Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: So off we go to Sailing first twenty twenty four. I can't believe in finally on the way. The build up has been massive, you know, or the planning or the moving parts to it, planning, the presentation, staying in touch with people who you want to meet up with, you know, all that kind of stuff. It's been great. I've really enjoyed it. But I'm glad to actually be on the road now. Now. There are quite a lot of moving parts of this trip, and this is the first part. This is me on the train in Liverpool on the Maysey Rail and that is the first of many moving parts. So it's a train from Liverpool into Liverpool City Center, then another train to London, and then in London another train and then in London, then I'll get the plane from Heathrow. Then I'll get to the US and flying over to the West Coast, and then getting the train all the way across the country, which will end up in New York City. I'll meet up with Zach and then we'll take another train to Newick to meet up with Emmy, and then we're going to drive to Binghamton. So it's a proper trains, planes and automobiles kind of trip a lot of moving parts to it. I suppose it makes me slightly nervous when there are so many moving parts, because it just means that there's potential for things to go wrong, you know, if one of those parts doesn't quite go to plan. But I've planned it out as best I can, I think, so you know, fingers crossed, everything falls into place, and they've been switched with you along the way. So there I was, my belongings packed along with my hopes and dreams, to embark on the trip of a lifetime, which would take me across the width of the United States and into the waiting arms of friends and listeners to celebrate the life of Rod Sailing at Sailing Fest twenty twenty four. But little did I know that from the moment I left, nothing would go as planned, and I was about to embark on a trip to the darkest depths of the twilight Zone. Good morning, everyone, So this is a very hoarse sounding Tom Elliott. I'm not sure you can hear me that well over the train, so I'm not sure I'm going to use this clip. I'm just hoping my voice sorts itself out by the time I get to Binghamton, Man, so this is pretty surreal. I'm sitting on a train called the California Zephyr, which is going from the West Coast all the way over to New York. So the last few days of this trip has just kind of become a real just snowball effect of bad luck. So originally, you know, sailing festivals happening. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of listeners and things contribute to the cost of it, because even though it's just a weekend in New York, you know, just costs crop up here and there, and you know, you try and do it as cheaply as you can, but there's you know, everyone's got their handout when you're trying to travel. It's just the way it goes. Unfortunately. So I I thought, well, you know what, this is my last sailing fest. I would like to do something a bit special for it. So I decided that I would try and take this train that goes from the West coast all the way over to the East Coast to New York and then head to sailing fest because I love the US. You know, given enough time, enough money, I would like to visit everywhere you know, but this gave me the opportunity to kind of see it, see a lot of the country in one go on one trip, and the kindness of people who contributed to me going to sailing Fest, I could make the whole trip happen. So I got to the airport in England and I got on the plane and I sat there for four hours as they investigated some kind of fault on the plane, and then the plane their flight got canceled. So that puts me a day late get into the US. But that's okay because I wasn't catching that train for a couple of days. It wiped out a lot of things that I would have liked to have seen, but at least I would catch the train in time. So then I get to the US a day late, the day before I'm supposed to travel on the train, and I get to the airport and I hear my name over the loudspeaker system and I'm like, man, that is not good. So then they they say to me, listen, we know where your bag is, but it's not here, so we need to, you know, send it to you and your hotel. And I'm like, you don't know how much You've just screwed me over, you know, because I'm not staying in a hotel. I'm getting a train tomorrow morning, and there's no way you can get that back to me on this train. So you have no idea how much you've messed me up. And fair play to the staff member, you know, he was great and put up with my frustrations, and I was never rude to him, but I was clearly just livid at what had happened to me. So honestly, at that moment was it was a case of should I just call the whole thing off? Because this is a mess.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, I've already spent by this time, I've spent two days in the same set of clothes, you know, got no baggage, and this is just a mess. I don't trust the airline to follow up on anything and get my bag to me. So I decided to pace severe and I got on the train. And to be honest, the train has been great. I would highly recommend it to anyone. You know, seeing the US in this way is wonderful, lots of beautiful scenery, you know, met some great people on the train, and so yeah, it's been good. It's been good. So at this moment I have heard way that they're flying my bag to New York, so hopefully it should be there when I get there. Again, I don't trust anything that they say at the moment. Well, I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful, but yeah, so that's where I'm up to. It's a bit modeling, but I kind of think, like last time, as well as being a document of sailing fest, it's also a bit of a travelogue, and that's what the situation is at the moment. So I can't sugarcoat. It's been hellish, you know, it really has, But I can really hope for better things going forward, and I hope that my voice sorts itself out for the stage. Despite getting gradually sicker. The trip across the US was everything that I hoped it would be. Beautiful scenery, interesting people, and there's just something so soothing about switching off from everything else and letting your will just be the small room around you and the view from the window. But after four days and three nights on the train, I was ready to be in the company of friends again, and thankfully I met up with two of my best ones, Zach Moore from the podcast All he's hold on to Smallville and Emmy, who podcasts with me over in the after hours club. And as we were heading out from our apartment, which was right next to Recreation Park in Binghamton, we spotted an unusual shape in the park. So it's seven point thirty pm in Binghamton and I'm here with Emmy, Emmy, Hello, hello, and Zach Hello there. And you know, we had a nice drive to Binghamton from New York and as we were on our way to our B and B, we just saw this shape in Recreation Park covered in a black sheet, and it's a statue of rod sailing. It's It's kind of surreal, isn't it to just see it out here on its own.
