Speaker 1: A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now we're approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables, our coverage of some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pwtorch dot com slash go vip. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card in one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com, Slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now, PW Torch and Spreaker bring you the Wade Killer Pro Wrestling Podcast. It's time for this week's Interview Classic, where Wade Killer interviews one of Pro Wrestling's newsmakers.
Speaker 1: Five years ago. This week, I interviewed Matt McCarthy. He's an ex WWE Creative Team member. He's also a stand up comedian, progressling podcaster. He's been in TV commercials. In this two hour plus interview, we talked about WWE's Clash of the Champion's pay per view lineup with an examination and critique of the storylines building up the matches. Matt also took us behind the scenes to how finsic Man operates when it comes to developing, augmenting, and stubbornly sticking to certain storylines. We also brought up mail Bay questions and look to head to the eightw versus NXT Battle, the Impact Wrestling News, and also with Matt, we go to fun places, references, analogies to Watchmen, The Simpsons, Breaking Bad, Nicholas Cage and Dave Chappelle. Real fun interview, Always a fun conversation with ex WW creative team member Matt McCarthy, and this one originally live streamed on September thirteenth, twenty nineteen, five years ago this week and it is today's Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast five years ago Flashback Interview Classic again for Saturday, September fourteenth, twenty twenty four. Here we go, all right, Matt McCarthy, Clash a Champions. First question, what are you most looking forward to? What match are you most anticipating, either because it'll be a good match or you're just curious to see how it plays out?
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, I don't know. I don't know about this thing. Maybe Kofi and Randy if Randy's okay after getting blasted with that chair, Yeah, that was gross. You can't. I mean, I like when I was in we went to Chicago for All Out and then we went to aaw you know Thursday and Friday. Yeah, and uh, I forget the guys. I don't know the individuals names in LAX, but the guy that used to have the big afro and I was his hair is much shorter. He takes some laughs to the head like that are unnecessary, and uh, you know so, I mean the day of open unprotected chair shots are gone. But then you get like somebody like Randy who gets hit in the back of the head and he's I mean, that's that's Randy's problem area is his shoulders, his neck and his head. Yuck. But h but that.
Speaker 1: Randy has spent ten years calling KOFE stupid, so.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true. Yeah, no, I'm When I saw that happen, I was. My first thought was because you know, they showed Koffee walking around backstage at the Garden and he sees that frame picture of the night that, you know, the night he was made or whatever they referred to it as, you know, him and him and Randy and that killer match they had back in the day. And when I first saw that, and I love KOFE. I love KOFE. But when I first saw that image, I was it struck me as humorous because it didn't feel like, oh, here's the night I was made. It felt like, oh, here's that last time that they almost pushed me. But once Randy got blasted in the back of the head, which is the worst thing that can happen to anybody. I suddenly saw an image of Koffee watching that footage in a frame picture backstage somewhere, and he's like, oh, yeah, that's the night that I met. It all ended for me, you know, because the maybe not so much anymore, but it's you know, oh you hurt, Randy, You're out of a job type of thing. But so hopefully that match comes off that could be really good.
Speaker 1: You know, Bailey and Charlotte before before we actually move off from from kofee and Randy, because you you work behind the scenes in WWE, and you've you've watched w B before and after extensively, but from from your time there, are you surprised now where KOFE is? And I guess I'll ask the same question, even though I anticipate the answer a little bit. Same with Randy Orton, like they're essentially co headlining Class of Champions, not a uh, top of the line pay per view title for WWE. Uh, but are you are you surprised that KOFE is getting this run with the title and what in your experience and knowledge worked either for or against it. I think you touched on some of it, but what do you, what do you think of the fact that he's there, how he's doing in the odds of it happening.
Speaker 3: Well, I am surprised that they finally I don't know. I don't know if I could say that they pulled the trigger on Kofee. I mean, which is odd because it's like, he's the champ if you want to put the ww Championship ahead of the Universal Championship, which the argument could be made either way, but for all intents and purposes, he is the champ, which does surprise me from a Vince McMahon standpoint. For me as somebody who interacted with Kofee, worked with Kofee, and then watched Koffee before and after. You know, the word surprise might might might not be the best from my perspective, but it shouldn't have taken as long. But now that we're here, it's great. I don't feel like they pulled the trigger on him because in in my opinion, in my you know, point of view on on booking Kofee, they should have turned him heal because it was when when the New Day was healed, I was what was what was really surprising to me was how good Kofe is at being a heel, being that you know, jovial, having a good time, but kind of rubbing my face, you know, rubbing my nose and that type of thing. And I think that that would elevate him. Him still being part of a trio. Doesn't feel like they've pulled the trigger on him, you know, him still throwing pancakes to people while it's entertaining. I'm like, it doesn't. All he is is he's still that same guy but with a belt, whereas if he really is going to be like a champion, like and it's such an easy story to tell, you know, of like because I feel like the New Day is a little stand anyway, I think they happened for a while. You can still have Xavier and big Eat together as that you know, you know, very entertaining baby face combo. But it's such an easy story to tell of, Like, you know, the belt goes to Kofe's head that he you know, is better than them, that he doesn't and you can still plug him into a program with Randy because Randy is Randy's Randy. Whether he's a baby face or a heel, you know, I mean, it's it's he's one of those, he's almost he's like a big show of like you know, the I mean, not the level of flip flopping they do with the big show, but it's just kind of I don't know, Randy's just kind of there. Yeah, I mean, it's just he is that thing of like, you know, here he is, he's Randy and he's upset again, or he's you know, beating somebody up. But yeah, it's it's it's they almost On the one hand, they've they've gone all the way with Kofe, but I think that they could take it further.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a chance to that. Part of the trajectory of Kofe's push at the stage of his career is to go heal. I mean, to me, turning somebody heel when they're pretty popular is better than turning someone heel because their babyface character is cold. So the reason not to turn kofee is not because he's getting over as a baby face. The reason to turn Koffee would be because a people wouldn't see it coming, would feel jarring because they're invested in him and care about him. And I think that's true with fans right now. But I think the risk reward is in favor of a heel turn. Now, I think he can be just fine as a baby face. I'm not against him staying face. But when you're kind of calculating, should we do it, would it be a surprise?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Would he be good at it is you just talked about? Yes, Are we losing Stone Cold Steve Austin at his peak babyface drawing power? No? Are we losing John Cena, the face of the company who can go out to the other tradey work? No? And as a heel is he gonna be good? Will a shock people? And are their opponents that we can line up against them that we think will work. If the answer to that is yes, I think it's worth considering, especially if they're kind of weak on that heel side. So I'm intrigued by that, you know, I mean, there's a whole whole array of possibilities. Do you kind of agree with that calculation approach?
Speaker 3: Oh? Big time? Because I always think of when we were getting into the later part of ninety eight. I think Stone Cold had gone in for the surgery, maybe where a Stone Cold wasn't on TV and it was leading into No, it wasn't ninety eight it would have been ninety nine when we were leading into that. Was it ninety eight? Ye? Yeah, yeah, it was ninety eight. It was we were going into the Survivor Series ninety eight when they did the tournament title was vacant. Stone Cold wasn't on TV, and Rock had been a heel that whole summer and into the fall, but like a fun heel, like a cool heel that the the people were starting to gravitate towards and starting to come around on, you know, kind of like Jericho in that exact same time period. And when it came down to and it was it was one of the most well booked pay per views I think that they ever did at WWF where it was you know, it finally came down to Mankind's and the Rock for the belt and then it finally everything made sense all at once. And mcfoley wasn't the McMahon's choice. Rock was, you know, the McMahon's choice, and Rock was hot going to that, and like he was like, you know, like I said, like Stone Cold wasn't on TV at that point, and Rock was kind of slipping into that spot of like, oh, here's you know, the young, hot baby face and then immediately they turn him heel and you already had the built in story of you know, the fans booed me die, Rocky Die. Now the Rocks a millionaire. He's the ww of Champ and he's still that same character and was doing even better stuff. Was even more effective here. I mean, like Kofi, it's it's it's even simpler of like, you know, the fans weren't with me, you know, the McMahons weren't with me. I do this all on my own. I didn't need Xavier and Biggie. I use them and blah blah blah. You know, it's it writes itself, and.
Speaker 1: He can I don't know, he can complain about Seth at that point. He can complain about Seth and Becky being the power couple. They're on the cover of the magazine. Seth's the one who's the leader now and here I am. You know, yeah, I mean there's there's ways to tell that story and pluck things out to too where fans are kind of rolling their eyes going I get where he sees it, but settle down. It's you know, like that's that's you don't want him to sound like to me Randy on on Tuesday this week sounded too accurate, like I wanted to come back when Randy's like, well, yeah, you had that one moment ten years ago. Think of all the things I've done since that, and to me, Kovie didn't respond, the announcers didn't respond, there was no pushback. I don't get a little off on a sidebar here, but I wanted Kofe to go, Randy, you don't think I've accomplished anything in ten years, and then rattle off all of his wins. He's had really big moments, maybe not at Randy's level, but that's sort of the issue of him being the Cinderella story that they're pushing him ass. But you don't want to heal the sound, right, is kind of my point. No, so when Kofe goes heal, the idea would be pluck some things that have a touch of reality where fans go ah, and then they just think he's overreacting, he's being too dramatic about it.
Speaker 3: M yeah, yeah, I mean there it is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, well let's let's uh, do you have any expectation KOFE doesn't retain the title? I mean, as it possibly go into the Fox Era with Randy Orton as a champ because he's the legacy star.
Speaker 3: I don't. I mean, look, there's the.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't say any chance when I asked these questions, right, would you put your money on it?
Speaker 3: Right? I would keep the title on KOFE. Randy is you know, Randy's Randy. Randy's just kind of there, and he's frankly kind of cold. He's just kind of always cold, just because he's just kind of well, he's just Randy.
Speaker 1: We're about to go to a commercial break. Why listen to commercial breaks when you can go VIP and experience our shows with the ads and plugs removed. Pw torch dot com slash go vip. That's pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details, or go to Patreon, Patreon dot com slash pw Torch. VIP rate start as low as four dollars in ninety nine cents to remove the ads and plugs through Patreon. Full VIP membership starts at nine dollars in ninety nine cents to reach yourself to a streamlined, ad and plug free listening experience with a VIP or Patreon membership and when you say grandy, you had experiences with him, I mean, give up a little insight into what you mean. We know Randy on air is Randy, but what is behind the scenes. I mean, I've heard stories of him, many stories about him, you know, but like it's like he gets his script, he paces back and forth, he memorizes it, he delivers it. He's got limited things he'll do in the ring. He's confident that what he does is enough and sufficient and good. Tell me if you think that's sort of right, and then add some color to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think he's a little more of a perfectionist as far as his entering goes. And I think that you can see in matches when he's not getting the response he wants from the crowd, he is vocal about that frustration. And it's not in a in character way. You know, he gets, you know, frustrated with the audience. And clearly he's you know, outrageously talented. He's one of the best, absolute best entering workers they have, they've ever had since he's been around. But you know he's also Randy is uh there to He's at work and when it's time to clock out, he's like anybody else at their job, he's excited to go home, you know. I mean Randy is uh, you know, it's you can love your job and still be like when's the day going to be over? And he does have a lot of that attitude, you know, off camera, but you know, I mean it's just as far as on camera, I've never fully understood what the Randy Orton character is supposed to be. I've always found it a little flat. But as far as the actual guy, I mean, he's he understands who he is, and he's uh, you know, he's Randy and he's he's sometimes he's I mean I've seen him, uh the script gets changed and it's kind of like, actually, you know what, maybe we don't need Randy this you know, this week, and he can actually take off and he's thrilled with that. You know, there are some guys who would be you know, that would trigger some insecurity would be like, what do you mean you don't need me? Like Randy's like, great, thank you. You know He's like I don't see you, you know. So is that part of who he is or is he just secure? Like they have really made him feel secure in his job and clearly as a viewer. You know, Randy is in no uh is no uh a danger of you know, not being utilized even when they kind of you know, I mean, he's always going to be a top star, but you know he's not. He's just hasn't always been on the top of the top. You know, he's just you know, he's never been a mid card guy, and he's never been a you know, a prelim guy. But is he kind of always been on the very top of the pecking order. No, but he still gets treated as such. But you know, Randy's Randy's no bs, and he'll tell you exactly what he thinks. He will tell you exactly what he thinks to your experience.
Speaker 1: Do the writers and do his colleagues enjoy working with him or enter interaction with him with any kind of trepidation or just mental preparation, Well, yes.
