Speaker 1: You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension, a dimension of sign, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance of things and ideas. You just crossed over into the twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: Last time on the twilight Zone podcast, I had my say on the twilight Zone that wasn't a twilight Zone. But now it's time for you to have your say on an occurrence at owl Creek Bridge. So as usual, the first thing we'll do is head over to the after hours club to see what the patrons there thought of it. Okay, so quite a divided result on this one. Eight percent said it was a bottom tier twilight Zone, fifty four percent said it was a middle tier, and thirty eight percent said it was a top tier. So so still leaning more towards the positives. So that's good. And a few people chimed in with thoughts. John Hayes says, it's not Twilight Zone. I'd be very interested in hearing how it came about that. They even aid her on the show, but I cannot place a show not shot by TZ as anything but bottom tier.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: John Emma says middle tier. I enjoyed the powerful closing message about the absurdity of war, as well as the artistic way this was filmed. The music and general composition were quite researched making this equality outing. I was genuinely captivated wanting to see where this was all going. But watching this also felt tedious at times, and I have no inclination to revisit it. At the end of the day. This felt shoehorned into the anthology, and my preference goes to true Rod Sailing fair every time, perhaps objectively superior, but ultimately joyless. Thank you, Emma, and we'll actually be hearing from Emma later on again. Our old friend Whitney Beeler says, it's an episode with a little different history than other tzs, but Rod was cool with it, so who am I to argue? This is top tier for me. Thanks Tom, Thank you, Whitney. My friend Chad Boykin says, suspense, other worldliness, trauma, pathos, the folly of war, black and white cinematography, and in the depths of the fourth season it gave exhausted showrunner Rod Sailing a much needed day off. Top tier. Thank you, Chad, Our old friend Cerebral p says, an amazing cultural text, a gift from France, perhaps as precious as the Statue of Liberty itself. Not often enough are we reminded of the atrocities of war, the physical and psychological agony, the ambiguity of a conflict with your own brethren, and the tolls it takes on the human heart. And a carence at al Creek Bridge reminds us that we will never sidestep or ultimate demise, and that looking back at our life in all its worth, will be our only escape. A true treasure of American literature, French cinema, and of great importance to me, as I'm sure it was to Sailing himself. I've always placed this as being the best installment of the Twilight Tone for its artistry and timeless relevance, but it bears a heavy asterisk for not being an episode itself. Top of all tears, Thank you, sir, Rebrope. Appreciate that our friend Todd Trexler says middle tier because it's a great short film, but I don't like that it isn't a proper Twilight Zone episode, almost bottom tier for me. As a resort, there's no proper Sailing intro or outro narration, just a note about where it came from. Maybe if they managed to get a monologue in there, I'd feel differently about it. Also forgot to mention that the first time I saw this it was not on The Twilight Zone, but instead in the cafeteria at my grade school as a film.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 2: Jordan Dollock says, I seem to be in the same category as many others here. It's a good short, but it's not TZ. If I'm in the mood to watch TZ. This isn't an episode I consider Champagne Drum says conflicted. Having read about us in the Twilight Zone Companion gave me an appreciation and understanding for it. Without that, I'm not sure I would have much to say about the episode. Good but not not really a true episode. Not often seen either, so casual fans who saw Teazing in the eighties reruns don't seem to know about it. My friend Killian says fine adaptation, tsiasque story, a very different style and not of a piece with the rest of the show, but it wakes Michael Fainback says, top tier, but with a huge asterisk, because as you will no doubt, discussing your analysis, its production and filming was never intended for the Twilight Zone, even though the story is a good fit. Thank you, Michael. My old friend Al Shadsmer says, this story has been dramatized several times, including on Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but this is the best of the law lyrical and dream like, with sound and image so stylized, it's not surprising to learn that it isn't real, except somehow still is surprising with an ending that's beautiful, sudden, and breathtaking. This was one of a handful of Zones that was not syndicated, so I didn't see it until I was an adult. I'm glad of that. I wouldn't have appreciated it half as much as a kid. Top tier, Thank you all. Judge Stephens says, was it good?
Speaker 3: Was it bad?
