Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Now, here's Nick coffee. We've got some breaking news here to get the four o'clock hours started. I mean, I think the news actually broke, you know, before four o'clock, but I'm just now seeing it, so I'll share with you guys. So if I'm late, you know, I apologize. But I think it's worth mentioning because conference relignment is is is weird, and it moves the needle people who have no like there's no there's nothing with the PAC twelve Mountain West American. Like that's what's happening. Now. There's leagues in fear that the new PAC twelve is going to poach their members, but like, think about how many fans do not have anything to do with that where their program won't be impacted. But like it's I don't know, it's like a game of musical chairs. But this is I mean again, I think this is a surprise, but also now that I give it some thought, I'm not that surprised. So the let me just make sure I've got it right here. So the PAC twelve they have and I hate even calling at the PAC twelve because it's not that like by a technicality, from like a legal standpoint, I think they're able to say that, but like they're not. They were the leftovers and now they're just trying to honestly what they're trying to do, and it's just the facts. I can't really say I blame them, because it's all about survival. You got to look out for yourself. But but Washington State and Oregon State, they spent over a year claiming that they were basically the victims of big business in college sports, just to turn around and build a league that does the exact same thing and go out and try to poach other members of lower leagues and that would probably you know, ruin them. I mean, they're doing the exact same thing that they were, you know, and they were victims and they cried about it. So again I'm not really sure, like most wouldn't do the same thing. But I don't know, like they should have just realized what happened, realized who they were, and just said, okay, yeah, well joined the Mountain West and like and and and nobody would have had it or not, like nobody would have They're not relevant enough for people to make fun of, Like, damn, look at y'all on the Mountain West now, like because again, quite literally, let's go back ten years ago. If you would have said the Power five in ten years will be the Power four. And here's how it's gonna move around. You tell me which two schools you think are gonna be left out. There's no doubt these two schools would have been in the in the mix.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they you would have guessed them, maybe somebody would. But again, like if you're Vandy, you're a You're in a great league, and everybody need you need a punching bag. The Vandy punching bag is going to be needed in the SEC for a long time. So anyways, Washington State and Oregon State are trying to you know, and I and I say them because they're the only two teams there. They did, in fact, get what was it, four Mountain West teams to join them, Boise Fresno, which, by the way, neither of those are states, but Boise State and Fresno State, uh Co, Diego State, the other Norned state, and the Colorado State. So you know, that's a start, but that's clearly a punch to the gut to the Mountain West, There's no doubt about that. Well, Memphis two Lane in South Florida have all declined offers to join the PAC twelve and are going to remain in the AAC. So the PAC twelve is now going to be looking for other schools that are a little bit more within their geographic footprint. I suppose like UNLV utass State, Air Force, Gonzaga for basketball only, you know, and I think Memphis two Lane in South Florida. My guess here is that the reason they decline this is because they realize it's not that big of a difference for us, right, Like your neighborhood might be a little nicer. Gary Parrish does radio in Memphis and also covers college basketball. I heard him talking about this earlier today, and he's right. The PAC twelve would be a better neighborhood. You'll feel a little better about where you reside. Your neighbors are a little bit more superior than the bulk of what is in the American Athletic Conference. Right, However, it's not that big of a difference. And think about the travel you'd have to I mean, like it's just not worth it. You know, it would be like a very sad and desperate attempt to claim that you are in fact a power level school when in reality, no matter who ends up in this PAC twelve, they're not gonna like it's power four. Now it just is, and it's split up in two. There's two that are much more superior from a financial standpoint, and that's the Big Ten in the SEC, and then there's the ACC, who I think is now firmly in third, and then we'll see, you know, I think that's the real question in the future, is that who's gonna consistently fight for that third spot. I mean, we know who's gonna fight for, but who's gonna get it? Is it gonna be the Big ten or the Big twelve or the ACC. So I don't think anybody would have expected the American to retain schools that had an option to go to a PAC twelve who used to be a power league. But like I think it's just people using their brains and realizing, Yeah, USC in Washington and UCLA in Oregon, they're having insane travel Now Texas is having much different travel arrangements because they're in the SEC, right like we all but they also can handle that much better