Speaker 1: Join this morning by our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial, CJ.
Speaker 2: Closs and Eric Schwartz.
Speaker 1: You can learn more about Class Financial on their website. That's Clossfinancial dot com. That's Class k l a as Financial dot com. Great website again to learn more about Colss Financial, the team at Class Financial, the separate divisions. You can also sign up for the weekly Market Pulse newsletter all at Clossfinancial dot Com. Telephone number remember this one six oh eight four four two five, six three seven. Don't forget no charge for that initial gets to know you appointment at Loss Financial. It will be complementary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. If you'd like to join the show this morning, tell for number to get on the air. Six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six oh eight three two one thirteen ten and joining us this morning our CJ. Closs and Eric Schwartz. CJ, how you doing this week?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. Good morning, Sean, Good morning, good to talk.
Speaker 2: With you and Eric. How have you been.
Speaker 4: Pretty good? Sean? It's it's Thursday and sunshine and can't complain.
Speaker 1: Next week I'm seeing in the forecast two guys, so it should be it should be a nice one for sure, and we're going to talk as we're looking into spring, and of course seasonally this time of year, a lot of folks taxes are going on, and we're going to get some getting our taxes in order, specifically planning for next years and years beyond. I think a lot of folks start to feel the frustration this time of year with their taxes. You can do yourself a huge favor by doing some planning right now for the years to come. And we'll talk with CJ and Eric about just that this morning. Another great feature of the program is of course the clost Quiz. Question the week your chance to win a fantastic prize. This week, no exception, our friends from Class Financial have provided a twenty five dollars gift card to the Darden. Darden restaurants and those are like Olive Garden Season fifty two Yardhouse those places. So listen closely to the program because again the question and answer typically come up during the show. Before we actually get rolling on this week's conversation about taxes and tax season, let's actually take a look back at last week's program and get the question and answer there as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our winner last week was Kevin from Nuclaris and Kevin knew the answer to the question which was true or false. According to a twenty twenty four study by Mass Mutual, the average actual retirement age in the United States is closer to age sixty two, and the answer to that was true. So congratulations Kevin.
Speaker 1: There we go, my mo my buttons messing with me these days. Really good good work there. Of course, as we talked this morning with our retirement planning professionals, congratulations to Kevin from New Glaris. And you know, tax season, it's we're doing it right now, and of course some tips to help with doing taxes for this year and of course better planning for next year.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal, isn't it, CJ. It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So you know, many people feel anxious this time of the year, whether it's they're eager to get their refund or their dreading a payment because they didn't pay taxes on on some self employment income. But either way, we are here to help. And today we're just going to give you some kind of tips and reminders about important deadlines and what documents to pull together. Now as we begin this discussion. While Eric and I don't individually file income taxes for clients as of twenty twenty four, so this think of this as the twenty twenty four tax filing season. We actually as an organization have started to prepare income taxes for those clients who want us to. Now it's only for our other clients. It's not just the only thing we do. It would be for our wealth management clients who then also want us to.
Speaker 2: Do tax prep.
