Speaker 1: You're listening to Maximum Medicine Radio with host Doc Martin. How do you step into your maximum potential? How do you connect your spiritual drive with your physical path? Get ready to meet the maximum you the world needs on Maximum Medicine Radio with Doc Martin.
Speaker 2: Now, Hi, everybody, Maximum Medicine Here. I'm here with doctor Samshay. Now. I don't know exactly how I was introduced to doctor Sam, but what I've found in the reading I've done, and he's going to tell you all about it, is here is a healer who has gone from chiropractic to acupuncture, to functional medicine, to DNA, the whole gamut. So I want him to tell us what he's seeing nowadays in his clients and some help for us, because, let's face the world is crazy and we need help to stay centered, we need help to stay chill. But doctor Sam, I'm so glad you're here. Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 3: Thank you. It's really it's really honored to be here. I really appreciate all public educators, podcasts, hosts, summit leaders, et cetera. Like This type of public education was just simply not available twenty thirty forty years ago, and the entire reason I got into this field was because I was deeply unwell as a child, starting at age six. And the yeah, tell.
Speaker 2: Us, because I saw that in your website you've managed to heal a lot of ailments. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Sure, So my story, like the details of my story, differ, but the story ARC is very familiar to most people. It's a story of the wounded healer. Kirn. You know, it's so cliche. It's a constellation. Not that I'm tying in astrology to this, it's just it's around so long that it's literally across thousands of years, across multiple cultures. The the trope of a wounded healer. A wounded healer in short, is the person themselves or a dear friend or family member was incredibly sick. But usually it's the person themselves. And then through their entire long circuitous healing journey ARC, they pick up a lot of tools and understandings and frameworks that they used to help with themselves, and then they just want to reduce suffering for those around them. They don't want others to suffer as they did, so it becomes their their passion and their profession to share all the frameworks and tools, because it's just they know how how awful it is to suffer with with with physical physical uh and in physiological and psychological concerns, and they just they just want the suffering to stop. So and so that that's the that's the arc. That the details in short, because there's a lot of details, but I'll just keep it really brief. It's started at when I was six years old and my parents had a nuclear divorce in which me and my siblings were caught in the blast radius. And uh so, it was it was very deeply unhealthy and damaging. And on top of that, this was the eighties, so there was like high gluten, high carb, low fat diets and like lots of chemicals, fast food, box cereals, candy, spaghettios, I mean, and just Heine's ketchup. Like it's just all I mean, it's amazing that even survived. Just it was just pretty much just terrible food, which led to really terrible digestive problems, embarrassing got problems, and a failure to thrive. On top of that, I had crippling insomnia for over twenty years because of the gas lighting and emotional abuse at home and then the physical and physical abuse at school, with a lot of violence at school, and this is the eighties where you were just told to rub some dirt in it. And then I also contracted lyme disease at summer cramp, but I didn't know that until decades later. And I was just sickly and unwell and tired and a target.
Speaker 2: And that's a whole bunch of bad things all landing on you, isn't it as a child?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then and then developed a sugar addiction, in a video game addiction to try to cope. And I decided as a teenager that I had to take charge of my own health because the options that were presented to me were both and for fun. Both my parents are psychiatrists, and so their answer was to drug me into submission. And I decided that the tools for what I had going for me, the tools of western medicine, were not the right choice.
Speaker 2: So I'm pretty wise as a teenager to be able to sess that out.
Speaker 3: It was pretty desperate, and I fortunately found someone who had a more natural frame of mind that was able to mentor me. I also ran into doctor by Sheer Luck, Doctor Jensen's Guide to Better bowel Care, which was a He's considered the kind of godfather of naturopathy in the West, and that book radically changed my thinking. I was supposed to be the third generation medical doctor in my family, but I put took a pivot into natural medicine, and then I just went to college, did a glorified pre med with extra medical anthropology, philosophy, and organic chemistry, and then did a holistic health practitioner degree on the evenings and weekends and got into yoga and meditation. And I just had a very different college because I knew exactly what I was doing and I was going full throttle right into it.
Speaker 2: And I'm just sitting here. Let me take a minute to reflect. If you haven't done this for yourself, that's amazing self knowledge, self reflection, and the ability to take control. We're talking teenage to college, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: On a spiritual level, I would say you must have had some serious spirit helpers.
