Speaker 1: Good Thursday Morning, Kentucky, and it is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty WHAS. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app and just keep in mind that talkback features there if you want to chime in and interact with us. Also, you can listen live at whas dot com. The Crystal Rogers case is going to continue to be a big talking point, not just around here within the state because of the fact that it's it's a it's a local story, but also just because it's now a decade in here as far as just the disappearance with no body. And certainly we'll find out if the family is going to get the justice that they seek as this trial proceeds. But yesterday was the first day of testimony after Tuesday was the jury selection. And essentially what we have here is the prosecution. Their case, of course, is it's just circumstantial. Is this is being called a no body homicide, and they claim that Christal Rodgers was murdered on July third, twenty fifteen at the Hawk family farm, and that how the one of the lawsons, the younger, the son who's also involved in this trial. His father was already sentenced last month. I believe it was, but the Hawke's, the younger Losson and others conspired to kill her and cover up the crime. In the outline of timeline motive emphasizing a strained relationship between Rogers and just the how the Hawk family part of the Again, this is new information to me. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if if it's if it's something that had already been out there or just people assumed it when it comes to just how this this case is played out. But the prosecution alleges that Rosemary how the mother, believed that Rogers was quote unquote beneath the family and had discussed hiring somebody to get rid of Rogers with somebody named Danny Singleton, who is a potential witness, and Singleton reportedly told the mother quote, if you have enough money, you can get anything done. So the defense, who later you know, their time to shine, essentially at least attempt to later on in the day. They argue that the case just lacks physical evidence and relies so much on speculative assumptions, theories and guesses, and what really stood out to me, it's not a shocker it's just, you know, I wouldn't instantly know how to how you would go about defending some of these allegations. But the big gap there whenever there was there was some downtime. I believe up until about there's about a two year window where this had gotten pretty quiet. I mean, it was still something people were interested in, but there just wasn't as much. There wasn't as many developments seemingly in about a couple of years time. And the defense is that they did some big dig if you remember, and the defense is claiming that they were wrong again and still don't know what happened, and they don't have any physical evidence. It's all circumstantial, and this is just you know, it's just just a guess essentially, So no surprise to see that, you know, they're highlighting the fact that there is no body, there's no physical evidence, But there's also evidence on the other side here, meaning the prosecution that for a lot of folks like me, who just again doesn't matter what you think, it matters what you can prove. So just because there's I think plenty of evidence that would indicate that a lot of these folks that have in fact, there's two that are facing trial right now, that's Brooks how and the younger loss and of course Nick Howck and Rosemary Howck are being labeled as unindicted co conspirators. So I think most would assume, and again maybe I'm wrong. I shouldn't speak for anybody but by myself, but the scenario where these people didn't have any involvement in her disappearance and likely murder, the likelihood of that being the case, I think is just very very very very unlikely, to put it mildly, But again, it's it's about what you can prove and the fact that there is no body and there's no physical evidence that that can no point throughout this process be be you know, ignored, And I don't think it's being ignored, but that's a big factor in being able, I think, to actually get a conviction here. But one thing that also stood out to me, and again, what do I know? This to me is certainly worth bringing up, But is it enough for a jury to decide? Well, yeah, that means for sure that these people are guilty of doing what they're charged to doing, and that is that you just turn your phone off for well nearly twenty four hours or right over twenty four hours. That doesn't prove you did anything right. And again, I know proof and just what looks suspicious those are two different things. And what matters is what you can prove. But even in twenty fifteen, like I know, this was ten years ago, but even in twenty fifteen, I can't imagine many people were able to just go without a cell phone for an entire day, especially the people who one had the careers that they that they did, including one who was a law enforcement officer, Nick Halck, to be so active on your phone, as the evidence proves leading up to the alleged date of the murder and the evening in which they, meaning the prosecution accuses this, accuses them of putting this whole thing in motion. I mean, again, it looks insanely fishy, right, But again that doesn't mean that that doesn't prove anything as far as what they're what they're charged with. And again I don't want to sound like I'm defending anybody, but I just had to. When I'm when I'm reading all the details from from yesterday's testimony from both sides, I mean I'm thinking, oh, they got them, they got them. And then I'm reminding myself, well, yeah, this doesn't really prove any think. It's all circumstantial. So we'll see what plays out moving forward. All right, we got an update of trapick and weather coming your way, and I'll i'll share, I'll share what I believe is a warning to folks as far as if you if you have no air conditioning in your vehicle, I can tell you the vehicle that would be the worst vehicle to have when we have conditions like this where it's just hot as you know what, and the humidity's there, it's just disgusting outside.
