Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Finally, heads are rolling. At least five members of the Secret Service have been placed on AD leave mid leave following the assassination attempt against former President Trump. One member of Trump's personal protective team and four members of the Secret Services Field office in Pittsburgh, including the Special Agent in charge, had been placed on leave six weeks after the incident. I was kind of surprised about the member of his personal protective team. That's odd to me because that is not where the responsibility lies. The responsibility lies on the people that planned this, The people that went out there and checked out the venue and observed the problem areas ie a roof overlooking the event.
Speaker 2: Those are the people I want to see fired. Fox was the first to report this this morning. But they learned that the threat to Trump from Iran, Do you remember that came out a couple of weeks later. That was communicated internally at the Secret Service prior to the event in Pennsylvania, And the investigation is now looking into why the event went forward at all, even though that was hanging over the heads of everybody there in Butler, PA. The Secret Service did say in a statement they're committed to investigating the decisions the actions of all the personnel then related to the event. The FBI had previously stated that the shooter was able to get on the roof of that building nearby by, climbing up HVAC equipment and piping cooked. The gunman then traveled multiple rooftops traversed, i should say, before he found his shooting position on top of the building about one hundred and fifty yards away from where have you.
Speaker 1: Been traveling with your the sourus? Because your vocab this week has been next level. I would say this morning, you were on Amy Kings Show Wake Up Call, and you use the word postulate right out of the gate, and I'm like lying there, barely woken up, and you're saying things like postulate, which I really appreciate. I do appreciate a good vocab, but you seem to be bringing it. Are you doing something or are you doing word exercises in your downtime?
Speaker 2: It just sometimes my brain gets sparked. You know, maybe it's the microdosing.
Speaker 1: Ah, the ketamine. Something maybe don't do drugs kids, Yeah, don't do not the nineties anymore funny.
Speaker 3: No, it's not funny.
Speaker 1: It's not funny.
Speaker 3: There's also a big deal going on. Of course. Robert F.
Speaker 2: Kennedy withdrew from the ballot in Arizona late last night, the day before he is set to appear in Arizona and probably drop out of the race, drop his independent presidential bid. He's scheduled to speak at about eleven o'clock hour time, so a couple hours from now, talking about the present historical moment and the Kennedy path forward.
Speaker 3: That's according to the campaign.
Speaker 1: All Right, So, Kamala Harris has her big night last night, the coronation ceremony where she accepts democratic nomination.
Speaker 3: She was very demure, very demure.
Speaker 1: Very again, you're killing that, Like when you play that, it ruins it and it makes it just disappear from pop culture.
Speaker 3: Hey, it does.
Speaker 1: You had a headline this morning on an article you were reading, and it made my stomach turn.
Speaker 3: It's a Washington Post opinion piece. Bye.
Speaker 2: Let me see the writer's name, Catherine Rampell. Holy hell, here's the title.
Speaker 3: Doug M. Hoff modern day sex symbol good.
Speaker 1: Lord in Heaven not for me, not for me. Exclamation will kill you. So Kamala Harris has her big night last night. I watched it live and I got to say I was bored. I was bored as all get out. I think her rallies have gone better for her. I think that the moment was huge, and she was maybe a little overwhelmed by it. And maybe that's just me being a sexist, but I didn't feel any gravity and I didn't feel any gravitas, and I did not enjoy all of the platitudes. It was just like every.
Speaker 4: Your nomination to be president.
Speaker 1: It was just like wa wah wah whah. And this is this boost Tim Walls for me because like he spoke like a normal person. He didn't speak like a politician. And that's what I loved about his speech. Hers was the exact opposite, where she's just up there saying the things that she thinks she should be saying. We didn't hear enough.
Speaker 2: Chicago Inlago Darry and Shannon kf I Am six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, did you see jd Vance ordering donuts? Holy hell?
Speaker 3: Awkward?
Speaker 1: He's He's so trying to be Tim Walls and he's not, and so just just get out of that lane. It's so awkward. And and he the way he interacts with everyday people, it's kind of reminiscent of Gavin Newsom, to be honest, like he, I don't know who this guy is. I thought I knew who this guy is. I read his book, the whole bit. But the way he's interacting with the woman at the donut shop and the way she's just like, yeah, I don't want to be on film, Like have you ever seen that before in your life? Like one of these I'm gonna go get a sandwich, I'm gonna go get ribs, I'm gonna go do the everyday American thing. And it's usually like they're they're thrilled to have the person that's running for vice president or president in their shop. It's all coordinated. It seems like these people didn't know he was coming in, they didn't know who he was, and they didn't want any part of it.
