Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hey there, and welcome back to another Wild Thursday. Everybody. Uh this week first time guest, but frequent attender in the chat and if you are somebody that is a part of the Disconnected discord, you'll definitely recognize this name. We have mister Blake Bergman, who you will know is Spaghetti aka a various Spaghetti aka the guy who writes on letterbox to all the damn time Blake doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's been a bit since I've wanted to do this and since I've had you on a list. We've got some some cool stuff to talk about. One we probably should start with the fact that you and I got to work together earlier this year on a river from Grayface. You're a part of the very first grave Face release. How How was it putting out your first visual lesson? My friend?
Speaker 3: Oh man, it was. It was very exciting and it was definitely a big learning lesson. I love that you get to go through, not that it was troublesome or anything, but just you know, the the trial and error of learning the process and really getting to put together sort of the pragmatic skills that I'm applying in other areas and put it on a disc r definitely was a big learning lesson and yeah, it was just a ton of fun and very gratifying that I was able to find that I could do something like that and also work with you guys on that as well. So for sure, it's definitely a team effort.
Speaker 2: We were stoked to have you and not to mention to be a part of the first Gray Face release is really cool for all of us to got to be a part of it, and it's an incredible movie. For anybody that hasn't picked Up River yet, could you tell them a little bit about the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a collaboration between the director Juta Yamagucci and then Altho the writer Makoto Ueida, and with those two it's all about tide paradoxes, and this is the second time that those two have worked together. Another shout out is a film called Beyond the Infinite two Minutes, But basically the narrative of this story is it's a a small little mountain resort community in Japan and where it's a lot it's pretty simple life day to day, and all of a sudden, with really no explanation, time starts resetting every two minutes, and so panic sets in. Everybody's trying to figure it out. But the interesting novelty of this film is that everybody retains the knowledge of the past two minutes even though two minutes is resetting. So it's very much a movie where they're problem solving and they only get two minutes to make a set forward with things, and then the two minutes resets, but they still remember what they did, so it's a constant rat race, is the best way to put it, where they learn all about themselves trying to get themselves out of this situation. But then also there's a weird tandem where they only have two minutes and it's resetting, they suddenly have all the time in the world. So there's a lot of interesting concepts there. So it's a fun film.
Speaker 2: And somehow been overlooked by a lot of people that, like played some festivals, did not get a lot of attention like Beyond the Infinite two Minutes did at first, And first off, I just love that the creative team worked together multiple times on a very similar idea. It made two very different movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they both deal with time concepts. But like I said, River is more the rat race kind of scenario, and then the other one, Beyond the Infinite two Minutes, works with it's more like I equate it to like the scientific theory kind of movie where they're doing a lot of science experiments and a lot of testing in the moment because it's all about something called the Drost effect, which is picture within picture within picture, and so Beyond the Infinite two Minutes is all about this weird echo chamber of time travel. And then this one is just like I said, retaining knowledge but then how to get themselves out of the situation. Yeah, it's the same thing but very different at the same time, and that's sort of what's the genius.
Speaker 2: About, which kind of works in with the storylines of what they're doing. It's literally eating the same thing, but just through a very different way. Tonight's tonight's discussion after the announcements is going to be a really fun one. We decided we were going to talk about just the overall theater experience, and Blake has some experience in experiences, so we're going to discuss with that framework, we're going to talk about what we could be doing in the near future to enhance the theater experience, what theaters could do to make this better for a lot of us, discuss things like D box and four d X and all this other stuff that they're trying. We're even going to talk about a filmmaker that I'm going to talk about now in my recent pickups on mister William Castle. So I don't share a lot of my vinegar syndrome stuff because I feel like everybody's getting it. But I feel like I got this pretty quick this month. So this is the brand new cinematograph. This is Shanks William Castle's last film, one that I've never seen. Definitely eager to check that one out. The other three here, I think, are the three from this month that I was most eager to check out and most eager to get first. I've been dying for a good Blu Ray release Murder Party since this movie came out. Jeremy Salny is one of my favorites, and to have this from a VS partner label as wild. If you've never seen this, this is definitely worth checking out. It's the guy that did Green Room, this year's Rebel Ridge. He did, oh gosh, the other Netflix Turn of the Dark, and that's not it? What am I thinking? I don't remember? Somebody will tell me the comments. Next one the found Footage Phenomenon. This is one that I've been wanting to see. It's directed by co directed by Phil Escott, who is a producer for Second Sight. He's the guy that owns Fractured Visions and the Cool Thing. One of my dear friends, mister Sam Cohen, has an essay in this one. It's his first written essay, so kudos to Sam. Hold the Dark? Is that what I said? That's pretty damn close. I don't understand. I can't believe I remembered that. Kyle. Thanks. And then finally my last pickup, I'll share corpse Mania. I am loving all the Hong Kong titles coming out of Vindger Centrom over the last couple of years. This is one that I wanted in high quality for a very long time. I will be watching this one very very soon. What about you, sir? What have you been oh Blue Ruin, that's not the great one from him? What have you been picking up lately? Because you get a lot of stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do have Vinegar Singer of on the way, so I got that one from Castle. It could show up today for all I know. Some of the hitters I got, like some big notable titles because I did get like there's been the Resense Keino sale and the Shout Factory Screen Factory Sale, which you can get a lot of back titles and bolts stuff like that. But some of the notables, like new releases. I'm excited digging to this. The House of Doom Set with Lindsey and Fulsey's gonna be a lot of fun in this one. Let's see, got the the Hollywood Hillside Strangler. Oh nice.
Speaker 2: I did not go for the limited slip, but man, I need to pick up this release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting. I heard from somebody the discord that it's a little bit different than what we're thinking. But that's a good thing. I think it was Adam h So I'm interested. You get into this one. Oh, everybody's showing this one off.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this thing's a brick.
Speaker 2: Oh, John's throwing shade at you, says he already went through the house as a doom set slacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he would he would. And then another brick is this thing which is from Umbrella and this thing is it's like the Super Mario set for those who have that thing. This thing is heavier than heavy.
Speaker 2: There's come damage because I know a lot of people are upset with it.
Speaker 3: No, this is pretty clean on all the corners and everything. And then a couple things from Arrow Let's see trick or treat. I've seen this thing a million times, but excited to see it in four K. And then the the j Horror Rising set. Excited about that thing. And then I guess lastly, which is an interesting title, but a lot of people are clamoring over it because I guess it was hard to get Yes, future cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still, as far as I saw, it was still in stock on Orbit. Okay, we're looking after that. Make sure you go to Orbit because it is out of print from Eureka. Let me make make sure while we're talking it is still in stock. Yeah, you can pick it up abbit right now.
Speaker 3: It says it's like an absurd. I've never seen it, but it says it's like an absurd. It's like street Fighter two yep kind of thing. So I'm all about it. So I'm definitely interested. So yeah, that's just a couple of things on top of like, you know, both the bulk you know, some bulk screen factory stuff like that, some back titles that are a lot of fun. Excited.
Speaker 2: So some recent watches for both of us. This week we watched in our house Women of the Hour, the brand new Anna Kendrick film for Netflix. It's about the the Dating Game killer, the guy that killed a bunch of people and went on the dating game and him eventually getting caught for directing debut, and she kind of killed it. She she did very well. She acted in it as well. Very very happy that we watched it. I thought it was pretty well done. Both of the leads did an incredible job. She is great, obviously, she's usually pretty amazing. But the lead that played the killer, I mean, unsettling the entire time, but also charismatic, like you expect somebody in a material killer position to be.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah. I've seen a couple of people review that on miner box. That's interesting. And then I've heard of that scenario previously like that character, so that'd be cool to look into for sure.
Speaker 2: Only other one I'll talk about is a nice bridge to yours because we both watched for tonight mattinay, I watched the Old Screen Factory Blu Ray and this movie is just so damn good. It might be my favorite Dante. Yeah, it is so fun, and I mean Goodman is crazy good in it. Yeah, the scenarios are wild. It's like, well, I was gonna say modern day William Castle, but nineteen fifty set William Castle and done in a way that is just the most huckster guy traveling from city to city that you can picture, trying to make every buck that he can, and that coupled with the nuclear bomb of it, all of what was going on then is such a perfect way to like set it in realism, but make it fun and interesting and make it like certain silly things that you could do with it. Yeah, it's it's a great film. If you've never seen Mattinee, anybody that loves movies should watch mattew It's absolutely that just cut and dry.
Speaker 3: It's like I equate it to like the B movie version of Sarah the Cinema Paradiso yep. And I've seen Mattinee countless times of my life, and I got the four K of it. Oh when it came out, I think it was about May June something like that, but I purposely sat on it for a while and I just watched it this week again, and yeah, I loved every bit of it, and and I love just revisiting it. And there's a lot of things that I noticed upon this round that I didn't notice before, and outside of just the typical John Goodman character, but like how Dante's sneaking in some stuff with the everyday life characters, especially to make it sort of like an atomic B movie kind of thing. So yeah, I absolutely love that movie. And it definitely got better this week, even though it was already a five star film for me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, absolutely had the four K on that one.
Speaker 3: Look, it looks great. I mean I would say that I'm pretty easy judge compared to some others where I'm just like, yeah, it looks great, but yeah, it looks it looks pretty fresh, pretty good.
Speaker 2: Not to like pre promote something, but I did want to shout out tonight. I posted it in the discord earlier. But anybody that is in any way nerdy about visual aspects for films or anything. Tomorrow's episode of The Deaf Crocodile Podcast is maybe one of the most important things that you could listen to over this year. We had a special guest on to fully just dedicate almost the entire episode to film restoration, and we go through like we go through the individual software that they use. We talk about what they do on a day to day basis, we talk about the threat of AI. There's all kinds of stuff that people are gonna love. It's not a super long episode, but it's one that you're going to probably want to even save and maybe listen to again. Lots of great information again, check it out tomorrow. Should be releasing about midday on the East Coast. I think you'll like it. But what else have you been watching?
Speaker 3: Let's see, so this week, I did you know one good shout out? I watched Dead of Night by Bob Clark Blue Underground just put that out a little bit ago, and I love that movie and it's sort of wildly buried in between. Bob Clark's an interesting character. And yeah, obviously we know Black Christmas and this is the movie that he did right before Black Christmas. But it's very interesting film that it's very simple in the sense that you don't really know a lot about the character, just that he's evil and apparently dead. But you have this whole fascinating family drama going on, and that's sort of the hidden gym of this film is you're just seeing the family dynamic and how it metaphors for probably a lot of realism with somebody who had somebody go away to war in Vietnam or just in general. So that movie is a lot more brilliant in a sense than just a standard horror film. Let's see here.
