Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, every dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are in a farmhouse on the southern coast of England. The autumn countryside around you desolate and bleak, and you know that in the dusk outside, waiting patiently for you, silently watching for you, is an enemy from whom there may be no escape.
Speaker 3: Listen now, as Escape brings you daf Nativo Yer story The Birds.
Speaker 4: On Assemble the third The wind changed overnight, and it was winter. Until then, the autumn had been mellow soft, the earth was rich where the plow had turned it. I didn't do the plowing, No, my wartime disability had seemed that they gave me mostly the lighter repair jobs to do in the three days a week that I worked at the farm. A bank to build up, or a gate to mend. At the far end of the peninsula, where the sea surrounded the farm land on either side, Deborah and I had taken a cottage up here to try again for the sake of the children, and it seemed to be working fairly well.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed my work on the farm.
Speaker 4: It was pleasant to pause at midday to eat the lunth the dead had prepared and brought to me. We'd sit there on the cliff while I ate, and we'd watch the birds, and many of them that, yes, were the autumns better than spring for watching them. Oh oh, well, in the spring they're content, they're full of purposely, know where they're going, there's no delay. But then an autumn it's different. The birds that don't, my grate, seem to follow the pattern of their own. Captain humm, great flocks of them here on the peninsula, restless, uneasy, wheeling, circling, coming to rest and flying again. The land birds and the girls down there in the bay, a strange sort of rhythm in their movements.
Speaker 5: They don't really go anywhere. Doesn't seem to be any purpose to it.
Speaker 4: No, well, if there is, we don't see it. They're restlessness, and they're more restlessness year than usual, seems to me. You know, this morning two girls flew so closely knocked off.
Speaker 6: My captain said, yesterday when the school bus letter off, there was quite a few of them overhead.
Speaker 5: As if they'd been followed.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I suppose it means a hard winter. They always seem to know. Perhaps a message comes to them in autumn, a warning about winter and about death.
Speaker 2: Nat.
Speaker 4: Many of them will die, and I think they know it. Perhaps they feel they have to spill their motion out before they die, like people who know their time is up and run about stupidly driving themselves.
Speaker 5: We shouldn't talk like that, Nat, That that black side of you that stayed up the trouble between us before.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Debby, but it's come over me lately as I've watched them, the land birds mingling with the sea birds in a sort of strange, unnatural partnership. Land and See Life and Death. At night, it turned colder and the wind strengthened. Around two in the morning, the sound of it beating against the house woke me up. I lay there with this slow, even breathing of Debby beside me, and I thought of Jill and Johnny in the room across the hall. We seemed safe, secure, And then I heard it tapping.
Speaker 2: On the window.
Speaker 4: First I thought it was a loose shutterer, and then I realized it wasn't. I got out of bed into the window opened it. Suddenly something brushed against my hand and jamped my knuckles, and I'm gone over the roof and behind the cottage. Hm M, yes, what's it? Uh, it's alright, Debby. It was a bird. I don't know what kind burden.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 4: Wind must have driven it against the window sill. And my hand's wet. It's blood. M. Little beggar drew blood.
Speaker 5: Good to sleep n H.
Speaker 2: Must have been frightened and stabbed at me in the dark. If the mad.
Speaker 5: The window seems you, it distract me.
Speaker 2: I've already seen you. It's some bird trying to get in. M.
Speaker 5: Send them away. I can't sleep with that noise.
Speaker 2: H ll ugh with you. But why little straight with my face out got away? Did you see that?
Speaker 4: There were half a dozen this time they went for me, tried to peck my eyes.
Speaker 2: I'm not making it up there.
Speaker 5: It's jill. Don't see what's the matter?
Speaker 2: Right comming jail? Keep flying? Where's Johnny?
Speaker 5: Quick?
Speaker 2: Get the children out of here? And get the children out of here and shut the door quick. I pushed them out of the room, and now I was alone with the birds.
Speaker 4: I seized the blanket and I used as a weapon, sweeping it right and the left, and I.
Speaker 2: Could hear the thud of bodies.
