Speaker 1: Worst basketball game every West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Pick a jersey number.
Speaker 1: He sucked picket coach, he didn't do his job.
Speaker 3: On Kansas FLA.
Speaker 2: That's just every here you go camp country roads. Take me home.
Speaker 1: To a coal mine with my inbred I'll cole West Virginia and breeding and later to see beating bills.
Speaker 2: Every year, every single year.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm gonna go Dad. It was back on the puck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna well, as you know, the Daniel era was ten years ago, Landon and now ten years later, glad to see that they're not just they're diverse enough now at k at Ku to lose to West Virginia in every state. It's not just the road games that they're now losing to them in, it's all of the games. Yeah, all right, it's like a dot of the net.
Speaker 1: I win there, I lose there, I lose everywhere. Welcome to West Virginia and Allen Field House twenty twenty four. This is Camas.
Speaker 2: Dammit Bill, damnit l damnitil.
Speaker 4: So Kansas Kansas plays Virginia and it didn't go well, which we're quite used to on the show. But the safe space used to be Allen Fieldhouse, where West Virginia would build their ten point leads, melt them away in Kansas would escape with victories where we'd all convince ourselves were more impressive than they actually were. And sure enough, history looked like it was repeating itself on Tuesday whenever Kansas fell behind by a bunch to West Virginia. But then wait, they tied it and off to victory. They were final possession. All they need was to hold one more. Oh, come on, Floory, play some defense.
Speaker 1: Oh I'll just like, I don't want to put that on Floory, Like, it's just hard to it's hard to pay him.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's very because because earlier we said pick a player, they didn't play well for Flory maybe the one of two exceptions to that. But I'm gonna lead off here as we went welcome into the this is a safe space inside the paint on rock Chalk blog. I'm I'm unimpressed, but still hanging in there and predicting this team to win fifteen conference games.
Speaker 3: Crazy. I already said my name.
Speaker 1: I disagree with a lot of what Ryan just said. And I am Bob Huggin smiling down from the heavens above at his former school.
Speaker 2: Well you guys won't disagree with this. So here's just here's what I wanted to talk about before it gets lost. So I listened to that. I listened to a lot of radio. I'm in the car a lot for work, and after the game ended, I was working time to listen to who else but Brillian Haney, the last voice you'd want to hear on the last day of the year. I figured it was perfect listening to the postgame show, and Brian Haney, first of all, starts reading a Wendy's advertisement, just because it's what he does. He starts going, even though they lost, you gotta admit a Wendy's burger, doesn't that sound tasty? And I just thought to myself, that is that is. At least we know what Brian Haney is good at one thing, and it is and he's good at two things. He's good at being a horrendous announcer, and he's also good at reading promos. But then Brian Haney read about a guy that he met before the game, and this was a twenty year old man that was dealing with a cancer diagnosis, and this kid had been through They detailed a two year fight and how he was a big Kansas basketball fan and he wanted to come to Alan Fieldhouse for a game, so Kansas flew him out. He got a pregame Sorry, it's.
Speaker 1: I can't say that that's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get there. That's that's that's what we'll get there. We're going right for the throat today. So they fly this kid out to Allen Field House and apparently because he hasn't been through enough, they let brilliant Haney give him a tour of Allen Field House before the game. The poor kid and then after that, after enduring this, he has to watch that absolute see who on the court basketball game and I think, man, that poor kid's been through enough. I wonder if that kid after the game is like, you know what, you know what, Chemo really sucked. But watching Kansas lose after scoring twenty points in the first half to West Virginia at Ome, I I wonder if he'd think, you know what, I'm not sure which one is worse. I don't know. I'm sure I'm sure cancer was worse, but that but that that that that game was cancer for the eyeballs, because oh my gosh, was that awful? And uh, we're gonna talk about it, because what else would we do. You know, Brian Haney would would be like that, don't tasty to talk about this game.
Speaker 3: Are you guys excited?
Speaker 1: Ba humbug? I am.
Speaker 3: I'm pumped. I'm so ready to roll here?
Speaker 2: All right, Well you know what you guys are ready, then let's get right on with the Yeah, Harry, let's get right on with that. Let's rock. You know how many times I have read I swear West Virginia has beaten Kansas sixty two to sixty one, like four times in the last eight years. Like I feel like that's always that's always the game. West Virginia sixty two, more specifically sixty two number seven. Kansas sixty one will sucks.
Speaker 1: I think what makes this whole situation situation worse is I lived with a guy once. He was a West Virginia fan, and he was built like a cheese puff and he just had the personality of a cheese curd, and he sucked and he rubbed it in my face. Whenever Kansas lost to them, he followed me on Twitter and he would make sure to mention. And it happened to every single year. Because Bill doesn't like to beat West Virginia. And then this year, of course the one time where I'm like, hey, it's at Allen Field House, this will be fine. Nah, it's not. It's not fine.
Speaker 2: So in twenty nineteen and I show Landa Nick and I recapped West Virginia upset number seven Kansas sixty five to sixty four. And then so that's close. I feel like that just about every game up there they lost. But yeah, this type of game is to be expected West Virginia. Well here's your game story, steam rolling into Allen Field House was shorthanded in thirteen point underdog West Virginia who forced Kansas into a gouger eyes out twenty first half points, twenty points in the first half.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know what's funny. I'm not trying to cut you off, Ryan, but just for all of our listeners out there that are unaware of how our group chat works, how it works typically it's Ryan No with six straight inflammatory remarks, and Landon will chime in every like six hours hours and be like, ah, that's funny. Well, when the first half was happening, I was on a ladder at work, and no, I was not hanging myself from a ladder. But I was on a ladder doing things and during this whole time, my phone's blowing up, and I'm like, that can't be good. And so then I looked down on my phone and it's four minutes to go in the first half and Kansas has thirteen points, and I looked at my phone and I was like, how oh, sorry, carry on, it's just my little synopsis of the first half.
Speaker 2: And I, yeah, Landon does. Landon is not a man of many texts, but he delivers the ones that he sends, and canadbi are just volume type, fire off every thought.
Speaker 1: When you see Landon send like six text messages in a span of like five, it's either very bad, a nuke is coming or Kansas is getting obliterated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was one of them. It was the second one. Yes, it was so Kansas. They scored twenty points in the first half. The defense was only better by default because it was the only reason they weren't down fifty to twenty is because West Virginia plays in the Big twelve, therefore offenses hard. The deficit then grew to eighteen just after halftime, before the Jayhawks, or more specifically, the fighting Zeke Mayos started clipping away, finally getting the score tied with thirteen seconds left, a number that proved to be unlucky because Kansas was unable to hold on the ensuing possession. What a forced overtime. Javon Small draws a foul with two seconds left, He makes a free throw and helps the Mountaineers earn their first ever Lord knows they've been close a few times. This was the time they finally get their first win at Allen field House. There are some stats, some history behind it, but more importantly, whereas the Creighton and the Missouri games, they definitely exposed a couple things about this team that we said needed to improve. I think this is the first time this year that people are really sounding alarm bells because the Jayhawks loses a thirteen point home favorite their OH to one conference played for the first time since George H. W. Bush was president. And yeah, everybody, just go your thoughts. How about that? How about those Jayhawks?
Speaker 3: All bad? That was woof that was bad even even in the comeback. Now I will say full credit, Like we'll get into this later. Bill switches to a Floory and Hunter at the same time lineup. I can't remember who was primarily playing on the perimeter at that point, but Harris was out there. I now, Mayo is out there a lot.
Speaker 2: I was quite quite was like a plus fourteen in this game or something like that. He was there, and obviously Zeke Mayo and Harris, Yeah, that was the lineup that got him close.
Speaker 3: That lineup played outrageously good defense for a long stretch in the second half. Like full credit yea to that section of the game. The defense was excellent for a long stretch in the second half, and that was a huge reason why they got back. Even though even during the comeback, though offensively, yes, Zeke Mayo was creating things. He was getting to the free throw line of Ton that was really good to see. He played well, But like even then, that was just sort of like when you're desperate in two K and you don't know what else to do, so you have one guy who's your most complete score and you're just like, well, I'm going to get him the ball every time, and I'm going to try to do literally anything I can with only that player because that's all I have right now. And it almost worked, but not exactly. The most encouraging of comebacks either it wasn't a complete team performance. Really, it was good defense and one guy just gutting out getting to the free throw line. Really really bad stuff. I am dangerously close to selling all my stock on this team. I know it's one game in conference play the day before New Year's Nonetheless, this team, I don't think they're very good.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's similar to what we saw last year. It's the story has been the same with all three losses. They immediately fall behind horrendous starts. They trailed by double digits at halftime in each of their three losses, and then in each of those games less so with Creighton definite. This game really mirrored the Missouri game. It was just at home. They make a furious comeback with about ten minutes left after they've played pitifully for thirty and they just don't have quite enough to get over the top. We saw this happen lots year. This team would be buried ten minutes into basketball games. Think Texas Tech, Think Houston, think Cincinnati last year, just horrendous first halves that bury them. This team is not built to come back, especially when Landon As you said, they were really just depending on one player getting to the line and making one hundred percent of his shots to do that, Cam Landon's close to selling all of his sockets. Still pretty early in the year. This team's gonna get at least thirty three basketball games. They've only played twelve, and we know the talents on this roster. But are you close to selling your stock in the twenty twenty five Jayhawks as we are just two days into that calendar year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually I took a page out of Nancy Pelosi's book and I sold all of my stocks a while ago, on up a lot of money. I don't think this team has problems that are going to be fixed, and unfortunately, I think they could be fixed. But I think Bill self is very stubborn, and it's really it's the same thing as last year. I'm sorry, in like the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing that's crazy to me.
Speaker 1: You go into the portal, you get guys that are great basketball players, and you're the one that's getting them, and then you don't play them, and it's just it's so painfully obvious. Like there was a quote after the game and it said DeVries said he took a page out of his old boss's book at Creighton McDermott, and he just didn't guard kJ Adams. And I'm the first person to say I love kJ Adams. He's an awesome guy. But like you, it's just painfully obvious that this core isn't gonna work. Whether Bill will adjust to that, I don't know. I mean, we've seen it for they were what they lost, wasn't it fourteen games last year?
