Speaker 1: Good golly, ma Herschela Golly, we're back with the fire Escape Cast. It is episode one hundred and twenty seven. Fucking blizzard is starting in the Northeast once again. Can't get out of this goddamn winter. Can't wait for better weather. I'm here as always with Dan Riker.
Speaker 2: You're making me nostalgic for the previous ones that I thought were bad but now in retrospect, are better than what you're doing now.
Speaker 1: You love it. That's what was the first one? The first one?
Speaker 3: Like ever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was happening in Bradley crapping in Billy crapping, Billy crapp.
Speaker 1: In Okay, shit, you don't even remember his name? No, no, hopefully you don't run into him in person.
Speaker 3: Do something with Mary's name.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's dish with Mary Kish that works. I saw I think I've I've told Dan there's a real tea uh company called Whitkert And I can't not hear your name with like a speech impediment.
Speaker 3: Or like with the Mocking Baby, which yeah, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And then I saw a bag I don't know what like. It looked like a makeup bag someone brought into the wine bar and it said kith k I t h on it and I just cannot hear Mary's name with a lisp. It's Mary Keith brought makeup what's going on.
Speaker 3: With you guys?
Speaker 2: Eh traveling got back from New York recently and that was fun, very short, but.
Speaker 4: You made it out just in time.
Speaker 3: I did. Yeah, I heard there's some shit coming in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should uh specify we're recording. We all have a busy few a month really coming up, but we're recording this, uh much earlier than we usually do. And what is today the twenty second of February. So that's why I'm talking about a blizzard because I'm sure there won't be one, hopefully when this episode goes up on the third. Yeah, I was supposed to have a flight tomorrow still somehow has not been canceled, but like the four flights per eating and preceding it are canceled, so maybe they just haven't got around to canceling mine yet even though they're going to.
Speaker 3: Is it just starting the blizzard stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's barely even sticking yet, but like the wind is definitely starting to pick up. There's some like snowflakes going completely vertical.
Speaker 2: I fight even without weather issues. In the last year, like my travel has been a giant paint. Like I used to never have delays or whole days at airports because the things getting sucked up and all of a sudden, everything just fucking sucks.
Speaker 3: Nothing works the way it's supposed to.
Speaker 1: I've been having a good like a streak of good luck. This one is just active. God, but it's it's supposed to be like two feet of snow and we just got over that other blizzard. I love talking about the weather. Let's just do this the whole.
Speaker 3: The weather that's like ten days dated by the Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sure people in fucking Miami are loving this. Mary, well you both have. Dan, you were in New York. But you guys have some travel coming up as well, I think, right, yeah, together, there's.
Speaker 4: A lot coming up. But what I'm doing recently has been getting really into reading books and then watching the movie version of the book. Yeah, like Sphere, Twilight, actually unapologetically like Twilight, and like watching the whole trilogy because it's so absurd and such a ridiculous experience. Dan, have you ever watched Twilight?
Speaker 2: Like, No, I've never seen the movies or read the books. I know it's Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and there's a wolf man. There was a feud between like Billy and Eddie or whatever, like the vampire and the werewolf or something, because I remember like stories would have like Team Billy tm Eddie h shirts and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Jacob and Edward.
Speaker 2: Billy is not in faul Billy, Okay.
Speaker 4: Billy, I love you. I so you've never watched any media of it. You haven't seen the first one.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen a Twilight. I'm a grown as man. I don't fall in with this nerdy internet stuff.
Speaker 1: You haven't seen Harry Potter.
Speaker 4: No, oh, that's crazy important. But I would say the first Twilight is culture. There was a cultural moment where it was important to observe these ridiculous films, and they get more ridiculous. Dan, I mean, I think you. You're a fan of ridiculous media. I think you. I think we should.
Speaker 3: Rectify this a romance thing. I'm not really a romance movie guy.
Speaker 4: There's also death.
Speaker 2: People are dying, like cool death like Schwartz and your deaths or is it just death Shakespeare death?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think like they are a bit fantastical about it. But people die, there's murder.
Speaker 3: What's the funniest death in Twilight?
Speaker 4: I mean they're all pretty stupid.
Speaker 1: Oh. At one point, Edward the vampire, he goes to bite someone's neck and he accidentally bites their dick and then I don't know, I don't know how it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a scary movie seven thing.
Speaker 1: Or Edward's like, oh, whoops and pretends.
Speaker 4: That's actually it's the whole books are an allegory for being secretly in the closet. Yeah, He's like, no, I'm not, but.
Speaker 3: He is, Oh, yeah, I've seen you know what.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the twilet movies, but I have seen vampires suck. The parody movie of Twilight moving on porn Hub. On the porn hub, Yeah, no, it was. It was really bad. It was like it was like a sub scary movie type thing, or like remember like Meet the Spartans, like the three hundred parody. It was like below that tier of a parody movie.
Speaker 1: Like sex House tier.
Speaker 3: No, sex House is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's that's s tire.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think the original feels like a parody, and I think you would enjoy it only in the ridiculousness of it. I don't think it's aged well either. So there's this kind of outrageousness to the first one that I think does warrant of you, but kind of want to be there for it, Like I feel like it will be a nice, like, uh experience. You'd have to be in the right mood though, you know, drunk. Yeah, everyone has to be accepting of this, if this absurd thing. Those are other movies. I read handmaid Tale, which is a new movie that just came out with Sidney Sweeney, and.
Speaker 1: Handmaid's Tale.
Speaker 4: No, no, you're thinking of Handmaid's Tale. I'm saying the handmaid.
Speaker 1: Okay, handmaid because you said it.
Speaker 4: Handmaiden I think is also one too, But I'm talking about the hand guest. No, not the Handmaid's Tale, which is also a book.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Bible Tale goes.
Speaker 4: What's it called.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You guys, tell me you brought it up.
Speaker 2: The Housemaids, The Housemaids Oka Midstale was the TV show with the Madmen.
Speaker 4: There's too many books about handmaids, maids, maidens, and I just think that culturally we have to move on.
Speaker 3: Is that like what little women is no no address? And they have the don't they have the frilly things and they.
Speaker 4: But that's like in a time where everybody dressed like that. They're not housemaids, they're just people.
Speaker 3: Everyone was just wearing frilly stuff back then.
Speaker 4: They just wore frilly stuff back then. That was like a you know, the pride and prejudice time where you just like hoped to find a really good husband.
Speaker 2: Where is a handmaid or a housemaid? Are they the same thing? I've never thought of this concept.
Speaker 3: In my life.
Speaker 4: That's a really good question.
Speaker 1: Handmaid in the in the uh in Margaret Atwood's book and the show was like literally just like a as far as I understand, a slave used to like breed.
Speaker 3: Not just like doing stuff around the house.
Speaker 1: It's like it's the Handmaid's Tale. It's like a dystop future. Yes, it's a dystoping future thing where like Mary, you might know more than me a mana it's probably like bashing your head against the wall. Let's going to me explain it. But yeah, they're like used like specifically for breeding, like in a.
Speaker 2: Wait in the show, right, this isn't like a real concept from like the eighteen hundred real things.
Speaker 1: Or a Handmaid's Tale is a dystopian fiction, right, Handmaid?
Speaker 2: But I don't know what a handmaid is? And you started talking about breeding and so wait, additional creation, right, Oh, I don't a real thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, I thought I was mad. I don't know.
Speaker 4: In Handmaid's Tale, it is a it is a different version of United States history where we get so conservative and it's also really difficult to have babies. That anyone who is of birthing age and viability gets given to family is to make sure that they continue their lineage.
Speaker 1: That's like it's like a mad man. Well, those six women that she busts out.
Speaker 2: And they got the mad men scientologist lady, isn't it? And like that admaid? I thought that was a word before that show.
Speaker 1: I think no, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Housemaid and then housemaide very different. Yeah, it's a modern.
Speaker 3: Confusion, you see the confusion.
Speaker 1: Different things will not help you in court, those socially you.
Speaker 4: Would still get in trouble. So Housemaid is a psychological thriller that I actually thought was akin to like a Gone Girl.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing the trailer in my head and I know, I'm so sick of Sydney Sweeney.
Speaker 4: I well, this is how I would sell it is and I and I know this is such an old, you know, contrite thing to say, but like, the book is so so good at manipulating the reader into not knowing what's going to happen, and there's a lot of twists and turns. It's very, very good. And I was so excited after reading the book to watch the movie. And the movie is not, unfortunately, like Gone Girl at all. It's kind of like it's bad. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: I've had that experience a couple of times in my life, and it is really disappointing. I remember, like as a kid loving Jurassic Park and reading The Lost World and being like, I cannot wait to see this on the big screen.
Speaker 4: You're going to mean the original Jurassic Park, because I was gonna be like, boy, you're on your own, everybody I read that.
Speaker 3: I read the original as a kid, and I love the original book.
Speaker 4: But the original Jurassic Park is amazing.
Speaker 2: No, well, yeah, of course you know what I'm saying. We're talking about, and Lost World is a terrible movie. I just think it's just like it's not. It missed a lot of stuff from the book and everything. It was a disappointment coming off the book. I think the first book movie were incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nobody questions that. You'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: It's fucking crazy how many huge movies came out of Michael Crichton's writing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes writing really was conducive to that. I mean like they were building up Congo to be like the next dress part that super was not I like this kid, but who's.
Speaker 1: What's the contagion? Was that him? Uh?
Speaker 3: The Andromeda Strain seventies or eighties?
Speaker 4: That was like before Oh wow, he liked Congo. I just want to say that's kid.
Speaker 3: I love Tim Curry. Ernie Hudson like, yeah, diamonds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like soy good.
Speaker 1: Lines in that Sphear. Oh god you've mentioned earlier.
Speaker 3: Spear is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll never forget Spear. Yeah, there's so many good ones. And the bummers when you read a book and you get really excited about how good the book is to watch a movie and be like, oh no, and I I was so hyped about the book that I was like, we're all gonna watch Housemaid because the book is really good. I bet it's going to be good. And then I left and went, oh, no, I know that wasn't. I wasn't and it didn't. It wasn't faithful and you can't really defend that. But I was like, that's not what happens in the book, Like they changed things, they moved stuff around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does annoying because like you'll get to part in the book and like, oh, I can't wait to see how they do this in the movie. And sometimes they just totally don't even touch it.
Speaker 4: You know, they didn't do half of it. I was very confused with why they made the decisions that they made.
Speaker 2: The worst is when it's both ends are terrible, where it's like I remember before the Lord of the Rings movies came out and I was like, this is going to be exciting. This sounds awesome, and I got the books and I was like, ooh, this is very bad this book. I don't like this at all. And I was like, I'll wait for the movie. And then I saw all the movies and I was like these are even worse.
Speaker 1: So, uh yeah, someone say something so stupid so quickly and not with no self awareness in the history.
Speaker 2: Both very bad at what they do, it turns out, Oh my god, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: I'm not falling for that.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying objectively. I'm just saying to me, like Lord of the Rings books and movies are terrible.
Speaker 4: I will say, like there's an element of like descriptor that is in the Lord of the Rings, of like describing the environments and the histories that are soup.
Speaker 2: You'll spend eighty pages talking about a little the pumpkin spin on the soup was so good, and it's like, this is fucking terrible.
Speaker 3: And then the movies are less exciting somehow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not about soup at all. They don't even have one ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just look at Hill for two hours.
Speaker 1: I will I'm not even gonna humor this conversation. What else is new in your Oh we're not talking about video games yet? I do.
Speaker 3: I saw a movie.
Speaker 2: I saw a movie that I have not been able to stop thinking about, Marty Supreme.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, we're about to watch that soon. Don't have you said it seen it yet?
Speaker 4: I have seen it?
Speaker 3: Okay, that character, I think it's pretty good. I adore that character.
Speaker 2: He is such a carneye ass worker, piece of shit. I thought, watch so much time as that guy. I love that movie.
Speaker 4: Hearney, piece of shit is like fair. I think when I walked away from that movie, I was like, uh, that person is bad and I refuse to acknowledge that this is like a good person. And I think that a lot of people are gonna walk away from that movie and be like, what a cool characters the.
Speaker 2: Same guy that thinks like Walter White or Scarface or Don Draper are like aspirational characters. There's always gonna be those people who take like argument, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, but the worst guy.
Speaker 1: You know is going to be ken for Halloween or something like that, right, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like Marty's is clearly a piece of shit in this movie. But that's why I find him so fascinating. He's like, shallame is just chewing up this character. And it's a longer movie, and I thought it just flew by, And it's again in that genre. I like, I don't know the name of this. I don't even know if it is a genre. We're talking about uncut gyms. If I like, I'd kick you and now Marty Supreme wor anxiety Anxiety the.