Speaker 3: But that is something new that we're doing this year. We've hired an enrolled agent who can take care of that. But that being said, the IRS, so just so some important information about your taxes. The IRS started accepting tax returns on January twenty seventh of this year. And this is again for the twenty twenty four tex even though we're in twenty twenty five and the tax filing deadline is April fifteenth of twenty twenty five. Now you can file an extension, and for those who do file an extension, that deadline then it is October fifteenth of twenty twenty five. Again, all these twenty twenty five dates are actually for the prior year's tax return deadlines. One thing we would say is be patient when filing, even though you may have all your tax documents ready to go by January thirtieth and you're just so excited and you send it in and you're like, give me my refund. I want to remind you. The IRS for the twenty twenty three tax year processed over two hundred and thirteen million tax returns, with almost ninety one percent of those actually being filed electronically. So we actually have a couple of clients who do their own taxes and they still do the long for the kind of the free form wed inc document and send it in, but at this point ninety one percent of people are filing those electronically. So the reason we say to be patient is as much as I make jokes, and even in meetings clients can attest, I'll be like, oh, if if you don't pay, they'll throw you in jail, but they don't send you back your money very quickly. That's really more tongue in cheek because at the end of the day, processing two hundred and thirteen million tax returns and all the supporting documents and schedules, that's no joke. That is no joke, and it's gonna take some time, so one thing we would say is be patient. With that being said, by now for those who haven't filed their taxes or sent in all their documents. For most of you, you should have received almost all of your necessary documents from various investments to take to your accountant. And if you haven't, under most circumstances, it's probably sitting on a website somewhere where you could establish a log in and go download it. So we would just encourage you. If you haven't received, say you're consolidated ten ninety nine from a brokerage account at one of your institutions, or an expected WTI too, most of those should have been prepared by now, and therefore we would say reach out to those organizations where you're feeling like you're missing something. Now, with that being said, here's some tax filing tips, and this is for again the twenty twenty four tax filing season. Number one should be obvious. Collect your W two's and ten ninety nine's and various other tax documents things like k ones, and as I said, most of those should be ready to go by now. There could be a couple of exceptions for those of you who are expecting a K one. Sometimes k ones can take a little bit longer. Those can come out in mid March, even in early April, or sometimes things like schedule cues can take longer to receive, so be sure that you have everything pulled together and then provide it to your accountant or start working on your taxes. Another tip would be to maximize your deductions and credits. So check for deductions like student loan interest, medical expenses, or charitable donations. Look into available credits such as the child tax credit or energy efficient home improvements that you did this year. Often those will have tax incentives or tax credits associated with them. You just have to keep track of it and remember when you go to file your income taxes. Now, for those who do like online filing, if they're doing these on their own, often the like turbo taxes of the world will prompt you for questions like this. They will say things like did you install any energy efficient you know, furnaces this year or windows or anything like that, and so it kind of prompts you to say, oh, yeah, that's right, we did do something like that. But if you're filing this kind of long form or free form wet ink you're going to have to remember that, or if you're giving this information to your accountants, you're going to have to notify them because they they can only do what you tell them you did throughout a year. And here's the key, everybody. Most of your core tax like kind of required tax documents come on a tax W two's ten ninety nine s K one schedule cues, but these other things often do not right, like, oh, I gave money to a charity, but I forgot to look for the receipt. Well, unfortunately, if you forgot, you're not gonna be able to even consider a ah, you know that benefit for the charitable contribution for that itemization. Okay, so so some things in your tax documents you're just going to have to remember and notify your accountant and provide receipts if you have it. Some other tips would be you actually can still contribute to things like a traditional ira or a roth ira up until the tax filing deadline, which again is April fifteenth of this year. However, any four to oh one K contributions will have had to be completed by the end of last year in order to count towards last year so just remember four oh one k's four oh three b's. Those are employers sponsored plans. You can only contribute to them, typically out of your earnings, and therefore you can only contribute up till December thirty first, but I raise and wroth irays if you're eligible, those can be contributed to for the prior year, all the way up until the tax filing deadline. And then we would just a couple other quick tips. We would say review prior years returns and tax stocks, because often the easiest way to know if you're missing something is just to go back and look at last year to be like, oh, that's right. Where is where is my consolidated ten ninety nine from Schwab or Fidelity because I don't have that and I still have that account. And then you know, we would encourage you consider e filing and opt for direct deposit of your refund. These things will just help to kind of expedite the process when you when you're waiting for a refund or even in the case where you owe money, it's just better to e file, link up your bank account, pull it out of there, and just be done and move on.
Speaker 2: Pretty good stuff.
Speaker 1: As we talk with our retirement playing professionals class and Eric Schwartz don't forget. You can learn more about COSS Financial online cossfinancial dot com. That's Coss k l Aasfinancial dot com. Great website and resource to learn more about cost Financial. They're telephone number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know you appointment Tax Costs Financial. It will be complementary to you. So Eric, what should we know then when it comes to do our own taxes? Or maybe we should get a tax professional. And the big question is what is a tax professional? Tax prepare?
Speaker 2: What are they cost in these days?