Speaker 3: Oscar said that this was bad planning for the advanced team.
Speaker 5: The events team didn't go and do the work exactly. And then you know, you go to a business and he asks, Hey, how long you've been working here. You want that person to say, I've been here twenty years. I've been all that. She's like, I just started in January.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's part of my problem because his first question was how long has this place been open? And she says four years, and then he's trying to elicit that response. You just said that I've been here for twenty years after it's been open for four years, and she's like, I've been here six months. He's like, Oh, that's great. I love to hear that. I'm like, what are you talking about? She's been there six months? And where was the business owner?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: That's the yahing you go do. It was awful. It was awful. They didn't know who he was. They wanted no part of being on film. They said that, And he ordered all glazed donuts? Who does that? That's the best part because he's like, what should I get?
Speaker 3: At least two dozen, sir?
Speaker 1: All glazed? I'm like, who wants a glaze donut? Where are the sprinkles? Where's the chocolate?
Speaker 3: Old Fashion Kennedy Robert F.
Speaker 2: Kennedy Junior is expected to end his presidential campaign today. They said this week that he intended to address his path forward in a speech from Phoenix coming up. We do know that there's some talk about him endorsing Donald Trump, and Trump has a rally later today in Glendale, Arizona. The FED Reserve apparently ready to cut interest rates. FED Chair Jerome Powell said today in what his being billed as his most anticipated speech of the year, because everybody wants to hear from Jerome Powell, the time has come for policy to adjust and the direction of travel is clear.
Speaker 3: See what they said.
Speaker 1: Are we going to get into the Tom Girardi trial in the next hour? Darn tout Tom Girardi, standing trial on four counts of wire fraud. Prosecutors say he stole more than fifteen million from four clients between twenty ten and twenty twenty. He took the stand yesterday, he went all murder on them. So we'll talk about that when we come back earth.
Speaker 4: In NEXTUS country, anything is possible, that nothing is out of reach, and America, where we are from one another, look out for one another and recognize that we have so much more in common than what separates us.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's a conspiracy anybody. That speech could have been given by anybody.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the that's one of the issues. She didn't write the speech. I mean, one of the Obama speech writers has been part of her campaign for a while, so, I mean as long as the campaign's been going for thirty days. But she she didn't personalize the speech. I thought she delivered it well. I thought it was you know, it said the things that she needed to say.
Speaker 1: If you have the same takeaway, there was no personalization anyone could have given that speech.
Speaker 2: She did get into the whole issue of we'll play it here in a second. The you know, acknowledging the split, the schism in the Democrat seat.
Speaker 3: That's another I know you keep doing it micro dosing.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you the schism and the Democratic Party about the Israeli gazapolosy, and so we'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: But Mike, conspiracy theory.
Speaker 2: Yes, they knew this was a flat speech. They knew that this was not going to be the personalized again because it's arguably the best speech she's given, but did not match the trajectory of the first few days of the convention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I disagree. I think that her rallies after she took the top of the ticket were better I thought she was more natural, she was more down to earth. This was gobblygook.
Speaker 2: But the conspiracy theory is, if the campaign knows that it's going to be gobbledegook, maybe we start to throw the rumor around that Beyonce is going to be in town, Ah, and that will get more eyes on the convention.
Speaker 1: Who was the Beyonce slash Taylor Swift, Lynn Manuel Miranda?
Speaker 7: Was that right?
Speaker 3: I thought it was the Eva Longoria thing.
Speaker 1: Oh was he not there?
Speaker 2: That's a good question of all the speakers gallivanting.
Speaker 3: I went home and watched the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Whatever. You sent me a picture from a casino last night while I was doing my homework, and I was watching this, and I was jealous. I should have been the one at the casino.
Speaker 3: It would have been awful. Had you gone to the casino, you would not be here right now.
Speaker 1: I would not be You'd be in jail. I'd be in a gutter somewhere. So yeah, I'm glad, but but it did pain my heart when you guys sent me the picture of Oscar with the slot machine, because it also pained ray Loo business.
Speaker 3: We were in that building for about forty five seconds. We did it just for the photo.
Speaker 4: Wop.
Speaker 1: That's horrible. I would have been there for six hours.
Speaker 3: You still be there.
Speaker 2: The acknowledgment that there is a huge divide in the Democratic Party when it comes to policy on Iran.
Speaker 4: And let me be clear, I will stand up for Israel's right to defend itself.
Speaker 7: And I will always ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself because the people of Israel must never again face the horror that a terrorist organization called Hamas calls on October seventh, big applause, unspeakable sexual violence, and the massacre of young people at a music festival at the same time.
