Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, and for this week of December thirtieth, we're continuing with Loss Season two, Episode two, a Drift, And as predicted, this does have to do with the aftermath of the Wrath explosion, but also just rewinds the whole hatch episode in a way that was really confusing, because you know, they had the previous lease and then all of a sudden, they're in the hatch doing this thing. And my husband was like this wasn't on last week, and I said, no, I think we're just seeing it now. Again. From Locke and Kate's point of view, was it ended at the same point as last episode ended, with no forward progress made, but in that in that storyline, in that storyline, But meanwhile, the other storylines were all going forward. So there's a weird time bubble around the hatch apparently.
Speaker 2: Is this where this starts, being like, we're flashing back, we're flashing forward, we're repeating.
Speaker 1: I don't think this is the start of the flash forwards. But it was a just an odd structure, I think, and I wish they had. I don't know. It just made for a disjointed feeling episode, right, But I guess maybe we were sort of flashing back on what happened to the raft, So I guess maybe these things were actually going on at the same time, but.
Speaker 2: They just had so much story they had to go just get in there again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by the way, did you hear that Michael had his son taken away to him twice now magging my son my Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, so much.
Speaker 1: Screaming out there on the water. Yes, really, these guys are going to not be able to speak for a week, and that will be a good thing.
Speaker 2: Right, So we saw this whole thing where Walt's mother, Susan wanted to She wanted Michael to give up his rights so that her partner could adopt Walt. Yes, but like, why couldn't she just have custody of Walt and take him where she wanted to go and Michael could still be his father, like.
Speaker 1: One would think, I like, let the kids stay with him for a week every year or something, especially since at the earliest opportunity Brian ditched the kid. So apparently it wasn't Brian saying I love this boy. He is my son, right, please let me be his father?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: He was like he was going along with Susan just like Michael was. Yeah, and she is a cold fish, isn't she.
Speaker 2: She did figure out how to talk.
Speaker 1: Michael into which she did.
Speaker 2: She said, you're going to win. But here's why you're gonna do what.
Speaker 1: I have this great career opportunity. Please sign over your son. Why does she get to do what she wants to do? I don't know. Yeah, I mean, it also didn't really seem like Michael was that invested, but it wasn't really his fault because she kept taking him ay right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did enjoy his lawyer being like, look, I'm not very good at my job, and that's why you can avoid afford me.
Speaker 1: Hey, Sol Rubinet, tip of the hat Man, nice to see it. Yeah, and boy, her attorney was just so horrible it made me hate. Susan Moore. Oh yeah, she came in from an entirely different show. She oh man, Yeah that was rough, and I mean not wrong, but still rough. And also I don't think his fault, but he doesn't know his son because she took him away.
Speaker 2: She took him away. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So and the kid, you realize at the end.
Speaker 2: Is still very young. Yeah, he's little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like he's in high school and you've never met any time with him.
Speaker 2: He's a baby. It's been it's been like two years at the most. Yeah, y she first left.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like a large portion of which he had been in a car accident. He was trying to get into you know, get in contact with his son, and then he was hit by a car. So lady lawyer, lady, we protest. This was just a more polite and discreet method of pulling up in a boat and saying, we're going to have to take the boy right sailing off. It's just better clothes, but you know, the same basic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no wonder Michael araumatized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah guy, Yeah, but he's still again. I mean, he's didn't see that kid, presumably from when he was like two to when he was however old Walt is supposed to be now. Yeah, like ten doesn't really know him or have much of a rapport with him, and you know, was not wanting to really have him when he got dumped on him. So it's like, we're taking the kid away and then oh wait no, now you can have him back with the Yeah, these people I are not so nice Susan and Bryant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's just basic basically doing a lot of screaming for his son. Yeah, that kid pretty much disrespects me and I don't really know very much. Sawyer says, I should spank, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bring back.
Speaker 1: Bobbing around in the water screaming wall Yeah, and the whole time I'm like, where's Gin?