Speaker 2: I think it was third. I think I don't know if it was that. Man, it was eight conference games, there was thirteen couple tournament losses, it was. It was double digits.
Speaker 1: It was a lot. And my stat references.
Speaker 2: Oh you're talking about like literally last calendar year in twenty twenty four. Yeah, yeah, they lost like thirteen or fourteen games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was bad.
Speaker 2: It was like twenty and thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 1: And it's I mean, the cool thing about this team is that it can be fixed. And I think that Bill self, deep down knows he knows what he's doing. I mean, he's not he hasn't forgotten how to coach. And no, I'm not saying that this team isn't gonna make the NCAA tournament. That's not gonna happen. The floor's not gonna fall out, but I do think they have massive problems in this game pretty much showed all of.
Speaker 2: Them Land and you kind of sounded a little bit skeptical that Bill self that he might not be forgetting how to coach? Are you is that alarm bell going off the land and thinks Bill Self is washed horn?
Speaker 3: If I was going for just soundbitey meme sentences, I would say, yeah, Bill Self is washed and he doesn't have anymore. I think the real answer to that is that I think, like you're seeing in a lot of different corners of college sports, that I think the transfer portal era is a dynamic unlike that which we have ever seen in college sports. And I don't think Bill self has been very good at it at all. And I would dare anyone to tell me how he's been good in the portal era. Now, obviously he's gotten good transfers in his career, but the portal era in the last two to three years is an entirely different animal than what Bill self has recruited in.
Speaker 2: Hey, he was pretty good whenever he could, he was pretty good whenever he was the only one that was paying players.
Speaker 3: Now that everybody's doing it, yeah, yeah, and Cal sat in a room for a few hours, all right, and came up with this system. I think he is having a very difficult time adjusting to this. And I think it's very clear based on how these last two teams have panned out and obviously again panned out twelve games in. Like, don't get me wrong, but how the struggles, the specific struggles rotational struggles that these teams have had that Bill selfs teams do not normally have to this extent. I think is pretty solid evidence to say Bill Self is not fully comfortable in this era of college basketball.
Speaker 2: Well, we saw guys retire Shryzewski, Beheim, Williams. Was it because they were old? Partially? It's also because they said they didn't want to deal with this, That's what Nick Saban said, Like it's not for everybody, and you're seeing the younger coaches, the guys like Nate Oates and Danny Hurley, they've had more success with this, And I think Bill Self likes the transfer re portal more than most, But no doubt that it's a guy who's been coaching for forty years and it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. It's not that I don't think Bill self is willing, and it's not that I don't think Bill self is capable, But you're right. A year and twelve games in, the results haven't been very good, despite building two preseason powerhouses on paper. Here are some stats before we get into the players. It is the first conference opening loss for the Jayhawks since nineteen ninety one. That ends a thirty three year streak that, if we're being honest, had seen its fair chance of its fair amount of miraculous escapes. Oklahoma State was a bad team a couple of years ago. They almost wanted Allen. They needed a ridiculous comeback to escape there year Kansas barely escaped and on the bubble TCU team at the Buzzer. So there's all sorts of this streak should have ended a couple times. It's not necessarily that they lost the first game that goes to show they can't still be a conference champ. Houston started one and two last year and wound up fifteen and three, So it's not like this is a doomsday sentence, but we did from a Big twelve perspective, we talked about how the second half of the schedule is brutal. You got to have at least six wins through your first nine, if not seven, have much of a chance and doesn't help get in the first l at home. This is also West Virginia's first ever win at Allen field House in thirteen trips. Seeking of things that have come very close to happening before, this is the sixth time in those thirteen years if they had a double digit second half lead at Allen Fieldhouse. I guess one year it was just in the first half. They've had a double digit lead six times in those thirteen games. Finally got one done, and this was probably the most improbable team to pull it off of all those weird, weird, weird game all things considered, Cam, I know we probably need to get into the players, but overall this this has to be the most deflating loss of the three.
Speaker 1: Right I think so. I mean, it's one thing, it would have been more understandable if Kansas had lost one of the really good Bob Huggins teams. I mean, this team is down what two of its top players. It's it's just not it's.
Speaker 2: Again get into Kansas until like three in the morning, because the playing trouble. Yeah, they don't have their best shooter, and like this was a short and we did point that out as the comeback was happening. I said, West Virginia had all the makings of a team that could fall apart really fast because they were exhausted, they were racking up fouls, they were shorthanded, and we've obviously seen them fall apart in the environment at Allen Field House. And as a credit to them two different times that it really felt like that dam was getting ready to break. It didn't. Kansas cut it to two, and West Virginia quickly then made back to back shots to get it back to seven whenever it was at its loudest, and then right after that, whenever Kansas does tie the game and Alan Field, how how many times have we seen Kansas tie a game with fifteen seconds left and you need the other to not score to force overtime and they never do. West Virginia gritted in there and they Javon Small drew a really really savvy foul on a young player. So they managed to get done with so many teams, teams we thought were better teams that had better players, could not do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, it's funny. West Virginia also made some very difficult shots coming down that stretch. I can't remember who made it, but there was like a fade away from the baseline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like almost behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that was kind of what I And those are the ones that maybe that was right after. That was right after Doug Sermons called the over the back over and back call that set up the possession where that made they made that ridiculous rainbow over the top. Yeah, thanks Doug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean those shots that went in kind of just those are all the shots of West Virginia didn't make in those years at Allenfield House. So I mean at some point you had to think it would flip over. So it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Zeke Mao Landon. You've been the original Zeke Mao Stan. I feel like you should get the right to talk about him. He was the bright spot in a game that didn't have many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was really superman in this game, and he really did try to carry the Kansas world on his shoulders. Here for the backstretch of this game, he had twenty seven points on just thirteen shots. Going six of thirteen from the floor, four for six from two, two for seven for three, but he was thirteen of thirteen from the line, finally giving fans an answer to the won happen if they actually tried to get to the line question, which I was just thinking I was just talking about before the game actually that I was watching with my mom and I was like, who was very interested in this? By the way, I was like, hey, Mom, if Kansas needs to get to the free throw line, and if they do that, they might actually And then they did, and they still lost.
Speaker 2: But was one guy did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was fantastic. He deserved a lot better from the majority of his supporting cast, but he did all he could. He made some big buckets. He had a huge and one obviously got to the line. Zeke Mayo, you're innocent.
Speaker 2: He scored the last how many? Like Hunter had the putback at the second chance put back, but I think Zeke Mayo had. It wouldn't surprise me if he scored the last like twelve of their last like fifteen points like he scored the last six or maybe Hunter. Dickinson's layup was in between his three and his and one, so he scored at least eight of the last ten because Hunter made the one and one at the final TV timeout and that gave Kansas fifty one and they finished with sixty one. So he had eight of their final ten at minimum, And we we said kudos to us for banging this drum. We had said, Look, Kansas has good free throw shooters Zeke Mayo, aj Store, Ryland Griffin. They're all eighty percent career shooters, so if they get to the line, theoretically it should go well. Seq Mayo has been a great free throw shooter this year, so it it made sense to see him be successful after drawing fouls. But I'm with you, they are asking a lot of this guy. If Zeke Mayo becomes just average, let alone bad. If he becomes just average for a ten game stretch, Kansas might not be above five hundred in conference play.
Speaker 3: With that.
Speaker 2: He gave them twenty seven, and that should have been enough to beat a West Virginia team. You outscore West Virginia by twelve and the second half and get twenty seven from Zeke Mayo, that should be a comfortable win, not a loss. So yeah, I mean, we don't have a lot to analyze with Zeke Mayo. He was really good. Let's get into the other players, Cam, Let's go ahead and get the kJ Adams discourse going. I know that that's something that we'll be talked about. Tell me all about him and your most in your most subjective opinion possible.
Speaker 3: Cam.
Speaker 1: If a tree falls in the forest, but Kansas has a four guard lineup on the floor, did it really fall?
Speaker 3: Here's the tree for that question. But I, yes, you're right, I don't know exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Anyway, kJ Adams, kJ Adams did not do much rough go And again, I'm just gonna say this now, there's some people on Twitter. We do not hate kJ Adams. We were not actively rooting against Kansas to lose. We are not. We are fans of a program and we enjoy watching them, and we do not enjoy watching them lose. We're allowed to have opinions. Anyway. kJ Adams had a rough game. He had his worst game as Jayhawkey had two points, one rebound, three twenty eight minutes. He didn't sit until thirteen minutes, where he lapsed, at which point Kansas was already down ten points. He sat for the entire comeback run, only to be put back in with two minutes left, where he immediately filed twice. Bosha Goh had layup that was pretty bad and was the recipient of Hunter Dickinson's cross court last gas throw before missing that shot as well. I think Bill self has been doing mushrooms mid game because that that made zero sense. We're gonna Christian Laten style. That makes mary a pass down the court.
Speaker 3: He hallucinated kJ Adams as Christian Laightner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with that time, we're throw it.
Speaker 2: And Hunter Dickinson made an insane pass by the way, like it was right on the money, and Bill call time out and they asked him after the game, why didn't you call it?
Speaker 1: Tad?
Speaker 2: He goes, well, that was what I was looking Agatt, Yeah, what the hell was that? You got a great You could call time out with one two left and drew up. I don't know. Maybe the guy who's on an all time heater let him touch the ball and Okay, kJ Landon, I'll throw it to you in a second. Here's my kJ stick. I've met kJ Adams several times. Unbelievable guy. You can't help but think the world of him. He's obviously been through a lot of stuff. Nobody's rooting for kJ to fail, and if they are, they're the problem. Don't be on Twitter hoping kJ gets hurt or wishing ill of kJ Adams. He's out there giving the best he can for this team. It's also entirely fair to question if him playing the most minutes on the team game after game is something that Kansas should look for. And at this point, I think the more and more popular opinion is becoming that it is not. Because Bill self sits him and Kansas goes on a monster run and then for some reason, what what had kJ shown him that that would make him think I gotta get this guy back out there for two minutes. The miss layup is seemingly the most forgotten play of that second half of me when Kansas is they they're down one and they forced the turnover and kJ goes right at a guy instead of passing out of it. He doesn't don't get he's thrown. I don't even know if it hit the square on the back of the backboard. It missed everything. Yeah, and then the last shot. You can't really criticize the last shot. He had to get something up whatever, that's more of a.