Speaker 2: It was Artie definitely. Artie would be interested what audiences at the time made of it. And then David Trimbouli says, the story is in the spirits of the Twilight Zone, but the film has elements that would have never been considered had it been an actual Twilight Zone adaptation. The soundtrack featuring the frantic drum solo as Farquhar runs through the forest and the song a living man playing as we see the beautiful close ups of the world around him are a perfect fit, and in a very unteasy moment, the viewer is jarred back to reality when confronted with the starkness of the hanging body in the final scene. Twilight Zone certainly had episodes that dealt with hanging, but they all shied away from actually showing the reality of the final moment. This is aware the addition to the series, an adaptation of a classic American short story with a production above and beyond what would have been delivered as a standard episode Top tier, Thank you, David. And then, last but not least, Lisa says mid tier for me. Beautifully shot and captured the story, but didn't seem to fit in the actual Twilight Zone universe for me personally. Thank you, Lisa. So very interesting cross section of thoughts there some people putting it as top tier as some people finding it difficult to accept as an actual Twilight Zone. So let's check out some more feedback about an occurrence at our creek bridge and see whether that trend continues. So our friend Max sent me an email, an email that he says he's been meaning to send for eight years. So Max, thank you for sticking with me for so long, And he says, I've always felt season five is the biggest mixed bag season of the Twilight Zone. To me, this season, more than any other, gives you the biggest whiplash from episode to episode in terms of quality, I think, in praise of Pip Steel and Nightmare of twenty thousand Feet is a stronger face three episode start out of the gate as you'll find in any season, only to of course follow them up with a kind of Stopwatch and Last Night of a Jockey, which sets the precedent of the roller coaster of good bad that season five gives you. And occurrence at hal Creek Bridge and its jump cut ending gave me more whiplash, perhaps than any other episode of the series. I thought this was a beautiful episode, wonderfully shot and tells a complete story in its run time. You can see the existential dread use through the screen from our protagonist as he's standing on the plank awaiting his fate. A few minutes felt like ours. The underwater shot is wonderfully lit. It's like I can feel how cold and crisp the water is. The ending was masterfully done, is seemingly never ending run to his wife. The use of the same shot for the both of them over and over only added to the tension and feeling that a bubble was about to burst. I did not expect such a striking jump cut to his hanging. This was the perfect encapsulation to this poor man's final moment and his inner mind escaping reality. One of my favorites in season five, and I wholeheartedly believe it deserves to be in the upper tier of teasy episodes. I know this is a bit long winded, and if you made it to the end, I sincerely appreciate all the work you've put into the show. This s has given me so much enjoyment over the years, and I could never repay that debt. Thanks Tom Well, thank you Max, And it wasn't long winded at all. I think you made some great points there. And yeah, season five, I agree, is probably the most uneven season out of them all, but I'm thankful for the good stuff that's in there. So thank you for your email.
Speaker 1: Max.
Speaker 2: My old friend Ben Keker, my fellow UK Twilight Zone fan has sent me this email. He says, whether seen as a legitimate episode of the Twilight Zone or not, and accrernce at ol Creek Bridge is a brilliant piece of film. The sound design, in particular, feels like a sensory experience. The sound of the lapping water and the Farquhar underwater sequence as he's desperately trying to reach the surface is incredibly effective. When he finally reaches the surface and he gasps for breath. I don't think I've ever felt so intertwined with a character on screen, and that's down to the myriad production choices which helped garner so many awards. One final thought regarding the episode's legitimacy. If a child is adopted, do you love it any less than one of your own? I like to think of an occurrence at Olkreek Bridge as the episode that Rod's sailing adopted, and it occupies a deserved place in the cannon kind regards Ben Ben. You know, I never would have thought of that comparison myself, but I think it's beautifully observed, and I thank you for making it. That's a really lovely way to put it. So thank you so much for your email. Ben Okay, So I have some voice clips which are going to play for you from listeners of the show, and I'm going to start with our old friend Joe Brown. There's a few Sailing Fest regulars here and Joe is one of them. So Joe take it away, Hey, Tom.
Speaker 4: Joe Brown here, just talking about a few things on a currents Atle Creek Bridge. You know, anytime a person that I encounter and we start talking about the Twilight Zone, or if I bring it up, hey, you ever watched it before? We always talk about what was the first episode that we've ever seen, and then it's how the conversation really takes off and goes in different directions. But what's interesting in my relationship with the Twilight Zone and how I learned about it is I couldn't really I really don't know what the first episode that I saw was. I know it was when I was younger. I think it was on the local PBS station here, but I can't pin it down. But what I can say is that when I was in the eighth grade in nineteen eighty, I was in American history class with a teacher named Missus Webber, And I'll never forget and in America. What they used to do during Great School in middle school time was they would bring in projectors and they would show movies in class and that would be the teaching element for the day or for the week, and that was the focus. Well, missus Weber brings in the projector and she puts on an Occurrence at.
