Speaker 1: It's welcome, welcome stone in.
Speaker 2: The destinately disasters about to begin.
Speaker 1: Let it go, mishaps, bull board the horrible Comnation story too, go to conspiracy. You know the plan. We dig down deep to free this land, to uncast, we free the soul.
Speaker 3: Come brade the screw. Let a true dunfold. Booie, grab your seat. Let the story role.
Speaker 2: It's foking, it's fresh, it touched, so.
Speaker 1: Deplorable Codination, we should let's wake the mode etastardly disaster.
Speaker 2: Truth me. So I got to pick up my kiddo and leave by like probably two fifty, but we should be done by then.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome back to another episode of Deplorable Nation. I'm your host, Deplorable Janet, and today my beautiful, intelligent, lovely bestie mess Heidi is back and we are starting a new series. And I'm super excited about this because, oh I have had some experiences in this field. So we are starting a dastardly disaster series and it is about workplace dangers, workplace injuries, things like that that are either complates or off the wall. Some of them are funny, some of them are a bit disturbing or creepy or whatever. You want to say. So I'm I'm looking forward to this because there's so much in this show to get into and talk about. So welcome back, my beautiful friend, miss Heidi. How are you well?
Speaker 2: I'm extra good because my husband said your prayers just worked. I don't know I needed to talk to Jannet earlier. That light went off, so hey.
Speaker 4: Hey amen, amen car.
Speaker 2: My car light. I just unloaded on poor Janet and I think she had me in her thoughts, and hey, I gotta call Janet sooner.
Speaker 4: Dang, that was That's exactly right. You should have called me when the first thing happened.
Speaker 2: I always feel bad. I'm always like, eh, your problem child, But today I definitely have been in problem situations on this, so I'm gonna have fun telling you guys. Of course I got slides, but I think I have a lot of experience on this because I think from aut aged nine until I got actually saved by Jesus, and even sometimes it still occurs. But beforehand, I was the walking accident. So yeah, and I've put.
Speaker 4: Me I've experienced like several of the things on this list, like at work with either me or people around me, or the hospital at General or whatever. So it's these are going to be some interesting things that I have a lot of personal stories to go along with me too.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one because gesh.
Speaker 4: Yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you trip over your own feet all the time. And I'm like, they're pretty big, I mean big groups. Duh. Yeah, you got a kid with size ten shoe.
Speaker 4: That's just going to be like super interesting. And I hope like some people understand like how crazy work life can be when it comes to certain things, and how even though some of these are so random and like off the beaten path that they could possibly happen. Obviously it's happened to somebody at some point in time down the way because they added it, oh diagnosis code in the codebook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that's There's you got some Dizy's girl. When I read through these, I was like, good heavens, what on earth somebody did this? They sure did. I found it.
Speaker 4: And these are only like a small portion of it of the weird codes that are in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I about died laugh And I was like, she got some good ones. I leave it to Janet. Yeah, that's why when we do this, that's why we do this together because she she brings the smarts and I bring the slides.
Speaker 4: So I don't know about all that, but you know, there's just from being in the field for so long and like I did work comp stuff and whatever, and so I'm definitely no stranger to a lot of these things that we're going to talk about the problems, right, So the first one we're going to talk about is MRI I magnet incidents and if you've ever had an MRI, which is magnetic resonance imaging, if you've ever had one, honest to god, the very first thing that they should do before they ever take you back to the dressing room is have you fill out a questionnaire if you have any type of metal in your body, whether it be piercings, if you have tattoos like when the tattoos were done, because a lot of the old tattoo ink had metal containing elements in it, so those were a thing as well.
Speaker 2: You don't want your penis come flying on the machine exactly, and that's not metal.
Speaker 4: Because anything that is metal even patients. And sad to say, but we did have the patient that was scheduled for an MRI. MRI was in our building, but it was in the end of the building and the patient was on an oxygen tank and they allowed the patient to take the oxygen tank into the MRI room. And I'm like, oh my god, it's a magnet. You don't want any kind of magnet at all, or any metal in a room with an MRI machine, because we need on things, get projectile wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, a penis, piercings, nipple piercings.
Speaker 2: Howie, I do have a picture here for you. I don't know if you saw or added yet, but uh, I think they did this one on purpose, because right, I mean yeah, I don't think they'd really And it.
Speaker 4: Is a wheelchair that is stuck to the MRI machine, and that literally happens. Like if you ever played magnet stuff when you were a little kid, you should know. You know that you could draw paper clips and whatever. And yes, we've had people that would come in and they'd say, oh, no, I don't have any piercings at all, nipple rings, out, piercings the whole nine yards and it literally rips it right out of your private parts. The machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not fun. They do let you keep your wedding ring on now and I think, I think, maybe you know if it's gold or whatever. But they asked me what it was made of and they let me keep it on, and I was sketched. I was like, and they're like, we don't really like you to lock it up and we don't really want to.
Speaker 4: Keep it for you, so right, because they're right, it's gonna get stolen, right because there's a problem with theft.
Speaker 2: But it was moving like it was. It wasn't strong because it's gold.
Speaker 4: But like, yeah, so even people that have had because I have a metal plate and cruise and stuff in my back, and so they're supposed to ask you about any hardware that's inside your body as well. And when you had that put in because of its recent you sure shit don't want to have an MRI because it will literally rip that right out your back or your knee or wherever. The plates are so.
Speaker 2: Real, how come it doesn't later just the scar tissue.
Speaker 4: They said that surgical implants are diping depending on the facility, but you're supposed to wait at least six months post surgery up to eighteen months, depending on what the facility's guidelines are. Because I guess they figure that it'll have time to, you know, get in place and start getting growth over it and whatever so it doesn't come out. But I'm still sketched about sketchy, I still and I had my plate put in a really long time ago. I don't want an MRI at all, because I can feel it vibrate still.
Speaker 2: I cry in those that is, I don't have a ton of but that is. It's not a fear. I just don't like it. I just don't like to be close. I don't like things in my face in general.
Speaker 4: So back up, same And it's really loud, you know, and it makes all kinds of noise. And they try to put like a lot of places will put headphones on you or whatever, turn on music for you to listen to.
Speaker 2: But I can't have that. I have to. I'm a weirdo. I like need to hear it. I don't know, I don't want another sense removed from me.
Speaker 4: I guess it's right, especially if you are claustrophobic and you don't like in close spaces and and things like that. And for people that have never had one, it is literally like inserting you into a giant tube, and it's it's often Yeah, it's just like that. And so if you've never had one.
Speaker 2: And then it goes wa wa wa wa waw or like all these weird noises, and that doesn't really bother me. Just maybe all of it together is sensory overload. An you know, what's funny that they can find out of your DNA test Because I was a ormy once and I did that, it knew that I would have a predisposition to claustrophobia. Isn't that strange? And fear of heights. I'm like, isn't that weird that they would know that I moved my foot soil off?
Speaker 4: Sure you did, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: See anyway, Yeah, so they like know this, I guess you're predisposed, which is weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very interesting how they can tell that from the swab of your DNA.
Speaker 2: Right, Like it must be ancestral.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, but that's very creepy to me.
Speaker 2: Creepy.
Speaker 4: So number two is needle and scalpel mishaps. This, oh my god, happens more times than I can tell you.
Speaker 2: And so those scalpels are the sharpest.
Speaker 4: Things, are sharpest ship hit. Yeah, and so especially for me because I worked in a teaching facility. We taught a lot of doctors to how to do removals of you know, all different kinds of things. We did all kinds of surgeries in our office. And so was our doctor prone to the accidents. No, it was students that we were teaching or whatever. Because the place that I was at, you have the handle, the blade part is separate, and so the doctor has to attach that blade to the handle.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know.
Speaker 4: And so not only where they're scalpel incidents and people cut themselves, but people have stapled their fingers trying to put staples in somebody because they don't know how to wear gloves and staple. They blued themselves together. That is the common thing when you're using the closure blue all the time. People getting stuck with suitures. That happens all the time, especially if you have students that are watching. But needlesticks are a huge thing.
Speaker 2: So here's my stuffy story about the needles and scalpel. It didn't happen, But the scaredest I've ever been. So if a baby tries to come out breach, it cannot happen anymore, at least here in Utah. They will shove the baby back in, and I happen to be the one in the vagina at the time, so he said, let go and hold the baby and I'm like uh but and they're like, you're gonna ride on the gurney and you're gonna hold the baby. I'm like, oh my gosh, so I'm going back there. Well, once we get in the o R, I was like, okay, right, and he's like no, once you're in, it's you. And I was like, okay, what do I do? And he's like, we're gonna walk over So they get her prepped. I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, your.
Speaker 2: Basket, I'm in there, and he goes, okay, now get underneath the table and I'm like, uh uh. I already mentioned that I don't like overly, like in in closed areas, and now they're draping this bed and I don't have a choice. And my hand is in there and they're going to cut her open where my hand is and I'm like please please, and I'm cut I don't I don't like to not see what's happening, or at least be in control of my own fingers, and I'm like, please don't cut my fingers. Off, please, He's like, we do this all the time. He was so irritated with me, but like blood is coming down. It was horrible. It was that was not There are so many fluids when they do a se section. Very uncomfortable day. Yeah. Yeah, so that's one.
