Speaker 1: Anyone. Yeah, welcome back to Crash Course Pot, the show where we dive deep into the music you love, the artists you analyze, and the tracks that stick in your head. I'm the host Ash Tone, and we're coming off of a deep dive into the business brilliance of Taylor Swift. If you heard that episode. If not, go back and some to it after this one. And then we talked about the experimental genius of Li YACHTI last week. Take a look at that one, or take a listen if you haven't already heard it. After this one, though, wait till you listen to all of this one that brings us to today. We are going big picture and talking about music's most elusive and fascinating creature, the one hit wonder. We all know them, that one song, that one summer, that one artist who just vanished. But what exactly defines a one hit wonder? Essentially, it's an artist known for one song that achieved massive, global, genre defining success, and then every subsequent release failed to chart or capture public interest at the same level. We're talking about massive peaks followed by immediate drop offs, and we're going decade by decade to find the kings and queens of the quick success story. So let's crash this course. First up, we're talking the seventies and eighties disco since and sheer novel. We have to start in the seventies. This was the era of the disco boom where novelty entrance moved fast. My pick for the seventies has to be the Buggles with Video Killed the Radio Star. You know, Video Killed the rainio Star, Video Killed the Radio Star. I actually really really liked that song, and I think well I am and Nicki Minaj sampled that song on this song they have together called check it Out.
Speaker 2: Check it Out, check it Out, check it out, check it out, check it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we feel in it. No, I can't remember. There is stemp up.
Speaker 2: In the punny and my name is Oh the Mother, and hate is Madame.
Speaker 1: So established don't don't don't shoot me, don't shoot me. I don't know that. I mean, I still don't know the words. Anyways, that song literally ushered in the MTB generation, a perfect prophetic piece of synthpop. It was huge, but the Buggles never got close to that success again. Now jumping into the eighties, you couldn't escape the synth and the sheer strangeness of music videos.
Speaker 2: For me, the one.
Speaker 1: Hit wonder that defines this decade is Tim Buck three with the Future So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades. Back when MTB played music videos twenty four to seven, this one was on a lot. Granted I wasn't born in the eighties, but that's what my sources saying. This song was played a lot back back then when it came out. You know, I'm getting good grade.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm doing all right, I'm getting good grades.
Speaker 1: The future is so bright, I Gotta Wear Shades. The ultimate misunderstood song. Everyone thought it was an optimistic gradual euation anthem, but the lyrics are actually about nuclear holocaust and students being trained for careers so bright they literally need shades. It had that perfect blend of catchy hook and dark irony. A huge charting success, but they couldn't bottle that lightning twice. The eighties was full of those lightning in a bottle moments. Actually, moving on down to the nineties, grunge, dance pop, and global crossovers. The nineties were chaotic musically. We had grunge, exploding pop coming back, and electronic music crossing Over. It's hard to pick just one, but I'm going with Fountains of Wayne. Stacy's Mom a classic. Though Fountains of Wayne were an excellent band with solid, deep cuts. As I would like to say, Stacy's Mom became a cultural phenomenon that overshadowed everything else they did. The video the hook, pure earworm gold. You guys know, Stacy's Mom has got it going on Stacy's most Wait, Stacy's Mom has got it going on? Dun you I know you know that song. I'm probably not doing it justice, but go listen to it after this Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne. Anyways, Stacy's Mom was their only massive global Top forty hit. They did have another song, Radiation Vibe, which was a significant alternative rock radio hit in the US and in the UK ninety six. I have another one for a global pure dance pop phenomenon, you can't ignore Chumbawamba with tub Thumb.
Speaker 2: I get knocked down, but I Get up again.