Speaker 4: But they've kept coming after the jumping my hands my head, trying for my eyes with beats as sharp as pointed forks, and I wrapped.
Speaker 2: The blanket around my head, beat apout with my bare hands blindly. I don't know how long I bought them.
Speaker 4: Finally, the beating of wings lessened, and then but still I unwrapped the blanket from my face. The cold, gray dawn had seeped into the room. The floor was littered with the tiny corpses, the birds, robins, finches, sparrows, locks. Some had last feathers in the fight, and the others had blood, my blood on their beaks. Sickened, I went to the window, and the fierce sea broke harshly in the day. But there was not a bird in sight. Not a sparrow chattered in the hedge, No early thrush or blackbird pecked on the grass for worms. There was no sound at all but the east wind and the sea.
Speaker 2: Net Ah, I'm all right, deady.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what look covered with flood.
Speaker 2: Some of it's the birds. Look on the floor. He fifty I counted them horrible.
Speaker 4: Come on, Dannie, I'll clean the room later when I had more stomach for it.
Speaker 5: It must have been ghastly.
Speaker 6: For the children, all right, Yes, I put Joe to work making tea Johnny's narbd just no sleep.
Speaker 2: Not why the bird?
Speaker 4: Well, it must be the weather, the sudden change confused them.
Speaker 2: It has to be that the.
Speaker 5: Tee is ready. Mummy. Oh good? Did you drive away the birds?
Speaker 2: Yes? They're all gone now, do you.
Speaker 5: I hope they won't come again. Perhaps if we put bread runs for them outside the window, they eat that and fly away. I've already had breakfast. I'd better hurry. I'll be late for the school bus.
Speaker 2: Bush. I'll walk with you to the road.
Speaker 5: Joe, Yeah, I think that'd be a good idea. I'll go get my cat book.
Speaker 2: I didn't want it to walk and down.
Speaker 5: That they they wouldn't come back again.
Speaker 4: I'll go over to the farm and find out if they heard anything during the night, if all the windows and doors closed, they'd be just to be on the safe side.
Speaker 2: Hello, anyone about Hello, mister Hock, the mister around, Missus Trigg. Summer's the ball.
Speaker 5: But can you tell me where this call is coming from Russia. I've never seen such a change, and it's going on the wireless, says, something to do with the Arctic Circle.
Speaker 4: We didn't turn on the wireless this morning. The fact is we had trouble in.
Speaker 5: The night, Oh kitties poorly.
Speaker 4: No, no, not exactly. No, we had some trouble with birds. Why it sounds absurd, but they flew in the window and attacked us.
Speaker 5: Attacked you. No, mister Hockins, I'm not making it up.
Speaker 2: Missus Trigg.
Speaker 4: There are a fifty dead head's on the floor of the children's bedroom.
Speaker 5: Foreign birds.
Speaker 2: No, no, the kind you see about here every day.
Speaker 5: Really will you ought to write up and ask the man just to guard you, and they haven't.
Speaker 2: Answer for it. Good morning, Huckins.
Speaker 5: Mister Howkins has been telling a box of birds last night. The pieces the attacked him.
Speaker 2: Attack you? Sure? Quiet? I heard of the thing I did before. Hungry maybe looking for food? You put out some crumbs, Yes, of course, I'll be up tomorrow as usual.
Speaker 4: Good morning, ordinary birds, he says, attacked him.
Speaker 2: Now what did he take us for coming around with a story like that? Strange one?
Speaker 4: He is with our superior airs, You see the look he gave us when he didn't swallow his story attacked him.
Speaker 2: I think he reads too many of those.
Speaker 5: Nat, did you find out anything at a part?
Speaker 4: No, the trigs brilliant advice was to put out some crumbs. Debbie Eye looked all around this morning. There's not a single bird in sight outdoors.
Speaker 5: Where they've gone.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: The Trigs had no trouble last night.
Speaker 2: Not only that they clearly thought I was imagining it. Oh.
Speaker 4: I heard Trig mutter something about my superior airs and reading too many books as I walked away.
Speaker 2: Nothing's real to those clods until it hits them over their head.
Speaker 6: Well, they're nice enough people, ned, it's just that they're isolated up here.