Speaker 2: But we do find that out at the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: He apparently made landfall a little more quickly than his compatriots right, and was discovered by well they are others, yes, whether they're the other others, we do not yet know.
Speaker 2: Yes. But he he.
Speaker 1: He unable to speak English, is kind of can't really explain himself.
Speaker 2: But he did come up with a new word others that he had not he had not known.
Speaker 1: Before with that on the list that that son made for him.
Speaker 2: Maid, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Whatever. It is Korean for weird people on the island.
Speaker 2: Scary scary people with improvised, awful looking weapons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, who could they be? We want? Yeah, but better than the shark, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure you had this problem too. But I couldn't see that there.
Speaker 1: I could not.
Speaker 2: I couldn't see the shark when Michael shot it. Yeah, I felt like, how are you shooting the shark without shooting sawyer, Like.
Speaker 1: You can get together and shoot the shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, according to lost Pedia, the shark had a logo on it, but I couldn't see that either.
Speaker 2: I couldn't either. But I did remember how last week when we were talking about the hatch and you know, Desmond's whole like living space down there, and I said, well, how did he get like brand name stuff like laundry detergent. And then in this one you see his pantry where yeah it's all brand name, but it's one brand. Yeah it's Dharma everything, which which I know is part of the whole lost.
Speaker 1: I think we all, we all can can uh, we all are Kate in that situation.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: You're in this scary situation. You got to escape, you gotta go. But candy bar, Oh my gosh, I must eat one immediately and also stuff them in my pocket.
Speaker 2: And my my tiny pockets of my tiny jeans, and then I'm gonna go crawl through an air vent. I don't think she's gonna come out with those candy bars. I'm sorry. Yeah, it's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is yeah, but but still it's like you want to go hurry, hurry, hurry. It's dangerous, dangerous. But I completely understand.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I would have been there, like how many how many more can I? I would have stuffed them down my shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was saying. Oh my, that was a very human moment right there. Yes, amidst all this weirdness.
Speaker 2: Right all right? Not leaving here without that caper.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm sure, she's taking them to share with everybody back at the right, right, that's.
Speaker 2: Why she needed to bring a bunch with her.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be a trail of trail of candy bar wrappers between camp. Shoot, they must have fallen out of my pocket, yes, yeah, but uh, we get more of what happened down there with lock very coolly engaging Desmond and conversation right and uh, you know, didn't have the didn't have the password right when snowman say to the other snowman. So he was exposed as not being him. But he got to chat the guy up, and he got to input something into the computer. What do you suppose must be put into that computer every certain number of hours? The anything familiar?
Speaker 2: Is it every one hundred and eight hours or one hundred and eight minutes?
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's one hundred and eight something, yeah, one hundred and eight out. No, it's more than once a day, so it must be one hundred and eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why he needs those hypodermic needles because he can't sleep more than one hundred and seven minutes at a time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you would need something for that. But I think the hypodermic was for the quarantine situation because he believes everybody outside of the hatchet I see. So he seems like he's been misinformed in many important ways. Is he going to be ticked off when he finds out he's been sitting it? Ale? Everything outside is just fine, except for the whispers and the visions and the others and the child stealers and all that other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just us, except for.
Speaker 1: Some very testy castaways. But besides that, maybe you want to stay in your hole, buddy, I don't know, it's peaceful there, yep. I'd send you down some female companionship maybe, oh gosh, or male, who knows. But it's quite a little, quite a little place he's got there, Yeah, he's got. I wonder what the rat would be on something. Well, the island is weird, so yeah, yeah, I'd like an elevator to get down there.
Speaker 2: I think, Well, if you're never going to leave, it doesn't matter it.