Speaker 3: And no. I mean, Randy is he's a cool guy and he's you know, it's it's you know, interacting with him isn't difficult. But he is somebody that when you bring him something, you should be prepared for him to give his feedback and if he doesn't like something, he will tell you and if there is, you know, it's kind of an ongoing thing. I would mention on the Rewatch Wrestling podcast as I was there at a time when they pulled the they kind of threw the gauntlet down and they were like, no more punt kick, because the feeling was from the higher ups. If if it looks worked, it looks kind of lousy, and if it looks real, it's because he actually did kick the person in the head, and then that's a problem. You know. So it was one of these things where it was like, you know what, let's just he can't use it anymore. And I was there when that came down, and from that point forward, that's basically all he wanted to talk about, you know, And it became a kind of you know, oh so we can hit Paul Bear with a truck, but I can't use my punt kick. You know. It's like, oh, we can you know, I can threaten this person's life, but I can't use my punt kick. And it was just kind of like, you know, the interactions I had with him. I think he was in a program with Kane as a matter of fact at the time, and it was just kind of like, you know, I would give him the rundown of the show, and he's like, well, X, Y and Z can happen, but I can't use my punt check. And I'm like, Randy. They talked to Hunter about it because I got I did not make the call. He knows that, but you know, it's it's just like anybody who's who is invested in their you know, art, and is frustrated because it's it's you're basically telling someone you know that they're not good at what they're doing. You know, it's like, well, we're not going to use the punt kick because if you're not kicking the person, it looks bad. And if you are kicking them then then that's not wrestling. So I would I can appreciate that level of frustration. You know. I was in a movie once where they took a line away from me and I and I felt it's building where I'm like, I'm not delivering this line well, and then they gave it to another actor and then I was like, you know what, like that's that's not me. But it's also it's like, you know, uh, okay, I get it. I get it, but doesn't feel good, But all right, let's move on.
Speaker 1: Speaking of moving on, let's uh, let's let's move on and introduce ourselves. We've covered one match, Matt, there we go. This is the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast for Friday, September thirteenth, twenty nineteen. Thanks for downloading or streaming the show today. I'm Wade Keller, host of the program, and I'm joined by Matt McCarthy, an ex WWE Creative Team member, professional standup comedian and actor, and also host of the Watch Wrestling podcast. He is at McCarthy redhead on Twitter. Did I get all that right?
Speaker 3: Matt? You absolutely did all forms of social media at McCarthy redhead.
Speaker 1: And tell people more about your podcast and why they might be interested in clicking subscribe on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we watch wrestling podcasts. We do new issues every Wednesday. This week we had a live show that we did in Los Angeles. There was our sixth anniversary show. And next week is our live show that we did in Chicago on All Out Weekend, and that show we actually have. One of our dear friends is a guest on the show, Marty de Rosa from Martin Saya Loves Wrestling and all aaw and lots of other amazing things. And me and my co host Vin Tabril, we're both comedians and we're both die hard wrestling fans, and we have been watching our whole lives, and it really is that's the heart of the show. We don't typically have guests. It's usually just me and Vince just talking and you know, and trying to celebrate pro wrestling and not just you know, talk about everything that we don't like about it, like why they do this, why they do that, and especially in this day and age that we're living in right now, we are so lucky to be wrestling fans that it's like it's it's we're wasting our time if we talk about the stuff we didn't like. It's like there's so much out there to enjoy, and so, you know, we're always going to shows. We went to Chicago the weekend before that, we were at the j Cup Finals out here in LA and we're gonna go to PWG A Battle of Los Angeles next weekend, and you know, just really appreciating that. I remember when we first started doing the show years ago, it's almost like be careful what you wish for, because I found like an old TV guide and I was like, you know, if you were living in a certain part of the country, all the different wrestling that you could be watching. Like when I was a kid in the eighties, it's like, you know, you had WWF on channel nine and on your Fox affiliate or whatever on USA on Monday night, and then you watch Saturday night at six oh five pm on TBS, and then if you had cable, you could watch maybe the Van Erks on ESPN, and you know, maybe you had some other cool local thing if you were in Memphis or you know, Portland or wherever else now.
Speaker 1: And if you were at a furniture store with your mom at age twelve and world class Famia wrestling was about to begin in five minutes, you started panicking and life was about to come to a complete end if we didn't just get out of there and get home. That is a very different world. Also, yeah, could go on. That's a real story.
Speaker 3: I mean I remember watching like a full morning of cartoons on Saturday and my mom coming in the room being like, all right, you've been watching two stee me go outside and play, and I'm like, no, it's almost noon. Like wrestling. Saturday afternoon wrestling is about to start, Like I would have not watched the Smurfs and and all that stuff and dragons if but man, I could have watched wrestling and I got to go upside. But yeah, man, now it's like God with the Internet and a EWS starting and now Impact is going to be starting on Access in October apparently, and it's it's there's a lot, man, and I live in Sokow, so I get to go to all these cool live shows all the time. I mean, it's almost it's almost too much. I almost missed when there was no practically no wrestling that you.
Speaker 1: Know, it feels like it might almost speech much. I want to talk about all some of that other stuff with you as the show progresses. Well, let's not do twenty minutes on each of the class matches. I definitely enjoyed the KOFE Randy discussion. I'm a little worried if we get into the build up to Braun and Rowan. Excuse me wrote God Roman? Because of Rowan and Roman, I don't want to say them back to back because it's a tongue twister. Then I just randomly throw another name. Roman reigns Eric Rowan, the who Done It? Storyline as a as a discerning viewer, I am of logic and all that stuff and discussions we've had before. What has been your range of emotions watching this this storyline also involving Daniel Bryan and the Rowan look alike, who I feel like that was a like a fever dream, like that didn't even happen because it just came at the end of an episode ever brought up again? Yeah, So anyway, your your thoughts on this. I mean, I have somewhat facetiously called this the worst storyline in WWE history, and I can defend that, but I have to tweak the criteria a little bit in order to customize it to it being the worst ever. But I can make that case, but I have been really frustrated by how sloppy and unprofessional, and I just think consulting this whole thing has been from the beginning, We're gonna have an attempted murder by some heel tell the storyline horribly in a completely illogical way, and then in the end, the revenge is a babyface who doesn't really talk about it much, trying to pin the shoulders to the matt for account of three to get revenge for attempted murder. I mean, they're like, the whole premise is just flawed. It doesn't fit pro wrestling to do murder storylines. And if you're gonna do it, do it well. It'll still suck, but at least do it well. And they haven't done a wall, so I have totally loaded my question. But what have you thought of it?
Speaker 3: Mat No? No, I mean, you know, if we exclude things that are just downright offensive and bad taste, it probably is one of the worst storylines that has been presented. Because, yeah, once when the stakes are too high, it can't be resolved in a wrestling match, even a no DQ match. It's funny now that I have the full card in front of me once again, there are way too many championships in WWE, because out of eleven matches, this is the only non title match.
Speaker 1: I wish they would cancel it because it's class of champions on a There should be like a lawsuit brought to the district court that this can't even be on the class because that would be fine with me, right Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean I have basically had, you know, very little interest in the you know who who shot Roman storyline? You know who killed Jr. It's just but yeah, I mean it the guy that kind of looked like Eric Rowan having a towel over his head for an entire you know, night of SmackDown and just sitting there doing nothing, and then they pulled the thing off of his head and he's just the older version like it was it Rowan Dad what I don't know? And then it I don't know. Basically it it's Eric Rowan versus. Do I have interest in that match? With or without the build? No? And that's really what we're left with. Where is Daniel Brian and all this? I have no idea. I could see when this all started. I could at least see the logic of, all, right, this is they're drawing this out further than because this started before SummerSlam. That's crazy to think of it in terms of that. And it's almost like I was like, Okay, wellther they've been drawing this out longer than it would take to get this to SummerSlam. If we're going to do Roman Rains versus Daniel Brian, now I could at least see the booking logic of Okay, we're going to draw this out. We can do some TV stuff with Roman Reigns and Eric Rowan, because there's more than one heel involved in this thing, then they kind of I don't know. I just I've worked with Vincent Man and I've heard him say the words of oh, you got to take him for a ride. So then all of a sudden, once Buddy Murphy's involved, I'm like, all right, are we muddying the waters or are we just extending this program? Because I'm all for a long drawn out program. But the you know, there has just been such a there's no logic, you know, and it's funny. I mean, it's it's it's you know, I've been watching so much Harley Race after he died that it was comical to me of like I forgot like in a day and age when you know, did people still believe in the product? Did they still think it was real? Maybe?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Did anyone ever, I don't know. I can't say. But the idea that the world heavyweight Champion is on television with a briefcase full of money, screaming, somebody take out Rick Flair, some collect this twenty five thousand dollars. I'm sick of Ric Flair. And then comparing it to a legitimate sport. If like Michael Jordan was on the TV screaming like I will pay twenty five thousand dollars to anyone that will hurt Larry Bird, so he could not participate in this basketball game, like get out like anyone, Magic Johnson, you can have all this money, just take out Larry Bird. I'm sick of Larry Bird. So this idea of like, it's not the reason I bring it up is like, it's not a brand new idea of Well, if I just take out the competition, then I will have no competition. So it's is daniel'brien the brains behind this? Have they drawn it out too far? Like was it? Did Eric Rowan go into business for himself? Like the Rakishi thing, hitting Austin with the car and all that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm Chris Maitland and I'm Justin McClellan. We host Wrestling Coast to Coast where we scour the wrestling scene to find the best wrestling from the smallest places.
Speaker 5: There are thousands of matches happening every week, so Wrestling Coast to Coast is here to discover the men and women be big time stars in a few years.
Speaker 4: There are plenty of podcasts de voters at WW and AW, but what's happening in the armories and gymnasiums local wrestling hotspots around the country.
Speaker 5: We can't wait to help you find the true hidden gems of the wrestling world. Plus you can hear Chris complain about bad referees.
Speaker 4: And justin bemoaning dogpow fins.
Speaker 5: Don't forget my feudal search to see a blue Thunderbomb win a match.
Speaker 1: How can I like?
Speaker 4: The name says we cover the hottest independent promotions from around the country, such as Prestige Action, West Coast Pro, Revolver, and Beyond Wrestling.
Speaker 5: Actually, Chris, I think we stick pretty much too Wrestling.
Speaker 1: No, I mean Beyond Wrestling out of Wooster, Oh right.
Speaker 4: Our show's part of the PW Torch Daily Cast lineup and typically drops on Thursdays. Search PW Torch in your podcast app as, subscribe to the PW Torch Daily Cast, or stream our shows directly from PW touch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torchdailycast lineup at pwtrschdailycast dot com.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, It's just I get once this whole thing started. The second that something like a bunch of scaffolding or whatever it was almost fell on Roman Range. I was like, immediately, I feel like I've seen this before and I already don't care, you know, from the from from the word go, I was like, this has just been done. It's just not good at this.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing too that strikes us.
Speaker 3: I think, no, no, I think Vince's Vince is surrounded by very talented creative people and and and deaf storytellers. But I think the Vince is a promoter, and give him something to promote, and if it's a who done it? Then Vince's inclination is to put a hat on a hat and it's like, well who done it? No, we need well who did this? Who did that? What did Buddy Murphy c? Who's the man? And then you get Vince in the room the next week and he's just like he's like, nobody remembers that. Move on now it's you know it. There's a there's not a lot of give and take with Vince. With the audience. He feels like, well, if Vince doesn't remember something, he feels like, well, nobody remembers it or Vince has decided that he doesn't care anymore. He's also decided that the audience doesn't care anymore. And it's like, well, we're making the audience not care by not following through on X, Y and Z, and it makes it a little more difficult as a viewer, to especially a seasoned viewer. It's not thinking, all right, well put it this way. With AW I have at LEA or New Japan. It's probably a better example because AW doesn't have TV yet, But with New Japan, I am much more inclined to believe it's going somewhere, and I'm much more willing to say, all right, well let's see where this is going. And basically, more times than not, and I don't even know if it has been a knot, there is always payoff, and I can look back and say, oh my gosh, look at all the seeds that were planted, kind of like that you know, Rock angle from twenty years ago leading into that Survivor series. I go back and like everything that was presented as oh wow, Rock lucked into this. Then I can look back and be like, oh wow, that was their plan all along, you know, which is that that's what.
Speaker 1: You hope for Yeah, that's what you hoped for. You But if you are watching a movie by a director that that has a history of not paying things off and having the murderer be a new character in the last scene, you know you right, you disinvest pretty early and that's why you saw The Greats fall over and you're like, Okay, but no, this isn't gonna be good.