Speaker 3: Ah, here it comes.
Speaker 4: What has happened in Gaza the past ten months is devastating, so many innocent lives long and.
Speaker 2: She went on to say that she fuller firmly endorses a ceasefire plan and wants to see one sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: Maybe because we're just in it. We've been sitting in it. We've been here in the soup and the soup sandwich. I'm done hearing about sexual violence, sex crimes, abortions. I don't want to hear about any of that. For a while, that seemed to be a big I know that she started as a sex crimes prosecutor and that's been making the rounds in the media, and I understand that, but I don't want to sit in it. I don't want to like get into it and be hit over the head with abortions and all of it.
Speaker 3: It's also one of those issues.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to talk about it, and like the thing is is they've made it. I saw an article in Politico yesterday about how the Democrats have made abortion not taboo by talking about it all the time. It's worse. It's like the Republicans claim that you love abortion, So why don't you come out and say we hate abortions, but sometimes they're necessary. Why isn't that the messaging Instead it's.
Speaker 3: Like, come get a free abortion in the mobile clinic. Yes, I don't know. I don't know how they did that.
Speaker 1: And it's awful to talk about and hear about. And let's focus on the optimism, the joyful warriors right.
Speaker 2: Jonathan Carl from ABC News listened to the speech and discussed what he said was a change in tone from Kamala Harris, A.
Speaker 8: Very interesting move and quite a contrast from the way she ran for president the first time when she tried to get the nomination four years ago. This is a Kamala Harris that sounded a little bit more like Maggie Thatcher or Ronald Reagan, especially on national security, than like Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 3: But Donald cars used words like.
Speaker 8: American carnage to talk about America. Has portrayed a more isolationist, protectionist view. It is it odds with what Ronald Reagan was all about. So this was Kamala Harris. I mean, she didn't say the word city on a hill like Ronald Reagan did, but full embrace of patriotism, the American flags waving here, the chance of USA, USA USA.
Speaker 2: They know Democrats know that they are being painted by Republicans as either not patriotic or not as patriotic. So I think that that was part of what that push was.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, Margaret Thatcher said things like if you want something said, ask a man, If you want something done, ask a woman. That's more Michelle Obama's tenor than it was Kamala Harris. The one thing I'll say for Kamala Harris, she didn't hit us over the head with the fact that she's a woman. She's a woman of color, she's a woman of biracial descent, all of that, Like she just her presence alone, was that exclamation point?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was nice.
Speaker 3: And I think that's intentional.
Speaker 2: I think that's absolutely They know that that's not going to resonate.
Speaker 3: We will still be doing our nine news nugget.
Speaker 2: You need to know, we've pretty much run empty when it comes to the desire to talk about politics a whole lot more.
Speaker 1: We're going to spend all of Monday not talking about politics, right, Like, what are we going to do in swamp Watch? Is that going to be the gay penguin segment?
Speaker 3: We'll actually do swamp stories?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Will we just do Florida? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my gosh, wouldn't that be a delight If we just did a half an hour of Florida mans story?
Speaker 2: It would be perfect. Tropical Storm Honee is that what we're saying? Honee, I haven't even seen it has become the eighth named storm of the Pacific Ocean hurricane season. Cruising toward the islands of Hawaii, hone I believe is on course to pass near but probably south of the Big Island sometime late tomorrow or early Sunday said, it should either be a strong tropical storm, maybe category one hurricane at its closest pass.
Speaker 1: Hey remember Chris Watts, the guy who killed his wife and his two little baby girls three and four years old. He now blames his murdered wife, the one that he killed for the affair and the murderers. He says she was a control freak and she's the reason that he had an affair that led him to kill her and their two young daughters.
Speaker 3: Let that be a lesson too, what us sociopath.
Speaker 2: There's a family up in Hollister urging parents to be cautious after their two year old daughter was mistakenly served alcohol at a restaurant in Salinas. What they had to take her to the emergency room. The restaurants called Fujiama, Japanese restaurant a big family dinner. Apparently, the parents ordered apple juice for their two year old. I love apple juice, But it was not until their daughter started showing signs of intoxication that they realized that the juice cup she had been drinking actually had house made cooking wine on the inside of it.
Speaker 1: Cooking wine.
Speaker 2: Mom said quote she was swaying. She was falling over. She was leaning on walls. She couldn't hold her head up, and she was slurring like you last night. Oh no, their two year old daughter. Two years old? Don't they always sway and fall over? Yeah, that's I mean two years old. You're drunk all the time.
Speaker 3: They spent the night at the Salinas Valley Er.