Speaker 3: I can't vouch for that. I've had. I've had people who are of that persuasion say confirm that. And I have people who are just diehard atheists or agnostics saying like, yeah, you made the best of a really terrible situation, and you just wanted to end suffering for yourself and others, and this was the most logical direct pathway forward, and and whatever, whichever, whatever is the ultimate reality. I don't know. I just know that I want to reduce suffering and help other people.
Speaker 2: And my are you a Buddhist?
Speaker 3: People think I am. I'm a pragmatist. People ask me, that's.
Speaker 2: A kind of a very cliche Buddhist approach, You know.
Speaker 3: Sure, I wouldn't. I consider Buddhism more of a I mean, I've I've met the Dalai Lama, And he said explicitly, explicitly on stage, he said that the Buddhist religion and Buddhist culture is for Buddhists. Buddhist philosophy is for everybody. So he was making a distinction between the religious and the cultural practices and the philosophy. I'm totally cool with the philosophy. I have no interest in the religion or the culture. And I.
Speaker 2: Don't see you as a dogmatic love joining kind of guy.
Speaker 3: No, I did that. I was ten years in a Hindu cult for ten years at one point, starting in college, and I got out of that in twenty ten that's going to be the subject of a comedy show at some point. Oh spoiler. I'm also a stand up comic as part of my advocacy, and don't let the academic vinear fool you. I do. I have a full one hour show called Neurospicy Love Life and Comedy on the Spectrum, which is available for free on YouTube, and it's about what it was like to grow up with Asperger syndrome and obviously still have it. And it's clean observational comedy, so there's no politics, cursing, or gratuitous body fluid jokes. So it's clean comedy. And it's the hour I wish I had forty years ago to share with family, my friends, the schools, the other gatekeepers in the community at large. And it's the way that I can kind of, you know, we're talking in kind of some spiritual terms for lack of and the karma of what happened to me by creating a way that's easily consumable and transmissible, scalable of like how to better understand people like me so I didn't that wouldn't suffer us so unnecessarily growing up. And I'm working actually on my next comedy show, which is what it was like to grow up in the eighties on I'm talking about the eighties through the metaphor of my breakfast in the eighties. So like the eighties was equal parts of nostalgia and sinister. So on the one hand, you had like parachute pants and the Rubik's Cube, but then you had parental neglect and toxic food. And I have a working theory is that one of the reasons why Stranger Things is such a massive cultural hit for the past several years is because this is where art imitates life, where all the children of the eighties are now working out their unresolved trauma of the eighties in real time. I'm collectively by watching the show about the eighties and like literal like like like the shadowy, dark forces contrasted next to the cute se nostalgia and uh so I'm I'm going through like the orange juice and it's just mostly like sugar and pesticides. The the dairy industry actually models the same business plan as the as the street drug industry, you know, because what is an ice cream truck but nothing but a mobile dealer announcing his presence to get kids hooked on that sweet sweet milk and the high gluten foods, the process, et cetera, et cetera, a coffee. You know, there was no fancy moucacino back then, but like rancid folders. So so I'm I'm used comedy as my way to educate and advocate. It's it's so I've got a show on what's like the Asperger's, I'm working on what it's growing up in the eighties, and toxic food. I'm working on one on escaping called another one on getting out of my two addictions of sugar and video games. And I got a couple others in the works as well, And these are these are like three year projects each. But you know, the the the intention again is to reduce suffering, and so you can do it directly with individual or group coaching. But then there's the larger scaling of how do you change consciousness at a larger level, And that I've concluded the best approach for me, aside from writing writing books, is the stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: So that's brave because I don't think I first of all, I'm not that funny, but I'm too serious. But I also anyway I can stand up and lecture and teach, but I don't know comedy. I would feel vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Comedy is very vulnerable. I do recommend, as if you know, if people want a spiritual practice, take a comedy class to just do your first five minutes, like, look, if you want, if you want, it's a very it's a crucible, for sure, But the first five minutes is the hardest five minutes. And the thing about stand up comedy is that it's maybe a better thinker, a better speaker, a better writer, because it teaches you how to be concise, like what is the most important things to say in a memorable way that's impactful the end. And there's two tricks to writing good stand up comedy. Never aim for funny, aim for truth. Find the funny and the truth, not the truth in the funny. So as long as you have a problem you want to solve and you're aiming at truth, you can always find the funny in the truth. And I always reckomon people write with a group. I always write in a group. I have a writer's group that I'm a part of. And and you can totally do it, and it's worth it. I think it's it's a really valuable experience for people to go through. Uh, and you'll you'll get the level of confidence encourage that you earn and you being on stage in lecturing is relatively easy. I've been lecturing for twenty five years. That's easy. Just get it up and talk, no problem.