Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do, Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of April twenty first, we are continuing with Running Point on Netflix with episode five be shared. How did I do they sure they did say it? In the show?
Speaker 1: It means I'm like ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. We have our time.
Speaker 3: It means like soulmate, basically in yeah, I guess it's in Yiddish because part of the conflict of this episode was Isla apparently didn't remember but told her fiance love that.
Speaker 2: She would convert to Judaism because it was important to.
Speaker 1: His parents, because they needed a topic for this episode exactly because yeah, we've never we've barely even seen this guy before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was on like one or two episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like this is an interesting set him up, knock him down topic for an episode. But okay, whatever, Yeah, y'all are cute, right, but okay, And.
Speaker 2: It turned out that her there was some kind of a what do you call it, a.
Speaker 4: Provision in her father's will that if any of the children convert to a long list of religions that is not Christianity, then they don't get any of their money.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, really really that's in there. I'm like, this is all just this is a particularly contrived situation.
Speaker 2: Contrive.
Speaker 1: I mean everything about it was contrived. The Hey, I've read about this Chinese acrobat who does halftime shows. Why don't we see if we can get her onto this and do this, and yeah, why doesn't everybody fall in a pool. Let's figure out a way them do all fall in the pool, and let's orchestrate it in such a way that everybody will know it's going to happen like ten seconds before it does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she should have known it happened from the moment there was a pool in the frame, you.
Speaker 1: Know, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 4: Extremely clear, you know what the like you said, extremely contrived. What the will thing did was allow Aila to not have to convert, but show Lev that she she was, you know, willing to even if it cost her her all for money, which of course they would be fine because he has plenty of money.
Speaker 1: That's all right. He seemed entirely unconcerned about her not doing it right. It's like, never mind. At the end, it's no tension over it whatsoever. So it was all just a eh, we need something for this episode to be about. What could it be? Okay?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: By the way, I have to mention that Max Greenfield plays her fiance Lev. And last week I mentioned the Amy Poehlar Good Hand podcast, right, and the one for I believe it was the one about Rashida Jones. At the beginning, they had a little she had a little discussion with three other people to see what sort of things she should talk about, and it was Redda and Darcy Cardon and somebody else.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was. I think it was just those two.
Speaker 1: Just those two. Nay, there was Okay, there was some talk of white boys who can move, and the name of Max Greenfield came up, so good on. You man been publicly proclaimed as being good at moving, although we didn't see it in this episode where there could clearly have been dancing. And then the following episode of Good Hand that I listened to is Ike Baronholtz, who is one of the creators of this show, who confirmed that indeed Max Greenfield can move, So I guess it's a thing. Wow, Okay, when are we going to have some dancing, sir? We would like to check this out. You could join the ladies out on the court. Yes, yeah, they have to think. That's as completely random as hey, let's do an episode about converting to Judaism. Not because do any of these people seem to have any faith at all other than the basketball coach. No, I'm like, you know, she's not giving up her faith. She's just going through motions to please her fiance's family. Right, is pretty much what it is. And I don't think she doesn't seem like love is extraordinarily religious either.
Speaker 4: No, And it didn't seem like she she was trying to say that she had, you know, faith that she was giving up. So, yeah, the storyline with the Chinese acrobat halftime show, I did enjoy that jack.
Speaker 1: Is an actual thing, right, that's a thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I heard that.
Speaker 4: I believe it was on Extra Hut great that this person really does perform at halftime shows.
Speaker 1: Right, that's where I heard it. I knew I'd heard it someplace.
Speaker 2: But you know, Jackie, despite being an only child who I think was raised by a single parent, he is familiar with the tactic of if mom says no, go ask dad r and it worked. It worked for him.
Speaker 1: He's watched a lot of.
Speaker 2: It worked quite well for him, except for the dance Lady is mad at him now, but he seemed to like that about her, that she was paying attention to him.
Speaker 1: So we not believe more in TV labor to come. If a woman is mad at you, there will surely soon be romance.
Speaker 2: And he knows that too from watching TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where you learned the mom says no, go ass dad. He's learned that hot chick is mad at you, there will soon be action. So you know, he's just got to wait it out.