Speaker 3: Al Creek Bridge.
Speaker 4: And I find it interesting because, you know, as I looked on Wikipedia and some other places, and I did read some reviews about the show. Even though I've seen it several times, I did notice that other people have mentioned that they also saw the same episode in American history class. And it just got me thinking, is there a relationship between you know, is it just a super not supernatural, but like a sci fi or a fantasy element that we can apply to American history or things that happened and kind of say, you know what we know about wars and history, but here's something you don't see. So I just thought it was a neat little antidote to begin with. But you know, I know you probably are going to talk about this on the podcast, but there's two well known versions of this show at Occurrence at ol Creek Bridge. One that's done on the Twilight Zone that I'm going to specifically talk about obviously, and then the one from Altro Hitchcock. Now, I did watch both episodes because I wanted to compare and trast compare and contrast in my mind what the differences were in any similarities, and I know that I would have to assume that you've probably done the same thing. So I'll just quickly talk a little bit about the Alfred Hitchcock one first and then focus my real thoughts on the Twilight Zone episode and the Alfred Hitchcock one. One thing I did notice is that there's a lot of dialogue. There's a lot of setup that lets you understand why is the protagonist being hung, mister Farquhar, And we get the backstory on why he's going to get hung and his.
Speaker 3: Plot to burn up the bridge.
Speaker 4: And when we go to the Twilight Zone version, which was the French production, what we get is a little piece of paper that is affixed to one of the stanchions that's holding the bridge up that basically says any tampering with the bridge or the tunnels, you will be hanged. And it's like an order of decree or something like that. And in the Alfred Hitchcock version, we kind of see the same path that's treaded that we're going to see in the Twilight Zone version. However, there's a lot more dialogue with the Farquhar character in Alfred Hitchcock, where in the Twilight Zone one there's only the words Ebbie is spoken, which is the protagonist's wife. And what I find is that a lot of the screen shots and the filming of the Alfred Hitchcock version are very set based. You obviously can see the matte paintings in the background when you see the soldiers on the bridge, Farquhar at his plantation home, and the episode ends in the same way. They both end in the same way as probably as design. I've never read the book by Ambrose Beers, but I've seen both episodes, and the one thing about the Twilight Zone episode that really sets I think it apart is that it is very atmospheric. I love how we're looking at scenes and the camera is on site. Everything is outdoors. Even when Farquhar is standing on the bridge. I like how the camera pans up to his face, the sweat beads on his forehead. He's about to get hung and then you can see where it's like a point of view camera pointing down at his feet and you can see the water below, giving you this perspective all these atmospheric conditions, the birds chirping, the water rushing. When he ends up into the river and he's swimming away, we see him going through the rapids. Like log we saw earlier floating in the water. Well, now we see him quote floating in the water, but going through the rapids. But the point of view that the director gives us as if we're there, And I just think that's a really really cool effect because I feel like I'm standing on the cliff watching this guy go through the water. And then as the episode goes, the best thing about it is it builds this tension the entire time. The whole time you're like, okay, the rope broke, and back to the offered hitchcock for a second, Farcore has to mention, oh, the rope is freyed, it might break.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: In the Twilight Zone version, we don't get that. What we get is the guy follows the rope breaks and we're like, we don't think about at least me as the viewer, Well, the rope must have been freyed. It just snapped. He got another chance. And it made me think about the episode execution or not execution but Dust, where the magic dust set the person free because the rope broke, and I'm thinking this is going to kind of be like of a remake, but it isn't. And then again, the episode takes us all the way to the end. He doesn't incur the soldiers anymore, but he does run away from a bomb that explodes upstream, and we see him do the racing, and I think the sound effect of the snare drum kind of has a double meaning. The snare drum is rattling away. Oh and while he's running, which gives us the feeling that there's speed happening here. There's a quickness, there's an urgency to get where he's going. And I'm following along right with him. Okay, he's gonna make it home, because you know, I have to assume that's what he's gonna try to do.