Speaker 1: Code did get.
Speaker 2: I think he got fouled on on getting the ball more than the shot, but it remains to be seen. The point was call a timeout, Bill and then self after the game doubles down and says, you know, Rylan and AJ showed me nothing and Flori was good, so maybe we'll try three bigs Landon. Almost feels like we're being trolled at this point, that kJ Adams is getting this much run and is not producing anywhere near the return you'd expect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially when he had maybe the worst game I've seen him have since his freshman year. You know, it's one thing when he's just not performing to our expectations, which I would agree. I think we hold him to a legitimately good standard, and I think, I mean we're not Bill self, but I think you can watch kJ Adams and see the flaws pretty obviously, but he's not always this bad. This was this was really really bad. I also fully agree, Like I like KG Adams as a guy. He seems like a really fun guy. I've never met him, but he seems super nice. Obviously, what he went through last year, like it's hard to like dislike him, but like, yeah, what are we doing? What are we actually watching with kJ Adams at this point, especially in a game like this where you desperately need to score the basketball and West Virginia teams are gonna run this until it doesn't work and spoiler works, Alert guys. Unless Kansas bury's teen threes or Dewan Harris scores twenty six points, it's gonna keep working to run this defensive style where you just don't guard Dewan Harrison, you don't guard kJ Adams when those.
Speaker 2: Jumble Hunter as the floor. We've seen the screenshot like Kj's man is just totally cool with him shooting that fifteen footer and Hunter's got two guys on him and Dewan's guy's playing off of him, and yeah, why why would that not work? Like it's only not worked a couple times. John Caliperry tried it last year in the Champions Classic and Dewan Harris made five threes and scored twenty three points. And after the game that Kansas won by six, Cal said, Yep, that was our strategy. It didn't work. He had a great game. Tip your cap. Greg McDermott tried it, it worked great. Missouri tried it, it worked great. West Virginia tried it. Look what happened like and it's really discouraging because I think kJ has value. Kj's not a bad player. People calling him the worst starter in the celfair, No, he's not. Conter t Hans started at Kansas for God's sake, Like kJ, Adams is not the worst starter in the celfare. He has value. He should be. He's the worst seventh man. Yes, he should be coming off the bench and playing twenty ish minutes a game as that spark plug, as a hustle guy. Not a guy that should be. And I mean it proved it. He was a minus seven uh in in the second most minutes of any player I think in this game, like just as.
Speaker 3: The trio of he, Harris and Dickinson simply cannot be on the floor at the same time, they absolutely can.
Speaker 2: We saw this last year. We saw it last year, and for some reason, after an eleven or twelve last season, they ran it back with sixty percent of the same players. And I do I'm it remains maybe they're all the problem. I'm not blaming the guy who was a second team All American and I'm not blaming the guy who's the current big twelve leader and assists before I'm blaming Kj's two to one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you chang, he's the piece you have to change, has to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we it's just hard.
Speaker 2: We've seen it with just him. Change and it worked the Hunter and and the one with with quote but doom Gout and Mayo it worked great.
Speaker 1: A lot better it did. And I mean if you guys, if you're a poor if you're thinking of entering the transfer portal, like why would you go to Kansas right now? Like honestly other than money?
Speaker 2: Then there's that yeah, like why but because self self is saying such different things about aj Store and Rylan Griffin saying he didn't show me anything nothing, and then well you see out a kJ I didn't think he played that well, Okay, there's a big difference here, like like Bill has to choose. You have to choose. You you either have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable and try different things, or you're gonna have to be prepared to go down with the ship. And he's very loyal to kJ Adams. But you know, I always say the quote Will Smith had to shoot his dog at some point. Dan Hurley wouldn't play kJ Adams.
Speaker 1: That's such a crazy quote, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a crazy quote, but it's a little intense basketball. But but Dan Hurley wouldn't play kJ Adams. Go watch the guys Dan Hurley plays. They can all shoot or they can all rebound. It's straightforward. He wouldn't playing, and he probably My guess is Dan Hurley would have Zeke Mayo be his primary point guard too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, those just really stubborn. We we know this.
Speaker 3: If you're a high level transfer, aj stores zero zero zero and zero is inspiring you to come to the Jayhawks.
Speaker 1: Zero zero zero in a million dollars in a Jayhawk chain and the transfers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does wear a headband, I think, and it looks cool, but it's better than his zero points. Who are the transfers in the five yeah? Or not about Carlton's head band? So in the last five or six years, who are the guys that have transferred here and how many have worked? Charlie Moore was a disaster, Ddrich Lawson was good. kJ Lawson was awful, Isaiah Moss was pretty good. Jalen Coleman Lands was was was good. Who else transferred in here? Mamun was awful. Was well, that was a that was a chore and a half getting Bill self to suck it up and play the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cam Martin shot like five to three plays that I think had about the exact chance of be winning the lottery of going in.
Speaker 2: Cam Martin wasn't very good. They tried who else did they try last year? Obviously? Nick Timberlake was awful this year. I mean the the early returns on transfer, say, and Hunter Dickinson is good, uh so, but the early results say, like three out of four of these guys are swinging. Yeah he Son Dickens. Dickinson was a no douber. By the way, you can't screw up Hunter Dickinson. That's impossible statistically. So mccullor legitimately became a All America caliber player at his best at Kansas, Remy Martin helped win him a title. Again, a hard one to screw up, but still Dickinson's been really good.
Speaker 1: Kind of get screwed up though.
Speaker 3: He got as close as you can. Yeah, no to screwing a natural tuttle run up like am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Like regular seasons. I know he's hurt, but yeah, Bill's got to adjust or he's got it. He's gotta, I mean, crapper, get off the pot essentially with these transfers, like you gotta make it work or it's it's not getting easier. Guys, aren't I know that you love winning with your guys that are in school for three or four years. He's trying so hard to do that with Harris and kJ It ain't gonna work unless those guys are Jalen Wilson caliber players. That's the only way you win with that. Yep, nailed it all, right, Land, and tell me about Florid be doing. But let's talk about the bigs, because yeah, that too big lineup. As as hilarious and ironic as it was, it felt like a last ditch effort himself, and it worked great.
Speaker 3: It did work genuinely really well.
Speaker 2: Flory worked on defense great.
Speaker 3: It did work on defense really well. Mostly the duga got caught in transition once or twice, but otherwise he was fantastic and half court defense, and he was good in the game in general. Eight points eleven. He bounds in just seventeen minutes, really nice like microwave stuff from Flori And that's when the game started to turn. As we talked about when he opted to play both Hunter and Floor at the same time. Hunter himself had ten and twelve and thirty three minutes. He did have a huge second chance put back in the final minute, but he only made four field goals. Bill self suggestion after the game, will try three bigs next time, something bill self has wanted to do ever since he pleasured himself for the first time. He thought that was the only thing that came close to that feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kJ at the three might be the only thing worse than kJ at the four.
Speaker 3: Quick note on Hunter not all his fault, but also not like an outrageously good game, but definitely not all his fault.
Speaker 2: He's not getting any help from kJ. But man, the pick and roll defense. Like the books out on Hunter, he can't defend a pick and roll. Mark Few was the one who made that obvious for everybody to see. And kJ doesn't.
Speaker 3: Good in those first like eight minutes, like it was like they had. He genuinely had to get pulled sat because he was that big of a liability in the first like five to six minutes.
Speaker 2: But kJ didn't get pulled, Sir Hunter sure did, but kJ sure as hell didn't. Yeah, the second.
Speaker 3: Chance real Kansas basketball player.
Speaker 2: That's right, got some fouls. Hunter's best play of the game was the second chance put back. A lot of people have wanted him to be stronger through contact and more physical big that was a grown man's second chance bucket and put back. That was really good to see because that's the sort of stuff that we haven't seen a lot of from him this year. But no, if Hunter Dickinson has four baskets, you either have to make a lot of threes or you got to hold your opponent in the fifties. And they didn't do that. Cam. Stat Florie Badonga has one hundred and forty four percent of kJ adams rebounding total in just forty three percent of the minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really bad at math, but even my just atrocious UNDERSTATEUM numbers knows that's bad.
Speaker 2: And rebounding isn't everything. It's not everything, but it is it is something here.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cam, it's not everything, but when you can't shoot or do anything else, it matters. Yes, let's talk about's favorite players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want.
Speaker 1: To take it away now, you go for it all.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm giving Cam all the bad times today, But go for it.
Speaker 1: I'm I feel like I'm just a Debbie Downer right now. AJ Store and Ryland Griffin per bill self gave Kansas nothing together. They played lesson. They played one less minute than kJ Adams did by himself.
Speaker 3: Crime.
Speaker 1: I had to think about that for a second before I said it, because that's outrageous. Store quite literally did nothing. He posted a Tony Snell asked zero zero zero zero zero blocks in fifteen minutes. He was a minus fourteen in those fifteen minutes. Really good if you're playing golf. Ryland Griffin made a three and twelve minutes, which is basically saying Nick Timberlake came out of hibernation and saw a shadow on Groundhog's Day. In other news, AJ Store and Ryland Griffin contributed as much as I have to the gross domestic product of the United States, which is nothing.
Speaker 2: Uh, they need to play more landon. I'll give I'll give you Ryland Griffin. He hasn't. I don't think he's gotten a chance. I think he's done some good things. I think he's got to play more than he is. He needs a longer leash. But you kind of said AJ Storages kind of sucks and so far he has kind of sucked this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you could trade aj Store to nj I T for like three vending machines, I think you take that. He's he's terrible. I think I think the ship has sailed on Store. And that's nothing against him. Obviously he was brilliant Wisconsin last year, but like, what, like, what are what are we doing? Like there's nothing there? There is nothing there. And I'm for a while I agreed with you Ryan that like this was just playing more playing more like I've been on that camp with you and you know.
Speaker 2: We were both happy to see him starting in this game, so that opinion was still true like at the start of this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also like, look look at what this guy has done this season. There is not a lot to point to. I think, I I and this hopefully will be his worst game of the season. But I don't know how much we can expect Store, a guy that coming into this year was widely considered to be like the leading Canada to be a top two or three scorer on this team, and if he gives you anything, you're thrilled. Again, this is by far, hopefully will be by far his worst game of the season.