than you would ever be able to. Like Memphis two Lane in South Florida, they don't have the ability to. I mean, it's it's quite literally the best example I can give you right now of like, yeah, this is college, this is pro sports on steroids, Texas, Oregon that stuff, whereas yeah, there's nil players are getting paid at places like TWU Lane and Memphis, but like they don't have the resources to be able to just say yeah, let's do it and we'll worry about the finances later. Like they probably crunched some numbers and said, we don't even know for sure what the TV deal would look like in the Mountain West, we can't afford this. So I'm actually happy that they're staying in the American I don't really care, but like I think Washington State and Oregon State felt superior, like we'll go get anybody we want that's not in the acc SEC Big ten or Big twelve, and that's clearly not not gonna You can't do that because again, you know it's mean. But here's the here's the facts. You got left out for a reason. No, nobody, you were never a school that the other four probably even considered a little bit when it comes to expansion, just because you're who you are. All right, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Monday afternoon, Nick Coffee, that's me the company man, mister John all on the long side as we take you up till six o'clock. If you want to join us on the show, you can FABO two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to giveus a call. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line FABO two sixty five three zero seven ninety Members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. All right, so question came in earlier on the text line. What I would say our biggest weakness is right now for Louisville football after three games. It's tough to say, but I will say this, quarterbacks have been able to run on us and Jeff talked about that today at the press conference. Just that they want to do a better job at keeping quarterbacks for being able to do that. Obviously, Jacksonville State's quarterback had a heck of a day. And then Haines King, who I think is a good player, Look again, he had I mean, he was a thread on the ground last year against some really good teams. So sometimes guys are just gonna make plays, and Haines King did that on Saturday. But again, I mean, fifty eight yards for a quarterback not ideal, but you know it wasn't as it wasn't. It wasn't to the point where like he was gashing you and you had no answer. So I worry about that a little bit. And defensively, I mean, Louisville made good plays, made big plays when it mattered, right, some fourth down stops. I mean Georgia Tech was three of five on fourth down. Louisville was one of one on fourth down. Georgia Tech was four or fifteen on third down. I mean that's I don't like that you gave up four hundred and ten yards total, but you know, overall, like the defense did a good enough job. You held Georgia Tech ten nineteen points. So I can't sider and say that the defense is like an issue or a concern. But maybe The reason that I'm spinning my wheels here is because maybe I'm expecting them to be perfect, which I don't know why I would do that. They were really good last year and they've been pretty good this year, all things considered. But you know, just because a big play. And I'm talking to myself here, so Nick, chill out, just because a big play breaks loose every now, and it doesn't mean your defense has issues. But I just think visually it looks like they don't have guys lined up where they need to be at times. It looks like at times there's some confusion. Now they're playing hard again, they're getting big stops when it matters. But I don't know. I don't think Louisville's defense when they do have big plays that you know, big plays that happen against this defense, where you don't feel like it was just a dude making a play. You feel like it was a mistake on your part. Nobody's perfect, But I don't think Louisville has a personnel problem defensively. I think they've got really good depth upfront. I think they really like what they have in the secondary. I mean, I think it's quite clear you're you know stan Kuon Clark is is I think living up to what a lot of people expected when it when you know, when you look at him being a guy to kind of emerge as a as a as a consistent you know, all acc type performer. And some of the transfers that have come in have been good, I mean Nicholson McDonald. So you know, long winded response there, but like, yeah, I would say quarterbacks are getting loose on us has been something that has concerned me, especially when you know you're going to play some good quarterbacks moving forward. But I think I'm nitpicking a little bit to like say the defense has been underwhelming, because again, you know they haven't. And here's what's also weird that like just frustrates me that you know nothing you can do about it. That was really your flight right now? Is it? Is it safe to say that we really only have one game to take data from because whatever happened, even though it was impressive, it doesn't matter what you did against Jacksonville State and Austin p I mean, those numbers don't have I mean again they count when you go look at your averages and your stay like they're there. But we really right now as of September twenty third, I think really only have one real game to take stuff from. And you know, I don't think Louisville was