Speaker 4: Great questions, Sean, And the short answer is you do have choices. You If you're comfortable doing your own taxes, you certainly can do that. If you have a more complicated return, or you're just not really interested in doing your own taxes, you can also can also hire a tax professional. So let's start here with reasons why you might want to hire a tax professional. I think a pretty obvious one is they are paid to keep up with changing tax laws. Our tax laws are changing all the time, sometimes you know more than annually. And an accountant can you know that's their day job. That's what that's what they're reading about. That's what they're making sure to stay up to date on. Another thing here is they can help you maximize deductions and credits, potentially covering their fees. So CJ was talking about, you know some of these these tax preferred things that you're doing that can help you get a deduction or a credit that don't come on a tax form. You don't you don't think about them. But you know, if your accountant says, hey, I know you did some work on your house. Did you do any you know, energy efficient upgrades or something like that, you know they can help you kind of discover some of these deductions and credits and like I said, potentially cover any additional fee that you're paying them. It definitely saves time. In most cases. The IRS estimates that the average taxpayer spends thirteen hours on their return. I will say to me, that does seem like a really long time. Those must be some complicated returns. But the accountant can help you cut down some of that. They can they can provide you with expert answers without having to wait for an answer from the I R. S. So if you can ask the accountant rather than trying to get in touch with with.
Speaker 2: The I R S.
Speaker 4: That's also going to save you some time, minimize stress, reduce costly mistakes. And I think one of the more the more important benefits you get from working with the tax preparer is they can give you tax planning tips kind of all year long, not just at tax time. Oftentimes, when you're meeting with the accountant in you know, March or April, you're you know, you're already what's done is done. You can't go back and make some changes to help yourself on the tax return. So if you have someone to advise you throughout the year, there's a lot of value in that. They can also look back at your past returns. They can they can look for missed deductions or potential errors, and all of this is just going to help reduce your audit risk and you know, make sure you're not paying any more than you have to for your for your annual income tax. Now, from a cost perspective, right, all these things sound great, but what is it costing me relative to doing it on my own? So current trends show us that the average cost of tax preparation varies by you know, the complexity, the firm you're working with, your location. But according to the National Society of Accountants, the average fee for filing an individual return, so that's Form ten forty without any itemized deductions, is about two hundred and twenty dollars versus an itemized return, which is closer to three hundred and twenty three dollars. And for more complex tax situations so I think, you know, self employed, maybe you have to file in multiple states, the fees can be more than five hundred and fifteen dollars for complete service tax preparation. Now, what I'll say about these numbers is CGN I work with clients here and well in the Madison market and around the country. I would say these numbers seem a little low to me for our local our local community. But the interesting thing is pricing varies widely. You know, even just here in our in our local community. You know, we'll have one accountant that works with a certain type of return and it'll cost you know, maybe four hundred and fifty dollars in the same return with another accountant might be eight hundred dollars. Right, It really really varies. So I want to make sure that we're asking those questions upfront and doing our homework when we're when we're looking at hiring an accountant. Now, there may be some free filing options. Okay, so IRS does have something called the IRS Free File. If your AGI is eighty four thousand dollars or less, you actually qualify for guided tax software through the IRS. There are also just the free file fillable forms, so just fillable PDFs to fill in your your tax information basically like like doing it yourself with a with a pen paper, but it does allow you to file it. This is available for all incomes, but it does require that you have some tax knowledge. There's no nobody asking questions in guiding you. And then you know H and R Block or TurboTax. They will often have what they call their free versions. This offers kind of basic federal tax prep in most cases. Generally, if you have itemized deductions or self employment income, you're going to sort of quickly move into the paid versions, and you know, when it comes to filing state returns, they'll often they'll often charge you for that. Now, if you do want to do it yourself, but you do want a little bit of guidance going through the paid versions of a Turbo tax or an H and R block, those will generally cost between seventy dollars and two hundred dollars, although I'll say they're they're kind of adding services that that you can pay more for. So oftentimes you really need to think about how much you're actually saving by paying for a tax software and doing it all yourself.