Speaker 2: That's the best way to describe it. Disgusting. Hopefully gets it's better.
Speaker 1: But anyways, an update on trapping weather's coming up right here, right now on news Radio eight forty whas it is six sixteen here Kentucky. And This Morning News with Niic Coffee on.
Speaker 2: News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: We've got your next update of trapping a weather of course, coming up in about three and a half minutes, and then we'll hit sports with Scott Fitzgerald and this morning. If you have not walked outside your house, no surprise, it's once again very very hot and there's a lot of things in life that I take for granted, probably things I don't even realize that I take for granted. I think that's just life. That's not a fault of mine. I think that's just that's it's human nature. But one thing that I really realize that I take for granted once I no longer have it is comfort control air conditioning in my home, only in my vehicle. And John, have you ever had a vehicle that you just knew, no matter like you just didn't have AC, meaning it didn't have it or it just didn't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the car that I drive now and have driven for a long time, I owed to camera. It randomly lost its air conditioning several years back. And what's weirder than weirder than that is that it just without right without even fixing it. It fixed itself. Oh that sounds very weird. And it's never gone out since.
Speaker 1: Oh, Man, I would just I wouldn't. I wouldn't, I wouldn't ask questions. I would just say thank you God for for looking out for me. So how long did did did you go without it?
Speaker 3: It was in the middle of the summer, like we are right now. I remember it went out while we were driving home from vacation, and then a couple of weeks later, it all of a sudden just you know, sort of working.
Speaker 2: That is magic, isn't it. Yeah? It is.
Speaker 1: So I just assume if you are out and about in the weather we've had around here in Kentucky and in recent days, that if you have your windows down, it's because your AC doesn't work. But maybe there are people that just preferred And trust me, I'm aware, I'm soft compared to others.
Speaker 2: There's others that that just they walk.
Speaker 1: Outside and they're not They're unfazed by how hot it is. And windows certainly can help if you have good airflow. I had a vehicle that not long after I bought.
Speaker 2: It, it was a It was a.
Speaker 1: Poor I learned it was a poor investment, and I think I probably knew it at the time. I just didn't want to didn't want to acknowledge it because I wanted a convertible. I wanted a vehicle where you could put the top down. And uh, it wasn't worth it, and I was very happy to move on from said vehicle.
Speaker 2: But I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Speaker 1: It was charcoal gray and it was a soft top convertible, So it was like a vinyl canvas kind of material that was that was blackish, almost kind of charge similar color, but certainly a different material than the actual car itself. And when the air conditioning went out in that, I realized I may have a vehicle that could be up there as far as the worst kind of vehicle to have. If in fact, it's one hundred degrees the sun is shining, and it's just brutal because it and there's no there's no ac at all, Like it doesn't it's not like it works a little bit.
Speaker 2: It just it doesn't work at all. It's completely shot.
Speaker 1: So I could go windows down, but with that dark vinyl canvas, it's it's just getting baked in the sun. And also with that car, the windows are tiny. I mean think about how small the windows are. I mean, you really don't have a back window in a convertible. It's a two seater, so like the I think the window and I'm exaggerating here, it felt like it was about six to seven inches long. So when I would have the windows down, I mean, yeah, it wasn't like I was suffocating, but there wasn't much airflow just because of how small the windows were, and also because of the vehicle's design, when I'm driving, there's no air hitting me if anything, it's just it's all pocketing into the very back, which is a tiny space.
Speaker 2: So you know that wasn't the right on I mean, that was brutal.
Speaker 1: Or I could put the top down to where there's clearly more air, but then I'm just sitting baking in the sun because the seats.
Speaker 2: Were black leather. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to sound I don't want to sound like poor me. I just remember I had the job I had at the time I was nineteen years old.
Speaker 2: I parked cars. I was a valet parker at a hospital.