Speaker 2: They set a blood test revealed an alcohol level of zero point one two percent.
Speaker 1: Side note, The best apple juice I've ever had is at a place and I don't know if it's still there, but when I lived in Marine and Delray, it was a place called cows And right on Washington there right near the beach. Good coffee place. They sandwiches and stuff. Bores had place, but they made fresh squeezed apple juice, and it if you have fresh apple juice, like okay, You know how you talk about the difference between like fruit and the peppers your dad used to grow, like bell peppers and stuff, and how sweet they taste when they're fresh. Like that, The difference between like a bottle of apple juice that you get, you know, what's the brand of juice? You know, the cranberries, welches or whatever, as opposed to fresh. It's night and day, night and day.
Speaker 2: Well it's also not you know, overly pasteurized and added you know, added sugars and stuff like good.
Speaker 3: So, oh boy, I got to read to you. So we're gonna run out.
Speaker 1: Of time for this. Well we can also continue it, we could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's other parts of the show.
Speaker 2: The Washington Post there's a there's an op ed piece by Catherine Rampole, and I don't know much about her, and it doesn't really give a biography towards the end of the article. She's an opinion columnist covers economics, public policy, and immigration. Data driven journalism is what they say, Okay. The headline to her op ed piece is Doug m Hoff modern day sex symbol. It says m Hoff is secure enough with his own masculinity to sometimes prioritize his wife's ambition over his own.
Speaker 3: What uh hunk? She writes, All cast.
Speaker 1: I do like a supportive of a husband, right, it's import you support your wife and her career.
Speaker 2: Doug em Hoff has been called many things. Second, make you a sex symbol? Well, isn't that just something.
Speaker 1: That you should do?
Speaker 2: Well, it is something you should do. It's good, But she says, move over, Ryan Gosling. The modern female fantasy is embodied by the man who might soon become our first first gentleman. Em Hoff appears to be a genuine mensch with an impressive career, smitten with his wife and supports our ambitions and is obvious from his convention speech and their sweet interactions on the campaign trail. But most important for this sexy sobriquette, oh boy, m Hoff is secure enough with his own masculinity to sometimes prioritize his wife's ambitions over his own.
Speaker 1: So Brookot, And it doesn't that just mean, like cohort, so brocod, you're the phasaurus this week.
Speaker 2: She says, whatever his previous marital drama, you mean got her all pregnant? Good lord, whatever his previous marital drama. That makes him the working man's woman's ideal partner. Today he's a high achieving alpha, but isn't threatened if his wife is two Now, I did not guess.
Speaker 1: Sobriquette means a person's nickname. Sorry, I got that wrong.
Speaker 3: I did not get alpha from that speech.
Speaker 1: I did not get alpha.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of hard boiled, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of beta, which is fine, which is fine again. I liked his speech. I thought it was cute. You can tell he does like his wife. That's important, and I do enjoy that because it's very rare in politics.
Speaker 3: You like it when your husband likes you.
Speaker 1: But it's not doesn't That does not make you a sex symbol, you know what I mean? Like, who's watching Doug m Hoff and is like, I gotta get me some of that?
Speaker 3: He compares.
Speaker 2: Sorry, She compares Doug em Hoff to Jonathan Owens, the Chicago Bears player who took time out of training camp to fly to Paris to watch his wife. A good looking guy, Jonathan Owens is a brick essay in that too, And I don't know why the why wouldn't you don't have to write this piece?
Speaker 1: Who asks for this piece?
Speaker 3: That's what That's what I will get.
Speaker 1: Who asked to picture Doug m Hoff without his clothes on as a sex symbol? You know, when you think about a sex symbol, you want to see someone topless on the cover of People magazine. You don't want to see Doug m Hoff. I mean, I'm not knocking the guy. I am a little I get that, but like I feel like not to be don Lemon. But he's primed out of being a sex symbol. I think don Lemon right, speaking of what?
Speaker 2: So she ends with this, what do women want to be valued and supported as much as they deserve, both privately and in public?
Speaker 3: On that score, m Hoff looks like a dream.
Speaker 1: This is a piece that could have been written in nineteen ninety two, it says, not need to be written in twenty twenty four. Aston answered, of course women want that. That's what we get these days. If you're not that, you're an a hole. You're Gavin Newsom. We we've gone hard against Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 3: He had a he had a rough night.
Speaker 1: Oh did he?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Can we get into that that? I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue to see him at the casino. No, but I saw him at the convention. Ah, I mean I didn't. I didn't see him at the he was at the convention.
Speaker 3: How's that? I saw him on TV front Row?