Speaker 4: The facility that I worked out worked at, we had a nurse that did not know how to stick syringes or butterfly needles or anything in a sharp container. She would go to the girl and she would leave the needle sticking out, and so she caused needlesticks for multiple different employees, which, of course then you have to go have tons of testing done and to go through you know, repeated blood drawers and stuff to make sure you don't have hepatitis or HIV or any of.
Speaker 2: The you're sweating it the whole time too, because and so.
Speaker 4: If these incidents actually are supposed to be reported to your health and safety office, they're supposed to federally report these things, and it's a fine, it's a huge fine any any kind of instances like that.
Speaker 2: I had a stick from a patient. This was he had necrotizing fasciitis from a spider bite, and he was a trucker and he jerked. I mean, and that butterfly went right in my knee because I was kneeling on the side of the bed. And I was like, oh my gosh, like talk about panic because I'm like, he has flesh eating disease.
Speaker 4: You're like, what tomorrow I'm gonna wake up without a leg fan.
Speaker 2: Truck driver And I'm like, God, Lord, like, is this worst case scenario. I mean, it gets around the country, that's all. I'm just hoping he was good. But apparently he was not saying every truck driver is naughty or anything. I'm just saying he has lots of opportunities.
Speaker 4: Right as the saying goes with truck drivers. So the next thing we have is radiation exposure accidents. Hopefully you have a facility where you wear a docimeter and they closely monitor that. But it happens not just because they don't take the proper precautions. They don't you know, stand behind their little wall when they're radiating you. They have to be protected, right, And yeah, I mean this is a terrible radiation burning for people that are not watching all the way. The fingertips are completely black and beneath that, like the all the knuckles are red as could be the skin is feelings, he's going to lose those fingertips, yes, one hundred percent. I mean this can also happen if your machines aren't calibrated properly. That's why you have a biomedical department that is supposed to keep a close eye on those things and make sure that that does not happen.
Speaker 2: In fun fact, for people that don't know this, nurses and doctors, any ems workers have the highest incidents of thyroid cancer. Why you may ask, and I did have thyroid cancer. I've literally given my body to science alive because I did get thyroid cancer. Because when you're performing CPR, everybody knows you don't really stop. They say you can stop and walk way, but most of us choose to not stop and continue CPR while they flash us. They call it flash. You know you'll be flashed. And I can't count how many times. But I already had a predisposition genetically, so that really bumped me up into no man's land on that one. So yeah, fun fact, And if you.
Speaker 4: Think about like the facilities who have portable X rays that they bring into your room or whatever, and it's not a leadlined room. They don't have the wall for people to stand behind or whatever. And if you're the nurse and they bring in a portable machine, you're exposed one hundred percent. But guess what, as a nurse, you probably are not wearing a docimer to measure your amount of radiation that you're getting.
Speaker 2: Please just step outside the glass wall in.
Speaker 4: Most cases and that'll that'll definitely stop it.
Speaker 2: All right, that really helped. Yeah, the next one, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: The next one, I am telling you I have a pac Man ear. It's completely split, split down the middle. Now, this one is from unexpected patient behavior. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is a diagnosis.
Speaker 2: So people actually worked. I work at a psyche hospital. This was a different hospital. They're closed. Now. This was from one patient, just one, and I just wanted to show the sheer damage. These are separate walls on either side of the door. Not this isn't the same picture over again. This is his body, you guys, right, And it took seven people to take him down and he was seventeen, and so yeah, it can be a situation.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's what they do because and this this includes this as like an umbrella statement. Right, So it's it's biting from patients being scratched, being knocked unconscious, you know, all the kinds of things people like Heidi said, punching holes in the wall. We did at our facility. We did a favor for a local oral surgeon, and so we had to do all of the pre opts for his patients that would come from highly mentally disabled facilities. He was the only oral surgeon in town that would take these patients. We did the pre ops. These patients are supposed to be heavily medicated when they come into your office because they're uber agitated. Their meat. They're aggressive. Like everything that you do bothers them, blood pressure, pulse, you know, all of that stuff. Anything trying to get their height, wait, whatever, everything pisses them all. They're already agitated. A lot of them were not medicated properly. So I had a patient actually launch me over the exam table and my ear is torn.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have been bi.
Speaker 2: I have been. I've not been bit, but all the rep I've been punched, hit, scratched. It's a common thing. The worst late you know what, The worst one I ever did was a lady, and she was too quiet, and I told everybody that chick was gonna go b batshit crazy, like she was too too in her head quiet, and I was like, she ain't okay, man, I can, And she was in yoga clothes, and I was like, this bitch is gonna give us a run for our money. And I'm like and sure enough, everybody, yeah, because we can't give so on that fun fact. We can't give this anymore. This is our fun cocktail. We can by law give this. We can't even give it within like an hour to two hours of each other, even close, like even orally like it's changed. And I get that people were abusing it. But also this lady i'm telling you about, she took down four grown men. She bit everybody into this day. They have huge bite marks in their arms. And the only reason why I didn't get that is because I played this with my brother a lot when I was young, and I have long arms. So I just put her on her forehead to play keep away, right, And they got mad at me, and I was like, no, I had the hockey shirt of guy to get her away from him. And she thought she was somewhere else and he was somewhere else and she kept saying kiss me, kiss me, and he was like help me what.
Speaker 4: He's like, I don't want to kiss you. Yeah, I was, I don't even know you.
Speaker 2: Don't take my shirt. Don't take it. He had a gym like material shirt and I said, it's either the shirt or I can't help you. And he's like, take the shirt off. To take the shirt up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's crazy the amount of abuse the nursing staff or medical staff in general take from patients. And you're not supposed to fight back. You're not supposed to touch.
Speaker 2: Them or what.
Speaker 4: Even patients that like you have to get special permissions to put somebody in restraints that is combative and abuse.
Speaker 2: I take so just to work where I work, to deal with people that are mostly okay. Where I work now, in my unit because my back they move me. I have to take like multiple days a year on self defense, how to not die because we do military patients, and basically how to not get strangled to death. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't think a lot of people realize that when they're talking about nursing and and you know, how they want to go into nursing, that these are problems that you encounter on your job, and the rules are not made to protect you. The rules are made for the patients, right.
Speaker 2: You got to be careful because you might have a crazy nurse too.
Speaker 4: Ha.
Speaker 2: This is us messing around at night time when everybody finally went to bed that night because we had to blow off some steam. I cut the other nurses out, but we were being silly.
Speaker 4: I see you. I like that idea though, because a lot of times things get so dark and heavy that you have to do those things. Yeah, and have those types of minutes to like come down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: So the next one super interesting. I have never been around somebody that did this, but it does happen. So it's chemical reactions in a laboratory. So sometimes laboratory workers mix incompatical chemicals and obviously they didn't do very good in chemistry, and they have no idea what's going to happen, so it causes explosion. Boom talk to booms, and I will say one of the things that they said is most common is mixing for maldehyde with bleach. Why the hell you and early that? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I.
Speaker 4: Will tell you. Speaking on the subject, or for maldehyde again, because I worked in a teaching hospital and we had all of these medical students, all these doctors that were rotating through and we have to teach them how to do literally everything but wipe their butt. And We're in the surgery suite and I'm trying to tell this doctor and they don't listen to nurses for do do. I'm trying to tell this doctor, Okay, we're going to be removing alesion. Here's the little jar of formaldehyde because we're going to send it off for a sample. We're gonna suture. I'm explaining the whole procedure to the guy, and I'm like, you want to make sure that you are holding the container of the marld hyde with two hands, or make sure it is setting on a flat surface before you unscrew the lid. That did not happen, and he literally went the lid was not on, It splashed and it went in my eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: I had to go to the flush station flesh out my eyeballs. Then they took me by ambulance to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I spent six hours in the er with one of those. It is the most uncomfortable thing in the planet. It's an ocular piece that they put in your eyeball to hold your eye completely open, and they ran bags of sailine wide open for six hours and my eyeballs and then I was off work for three weeks after that because I could not see still antibiotic ointment crap, which of course you can't see with that anyway. Oh no, Like I was almost blinded because of that.
Speaker 2: And I think he knew more than you knew.
Speaker 4: I did not have vision problems until I had that happen.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's.
Speaker 4: Why, like I can't I have to wear glasses when I'm looking at a computer or a screen. I can't see at night, I can't see distances. I can't see a lot of stuff because my eyeballs are burned up.
Speaker 2: Geez. Well, you know, Janet, do you know the difference between God and a surgeon?
Speaker 4: Actually, specifically, it's the one and the same.
Speaker 2: Well, God knows he's not a surgeon, ha ha ha. But I'm welcome.
Speaker 4: It is the truth. And especially doctor students that would come in with like their parents were also doctors. They're the ones that really don't listen, and they're.
Speaker 2: The one they never do.