Speaker 3: I got to get home.
Speaker 4: And then the other piece of the drum is exactly what drum you would hear when you're setting up for a big finale.
Speaker 3: And the drum stops because he falls. You're like Oh, but that's not it. It keeps you going.
Speaker 4: He gets back up and he's running some more, and the drum beats going, and the drumm rull's going, and then when he finally gets to his wife, it comes to the client and his head snaps back and it's over. And I think in terms of the Twilight Zone having the twist at the end, this is perfect for that because it does accomplish that feat. And it kind of goes to show me that the guys that produced the show, Hirshman, Burke, Grantit, Buck Houghton, those producers, I don't think you can say that they were the only ones with the original ideas because I think that the occurrence at al Creek Bridge fits right in line with Twilight Zone and the twilight Zone structure of how.
Speaker 3: An episode is set up and executed. I think it's excellent.
Speaker 4: Now as far as the rating, you know, it's interesting when we talk about upper tier, mid tier, and lower tier. As we go through the season of the seasons and the one hundred and fifty six episode, I tend to find out that my top tier probably handles about ninety episodes. The middle tier has probably got about forty and then the bottom tier has like the rest of the twenty six. So you know, again, I'm not evenly waited at you know, fifty two, fifty two and fifty two. But if it is set up that way, I have to put a currence in ale Creek Bridge in the middle tier. If I can extend my top tier, it's going up there because I think it's an excellent piece of work. And I love the silence of it and just the ambient sounds because it does carry me along and I'm rooting for the character to get home, and when he does, we finally get the realization that it was all a dream, as Rod says in his ending comments, a dreamlike state where a man could feel like he's living or something like that. I'm just paraphrasing, but you know, one last comparison contrast, and i'll let it go here is the songs in both of the episodes. The first one where far Kohar meets up with Josh and he's like, Josh, why are you here? And you have I'm assuming, okay, Josh must be dead but he hasn't realized it yet, and Josh knows he's dead, and he's singing a song about Lazarus like the Resurrection Piece, a biblical type song. And then the Twilight Zone version one also has biblical references when it says a man is up and he walks around, And I looked that up and it said that that's in reference to Biblical verses about a man gets up and walks around and sees the bugs on the leaves and things like that. It is very interesting that both of these episodes chose songs to help drive the story, and the lyrics and the songs were both biblically based. And the end of the episode, the man ends in death and it doesn't really have to explain because whatever his crime was, that's what he was going to get. But I thought it was a really well done piece, and I recommended that to several people. Hey, you got to watch this. Rod didn't write it, but it's as good as something Rod would have wrote. Thanks Tom, Thank you, Joe.
Speaker 2: I always love it when someone sends me some feedback on an episode and they include something that I was absolutely not aware of. You know, I looked into that episode a fair bit, as you will have heard in the last show, but the biblical references and Josh singing the song about Lazarus and so on completely lost on me, and I never knew or none of that occred to me, So that's some great perspective. Thank you, Joe, and thank you for sending some feedback in always good to hear from you. And I'm looking forward to catching up at sailing Fest.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Another person that I'm looking forward to catching up with at sailing Fest hopefully is Cassie May. So let's hear it from Cassie.
Speaker 5: Hi, Tom, and all the folks listening. This is Cassie. And I actually think this is my first ever time sending feedback on a Twilight Zone episode, so let's see how this goes. But I specifically wanted to send feedback on this episode because I don't think i've seen it since my first ever watch through of the series. I mean, I remember watching it at age probably like fifteen, and I remember thinking it felt so out of place and just so meh overall. Granted, I mean being fifteen at the time, I think this may have been a bit above my attention span. But when I saw the poll posted on Patreon, I was like, I should rewatch that episode and see what I think now, and I am so happy to report that ten years later, I was able to appreciate this episode so much more this time around. I thought it was really successful at being atmospheric and immersive. The cinematography was gorgeous, especially that shot of the protagonist running down that corridor of trees. Don't even get me started, because it was stunning. There were also all of those like ambient noises that really contributed to the vibe, and I really liked those. I also think the main actor's performance in the latter half of the episode was really great and really powerful. I felt like I could feel his exhaustion as he was running through the woods, and also his joy at seeing his wife. My main qualm comes with the ending. I felt that after so much build up, not only did their reunion feel kind of like subtle to me, but also I do not understand why they had the two characters touch in the short story. It seems that the protagonist feels that like pain before he's able to touch her it all, and I think that would have made this so much more successful if they had been like inches away from even just being able to grasp one another's hands. And then we cut to that final scene, but I'm curious if other folks have thoughts on that. But with all that said, I think it's a generally good piece of media. However, it still doesn't feel super Twilight Zone to me, not that it has to be. I mean, it was its own thing, but of course I'm viewing it from a Twilight Zone lens, and I see how it could be in concept, but the tzy vibes aren't there for me, which also just further emphasizes my hypothesis that the Twilight Zone cannot possibly feel like the Twilight Zone unless it has Rod's DNA. But that's a whole other discussion for a whole other day. And I don't think I see myself rewatching this one often. I think it's a good experience, but not when I see myself being drawn too often, so I think I would in the end call it mid tier. So yes, thank you folks for your time, thank you for listening to me, and very excited to see what other people think already.