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because you go there holding a position, an inherent position of superiority, so you can have that to bolster you. They have to listen to you. You're the one who knows all the facts. You're the one who's got the you know, the brass key, the key of the brass ring or whatever. But comedy, you're putting something out there and you're not sure how it's going to be taken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the only art form that's never complete because it's the audience that determines if your art is done or not. It's it's not And you can't just repeat your same jokes. It's not like music. You can't get up there and play the same song you've been playing for forty years. You have to do new stuff. So it's it's a crucible. It's worth it. I think that people are looking for a new practice. So my so I went through college and then I went to chiropractical school, and I got very heavy into functional neurology and nutrition and graduated top of my class and ran a bunch of clubs and was a tutor and a TA and then I traveled and taught around the country to other chiropractice had to pass their national registration exams in both clinical and basic sciences, and then went abroad to open my practice, my first practice, and was there for eight years, and then got an acupunctual degree, got very heavy into functional medicine, studied with doctor Kalish in the Kalish Institute and then the Institute for Functional Medicine, and in twenty sixteen I discover genetics. So I'm in my ten year guniversary, so to speak. And what I discovered is that what I discovered is that most people, whatever concern they're having, whether it's there dealing with stubborn weight or hormone imbalance, or they've got anxiety and high stress, or they're dealing with just a chronic it's just getting chronically sick all the time, or they're they're chronically fatigued, or they're in chronic pain, the thing that people were missing is they're missing a framework. They're missing a framework to analyze how to understand what's going on with their health because a lot of people are you know, talking about shiny objects centro. This is my primary criticism of the biohacker community is that they're just throwing out lots of shiny objects, shiny expensive objects, but there's no map the objects. You know, the shiny The tools are great, asterisk if the tool is appropriate for the situation that people are in. I love all the tools that are coming out, But is the tool what you need? That's the issue.
Speaker 2: So tell me what you mean by the framework in the structure.
Speaker 3: So when you're looking at when you're looking when you're when you're wanting to work with a functional functional medicine, functional health practitioner, you got to make sure they have two specific frameworks. They have a framework for lifestyle and a framework for labs. So a framework means do they have a system to analyze exercise, digestion, posture and pain, diet, you know your nutrition, toxic exposures, your morning and evening routines, stressors and unresolved traumas, hidden exposures to infections or mold, sleep hygiene, those That's an example of a framework like, that's that's my framework. It's it's looking at these pillars of health, and I have the ten pillars of health. Other people have the triangle of health, or the six steps of this, or the invert the triangle of that, the inverted highpot news of wells. I don't care some just some framework because otherwise it's like just shooting in the dark and like like hoping you're going to find something if you ask random questions or they don't ask the questions. So having a framework about lifestyle means you're looking at someone from the outside in. Then you have a framework for labs where you looking at people from the inside out, looking at the physiology of the biochemistry, the nutrition, the toxic exposures, all from the inside out. So when you combine lifestyle and labs, a framework for looking from the outside in and a framework from looking from the inside out, you combine them together. Congratulations, that's holistic medicine. That is my definition holistic medicine. I like functional. I would call functional medicine as using leveraging the best of Western medicines lab diagnostics with the best of natural medicines, lifestyle dit nutrition interventions. So holism is when you combine lifestyle and labs together and the framework for labs. Look, i've got my