Speaker 4: They also cause the most workplace accidents of anything I've ever worked around.
Speaker 2: What would you know after tons of experience, Janet, and he's just a newbie and green as can be.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm yep.
Speaker 2: Way to go, doctor, dipshit wherever you are.
Speaker 4: So she has on the screen pictures of burns from of course, chemical reactions in the laboratory, So massive blistering on the hand, blisters that have popped on the hand, and burns to the lab coat that a person was wearing. This was from an actual accident from twenty eighteen where a flame resistant lab coat prevented further injury from person, but they were in an air reactive chemical reaction and so their globes did not prevent second degree burns. Well no, because guess what you're wearing Latex are nitral ketches fire super easy.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean to say that. Look, I've made my fair share of mistakes and still do all the time with lots of things. But here's the deal. When your mistake is because you're full of pride and your pompous that is not the same thing as an innocent mistake. So I will clarify that for future doctors and nurses.
Speaker 4: And the next one is autoclave accident. We actually autoclaved our own stuff. And what that is it is a giant sterilizer machine that you have for yourself. It's under a lot of pressure, a lot of steam pressure, and so you sterilize uh, scissors, suture holders, uh, you know, anything, all the instruments that you use, especially if you work in a big office or a big facility, you do your own sterilizing. The doors.
Speaker 2: Un fact, they sterilize you, guys, just so you know. They sterilize regular hand tools often like hammers, uh, and different weird stuff and spoons in obi real like dining spoons.
Speaker 4: I don't think I would want that to go in with no maam surgical equipment. But these are are so highly pressurized. And when you after you get all this stuff in there, you know, put it on the or whatever. You shut the door. It's supposed to seal shut. You're supposed to hear it lock. Sometimes people don't close the door properly. They don't wait for it to latch properly and seal, so the door can blow open, which literally means because it's highly pressurized, all of the equipment that you just put inside there it's going to go a fly in.
Speaker 2: And this is a great picture of exactly that. It blew a freaking hole in a bunch of things in the office. It doesn't just go fly and it blew everything up.
Speaker 4: Blew a hole in the wall. It looks like it wrecked some shilding. Yeah, so yeah, that's a thing. Now. The next one I have never in my life ever even heard of. And I'm assuming this was older day because now the material is different. But this was cast explosions.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find a picture of this because it is so old. So this is the victims of POMPEII and they casted them, and I thought, hey, why not? Pretty cool?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. So it says this is often very rare. But certain fiberglass or plaster casts, which plaster was old timy days, they use fiberglass stuff now are applied with the wrong chemicals. I don't know what kind of chemicals they were using to apply because the fiberglass you literally soak it in water, soaked the roll in water and that's it.
Speaker 2: We got cute. I don't know what these are plaster, I don't know what the heck you would be put in.
Speaker 4: I have never even like the old plaster cast it's literally plaster or paris that you mix with water. So what what were they applying? I have no idea. Now I assume that would make sense if they were like applying vasaline to it or something. I don't know. That's a petroleum based products. So could you cause a fire from that? Yes, but it has happened in the past, obviously, because that's the thing. So it can actually burn the patient, burn the staff, whatever.
Speaker 2: Poor this guy he went ask over tea kettle and got he had to stay that way forever. Can you imagine U.
Speaker 4: That would be terrible. Or the other guy who looks like he's giving birth. We're on the.
Speaker 2: Table, just changing right here, y'all.
Speaker 4: So the next one is laser surgery burns because lasers are powerful, right, so they can accidentally catch fire two masks, drapes, their gloves, their clothing, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, even from surgically controlled lasers, especially if you have a little bit of stupidity going on in the room. Maybe they's a laser correctly, Yeah, so that does happen. There's a picture of a person I'm assuming that's.
Speaker 2: A leg purposeful laser burn, but it was the best one to show. This is laser deep breadment. So for people that don't know what that is, it's just they're trying to get rid of the bad flesh and you know sometimes bone whatever, they're clearly down to the bone here, uh, and they use the laser to debreed. And so it was a purposeful burn, but a burden nonetheless.
Speaker 4: Now we did not have lasers in our office, but we did have high fricators, which for people that don't know, it is a machine, a portable machine that you use like whenever you remove assist a mole something like that on a person. It runs through electrical current and it actually has tips that you put on this wand where it cauterizes wounds and things like that. So have we had people that burnt themselves with the hypricator and damaged their own skin or severely damaged a patient skin because they went too deep.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And if you guys don't know that name, sometimes they call it the bov It's just a brand name, right. This was actually for hair removal, and multiple times this happens with hair removal, and this can be really serious, right.
Speaker 4: I think I will pass. I was always a razor. I yeah that, Like this part of his face is gone from from a laser accent.
Speaker 2: That's so scary. I think. I think this was he late had a laser like a mole or something, and it went horribly wrong.
Speaker 4: So yeah, obviously that went horribly wrong. So the next one, I have seen this before as well. It's bed and table malfunctions because most of the tables you can you can tilt them, you can change position, you can move bedrails up and down the whole nine yards, and so have we had people that got their hand pinched in something or cut in something on the bed. Absolutely, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: It happens, and they do drop people sometimes.
Speaker 4: Especially if they're like these pictures that she's showing. Think about like if an ambulance comes to pick up a person or whatever, especially if any bolts or anything like that are loose or the legs collapse.
Speaker 2: This one was not going to drop.
Speaker 4: Patients out of the beds. That's why they're supposed to be. He bolted in but out, just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one, it was a video and I had a screenshot, but he goes full over. It was stuck. You could tell he was trying to kind of shake it loose and it wasn't his fault. Yeah, but look at her, she can she can tell it's happening.
Speaker 4: Probably, and things like this probably happened more often just because of people error, because they don't check to make sure that the beds and things like that are you know, proper working order, screws or attached bolts are attached, all of that kind of stuff, So you know, that would be awful. So the next one that I have, and I've seen this as well, is odd slip and fall cases. Now, the examples that they use to me are acdine.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to use this because I couldn't find it good.
Speaker 4: That's why, because this says not just on liquids, but errant blood bags, Like why would you have errant blood bags just randomly on the floor.
Speaker 2: Especially rolling Here's what it is. Every nurse knows you get the air in the line, you sometimes put it in the garbage can and you miss, but not blood.
Speaker 4: For heaven's sake, Well it says blood or rolling pins. Now, if I could see if you were in a back at bakery having a rolling pin accident, even says wayward prosthetic limbs.
Speaker 2: Not ever, that's a great one.
Speaker 4: But I will tell you. And here's another story for you, speaking of the medical students who don't listen. Since we did a lot of cist removals and things like that, and anybody that knows what a sebacious cyst is, it is very gross. They fill up with dead, decaying skin, sales, sweat, gland build up, all the whole nine yards. The stuff that comes out is gross. But they are really really pressurized, and so I'm trying to tell this student. I'm like, he's going to remove this, He's going to have to, you know, puncture a hole in it. At first, it's going to squirt. Don't stand directly over the table. It is a bad idea because they're pressurized. Didn't listen. The doctor went to cut it open, it squirted. It went not only up and burnt onto the ceiling light, but went into the doctor's mouth. The doctor's mouth. He ran out in the hallway. He vomited right outside the door, and then another employee slipped in his puke.
Speaker 2: Oh oh gosh, I mean they smell like I can't there there. It's putrid. Yeah, basically, and it's that like doctor pimple Popper, white crap. It's it's so bad.
Speaker 4: I love watching that. My husband hates it. He thinks it's gross, but I'm like, wait. On a side note, there are even diagnosis codes for people who are chronic pickers. So people are always picking somebody else's back or picking their own, you know ingrown hailars or blackheads or whatever. There's even a diagnosis code for you, just so if you're a chronic picker and you tell the doctor that they're going to label you in your chart, just saying.
Speaker 2: Stop it, you'll get MRSA.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So here are some odd and unusual healthcare incidents. And these are uber interesting and a little bit like Cuckoo and Waco and off the wall. So the Toxic Lady.
Speaker 2: This one is bananas.
Speaker 4: Her name was Gloria Ramirez. This is a true story. It's an OSHA documented case. Happened in nineteen ninety four. She was admitted with late stage cervical cancer and she became known as the Toxic Lady because after multiple staff phil ill that were taking care of her, they had symptoms like fainting, shortness of bread, muscle spasms. Investigators later zed of course this was not factual. It was theory only. But the patient had been taking dmso, which that's another thing we should talk about sometime, which is a quote unquote painkiller could have been converted into a toxic compound during her er visit and caused everybody else around her to fall ill.