clean against Georgia Tech, but I think Georgia Tech has been known under Brent Key to be able to do that. They they had it hectic for Georgia. George only beat him by score last year when they played. You know, there's a reason brin Key has been able to muddy it up and win games where he's supposed to be the loser. Right, He's got a great record. Again, there's not many teams. In fact, I'll pull it up here and again this I don't want to gasp Brint Key up too much because you know, it's not like he's about to become the next Nick Saban, although he did work for Nick Saban. But you know, going into that game, he had a track record of not only being able to keep it closer than what the game actually was, but also when outright. I mean again, if you look at yeah right here, let me make sure I've got yeah. So brin Key. He's now thirteen and four against the spread with ten outright wins as an underdog. He was thirteen and three going into that game, So you know, beating them the way you did is kind of how a lot of teams are gonna probably beat them, and even really good teams at times. Again, Georgia did it last year, and I don't I know, we keep I keep bringing up last year's Georgia Tech team, but they are a rare team where what made them have any level of like hype going into this season was because of what they brought back. Usually it's guys in the portal. They brought back three players last year offensively that really got better as the year went on. So again, one thing I want to say real quick before we move on from the Georgia Tech thing, when they gave Brent Key that time out. And by the way, thank you to somebody on the text line who sent in a screenshot from their TV, like a picture of and I guess it's not a screenshow, but it's a picture of their TV. They paused it. You are so you hear this during the during the NFL games and do college college games they have rules analysts they do, don't they? Yes? Yeah, I don't know why, but I feel like they're not as not as utilized because Honestly, they're not necessary. Doesn't matter, like they don't bother me, But there's such a waste of time because they don't. I mean a lot of these most of the time we have eyeballs. Therefore, like we can see it. We don't need you to ask Mike Pereira what happened we were watching? We know, yeah, ball came out. Now, they are valuable when they bring up things like very specific rules that maybe people don't know about because of a unique situation within a play. And that's this I've heard these guys say. It's not about when you signaled for it, it's about when the time out was actually granted to you. And he got his time out granted to him after the play had already started. The snap went over his head. I mean, and you know that's that's incompetence from an official that could have cost you a game. I mean, I know, rep's make mistake every game, but like that got me so hot. But I'm now seeing this picture that you sent in on the text line, and yeah, it's even worse than I realized as far as when he actually even it's one thing for him to be granted, but he didn't even signal for the time out until he clearly knew that that it was a disaster, and he did have that crab beaten grin look on his face. After the fact, he's pretty stoked. Like he doesn't change his expressions much, but I could just tell by looking at him he knew he got away with something there. Like most, he felt lucky that he was granted that time out, So the hell with those refs? Can I tell you something that I'm thinking? Speaking of refs, John, we were at my son's football game on Saturday and it was a heartbreaker. He lost in overtime and he cried his little eyes out at four years old, and it was so sweet, but also it broke my heart. But it was also a cool moment because, like I was the I had to carry him down to the down to midfield so he could get in line and shake hands with the other team, which he did. He was, you know, he just sad. He was he had his first loss, and he didn't know what that felt like. He didn't know what that was, and he was like, wait a second, we didn't win because the team played so good. I was so proud of those kids, man, and I was into it. I was running up and down the sideline, not like on the grass, but like by the because we got a little we got a little running back on our team that he's I mean, he's got some wheels on him. He had a couple of big time runs. So shout out to Joey and Maverick who played great for us and helped us, you know, potentially get another victory, but we lost in overtime. It's a great game overall. But my buddy who is one of the coaches, his son's on the team as well, Coach Steve. He's kind of like our sideline GM where he'll he'll be the one to get on the revs. He'll be because you've got to keep these kids organized, right Like we're in overtime about to you know, try to get a stop here to end the game. We got a kid that's got to come out because he refuses to put his mouthpiece in, and you know, it's crunch time. John and the kids like, yeah, no, I'm not going to put it in, and you're not allowed to play if you have. So like we got we got parents, coaches running on the field holding a kid to get him out there in time and then picking up the kid that won't put his mouthpiece in to run off, and we're all like, yeah, it's just I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like we all are sounds wild watch little kid football, but that sounds nuts.