Speaker 2: I think it's the second best film easily to Black Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, he only did really three horror movies because he did Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, which I'll be honest, The beginning of that movie is a little bit of a drag. Actually, most of that movie is a little bit of a drag. But then the final part of it is like, you know, crazy, and it makes up for the entire rest of the film. But yeah, he Bob Clark's interesting that he did three movies in that genre and just said, all right, I'm going to do family stuff and then you make Christmas Story, which is amazing in its own right. He made two of the best Christmas movies of all time, back back in their polar opposites of each other. So yeah, yeah, Bob Clark, what's another. I'm trying to mix it up around hat Halloween season, hitting a bunch of different things. I did watch Darkwater, so I got a Jay horror in and this one was from back in two thousand and two. I saw the one that Jennifer Conley did that was like two thousand and five, I believe. But this guy, he's the same guy who originally directed Ringo or the original Japanese That one was pretty excellent as well. I think I might have seen snippets of it before, way back when when it was first released, but that was definitely an excellent revisit. Just the the perfect dynamic of how the Japanese create a horror movie that almost seems like it's steeped in like legend and or like folklore. Even though this is a movie that's that was like then set in a contemporary time, and even though it's you know, it's centered on like a murder that happened only in nineteen ninety nine and then they're figuring out the events in two thousand and two, it still it feels like you're watching some parable folk tale thing. So yeah, I definitely appreciated watching that one. What's another shout out, because I've watched quite a few this week?
Speaker 2: Of course, you.
Speaker 3: Know another one which I think this one is a good novelty film, and I bet you it's it's flown over as probably a piece of crud by many people. But I watched Man's Best Friend last night, and this is John Laffia who, although he's the person who coined Chucky, the name Chucky, he worked with Don Mancini and they wrote the first Child's play and then John directed Child's Play too. But he created this movie that's a year behind Beethoven, the family film Beethoven, and it's about this evil dog that is almost like he's cybernetic. He's like a terminator dog and he just goes around and just kills people. But the movie is so off kilter and it doesn't know how to like tonally that it's footing. But it's so weird in retrospect that I bet you, if plenty of people watch it now, would be a cult hit. At the time it's panned at the time, plenty of people say this is garb but yeah, it's they're sort of brilliant. So yeah, I had a lot of fun with that one just because of the audacity of it. But yeah, yeah, I could go on forever because I watched ten movies. But yeah, that's just a selection.
Speaker 2: On that note. If you are not following Blake on letterboxed, he is linked in the description below, and he is an incredible following letterboxed. He takes the time to research and write on every single thing that he watches. When I say right, I mean like five plus paragraphs usually, and done in a way that will entice you to watch almost everything. Because he's a very positive person, so he's a great follow He's one of those people that his reviews get so many likes that you start to get jealous. Definitely work to follow him.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Yeah, I'm definitely a bit on the positive spectrum. But I guess because you know, rating films is speculative and it's subjective, so you know, to each their own. My mentality is I sort of grade at like people great paid first, like if I was a teacher, and I just live in a world where you can give a lot of a's, so it's like all right. You know this movie did its job in the moment.
Speaker 2: So that's the roll speaking my language on a day that I had parent teacher conferences for my kid.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get into some movies after I highlight John's comment, because this is absolutely true. You watch movies to essentially like to watch movies.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly, exactly all right.
Speaker 2: We are starting with Imprint Asia. They announced during the show last week, since Sibner and I were on for almost five hours last dayDay. These are all coming on January eighth on Blu Ray in Australia. The first one, this is the Erotic Ghost Story Trilogy. They had revealed that this was coming again hardbox release, limited to fifteen hundred copies. They've got new special features on these. We've got new audio commentary from Ian Jane on the first one, new interview on the second one, Costume drama meets Category three. On the second one, we've got audio commentary by Keilen Modell, new interview with art director Raymond Lee and art assistant Cyrus Hoe, a new interview on that one as well. And then the third one we got another new commentary from Modell. New interview with the art assistant Cyrus Hoe. This has been released. It's coming out from Shout Factory now coming from Imprint, and I think eighty eight Films is doing it in December as well. Are you picking any of those up?
Speaker 3: I'm interested in for sure, because it's same directors Rick Riccio, at least the first one is I got to see if the same person did all three. I didn't look at that.
Speaker 2: I don't believe they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah that makes sense. But yeah, the first first film, same directors Riccio, and then Seventh Purse, which I love. Seventh Purse. It's one of the films I watched a few years ago that I was just like, this movie's off the wall. Ye, So yeah, for sure. I mean probably the easiest act. Excess one is maybe like the Shout Factory one. But I mean I'm all over the map, so I bounce between all regions, so who knows, whatever, whatever one comes my way in the best situation, right, Oh, what I'll grab.
Speaker 2: Next one from Imprint Asia is is You U's Train. This is from two thousand and two. This is a worldwide, first time on Blu. Ray gong Li is starring in this one and the important thing, no bonus features on this film, nothing at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one, I really didn't know a lot about it at all. I did look it up and somebody equated it to like a Douglas Search kind of melodrama. So that's a good siding point. But that's that's the extent of my knowledge on it. But hey, I'll take that well.
Speaker 2: And Gongley's great. Yeah, obviously. The final one from them is Yolo from twenty twenty four, again brand new worldwide, first on Blu Ray. This is the first release of it and again no bonus features whatsoever. And on a brand new movie, you would have done anything to have some special features. I guarantee the director wants to talk about it at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. Imprint's an interesting company. I have a few other stuff, but yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally get it. Uh but if man, this is gonna be a weird one to talk about. So we got coming on four K and Blu Ray in the UK soon from Hammer Films themselves Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter. This is coming for the first time anywhere on four K. But what's crazy is this film is getting a five disc release two four k's three Blu rays with the content duplicated across both formats, and when we were just talking about Imprint not having any special features, this has like literally anything you could possibly ask for on this release. Thrown on here. It looks like a great, solid, really nice physical media package. But this also is kind of like an under It's it's like the not not bottom chier. I'd say it's more like mid tier Hammer Films. And the fact that they're putting this one out in a five years release, I mean, they're gonna do a lot.
Speaker 3: They're going all in on this thing. This thing, it's this movie is interesting. Not gonna lie speaking about recent watches. I actually watched this movie yesterday, right, and because I found it in like the Scream Screen Factory version, you know, just in the bundle of Mini and I hadn't seen this before this one. It's it's weird. It's sort of like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. But that's not necessarily a bad thing like it would usually be, right because I can see this movie as sort of a template for a lot of the later on action narrative like Vampire or just crypto movies in general, because this guy, he's very much like a swashbuckler and he's going after fighting these vampires and it's very dry in Hammer fashion. But once it starts going, it gets going. I could see a lot of fandom from the adventure fans getting in this one, so it's an interesting watch. I definitely recommend it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, for sure, this one has probably been a good ten or twelve years since I've watched this. But just like Paul said in the comments, there are so many other Hammer films I'd much rather get this type of release first than this one. And I'm not saying at all that this means it's replacing those This was probably just more recently restored or somebody else had already started a restoration or something and they said, oh, I know what we can do to save some money. And now the hard part is this is going to come out, and it's going to be a very expensive release. There's no way you release all of this without it costs probably more than one hundred dollars plus shipping. And the fact that they're doing this for a mid tier Hammer. Some of the bigger Hammer films are gonna get even bigger releases than this, probably. So. In other words, if you love Hammer, get ready to open your wallet a lot because they're willing to go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you said it was Hammer directly doing this, so they probably live in a little bit of an echo chamber, probably saying, oh, we got all this, and they they probably love it way more than the average person, even though there is a lot of fandom for this thing, so of course they're throwing it all in with this being sort of their first big release and then so it's it's an experiment.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we'll see what they do next. This thing will go up for pre order on their website on Halloween and then we'll find out more about the price and all that that stuff. Yeah, Vampire Lovers is another one that definitely needs to be released for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next is we got word from Second Site that they are putting out The House of the Devil on Blue Here soon. This is one that I believe I called a couple months ago saying I think Second Site will likely be putting this out soon, so I'm glad to see that come true. This is a great movie. I genuinely really like this one. I think I like this one more than most. How do you feel about this one.
Speaker 3: I do need to see it. I'm lacking in some of my thy West department because I've really only seen X and Pearl. So yeah, I know this is an early one, like nine something like that.
Speaker 2: I think, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh nine. Yeah, that's a it's a really it's a weird one, but I think you'll like it. Greta Gerwig is great in it. For like a couple of minutes. This movie's great. I think people are gonna love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Perfect. I mean, I'll definitely catch out for sure.
Speaker 2: Next one, Keno announced that they are doing The Great Gatsby from nineteen forty nine on Blu Ray soon. This is from a four K scan of the OCN and it's probably the exact same release that Imprint did last year. Interesting movie. Not my favorite Gatsby, but I think people that have never seen they're gonna be happy with it. This is only the second HD release Imprint had the first one, so I think if you've never seen it, it's a good one to check out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I enjoy Alden Ladd in movies. I watched Like the Glass Be a little while back. That's a good one. I sort of cracked up when I looked at this and it said it's also in the Dark Side of Cinema box set whatever. Yep, And we're at the point where it's like, is there more box sets or super Bowls? Like when you get to the Roman numeral gibberish and it's like you just start to give up on counting it all, you know, that's what twenty.
Speaker 2: Six, twenty six. Yeah, this will also be in the twenty six film Noir box from Kinos, So they think this is enough for people to purchase standalone and uh, one in the box set for others. So they must have a lot of faith in this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a while. Gatsby a nor I don't know, they're just sort of throwing anything in there, so ish maybe all right, it's been a while.
Speaker 2: It's just dowlan led so it must be in one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. That works.
Speaker 2: Uh, next one. Keno is also putting out Shout at the Devil from nineteen seventy six. This is coming. On December seventeenth, we had a new audio commentary by Lee Marvin, biographer Dwayne Epstein and Steve Mitchell accompanying him. Uh, this is a good looking cover.
Speaker 3: I'll definitely yeah, Yeah, this is definitely a film that I would probably get in the Keno's.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is that type of film for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks interesting. It's the same director as in Her Majesty's Secret Service, I think, right, I think so. Yeah, Yeah it's James Bond. That's the one with Lazin be So everybody sort of forgets that one, right, But yeah, it looks interesting. I lee Marvin's a good time. So yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Love of these comments. Keynot should start advertising Roman Numerals as.
Speaker 3: A feature, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: They also announced Hyperspace coming on three D Blu ray. This is from nineteen eighty four. This was starring Chris Elliott and Paula Poundstone, shot by Earl Dixon, directed by Todd Durham, and it says the special edition release also includes the nineteen eighty four three D short film The Fright Before Christmas that a lot of people have been after. So this looks to be a pretty great, like comprehensive disc. Anything that three D Film Archive touches is like really high quality. Definitely suggests people check this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I watched a little trailer of this because I didn't know much about it. I watched the little trailer and it I mean, it looks it looks dumb, but it looks dumb fun, So it's definitely up my alley. It reminded me of MBD put out Hardware Wars earlier this year, which I definitely recommend that as well, because that's just a lot of fun. So this is the same vein for sure. Yeah, definitely worth your time.