Speaker 2: Really good information. Good to get some of those numbers.
Speaker 1: I guess it's interesting about the how much it costs and how and how varied those costs are. Is that is fascinating for sure. Talking this morning with Eric Schwartz and CJ.
Speaker 2: Closs.
Speaker 1: They are our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial. Their website coss financial dot com. That's coss k l a a s Financial dot com. Great website and resource to learn more about COSS Financial. Also, if you missed any part of today's program or you want to get caught up with previous shows, you can listen to as well as subscribe to the podcast right at cossfinancial dot com. Again, that website Coss k l a a S Financial Financial dot com. Telphone number six O eight four four two five six three seven no charge that initial gets to know the appointment deck Class Financial. It will be complementary to you well to your conversation with Cjen. Eric next has money in Motion with Coss Financial. Continues here on thirteen ten Wi b A talking with our retirement planning professionals from Coss Financial CJ. Closs and Eric Schwartz. Of course, you can learn more about Colass Financial on the website Coss financial dot com. That's Coss k l a A S Financial dot com. Telling for number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know the appointment deech Loss Financial. It will be complimentary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. Talking taxes this week, talked about some great tips for doing your taxes this year, and let's take a look ahead and kind of, you know, once we get this year taken care of, how can we start looking towards twenty twenty five in the of course this year and next year, and of course simple things to maybe simplify taxes for next year or ways to save more.
Speaker 2: CJ.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna leave this one with you because there's a lot going on here, isn't there?
Speaker 3: There is so just a little bit of history, even for myself everybody. So I when I first got into this industry, taxes was not my strong suit. I have dramatically increased my kind of tax awareness and tax knowledge in the last twenty years of doing this, but initially it wasn't a kind of a high understanding form. So therefore, even in my own tax returns twenty some years ago, it was super stressful. I didn't know what the Turbo tax website was asking me about. I didn't know where to get copies of the things that I had bought. I wasn't saving anything throughout the year, and so when it came to tax time, I would just sweat profusely. Not so much because I was doing anything wrong, but rather I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if I was going to owe money or get money back. I didn't know where any of the documents were or what it just this kind of like lack of knowledge or lack of understanding drives fear and anxiety. We've talked about this on the show before, so over time I just kind of paid attention, like, oh, okay, I need to beware of these W two's and these ten ninety nine's and oh, my mortgage interest matters, and if I'm going to give money to charities, I should notate that somewhere, and then I should look for the receipts at the end of the year. And so I just started creating an electronic fula called twenty twenty four taxes or twenty twenty five taxes, and I would just dump as I got things throughout the year that I knew I would need or even might need. When I go to file my income taxes, I would just dump the electronic file in there. Now, this is the version that worked for me. Your version might be a physical file at home, where it's a physical file called twenty twenty five taxes. So now we're done talking about last year's taxes. Now we're talking this year. So you might create a physical file and you might just dump some of your papers in there as you do things throughout the year. But here's what I'd say, just to give you hope for those of you who have fear or anxiety around filing taxes. I went from not knowing what to expect, not knowing what documents I needed to now I have zero anxiety. Zero Legitimately I know within a few hundred dollars if I'm going to get money back or oh, and I know why, and if I didn't want, you know, oh, I know how to pay more. And now I do have an accountant that actually files the tax return for me, but legitimately even the file or the account in doing that is really just I want somebody who's in the industry. I could do it myself and have just zero anxiety. Now some of you are rolling your eyes going, well, yeah, because you're in the industry, that's true, touche. I'm with you. I get to see more of this and understand it more. But we have walked many of our clients through this just to say, hey, here's the document, set up the folder, do this, do this, and over the course of about three or four or five years, people go, oh.