Speaker 3: Right. But but all that being said, I have enjoyed this, you know, series of television, but for all the wrong reasons, Like I enjoy watching you know, Canon films or you know Edwood movies. Like I was just at I was just at a thrift store and I saw a movie with Michael Dudakov and I was like, oh my gosh, I have to buy this, not because I think Michael Dudakov is the world's best actor, but because he was in and I was like, oh, this is gonna be preposterous, you know, Like like I've been collecting Nick Cage movies. Nick Cage is a kind of a I'm digressing now, but it is it's like is he good? Is he bad? Does he know what he's doing? And there is an instrigue there, But I just know that I'm entertained by it. With Vince McMahon, there are times when I'm like, I'm going to keep watching because I'm just fascinated to see what Vince is going to do next, you know, like where where is this going to lead us? Because when when they pulled the towel off of the old Rowan, I was on the floor and I was like, you have got to be kidding me. I'm not expecting a follow up, but if there is one, I'm on the edge of my seat. And you know, there wasn't really much a follow up with and I wasn't expecting ones to begin with.
Speaker 1: And then we get granny footage that might be Rowan, it might be the wrong and look alone right, and Brian is one hundred percent convinced it's Rowan, could be the wrong lookalike. But unless Brian knows there there like, there was no Rowan look alike. He just hired the guy, so then he knows it's not him. But Brian, in his mind should be thinking, nobody else knows that I hired this guy who looks like sort of like Rowan to be the culprit, So why am I Why can't I just point at the screen and go, oh, yeah, that's the guy on I took the to hood off of last week, like he instantly just gave up Rowan. And then we have the confusion over our Rowan and Brian both bad guys. Did one of them turn? Who were? Who side are we supposed to be on? I mean, it's it's such a mess. I can't even my brain around it. It's so awful now. Writing aside, I think that Brian's been fun to watch. Brian's always fun to watch, and I thought rowand and I thought Rowan did a nice job this week on the promo. I mean, I'm I don't know what to expect from him in the ring in an elevated situation. I think everyone saw Luke Carper is a better worker between those two. I still don't know quite where this is going. Does Roman just beat him and that's it and then we just sort of pretend never happened to move on and go to Fox or Or is this stage one in Daniel Brian being revealed as some sort of mastermind after all, and this is to build up Roman versus Brian. But in the end, I don't think this storyline has has intrigued people enough to be worth the nonsense that it didn't have to be this bad. But even if well done, you just can't pull off murder storylines where the payoff is a wrestling match. Even a hell want to sell Brian Rowan a hell and a cell doesn't work. It's that shouldn't be how you build up fees in pro wrestlings. I mean, I say that about something subjective, but I believe that is objectively true.
Speaker 3: No, No, they heightened too much. And then, you know, because it's it's like pro wrestling is you know, I mean, it's the thing I feel like we talked about it last time, and it is that thing of like you it's a soap opera. But you can't do the The stakes can't be too high because the only payoff is going to be a wrestling match, you know, Like it can be. It can be we don't get along. It can even be I don't know, like like even like you know, Dusky Roads getting attacked in the parking lot by the four Horsemen. It's like, I guess, on on on paper, they could have killed him, you know, like it, but I mean it's like, but they broke his arm or whatever they did or like you know, Greg Valentine breaking Wahoo's leg. It's like that's that's how you start a program. Or you know, if we're if we're going to start it with physicality, because then it needs to end with physicality. It was just gonna start I don't know, I mean trying to take somebody out like a you can't.
Speaker 1: Like what every three years you can do something that's outside the bounds of because you want to shock people, and then you have to do it well, but not outside the mounds like attempted murder, but like you know, a parking lot attack, like it can really mean something if you don't do it a lot, and when you do it, you do it well, and you don't do it to make a few no one cares about relevant. You have to do it to elevate a feud. Because fans are so invested, you can kind of get away with it. But otherwise, if you're a pro wrestling, if you're in the progressing business and you're creating storylines, you're vincent man. You're one of the writers. Whatever it. If the premise of all your writing isn't that everybody has gathered here, all these world class athletes to find out who the best professional wrestler is. If that's too boring for you and you think no one will want to watch it, goes into some other line of business, because that's what you're that's the business you're in. Like, you can't be in the fast food business and be serving burgers and be in your mind constantly be thinking why would anyone eat this crap? This is killing America? Like, no, you got to go then go work in a health food industry. If you're in the progressing industry, you have I have to be invested in the idea that we can convince our audience. And I say this with no skepticism. It can be done. It absolutely has been done and can be done and still can be done. That there's these outliner's personalities who are tremendous athletes who are incredibly entertaining to watch in these simulated combat battles, and they're doing it because calling yourself the best pro wrestler is enough. That's what we're all fighting over a chance to fight for the championship. So we can be Rick Flair with the limousines or John Cena with the spinning belt or whatever, and like that has to be enough, and if you do that, well everything falls into place when you don't keep your eye on that and you think, well, who would care about that? It's fake? So now we're gonna do something even more fake to make up for it, and we're gonna do it poorly. You're in the wrong business. Move on to something else.
Speaker 3: This isn't your thing, Oh absolutely, I mean that's the thing. It's like Vince Dan is a promoter. He thinks of himself as well. He thinks of himself as Walt Disney, which is even in and of itself wrong. I'm like, what he actually thinks he is is Aaron Spelling. I think he's the world's greatest television storyteller, which he's not. And and it shows the thing with with like it's man. When I was a kid, it was it was so easy to get in and out of storylines with Hul Cogan or even with Stone Cold too, because it was like people wanted the belt. That was enough. Like every heel could cut a promo, even if they were in a TV feud with somebody else, they could still mention the Hulk Cogan because he was the one. Like if I beat Hulk, then it proves that I'm the best because he's got the fucking belty. You know, he's the one I want. That was the thing with the Rock. It was like he he screwed over mankind, he screwed over the world because he wanted the belt, and I always come back to that, you know, pockage. They would show where it was like the Rock being like I'm the WWF champ, I'm a millionaire. You know, it's like, what more of that do you need? Like, you know, I'm not like, at no point was I like, you know, I can't remember. I don't think I've ever gotten behind a wrestler because somehow I had the perception of, God, this guy makes less money than me. You know, he can't even like the Kevin Owens things like I don't know, how is he gonna send this kid.
Speaker 1: The other worst storyline of all time this month?
Speaker 3: I mean, my god, it's like, do I want to watch this guy kick somebody's butt? Or am I like, are we going to pass the hat for him?
Speaker 1: I mean it's like I just want to slip him a note and go State colleges are pretty good and you can you know, you're just fine. You know, you can go work for AW when your contract's up, and in one year you'll have enough money to pay for your kids and they're still young, and your wife can work. There's all kinds of things you can do besides given to Shane McMahon's to sabotage the dreams of Chad Gable, this underdog who has earned his way into this spot. And because you can't fathom how to plan your damn kid's education with ten years notice and all these other options that are affordable to the people in the audience paying money to see you, You're not willing to sc over Chad Gable. Don't ever claim her babyface ever again, because your character has been ruined.
Speaker 3: Terrible, I know, but it's I can at least watch it on a certain level and be entertained, albeit for the wrong reasons, but because the only time that I I think any wrestling fan gets frustrated with WWE is when we expect them to not be WWE once. I mean, god, it was years ago I remember hearing about or reading about like Daniel Bryan and Cizarro. They realized they were like, oh wait, this isn't a wrestling company. This is a parody of a Wrestling Company, and once they realized that that they they suddenly became comfortable, you know, just showing up to work and punching the clock. Yeah, because it's like, I mean, talk about two guys that came from you know, just spectacular indie careers and then at least Brian broke out of it. I mean, the fact that Czarro is still kind of just you know, he's just kind of in that nebulous state that he's always been in at WW it's a shame. But yeah, yeah, man, I mean.
Speaker 1: So man, yes, So they were five days out from the Class of Champions when SmackDown airs, and all anybody's thinking about, all anybody is thinking about at the end of SmackDown is something having to do with Kevin Owens and Shane McMahon, who, let me check, are not on the Class of Champions. Norah's Chad Gable, Norah's Baron corbyin his opponent that's been moved to Raw. So I mean it's just like it's I know, they're trying to, you know, get ratings up so they don't get too embarrassed with viewership leading into Fox. I mean, they're gonna do better than reruns on Fridays I've been doing. They're gonna do way worse than Monday through Thursday. And Fox should know what they're getting, but they want a little better than what they're getting based on when they sign a contract, and I get Vince's trying to prop that up. Shane mcmatagainst Chad Gable is I guess a decent stuff soude for a lives, but all the focus is on something has nothing to do with trying to get people excited about the centerpiece of their WWB network, which is a huge chunk of their revenue, the monthly pay per views, And so I just I scratched my hat at that. I would have ended the show with something SmackDown related, either the women's title or the men's title match, to kind of hit that crescendo. So that's what people are talking about. The Shane Kevin Owen stuff shouldn't have been on the on the show because it's so bad, But if it was gonna be, it should have been seen as a third or fourth from the top issue on the show instead of well it's a McMahon's, it has to be at the top. That's how I took it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so weird. It almost feels like every step of the way with this, you know, Kevin Owens Shane thing, it has been like a what are we building towards? You know, like that, like I don't remember what show they were leading into, but again it was it was like that first time that Shane was out there and Kevin Owens comes out and almost hijacked the microphones and starts running them down. It was like, oh cool, I can't wait. It might have even been leading into when they were doing Roman Versus Shane, and it was like, all of a sudden, they made me want to see Shane versus Kevin Owens, but instead on Sunday I was gonna be watching Roman Versus Shane. It's just this bizarre misdirection. Not even misdirection, because that would be intentional. It's just like they're just bad booking.
Speaker 1: Basically, anytime you're watching WWE Raw or SmackDown or AW Dynamite in particular, send us an email if you've got thoughts on the show or a topic you want us to address or a question for us. Wadekeller Podcast at pwtorch dot com. Wadekeller Podcast at pewtorch dot com if there's anything else going on in pro wrestling that you want us to address on our main podcast during our mailbank segments. That same email applies Wade Keller podcast at pw torch dot com. We invite that interaction, let us know what you think of what we're saying, and let us know what you want us to talk about and ask us specific questions. Collor podcast at pw torch dot com. How much how much agency did wrestlers ever have when you were around and creative that you witnessed, Like, at what level did a wrestler get to speak up or feel comfortable going I know this has meant through a lot of layers to get to me, and it's a big deal at this time to bring up that this isn't good for my character. It doesn't make sense or I don't get it. I mean, is there just no time and your wrestlers just kind of have it beaten out of them. Your job is just do what you're told.
Speaker 3: People had look nobody hire well they were. I kind of saw every different reaction. I don't think at any level, I don't. I don't think any wrestler ever said I know that this has been through a lot of a lot of layers before it got here, but usually they would just say, well, why the hell would I do that? You know? So, you know, if it was like Randy Orton or Big Show, I could see them just being like, why would I do that? That's dumb, you know. But like a John Cena would just would more be interested in working with you and be like, Okay, well I don't see it that way, but what about this? Or like a Chris Jericho would more be like, well get up, let me sit down, and he would type up what he wanted to do. Whereas like other people who were you know, and those are all basically top guys, so they felt comfortable doing that. Somebody like or like a cmpunk who wasn't who was getting close to being a top guy but wasn't quite there yet. When I was there, he would very much speak up and be like, why the hell would I do that?
Speaker 1: Did he have a good way?