Speaker 2: I would be a liar if I told you that, like it was entertaining, but like when you have a it is wild experience because the only people that would be interested is like watching their kids play. And at times I say it's not really football. But I will say this, I hate the rules of flag football. I think sometimes they're actually very counterproductive to teaching kids how to play football. But then again, like you can't really play football they're four, But you know now they're getting better, right like anything in life, repetition practice. You know, none of these kids have played football before they're four and five years old, right, so now that we're practicing, we're getting better, we're playing hard. So I'm no longer gonna say because one of the parents took issue with me saying this it's not really football, Well you're right, because now they're playing football, flag football that is, and they're getting better and it's awesome. But the reason now brought up the whole sideline thing was that my buddy Steve, who's one of the coaches, you know, I told him because I'm the guy that yells like, tell that ref that he tackled him and they didn't call it start the clock, Like I like, that's me, Like I'm not a coach, but like I'm coaching from the sideline, but not like coaching my coaching staff. Like I'm just you know, I'm I'm not becoming that parent. And I told my buddy Steve. I was like, hey, make sure you get in the ear work those zebras talking about the officials. And my wife had never heard that referees can be referred to as zebras, and she thought it was so funny and laughed. And I didn't have the heart to like be like, yeah, I'm that funny, I'm that clever. And then I told her, like, you realize that's like a thing, right, She was like what, I've never heard that before. And I was like I could have been like, yeah, I just made it up. I'm not funny. That's why that's why I work in the entertainment business. Connie. It's you know, you married, But you know, it got me thinking like there may be some other references within sports that like are out there. They're like, oh you know, they're they're played out, Like you know, it's not funny to anybody. It still gets referenced, but like she may hear for the first time and just think, man, Nick, you're so funny. So I love you so much, So I don't know, maybe I'll start thinking away to look, when you've been married this long, you always got to stay creative in ways to enter, you know, to to impress your significant other.
Speaker 1: And if I can, she also think that if kids didn't make weight, they got kicked off.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. Like I couldn't control my laughter when she told me that, and she was so relieved that she was wrong. But then she started realizing, hey, can you not like talk about that to people? And I'm like, oh sure, honey, And then you know, I've talked about it many times on this show. I mean, that's just you married into content, baby, That's just that's life. That that's the life you chose, you know what you signed up for. But yes, so for those who don't know, little league football at every level, like to be a ball carrier, you have to wait, you have to make weight, you got it you can't be too heavy, and if you're heavy, they put x'es on your helmet and just I think this makes sense. What do you think, John, there's no limit for flag football because you're not being tackled, but they still go through the process of the way and thing. That way, kids can get more like they know that it's coming when they get older. They're not self conscious if they do, in fact get old like, they're gonna know, hey, I'm probably not gonna be a ball carrier. Like usually at every level of litle league football, I would say, you've got a small group of kids that you do have to kind of monitor are they going to be born line or not. Most of the kids, you know, there's no way they're going to be too heavy. And there's some kids you know there's no way they're going to be light enough. But we were in DestinE when they did the weigh ends for our for our organization overdoll chief shout out to the chiefs that we were in DestinE and and you know, there were a certain amount of kids on our older team that didn't make weight to carry the ball. And these are these are kids that are six and seven, and my wife thought that like if you didn't make weight, you couldn't like you couldn't play, Like they just basically would tell your parents, yeah, you got a fat ass kid. Maybe you could get him on a diet bring him back next year. Like I asked her, like, do you think they She was like, she's like, that's so sad. And I'm like, well, honey, I'm sure a lot of these kids know like, hey, I'm a lineman, I know where I am. I'm going to push people around. And she was like, but now they don't get to play. And I'm like, wait, what you think that they just tell them they can't play? And she was like yeah, And I'm like, oh my god, honey. But she was so happy to know that these kids weren't called fat asses and sent home. They got to play. But yeah, I love talking sports with my wife, not too because, like I'm telling you, she's because she knows sports, like she's I mean, she's she was screaming in the game like she knows. I don't want to make her out to be somebody who she watches sports, but like there's Little League stuff that she'd never know, right, Like she you know, she's probably not been around a lot of people in her social life that are screaming stuff at the referees and calling him zebra, So it makes sense that she'd never heard that. But yeah, I mean what I really really thought was so sweet was many many years ago. This is like right after we got married, when she started really getting into watching U of L Games. I think it was one of the Charlie Strong teams. You know, she kept her first, she kept saying friend, and I'm like, yeah, I guess they're friends. And then like she kept doing it and I'm like, are you talking about his teammates. You're like, yeah, his friend, he's friends, wide open. I'm like, they may not, like, honey, like, that's not you know, I