Speaker 1: Mad Joke cleil is with News Nation Washington correspondent joins us Now and Joe. A successful week for the Democrats.
Speaker 6: I think so they came in, you know, riding a little bit of enthusiasm in the polls. Things were going well for them, right, Joe Biden had been down in the swing states in some cases up up to close ten points to Donald Trump. Tamala Harris's closed that gap. So they came in with that sort of confidence, and I think they did what they were planning to do. They really wiled up that Democratic crowd. Night after night. You had the Obamas, the Clintons, and a bunch of celebrities. I thought Oprah's message that was particularly I think impacts on that crowd, and she tried to make an appeal to moderate and undecided. So yeah, that was you know, generally the candidate gets a little boost after their party's convention. We saw Donald Trump get a little boost, and we imagine that the Harris Walls campaign hoping they can also get that and try to you know, build on it moving forward.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we got seventy four days left, and now is the hard part for the for the Harris Walls campaign, which is they have to begin to define specific policies that they want to talk about. The four day party that we just witnessed was that it was a party, It was a show, and it did what I think they needed to do, which was a capitalize on that enthusiasm now comes the hard part right.
Speaker 6: Exactly. And it's a fair criticism from the Trump campaign that they have been, you know, lacking in detail on policy. Their website still doesn't have a policy section on it. We heard Kamala Harris makes her rents to certain policies in her speech last night Voting Rights Act. She endorsed the bipartisan border bill as the cornerstone of an immigration policy or the beginning of one. But we haven't really heard a lot of detail beyond that on a number of pretty serious issues. She also still has yet to do a one on one long form interview or like a long press conference. She's taking questions here and there, but no sit downs. She committed to doing that by the end of the month. It is now the twenty third, so she's got essentially a week if she wants to make good on that promise. And yeah, I mean this is going to be one and lost in the swing states. They haven't been penalized by voters yet for not rolling out policies, but you got to imagine between now an election day, the voters are going to demand, Hey, if you're asking for our votes, we're going to need to hear a little bit more about your specific plans in office.
Speaker 1: So, Joe, I'm assuming it's a bit of a delicate dance behind the scenes in terms of who gets the interview. You don't want to go to a super friendly place, so it looks like you're asking for the softballs, but you don't want to go to Fox News either.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's going to be interesting to see who lands it. And you know, you can pick out certain people who are known to do you know, tougher interviews at different outlets. But you're right, it is going to be a delicate dance for them. They have to make sure that it's it's you know, not nothing but softballs. Obviously that doesn't really garner you much respect in the eyes of most moderate or independent voters. I would suggest the place like News Nation totally unbiased to say that. But yeah, no, I think you're right about that.
Speaker 2: Read all right, So, I mean we're going to see this campaign really gain speed. Like I mentioned, the seventy four days, do you think debate time is the time for some of that policy discussion?
Speaker 6: You know, if I were the campaign, and there's a I guess reason I don't get paid do that. I think you got to start rolling out things before then, because you're going to get challenged on policies that you have, and you're going to want to sort of explain why your policy is better than the other guys. And if there's an absence of policy there, then I think it actually puts her at a disadvantage going into a campaign, because it doesn't really force Donald Trump to defend his policies if he can look at her and say, well, the alternative is, we don't know, blank page on your website, right, So I think before the campaign, before the debate, you sort of have to at least acknowledge, maybe in broad terms, what you're going to do for a lot of the specific issues that people want to hear about.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joey went to your News Nation studios in Chicago at WGN, and it was really creepy in there. There were a lot of clown paintings.
Speaker 6: Oh really, I'm a Washington correspondent, so I don't spend too much time in Chicago.
Speaker 1: I'm just letting you know, if you go there, be prepared big because it used to be the place where Bozo the Clown did the Sunday Show for children or something, and there's clowns everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's super creepy.
Speaker 1: But we had a great job. We had a great time with the news napers.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, I'm getting an uber right now to go there, and I think I'm going to just change that and go lunch instead somewhere else. Absolutely terrifying. So thank you, Thank you for the insight.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Joe, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Happy to do it, guys.
Speaker 2: Jo Khalil there again, Washington correspondent for it for News Nation. A little bit of Gavin Newsome News when we come back as well. He did a couple of interviews last night. You saw him on TV, grimacing his way through trying to pretend that he and Kamala are best best friends.
Speaker 1: Did you eat all these cashews?
Speaker 2: All of That's the smallest bag of cashews I've ever seen. There were like seven cashews in there. Did you just calorie count me?
Speaker 3: Calorie checked me?
Speaker 1: We'll continue after this.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,