Speaker 2: So wild this is a picture. I don't know if they re enacted this or if this was like some realness, but a bunch of people had the same picture, so I'm actually wondering if it was kind of real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's it's very interesting that they say that, you know, and they theorized what it was. Obviously they didn't do a whole lot of further investigation, which kind of like the corner to right where you're supposed to do lots of lab drawers, you're supposed to look at the organs, you're supposed to rule out infectious disease of any kind and all kinds of things. Obviously that wasn't done. We've made leaps and bounds since then. So one of the things I also want to say about toxicity and any time that we had to schedule a patient for a thyroid ablation, yea thyroid ablationans use nuclear radiated medicine, right, Yes, So you are supposed to tell family members or anybody sharing the household. Don't share utensils, don't share the same soap, washcloths, whatever. Don't share the same plates, use paper plates, use plastic silverware, don't use the same bathroom, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 2: We had to send my kids away. My dad was flabbergast, Yeah, because my grandma went through the same thing, and he goes, they did this in the hospital. For what's happening. You've got little kids at home, And we were worried because one hundred percent they just kind of acted so nonchalant about it. So we did. We made the decision to send all of them away, except my oldest because she had already had a removal and so she was less likely to be affected in the tyro.
Speaker 4: Think about it in the aspect though, of you are toxic to your family members because you're irradiated, all right, you're.
Speaker 2: And I was stuck in my room, yeah for three weeks.
Speaker 4: And think about like, if you have a lazy physician or lazy nursing staff or medical assistant staff or whatever who does not inform a patient that these are the things that you need to be aware of, and your urine's going to be a different color and all of these things. Imagine how many people would expose their family members because they were never told and the patient never looked it up well.
Speaker 2: And the big thing is is you feel you feel like you're dying when this is going on right, Not because of the radiation and stuff. I mean, I think that plays a part, but they have you on this weird diet and you don't have any thyroid hormone for weeks and weeks before, so you just feel like death. And so there were times I remember waking up and being like is it another day? And it would be a different day than I thought that it was, and like people would forget to feed me. I was in this room by myself, and you can't go do anything for yourself. You're so dependent.
Speaker 4: It's the worst one hundred percent. But that's the dangers of using medication like that on patients. And it's not just like thyroid stuff. There are different nuclear medicine tests that you do where you're supposed to tell patients you got to drink a lot of water to flush this out, and you know, even GI studies and stuff that use heavy metals and toxic agents, and you're supposed to tell the patients, hey, like bury them. Okay, if you have the barium swallow in a patient, you're supposed to tell them to flood their bodies with water because if you don't, not only as a metal compound, right, but it hardens like cement in your system. So if you're doing a study on somebody's bowels or whatever and they don't drink water and they're not excreting it, you're going to have a whole new set of problems.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's weird to me that they don't do it at the hospital still, because think of this, you have to get home somehow, right, So I was right next to my husband like in the car.
Speaker 4: And vation suit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I thought about that. When I got home, I was like, oh my gosh, like this is not good. My dad was just beside right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And that and that makes no sense when when you think about all the things that you have to tell a patient to be careful of and mindful of, right, and then they let you go and they're like you're sitting in a wheelchair. They're willing you out of the hospital, you get in your own car next to whoever's driving you, and you go home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems stupid to me. Literally, at least they should, I mean at bare minimum, you know, get you how to get home in a safer situation, you would think.
Speaker 4: So this next one, I got a huge chuckle out of this. This is the surgical laser and flatulence exposed.
Speaker 2: Money, I got, I got, I got you Look at this.
Speaker 4: So she has a picture on the screen of a man with flames shooting out as patudor I had to do it.
Speaker 2: It was so funny. But there's a real picture. Look at this shit.
Speaker 4: Yes, and literally there's flames coming out of a person on the operating table.
Speaker 2: My question is how bad was his breath?
Speaker 4: A hundred percent? And so this is an extraordinary and unsettling accident that happened. A patients intestinal gas ignited during laser surgery in Tokyo, Japan, setting her surgical drape on fire and causing significant burns. So this is really what we're talking about, is the picture on the screen. The only combustible source was the patient's flatulence interacting with the labor laser. So, oh my gosh, I don't maybe like for me, like, don't eat garlic before you go.
Speaker 2: Well, I was thinking too on this one. I bet somebody put masoline on this person's face, like on their mouth, because there's no reason why you should orally start on fire like your butt. Okay, yeah, but you don't have methane come out your mouth, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So this is this is like a rare hopefully this has only happened once in the history of recording things. I don't know. I it's supposedly rare.
Speaker 2: So weird. Yeah, I was like, what I would.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've had some people that have had some lethal gas before, but I've never heard catch on fire.
Speaker 2: And the next one, Janet, Yeah, this it's crazy. Number one, I have to say this, what the hell is going on in Russia? Just that not because one there's more. There's at least two that I found, and I have questions.
Speaker 4: But you know, there are so many questions. And I want to give a little adage that my parents used to tell us when we were little about this as well. So this next one is tree growing inside a lung. And so during a surgical biopsy in Russia, surgeons discovered a tiny fur tree branch bananas growing in a man's lung. It apparently sprouted from an inhaled seed, so beforehand he was having intense chest pain, but there was no initial hint that there was a growth inside, and they didn't know what was going on until they did an X ray.
Speaker 2: That is bananas. This is like. But the thing is is I found more than one. Here is the actual lung. You guys, this is so crazy.
Speaker 4: So so she has on the screen a picture of the person's lung and there is a tree growing inside.
Speaker 2: Crazy. But then I was like, and this is like big. And then I was like, wait a minute, there's more than one incident of this. That was what really got me. Oh, I hope I put it in here, but I might have missed it. I'll keep flicking. But I couldn't believe that there would be And again, guess what, guys, Russian, what is happening?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent? And it's it's bizarre. But when we were little, anytime we would too like bubblegum or something, we used to swallow it, right, because you do dumb things as a kid. And my parents and grandparents always used to say, don't swallow that, because a tree will grow in your stomach. Well, it wasn't until adulthood and recently that I even discovered that trees have anything to do with gum in the first place. They really do. So there's some kind of pulp from the tree that they use in chewing gum.
Speaker 2: I guess I didn't put it in here. We'll find it eventually. But I did have another older guy again in Russia, which is just bananas to me. I can't I don't know, I can't imagine, like and and how come it's only happening in Russia. What's up with those Russian trees?
Speaker 4: And would it be my first thought as a healthcare provider to think that someone had a tree in their lungs?
Speaker 2: Probably not, no kidding.
Speaker 4: Although vegetation can grow, they call it vegetation on heart valves and things like that. And it literally looks like microgreens growing on weird and stuff, which is very strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least it's not a real freaking tree. That's bananas.
Speaker 4: So this next one, Oh my word, how this facility is still operating. This is in Rhode Island. Wrong sided brain surgery not once, but three times. This occurred where they mistakenly operated on the wrong side of the brain three times in a year.
Speaker 2: That's weird. This is why now they have to write on us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just going to say that they have to mark the site now. Well, it used to be somebody at the hospital would mark the site. Now they ask patients to mark which arm or leg or whatever they're having done. And the reason for that is because left and right is hard, because they found that even when staff were marking the patients, they were still marking the wrong side because they don't know the difference.
Speaker 2: We don't know they're left and right.
Speaker 4: Just you know, I don't know. So of course this is also subject to like massive fines for doing that because.
Speaker 2: A hundred and look at his face. No it's not the same time.
Speaker 4: And not to mention that the families would have the hell of a lawsuit on their hands.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, because when we get to a different one, I'll talk about my situation. Not always do you get a lawsuit, because sometimes they get out of.
Speaker 4: It, true words. So the next one is and this this happens more than people even want to know. Man was operated on without anesthesia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have to tell you I have a story for this one.
Speaker 5: I had twilight twilight sleep on something, and I woke up and they thought I wasn't really awake, because people do wake up and they're not really awake.
Speaker 2: They're just out of their mind and sleep talking sometimes. But then the guy was like, put her back to sleep. Well, I'm a rapid metabolizer. This is so, and it's rough in life if you have this. So drugs that would normally last four hours, say in your system or something, they last half that on me, like even light a king for like my teeth. This is how I found out that it was real because people were like, you just think that your medicine's gone or whatever, because I mean especially pain meds when I hurt my back and it was horrible, but I kept telling them like no, no, and so the novacane whatever light acane in my mouth. They finally figured it out. And I only have a forty five minute window for them to do dental work before they have to do it again more shots. So I woke up and I said, and he goes, oh, we'll put her back, but she's probably just talking in her sleep or whatever, and I said, no, you were fishing in Alaska and he put me back, and when I rewoke up, I remembered it. But I had such a crisis when that happened. I guess my blood pressure went great. I mean, my mom said I almost died, like like they had to come and get her like I could. I'm sure it was shock, I mean.
Speaker 4: And that's because anytime they put you under anesthetic, it's supposed to slow your heart rate, slow your blood pressure, all of that stuff, and make your body relax and calm. And so when you come out of sedation like that, especially unexpectedly, oh that's a problem.
Speaker 2: I went crazy. And so this was just a photo somebody drew and we're not in any rush anymore, just letting you know. I don't know if you saw that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so and then this is the real This happened in two thousand and six. His name was Sherman Sizemore. He got the paralytic drugs but no anesthesia before the surgery, so he endured sixteen minutes, fully conscious but unable to speak or move or any give you a paralytic yeah, yeah, before the surgeons realized their mistake.