Speaker 3: Movie Good Time, Robert good time I loved the good Time.
Speaker 1: Well, these are all by like Tafty, three of these four from the same directors. No, this, this is only.
Speaker 2: This is josh Joshua was uncut Jim's and this Benny did Smashing Machine, which I heard was bad, and then they were both on good Time. Yeah yeah, yeah, Gunny stuff too, like I mean Benny and the Curse with Nathan Fielder and all that stuff, and.
Speaker 1: That for other good Time was in the news recently for other reasons, but people can google that. Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I legitimately think we might watch Marty Supreme after this recording.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it's worth it. Yeah, I think I recommend it for everybody. I just always like add this caveat of like I hope people are recognizing kind of like watching Fight Club, like this is not good And I'm a little worried that a lot of impressionable boys are gonna watch this and be like, what a cool dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't imagine watching that movie and being like I want to be like that Marty guy, Like this guy makes every bad.
Speaker 4: Really the guy that said that fucking this movie was like the most incredible movie of all time. Fight Club and you have to watch it because it's so important. Symbolism symbolism, symbolism doesn't understand the nuance of character.
Speaker 3: It was twenty six years ago. Oh impression.
Speaker 2: Now I recognize that I have a film degree, and I know that Fike Club is satire about toxic masculinity.
Speaker 3: I know that I have a degree.
Speaker 4: You've learned it now. Guess what, your little fucking lizard brain thought that that movie was cool and that's what kids did sixteen.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that recently because the rest of seth Rowlins was just doing like a GQ interview and talking about his favorite.
Speaker 3: Movies, like, oh, absolutely, it's Fike Club. It's Fike Club. You know.
Speaker 2: Tyler Durton's like, I wonder what sef ceth Rowns just still thinks it's cool?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: No, I know, I know what Fight Club? Has I read the book. I've read the book after I saw the movie.
Speaker 3: There, Yeah, I the deal is there.
Speaker 1: That's somewhere.
Speaker 4: Another book that I read, it's a real short story. Is this one I really do recommend is called The Life of Chuck and it was recently also adapted into a film. And the film I saw like a trailer for the film, and I was like, Oh, I'd like to read the I just think it would be neat to try this again because I had a bad one with The Housemaid and I was like, I can read and then enjoy a movie, and I hope this is better. It's actually written by Stephen King, which is interesting, and it's short. This is another thing I love about books because sometimes I don't want to read something that's going to take me four hundred hours. This is a short story about a person who's dying, and it's basically going through the phases of their life and it goes backwards, so it starts in Act three when he's dying, and then Act two and then Act one is the is the final chapter. And it's great. It's like a really good slice of life of like what happens in a world. Imagine that when you die, because the universe is how you perceive it, Dan that when you die, the universe.
Speaker 1: Ends solidistic way of Yeah, so it's like the idea is like you're dying, which means like the world is actually crumbling because it was made for you.
Speaker 4: Anyway. I love I love this concept and I loved this short story and so yet again I pull everyone together and I say, this short story was so good, Let's watch the movie. And this movie is a real tough watch. It's called The Life Tom and it's good. Yeah, it's it's well acted. That's not the problem. It's just it's a it's a book that really struggles to be a movie.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, Mike, Yeah, why did he I didn't know he was doing non horror stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, this has an interesting story. So this kind of occurred as a miracle. I think Stephen King does the opener in the book, which is interesting to uh like a like an audio not a book. And apparently, like this is one of those things where it was like impossible to even have this movie be made because it just so happened that it was May It was written by Mike Flanagan during a time where all the screen writers were on strike and so it couldn't exist. And it was also like a twenty twenty like COVID situation, so nobody could make anything for multiple reasons. And Mike Flanagan, because of where he was at the time, he was allowed to write the screenplay adaptation of this book, and so it was constructed at a time when nothing else could be made, and that's why they made this film. Like it shouldn't have existed. It's like a miracle that it.
Speaker 3: Came out during the pandemic, right.
Speaker 4: No, I think it just it just kind of was one of those like threading a needle situations where it was like, well, we already have the screenplay because it was allowed to be written by this very specific person at this very specific time, and so when they were coming back into the world, it was one of the few screenplays that was greenlit.
Speaker 3: To go okay, and it was cheap but not good.
Speaker 4: No, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing.
Speaker 4: It doesn't suffer like The Housemaid. It's it's it is built for a book. That is how I feel. When you read it, you will be like, oh, there's so much nuance. You can understand all what the characters are thinking. This character is dying, right, so it's like going into their head. It's like telling you their innermost thoughts. It's going into their past. It's telling you, like why they're doing the wacky things that they're doing. Eventually, like the idea is like this character does like a really good dance on a public square and everyone's like why is this guy dance so good? And it's like, well, they don't know that, you know, I like loved dancing and I was in a band as a youth, and this brings me back to my youth. And you can't fucking have any of those conversations in a movie. So he's just dancing in a public square.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that, like I was reading the Stephen King Short Story collection over the last year or so, and like that is a crazy thing about books that they have over movies, is like they got the huge downside and that you can't see the things that are happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a downside in the fact that you can't see them.
Speaker 2: That's a downside, but it does have an upside in that, like you can hear so much more of what's in their head. Like you can do narrating in a movie, but that's like a couple of lines here and there to set up a scene or something. This one, you can have pages and pages of what a character is thinking, which movies don't typically do, I.
Speaker 4: Mean not well, right, Like if you're having a constant voiceover. That's like this makes Dan angry. Yeah, because as a child he didn't like when his pumpkin soup was described for four pages, so he's getting more angry as he's really It's like you need that context to understand a character. That's why, like maybe we're saying, Michael Crichton's books are so much better as adaptations than a lot of other writers because he writes for action, probably more than he writes what's in your mind. This book is one hundred percent what every character is thinking and feeling. And so as a movie, I was like, this is impossible to explain. And now I don't think I could ever invite people over again and be like, we have to watch this movie because I've done two bombs in a row.
Speaker 3: You know what you gotta do. Reset with mcgoover.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna reset with Twilight. I feel like that's going to be my saving grace.
Speaker 2: I will watch it with you know, Mary, if we like get back to the BnB in New Orleans or something and it's just a thing where we all just want to like hang out for another couple hours and just chill out with some drinks or something. I will not bock at Twilight Light. If you want to force us all the watch Twilight. Okay, all right, I'm just just putting out there and New Ormans spooky town. They probably dealt with vampires at some point.
Speaker 4: It'll be it could be pretty fun to do. Hanted tour.
Speaker 3: I did one once. It's not that great.
Speaker 2: I mean I did one that was like pretty well rated and stuff, but it's still like you're just kind of walking around and they pointed buildings and they're like.
Speaker 4: Oh, you weren't drunk enough. That's a problem.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: We actually left half way through the tour because we were we were just like halfway through tour and we were just kind of bored, as me and Biank were there on our honeymoon, and uh, We're just kind of bored and we're outside and all of a sudden we heard Dan Biaka and we looked up and you guys might know Brian Voorr used to be a game informer and he was just up on a balcony having dinner.
Speaker 1: Like Brian, and so he didn't know he was in town.
Speaker 2: He was in down for WrestleMania which was ching up, and so yeah, we just left the tour and went up and on out with Brian.
Speaker 1: So did they let you swear? Could could you swear? On the tour.
Speaker 3: I see where this is going.
Speaker 1: Those fuckers come out of the ceiling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is this is your trip. So I will, I will. I am game for anything. I would do a Haunted tour. I will just say someone who's done him not the most exciting.
Speaker 4: I did one and I liked it. I think it's all in your headspace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this tour where you go to Nicholas Cage's pyramid that he's gonna get buried in, because that's all right.
Speaker 4: I went to Nicholas Cage's house. There always has to be a Nicholas Cage segment because this guy's fucking weird and has a lot of property in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Any bar you go into, Mary, I want to take you to a few different bars that, like, they all have all these frame photos of Nicolas Cage all over because he's just constantly there.
Speaker 3: Apparently Charle is there a lot too.
Speaker 4: He got in a big fight. I saw his videos he got arrested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw shirtless and tattooed, looking very drunk and got his ass beat.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, it just does.
Speaker 1: Not seem like he's doing well. No, anytime I hear anything about him, Yeah, No, what was that movie Peanut butter Falcon?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, I heard about him.
Speaker 4: Tough Time to be a wife abuser. Yes, he's like fucking notoriously known that he's like been a piece of ship to every woman he's ever been. Fuck Shia Lab, he seems like every name is. I don't care. I have like no patience for that ship. I will not be yet for that man.
Speaker 3: Strong anti abuse, Wow.
Speaker 4: I have a real strong opinion about it.
Speaker 1: Fucking police are gonna be at your door momentarily.
Speaker 4: Maybe I would.
Speaker 1: Love to beat up Shia Lab.
Speaker 4: We're closer to The Handmaid every day now, Dan. Just so you know, that's the one where women are being told to sleep with other men, not the one where they're cleaning.
Speaker 1: We know, Mike, Yeah, weird thing to say in any context. I don't remember why I said that, Probably thinking about The Handmaid's Tell we watched. I think I told you Dan, we watched Roadhouse after mcgruber a couple of weeks ago. The movie's still so fucking good.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a perfect day.
Speaker 1: He really a guy's thrown out and then pulls the body into the water and yells fuck you across the river.
Speaker 3: Terry funk is in it.
Speaker 2: There's the the do you know the thing with Bill Murray and uh and and and the sex scene and that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he calls the guys the woman's her, like, you don't know me. Your wife's getting pushed up against the wall by Patrick Swayze right now we're all watching. Yeah, she's not putting up too much of a fight. Yeah, I think you said that on a Parts Unknown episode.
Speaker 3: There's pain, don't hurt. There's a god.
Speaker 2: Man, I haven't seen Roadhouse in a couple of years. It's I didn't come to that one until way late. I didn't really know a lot of swayzey stuff until Bawk and I watch a bunch of them for old podcast, and like, holy shit, dirty dancing Roadhouse Like he had had a charisma to him.
Speaker 3: That ship was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was awesome. How old was he when he died?
Speaker 3: Like he was young? It was pancreatic cancer.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's a shame. Yeah, yeah, thirty nine or something like no, no, no, wo, no way that young. I would say fifties. Oh okay, yeah, he was fifty seven. It was barely missed it by twenty years.
Speaker 1: It's almost twice to start spreading rumors that he died in thirty nine. The myths will grow. Do you guys want to talk about video games?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, no, Mike important, Mike.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I caught it, Jake, we didn't come off, We didn't no break yet. I have a note, all my notes of games to talk on here, but at the top I have bolded and I don't know why. Fire Escape, Mike friend fart Walmart.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Walmart microphone.
Speaker 3: He Mike texted me exaid for mine. I can't say that, and I typed it into my notes doc.
Speaker 1: It was one of those stories that I somehow forgot about and once you hear it, you'll be surprised. I forgot about it. But it came up when I was Amanda and I were out the other day. I was like, I can't believe I haven't told you this before. She had not heard it. One of my friends, who you guys know, hometown friends. I guess I could say his first name, ah, full name, Yeah, it's Nico. You guys have met him in the wedding party. I there's not much of a setup. We were going camping one night and my grandpa's woods. But we were going to a Walmart in my hometown before driving to where my grandpa lived, like forty five minutes away. And we went into Walmart, and the idea was that we needed to buy like a Coleman lantern, and I think, like a some like old school like popcorn, the ones you put over the fire, the tinfoil. And so someone came up over the loudspeakers in Walmart, just saying an announcement, like someone, can you please return to Isle whatever? And I told Nico, was like, I'll give you fifty dollars if you go fart into the microphone so the whole store can hear it. He's like all right, and he kind of broke off to go toward where we think the microphone was, over near the customer service center or whatever. I thought he was just joking and pretending to go over there. So I was like, all right, I'll see you at the camping equipment. And so I three minutes later, not that long, I was just looking through the campy equipment. All of a sudden, over the loudspeakers of Walmart, I hear the two people at the gun and ammunition counter nearby, like I know I wasn't the only when I heard it, because they're like very confused looks on their face because someone clearly just farted over the loudspeakers. And I went walking around Walmart to try to find him for like a good fifteen minutes, and this is Walmart, so it's fairly large, and I couldn't. I was like, Okay, I got the camp equipment, I'll meet him back, get him, I'll meet him back at the car. Apparently like three peep staff members just saw it and kicked him out. So I get back to the car and I technically owe him fifty dollars. However, he wasn't there to buy some of the camping equipment, so I think it evened out. So I just bought all the camping equipment the call so he.