Speaker 2: Yep. Definitely one that if you are into Star Wars, you're gonna want to watch this. Yeah, yeah, all right, going to our next one, which is a big deal November twenty sixth, but also if you order from their website at shipping now. Media Blasters is releasing a four K and Blu ray release of Photo the New Generation from nineteen ninety six. This is not only Media blasters first four K release ever, this is the first Takashi mik film on four K ever. Really super surprising that this is the first one. I would have thought that some of the others may have made the joke first, but either way, I'm glad this is coming. We got brand new four K restoration on this. Some audio commentaries, video interviews with Mik and the actor Shosa K. Teddy Hara And there is a side exclusive version with a slipcover if you want, but you can also get it on Amazon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would have thought Aro would have jumped on something and put out a four K like Audition or Audition. Yeah yeah, or Ichi the Killer or I don't know who have the rights of that one, but that, for sure is some of the more main mainstay ones. I've never seen this one by him, but I've seen quite a few of his mainstay ones. This one definitely what's interesting for sure. I watched the trailer of it.
Speaker 2: I've not seen this one either. I'm interested in checking it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A lot of people on the letterbox said that it's really trashy, which I mean, that's like half his films, But you know, they said, but it's in a good sense trashy.
Speaker 2: So that's me k.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next is VCI putting out two poverty row films on one disc. We got King of the Zombies from nineteen forty one and Miss v from Moscow from nineteen forty two. Is VCI, So first of all, keep that in mind. But the other thing, like, yes, I understand that these are attached by Poverty Row. These films aren't really anything like each other. Yeah, and both of these movies are on YouTube in decent quality. This is a really odd choice unless they have a new restoration and they're not advertising that. But even then, again, really weird double feature.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably like King and Zombies probably has more of a draw and they probably were sitting on the other one and just said, ah, let's just throw it in there.
Speaker 2: Yet something like that. They must have had the ability to do it. I don't know. Anyways, you can check that out. This is coming January twenty first on Blu Ray from VCI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the real cook on King is Zombi. The director's interesting. I watched Hill Billy's in a Haunted House the other day. That's from the same guy, So it's it's gonna be schlocky and anything from Poverty Row, you know is, But yeah, it'll be fine from the enthusiasts for sure.
Speaker 2: I love that. Gym on Facebook says quote classics. Yeah, Silent Mandil says, is there a mister V I mean, technically, I guess me.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: Two Poverty Row picks on one disc from VCI. That's three bad signs. In one sentence. I couldn't have said it better myself. Yeah, although I believe these are both fairly short movies like how Ish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: The next coming soon on four K steel book in the UK and likely the US and everywhere else right around the same time. Yeah, from Warner Brothers Constantine from two thousand and five. This will be a big twentieth anniversary release. This is going to be having a rigid slipcase, a steal book, double sided posters, art cards they save on disc. Special features to be confirmed. I hope. I mean, like Keanu loves this movie. I'm sure he would have loved to talk about it. We'll see if we at anything. But the thing that I'm gonna bring up again Warner Brothers doing this whole We're gonna make you pre order something without knowing the artwork, without knowing when it's in a ship, and that is such a dirty way to do this in twenty twenty four. Just get your shit together and then put it up for pre order like everyone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they need to get on Hammer's level. Caps. Yeah. So yeah, Connstein's a good time. I remember seeing it way back when I've seen this thing so many Times own multiple copies of it. I for sure enjoy this film and will definitely upgrade for sure. It's a fun time. Yeah. I don't know about the comic book enthusiasts, and he's definitely sort of strayed from the character a little bit, but I I, you know, it's fine for me. I enjoy it quite a bit. So it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: And the other thing like, if the restoration is done right, this with HDR could look very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, this thing's a blast.
Speaker 2: Sibboners says they've already confirmed Constantine tou so just wait to build on the hype. Was that confirmed? I thought it was just a semi rumored and like Keanu trying to get it interesting. I didn't know it was confirmed.
Speaker 3: They're gonna bring everybody back? Are they gonna tie down shil above?
Speaker 2: Uh? This is pointless now because you can't use it. But the Criterion Collection had their fall flash sale like they always do. Usually it would have been the previous week, but the flash sale day would have landed on the new announcement day, so they delayed it a week to do this. Did you get anything in this one?
Speaker 3: Uh? Gummo happiness real quick. I can, I can wait until the Barns sale. But I think it's good for what it is. A lot of people are sitting on their their coupons and so it's a good time to use it. And I get that Criterion sort of wants to get their own piece of action before Barnes and Noble probably takes a chunk of it. So it totally makes sense. With the sale, I just sort of got it and got out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Eric got the Before trilogy. Good job, that's a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: I'd still got plenty from this summer sale that I gotta watch. So it's like, I can, I can wait a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's stand on. Constantine says nothing is ever confirmed. Just ask Joaquin Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, true che Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. Manda Micabre's Halloween sale is currently live. This is live until October twenty seventh. The pre orders that are available as well are Cafe Flesh on four K, Bohachi Bushido on four K, The Girl Slaves of Morgana La Fe on four K, and The Punishment. You can still pre order off our four of those as far as I know. However, Uh, this has done oh so well for Monta Micabro. Yeah, Cafe Flesh is almost sold out already, Jared. If you listen to the Mona Micabre podcast episode that went up earlier this week, he's said that this should be available for a month or so at the very least, and it looks like Cafe Flesh will likely sell out tonight or tomorrow morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I loved Doctor Calgary and so I was obviously Cafe Flesh right off the bat. I'm sold on that whole crazy wonky all the above. So yeah, I got to pick a few things from this. I'm one of the sections of my collection that I definitely need to catch up to speed on is Mondo Macabre. So I definitely put a little bit of a dent. Not crazy, but I definitely want to catch up to speed with him. So I grabbed a couple from this one. So I got, like, uh, what I get? Killer Dolls. I guess a lot of people are talking about that one, and yeah, blood Spattered Bride and Beast of the Magic Sword looked crazy. Yeah, yeah, it'll be fun time. So for sure.
Speaker 2: We got a question here from Seminary, says Ryan, do they confirm how many copies were done? Yes, they did for all of the titles, but Hachi Bushido and Cafe Flesh were both two thousand copies, and I believe Morgana la Fay and The Punishment were both fifteen hundred. I may be wrong on Morgana la Fae, but it is on the site. Let me see if I can look that up before I say the wrong thing. It is two thousand copies, so I was wrong. Yeah, Morgano la Fay also two thousand copies. But the big thing, all of these will have standard copies. If you don't want you know, the booklet or the slipcover or anything like that, just wait. It'll be back in stock for the retail edition. It'll likely not be in stock until like April or May, so as long as you have no problem waiting, you'll still be able to get them. Don't worry. Yeah, this is, like I said, available till the twenty seventh. Check it out, and if you want Cafe Flesh, sooner than later. Although keep in mind the brand new four titles are not shipping until January, so if you want sale titles as well, you might want to do two orders.
Speaker 3: Yeah that makes sense. I'm good, I got playing to watch, but yeah, through it all in one file, but I'm good it'll be a good surprise couple of months from now.
Speaker 2: And agree with jim Mondo rules. They speak to my taste almost exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, definitely a lot of fun. I'm definitely happy that I'm catching up speed with them.
Speaker 2: Next one is another piece of important news. This is just kind of a reminder that Something Weird Video is shutting down the downloads and the DVD rs that they've been selling from their websites. You can only get that until Halloween, which means you only got one more week. As of the time of this recording. The website is not going away. Something Weird is not going away. It's just the dvdrs and the downloads. They're still going to be doing like restorate with other companies, still going to be selling some of those Blu ray discs and all that. Just the dvd rs and the downloads are going away. Lisa will always be a part of this, I'm sure. The big thing is they weren't selling very many, so they said, why are we keeping this available and making it a headache for us? So they're just cutting this out. But they announced it very far in advance, so that everybody could have a chance to get what they wanted. It's a great deal. If you want your stuff, get in there and do it. However, you only have a week left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I wandered around in there, looked at it. It was fun stuff. I have a lot of their stuff on physical media. But yeah, I appreciate the work that they're doing. And yeah, for sure, there's a lot of weird, crazy stuff there.
Speaker 2: It's true, there's a lot of lot of weird things. As they said, the big thing is that their partnerships are amazing. I mean the stuff they do with the AGFA, the Kino discs that they've got, They've worked with a handful of others. It's it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a whole pile of those Kino like the Drugs films and all those that. Yep, someday it's a project of mine to like watch them all in order. So there's like thirteen editions of them sitting there. Who knows, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Well now I think they're up to seventeen or eighteen, so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I'm missing a few, but yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, Next up, I put a new interview up on the channel with Eugenio Eklani. He is the on the Grand producer who goes between Rome and London and helps like every company out there. Basically, he is one of the most knowledgeable people in physical media. And I'm really happy with this conversation. I hope people check it out. He we get into some like existential stuff about his purpose in life and talk about how much he's contributed to over the last year and what makes him happy. And it's just it's great to see somebody that is truly passionate about all of these films like we all are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Going to our next one. I'm stoke. This is getting released November nineteenth. Frago Rock Back to the Rock Season one is getting a physical media release from Sony Pictures. Kind of surprising. This was a streaming only title and now here here it is. This This season had a lot of like special guest We've got Davd Diggs that was on it, Ed Helm's, Patty LaBelle Keenan Thompson, Cynthia Revo, the Foo Fighters. But I know that they're looked down on at the moment. Anyways, frag of Rock Back to the Rock, I mean it's a handsome thing. Everybody should love it. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's I mean, it's good to see stuff like this get physical release because it's sorted in the streaming only land. At least that's what people would pragmatically think prior, where it's sort of set it and then forget it kind of thing. Obviously, I haven't seen this one. I've seen obviously the original show plenty of times. Right, But yeah, definitely it'd be an interesting watch to see. But yeah, I like that. This is a good sign in general that a lot of the stuff that would just be a quick gimmick and then thrown out the window was definitely being put out there.
Speaker 2: Agreed there, Uh, never let go. This is the newest halle Berry film. This was directed by Alexandra Aja. This is coming on Blu Ray DVD from lions Gate on December third. No word on special features yet, but it's lions Gates, so I really wouldn't expect very much that their new stuff they don't put a lot into unfortunately, But I've heard really good things about this one. Did you go see this one?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, I haven't. Was this was it primarily on streaming or was it? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like this was a theatrical release, but I'm not sure was it.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, I have I'm a little rusty on some of these, but yeah, I mean I know the director obviously from the French extremity stuff. I've seen that plenty of times. What's it called it's leaving my mind at the second high tension? Yeah, I've seen that plenty of times. But yeah, it looks in interesting. It's one that maybe I would run into randomly. Oh, I guess it's a Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a Netflix movie, So I guess the.
Speaker 3: Same going with Fraggle Rock there is you know what, I'm glad that this has got a physical format for the one person out there that definitely wants it for sure.
Speaker 2: Next up is a White Bird. This is from this year, also coming on Blue Rain DVD on December third, from Lionsgate. This is with Helen Mirren and this is from the same person that wrote Wonder. The book Wonder I'm supposed to be like a inspirational story. I've somehow heard that this is pretty good too, huh.
Speaker 3: I think I remember Wonder that was a movie. Julie Roberts was in that thing.
Speaker 2: I think it's been a while it was Zach Braff, I know that, yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: It's it was like a heartwarming film about kid has physical deformity, and then you know they're talking about the power of I Forget. But yeah, yeah, I think I remember that being a decent film. It's been a while, so yeah, this looks interesting.