Speaker 2: And I want to say, he looks so nice. Look at how nice this man looks and I'll let Janet finish what happen to him.
Speaker 4: So this poor man because of that, and because it was so traumatizing, because he felt literally every cut and everything that they did inside of his body. Which if you've ever cut yourself on anything like a piece of paper or whatever, you know what that feels like. But cut, raw tissue, burning, rall tissue, clamping rall tissue. That is a whole other level. And so because of the pain and mental anguish that he went through during this, he actually ended up taking his own life because of the trauma and the flashbacks that he was having.
Speaker 2: He looks so sweet and happy. He looks like the nicest And there are people like my husband. If that happened to my husband, minus the pain and all that, I think it would do real severe damage because he doesn't do blood. He doesn't do like if you can see all that stuff and you aren't prepared and you're not that kind of human being. Yeah, some people don't handle it well URSA.
Speaker 4: And you know, there are people that have a hard time with anesthetic anyway, whether it's rapid metabolism or they haven't gotten enough anesthetic to put them under, or you know, whatever the case may be. There are a lot of people that will tell you they want conscious sedation. They don't want to be fully put to sleep because of the problems that they have with it. And I would prefer to watch. I have watched multiple surgeries or procedures knock me out, hail, now what I want to know what's going on? So and I want to hear what they're saying.
Speaker 2: And she's counting the sponges.
Speaker 4: You guys don't know one hundred persons.
Speaker 2: Like you missed one because we're going to get there.
Speaker 4: So this one goes along with like the wrong sided brain surgery. It's amputation of the wrong leg or limb.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so if you needed one side amputated, Oh my gosh, now he's not going to have any legs.
Speaker 4: So Willie King was scheduled for the amputation of his right leg, but the surgeons removed the left leg instead, even after the nurses were like, doctor, you're doing the wrong leg.
Speaker 2: I think I would have stepped. I would have literally physically put myself between him and that patient until.
Speaker 4: Oh I would have too. And of course the doctor didn't listen to the nurse once again because it happens. So the hospital, of course, negligence. They settled out of court for for over a million dollars, but not even because he needed the other leg amputated. He had both legs amputated.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's not worth just a million. Like people are like, oh he got money. I'm sorry. Hello. First of all, the lawyer's going to take their cut. He probably got seven hundred thousand dollars to live the rest of his life like with nothing.
Speaker 4: Right, And you have to have different devices, especially if you drive a car. You have to have driver assistance in your car. You have to have you know, presthenic limbs made or whatever. You have all kinds of considerations, a different kind of baththub, literally the whole nine yards. Your life changes, and that money would be gone so fast.
Speaker 2: My allergies are killing me, you guys, so don't make fun of me. Scratching, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: So the next one is a common thing, and it is operating tools left inside or causing disfigurement of a patient.
Speaker 2: Now this one maybe so right. These scissors are fairly small. Yeah, and hell when we get to not that one hold up the spreader.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so anytime they do a surgery or whatever. You always are mandated to do account to make sure all your equipment is counted. For if you use surgical sponges, which is basically like I don't know, like cloths that they use to soak up the blood or whatever, they have to count literally everything. I have seen some crazy shit that was left inside of so a woman woke up after thy surgery to find that she had a severe disfigurement from a surgical fire. And another case, the patient had a pair of twenty centimeter forceps mistaken lee left insider. We're requiring another surgery to move it, to remove it along with part of her small intestine because the small intestine was punctured.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, and I sense I couldn't find disfigurement. We'll probably do. This is purposeful disfigurement, right, Like I had to throw these in here because I want to show people like, Okay, there's disfigurement from medical negligence, but there's some of this going on in me and Janet might talk about this someday, because look, there.
Speaker 4: Are some very very foul disfigurements that happen from plastic surgery. They've actually done some shows about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are like the stars and they have lots of money, so why do they not look that good? So remember that people, when you are doing things you're not famous rich. Yeah, be careful.
Speaker 4: He looks he's worse now and he looks crazy now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was the beginning, I think. And then this one. Hello, people, stop botoxing your eyebrows and using he's got threads in you can see him. But look, you can do a little bit. But this kind of look, this grinch look, is not good on anyone. I'm sorry, I don't care. How did your eyes are? Stop it? And this is a man, but yeah, he don't look like a man anymore. And I don't think he's transitioning that I know of, I don't know. But very strange. Yeah, strange. So there's that.
Speaker 4: It's very crazy. So the next one is dosing mix up. Oh my god, this literally happens all the time. You should learn this in school. Right, route, right, dose, right, you know the whole right. And so a Florida photographer actually died after being inject did with a preservative instead of the anesthesia because the wrong unmarked bile was used.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Well, and to the Yeah. To the point of this, I had a drug allergy to just the glue that they you know use in medical stuff now super glue for medical and it was everywhere. It was all over my it was everywhere. I even listed the girl even listed the ingredients one by one by one, because we really didn't know what caused it, right like, so we put them all and in parentheses surgical glue, right. So he decided that he knew better than that, even though I had to be on prednizone. This was a severe allergy, and he puts it in my.
Speaker 4: Back surgery even though it was on your chart as a no.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, And it gave me a severe secondary infection. And when I say severe, I almost died. I had osteomyelitis in my spinal cord and I had to be on a pick line for almost four months, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. And it also gave me you know, other problems on top of it. And it failed my surgery because it put all this pressure because there was twelve hundred ccs of fluid in my back right and I kept trying to tell him, like there is something in my back, and he kept telling me it was scar tissue. And it's not like I didn't say on the alarm bag for antibiotic, like I did all that right, But since antibiotic or not antibiotics, infections happen, and you signed the paper saying an infection could happen, which means from like surgical stuff, like if they didn't sterilize something. This was complete negligence on his part. It was actual knowledgeable negligence. No one would take my case and it doesn't matter that he ruined my life and gave me failed back syndrome, which is one of the worst things you can have period.
Speaker 4: One hund and like in this this first case where they gave them a preservative instead of anesthesia. I want people to know this, especially because I worked in a facility where I was over the Vaccines for Children program. A lot of vaccinations that you get come with a vile separate from the drug like the like the drug, it comes in a little vial and it looks like either powder or it comes in like a tablet form, and these other vials that come along with it is a dilutant aka preservative that you have to pull out and inject into the vial. That has the powder or the pill form, and so have there been incidents where somebody thought they mixed that they and they didn't, and they gave somebody just that. Yes, have there been numerous cases where people have used pre drawn syringes of stuff which they're not labeled, they don't know what it is. They gave it to patients. Patients died or had a reaction medications that look or sound similar, or giving medications in a place that you're not supposed to give it, like you're giving it somebody and you're muscular and it's supposed to be subcutaneous under the skin or whatever. There have been thousands and thousands of cases where patients were knowingly given medications or injected with substances that they knew would kill them because.
Speaker 2: Oh, and they do till the patients. They do this weird stuff where finally they got smart, but they would put this where you can override the medication in our little box that we can get in and for nick you they used to put the hepern dose for adults and so many babies like it killed them, And I'm like, why would you even put that like that should be only overridden by two people like this should not ever be allowed. And there's so many things like, okay, the preservative thing that you mentioned, why don't they come in a double pack where you've got that already, like in a three C C syringe or whatever, you know, with with what you need in there. You know what I'm saying, Like, let's not how do multi dose fials? Yeah, it just asks for a problem.
Speaker 4: You're just asking and it happens all the time, even with like not so much anymore since you have machinery that will figure out drip rates and things like that, But there are certain medications where the doctor or a physician assistant whatever has to manually calculate a dosage on a certain medication and human error math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come it in or not committed heparin, insulin and what was the other cartism And those are the three that you're just asking for it. And they will even put the dosage rate on the back. But then it changes, right if they start doing PVCs or whatever, which right you have to adjust. And you know, I just think they need to get to the point where I haven't worked in cardio for a while, so maybe they have now where there's two people to change it, I think, But that happens.
Speaker 4: That kind of stuff literally happens more than people want to think about. And doctors do overdose children with antibiotics and things like that that are liquid antibiotics when they're figuring the dosage rate. So just to be weary of that. So this next one, this is another instance where I said there are a lot of cases. My home state was one of them where there was a nurse that was, oh, there was a documentary about because they were killing patients. So this is a person that had bleach injected during dialysis at the DaVita Clinic in two thousand and eight, a nurse admitted to drawing bleach with a syringe and injecting it into a patient's dialysis lines.
Speaker 2: So that is so crazy.
Speaker 4: Some patients coded and died. Investigators later confirmed bleach exposure via advanced testing and led to murder charges for this lady and so giving patients like de jockson succeinal coaling. There was a nurse that went to prison for killing babies with sexcinal coaling.
Speaker 2: Which heart paralyzes them. You guys, it's kind of a horrible death.
Speaker 4: Heart medications, diabetes drugs, there's all kinds of nurses that there's documentaries about, Like I love the show that you have up there, it's called Snapped, But there's a lot of documentaries about nursing staff or medical assistant staff or whatever where they purposely killed patients.
