I will also say, real quick, the font in Silent Hill f awesome.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but this is a I don't know if this lands with anyone, this uh, this question.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think, Yeah, it's a good.
Speaker 6: I can make a lot of good games that have a thing where it's like, oh, Prince of Persia, the memories screenshot feature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Yeah, so I didn't really get into Eternal very much, but I did like when a wall of bullets came my way with like one hole that I had to go through and it was like, oh, this is my hole. That thing I liked. I like the idea of a third person bullet hell.
Speaker 2: This is my shot.
Speaker 8: To make sure we're ear marking that you got that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm trying to think. I'm sure there's something I liked in Red Dead Redemption too, like you know, gaming it and fully drive.
Speaker 4: With but like, would you like come like Arthur?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, I like the the well written character. I never had any issues with that, but that doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of the question. But I like the horse's balls shrinking, the shrink in the cold.
Speaker 4: That's good. Were they really I guess so, I don't know. I never looked, but that's probably right. I think that. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Uh, what song or sound do you hear and instantly know you're in for a great time? Sack?
Speaker 4: I think got like a good vocoder, the bung from Taco Bell.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's my Xbox one X one mm hmm.
Speaker 4: This is another tough one. Is there a hockey sound? What's the hockey? Is this hockey ice?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But like you know the there's like like dunt dunt dan for me. It's for me. It's gonna be funny. It's the smell like I just smell hockey like sweating pads. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like just when you walk into a rink, you know what that smell is and you're like, I guess I'm playing hockey?
Speaker 4: Uh do?
Speaker 6: I watched a lot of old wrestling because of dead luck homework, And when you hear the glass shatter, it's like.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm gonna like this second. You know, this is just gonna be a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 8: I recently rewatched the pilot to pee Wee's Playhouse, and there were like twelve sound effects sound cues that triggered me from a really positive nostalgia point of view, and I think, like that does a good job answering this.
Speaker 4: I know this is kind of for me, but I just recently rewatched the pilot to pee Wee's Funhouse or whatever. That's a pretty great sentence. It was his playhouse, not his fun house. Sure, Okay, you don't have time to watch a two hour long video about video games, but you're just going back casually to see because I have a.
Speaker 8: Ten year old who needed to be educated.
Speaker 4: And we watched.
Speaker 2: Sixty four on back our side with this, of.
Speaker 8: Course, because it's nothing but reasonable. Yes, honestly, I haven't gone back and watched that. There's also an incredibly high quality version on YouTube of Peewe's Playhouse, the first episode. It's tremendous.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: Finally, Travis, did you uh from Travis? Did you hit up any good yard sales this summer? I did not, although I skipped an opportunity to do that. I do like that stuff that is fun.
Speaker 2: I noticed a flea market on Sunday. I never I had never seen before, and I almost went in. I think I'll hit it up next week. And I don't usually go to garage sales.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't like going to people's stuff. It's a little weird and they're like they're there while I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went to one.
Speaker 6: I was just walking around the neighborhood last week and I saw somebody was having a garage steal and just walked in and it was just like an old couple sitting out there in their lawn chairs, and it's like I walked into the garage and it was that smell that like instantly it was like, this is Grandma's basement, the mothballs.
Speaker 2: This is that Like what is that smile? Is it just? Is it like it's.
Speaker 4: Must but is it not moth the mothballs, like the smell of like you put these balls down so the moths don't eat the clothes and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: I've never known anyone that's actually used a mothball. Everyone always talks about.
Speaker 4: Mostly old people, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But other people. Yeah, I've had God, what did I get delivered? It was a nice jacket from a video game company. And I think that they must have had it in storage, and I think they must have had it mothballed so that moths wouldn't eat all their their stored clothing.
Speaker 4: And stuff like that.
Speaker 6: And even modern day old people do mothballs. It's not I think.
Speaker 2: It's something that people just need to do. Some moths don't destroy their clothes, like yeah, it's a thing that still happens, so you don't need to be old. But old people have a lot of old stuff just sitting around for a very long time, so they are especially.
Speaker 4: Susceptible to it.
Speaker 2: And this isn't like sure an old person idea, It's like.
Speaker 8: Right, but there Chad is saying that there is an old person's smell that which death. I just don't want to think about it, you know, I don't want to enough time in Florida, I don't need to think about it.
Speaker 2: All right, Very.
Speaker 8: Good, listen, we'll do maybe one. We'll do this one, and then we've got a quiz that we can do and then we'll be hapy.