Speaker 4: Farted, which is really funny and you should tip for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he bought the camp equipment with the fart money.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he technically it went toward the campy equipment earned every It was such a funny little fart too.
Speaker 2: It wasn't funnier option because like, you don't need big, flappy record setting fart. It's just like the act of doing it in the microphone is the funny thing bought.
Speaker 1: Whole tearing fart would have been really funny in its own way.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, yes, of course, but yeah.
Speaker 1: I met it was astounded and I told her I was sorry for it. I don't. I think it was just such a busy day and we went camping later that day that like the wrinkle in my brain hadn't properly set in. I was like, oh my god, I forgot this happened. And Nico did this, so that that was him.
Speaker 3: I wish I would have known that before I met him. I would have figured his hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was nice, What a cool dude. It makes you never want to speak into one of those speakers, because I actually don't think that's a rare story. I have seen videos of people farting into those before. It's a it's a classic bit, and so I just feel like those those phones are probably covered in farts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've farted into microphones before, but always my personal microphones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would.
Speaker 1: You'd be forgiven for saying it's unsanitary.
Speaker 4: Even this is my microphone. I'll fart into it as much as I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've probably farted into this one, Harry, but not like a public.
Speaker 4: Heat Jesus, it's so high.
Speaker 2: Oh but maybe the last house when it was like just on a little stand or something. I'm sure there's an old stream where I just farted into the mic or something, and it's probably the same one.
Speaker 1: That's really good. It's farts are so funny.
Speaker 3: It's the bunniest thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any movie, Name one movie, any movie, and I'll tell you whether a fart would have made it better.
Speaker 2: At point nutt a professor, infinitely better, keep on, they needed a couple more.
Speaker 1: Infinitely better. If he's like if she he's trying, like fitting her for the dress and then she just rips one, He's like, I might I should let out the butt a little bit.
Speaker 2: I want to see an edit of the Drinker milkshake thing from there will we blood and just like put in little firsts to punctuate everything.
Speaker 1: I still like love the fact that We Hot American Summer has the fart edit on the DVD.
Speaker 3: I haven't bonus yet.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: I think I'm in clips of it. That's a great idea.
Speaker 1: It's really good. Like they jumped the shark very early on, though, like whoever was doing it was very trigger happy. So like in like the second scene when Coop, when Coop and Katie are going to I think lunch or something, or in the mess hall, every step he takes on the grass like it desensitizes you really quickly.
Speaker 2: We should do like one hundred dollars Patreon tier for the podcast that is just fart edits of every episode and Jake can just go nuts with it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that won'll take him long at all to make this.
Speaker 4: He's going to be real trigger.
Speaker 1: We should watch the fart cut of at some point for I would like like watch on all right, do you want to talk about video games now?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, I'm excited to talk about Residuval Requiem. We Dan, you've finished the games of now mayor you started. I have not touched it, but I do have many questions curiosities. I was telling you guys before this. I well, first off, we're not We're gonna avoid anything spoilery at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to lay the groundwork here so people know exactly what we're going to talk about.
Speaker 4: Some people have different versions of what a spoiler is, and so obviously even speaking about the game could be a spoiler to some people, So give us specifics so people know whether or not they want to skip ahead.
Speaker 2: So if you were the type that avoids spoilers, doesn't want to know anything, like, for instance, Mike said something before recording that like, oh, you didn't even know that. That's been like the main part of the marketing, Like stop now, stop now, and keep pass forwarding for a while, because we're gonna talk about this the game for a bit. If you are fine with us talking about things that have been shown in the trailers and talked about in the marketing, that is what we're gonna do. So I beat the game, I don't. I'm not gonna talk about any story stuff that goes beyond stuff that was in the in the trailers of the marketing or anything. We were gonna be talking about the format, which again, that is stuff that they really went over in the marketing quite a bit, you know, the perspective stuff, the different characters and things like that, and as far as like the location in all the trailers and all that stuff you've seen, they're showing this one area, this medical it's called the Rhodes Hill Chronic Care Center. That is the area that they show in the marketing, we're gonna talk about the stuff there because that is a big chunk of the early hours of the game, So we will talk about the things that happened there. Again, nothing, We're not gonna reveal boss fights or characters or anything that aren't shown already in the marketing. So if you've seen the trailers of the marketing, we're not gonna go much past that. Obviously we'll give opinions and stuff on that, but like we're not going to go deep into the back half of the game and things like that.
Speaker 4: So I think that's fair. I think this is a good overview. So if you followed the marketing, you're p probably fine anyway.
Speaker 2: Or even just watch the trailers, because I just watched the trailers and the stuff we're going to talk about here is like shit that was in there.
Speaker 4: Now. I I historically I do not watch trailers of a game that I know is going to come out because I like to have that, like I opening jaw dropping moment when I see stuff. So everybody has a different vibe with it. But I think we can generally talk about this game in a way that won will not harm your experience of it. In any way and only add to the hype if it's cool. I would like to start and preface this that I keep getting very confused which Resident Evil it is because they are using words instead of numbers.
Speaker 2: Now, it's what's confusing about that you had seven, inche you had I always think seven and villages are the same thing.
Speaker 3: There's seven photos.
Speaker 4: Just get stuck again, rest my case.
Speaker 1: Tss my case biohazard. Originally when they announced it did not it was Resident Evil seven biohazard, and then they like sort of the actual seven separate.
Speaker 3: From it, just called Resident Evil biohazard. Is that what.
Speaker 1: It's I'm almost positive it was seven at first, like actually called Resnel seven.
Speaker 2: The the V I I the v I isten in there, yeah, and the village was the G the eight and it was a v I I oh yea yeah, village v I I I Yeah. And then this one is Renine Wim it's in the que.
Speaker 3: The nine is the Q. It's nine.
Speaker 1: That's annoying, but it's nine. And I for context, I have not watched any trailers like you just told me. Okay again, you should not be listening now if you don't want to know anything about the game. I you mentioned I thought it was all first person. Like the whole game seven.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is the gimmick of this time is that it's Grace Ashcroft.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really really have avoided anything and everything about this game as much as possible, aside from the fact that it's back in Raccoon City and Leon's in it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're that's a whole weird take. Like all of the early marketing was you're in this medical facility, it's first person, you're Grace Ashcroft. Like the Leon stuff was a late reveal.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I know random weird stuff about it. I don't, but I didn't know that Leon's sections were third person.
Speaker 2: Right, So the whole gimmick here is like this is like an everything bagel of a game.
Speaker 3: This is a like you know, it's okay.
Speaker 2: You can name any of the numbered resident evils and there's clear inspiration here, like the Grace sections are like okay, So it's a lot from seven. It's a lot of the first person sneaking around kind of classic kind of the classic finding keys and mar of like one, two, three, and then you also have kind of the omnipresent kind of stalking you around bigger enemies like Nemesis from three, like Lady Dematrescue You from eight, like the dad from Mister X from two remake, you know that, the dad from Biohazards. So like there's that stuff going on, and then you're Leon and it's open shoulder. Now you can you can switch either if you're play both as first person. If you want to play both as third person, you can now. They do strongly prefer like there's a pop up that says like, you should probably keep it this way, you know, like you should probably do first person for Grace and third person for Leon. I agree, I did try. I swapped back and forth. It just feels better, like don't fuck with the perspective thing. It's kind of cool going back and forth. So like the Leon stuff over the shoulder, Tetris inventory kind of the curved health bar and stuff. It is all four or five like that type of stuff. And then Grace is limited inventory. It's the kind of like EKG you know, fine Dangers pockets.
Speaker 4: She has like six slots. It's impossible to carry anything with her.
Speaker 3: Those those hip pouches.
Speaker 2: But again, that's that's harkening back to Reson evul one is like I just remember being Jill and having eight spots and like that's what this feels like here, you know. So it is just everything that's ever been in like the Numbered Core series, all thrown into one game. Even there is one section Mary, you haven't gotten there yet, and I won't give you specifics, but it's kind of six. It's a little bit of RA six, which sucks ass six. But like there is a section that's very short and this one and I'm like, oh, this is like pretty much this sixth section, and they kind of did. It's a fun little side.
Speaker 1: Do you like the game?
Speaker 3: I love this game?
Speaker 2: Okay, I love this Now here's here's my main issue with it, And it is so both parts are so good. The Gray stuff and the Leon stuff is so good. But because you are going back and forth between these perspectives, I feel like you're getting like forty percent of two different really good games.
Speaker 3: So it's like, for instance, I prefer the Grace stuff.
Speaker 2: My favorite part of this entire game was the first few hours in the care Center, when it's just kind of really spooky first person horror. It's almost like Amnesia style horror, where it's like you are underpowered, You're hiding, you know, you've got lights, You're trying to like hide in the light and stuff like that. It's very like kind of amnesia survival horror. And then she has two bullets, like the whole time, she has a.
Speaker 3: Shitty knife that breaks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you go to Leon and it is fun itchy and scratchy, goofy town. It is like you are kicking chainsaws into doctor's faces and equipping about it and stuff, which is hilarious. It is like it is this funny power fantasy thing where it's like you'll clear an area as Grace and then you'll go back in there as Leon and suddenly you have like fucking double rocket launcher shotguns and shit, and you just fuck all you like all these things that were just absolutely terrifying you as Grace. You're suddenly super overpowered dude, which is it's it is almost kind of cathartic. A couple times it is like, Okay, go back into that spot as Lee, Yeah, because.
Speaker 4: You're not scared as Leon. And it's it's not just in the mechanics, it's in their performance. And I really want to express like Grace has severe anxiety I don't know how she made it as an FBI agent. She should not be in that position. And she stutters and constantly throughout this game. She cannot she can barely get a sentence out, she can barely speak, she cannot function. She is not mentally equipped for this experience. And so when you were playing as her, you are mimicking that. As a player, you were like, you can hear her breath stutter. Every time she enters a room, when something scary happens, she panics. You'll hear her panic. When Leon walks into a room, he's like, first of all, he's making some kind of you know, silly quip about like you know, you know, catch this, you know, not too bad for a Tuesday. I'll have what she's having. And he's like constantly doing really funny stuff without a fear in the world. I find it interesting how much more afraid I was playing as her. Yeah, not just mechanically they limited me, but I took on her personality and I was afraid as her. Coming back as Leon makes you feel like you're a superhero.
Speaker 2: It is kind of funny, like did she is this FBI agent and they send her into this like incredibly terrible situation, and it's just kind of.
Speaker 3: Like, what do I do?
Speaker 4: Oh God, you know, did she get that job?
Speaker 3: She can't?
Speaker 2: And why do they send her to that hotel because she has a history of that hotel that is not great. So I don't think she would have been the best person to send there for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 4: Any sense that they sent her and that she has the job that she has. But I do think I had a similar reaction to it as you Dan, which is it feels awesome to re tread space as a strong character. But I feel like I'm playing two separate games. I prefer to play as Grace. I think it's more interesting to limit me as a player and make me make very specific decisions of what I will do with my precious space and if I will make precious bullets. Like Mike, when you and I played these old games, and I was like, what do you mean that this will met me? Six bullets? That's so few? And You're like that's more than enough, Mary, Like six bullets is gonna save you?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In this game, you're constantly given maybe two to three bullets per enemy, And there were times where my knife was on five percent. I had two bullets to my name, and I was like, I genuinely don't know how I'm going to get through this. I find that, yes, specifically as grace as leon, I feel like they're giving you more more than enough crap to get through that game. And to me, the leon areas feel very five to six and the grace areas feel very one two three.
Speaker 2: They just do so they jumping back and forth the longer stretches, so like the my favorite part of the game is a long grace section at the beginning of the game, which Mary has played through. Like that is my favorite part and something I think is really cool here, like the place where it does feel like not just like a lot of this game is like the Greatest Heads of Resident evil moments and feelings and stuff. The thing that does feel like kind of moving forward is these characters will have they describe like these characters like retaining some semblance of their past selves and stuff. So their behavior and stuff is like there's maids that will like wander around and let's say you exploded a fucking enemy and when this maid will walk in and be like, ooh, made up mess, and like go into like a berserk mode and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Or then there's like these usher type guys that kind of work the halls and they're like, go to turn the light stuff. We gotta turn the light stuff.
Speaker 2: And so you can kind of lure them around by like turning on a light and then hiding behind a table or something, and then he comes to turn the light off and you can whatever. There's a shift that is like a larger enemy.