Speaker 2: Sibbonar says it's a prequel to Wonder. Oh okay, I didn't realize they were connected. That's interesting. Alrighty. Next Dark Side Releasing is putting out well, you can purchase it now. Actually, it's out now Blu Ray for Dead Name from twenty twenty four. This is a movie that is directed by Warren Badensky, and it's got an audio commentary on it and Sympathy's Fall of Rude and music video some interviews with the cast and crew. Looks like a fairly indie horror.
Speaker 3: Ah. This is not a prequel to.
Speaker 2: Wonder, Probably not, I mean with this cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huh, yeah, I've never heard of that company. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Keno putting out Mister Monk's Last Case a Monk movie. This is coming on December seventeenth. The extras get it's an internet and TV spot and that's it. I'm kind of kind of surprised they didn't do anything for this at all, like get Tony Shalaloub to comment on his long career on this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. If there's one thing that Keino's doing, it's the dark side of film noir and Monk seasons.
Speaker 2: This should be the end of it, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But you know, I'm glad to see it. I've I've enjoyed Monk like the next person on syndicated television, so I haven't been a crazy fan, but I enjoy it for what it is. I randomly saw Tony Shaloub in an airport once, but that's it.
Speaker 2: Yet another streaming movie that is coming to physical as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good to see it.
Speaker 2: Next is The Killer Is Loose. Speaking of good Kino art, this one is great. Yeah. December seventeenth. This is coming on Blu Ray. This is from nineteen fifty six, starring Joseph Cotton, directed by the one and only Bud Betteker and we got a commentary on here by Gary Garani and a trailer. This is like an exact what we were saying earlier. This is a when there's a keynosale, I am picking this up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, for sure, I'm definitely interested. I am sitting on Baker's his Western set from Criterion, and part of me is crazy in the sense that I have intentions to watch an entire box set from front to back, and that's the only reason why I haven't gotten to it yet, even though it's four films and they are not that long. But I need to just sit down and watch that thing. But yeah, I know that, just like I would love those films, I'm gonna love this film because there's just a sense of how he makes films and like they're sort of little gritty be kind of movies, but they're fun in their novelty kind of sense. Yeah, I'm all about this one.
Speaker 2: Indeed. Next one, December seventeenth, Umbrella is giving Terrifier. This is such a crazy release. They are doing a box set with so much we're gonna get into. First thing is where do they get into the details here. This comprehensive set includes Terrifier, Terrifier two and Terrifier three on four K, and the anthology prequel film All Hollows Eve, so you get everything art the clown Possible all coming in this box set. This is the first time anywhere in the world that the first film has been on four K, So if you are four K rider, die, this is finally the one for you. There was a steable announced in the UK, but it got delayed and then delayed again, and it might be coming next year or who knows, but this is already I think the fourth or fifth release I've talked about for Terrifier. So I do want to say to everybody, this is going to be the most exploited title and series in physical media in modern horror for the next handful of years. This is going to be the big one. This set has, like I said, all the films four K and then the anthology prequel on Blu Ray and the exclusive version from the Umbrella Store has an one hundred and eighty piece brick set. They can't call them legos because they're off brand legos. Yeah, they've got there you go. Terrifier three VHS, two hundred and fifty plus page book, behind the scenes experiences and art with written content from a handful of people, custom artwork, rigid slipcase arts, Christmas sunglasses, twelve art cards, two reversible posters, and then it is their limited edition numbered release This has everything you could possibly want. There are exclusive features for Terrifier three, so if you really love this movie, this might be the release to get because nobody else is going to have those bonus features. This is a crazy release, and I gotta be honest. I talk about bad pricing a lot on here. The fact that this comes out to only I think one hundred and thirty five dollars US before shipping, Like, if you buy anything else for five dollars, you get free shipping, But one hundred and thirty five dollars for this entire bundle is kind of a pretty great price.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's gonna be like what was it that Collegio set this brick times three?
Speaker 2: The crazy thing though, Uh, They've already announced a fourth film, So for me, I would never buy this box set because I know there's more coming and they've even hinted they might be a fifth one. So I mean, do you want to go all in and buy a box set every time? Do you want to you know, get the exclusives and sell the box set of the movies and buy the next box set? Who knows. I'm not gonna tell you either way, but this is wild, Like there are so many people in the mainstream world that love Terrifier right now that are buying this just because it's the best looking release of Terrifier. They're going to sell a metric shit ton of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they needed they need to pull a Charles Band and like full Moon and then like they give you like the evil Bong box that but then they say, hey, look there's like ninety of these coming, and so they leave like this whole cardboard like half empty, so you can put your additional evil bong movies in there. That's what they need to do with Just geez. Yeah, this movie is the movie that will never quit. You know, I'm all four people who enjoy it. I like it to a degree. I've seen the first one. In the second one once a piece. I still need to see that. The first one. That's like an anthology. It gets a little taxing after a while. I definitely like the gore and the physical effects. I think it's a celebration of that. Do I think it's in its head a little bit too much? Yeah? Probably, for sure.
Speaker 2: It's up something a little too.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. It's it's definitely huff in a little bit too much of its own fumes. But you know, there's gonna be some people that, you know, love the movies and it's all for it, you know. So yeah, I'm not I'm not opposed to rewatching as well. So I don't hate them. It's just I'm not crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I literally the exact same feelings. I do not hate them, I don't certainly don't love them. I have never once had a desire to go throw on a terrifier film. I'm very happy that they have made practical effects an important part of the series. I'm also very happy that a basically a tiny budget Christmas set really gruesome horror slasher it was the top film at the box office for a weekend. That sends a lot of shockwaves through the industry. As many people don't think that's a big deal, it truly is. I'm I'm stoked for Damian Leoni. I just don't really care about the movies all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's its own celebration. I'll never really put it down. Yeah, like I said, I think it's huffing a little bit too much of its own fumes. But you know, I enjoy it at the end of the day for what it is.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is if this isn't enough Terrifier for you, Umbrella has shirts for a pre order right now, They have art wrapping paper. They even have a shirt that they're not revealing the design, saying it's too gruesome, and one of the like subtitle for it says who would even wear this? Seriously? But that's crazy to me that you can pre order it without even knowing the design. Yeah, I love the Umbrella's doing it. They are all in on it. I think that this is going to be if you love Terrifyer your favorite release probably well.
Speaker 3: And it fits in with the theme of like its film as an event right oh you know, and definitely not might pop up later on, but you know, more power to it for what.
Speaker 2: It's doing, all right. Next up, Celluloid Dreams has announced their next title that's coming out on four K, and that a short Night of Glass Dolls from nineteen seventy one. This is a hiallo film that was previously released by Twilight Time. Has been out of print for some time, but it's also not that out of reach. I know a lot of Twilight Time films have exploded in value and you can't find them for like less than one hundred and twenty dollars. This one is still pretty gettable. However, it was a decent Blu ray release. I was hoping for a little more obscure from them, like when they announced Black Belly the Tarantula that was the kind of obscure I was really hoping for. This is fine, it's a good movie. I'm glad that it's coming, and we'll probably get a gorgeous four K release that's you know, some big three or four disc release with art cards the size of surfboards and everybody will be super happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I still have a case of the bloody iris I gotta get too, But yeah, I definitely appreciate it for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you are easy on four K transfers, I will say that is genuinely one of the best four K transfers the last two years. It is.
Speaker 3: The dinner plates that they brought with it too, But you know, that's appreciate. Somebody's gonna frame those and yeah put them up or something. So yeah, definitely I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: Silent Man, his glass night of short dolls is better.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I love all of these random puns about Terrifier releases that we could get like Arts European Vacation art and space.
Speaker 3: That'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Make him like National Lampoon I overs yeah.
Speaker 2: Art meets Winnie the Pooh.
Speaker 3: Yeah they I mean just make them till end of time. That if that if that's the shock that the film industry needs to keep going thirty years time and it's only art the clown movies.
Speaker 2: Well, David Everard Thornton will be They'll just his face will be stuck.
Speaker 3: Like terrorfire Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh jeez, terrifier for Tokyo Drift. Look at that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Eureka put out a couple announcements today. First one is running on Karma. This is coming from their Masters of Cinema line on Blu Ray on January twenty seventh. But the cool thing this is available in the UK and North America. Glad that they are still taking advantage of what they're doing in the US and Canada. This one is directed by Johnny Toe, a name that many people have been in physical media for the last couple of years will recognize once again. Limited to two thousand copies, it's got a slipcover on it. It's got the new audio commentary by Frank Jang and FJ. DeSanto on this new interview with Gary Bettenson, the editor in chief of Asian Cinema Journal, some archival making of featurettes and trailers, and a collector's booklet with a new essay by David West. I've not seen this one, but Johnny Toe is a hell of a good film.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, throw downs a good time. Yeah, it looks interesting. It looks like a newer movie. I like I said, I haven't seen it either, but yeah, looks interesting for sure.
Speaker 2: And in the discord earlier Craig Craig says, man, that guy is yoked or whatever he said, buffed something. Yeah, this guy's ripped. The muscles on this guy are crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the bigger deal from Eureka over in the UK they are getting not a Kira Kiyoshi Kurasawa's Cure from nineteen ninety seven coming on four K. This is also still part of their Master's the Cinema line, since this has been released by them previously, and this has archival interviews with Kyoshi and then Kim Newman on Cure, interview with a critic and out there Kim Newman a collector's booklet with essays on Cure by Tom mess This movie will look beautiful swollen, that's the word you used. Cure will look beautiful on four K. Gary, glad this is coming out. Slip on. This looks great. It's cue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably a precursor that it's coming four K out on this side of things as.
Speaker 2: Well, Criteria definitely released it on four K.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a great film. Everybody who's seen here probably agrees that the film's excellent. It's been a bit, but definitely I want to revisit this thing. It's definitely a gritty I was looking back at my review of it because I I'm sort of fuzzy on it because it's been a couple of years. But somehow I put the equation of seven Meats Stocker like Tarcassi Stoker, and so that just like reinvigorated in my brain again that yeah, I definitely want to rewatch here. But yeah, I just remember loving this thing when I watched it.
Speaker 2: I am the lone outcast idiot. I will say I've watched this once and it did nothing for me. I really need to see it again. I feel like I just went into it on a bad day and I'll probably love it on the second watch. But man, I don't get the hype for this movie at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's been a while. Like I said, I'm Buzzney, but I just remember in the moment it's very atmosphere. So I definitely agree. Like if you walk into it on and off day and you're not like not to say, you're not fully engaged or you know, whatever, is off to slightly a degree, I totally can see that that happening. But yeah, I mean just full with full buy in this movie. S nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like this is one that you got to watch in the dark room, no phones, nobody else around other than you know, somebody else, silent on the couch. This is definitely one that you got.