Speaker 4: Right, And Sandy finally, you know, his boyfriend has had enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the beginning of the show, when the boyfriend like calls him and says, oh, he's gotten them tickets to wait, wait, don't tell me, just hilarious, I was like, Oh, so they're just gonna like ignore the fact that Sandy was awful to him in the previous episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that they were fighting. Yeah, but but I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I guess the guy like gave him another chance, but he blew that one as well. So yeah, and of course all the siblings are like, what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean. Of course we wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Cared, you know, like right right, I have a feeling that things are gonna come around. Yeah, since, but still you should he should make him pay because that bad behavior. Yeah, that was you know, the boyfriend should make it pick. Yeah, yeah for sure, but still dogs for everybody. So he could give all his siblings dogs. It is his friend some business, and then everybody would be happier. Everybody would be happier with a dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we could. We could entertain ourselves by determining what kind of dog each person. Each person should have.
Speaker 1: Jackie needs one of those dogs that's constantly jumping on you, going.
Speaker 3: Hi, I feel that ness, and Batuan would have like a very small, very princess.
Speaker 2: E dog, a purse dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eila needs one of those dogs with sort of the long long hair, and they could they could exchange hair extensions and you know, I could see that. Just spent two hours at a dog park the other day, so I have dogs on my My kids were had a practice at the same park where the dog park is, and I thought, you guys, go to your practice, dropped me off at the dog park. I'll sit there with the dog while it was like two hours and he was started to get dark, Like you guys.
Speaker 2: Done dogs getting tired?
Speaker 1: Did you leave without me? There's dog groups and like three different groups of dogs came and went while we were there.
Speaker 2: It was just like, what's what's happening?
Speaker 1: They were all beautiful and wonderful anyway, So dogs, that's what this show needs is more dogs. So from a parenting point of view, what else do we have? Dad trying to manipulate you from beyond the ground was kind of unfortunate and uh and not in the way that like, I mean, there could he could have added provisions that you know, improved their relationship or there. Yes, no, yes, he wouldn't have thought of that, oh dear. And the coach who seems to have it together pretty well described himself as just having had a child hand off in a Chipotle park sparely. Family is difficult, but.
Speaker 4: He does seem to be at him and that other player, Marcus are the source of wisdom.
Speaker 1: Right right, Definitely, when they were thinking of words to describe Sandy and said homeowner and he was upset that was it. I'm thinking, man, I have seen your house. I think you should take some pride. I think that is actually that is a word that would sell you right, space, that would sell you.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 1: And describing the siblings as violent, dysfunctional heathens who can't help but make a mess in public. A lot of families that would fly under that bandit, yes, exactly. But yeah, religion in families is in some cases just for show, which is seems to be the case with the Gordon's. Yeah you know, you got to have the Santa, but there's no particular belief attached to it, right, and they certainly seem to be putting down the pedal on cultural Jewishness rather than actual you know faith. There either.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, when the only argument that the family has is like what about Santa, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And it makes me think, I mean, I think my kids would identify that we spent a lot of time in church and that going to church was a thing, and we say prayers every night before bed, and you know that it was I don't know if it's as important to them as it is to me, but that mom made sure we we did things, and you know that other people did things too, So but I don't know how much that is anymore either way, really, either the going through the motions or the actual doing things become less and less of a family defining quality I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I guess it's just another thing that depends a lot on the family. Well and and you know, NASA's big argument was about Santa.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and then at the end of the show, Ila agreed to raise any children Jewish. Yeah, so like, okay, are.
Speaker 1: You gonna which was important to him because his mother would give him a hard time other worse. Right, So it's like he's the one asking for this theoretically, but but it doesn't really matter to him either, yeah, because of it, So yeah, it's just kind of a It sounds like she just kind of said she would and it's not like something that he said, Hey, we need to discuss this is to me, how are we going to handle this? It's just eh, yeah, which is I mean? Which is good because I really did not want to see this show get weighed down in them breaking up because she wouldn't converge. But on the other hand, why bring it up at all? Then? Yeah, surely there could have been some other dispute for a humorous, possible bump in their relationship, right, that's not something that to some people is still meaningful. Yeah, yeah, you guys, it's not just a sitcom silliness. But clearly it does not seem like they want to be in the business of breaking her and leve up, which I'm happy, yes, exactly. Can't we just be having a fun? In fact, I would like Sandy to get back together with his guy and just let's everybody just be happy and.
Speaker 2: Then Jackie can get with it.
Speaker 1: Silly gets his answer and everybody will have the fact that they picked one dancer out to go confront him means she's going to be in it more. Her agent is very happy, but oh well, well, at least they're not stranded on an islands, right, so there's hope.
Speaker 2: Well, next Wednesday we will continue with season one, episode six. It's called the Yips. Thank you dear, something I can pronounce, we will.
Speaker 1: And we know what that is.
Speaker 2: Yes, see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout.
Speaker 1: Round Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at amazon Com slash shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years. M