Speaker 3: I even I even saw Matt Striker do that. He would be like, well, what's what's the logic there? He's like, why would why would my characters say that? And but he would listen, he would hear you out. But I mean even like you know, even like a Santino or or even like Zach Ryder. Not not as aggressive as everyone else I mentioned, but you know, they would be like they'd be like, well, I don't know, you know, because because they care, you know, yeah, but not to say he doesn't care, but like somebody like Cain, very rarely if ever, would say that doesn't make any sense. You know, Cain was, you know, the easiest guy to work with because you would hand him something and he'd be like okay, and then he would go and memorize it, and then he would go out there and kill it. You know. I don't think I still don't think Kine gets enough credit for how well he did that character. And I feel like he was almost one of the guys that he'd almost like a Ted Knight in Caddy Show Where, because I will argue that Ted Knight is actually the funniest person in that whole movie, and that's the movie was like Heavyweights, you know, Bill Murray, Rodney, Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, you name it. And I think Ted Knight was actually the funniest in that movie because he's so good in that movie. You forget that he's an actor playing a character. You just assume he's that guy. I feel like Kine is kind of in that same class of like you almost take Kane for granted, you know, it would, I mean granted when you factor in Vince's booking of like, oh Kane's coming out, you're like, oh, well, here comes a big guy to squash a little guy. But in and of itself, I don't think there was a moment where we didn't buy Kane as that character. And it's such an over the top, ridiculous, you know, supernatural character, but we still bought it. You know, it was. It's an interesting dynamic there. But you know, I remember I was there when aj Lee kind of got her push, not kind of where she got her push, when she first got paired up with Daniel Bryant, And I mean I saw the change from you know, it went from I'm sorry, wait, can I just ask you a cool question? I'm not sure about this? And you kind of have to say to her, Okay, all right, well don't worry you're going to kill it. Just go out there and kill it, you know. Yeah, Like I remember there was that one interaction her and Natty had on TV where it was like, Okay, just go out there and just pound on her and I think she actually got in a couple of potatoes, not intentionally, but Natty I think got like a bloody lip or a bloody nose, if I remember correctly. And I remember AJ coming back through the curtain and she was just kind of like, oh my god, is that cool? And everyone's like, you did great. And I remember kind of towards the end of the that my run there, AJ had gone from I'm sorry, can I ask you a cool question? To I don't think my character would say that, you know, and it's so, is it? You know, I'm not and she was. And let me make it clear, like she was wonderful to work with, and she was a sweetie pie. I always, you know, enjoyed interacting with her. Heard Caitlin were two of my favorite people to work with when I was there. But it's it gets to the point of, you know, how much input are you going to have on your product? Because you you are the product. When you're a wrestler, it's you're the commodity, you know. I remember being an interview with Elizabeth Taylor where she, you know, that's somebody who started as a child actor and she realized very early on, like, oh, there's a difference between Elizabeth Taylor the person and Elizabeth Taylor the commodity. You know, and if and if you're savvy enough, and clearly she was, she could see the difference and well, what's going to affect the other? So, you know, I mean, I think somebody like a Big Show or Randy Orton, they were kind of more like, you know, why are you making me do something? Whereas like, you know, kind of a John Cena or or even a Jericho was Jericho is probably the best example of somebody who is like, well, let's see what makes sense for Jericho. I mean, clearly, this is a guy who is invested in his character, in his commodity and has clearly I mean talk about because I mean it's like, on the one hand, when I bring up like, well they should break up the New Day, and it's like, well, are we leaving money on the table? The New Day's a good you know act. It's like, look no further than Chris Jericho. Chris Jericho has completely blown up and rebuilt himself how many times over the last twenty five years. I mean, it's incredible to think of like Jericho in the summer of nineteen ninety eight. It's like, why would you change that character? It's such a hot character. Whereas it's like how many times has he reinvented himself and made it work because he cares? You know, I mean the lesser hands you could just think of like, oh, Chris Jericho, Oh the guy that wore the jacket with the lights in it. God, that was like three iterations ago. Yes, you know, why would you stop doing the list of Jericho? It's such a hot angle, it's such a good thing. It's like, because he did it, he's done with it, and now he's moved on to something even better. Yeah, you know it's yeah, yeah, because I mean, at no point with Jericho have you stopped him and like I think he made a mistake by moving on to this new thing. It's like, no, he moved on to a new thing and he's making it work. You know. It's it's incredible. Yeah, you know, so it's it's it's but you know, it's some people are are easier to work with than others, and some people if they are difficult to work with, but you can appreciate why they are invested because that's where it is. They're invested. It's not just that I don't feel like doing that. I want to play video games on my bus. You know, they are genuinely asking you, well, why would I do that? You know?
Speaker 1: So, I mean I saw it all going to the Class of Champions women's title matches, and all three of them, including the taketoitle match, So it's kind of through your thoughts on We'll start with Bailey and Charlotte. People. I'm in anticipating the Bailey heel turn for a long time, anticipating that it might be good for her, because she was pretty cold from the beginning coming into the main roster, missed opportunity and in a lot of ways, maybe some of it's on her, most of it seems to be on the way she was presented, and then this awkwardness if she turns heel when she's pretty cold. But you know, with a championship I think it means a little more. And her first match is against Charlotte, who we have been conditioned to not like respect, but she is full of herself and a bully and arrogant and all that. Not the best first opponent if you're trying to gain momentum turning heel. So that's the I don't know why that happened. Maybe it'll come maybe it'll become clear over the next few days or few weeks. But so that's my little setup for that. What do you think of the Bailey turn and the Charlotte match? What do you expect on Sunday?
Speaker 3: Well? I never know what to expect because Vinc mcman has the pencil. But what it comes down to is, I don't I tend to agree that match seems to be basically a little out of left field. I think because Charlotte's kind of a it's kind of a strange beast, at least meaning the way that they book her and present her. Because I would think Bailey needs a strong win, and when you put her in there with Charlotte, I feel like Charlotte can lose and be okay. But I could almost see them having Charlotte win and just, you know, kind of stifle any momentum that they might have had with Bailey going into this. I don't know. I would prefer to see Bailey win, even if it is kind of I'm not I prefer pinfalls and submissions, but this is a situation where I would not be disappointed or upset in any way if there was a kind of a screwy DQ finish. You know, I'm not not the biggest proponent of you know, Bailey intentionally gets herself DQ type of thing to you know, lose the match, retain the title. But I feel like it could work in this situation because it's she's a new heel. You know, we're still as a ww audience where kind of excited that she's a heel now, you know, especially somebody like Bailey, where we've it's just this weird bizarro world of like watching WWTV where I'm like, this babyface keeps getting you know, jerked around. Why doesn't they Why don't they just turn heel? And it's like it's this, it's this backwards booking of like I want them to turn heel so they are standing up for themselves, right, No, that's what the babyfaces should be doing in the first place. You know, It's it's this, it's this bizarro land. So it's basically I want to watch Bailey go nuts and just beat the craft out of Charlotte the point where I know that I'm not going to sympathize with Charlotte. I'm going to be excited that Bailey is snapped. But I can see in the you know, w w E vistminctmahan bubble of that that's supposed to make me sympathize with Charlotte, and it's supposed to make me think, well, Bailey's a loose cannon and she can't be trusted and she's she's over the line, out of control. Maybe there's a way to pull that off, but I don't know. I just feel like Bailey needs some I mean, basically, it's like it's kind of the Jericho thing of like, Okay, if she's not Bailey giving hugs anymore than who is she? She needs to change her look, change her outfit, change the hair, changed the whole thing. And if she doesn't understand who she is, then me as a viewer, I'm not gonna understand who she is. And is this thing already dead in the water. I guess that remains to be seen. Certainly Sunday will be a good test for it, because if she is still just you know, side ponytail, you know, but I'm you know, mean now, part of it doesn't compute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm, I'm it's truly in the process to tell for sure. I mean, I think she can co opt is orb of a co opt the ponytail and blow up balloons and stuff in sort of an ironic way where she's the delusional or fraudulent, the fraudulently delusional Bailey, where she thinks she's still a baby face explaining that I am still the same person. I haven't changed. Why aren't you booing me? I've got And then you can sort of like maybe boo her in that context, as opposed to her suddenly just coming out like Craig Gania became Rambo when Sergeant Slaughter started training him, and Bailey just has this huge transformation where people like, eh, I don't know if that's her, but part of me was looking forward to seeing a transformation and seeing what she looked like when she did present herself with a completely different attitude and edge. I think that would have more impact if she just suddenly comes out with a completely different look and people like, oh my god, that other thing was just fraudulent marketing, and now we're seeing the real her and I don't like this, and the kids are booing her and like to me, that's a gift to babyfaces fighting her more than the ironic maybe too clever by half approach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I do like that idea of her still thinking she's a babyface, but she's you know, actually a piece of craft. That's that's interesting. I think there's also there could be something. I mean, it's almost like the thing that they've been doing with bray Wyatt, but kind of like a almost like a joint the clown thing where it's like I'm acting like I'm happy and I'm nice and I'm friendly, but I'm actually sadistic and evil.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: There there could if they go in that direction, it would be it would almost be because with bray Wyatt, I'm expecting the shoe to drop. You know, at no point did I buy the mister Rogers thing, right, But if if say, like Bailey was to show up on the Firefly fun House, that would kind of leave a pit in my stomach, you know, like of like, oh god, you know, like she's she's a demon now, you know, whereas I don't know, I just it just feels like she's she's a heel by association, but really she's still just this babyface fighting from underneath things. It's I mean, it's it's so funny. It's like there's room for subtle piece and pro wrestling. But it's like with Vince McMahon booking, it's like it's also it's still pro wrestling. There should be a clear good guy and a clear bad guy, you know, and.
Speaker 1: It's there should be strong there should be strong feeling, like I think if you can instructed. So some people we had hung up on, well they're baby facing heels. It's pass or it's too simple. It's like, what you're going for in pro wrestling is strong emotional investment in the characters. And then the second thing you're going for is you want to have a home team and an away team. You want to be rooting for the Packers or against the Packers, for the Cowboys or against the Cowboys, because that's where the emotion is. So therefore, call it what you want. But as you present these characters, it's hard to have sixty percent of the audience like some in forty nine and have that also work for the opponent, because now the opponent's in a POSI show. What if they worked hard to get a hundred percent of people, not to like them or one hundred percent of people to like them, and now they're against an opponent where he's peeling off or she's peeling off forty to sixty percent of those fans for her character and everything's muddy. So it because it doesn't work with nuance like it does in Breaking Bad or you know, a heavily scripted thirteen thirteen episode per season or eight episode per season type thing where there's craftsmanship in years that go into it. You kind of have to go with Babyface and Heel and the goal should be one hundred percent years. Ninety eight percent of the time it should bee hundred percent years. Is a goal for one one hundred percent boost.
Speaker 3: For the other.
Speaker 1: That should be the goal, and if someone else is trying to be nuanced, it blows up the whole system.
Speaker 7: I'm Kelly Wells, host of the seven Star podcast, the new Ongoing Torch show covering the world of New Japan pro wrestling. We'll drop new episodes as major shows and noteworthy events dictate.
Speaker 8: And I'm Chris Lansdow join us as we covered the ever changing landscape of New Japan as they navigate an era with no lack of talent but a real need to.
Speaker 9: Create some new styles.
Speaker 8: You can stream the new seven Stop podcasts now from Pro Wrestling Talk.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's good deal, right. Because there's the difference between pro wrestling and a scripted drama is because there can be nuanced, there can be subtlety, there can be you know, depth or or whatever in pro wrestling. But it's like when it comes down to it with with a scripted drama, is there's the endgame is murky, So it's like there's some subtlety. Where is this going? Okay, I'm interested, I'll I'll go on this ride with you, on this journey. Whereas with pro wrestling, it's there's going to be a winner and a loser, so there should be a hero and a villain. You know. It's it's much less of a you know, hour sixty minute drama as it is a comic book. And with comic books there are clearly gifted creators and writers and who can tell a very nuanced, you know, multi layered story and it can get into you, well, what is good, what is evil? What is you know? All this, but at the end of the day, it's you know the difference between Watchmen and class of Champions is at the end of Class of Champions, I'm going to see who the winner is and who the loser is. And at the end of Watchman, I'm left thinking, oh my gosh, what is right? What is wrong? Who watches the Watchman?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: Where, Like if it's AJ and Cedric, I'm like, all right, well I like Cedric, I don't like AJ. I want Cedric to win. You know, pro wrestling doesn't need to be complicated. It can be nuanced. But once we start complicating it, once we have you know, a guy that looks like Eric Rowan and where's Daniel Bryan and who is you know, it's just like you've lost.