didn't have the heart to tell her, don't call them that, because maybe she's right they are friends. Right, technically, she's not wrong. I mean, you would assume guys on the same team are friends at least out there when they're playing and competing, because you know, you want to win. You got to be on the same page. Anyways, shout out to my wife, all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. I don't want to let you hear when we return. Jeff Brohm. He was asked about the recruitment process when he played many many moons ago because he was recruited by Notre Dame and it just hit me in the fields. It reminded me that, you know, Brian, Jeff, even my man g Big Greg, like they picked Louisville when it wasn't the cool thing to do right. They were hometown you know, heroes, but like you know, Brian could have gone to Notre Dame or Tennessee whenever they were like, you know, Tennessee. So anyways, we'll let you guys hear that and keep this thing rolling along. We will get into the NFL as well. I mean, I'm just gonna tell you straight up, I'm never betting on the NFL again, Never gonna do it. And who the hell's good? Have we ever been three weeks in without any clarity as far as who's good and who's not? Stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. But halfway through here on a Monday, if you are gonna be out and about, maybe you're not listening to us on the IHET radio app. Maybe you're in your vehicle. Just no, you could take us with you wherever you go. By listening live on the iHeart radio app and at seven ninety Louisville dot Com, somebody on the text line mentioned that their their kid just graduated high school last year and hearing me talk about my son playing football at four and five years old, is is you know, making them miss those days? And I'm sure I'll miss him whenever, you know, whenever they're not whenever he gets older. So yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna live in the moment and enjoy it. That's what we're doing. It's fun. I didn't know what to expect. I don't think you really know what to expect with a lot of stuff whenever you know you're doing things for the first time as a parent, like getting your kids involved in sports. But it's been it's been a lot of fun. I love this team so much. Like I mean, I don't know the kids. Any couple of them I know, but a lot of them I just know them because they're on my son's team and I see him at practice every day and whatnot. And I'm I was so proud of them on Saturday for playing hard and in a weird way. Maybe this makes me sound like a sick and twisted human being, but like I wasn't happy to see it. It made me sad, but to see the emotion they had knowing they lost, like again, that's like again, yes, that sound like such an a hole. Like that was good. It was a good thing. It wasn't but like I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's inevitable. Yeah, it means they care to get that age, Like it's sense. I mean maybe it's early, but it's you know, it's a cool experience.
Speaker 2: And like instincts kick in. Like you know, I'm sure if my son chooses to play sports as he gets older, and you know, his team loses when he's in high school or something, in basketball or football or whatever, like I would hope that he's not crime. Maybe he is, but like you know, I'm gonna be there to try to help him, you know. And I had to do that for the first time on Saturday, and you know, it wasn't like it wasn't it wasn't fun, but you know, I was happy to be there. That's why I like, you know, if that would have happened and it worked out to where, like I couldn't be there because of a Louisville game like I would have I would have felt like the worst person in the world, which I wouldn't have been. Like some people can't go to their kids games because they have priorities, they've got jobs, they've got they got to look out for the family's livelihood. But it's been a lot of fun watching them, that's for sure, in his first year playing. All Right, let's go to the phone line. Five two, five' seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. Let's go to Allison. Allison, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good, Nick, How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Great? Great to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nick, you can't be a blessed thing.
Speaker 2: And ah, it's true, not possible, right I Yeah, that's yeah. Blessed Nana makes it to where like even if I wanted to be in Ahole, I don't think it'd be possible. I think you're right, Alison.
Speaker 3: And Saturday was pretty hot out there, so kudos to your wife. I know mine stuck it out too, and I was appreciating every second of it. But talking about your story earlier, I had two guys behind me with her wife, and the wife she said, oh, on the goodness, what is that they're throwing all out on the field, And the husband just put his head down and he said, honey, those are penalty flacks. And I thought, boy, we are doing good here then. So that that was a great moment that I had on Saturday that.
Speaker 2: Probably made you feel as if you got an expert on your hands compared to some people who have no clue how any of this works right.
Speaker 3: And another thing, I kind of have a question, and maybe John having another fan base too on this, why do opposing teams. I see a lot of Kentucky fans come to home Louisville games the same times that their teams are playing. And maybe this isn't done across the country, but I mean I had quite a few Kentucky cars with license plates that they got out and playing close and just walked into the UFL game, And I think, and your team is playing right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially when it's that hot, it's not convenient to be outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm like, my buddy is a diehard k game a fan and he lives close and like he went to the game and I'm like, why your team's playing. So I was just curious, you know, if you've seen it before or it happens to other places. I'm just curious because I would never catch myself going to another game when my team was playing.
Speaker 2: So I hang up, thank you, Allison. So that's a good question when it comes to real quick before on the in there are. Sports has been the part of my life forever as long as I can remember, Like whenever I was a kid, like it was all I did was basketball, and then you know, when I worked a real job for a while, it was it was my hobby, my passion. You know. When I wasn't working, I was trying to, you know, find a way to create a career for myself with something in sports. And now now I'm fortunate that that's the case. So when you're in your own bubble, you know, you like when I hear that people don't watch football on Saturdays and they don't watch the NFL, and the hell's what's wrong with you? But everybody's different, like I. So I say that to defend people who do, in fact, you know, at times say things and really show that they have they have zero knowledge about even the most basic level stuff when it comes to sports, and it sounds ridiculous to us, and I think it is. But you know, everybody's got their own interests, their own hobbies, so you know, I can't relate, but you know, everybody's different. So back to your question about fans from other teams showing up to games, I can't. First of all, if you live in Louisville and you are a Kentucky fan and you have like a significant other, you have family, you have you know, somebody that is close to you that is a fan, and they want you to go, like that's fine. Like again, you can do whatever you want, Like you can go and you can buy season tickets to Louisville football games and be a Kentucky fan if you want. I don't know why you do that, but again, do what you want to do. But that at least makes it make sense. And I have a lot of like again, my I have like my my my mom die heard Louisville fan. I mean, she's one of the reasons why I'm a big Louisll fan. My stepdad diehard Kentucky fan, he's one of I think he clearly wants to see Kentucky beat Louisville's brains at any time they play. But like I do know because I've known him a long time, He's not somebody that is just thinking about, oh man, I can't wait to watch those cards play so they lose, And I think he would go to a game and not really care about what happens, or maybe find himself cheering for Louisville. But he's a rare exception. But like, again, imagine being married to somebody and you know they want to go watch their team play twice in a twelve game season, and both times your team is playing, and you're like, uh, sorry, honey, you can't go. If you're gonna go, you better go with somebody else because I'm gonna be home watching my team. Like I mean, that may sound like a terrible thing to do as a husband, Like I probably do the same thing, but that's why i'd never married. No house divided with me.
Speaker 1: Like I've denied going to UK games because I'm an Indiana fan and i have no reason to want to be at a UK game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so let me ask you this though, like is it because you're just like I'll never walk foot in that place or it's just like that's not something at all I want to do.
Speaker 1: So I feel like people like the five of friend laws right in laws and then friends who lived in Washington. I'm like, Hey, you want to come out and hang out and go to the UK game. I'm like, I mean, yeah, maybe I'll come hang out, but I'm not going to sit there and cheer for Kentucky. I just want to let you know.
Speaker 2: That I can't imagine just randomly making plans to go to a Kentucky game. But I also can even say that there's ever been like a convenience thing of it because I'm not in Lexton. I live in Louisville. I did go to a Kentucky game. I don't really remember it when my when my friends went to school there, we tailgated and they had an extra ticket back in like two thousand and seven, maybe six, maybe two thousand and eight, and I ended up making it in for like a half and it was, you know, it was I was. I got really hammered at the tailgate and don't really remember a lot about it. But like, I didn't go in wearing Mississippi state gear or Kentucky gear. I don't remember what I Again, I don't remember much about it. Probably shouldn't, you know. I'm not bragging about that, but like just being honest with you. So again, I if you go to a if you go to a Louisville game wearing UK stuff while Kentucky is playing at the same time, I can't really think of any scenario where that would that would be not weird, you know what I mean? Like, maybe it is in fact that, hey, I lost a bet to my buddy and I told him i'd go or something. I don't know, something like that. So I'm sure there are some legitimate reasons. If you talk to somebody, they would tell you like, well, funny you asked, here's how I ended up here while my team's playing and I'm watching Louisville in one of their seats. Like maybe they are crazy stories and you can do whatever you want to do. The more people there, that's good for Louisville, I suppose, But yeah, I just can't. I can't. I can't relate. I don't really get why people do that. And the biggest reason, I guess, the biggest factor is that there are a ton, and I mean a ton of Kentucky fans that live in Louisville, So if you saw them there on Saturday, one odd that they would choose to come to this game when like, I feel like you're a dedicated fan if you're there in that heat, because it was brutal, But Kentucky was playing a little bit earlier, and they were playing a team that you know, the game was over pretty early because they were killing them. So maybe that's maybe that's how that ended up happening. But it's look, I've seen it. I mean, we've never done a vibe check at any Louisville game that did not have Kentucky fans there wearing Kentucky gear, like you know, so Alison, I'm sure, like you know if you are Actually I don't know, John, not that you go to like all the Indiana games, but like, would it be crazy to see a guy wearing Purdue gear at an IU game when I use playing you know, Tulane.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I've not been to nearly as many Indiana games in person. It's because it's, you know, a lot farther away than where I live from.
Speaker 2: But I feel like that would be unusual. But I don't know, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To think it's definitely a lot more unusual because obviously Indiana is the bigger school in the state of Indiana, whereas here in Louisville, Kentucky still reigns supreme in the state, so it's a lot easier to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's Tucky fans. And that's what I'm saying, Like, you know, like nobody wants to hear this, and I'm not, like, trust me, this isn't like I'm trying to dunk on anybody. It's just a fact that I hear people try to ignore, and that is that there are a lot of Kentucky fans that live here. I don't know if we'll ever find out the true divide of how many, but like I'm well aware this city has a lot of Kentucky fans, which is why I like I would this just from what I've experienced whenever I have interviewed, because they're because they're the first people I want to talk to vibe check right, like what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And usually they'll have fun with it. And nobody's ever been like nasty towards me. However, you know, just from the brief interaction that I have, I get the sense that they're not even really that, like they're just like they're just trying to be silly and they're not really a diehard, like they're just there because of the social aspect. And oh, by the way, oh yeah, I'm gonna wear Kentucky because actually that's my team. If I could ask, you know what I mean, like, because if you were really a diehard Kentucky fan, you would be watching Kentucky and not being at a Louisville game.
Speaker 1: I'll say this whenever I was a kid, and so maybe this isn't the exact same thing because I was a lot younger than adults who do this. But whenever I would get dragged too, And I hate saying using the term drag. That's kind of what it was, just because I didn't want to be at U of L games, but my family was U of L fans. If I would go to those games, but i'd rather be watching Indiana, i'd wear my Indiana stuff. Now, again, it's probably weird even though I was a child, I guess, but it's weird. There's something about I guess, just I don't know, wanting to have your colors on. Yeah, you're in the you know, maybe enemy territory even though you're not playing against that team's spect time.
Speaker 2: Hey, look, I don't want to make this just about but the Kentucky fan base as huge as it is, as I mentioned, there's a lot of them that do live here in Louisville. And if you've been listening to talk radio on this station for you know, as long as it's been around Job Denny the Underdogs when they first started with Tony and Adam, I'd bet more than half of the callers. Well, let you know ahead of time, I'm a Kentucky fan. So like if they go to a game, you damn right there where in their blue, doesn't matter who's playing, because that's their team, right like that, That's just kind of how they are. So I would say just because of that and that behavior, i'd be willing to answer Allison's question, I would say that it's probably not insanely rare that it happens elsewhere in different states with different schools and whatnot, but I would say it's way more like you're gonna have a much better like if you took if you took a bet, all right, I'm going to this game no matter where it is, and I mean it, No matter where it is, am I going to see at least one Kentucky fan wearing Kentucky blue at a Louisville game? You know, maybe you do end up getting the rare situation where you show up and there's not one, but odds are going to be in your favor that you're gonna see one. So I mean, if I was a UK like, I'll put it this way. If you are a again, you can do what you want. I'm not trying to tell Kentucky fans or any fan what to do. I'm just you know, trying to, I guess, relate and understand it as best as possible. If you go to a Louisville game and they're not playing Kentucky and you wear your your UK gear, that doesn't mean people should harass you. It doesn't mean people should, like, you know, be awful to you, because nobody should be awful to anybody under really any circumstance unless you know they're responding to something. But you cannot play victim if you get ragged, you know what I mean, Like you can't play like, you can't act like that's normal, you know what I mean. It's not a crime, But like, dude, don't go to a Kentucky Louisvill game. We're in UK stuff and be like, oh there, cause, like that's what you mean, what do you expect?
Speaker 1: Does that ever happen that you feel like? You don't really hear of the Louisville people invading UK games? And again, I know there's not nearly as many of them, but are there people that that happens to?
Speaker 3: You think?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm sure that's happened before. Like I remember years ago Billy Gillespie or maybe it was Tubby. I think it was Billy. They were playing Vandy and Vandy was pretty good, and Vandy beat the breaks off of Kentucky and in the big student section for Vandy and there's you know, obviously their courts set up different, right, there's student section right there in the at mid court because the benches are behind the goals, which is weird. There was the front and center. There was a guy wearing U of L shirt and I remember it was National TV you could see it. And I'm sure it's happened since then elsewhere, but it's just rare because here's the thing, like Kentucky has way more fans than Louisville that doesn't. Like again, like people are afraid to say that it's just true. It doesn't mean that they're they're a better fan base or anything like that. It's just it's just true. So just because of that, it's a it's a rare it's a more rare thing to see from from the Louisville side of it. And like there are fans of Louisville and lex and they text into the show and we've had people calling like you know what's happening. You can move around or maybe you just grew up in Lexton, but you became a Louisville fan. So like they exist, but it's there's not that many compared to how many there are Blue. So yeah, I mean what I was gonna ask if you're a Kentucky fan, and I told you, yeah, if you wear UK blue while Louisville's playing somebody else, like that's just kind of a lame thing to do. I think most Kentucky fans actually agree, but clearly some don't and some go and they you know, I don't know what they're expecting. But I think more than anything, John, it might just be I mean, among many things, I think one of the big things is that they just have to at all times make sure you know who the hell by cheer for. Yeah, Nick love the show, Kentucky fan. But you know, I mean people, most people come up and talk to me, say that. All right, quick break, we'll come back short segments to wrap up the four o'clock hour. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorn's on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right Monday afternoon here, coffee and company wrapping up the four o'clock hour. We got another hour ago, so stick with us, and we got another game week here that we are getting started, a big one Louisville heading up to South Bend to take on the Notre Dame fighting Irish. We had somebody asked this question earlier, and I think you're right. I mean, maybe I'm biased here, but I think even if I was able to be one thousand percent objective, which I think I can, But you know, I'm sure some people say, hell no, cardboy, you you know you got a bird brain Loserville man, Like you know, I get it. I know some people just refused to believe that you could ever, you know, be honest with yourself, even though you have a team. But who would you say is a better matchup in college football this weekend outside of Georgia and Alabama. That's the best game and it's not even close. I mean, in fact, it's like a standalone, like elite matchup. I mean, there's a chance that could be the best matchup of the year, Right, you got number two verse number four.
Speaker 1: I think the only other argument could be number nineteen Illinois ndefeated Illinois, I should say at number nine, Penn State.
Speaker 2: You you're just a Littleville hater, John, I'm just I'm kidding. No, that's that's a good one. I don't buy at Illinois like is anything. But then again, you know they are four.
Speaker 1: I'm buying them to cover. That's seventeen and a half against Penn State.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's gonna end up being the game that a lot of people like if I had to bet it, which nobody cares about my bets, and I'm so sad about how bad I am at it right now that I'm just gonna not talk about it. But to me, that seems like the most obvious thing ever is to take Illinois to cover and keep it competitive against Penn State, who really hasn't done anything yet that impressive despite being three and oh but James Franklin, like I don't trust him, betting against him or betting with him. I just had never been able to get a good read. But yeah, that's a good matchup. That's a top twenty matchup. So you know, I would say Notre Day. I don't know, like maybe some would say that's a better matchup because those are undefeated teams. But you got number fifteen, number sixteen. You know, Louisville, they are now not being tabbed as like one of the best teams in the country. But I think I'm starting to see it now that they're getting the benefit of the doubt because they were really good last year. You know, it fell apart late. But like nobody he's gonna put Louisville in the top fifteen and say how the hell they get here? Right Like, I think they could look at their resume right now and say, yeah, they got one win that's worth talking about, and that one isn't even maybe that impressive, so you know, not that everybody's on the edge of their seat waiting to see where Louisville stands. But trust me, Notre Dame losing is something everybody likes, unless you're a Notre Dame fan, it seems, unless you bet on them or something like that. So you know, it's on Peacocks, so the viewership will be down compared to other games when they're on NBC. But Notre Dame is still a team that like, they get a lot of hate watch, right, especially if they're about to potentially lose. So it's a big matchup and we've got you covered. Our pregame show will start at two thirty right here on Sports Talk seven ninety the Louislle Football Pregame Show, hosted by myself, yours truly, Nick Coffee. It is presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And we'll do the postgame show as soon as it ends. As soon as that clock hits zero, we go live right here on Sports Talk seven ninety for the Louisville Football postgame Show presented by Alex R. White, Lawyer's Suit Distracted Driver dot Com. So we got you covered once again for game day this Saturday, quick break five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety
Speaker 1: M HM