Speaker 2: Bye, Cassie, thank you so much. You make a great point about seeing it as a kid and not really appreciating it, but then seeing it as an adult and having a different perspective on that, because one of the things that I've said a million times on the podcast, or one of the things about The Twilight Zone for me was that irrespective of whether I got what Rod was trying to say, do with different levels to it, and I just enjoyed it, you know, as that quirky show when I was a kid, and I'm not sure I would have really enjoyed this one. I kind of think I needed to be an adult to get into this one, having you know, seen so many more movies and experienced.
Speaker 3: So much more in life.
Speaker 2: So I do believe that this is one I would have grown into had I seen it as a kid, I think my reaction would probably have been exactly like yours. Well, yeah, wonderful to hear your thoughts, Cassie, and you know, I hope we hear from you again on the show. Okay, So next up we have Peter Gamble and he's got some thoughts for us too, So take it away, Peter.
Speaker 6: Hi Tom, this is Peter reporting in from Adelaide, Australia. I do hope Harold Clark doesn't mind me mimicking his introduction. I always enjoy hearing what he's got to say. I started listening to the twilight Zone podcast in twenty twenty two and I'm finally caught up with all the episodes. Yeah, what can I say, I'm a slow listener, I guess. So I wanted to provide my thoughts on an occurrence at Our Creek Bridge. If Twilight Zone episodes are all presentations given at a school by Rod Serling and the other great writers on his staff, an occurrence at Our Creek Bridge is the one given by a foreign exchange student. Yeah, as far as I know, it's the only one not written, directed, or acted by the twilight Zone team. So yeah, it definitely stunds out as different. But does it still feel like Twilight Zone. Well, I guess that's up to each of us and our taste. So yeah, I sat down and watched it and sort of wrote down some of my thoughts and then I've expanded on those for this. I love the soundscape at the start of the episode. Really, the whole episodes, Yeah, got a good soundscape, but particularly at the start there's the sounds of nature with the birds chopping, but there's no no music, no dialogue. It's a very different feel to other Twilight Zone episodes given their dialogue been nature in general, and it really draws you into the scene. So the scene has, yeah, all the soldiers around and then the man who's about to be hung. I wasn't familiar with a short story when I first watched this, but I did guess that perhaps it was set during the American Civil War. I did notice when I watched it this time, the man in the noose. He's wearing a pretty fancy suit, so it's not exactly what I would picture a soldier wearing, just something that stood out to me. There's the shots of all the soldiers in the cannon, and all these seem to tell of you are just you know, how dire the protagonist's situation is. It gives the impression he's out numbered, there's no escape for him, which I think is the intended message and tended message, and it's a hint to the twist ending. Just before dropping the plank, they tie his feet up, So I'm not sure if that's a common thing to do, and if serves a purpose. Maybe it makes it harder him to flail around and kick things while he's hanging, So yeah, maybe that's why they did that. It goes into his memory, presumably with his wife and his family, and there's the sounds of these slow clicks that speed up over time. I'm still not exactly sure what these are supposed to be. My best guess is it's probably representing time passing slowly as he's going through his memory, and then they take his watch and his mind snaps back to the present. Possibly another head towards the twist, standing, Yeah, just before the plank's going to be dropped, so you really feel his despair. He's got his lips quivering, and he's got tears coming from his eyes, he's got them tight shut. I really can't remember anything similar in terms of a recent acting performance by a man about to be killed. Just feels like a very honest portrayal. He's not standing there defined like glaring at the guy's going to hang him. He's you know, he's afraid to die and he just wants to live. So yeah, I enjoyed that a lot anyway. Yeah, then the captain presumably steps off the plank, and then the rope snaps and he plunges into the water. I was very impressed with the underwater footage in these scenes. So it's like it's very clear and easy to see what's going on while he's underwater, and it's also clearly like he is actually underwater and he's actually swimming. I'm not really sure how they filmed this, and I'd be very interested to know if there are details on how they filmed this. Again, Yeah, great sound for this section as well. Everything's a bit muted, like it is when you're underwater. Really sells it. And then