Speaker 4: I got some super shats too.
Speaker 8: Excellent excellent news. Patrick from Illinois, Hey, yo, duders, long time, first time before I get to my questions. Just want to say how much I appreciate.
Speaker 4: The work you all do. Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: The BombCast has been a staple on my commutes for over a decade, and I'm glad you are still going strong anyways. In episode nine to eight, Sean mentioned playing old games on his fancy new handheld with achievements is an achievement set developer on retro Achievement. The name drop not only made oh I'm sorry as an achievement set developer, he's achievement on retro achievement. Yes, the name drop not only made me excited, but it also made me wonder do you all think achievements adds value to a game? If so, what do you look for in a good achievements set? Fun and interesting challenges, a reward for collecting everything you can in a game, recognitions for grinding to level ninety nine Final Fantasy nine? And finally, if you could replay any game from your past with achievements, what would you pick? Thank you, Patrick.
Speaker 6: I think my favorites are the ones that, like you know, give me a reason to continue playing a game I like in a way I wouldn't normally play it.
Speaker 7: That's you know, and it's.
Speaker 6: Like I used to be, you know, a three sixty era, just going for every achievement for every game and play an avatar for the easy thousand achievements and all that stuff. Nowadays, it's more like, Okay, I love Astrobot. I don't want this to end. I'm going to get the platinum here because I'm loving everything.
Speaker 2: So just giving me.
Speaker 6: An excuse to like, oh, go find this the least rag, or play this one level in a certain way, or don't use this weapon for this thing. You know, it's just a way to extend my time with my favorite games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I still the only achievements I can still remember really caring that much about gangs cited for were cracked down once because I don't know, it's early, and it was fine, you know, yeah jump off the tallest building, even though I liked it there. Like now, and I'm not much of an achievement person, but like, I would rather just get one because I actually did something difficult in a game, like you know, yeah, sure, grind to level ninety nine obviously nine, I guess I I kind of resent a little bit that they have to design these things to make sure that people can generally get them because so many people do like getting platinums and whatnot that you almost have to balance around that. And I'm like, ah, maybe you know, make it so that some of them are really stupid difficult and if I want to go for that, go for it, which again I think the Platinum Hunters Sorry doctor Ryan Linaly hate that opinion.
Speaker 6: I like when they really fuck up with them, Like this doesn't happen as much anymore. But like, was it prey on three sixty that had a multiplayer achievement for like doing a team and kill?
Speaker 2: So what are you doing like that?
Speaker 6: Everyone's just fuck like every match everyone's doing team kills and stuff, right, Yeah, and then we learned ones. Yeah, they were the ones that were like good in theory where it was like the viral thing of like oh uh, you know, beat a developer at their own game or something, or someone who has beaten that developer. Right, yeah, I like that idea. Oh, it's going to be this rare thing. But then it's like just over a certain amount of time, everyone's gonna have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's difficult, right, I don't really know the best way to go about it, for retro games, though, I.
Speaker 2: Think it is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ok, yeah, I think it's neat. And again retros, I don't think you should make it too like weird, like idle your character for ten minutes and song to Hedgehog. You know, I don't know. I think you should generally be tied to playing the game, maybe doing specific challenge where it's like, give it was mega, man, I would want an achievement if I beat the game Buster only if that's.
Speaker 6: Sure, right, Yeah, Resident ev One you know knife Run stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly thinks or you know, just the plasma cutter and dead space that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why. Yeah, I'm with you guys where it's like mostly not interested in achievements, But for retro games, I've been a little a little bit more curious.
Speaker 4: I've done.
Speaker 2: I've signed up for retro achievements a bunch of times, gotten some, but uh, retual achievements also has leader boards stuff. Yeah, and that's I'm always way more interested in that. Give me that ten times over time, because, like I said before, that feels like a real achievement to me. That's like beating everyone else playing this game. That's something so if combined those things, so I at least have.
Speaker 4: The option to do leaderboards instead, that would be my choice. Do they have a game here for what game? Would you replay it from the.
Speaker 7: Past with you can now?
Speaker 6: You know, the only reason I haven't gotten more into it is because, like with all the little handheld and stuff I have, I do set up retro achievements when it has the option, But because I'm playing a lot of handheld if I'm like on a plane, sometimes I'm not going to have my like and Bernick to the plane Wi Fi, you know, So it's like, oh, I'm gonna get further in the game, and then it's not gonna sync that achievement. So it's like I never like fully dove in, but like I like the idea of them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Eternal Darkness with achievements would have made that whole experience a little better.