Speaker 3: To be all in onf Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Similar Shaw Shank is a classic. I get it. It's just overrated, That's okay. Then, the third wave of Disney Steel books got announced today, and we got some weird things happening here. First off, all these come out on December third. The press release for these doesn't say anything about Blu Ray this time, so all I see is that the are coming out on four K, not on Blu Ray potentially. But also it's Disney, they could change their minds in the middle of the night and do the same thing. The should all go up for pre order by the end of next week everywhere. These are not exclusives anywhere, and all of these releases are two hundred gig discs and they all have Dolby Vision and HDR ten, which is a great sign for Disney because they were not embracing Dolby Vision for the longest time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Disney is smelling some of the copy that they need to get back into physical media a little bit. They're so all over the map and temperamental in their thoughts stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're gonna talk about Disney later, right, Blake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this first one is the Mandalorian, the complete third season. Now, a lot of people complaining because they announced this. They did not announce the Book of Boba Fett, which should have been the next one to come out in this saga. But here we are, Sibner. Remember when Disney said they would never put out a four K again. No, but I remember when a YouTuber who has no idea what he's talking about made the Internet think that was the case. Ronnie says, I'm Dying for Nagata all along physical release. I hope they get to all of them eventually. I mean for people that love Marvel stuff, which I've never hated Marvel stuff. Sure, I don't love the current wave, but if you love Marvel like yeat release them all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just ebbs and flows and saturation. But yeah, there's a lot of good ERRt there for sure, and I want to see the fans get their their physical copies exactly.
Speaker 2: So that is season three of The Mandalorian. There's gonna be some bonus features on here as well. There's a tribute to Carl Weathers, the creatures and droids of the Mandalorian, and then some forgetting Forging the Covert. Part three, Jon Favreau and a couple other of the filmmakers explore the expanding world of season three's Mandalorian Warriors. Then the next Star Wars one they announced is Ahsoka the complete first season. This is gonna have some bonus features as well, joining the cast and crew for a look at their developing live action series, exploring the dynamic of Anakin Skywalker in Ahsoka within the world, Go Deep with the spotlight on Ahsoka's allies, and then uncover the secrets of Ahsoka's foes. Third one is the first Marvel one of this one. We got Hawkeye the complete first season. This has all kinds of deleted scenes on here, plus a gag reel Tale of Two Hawkeyes featurette and then the making of Hawkeye. And finally we are also getting Loki the complete second season. This is the only one, by the way, that will be in a two point two to one aspect ratio rather than two point three to nine to one like the others. This will have again some deleted scenes assembled, the making of a gag reel and all that stuff. You're gonna pick any of these up?
Speaker 3: Uh? I don't know. Maybe in the distant future. I'm you know, I've actually never seen an episode of Mandalorian, which is crazy, except heard a lot of good things about I've seen a little bit of Loki. Eventually I might get there. I'm so backlogged and doing all kinds of crazy old cult films that maybe in the future I'll get there again. But yeah, we'll see. I'm not against them.
Speaker 2: Let's see Jack Black and Lizzo included. They need people to catch up on the Mandalorian for the movie true true, Yeah, definitely not releasing in Australia because there's no more Disney in Australia. Then just got a few more left. We're already almost done with the announcements, which is wild. November nineteenth, Magnolia is releasing Yoshiki Under the Sky. This is from twenty twenty three and is a music documentary featuring the world renowned rock star and composer leading a global concert featuring today's top musical artists like The Chainsmokers, Saint Vincent and more. Yeah, not many things released like this. This is pretty cool that this is and release.
Speaker 3: It was like a good concert on Blu ray, so it's a good time. So that's all on that one.
Speaker 2: Same next, Mill Creek doing their next Ultraman thing. I believe these were web series and did not get released elsewhere. December tenth, there is a Blu Ray coming of Ultra Galaxy Fight Series one through three and Ultraman Regulos First Mission. Supposedly these are really high quality and if you love Ultraman, mill Creek has been killing it over the last At this point we're talking like five years for what they've done for Ultraman, So check it out.
Speaker 3: You know, mal Creek. I mean, they're fine for being some of the bargain bin kind of stuff, but I enjoyed when I get a title from them on so I you know, I'm very lacking in the ultraman department, but yeah, I enjoy like their little retro vhs cover stuff like that. So it's a good time to come across some random old movie from them.
Speaker 2: And they look great on Blu ray too.
Speaker 3: Will say, yeah, they're good for their value for sure.
Speaker 2: And then I think we got two more left. December eighth, on four K Blu Rain DVD from Loma Vista Recordings. Ghost right here, right now. This is for the band Ghost. It is a film plus bonus content. We got Q and A's with some of the band and some others. The Future is a forid Land animated music video and the webisode series chapters one through twenty eight. Not a lot of bands doing releases like this, which is why I wanted to make sure that we highlighted it. I know a lot of friends who love Ghosts. Yeah, my mom' saw Ghost live. But yeah, this is pretty cool if you're a fan of Ghost.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, I think we have one yep, last one. I didn't know this existed until today. Fabulous Films over in the UK is releasing Taken the complete series on December ninth on Blu Ray. This is from twenty seventeen to twenty nineteen. It has two seasons that it did. And yeah, they made it a Taken TV show and it's based on Liam Neeson's character, who is young, younger than his actual character, Otherwise they would have to shoot this in nine thousand takes like they did the films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've never heard of this. I mean, I've heard of the movie, but yeah, I didn't know either that this existed. But more power to the people enjoy it for sure.
Speaker 2: That is it. I just saw on the top that said from producer Luke Passant, that's yeah, that's weird speed Yeah, yeah, I can see that as a reminder for what we are releasing next week, just in case you forgot Zodiac on four K, trick or treat four K like Blake already showed us Dragged Me to Hell four K from Scream Adam's Family Values four K. We got that colligular set coming from that one company that I'm not gonna name anymore. Jay, Horror Rising from Arrow Shocker, four K from Screen Factory. Doctor SEUs is How the Grinch Stole Christmas four K, lots of four K releases, The die Gothic set from Radiance that I got to get my hands on. I need that box set for sure. Warner Archives, The Walking Dead and the Return of Doctor X. The Classic Ghosts from Keno. That's definitely what I wanted. All of the standard releases from Vinegar Syndrome for this month, and a couple from seven look like they're getting their retail street date next week. The Beast with Five Fingers from Warner Archive, elvem Piro two blood Sucking Tales from Mexico from Indicator. Let's see Dogra Magra from Radiance which is supposed to be great, Lauren Hardy or two from Flicker Rally fil Noir. The Dark Side is in the twenty two perfect timing. Yeah, top copy from Keno Lorber for your consideration from Warner Archive. Man, this is a big week. Yeah, Any of these so far catching your eye?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I love for your consideration any Christopher Guests movie. I love those movies absolutely trying to think of it. I mean a lot of them, I see like a lot of the vinegar Syndrome seven stuff. But ah, and then the arrow ones that I have, But it looks like there's I mean, Chakra was a cool one. I'll upgrade that one when it goes on sale. I have a slew of radiance things coming my way, and I might have Doggar Magrath in there, so I have to see what's in that chunk. But yeah, there's some good stuff coming out.
Speaker 2: For sure. Jeff says Blake has never said anything bad about her release. Is that true, Blake, that's not true. Ask about that one MVD rewind title and Blake will slam it to hell.
Speaker 3: Oh what was that thing? Oh like the last BHS or the first v VCR.
Speaker 2: No, No, I enjoyed the ride MVD rewind.
Speaker 3: It was Oh, Hail Caesar.
Speaker 2: Hail Caesar. That's the one.
Speaker 3: Oh that thing is ai. It's actually it's actually so much of a travesty that it was sort of like a brain melt watching it. Like they could have like promoted that it's so bad on the cover, like, hey, you want to watch the worst blu ray ever made? Watch this?
Speaker 2: Then? Yeah, some I have not named yet. We should finish these real quick. Sorry, Baby Blood four K from Keno, Deadly Circuit four K or not four K? Just blu Ray from Keno d D is coming as well Man called Shenandoa from Warner Archive. Enough Rope from Keno, Sweethearts from Warner Archive. Uh krack coon if you were after that one. The Heidi Ho in the Boardinghouse Blues from Keno is also on the way. The Falling Star from Keno. That's a lot of Keno in one week. All right, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: All that text chainsaws, I mean there's a prellion of them, but I saw pictures online and so we had it, and it's like a full sized physical chainsaw. It doesn't it doesn't provoke me to get it because I got the second site one.
Speaker 2: But well, it also must not have sold well because it was only listed on the Dark Sky website and now it's on Amazon, and it was three hundred on the Dark Sky site, it is four hundred on Amazon.
Speaker 3: I think plenty of people will get it enthusia. The same people buy an umbrella Terrorizer terrifire sets, they're gonna buy Terrorizer terrifier sets. They're gonna buy text Jean saw Master sets.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, this is a this is a big week. I'm really stoked to hear about how Zodiac looks on four K. I'm worry about that. It's my favorite fincher. I hope it looks good. Adam's Family Value is obviously a great film too. Definitely want that on four K. Eventually. My big shout out though is j Horrorrizing. If you have never seen n Roy The Curse, definitely consider checking out this box set. Look at that. The art looks great in person. Man, Yes, I think if you've never seen Narroy The Curse, you are going to love that film. It is so creepy.
Speaker 3: The just parallel back to Zodiac. I love Zodiac. I wonder does that send the director's cretident or is it just theatrical That's the only thing that Yeah, that's the only thing I'm sort of like about because I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Right, it's I mean, literally my favorite finsure. It's it's yeah, it's a lot. I don't know what's going on, but uh yeah, it seems like we're not going to get a lot of these cuts. And from what I hear, I mean it's it's supposedly a legal thing where some of the actors that appear in scenes that did not sign off on this to be released. It's too much of an illegal ongoing thing to go get permission from everybody to have it released. So in fear of being sued by somebody, they are not gonna put it out that and there's there's potentially other music cues that were in there that they don't have the rights to necessarily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes sense. I get it because I've seen like stuff like you know, Stabborn tries to put out of it and then like every little you know song from a Severn title and they got but like Marty graulm Asker, I remember that fiasco and then you know it's so it totally makes sense. In retrospect, It's something that just being an average movie watcher, I would have flown over previously and just would have sat there disgruntled, like why am I not getting this version right? But yeah, in retrospect, sort of being slightly more connected at the hip with stuff, Yeah, it totally makes sense.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about that that we were going to discuss that, but just an inside baseball thing. Blake lives close to the Severn warehouse, so sometimes like after the big sales or a super big pre order of it, and Blake goes and helps with the shipping and then they pay him and releases. Oh yeah, what uh, what's your experience been like with those?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a lot of fun. You know, we've got it's hard work for sure, Like I won't I mean we're not changed to the wall and they're not whipping us or anything like that, but I mean you'll break a sweat for sure. You know, it's a good atmosphere, a lot of film fandom in the room as we're packing movies, and you know, we definitely work our butt off to try to get it out the door as fast as we can. There's a lot of circumstances that arise that people don't you know, understand in the in the world of They just think that something could show up instantaneously. But there's I will just say on that end, there's a lot of earnest, hard work effort to make title show up as quick as possible. There's there's logistics stuff outside of the shipping room that often slows the process down. So it's this is what it like the postal service, for example. You know, I'm not gonna throw them under the bus because there's a lot of postal workers that are hard workers, but sometimes they're overloaded and so that can delay stuff. So it's not necessarily like severing, you know, delay and shipment. So yeah, it is what it is. But it's a lot of fun. You know. You get to meet a lot of good people that know film and you know, and get to see all the releases and yeah, great atmosphere. Love doing it.