he breaches the surface and he does that big gasp of air to breathe in, and it's a great, you know, distinct change from the quiet beforehand. And yeah, he really sells that he needed the air. And then the song kicks in. It's not one that I'm familiar with from anything else, and I think it does fit perfectly. It's about the joy of living, and it's sung pretty simply. You know, it's not the most beautiful voice singing it, or you know, he's not doing anything fancy too much with the instruments. It's just a simple song about the joy of living really, and yeah, you can see that he's happy to be alive and he's got this huge smile. And I love that they use the shots of the centipede and the spider, you know, creatures that generally consider it to be unpleasant or frightening. I think it's saying, you know, even these animals you didn't really think too kindly of, you know, you just overjoyed that you're alive to see them. And yeah, it's a really good choice, I think, to use those rather than something a bit you know, typical, like maybe it used like butterflies or you know, rabbits or something that's you know, a bit more appealing. Anyway, then they slow down the start of the dialogue of the soldiers as they're saying something, you know, when they got about to give orders to fire and stuff like that, I think they saw, yeah, it's caught like a rat in a trap. It sounds pretty weird to me, but yeah, I guess they were showing that it was happening over a short period of time, even though you know, you had like, you know, minute or so music. Yeah, with all the soldiers firing at him and missing, Yeah, it looks pretty ludicrous if you don't know what the twist ending is. So yeah, I think this is a pretty significant glue towards that twist ending, and you know, makes it make sense in retrospect. It goes down the river rapids pretty fast at some of these points, and the rappids look a bit strong. So I do hope they did something to you know, ensure his safety because it might be a bit risky if he's just you know, putting that river by himself and told to just swim. So hopefully, yeah, they did something where when he reaches the bank, he does this great laugh of you know, joy and disbelief, and he's throwing the dirt up in the air. So I like that that part quite a lot. And again, yeah, they got the music that kicks back in at that section, and then you've got him running through the forest and there's this drumming sound, which yeah, i'd guess probably ties back to the drumming of the soldiers back at the bridge. I did notice it seemed to start and stop a lot, or like it got quiet, which yeah, was a bit odd in my opinion. I would have thought they would kind of build that drumming and it kind of gets louder until the end when he's you know snapped and he's taken back to the bridge. But I do like it, and I like that there's a lot of birds chirping as well, unless I'm mistaken from the sounds of that section. When he does see his wife and you know, she's crying, and to me, she looks like she's sad rather than joyful, Like she has this forced smile on perhaps, and gives me the impression that you know, she knows he's dead and this is entirely happening, but you know, she's happy to see him, but you know sad that he's dying. That's the impression I get, and I'm looking forward to hearing if others see the same thing, or if they see it more like she's crying to us of joy to see him. And then of course he reaches her, and then there's that great transition shot from him in her arms to him back on the noose, probably the most iconic bit of the episode really, and you know, the twist ending, and then you've got the ending ration by Rod sailing, which is pretty short and sweet. For this one, I do like the final line. This is the stuff of fantasy, the threat of imagination, the ingredients of the Twilight Zone. So to me, that's kind of saying, yes, yeah, we didn't make this one, but it does have the ingredients of a Twilight Zone, so it fits in here with the others, and that's where I land for this one. It's again very different in how it shots and how it's almost dialogue free, but there's enough common elements with what is Twilight Zone that it fits in and I'm certainly glad that it was made into one. Otherwise, yeah, I would never have seen it be probably pretty obscure and hard to come across it otherwise. And yeah, I do think it's very good. I'd probably place it top of the middle tier of Twilight Zone for me. You know, it's very well executed, but probably missing, you know, some sort of extra special elements that would put it into the top tier for me. So yeah, that's my thoughts on an occurrence at our Thanks for all your years of excellent work on the Twi Zone podcast top Your podcast has been a pleasure to listen to and I will continue to listen towards and I wish you well for your year ahead in your coverage of the remaining episodes. So thanks very much.