Speaker 2: You could have ignored us while we were like goofing on you. You could have just focused on the achievements. I would have had something in my corner right now.
Speaker 6: It does bring up that Megabank has leaderboards, and the one I see on the main screen is always just like number of kills, So it's just like, how much of you played Megabox?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I imagine, like I bet the people on this top ten list are playing it right now and they have been for like the last several days.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, all right, thank you Patrick. Final email is going to be a quiz and it's from Josh and Georgia. After this we'll get the super chats. We'll be on you right, howdy duds. I was moving recently and found some old game informers, and while flipping through them, I found a top ten list of the best video game weapons.
Speaker 2: And I know how much you fellas love quiz is.
Speaker 8: I thought it'd be fun to see how many you can name.
Speaker 2: FYI.
Speaker 8: This is from issue one sixty nine, that's May of the two thousand and seven with the GTA for cover story.
Speaker 4: Holy shit master story.
Speaker 6: Okay, so this is be before I was there, so I don't have an advantage, right master definitely.
Speaker 8: So there there are I have the key and I deleted it from the run of show, so there's no cheating. There are ten weapons and the Master Sword is not one of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, turn off chat, turn off chat.
Speaker 4: I want to I will cover chat. Do we get so many strikes? Here.
Speaker 2: You think maybe we just see if we can do it.
Speaker 8: I mean, I guess, I mean I think three strikes starting after the masters.
Speaker 4: What what year is this from seven?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: You think Whip from Castlevania.
Speaker 4: I don't think they're gonna do Vampire Killer. Uh maybe maybe vamped soul Edge.
Speaker 7: No Masters not on that.
Speaker 4: It's throwing me off that Master's sword is not one of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait a thousand or a shotgun super shotgun? I think BFG. I also think Halo Pistol BFG from Doom is on there.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, number two, that's number two.
Speaker 6: Okay, strikes, Let's see if we can throw it out.
Speaker 4: Okay, you got one out of Halo Pistol. Halo Pistol No, okay, killing, I think you probably more gun based Golden gun from gold and I.
Speaker 7: No what r C P ninety from GoldenEye?
Speaker 2: No, okay, what Energy sword from Halo? No?
Speaker 4: Okay, whoa whoa?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 8: And then and the game span decades here.
Speaker 6: The biggn sword from Akarina. No, let me think was pac Man a weapon?
Speaker 4: No half life, no gravity gun, gravity gun from number one energy. They might just thrown the portal gun into at this point seven seven?
Speaker 6: Yeah, was out box right around it? Just say we're not doing strikes. Portal gun No, the Lancer from Gears, Yeah no.
Speaker 4: Oh Hammer of Dawn from Gears. No, Red Gun from Contra very good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, is there any Mario like did they do anything with fireball or anything like that?
Speaker 2: There's a couple of goofs, but that's about What about the Blades of Chaos?
Speaker 8: Yes, the Chaos is number eighth.
Speaker 4: The key Blade from Kingdom Heart.
Speaker 2: Get out of here? What the devil Bringer the devil Board?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: Is that the right queen?
Speaker 4: The Mega Buster?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Does it say guns or weapons? Weapons? Weapons?
Speaker 7: Okay, let's think about like melee, stuff.
Speaker 2: Like cerebral bore what.
Speaker 8: Okay, number seven there, number seven, that's that's one of my favorite weapons.
Speaker 7: It's it's incredible. It's one of the best ever.
Speaker 2: Okay, you I can't believes to be clear, grub has gotten I think full four. Actually no, I I I helped, I helped get to gravity gun.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 2: You said BFG. I thought you said bf G. I did say BFG.
Speaker 4: Yes, So you have four all you the rail gun.
Speaker 8: There's only let's see one, two, three, four, five left?
Speaker 7: They stupid or it's like someone's boots.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have.
Speaker 8: There's one real dumb one that you'll never get.
Speaker 7: Give us that one.
Speaker 2: That's the sheep from Ratchet and Cracked. Yeah, I mean it was in a commercial.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is there anything that's not a gun? Anything else that's not a gun? Yes, shell from Mario Kart. No okay, oh oh the Clouds Buster Sword.
Speaker 2: No one is gonna piss you off.
Speaker 4: One's gonna be like, that's really that. We don't have the Buster Sword. We have the gun Blade, gun Blade.