Speaker 1: The plot or just competing. Like I just don't think the goal should be that fans are torn, you know, Like I mean again, there's a there's a one out of fifty exception. I mean, you know, like I'm not saying it's a hard fatter one hundre percent of the time, but like ninety eight percent of the time. You want one hundred percent of the fans. You hope one hundred percent of the fans are rooting for a guy one percent against him? Yeah, because I can yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, Like I don't. I don't have to hate Jumbo Seruta to be rooting for Mitsuhara Massawa. You know, I'm just I'm excited, and I can be excited that Massawa just beat Jumbo, but like it doesn't make me. I don't have to hate Jumbo to like Massawa, you know. I mean it's like that's the reason that the g One Climax Tournament works because I'm watching the top tier competitors competing against each other, so I do get to say, all right, well, well who would win? Who is going to be? You know, even like Pogan and Andre, It's like, yeah, but the Andre turned it worked on on one hand, it was almost forced too, because it's like I want to have an emotional investment. Sure, Andre getting paired up with Bobby Heenan, that's the worst thing he could have done, you know, you know, it's it's it's it's the But I mean, ultimately it came down to Andre was challenged for the belt. You know, it was clear that that Bobby had gotten into his head. You know, it was it was clear that Andrea had changed. Andre wasn't Andre anymore? Do we want to even go further down the rabbit hole of like, well, how did Bobby get to Andre? The previous storyline was that Bobby was trying to get Andre banned for life, and then Andre shows up underneath the mask and he's the giant machine. Did somewhere along the way did Bobby finally get the goods on Andre? But instead of sending Andre out the pasture and banning him for life from WWF, he starts talking with Andre and working with Andre, and then he sees I can exploit Andre and like, this is my finally, my chance to get my hands on a competitor who can win that championship. Clearly this is the guy that can beat hul Kogan and then we're off and running into the WrestleMania three. I mean, there's nuance, there's subtlety, there's depth to it, But when it comes down to it, that's if I really want to be a hardcore Like I am so invested wrestling fan, and I'm following this storyline every single week, every single thing, back and forth. He rips off the shirt, he rips off the crucifix, Hogan's chest is bleeding like blah blah blah blah blah. But if I'm just you know, Joe Schmoe on the street, who doesn't know anything from Adam. If you're just presented with we got Hulk Hogan fighting Andrea the Giants, it's like, well, who would win that fight? You know? The immovable object in the irresistible force. That's enough in and of itself. If we want to add color to it and add a story to it, then that's that's even better, you know. But it's it's just give me something to watch, give the promoter something to promote. That's that's enough in and of itself. The young guy versus the established guy, all right, now I'm interested. You know, the tough guy versus the even tougher guy. Well, who would win that fight? You know, It's just it doesn't need to be more than that. It doesn't need to be you know. Well, then then they drove them out to the desert, desert, and they buried them alive. It's just like, well, now now you've lost me. Now I'm now I'm confused. At no point should a wrestling fan be confused. You know, it's it's it's good versus evil. It's and even beyond good versus evil, it's right versus wrong. Yeah, it's the pursuit of it's the pursuit of justice. That's why it's so confusing, like watching w W E t V because I'm like, well, where where is the justice? What? What? What am I? What am I rooting for? And then you get into a place where it's like, well, if nothing matters, then it's absolute chaos. And then I'm just gonna cheer the people you tell me to boo, and I'm gonna boo the people you tell me to share because it's it has It's like it's they have forced their audience. WWE and Vince mcgham have forced their audience into being heath Ledgers of the Joker. And now I'm just going to show up because I want to watch the world burn. Now I'm just you know, it's it's that's that is a strange place to be in as a wrestling fan, where it could not be easier to get a wrestling fan excited. Give me something that I want to see, you know, as opposed to well, I'm going to show up and can I sneak this beach ball in? You know how much chaos can I cause as a wrestling fit? Can I chant something? You know that's going to distract. I mean, it's just it's I'm just excited for a ew because I need a mainstream alternative here in the United States. You know, it's nice when New Japan shows up into into town and I get to go to PWG like once a month or every couple of months. But man, oh man, oh man. As far as a TV product, I mean, it's like I don't even know what channel Impact is on anymore. I mean, I guess now what they're on Access Now, we'll see, we'll see. But I mean the first instagram like picture I saw of the full Impact roster and it says coming to Access TV, And when I zoom in, honestly, my first thought was, oh, my gosh, it is the greatest collection of wasted talent on Impact TV. Because it's just it's like so many fantastic people, both on camera and behind the scenes, and it is just they I don't know if they'll ever be able to overcome that TNA stink that had been collected over the last decade more, you know. I mean, it's just it's it's it breaks my heart to see it, Like I need a clean slate. Aw feels like a clean slate you know, we'll see, we'll see. I'm just excited for more wrestling, and hopefully it's fantastic because everything else I've seen up until this point has been Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely no, so beax. Any thoughts on that match, Sasha's return, and how they've been promoting and presenting Becky, Yeah, well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean it'll be an interesting match, but I mean it is. It's like, gosh, Becky Lynch was again like talk about you know, somebody that they were trying to be a heel and then winds up becoming the most over babyface of the last few years, and then well it's now Vince McMahon. You hit him like, here's a hot baby face there, and it's like, oh God, the last thing you want is a hot baby face. We got to cool her off. They gotta pair up with Lacey Evans. Yeah, now we're gonna I mean, it's just it, Becky was so hot going into Mania, and then coming out of Mania, you get that program with Lacey and it's like, I don't know if this is the right pairing, and then of course it's just it's just perfect Vince McMahon logic. Of course, the next thing they pair up Becky with is are returning Sasha Banks? Who all right, let's turn her heel. I love Vince's idea that you can have anybody, anybody off of team for the amount of time that Sasha Banks was off and think, oh, I can just make her a heel It's like no, They're gonna cheer her no matter what she does. And we are at a day and age, and then to pair up with Becky Lynch of all people, I'll have her turn heel on. Becky, It's like you are hurting, Becky, you already have like it's anybody else have a be God, what what is it gonna take for me to get a Bailey versus Sasha match? You know, what what is it gonna take for me to get that program? You know, if it was Bailey versus Sasha right now, that would be hot. And then like Bailey attacking or returning Sasha, that might actually be an effective heel turn, you know, or or Sasha comes back and beats up Becky. I mean that might even be an effective heel turn, because like I'm gonna cheer Sasha because she's back, but she shows back up and then she's finally beating up her friend. I don't know. It's just like if they just I mean, do I feel like I seen Becky versus Charlotte a million times already? Yeah? Could Becky be paired up with I don't know whoever? Anyone else on the ride? I mean, I don't know elect the Bliss. I know she's in that. You know the tag with Nikki Cross And I called it as soon as it started out.
Speaker 1: I've reced it. I've given you credit for calling that one on podcasts since then.
Speaker 3: I mean, I saw it coming a million miles away. I'm like, you guys don't know. Vince McMahon, it's he's gonna say we got to take him for a ride, and then he's gonna forget about it. He's gonna be like, no, they're actually best friends. What are you talking about that they're go shopping together? What do women do? They talk on the phone, they do each other's nails. I don't know. And with with Becky and Becky and Sasha in and of itself from Bell to Bell, it's gonna be a great match as far as the logic and the storytelling going into it and coming out of it, I feel like they could be doing a better job with Becky if they just let Becky be stone cold and looked at it that way. And I don't know, it's it's it's too soon. It just feels like it's too soon for for Sasha and Becky. It's it's because it's like Sasha, for lack of a better comparison, is she kind of like the you know, the rock. If Becky's gonna be stone cold, we could have Sasha be the rock because she's you know, she can run her mouth, she can work in the ring. And then you know, it almost feels, I don't know, it just feels like this could be next year's Mania, you know, Becky and Sasha. Instead, we've just kind of thrown it together and it's and it's just kind of sitting there on Clasha Champions. I don't know, It's just Vince is so fixated on doing everything at once that once we rush towards something, it feels flat, and once we draw something out, it gets so convoluted that once we get there, it feels flat. Like when we finally do get to if we are even say we finally do get to Roman reigns us Is Daniel Bryan and by the time we get there, am I gonna care anymore? You know? It doesn't need to be complicated, and I feel like the old man over complicates, but constantly I I am gonna. I'm gonna watch the match and probably enjoy it very much.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm hoping somebody does a show where there's a match and then there's an announcing interviews the wrestler and the wrestler spent all day alone with friends, with some help from veterans coming up with some stuff to say, and then they talk about it to try to help sell their character and sell their match, and then we move on to the next like it's just you know, Jared Jarrett used to tell me, I write I write the Memphis TV Show on the back of a three and a half by five no card in the back of the limousine on the way to the on the way to the TV studio. Because a wrestling show, the beauty of a wrestling show isn't in the in how much you plan ahead. It's seeing an outline come to life. And that has been taken away from wrestlers and many you know, Kevin Owens tweeted out three numbers that match up an X in terms of the number, the letter number in the alphabet. I don't know if he was if that was a hope a wish, like, oh my god, this is awful, and I just want to get over to NXT where my character would be taken care of or it was meant to be, you know, foreshadowing what is already planned. But I mean, there's wrestlers who just want to go work for work in NXT and make a living and be happy because things had, like you said, become just too complicated and arbitrary. You know, Alexa Bliss, is she a face or a heel? Wasn't when she, like, not that long ago, she'd have been the one making fun of Nicky Cross's looks and talking about beautiful She isn't. Now she's the one teaming with her and defending her against Mandy Rose, who's insulting Niki Cross's looks. And it's like Vince doesn't remember or think that these wrestlers have this trail of actions and traits that should logically lead to what they do this weekend. Next week. You don't have to wait for the way Keller Pro Wrestling post show to find out what I thought of Monday night Raw and SmackDown. Each week. You can check out my reports that are updated live throughout Raw and SmackDown at pwtorch dot com. My written report will tell you what's happening in detail in case you missed the show, and it will also analyze key segments and give my random thoughts quips on what I'm watching as it airs. So check it out every Monday night and Tuesday night at pwtorch dot com. That also applies to wwepayperviews. I cover those live at pw torch dot com with a detailed written report with star ratings. And of course you can find other TV reports from other contributors to PW torch such as nxt ROH, Impact Wrestling and more. Check it out pwtorch dot com your first stop for TV and pay per view written reports.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh my god. I mean, it's like the reason that The Simpsons has been on since I was a boy is because those are clearly defined characters. And I mean, has that show run out of steam? I mean it's tough for me to say, because I stopped watching it, so it ran out of steam for me, you know, But it was how many different situations can you come up with for them? I mean, but my point is there are things that it would make sense for Bart Simpson and Homer Simpson to do, and then there are things that it makes sense for Lisa Simpson and Marge Simpson to do. And for me as a fan, what when I started losing interest in the Simpsons was when and I can pinpoint it too. There there was an episode where Marge of all the characters too, where Marge didn't feel like she was acting like Marge anymore. And then I was like, or even right before that, when they did the whole thing with Principal Skinner, right and they did a whole episode about how it turned out that Principal Skinner wasn't actually Principal Skinner, that he was this other guy who stole Skinner's identity back in Vietnam, and then they tell this whole convoluted story for no reason other than we just got to fill up thirty minutes. And then by the end of that episode they had taken one of the most beloved characters with a clearly defined parameter and then they just put a hat on it, and then put a hat on the hat, and then by the end of it. I was like, you know what, this is actually undone so much storyline leading up to it and now coming out of it, Why am I going to have an investment as a viewer in anything involving basically anyone. It's just it becomes a parody of itself. And then all of a sudden, it's like I found myself flipping around the channels because I'm like, well, what what what am I? What am I watching for? Why am I supposed to? If you don't care? Why do I care? Yeah? It's I mean, it's it's it's it's the most it's the easiest principle to remember in entertainment. You know, if if you're having if you're not having a good time, why am I going to have a good time? You know, if you don't care, I don't care. You know, I'll find somebody that does. It's it's it's like a less the Bliss that is a simple, sharp character, and it's so she's a mean girl. You know, she's a mean girl, and she's a coward and she's a manipulator. And now all of a sudden she's best friends with Nikki Cross and I have no idea why, you know, and now there's now a chimps.