framework. I've got there's five lab categories gut hormones, mitochondria, metabolism, the weird stuff, lime, mold, toxins, environmental environmental toxicity, metals, and weird viruses and infections. And then the fifth one is genetics. So we got gut hormones, mitochondria, metabolism, the weird stuff, genetics. Framework. To people of other frameworks, sure, just have a framework. And if you don't have a framework for labs, then you're just guessing or you're just running people through a thing that is just like, this is my practice. We could do this lab in this lab, which is fine if you have a practice that attracts people who on the majority really do need that specific lab and there is value to like these kind of lab in a box practices. Was like, I found that these are the three most important labs that everyone does because eighty percent of the people needed eighty percent of the time, and there is a value to that. Is it as specific as it could be? No, but it's something. It is a framework of sorts, but it's not as fully customizable as it could be. I mean, the really good practitioners have kind of like a hybrid where they've got I mean, the really really good ones like customize right from the beginning with. But the good hybrid is that they've got like, here's my three labs, and if these don't, if you plateau and it doesn't get the results we want, then I've got this this buffet of a stable of other labs will draw on to figure out what's missing, which is a totally fair approach. So and that that that's a framework of sorts. So my my encouragement to everyone listening is just like, as a general rule, when you're gonna work with someone, make sure they have a framework both lifestyle and labs. And there is value to just getting a singular lab like genetics. Genetics is unusual because your history doesn't influence what your genes are, whereas knowing what you're what you've been through affects and influences how you look at what you're, say, like your gut test looks like or your hormone panel looks like like like what like like you're you can be as sleep deprived as anything, and your genes are gonna be the actual gene readout is going to be the same. How your genes express will change obviously how you're sleeping in your lifestyle. But if you're wanting to know the raw data of like what are your genes, then the history is not necessary because that doesn't influence what we're seeing in the generic report. Now, how you live your life and your lifestyle will affect how your genes express. And the best way I think about genetics is like think of it not as a switch, but as a dial that people have genetic We call them green, yellow, red dots. And just to best understand that, yea a green dot means air quotes good gene is that people have they inherited the good. The air quotes good version of the genes from both mom and dad. That's a green dot. A yellow dot is they got one bad air quotes bad version from mom one and a good version from dad or the reverse and one that doesn't matter from what side. And then a red dot is I got to quote too bad versions. And the thing that most people think of these as switches, and that's not true. They're more like dials. So people's default setting is how they were born. So if I have a lifestyle, and if I'm living my life, I will default to the green expression or the yellow expression, or the red expression of a gene, like to say, for inflammation, or for histamine intolerance, or for vitamin D absorption, or any number of things, And my lifestyle will nudge that expression either towards the green or towards the red, depending on how I live. But if I want to move it in a specific direction and keep it there, I have to maintain a lifestyle to keep that gene expressing in that direction. Like I can have red and yellow dots, but according to my lifestyle, if it's a good lifestyle, then I can make those green and yellow. Those red and yellow dots not be green, but behave green like the When you.
Speaker 2: Say lifestyle, are you mostly focusing.
Speaker 3: On nutritional No, so nutrition is a major portion of it. But there's also exercise and sleep and uh morning in circadian rhythms and and and like morning and evening routines and digestion and yeah, quit quitting smoking and like all all all the you know, removing toxic exposures, whether they're self inflicted or or or from or externalized. That that the good news about running genetics is that now you know what what you're like. Like I mentioned before, like you asked me what am I? I'm a pragmatist. So I'm a fan of reality, big fan of reality, and I want to know my genetic reality. I want people to know their genetic reality, and their genetic reality is like, what are the boundaries of play here? So some people like me. I found out in twenty sixteen that I'm a hyper inflamer, which explained why I was so sick growing up. Now, I was so sick because I had a combination of really vulnerable genetics and really terrible lifestyle. I didn't know any better. I was a kid, and it took me to my teenage years to figure out I had actually more agency in how I live my life.
Speaker 2: And what do you mean by a hyper inflamer.