Speaker 1: See I did see this too, weirdly enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the chef is a great example here too, where it's like one of my favorite things is like there's a sense of like you really want to clear rooms out because this is a big, interconnected area. It's like the mansion basically, and like there are thoroughfares and stuff where it's like, man, fuck, I gotta walk in these hallways near the kitchen a lot, and this fucker, the chef is always here. So like, okay, you could avoid him every fucking time you go there, or you can try to get in a gunfight with him and kill him. We're just gonna eat through a ton of AMMO and stuff. But then there's this thing I love. It's called the like hemelytic injector where it's basically like the syringe that you can fill up. Like you find these like puddles of affected blood. It might be in a bathtub, it might just be a pool on the floor, and it's like a currency basically, and you can use it to craft things. And this injector thing you can craft is a syringe that will like basically most enemies just make them explode like a fucking water balloon of blood with one injector. You just sneak up behind him, pop them and then they are just nothing but vistra and like blood all.
Speaker 3: Over the walls.
Speaker 2: So you really but it costs quite a bit to make these, so like they are a very you know, precious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're a precious resource.
Speaker 2: So you have to decide, like I'm not gonna like, okay, this room in the corner, maybe I'm not gonna be going through there that much. I'll just sneak by this guy. I'll save my resources. But then there's that fucking chef and I was like, I gotta kill this motherfucker. I don't want to get a gunfight. He's probably gonna take twenty bullets and it's gonna be a shitty fight, So I snuck up on him. I put the injector in his neck. Fucking exploded that guy. And it's like, oh, now I just don't have to worry about that guy anymore. Like you clear, like it is persistent, you clear rooms out, and then suddenly you don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: That's what. Yeah, very funny because that's very different than my experience.
Speaker 3: What do you do to the chef?
Speaker 4: I killed him as Leon?
Speaker 3: Oh so you didn't even you just avoided him as Grace the entire time.
Speaker 4: I am a little baby, Oh horrible spit. I avoided him completely. And then when I was Leon, I was like, let's go bitch.
Speaker 3: And oh that's cool. You're coming with a shotgun or something.
Speaker 4: And I had a very very different play through than you did.
Speaker 2: That's that's really cool. Like they like that type of stuff. I think is so awesome, and like you do have to consider all this. It's not just avoid or kill. There are things like you know the crimson Head system and are one remake where if you leave it by they burn it. They come back. Well, now they're fucking blister heads and they are scarier than the crimson Heads. They are going to fuck chase you and scream, and they're fast and they're harder to kill. They got these big, blister, fucked up heads and stuff. So it's like, even if you do decide like all right, I'm gonna use my gun and I'm gonna shoot my way through this lounge area here, well great, those are bodies that every time you go into this room in the future, you're gonna be worried that they're gonna fucking pop up and be even this time around. So it's like you really got to choose, like when do you want to use those injectors and like that. It was so fun, just like being strategic about the areas you're going through and which ones you need to clear out clear out, which ones you need to clear out for now, and which ones you're just gonna avoid and kind of tiptoe past like that ship really.
Speaker 3: Worked for me.
Speaker 1: Honestly that I think the game that did that better than Resident Evil was Signalius, and you both played it that you had to be really careful with resources as well, so it's nice to hear that resin Evils kind of getting back to that, because Village you don't really ever you're not wanting for Ammo and Village If Memory Served seven was a little bit more survival focus, but like, yeah, yeah, I'm excited for this. I can't wait to play it. But I'm also like, yeah, I've I've been trying to see as little as possible about it. I'm takes a big man to fall on his sword and you know, ask you guys questions and let people know. So I'm happy to be that really, really really big man. Yeah, when you're talking about racist sections on a scale of sneaking through the boat house with Margareite in seven and the umbilical baby thing in.
Speaker 2: Village, great question because you get both both. You talk about umbilical baby, there's there's something terrifying. Well, there's a few fuckers in that care center that are big, scary fuckers that like, you're not really.
Speaker 4: Such a good job. I actually kind of like Dan your comparison to everything Bagel. I feel like they said, hey, what are our favorite parts of all of these games and gave you a little taste of all of it. Sometimes my only complaint really was I was like, oh, I felt like this should be more. It's so cool what you've constructed, but it's just a sliver of this game because they're doing so many things, but there are multiple batties in this game that I was like, you are inspired from previous games, and you are also inspired from some of the craziest horror movies I have ever seen, and Dan, I think you probably know which one I'm talking about, but there is like a boss where I was like, oh shit, you were clearly inspired by a really good horror movie.
Speaker 2: I might not know because I don't play or I don't watch a ton of horror movies, so I might not know what You're right.
Speaker 4: I know, well, you then I'm just not connecting the dots because we've talked about this horror movie and I know you've played it.
Speaker 3: Is it a girl?
Speaker 4: Is this it might be.
Speaker 3: Huh? Anyway, everyone just called.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, I didn't think about that.
Speaker 3: I can see that totally, and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, this is so inspired and it's so absolutely terrified. I played this game on a dark, rainy night and I had to take breaks because it was so scary for me. I think that this is one of their scariest games yet. Its terrified.
Speaker 2: That section we're talking about, that grace section, which is why It's like, I feel like a fully fleshed out game that felt like that long grace section in the care center, like that could rival, you know, to seven, you know, like the best the series has to offer, you know, like in terms of just survival horror. And I think a fleshed out Leon game could rival four. But because it kind of feels like we're getting like forty percent of a game here, you don't get all the satisfaction even as Leon. You know, part of the joy of like four is the level up system. Like you know, when you get that upgrade to your attached a case, it's like, oh my god, I can breathe. Oh I've been dealing with this for so long. I've been blah blah blah. And then like when you upgrade your weapon all the way, it's like, oh, man, I turned this pea shooter into this thing that's like super powerful over the course of ten hours or whatever. And since it's so much shorter here, like there is a longer Leon section the way, there is that longer Grace section, but it's like everything's on this very abbreviated like rush schedule where it's like, okay, yeah, you have your attache case upgrades and you do level up your weapons and things like that, but it like it all just happens really fast because it's like on like a three hour timeline instead of like a twelve hour timeline, so you don't have as much of a payoff. Really, Like, sure, it's great that you're leveling your shit up, but it's like it's it doesn't feel like the long treadmill to get there.
Speaker 4: You know, it does for Grace, it doesn't for Leon. For Grace, every time I upgraded anything, I was like, this is a big deal for Mary. I really needed this. For Leon. I like, I think I just like opened up a case and I got a charm for my gun and there's just like this makes your gun stronger.
Speaker 2: And I was like.
Speaker 4: Okay, And it didn't feel earned or like good or anything. And it also is a ridiculously stupid like charm that hangs off of your gun. And so Leon's walking around with this gun shooting and there's this stupid charm hanging off of it. It's almost comical and quirky. It's very fo it's like silly and yeah, you kind of almost laugh when you do it. And with Grace, I wasn't laughing at all.
Speaker 2: It was fucking terrible, genuinely terrifying. And then you get to Leon and like there's an area. I don't think you're there yet, Mary, but like you get a wristband that that's an item just like this.
Speaker 3: Will basically give you points for every kill you get.
Speaker 2: So it's like it just turns into like, all right, well, head shots, Oh I got two twenty thousand points. I'm gonna go get a bunch of upgrades. So, like the tonal shift is very Jerry, and it's meant to be, yeah, it must be very different. But it's like you are going from like, oh god, it's gonna kill everything's gonna kill me to like I need to get twenty thousand points to get b I yes, I pled for her. I think I said in the review that like Grace's parts are akin to like the dog jumping through the window in the first game, and the leon Pards are like shooting double rockets through Wesker's eyes as he drowns into a volcano. Like that is like the difference in tone between two which I love both, Yeah, but they're just they are really shoving everything into one game here.
Speaker 4: I think so, but I would like to just also bring it back and say I'm loving this game so far. I haven't beat it, so I don't have the same perspective. I am like knee deep in. I just I think I've like finished a lot of these I don't actually don't know how far I am into this game. I've tried to tell you around where I think I am, but the areas that I have completed I have adored. I think that this is better. This area, in my opinion, is like better constructed than Village.
Speaker 3: I just wanted a whole game of that.
Speaker 2: I want a whole interconnected world of that great like that is the ideal game for me right now, is like if I do love the going back and forth of the Leon stuff, because like I don't even if these are sound like complaints or whatever, Like it's all very fucking good. This game is great good, But the great stuff is so good that I think the ideal one for me would be just like keep stretching that out for the rest of the game.
Speaker 4: I am an agreement. I'm just I have Every minute with this game went by so smoothly, and so it was just so well designed. I will say like it's funny when you play the original trilogy like Mike House. Sometimes I'll be like, I have no idea where I'm supposed to go, and You'll be like, well, don't you remember that one part of the note that you read and it's said to specifically go to this area, And I'd be like, well, no, I don't fucking remember that, you know, Like this game has upgraded. It's a modern game that reiterates things like three times. There's no way that you don't know what to do next. Like they have been cautious with the player to give you very clear guidance of what you are supposed to be achieving next. And I appreciate that about this game. I don't want to like get into the old like Yello. Yeah, I don't want to get into like a yellow paint debate. But I think what I'm saying is is there are parts where I'm like, man, you really hammered this home, so I know exactly what you want me to do. But that's good. I don't think people are going to get lost and confused. I think they're pretty clear with your objectives in each section.
Speaker 2: But I don't think it's bad about it. By any means. I don't think they overdo that. Like, it's not big flashing arrows, it's not marking a thing on the map. It is like when you save the name of the say file will be like find the last part of the thing to go in this door, you know, And it's like, it doesn't say find it in this room. It's like, hey, you need to find one more thing and then go through that door. That's the ultimate goal, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, that's nice.
Speaker 4: I think they do a good job with that. There's a funny part in the beginning where a character says something. Your character says something, and then the objective gets written on the screen and says do the thing that we just said to you. And it's just like, Okay, you're being very very clear that I know what to do and where to go. And I personally like that, especially someone who usually cannot spend eight hours on a game. I have to come back to it sometimes after five working days, which means I am I don't remember. This game will help you remember. It's guiding you. It's being very explicit so that you're not confused. Also, the map is fucking awesome. It tracks everything. This is I don't think this is a spoiler. This is just modern resident evil. When you go into a room, if you hit the map, it'll be like there's a health here and there's bullets here, and it's just like.
Speaker 3: If you want to thank you.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's not like it does it by because if they were always there, you just walk into a room, look at the map, and go to it. But it's like it will only show you like, oh that amo pickup that you walked by and didn't pick up, so like it's smart about that.
Speaker 3: And then you know the red door is locked. It's very very good about that.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: I love that it tells you about the different door systems, and it's very explicit that it's like this needs a key, this needs a key card. That's a level two. This is this is a gate and I don't know if it will ever open.
Speaker 2: Like they they help you because the old games, I feel like before the map's got so good, it's like, well, okay, it's kind of a dangerous thing to go all the way across the mansion to this thing just to be like, oh, right, that door needed the club key or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they tell you on the map, even if they're like this might need a special tool and it's like ah ah wait, okay, I understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really feels like this game is a culmination of like everything they have learned from thirty years of making this series, and it seems like they've learned stuff from every step along the way and put it all into one game, which is kind of fascinating to see.
Speaker 4: Fine, it's finally tuned.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: They have softened the edges to make sure that this is a streamlined and good game experience, but they have also made a few risks that they have not done in previous games that paid off. The new upgrade system is different, the enemies are are different, and they have found good ways to make this feel a fresh game in a series that is successful. This is a good, good add to the Resident Evil series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels fresh, but it also feels like it's constantly hearkening back and nodding to the series history in a way that like, I think really works because it's not just greatest hits. It is there so many things like that great stuff in the new enemies and things where it's like I didn't feel like I was playing a cover band of a resident evil. You know, I felt like I was playing a new resident evil that is really hearkening back, like a lot of references, you know, subtle and very overt, and it really really works almost all the time.
Speaker 1: I feel like even Village sort of did that. Like the Castle felt a bit more like the earlier games, and then you're doing the House where it was very much like the Amnesia the Dark Descent or Amnesia the Dark Descent kind of style of horror where you're helpless and you're literally just trying to dodge. But that was all first person and the action didn't get that crazy, even at the factory when you're fighting the last guy or whatever order you do them in.
Speaker 3: Oh right, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds rad. Does a length feel good? Like is it similar to Village?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like ten to twelve hours, which is kind of on par with the last couple. Like Mary, for what you've described, I think you've got about six hours left.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I mean I find that shocking, considering like it was a really fantastic first half then, and I've really enjoyed it. And I will also say I think you could be spend longer. I think, uh, you could go back through these places and retrace your steps and get everything. I think, to like a well tuned gamer, this is like ten to twelve hours. But I think, for like, I always end up taking my time or getting stuck on a few areas, and so I usually I usually find that anytime someone reviews a game and they say it takes x mount time takes me about thirty percent longer.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was very very thorough about like even like it shows you on the map like all the pools of blood and stuff like that, and I was like, look, this is a finite resource. I am getting every fucking one of these things before I leave this hospital. So you know, just for context, I wasn't rushing by any means.