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: This is not complicated. So with all of that kind of like story out of the way, let me just give you some some tips. Number One, if you owed in twenty twenty four the last year, a just year withholding on your income sources, this is a simple one, like, oh, I'm working still and I owed five thousand dollars. That was not fun. It means you're not withholding enough. And if you're not working and you still owed, then you might want to increase your withholding on your pensions, Social Security or IRA distributions. There's one simple things. Number two, track your expenses and deductions throughout the year. I kind of already mentioned this, but just do it throughout the year and put it in a folder. Number three, maximize your retirement account contributions if you're still working, and your HSA contributions if you're still working. And consider because some people will meet with them and they'll go, oh, I'm just I'm always owing at the end of the year and it's just really frustrating, and we go, well, one of two things, either increase your payroll deduction with holdings or number two, oh, you're putting money into the wroth for a one k, just swap that around and put it into the pretax for one K. Now, I'm oversimplifying that decision, by the way, it does have to be back up by some academic research that you need to do with an advisor. But the point being, we often find the anxiety that people have around their taxes at the end of the year are super super super easy fixes change this change that, boom, We're done. Another one would be stay up to date on tax law changes. Now, Eric and I would both attest, yeah, you do want to do this. I mean, we have to do this professionally. But I would just say it's pretty hard to stay up to date on tax law changes because you have to be able to decipher what is a rumor versus what is law. Let me give you an example of this. There is a rumor, you know, based upon fact, there is a rumor that Donald Trump and Kamala Harris when she was running for office, both wanted to remove taxes the tax ability of Social Security at a federal level. I just want to say, soci Security income will not be taxable. That is not law right now. That may become law, that is not law right now. So this can be a tough one. You've got to be able to separate rumor from reality. And then that's often why we would say you might eventually want to have an accountant who can do this professionally, or at least have your advice. You know, be able to decipher what has been passed and what is not, which leads into the next one. You might want to consider working with a tax professional. I understand it's going to be more expensive. I understand you might pay three to six hundred dollars for a standard return, somewhere in that range. But my comment would be, if that accountant can help you understand what to prepare file the income taxes, make you prepared for knowing what to expect, I'd say it's some of the best money you'll spend throughout the year. And then, finally, I already mentioned this at the beginning, but let me just re emphasize it again. Create your twenty twenty five tax file now and start tracking all of your charitable giving all of your purchases that have tax benefits associated with it, for energy efficiency or whatever it might be. And by the end of this year, you will be so thankful that you did.
Speaker 1: It's a little gift you can give yourself for the end of the year. It is interesting once you start doing this and CG. I think you'll lay it out perfectly. Not only are you doing yourself a huge favor, but you start to kind of see the bigger picture and kind of understand some of the benefits, and of course can put together a strategy, just like any game plan. Have that strategy put together. It's so important to start that conversation.
Speaker 2: Great day.
Speaker 1: As we talked this morning with CJ. Closs and Eric Schwartz, our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial, great data, start that conversation. They're telephon number six So eight four four two five six three seven. Don't forget no charge for the initial gets to no appointment that loss Financial. It will be complimentary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. So, Eric, what about some folks. I know there's probably people listening saying do I actually need to file a tax return? And of course how long should we hold on to those old old tax returns?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's another great question. And no, not everyone is required to file taxes. So if you're in if your taxable income is low enough, you are not required to. In twenty twenty four, for single folks, the income threshold for filing an income tax return is fourteen six hundred dollars. If your income is below that threshold, you generally do not need to file a federal return. But please check with a tax professional before you just decide not to file anything, and get some guidance on your own situation, and even if your income is low, there are certain benefits that can come from filing your taxes. You know, you might be able to claim tax credits that are refundable, which means you know they actually even if you don't owe taxes, they would they would be a financial benefit to you. And any overpayment that you that you made from withholding throughout the year, you want to make sure you get that back you need you need to file a return to do that. And regarding the keeping of your old tax returns, the IRS tells us that you should keep tax records for three years from the date you filed your original return or two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. And when I say tax tax records, we're talking about, you know, the supporting documentation for your return, so receipts from a charitable organization or a ten ninety nine or whatever it might be. You should keep records for seven years whenever you're you're claiming a loss on your tax return, and you should keep tax records indefinitely if you did not file an income tax return. The IRS generally audits within three years, but if they want to they can they can definitely go go back as far as six years.
Speaker 1: Really good guidance this morning in important years to keep in mind. As we talked this morning with Eric Schwartz and CJT.