Speaker 1: It's it's disappointing. It's disappointing, That's what it is. I mean, like, it's disappointing. As a viewer. You want, you want, That's what I tell people like, I don't I don't want to be a hater. I don't want to be critical. It's like, you, you deserve to be to hold this form of entertainment that you love, and a billion dollar company that should be able to do a better job than it's doing you. You you deserve to be able to vent. You deserve to be able to you. It's okay to expect a higher standard. You shouldn't apologize and be a loyalist, a blind loyalist to your WWE tribe that you feel you belong to. You you actually deserve better, and it's okay to express that without feeling like you're being disloyal.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you this, man. I mean, the most common question I would get after I was done working at WWE wash do you still enjoy watching the product? And I would I would always say the same thing. I'm like, oh, I enjoy it more now because now everything makes sense, because now I've seen how it goes. Like I've been in the kitchen, So now that the Hamburgers makes sense to me, I'm like, oh god, you know, it's like you go to itcause every storyline that got dropped, every joke that didn't work, every guy that stops getting a push, everything that like why why did that happen? Like what what? What? What was that supposed to be? It all makes sense. Now I have a more complete picture, and I can appreciate the product even more now, you know, and and and and I can find entertainment in it, you know, beyond uh, simply just seeing what's on the screen, you know, being able to see behind the curtain. I was like, oh, now I've got the whole story, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, what do you think about making fun of Nicky Cross Mandy rosa heel making fun of Nicky Cross's looks from a from a mean girl standpoint, like alection of Bliss's man? Is that is that? Does is it okay? Is that within the bounds of wrestling? Is it? Is it okay? Within the bounds of some wrestling but not WWE? That's also doing Connor's cure spots and and is on Fox Prodcasts work and be a hero. You know, you can be a superstar and they're running all these camping does it fit the mode? Is? It may be okay, but not the best thing to do. Like, where are you on that? I mean, I know I have a feeling there was some a level of apology and self self awareness behind the scenes amongst the women that maybe this is going to look make. You know, I can imagine Mandy Rose having to do this and wondering what people are gonna think of her, you know what I mean. Even though people know it's scripted and all that, there's still that weird thing where wrestlers feel like people think they are their character on air some of the time. I don't know, So, yeah, your thoughts on it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's just kind of what's the word I'm looking for. It's just it just feels a little played out. But there's a way to do that without doing it, you know, like like like with like like Rick Flair and Ricky Steamboat. You know, like the first few that they had where then what was the circumstances where Rick Flair got like a suit torn up? It was essentially you know, at its heart, that storyline is I'm good looking and you're not without saying I'm good looking and you're not, you know, whereas it can be about I'm more sophisticated, I'm better dressed, I know how to do my hair, you know, instead of just being like, you know, I'm pretty or ugly. You know, that's talk about it. It's like talk about a place where all right, maybe now we could use some nuance, Maybe now we can use some you know, sophistication in the storytelling. But I think it's also I think what's dangerous about it is is like doing that with with the female characters is so petty, and it's so it takes it takes the women back a few steps in a few years, and it's like, you know, I mean, my god, they haven't been called you know, well, I guess they don't call them women wrestlers, but they haven't been not divas. For It's it's it took them too long to get away from just defining them by their physical looks. That to go back to that so quickly is you know, there's just so many different stories you can tell that to just go to, oh, well, women are being catty again, it's just like it's just so it speaks. It just speaks to Vince's perception of people and women in particular. And it is so it's just lazy writing, you know basically, And I and and I believe me, I'm always on my sofucks on this. We watch wrestling is and that is not. I'm not blaming the writers because, believe me, at no point would would would anyone on the creative team come to Vince and be like, well, she can call her fat and ugly like that type of thing. It's like that, this is this is a product of Vince McMahon. You know, I could, I could say that with one hundred percent degree of certainty.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of him redlining a script and saying no changes like reading, just no changes exact.
Speaker 3: U. Yeah, believe it or not that that that's I mean, the rarity. But believe it or not, I do remember that actually happening.
Speaker 1: I heard that because I say that because I heard that might have happened with this, and it fits what you're saying about how this is Vince's idea like that, Vince didn't want anyone to break from exactly this because he knew some people would be uncomfortable with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I couldn't say, but I mean I do. I remember specifically there being a time probably in the fall of right when I started, probably the beginning of winter twenty eleven. I remember because I was still on the home team, and I remember Brian Goertz emphasizing to us because we were all new, because they had just been a mass firing and they were rebuilding the team. Basically all the writers that were there were on the road. And as a matter of fact, those are all the guys that are still there, you know, that are the higher ups in the creative team now. But I remember Brian like emphasizing to us, like, you guys need to understand, like the script that went on TV was basically the same thing that we wrote here, and that's huge. And it wasn't until the days and weeks and months went on that I was able to appreciate just how huge it was. And he was right to put us over for that to be like, you guys don't understand, like the script that we wrote is what wound up on the air. Do you have no idea how monumental that is? Yeah, So I don't know if it I mean, in the time that I was there. I could count on one hand the amount of times that I remember, you know, Vince not O God, what is this? What is it? Sir? This is the the script that you appro approved three days ago. Okay, but never mind?
Speaker 1: You know, But did he I mean, cause, does he ever that you saw? Just say no changes, don't don't. I don't want to hear it. I know you're gonna be upset.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I know I'm going to hear about this. But no changes, just talent, producers, writers. This is what goes on the air. Does he dig his heels and make that clear? Well?
Speaker 3: You know, like I remember, this is interesting. I remember when if you go way back to Daniel Brian cashing in the money in the bank on I want to say it was on Big Show when he first cashed in for the World Heavyweight Championship. I want to say Big Show was champed. I can't remember if that was totally the case. I feel like it was, but I remember that that was Vince's idea, that was Vince's call. And he only told a couple of us, obviously not me in the room, but like he only told a couple of the guys been creative who then told me and a couple other people because we were been writing the scenarios on it. But he specifically he didn't want anyone else to know because he didn't want anyone to talk him out of it. So that was like a situation where it was like, this is this is what I want to do, and I don't want to hear. So basically, instead of Vince saying, you know, listening to everyone's feedback and then being like, no, this is what we're doing, he vinced, to his credit, saw I could see myself getting talked out of this by certain people, So I'm just not going to tell those certain people, and we're just gonna barrel ahead and do this and this is this is the thing that we're going to do on the pay per view I think it was was it out of money in the bank or whatever it was, I can't remember. The circumstance of it was raw, So it was at the actual pay review itself, but that was a situation where he's like, no, I want Brian to cash in, and this is what we're doing, and I don't want to hear about it from anyone. But I don't know. I mean, like I'm trying to think, like like like Rock and scene of going on last I know that there was discussion of, well, we're also doing Hunter and Undertaker in a Helen of Cell. Is Ken is a championship match big enough to follow a Helena Cell because it's almost like the situation that you saw at all, like, well, this ladder match is going to be bonkers crazy Ken just a singles match follow it. Obviously, the championship makes it higher stakes, that the first championship that they've ever crowned makes it higher stakes. But at the same time, you know, Jericho and hang In Page are not the same palaber of John Cena versus The Rock and The Rock being the biggest movie star in the world and doing his first singles match back in years and years? You know, is that a bigger draw than Undertaker and Triple H and helenfl Clearly it was, and I was of the mindset that it was even before. I mean, they could have used guns and that Helen Is a match and it still wouldn't have meant more than The Rock coming against John Cena, you know, the Old Guard versus the New Guard. The fact that the title was on the line was what's the title even on the line at that one. I don't even remember. No, it wasn't because because the title would have been Punk and uh in Jericho, right, Yeah, yeah, the title wasn't even involved in so even so, it was just a straight up singles.
Speaker 1: Match as a stretch where Punk never got Punk is World Champion, never got to actually close out a pay per view unless he was against the Rock Orders.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, that's right. Oh my god, incredible. So yeah, I mean there were plenty of times where Vince was like, now, this is what we got to do, you know, I mean, it's it's I mean it we can we can point out a lot of things that Vince does wrong, but there's a lot of things that clearly Vince does right. And the you know, and when it comes down to it, and any thing that is on the air of a WWE show, it whether it was Vince's idea or not, Vince was the last one to say, this is what we're doing. Yeah, And and part of part of what works with Vince is also what what doesn't work with Vince is that he loves options, and sometimes there's too many options and suddenly he you know, there's just too there's there's there's just too much going on, and then things get fall through the cracks, and then things get changed at the last men, and then suddenly nothing makes sense and then Vince's like, well, we're moving on, it doesn't matter, and it's like, wow, maybe it does. You know, the Raiders would say that it does. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 10: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion? Do you want to be topped off the ledge after segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking? Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve? Then join me Joel and me Greg for the All Elee Conversation Club every Friday on the pw torch Live Cast. Fee search pw torch in your podcast app and subscribe to pw torch Daily Cast or stream our shows directly from pw torch dot com. Find full details on the pw torch Daily Cast lineup at pw torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: So just a couple other undercard matches, They're all championship matches other than Roman Rowan So I don't mean to mean any of them, but yes, there's too many championships in WWE, but AJ Style, Cedrick Alexander, just any thoughts on what they've done with that match in those two lately, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that should be a real good match. I feel like they've done a pretty good job building et cetera, you know, mora or less. I mean in the vacuum of WWE, you know where they where they stand now building babyfaces, They've you know, done a pretty decent job. And then and I like a J, you know, I like a J in this role of you know, the the US champ. I mean again, it's it's, it's it's it's basically that match isn't a priority, you know, for me as a viewer or for them booking it, so that can that can actually work for them because if things, you know, I remember, like Dave Chappelle talking about when the Chappelle Show stopped being fun and then he very famously walked away from it and you know, went on sabbatical basically, but he described the Chappelle Show was fun when it felt like nobody was watching, you know, and and I and I can appreciate that, like that it's so I think with a day Et Cedric, it's it's I could see that them pulling off something good because it's not you don't have that. I could see Vince not uh, fixating on it and wound up picking it apart and ruining it. Because there is a as as like a writer, there is a thing of like when when you start messing with something too much, it's a sweater. The whole thing can just fall apart and then there's no way to get it back together. Like I remember reading like a h a collection of Farside cartoons where Gary Larson was like he gave some example of like this is where it started, this is where it ended, and this is He's like, I just I kept because you should go through drafts. Definitely you should rewrite, but you can hit a point where it's like, you know, pencils down, this is we're done. Now we need to move on. You can ruin something by trying to fix it. And I feel like A j and Cedric are are flying under the radar and can maybe are are gonna exceed expectations because maybe there aren't any Yeah, I mean from I mean from Vince, you know type of thing. Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: How about Shinsky, Nakamura, the Icy Champ. I admit half of my awake hours, I forget who the Icy and US champs are these days, defending against the Miz with Sammy's ay, and I think still with shinsk who knows, but he did get chokes line Bindertaker and for all we know, Sammy's gonna show up with Kevin Owens with a complete you know, Dallas shower scene reset next Wednesday, and you know who knows. But right now Shinsky is maybe with Sammy in his corner. What do you think of that?
Speaker 3: I should be fine, you know, I mean, Shinsk is he's he's really enjoying his retirement. He's you know, I like to I think I like that Knackamore is keeping busy while he's retired here in the United States. Yeah, it should be fine. I'm not expecting. I'm not expecting, you know, the main event of the Tokyo Dome. But yeah, I mean this is good, This is good in this role. I mean, it's it's an interesting I mean christ I mean think about like the pairing up of it, just just on paper, just looking at it in terms of like from like a a two thy eleven or twenty twelve pair of sunglasses or even like twenty thirteen, Like just take it like five years back. Let's say, if like, if you had told me we'd be doing Shinske Knackamore versus The Miz for the icy title on a pay per view, I would have said, really, But I mean it makes sense. It's been a fine it's been a fine build, and you know, I think that there's better things that we could be doing with Sammy's Ain. But as far as if this is the role that he's going to be in, he's certainly good at it. Yeah, but uh, you know, I mean I I knew somebody that was on the creative team that was let go earlier this year, and and with somebody that when he was done was done watching the show, and I was talking to him on the phone. I mentioned to him. I was like, I was like, wow, you know, it's weird. I mean, Samy's Ain is now Hinton Kimore's manager. And he was just like what the reaction? And I was like, oh, yeah, man, you gotta you got to tune into the.
Speaker 1: I feel like some people reacted way they missed one week of TV, you know, but but yeah, I can imagine being that immersed in it and then just divorcing yourself from it and then just being reacquainted with it. It could be kind of.
Speaker 3: Shocked, right Like it was funny like at Starcast during the Punk interview, it was funny them having to explain to him like, you know, like, well, Koffee, you know, he's got he's got the pancakes, and he's like, he's what, He's got pancakes. The most entertaining thing actually in that interview was when it was when Mike Johnson explained to him that, well, you know, like Rollins and Becky Lynch, they've been off the last two weeks. They got time off, Like Punk just goes they got time off, yeapros and for a good minute of just like you can ask for time off, now what?
Speaker 1: But then then after the amazement wore off about you know, five to ten minutes later, he's like, well they'll be punished. I mean, come on, you know, you know they're not going to pay a price for that. That that can't go unpunished. You might have the leverage to ask for it, and aw might be creating that or who knows what but but they'll pay in some way. They may not they may or may not realize it.
Speaker 3: Hopefully, no doubt, we'll see.
Speaker 1: We we didn't talk about the Seth and Brawn against Ruden Ziggler. Uh, aspect of of this where they're they're friends teaming as champions of Beast. Done that before. I guess we can talk about that briefly. Just what do you think of Ruden Zigger being kind of thrown together as a team and uh, did they float a team name for them on Monday? I feel like the announcers threw a name out there and I'm forgetting what it was that they are calling themselves. But anyway, Yeah, your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think did I missed it? I don't know. I mean, it almost reminds me of when we paired up Puddy Rhodes and uh and oh God Damnian Sandout. Yeah, you know where it was like, you know what, you got to do something with them, And it almost makes sense, you know, Ziggler and Rude. It's two people that I mean have been underutilized. I Meaniggler, it's literally Dolf Ziggler has been underutilized to the point where that's now his You know. I mean it's it's it's it's high comedy. I mean, it's the most meta self parody you can imagine. And then Bobby rut it's just or Robert Rude. Excuse me, I mean it's just, uh yeah, you gotta do something with.