Speaker 4: You know, It's kind of just made me more excited to see actually what it's going to look like. I think they're seeing the shape of all and how it really is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like it's like a Christmas present.
Speaker 2: Still when it's right, I'm quite pleased to how accessible it looks, you know what I mean. They haven't put it out the way. It's like right next to a path. You know, you will walk by, and it's not even like on a tall pedestal to put them like really high up so you'll be able to stand right next to him and get a good look at him. So that's quite nice, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's in between all the trees. It's gonna make for some really beautiful photos when people come and you know, come to visit it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're going to turn in for the night. We've got to speak about what we discovered when we got back to our when we got to our airbnb. Well maybe we'll tail the microphones on later on and talk about that. So yeah, my goodness, it's what a strange feel and being in Recreation Park ready to see what unveiled in a couple of days time. Alright, signing off. Unfortunately, we never got to called that clip about what greeted us when we entered our apartment because the reasons that I'll come to later on. But when we entered our wonderful airbnb, our host Diane had decorated the place with all manner of Twilight Zone decorations, posters, craft pieces, Twilight Zone magazines and even a life size standee of rod sailing. So we arrived in Binghamton on Thursday, September twelfth, but I could feel that, unfortunately, the sickness that had started on the train was getting worse. So I took things easy and tried to rest up in the hope that I would be well to take advantage of the rest of the trip. But of course, who can resist a walk in Recreation Park on a beautiful sunny day. So it is Friday, the thirteenth of September, and so I might say it's unlucky, you know, unlucky for some and had certainly been unlucky for me in some ways. I think I'm very lucky in most ways. But unfortunately, over the past week I've seem to have picked up a cold. I think the stress at the beginning of the trip and just generally, you know, living on a train for days, breathing that recycled day, and not sleeping well because of the time difference has given me a bit of a cold. So I am desperately trying to dose myself up on various things to get rid of it before tomorrow, which is a tall order. But as long as I can get to the point where I'm just not coughing through that presentation on stage, then I should be okay. But yeah, we'll see how that goes. But the reason I turned the mic on is that it's in the middle of the day. It's in a bit of a lull. So I'm traveling with Zach and Emmy and we haven't actually met any other kind of podcast friends or anything like that yet because I just had to stay in last night because I was feeling so ill and I'm just really trying to salvage the situation before the presentation. But I've just come out for a walk in Recreation Park. Is the place where I'm staying is right next to Recreation Park, and when we went in, a wonderful lady named Diane, who keeps the place, had decorated it with all manner of twilight zoned stuff, even you know, a full sized standie of road sailing, which we've we've all enjoyed putting outside each other's bedrooms at various opportunities. So when they cut up, when people come out, they get a bit of a fright, but you know, but yeah, she's she's been a great host. But we are right next to the park, So I've just come out in the middle of the day before the celebrations kick off, really just for a bit of a walk, get a bit of sun, and it just reminds me of five years ago when I was here, because I was staying closer to the center of town then. And you know, it's fine, it's nice, it's okay. But it wasn't really till I walked to the park and the scenery kind of changes to these beautiful, traditional American looking houses. There's really nothing like an American small town. And it was the moment where I started to really find road sailings Binghamton. I think the Binghamton that he valued. And it's nice to just come out for a walk by myself today and for the same thing to happen. So I'm going to stay out and enjoy the sun, you know, go and pay my respect at the statue again and check out the carousel and things. But yeah, I will catch up you later. After people began trickling into Binghamton over the Thursday and Friday, Sailing Fest began in Earnest on the Friday night to a packed Forum Theater in Binghamton, where the audience was treated to episodes of The Loner Night Gallery and a Sailing penned episode of Hollywood Opening Night called Grady Everett for the people, and of course a couple of episodes of the Twilight Zone. And all of these things were introduced by various Rod Sailing scholars, and the Twilight Zone episodes in Praise of Pip and Death'shead Revisited were introduced by Ann Sailing.
Speaker 6: I'm going to be I'll just add some things that you might not know.
Speaker 7: This episode in Phrase of Pip began the fifth and.
Speaker 6: Final season of The Twilight Zone.
Speaker 7: Jack Clubman and Bill Mulley are both, as you'll see terrific.
Speaker 6: Clubman was in four Twilight Zone episodes.
Speaker 7: And Bill Money three. Apparently the role of Clubman plays was originally authored to our Harney, but he was unable.
Speaker 3: To accept it.
Speaker 7: Both Carty and Clubmans were in my Dad's script The Velvet Alan.
Speaker 6: In Mark Duwitzia's book.
Speaker 7: Everything I Need to Know I Learned in the Twilight Zone, he shares what Jack Clugman told him.
Speaker 6: There are certain playwrights like Rob Sterling who just suit me. It was a joy to play his characters.
Speaker 7: He gave you to play, what words he gave you to say, lovely orders.
Speaker 6: They just seemed to resonate with me. There had been three writers who seemed to most suit me.
Speaker 7: Rod Sterling, Clifford Odette, and Neil Simon.
Speaker 6: With Neil Simon, who was the humor and the rhythms.
Speaker 7: With Odettes, it was the staccato style and moveograck reading attitude.
Speaker 6: But with Rod Sterling, who was the anger, the defiance, and the fire. He brought such fire to everything, he wrote. Clegman also said in another interview, I couldn't believe when Rob died. I loved him.