Speaker 2: Well, that's certainly the polite word for it.
Speaker 5: I haven't been able to face going into the children's room. They've birds.
Speaker 4: Oh guess I'll go and clean it up. The least I can do is give the little beggars a decent burial. I dropped the dead birds into a sack and went down to the beach to bury them. The wind was bitter cold. I dug a pit in the sand with my heel and started to empty the sack.
Speaker 2: Into it.
Speaker 4: But the wind caught the birds and whirled them along the shore, and there was something ugly in the sight that the tide would take them when it turned. I looked out at the crested breakers, and then I saw them, the gulls, out there, riding the seas.
Speaker 2: Thousands, tens of thousands.
Speaker 4: They rose and fell in the trough of the sea, like a mighty fleeted anchor, waiting for the turn of the tide.
Speaker 2: Waiting.
Speaker 4: They stretched as far as my eye could reach. They covered the sea. I started up the steep park home, almost running. Someone should know that that someone should be told, But who? And then as I opened the front door, I saw Deddy beside the world.
Speaker 2: It's listening and even attacking individuals.
Speaker 4: It is thought that the Arctic airstream is causing the birds to migrate south in immense numbers, and that intense hunger may drive them to attack human beings. Householders are warned to see to their windows, doors and chimneys, and to take all precautions.
Speaker 2: For the safety of their children.
Speaker 4: Further bulletins will.
Speaker 2: Be issued later.
Speaker 5: They've been repeating it every few minutes since you left.
Speaker 2: Well, perhaps now those empty headed idiots at the farm.
Speaker 5: Will no you s almost gad Oh, don't talk.
Speaker 2: Rock Deby. It's just that when people with half a brain try to tell me.
Speaker 5: That you forget that superior attitude of yours even.
Speaker 2: Now, don't choose that word superior to me. I'm sick of it, so are you.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry these things made me a little nervy.
Speaker 2: I guess yes, I I'm sorry too much.
Speaker 5: One of the bulletins said, the birds seemed to be waiting for what.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: They said, the birds are hungry. What you doing the hammer? I'm gonna get some boards and see to the doors and windows as they tell you to.
Speaker 5: You think they could break in with the windows shut, the sparrows and robins and such, How could they?
Speaker 4: I wasn't thinking about the smaller birds. I was thinking about the gulls.
Speaker 2: The gulls, Debby.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been close enough to get a good look at a gull's beak? There must be one hundred thousand of them out there riding the sea.
Speaker 2: Waiting.
Speaker 4: The rest of the morning, I worked upstairs boarding the bedroom windows, and I wondered whether they'd take these precautions up at the farm. I doubted it. It'd probably a big joke to the Triggs. But according to the wire as it was no joke. At first, some of the bulletins had been light in Tourne, But as the morning wore on, the concern in the announcer's voice.
Speaker 2: Became more and more apparent. Well after I finished upstairs, I took the rest.
Speaker 4: Of the lumber down, boarded up the lower floor windows.
Speaker 5: What they ought to do is call the army out and shoot the birds that would soon scare them off.
Speaker 2: Debbie, Uh, how are we off for food now?
Speaker 6: Net?
Speaker 5: Whatever?
Speaker 4: Next?
Speaker 2: No? Never mind? What have you got in the larder?
Speaker 5: Shutting me tomorrow? You know that I don't keep uncooked food hanging about. It goes off. But I can put some things in tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow. It's only three in the afternoon and it's almost dark.
Speaker 5: What I yes, the sky looked so heavy, Net, what's the matter? You've gone quite quite?
Speaker 2: Look the tides turned, the gulls they've risen, circling over the sea. Not a sun from them. Net. I'm going for Jill. I'll wait for it the bus stop. You keep Johnny inside and keep the door shut.
Speaker 4: Outside. I looked at a weapon and a hole was all I could find, and I went to the top of the hill and waited. The surf was booming below, and a smudge rose behind the clay hills in the distance. It widened, divided and spread north east south west. It was a vast cloud of birds and passed close by, heading inland up country.
Speaker 2: They had no business with the people here on the peninsula.