Speaker 2: Coloss.
Speaker 1: They are our retirement planning professionals from Closs Financial. Learn more online the website Coss Financial dot com. That's coss k l a as Financial dot com and they're telephone number six, So eight four four two five six three seven. We'll head on over and check out the Money and Motion listener question corner as well as do the class quiz question leak. We'll do that with you next as Money in Motion with Class Financial continues here on thirteen ten wiv A talking this morning with CJ.
Speaker 2: Closs and Eric Schwartz.
Speaker 1: Of course, they are our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial. You can learn more about Class Financial their website class Financial dot com. That's coss k l aas Financial dot com and they're telephone number six, So eight four four two five six three seven. We have to the Class quiz close Question of the week and just a moment, but first it's the Money in Motion listener question corner and Coreen right sin she says, I'm retiring next year when I'm sixty two one would be the best time to start collecting my Social Security benefit.
Speaker 4: CJ.
Speaker 2: I'll leave this one with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, great question. I appreciate you you submitting that question, Kareen, And just a good reminder to everybody. You can go to our website and submit any question that you want, or of course you can call into the show and air your question live as well. But crean to answer your question. Yes, if you're if you're going to be turning sixty two, you're starting to think about social Security one, should you draw it? And and if you've listened to our show, you know that the answer is it depends. Every good answer begins with it depends. Now, if you want an individual answer, talk to your account and talk to your financial advisor and they should be able to sit down and look at all. Right, are you still working? So let me just give you high level. Here's why we have to say it depends. If you draw at sixty two Korean, you're limited on how much you can earn separately from that at a W two paying job. If you earn too much, then they actually start reducing your Social Security benefits. So you know there would be an example of why you have to you know, somebody has to ask some questions about this, and then beyond that, like are you married, is your spouse drawing Social Security? Is there any spousal benefit available, any former widow's benefits? Is there a value in delaying your Social Security draw D eight till your full retirement age or maybe even up until age seventy to get those delayed retirement credits of eight percent? Of course, things like health concerns come in. Are you healthy or are you unhealthy? How long did your parents live? All of these things, believe it or not impact our advice around around when to draw soal security. Now again, some people go, oh, my goodness, you're over complicating this. Not really, In about a ten minute conversation, we can boil down to some pretty clear general guidance on when you should draw. So this isn't doesn't have to be an hour long conversation, but in about ten minutes with somebody who knows what they're doing, who has experienced like we do, you can just whittle it down to say, seems like, well, from what you're telling me, somewhere between sixty five and sixty eight would be ideal and we'll just reevaluate it when you get there. So, Karin, I hope that's helpful. I realize I'm not answering your question specifically because the answer to your question is I don't know. It depends. But for all of you listening out there, make sure you're talking with somebody about when to draw SOL security because it matters.
Speaker 1: Very important decision there, and great question, Karine, don't forget You too can be like Areena CJ mentioned. You can submit a question right online at Class's website class Financial dot com. That's coss k l a as Financial dot Com. Telph number for Class Financial Office right here in Madison sixt' oh eight four four two five six three seven if you want to hold on to that telephon number because it's time out for the Class Quiz question the week. It works like this, In just a moment, I'll ask you the Class Quiz question the week. You will then have thirty minutes from the today's program to call the Class Financial Office right here in Madison at six oh eight four four two five six three seven. If you are the first call with correct answer, win this week's prize, which is a twenty five dollars gift card to the Darden Restaurants to the Class Quiz question week This week is this true or false? You can make a twenty twenty four contribution to an IRA up until April fifteenth of this year. Is that true or is that false? Telephone number six oh eight four four two five six three seven first cost correct answer win this week's prize.
Speaker 2: Don't forget as well.
Speaker 1: That's Class Financials Office right here in Madison, that number six O eight four four two five six three seven CJ.
Speaker 2: Eric. It's always great chatting with both of you guys. Have a fantastic day, Thanks Sean, Thanks Sean, and.
Speaker 1: Uh Marty Greer. Check out Veterinary. She comes your way next year on thirteen ten WIB eight