Speaker 2: Bye, Peter, Thank you so much. You know, I think that's probably a reason to go back and take a look at the episode see whether there is a little more detail in there that I miss because I can't recall the face of the wife. But yeah, you know, this is his reality, but is there a moment of actual reality within that where his wife is sitting there, she is sad because he is missing or because she now knows he's dead, and then he comes up to her. So yeah, I didn't get onto that at all, So thank you, thank you for bringing it up. And it's certainly something that I will check out next time I watch it. Now you invoke the name of Harold Clark, So here he is.
Speaker 7: Hey, there, Tom, Harold Clark reporting in from but to Texas talking about an occurrence at out Creek Bridge.
Speaker 6: The effects of a war.
Speaker 7: That's a common theme and the twilight zone, and here we have another angle on that. As I was watching this, I was thinking, man, how does how does this affect those soldiers that are watching this happen, you know, the ones that are along the coast there you lined up their guns that the ready. How is this affecting the dude who's tossing the rope over the bridge and the guys that are tying the cloth around his legs and feet. How's it affecting the first guy who is standing on.
Speaker 6: The board, and then you have the.
Speaker 7: Captain I guess, uh, maybe not a second guy to stand on the board who actually actually steps off the board to to commence the hanging. You know, how does how does that affect them?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: Do they just get numb to it? Is this somehow in this crazy idea of a war, a relief of seeing somebody hung as opposed to you know, shooting somebody themselves or stabbing somebody. You know, I'm glad that I've never had to think about what that would be like. But you know, we have wars and wars and wars and wars and wars, and who again obviously affected you know, it affected Rod severely with what he saw, even in a I guess you would call it a non combat situation. So yeah, the effects of war always a always a relevant.
Speaker 6: Thing to cover.
Speaker 7: So near the end, a large iron gate double gate opens up, and I hadn't remembered that from when I've watched it in the past, but I thought, you know what, that's that's a clever I thought that was a clever idea because if you happen to be one of the viewers that thought, there's no way all of those you know, well, one that he didn't drowned because he was under the water for quite a quite a long time. And two all of those soldiers couldn't hit him, not once. So if you had some doubts, I can imagine when you saw those gates open up, you thought, ah see, he didn't make it out alive, and this is heaven, or at least how he This guy perceives heaven, very country style heaven, which is not unlike you know, the the heaven that was envisioned in the Hunt. So I thought that was a clever idea. I don't know if that's in the original short story, but I thought, okay, you know you they're they're they're setting you up going okay, here you go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's in heaven.
Speaker 7: And then for me came the Mandela effect because what I remember again, I remember the twist of the story that this all happens in the blink of an eye. But man, I thought, for sure, I remember that he makes it, gets up to his wife. They they hug, they embrace, and her hands slowly go up to his neck and start to squeeze his neck, and the look of joy on his face turns from joy to confusion as he's wondering what is going on, And there's a couple of seconds where she just keeps squeezed and squeeze and squeeze, and it confusion goes to fear and then they show the hanging. So, uh so I was quite quite surprised when it happened really quick. I was like, oh, so it it caught me off guard, like I'm sure very first viewers would have had. So, you know, so that was a nice That was a nice, pleasant surprise, if you call it, I want to call it that. So anyway, I mean, you know, what can you say about the episode? I mean, uh, you know, it does have the all the qualities of a Twilight Zone episode, you know. I mean, like I said, it gave me a couple more things to think about it about just the horrors of war, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I.