Speaker 4: Rooks, crows, jack doors, magpies, birds that usually preyed upon the smaller species, But this afternoon they were bound on some other mission. They've been given the towns. I thought, they know what they have to do. We don't matter so much here. The gulls will serve where us the others go to the towns.
Speaker 2: And finally the buss came. When Jill got off, I took it by the hand.
Speaker 4: What's the horse do I daddy?
Speaker 2: Oh? I just bought it along. Come along now, darling, let's go home. It's cold. No hanging about them.
Speaker 5: I want to try it in to day, not to night.
Speaker 2: Now, come on, no, dordling, daddy.
Speaker 5: Look over there, Look at the girls they die in from the sea.
Speaker 4: They're so quiet, Yes, sir, do hurry, darling. Where is it trying to oh, up the country, I dare say, well, where it's warmer.
Speaker 1: Don't go so fast.
Speaker 4: I can't keep up.
Speaker 6: Horry, it goes.
Speaker 5: It is sing.
Speaker 2: You looksychy waiting sumty signal order. Nothing, Come on, you're faster.
Speaker 1: I can't go faster.
Speaker 2: Wait. Wait, there's Trigg in his two seater. Looks as though we're in for some fun hocking. Have you heard the news? Everyone's gone bird crazy, talking of nothing else. I'm going to take a crack at them with my gun. Could you run Jill home first? Ayes, of course, not room for you too, I'm afraid that's all. I just get Jill home, Get in, Julia. Are you like to come shooting with me? No thanks? Have you boarded your windows?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: A lot of nonsense. They like to scare you on the wireless. I'd bought them if I were. You gone, you're winded. We'll see you in the morning. Give you a gull rings.
Speaker 4: I watched Trigg drive Joe toward the cottage, and then I followed on foot. The sound made me look up. The gulls were approaching. The order had been given and the farm was their targets. The black backed gulls were leading and they were bigger birds gannets turns, and suddenly one of them flow up, missed, rose it drive again, and then came the other six, seven, a dozen. I dropped the whole, covered my head with my arms and ran towards the cottage. They kept coming at it from the air with beating wings. Each stab of a swooping big torn a fresh.
Speaker 2: I had to keep them from my eyes. With each diver it came over, and they had no thought for themselves. When they missed, they crashed, bruised and broken.
Speaker 4: On the ground. And as I ran, I stump kicking herself hardies in front of me. Neither aimed at better, closer to my eyes, closer, And then I wished the door of the cottage, and then above me I saw the gannet poised against the sky for his dye.
Speaker 2: The girls drew back only the huge gannet.
Speaker 4: The wings folded suddenly to its body, and it looped like a stone at me.
Speaker 2: The door opened and I flung myself in a canet. He just put my skull. Yes, thanks quite the woundresser. Are the children from the other room.
Speaker 5: I didn't want them to see you that way? Your hands are the worst.
Speaker 2: I'll be all right, we'd better all sleep here in the kitchen tonight.
Speaker 5: Now bring down the mattresses, all fix something tasty for supper and sound What is it?
Speaker 2: The birds crowding against the outside of the house trying to find a way in net don't they can't get in? I tell you they cannot get in. Those boards will hold?
Speaker 6: How long?
Speaker 5: How long?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I turn on the waas I've bound them out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, better, yes, anything so I can't hear that's poverty.
Speaker 2: It's only the food that weires. Mid Debbie.
Speaker 4: Now, I've noticed that the birds come in with the tide. But the tide will go out about nine to night, and we should have a lull of about six hours. I could slip out during that time and go to the farm see if they can give us something.
Speaker 2: Here is lucky.
Speaker 4: A national emergency was proclaimed that four o'cocks this afternoon. Yes, the measures are being taken to safeguard the lives and property of the population, but it must be understood that these are not easy to affect immediately. You the unforeseen and unharve nature of the present crisis. It is absolutely impetitive that everyone remain indoors until further noticed. Birds in vase numbers are attacking everything in sight. The population is asked to remain calm and not to panic. There would be no further transmission from any broadcasting station until seven am tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Which.