Speaker 7: Mark Dickree, in his book The Twilight's Own Companion, wrote that a praise of Hip was likely the first depiction of an American casualty in Vietnam in any dramatic show TV show. Mark went on to say Surling was replaced the action in Laos. This was changed when the script was reviewed for inaccuracies and to Forest Research, who reported back in part there are officially no combat or.
Speaker 6: Special forces in Laos.
Speaker 7: The implication that the US has troops fighting in Laos, even in the Twilight Zone, could be an embarrassment and.
Speaker 6: Might cause repercussions.
Speaker 7: The relationship between Floodman and movie's characters feels so genuine. Movie shared that before filming, Flugman came up to him and his parents to prepare them for the highly affectionate way in which he wanted to do the scene.
Speaker 6: The article said movie worked exceptionally.
Speaker 7: Well, with Jack Clubman allowing Clubman to pick him.
Speaker 6: Up, spin him around, and kiss.
Speaker 7: And hug him, all in a highly naturalistic manner. The nad father's son relationship immediately believable. I have a TV personal connection to the sepisode, which I'll.
Speaker 6: Share on a pan with Martin Witty and MARKL.
Speaker 7: Shaffer tomorrow and so without further ado in praise of him.
Speaker 2: So after the movie showings, even though I felt like my sickness was settling down, I stayed true to my word and didn't have a wild night out. But I did spend the evening with friends old and new in one of the Binghamton night spots and had a respectably early night ready for the next day, when hopefully i'd wake up rested and ready to go and do my presentation on the Saturday afternoon. Well that was the plan, so fast up in the Forum Theater on Saturday, Tony Alborella of the Rod Sailing Memorial Foundation presented a montage of Rod sailing clips and outtakes, bringing home to the audience just what a funny guy Rod Sailing.
Speaker 8: Was, all right, steemporteke one.
Speaker 9: The mindless depletion of our natural resources is challenging our comforts and also the movement of this mother grabbing thing.
Speaker 8: Alright, steam porteg two.
Speaker 9: The mindless depletion of our natural resources is challenging this very goddamn mother grabbing chandment doesn't seem to work. Don't be mad.
Speaker 8: A scene for taking away.
Speaker 9: If we ignore the environmental damage we do while trying to meet our energy demands, we will find ourselves not only without gasoline and electricity of us, but a vast about there and fault. We will find ourselves not only without gasoline and electricity, but also without water to drink, shit water to drink. Oh we're god sorry, this is good wine, you know.
Speaker 2: Now. Next up, Christopher Benedict presented a fascinating talk based on his book The Twilight Rounds about Rod Sailing's connection with the sport of boxing. Well, unfortunately I don't have a clip of that talk, but Chris did a great job of kicking things off. But what I do have is a clip of him being interviewed by students from Ithaca College who were handling the media for the event, and they did a great job too. So here is Chris talking to them.
Speaker 5: Mister Benedict, thank you so much for being with us today. Yeah, of course, I want to start by saying that you were one of the panelists today for anyone who may have missed that. Would you like to talk about that panel a little bit?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 10: It was based on my book called The Twilight Rounds, which just happens to be a happy coincidence, and then as you know, kind of mirrors the Twilight Zone title. But it was written many years before that, nineteen fifty two, and you know, it began the There wasn't the first. His first boxing story was actually written in college and he attend at Antioch College in Ohio and wrote his very first published story was actually a boxing story, and he would go on to write many more before you know, deducing what he considered to be his personal masterpiece, which is reckoning for a heavyweight. And as you mentioned, he had boxed in the military, so he drew on that experience also, even though he was only five ft four, one hundred and eighteen pounds, so you know, the little guy but he was, you know, feisy, and he won seventeen bouts until he was matched, for some reason against a two hundred pound heavyweight who proceeded to knock him out and broke break his nose black as I black at his eye, And that was basically the end of the end of his boxing career, but the beginning of a you know, an amazing creative career.
Speaker 2: So after Chris's presentation, Rod Seiling Memorial Foundation board member and music journalist Gail Flug presented a really fun presentation about the Twilight Zones connection to rock music.
Speaker 11: And then there are these guys. The Canadian band Rush made their love for the series quite clear. The band mentioned Rod on the carressa Steel album, which was released a few months after Rod's death. Getty Lee said in an interview quote, the new album is dedicated to Rod Serling because he's one of our great teachers, and at times the band tends to be.
Speaker 5: Very Rod like.
Speaker 11: A year later, they included the song Twilight Zone on their album twenty one to twelve. Drum and Neil Perrot, a fan of fantasy and science fiction, was the band's primary lyricist and wrote many songs along these themes. When the band released the single as a limited edition single, this was the artwork and so Noe, without further ado, he is twilight zoned by Rush.
Speaker 2: So then the convention broke for lunch, and after lunch it was my turn now just to fill you in. After the TV program showings the previous I had brave to Binghamton night spot because I wanted to meet people. I was still feeling ill, but I felt that hopefully I was turning the corner. So I went out and I stuck to my plan of not drinking and had a great time meeting with older new friends. But unfortunately, as I sat outside, the warm Binghamton evening turned into a cold Binghamton night, which gradually crept into my bones as I sat there, and by the time I got home, I was a shivering wreck. Then the next morning, after a feverish night's sleep, I was even worse. I woke up and I could barely talk. I had a temperature and I said to Zach and Emmy, I just don't think I can do this. But because there was still a few hours to when I had to do my presentation, I just took my time and I dosed myself up and got to the theater. But I have to thank Zach and Emmy for helping me out, getting me medication and getting me there. And then when I was there, I have to thank both Gus Howerda and Chad Boyken for just making sure I was okay while I was there and getting me drinks and things. So I did the presentation and I got it done. It might not have been the performance that I really wanted to give, but I did my best under the circumstances.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back.