Speaker 2: But I sorry to get worse at zero zero, zero, zero and zero.
Speaker 3: He could be mine as fifteen or worse.
Speaker 1: Just such a bad fit.
Speaker 2: Well, and here's the thing with Store. On the last show that cam, you weren't on Landon and I said, if Aj Storre and Rylan Griffin do nothing, Kansas is a five hundred Big twelve team. If they both average ten points a game, Kansas probably wins fifteen league games. Those are the two I's gonna swing four or five games. Look how I mean so far? Good call?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nostrodams esque.
Speaker 2: What do you guys do if if it's me, I am starting both of them? They you can know.
Speaker 3: You can't say you can't they're not good enough to play?
Speaker 2: Are starting who? Because you we both know they're gonna start. The only change self is making in the Orlando game starting lineup is he's gonna take out AJ Store and start David Koy. That is the only change he's making.
Speaker 3: I think that's the only thing you can do that would be so stupid. I would start Ryland Griff. I would start Ryland Griffin because I do think Ryland Griffin has something in the tank. But otherwise I don't guys very much.
Speaker 2: I I would start four WHILET and I don't really care who that is. I I'm gonna ride or die with Store, and I understand that looks terrible, but I don't think this team can get anywhere without him, so I'm at least going to try him. I have more confidence in him turning into something than I do of this. This micro waved some of parts working without him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he was brought to Kansas for a reason. He was a really good player at Wisconsin. I just don't know if he fits in the lineup well. But it's also hard to fit in the lineup well when well, none of the line doesn't really fit well together.
Speaker 2: When your bench. Yeah yeah, let let let him play. Let him play more than kja.
Speaker 3: Aj stoes kJ Adams. But he can shoot thirty percent from.
Speaker 1: Three actually take honestly, that's an incredible take.
Speaker 2: That's not fair to kJ. kJ is better than AJ Store right now, like, come on, had a bad yes, yes, right now, Yes, I don't think Kansas can go very far if that stays true, but right now that is yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but look at what Aj Store did it Wisconsin. He can he can play.
Speaker 2: He's a good plain j kJ scored had thirty stat Kansas.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm telling you he can. I know, but that's that's him playing like thirty plus minutes a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I no doubt on that. AJ needs to play more than kJ if Kansas wants to get to where they want to go, and maybe that way, maybe it's not possible. Maybe both outcomes lead to not going where they want to go. But we've seen what it looks like with kJ, show me what it looks like with AJ. Something we've als seen is the refs. Hmm, you suck ass refs there. I say, blanded on that one. I just put the refs in there. On one hand, you could point out how Kansas shot twenty one free throws to West Virginia six, then cert meme cam always ends up Bob Huggins pulling up his pants and yelling at the refs. On the other, you could point out the three massive calls in the final two minutes all went the way of West Virginia. Doug quote bitch ass sermons calling an atrocious over and back call against Zeke Mayo, which which was a direct four point swing Hey, look at me. I have a whistle and I'm here to use it. Call by one of the greatest at that and then Florie Badounga being whistled for Javon Small jumping into him with two seconds left. I can't believe they called that. By the way, I cannot. I'm not here to tell you it was a horrible call. It was probably a foul, but they never call that.
Speaker 1: I'd like to point out that our group chat picture is Bob Huggins trying to hold up his pants at allen Field House and failing. Yeah, that's an iconic picture hanging in the loover well.
Speaker 2: And then you had all of the and then you had all of the the kJ Adams last play stuff, which I'm fine with that not being called anything. Uh, But I then I think, I don't think you can call the Javon Small play and not call anything there if you're if you're gritting your teeth into we are here to call fowls. Regardless of what that clock says. I think he gotta call kJ getting mobbed on that pet Cross Court pass. You imagine it gets called in kJ misses both free throws. What Twitter looks like.
Speaker 1: I would not want to see that. I would feel so bad for the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: He probably wasn't on for two honestly, and then Kansas is losing overtime.
Speaker 2: And then there wasn't a white guy of the game. But we may as well give on to former day Hawks Joe Yessefu who went two for two from three, because of course he did. Uh do you guys know out of the sixty nine games he played at Kansas, how many times do you think Joe YESAF he went two for two from three?
Speaker 3: Nice as zero?
Speaker 1: I'm assuming zero that is correct.
Speaker 2: He didn't do that at all at Kansas, but he did make that really really long end of shot clock three against Arkansas when we thought the fighting norm Roberts were getting that win. That's the only Joe YESAF players.
Speaker 1: That was insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah you remember that, Okay, that was like Trey Burke distance name three plays Joe Yesifo made for Kansas.
Speaker 1: Go that.
Speaker 2: Speaking of transfers, that didn't work, we didn't. We left him out of our transfers list earlier. There was another one, guys, he played on Harrison playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a point where Bill self said something where he was like Joe yes, if he's really been rounding a corner in he's gonna surprise the people. And then he came out of the next game and shot like one for ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know a lot of fact check me on that, but.
Speaker 2: I remember a lot of miss threes and he didn't miss any in this game. Other players that aren't worth talking about too much, Dwan Harris had eleven points and seven assists in thirty eight minutes. Hilariously, Bill self said with the brilliant any pregame interview that I listened to that Dwan Harris needs to be a twenty eight minutes a game guy instead of thirty five plus. So of course he immediately throws him out there for thirty eight of them. Harris played well down the stretch, but he missed a lot of layups that contributed to the whole being dug as deep as it was her usual. When Kansas plays well, Harris is normally playing well. Whenever they're not, he's not. David Quite didn't score in seventeen minutes, but did lead the team in plus minus with plus fourteen. That's unusual to have a guy be plus fourteen to not score. Ricky's Passmore and Shack Moore played two minutes each. They did nothing. That's you, that's your team. And Darren Peterson was in the house. He got a big ovation. I think that they should give Darren Peterson Zach Clemens's jersey, start him next game and just see if anyone notices.
Speaker 3: I would try.
Speaker 1: They share a lot of Yeah, they share a lot of similar physical attributes.
Speaker 2: Peterson's gonna be a lot of fun. Kansas fans are finally gonna get a guard that can score just in time for the twenty and ten centert to go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I have no comment.
Speaker 3: Final numbers Kansas thirty nine percent got final Oh okay, Oh yeah, they're exciting. I'm gonna back off.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Thirty nine percent from the floor, twenty five percent from three. That number gets worse if you take out Ze Mayo ninety one percent of the line. They were great there. Uh they were plus one on the glass, which is impressive because it was a horrible first half. Uh, and they only turned it over eight times, Like that should be a win if you look at this, it wasn't because uh, well, and they were only minus two and the three pointers made it felt like worse. Yeah, West Virginia try to give them that one, and uh it didn't. It didn't work out. What are my thoughts? I thought the game was total soundboard needs to there. That's where I thought the game was.
Speaker 3: I concur I agree, Yeah, how.
Speaker 2: Many Big twelve games win?
Speaker 3: Yeah, less than twelve. If they get to thirteen, that's a minor like that. That'd be the high end of this.
Speaker 2: I think, wow, I know what, there's one with fifteen. Come on, Bill, don't let me down.
Speaker 3: Ryan. They are not winning fifteen Big twelve games.
Speaker 1: There's just like, there's two ways this can go, all right. I've had a lot of time to think about this in my thoughts, there's two ways this. Yeah, I know it's scary. There's two ways this can go. Number One, Kansas continues to play the Big three of misfit toys and they can't score and they go about five hundred. Or they can turn it around and they win between thirteen in fourteen Big twelve games, and we say, you know what, that wasn't that bad. But yeah, they lost the league because they lost to a terrible West Virginia team.
Speaker 2: I just can't get behind Hunter Dickinson and his second Team All America status being in the trio of a point guard that cannot shoot or score ten points a game and a six foot six four man that can't rebound or shoot. Like, I know, Hunter is not a perfect player, and I defend him too much, but like I cannot put a guy that averages eighteen to eleven at Kansas in the misfit category. It's really just the two guys. He's not figure out.
Speaker 1: No, that's not what I'm saying. He's not the problem, but there's clear problems that everyone except for Stevie Wonder aka Bill Self sees and that's where we're at, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, whenever we talk about the rest of the teams in this league, maybe we'll feel a little better. Let's give it a shot by big twelve games, Landon, you said just a minute ago. I believe that you're so excited, and you missed this segment substantially over the last half year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing makes me quite as joyful as reading a bunch of mediocre teams scoring sixty two points against each other.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what's this first game? We need to talk about how Bill self might be able to learn something from his cross state counterpart because Kansas State seventy number sixteen Cincinnati sixty seven, leaving us all saying, Ima bitchesches could then assist from God, who told Jerome Tang to start Doug McDaniel. I'm sorry, I need to play the sandstorm here. You know we have to rock out. Oh it's not even on the sunde. There you go one second, let me just look that up. There we go. God will be assist Jerome Tang. He told him to start Doug McDaniel just hours before this game tipped off, per Jerome Tang. Be nice if God could tell Bill self not to start kJ Adams. Kansas State got twenty and ten.
Speaker 3: Peck gave God to tell him that it's quite evident by his eyeballs.
Speaker 2: And they got another seventeen for McDaniel. Kansas State upsets the Bearcats at bram Ledge. They've won three straight Big twelve openers for the first time in the history of this conference. Is since Kansas currently Yeah, is Cincinnati a fraud much like currently might be? I think that they're No. I think Big twelve road games are just hard. Yeah, I can't call them that after one game. Right after I call Kansas that after one game Kansas at Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It'll go great. It'll go great, I promise. Number fourteen Houston sixty Oklahoma State forty seven Landon Houston is still the same team.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: With disgusting but really really good and effective defense, Houston gets a win here. They held the Cowboys touff fourteen baskets, which matched their fourteen turnovers. So I know. That's my favorite motif in reading the twelve games is when the team has near less or as many baskets as turnovers. That's that's what keeps me alive.
Speaker 2: In that game, Alma State had fourteen baskets. We all admit that's total. Right, that's horrible, Yes, very bad. That is five count them, five fewer baskets than bill Seals Jayhawks did at home the other day.