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's been nice during the sales to have Spaghetti comeback and update the discord, being like, yeah, well today we finally got in this one title. So if you're waiting on that, it's it's gonna start shipping now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I try to do my part just to sort of you know, break down some of the rumor mill a little bit, you know. But yeah, I mean it's it's a good time for sure, working in that room. So i'd say working in that room because that's where we're small mighty crew.
Speaker 2: So all right, so tonight we are talking about the theatrical experience as a whole. To put you on the spot in your memory, what is the best theatrical experience you ever had?
Speaker 3: Best theatrical experience. I mean, obviously I'm gonna have a lot of like old times, I tend to ramble, so it just heads up, sorry, ramble the spot, and then I start garbling my life story. I think a lot of your older stuff, like I remember seeing Roger Rabbit and stuff larger than life films. I think that's due to my age. But if we have to say, like something that's outstanding where you're cheering at the screen, probably something like Jurassic Park. You know, I'm that was ninety five. I was ten when that came out, so it's the right age where it's it's a film that's like an event. It's huge, larger than life. I remember seeing I remember going seeing Star Wars, not obviously not when it originally came out, but they did, like they brought it back out and yeah, this is when like they threw in cgi Sabbath jab of the Hut and everybody, you know, George Lucas was roasted under Coles for that. But you know, I'm a little kid, so like that's huge experience. So yeah, things like that. The big movies for sure has been my best exp.
Speaker 2: Have you done many things that made it a theatrical event, like anything with filmmakers there or done any of the forty X or D box or any of those fancy ones.
Speaker 3: I've seen a couple three D movies. This is the standard three D. You get the glasses. I will say this, this is I wish I was able to go to more screenings where I were like casting through was there to give Q and as things like that. Living in the Midwest and now living in Arizona, I haven't really gotten a lot of that, right, Like I know that you know, La gets it, and New York gets it, and you know, probably Chicago and stuff like that. But so throwing that to the side because I don't have that, it's really a lot of like the elemental gimmicks that has to hook me in. I will say one thing currently, because you know I live in Phoenix, we don't have what we got here. It's a it's the fifth largest city of the United States, but it's still growing in culture, so they're doing what they can and we have a lot of chain stuff. So we have Harkins Theater, which is like Janior. But the one gimmick that still hooks me that I was going to bring up today is They have the biggest theater in the western portion of Phoenix. It might be the biggest theater in Phoenix, but it's called Cinema One. And they still bring out these big, flowy golden curtains like nineteen fifties or something like that, and they really make it a spectacle to the pull the curtains aside and do the rotating spotlights and stuff like that. And it's just little simple things like that that I think make all the difference in the world. No matter what film I'm watching now, it does make a difference later on with the film, but you know, that first setup I think does wonders and that's one of the first things that I mean, I wish I could have the other elements, but that's what I do have. At least I can champion that.
Speaker 2: I will say, Blake used to live around where I live now, so we've got a lot of the same like reference points. And one of the things that's really cool is Kansas City. They have a lot of theaters. A lot of people don't know this. They are the headquarters of AMC here over in Leewood, Kansas. It's in the Kansas City metro, so there's there's a lot of AMC to choose from. There's like five or six maybe even more than that. AMC's in the area. But beyond that, we have a little independent theater called Screenland Armor, which you have probably heard as a movie fan just scrolling through these things. Every year they have a film festival there called Panicfest. There's a lot of places with that has like partnered with Screenland to show some things. Kevin Smith has popped in for a screening of his newest Jane Jane Silent Bob film. I will say what Blake just mentioned is also a very similar thing for Screenland is they've got the curtains, they've got the they've got a little like automated robot that does the little hocket turning thing that opens the curtains. And seeing this is gonna be a weird like touch point. But seeing the fourth Hatchet film, which is called Victor Crowley with Adam Green there in Screenland Armor was a really fun night. I mean to have to have the filmmaker sitting there laughing along with his film, with the big audience. Everybody had sold it out, and it's a funny movie, like it's a comedy horror movie and people are into it, and then to have him do the Q and A after it was it was something that doesn't happen that often in Casey, so it was pretty special. Love to hear that craig'say. Shout out to the Straight Cat, another small Kansas City theater. That's great. There is so many different ways that you can look at this. Another thing that I could say is I got really lucky where I grew up in California. We lived about forty five minutes drive away from a place that had like one of the only D box theaters at the time, and I got to see way back in what was it twenty twelve that it came out. I got to see Cabin in the Woods in a D box eater and I had never done anything like that before, so having it. You know, the the opening shots where after they get out of the little factory they're in and they're introducing like the core four or five that you meet the teenagers, there's this one shot that's a crane shot. They go from the ground up to this apartment building and the chair felt like it was rising that entire time, and the chair is not moving really, It's like slight swivels and it's crazy that they can pull that off. I was really happy with it. It's not forty X where they're spraying water in your face and the wind and all that stuff. But we'll get into some more of those. Yeah, let's talk about William Castle about how do you feel about him as a filmmaker. Oh.
Speaker 3: I love William Castle. I love you know, the entirety of not only is he he's sort of an unsung director. I mean, people love his work, but he's sort of unsung in the merit of his actual films are good, but because he's known as the master of the gimmick. But I love his uh gimmicks as well. In the combination of both of them clashing together is wonderment. He's definitely a director that I sort of flew over when I was younger, and he's one that I because I mean, obviously you're watching like Alverred Hitchcock movies stuff like that, and they're they're similar to a degree, but definitely William Castle's one that I came into knowing more of his persona later on, being more of a movie fan than just casual film watcher at a younger age and just his He's sort of like the P. T. Barnum there was, you know, Robert Ripley mentality, just sort of the the wonderments of how can he add an extra spark to the movie experience, And yeah, I have a blast every time one of his movies pops up.
Speaker 2: This is, uh, you know, one of those filmmakers that, like his legacy literally precedes him. He's one of those that you hear about how he did things and worked to literally sell his films. Yeah, oh yeah, I mean you could say huckster, but more of like just freaking passionate and fighting to do everything you possibly can to get eyes in front of them. And when you hear about things like the Tingler and all of the gimmicks that come with all of these, it is such a unique way to experience these and I would have loved to have been a part of someone e these screens.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah. Just the atmosphere of it, I mean, and it's just simple novelties and it just like I said, you know, going talking about like just farkens in the experience of just the golden you know, robes just separating like that. It's just the little element that make a difference, And so I just know that, you know, whyn Castle could just put something that's simple on the screen and now I'm gonna build them up. That he actually put out some really well movies without the gimmick, But he could just put something on the screen and then just the atmosphere that has created from the little novelty tricks that he does just just blows it through the roof.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he He's done so many different types of gimmicks that he was literally famous for them. And again not every film of his had them, so he was definitely a filmmaker outside of that as well. But it all comes down to, sorry if you heard that, we just had a thunderstorm start outside. Oh really loud. What this comes down to is the experience selling people on a reason to come to these and not I hate to use the word just, but like come to these without just experiencing a film to make it something. And you've got a unique background in that. What did you do with experiences in your prior jobs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean, first of all, I was just a standard theater grunt working in a movie there that wasn't really necessarily experienced. But I worked in a movie theater. I knew there was actually the AMC Independence Commons twenty which is probably in your neck of the woods a little bit, so hopefully if that place is ste.
Speaker 2: Been there many times. That's where I watched Oppenheimer, and I try never go to that theater because it's awful.
Speaker 3: Oh geez, well, my day it was. It was decent, but yeah, I can't speak for it now.
Speaker 2: But no.
Speaker 3: After after working there, I definitely was given the opportunity to work with a lot of experience like retailers, but I worked for Mattel and Disney both and they definitely have a mentality where it's not directly the you're not at a store or you're not you know, just there doing a Monday thing. You're there and it's an event, and so that it's definitely something that I've tried to carry with me in mentality, and that's why I think like Castle films and just movie going experience has no carried with me as well. First of all, I worked with Mattel directly under the window of they had American girl dolls, which it was sort of a joke. I was sort of the dude in the devile store, but I was in logistics mainly, so I mean, I'm not out there coman dollar, but that was something they did, which you know, that's an event because some little girl would go into the store and it's not like, you know, you know, kudos to toys. R us were being cool because we love it for a nostalgis sense. But going to toys arrests and you know, here's the package, you go grab it, you go bring out here, you're in there and you're getting the full catered experience. It was almost like a theme park and in the middle of the you know, in Missouri, and this was actually in Kansas, but in the middle of the country where you know, you're separated from you know, all these major theme parks and stuff like that. We did our darness to make that the experience. So like with American Girl, I mainly did a lot of like training in the sense that there's a lot of historical characters and people wouldn't know to sell they would just sell standard dolls. And I actually went and researched the history of all these characters because they have a series of books, and I was applying like historical factors and then all of a sudden, I had like all these sales staff going out there and like teaching the children like this is the World War two doll and she's got a friend from the Blitzkrieg and all this stuff, and then all of a sudden, it builds this entire world for the kid. And it made that much of a difference because the sales went through the roof, and then from there, you know, I was able to make like training material for the rest of the company. And you know, I wish that the American Girl franchise went a different route. I guess they're doing okay now, but a lot of those stores primarily closed. That's outside of my bubble. But from there I went and I worked at Disney, and Disney I did a lot of the same kind of things where I built an experience store from the ground up. And like I said, you know, you have your theme park in LA and you have your theme park in you know, Orlando, and you're in the middle of you know, the Kansas City metro area. They're two days drive in both directions. You better make sure that kid who walks into the door is going to Disneyland that day. And so it's just a wonderment of turning that into an event. I mean we we did rope drops when the store opened, and I mean you're in Oak Park Mall at eight o'clock on a Tuesday with just mall walkers walking around, and you know, and and we're like, the lights are off and here's like one kid, or or it's not even a kid. It might just be a mallwalker, you know, And you know we would I press a button and tinkerbells flying around the store at Tuesday morning at eight o'clock, you know. But you know, it's it's the little things like that. I could press buttons and make muppets up out of trees and it was a blast. But what what it goes to show is the mentality of you don't work directly in a store. You you work in an experience. And I think that ties in with Castle, uh for sure. And it also ties in with probably a mentality that a saturated the theater industry right now might need to look into to some degree, and that they are, they're they're looking into their avenues. But you know, it's it's it's all about bringing the experience back. And I guess the other thing I didn't really allude to is I built I was part of the team that built these stores from the ground up. Not only did I run some logistics for them, but I was able to see them being built. So it's sort of connected me with you know, I watched mattin AE as we talked about today, and it was really cool to see the scene with like, you know, John Goodman's character Woolsey, you know, putting the buzzers under the Seatson like that. So I got to see like sort of behind the scenes of how all that comes into effect. But yeah, it's it's ultimately it boils down to, in my ramble here, recreation of the experience and how the experience turns something that is normal into something even so much more, and that's how to settle sum.