Speaker 12: Thank you for coming back. We were always afraid every time we let anybody go, we're afraid they're actually going to return, So thank you for returning. You know, when you bought tickets for sirling Fest, I'm sure most of you anyway, if you brought them through our website Zephi, it asked you how did you hear about sirling Fest? And the number one most cited source for hearing about stirling Fest was The Twilight's Own podcast with Tom Elliott. So we all love Tom, and I love Tom, especially because he gets to make me feel like it's solvent all the way from Liverpool.
Speaker 3: So Tom Elliott, thank you.
Speaker 13: Everybody, thank you, Nick.
Speaker 2: Hello, thank you very much. I appreciate that. So for the past fifteen years I've been the host of the Twilight Zone podcast, so when I was given this opportunity, So after my slot, my friend, an author of the Twilight Zone High Coup, Chad Boykan, took to the stage to read out some of his High Coup and he was also joined by another poet called Ricky Santa, who wrote a book of poetry called Stopover, which is all based on the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 6: He's the honor and career of jobber House Presses, the author of Mowie Tyme, The Lean Guy.
Speaker 14: To Conditioning, Training and Fighting, and of course the Twilight Sonikup, which.
Speaker 6: We're going to be treated to tonight.
Speaker 14: Which has been nominated for an Independent Publisher Book Award for Poetry.
Speaker 6: He's co authored the Cash You High Cocomic Zine, which.
Speaker 14: Will be published when We're twin dwenty five, and has contributed to the forthcoming book by at Press Outside Inn Can Live with It, one hundred and seventy four Deep Space nine Stories. He's currently developing Kitschu and Kfa essays on the uniquely interconnected history of giant Japanese monster cinema and the art of professional wrestling, and he can be reached at job erhouse dot com.
Speaker 3: Here's the man.
Speaker 15: That's so great to be among your people, isn't that can So A quick backstory in the book, A Twilight Zone haiku actually started right here at Sterling Fest five years ago in twenty nineteen. Like a lot of you, I learned about at surling Fest and the Rod Zone Memorial Foundation through the Twilight Zone podcast and Tom Elliott and I found myself here surrounding by Rod Serling Royalty, authors, scholars, musicians, artists, and if that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Inspire you to create, I don't know what will.
Speaker 15: So what happened is I wrote a few haiku about episodes of the Twilight.
Speaker 3: Zone and hosted them to a chat, a group.
Speaker 15: Chat Tom Elliott started for podcast listeners to find each other when they were here.
Speaker 3: Because they were a diaspora, they came from all over the place.
Speaker 15: It was fun to do. But something unexpected happened and a few people in the chat wrote them back to me. They wrote their own Twilight.
Speaker 3: Zone haiku, and that was the spark that started the inferno.
Speaker 15: That became the Twilight Zone haiku. So this place, this event, Binghamton, the Surling Fest, was the birth of this idea and this tribute to Rod Serling in the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 3: And one of the best things about this project has.
Speaker 15: Been I've been able to collaborate and do some incredible collaborations.
Speaker 3: And the first one is I actually.
Speaker 15: Got to work with Tom Elliott, who graciously agreed to narrate the audio book, so you can get the audio book on Audible, libro, FM, band Camp, all those places. And it was such an honor for him to do that because Tom's podcast is in reason I was here in twenty nineteen, so he does an amazing job. And of course he would expect he would reading the haiku. Unfortunately for you all today I'm going to be reading them, not him, but maybe it will be too bad, but it was really an honor for him to do that.
Speaker 3: He also wrote the forward and as a little preview to come.
Speaker 15: In his forward he wrote haiku fort Serling, and I'll be reading that today.
Speaker 3: I'll be reading one of Thomas.
Speaker 15: So the collaborations kept on to sort of promote the book.
Speaker 3: I worked with artist Karen Klutz, who turned.
Speaker 15: Some of the Twilight Zone haiku individual art pieces. The one on the left of the sixteen elemor Shrine is one of those, as she did. I also worked with Jason McBride of Weirdo Poetry on comic book art panels.
Speaker 3: With customs Twilight Zone I two haikus. We've got more of those coming.
Speaker 15: You can see those on our jobber House Instagram page or on our website.
Speaker 3: But these collaborations are really.
Speaker 15: Meaningful, and today I get to do a brand new collaboration right here on the starling Fest stage with Ricky Santor.
Speaker 3: This is a first and we're very honored to be able to do this for you.
Speaker 15: What we've done is we've paired our poems and there are different types of poems minor haiku based on the episode of Ricky's traditional poetry with the thieves and episodes and characters worked in.
Speaker 3: So if you listen closely to both, I hope that you will hear some of your favorites. And this is an honor to do this for you. Are one one for the angels. Kind salesman cheats death, makes the sales pitch of his life. There are no returns. The big Tall wish hardened pugilist.
Speaker 15: His bus has already gone with a child's selfless gift. The sixteen millier shrine beloved film Queen trapped in celluloid hammer, the past reels her in.
Speaker 3: Mirror image, waiting for the bus.