Speaker 1: Guess the artificial sunlight and the very odd to see in this jungle space, such a such a odd little uh yeah, module.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: As I predicted, Michael did blame Sawyer for setting off the flair. Yes, that caused the boat to find them and then take his son. They but Sawyer has it all figured out that this was the boy the the others were intending. They said they were going to take the boy, you know they were. Everybody thought it was Aaron, but it was in fact Wall Sawyer has read lost Pedia. Yes, knows the stitch. Yes, but Michael feels that no, certainly not. It was because of the flair. Nobody would have had somebody looking for them, would never have found them without that, right, So, I don't know. It's a confusing time, but they'll soon have some distraction, something to think about, for sure. I was amused again as we were last week when Desmond kept pointing the gun at Lock and saying to Jack, do you want him to die? Maybe that's the wrong.
Speaker 2: Question to ask, right consider.
Speaker 1: Not Yeah, maybe if they if he was threatening Kate, that would be great. But Locke had cleverly made the switch. So but uh, at one point they hear some noise and and uh, Desmond says, who's that? And Locke very calmly says that would be Jack. Of course, of course he's gonna come. We knew that.
Speaker 2: Everybody knew that. Yes, you'd think that with whatever this you know, mystery illness that Desmond is worried about, to find out that there's a doctor, yeah, he should be like, oh good, because I'm running low on my injectable meds.
Speaker 1: They have enough for another decade?
Speaker 2: Ors right then, what am I gonna But of.
Speaker 1: Course the doctor is coming from the place where the sickness supposedly is, right, So yeah, Desmond's got somebody's got to sit him down and explain, yeah, that things are not as the as he has been told.
Speaker 2: There are many weird things on this island, but everyone no one's got so much as his sniffles out there.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope, they have not. So this was sort of a setting things, setting things up. I was frustrated that we didn't go any further forward with that hatch plot line that we had before, but it still ended with you and uh, Desmond not really responding, right. I want to see where that goes. I can't quite remember how they try to reconcile. How it is that they're all the same very strange.
Speaker 2: Place, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So hopefully next next next week we move forward in all plots, please and no more screaming. Enough of the screaming.
Speaker 2: You don't think that when the others come over that little ridge with all their weapons, that Wald or that Michael and Sawyer and Jan aren't going to be screaming.
Speaker 1: Michael. Michael could scream to them give me my son, you took my.
Speaker 2: Son, right, But instead of just screaming, woad.
Speaker 1: Enough to make Sawyer like risk his life to go to a different raft so close by, Oh man, give it up. Just makes him feel good to scream it.
Speaker 2: And then and then Sawyer of course responds by just screaming Gin's.
Speaker 1: Right before he then did he dig a bullet out of his own shoulder? Is that what happened there? Yes? Yes, do we have like a contest for most gruesome? I still think lighting Charlie's eye on fire is more grooesome than digging a bullet out of your own shoulder. Still, Jack needs to set up needs to call in like a nice a nice clinic. We need a nice like city MD to open up on the island where you can get yourself some decent healthcare and not you know, sterilize things in weird ways and do self surgery. Agree, But he's a tough guy, as Sawyer. This is how tough he is, well, bullet ain't gonna stop.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the shark will stay away. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: As we float around on these just like four sticks of bamboo, no problem in the dark.
Speaker 1: But yay, they reached the beach again.
Speaker 2: Are they going to be happy they got there?
Speaker 1: Well, there are there are others, and then there are others. So we need to know which others these others are. It could be friendly others and hostile others, just all sorts of other others. And hopefully next week we'll find out more about that. Let's get out of the water. Let's let's get out of the hatch. Let's move things along, shall we. Okay, like we had a two episode opening episode.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah, yeah, we can.
Speaker 1: Well, we're all caught up. We're all caught up now forward, So next week, see if this sounds like a forward kind of episode. Next Tuesday, we will continue with season two, episode three of Loss, which is called Orientation, which is a lock flashback episode. Okay, and we will see you back here tomorrow for a special New Year's Day episode, and then Thursday for our shrinking chat. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years
Speaker 1: In the Beat of the Man in the Bad compat