Speaker 2: No, who's the byeline I'm looking.
Speaker 8: It doesn't say I see the skin, it doesn't smithy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fantasy weapons.
Speaker 7: I'm going to assume it's Andrew Reiner. That's my assumption.
Speaker 2: No final Fantasy. Sorry.
Speaker 7: Uh, the kind of like lightsabers.
Speaker 2: Yes, number four is just the vanilla lights I started picking.
Speaker 10: I was like, oh, lightsaber number four, plastic sword, go rules because we have lightsabers and best Vegan weapons, but not the Master Sword and like, I mean my.
Speaker 2: Energy sword from Halo instead of fucking exactly the thing that's exclusive to video games, Mike. Number three is for you.
Speaker 4: Number three is for me.
Speaker 7: First sight and perfect dark.
Speaker 4: Is it? Is it Dizzy related? No, it's okay, but it's you related. It's Ohio related. But it's not Mega Man. Well, maybe it is Mega Man. Maybe it is, Maybe it's not. Okay, is it the Is it the metal plates for Mega Man two? Now we're talking. It's not the Mega Buster. It's gotta be battle plates. Okay, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's we're missing too here. Uh, Mike, you said rail gun from Quake, right, I said row gun.
Speaker 4: I did say nail gun. It's a different thing. Rail gun is on real tournament right nail Okay? Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait seven? What call of duty?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 8: One of the game franchises that has the weapon was mentioned already, and the other one is a franchise no one has brought up yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, franchise we brought up.
Speaker 6: The other one that we haven't brought up. Has it had a new entry in the last three years?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Maybe just by a smidge?
Speaker 4: Is it Halo? No? Okay, because we forget if we even got a Halo one on there.
Speaker 8: It's very timely, though, is it metal year?
Speaker 4: No gear? No timely? Is it the nail with the.
Speaker 2: Wrapped in thumbnails? What's that?
Speaker 7: Resident Evil anything.
Speaker 4: No. Shoot, I thought was for sure. I thought you had nine. Yeah, it's not Final Fantasy. We know that Timely isn't it.
Speaker 7: Ardby Dark Anything or Golden Ny.
Speaker 8: So I'll all right, you did say the name of the game that you did reference already, So so number ten, first laptop gun, laptop laptop gun.
Speaker 4: Finally, number six, did you hurt yourself in?
Speaker 6: I celebrated, and I brought my arm down and I elbowed my teleprompter.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 8: Number six again? Franchise no one has mentioned, definitely a Timely franchise this year.
Speaker 4: Franchise this year, Master Hunter nope.
Speaker 7: Prince of Persia nope.
Speaker 4: Oh, it could have been the Dagger of Time. I thought you're onto something there that would have actually been good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Steam recently.
Speaker 4: It might be.
Speaker 8: Underwhelming, but it uh, it is certainly a weapon.
Speaker 4: That gear.
Speaker 7: Knowing that that should now be Donkey Kong.
Speaker 8: Nope, nope, I don't know what Donkey kg it the Hedgehogs gun. No, it's number six on the list.
Speaker 4: Number six on the list.
Speaker 8: Which won't help you at all that Borderlands has mentioned the franchise.
Speaker 4: Big franchise was somehow missing out on Timely.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, this franchise, did it have its peak in like seven, you know, like three six of the era?
Speaker 8: I maybe, yeah, maybe it's up for debate. I don't think this game, this franchise is really is it like.
Speaker 4: The wave shot from Metroid or something that is the franchise? Okay, we got there, Bob. No, we didn't bring a Metroid. I don't want to think a specific weapons. Yeah, like wave beam, there's oh uh ice beam, charge charge beam, just mis super super missiles. No, it is a certain kind of beam, wave beams, plant energy beam, energy being charge bean.
Speaker 8: I feel like what the charge beam is called, but they're using a different descriptor here.
Speaker 4: You remember what it's called type the hyper beam you get, that's the one you get like at the end of the game.
Speaker 7: Oh sure, one off.
Speaker 4: That's a lot as much as I love Metroid having that, but not the Master Sword.
Speaker 8: Hey, a lot of problems with this list.
Speaker 4: A lot of problems actually fixed this list. Yeah, not a bit.
Speaker 2: But thank you, Josh.
Speaker 8: What's fun though, Mike Manati, let's put it to you for some super chats.