Speaker 2: Well, and dialysis is so bad anyway, it's the number one place where they have the most codes, even more than the er. I mean, what the hell is she doing? But obviously, I mean she kind of got into it afterward.
Speaker 4: But obviously, and it was more than one death, yes, the one person than ch Keld.
Speaker 2: So there you go. How weird?
Speaker 4: So this this next one is crazy to me. It's an academic lab fire. Research assistant Sherry Saying Gi died after being severely burned at a UCLA chemistry lab when a syringe broke while transferring a pyrophoric reagent. Her clothing caught fire. She wasn't wearing a protective lab coat. The case resulted in criminal charges and unpresented unprecedented outcome and academic lab safety.
Speaker 2: Who did they put the charges on.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming probably the university or maybe her because she wasn't wearing her lab coat. So even if you are a medical instructor, which I was. You have strict guideline to follow in the lab. You have to wear a lab coat, you have to wear specific kind of shoes, you have to like all these safety protocols. You have to know every piece of lab equipment. You have to know all of the what are they called materials safety data sheets on every thing in your laboratory, and you have to make sure all of your students know that. And so that was negligence, not just on the school's part, but if she was a lab assistant, they should have had somebody overseeing her.
Speaker 2: That's probably sure. I bet she was alone. I bet that's how they got charged. Yes, because okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so poor girl.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it is kind of her fault, like it says, you know, there was this whole issue with the transfer. But I mean I feel bad for the family for sure. If she's only if she's only an assistant, then you have to have somebody with you.
Speaker 4: So yep, so that's crazy. And she has a picture on the screen of Sherry and of the syringe and stuff that that broke while she was doing that. So there's some first hand stories on like Reddit forums and things like that where they talk about either nurses get personal testimony or there's people that talk about stories that they heard. So there was a psych patient that managed to remove his eyeball using a spoon from his pudding.
Speaker 2: Those spoons, you guys. This is the guy that actually removed his own. I don't know if you can see it, but it's probably on the other side. But then there was a story that accompanied, but this one was even worse. Man this guy got cute and removed his roommate's eyeball.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, that would be just fun. And that's a lot of facilities won't give you regular silverware in a psych unit, especially as we don't. They do know plastic.
Speaker 2: All plastic, and we do. I count on our plastic silverware.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent because you can also use those to make shanks and stuff harmers.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's the worst part is the more the self harmers than the other people harmers. But I guess this guy really hated his roommates, So.
Speaker 4: Depend on who I was rooming with if I wanted to remove their eye with a pudding spoon.
Speaker 2: I know, Louise.
Speaker 4: Okay, So another one, this lady literally gags up a giant red hair.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find anything on the hair.
Speaker 4: Scrunched, swallowed a scrunchy, had it stuck in her throat for two days and was almost worked up for cancer evaluation. Now, I will tell you I have seen some things that people got stuck in their throat or whatever. Like they went to swallow meat, they got webbing in their throat. It gets stuck, so they're stuck with meat in their throat. We've removed beads and all kinds of things, not just from the throat, but from the nose, from the ears, roaches, beads, paper clips, batteries.
Speaker 2: They swallow batteries to go to the hospital often where I work, if they can get their hands on them. Now they're not supposed to be able to. But you know the pult soxes. This nurse I was working with and I said, where'd the pult socks go? And he's like, uh oh, And we both knew this one girl was. She was always trying to do something to go to the hospital. Sure enough, the batteries were gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't understand that because batteries they're insides are so corrosive.
Speaker 2: So that she was okay. But I was like, oh, with.
Speaker 4: The bile and the stomach acids and stuff like that that could break that open and you could literally die so quickly.
Speaker 2: Well that's yeah, that was her. She was working on that. But so, I mean, she wasn't in a good place.
Speaker 4: These next ones are also actual OSHA things that have happened, and literal real life diagnosis codes of things that happen. So sucked into a jet engine. Now here's the kicker. It says subsequent encounter. It means it's not your first rodeo with getting sucked into a jet engine, so it's happened more than once.
Speaker 2: So and they usually die. But I mean, look at that thing. Yeah, in comparison to him, But this guy he survived.
Speaker 4: Man, this guy, That's why I said this particular diagnosis code says subsequent encounter, which means that he's been sucked into a jet engine more than once.
Speaker 2: I have to tell this little guy story. He actually was smart enough not to panic during the time that he got sucked in and he because he was fixing it. He knew how to take it apart, and he unwired the power whatever to it, and they were taking off like he was gonna be up in the air soon he was like ornament. Yeah, so he's in there and trying to get it all like undone, and he got it undone enough for it to throw the code to the pilot. The pilot stopped, so thank heavens because he made it. Because most people, well, it is not that good of a day, no, And this is a recreation of what happens. So they made a dummy full of gelatine and stuff that is similar.
Speaker 4: To yeah, because most people that have that don't happen. Mm hm sou. The next one is contact with the spacecraft.
Speaker 2: Oh, this one I was so here is one of space debris falling from the sky.
Speaker 4: So this is exposure to forces of nature from spacecraft collision. Extremely rare, but technically they say it's possible for NASA or SpaceX crew or if you're filming a fake moon landing, that would also apply.
Speaker 2: Well, and I also had to check this one in here. And I don't know if everybody knows that I'm you know, Howard Hughes raised And one time, can you imagine just being in your house, he crashed into a Beverly Hills home, damaging the house. And when I say damaging it, like cut it in half and destroyed the aircraft and hurt himself. But the lady, they were in their bathroom and it took out the bathroom too, and I just can't and it started a fire and everything it was wild like this is part of the fire. And he d I will say this for Howard Hughes. He was one tough old bird because he got out and managed to drag himself and then somebody saved him after that. But yeah, don't crash into people's houses. Look at the Chimney's the only thing left right there.
Speaker 4: That's crazy to me. So we also have walked into a lamp post. Lot's of thing. Jokes on you, but I guess stranger things have happened that people walk into a lamp post, probably more so nowadays because people absolutely do not have any situational awareness or pay attention to where they're going. But there's a code for that. This next one just crazy to me. Struck by a turtle.
Speaker 2: So this guy clearly didn't learn his lesson. He's still holding the turtle.
Speaker 4: Up with a snapping turtle. It's a bad idea. And so this is this.
Speaker 2: One was struck And this one made me laugh more.
Speaker 4: This turtle actually went through somebody's windshield, which is crazy to me. And so, uh, this is an initial encounter. Uh, they do have subsequent encounters as well. In case you're one of those people that got hit by a turtle more than once.
Speaker 2: Stan't learn your lesson. This is a turtle bite. Don't mess with turtles they I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, especially a snapping turtle, because it it will literally snap your digits off. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, accident while knitting or crocheting.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a kid and that stepped on it.
Speaker 4: Now that I could understand. But this one and it says, yeah that that would be god awful. It went went through this person's hand. But it said it's more, it says activity knitting and crocheting often happens to occupational therapists, textile workers or costume makers.
Speaker 2: Really occupational therapists. And I want have thought that's weird.
Speaker 4: So unless they're trying to teach somebody like canned dexterity, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm there, bam why that would be a.
Speaker 4: Thing, but but it exists. Now that's when this one is batshit on the woo woo burns from water skis on fire.
Speaker 2: I caught it. Look at this. There's even the code.
Speaker 4: And when I when I first saw this, I was like, burned due to water skis on fire. And I'm like, and of course it says initial encounter, so it could happen to you more than once, and then you'll have as a subsequent So I wasn't. I wasn't thinking about like stunt people or you know, pyrotechnic shows or something like that. I was just thinking about a regular person water skiing, and i'making and like, your skis catch on fire on water. I couldn't understand you were maybe I get it now, hit by a falling coconut?
Speaker 2: This one, I mean, it happens because there's a whole sign for it and everything.
Speaker 4: So this is crazy. It says it actually said struck by falling object other specified and so I guess this is very common for agricultural workers, whether it's coconuts or tree fruit or.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 4: But it says that they are very prone, especially with coconuts, to traumatic brain injuries.
Speaker 2: Which makes sense. I mean, if it hits it just in the right spot, yeah.
Speaker 4: So how why are you really in the hospital? I got hit with a coconut, Like, are people going to be like what, like God doesn't like you? It really happened. This one is crazy to me. Trapped in an industrial dishwasher.
Speaker 2: So I couldn't find, of course the trapped person part, but I will say this, they also explode, apparently, because there was all this articles about like bosh and you know, I hate to put you out there, but this was there about these big giant industrial dishwashers exploding.
Speaker 4: Well more things that concern me highly because of all the tech that they put inside all the appliances now everything, yes, and all the you know, the voice stuff or the music stuff, the cameras, the TVs, like literally everything, And I'm like, that's just asking for a problem to go wrong with me. So I don't know, but this is a contact with any kind of powered kitchen appliance, whether you run your hand down the garbage disposal, if you're stuck in a dishwasher. It says that this has happened to people that are dishwashers in hospitals or restaurants and they wind up with crush injuries and burns.
Speaker 2: That's why they didn't take a picture.