Speaker 4: I don't think you were rushing. Sorry, I think you're an elite gamer, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Can I think what I was trying to get out? All right?
Speaker 4: I think? No, don't you record that and don't put it in don't write down the time?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: No, Tan is right.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I really can't even tell. Like I wasn't looking at the screen when that happened. I could not have told you, which was actually merry and which was the recording?
Speaker 3: I mean she said she said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I'm just saying, like I struggle, and I usually do have to replay a boss fight or there's a there's like a the first time I encountered a crimson head or whatever they're called now, I died and I lost a lot of progress and I had to do it again. And so I think that other people don't have to do that, and it saves them a lot of time.
Speaker 2: I did die a logan to die and I was playing on the like there's you can there's like two standard difficulties. One of them is you don't have to use the ink ribbons, and one of them is like, hey, if you want to do it, standard difficulty, but with the old school save system you can do this. So like there is the like, hey, do you want to be really classic resideval here?
Speaker 4: You can't tell what the what what you use ribbons in both right? Because I did. Oh, I see what you're saying. You have to have a physical item of a ribbon in order to save yeh, brutal okay, And you can do that's and it's an items, it's an inventory, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes it is.
Speaker 4: You hate.
Speaker 2: I started the second play through on that, and you sure as hell need in ribbons is the safe.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I couldn't imagine, Like what a what a terrifying system. I don't think there's anything more beautiful than going into a room and like holding your breath and seeing a typewriter. It's just such a magnificent physical item.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing, is like the great stuff it is so are one, two three, where it's like you go in, there's a typewriter. There is an item box that shares space with all the other item boxes. So it's like, man, this is this is straight up like ri one stuff.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful, a beautiful section of the game that I have, I have thoroughly enjoyed and I can't wait to see everyone's reactions when they play through it and experience some of these monsters or whatever they put in this place. Like they did a good job with some of the design. And I know a lot of people talked about Lady di mctrescu and her scale and stuff like that. They've played with scale again in this game that I think is very smart, very it's kind of funny but scary, like they did, they did such a great physics the game. Like I wonder how they designed these spaces to do this, Like they had fun making some of these characters.
Speaker 2: You talk about some of the big characters and stuff, and like there are great moments where you're just kind of walking along. It's not like it's doing a big tense build up like oh God, something scared, It's gonna happen all of a sudden, just something will break down and you'll be looking at a thing and your brain.
Speaker 3: Is like nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, but you're just running away.
Speaker 2: Just give me the fuck out of here, Give me the fuck out of here.
Speaker 3: Like I love that feeling in these games.
Speaker 4: They did it. They do it so well, and I can't wait to see people's reactions live, like experiencing these things and reacting to some of these scenarios that they put the characters in. It's brutal, very funny as for a casual observer, Like when I watch these people play, they're gonna freak out.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be very streamable game. Like I Mary, like you, I played late at night lights Out that I didn't play during the day at all. Here just all late night hours. But like now I'm like, oh, I can't wait to watch my sister stream this. This is gonna be a very streamable game.
Speaker 4: I played this like during a thunderstorm, like there was like lightning and stuff, and I was like, oh, I was so scared.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to this.
Speaker 3: That's good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The last thing I played reson Evil was the Resuval Village VR, which is really fucking good as well.
Speaker 3: Did you guys try that.
Speaker 4: Scary in VR? I think this is that's old, isn't it? Like didn't we play that? I swear I was like still at GameSpot or something when we did like a VR play through and I.
Speaker 1: Was seven has that's probably what you're thinking now. The Village came after GameSpot Era, But yeah, I think you played seven VR, which was also good too, but like they went really hard with like each gun had different reload movements you had to do. It was great. Yeah, I can't wait to play this. I'm looking forward to it. I'm I'm gonna get around to it sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: But anyone ever enjoyed any Residonaval game, You're gonna find something to like about this for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cool Dan, I'm also curious how Securo's going or went. Did you finish it?
Speaker 3: Uh no, I'm closed.
Speaker 2: From what I heard. I was last night or the night before I streamed it, and uh spent over two hours trying to beat Owl. Any wants to see that fight. That was the part nine of my playthrough on YouTube. Boy, that was just a tough time, but it felt incredible. I was telling I went upstairs until bank after the stream. I was like, no game ever has made my brain and body feel the things I felt when I like do something like like like when I beat Owl and it's like it's an actual sensation. Just feel like like Fuzzy and Catharsis and just it I more than beating Tyson for the first time in punch Out. It's just the most like oh my god, what like it feels like a real accomplishment.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I think I've got like four hours left or so from what people are telling me. But yeah, what a fucking game.
Speaker 1: That game's red. I love that game. I still like Bloodborne the most. We're talking from soft stuff, but.
Speaker 2: That soon because I heard the emulation on that as you can play it like sixty frames a second now, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forgot you have that.
Speaker 1: Have you played blood Borne at all?
Speaker 2: I beat it back in the day, but I did the most horse. I just summoned for all the bosses. I fucking like cheese dicked my way through all the like leveling up, grinding.
Speaker 4: Like I amen.
Speaker 2: Well, now that I know that I can actually like do it right and I can actually like be good at these games, I want to go back to these games and do it.
Speaker 4: It has no right way to beat a game.
Speaker 2: My way was especially cheese dick. I mean I was like hiding in a corner and letting.
Speaker 3: Some It was Eric Tay.
Speaker 2: Eric Tay was watching me when I streamed it back at like twenty fifteen Bloodborne, and we see somebody tweet out that I was going to play it, and I would just summon Eric Tay and I would hide in a corner while he beat the boss.
Speaker 1: Eric Ty was the original let me solover.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. He was the original let me solo. He probably was also the one that was like, you didn't really beat the game.
Speaker 3: I definitely did not know that's credit. I didn't earn that.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, that game is really good, like the way that the comp it's one of my favorite combat systems. Ever, it like forces you into like if you just sit back and try to be defensive, you're gonna get fuck stuff. You need to like make contact with them. It's great. Yeah, Mary, you said you have a mini rant about sin Across.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so last episode Dan asked uh. Dan talked about Sinacross and suggested it for me because I like like Sudoku and games, like puzzle games, like calming puzzle games. So picture this. I'll wake up from RESTful slumber and the radio is on and countries are invading each other and people are fighting over water and it's really stressful, and so I turn it off. And then I go to work and there's a lot of misinformation and AI is taking over at jobs and the company's angry and it's stressful, and so I turn it off. And then I go watch television and I choose the Pit because that sounds like it'll be a nice escape from my reality. And doctors are abusing their kids and shoulders are popping out of stud pockets and we have a terrible healthcare system and it's very very stressful show.
Speaker 1: Yes, like the most stressful show of all time, And so I turn.
Speaker 4: It off and then I say to myself, video games the last bastion of mental health. Dan recommended that I play this game called Cinacross, which is kind of like Sudoku or like mind Sweeper. I'll play that and relax this evening. But it's timed, and you lose health for every mistake, and the clock is ticking, and even if you're playing an easy puzzle, the time is all of the game. So if you take too long on an easy puzzle, you'll die later. So even on the easiest puzzle, I am trying to go as fast as humanly possible, and if I make a mistake, my literal health bar goes down. And it's so stressful. Is there any end to the stress in this life?
Speaker 1: Dan did talk about the time being very big thing.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I play any more stressful things.
Speaker 2: Dan, it sounds like you're describing you just want to play normal pacrosse, which is out there. That's across three D, that's across the S, that's pacross s on switch. There's no time living on that. That's the whole gag with this one is that they turned it into a fast paced thing with a timer and health bars.
Speaker 3: And roguelike Mechanics.
Speaker 4: I'm clinically upset all the time when I play. This game is built to make you upset. It's really stressful.
Speaker 1: Is that why you went to A Little to the Left.
Speaker 4: You guys gotta get into a Little to the Left. This one is so relaxed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's it's up there with like unpacking kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Then you wind it down with some resident evil nine.
Speaker 4: Maybe I just myself. I'm going to have a stroke.
Speaker 1: Iile brainstorming Mary's Bargain, bin hole deal whatever.
Speaker 4: Telling them off. You doing this weekend are clearly drinking. One of my favorite pastimes is going to a local bar with my steam deck and I get a drink and I play a game on my steam deck in the bar. I love it. It's one of my favorite things to do on a night off. And I started playing Cintacross and I had to quit because I was like, this is too stressful. I've worked too hard this week. I had a really hard week. I cannot handle it. And I looked up a game called A Little to the Left, which was on sale. This is important because like it's also cathartic to play a game for like less than five bucks. This game is very affordable and it is a actual cozy game. It is a game where it will give you a puzzle that has multiple solutions based on scale, size, color, and you sort things the way your mind says you should probably sort it. I'll give you an example. They'll give you seven pencils. The pencils are different colors, they're different sizes, and maybe even the way that they're shaved right, there's like different points to them. Some of them around her and some of them are like super super pointy. How do you sort them? Do you sort them small to tall? You're correct? Do you sort them nubby uh tip to extremely pointy trip tip? You're also correct? Do you sort them ROYGBIV guess what? You're correct? And it's just such a nice, cathartic way to organize items, household items in your house in different ways that feel good. I played A Little to the Left for like five hours on Friday, and it was one of the best experiences where I actually felt like my anxiety was dissolving over time. And so I just want to say, like, if people are looking for a cozy game during these like wicked times, A Little to the Left was the one for me, and I really really.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed it well before the record state, I never pitched Cinacross as a cozy game.
Speaker 4: I believe that Dan like, this is right up your cozy at with a nice book and a glass of white wine. You're going to love.
Speaker 1: No, I don't even think he full on recommended. I think he just said that. You actually kind of disliked the timer as well. Dan Or you said it changes the Pacross.
Speaker 2: It's a very type but like I said, it plays a ton of Pacross. I enjoyed having a different way to do it, but I certainly wouldn't have said it was a cozy game.
Speaker 4: Like No, I don't think you described it as cozy, but you did say that I would. I think you were like, I think you'd like this, and I think maybe on a less stressful week, I would have liked it. I think there is a world in which this is. For the record, this rant is not to say I don't like Santa Cross. I actually think there's a world for me and Sina Cross, and I recommend it as a very well constructed game. I think it's beautiful. I love the Diablo esque like graphics and styles. I have no problem with this game. I am telling you that you have to be in the right mental health space to take on a puzzle game that times every second, and time gets faster in this game, they'll actually be like time now is one point four times and it's like, fuck you, sin Across, I've had a really tough day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A Little to the Left is great. I played it a little bit back when it came out.
Speaker 3: What did you think. I think it's fun.
Speaker 1: I played it.
Speaker 4: Not great for the organizer.
Speaker 1: I remember being excited for it because I liked Unpacking quite a bit. This has similar vibes. Yeah, but a little bit to the left. Little to the Left, Yeah, I liked it. There's the I'm just watching, like the steam gifts of it. Even watching it is kind of relaxing.
Speaker 4: It's very relaxing, and uh yeah, it's fair to compare to Unpacking because it is about organization. But Unpacking has all these like story elements where they're like, oh my gosh, is she moving into her boyfriend's house or there's not enough room for her cups? This is bullshit, Like Little the Left has none of that. It's like, no, how you organize your rice? Like maybe I would. I would think I would organize it like this, and the game is like, you're your genius. I love that you get stars for every completion of an organization or the way they they would like you to try to organize things. And like I said, there's there's multiple ways. So if you do one out of the three ways you can organize things, you can just move on to the next puzzle. You don't have to be like, how else can I organize it? You just move on. This game also has a really nice hint system where if you're like, I don't know, very easy, clear hint guidelines to give you a bit of a sneak peek into what it's trying to convince you to do. And you can also say I don't want to play this one anymore, and it'll be like cool, here's another one. It's just so lax for your brain. No matter what you're feeling, the game's like cool, fine, you also puzzle.
Speaker 1: I like the fact that, like in this game, the persistent nemesis is a cat that keeps sucking up all your shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it knocks over things. If you're organizing something, sometimes the paw will come in and just smack it and.
Speaker 1: From the tail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this horrific cat tail blob that comes in and destroys you. It's funny how often the games that we play are very stressful, and that's also cathartic and we can that's like a separate conversation, right where like why would you play horror games? And it's like I find it relaxing in a way, but I actually needed a relaxing game on Friday and I found it, and so that is my advice.