Speaker 15: She sees herself everywhere across the parallel walking distance dream of carousel Aeron, to which the laughing ghosts lived ever forwards.
Speaker 14: So the fact of my collection, I have methodically listed all the episodes that for various poems I know I don't have to do for this audience.
Speaker 6: So this poem you'll.
Speaker 14: Recognize eleven different episodes, and I have some pieces of dialogue in it, so all are all posibile, so you can hear those paul is called considered. When you consider a pitch to end all pitches, a pitch for angels, Some say what materializes in the dusty corners of your apartment will be a pitch as delicate as shame tongue silk carried across ocean in satchels underneath the roovy throats of birds.
Speaker 6: Then your performed scarp.
Speaker 14: Will touch down upon a vegetable's tapestry rug and proclaim your final excite. How euphemism spiral into themselves as our jewels slow and can tank or astatic clings.
Speaker 3: To our nose ears.
Speaker 14: How we want to chew the dat off our ticket to the immial lounge and just falling around the lush cornfield where we were wished ali ali els and free. How we yearn to get drunk on cocktails of instant smiles and cellul their serums, our inkies tapping our lips. How we limit to a parakeet mirror, our scavenger hunts for wrinkles, and dearly pay to have done what alchemists do with plastic death, will launch the trajectory of our accumulating selfies and leave us with.
Speaker 6: Our monkey minds.
Speaker 14: God snapped like undigestive bits of beef. So wag your tongue all you wanted that grandfather clock and sway your phone and a crew shay shaw to muffle calls from the grave branch shadows for play upon your sleeping face and your scar of brain too loose now for your fingers will twang to the fore.
Speaker 6: No such place as exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Next up, Author and Rod Sailing Memorial Foundation board member Mark Dewiziak gave a spirited speech about Rod Sailing's connections with Ohio.
Speaker 3: Really, from the horrors of World War.
Speaker 1: Two, Rod Serling decided to head for Ohio in nineteen forty six. I'm sure of what he wanted to do with his life. He was searching for a sense of direction, and first he was looking for a place where there was at least a chance, a chance of coping with his hellish battle experiences as a paratrooper in the South Pacific. To his great fortune and to ours, he found all of this and quite a bit more in Ohio.
Speaker 3: The Buckeye State.
Speaker 1: Indeed, the path that eventually would lead him to the land of shadow and substance, the Twilight Zone, truly began on the campus of Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. And this is where we start with the first image Rod Serling proudly wearing his Antioch College sweatshirt during the late nineteen forty stay at the family.
Speaker 3: Cottage on Cayuga Lake in upstate New York.
Speaker 1: It is no understatement to say that without Ohio Rod s may have never found his way to the fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to men. It was there that he discovered writer. It was there to be sure that Rod Serling realized he was a writer, and it was there that he learned his craft, served the apprenticeship, and honed the skills that would win him six Emmy Awards.
Speaker 3: And enduring fame and ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: This is the reason that we in Ohio consider Ohio holy ground. It is because Rod Serling actually became a writer in Ohio.
Speaker 2: So Mark stayed on the stage and he was joined by Mark Olshaker and Unsailing for a presentation about Rod Serling and his moral compass and how he brought that to his way. Yeah, and think about that.
Speaker 16: Think about Aya that Beholder for a second, and think about how it was relevant then. But think about today, think about this era of cyber bullying and anonymous online comments and relentlessly packaged and unrealistic ideas of beauty that people are being force fed every day by the culture, And then think about Aya the Beholder. It's more relevant today. It's so much more powerful a message today. And that's true of a lot of Twilight Zone episode.
Speaker 17: First of all, I just want to say that the Mark Twain suit is in is in honor of Mark, who has taken over, who has assumed the mantle of Hal Holbrook as the foremost interpreter of Mark Twain.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 16: Let's make up every year, I might.
Speaker 17: Add, as as Hell himself did.
Speaker 16: But I do want we should yeah throw this thing because I know Anna has something she wants to show.
Speaker 17: Yeah, And what we want to get into here is the everything's come full circle. I remember when Nick was interviewing me about the episode It's a Good Life, and he was asking me what I thought about it. One of the things I said was, it's about the consequences of parenting and not good parenting. I said, Now, I think I also realize, as Nick has shown us all, it's about what happens when nobody says no to you on the subject of parenting, which is very much like what was your parenting like?
Speaker 18: Well, my father was the polar opposite of what you imagine when you see the Twilight Zone and you see this dark image walking across the stage. Any serious and he's tight lipped because the dad at home was so funny, so kind, so sweet, and so silly. He was a practical joker. I wasn't going to share this story, but I am going to share it.
Speaker 6: When I was.
Speaker 18: About thirteen, I got my rumory decorated, and I got new wallpaper, and I did share this in the book.
Speaker 14: So I guess I can share this.
Speaker 18: I got new wallpaper and new carpeting, and I couldn't wait to get home from school to see how the room looked. And my dad actually came in the room with me, and I discovered in the corner one of the dogs had gone to the bathroom, and I was sunned, and I just sort of pointed to it, and my father kind of shrugged and walked over and picked it up with his hands, and I realized it was one of those fake things. But for months we would hide this on each other, and I hit it in his bedroom, and I hit it in his office, which was in the backyard. But my dad, it was very clear that what I really remember is racism really deeply upset him. And when Wallace was maybe going to run for president, I remember he threatened that we were going to move out of the country. Fast forward, but in terms of his own parenting, I wanted to read something that my dad wrote in his college application when he was twenty one years old. To the credit of my family, any inherent decency, all my liberalness and my ability to distinguish between right and wrong can be attributed to my training.