Speaker 5: Like this all over then.
Speaker 4: All over there by super Let's let's forget it.
Speaker 2: Let's all just try to get some sleep.
Speaker 5: Wake up?
Speaker 2: What time is it?
Speaker 5: The three?
Speaker 2: The tires coming again.
Speaker 5: There's been a queer smell the last two minutes. Dropperl burned feathers.
Speaker 4: Burn feathers the chimney. I got to be the fire up and coming down the chimney. Where's the oil on the shelf? Got the other just squeezing through the chimneys. Stand back and before the oil on the coals. Never get them, yeah, just get me taper, would anything it will burn? Hurry Their charred bodies get dropping down the chimney. I raped them to one side, but more came. I threw on the rest of the oil. You out, paper's on it, kindling anything. The flames roared higher, more bodies. The stench was unbearable, and I kept at it. Finally they gave up and I went over to the basin.
Speaker 2: I was sick.
Speaker 4: Around nine in the morning, the rustling ceased. I opened the door a crack. Crushed birds were deep about the house, but there was not a living bird in sight.
Speaker 2: The tide had gone out. Now was my chance to get food and fuel.
Speaker 4: I ran all the way to the farm. There was no smoke from the chimney. I came round the corner of the house and stopped in the doorway. Almost covered with dead birds, were mister and Missus Trigg.
Speaker 2: What was left of them.
Speaker 4: Beside him was his gun, beside her a broken umbrella. I loaded the two seater with all the food I could find, enough for perhaps three days, and drove back to the cottage. I told Debby that Triggs didn't need their car for a while, and it told me to take it. She said nothing, and towards nightfall the birds came back again. We sat by the fire and listened to the rustle as they crowded against the house.
Speaker 2: But this time there was a new sound.
Speaker 4: They brought up their heavier forces against us, the birds with larger beaks.
Speaker 2: I could hear the sound of tiny bits of wood being torn away.
Speaker 6: So stay to the tide turns, and then they leave. Then they'll come back again, and they'll keep coming back.
Speaker 5: Naturally. Yes, the trigs, they're dead darkly, Yes, they're all along strange. I keep closer to you than another, better that it should.
Speaker 2: Take something like this to bring it. Debbie, you may be interested to know that right now I do not give these you, beauty dot.
Speaker 5: Oh do you.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Debbie, I do not know. I listened to the sound of the spindling woods, and.
Speaker 4: I wondered how many million years of memory were stored in those little brains behind the stabbing beaks, the piercing eyes, now giving them this instinct to destroy mankind with all the depth precision.
Speaker 2: Of machines, and switched on the whirl as was dead, I reached for the cigarettes. There was only one left in the packet. I lit it. I threw the empty packet on the fire and watched it burn.
Speaker 3: Under the direction of Norman McDonald, Escape has Brought You the Birds by Daphney Dumourier, specially adapted for radio by Robert Wright, starring Ben Wright with Virginia Gregg. Featured in the cast were John Dayner, Ann Morrison and Whitfield and John Dodsworth. You're announcer George Walsh. The special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stephens. If you like your thrills to be real, your adventure to be true to life, Gangbusters is the show for you. Now. Every Monday night, most of these same CBS Radio stations bring you the drama that names, names, places, and dates in the nation's battle against crime. Stay tune now for night Watch, which follows immediately over most of these same stations. Where there's gunsmoke, there's Western adventure.
Speaker 2: Monday nights on the CBS Radio Network, stay tuned for night Watch.
Speaker 7: Herman Hickman isn't the only exciting personality you'll want to hear right here at the Star's Address, of course, where sports are concerned, the famous former football coach at Yale and one time All American player is a natural and he's well worth listening for any Monday through Friday evening at six thirty. But when you're in the mood for musical entertainment, as you're likely to be any Monday through Friday morning at nine thirty, John Edwards is the person to hear the melody she sings or plays each weekday. Morning are a sunny is her disposition and her friendly personality only adds to the pleasure of listening to the Joan Edwards Show Monday morning at nine thirty and every Monday through Friday morning at that time. Remember to tune in on happiness, on our light hearted