Speaker 1: That was the game in twenty twenty that came out before What the Hell's In a little to the left. It was Assemble with Care, very similar to Unpacking in this where you're just like repairing old school like cameras and stuff like that. I remember that as well.
Speaker 4: I love it. I like stuff like that occasionally from time to time. And I also want what do you call that, like brain like turn you can turn off your brain games like you're still playing it, but like very sick simple puzzles podcast, oh signed to like let you relax a little bit, so you never not only are you not stressed, but like it's not really going to push your head that hard, Like it's just asking you how you would you, Oh, you'll see like a picture frame and it'll be crooked. Like that's not really a puzzle. It's just like, yeah, it's giving you something to do that lets you feel accomplished. And it's got really nice colors. I feel like I've covered it.
Speaker 3: Does some fun. I want to give that a my Steam dick.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's pretty nice. And I also played it on it was on my switch. I haven't been playing my Nintendo Switch to like at all, so I like made a point to be like, I'm going to use my switch to tonight. And I actually bought it on the on the Nintendo Shop for like sixty percent off. That was the impetus of it. So a nice mobile game for your brain.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Also, I was gonna say, what was the last This is not the same kind of game necessarily, but Strange Horticulture gave me vibes like that too, Like the stakes are low, horticultures. I love that game. That was one of my favorite games of twenty three whatever.
Speaker 4: Very very common also had rain in it. It was like constantly raining in that game, and so it has.
Speaker 1: Like it's got like cozy Halloween vibes. Too, like not scary, but like fun Halloween like custom question vibes. Yeah, autumnal, it's not that funny, I have I it is a big bugaboo of mine when someone laughs too hard at one of my jokes that I did not put a lot of effort into all, I insulted Mary.
Speaker 2: We got to try to coordinate on this next time he has a joke that's just like, okay, ish, we need to lose our ship, start punching holes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and then when I say something tiant, you just don't even give me any credit.
Speaker 2: All right, we gotta try to time this because we're just gonna do it on the fly. You know, we can't we can't predict what he's gonna say.
Speaker 4: But you know, a lot kind of but not very funny all the time.
Speaker 3: Right, So we just got to get in there when he does that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, it's gonna be amazing. I can't wait, Daniel, Yes, what is demon Tides?
Speaker 2: Demon Tides is a three D platformer that just came out.
Speaker 3: My love those for bras.
Speaker 2: It's the developer who's doing pubs four or is it four D or just bubb four But yeah, it's a uh I've only put a couple hours, and so far I can tell it's probably gonna do some stuff that I really like, because it gives you a ton of tools like in the toolbox, as far as like you can just tell like, oh shit, I can I can turn into a snake to go really fast. Here, I can do a double jump into a transform into a bat. But then I can also get out of it with this boost thing, and like there's just so many different ways you can extend jumps or make them go higher or wall jump off things that like there's no way they're giving me all these mechanics early on without having some really fun platforming challenges. So and it's also it seems to be formed out of the more of like a Bowser's Fury type thing, where there's like a large ocean map with a bunch of islands and things like that, and it does seem pretty open, like at any point you can turn into the snake and just kind of like boost swim around anywhere you want in this map, and you'll just see a series of like islands and stuff on the horizons, Like I'm gonna go there and see what's there and get a bunch of collectibles and stuff. So so far, it's like I have felt kind of aimless in terms of, like, you know, it's very very open, and I've definitely had times where I'm like, I don't really know what I'm supposed to do here, but I am having fun. Just like the mobility and jumping around and sailing around stuff is very very fun, but also does really cool stuff like at any point you can place a checkpoint flag. So let's say you're about to try some crazy platforming bullshit, you can hold in why to put a flag down, and then at any point you can, like I think you hold up on the dpad, it'll warp you back to your last checkpoint flag, so you don't have to rely on the game to set your checkpoints. You can just be like I'm gonna try some bullshit, I'm gonna set my checkpoint right here, and like some games like Skate and stuff have done that before, but I haven't really seen it in the three D platformer like this before. So it's uh, definitely got a lot of cool ideas it's playing with here still very early on, but like there's there's definitely a lot of potential here.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you between this and Big Hops, which is also a similar platformer with fun ideas and a cheeky art style that feels a bit indie but interesting. Which one would you play first?
Speaker 2: That's a great question because I did think about Big Hops a lot while I was playing this.
Speaker 3: I think this is doing a lot.
Speaker 2: More that I like than a Big Ops was, so I would I would lean this over Big Cops Space on my time with it.
Speaker 3: Both both good. This has felt a lot better and seems to have a lot more potential.
Speaker 1: Uh. I was also going to say the Oh no, I was confusing that was something else because you also put Virtual Boy, like, is that the do you have a Virtual Boy? Now? Is that's the new one? Wait?
Speaker 2: You don't know, boy, look at this guy. You're you're back on the stone age here. You don't know they re released the goddamn Virtual Boy.
Speaker 1: I assumed that was the Virtual Boy re release. I was just making sure that you weren't playing the original. Yes, we talked about it on fire Scape. I remember our conversations. Oh oh, you go check out the Big Memory on Brad how's the Virtual Boy re release? Oh?
Speaker 3: These games sucks?
Speaker 2: Shit, these are no, no, no, But that's that's that's.
Speaker 4: Not even a Can you put it on while you review it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see so it actually it fits pretty well even when you have glasses on.
Speaker 4: You look so stupid.
Speaker 1: It looks so cool.
Speaker 3: Did you say cool? He was cool? Right, I can wear a shirt that would match it and everything. Look at that, man, nice, it's so big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big, clunky, dumb ass piece of plastic. It was like I played it at a funkal Land in nineteen ninety five and like, this is the Nintendo console. I can't wait, I'm gonna go into virtual reality and I played it for ten minutes. I was like, this sucks. And I kind of had a similar feeling when I played this. But it's so fucking funny to me, and it's so Nintendo that they're just like, all right, we're gonna put these very emulatable virtual boy games, Like you can easily play this on just the screen of the switch, and they're like, no, you have to have a stupid headset.
Speaker 3: If you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Spend one hundred on the plastic one, you got to spend whatever and get the cardboard one. Like you can't play them in non virtual reality it is insane. It's very Nintendo. I'm very glad it exists. None of these games seem particularly good. The Warrior Land one seems okay, but it's still just insane to look at. Just a weird fucking company, and I love them for it.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred dollars, I believe, actually lower than I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's not actually doing anything. It's just a fucking like it's you put your switch inside this thing, and all this thing is doing is like three D glasses.
Speaker 3: So it's basically it looks plastic.
Speaker 1: It looks like one of the viewing things in cities that you can use.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, like the viewfinder things to like the building. Yeah, totally. It's a very silly thing. It's uh, it's a silly thing to buy. I don't want one, don't buy one.
Speaker 1: I won't. Not going to do it, not letting you fool me this time.
Speaker 4: Such a good podcast summary. I don't want one, don't want one?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to do that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, uh, whether I want something or not? After everything we talk about from not I'm married, what is Karen?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 1: If I want one or not?
Speaker 4: Okay, uh. I don't believe that anyone else has played Karen on this podcast, but a lot of people are talking about Karen, so I'm glad that I can en talk about it with you. It's a very unique game. So Karen is a climbing game, but it's it's solved a lot of my problems with like Quop or what was the other one where you Yeah, I was comparing it to the other Quop ones where the guy you're wearing that guy watch you're playing that guy who's wearing sweatpants and sweat buttaby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 4: Much better than that. It's like very thoughtful and nuanced. Of is one button, which I like. So imagine you're climbing and X is your grab. The game automatically selects your next limb, and then you use your steering to decide where the limb should go, and then you hit X to grab the more sturdy of an item that you grab a rock, a surface, a crack, those types of things will give the player just a sturdier climb upwards as they as they advance, as the rock starts getting smoother or it's starting to actually come towards you. So you're essentially going upside down. The character's legs will wobble. I will say it. At first, especially if you watch gameplay of this, you might be like, that looks bad or it looks janky, But that is the game's visual way of saying you are at risk for falling, and so it's a very natural and organic way to show stamina as opposed to a bar. This game is like Tactile and it's showing you things without any ui and I respect this game a lot for showing what it feels like to climb a massive rock face and eventually as you as you go, you are climbing a big freaking mountain. It is always showing you in a visual way that you are in danger, and you absolutely are when you're playing. When you're playing this game, that you need to find a better foothold for your body to sustain, and if you do not, you absolutely can fall. And there's only certain saved areas in this game, and if you fall and you die, you have to redo that entire rock face. I think that's also good. This game is a risk reward about you choosing the right path. It has a really interesting visual style for you to be able to change the camera angles that you can look at the rock face and say, oh, I see that there's a lot of pointy rocks on this. This will be easier to climb than this riskier one. But this riskier one has a cave, which means there's going to be an item in there, which I would probably want. So it's a lot of risk reward of like which path you're choosing. Not only does the game allow you to move your camera angle so you could see the rock face a little bit better and make a good decision, but if you're in this visual style and you hit why, it shows your entire snail trail of everywhere that you've climbed previously, including when you've chosen a rock face and like fell and got injured or died, and so the entire journey is dotted all the way up this giant mountain as you traverse the rock front. I think it's a brilliant design for what it is specifically trying to execute, of making you feel like you are a rock climber taking on one of the most enormous mountains of your career and letting you go on on the journey with it. I really like it.
Speaker 1: How are them climbbacks? What?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I laugh hard? Oh my god, thank you, thank you, I'm.
Speaker 1: Actually choosing you're really laughing. Sounds good to uh.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: It's all diegetic. Yeah, Like even the bandages that theyre that she's okay, I'm seeing her and wrap like like wrap up blisters and cuts. Is that just like you hold the button and she does automatically.
Speaker 4: Or she does it automatically. But you do need to have enough take you do. You have to you have to build things. You have to make sure you have enough tape to heal your fingers and your toes. If you climb a riskier rock face, you are more at risk to cut your fingers on a sharp rock face. That is a risk you take as a player, but it's maybe better than doing a smoother rock that you'll slip off of and fall. There's so much digetic gameplay, Mike. There's there's that, there's there's a there's a food system. And the food system is a lot of things that you find on your travels, like berries or maybe you I actually stumbled across like a dead guy, like somebody else who failed climbing the mountain, and I stole.
Speaker 1: All of his like, oh, you cannibalized him.
Speaker 4: I ate him? Uh no, I I got all of his old stuff. And it's all in a backpack. And the system for the backpack is that it's if you can see it in the trailer, it really shows it well. But there's no item slots. It's just a hole of a backpack and all of your items are in there flopping around. And if you are out of room, there's a button to shake your backpack and all the items like physically move around and hopefully give you a little bit more space to have enough items. Like how cool is that? It reminds me of Kingdom two crowns and Kingdom two crowns. It doesn't say you have forty dollars. You have a pouch with gold coins and if it's two full, they start falling out, and you know how rich you are based on how full of your pouches of coins. This is the same thing. It's like physical items bouncing around in your pack, and it's you have to be like how many chocolate bars do I have? And you gotta shake it to like see them all. It's really it's really fun how they have your items. You do have thirst, hunger, and I think sleep, although it's probably like focus and I think is how they describe it. And so you do need to sleep, you do need to eat, and you do need to drink water consistently throughout. And as you progress on the mountain, you get cold. So maybe when you're in your tent, after you've taped your fingers, you will take the berries that you've found and you will put them in your water bottle and heat them up, and now you have tea, and so that will give you additional focus. It will it will feed you a little bit because of the berries, and it will also give you hydration, and it will heat you when you get cold on the top of the mountain. The last thing that you can do in that tent is you can fix your petons. I never say that, right, pons. I think they're kittens. And when you are climbing, if you are climbing a very tall rock face and you think you might fall, it's a great time to put a pitten in the wall, which will save you. And you also get your stam in the back because you're like, oh, I got to relax because I'm connected.
Speaker 1: To this wall.
Speaker 4: You have six precious, precious pittons, and you there is a quick time event when you decide to put one in the wall, and you're also very stressed right because you're shaking because you're about to fall, and so you're like, I need a pitten. I need a pitten right now. And if you do it incorrectly, you can crack your pitten and now it's gone. Now you only have five. And as you're on your journey, you might find some scrap, you might find some metal, you might sign some stuff when you are sleeping in that tent. The other thing you can do is you could try and fix your pittens so that you can have six again. You can actually break them, I think permanently, or you can just like crack them, which means they need to be repaired. If you do a perfect wall pitting attempt, then it's in great condition and you're in great condition. So you want to make sure you're getting everything right, but that's hard to do in a very stressful situation.
Speaker 1: I'm like in how much puzzle solving there seems to be as well, with like messages and maps and stuff like that, and like also just environmental storytelling looks super cool.
Speaker 4: There is a strong story that is being told. As you climb this mountain, you are facing a lot of personal demons. There's a lot of really good passive storytelling.
Speaker 1: Is it about it? Is the game metaphor for mental health challenges? Oh, well that's new.
Speaker 4: I think it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think she's overcoming a lot of personal demons. There are people can send her voice messages. You're getting a lot of audio clips from friends. Doesn't sound like she has a lot of family. I think that comes into play a lot. I have not gotten far enough into it, but people have talked to who have played a little further or like, this story wi't gut you. It is a good, good, hard earned story, and so I love that. But I can't personally speak to it. So there's a lot going for it. I will tell you from a person who likes to mix up their gameplay a lot, there was a couple of times where after falling on the same rock face three times, I was like, well, I'm gonna play something else, and I think you can quit this game. Just because of the nature of the beast. There's not a lot of mix up. You're here to climb a rock and if you don't like doing that, I could see a player getting bored very quickly.
Speaker 2: Like I'm thinking about, like I want to play this game. I'm very curious about it. I really liked Jussant. I have like, you know, grow Up or Grow Home. You know, I have liked climbing games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like to Grow Home a lot.
Speaker 2: But there was also the baby Steps thing where it's like it did do the thing that you're saying this does too, where it's like I fell down a thing the first time and that I've spent twenty minutes climbing up and I was like, well, I'm not doing that again.
Speaker 3: I'm done. So it's like I am wondering if this would be similar.
Speaker 4: I think that this can dig up feelings like that. The good news is you can always pick a different mountains have many ways to climb them, and so you don't have to pick that same climb. You can pick a lot. The game gives you endless areas that you can try the same wall in a different way, and so I do appreciate that about the game. Nevertheless, I actually did have that moment where I climbed the wall like three or four times and I fell three or four times. Then I said, I'm gonna play something else, so I could see people falling off and quitting if they're not getting the good feelings that you should get from being able to achieve the climb. You also can get like really physically hurt, which makes me just want to restart my save, like if I fall and break or like hurt a bone. She goes to sleep to like, you know, recover, and a part of me was like, I'll just I'll just restart, which I'm not dealing with all that shit. So anyway, I don't think this game is for everyone. I think it is a very niche game. I think what it's trying to do is one of the best doing it. So my warning is maybe for like gamers who tend to be like that feels a bit tedious for me, it probably is too tedious for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is from the game bakers. This is kind of a left turn from that They did Fury and Haven. I don't know if you guys played Haven. Fury was the more stylistic way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Haven was the twenty twenty the like romance set on a different planet kind of RPG ish thing. They make a quite different games from release to release.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's cool that they took such a risk with this. I think it is a it is a huge risk. The last thing I'll also say it is probably obvious, but I just want to say graphically, this game is stunning great and it's it's doing a fantastic art style that is required for this type of game because when you are climbing a mountain sometimes the rock will look pretty flat except for like the tiniest crack, and that crack can be the difference of you climbing or not, and so this had to have very fine line work. So this game has vast vistas where you are being able to as you climb see massive mountains and clouds and rainbows and rain systems and god, this game is so beautiful. But it also has to have high detail of lines and cracks in the wall and in your body so that you can see like where you're cut and where you're hurt and what's going on. This game has threaded a needle of high fidelity without giving you so much noise that it's not appealing to look at. This game is beautiful to look at, and it's also very nuanced with its art style. I love this art style. I think it's it's really nice. The audio is nice too. I want wondered if maybe you might think it kind of feels like death stranding a little bit Dan, like you're not you know, you're carrying stuff up a mountain and like charting a path.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting, And I do typically like the games that like, you know, communicate things like stamina everything through like diegetic you know, in world things, So like I do like that Desk Trending did have a lot of shit going on the screen, but the idea of just kind of carrying something or just like this laborious thing turned into gameplay I can enjoy for sure.
Speaker 4: So it's cathartic. I think. I think it's like relaxing to be like, how will I tackle this really tall rock face? And as long as you have your hittens, you usually can achieve great things in this game. I think it's fascinating. I just have to be again, I had to be like in the right head space because I do think it's a bit slow, I guess is what I will. I will say it's like, yeah, do I want to climb a rock for three hours? Like all right, this is the one.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, do you guys want to talk about emails or yeah? Okay? Reminder that you can and send in questions for the show to fire Escape Cast at gmail dot com. That is Firecase fire Escape Cast at gmail dot com. Get your questions read a video game related or otherwise usually otherwise got some game game specific ones tonight, but our inboxes getting low, so refill those the questions for the rest of the year or at least the next month. Send one in all right, Mary, do you want to read this one? From Darien?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 1: That's the subject I should say was Desert Island video game. That's basically it.
Speaker 4: Dear castaways. What's the game you could pretty much keep playing forever if it was the only one you had. Mine has got to be Total Warhammer. Shout out to Maharty because there's just so much stuff in it. Cheers Darien from Toronto.
Speaker 1: I think we've done this before, but I think it was like a couple of years ago. If Emory serves, yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about it again. It's a very different perspective, right, This isn't the game that you love, although it could be. This is a game that you could play forever because it's the only game you're allowed to play for the rest of your life. So it's a very different way to view your favorite game.
Speaker 2: I feel like, man, I don't think it'd be like infinite replayability, But there is something about like punch Out that, like, I've played it.
Speaker 4: All, you could not choose this game?
Speaker 1: Really why it just disagrees with your opinion?
Speaker 4: Same, what do you mean that's the point of this podcast? I disagree with your opinion?
Speaker 3: I was laughing.
Speaker 1: I know I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: I know it's subjective, but I just can't imagine there's no like mix up. It's the same.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there's so so much nuanced to how you can go about this. Like I've been playing this game for thirty five years and I'm still like, oh, I know that was possible to know you could do that.
Speaker 4: Like the same people, it's the same.
Speaker 2: It's the same part that That's the thing is, like I have fought you know, the second Piston Honda a million times, and I still there's so many little things that like I've never been able to pull off or that like, oh I did know you could beat in that way or whatever, Like every fight has so many different little variables and things like that that like, that's what makes it a great speed run game, is like it does. The way I play this game now is completely different the way I played it five years ago or as a kid, And like, I would like to further refine that, you know, but I do think at a certain point you would hit a diminishing returns, like Okay, I can't really shave off any more time here.
Speaker 3: But that's the first thing we came to mind.
Speaker 4: I mean, linked, that's a crazy choice. I I would say it should be something that has like endless replayability, like a world of Warcraft where it's just like you cant be in that world. I'm assuming. So he did not say, Darien, please confirm if the island has internet, it's this just said this actually just says like it's the only one you had. So it's like it's the only game, Like it should be a game I mean so vast that I could play it forever.
Speaker 2: You're saying it needs to have replayability. I don't think there's any game I have booted up more in my life than Punch Out. There's no game I've beaten more in my life and punch Out, And you're just saying punch Out right now. I would like to go play punch Out right now. It's pretty replayable to me.
Speaker 1: I wonder over Okay, yeah, because like I my head, like my favorite games of all time, my mind immediately goes to like Okerina and MAJORA. But even then, I don't like, if this is this is forever we're talking about. Like, for the record, I don't think there's a single video game I wouldn't get sick of at some point. However, the one that would probably keep me going the longest, total war Warhammer three is definitely up there. But I'm going to try to be less predictable and something like I don't know, like war Frame. Even that kind of gets my numbing, Like I want something that I can actively like, Really, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not gonna be predictable yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, Breath, I'm shocked, like Breath of the Wild, I wonder.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I was thinking about that last night because I was just kind of like fried after a week of travel and stuff, and I just wanted to play something that I didn't have to think too much about. And I booted up Breath the Wild, and I have a save. Its got like, yeah, it's easy game. Yeah, I've got three of the Divine Beast beat and I'm like, it was so easy to pick up. I haven't played this save for a few months, and I was like, okay, okay, I've got a bunch of shrines that could do. I've got the Divine Beasts like, I got plenty, I can occupy myself.
Speaker 4: We would mine for like minerals and cook.
Speaker 3: Stuff for monavous stuff.
Speaker 2: You can pick it up at any point and it's like, Okay, I'm having fun immediately.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good pick. I feel like you could do that forever. I think maybe if I'm allowed to cheat a little bit, I would hold and say I won't play it until it comes out, and then choose GTA six because I think I think I could play that for the rest of my life. My prediction is that this game will have so much shit in it that I could play this for ten years.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be funny if it's bad, though it's not, that would be funny if you would wait and then you had to play this terrible game.
Speaker 2: Then to be able to play a bad game, what a It just sucked ass Like objectively like it's plity.
Speaker 3: All the voice acting is terrible. It kind of looks like ship Like.
Speaker 1: It's not fun whatsoever in marriage.
Speaker 4: There for the rest of my falling life, God's Sake.
Speaker 3: One of the greatest, most refined games of all time.
Speaker 4: Okay from like nineteen Dickity two. This is like a modern world. You could pick any game.
Speaker 1: I would also consider x Com too, I think also predictable, But I gravitate towards stuff with emergent gameplay or procedural stuff, because that's where that's what I would go to.
Speaker 3: Like Eugenics is kind of like it just kind of keeps going. That's one that I.
Speaker 4: Bet you could play that for hundreds and hours. I don't know if I could.
Speaker 1: But you have to.
Speaker 4: Have the ability to Hades.
Speaker 1: I still think I would, Like I've I've done long stretches of Hades one and two, and I still was like, all right, I've played enough of this game.
Speaker 4: Sure I can get sick of Hades. I think it has to have something that has a mix up in the core gameplay, like like Minecraft, Like you can play that billions of different ways. You could be like I'm going to build a life size replica of my grandmother.
Speaker 1: I'm going to build a boat to get home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then and then die on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think you could do so much with that space, creatively, problem solving, actually getting, you know, trying to beat the game. You could play that game hundreds of different ways and spend tens of thousands of hours, and I don't think you would be that bored. You might get tired of it, but you'ld always try something else.
Speaker 2: He's eight lacrymosive, Dana, and be up there. What e's eight lacermosive. Yeah, yeah, eight lacermosive Dana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a sound bite. Dan continuing to say the same weird game game is its island game.
Speaker 3: Though there's a lot going on here in The combat system is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always pegged you for a I shouldn't have started the sentence that way. I always had you pegged for a A yeas guy.
Speaker 3: Mainly ye say lackermosive Beana. That's the only one I've.
Speaker 1: Played, Dan got the yeast infection. I think we've talked enough about our test island games disgusting. I'm gonna call it weird way to say that. Thank you, Darien from Toronto, Toronto. All right, Dan, Toronto, I almost said Toronto. It's not how you say it, uh Dan, Oh wait, actually there is first game the named her Violet. I'm gonna cut that. It was just Christian here was showing sent us a photo of their new kid that they talked about on the podcast. I don't know if we should share babies.
Speaker 4: Babies. It's got a round face, you get it, smiling?
Speaker 3: You seen a baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, i' you're a baby.
Speaker 1: This one from Christian. I just cut a few things Christian apologies to get her to the question.
Speaker 2: In what way are each of you still like a baby or child? Examples? Is one of you expect everyone on the street to stop and say how cute they are? This is definitely Mike would marry in Christian? Yeah, yeah, would marry in the middle of a meal decide she is bored and need to punch someone right in the boob, or any of you unable to make it through dinner without filling your pants multiple times and smiling about it.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Dan, you're the only one left. You get pooping.
Speaker 2: Wish you all the best in lives full of many blessings In twenty twenty six. That's christ Now listen, Christian. I've set up before, I'll say it again, and I'll tell you when something changes. I have not shpited my pants past diaper's age, not once, but I will tell you when I do. I will not be ashamed of it. There are many reasons an adult could shit their pants. I have not done it.
Speaker 4: Genetically, You're the most likely.
Speaker 3: What does that mean He've.
Speaker 4: Been passed down from generation to generation.
Speaker 3: My dad just get skid marks. He doesn't like fully dump.
Speaker 1: Just like a ba my pants. I've talked nauseum about it. The jump poop. I still am so proud of I like what am I still like a baby? I still sometimes wake up in the morning in the fetal position, like I clearly my body wanted to do that night when I was sleeping.
Speaker 4: I like to sleep not fully.
Speaker 1: I do like the like sort of curled up with my hand between my legs.
Speaker 4: It's a ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think I do that too, And I thought that was a weird thing.
Speaker 2: I've never heard anyone say that for like fetal and then like arm under and like talk between it's like comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it must be more common than if like, this is a this is a sixty six percent use case right here between three people.
Speaker 4: That's a good example of the global population. And I think it's womb we like it's like being back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of stuff when I'm sleeping that I don't remember. I sleep walk and talk amandas a saint.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I haven't a seened to do that before. That would creep me on.
Speaker 2: I've seen you walking around and not being conscious, but I didn't have anything to do with sleepwalking, old boozehead.
Speaker 4: I think like a child. I have tantrums, and I am most likely to have a tantrum based on something that I think someone who has wronged me or something bad has happened. Just literally this weekend, I thought I was going to get a game code and something went wrong and I didn't think I was going to get it, and I went on a little rant in our discord and I said, well I don't get the code, I'm not going to talk about that game. I will not be there for this part of the podcast because I don't want to get any spoilers and I and I actually stomp my foot when I was typing that toe you wow.
Speaker 1: Amanda was we were getting ready. We did Valentine's Day yesterday because we were seeing my family on the day, so we did a week later and we were getting ready to go out and I was on my phone like and I literally said out loud, Amanda's like, what are you doing. I was like, Mary just needs to take a deep breath.
Speaker 4: I was pissed, and I was like, where is this code. I was told I was getting this code. I'm ready to have this code. Now code does not work. I am upset, and I and you both. I wanted you to both hear about it, and I did not. Only did I text in the discord. I texted Mike and interrupted his life to be like, this is a big deal. Yeah into the discord.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've seen Dan get weird about game codes before. Oh yeah once once once. It was at the in the New York office when I.
Speaker 3: Was a physical.
Speaker 1: No I remember the game. I don't, but I remember like you were bothering Vinnie about something.
Speaker 2: And I remember I remember one in New York, but it was a physical one that I remember. I went in over the weekend to he would shut up the mail room.
Speaker 1: Good, No, this is something different. It was a Friday and it was getting to like four thirty pm Eastern, and you were pacing around like why why haven't they said it? Can I should? I think that Vinnie's like, Dan, Yeah, this is a while ago though. Yeah, there's thing was yesterday less defensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Dan's grown a lot.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 3: The game is making peace with not getting its way, and so it's like when something is like, wait, I don't want it to be like this.
Speaker 2: I will just fill a buster and just just be like what, No, I what do I need to do to get my way right now? Because it's all I'm gonna do until I get my way.
Speaker 1: I have a bit of a leading question. Yeah, and please refute me. I'm not I'm not trying to get you guys to maybe I'm wrong. Am I the most emotionally mature of us? Three? Genuine question? Do you? From your point of view? I'm not saying I'm.
Speaker 2: Always I think I am, so I think people would be surprised by how emotionally mature I am.
Speaker 1: No, I know you're emotionally mature in some ways.
Speaker 2: I think the way you just said and like genuinely dealing with people and how me and Bianca are together and everything.
Speaker 3: I'm emotionally mature.
Speaker 4: It's a little saying you're a baby. We're saying you're lower on the totem pole than Mike, who keeps his ship together in almost every respect of his life shits together. Am I?
Speaker 1: Let me let me right that. It's a load of question. It was unfair. Let me reframe this. Am I the most emotionally mature in situations where something's not going my way?
Speaker 2: Oh, if you can deal with things not going your way, then yes, you're more mature.
Speaker 1: That's what I like.
Speaker 3: My brain breaks in two if I don't get my way.
Speaker 1: I know it does, and the like twice our friendship, Like once our friendship has become strained. I I don't have a specific instance my head, but it was I think it was your fault. I would love to know what that is, peacefully. What was it? No, it's it's all like that. It's that's the stuff that comes to mind. Is like when when Dan's got an idea of how the next day or two should go in his head and I'm like, I know better than to fuck with that now.
Speaker 2: Well, because history is just shown that, like there's always a way there's always a way to get where you want to go.
Speaker 3: It's just a matter of how much the pain of the asks have to be about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh oh, I remember what it was the getting back into MSG. I really did not super like you that night.
Speaker 2: That was a moment where I was like, why am I not getting what I went right now? I like to go backstage to Manchester Square Garden. I was just backstage. Let me back there again, and they were.
Speaker 1: No. The only information you had was that a guy named Chad could help us out, and the police officers like guy I worked for the NYPD. I don't even know what the fuck is going on there. I can't let you back in.
Speaker 2: I have one job, blackout, drunk and arguing with the I wanted to go hang out with wrestlers more.
Speaker 1: Yep. That that That was the literal only time I was actually like, did not want to be around you like you were. I was on the cops. I was on the cops side. That's how annoying you were being.
Speaker 3: I just really annoying.
Speaker 1: You get tunnel vision for sure. Sorry, this didn't have to become about you. I'm just curious because I think like the ways.
Speaker 4: And is super annoying.
Speaker 3: And I'll take that over angry or violent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For the temper emotional, I do not have a temper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a temper.
Speaker 1: I think I can. I don't know, like because Mary's got the temper, dance, got the like tunnel vision. I think on the emotional spectrum, I think my biggest weaknesses within the confines of our group. I can be stubborn for Mike.
Speaker 2: You do have a certain thing where it's like, oh boy, if you don't like someone, you know, you are like I want them dead.
Speaker 3: I like, you can't be in the same room without glariot. Yeah, very well.
Speaker 1: If I don't like you, you've got problems, buddy, like I And.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I've never seen you really come around on someone like the people that I can probably write a lot eight names right now that it's just like Mike's dead to.
Speaker 1: Me if you say it and then I don't want to make more work for Jake. But you just beep and I tell you whether I've turned around and them, is that worth it?
Speaker 3: You got to be ready with the beeps. I'm going to also cover my mouth to the video.
Speaker 2: You can't tell I'm excited for this all okay, okay, yeah, example number one.
Speaker 1: Fuck that guy. Fuck him No, I will never ever come one on him. Keep going exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well that was that was number one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you started with the top.
Speaker 2: That's Mary, Mary, you got one. You wont take a turn. God, that one is so glaring.
Speaker 4: That was obvious that everybody dislikes that.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody likes that guy.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was just such an obvious one that, like, I feel like there are other ones, but that.
Speaker 1: I think you've got, you know one, I almost just said way too much and like almost revealed who it was without the beep.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I mean, I know people you dislike. I wonder how like hard we're going, right, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Trying to see if I have come Yeah, if I've come around on anybody.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I don't remember the exact name, so I'm just gonna describe this person.
Speaker 3: Oh I think it's Oh yeah, no, I don't like him at all.
Speaker 1: That's not his name, but I know exactly it's not even the right name. I know you got the last name correct, Okay, uh yeah, no, no, no, no, no, no no, because I don't I don't think I unfairly like anybody, dislike anybody. I think I have valid reasons for all of them, Like these first two you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know you like I'm either no, yeah, I'm with ye, fully with you.
Speaker 1: Second one just super pompous.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't hang on ready.
Speaker 1: Oh of course not nobody likes her either. That's not just a me thing. This is so fun. It's cathartic as fuck for me. I didn't mean to turn this into a therapy session. I'm trying to think if there's anyone I have done a one eighty on. Oh, actually there's there's. I've got some there's an intense enough dislike where I get to that I can't come back, but like there's they have the opportunity to save to turn it around.
Speaker 2: I've definitely had that over time, where it's like people that like, oh boy, it just seems like we don't like you Chiller at all, you know, in twenty fourteen and now it's like, oh yeah hung out with these people and yeah they'll you know.
Speaker 1: I said they have one yeah, Mike, Mike. Oh, I never had the huge problems with her. That was more I know who did I don't I don't like her, but I like, I never like intensely disliked her.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, okay, ready right right, yeah, oh god.
Speaker 1: That that he earned my ire for sure. Like over a long period of time, I try, I gave that guy chances. That's funny, Okay, that Jake, there's four there should be four, be no, it's five or five?
Speaker 2: This is so And all of them were ones that you superhte well, no one of the merry one was like Mike didn't hear.
Speaker 1: To my credit, though, I would not care if any of these people heard this Jesus, Like, I take pride in that I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't.
Speaker 4: They would know too, they'd be like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: All probably two two three, I think all those people know except for the third one.
Speaker 4: And today is the day we learned that Mike is the most emotionally mature of all of us. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I've I'm stubborn in who I dislike, But I've definitely there's been a couple I've turned around on, but those were not like intense dislikes. Those were like I don't really like this guy. I'm not this guy's biggest fan. But then later on I was like, actually, no, you know what, they turn around. There's been a few after we stop recording. I'll name a fear.
Speaker 4: You're on the good list.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: I would actually say, I think we're all probably around the same level of like we all have our little things that are a little not as mature. But I don't think anyone's like wildly in one direction.
Speaker 1: No, no, Yeah, we're doing great, We're doing fine. Yeah, I think we're doing fine. And if you don't think we're I'm gonna be stubborn. I'm not gonna like you about.
Speaker 4: It, like you're going on the list.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Christian. That's our emails today. Oh god, I gotta really uh make sure to tell Jacob. Yeah, all right, well, thank you Christian. Thank you Darien as our email section. That's our episode. Like I said, fill that inbox. Back up. The more creative questions that lead to fun combos, the better. That's fire skip cast at gmail dot com. That is episode one hundred and twenty seven. We recorded it well in advance. I'm curious to see what everybody else thinks about Resuevil Requiem. Sounds like people might be pretty positive on it. Once the embargo lifts. I'm excited to find out, excited place.
Speaker 3: Think it's gonna be very well received.
Speaker 1: Yes, I might if if my travel uh what's the word I'm looking for my travel travels continue, I might use the time bought back not traveling to play resid evil.
Speaker 2: I would say, too, like I don't know how it's gonna run on steam deck. I didn't try, but like it's one to like, you know, like Mary and I both had that experience that you know at night, you know.
Speaker 3: Set the mood pretty hard.
Speaker 1: Right now, maybe I'll have Supreme. That's rough out right now. It's the whole world is white.
Speaker 2: Especially the gray stuff. The great stuff at the care Center is like top non. I'm more excited for that than which Leon stuff is super fucking fun.
Speaker 3: Too, It's just the gray stuff's better.
Speaker 1: Cool. All right, Dan, what do you have going on? Before we close the episode out?
Speaker 2: We are killing it over at giant bomb dot com. Lately we got new stuff we are launching. We just launched Abby's show, The Marry Me Tomadacci, which is hilarious. Tune in for that. But yeah, just go to giant Bomb. Chack of the BombCast. Blake Club's killing it. We've just got so much stuff going on over there, and it's all been very exciting. More to come to cool, Mary, What about.
Speaker 4: You, I'm playing, Uh, I'm streaming games on Twitch usually before we talk about them here, and I think that's kind of cool. So sometimes my very first impressions of a game will be on Twitch. I I streamed Karen that was kind of like my first reaction to it live, so I think that's a good place. And updates about my dog and normal life on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Mary, I had an idea I want to run by you that's related to Resident Evil, and I'm sure people are wondering what our plans are.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was going to offline it because I didn't want to put pressure on you, But what's I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, And I don't want to. I almost don't want to mention it because if we don't do this, and I that's my fear too. I'll tell you after. I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I don't want to set anything up because your your travel is so bad in the next few weeks and then mine's bad in March, and so I was like, what I don't want is for us to like make people wait.
Speaker 1: It won't be time soon, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but obviously I do think we should figure out how the next Resident Evil will work, and I have some ideas. Yeah, so that is something we will figure out, but just due to work and travel, and I also have some projects that I'm working on secretly that I have to finish too. So one all that stuff is done that I'm in.
Speaker 1: Cool And if you're not a patron of ours, through Patreon, you can add free episodes and the video versions of the episodes. We also do bonus videos, recordings, et cetera. Whenever we can find time to go to Deep Dish Pussy dot com correct to you can become a patron there, or just go to patreon dot com look up fire Escape Cast. That's our Episode'll be back in a couple of weeks for episode one twenty eight. Looking forward to chatting with you guys again. Will you have been to New Orleans by then or no, March We'll publish on March seventeenth.
Speaker 4: We go on.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at our next recording. No, no, we're recording.
Speaker 1: Well, at some point I want to I want to catch up on that trip. Unfortunately I cannot make it. I don't like merry enough.
Speaker 3: To Recordings from now will be right after. I'm true looking.
Speaker 1: Forward to that. No, I don't, I don't dislike you, all right. Thank you Dan, thank you Mary, thank you body for coming to listen. We will see you in a couple of weeks. Till then, Bye Bo.