Speaker 1: You You'll be right next week, maybe by the time to stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no doubt. But that all being said, I do like them as a pair. I feel like it makes sense, uh you know, aesthetically, I feel like they have the same kind of attitude, and they are both you know, clearly talented in and of itself. But you know, I mean Rollins versus Stroman does it? Does it mean that they're going to then lose the belt to them? I mean, are they is there going to be their own fault? You know? Are they going to stop getting along during the match and then lead into their match? I don't know. It seems like a simple way to tell the story. Then you get into you know, Bobby and Dolph defending those belts, you know, because it's because it's he got two main eventors with the tag belts together. It's never you know, a bad thing. I always enjoyed that that brief run when Stone Cold and Undertaker were tag champs together, was then didn't that happen? Can that happen? Or at least there was that period where like Stone Cold was the tag champ or like he was tagging with it or with stone Cold at Sean Michaels for they chances to get I mean stone called the mcfoley were definitely tag champs together. That's that makes sense. I feel like, yeah, they were. I feel like Stone Cold and Undertaker were tag champs for for a second and that, but it was it wasn't on the same show as them having their match at the Garden, but it was like leading up to it. I'm almost positive. But but anyway, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's Lord and the Funny but you know, I mean Rolins and bron they won the Take Team titles. They won the Take Team titles from Cain and Mankind at Fully Loaded on July twenty sixth, nineteen ninety eight, and they held the titles for about two weeks before listening back, so understandable to not quite have that drilled into our our memories.
Speaker 3: They had it for about a cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: And that was the era where tape where championships changed hands constantly like oh, like the WWF title changed hands more times from like I don't know what year I charted once, like ninety five to two thousand and five, like three times more often than it had in all of the previous history, or six times more. Some crazy I did a cover story at once on the Torch newsletter like this, this has to stop. This is not this is not good. You're cashing in decades of equity of keep making title changes seem special. They've been better about it, but there's too many titles that I still.
Speaker 3: Knowm The rent is oh my lord. So I will say, I mean, you know, Rowlins and Brun, that'll be a good match in and of itself. I gotta think Rollins has to walk away with with the belts, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will think, Yeah, I wanted Braun to be convince me a little more with the situation he was put in. I wanted him to convince me a little more that he had his eye on that title. And if you're a bron fan, you should believe this is the night. And I almost feel like it's a tell that he didn't do that. That is not winning, because there's this weird mentality if the if the baby face, even if they're facing on the face, if the basics of baby face isn't gonna win the title, don't get the fans hopes up and I'm like, no, you're you're selling tickets based on hope. That's the whole point of tuning in, and the disappointment is part of the emotional roller coaster. And all Broun did is you know, I get I'm gonna You're gonna get these hands. It was like a cliche. It didn't feel I didn't I didn't feel sold on this being epic. I got sold on this being something that got thrown together and will be forgotten.
Speaker 3: Uh, definitely, Yeah, it has. It has felt to me the whole time, like, I mean, it's funny that they're fighting against Rude and Ziggler because them being paired up feels like, well, you gotta do something with Balus and then Rollin's and Stroman like he's the champ another champs together. It just feels like, well, this is something we've done before, we haven't done it in a little bit, why don't we do this, which is the nature of the Beast because it's like there's no there's no old storylines. It's just an audience who hasn't seen it yet, and it's like, well, when's the last time we did this. When's the last time we did a heel rep. When's the last time we had somebody run in and ring the bell before the match is over? You know, when's the last time somebody broke their leg? Whence the last time a guy got hit by a car once? Let you know, if we're not gonna if we're not going to try and use stuff, you know, it's like, well, what's what worked in the past, Well, when's the last time we did that. Well, let's try it. We gotta do something. Yeah, we got hours and hours of TV to fill, you know, because I mean it's it's every story has been told. There's only like you know, the old cliches, there's only seven jokes. It's just a different way to write. Every movie is the guy and the girl are going to meet and fall in love and they're going to get together or they're not. It's just the way that you do it. That's just fashion. Yeah, that's just you know how we're going to do it.
Speaker 1: Give yourself a reason to look forward to going to the mailbox each week with a PW Torch Newsletter paper copy. Subscription details at PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. It's twelve pages every week packed with my TV reports, along with exclusive features such as my cover story on the top story of the week, our pay per view roundtable reviews from the Torch staff, exclusive feature length columns from Greg Parks, Rich Fan, Sean Radikin, Alan Coonahan, and Zach Cadorn, Torch Talk transcripts, the latest news, and more. PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. Take a break from screen time and settle in every week with the Megadosa wrestling news and analysis with a Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter paper copy edition. In the year twenty twenty two. You can get a full year of home delivery for just ninety nine dollars, or try us for an eight week trial subscription PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. All right, so we covered the clash. I got about ten minutes, and I want to ask you a few other questions and a couple mailbak questions. Can we do that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 10: Do?
Speaker 1: Let's do it?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: I want to give the first email, uh here, get the first email here? Nelson says he's from the Bronx. He's a proud pw Torch VPP subscriber and a We Watch Wrestling podcast listener, So he comes first in our Mailbak segment. Here he says, one, can you see me down? Can you see Jimmy Havock and all these guys doing all that hardcore stuff on TNT on pay per view? Yes, but on cable, what do you think that?
Speaker 3: I mean, a version of it. I don't think that they're going to, you know, be swallowing sumbtexs and you know, falling through wheelbarrows or whatever they wheelbarrows, just the cracker barrels and stuff. You can do a version of it, but I don't think you need blood on TV. I mean it's also they're going to be running a traditional pay per view business, so they're in a better position than WWE in that respect because it's like, I have an incentive to want to tune into the pay per view because it's like, Wow, Jimmy Havock's crazy. You know, Joey Janella is crazy. They're going to do something crazy on the pay per view. It's it's there is an incentive to the hardcore thing. You can tease it on TV, you can go to a certain certain level with it, But if you want to see the real madness, then you got to buy the pay per view next one.
Speaker 1: And that should be the sales pitch. I mean, embrace it, right, you know we you know, don't say PG on the air and never say that because they're just telling fans the show could be more cool except for the guys upstairs, like, never draw attention to that. But you can say, you know, the rules are loosened, the platform is there and on pay per view, and everyone's gonna let loose and you know whatever. I mean, there's a way to frame it and and market it. But yeah, I don't, I don't I think they're gonna. I mean, I know people in whow you complain incessantly as a distraction from their own incompetence and bad decisions about standards and practices, but that you know, that can be an asset too. When you're in the pay per view business, you you should have your own standards and practices. One, because if you're good at what you're doing, you shouldn't have to do all the other stuff, and very often, and when you do do it, you should make people pay to see it, because that's the business you're in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I mean there's I mean, it's I mean it's like yeah, I mean we say yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's it's yeah, Matt, all right, So number two, do you think the tears system of a tear system for to B network would work? Are people going to pay fifteen dollars a month or more? I'm happy with ten dollars a month, but I don't know if I want to go beyond that because the WW product is not definitely said, it is definitely not setting the world on fire. Great job, gentlemen, keep up the great work, and Matt please keep doing those awesome vincement man impressions coming on your podcast. Do you and your partner make my day? When I tune in? Everyone go VP on PW Torch.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good, god, damn well, I think my Vince impersonation is a derivative of your Vince impersonation.
Speaker 3: Well minus derivative of Brian goork.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, there's a whole whole family trail here.
Speaker 3: Chain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you think of a tear system? If if they you know, the idea may be being introducing some of the satellite indie groups that they have a good relationship with, or other aspects of it that are on the tier. What would it take to do you think, to get most fans to pay five dollars extra and not just be angry about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, because there's so much I don't know what the incentive would be, you know, because for me there's too much product, you know, like I have it, Like I still haven't even gotten around to watch in the nxc UK show yet, you know I will at some point. Yeah, Like I love those guys. I love Bait, I love Walter, but it's like, it's it's it's just it's so funny, like the incentive of watching a great wrestling match isn't even enough anymore. Sometimes, Oh, you know.
Speaker 1: It's an embarrassing to riches, but it's it is.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: Bruce Mitchell in this week's Prosting Towards newsletter is as a second and in a multi part series of you know, with his mutual snark and and whatever you want to characterize that, but his guide to how to keep up on wrestling these days, and he has a very efficient way to keep up on on everything that's out there that that some people might to apply in order to have a functioning life. Otherwise it is it's it's you talked about it earlier in the show, you know, I mean you there, there's more than enough, And I do think that's a challenge for Doe to be getting to the question that asking people to pay more when now, I mean there's fifty million people are kind of have access to a product that people couldn't watch unless they sat down and watched Twitch live. So many people couldn't watch it and it was a pain to find it online and or you had to watch it on delay and then you're sort of out of the conversation. But Impact Wrestling on Access TV, fifty million people are gonna have a chance to see this on a weekly basis. Added to all this other stuff, not to mention the new NWA show coming up with Billy Corgan and Dave Lakhana and a studio show that I'm intrigued by all. I mean, MLW is out there on YouTube and on on b and sports. It's just there's so many different things out there and so many ways to access them. And now you've got Apple TV, apples say and subscribe to our TV service for four ninety nine a month or free with a new iPhone. Eventually those you know, five and ten dollars things add up and people start making tough decisions. I don't know that wwe can squeeze five more dollars out of people. And it reminds me of when Linna McMahon was at the helmet and justifying extra pay per views in the month and jacking up the price five dollars and five dollars more than five dollars more. You think these hardcore fans will pay whatever to get whatever, but eventually there's a saturation point and they just sort of it loses its specialness. That that sense of something being rare or hard to get makes it a lot more attractive. So I think it's I think they're I think they might be a little late. I'm trying to charge more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I'm curious to see what they think will make me want to pay that more money. I don't know that they have something that they can offer that I would pay more money to see.
Speaker 1: I mean to get NXT live on USA. Now that takes something away already that I think is going to cause some people to think I don't know if I need the network, I like, I want to get Takeover Specials, but maybe I'll wait to get the free month when one really jumps out that I need. But I yeah, I just I mean, you're taking NXT away as an exploded sort of it was on Hulu. But you know, I don't. I just don't think there are people say, oh, TV ratings don't matter because all the money, all the money they're getting from all these places. It does matter in the sense that it's it is the temperature gauge of how enthusiastic your fan base is to then spend money in other ways. And it's pretty cold right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I mean, if the incentive is gonna be uh oh, you can watch Progress or Evolve or whatever on the network, It's like if I wanted to watch Progress and Evolved, I could already be watching. Yeah, you know, I mean it's the fact is is I don't even have enough time to watch the things that I do want to watch, you know, Yeah, I mean it and this, I mean, it's just it goes back to like this idea, like Vincmickman, it's just out of touch on a lot of levels. And the TV viewing and internet habits is just the greatest example, like the idea of all, right, well we're gonna put NXT on USA up against AW and that's going to be our way to combat it. And it's like, well, I don't see that making a difference to me because I'm going to watch AW and then on Thursday n XC is going to be on your streaming thing that's on demand, right, doesn't not the deal? So like this isn't It's not nineteen ninety eight anymore, Like I don't have to choose between Like like here's the thing that where WCW screwed up in my household because I realized, oh, because well, first of all, if I was so inclined, I had a VCR and another cable box in the basement. I could just tape one and watch the other. You know, Nitro had a replay on it like one or two in the morning. So I was like, oh great, I'll watch RAW, put a tape in the VCR, go out, come back watch. Like this idea like oh well I have to watch live is gone like that that is there's no like if you want to be if you weren't.
Speaker 1: If you want to live watch with your friends on Twitter. That's that's kind of the remaining incentive beyond that, Yeah, time management, it takes over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's no there's no reason to watch anything live anymore unless you just absolutely have to watch it live.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, if you want to call the Waight Keller Pro Wrestling post show and be part of the conversation, sure, then you want to watch it live or maybe start an hour late and speed through it. But you know, I mean, honestly though, like that, it's it's that that's kind of the level we're at in terms of watching stuff live, because I mean when Netflix dropped House of Cards and like the whole season right there, I was like, what are they doing? Like and now it's just that's what people expect, you know, like just watch it. I'll watch it when I want. I'll either binge or I'll wait to hear if it's good or whatever. You know, wrestling is a little different. You don't want to wait too long. But yeah, the delayed watching is standard practice now for people. And obviously that's part of the reasons the ratings are down. But WWE's making all their money from Fox and WC Universal because they want live viewership, so w B needs to figure out how to serve them and not just wave the white flag and say no one does that anymore. And I just don't get the sense from Vince or even the brass there that they've fully figured out, you know, how important it is to get people who care about being live. But I also get the conundrum of putting NXT on USA and then taking it away from network subscribers. So it's it's tough. It's a learning curve for everybody. Okay. Another email Chris from Buffalo, New York. Another VP member, Matt, is there a drastic difference in writing for college humor skits and things along those lines in comparison to writing for WWE. This is a serious question. WWE seems to have a joke of a writing staff or easily ten plus years thanks as always in go VIP. I don't quite get the question, but he addressed the two.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I understand the question either. I mean, well, first of all, the writing team of WWE is not a joke.