Speaker 3: Really gross. Twenty points from Juwan Roberts for the Cougar is another eighteen from LJ. Crier. Houston very well could be seven and oh when they head into Allen Field House in three weeks as their next six games are b y U TCU the Fortress of Solitude that is Brambwich Colsum to play Kay State West Virginia don't count wins against West Virginia or at UCF in Orlando and then Utah who no one, no one may lose to Utah this year they are seven and oh coming into Allenville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're calling that. Maybe there's a I mean it's only two road games, like like alright, no, they'll be they'll be six and one whenever they come into Kansas and they'll lose to Kansas and then they'll beat Kansas by forty at home. That's that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Seems like a likely Yeah, pretty much checks out.
Speaker 2: Arizona ninety t see you eighty one actually a decent big twelve game from an offensive perspective.
Speaker 1: Cam Yeah, uh, the Wildcats got good Caleb Love in this game. Some good Caleb Love and as he erupted for thirty three point seven rebounds and seven assists, Arizona by twenty six twos and seven three. Something that will warn Bill Bill Sooff's heart and race shot. Oh you wrote that down, didn't you? Yeah? I didn't read that fast.
Speaker 3: Look an me go.
Speaker 1: Who would have thought I'd be illiterate? Ernest Ude had ten and fourteen for the horn Frogs, who appear prime for another eight and ten season. Shout out to Jamie Dixon and his skunk hair.
Speaker 2: Jamie Dixon's just stealing checks at this point, like, we gotta we gotta launch an investigation now this man's still employed because they are just so underwhelming. Also, I may have oversheit Welfare merging land and they don't feel eight and ten. This TCU team feels like six and fourteen.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, that's probably true. I think this team is decently worse than most Jamie Dixon Horny Frog teams. Seems that way anyway.
Speaker 2: Number three Iowa State seventy nine, Colorado sixty nine. Hey, hey money, Iowa State did what they do best, forest turnovers, and at a high rate. Colorado committed nineteen times nineteen turnovers and Iowa State got twenty bench points from Curtis Jones. By the way, Kansas twenty bench points in the last three presidential administration's worth of games. I believe Joshua Jefferson had a wild stat line thirteen points, seven rebounds and eight count them eight steals. Hello, that's a lot of steals. How many do you think you'll have against Kansas twenty four?
Speaker 3: More than three?
Speaker 2: Gosh, Landon's short red here number two because these games are going for frickin ever, number twenty five, Baylor eighty one. No one's beating Utah this year, fifty six.
Speaker 3: No one's losing.
Speaker 2: No one's losing to Utah this year. No one's you losing to Uta. Utah over under two and a half conference wins for Utah.
Speaker 3: I'll go over two and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, over for sure. They're gonna snatch three.
Speaker 2: I know one team they might get out home.
Speaker 3: Dam it wasn't bad.
Speaker 1: If Kansas loses. If Kansas loses a statement, I will get castrated. I will get castrated inside of a Denny's.
Speaker 3: What would you have to do to convince Denny's to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Nothing, And it's just an Almos Chicago thing. Dude.
Speaker 2: That's so.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's on me. That's on me. I should have done better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Any Way, back to the show nineteen for VJ. Edgecomb and the Bears, fifteen and fourteen for nord Chad ohmi a uh and this one exactly how we thought it would. We all answered, will youu Tah finished last in the Big twelve? I think we all would probably say yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking of speaking of games that all went exactly how we expected it would. Does anybody have the Kansas West Virginia score anywhere? Anybody, anybody at all?
Speaker 1: Never happened. Allegedly, Solvio de Soosa played, Yes, didn't go.
Speaker 2: This game didn't go how anybody thought it would though. UCF eighty seven, Texas Tech eighty three. Oh boy, Cam, looks like UCF's a total dorm att in an easy win for our Jayhawks on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's one thing I know. It's trust Billsoff. On the road, fourteen point underdog, UCF went int lubbag and shot fifty two percent against a typically stingy defense, making ten threes and building an eighteen point lead against the Red Raiders before holding on late. Mark Adams was not there to talk about serving your master. Twenty four points for Darius Johnson. What's your prediction for the line for ku UCF. I'm gonna say Kansas minus six and a half.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you think it's that high because this is me running to my local casino to pound the UCF b read.
Speaker 1: Actually, no, it's gonna be I guarantee you it's like four and a half, four and a half, three and a half.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was gonna say the first number I thought was maybe three, Like that's I think that. I think that they are gonna win. But I'm not touching anything that's got KU as a road favorite. That's painful. YU seventy six Arizona State fifty six. Not the best start for land In surprise sleeper team in the Big twelve, as they shot just thirty seven percent and they only made six of their twenty nine threes. A white guy named Richie Saunders. There's a picture of Richie Saunders in the notes. Uh he's thirty eight years old and has four children. As what I wrote, and then Cam adds, this guy definitely isn't banned from your local elementary school or Chuck E Cheese because Richie Saunders looks like a midlife crisis having suburban data four and you cannot tell me otherwise. But he made six threes in route to thirty points for BYU. Provo is on the docket for Kansas this year. I predict it goes.
Speaker 3: Bad Ooh same, I think that's a loss. I'll call it from here.
Speaker 1: That guy looks like he drives like a Chrysler minivan with candy on the back of it and then just opens the door and just screams out to children.
Speaker 2: He looks like everybody that's ever gone to BYU and uh, well, yeah right, that's sad. Big twelve standings, Wow, is this exciting? Kansas State BYU, Houston, Iowa State, Baylor, West Virginia, UCF in Arizona, we got an eight way tie for first. They're all one to know.
Speaker 3: And believe it or not, there's an eight way tie for second KU, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Utah, Sincina takes a tack a TCU are all in one.
Speaker 2: Some would say that's tip to nine, not second, but that kind of wow.
Speaker 3: Whatever, whatever the difference is.
Speaker 2: Minimum other games, there's not many other games to talk about today. The Big East looks like it'll be a two team races. Number eight. Marquette obliterated Providence on the road at number eleven. You did naughty things to De Paul in Chicago. Cam, you're in Chicago and you're pretty good at basketball. Do you think you could help them out? Can somebody help De Paul? No?
Speaker 1: But hilariously, my girlfriend's mob gave me a DePaul basketball share for Christmas because it didn't fit her son, and I washed it once and it's already too small and I don't think I will ever wear it.
Speaker 2: Can't believe that she wouldn't want to hang on to an item liking to paul basketball shirt. Those things have got to be worth a lot these days. Both Yukon and Marquette are three to zero conference play. They're both quite good. Creighton did get a last second win to beat Saint John's. I also know somebody else they beat this year, But injuries figure to keep Creighton out of the conference race because they don't have creepy ass pop isaacs and is thirty points against Bill self there for the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: Over in the acccene, Duke blew out Virginia second Cameron. They are three to zero ACC play, their heavy favorites to win the league. They are tied to top the league with SMU Who. Ryan and Cam learned we're in the ACE say this week we did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm top pay attention to sports?
Speaker 1: Who all that? Ryan? Yeah, I actually learned that a couple of weeks ago. I was watching a game and I was like, huh, why are they in the ACC title game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's Oh, yeah. I saw that they were playing a game this weekend. I was like, that's a cool non conference game this late in the year. And no, it is definitely not a non conference game.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Yeah, and then three Big ten teams open up two and oh, my personal favorite, tom Izzo, Michigan State fifteen, UCLA and my other team that I kind of appreciate but really don't because Trey Burke is a thing, Michigan. There are approximately forty five teams in this league, probably none of them are that good, and they all played a snails pace minus Michigan. Speaking of a snails pace, here's a crazy fact of the week. Are you guys aware that there was a great molasses flood in nineteen nineteen in the North End of Boston, Massachusetts, where a tower of molasses spilled open. Hot molasses flooded the streets, killed a lot of people and injuring one hundred and fifty killed twenty one people.
Speaker 2: Actually, wow, really twenty one people? Like did they drown?
Speaker 1: Or how does that?
Speaker 2: How deep was he you?
Speaker 1: It's not that it's deep. You have to think, like, so it was thirteen thousand short tons of molasses. That's a lot, and then it was hot molasses, so it wasn't like it was cold. It was hot, like boiling hot molasses. And I can imagine that wouldn't be fun. Wow, that educational segment of itp.
Speaker 2: It sounds awesome at first, as somebody who I don't even this is a true fact about me, It's gonna blow your minds. I promise I have witnesses here. Whenever something sits in the oven at three hundred and fifty degrees, I do not need oven myts to pull it out of the oven. I can just reach in and grite and put it on the stove because my hands are always.
Speaker 1: Why would you even try that?
Speaker 2: Because it's a good way to warm up your hands. And I'm perfectly fine, Like, really that's a thing. So I think that sounds kind of awesome. Okay, but you know, don't you don't don't.
Speaker 1: I don't quote me on the temperature of it. What I will say, and I can quote this part. Molasses was waist deep and cover the street and a lot of people died. So never underestimate molasses. That's your insightful educational portion of the show.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure there's some in the cabinet I'm gonna look at it every time and be like, oh wow, that killed that killed twenty one people in Boston back in the day. But they were in Boston, so were they bad people? That is what people want to know.
Speaker 1: This was before Tom Brady, Okay.
Speaker 2: So they were probably alright. And that's I'm looking. I was looking to see. I was looking to see if any top twenty five teams lost today, and number nineteen Gonzaga is beating Portland thirty two to eight right now. Like you want to talk about a league that maybe Kansas could win, gosh awful one to Kansas to lose a road game in the WCC, are you counting in Zaga? Do they have to play in Spokane?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Other than no, they would not. They would eat that feel like they would. There are thirty teams in college basketball that would run the table in that league.
Speaker 1: Fair.
Speaker 2: But number seven Kansas does not play in that league. So they are on this ranked teams to lose since the last show. It doesn't say that. It actually says number seven they lost to West Virginia.
Speaker 3: Doesn't quite say that either, but.
Speaker 1: Says a lot more.
Speaker 3: It's Bill Seth's stubborn sixteen. They lost to Jerome Tang. Perhaps they lost to God and they definitely lost to Doug McDaniel in case state.
Speaker 1: God also told Jerome Tang. God also told Jerome Tang that Coleman Hawkins was worth it. So you know, well, he works in mysterious ways.