Speaker 1: This song was inescapable at every sporting event am Bar in nineteen ninety seven. Honestly, even to this day, if you put us on at a karaoke night, you will get the crowd moving. It was an anomaly, a wildly successful pop punk anthem by an anarchist collective who openly rejected commercial success. It's the ultimate one hit wonder narrative. They didn't want the fame and they certainly didn't repeat it. And that, my friends, in a nutshell, is the nineties. Now let's move on to the two thoys and twenty tens. Viral hits and the digital age. The Internet started to act the life cycle of a hit song. My choice for this decade is gonna be Daniel Powder with Bad Day, So You Had a Bad Day, Oh, the ultimate soundtrack to every sad movie scene and farewell montage. It was everywhere a global chart topper. It's a perfect example of a melancholic ballad that hit the cultural nerve just right. But Powder's follow ups just couldn't replicate the bigness of that song. I believe any rom com in the two thousands you can probably catch this song at least once. Like, pull out ten rom coms, and I'm sure twice you'd hear this song in one of them. I didn't even know the guy's name, Honestly, his songs the song superseded him, or maybe that's just anything I don't know. Moving on into the twenty tens, we have to talk about songs that became viral events. My pick is pi Psy with Gagnum Style Got Good, Good, good good good good Gagnum Style, Hey is it pretty Lady? No, no, no, Gangnum Style. This is arguably the biggest one hit wonder of all time, measured by sheer global reach. It was the first YouTube video to hit a billion views. It was a phenomenon that transcended language, genre, and culture. The pressure to follow that up was insurmountable. You can't recreate a global accidental viral moment, and that's why pi Psy remains the king of the twenty tens one hit wonders. Now for the trickiest decade, the twenty twenties. We're living in the age of algorithms, where hits are born on TikTok and die on the radio. But the sheer explosiveness of some of these songs is undeniable. My twenty twenties pick has to be Dance Monkey by Tones and I No.
Speaker 3: No no no no no no no no h uh see I see you see you every time? No no no, no, no no no, No, No, Dance for Me, Dance for Me, Dance for Me.
Speaker 1: That song, I don't know the words, honestly, if I'm real, I didn't like the song. I still don't. That's why I don't know the words that well. But I know the tone because it was a colossal inescapable hit tones and I is an established artist in Australia, but that song, dance Monkey globally was ever you, groundbreaking records for the time, spent at number one in multiple countries. It had that unique, slightly strange vocal hook that TikTok loved and radio couldn't stop playing. The music video was also weirdly addicting, like I don't know if you watched it because you enjoyed the randomness or you just figured the more you watch it, the more context you'll get, more understanding you get. But whatever the case, that song was a number one. Despite follow up efforts, the massive global hit of dance Monkey has been impossible to repeat. It defined that period of the pandemic, becoming a global anthem of weird, infectious joy. It's a perfect modern one hit wonder, wonder, born of a strange alchemy between a unique voice and the global algorithm. The hit is massive, but the artist struggles to escape its shadows. Typical one hit wonder curse Shalley's sat White say. The twenty tens and twenty twenties are full of these viral flashes, but I had to pick the biggest. But we have to mention some close calls. What about I Love Maconan's Tuesday. It was an undeniable club anthem that defined a year. And what about the SoundCloud generation artists like Wybi and de Mer with Rubbing Off the Paint and Blue Face with Thoughtiana. They had massive signature tracks that exploded and launched their career. But did the rest of their catalog manage to sustain that initial shocking peak of success. I'd argue that it didn't. You know, some of the stands and the fans would say that they're still relevant. They aren't one hit wonders. What I'm talking about is the global scale of the hit, and were they able to repeat that again? Were they able to taylor swift their hit where almost everything is global. That's my criteria for judging the what Hit Wonder, and that's why I'd say they're honorable mentions. It proves that in the streaming age, the peak of a single viral moment can be the hardest thing to replicate. If you it makes you wonder does an artist even need a second hit when the first one generates that much cultural conversation and financial success. Some don't like Stacy's mom and Gagnum style, maybe even top thumping.
Speaker 2: I get knocked down, but I get up again.
Speaker 1: I feel like these songs are like generation one hit wonders like I don't think they ever need another hit again because these songs are still relevant today. So if I answer my question, no, some artists don't need another second hit because the first one generated so much cultural conversation and financial success. Looking across all those decades, it's fascinating how the definition changes from music novelty to viral anomaly. The only constant is that the song was always bigger than the artist. They all share that one trait. The song was bigger than the artists. It was the right track at the right exact moment in time. Whether it was the synthesizers of the eighties or the TikTok algorithm of the twenty twenties, they all managed to capture lightning in the bottle so I want to know if you could listen to just one of these one hit wonders on repeat for the rest of your days. Which one are you picking? I think I have to go it too. The first one is gonna be Video Killed the Radio Star. I really love that song, and the other one is gonna be tub Thumpin'.
Speaker 2: I get knocked down, but I get up again.
Speaker 1: Because I want to take that nostalgia trip back to the nineties and get knocked down and then get up again with Chabawamba. Let us know your favorite one hit wonder and if we missed a truly legendary track. You can find us on our website, Viva La Life Media. All the details are below, or follow Viva Life Media on YouTube and Instagram. Thanks for joining us. This is Crash Course Pot and I will catch you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye.