Speaker 1: Will you wait, miss Welcome back to Midnight Viewing Anthologies Attack, where we look at anthologies of every variety and stripe, and sometimes that they're not even anthologies at all. We just decide we're gonna do something, we fucking do it and doing it with me. I'm Father Malone. Everybody with me doing it? Mac from his time in Hell's Kitchen, Mister Antonio Lapour, How are you, Antonio.
Speaker 2: Father Malone? How are you? How very fitting as we're talking about the world's most Catholic superhero here with the Padre.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you and I are both Catholic boys.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Catholic school and everything. I was an altar boy. That's actually one of my attachments to Daredevil growing up was that he was Kathleen. That kind of resonates. There's folks, you gotta understand. There's a certain thing to being raised in a pre guilt thing is so there. And I feel like Frank Miller might be Catholic too, because like his run of comics really embraces that, and Daredevil's guilt is so heavy in those issues. Dude, I'm Daredevil was my jam and I love spide I'm a DC guy. Batman all the way. But in Marvel my favorite character was always Daredevil. Spidey number two then probably the Act, but I read a lot of Daredevil at fourteen, especially, I'd go back and read the old Frank Miller won with the Punisher and stuff. Still the best Punisher is that old Frank Miller one, because it's the only time that Frank the Punisher was really just a bad guy.
Speaker 1: My experience with Daredevil is almost exclusively limited to the Frank Miller run. Yeah in the early eighties and then Electro Assassin. All Right, I was a Frank Miller guy in the early eighties, and I.
Speaker 2: Was one in the mid eighties. I was a little boy and I stumbled across the Dark Knight Returns in the bookstore, and my mom's teen dollars were a Batman comic book and had no idea what was in there, and my mind melted and everything Frank Miller did I was addicted to. If it had a little FM in the corner, I was there.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to mention a striking image from my Elector Assassin that has haunted me since childhood, where Electra has overwhelmed one of these goons lieutenant and she's got him like trusted up and he's naked and she's like riding him. Basically that fucked me up as a kid.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and that's the billson Kevitch stuff. Right, Oh yeah, Bill, let's before we dive into because I because if the minute we get to anything electrom we're start talking about Billson Kevitch and how much I love it.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk Daredevil first. Where do you come from?
Speaker 2: Daredevil came from Marvel Comics in the early sixties by stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Wood. Right. Was it Wallywood? No?
Speaker 1: No, not Wallywood? Was Bill Everett?
Speaker 2: Bill Effett? Thank you? Why did I?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Do you know about the original Daredevil?
Speaker 2: That is that the old Yeah, he's like the red costume with like blue highlights and it's like his whole face is red and he was like a stuntman or something.
Speaker 1: He throws a boomerang, and he's mute because he went mute when his father was killed in front of him, and then he was branded with the with a symbol that looks like a boomerang. Okay, he's from nineteen forty one. He didn't last very long and was slightly apparently an inspiration for the Daredevil that we know in love but.
Speaker 2: Our Daredevel went with Jack Kirby designed that original suit and then Everett drew the comic and the original suit didn't look anything like that. The original suit was yellow and it with that brown thing in the middle, and it looked actually really.
Speaker 1: Good on Chee Hulk oh Man, didn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like, surprisingly, the only thing wrong with the Daredevil costume is they don't have the d's on him.
Speaker 1: Ah. Now you're the second Daredevil fan I've talked to talk to who has made that particular comment. And you know what rewatching the series and the original movie was is that's what we're all gonna be talking about tonight. The lack of the d d Now I'm zero in on, not because I miss it, but because I figure that they're letting fans down in a big way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I miss it. I'm a fan who's kind of let well, it was fine up until the guy made the suit. For once the guy who can see makes the suit, then I feel like that guy would have added branding.
Speaker 1: I don't mind him not getting it the first time, because the suit came before the Moniker maybe like maybe it wasn't his wife by the end there, Okay, that's fine, but he's now had six iterations of the goddamn suit. At one point, someone's gonna put dd on it because it's air devil.
Speaker 2: I hated it the way it was on Affleck's suit, like in the corner, like it was a Star Trek uniform.
Speaker 1: It's like an IOD shirt.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, like, just embrace it.
Speaker 1: It's on it fully on the middle of the chest. Took forever to get Punisher to get the fucking skull on him in a proper way, and I.
Speaker 2: Still don't think they have it on it right now, Like I think his current skull isn't just like way too big.
Speaker 1: You know what I would like if they're going to ever revisit him past his involvement currently on Born Again, I'd like to see the pirate boots, white, the skin tight suit with the fucking skull on it if they do. Listen, I'm telling Marvel right now, if they're going to do a Battle World right and oh yeah.
Speaker 2: He should show up on that trust in that costume, well fucking he.
Speaker 1: I need to see Frank Castle in the original costume if we're going to do variants and we're gonna do timelines, come on.
Speaker 2: There's a way to do that. There's a way. It doesn't necessarily have to be spandexy or anything, but there's a way to do Why not?
Speaker 1: Why not? Even the current look he's built, mister Barenthal. Just put on the skin tightest shirt with a proper looking skull on it that somebody made from some skin tight pants, and look, throw me a bone and give him some white boots. They're the only thing available. They're like he's in a snowy environment or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Remember that Mike Zech comic that's the best Punisher comic? Was that Punisher mini series? Oh man, that's the one I wanted to adapt into a movie, like where it like starts with him in jail or it ends with him in jail. I just love the fact the Punisher just ends up in jail and he's with all these fucking criminals. And he was in jail before Rorshack was in jail too, wasn't he. Yeah, it's because the sequence and Watchman is pretty much a similar.
Speaker 1: Very similar. Oh my god, Yeah, No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know, although I remember they tried to pass off that you could take a coke bottle and take the end off of it and put it on a gun. It could be a suppressor that I remember that from that comic. But I remember he killed guys in the shower like it was like a naked like. He did that. He did that before Vigo did.
Speaker 1: Yeh did. Yeah, everyone hates the Punisher in the Marvel universe. Can we just point that out? No superheroes trust him at all. During Civil War, I remember like when the teams were finally all chosen and he walks in a nope, you leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like that's the way he should always be treated, even by the fan base to it. I loved Punisher from the eighties when I was a little boy, and and then to the nineties during that Punisher Heyday. I loved those books. But I said, an adult, he's a horrifying character, and you've got to treat it. You've got to treat it like that. Like I always feel like if I was gonna make a Punisher movie, I treat it like a seventies movie. Whereas it's morally ambiguous, he's clearly not a good fellow, and you shouldn't try to make him heroic in any kind of way. It's just the only kind of heroism he's just ad evehm to do is like rescue a little kid. That's okay, that's where he the redeeming he's got. He's gotta rescue a child or something. But otherwise he's a monster, and that's the whole point of the character. He's a villain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they do a pretty good job with the John Burnhal thing. I mean, he's way more heroic here, but maybe that's because John Burnhal's playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they when they added the crooked, crooked soldier, the crooked Special Forces guys, I think that made him then. I was like, oh no, look he's and just like him. Just killing criminals indiscriminately works. But the performance is great. He like he's perfect. There's the Puniship, But I don't think any of the Putniship performances have actually been bad. Like every guy who's played him has been pretty good, even Dolph Longer, and I will go to the ends of time saying that I adored that Dolph Longer move. Yeah he looks stupid, he doesn't have the skull, but that opening scene with him when the first time you see him, and like the mobster's going to celebrate the house and he just like murders them unceremoniously then shows up on the door and that the house blows up. Come on, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'll give you that. I'll give you the opening of that movie. That that whole movie was shot in Australia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I did know that. I didn't know that it's got Jerond Graviy in it though it does.
Speaker 1: He was on a round. He's just waiting for the fugitive.
Speaker 2: That's right. He's just a ya Goza, the Jeopanese, a Buffia. He's the Italian. I don't even know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Fucking dolphl Grin with the super black hair like like absolute washing. And then the stenciled on beard.
Speaker 2: That was I was gonna say that that's stenciled on beard, that just make up beard is hilarious. And yeah it's terrible, but like the murder in it, like the punishing is pretty damn good.
Speaker 1: He does punish quite a bit, but could have worked a scullet more than just the knife head.
Speaker 2: The just the I feel like the punish sir, I don't want Tarantino to make it, but I want Tarantino to like it. That's the kind of movie like, because his whole thing is seventies revenge moon, I feel the Punisher would work best. Is like a seven hard nosed seventies revenge joke.
Speaker 1: Carnahan, Oh yeah, he had pitched a trilogy for Daredevil before Marvel went nuts. And there's a sizzle reel actually you can watch it on YouTube where Yeah, the first film was supposed to take place in the seventies, second in the eighties, the third and the nineties, so you were gonna get that flavor with that. Maybe give Joe Carnahan a call Marvel. But you know what, I don't know. They're doing such they're doing pretty good right now. I think with ye why Muddy the Water?
Speaker 2: Joe Karnah, He did eight Team, right, he did Eighteam the most underrated, one of the most underrated movies ever. Man, that movie was actually surprisingly really good and I'm annoyed they never made more.
Speaker 1: But anyways, back it is an insane finale. People forget that. The scale of that fucking finale was crazy to choreograph, and then it looked in any way good is insane to me.
Speaker 2: And the fact that that movie works and plays is that you accept all the guys in these parts everything is fine, and you're like, Okay, great, I want more and it just did it resonate. That's too bad.
Speaker 1: It is because I wanted to see John Hamm as the next villain. That's what we were promised at the end.
Speaker 2: We were promised that at the end, it sucks all the agent.
Speaker 1: All the agents are named Lynch.
Speaker 2: Oh that movie was pretty Yeah, I might have to rewatch it. I really enjoyed that pick. It's definitely a better movie than that. Ben Affleck Daredevil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk Ben Affleck Daredevil.
Speaker 2: Well, let's can we start with Rex Smith?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, this might be familiar to some of you listeners. HP from Noise Junkies and I we picked the bones of this particular one. But I am now dying to hear your take on it.
Speaker 2: An Dounia, So this came out that Batman year, didn't it?
Speaker 1: It did nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this was the only superhero entertainment that I had on videotape because I recorded at an off NBC. So I watched it literally a thousand times that summer.
Speaker 1: Let me just speak to that for a moment. Prior to nineteen eighty nine, anyone listening who was not around then, there was nothing. We had Superman, we had some TV specials that were sad at best, just pathetic and unavailable, right, and we had what was left over from the sixties with the Adam West TV series, a smattering of like older even cereals that were just anathma to our young modern minds.
Speaker 2: Wonder Woman, all right.
Speaker 1: The Wonder Woman series, and that's about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had Spidy Hulk and whatever that Captain America was with the motorcycles for.
Speaker 1: All the yeah, the late seventies TV movies, all the aborted pilots.
Speaker 2: But in the late eighties they tried to resurrect Hulk, but they launched it with our Return of the Incredible Hulk was a TV movie and it featured the weirdest Thor you ever saw in your life. Was still a very good performance, but very weird, like Thor and Don Blake were two different guys, and Thorge just looking like a Viking. But and that was successful enough to spawn a sequel, which was this The Trial of the incredible Hulk. When they introduced a black clad Daredevil to capitalize.
Speaker 1: On No, I think they were attempting real world stuff. They were like, how would he actually address here? And they couldn't afford that red suit and make it look good on I gudget in that movie. That movie was filmed in one month in Vancouver, zero budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty terrible and everybody's overacting in it, and it's got the great John Reyes Davies as a guy that's supposed to be the.
Speaker 1: King could be techno King Finn.
Speaker 2: His name is Wilson Fisk. Kind of he's chubby, well but like not big, and he's got a beard and hair and sunglasses, and he's English.
Speaker 1: But he's crime boss. He's generic crime boss. Yeah, he's a scriptwriter glanced through the comics. Wilson Fisk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty terrible, and Rex Smith is Daredevil is overacting the entire time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I disagree with you on that one. No, I all right, what I was surprised at HB as well. We were both surprised at how much we liked Direx Smith's performance. Is Matt Murda.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll go back and watch it.
Speaker 1: You should actually, yeah, because I had not seen it since nineteen eighty nine and it was dreading going back knowing how much I did not like it, And that was the revelation.
Speaker 2: I just were hearing, going, what do you want information?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Oh, but he's right, he's right in the pocket there though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I remember, and I remember his mask had a visor on it.
Speaker 1: No, it's super weird. The mask is just there's a piece of fabric sown on to cover the eyes, but underneath it it because it rolls down it it looks puffy as if there are goggles underneath there. But at a certain point he just pulls it up and there's nothing under there. So it's just bulky and weird looking on its own.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and I guess it was going to be a backdoor pilot for the Daredevil show.
Speaker 1: I mean it ends with John Rey's Davies flying away in a boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that says fisc Gun. I guess he got at the same place Danels got his helicopter. So, but that's not even the first attempt at getting Daredevil up. There was an attempt in the seventies. David Bowie's wife wanted to do a Black Widow and Daredevil TV show.
Speaker 1: It's right, the film, they took some publicity photographs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Daredevil was just like it was like a hood and he had like face paper. She looked like a seventies Yeah. Hopefully the Battle World gives an opportunity to unite that Marvel power couple.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, listen, Marvel, I'm serious, now's your chance. The Flash that movie, The Flash. Was there a subtitle to that?
Speaker 2: No, it was just the Flash? Sorry about this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, basically they fucked that possibility of combining all of those different Superman or Batman or all the different multiverse shit.
Speaker 2: It was so poor.
Speaker 1: Please Marvel Battle World, bring them all together. Every fucking iteration of a Marvel character. I would like to see here. I want to see Nicholas Hammond's spider Man from the TV series.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's kind of annoying that he didn't pop up in that movie. They had all these guys in it, and they could have just had to have it a cup of coffee or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not like he's not working. He was just in Once upon a Time in Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Where is he in that?
Speaker 1: He's the producer Who's I want to make you like Angels Biker, That's right, That is Nicholas Leyko Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I loved that show me too.
Speaker 1: Man, They're still good. I still watch them sometimes it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but it was Spider Man. And when you're six, it's still Spider Man. How terrible it was? Yeah, And that dude on the guy on the if you can find this guy on your Instagram reels or TikTok reels and it's like a black.
Speaker 1: Dude and and he's is he just shouting up and he's this week on Spider.
Speaker 2: Man and he just does this all this rift like these clips from the old seventies show. And it might be the funniest thing ever. He does one for Star Trek, he does one for Wonder Oh yeah, yeah, dude, it is just one of the funniest comics. Man on on your social media.
Speaker 1: Oh, I will try and put his insta in the in the comments or what the liner notes? Was it called the description?
Speaker 2: Right? But like that seventies Spider Man, they could have done so much with it, but I guess they did it. But I always thought that suit.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah, man, I want that goddamn sit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I always like the eyes and the way the mask went on his face and stuff like it looked cool like it was a mask. It's not like now that every Spider Man when he has it like there's like a helmet in there, like it's all done slide of hand. The way he takes his mask off. That was the seventies. That was his actual mask.
Speaker 1: So okay, Ben Affleck, Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Let's so anyways, try all the Incredible Hulk if you get to watch it, find it on tub or something. It's a curious. But the Daredevil from.
Speaker 1: It's on YouTube. It's on YouTube. Yeah, oh yeah, good copy.
Speaker 2: So but Daredevil in two thousand and two so directed by was that Stephen Summers.
Speaker 1: That Mark, Stephen Johnson, Simon Birch, Daredevil, Ghostwriter, Win in Rome, Killing Season Finding, Steve McQueen, Love Guaranteed and then Love in the Villa.
Speaker 2: Stuff I haven't seen in some stuff that's wildly.
Speaker 1: As a writer. Grumpy old Man Grumpy or old Man, Big Bully, Simon Birch, Jack Frost.
Speaker 2: He I was gonna before we dive into this is the thought I had when it came out, and I have this thought to this. He was a better writer than he was a director. I think there is a good movie in that Daredevil's.
Speaker 1: Agree, it's not a good movie. It is so early two thousands. It's painful.
Speaker 2: It is the most two thousand and two thing that you can possibly Everything about that movie just screams me going to the club on the weekend and partying. Everything Bullseyes costume, to the soundtrack, to bed Affleck and Jennifer Garner, just everything about that movie is just the It's there's nothing timeless about it. It's so dated, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: There's nothing timeless exactly. That was the period when everything was leather.
Speaker 2: Everything that, like the Matrix dropped and everybody decided they were going to go to an SNL.
Speaker 1: And what's funny, Even before the Matrix had come out, I thought it was really innovative. I had become enamored of that television series Far Escape, the Rockney s Obannon written series produced by the Henson Company. Well, yeah, fantastic television, a science fiction television show with actual aliens. They because it was Henson, they had a lot of their characters were basically just puppets, and you totally bought them as characters. The innovation there as far as wardrobe was. Everything in the in outer space was leather, and it was fucking It seemed new and cool. And then the Ax came out and then it was like, okay, and now everything's leather. And then when Daredevil came out, I was like, give it a fucking rest. He looks ridiculous. It looks ill fitting and weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the script is a good adaptation of that Frank Miller era. It's a very solid adaptation of it. I wish I would have directed it.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. When I saw Matt Murdoch clinging to the cross of a church, I thought, oh boy, we're in for something here. But and I think you're right. I think that script's pretty good. Actually, for early two thousands, we don't know what we're doing it with superhero movies. Here's a superhero introduction movie. I do think the script is solid, except for everything they do with Electra, well, the Electra.
Speaker 2: Stuff in it, it just is misguided most of the way. She's so bland. And that's just from the writing to the casting to the costume designer just all bland. And that's that's too bad. Was like Sophie Marceau not available, or who else was an interesting European girl in the in the early two thousands, Monica Bulucci was she not available?
Speaker 1: For God's sakes, Wow, that would have been pretty good actually, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: Even Catherine z Ada Jones at that point was still maybe thirty years old.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't, like, there were lots of choices, but she was hot off of that television series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess she was an action actioneer off that show. But I don't. I have nothing against her, but she's so like bread and like just whitebread. And there's nothing like Greek or Mediterranean or about her or anything sexy about her.
Speaker 1: Either, Like no, it's and it's Look, the fucking mating scene of the fight in the playground, which feels like a total reshoot, is so poor. It like it's just baffling to watch. It isn't romantic, it's just it. This isn't a meet cute. I think he thought he was being clever in having this. Well it's there, they're getting to know each other fight.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing is that movie shouldn't have been shot like the way it was shot. It was shot like very slick, very matrixy, like with the exception of one or two of those shots where they're just trying to copy what Joe Casada was drawing. I don't know. I don't think there's too much of a Batman influence on it or whatever, But like that movie should have been the opposite of a spider Man instead of sick, slick and pretty. It should have just been down in gritty And the show does it so much better now.
Speaker 1: That is not the mark Stephen Johnson way. Even his grit is shiny and bright.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it shouldn't have been at all. And just that music is just every time I think of that movie, all I hear is was, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's it, and it's just it's all that new metally kind of early two thousands, what's on the radio kids.
Speaker 2: That's that movie? Is pretty much what's wrong with that song? Right? There would be there's a timeless song and with the most beautiful melody and the most beautiful woman singing the most beautiful song, and then this fucking guy with a trucker cap and ed hardy teacher comes in there and just shits on it with his rapping and his screaming, and just like douche baggery, and I feel like there's a good script in Darde, but then all of this douche baggery at hardy leathery shit comes in there. What is fucking Bullsye wearing?
Speaker 1: It's just bulls I swearing that giant leather trench coat, sit lord, and it's just killing.
Speaker 2: This amazing performance by Colin Farrell who just steals the movie from everybody.
Speaker 1: Look like Mickey Rourke for me, Colin Farrell, I've been a fan since day one. Man, when he showed up in this movie, I'm so stoked. And then that his performances, it is beyond this movie. It's so much better than this movie. And oh, speaking of Battle World, y'all get this bulls eye in that, because I love this bulls eye. He figured out what the movie needed to be when nobody else could in that flick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he's okay, it looks like we're gonna have some fun. I think that I can be naughty in it, and he went in there. He's just I'm going to try to fuck the audience with his performance, and even with that terrible makeup and like that shoe polish go tee that he's got going on that and that reject background extra matrix costume that he's got.
Speaker 1: It's awful, I will say. A friend of mine and I, after seeing this movie, repeated a gesture of his to each other basically every time we saw each other for months, which is after he has killed Electra's dad, he points at the kill, points to himself, and then points to the bull's eye on his head. Doesn't say a word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bullseye scar in his head.
Speaker 1: I did too. I thought that was a great innovation, that was, and.
Speaker 2: It has been a in the comics too, like He's I've seen it in the comic.
Speaker 1: Books, as it should be now that once you recognize something great, just fucking run.
Speaker 2: So that was the one design choice. Then Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin is weird, Like his performance isn't bad, and I don't mind the casting of it other than he's just not fat.
Speaker 1: And I just don't know what he wants. I don't know who Kingpin is in this movie. He's just a bad guy. He's just another obstacle for Daredevil.
Speaker 2: And Kingpin's motivation is just he just wants everything, and and they don't really even go into that.
Speaker 1: No, Ultimately, we don't really get a scene of Wilson Fisk being Wilson Fisk in the movie. He's just every scene is a plot motivation scene with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, I don't mind the performance. I don't mind the casting. He's just not either. I know, but he as a larger, bald white guy or latino, but there's very fair skinned. I can play I can play the Kingpin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell yeah, you're could.
Speaker 2: And I feel like that's because he's like the big dude in comics. That like isn't a joke.
Speaker 1: That's true. No one ever would accuse the Kingpin of not being able to fuck everybody up man.
Speaker 2: It's the only guy who fucks with the Kingpin is Spider Man. And that's just because he's Spider Man. He can get away with it. Like I even know the old cartoons, he was like, hey, Tubby, but the Kingpin is just is a solid.
Speaker 3: Mass And that was Frank Miller's innovation because he was just a fat guy and that Spider Man made fun of until he showed up in an I guess an R rated comic in the for nineteen eighty whatever it was, and he's just there.
Speaker 2: Crushing dudes in his underwear, just like murdering guys with his bare hands. And you're like, oh, he's that kind of fat. Okay, Yeah, he's like King Kong Bundy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, imagine him, Oh my god, can you It would be had to be a fun movie.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you're right, I don't really know what he wants. I do love Michael Clark Duncan just as an actor, always just loved every way he delivered the lines.
Speaker 1: So he delivered what he was given, right, that's the thing. That's a good performance for an underwritten part. Yeah, Black is underwritten. Fucking Kingpin is underwritten. He over wrote Bullseye, and obviously Colin Farrell threw all that out. Uh, and what we're left with is Affleck is Matt Murdoch, which is fine. It's a fine portrayal of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's just like, why was that not Matt Damon?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it should have been Matt Damon.
Speaker 2: Actually me and I remember me and my friends saying the exact when I came out. Ben Affleck should play Batman, not even back then. You're like Batman, big dude, he's Superman, like Daredevil is not huge. Daredevil is a dude. He just and I felt that the everymanness of Matt Damon really played well with plus that hair color, like he just looks it. He's an Irish guy.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. The tint that they've given Ben Affleck's hair is ridiculous in.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, and he's so big and hulking. It's just he's not built to do the stuff that Daredevil does.
Speaker 1: And he would be instantly recognizable. I don't care if he is blind with that build. And then show's up in the suit, you know what I mean, like wanting him walk into court. It's well, who's that fucking Oh he's blind? Well, I guess he couldn't be Daredevil.
Speaker 2: But come on, and that suit of his, like you said, it's leather, and it's why is it a zip up jacket? There's all these weird things going on with that suit. But again, the writing is it bad. The plot works, it can use another polish And that movie needed a better director, you know what I mean, needed a more a nuanced action director. I don't know who would have been like John wu or something I don't know, or oh gosh, who was around then? Then a martial arts movie.
Speaker 1: Joe Carnahan was around then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joe Karrhan could have done it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could have worked off of this script. I would have been happy with it, he would have said in the seventies, and that would have been even better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But there are things in there where tries to be where he's sleeping in the Yeah, I think that's interesting, the fact that he's eating pain and and all of his stuff, like there's something there.
Speaker 1: But they also enjoyed daredevil vision his sonar quibble here. At one point in his narration, he says, it gave me a kind of radar sense. It's sonar, dude, it's all based on sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so, but what are you gonna do? I've always felt my interpretation it's neat looking. It's the cool after effects of effect they do. My take on Daredevil's superpowers has always been like he just knows where everything is. He can't see it, it just knows you're there.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a moment in the subway where the guy is hiding behind one of the columns. His quarry is hiding behind one of the columns, and he keeps hitting his baton on a metal railing and so when we cut to his vision, what we get is basically a blank screen, but a wave of sound radiating from the thing and then illuminating each column until you get a brief image of the guy in the And I thought, that's cool.
Speaker 2: That is cool. That does make him even blinder though yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it makes his shenanigans a little even cooler in that, but it doesn't. So I watched the director's cut.
Speaker 2: Is that better? I see, I've heard it's better.
Speaker 1: It is better, subtly better, Like during that opening fight scene in the bar, the strobe lit to shaky cammed to. During that sequence, the sound basically drops out almost altogether, and you just hear like whispers of fan blades and little things like that instead of just a pump and rock and song over a kick ass fight scene. That, as a directory of the choice, made more sense to me and made me like Matt Murdoch a little bit better. So there are little subtle things like that make it better. There's an entire subplot with Coolio who they're defending. Foggy and Matt Murdoch are not only defending, but like investigating during the course of the film. His case did not need that we were happy without it. But you know, other than a little bit more brutal, there isn't much difference. It's better than the theatrical version.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it. I never just okay, I saw the theatrical version a couple of times. That's enough for me.
Speaker 1: Remember in the early two thousands when every superhero movie had a ten minute credit sequence that was so fucking boring. Remember Spider Man, It's just okay, a web, another web, Yeah, webs Okay. At some point I'd like to watch the movie do that here with the super terrible CG New York city scape where they have blacked out buildings but some of the windows are lit, and then the windows, the lit windows become brail, and then the braille become the title.
Speaker 2: Come on, Like they all just saw that Tim Burton Batman and they.
Speaker 1: Had to like, we got to do an incredible credit sequence that last for an entire credit sequence. No, you don't need to do that. We could just jump right.
Speaker 2: Look on my first movie, Space Effective, I did that. I'm like, I had like an elaborate opening credit sequence which was fun and all that stuff, And if I went back and recut it, I probably chopped that out. Like the opening credit sequence isn't like a thing anymore. Although I do appreciate the overture ideas so like it can work.
Speaker 1: But I think it all depends on if you have a good enough idea for a credit sequence, you need to justify your credit sequence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too. I liked it in my movie still because I just love that music, but I get it and a couple of things I've done since then, the shorts, I haven't use title where you go. It depends. I think opening credits can be considered the cover of the comic book.
Speaker 1: I love a great credit sequence, but.
Speaker 2: The openings of Spider Man were both poor, even that second one, with all the like the Alex Ross artwork, it just kind of went on and on. Can cut them down and make him quick? I don't know, it depends. I don't like Marvel doesn't do the titles at the front of the movies anymore. The title of the movies are usually Marvel No.
Speaker 1: But you know what we did get at the start of this movie was the whispering pages Marvel promo. Oh yeah, loved that.
Speaker 2: That's the beginning of it.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: Oh man, just the hint of the comic book page and now it's just a thundering fanfare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all of their shit. But so the movie itself is it's all right. It's an interesting take on Daredevil. The script would have been better in more suitable hands, but it is what it is. It was pretty evocative of all the superhero movies of that time period.
Speaker 1: Glad it didn't get a sequel. Shocked it got a sequel, yeah, because it.
Speaker 2: Did that Electra, which I've still not seen to this day, because it just looked terrible. I feel like it's a really bad take on Ninja. Scroll right. She has to face the different demons or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And exactly what it is, people with tattoos of snakes coming off of their body, fighting Mortal Kombat style and forests that aren't particularly visually interesting, and it's kind of all, yeah, it is what it was.
Speaker 2: And why do they not want to give Electra her headband? Nobody wants to give her the head band?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the fuck? Man, it's like her thing like, she looks hot.
Speaker 2: In the headband. I don't get it. Size in a headband, that's all you need. Even in the new show, she don't have the headband.
Speaker 1: No, and she's a much better election You know who they should have cast in the year two thousand and two to play Elector. Well, salmahayak. She's half Lebanese, right.
Speaker 2: She is mostly Lebanese. Actually, yeah, she's from Mexico, but her family is from like my family on Cuban, but my family is from Lebanon, Azaria, from Mount Lebanon. So it's like kind of in between the two countries.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like I would believe her as Electra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have. I would have loved have seen.
Speaker 1: Her asom in the outfit.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I could steal that out.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna, I'm gonna. I'm gonna generate some AI later.
Speaker 2: How unethical in so many ways?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Okay, that leaves a long gap.
Speaker 2: We had some animated anywhere. Well, I guess I'm the old Spider Man cartoon.
Speaker 1: He showed up Spider Man and his amazing friends and his amazing friends.
Speaker 2: He was his lawyer there and then nineties Fox five or We Fox Kids Afternoon or whatever, that one with the Joe Perry song.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and he's expertly drawn there. He's beautifully drawn. Actually, in the in the the nineties, one with the super highlights.
Speaker 2: And shall all those shadows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god, I went back and watched some of these Marvel's nineties animated fair and I'm knocked out by some of the design on it.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the Fantastic four show was actually I remember really liking that the Iron Man show sucked, but the Fantastic four one was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Is that the one from the seventies, the sixties, the.
Speaker 2: One from the nineties, the nineties, it had the theme song, which is like, just call the full fantastic full do do. The one from the sixties is pretty good too. The one from the seventies is trash. The one with the fucking robot. Oh that's awful.
Speaker 1: Herbie, Herbie, Oh god, I like the robot, but that show was there not great. When Captain America throws his mighty she.
Speaker 2: Those who opposed the shield must yield. Yeah, I remember they had their like generic Hitler on nine cartoon that was like Hitler, but they wouldn't call him a Nazi.
Speaker 1: Wow. Kind of like today, right, so I will.
Speaker 2: I think, I know we've had this bait before, but I always kind of feel that Marvel hurt society by not emphasizing that the red skull, I feel like dismissing him as just a hydra dude. I agree quickly.
Speaker 1: I agree with you when I think it's more in keeping with that character that he would form his own Reich. I mean, maybe he could have called it the Fourth Reich and continued with the Nazi imagery to do what you're saying. Yes, but I don't think Captain America's impact is that strong on American culture. I think the current rise of fascism is has much greater antecedents.
Speaker 2: I also think that Steven Spielberg going no more Nazi villains and movies because I only make serious World War two films. Now, that was also a mistake. I think Nazis as bad guys.
Speaker 1: In movies should have never been I agree watch Season two Millennium. The Nazis come back in that and as one of the underground players on the global scale, and they are dealt with effectively wonderfully. Actually it's a two parter Alan Boosters is what the episodes are called.
Speaker 2: My favorite Captain America comics when I was a kid was anytime that he was in World War Two fighting fighting the Nazi Threat that was always my favorite, like that Captain America Origin that came out in the early nineties, and Kevin Maguire's my favorite comics. But anyways, we're getting off track talking about well we.
Speaker 1: Are talking about the MCU, and now let's talk about the MCU's version of Daredevil because we finally got it. In the television series. All of the Street level heroes minus Spider Man were relegated to the Marvel Television ghetto under Ike Pearl Mutter's perview.
Speaker 2: And it's a miracle that those shows came out. For the most part, were pretty good.
Speaker 1: I think the initial seasons of Daredevil and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, I think those were all well considered. And then I think at a certain point Ike Pearl Mutter was in such competition with Kevin Figgy that he was like, I wanted Avengers now.
Speaker 2: I feel that the biggest drop off was Jessica Jones because that first season was just incredible. In the second season at all, I thought the Iron Fist was just awful all the way through. The Luke Cage I think was consistent, but Daredevil, I thought was the one that was consistently good throughout. It wasn't wild about the Punishers.
Speaker 1: That was okay, the Punisher on his own series, Yeah, because the Punisher season of Daredevil was fucking phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Season two Yeah, all of Daredevil was great, I thought, And I liked the Defenders. I thought it was not No.
Speaker 1: I checked out about halfway through. I think he just didn't feel like there were any steaks, honestly, and the stakes weird and silly, and I hate and I hated iron Fist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hate iron Fist too, like Danny Ran can.
Speaker 1: Piss up a rope man just recasting. Yeah, give us somebody else, give us Tiger.
Speaker 2: Who's on this season of But the Daredevil show I thought was consistently good its entire run. I enjoyed that entire run of Daredevil, even the way it ended. I loved Electra, I loved Punisher. Okay, Electra didn't have the headband.
Speaker 1: No, but Elerd Young, Yeah, Elity Young, beautiful name, beautiful woman. I did not understand most of her dialogue, honestly, I swear I subtitled.
Speaker 2: It fair enough. I thought she was fine as Electra, but.
Speaker 1: She was just fine as Electra, and Electric is more than fine, that's true. She should be a goddess.
Speaker 2: They don't. They don't pay. They don't mind pay enough mind.
Speaker 1: I think No, it just felt kind of rushed, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Electra should thread throughout his life. She should be it's his catwoman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is true. She needs to be coming in and out of his life constantly. She should show up on this show too.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: But that being said, for the most part, everything about the Daredevil show, I've really love it. Probably my favorite stuff that Marvel's done, outside of those Avenger movies, which are all pretty good and those Spider Man said that Dared Double show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's one thing you should learn. If you find yourself suddenly in the Daredevil universe stant of hallways.
Speaker 2: If there's room for Dolly shot, you need to get out of the way.
Speaker 1: You gotta fucking run. It's Darwell's same deal.
Speaker 2: Do you If they can get a steady camera or a ronin in there, you're screwed. Man.
Speaker 1: You need to take an elevator to a tiny room that leads to the outside. Because you're in a hallway, you're gonna get caught in a melee.
Speaker 2: That fight scene with him in the black Suit when he's first starting out. I really like that black Suit is it's what Miller and Ramita did, and and Man Without Fear his the official origin, which is like to two. I liked it. It worked, and then he finally gets the Daredevils, who My only complaint on the show is that Daredevil generally doesn't show up until later in the seasons. And I feel like these shows all really could learn a thing or two from the comics they're done. Do you get twelve episodes of a TV show would be the optimum twelve or thirteen, right, but you can get twelve issues in an annual, you get two or three storylines, an over arcing storyline, and bottleneck issues all And they really can learn to do that on these TV shows, and they don't do like, here's twelve episodes, we have to have a twelve episode arc. Now you can have two episode arcs. You can have multiple little arcs and then have a big one that come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a couple of episodes, you could say, Hey, what's going on with the such and such case. Oh blah blah blah, we're working on it. Okay, back to what we're doing, right, now it's yeah, the idea in a lot of people because streaming was still kind of a new thing as far as trying to plot out a series arcs. Everyone started saying, it's a twelve hour movie. No it isn't. It's not a You're not giving us a three acts structure with everything building up to that fucking ending. You're stringing us. You have one story, you've created seven subplots for, and not all of them pay off. My problem with the Daredevil series, my problem with the Marvel series overall, is that they all should have been eight episodes. I think they were following the twelve issue and also twelve episode BBC model, figuring that's perfect, right, four episodes, three acts, sure, but there wasn't enough story to sustain it.
Speaker 2: No, and that's but they do the act in the structure of the comic book, but they don't pay attention to the way the comic books go through the year. If I'm reading a Daredevil comic, for example, for a year, he's going to have three storylines, and that they do. There's going to be a four issue arc where he's fighting the Owl, and there's going to be a two parter where he's got a deal with Typhoid Mary coming out, and then there's six issues of The Kingpin and Electra or something like it. And then in the annual you get like a flashback. You could do that kind of in a TV show, and they don't seem to ever kind of do that. They want to give you a twelve hour movie or they want to give you twelve bottlenecks. They don't. We're going to mix it up.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Well, I think at least my prayers have been answered. We've got two seasons now, eight episodes each. The first season here that this first season of Born Again actually has nine, but I'm basically considering the first episode two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that first episode was outs.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get going, folks were now talking season four technically of Daredevil Born Again currently playing. The first two episodes have been released. Antonio and I have watched them, and I think we're going to be spoiling some things. Yeah, first episode, it's kind of impossible not to spoil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's like if the States status quos changes changes in the first ten minutes. But before we get in there, John Burnhall that season of The Punisher was really good too, because he had the equivalent in the jail fight too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, and that was unexpected. That was you right. That was the best part of that season, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they had you had you had Bullseye on the show. You didn't. You've got the greatest hits of Daredevil up unto a point on that original show, and I really enjoyed the hell out of it. But what Marvel put out this week makes that show look like a piece of junk.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: This is the most That first episode was like the one of the best adaptations of a superhero thing I've ever watched. It was so good, Like it was the right level of operatic and the right level of street level. It was like the right level of handheld and so like you still got him doing all the cool ah look at him swinging around on a rope and shit, but it still was substantially grounded. It wasn't overly shiny and unlike a lot of the other Marvel stuff, it was really stylie like, it looked like something. It had really nice cinematography. It was pretty and Marvel movies. One thing they all kind of disappoint me on is they all kind of have a very standard look to them. They all have that the same color and color grade. They all have kind of the same visual style they do outside of the James gun stuff. Who does this seems to have fun. Everything else is pretty straightforward and daredevil. We're gonna make a little bit more like we've seen a Martin Scorsese movie.
Speaker 1: Well, and James can get away with it because it's it's cosmic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's an outer space and I guess putting it.
Speaker 1: On the street, there's a ridiculous outfit that makes no fucking sense, and here it is.
Speaker 2: But this is nice, like the light but like James Gunn lights, you know what I mean. And I feel like everything is kind of flat, flatly.
Speaker 1: Lit in the rest of the Marvel flicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this was moody and really well lit, and there was red.
Speaker 1: And everything was covered in fog and fog. Yeah, loved it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like they said they've seen a Martin Scorsese movie. You know that that taxi driver that was clearly the guy who directed the the guys who directed the pilot. I guess this guy's direct the whole show. Yeah, and they're really pay attention to taxi driver. Main streets A little bit, especially Taxi Driver with all that steam coming out of the It's very pretty. And just a shot of seeing Daredevil swinging. I still haven't seen Batman swing in a hundred fucking Batman movie. And there he is.
Speaker 1: He's that's right, he's always just being towed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there he was swinging, and I thought that was really cool and being Daredevil doing and just to quite the right level of it, because it was too much in that movie with the in the Benefleck.
Speaker 1: Movie, too much Daredevil.
Speaker 2: No, it was too almost cartoony the way he was kind.
Speaker 1: Of, Oh yeah, it was. It's fantastically cartoony. It's it in a set that on the rewatch, I could tell that they had built out to give space for people to flip around and have big scenes in instead of like a bar.
Speaker 2: But Daredevil the way went Okay, So turn it off if you haven't watched it yet, Okay, because we're gonna we gotta talk. Yeah, because there's way to even talk about the first scene.
Speaker 1: No, and here's the thing in the in the run up to this show, we've been hearing chatter forever, right, So those original Netflix series. Once it became clear that Marvel was going to just tank back everything that they could. Netflix canceled the series, but there was a there was an agreement in place that they couldn't use the characters or do anything with the characters for any number of years, And obviously the first year that they were able to that's when No Way Home came out and Matt Murdoch showed up as Peter Parker's lawyer in that film. So now they've been introduced into the MCU. But now they've been talking about doing Born Again forever and ever, and now I've forgotten my point. Antonio well.
Speaker 2: Born Again is also the title of a comic too, Gary Devil Born Again by Frank Miller and the great David Ah.
Speaker 1: He was all he's an eighties guy. He did two comic books, The High School Hero did Doo comic books.
Speaker 2: He did this one and maybe the best Batman comic Batman Year one, certainly one of the best, certainly the best drawn Batman.
Speaker 1: I'll agree with that if you've never read Best the Side of Batman. The Cult.
Speaker 2: Bernie Wright said, yeah, I'm a big fan of Killing Joke, Ryan Bowland, but yeah, the Killing Joke is it's number two, very close number Man Year one, Mazuchelli, I hope by saying it right, it's the most gorgeous Batman. It's fine art man. It is just so beautifully drawn. And you can see the beginnings of that in Born Again with Dardel when I had the greatest that trade had the best cover for him jumping through the stained glass window with his mom the nun Oh, his mom, He said, like, how catholic can you get? Like that? Like, my mom would have would have been a nun if had I not after my dad passed. I think my mom would have become a nun I had I not been around. So like it was, Yeah, I felt a lot close, very close to But the Mazuchelli art is gorgeous. His Batman, Gregory Peck, it's beautiful. The animated Batman Year one is still my favorite animated Batman movie. It might be my favorite Batman movie. I don't know. It's pretty pretty.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Okay, I've remembered all right, so long run up to this new Daredevil series, right, and now we've heard about all the casting, and we kept hearing about about Karen wall Is it Karen fuck? I don't want to say her name wrong. Because I know it's Karen Page.
Speaker 2: Right, who had an awful fate in the comics. Thank you, Kevin Smith. Kevin Smith gave her age.
Speaker 1: We kept hearing from denbra Annwall that she was not being asked back for the series, right, and then a similar confirmation from Elden Henson, who plays Foggy Nelson, so to hear kind of last second, and when the trailers started dropping that they're going to be in the series, I was stoked because I like those characters a great deal. I like these actors playing them, and I want to see more of them in the MCU. So that brings us to what you were saying, Antonio, which is the first time minutes of this where we get to see the gang all back together and it's fucking great and we can't wait for their further adventures and yet done Bullseye.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I was not expecting to see Foggy and he just boom right in the chest Foggy Nelson. Really, I was expecting Karen Page to get it, not Foggy Nelson, and you know what, she looks like it, but she's fine. I think the old show suffered a little bit when they would steer clear they would like, we're gonna do a Karen episs, We're gonna do a Foggy episode nobody cares about.
Speaker 1: I humbly disagree with you.
Speaker 4: Do you really?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love those two characters. I just think they needed something more interesting than just regular intrigue, like they're they needed meteor plots basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the And like you was expecting Karen Page to get shot, Bunt was not expecting a death. No.
Speaker 2: I was not expecting a death because I felt like that was because the original thing. They had shot a lot of the show already, and Kevin Fagy and company decided, Man, let's you go back, and I thought, oh, they must have killed somebody.
Speaker 1: And then they decided, or maybe they decided, we need more steaks right at this, right at the outset. Yeah, we need somebody to go. And everybody loves Foggy.
Speaker 2: Everybody does love Foggy.
Speaker 1: It's a bold move, and it fucking broke my heart.
Speaker 2: I did like him as Foggy. I did like but I seen that guy in a couple of things, and this was the first time I ever really liked him. I think he was in butterfly effect.
Speaker 1: Right something like that. Yeah, he's got that teen comedy face.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was like teen comedy Philip Seymour Huffman but oh sorry, but yeah, it was brutal to see him go. I was it really set the tone for what the show was and what was it gonna be. And like the level of steaks, I guess I hate saying that, but yeah, the steaks are pretty high. But that's see because it's just like all of a sudden, the bullseye starts coming through there and she's strapped and she's about to pop him, and it cuts the inside of it was a cut the inside of the bar, and she bullseyes just fly through the window and then dareduble show up just looking.
Speaker 1: Another fucking fantastic fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like I liked how like they cut from him swinging at him to like the reaction, Like it was really clever editing, really good filmmaking. I just that fight was spectacular and the way he just like unceremoniously throws him out the roof.
Speaker 1: What a shot. By the way, Yeah, forever, every movie from the seventies and eighties which would have a building fall, we would always have to cut because airbags and safe bags. But thanks to digital technology, we get to watch Bullseye go.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, like, how does he survive that?
Speaker 1: Well, they did that experimental surgery on him. They after Kingpin broke his back.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, Okay, well there you go. His performance is different than Colin Farrell for certain, but I do like it. It's very subdued. He is clearly a maniac and both eyes a maniac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they need more of those in the MCU.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm tired of noble villainy, Like enough, can they just be fucking evil?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get say it. You can still be interesting and want to do nothing but destroy. You can give me a clever not a clever, but a a heartfelt backstory for that villain. And yet there's still a villain. There's shit.
Speaker 2: The best villain. I still think the best villain they've had is the Red Skull. He was like, he was very criminally underused, and I know he didn't want to come back, but he was evil. The performance was fucking great. I don't know why they didn't just glue dots to his face and make him a CG Skulf even like wearing that makeup.
Speaker 1: I understanding that he would have come back, they just didn't renew him. They just didn't use him again. And by the time they got to the Final thing, it was just easier to use Ross Marquan because they were only going to have a limited interaction with the Red Skull anyway, So it just didn't make any sense. But the greatest missed opportunity is that we never got the Red Skull as he should have been portrayed in as far as the Further Adventures of Captain America, because we got Forty's Red Skull and he was fucking perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, why couldn't we have gotten a Bred Skull and the Masters of Evil. That's I always felt like they really dropped the ball by going hard on his multiverse shit. Okay, we're gonna get the sequel World's Final Secret Wars finally in Battle World and the Last stuff, but we could have gotten there anyways. But they could have gone from after the Infinity stuff. The Masters of Evil were just right there. Red Skull Loki and like all these bad guys that team up, Zack Snyder fucked it up too with the Dark Side shit, and did DC Nobody cares about Dark Side They just want to see the Legion to do. Nobody ever understands that's what p They want to see the superheroes versus the Army of super Villains, and we still have you. But anyways, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Zack Snyder wouldn't have been able to have gods on Earth versus gods from space.
Speaker 2: Oh so he makes such really keep me made such cool movies. But I think he got up his own butt a little bit.
Speaker 1: I don't know a lot bit.
Speaker 2: I always I like Admire three hundred and Watchmen so very much. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Zack Snyder hates superheroes there.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe that was it. You apparently hated outer space people too.
Speaker 1: He hates everything. Yeah, y'all have to watch it.
Speaker 2: That's too bad. I wish he'd make something like Codan.
Speaker 1: I'm glad he didn't.
Speaker 2: He would have been slow motion Codan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so much dust, so much particulate matter sailing through the air.
Speaker 2: But man, I love three hundred that it's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It's questionable, but then the comic was also questionable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's clearly you just have to go. Okay, this is Greek, ancient Greek propaganda but anyways, the Daredevil that first episode was just fucking great. The scene, the heat scene between Daredevil and Kingpin, between Murdoch and Fisk is really cool. And when okay, I jumped ahead, because when Fisk shows up at his wife's office in the storage unit and he just goes Vanessa and that clears out the room. He is It is Christopher Reeve as Superman.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: Of all the MCU casting, it's the one that's absolutely perfect.
Speaker 2: Maybe Tom Holland is Spider.
Speaker 1: Man, Chris Evans Captain America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and our DJ is Tony Stark, but.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a bunch but and the villain scale this is the perfect one.
Speaker 2: But no, but even but those guys are all great casting, but this is it's even more because the Kingpin is almost like you couldn't have don't. I don't know. I'm just marveled so much. I can't imagine anybody else playing that part right now. Gleason, Brendan Gleeson.
Speaker 1: Maybe he could a fine kingpin, yeah, but right around gangs in New York time, Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, it's a dinofrio. There's just there's so much perfection around his Kingpin his delivery even just like remember the first episode I saw him on the show and just started quoting him immediately the mask and he sounds so cool, like I had always thought like that, that fancy Kingpin in the and the Old Spider Man Show was pretty cool. Roscoe's he was. He was on the Cosby Show. Roscoe Brown very fine. Yeah, and he leaned very much into the Sydney green Street because that's who Stanley. That's when they came up with that. So just till Sydney Green Street, that was was king kids. Sydney green Street was a character actor in the forties and fifties, best known as the Heavy There's a.
Speaker 1: Very large guy in the Maltese and was parodied as Job of the Hut.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Hut, but Vincentinofil brings that energy, but brings us certain Yeah, I'm very fancy. But I grew up in the streets and I killed my dad in my bare hands when I was twelve, and I will I'll in the comics the best Kingpin in the comics with garth Ennis Punisher series where it was really grounded. Punisher was like fifty seven years old, sixty years old. It was the Vietnam Vet and the Kingpin in that field this sunned it like he just didn't care, like he was just the most evil thing event and I think Vincent Andofrio brings that. But Prince of Anoffield makes him three dimensional and still he redeem it them. That's it. There's so much depth, like he's just an asshole. There's nothing like, oh I'm I'm wounded inside and oh I'm trying to be bringing balance, like the fucking He's just evil gangster.
Speaker 1: He wants power and he wants it all. Yeah, the city of New York specifically, it's a it's an attainable goal and it doesn't involve a light into the sky or blowing something up, although that most likely will figure in by the end of this series. I mean I'm quite certain. But Vincent Andofrio as Kingpin, Like how stoked was everyone when we heard he was even being cast in the park. Yeah, and he's been so consistently good. Did you want you Echo?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did. I love the man Echo.
Speaker 1: I loved him in in Echo and I liked that series. Actually yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: I did too. I think he got a bum wrap. I think anything that that the any negativity a guy is just because we are in this weird Earth three universe that we've where everybody's gonna have a goatee now, like Evil Spot, Like, we're just in that timeline right now, and they did not want to see a disabled indigenous gal kick so much ass, I guess, And it's a crime, because what a cool superhero. I really enjoyed the sheet out of her and the whole stuff with the Kingpin was cool, and he was running around with a white suit and he was fat and all like it was great.
Speaker 1: Yep, just doubling down on making him more and more complex as a character.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess people don't like the wokeness now, that's just that show was cool and I want to see more of her because I liked it and I'm pleased that she got such a cool performance the chance.
Speaker 1: Okay, the heat scene, I'm glad you described it as such because that it was all that was on my mind when Kingpin and Daredevil sit down at a diner together. And here's what I thought while the scene is playing out, it's better than the heat scene.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they go to that two shop more in this than they did in the heat scene.
Speaker 1: Not only are we sure that our actors are in the same scene together in this sequence, but the writing is so good. The thing about the heat scene to me always was, yeah it's de Nio, Yeah it's Paccino. And they're basically saying the most generic crime bullshit to each other. I'm gonna stop you. No, you ain't gonna stop me. I'm gonna stop you. Okay, I'm gonna bring you down. I'm like you, you're like me. We're like each other. Oh, what a revelation, Michael Mann for the fucking thousandth time.
Speaker 2: Well, we're complex middle aged men.
Speaker 1: Good lord. But the writing here, the repartee, the jousting, and the respect between.
Speaker 2: These two characters that hate each other so much, but the game recognizes game, and there's a certain camaraderie to their hate.
Speaker 1: It's like the first thing he says to him, it's not unpleasant seeing you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ah, you bring my life. And I feel like these movies never get that, Like even in Batman The Dark Knight they say it right, they don't. You don't see it.
Speaker 1: None of the Batman cinematic versions of The Joker have delivered because it's always a one story and The Joker is as important to Batman as Alfred. You can't kill him. It's once the Joker's dead, the series is over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Batman's mirror. It's a unique that balance to just it's Batman villains used to be. They're under the impression of the Batman villains is like the villain of the week, like in the old show. Oh look, here's a new villain. They come back, though, and they work better when they're integrated into Gothams. The Penguin worked started really working as a character when I was a kid in the comics, when they gave him the nightclub and they gave him a permanent place to be, and all of a sudden, he now was this information broke and then before I knew it, he was just random ob And like, it works so much better because it's a freak that took over the crime liston the chaacrow running the drugs is cool because it's this freak that took over.
Speaker 1: The drugs and not just everything's fine in Gotham City. Oh no, the Penguin's back in town. Look out, the Riddler's on his way.
Speaker 2: No, they're always there. The Riddler is some lunatic that no one's ever gonna catch and no one knows where he is. He just lives online. Now, I liked that in the movie that he in the Batman that he was just like this internet troll. But like, these characters have to adapt, always adapt with them. And the cool thing what I liked about this Daredel thing is I like how it's adapted to I was running for mayor did they have a crystal ball? Because I'm watching this is the most topical thing I've ever fucking seen.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. Remember when Lex Luthor became president? Oh yeah, I remember thinking at the time, like I love that for that character. That's where he was always going to be. Yeah, and we've only ever seen it on screen as a vision on Smallville with Rosenbaum in the white suit in the Oval office. Oh my god, it was wonderful.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the animated movie Public Enemies is delightful.
Speaker 1: Does that have President Luthor?
Speaker 2: It's got Clancy Brown as president Lucy.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck, okay, now I've got a walk and it's got.
Speaker 2: Tim Daily and the late great Kevin Common and Superman and Batman become America's most wanting company.
Speaker 1: Oh that I never got around to watching.
Speaker 2: Oh it's on Max to check it out. It's delightful. It is one of their better animated films. It's really fun. It's a buddy cop movie.
Speaker 1: So the whole idea of President Luthor, as much as I loved it, I was always like, really though, I mean, he's been put away a bunch of times and the public aren't ever going to elect him president anyway. So yeah, So Wilson Fisk is running for mayor Ohen wins. He wins, And we've got a new character. The new love interest here, Margarita Levivia. She okay for Adventureland fans. Lisa p is back. Lisa p is back. She was in Adventureland as the sort of dream girl that all the everyone who works in the park lost after I did too, And she was great in that because her character is kind of just a vain airhead and I totally bought that. And then she showed up. She's the lead in The Deuce. She's the female lead on the HBO Max series The Duce with James Franco.
Speaker 2: Underrated show. I really enjoyed that. That show gave us quit the.
Speaker 1: Brunson indeed, and and she was. She was the lead on that, and she's fucking great in that. Every time she shows up anywhere, I'm stoked.
Speaker 2: So that her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, she's the girl that oh the she's the one going to college at the beginning, and she ends up being the lawyer at the very end.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wow, it's.
Speaker 2: A good show. Oh, James Franco, why do you have to be such a scupbag? That was one of your better pieces.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm gonna have to do an entire show about the Deuce. Actually, that's really good. I think it's an important piece of television. It's poor people and an important piece of American history, honestly, and it's.
Speaker 2: Companion show Vinyl only lasted us here only.
Speaker 1: Lasted Yeah, because it was garbage, you see that. I enjoy Okay. I enjoyed the flights of fancy, which you could tell with Scorsese's influence, where like, hey, let's see Bo Diddley playing for a fucking two minutes. Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I like Bobby Kennavoll a lot. I just can't always watch him just be and I liked his little I liked watching him. The show didn't really have a lot of direction, didn't really know where it was going. And I like Ray Romano. I really like him in that. I really loved him on that Get Shorty.
Speaker 1: Oh he was great. Yeah. The problem for me with that series is, and the problem with most of American entertainment lately, seems to be that all anyone learned from The Sopranos and Breaking Bad is that villains.
Speaker 2: Are cool and yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please go ahead, but that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I shared this to my story today and on Instagram, a clip of Vince Gilligan saying that, Hey, I'm in a room full of writers and something in a writing award thing. I'm like, probably wga thing. He's maybe we should I don't know, in light of the way the world is, maybe write some good guys. Maybe let's lay off writing the ul villains, because now we've made these guys aspirational exactly.
Speaker 1: We've humanized the horrible people, but we're not We're not lionizing any of the decent people. And by the way, decent people can be just as complex, and can have just as dark thoughts and be led down paths that they don't necessarily want to be and still be good in the end.
Speaker 2: I think that gives makes Daredevil. This is a fine example of being able to do that because Daredevil is about you know how every superhero superhero universe is there. Certain characters are uncorruptible, they're moral centered. Captain America is uncorrel Batman is uncorruptible. Daredevil isn't. Daredevil is the most realistically uncorruptible character because he's corruptible, Like he he crosses line, he fucks up, he's really slutting, he does all of these, he's striking, he does things that Batman. You can't get away with Batman. Like Batman, you can't like have him kill a guy and like remorse me just can't kill a guy. Daredeville can accidentally kill a guy, or could kill a guy and remorse about it and learn from him and ultimately realized, no, I'm better than this.
Speaker 1: And Muscu but you know what I mean, Like he's very catholic as self flagellate.
Speaker 2: He was sol fratulated. But there's always redemption for me, you know what I mean. So, like he's uncorruptible in a realistic way, and the fact that he finds redemption when he screws up I always found them in the coup and on the show he does that. He screws up all the time, and he's always beating himself up about it, but always I gotta do better. I gotta do better. Now he's fucked up beyond compare the fuck he's dead. What does he do now? Well, Kingpin's back in town. He's the fucking mayor. You're gonna have to do something.
Speaker 1: And boy doesn't he The plot so far this year, the writing is fucking sparkling. Yeah, into that second episode where the investigation is continuing. The fucking final scene in episode two, the fucking fight with the two corrupt cops is just about fucking perfect, man like, I could not ask for anything better than It is brutal and awful and wonderful and did what an action scene hasn't done for me in a while. Got my heart pumping. Yeah, I wanted him to fuck those guys up.
Speaker 2: What's great about the action on all the Daredevil shows is how claustrophobic it is. There are any closed spaces, like you were so used to superheroes fighting out in the open, like Good Lord the Civil War, big superhero fight ever up to that point was it an airport. The fight endgame is on the lawn of the Avengers manch and it's okay. This is he fights in a hallways and stuff, and even a lot of the Batman fights are on rooftops and shit, but can find spaces and he's bashing dudes in the walls. And I loved the scene because he's just the guy's gonna shoot him and don't do it, don't do it. Yeah, did he kill those guys?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those guys are dead. Those guys are dead, and rightfully so. I mean, I don't know. I'm so excited for the rest of this series.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm setting myself up for a fall. But at the same time, I'm so hopeful that Marvel has learned its lessons with Phase four. We're not just going to fucking line up anymore.
Speaker 2: Here's my take on it. Like again, DC guy, very excited for the DC stuff ahead, and I feel like a lot of the mistakes that Marvel's is done or whatever is going to be, they'll probably rectify. I know, I'm excited with the fact that he's look just like comic books have different creative teams, the movies can have different creative teams, like, it looks like a different guy is drawing a Batman comic than the guy drawing the Justice League. So I'm excited for that. I feel that Marvel has always been one thing, you know what I mean, It's just been this one thing all the way through and when they got and they expected us to show up for it, but I think they always hinged on what was gonna happen next, What was gonna happen next?
Speaker 1: What was They got way too up their ass about the interconnectedness of their universe. Yeah, it's everything felt like shoe leather to get us to something else.
Speaker 2: It started feeling like homework.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: White Tiger, who is a fucking like obscure character sevandies Man. He was in one of the Kung Fu comics. He shows up in episode two of this New Daredevil, and honestly, Tony for five or ten minutes, I was racking my brain. Where did he show up earlier? What did I miss? Because that's how the mcu U is now. And by the way, I love that it is that. I love that it's that confusing. It's just that each piece of entertainment shouldn't be geared just to confuse us further or just to further cement mythology.
Speaker 2: Well that's by the time I got to Black Widow and the Humans, it's just got it, don't lose track, and I'm just like not enjoying these as films. I'm just like, oh, I gotta watch even Shang Chi, which was a breadth of fresh air a little but still fell a little bit. Okay, Yeah, because okay, this guy the ten Rings, How did this connect to the terrorists? And Iron Man and low Boy. I don't know. They also haven't been maybe and they've been looser too, I don't know. Maybe that's why they haven't been suxcited. I can't bememve. Well.
Speaker 1: In the cases of say ant Man and Thor, I think they started trusting those filmmakers and just went go do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is because Thor Love and Thunder Terrible title has some cool ideas.
Speaker 1: In it, some great ideas, isn't it, And then it's just but there's so.
Speaker 2: Much cocaine going through that movie. I feel like taking with Ted was having like three ways with Tessa Thompson and Rita order wherever his wife is and doing rails of blow off their butts while he was writing the script, and God bless him because I I got Jojoh, But wow, this was out of control of that movie.
Speaker 1: It was all tired jokes, like it was all these visual gags.
Speaker 2: And then I say the coke game because there was so much going on. There were so many ideas in the meat and so many different tones. You've got Christian Bale.
Speaker 1: For God's sakes, as the god Killer, speaking of like the complex Marvel villains. That guy, that character in that light comedy deserved his own better movie.
Speaker 2: And you give me Thor and Hercules in this kind of half assed kind.
Speaker 1: Of way, and they get Brett Goldstein as fucking Hercules, and you give us him in a fucking cut scene at the end. Cutscene, a post scene, yeah, cut scene. Really, I've been playing a lot of video games, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of video games. But is he wearing was he wearing like a muscle suit? Or is he just? Is he was?
Speaker 1: He He's a big dude, right, He's yeah, particularly at that time because that was in the midst of the ted Lasso series, so you got to figure he was in top form.
Speaker 2: Is a weird casting a Hercules? I want to see more of it though, Like Hercules Marvel, Hercules is a delightful fucking character. He's this, he's just obnoxiously party boy like, bisexual mess of a guy.
Speaker 1: Marvel needs to figure out that we've seen all this shit happen on Earth already. And could you give us more cosmic? Could you give us more horror? Can I say that again? Could you give us some horror beyond Werewolf by Night? Something actually scary. That'd be fucking fantastic.
Speaker 2: The hour long Werewolf by Night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how about since you fucking opened the door, let's get into the gods and the goddesses.
Speaker 2: Now I liked were Wolf too, I did too. I liked the I don't know why they released it in color, that which is oh, I hated that. I liked the black and white. It was cool.
Speaker 1: I feel exactly the opposite. I didn't like it when I watched it the first time, and then when they were like, hey, special thing, watch it in color, was like, oh, I get it. Now it's fucking shocked. I mean, it's lit beautifully, the colors are fantastic, and like, I get what they pinned. Yeah, they Marvel panicked and were just like do something, make it black and white. Well, it's like a throwback to the old universal horror. Yeah, quake, do something anything. And I was just like, it's just a trifle. It's just supposed to be like a Halloweat special. Because I liked it a lot of it, Like, I liked the tone of it, and I thought he did a good job direct I liked.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: The script was the failure there. It just wasn't It just didn't add up, you know what I mean? Because we threw we meet all of our characters in the middle of everything. We didn't get to know anybody.
Speaker 2: Did you like Agatha?
Speaker 1: I did a great deal.
Speaker 2: I was. Can I see how surprised how much I liked I was.
Speaker 1: I had written it off from the moment they announced.
Speaker 2: I mean, the only thing wrong with Agatha was that there was they could have used more Patty.
Speaker 1: Well everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love Audrey pleasant ye, Aubrey Aubrey. Yeah, I was right. I adore her. She's like a cat, and she has a cat's personality that's kind of really dry, really sarcastic. And when she showed up as death, it was so cool. And I liked that they did the makeup different than the comics because death in the comics is like two it looks like two face the skull, and this one they did the mouth with skeleton her eyes. But it worked better because you still get those you know what I mean, She's got those beautiful and like to rob any of it of us.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It really worked. I thought it was cool. I was impressed at how gay it was, like, it was super gay. Curse were Marvel and Disney for actually bucking the trend and being all right with that. I said, it really worked, and haunts really can lead something. And it's the same she doesn't get to lead more.
Speaker 1: Shit, speaking of sort of the complexity. When they get it right, they get it right. The last episode of Agatha Along takes place. It takes place after the series and all it is a flashback showing how fucking horrible Agatha Harkness was. Oh that was amazing. What a way to wrap up. By the way, just so you know the person you were following and cheering along is a fucking horrible human.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a really neat kind of seventies ending to it. Almost I enjoyed that. So I take it she's not gonna be Franklin Richard's babysitter.
Speaker 1: Though why not if if a different timeline were starting in than she should be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I'm excited for that. Fantastic for I really enjoyed that trailer. I always wanted to set it in the sixties somehow, totally.
Speaker 1: That's every fan has been yelling that for years. Thank god they finally did it.
Speaker 2: I remember when Chris Columbus was attached to it. You wanted to do it like that or something. Yeah, and like his take was a hard day's Night with a fantastic four. And I always really liked that. The cast is great. That thing looks amazing.
Speaker 1: That thing looks amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: That looks like Jack Cooper drew it. I can't believe how good he looks. Man, He's even got that fucking eye those eyebrow sticking out. Yeah, okay, Ree Richards has a mustache. But I'll be fine with that because I know what his name is. Gonna play him like autistic and like kind of weird and but on the surface masking really well like his I know Pedro is such a good actor that there's gonna be like four levels going on with Red Richards. I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Were you a fan of The Venture Brothers, Oh god, their take on Mister Fantastic with Stephen Colbert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they could have cast Steven Colbert is mister Fantastic and I would have been just fine. I love the Venture Brothers. Fucking doc have her, Oh my god, what's it? And and Jackson Public that show. We could just do a podcast on that whole show. That show was the Freddie Mercury as mister Fahrenheit, the Supersonic Man.
Speaker 1: Oh in secret agent David Bowie.
Speaker 2: Oh my, David Bowie is like the leader of the what the Villain's Council whatever it was, the Guild of Colaboralous Intent. And I liked on that show how they do the storytelling off camera, like they would just jump you shit's happening in this episode you got a piece it together, And that was really clever filmmaking. Because they had a limited budget, they had a limited amount of time. They do what they do, so they just audience work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The scripture fucking phenomenal. Everyone got obsessed with the sort of blender of pop culture, like everything became reference to this in reference to that, and here was something looking so far back and yet pulling everything of the past seventy years of pop culture and all beardo shit that we've all been obsessed with and doing it correctly. I don't know. I stand in awe of The Venture Brothers as a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every episode of that is just a little gems like, there's so much. There's so much you can pack in there, Like the g I Joe stuff is great. The fact that the Brock Sampson's boss is Raul Duke. But it's it's not over. You're referencing Hunter s. Thompson, it's also referencing Dunesbury at the same time. It's that's a really clever rcke. It's really it makes the audience really actively participate in it. I feel a lot of what Rick and Morty is doing now is coming from what they were doing on a.
Speaker 1: Definitely they didn't do it.
Speaker 2: They did Their Spider Man parody was hilarious with the shooting the website Oh Yes, Yeah, which brings us back to Daredevil where the Kingpin is giving his mayor speech and he says, we don't have to deal with guys the skulls on their chest or dudes and spider costumes. I'm like, oh, Sony will let you say Spider Man, but who are the vigilant? So you got that white tiger guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now he's going to be our main case for this, right.
Speaker 2: The punishers obviously running around Still he should be Spider Man is in town. He's not gonna be on the show, but he's definitely living in the city.
Speaker 1: Luke Cage is still out there, Jessica Cage out there.
Speaker 2: I would like to see Luke Cage return. I enjoyed the Luke Cage show a.
Speaker 1: Lot, me too, man.
Speaker 2: I would have liked to have seen more of it because it ended on a cliffhanger. That's right, it just ended with him in charge of the of Harlem as the mob bos. I want to see that Luke Cage fly to la Veria and get his two hundred dollars from Robert Dunney. So do you think Robert down and Jr. Were going to see that face or it's just going to be that mask.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the mask. He's really into it, so I hope so, I hope he does a good job because doctor Doom is the fucking He's the missing link in the mcu as far as I'm concerned, and I hope he's.
Speaker 2: Just not a one off. I hope that he's a presence because I mean, yeah, yeah, Like, how much work is it for Robert Donna Junior to show up and hang on on set for the day.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a lateral move. This was supposed to be what's his name, Kang the Conqueror. They had been laying the groundwork for Kang pretty fucking hardcore all through Phase four and then had to immediately wrap it up in Quantumniaia is terrible to was a Quantumania. They wrapped up No, they wrapped it up in Loki, and I thought Loki was I like the end of Loki.
Speaker 2: I like the end of Loki. Yeah, but I just thought I hate Loki and I hate Logan. I love the actor, I love the performance, but I hate the storm shadowing of him. I hate like when they take a bad guy that's so popular they got to make him a hero now. But I really like him as a villain. Fucking we didn't have him as a villain longer. And I know people love the arc thing with him, and a certain population of girls love him, and Okay, but ah, I wanted more.
Speaker 1: That's true. Can't flip our villains that quickly, and or I just flipped them back because they do that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah they do. I did the what they did. Like in the first season of Loki was I liked Richard E.
Speaker 1: Grant Oh fantastic as real Loki.
Speaker 2: I just love that guy's delivery so much. It's so dry. So let's talk real quick. Let's talk about Daredevil himself and how good he is.
Speaker 1: We're talking about Charlie Cox is Daredevil.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. When we were starting the show, it was like every time we brought up something, I was like, we got to start talking about Charlie Cox though. So I'm glad we're wrapping up with Charlie Cox.
Speaker 2: Like like him and Dinofriol have such great chemistry. They and you can tell they really like working to each other and they really know how to play. Charlie Cox does a lot of good things otis. He plays the blind guy really.
Speaker 1: Really, everyone is so preoccupied with staring off in everywhere where they're supposed to be where they're not supposed to be looking basically, and that's just not how blind people are. It's a natural performance for once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very natural. He's not overdoing it. He is really tortured, and you see it on his face, you see it, you hear it in his voice. Yeah, Like it's a really good performance.
Speaker 1: Man, And just the way his postures, you can tell what that guy's all about at that moment.
Speaker 2: And you see it at the end of that last episode where he becomes Daredevil even without the suit. He becomes Daredevil in that moment.
Speaker 1: If if you're a fan of mister Coxon have not yet watched Boardwalk Empire, also on HBO, you should probably go do that because he's in that first season and he's fucking great.
Speaker 2: And he's also stars in Stardust.
Speaker 1: I've never seen Stardust.
Speaker 2: It's cute, it's delight. He's very charming. Yeah, amon Is, oh boy, huh oh wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did not see that in the cards.
Speaker 2: And like I keep trying to like buy my friends, like, so what did he do? Real bad shit, really bad stuff? Was like was I'm like, well, he had this groupie thing and he's all, that's not so bad. Yeah, and he held her against their will and I'm like, read the article.
Speaker 1: The fucking absolute insanity of it is you can't tell me that there weren't groupies just willing to do whatever. Yeah, why do you have to find the one who doesn't and prey upon that, you fucking dickhead. You had everything like he had legions of fans all praising him as a fucking god. I remember at a fucking in comic Con. It the first comicon I went to was in nineteen ninety three, and it was an insane party atmosphere and the biggest ticket was Neil Gaiman was going to be doing a reading from one of his books, like this after Hours kind of thing, and every fucking girl at comic Con was trying to get there, and that in my mind, Like, so I think about that when I think about, like all of these people who wanted to throw themselves at him, and that wasn't good enough.
Speaker 2: Fucking I remember the certain brand of girl that I was in love with, and when I was in high school and in early college nineteen years I can only commune I was a comic book nerd, but I could tell I could talk Sandman with her. That that that you know what I mean? It was the one comic book every girl knew that I liked, every arty kind of girl that I liked back then, my high school, my college girlfriend or whatever. Looks sure, I know Sandman. Oh, let me draw you as death. Oh my goodness, that's what That was part of my very limited game back then. Those Sandman comics meant the world to be Man me too.
Speaker 1: They were formative, Yes, like I was.
Speaker 2: I remember that Midsummer Night's Dream issue when I was performing in like the One Act and the Pyramids and Disbee thing is a one act and just connecting to Shakespeare and comic book, the stage and storytelling.
Speaker 1: In the depth of mythology throughout the world, and how it's relevant for all of us, and how ill informed we are about all of the cultures that that that dot the globe.
Speaker 2: And now he's you find out he's just as shitty as zeuss Er any of these other gods. He's rou just what a heartbreaker. Thanks, Thanks for shitting on my adolescence, buddy.
Speaker 1: Fuck you, Neil Gaman, Yeah, fuck you beal Man.
Speaker 2: Fuck you know how Yeah, I have terrible ady HD and but I can get through his novels. Motherfucker. I'm just gonna say, Oh, Terry Pratchett wrote good of it.
Speaker 1: There you go. Looking forward to that next season of fucking sand Man, Oh My Devils, season four, Born Again. It's fucking fantastic, you know what.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for the Punisher to show up again. I can't wait for Bullseye to get out of jail and see if he comes on with some kind of costume that looks something like he wore the books. I'm looking forward to that showing down. I'm praying we get some kind of Electra.
Speaker 1: Did she die again at the end of the building, crushed everybody, or rather her and Daredevil, but then he somehow mysteriously escaped. But I don't think they found her body or anything. So electors of the type to always come back. Just whether or not she will she, I'm guessing season two of this current iteration of the series, she's probably gonna come back.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's up for Karen Page. I feel like she is just a disaster waiting to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't they just those two get along for a little while. Can't they grieve together? That's Matt Murdock's ultimate problem is he has to grieve.
Speaker 2: Alone, and he grieves by beating up people.
Speaker 1: We've got your number, I mean, go to church, dude, you're catholic. Yeah, go confess or pray or something.
Speaker 2: You just be like I cross the line. Oh yeah, okay, but you know, Bullseye deserved it. The guy's a crooked cops that guy, that one crooked cop. He's a crooked cop on Mayor of Kingstone.
Speaker 1: He's got a type a type.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited for the rest of the season. I'm glad we got a chance to talk about it because I was jazzed watching these episodes. I was like, oh my god, that first episode, that fight with Daredevil and Bullseye was so gangster.
Speaker 1: So it's just many knives stuck into yeah, horrible. It's a fucking pin cushion by the end.
Speaker 2: But just really it gives you that costume Vigilantis like, it really lets you know, this is what it's like to be a superhero when you're not Iron Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the rest of us, this is what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's a lawyer, broke lawyer in New York.
Speaker 1: Come on, he will snap your arm into lovingly. That was brutal, man, it was brutal. Daredevil Born again. Everybody go watch it. We I don't think we can endorse it or recommend it rather anymore than possible. I'm hoping that they fucking continue.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, so do I Man. Daredevil is just really cool, man, I like, I loved those comics. I loved I read them that John Romita was drawing it when I was reading it, and I remember we're going back and reading the Frank Miiller ones, and remember excited when the Kevin Smith and Joksato ones came out.
Speaker 1: The art was amazing, art was really good.
Speaker 2: I agree, And this show really just just captures that comic. It captures it. It's one of the better superhero adaptations out there.
Speaker 1: Give it.
Speaker 2: If you get a chance, go watch them.
Speaker 1: If people are trying to find you on the line, Antonio, where can they do?
Speaker 3: So you know what?
Speaker 2: You can find my company Swamp Media Group at Swampmediagroup dot com and on Instagram at Swamp Media Group.
Speaker 1: As for me, if you're looking for me on a socialist, just at fatherm Alone. If you want to get in touch with me directly at not at but fatherm Alone seven to one at the gmail dot com. And of course, if you want to support the show in any way financially, head on over to patreon dot com slash fatherm alone. Patron subscribers get episodes early and commercial free, and you get a bonus series. Apparently I'm gonna end up doing one about the Deuce. Until next time. I'm gonna leave you with a bit from one of the Daredevil movies. Maybe it's a funny line, maybe it's a poignant line. You'll just have to listen right now.
Speaker 5: You can build the prison of stone and steal, but you merely present the prisoner with a challenge, and he truly determined man find a way out.
Speaker 2: Love is the perfect prison, inescapable, so you see, Agent Nadine, I am always in prison wherever I go, and if these things help me protect Vanessa, then they are nothing to me.
Speaker 4: Siss s s sist