Speaker 4: What probably now this this next one I've actually seen. I saw video of this and I about threw up. This was entered by an orca at work, And again it says initial encounter. So if you were dumb enough to do it twice, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Happy he didn't do it. This guy, the.
Speaker 4: Girl that I saw the other day, did not either, because not only did it tear her arm off, but then it threw her up in the air like a rag doll and went up and just ate her.
Speaker 2: And I'll say this, Look, these things are supposed to be in the wild, and as much as I loved seeing shamou when I was young, I don't think that it's a good idea for them to be doing.
Speaker 4: This, especially and they had to make I guess, special laws about the orcas because orcas are generally very agitated and their predatory in nature. And so because of the video that I saw, which was so highly.
Speaker 2: Deserve guy, I think it was this guy.
Speaker 4: They have made like all kinds of laws and regulations and safety protocols and whatever whenever you're working with the animals, But you would not get me working with an orca killer whales. People don't know what it is, just.
Speaker 2: The normal, not just orcas. But when we went to Alaska, we went out and saw the whales and got pretty close on a small boat. They are so big, I mean, I can't imagine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's that would not mean my dream job in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: No, So this next one, because I grew up in the Midwest, this happened all the time. So it was sucked into a grain bin or grain bin engulfment.
Speaker 2: Of course, there's no real pictures of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they're yeah, no, because they're crushed completely. When when they come out, they're usually inside the grain bin to clean them out or to do some kind of maintenance internally, and so the grain inside the bin becomes like quicksand and so suffocates them and crushes them within a very short period time.
Speaker 2: And of course that would be a sucky dath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be and it would be awful.
Speaker 2: And there was one more accident with grain there he ran into the grain thing. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So any anything happened to do with contact with agricultural machinery. And again it says initial encounter. If you drowned in a grain bin, you're only gonna make Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The next one is contact with a chainsaw.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to put a disclaimer real quick. These are graphic, and I don't mean a tiny bit graphic. These. If you have a week's stomach, don't watch right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so this is either with the chainsaw or powered hand tools. And I will tell you that we did a lot of these, not just from chain cells, but weed eaters and hedge tremmers.
Speaker 2: Frozen meat and people cutting it with gigantic butcher knives. I never have understood, but whatever, and those saw ones that anyway.
Speaker 4: So we've had a lot of these. So this is a person that obviously had a de deep laceration from a chainsaw and it split them open pretty wide, and it's worse.
Speaker 2: So I'm just warning people.
Speaker 4: I don't mind this stuff. I'd rather see this than see Orca tearing somebody apart. Yeah, that one, that one is really bad. So this one got somebody right across the thigh and literally went all the way through looks like down to the every piece.
Speaker 2: And this one is bananas. He's lucky to be alive.
Speaker 4: And this guy got it in his abdomen uh and so his organs are oup and out.
Speaker 2: So if this happens to you, guys. I mean, he did the best he could. But if you have a plastic bag, the best thing you can do is wrap that in plastic wrapper plastic bag to keep the moisture in and get your ass to a hospital.
Speaker 4: Well look look at his side. Oh add some kind of other injury to the other side as well.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: So that, like I said, these are common, uh weed eaters. We saw a lot of waed eater accidents where people are trying to weat eat and they hit like a chain link fence or something and it kicked back and literally looked like they went through a cheese shredder.
Speaker 2: Terrible. So you're lucky if you make it on the leg. To you, guys, that first picture that we showed this one, they're showing you this because they're showing you how he almost died.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you got a lot of vascularity all through your limbs and so yipes. So this next one just kicks me again, just like the turtle, only this time it's bitten by a squirrel.
Speaker 2: The squirrel. Okay, you guys, they may be cute, I'm going to preface that also, these are disgusting and don't mess with squirrels because they apparently bite back. Look at this shit necratizing dash it from a tiny squirrel bite on the foot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so it said it's more common for park rangers or wildlife free hab workers or hospital groundskeepers. I don't know anybody that's been bitten by a squirrel, but I will tell you I had a patient that came in one time and he was so shredded up, and I'm like, what, and the heck happened to you? Him and his friends were smoking some herb and drinking lots of alcoholic beverages. And this guy thought it would be cute to play with a raccoon. He just wanted to pet it. And this raccoons are very vicious and over mean, especially babies near And he had to go through so many rabies you know, vaccine.
Speaker 2: Yep, and again horribly infected everything.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent because they eat garbage, so they've got all kinds of gook and their mouths and whatever.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, don't don't the squirrels or raccoons or you know what's a bad one. Possums. A possum, they're like supposed to be really mean.
Speaker 4: I guess, yeah, I wouldn't do that either, So uh, yes, accident while playing a brass instrument at work.
Speaker 2: I only had one picture and I didn't save it because it was so silly, but it just showed their mouth was really swollen, because I guess you can actually get like like the lip, like a permanent lip problem from this.
Speaker 4: And that's what it said.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what in the world.
Speaker 4: So this is like band teachers, military musicians, or parade performers and they suffer chronic or permanent lip injuries hernias depending on what kind of instrument you're carrying, or even collapsed lungs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy. You're going to collapse your lungs over it. That's a whole other level. And let's see, I'll let you do we have more.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, like the sucked into the jet engine. These are actual OSHA case studies and a young girl named Courtney Edswards, who was a ground handling agent at Montgomery Regional Airport in Alabama, was sucked into the jet engine while assisting with a Pacific aircraft at the gate. Despite multiple safety briefings to stay well clear of the engine, she wound up in it anyway, and they said even though there there was another one in June of twenty twenty three at San Antonio Airport, same thing where ground's crew was intentionally stepped in front of an actively actually the engine wanted to yeah, yeah, and was like ingested upon that and whatever.
Speaker 2: He'd Bobby go, No, well you.
Speaker 4: Would probably I'm assuming you would know because of the spray that would come from that after it you up complete. That would be like somebody in a wood chipper, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's not a And for asking where Bobby went, I threw this one in here because I knew we were coming close to an end. But I knew some people that actually my daughter took care of that survived this. And these people were on construction sites. This man did survive, and they were buried alive. So when I say where did Bobby go, that's literally how they found him. They're supposed to always have two of them. I guess if they're down in the ground and the equipment comes and somebody said, hey, where's your partner. He's a sucky partner, and he's like uh, and they're like, oh my gosh, and they hurried and dug him up, but he had a complete and total brain injury that was unrecoverable. I mean, he lived, but.
Speaker 4: I can imagine, I can imagine like how horrific that would be that those kind of things happened. But like anybody that's like really into looking into these creepy type things, like, you can get OSHA records. OSHA has a ton of records on literally all all workplace safety stuff and all the weird things that have happened. And even the National Transportation Safety Board. You can get information from there as well, where they have like all kinds of documented incidents with stuff.
Speaker 2: So I thought this one was just kind of wild and funny. A UK electrical store worker was instructed to repair broken video camera with super glue. He reattached it and then while he was testing it, he glued it to his eye.
Speaker 4: Oh well that, you know, that's kind of goes along with the one where people were gluing themselves with like surgical glue and stuff like that. I've seen some strange things and navel even the fourn object stuff, which we may have to like, yes, yes we go over for object things.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I've seen some stuff.
Speaker 2: And the last one that was really common with workplace injury. This one's weird. And my daughter took care of three guys because this home was just for people that have been work on the job like and got hurt. Is lightning strikes to a ladder, isn't that bananas? And it like electrocutes them, And I mean, could you just imagine mining your own business. There's no that's so random, Like people work in the rain all the time, you know, but my husband works in a mine and he does tell me that when when there's a lightning storm. I mean, of course that could have been a random strike and not a lightning storm. But they shut down whipment for a while like period.
Speaker 4: At which they should too, especially with any kind of mining stuff like that or whatever, because it's electrical equipment and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know what you're gonna hit And that's wild. Yeah, we'll do we'll do a couple more on these kind of disasters. So maybe for an Object's next might be a fun one because we'll fun fun for us. Sorry, guys, situation, I bring you guys gross pictures and then itch all the whole time because apparently Utah is trying to kill me right now, not.
Speaker 4: We're not.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm like, that's enough of that. Stop. And it's not like I've been taking a whole bunch of stuff. It's just not going to help right now. But yeah, I'm here still, I'm making it right, and uh it's weird. Yeah, yeah, we're here. You know, idea.
Speaker 4: Idea is a unique medical case. Stu anomally.
Speaker 2: I'm an anomaly all by myself, and that's okay because I always just say you laugh or you cry. But two things. One thing is my parents only made one of me. That's a good thing because I don't know. I love him dearly, but there's some shit wrong here, and you know, what do you do? And none of my other half siblings are like me, like they were pretty darn healthy honestly, right, So it's just me. But the second thing is is from my dad, and he was a type one diabetic his whole life, since he was about seven eight years old, and back then that was a really bad diagnosis. They basically thought you would die before you're twenty because the insulin was bad, and then he ended up living and he was like, shit, I didn't take care of any of it because I thought I was gonna die so I can't see and neuropathy and all these problems. Right. But he used to say, beats the hell out of the alternative, right, And I'm like, what's that And he's like, well, if you're not living, you're dying.