Speaker 2: He did play, He did have twenty and ten in this game. He was quite good. All right, now, let me blow the airhorn here. All right, let's look at these ask CBS. I'm sure these can't be Oh my god, oh my humans that asked those questions this week. I mean, I knew it would be bad, but I didn't think it'd be this ridiculous. This is gonna be and this is gonna be a burner.
Speaker 1: Start off.
Speaker 2: Let's start off with a safe question at Ryan unders Scoorlandras who was the best basketball player in the history of the NBA.
Speaker 3: Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: No, that's notice I say Michael Jordan as well.
Speaker 2: That's no, that's just not correct. Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Lebron has more longevity, and Michael Jordan was better than him at his peak.
Speaker 2: Michael Jordan got the play against post workers and mailman at his uh in the NBA Finals back in the day, Sir, Lebron James plays against guys with the last guy on the bench was a forty college three point shooter.
Speaker 3: H I think you are deeply undermining the NBA in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Maybe. Yeah, Michael Jordan he got the crap being out of by like the Pistons. He didn't have I mean, it wasn't that easy.
Speaker 2: Well oh, I'm not saying it was easy, but Lebron James has had to deal with the freaking Warriors like you. You think Jordan would have six rings if he got to play Steph Curry and Clay Thompson in the finals a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe he had to play Charles Charles Barkley is one of the best players to ever never win a title.
Speaker 2: Steph Curry is better than Charles Barkley.
Speaker 3: I agree, but I also like John Stockton and alone those guys ripped.
Speaker 2: It is possible. Yeah, the Celtics because they did play in such different eras. Jordan was the toughest. Jordan was the most clutch. But but Jordan.
Speaker 3: He points a game for like the majority of his career.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, he was a certifing psycho path too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, he was he's he's a freak. I'm curious to see what rock Chalk Twitter would think of that. Maybe I'll maybe I'll post that.
Speaker 1: As a question.
Speaker 2: All right, this this, We're gonna go all over the place here. Let me see if I can get let me see if I can group these. Let's start with kJ Adams. Here's a whole whole bunch of them at Travius ninety nine. Should head coach Bill Soff just say F loyalty? And uh okay, well, hold on one second. Let's let's address this. Let's address the Travius ninety nine question, because there's a little bit of grown at rock Chalk Blog about how rock chok Blog has helped turn people against kJ Adams, that says Bill self should just say F loyalty and run an athlete out of town, even though they've spent their entire adult lives positively representing the school. Let's talk about this and just address something and all start.
Speaker 1: We've always said that though I run the.
Speaker 2: Rock Chalk Blog Twitter account, so I'll own this one. If there are people that have changed their opinions on kJ Adams as a person because of things that rock Chalk Blog is tweeted that is the wrong idea and that is absolutely not what we're going for. I personally don't believe that's true. I don't believe anybody hates kJ Adams as a person because of what Rock Chuck Blog has said about his basketball ability. But no, kJ Adams is represented the school great and Bill self should absolutely not run the man out of town. Reevaluating how much he should be playing with certain lineups is very different than saying piss off, kJ, I don't want you on my basketball team. That's not what any of us have ever claimed to say.
Speaker 3: Although I would like to come clean as true as that is from Ryan, I would like to come clean and say that I have been paid by George Soros and Saudi oil conglomerates through the agenda against kJ Adams in the Kansas basketball community. This is Sarcastle.
Speaker 1: kJ Adams is a Russian asset. I'm just kidding. I like kJ Adams. I always have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's never been about that. Like people need to relax. We're we're idiots that have microphones and a computer and a wife and a Wi Fi connection, and like that's that's all it is. You know.
Speaker 2: So let's get all the lineup questions out here. Let's start with Hunter Dickinson. At Coach Underscore Chef says, what is it about Hunter's offense that makes both you and coach South blind his defensive effort or miss bunnies or the guaranteed one of two Hunt free throws? Oh, I know, it's gotta be the lazy Pixie says, all right, So there's a Hunter question, and then there's amazing question from at dick Underscore taser that I read whenever I was at a furniture store and I busted out laughing. He says, Bryan, you are not allowed to answer this, Cam and Landon. Did Ryan appropriately call out Hunter for getting totally clowned by third string Cuban League catcher edwardio Andre or did he blindly swing from Hunter Dickinson's coin perst per usual.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Oh Wayne, you're great, that's fair.
Speaker 2: You guys can answer that.
Speaker 1: Then there's also I was never addressed.
Speaker 2: There's also at Coach Underscore chef, why does Hunter get to be atrocious on defense for two years and get to play freely, but Store and Griffin can't be bad for two minutes without getting yanked. All right, then there's that Daz conscience that says, how soon can we move on from Harris Adams and the empty calorie stat line notes of one Hunter Dickinson. And he's a big or smaller less effective Ddrich Lawson Four questions about Hunter dick Dickenson. You guys, go for it.
Speaker 3: Uh, he is a bigger, smaller, less effective dejer Clawson. I'm I'm glad the world's finally ready for that take. Yeah, you're also right on.
Speaker 2: There also, So Ddrick Glasson was really good.
Speaker 3: Deegri Glawson was amazing. Yeah, he is a Hunter Dickinson, despite being terrible on defense, is a much better score than either Ryland Griffin or aj Store, which is why he plays. Those are my takes on those two questions.
Speaker 2: Cam, your thoughts on Hunter Dickinson. You've been on both ends of the spectrum a little bit with this, and I think have recently seen the value that he has provided in wake of the team not playing as well. I definitely never intend to sound like I'm swinging from Hunter Dickenson's coin per sas Wayne Kerr says, I see a guy that's averaged eighteen and eleven. And I'm not saying he's the best basketball player ever. I just think there are a lot more guys, a lot more things that you could blame the team struggling on than the guy that's going out and getting you stats. And the people who claim that he's just collecting empty staff. Well, I think the team is worse if the team doesn't have those stats to begin with. I think Hunter Dickinson has won them plenty of games. He hasn't played well in their losses, but he's also won them a handful of games in his career as well. They would be much worse without him. They don't make the tournament last year without him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think it's more or less. It's it's kind of the old who is who's the player? And it's it's crazy. I can't remember this. It was Iowa State. It was when Perry Ellis had some great duels with the Iowa State George Yang. It's the same thing. You can't replace what he's doing on offense with You can't take him off because he's giving up some buckets. He's this team sucks without Hunter Dickinson. I'm sorry, who's gonna play in his place Freshman Flory.
Speaker 2: It's basketball. It's basketball, Lebron James gives up buckets all the time. You're not gonna score twenty and give up Yeah, not how it works. The other team's trying to make shots.
Speaker 1: The positives outweigh the negatives. In my opinion, he's a very good basketball player. Obviously, he's not perfect. He was not made in the lab. He's seven foot two, he's big, he's not fast. He's gonna give up some buckets. But at the same time, I think a lot of it's not his fault. He's playing in a game where he's crowded to the paint, which is what we talked about last year, and he's just gonna be you know, sometimes he won't look amazing and he's still gonna get you points. Like what else do you want?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Land in your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to like really disagree with anything guys are saying. Like I said, I think he's extremely necessary for the team's floor. I think without him, like if you just removed him from the team cold, this team is a nightmare. This team is not good. Yes, at the same time, I do think he struggles enough at certain things, and like I even was saying this last year a lot that I don't think he has like the offensive killer instinct or offensive killer ability. Again, not that he's never done it, but he doesn't have Like that's just not a regular part of his game, I feel, and I think that does hurt the team at times. And I think that's why they need a guy like Ezeke Meyo to be on the team, because that's a guy that absolutely does have that killer ability and that killer instinct. He's a flawed player, but you have to have him. You do have to have him.
Speaker 1: Can I give my Like I was just gonna say, can I get my take on Hunter Dickinson. My actual take is this, I think people don't appreciate what he does because his style of play is not flashy. Yeah, I think I just don't think they just don't realize how much he actually does in the scope of a game, like how much attention he draws. He makes hook shots. Yeah, he's not gonna make every single hook shot, but it's just not flashy. That's that's my whole take.
Speaker 2: Well, and people didn't really good because Dedrick Glawson wasn't on a very good team despite the fact that he was an excellent player. Didrick Glasson, Hunter Dickinson and Perry Ellis are all very similar players, but people have much fonder memories of Perry because the team was better. Perry get to play with Frank Mason and Devonte Graham. Hunter Dickinson has not been on a team that has supported his strengths. They have not made him better. He does not have shot creators around him, which would really free up the space he needs to work, and we get extended stretches of Hunter Dickinson dominating one on one matchups whenever you do have the floor space a little better, like in that North Carolina State run. We have seen him just completely dominate basketball teams good basketball teams for extended stretches, like what he did to Oklahoma last year, what he did a TCU last year, what he did to Kentucky last year. Whenever other guys are making shots, he's the least of your problems. He does give up a lot of buckets, but he gets a lot of buckets, and that's how sports works. He's a net positive, and the grass isn't always greener if he's not your favorite style of player. No one's going to put you in jail for saying that, because they haven't won very much with him. But I think that that's in spite of Hunter Dickinson, not because of him. We'll see. Time will tell if Ryland, Griffin and aj Storrees start hitting more shots. I think people are gonna fall off of Hunter's case quickly because he's going to quietly put up his twenty and twelve. We'll see. We'll see if we get three. But now there are much bigger problems with this team than Hunter at show me Hawk. Has anyone seen the bro Ad with Nick Saban? I wonder what it would be like to vacation at Bill Tell's house.
Speaker 1: Uhi, man, I have so many ways I want to take this.
Speaker 2: I know, don't touch the pictures of kJ just leave them on the mantle on the fireplace.
Speaker 1: Frank Mason would cook breakfast. Yeah, be kind of weird, like be.
Speaker 2: Fine, like it didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Are we imagining a like Heisman House esque situation here? But it's just Bill's favorite players over the years.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's like a Love Island type point Sharon, Yeah, well, Jamari comes from the he walks out of the Master's bedroom like master bedroom, wearing like a bathrobe. And then Bill's just like happy. And then Frank Mason's cooking breakfast. You got Sharon Collins laying on the couch. Remy Martin's locked in a cage. AJ stores in the basement. He gets like one meal a day.