Speaker 4: At the age of ten.
Speaker 18: I believe deeply in the rights of all men and had a basic philosophy which maintained that a person was not measured by their color or their race. It's powerful and when I was writing my memoir, a friend of my dad's from Antioch College told the story of in Yellow Springs, there were just two barbers and only one of them would cut the hair of African American students, and my father was furious if anybody went to the other barber and actually started.
Speaker 17: According to this colleague, Mike Newman actually started a campaign to get people to boycott the racist barbershop.
Speaker 2: Now we all know the Twilight Zone Companion by Mark Zichre or Unlocking the Door to a television Classic by Martin Graham's Junior. While they're the definitive volumes about the Twilight Zone, there's only ever been one definitive book about the Night Gallery, The After I was tour written by Jim Benson and Scott Skelton. Now I owned the first volume of that book and it was great, But in the past couple of years Jim and Scott have updated it to a second edition.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I never picked up that book at the time because the postage to the UK was more than the book itself. But I was able to pick up a copy directly from Scott and Jim at Sailing Fest. And I have to say this book is remarkable. It's huge and just packed to the brim with photographs, new information, and interviews, and it is without a doubt one of the best and most definitive books about any TV show period that I've come across. And these are two very entertaining and informative guys, and they too did a great panel at Sailing Fest about the Night Gallery.
Speaker 16: I know that there's a tendency historically in Rod Serling's scholarship has sort of dismissed Night Gallery as lesser Twilight Zone, a last act.
Speaker 2: That didn't produce all that much.
Speaker 16: Your first book pretty much shot that theory all the hell. But this one really comes through to say, this is incredibly important show to Rod Serling's career. So why is Night Gallery important?
Speaker 19: It is Rod Serling's final foray into TV production, TV writing for TV before he essentially retired and started teaching. I think he felt he was didn't have the same juice he had when he started. I think he was realizing with his Night Gallery experience that he was his what do you want to call it is is his fame had not carried forward as he'd liked. He thought his name over the title of Night Gallery would give him essentially last say in creative issues, and he did not to his I'm sure his feeling that he should have probably gathered some He should have taken executive role, It should have been a showrunner, but he didn't want to give that much time away from raising his family, so he didn't do it, and Jack Laird became the showrunner, and that became the problem because he did not have the same relationship to the producer that he did on Twilight Zone. He had Buck Houghton there, who was an extraordinary sympathetic producer. He and Rod were on the same wavelength, and he and Jack Laird were oil and water. Jack was not interested in having the same sort of viewpoint that the Twilight Zone had. He was far more interested in being more out there, more revolutionary, more unusual in the choice. He was willing to take that energy from the seventies that was taking over and let Night Gallery run with that, which led to a highly varied set of tales, but not all of them were what Rod Serling would have okayed. Still, Jack was an excellent showrunner, he just didn't agree with Rod on choice of stories. Now, there were some great writers on Night Gallery, but Rod still wrote one third of them, and there was a rumor for years that he had nothing at all to do with it. Essentially he just had his name on it. But that's not true. He wrote a lot of the stories and some of them are some of the best stuff he ever wrote in my opinion. But that's why it's important to me. It's I mean, it carries forward Rod's Twilight Zone legacy and brought out some brilliant episodes as inconsistent as the show was.
Speaker 20: That's right, and beyond that, what made Nike Gallery important in my view is it was a collection of extraordinary talent both in front of and behind the camera. The artisans who worked on Nike Gallery were really the last generation to have worked with the great classic filmmakers like Robert, like Alfred Hitchcock and Orson Welles, the DP Lionel Linden on Night Gallery worked he was the Assistant DP I believe on the Manchurian Candidate and gave that film an extraordinary look. It also launched because of at least in part because of Jack Laird. It launched an amazing amount of careers, again both behind and in front of the camera. Of course, it was the first thing that Steven Spielberg ever directed. It was the first thing that Leonard Nimoy ever directed. It was the first television production that that John Aston ever directed. And it was the first dramatic debut role for Diane Keaton, Mark Hamill, Lindsey Wagner. It was only her second.
Speaker 2: Role in her career. Randy Quaid, I believe.
Speaker 20: Randy Quaid and and I mean the less you can just go on and on and on and again. A lot of the reason for that was producer Jack Lard, because he gave young people a chance who maybe other producers wouldn't uh and he he he went out of his way to help people in the business, which is very rare.
Speaker 2: Just ask anybody in that business. So, ladies and gentlemen, my coverage of Sailing Fest was not what I hoped it would be. In the ideal world, I would have interviewed the guests that were there, got some thoughts from the attendees or unfortunately, I was just in no date to do it, so I got together with my friend Zach and Emmy over in the After Hours Club for a little post event debrief, some of which I'll play for you now. So I guess we will finish up there. There's probably a lot of other stuff we could talk about, or just to finish off, I'm going to ask two questions of everyone. The first question is just name me. It doesn't have to be a favorite moment, because I know it's hard to choose favorite moments when you've had such a great weekend or a favorite moment from Sailing Fest.