Speaker 4: True words. So the good thing is that even though you've been through all of these crazy things and how all of these life threatening and crazy experiences, is that each thing that we go through always makes us stronger and makes us a better warrior for God. So that is true.
Speaker 2: I really tough.
Speaker 4: He's like, he's like this girl, she's gonna be like our goliath. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always tell the doctors because the doctor one doctor almost cried once. And not that I'm not sad about things that have happened, but like, once you make it through it as a nurse, I think you're like it's a learning experience or joke or like I never am like, oh and I had cancer for me, I'm just like, yeah, that shit happened. But that was like ben, you know, or my back. My back's a little word that one's hard to ignore. That was annoying. I've had so many problems in my life and that one you can't ignore as right, and it.
Speaker 4: Well knows that's Underson. And you know the thing about like with medical anything, a lot of times doctors love to tell patients it's all on your head, you're imagining thing, or you're not really feeling what you're feeling, you're a drug seeker, you're you know whatever, you're psychotic, whatever they want to say.
Speaker 2: I think it was psychotic. Well pain, yeah.
Speaker 4: Say extensive, extensive pain, and especially what happened with your back, that that should have never happened, number one, because it was clearly on your chart and it was that was malpractice from the get go. But never let somebody tell you that you're not feeling what you're feeling. Trust your gut. And if you don't believe the person that you're saying, if you don't have one hundred percent faith in them, run away one percent.
Speaker 2: And throw a fit, because you know what, they can't deny you medical care. Because when I went in and I was fully infected, and nobody knew because it was all like in my back, but I knew because it was turning purple, and so I told my husband like, but but I've had a baby at home, and I was like, at a level eight pain, and I know what a ten is, like I do not. I do not say anything's a ten but that baby and one kidney stone. Okay, I've been a nine with this back situation, but like it was so bad, I was close to a nine and I was like, I am not leaving. And they try to send me home with keflex and that is not a broad spectrum antibiotic at all. So as a nurse, I knew that, and I threw a fat fit and they were like, well, you're discharged, and I said, I am not leaving, and you know, Thank Heavens, I knew my rights because I said, you're going to have to get the police. Then, because I'm at I'm not controlled in my pain. I'm not okay, I'm sick, you know. So they checked me in a bed for the weekend and waited for my doctor till Monday. Basically, the hospitalists didn't know what to do with me because they're not a surgeon. They're not going to touch you, you know, and they.
Speaker 4: They don't want to assume that liability.
Speaker 2: No no, and no one would help me. And I laid there screaming and writhing in pain, and when he came in, he pushed like the ivy meds, and I said, no, I don't want that. It's not helping. It makes it worse. It goes away in twenty minutes, like I don't. I'm a wrapping metasa. It's just not good to go from a nine, you know, down to a two and then back up again. It's stupid, you know. So I was only taking po meds and he by mouth is what that means, and so he was pushing it. And I see why later because it looked like he did what he did, which was ignored me all weekend, and then I wasn't in pain control and rating it super super high, which it was he when he drained it, I had almost twelve hundred c seas in my back and I have pictures where it is just blue and bulging, like they had to bring an old people like airbed thing for me because I couldn't stand a lay like it was crazy. And I look back at that and I think, would somebody normal have died?
Speaker 4: Yes, one hundred percent, because people need to learn to advocate for themselves and to not throw one hundred percent weight behind what a doctor tells you. If you that little inkling that something is wrong or you don't something or something, then you trust that gut instinct. And if you are in a situation where Heidi was, where it's like you know that they're not doing right, do not be afraid to stand up for yourself.
Speaker 2: You have rights. And same thing with my thyroid cancer. You know, I knew it was cancer. I knew I'd been really sick. And when they found it, they said, well, it's just these lumps, and these happen to everybody, and they do thyroid lumps are normal, like pretty normal, you know, gross and stuff. And I said no, because my daughter had pre cancerous cells and she was only twelve, Like that's really young for all this going on. She she presented at nine for hashimotos and the doctor said, we've never had a kid this young ever. I don't even know. We're learning together. He basically said he didn't know what to do, and I said, okay, that's fine, and we had it on both sides, come to find out later, but we didn't know all that, and so when he took hers out, I had that knowledge and I said, no, you're not going to do a biopsy. You're going to take it out. And he threw the biggest fit I think I've ever seen. This. Doctor told me I was crazy that I was, you know, all this stuff like basically, oh, non compliant. That was the fun one. I was like, I just don't want to do what you want to do. But here's the problem is Hashimoto's thyroid kills. It's the same thing as like lupus. It attacks yourself for people that don't know. So I autoimmune attacked myself from the time I was probably thirteen, because that's around when it happens. I was like thirty seven or no, thirty four when I got this, so I knew my thyroid was dead. I said, take it out. Why do you care. You're not the one that has to be on meds the rest of your life, Like, take it out. My grandma had problems, my other grandma. So I'm like, no, just I don't want to. Just like women with their breasts, they can decide. They let them do it all the time. And so I said, it's a useless organ. No, it's super important. I said, it is if it works, but it's not. But it is not that Yeah, And I don't know what his deal was. So I found an other doctor. Don't be afraid to find another doctor. You guys, I pray. I knew I had been praying. I said, I told him my story and he said, well, I think he was very nice. So he said, I think you're being over zealous, not crazy. He didn't call me crazy. And he said, but you have a lot of knowledge about this and facts, and you're not wrong. It's probably dead, and you know, he was very kind and he said I think you're you're okay though, and I said I think I have cancer and he was like, oh, because they don't like to say that. Listen, you know, And so I said, I won't be surprised to hear from you in a couple of weeks when patho comes back. It's going to be not good. And he was like, well, I don't think you know. He was poo pooing it. And when he called me, the first thing he said is are you by yourself? And I said it's okay. I've known for a long time and he was like, it's stage four, almost tidy. He's like, it's serious, and I was like, well, I told you that, so it's a good thing. We did what we did and didn't open it up into my whole entire body aspiration needle. You know, Yeah, saved my life. But so what I'm saying is, don't look if something's really off and you felt like shit and you just are sick and you don't know what's going on with you and they tell you you have like she said, like crazy problems or fiber myalgia, because that's such a crappy diagnosis. I'm not saying it doesn't accompany things, but.
Speaker 4: That's that's not the great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So don't be afraid to say no, I'm not going to do what you say, like you be that person, because it saved my life at least twice.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, I'm the nicest person you would ever want to meet, and tell you back me into a corner. Yeah, and especially if you're going to stand in front of me and tell me I don't know my own body, I don't know what really feeling like something means or whatever that I'm crazy. Uh, you better look out because I definitely will stick up over myself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and find a doctor that will listen to you like my doctors. Now. He'll tell me all the time like he's funny, he's a redheaded guy. I love him. He said, you know, I got a whole report on you because whenever something happens, and they send him all the time, I'm like, yeah, I know. He's like, you're good, and I'm like, yeah, I'm fine. And he's always like you are one tough lady like and I always tell him like, I'm so grateful. You just listen to me, like he will listen. He'll say, I think that's crazy, but you are such a complicated case that he's like your nurse, I value your opinion. That is a good doctor and you don't have to be a nurse for that. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Most doctors don't care what a nurse thinks, don't care what they have to say, and so imagine what they're level of tolerances for a normal patient, normal does medical background.
Speaker 2: It's sad you guys, hang on out there and don't just let people railroad you, that's for sure. Don't let them bury your live. Yeah that's not funny, but in this context it's funny.
Speaker 4: That's on that. And please as to always keep your fingers and toes inside the ride at all times. Watch out for flying turtles or biting squirrels. Be safe, don't blow yourself up. Don't don't fart around a lighter, just saying that's right.
Speaker 2: Don't see before your surgery.
Speaker 4: Or me garlic, don't do that. So, my darling, thank you again for joining me for another episode. This was fun. I like this one because it was hilarious. So where can the ladies and gents find you at?
Speaker 2: Awesome? Well, thanks again for another one in the books. We've got some fun stuff come in your way. Sounds like we're doing foreign objects here on the next one, because that will be that one will be fun. Yeah, put on your not offended breitches for that situation. I am Heidi love of the Unfiltered Rise. I'm everwhere podcasts are served. I do have my own podcast website now Unfiltered ricepodcast dot com if you want to go there, but it really helps me out. If you go to Spotify and especially Apple for a review, please be kind. I produce my show myself, I edit my show myself, I do all my own booking, and I have no sponsors, So be kind and check me out Miss Jim.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and definitely make sure you leave a five star review because Heidi has an amazing show. She puts in a heck of a lot of work, hardest working podcaster in the game by far, so got to go over there and check her out. So for me, Deplorable Nation podcast on every podcast platform, or you can find the video versions on Spotify or on Rumble and Instagram. Deplorable Janet Twitter at no Janet Kate Now and as always, we love you and thank you ladies and gentlemen for tuning in for another wild, weird but also very wonderful episode. And we'll see you next time for fourn objects and insertions.
Speaker 2: Okay,