Speaker 2: He gets a piece of straw dry bread. Yeah, Jamari Trailor gets Bill's Platinum Express credit card to buy whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Bill self is confused that Ronny Orton isn't actually a bird despite his bird noises.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else we've got here. I need your thoughts, says at Preston Skirsik, on self putting kJ in to finish the game after having him on the bench by a great run. Love selfis Hall of Famer, but I don't get it. I don't think it was fair to kJ either. That's another good point. kJ is not being set up by his coach well at all. That's part of the reason fans are infuriated. kJ is not choosing himself to go play basketball. He's being told to stay out there. Everybody's Matt. Kj's out there so much, but he's not choosing to not bench.
Speaker 3: Himself, right and no, Like no reasonable athlete would like, especially this level, is gonna be Like, yes, I think I actually should come off the or in favor of something else.
Speaker 2: I had someone on Twitter. Someone on Twitter said kJ should realize that the team's better with him not there, and he should tell Bill self that, Like, no, that's not how sports work. kJ is not a coach. It's Bill Self's job to figure out the right combination and to put his guys in a position to succeed, and he's not doing that with kJ Adams. Sometimes playing them all the time isn't the answer.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you guys this, what do you think the best lineup for kJ Adams is on this team?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, probably him at the five.
Speaker 1: Like, honestly, think about it.
Speaker 3: It's playing him at the five in a shooter heavy lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is crazy to think about. But I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Because kJ was good, but also the team that Like, there's a reason why that Jalen Wilson team was as good as they were, and that's because Jalen Wilson and Kevin mccullor to a much lesser extent, but also Kevin mccullor were great rebounders and also if you want to know who else was on that roster, he was the best shooter that Bill self has ever had. That guy sure drew a lot of attention from defenses and let Wilson and Adams do their thing inside.
Speaker 3: Yep, correct, Grady Dick was a brilliant piece on that team too.
Speaker 2: And kJ actually was better last year, quite a bit better last year than the year before. He was a thirteen and five player last year at the four, like he was a solid player while shooting sixty percent from the floor. But we knew it was fickle. We knew that he was the type of player that his bad days were really bad for the team. And he's had more bad days than good days this year. Geez. If you take out the Furman and the Duke game, which the Duke game he wasn't even that statistically impressive. You take out the Furman and the Duke game, and kJ Adams is having like a terrible season to this point, Like he's everything like seven to three if you take out Furman, which is really bad for.
Speaker 1: When you expect a guy like that. Yeah, it's it's especially a thirty plus minutes game.
Speaker 2: It's a showy Hawk, says feels like they got an exit January at six and three and Big twelve player better because if they're worse than that, they're cooked. Lannon and I talked about that on the last show. I actually think they got be seven and two through January to have any chance of winning the league, and six and three to have any chance of not having a disastrous second half. And I think right now six and three feels like the man.
Speaker 1: And they still have to play at Iowa State right that's coming up in that's not that far away.
Speaker 3: Absolutely annihilate six and three if you could lock that in right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just look. Let's just look at the schedule right now. At UCF, win or lose.
Speaker 3: No spoilers, Okay, cam at.
Speaker 1: Uk A hesitantly say when Arizona State at home?
Speaker 2: Do they win either at SINCI or at Iowa State.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think they do. Honestly, I'm not trying to And if anyone comes and says, you guys want them to lose, I don't want them to lose. I just haven't seen them win on the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, at Kansas or Kansas State.
Speaker 3: At home, they gotta win that win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at TCU or win win Houston at home.
Speaker 1: I think they win that.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 2: Then U s F at home. So we're gonna give them, let's says, give them wins at home, and that would give them one, two, three, four wins, so that other four and one in conference play and the road games at UCF, at Cincinnati, at Iowa State at TCU. Can they win two of those four? Yeah, they can. Six and three.
Speaker 1: I think six and three might be the right pick. Actually, it probably very happy.
Speaker 2: We'll see if they're worse than six and three, we got problems. If they get to seven and two. Were thrilled. They gotta win at Iowa State or at Cincinnati to make up in essence for the West Virginia game.
Speaker 1: Right, good luck, Yeah, good luck.
Speaker 2: And they get it. The most likely thing may be just be Cincinnati is not as good as we thought. There's a couple more at Preston Skirts. Six says, are you still sad? Because I am still sad. Yeah. That one's stunk like I was dry around for a while after that game and just thinking like, man, maybe it was because Brian Haney was talking about Wendy's That's what made it stink more.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: No. I had a pretty good night after that, so I was fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like I'm always sad.
Speaker 2: Landon answer only at Drew Watton. Nothing else matters except March. Will this team be one of the few who overperform come March?
Speaker 3: No, No, they will not.
Speaker 2: At Would you rather finish the season with kJ at the four or Carlton Bragg? Oh my gosh, guys, we've gone too far now. kJ.
Speaker 1: Is not that I have a picture with Carlton.
Speaker 3: I've seen Carleton Bragg hit a lot more mid range jumpers th kJ.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, oh, stop it. Yeah, can you have a picture with Carlton Bragg?
Speaker 1: That's I did get one. It's really funny because it was before I had a beard, so I looked like a Make a Wish child next to a crackhead because he was wearing like a beanie hat and he had a massive gap in his teeth at the time, and I think he still was. He was a nice dude, but it looks so funny.
Speaker 2: At n c M D forty four, several years ago, college basketball honks would say that Duke was the program where big men go to die? Is KU the program where Dynamic scored a perimeter players go to die. Yeah, yeah, it's like that. At this point was other screen Dick named the last one that was really good, that's dramatic was Wilson, a perimeter player at his absolute best, though he was a drive to the cup guy.
Speaker 3: He's still a perimeter oriented player, though a little bit of face up player. Yeah, and that was just two seasons ago.
Speaker 2: Like that's a lot has happened since then. At Mayo, Zeke Berner says, if kJ Adams gets hurt and practice tomorrow, does the team get better? No, because kJ needs to play. He doesn't need to play this much, but they need kJ Adams Otherwise, if that happens, you're gonna run into last year where you don't have enough bodies and you're throwing, You're you're a you're a six man away from having six minutes. Yeah, can't, you can't. It gets the grass is not always greener. We kind of already answered his Bill self wash he hasn't been the same coach since having the heart attack, And I do think that's true. I think there might be something there. Bill self might not be able to be the same coach that he was at his best because of his heart, and it's up to him to decide if it's worth it at that point or what's going on here? Let's see here at t P TACIC twenty three, can we get some of our other forwards some minutes instead of kJ Adams all the time, Let's let's not have kJ Harrison Hunter on the floor all the time. Then you can only have two shooting threats, which packs the paint. It leaves Hunter doubled. Which other forwards do you want to get minutes? Are we counting Store as a forward because like, oh hear us, oh here Flory, you're not wanting Clements to play more? Who else do you want to play more?
Speaker 3: I mean, the Flory Hunter combination looked pretty good. I'd be willing to try it again.
Speaker 2: I think that only works because Badonga is an athlete. But neither of those guys can shoot right.
Speaker 3: But then theoretically, if you were to run like Mayo, Griffin and another guard, I guess Harris is the is the guy who is.
Speaker 2: I want to see a lineup. I want to see a lineup that they'll never try. I want to see Mayo as the point guard with Griffin, Store and koit around him and Hunter in the middle. I want to see what it looks like if you take Harris out and you make Zeke Mayo a guy who that time they would have to guard the point guard whenever he pulls up and shoots.
Speaker 1: That is true, that would be intriguing.
Speaker 2: Game at show me. Hawk might be a little delusional, But is it fair to compare this start to the one the twenty eighteen team happened. They lost to a bad Washington team in case, and then they lost to Arizona State and Texas Tech at home right around New Year's That team wound up making the Final four. But here's the difference. That team had players that we knew how they fit together. It was just a matter of would they perform They did this question. This roster has much more questions, many more questions about the foundation of the players, skill positions, and how will they fit together. That team had Maliite Newman, DeVante Graham, La Gerald Vic and spe mc kailak for upperclassmen.
Speaker 3: We knew that they did.
Speaker 2: We didn't question any of their positions.
Speaker 3: And a dunk machine of a center.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. I mean this team has the pieces. I just don't know. I kind of am borderline out on this team, figuring it out if nothing changes rotation wise.
Speaker 2: At DS consciousness, Kay, you just another program. Now that everybody pays their guys, early returns not great. I will still say that they'll they will have many more good years than not good ones, but the early returns aren't great. Now that the playing field has been leveled, you've seen teams like Baylor and Alabama pull a lot closer than you ever thought they would.
Speaker 3: Are we seeing the Alabama of Kansas basketball?
Speaker 2: I'm not ready to say that. Also, by the way, Alabama had one bad quote bad year for their standards, they were still a top fifteen team and almost made the playoff.
Speaker 3: Well, that would make I just don't one more than Alabama if this year goes bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I just don't. I don't know. I don't think Bill self is meant for the Portal era. That's he and everyone's gonna be like, oh, he won a toytle in the first year. Yeah, he got lucky. I mean he's he builds his team off trust and loyalty, and you can't get that with transfers, especially when they don't play much. I don't know. I'm just I'm pessimistic on it. I hope that it turns around, and I still have faith at a will because he's an awesome coach. But it's gonna be It's gonna be quite a ride.
Speaker 2: Here's us running away from the twenty twenty five Jayhawks before it even gets started. If you ever have ascarb O jac, he use the Twitter hashtag.
Speaker 1: O J. Simpson Ford Bronco chasing away.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, guys. If there's anything that'll make you feel better, it is while it is three degrees and a blizzard outside watching this number seven Kansas at the University of Central Florida on Sunday, January the fifth, during the Carson wins v Bravonco's game at three o'clock PM on ESPN plus Gross Nice.
Speaker 3: The Central Florida Knights are ten and two. Overall, there are one to zero and Big twelve play. They have wins for Texas Tech and Texas A and M, but lost by sixteen to Wisconsin and in three overtimes to LSU.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like most I'm trying to blank, guys, I'm still thinking about West Virginia. Like most rosters, UCFS was flipped via the transfer portal. But they have a trio of guys. At all average sixteen points per game. Point Guard Darius Johnson is team's best three point here I have forty seven percent slashing wing Jordan Ivy Curry is the team's best free throw shooter at eighty seven percent. Hybrid four men, Keyshawn Hall is a team's top overall scorer at sixteen points and seven rebounds. All three men average sixteen points and have been excellent players thus far.