Speaker 2: There was a some sort of news article that came out recently that has revealed that some it's like the top eight movie theater chains or something like that in the US and Canada are investing a shit ton of money into adding not only like better seating and better audio and visual and all that stuff, but they're investing in pickleball courts. And it's this sort of thing that is super interesting but also weird, like people are not not going to the theater because you don't have pickleball courts. However, I could see I could see the appeal of like going somewhere and literally making a night out of it, being able to get your entire food, the alcohol, spend some outside activity, and then and the night with the you know, date night of the movie theater type of thing. But I I you know, when you're talking about the Disney store, I still remember as a child in nineteen ninety four going to the Disney store in southern California, and there's things to crawl through, There's stuff that like you would literally slide down off of one of the rocks and suddenly you're in a different part of the store looking at more products. And that experience lives with me. I still have that pure memory. I can smell it. That's that's how weird Disney stores are. Movie theaters need something like that. If we are in a part where everybody is failing. Yeah, everybody's questioning that. Let me let me pull up the link. The pickleball thing is very real. Oh god, this link is forever long. It two point two billion dollars to upgrade cinemas improof tech and add pickleball courts. I think I can post a link in the chat, open this in another tab and take a look at it. Yeah, they are literally adding pickleball. It is such an odd situation, Like, if you are somebody that runs a theater in twenty twenty four, the biggest enemy right now, and I know, I hope you agree because you used to work for them, is Disney. They require certain things to be in the theater for a certain amount of time, to play a certain number of times throughout the day, and it's squashing what some of these smaller theaters could do for events. I mean, so many of these theaters across the country don't ever have the opportunity to have REP screenings. And many of the smaller towns across the US has literally never had a REP screening because they're required to. If you're going to play newer films, you have to play them for a certain period of time. I mean, how do we get past this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Disney is a very interesting that they're I always say that they're obviously an experienced company first, film company second, and sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes that's a bad thing. It's a good thing in the sense that you're walking in the Disney store and they're making Disneyland for in the moment. It's a bad thing in the sense of evolving with the industry and also being a fair partner in the industry. And that's one of my biggest gripes with them is they're very much in the moment. They sort of have blind on to do their gain in the moment and then then whatever if they don't, if it's something that's not really helping them out in the moment, just throw it away versus I mean, they do have a sense of history in the sense of like, you know, stuff Walt Disney did and like the rides and things like that, but like, oh, take for example, they used to have a Blu ray line. I know this is getting away from the theater, but they used to have the Disney Classics Blu ray line of like all the stuff like you know, twenty thousand Leagues in the Sea and you know, you know, Apple Dumpling Gang, stuff like that, and that was only you could get that if you remember their club. But now it's like the club's gone, Like are you gonna get those titles? Who knows? You'd probably eBay them, but it's just what Disney is in a sense that they're just like, no, this is how we play ball. You're gonna work with us here. And they're very sided in the moment of what can they gain with the properties until it's expended. So, yeah, Disney is Disney. That's in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: Craig says in the chat, the studios killed theaters with their streaming quote strategy. Friends of mine say that they went regularly and now they go rarely. They always say I can just watch it at home, and that's true for a lot of titles. Yeah. I also think it's funny that they tried after COVID to go back to in a lot of these ads or trailers. Now we're seeing exclusively in theaters. But in all reality, if the film fails, like the Joker sequel, it's gonna be streaming like two weeks later. Yeah, you can't afford to not have it playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's like there's limited risk if you don't miss it. You know, you hear word of mouth and people are like, oh, this movie stinks, and you're like, all right, well just get it on streaming. So there's there's no risk for the consumer, and you know, once again, it's all about in that moment to moment basis, you know, it's like whatever. But then in the grand scheme of things, all these are bubbling up, and you know, you had the situation of COVID, which you know, COVID is what COVID is. You know, it's something we couldn't avoid. But when you're sitting at home and then you're in your sweatpants and just lounging on the couch and doing your own thing, that became the experience. And now we have to break people out of the bubbles of the theaters, have to break people out of that bubble of what are they going to do to compete? Because before it was just the old standard of this is the only way you can watch it. And they're trying to do a little bit of that. You know, you advertise the big movies and say it's only gonna be in theaters now. But the system is now damaged to the point where people are preconditioned. It's like whatever. And then now you have these huge, massive hits that even if they were a film that wasn't the greatest, even if it was a flop, it would still make way more like Joker too, right, I haven't seen Joke or two. I'm I don't know if it's good or bad. You know, I'll eventually see it. But we live in a day and age where you know, Joker two would sell tons regardless of how well it was made. But now it's just that word of mouth just you know, sparked a flame and it just died on arriving, right, So how are we going to break that? And the theaters have to figure out something to spark that flame.
Speaker 2: Obviously we're not going to change anything. I'd love to hear if anybody yet has any ideas for these. Simnar wants to point out if you're if you're living near an AMC, just get a list. One Dolby show will already save you like four dollars. And it's true. I mean in some of the smaller towns it's not quite that expensive, but I know in my state, the A list is literally less than twenty dollars. It's nineteen ninety five, and to go to like a A anything after a five PM most of the film started like twenty one dollars. So getting a list, I'm all ready literally saving money if I only go once. But now I can go three times a week for the entire month. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I think they're definitely doing better about like, yeah, the prices individually are egregious, but that's inflation in general. But they're doing They're doing good with the package deals, yep. But they still have to find that middle ground of how can the package deal still compeat and streaming, you know, or something like that. And ultimately, you know, like I said, streaming is convenient in the moment, but we've gotten to a point where we're, you know, half a decade or more in and we've started to see the effects of it in that sense. And I'm not all against streaming. I've just seen that the natural causation of it is definitely evolving some things. And I also think outside of streaming, I think a saturation of so I mean, I could go to whole Disney dangent, you know, and we could get it to that later. But I think saturation of properties is another thing that has waned people down as well. That you know, I worked for Disney when they bought Star Wars and Marvel, and it was very exciting in the beginning, but then in typical Disney fashion. What they do is they find every single little character, even the ones that are in one scene that you and as an employee with the Disney company, you know all their character dames, like like all the random cars in the Cars movie that are in one scene in the background. You know that's Fred, you know, and it's like, okay, and you better sell twenty Fred Plushy's to a kid, right And so I knew as soon as like, that's what superheroes are going through right now. You know, Disney bought Marvel and they're making a movie out of every single little character that you know. I'm glad maybe the fandom of that one character is getting their movie, but it's also killed the market. It's not something special anymore. So that's another co existing.
Speaker 2: Tan Craig just said, Tuesday nights are only like six dollars. I just went and looked to book a seat at the am Seed that I normally go to to watch the new Vendom movie next Tuesday. It is fourteen dollars, and that is the discounted price. Normally it's about twenty twenty two discounted as fourteen dollars, which is a lot. Still, if you were to go and if suddenly, if you're taking a partner, which most people go at least two people to a theater, you're looking at twenty eight dollars plus tax and convenience fees. Doing that as a family, now you're talking about fifty six plus tax and countingience fees.
Speaker 3: I'm a family of five and when we go to the movie, it's usually all five of us, and it's we have to it has to be well worth our time. And so that's why it's like, all right, doing what I can to help the industry. But they got to have this spark again, you know, to make it magic.
Speaker 2: Terry says, uh A, listen unlimited. It's good for the consumer, but unless those consumers go to concessions, it doesn't help theaters, which is correct. You you absolutely should be doing that, not all every time, obviously don't, but at least somewhat helped them out a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the dollar General dollar box of candy that smuggled in your pants.
Speaker 2: Do you need to be a member to get the good deal? Craig I was signed in. That was the price as a signed in a list member that the it was showing thirteen ninety nine and then discounted thirteen ninety nine became zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember when I worked for AMC twenty and everybody loved My Big Fat Greek Wedding. And the reason why the theater the theaters loved big that movie is it ran for a year straight, and so at that point, that point the theater starts to get revenue from that movie, so they kept going the My Big Fat Wedding train for like, oh god, that thing was shown for like nine months straight. Yeah, it's whatever the window is. You know, there's a little bit right off the bat goes straight to the studio, but there is a window where if they keep it long enough, it's you know, it goes to them. But now it's like, I mean, we don't live in that world where there's no way a movie can go to the theater. And I don't know the logistics of like when they're doing like Classics Night and they're pulling et on thing, you know, how much of that is going to Universal and how much of that is going to the theater. I'm sure plenty of it's going back to Universal still, but I don't know the logistics of that. But yeah, it's it's a different world.
Speaker 2: Quite often we can. We can gauge some of this because one of the biggest holders of theatrical titles for especially the ones that we like, is AGFA. They actually control a lot of the theatrical screenings and most of the time their screenings only cost two hundred and fifty dollars for the theater. And so when you are showing a film like that and your theater holds I don't know, even seventy five people, if you're charging ten bucks a seat, which most theaters are charging around there, if not more, yeah, you're you're making a little bit of money at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And so I mean, like I said, that's you know what a lot of people want to see. Again, if we're going back to the events, that's the step in the right direction, is you know, the standby classics to put on the screen. Yeah, we gotta we got a morph into having modern day films doing the same. But I whatever they need to figure out to do of having classics night, like like right now, my local chain is Harkens and they have a Classic Night. I think it's like on Wednesday or something like that, and they I don't think they advertise it that much. So I never go to it, but the tickets are fairly cheap, but I would love to see something old, you know, on the screen and all of it's gran during glory. But it's just sort of a moot point, And I understand that's the industry and they're filling stuff in. You know, they're gonna have twenty screens of Terrifire twelve, but you know it's they I don't know the logistics of how much they care from a corporate standpoint to pursue that stuff, but I mean there's a lot of Like the easiest one is probably like Rocky Horror, and you have the whole gimmick with the cast or with the audience dance into all the things. But I don't know how much revenue that would bring in.
Speaker 2: But then that's usually not like your Regals or AMC's, which are most popular across the US, because they literally can't because of the Disney requirements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's your little independent one, which I forgot to shout out earlier because I know Phoenix. I said that it's growing in culture. I do have a friend that runs something called Cemetery, which is local here, and he's definitely doing a damn this to play some old classic horror movies. So I want to give him a shout out.
Speaker 2: Terry is correct here too. He says, as much as I love trailers, they really need to show less of them. People were burned out on them when I was still working in one, and I've noticed as the viewer it's gotten worse. I will say, Yeah, AMC is great for a list, but they are awful for fucking trailers. I didn't know how bad it was because we had not been going to an AMC. To get to my closest AMC, it's a good twenty ish minute drive, and so we didn't start doing that until we got a list like three months ago. But we went in there and I had heard that it had gotten worse. So I said, on the first time that we went, I want to test this. And our first showing was at one o'clock and they started showing the first trailer at twelve fifty nine, and the movie did not start until one twenty eight, twenty nine minutes of trailers and the Nicole kidmanad and Go Bye Snacks whatever it was, all of that stuff twenty nine minutes, Like it's already a two hour twenty minute movie for you to get another half hour on that is a damper to my day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, harkins. I mean they're okay with its a lot of local ads that they put on there as well, but yeah, for sure, if you're a time constraint, and now the interesting factor of your buying seats early, it's like purchasing seats on an airplane versus just you can't really go to a theater in the whim of it anymore, right, And so I just think that and then that's sort of what I used to do back in my you know, more aggressive movie watching days in the theater. As I just say, what are you gonna do right now? I don't know, go to the theater now it's just a whole structured ordeal and for you to pragmatically think, Okay, this is a two hour, fifteen minute movie and it turns into a three hour movie. It's like, yeah, totally changes things up.