Speaker 4: All right, uh says the US economy is fucked. To save money where you can, Mike This is about on your dad's phone, right right. That was forever. Ago can remember a while Ago was from Tyrant and while Dan was dog sitting and told Grub dog sitting multiple dogs is like being a real parent. Grub agreed, I can't give him jerff help.
Speaker 2: I said that, like, you know, it's on the same spectrum.
Speaker 6: We had five dogs. One of them was elderly and shitting everywhere. Yeah, I mean, same thing, the same.
Speaker 2: I definitely didn't say it was the same you said it was like, because when he said that, it made me really.
Speaker 4: Mad just now, and I knew that's how I would have felt in.
Speaker 2: You guys real quick, I was playing with nail clippers and I pinched myself and made myself bleed in the last ten ten seconds. Cool.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no sympathy. You get no SymPy for me, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Because you gave Dan a pass about that insane statement.
Speaker 2: This is what again, the God that doesn't exist did to you.
Speaker 4: I've either got next up is from cool stuff boy. It's the way you're talking about Backlar. When is Dan going to do that photoshoot with Backlar's leather WWE jacket that was promised on the Beast cast in twenty eighteen. The true believers are still waiting Backlar.
Speaker 6: I think the thing was that you were going to look up a place for me to go, and I was like, all right, tell me where to be and when I'll do it.
Speaker 8: And that stands glamour shots. Yeah, the year some mall glamour shots with that thing.
Speaker 7: You tell me if I need to bring it on any trips.
Speaker 8: I remember I put it on one night to go out and I didn't even make it.
Speaker 2: Out the door. Before I took it off.
Speaker 4: I was just like, I can't do this. I can't do this.
Speaker 2: All right, going, we got any more?
Speaker 7: Mike?
Speaker 4: Want more here from Ricky b at least, I say right now, I'm way behind. Just listen to the cell phone saga. Are we sure Mike isn't the one breaking all of the mugs? Ooh? You know what that tracks?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: I've not seen a single mug. You know, its not like the mugs are here everyone. I'm not shipping them from my house if we did, ye gage.
Speaker 8: Right, that super chat implies that they are just like loosely like jumped into your bathtub.
Speaker 4: And were grandfathered. And I didn't want anything to do with that.
Speaker 8: Every time an order comes in you just sort of like dig your hand into the bathtub, pull out a mug, and the box it goes.
Speaker 4: Exactly it's off the dirty floor.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 8: All right, Well, thank you everyone for the super chats, Thank you for the support. Giant bomb dot com. Slash Join is how you can support us by subscribing. That would mean so very much. What do we got going on the rest of this week? Well, we've got game mess every morning as you come to expect tomorrow. Blight Club continues.
Speaker 4: Right walking over to State to Play Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Stay to Play is gonna be tomorrow as well.
Speaker 8: We've got a Sonic Racing Crossworlds GB plays. On Thursday. The dump truck will be pulling into your cul de Sac. We're gonna be doing a premium Discord town Hall meeting, so make sure you pop in for that. That's one pm Pacific on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Upf will be a.
Speaker 8: Baby Steps relay race versus kind of funny I guess snorts and town all before some peah. I mean, look, I'm not a betting man, but track records being considered, what is kind of funny like plus four thousand.
Speaker 6: On this Well, here's the thing like I you know, I say this as a bit a lot where it's like we're undefeated or I'm undefeated.
Speaker 7: No, I think are we actually undefeated against kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'd lost like around, We've never lost a competition, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, at the end of the stream, we've always been the winners.
Speaker 2: That is right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I take it back plus plus ten thousand. Okay, it's just like come on and then four pm Pacific on Friday, Haites two through the Night. Very exciting stuff. Also quick looks. We'll supposed to record a Silent hill f today. Jan and I hopefully his power returns soon and we'll.
Speaker 7: See recorded a Hades one with him today. We'll see how that.
Speaker 4: Goes, we goes.
Speaker 8: We'll still try and knock him out this week. If the power outages can't happen today.
Speaker 4: That's gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 8: Thank you so very much for tuning into the Giant Bomb guest. Thank you Jan, thank you Dan, thank you Grub, thank you Minati, thank you for everyone super chatting and watching along live or after the fact. We'll be back with a brand new episode next week. I can't do Jan's outro he he hits an octave I'm incapable of doing. If anyone else wants to try it up, the goodbye, do the goodbye, good bye, goodbye.
Speaker 4: Try it out, Mike, goodbye.
Speaker 2: All right for the audio, everybody good Na