Speaker 7: Guess I don't know if this was the first story to ever put forth this idea that you know, seconds before you die, you relive your life or things like that. I do remember hearing that one of my guilty pleasure movies, Sucker Punch. I remember Snyder saying that that movie was inspired by this episode, and for those who've seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. And if you haven't seen it, well, I highly recommend you see it. If not see it, go on YouTube and look up all the action sequences because the action, the fantasy action sequences are are fantastic. But and again, if you haven't seen the movie, give it a watch, and you know when you make it through, you go ah, yep, that is a modern day occurrence at al Creek. So anyway, interesting to hear what you have, what you've uncovered, Tom And and because I'm sure your your research is going to be have notatch. So anyway, onward to the next episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, Harold. If there's one thing that I never thought I would hear in this feedback episode, it is that sucker Punch was based on an occurrence at our Greek Bridge. But I haven't seen soccer Punch. I've heard some not great things about it, but you did say it's a guilty pleasure, and at the end of the day, you know we need not be guilty about the things we enjoy. So yeah, I will give it a shot. Thank you, Harold, and thank you for your clip. Always good to hear from you and another one who I'm looking forward to seeing its sailing fest this year. Okay, So to close things out and to say thank you as well, really, I'm going to close out with my friend Emmanuel, my French correspondent for all Things Twilight Zone, who very kindly did the translation of the French dialogue for me from the French version which you had in the actual episode. So thank you so much, Emmanuel for taking the time to do that, and I'm so glad that you followed that up with a clip for the show. So let's have a listen to what Emmanuel has to say.
Speaker 8: Hi, Tom, it's Emanuel inspired to share some feedback about the French Twilight Zone episode. I watched it without knowing any of the backgrounds, simply expecting a regular episode of the Twilight Zone, if there is such a thing. So at first I was quite quick to dismiss it, and I thought, why am I watching a French art house film from the sixties. This isn't what I came here for. I was also slightly put off by the formalism, which initially felt out of place in the anthology. I also was not familiar with the Ambrose beer story and naturally assumed that the hero was just an innocent civilian caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. And for me, the episode was primarily about the absurdity of war based on that lengthy procedural opening, and even thought of such films as all Quiet on the Western Front. But then I was quite taken by the wonderful song I Want to Be a Living Man and became very absorbed in the hero's desperate flight. Generally did not see the final twist coming, except perhaps when the plantation gates open magically, which was a bit of a giveaway from me. I also found it interesting that instead of seeing his whole life flash before his eyes, which would be the stereotype, he clings on to the essential and primitive things in life, you know, nature and finally his wife. I also loved small touches like the watch being taken away and it seems it stops time. Maybe anyway, by the end, I thought, look, it's black and white, it has a devastating twist, it deals with war and delusion, and Rodsoning clearly went out of his way to bring it to American audiences, so there's no doubt that it does have its place in the Twilight Zone anyway, Thanks for the great podcast, Take care.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, Emmanuel, Thank you so much. I cannot think of a more poetic way to end the coverage of an occurrence at how quick Breaks and to have someone from next versions origent country feeding back on it. So thank you so much. Just to pick up on what you said about you know, Rod made the effort to bring this over and I think that's the thing, isn't it that you know we might have this discussion and it's been an enjoyable discussion about whether if it's in the Twilight Zone or or whether it's real Twilight Zone, et cetera, et cetera. But it comes down to one thing, really, and I remember saying this the in the after show for people who aren't aware. Over on Patreon, I do the twilight Zone after Show, which is more of a discussion format where we'll talk about an episode. This one was actually a pre show. I did it months ago before I actually made the main show episode. Anyway, it's all getting very confusing, but one of the things I said in that episode was if the boss Man says it's in, then it's in. And really that's what it comes down to and like you said, Emmanuel, Rod Sailing says, it's in.
Speaker 3: So it's in.
Speaker 2: Great to hear from you, and thank you so much again for your help with the episode. I really appreciate it. So there we go Al Creek Bridge, possibly the last deep dive of the Twilight Zone. You know, it's always been a pleasure when I start to cover an episode and you go down the rabbit hole and there is just so much to it that it ends up being one of these bigger things. And if this is the last one, which I think it probably is, then I'm a little sad about that. I'm a little sad about that. If it is to be the last one, then you know, I think it was an interesting episode to finish on. But anyway, thank you everyone for your feedback and your thoughts. Next up on the Twilight Zone Podcast, I am hard at work on the next episode, so hope you won't be waiting too long for that. I have an interview coming up with the writer of a new book about Rod Sailing, so that's going to be coming out soon, and maybe we'll get back to our comic book coverage at some point. There's a lot going on in the twilight Zone at the moment, and I think I'll be putting out a short episode very soon as well to tell you what my involvement at Sailing Fest is going to be okay, so look out for that and I'll speak to you next time. Bye for now one