Speaker 5: Well, again, it's going to sound self serving to you, Tom, but I think just just watching you give your presentation was fantastic because I mean, we're we're all here talking because of this podcast you started it, and then also knowing how many obstacles you had to get through to get to just physical obstacles as far as your travel and then overcome your sickness and all that. But to see you stand up there and give you presentation, which I know you worked really hard on, it really went off without a hit, really, and that was just a very fulfilling moment. So to me, if I had to pick something, I would say, you know, because now you're not just some podcast or workshires my friend now. So it's fun to see my friend up there doing some stilights on stuff. And I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Thank you man, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean that would be a very very close second for me to actually watch you do. It was pretty high up there. Mine is slightly different though. I think on the day after the unveiling ceremony, you know, everybody from sarling Fest, well pretty much everybody from serling Fest from our group all stuck together and had stayed to watch the unveiling, and we kind of had this hour after the unveiling had happened where people were going back on the carousel and we all just kind of wandered through the park and we would see people that we'd met over the course of the weekend and we'd wave and we'd chat to them, and we all kind of knew it was coming to an end, but where we're still sort of riding on the high and there was this moment I think where we all kind of felt like locals like we all felt like we lived a little bit in Binghamton. It felt like that real neighborhood feel where you were just seeing people that you've known for such a long time, you were saying hi, or do you want to get a lemonade? And you know, it felt so natural, so quickly for everybody that we had been with. And yet that is absolutely because you know, Tom, You've brought everybody together. We've created this amazing group of people who are just so lovely and kind and inclusive. But there was this there was this feeling at the end of the unveiling where we all kind of knew where we're going away, but for a moment, we all felt like we all lived there and that we were all just going to kind of catch up with each other the next again day, and there was something pretty magical about that.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to mention a couple of things. I'll try not to go on too long. So the first one is, you know, I did my presentation and people have been very kind about it, like yourselves, and I'm happy that it was okay. But I was very safe when I was doing it, and part of me felt like I was just saying the words you know, and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked, you know, which was a real shame. But as long as it played, okay, that's the main thing. But when I got off the stage, I was it was like, okay, I've done it now, you know, just like I want to crumple up into a corner and just go asleep or something. Now at the back of the stage was kind of like a green room, and then that led into the vendors room, and I just sort of wandered through, and I went into the vendors room and I'm just sort of getting my stuff together, and then all of a sudden, I, you know, I sort of look up and there's like a queue of people formed to come and say hello. And you know, I was feeling so rough and so bad, but I was able to just forget that for a little moment because it was so nice that all these people had come to say hello to me and introduced themselves and talk about the podcast and so on. Again, I don't want to mention names, but you know, there was Rebecca from the Girls, Ghosts and Girls podcast. She came over. Kenneth Saul, who's been a long time friend of the show came over. There was this lovely young couple who came over to say hello, and I thought it was especially nice because you know, the average age of people at this thing is quite high, or you know, they were these young sorts of Twilight Zone fans. It sort of meant the world that everyone came over to say hello like that. And then the second thing is that I missed the Saturday night that was supposed to be the big victory night. You know, we're all together, we're all having a drink, but I was just too sick, and I was watching all the pictures come up on the Telegram channel, and you know, everyone's having a great time. But it was fine. And then the next morning I got up and I was feeling a bit better. So you two were, you know, nursing your hangovers in your rooms. So I just wandered out a recreation park and I just sat by the carousel on the bench. It was a beautiful day, you know, and just watch the kind of comings and goings of the park. But then just gradually, as the morning went on and we got closer to the time, all these people just gradually started to appear. Oh there's NASA. You know, there's Joe Brown, you know, and it was just this natural sort of No one had said, oh let's meet at this time. It was just gradually everyone sort of gravitated towards the park because that's what we were there for. And it was just a beautiful day and a natural day. And then all of a sudden, everyone's together and we're watching this statue being unveiled. So that's that's a big memory for me. And even after having missed out on so much, you know, at least I got that time, and I was very appreciative of it. So I guess the second question is would you go back to sailing fest Zach.
Speaker 5: You know every on twice now in the last once every five years. I mean, to me, that seems to be a good pattern. You know, what's a good a good pattern to go every five years or so. I mean, went for the sixtieth, went for the statue unveiling. Look, I enjoy it quite a bit, but it's it's not just the place, it's the people too, right, So it would depend on who else is all gonna go and and all that sort of thing, all those intangibles. Because again I love and I respect all the content there. I mean, that's that's the backbone of why we're there, right, But it's it's that intangible, like you know, hanging out stuff. Everything outside and the outside of the program, so to speak, is the real stuff that I that I cherish and hold close in the memories. So I would go again on the right circumstances. But I think this, this five year rotation, at least for me personally, seems to be a good pace.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, so before I went, I was absolutely adamant this would be the only time I would go. It's it's not an inexpensive thing to come from the UK, as you know, Tom, you know it's there is there's an awful lot of moving parts that mean it can be tricky. I've got a young family, I've got a career, all this kind of stuff. It makes it difficult. And I absolutely was comfortable with the fact that I was going to come this one time. I was going to meet you guys, I was going to meet everybody. That was going to be the hurrah. And actually, pretty much from the second that I've come home, I've thought, how am I going to get there next year? And I totally agree with these acts like it is. If if hardly anybody from the core group said that they were kind of going, I might be more reluctant. Again, it's a huge outlay for us to get over there, in both time and money and everything. But I absolutely thought I had its own up. I thought, I'm going to go this one time. It's going to be great. It's the only thing I'm going to do, you know. And actually now I'm thinking, well, if the same crowd of people went next year, and we could all sit around and watch the presentations, different presentations again, same vibes as this year, and I get that. I think this is kind of like me trying to relive the weekend rather than me actually wanting to go to serling Fest again. I totally agree with that. But I think if it was possible for me to go again next year, I probably would. And I'm surprised by that. I really kind of thought it was gonna be a one off.