Speaker 3: So when you look at someone's genetics, when we look at genetics from a functional or more holistic lens, we're looking at We're not chasing down an individual gene necessarily, We're looking at clusters of genes and how they behave in concert. We're looking at the orchestra of genes. So there are sixteen major pro inflammatory genes in the body. There are hundreds of genes that influence inflammation directly indirectly, but I want the most important ones, and there's sixteen of them. So by hyper and flamer, I'm talking about someone who's got like eleven and above of those sixteen. So it's looking at like the entire constellation of inflammatory genes is like really inflammatory. I have fourteen out of sixteen genes as red and yellow dots, so a hyper and flamer meaning that I could be eating, you know, my terrible breakfast growing up, and another family members eating the same breakfast, but they're not as affected as I am because my genes react much more inflammatory in much more inflammatory ways than they do.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that in your in your clients? I mean the level in my practice, which is traditional Western medicine, the amount of things that I can attribute to inflammation is sky high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but most people, but some people are more sensitive to it. And how I have a faster on ramp to the inflammatory response than others. I can give you some examples. There's that. In the genetics tests that I designed, I've identified three major ways people retain stubborn weight, inflammatory water weight, hormonal toxic weight, and caloric fat weight, the inflammatory water weight by far is the most common cause of stubborn weight gain by far. Here's an example. I actually call this the muffin test, not the muffin top test, the muffin test. So the muffin test is you eat half a muffin and proceed to put on an extra one to four pounds in a single day. Just PuF just poof, just more weight. Now, unless that muffin, half a muffin, came from last year's regifted Christmas fruitcake, it didn't weigh one to four pounds. So where did all this extra weight come from? If the muffin, it's half the muffin was absolutely not a pound or certainly not four pounds.
Speaker 2: All the downstream cascade of crud that gets stimulated.
Speaker 3: The inflammatory response, and then the body retains. So why do we retain water when there's inflammation? Well, when all the inflammatory chemicals. So you got you got the muffin, You've got the gluten, the dope, conditioners, the preservatives, the colorings, the sprinkles, whatever leaged in from the plastic rapido in it like just the sugar, all of it creates inflammation, and it creates inflammation in the gut, which is like it creates just just cascades inflammation through the whole body. Well, inflammatory chemicals are damaging, they hurt cells and tissues. So what happens is the body will retain water in what's called the interstitial space, which translates from Latin Greek. I forget the space in between the cells. So it will put water in between the cells to dilute the damaging chemicals from hitting and damaging cells and tissues. So you the weight is not coming from calories. It's coming from water retention secondary to the inflammatory response from the toxicity in those calories that came bundled with the calories. The calories are the least issue. It's the inflammatory stuff that came bundled with it. Granted sugar, yes it is technically calories and is inflammatory in its own right. But the so the inflammatory water weight. People who have very pro inflammatory genes, they have this response to the Muffin test. People who don't really have an inflammatory response like that don't have that response. They don't have that they're not triggered by the Muffin tests. You see it in other ways too. You see it in CrossFit. I can walk into any CrossFit gen look around and know who's a hyper inflammer and who's not. You can just look around because the people who are hyper flamers, they may be strong, but they don't look cut. They don't have their definition because they've got this layer of inflammatory water weight over all their muscles because they're over exercising and their exercise is now net pro inflammatory, not anti inflammatory. So I see this all the time with people who are in CrossFit, the people who are hyper inflamers, so they have they have a different version of the Muffin test. If they don't exercise for a week, whether they're injured or they're traveling or the gin clothes or whatever, and then they come back a week later, they look better, they feel better, and they live stronger. Why because their body had a weak to deflame. So people who are hyper inflamma. So people who are who over exercise, I actually have to pull them away from exercise and put them on recovery. Like they can still do their high intents the intermal training twice a week with at least two days break in between.
Speaker 2: I bet they're not happy with you for that.
Speaker 3: Oh no they're not. Oh they're very angry. At me, but they can't deny the truth of what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They're convinced that that is the key to good health and longevity.