Speaker 1: They're They're great, I think Vince McMahon and is where the buck stops. I think people yeah have figured that out. Who listened to this show usually. Yeah, I mean, I mean, obviously there's writers who don't know what they're doing who come along every once in a while, and I don't think they make it up the chain and last. And there's we know from interviewing people like you and Gulls and others from the past fifteen years, there's a massive frustration because there's people of wrestling fans who want to who just end up realizing, Vince McMann is, you're writing for one person and all these good ideas and good concepts get lost in the process.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I mean, the only difference there's I don't know. I mean as far as writing sketch comedy, it's it just depends on well, there's differences and there's similarities. But I mean for writing sketches is it's kind of one and done. Whereas wrestling, when you're writing for ww WE, it's a little more like comic book writing. Not that I've written books, but just being being a fan of both and having written for WWE, is it's this endless mythology, you know, it's the storyline that has no end, whereas a sketch.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 3: With comedy, writing is your right. I mean, the difference is you have to write a beginning of middle and an end, whereas with WWE, the programs, the storylines in and of themselves have a beginning of middle and an end. You know, the rivalry starts because Hulk Hogan uh is, you know, sweet on Miss Elizabeth or at least that, So that's the beginning. In the middle is you know, you've got listivil eyes in your heart for you know, blah blah blah, and then the end is WrestleMania five. But the the similarity is that we with comedy is the same as with any storytelling. I think the the similarity is we're building tension and then we need to relieve that tension, whereas like the build of a match is you're just building incentives to want to see the match, whereas with the match itself, I think is more similar to the sketch writing because that you have that beginning the middle and then and and you have that like take let's take like a standard WWE match, which is the Hull Cogan match, which is, you know, you get some back and forth and then you get heat on the baby face and you're pouring heat on the baby face, and then you just finally get the baby Face come back, and then the Babyface wins. Every Hull Cogan match is the same thing. It's always a little back and forth. Then something happens Boom, Hulk is down, and Hulk is down the whole time, and then suddenly, all of a sudden, the Hulk just gets a miraculous breath of fresh air. He starts fighting his way out. You know, that's that's basically comedy writing. Is you have a game, and you figure out what the game is, and then you go through, like like an SNL sketch. You see what the game is. They set it up at the very beginning, and then you just kind of go through all the permutations of how how many different ways can we tell this joke until we've exhausted it and now we've come to the end. You know, how much heat can we get on Hull Cogan before we've You know, there's either there's either two ways that it can end. One he has to come back and now we're all happy, or the other way is that we've gotten too much heat on him and I either become bored as an audience member or I'm starting to lose faith in my hero that I'm like, gosh, he you know, what's he going to do to get out of this? So it's the same thing with like sketch writing of like you know, building building to a a a desirable client.
Speaker 9: You know, longing for some nostalgia or maybe you want to learn some wrestling history. Don't miss the Nineties Past cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed. Alex and Patrick will transport you thirty years into the past by taking you through the Torch issue from that very week. Follow news from the WWF and WCW and all the happenings from across the wrestling industry in real time as the Torch reported it thirty years ago. That's the Nineties Pass cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed.
Speaker 1: All right, Matt, I got in on this note. I want a prediction Week one NXT on USA, what's the rating? And then Week three NXT versus Week ONEAW on October October second, I think what who wins? And is it by a wide margin or a narrow margin?
Speaker 3: NXT Week one, I think the rating will.
Speaker 1: Be SmackDown this week for listeners. Comparison was one point five to five and it was up. Their ten week average is one point five two, so that's kind of that's what they've been doing on Tuesdays in the USA.
Speaker 3: I could see it being eight eighty, eight hundred and eighty thousand, and I think that AEW is going to win the first week for sure, no matter how many hot shots, you know, all all the bells and whistles they can pull out. Because I think that there has been a there is a degree of overlap. I think that there are you know, people like us who will watch everything, who just like pro wrestling. I think that there is another group that just watches w and that's all they know and that's all they will ever care about. I think that there is another group that got burned out in WWE, is sick of it and is gravitating towards something new. But I think that there is a very young, different audience that has been turned on to either New Japan or PWG or being the elite. There is a new audience that AW has built that has cultivated that these are the people that bought all those Bullet Club shirts at hot Topic. I mean, I think that they have kept into a new audience that is not a casual fan. I think they have created a new wrestling fan who isn't necessarily interested in WWE, who has discovered this brand new thing. And I think that that is I'm on the edge of my seat to see. Yeah, what it's going to mean for TV ratings.
Speaker 1: It's so wide open. I mean, nobody knows, and whatever happens, there is going to be a certain percent who go, of course, and someone has to be like, well, of course Ayway's gonna win by two to one margin. Of course that next you win by two to one margin, that would behind him, promoting him. Yeah, we'll see Matt, Thank you so much. Time flies and love getting your insight in stories and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I always love doing it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: At McCarthy redhead everywhere on social media. We watch wrestl Right, we watch wrestling. Go subscribe right now on your podcast app.
Speaker 3: Thanks Matt's right that we watch wrestling podcast. Check it out and you can check out the Pro Wrestling Fans Single on Spotify or go to my website McCarthy. Uh this is Matt McCarthy dot com and you can order a seven inch single. I have a couple left and uh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, We'll talk to you soon, looking forward to what comes up in the next month.
Speaker 3: Here, all right, Letterbud.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed my conversation today with Matt McCarthy, you need to go VIP and click immediately on the special section on our VIP website sidebar featuring over one hundred interviews that I've conducted with over a dozen x WWE creative team members, dating back to Vince Russo when I ad Ferrara, through the two thousands and into the twenty tens or the teens, whatever we call these this decade and fascinating long form interviews, all kinds of behind the scenes insights on some of the most fascinating personalities, controversial angles, and big time matches and events. You will learn as much insider info from that as you will from any wrestling book, and probably more than listening to wrestler hosted podcasts, because the writers go behind the scenes on Vince McMahon a lot more than wrestlers are willing to, especially when they're out of the business, and they also go into the creation to take you back into the kitchen. It's not about how the plate looked and how people enjoy the food. It's about how the food was made and all the arguing amongst chefs, and so it's a whole different perspective. There's no bigger collection of creative team members from WWE revealing all kinds of inside information on what went on behind the scenes and just opinions on different things that happened, and also their take on current events since they left the company. In surprising directions, things have gone since their departures. So that's one of just like an endless array of really cool things that happen when you go VIP that get unlocked and are available to you. The Weight Keller Podcasts AD free, plug free on podcast feeds on iPhone and Android are AD free mobile side or AD free desktop site. Thirty plus years of back issues of the Prosing Torch Newsletter retro radio shows from the nineties. A weekly Promissing Torch Newsletter. New issue out this week with some great content and in depth NXT Roster Overview three or three plus pages of in depth breakdown of the whole roster each tier, Men, Women, tag teams by Kelly Else also callings from Greg Parks and Bruce Mitchell. My reports on Raw SmackDown and NXT from this past week with expanded analysis, the Torch news Wire and much more so to go vip PW torch dot com slash go vi ip, and you can also get information on getting a paper copy of that newsletter delivered to your home address if if you want to read it on paper rather than a digital PDF or all text version with a VIP membership. For information on home delivery, go to PW torch dot com slash Paper Copy. So PW torch dot com slash go VIP and PW torch dot Com Slash Paper Copy for your two options. You can subscribe to one or the other or both. That'd be great, all right. So if you missed yesterday's Thursday Flagship, Jason Paul joined me for a couple hours and we went in depth on everything going on this week and everything coming up in October. Just it's it's it's getting I say it all the time now it's just it's buckle up. It's gonna get crazy. It's going to be so much fun in October, and we're gonna be here with you every step of the way. I hope you're with us, So subscribe if you haven't, and check out our post show, the Red Loco brand, the Way Keller Prog Wrestling post show that includes the post shows on Ron SmackDown this week and next week it includes Rock SmackDown and NXT on USA Network Slash WWE Network, and then we're just a few weeks away now listen, a few weeks away from the first AEW versus NXT battle, which is overshadowing but not necessarily more important than what WWW does on their premiere Fox episode of SmackDown. The Anniversary Show. Probably big changes, big matches, big names, a new look, certainly a new logo. Just an amazing way coming up the first week of October, So great time to go, VIP. We hope you will either way stick around and we'll go on this journey together. Thanks for Matt McCarthy. Always fascinating talking to him. I love the vinsment man stories I learn every time I talk to him, and it's just fun getting his perspective as someone who's been in stand up comedy and acting and also just a longtime wrestling fan, someone who's worked behind the scenes and followed it his whole life before and after we worked for WWE. Just there's nobody with that set of credentials or bullet points on his resume. No one matches that it's a unique set, and for him to come on here and talk for two hours and share his opinions and insight and backstage stories is always a blast. And many more of those interviews are available when you go VIP and our special Creative Team collection. Okay, follow me on Twitter at the Wade Keller. Follow our brand at pw torch on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Be sure you're checking out petewtorch dot com for breaking news, my live coverage of Raw SmackDown, wwbpay Perviews, AW pay Perviews, and AWNXT coming up, plus other TV reports from other contributors, other editorial features, flashbacks, and so much more. If you attend a live wrestling event, send us a report at our catch all email for news and results, pw Torch at pw torch dot com easy to remember if you have new or results. If you want to type up what happened at a live event you attended, WWE or otherwise any promotion, send it along and we'll publish it on pewtorch dot com so it's out there in cyberspace forever. You can get your opinions and help contribute to our knowledge of what's going on all around the country every night of the week. That's Pwtorch at pekwtorch dot com. If you want to be an on site correspondent for future episodes of Ross SmackDown, a w or NXT on the way Keller progressing post show, the email for that is the email for this podcast, Wade Keller Podcast at pwtorch dot com. Weadkeller Podcast dot pewtorch dot com. Put the date in the city in the subject line so we know what you're emailing about and we could be in touch. All right, that'll do it, Thanks everybody, and until next time. Wadkeller signing off. I invite you to email the show with feedback or questions or comments. That email address is Wadekeller Podcast at petwtorch dot com. That's Wadekeller Podcast at PW torch dot com. Also welcome your feedback on Twitter. You can follow us on Twitter at PW torch and follow me at the Wadekeller That's at PW torch and at the Wadekeller.
Speaker 8: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me. Jason Powell host them the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week he'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at Pro Wrestling dot need along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and Itunestitcher, downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom.
Speaker 1: Dot Thanks for listening to our podcast. Did you know we also have a website pw toorch dot com. Daily news updates, editorials, and my live TV coverage covering Raw, Dynamite and SmackDown and my live pay per view coverage for WWE and AEW. Create a tab or bookmark make it a daily stop. Visit us throughout the day every day to keep up on breaking news and more. That's pw torch dot com.
Speaker 11: Meet an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts. Will come join me Alan forel Over in the Progress Paradise at pterwew Torch VIP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it US, Japan, Europe or Mexico.
Speaker 1: There's always a.
Speaker 11: Place for wrestlings past and the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderliger and our I Was there When shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attends for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pw tors VIP subscription information on a list of all the VIP benefits is available at PW Torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site.
Speaker 1: See you in the Paradise. One way that you can help us sustain our schedule of putting out podcasts throughout the week is by giving us a five star rating on Apple Podcasts. Just go to Apple Podcasts and look for our Weightkeller Pressing Podcast and Weightkeller Processing Post show and give us a five star rating. We hope you think We've earned that score with our fast turnaround times and our quantity and quality of wrestling analysis throughout the week. So take a moment out for us and do us favor and give us a five star rating at Apple Podcasts. That helps us on search returns and helps us grow. And if you want, you can add a few comments about what you like about the programs in the comments section. Thank you so much.
Speaker 12: In twenty twelve, NXT transitioned into the developmental system and ultimately the brand you see today. On the Torch VIP podcast NXT Eight Years Back, we'll be taking a weekly look at this page in NXT's early history.
Speaker 6: Join Kelly Wells and me Tom Stout from PWT Talks NXT every Saturday as we go eight years back to the day to track NXT's rising talents and why they did or didn't work out exclusively for PW Torch VIP members.
Speaker 1: A PW Torch Vip membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nine and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now we're approaching twenty years of podcasting. Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. PW torch dot com slash go vip. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. PW torch dot com slash go vip