Speaker 5: I feel that because of me. I went again five years ago for the sixtieth and I was like, Okay, I'll do this once and I was like, oh, that was fun. And I think I left it saying like, oh, we definitely we got to do this again, right, And then I think and then it had been five years because we were all kind of waiting like what's the like, what's the big thing it's going to get us all to go again? And the rock sterling statue, I was like, oh, well, then we were all looking towards that as like, Okay, that's the next big one, and we all looked towards that. So if something else pops up between now the next five years, who's to say. But no, I definitely feel that feel that same thing. And there is more than one ticket for customer to badly pairaphrase to walking distance because I've been twice and I liked it, and I know that if I went again, it would you know, it's it's different every time, right, I mean, it's not going to be you can't all come well, you know, the first year we did this, the second year we did that, and yeah, that's all well and good, but that doesn't mean one is necessarily better than the other. And I'm sure if I want a third time that would have its own unique memories and things. So yeah, I totally I totally feel that.
Speaker 2: I Mean I said it many times on the podcast before I went this time that this would probably be the last time that I went, and what a last time it would be, you know the statue I was getting to present something on stage. The Rod Sailing Memorial Foundation said the number one reason that people said they had about Sailing Fest was through this podcast. And the turnout of podcast listeners and friends of the show was just incredible, you know, very humbling. And that's that's even the ones that I knew about being there. You know, people have emailed me since and said, you know, I was there, but I didn't come over. You look like you were swamped and stuff. So so there was more than I even said hello to there who are podcast listeners. So the turnout of podcast listeners was incredible. So if there was ever a year to bow out on, it was this year. But it didn't go as planned, you know, and I feel like I missed out on a lot because because of the travel issues that I had, and then by the time I got to Binghamton, I was just so sick. And I kind of feel that I would like to rectify that. Whether that's next year, I don't know. Maybe the thing that would get me to go back is, you know, I'm working on this book. And it would be nice to be on a table in that dealer room with a stack of this book that is the culmination of this podcast, and you know, be able to sign it and speak to people as they get the book. That would be pretty amazing. But I think both of you are a spot on. It's like who else is going? You know? Because goodness, did I ever ask for a better tan out than this one? I don't know, man, it was just insane the number of podcast people who were there, you know, people I haven't even mentioned yet, like the Twilight pone guys, you know, and and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Can I say something to that real quick, Tom, I think because you had met one of them before before, right, And I love the Twilight poone, I mean obviously the well it's the internet's third most popular twidzone podcast, as anybody who listens to it knows, but after you, I mean, I that was definitely that the twides one podcast listened to. And so when the three of you guys met kind of in person here this time, I was just sitting because we were sitting here with each other, and then you went over and talk to them, and like, I'm like, so like I kind of heard this. This heard this off the books crossover of these two podcasts. If you guys talking, Oh so you're you know, Fred and Tom and John, And that was fun to hear that. It's fun to talk to them and connect with them, because I you know, if you listen to the podcast, you would never expect that they would go to fest. But the fact that they came in a lot right and it was it was and they kind of out with us, you know, over the weekend. It was cool to put some names to faces. And yeah that anyway, since you since you mentioned them, I wanted to mention that as well. So and also, you know, Emmy, I think I've taken for granted now that you and I met each other on this on this trip which together, and.
Speaker 4: I only met Tom like for the first time to do this, I mean this, this was a big part of it as well. It's like all these people you've spent all this time speaking to interacting with this kind of stuff, and that was a big part of I think why it probably felt so natural and easy and not awkward in any way, you know, because as well as having this big thing in common, we felt like we knew each other really m yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So all that to say, I feel like I've got unfinished business with Sailing Fest. Like I say, whether it's next year, I don't know, maybe that's a bit soon, but I would certainly like to go with with that book complete, you know, and be able to speak to people, so you know, watch this space because what I would also say as well is that it would kind of break my heart if it was the last time I ever saw that statue, you know, and I want to go when it's sort of beded in, you know, the bricks are all down. It is what part of the scenery I would really like to go and see that again.
Speaker 5: So well, that works with my schedule, Tom, because the five year rotation, I think it's gonna about five more years. You finished the podcast and your books, wow.
Speaker 4: Thing, So yeah, that's that's your time schedule, Tom. You have you have five years, very maximum to finish the podcast and write the book.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm on it. I'm on it. Guys. Thank you so much for being such great travel companions, roommate and looking after me when I was sick. I really appreciate it, and thank you for coming back and talking about it.
Speaker 4: I've been talking about it to anybody who listened. Frank place well being able to do this as just an added bonus.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, it's funny just to revisit that great weekend, as I'm sure we will be doing until our next great weekend there at Bingington whenever that may.
Speaker 2: Be absolutely okay, Well, that's enough from us and our sailing fest coverage and I'll speak to you soon. Bye for now. So while that might be the end of our sailing fest coverage, it's not the end of your sailing fest coverage. In the next episode, I'll be handing over to some of the attendees so you can hear their messages about their experiences. Then after that it'll be back to business as usual with the episode number twelve looks just like you and I will speak to you soon