Speaker 2: I thought about bringing Nick back from retirement just to have him read this. Next name of UCF starting center his Senegal freshman, Mustafa Tim. I think that's probably it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Thium, that's what I would have said. I would have said, can I buy a vowel?
Speaker 2: Nick would say Mustard fought. He is seven two hundred and thirty five pounds. He's a huge man and averages eight and five. But as you might expect, avoiding fouling has been a struggle for him. He fouled out in just seventeen minutes in Lubbock in the game the other day. It is a good thing that Kansas's center is known for drawing a lot of contact and being hell of physical right guys.
Speaker 1: Whoa mustache, no way symbol.
Speaker 2: But j.
Speaker 3: This is good. This is good. This is this is good radio. This is listenable listenable stuff. Jalen Sellers still a night Remember him in his season best four threes against Kansas last year. Uh he missed the first games that year injured. But hey has rejoined the rotation just in time.
Speaker 1: Great, congratulations on your career game. UCF is one of the best teams in the country. Had drawn contact and get into the free throw line. They average nineteen makes twenty five attempts per game and they make seventy eight. Yep, they make seventy eight percent of their free throws, which is top thirty nationally. They're good at taking the ball away, not a great combo for Kansas, and they've been solid rebounding the ball and shooting threes at thirty five percent. Also not a great.
Speaker 3: Rebound for kJ. Adams in thirty nine minutes.
Speaker 2: Eleven rebounds? Did you stay up four and eleven?
Speaker 3: No? I said four and one.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I thought you said eleven. I was like, wow, that's a that's a month for the rebounds for kJ.
Speaker 1: That where UCF is not great has been two point shots, settling for long range jumpers. They fall quite a bit. They're also somewhat untested. They've only had one game against ranked team on the schedule so far.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at kJ Adams his rebounding numbers. Okay, six, nine, twelve, seventeen. It took kJ Adams until November thirtieth to reach his jersey numbers worth of rebounds. That's fine, right, that's totally fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's normal.
Speaker 2: Just that's totally a normal thing. Hunter Dickinson. I get it, he's number one, but he had it in the first two minutes of his season. Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Another thing that's super normal. Yeah, I was gonna say. Another thing that's super.
Speaker 2: Normal is going for that. Yeah. They've only played played one time and how did that get? And I don't remember. I don't remember that game. I remember most games. Let me just look up the no ok Kansas UCF. Oh my, the computer just burst into flames. I don't I don't know. I guess we have to no more podcast.
Speaker 3: The first Kansas basketball game I ever watched in my new apartment in Casey, k the first when I when I first moved out of my parents' apartment at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 1: Whole Mormon party.
Speaker 2: Oh good, what if I want to start with too? They blushed you with that.
Speaker 3: First game of twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: For me, let's look at the let's look at the box score from that game, just for the hell of it. So at Kansas eight point favorite. Kansas goes into Orlando and takes a sixteen point first half lead. kJ Adams actually was Cave's leading rebounder of that game with seven rebounds. Also at Kansas, Kevin mccullar had five turnovers. Hunter Dickinson only made five baskets, Dwan Harris was two for eight. Elmargo Jackson remember him, he didn't play, and Nicholas Timberlake did not make a three. I know, that's amazing. Yeah, that that game. Kansas shot fifty one percent that game. UCF shot forty two percent. That game Kansas lost.
Speaker 1: I just remember them being up by so much and I was like, yes, a road game, easy, They're blowing them out of the water. And then it was like, oh, it's five points, that's not great. And then they were down by five, and then they cut it to one, and then they were down by boar, and I was like, they just lost to UCF, did they not?
Speaker 2: Thirty five to nineteen with twenty four minutes left was that score? And from that moment on it was forty six to twenty five UCF.
Speaker 1: And the result will be this problematic.
Speaker 2: All right, Landon, do they lose?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they lose. Give me the Knights. Wow, give me the Nights seventy sixty six.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just like part part of me wants to say that, but I'm too big of a Kansas fan and I have too much optimism left. Despite what I've said today, I think Kansas wins seventy eight to seventy one.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. I'm gonna I'm gonna. I'm gonna even play the music in the background so it's nice and right for the next show. Here we go. I'm a Homer, but this isn't a Homer pick. This is because they've got to get one UCF. According to Ken Palm, they're not as good as they were allowed last year. I'm gonna say Kansas goes into UCF and not only wins, but boat races the Knights of Central Florida. Kansas seventy eight u sef fifty novel you watch just the hunch.
Speaker 1: I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on that? Pick landon?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't think. I think there's a there's a world in which that does happen. I think there's a world in which Kansas does do that. I think that world might be like twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I say, twenty fourteen, fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe seventeen eighteen.
Speaker 2: I don't think has an answer for Dickinson, and I don't think that. I think. I think I think you finally get a okay, enough of this game from Kansas. They're not gonna start going too just a gut.
Speaker 1: I hope you're right.
Speaker 3: I hope you're right too.
Speaker 1: I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: It'll be a more fun show if I'm right. Other games in the Big twelve, Oklahoma State at West Virginia, I guess we're going with the Mountaineers to start to and oh but oh, wouldn't that surprise you if they fell right on their caboose.
Speaker 3: We are gonna take West Virginia here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oklahoma State's really bad.
Speaker 2: Interesting matchup here. Number twenty five Baylor at number three Iowa State Baylor's had a lot of success there. I but they've been horrible against teams with the pulse this year. Until further notice, I think you have to take Iowa State at home.
Speaker 3: Cyclones by bucket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll take Cyclones as well.
Speaker 2: B YU at number fourteen, Houston. I am all in on Houston winning these games easily until further notice. Give me the Cougars, the Red Cougars.
Speaker 3: I guess yes, Red Cougars.
Speaker 1: Yep. Cougar's all the way.
Speaker 2: Arizona at number sixteen Cincinnati. Arizona has been waiting a long time to get one. I say they finally take down a team of a pulse. Give me the Wildcats on the road.
Speaker 3: Yes, long running traditional matchup of Big twelve teams. I will umm give me Cincinnati to bounce back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm getting I'm taking Cincinnati here.
Speaker 2: Kansas State at TCU and as somebody has to win, are we going with Kansas State to get the two?
Speaker 3: And oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, yeah, really give me the Cats. I think they have a good started Big twelve play guys.
Speaker 2: You guys are absolutely out of your minds to take them on the road here. I will take TCU by a lot of points. I need to look into a parlay of Kansas and tc both winning by double digits. Colorado at Arizona State. I don't know anything about these teams, Like, uh, Colorado on the road.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, probably true. I think my preseason prediction is going to come up quite short.
Speaker 1: You know what'screwed. I'm gonna take Arizona State at home.
Speaker 2: And Texas Tech at Utah. I'm not gonna pick Utah at any games this year. I'm committing to that now, Red Raiders on the road.
Speaker 3: I'll take Utah right here, and they're gonna prove me wrong, probably, but I'll take the Utes.
Speaker 1: I will nod do that. Texas Tech by a good bit probably by eight other games.
Speaker 2: We're gonna pick a lot of games this year. Because the numbers are sol Waukey so Landon, you'll have a lot of chances and pick them. Number eighteen Michigan State at Ohio State. I am all in on the Spartans. Give me tome Izos team same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're good.
Speaker 2: Number six, Florida at number ten Kentucky. There are three undefeated teams in the country left. They're all in the SEC one falls here. Give me the Wildcats at home at ten.
Speaker 1: In the morning. Eh. Yeah, I'll take Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Number twenty three, Arkansas at number one Tennessee. Do the Voles stay at.
Speaker 3: The top, Yes they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they do too, yep.
Speaker 2: Big ten clash. Number four fifteen UCLA at Nebrasketball. I will take the fighting Hoiberg's same.
Speaker 1: I will take UCLA.
Speaker 2: Number four Duke at SMU with George W. Bush. They always let him like flip the coin when SMU plays a football game. I wonder if they let him like do the the tip, like if they'll let him do the jump ball to start the game here. I will take boy. I don't like picking first all these games. This kind of feels like an upset pick though.
Speaker 1: I'll give me Duke, give me Duke, and I hope someone throws a shoe at George Bush just for fun, for a tribute.
Speaker 2: I will take SMU at home. This feels like kind of their UCF Kansas moment last year. They're at a new conference. It's the first big marquee moment for them. The place will be nuts A. Duke's young team. I'll take the Mustangs at home Number twelve, Oklahoma at number five, Alabama give me the Crimson tied by twenty yep, Sam Yep, Crimson tad at number twenty two, Illinois at Washington and a Big ten Classic. Uh, like we know anything about these teams. I'll take the Huskies.
Speaker 3: I was gonna take Washington too.
Speaker 1: I'm taking Illinois, all right.
Speaker 2: So our next show will probably record during the blizzard after the Chiefs lose to the Broncos. And I don't care that they don't need this game. I hate the Broncos. And if Kansas starts oh and two, I'm legitimately gonna throw the computer into the snow.
Speaker 1: I don't think they do, so we'll be we'll be okay, Well, well we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: That will happen, all right, Landon, Uh, what is Kansas's final Big twelve record, now that you've had a little bit of time to think about.
Speaker 3: It, twelve and eight.
Speaker 2: If you think that they start oh and two, then that means you have them going twelve and six. In the last eighteen ten and ten they lose ten Big Twelve games.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 2: It might be time for Bill to go work at Wendy like he is on all the ads that are around Allen field House.
Speaker 3: I'm only even happy too, like a there's a real chance that that team does that. This team does that.
Speaker 1: I think it is possible. I don't think that happens. I think they go thirteen and seven, maybe fourteen and six.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're gonna need this one if they want either of those things to be the case. This is inside the Fan on Rock Chalk Blog.
Speaker 3: I'm Ryan Landers, I'm Landing.
Speaker 1: Fields, I'm Gambler poop oh boy.
Speaker 2: It feels like that. This feels like a shut down Rock Chalk Blog sort of weekend. If it doesn't go well, please go well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back to the mines.
Speaker 3: That'll be fascinating if it happens back to the mines.