Speaker 2: Craig says, I forget what I'm there to see by the time. Yeah, yeah, it's so true. I mean the hard part and uh, I think it was similar was just joking. I already know that, uh, Wolfman is the new Dammel this movie come out already, so I can stop seeing this trailer trailer. You know, there was the whole joke about Speak No Evil. This year, everybody that has gone to the theater even once every couple of weeks, you have seen that trailer this year probably forty times. And before that one, it was Shyamalan's Trap. It was just you see this thing over and over and over again, and it's crazy how much they throw it out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I get to the point where saturation and you have an audience that is like, well, if I missed it the first week that it's in theaters, it's just gonna be over on you know, eight on max in five seconds anyway, so I might as well just you know, hang out, you know, if I miss it. So it's it's almost like do you want you want to promote your films to get people hyped, but also at the same time, it's like do you want to overdo it where you kill the buzz and then people have easy options to just see it at their own leisure outside of it. So it's like.
Speaker 2: Some clarification from Craig. He just went on AMC and he says, when you go to check out, the price drops to seven dollars at checkout, So I guess I did not go one step. It said fourteen and maybe goes to seven after that. Still, it's only on Tuesday nights. There's a lot of parents that can't get out on Tuesday nights. Yeah, hard part. Patty Boy says, I like the trailers because I get my popcorn and soda and I have twenty minutes to settle in. I get that trailers are always too loud three times the movie itself. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And unless streamers are giving theaters price breaks, I really don't understand commercials for prime movies or Hulu or tub That is a great question. Great question. So what's up with the experiences? Any ideas for people are what are theaters missing? What do you think we should have? What about you blake any ideas?
Speaker 3: Well? I mean I'm speaking for or I enjoy the films that are an event. I you know, it was really interesting seeing a release schedule of films this year and they're using old EPs, because that's sort of they're sort of a life support mode a lot of the theater industry and a lot of these these studios, they're like the only thing we can pump out, it's not worth I think part of them wants to pump out a fresh new idea, but the business logistics of it is not as safe, not safe ground, so they're gonna put out a lot of stuff like you know Twister two, right, for example. And I enjoyed that for what it was because I loved the first Twister growing up. I was at perfect age. I was like ten eleven twelve when it first came out, And so the second movie comes out, it pays respect to the first film, but it's very much its own film. And I think Twister two worked because it's a disaster film, so you can make an event out of it. But they're gonna get to a point where they're just oversaturating all these ips that they're starting to kill all the established love. It's like when you had the first three Star Wars movies and they're amazing, they're an event, and then you release three more and you're still cool with it. And then they released three more and you're like, okay, and now there's TV shows and there's a million things, and now Star Wars pales in comparison to what it once was, right, or the other thing. I guess a recent one before I end this tangent here is Beetlejuice. Right. I loved Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice too just came out. I enjoyed Beetlejuice two for what it was, but they tried to turn it into a ride with twenty billion different ideas all smashed into one movie. And it's almost like I couldn't breathe in the movie because I was like, I love this concept. I love this concept. You guys could have made two movies out of this one movie. I mean, heck, they have to make a movie called Beetlejuice, Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice anyway, out of irony of the series. You might as well save some of the ideas and do the other one. So that's the road that they should not go down. That I do see them going down. And so when it comes to events they need to do obviously. I like the idea of old disaster films is a safe bet. Make it a ride, scare the audience. That's why the whore is the old standby. I really wish I could see something in that forty X or D box, Like I said, Phoenix is a growing city, and eventually they'll get one because they're big enough to get one. But I would love to like ride Twister too, you know, in that thing or the original Twister. You know, release some of the old films and then do the same kind of effects with that. The old standby is that people clamor for and have a huge nostalgia, build and work with some special effects person to not add to it. We're not talking about George Lucas cgi Jabba the Hut here, but like add effects to it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I just got back from Disneyland a couple of weeks ago, and they had a simple little three D movie in that and there's little stuff lying at your face, and it's just the little novelties of it all that I think is the first building block that's on that standpoint. I do think that we also have to have normalcy to get back into dramas and comedies, and those really aren't your gimmick films. It's just an It's an interesting landscape, and I think that there's some hurdles to get through, but I think in retrospect, I think we have to go through growing pains and we'll get there. I think this is going to be known as like the big business era when you're looking at film eras, and I think conten years time, we'll have some crazy film movement that it'll have its own pros and cons, but it'll be interesting to look back at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole forty X thing, this is one thing I was thinking about before. Like I again, I mentioned earlier the d box thing. When I was in California, California, I had to drive forty five minutes to get to a box theater and I think it's the only one that was there. I mean this was thirteen years ago or whatever. But imagine if you lived in a smaller town and you took a fairly small footprint on you know, main Street, USA wherever, and just make a little two theater for d X or d box place that can show catalog titles and not live on new titles, so you don't have the desire to compete with Disney. You can play Cabin in the Woods the entire month of October. Yeah, come, come spend twelve bucks and watch Cabin in the Woods and d box and buy our you know, festival apple cinnamon beer or whatever we're doing it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's not hard because we're talking about you know, William Castle here, he's pulling all these gimmicks in the nineteen fifties, right, and so you know, I don't know like the safety of it all, you know, the wiring under the seats, but you know, that's been fifty years plus, and so I'm sure that there's gonna be There's been some novelties, but that's what they got to break through the barrier of. And I think, yes, there's an industry standard where we got to fix the new movies that come out. But then alsto, I think there's just a reliable source of old movies that you know, especially like you said, small town, USA, or you know, just moderate you know, any moderate metropolitan area place that has you know, plenty of population. Just show some of those classics, but don't rely on like six dollars Classic Knight. Just come see the movie and just whatever zone out build it as you know, you could turn it from six dollars Classic Night to ten fifteen dollars Classic Night if it's gonna be a crazy you know, shake you around a little bit, whatever novelty it is, you know, And I think that is gonna be something that starts to get people in more and more, and then you know, you can make new films that sort of branch off of like, hey, you enjoyed this experience that because word of mouth catches on right, and so like, hey, you enjoyed the re insurgence of you know whatever movie that hit a spark again, you know that news is gonna travel and then somebody's gonna make a movie that plays on that gimmick, but it'll be a new movie. And then hair, you got a fresh new genre. And I mean the problem is, yes, things can get over saturated eventually, but you know, we're jumping forward into something.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think that's where the terrifier sort of comes in because I'll applaud terrifier for what it's doing in its own little rights. It's building upon its gimmick. Yes, it's it's a chore for some people, and some people really love it. But you have to really sit there and say, you know, terrifiers doing its thing, and it is. Yes, it's horror, so yes that's the most accessible thing. But yeah, make people put their phones away, but yeah, it's it's one of those things.
Speaker 2: Fully agree with zimmin Er, who is saying, here's a nifty gimmick, make people put their phones away. I used to have an Alamo draft house here in Kansas City. They well, they close down momentarily, and then B and B theaters bought them and they're using it now. But I only went to that Alamo because of the whole no phone requirement and no talking during it or will literally kick you out. I really wish most theaters would do that. And if you stick to that, it literally becomes an experience because you're enveloped by the film. Yeah, the amount of times I've seen people texting on their watch and peaking at the time during like dark scenes, you know, a horror movie is so goddamn annoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's the evolution of human attention, which has not helped any of this whatsoever. And so yeah, I've definitely seen my fair share of people just pull it up their phone. And I think I've seen only a movie theater employee like once or twice until somebody turn it off. But I have definitely every big movie I go to, there's somebody sitting there like just playing something on their phone. It's sort of the population we've become. They should just put a big thing on the theater to the screen that says if you pull up your phone, we will confiscate it or something like some scare tactic. I don't know. They probably can't so they can't liability. But you know, do some scare tactic and there will be at least you know, sixty percent of the audience they'll buy it. Even though if they can do.
Speaker 2: It, I mean, you have the right to refuse service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly if.
Speaker 2: They're ruining it for other people, even if you got a refund them, get out, Like I'd rather have everybody else happy and have you out of the.
Speaker 3: Room exactly exactly. And that's I it needs to be the undivided attention. Again. I think that's a big chunk of it.
Speaker 2: Craig says, most people in LA a pretty good theater etiquette. That is very lucky. But similar says, block the cell signal from getting inside the theater. I mean that's a good start. Make them all afferretag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: That's probably not enough. People are still gonna check the time and shit, yeah, that light, that light is so blinding. If like somebody is driving at night and there's no lights on the screen, and suddenly somebody's like, oh, it's seven thirty four. I got it.
Speaker 3: People just don't care anymore. It's just in cell phone so ingrained in that. I mean, they say, I won't go on on tangent they're driving, but you know, people see daily layers just driving two miles an hour down the road because they're texting while they're It's the same thing. It's just it's just cell phones are so ingrained that it's it's gotta be just a hard stop.
Speaker 2: So I complete tangent. I guess I'm enraged by how many people I've seen watching TikTok while driving. What the hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm definitely in the phase where one other random job I used to and we won't take a tangent on this whole thing, but I used to investigate automobile accidents. Awesome, So texting and driving is a big thing with me that I a. But yeah, I'm definitely in the mode now where I'm in the car pickup line, dropping off my kids, picking them up all the time. And I can't tell you how many people are just going slower than dirt because they're just texting and looking at it all that that's a mess. So yeah, we just need to get rid of cell phone and then the theater industry will be booming again. It's all cell phone's gone. Let's just go back to them. There's the cept phone, Motoro and Snake and yeah, yeah, none of it.
Speaker 2: Well, in two hours, in one of our shortest episodes, we have solved the theater experience. Just get rid of cell phones. Yeah, thanks, thanks for coming on, Blake. This has been Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, I'm glad to be in here.
Speaker 2: Have fun again shouting out some things for Blake. Everybody needs to pick up River. This is the first grave Face title that was released. Incredible art. If you've never looked close, the back of this release is gorgeous, Like both sides are great, but man, this is especially if you've seen the film. This is a really great picture. Incredible that you were on the first release. Other than that, go follow his letterboxed and then I've got some links for their podcasts and shows that he's been on in the description. Go go check out more Blake and if you want to read his opinion and have him respond, come join the discord. We'd love to have you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, have a good night. Next Thursday's Halloween night. You know, we got to do something fun for that, so we will see you then. And in the meantime, I'm go go watch a movie and we'll see you the next one. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Tell me.
Speaker 4: The audio commentary. It's a dying art form. But here at one track, mind, I you're wonky at Affable Host Brian Luis Rodriguez analyze film through the prism of these embryonic forms of podcasting, one audio commentary at a time. Masterpieces, crapster pieces, live action, animation, cult classics, films literally no one has ever heard of. No track is too small and no track is too big. Join me and my guests from the entertainment world as we keep these features alive every other Tuesday. Hey, who else is going to discuss Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey one week and Citizen Kane the next us? That's who sure you have to put up with my voice, but there's a certain give and take in this industry that's one track mind. Part of the Someone's Favorite Productions family and available wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description.