Speaker 3: Well, well, here's the thing is that they usually come back all sulky when they do have a week off, whether they want to or not, and they admit that, yeah, I look better, I feel better, and I actually was strong. I had a new pr personal record. And I'm like, so, are we gonna debate this any further? Or are you gonna cling on to this lie You've been living for how many years? What would you like to do? Just let me know? And and I so here's look, I bag on crossfitt a lot, but I also salvage it. And here's how I salvage it. Here's what they do right. They built a community. They built the community based on celebration of progress, and they have a routine and a culture that supports progress. The problem is that they overdo it and people get injured, and they don't have like a way to dial it back. And so the way, So, how do I thread the needle if they want to keep their CrossFit community and stay healthy as opposed to hurt themselves. Very straightforward, you keep going to the gym on the hour, you do a day or whatever it is, but you don't do high intensity interval stuff. You do like walking light by. You do movement, not exercise. I make that distinction, movement not exercise. Moving is good over exercising bad. So they get to stay in their community, they get to keep going to the gym, but they don't overdo it. So you work. So this is the way to thread the needle that to accomplish both. So the same thing with the inflammation with diet. I'll give you one example. My father took me years to convince him to just do one day where he wouldn't eat toasted bread and cheese, you know, a couple times a day. And he's overweight and hates exercise. And I just convinced him for one day to have as much chicken, broccoli, coconut oil and coffee as he wanted, and he didn't have to exercise, which he doesn't do anyway. And I just wanted to show him that he can lose a lot of weight without cutting calories, because he's inflamed, not fat. He's inflamed from water, not in flame from calories. Finally, he did it. I watched him. I was there, didn't do any exercise, shocker. But he ate chicken, broccoli, coconut oil, coffee, didn't have any dairy, didn't have any gluten. He had plenty of calories, he weighed. He weighed himself every day, done it for decades. Weighed himself before, weigh himself the very next morning. He lost four pounds according to him. So what he lost was not calories because he ate and he didn't exercise. What he lost was all the water weight that was retained by inflammation. His body had one precious day, one day to drop inflammation.
Speaker 2: Did he notice it?
Speaker 3: He's on who told me?
Speaker 2: But I mean he felt it in his body.
Speaker 3: He felt it. But the problem is is that when you're dealing with someone who prefers comfort over longevity, he just went back to eating what he firmly, comfortable and tasty. So I gave up after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have about eight to ten minutes left. What else do you see in your practice and what things have you noticed that are going on in the world today?
Speaker 3: Sure so from a genetics standpoint, when people are concerned about their long term health, well being, longevity, or just simply like their mood. What I've noticed that people genetically are influenced in several major ways in the genetics tests. If you're hyper and flamer, it's gonna affect your mood because if your brain's inflame, then you can't what's called inhibit your olympic centers. You can't inhibit the animalistic stress responses. Your frontal lobes are very fragile on the very vulnerable inflammation. So if you know genetically that you're a hyper inflamer, and you take on the strategies that are offered from a genetic level, then you can drop the level of inflammation global in your body and including your brain. As a hyper inflamer, I had lots of anxiety and anger and skin rashes and physical pain. I had inflammation in my joints like an eighty year old man, even though it was in my thirties. And then when I got my genetics reports back, it took only a couple months of changing my diet, my lifestyle and nutrition, et cetera. According to my genes, and all the pain in my joints. In a way, my skin cleared up. Okay, my anxiety reduced and anger reduced, and it's just like their tools offered in genetics you cannot find in the other tests. Other things that I learned is that people are worried about stress and anxiety. Well, you want to get your genetic tests want to include are you for your caffeine sensitivity, which I have. I have a big red dot in caffeine sensitivity because if you're genetically sensitive to caffeine, you're gonna get what's called, and this is true, caffeine induced anxiety and depression. Caffeine induced anxiety and depression. So people who think that they're taking coffee and shoving it full of coconut oil because it's you know, it's bulletproof, which is what I did. I was conflating anxiety for energy and genetic so I got off coffee a caffeine because it was in my genetics. I just had to take myself accountable. It's no different than a crossfitter having to come to terms with the fact that they're over and flamed and they have to change their lifestyle. I had to come to terms that I was hyper sensitive to coffee and I had to get off caffeine. I look, I don't, I don't when I when I talk about this towards the crossfitters. I'm speaking from my own experience too. I'm an over inflamer. I couldn't over exercise because I got weaker if I over exercised. So other things around mood is some people are genetically histamine intolerant. Now, histamine is an adjacent inflammatory pathway to the body. It's basically the body's flood switch. When a bee stings your arm, the bee did not inject a half quart of water into your arm to make it swell. What happened is that it's venom. Like a bee, a wasp, a spider, a centipede, a snake, it's venom certain plants. You know, your body will pull the flood switch of histamine to drown the area in water to dilute the venom. It's no different philosophically than your body having an inflammatory response from the muffin to dilute the toxic chemicals inflammatory chemicals. But this is venom, so it's like rapidly flood the area locally. So if you are very sensitive to histamine and you eat high histamine foods like and I say this a great personal risk avocados, you are doing the equal of eating a slow moving, full body beasting and creating a global inflammatory a histamine response, and people who struggle with with hives and water weight gain and foggy brain and water weight and just like that, you may be sensitive.
Speaker 2: What else are high histamine producing foods? Because I'm the kind of person one mosquito bite my whole arm is.
Speaker 3: Uh so, so there's whole there's whole lists of them. But like the big ones that people have are age meats and cheeses, long term leftovers, cacao, tea, alcohol, citrus fruits, avocados.
Speaker 2: Kind of interesting. A lot of those things trigger migraines.
Speaker 3: Correct histamine and tyramine, so you get you get headaches and migrants from history, but also tiraene and tyramine and histamine. Uh. Usually are are are in the same foods, not not all, but usually very similar. Uh. And putting someone on an antihistamine diet is really hard because there's so many quote health foods that are high in histamine. And fortunately, like with the genetics test, I've developed a diet that is a wenable high histamine elimination diet. And I developed the diet after I argued with one with a client of mind for forty five minutes of robocados. You just wouldn't let it go. You just wouldn't let go Like okay, I find to find a different system here to how to make this work?
Speaker 2: So, Doctor Sam, how can people? How can people find you and work with you?
Speaker 3: Sure? So? The the easiest way is to go to my website Doctor Samshay dot com, d R s A M s h A y dot com. D R s A M s h A y dot com. You can uh. Then you can opt in for my free masterclass. My DNA Decoded program is right at the top of the screen. There of people use the code gold one hundred FO one hundred dollars off the Gold program. The Gold program includes group coaching with me for the genetics and the and if people are wanting if there anyone here listening is a is a certified health coach or a licensed practitioner and you want to run my genetics in your practice, you can go to fit GENESUSA dot com f I T G E N E S USA dot com and you can sign up to become a practitioner and I train you how to run these genetics tests in your practice. I've solved for a number of major issues in the genetics space. The first problem people struggle with is they get a genetic test from another company and it's hundreds of genes with the attending hundreds of lifestyle recommendations, and it's overwhelming, confusing, and ultimately paralyzing. I figured out how to prioritize these are the things to do for diet, lifestyle, exercise, nutrition in this order, so it's it's way simpler. I've reduced the interpretation time down from hours to a fraction of that because now you have prioritized genes and prioritize lifestyle recommendations, and the reports are beautiful and they're practical, and the lay public can really really understand them, and they're not drowning in like these hexadecimal hieroglyphic RSID numbers that you see of all these genetics. It's like all these other genetic reports are so difficult, and these are now simple to understand and more importantly implement. The last thing I would say is that there's a unique genetic test that is so rare to find, and this is one where we're looking at a very specific gene, not the version of it, but how many duplicates of it that tells you are you more ideally suited for keto, Paleomediterranean, or high carb or some shade of gray in between. We can end this whole nonsense of like this diet's the best, this die's theod No, how about this guy is the best for you based on your genetics, and we can stop arguing between carnivore and vegan and high car. We can end all that by finding out what's relevant to you. And that's a part of my DNA de coded program for individuals who just want their genes, and it's also part of what I train health coaches and practitioners into running their own practice. So that's what I'm the offer. I'm also coming out with a Fit Genes podcast where I educate the public and practitioners how to better understand the genes.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. I appreciate your smarts so much, your big brain that has taken these things that are out there that people get so confused by and made them accessible and understandable. So everybody, if you want to work with doctor Sam, it's doctor Samshay dot com. Dr Samshay dot com, thank you so much for being here with me.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for hosting me.
Speaker 2: It was very nice meeting you too.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Maximum Medicine Radio with Doc Martin, tune in next time. While the doc talks health, spirituality, and the impact your beliefs have on every part of who you are, body and soul, Doc Martin unpacks the challenges we face as human beings. To learn more about Doc Martin and Maximum Medicine, visit www dot Sharon Martin, MD dot com