Speaker 1: Here downtown, which was actually a pretty good gig for me because it was, you know, kept me active, and I was honestly the time in life where I realized, Okay, I don't want to do this the rest of my life. But I would be in vehicles that, of course, you know, had ac throughout the day, and then I would get I would get in my car to go home, and on some days I wouldn't need a shower just from the drive, just from sitting in that car.
Speaker 2: And I think the the.
Speaker 1: Top down always seemed like the When I would tell people that my options here, they would say, well, just put the top down. I'm like, no, that's worse. That's that's the worst of the two, because if the sun is shining, I'm sitting on black leather just baking.
Speaker 2: And I remember thinking, Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what the future holds for me, but man, I hope I'm able to put myself in a situation to where I can afford a.
Speaker 2: Vehicle that has AC.
Speaker 1: And I'm happy to say that I do have AC and vehicle now, and I'm gonna try to never take it for granted because I know a lot of people don't have AC, and that's got to be brutal. Ar Man Scott Fitzgerald, I mean, he tells us he's been driving around no AC, and I'm I feel for him.
Speaker 2: Especially with the weather we've had here recently. It's been just gross outside. All right.
Speaker 1: We've got traffick in weather updates on the way as well as sports right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John, It is six thirty five here Kentucky and his morning news on news.
Speaker 2: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: Nick Coffee with you, John all On alongside, and of course the full team is here, John Shannon, Scott Fitzgerald and know we're taking you up until nine o'clock. At that point we'll hand it off to Tony Veneddi and Dwight Whitten. I'm still getting used to the fact that there are many more people sleeping for the first couple of hours of this show than there are awake, at least around here. And really I don't have any proof that suggests that, but there are some that are early risers like us.
Speaker 2: But I try to be productive.
Speaker 1: When you know, in the mornings, during these commercial breaks, as far as just getting ahead of the day whenever I have to start the day after the show ends. But I got to stop texting people before uh six thirty because I I I realized I've sent out some text and haven't gotten a response. I'm thinking, what's going on, Well, it's because they're probably sleeping. And if I woke them up, Like let's say I just send a text message to somebody and it woke them up and it was like five minutes before their alarm clock went off, they they hate me now, right.
Speaker 3: This is especially if their notifications are on and they go off.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like if I but even if you're a light sleeper, like maybe your body knows you're about to be getting up because the alarm clock goes off at the same time every day, so you know you're already kind of you know, getting your body's getting ready to be woke up. And all it takes is just the vibration right from the text message that comes in. And if so, I you know, I'm gonna stop, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna. Actually, what do you think is the right of the right time to text or call someone?
Speaker 2: Who calls anybody anymore?
Speaker 1: Actually now that to think about it, but sometimes people prefer to have a phone call. Sometimes it's just easier to Sometimes the quicker way to get your message across because of context and whatnot, is just to call somebody directly. But if it's not somebody who talk to regularly, you probably people probably don't want you to call them.
Speaker 2: But anyways, what would I think if you if you text.
Speaker 1: Somebody or call them like after nine to nine thirty, that it's not like a close person in your life or a family member. I wouldn't say that's rude, but they may be a little caught off guard, and I would say maybe like before, But could I say I was gonna say before eight am would be maybe the same situation at the beginning of the day, But I don't know, maybe maybe like pre nine am, right.
Speaker 3: I think I think eight o'clock's usually what I go for because there's times where I have to set reminders to message people because I don't want to do what you're talking about, just sending messages too early. And I mean, as long as people are getting up, you know, they're getting up to go to work. You think at least they're supposed to be then sending a message eight or nine, I don't think that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's stain not rude.
Speaker 1: But I guess from my own experience, I have woke up to see text message that came text messages that came in you know, earlier before, you know, in my previous life where I didn't have to wake up at three o'clock three thirty every morning, I would wake up at seven thirty or seven, sometimes a little later, depending upon the day, and I would wake up to text messages, not meaning that they woke me up, but I woke up to see that I had a few and it was sometimes not a great way to start the day. It's not like somebody decided to start the morning by sending me an insult, but just you know, you wake up to see something that you didn't expect to be dealing with it, even if it's not a big deal. When you just get up and you don't want to get up because you're tired, and then you maybe now have something added to your plate, that's you know, it's not a good thing for a lot of people. So I'm going to be more mindful if you are one of the few people that I've been communicating with.
Speaker 2: And here's here's the thing.
Speaker 1: They text me not late in the evening, but when I've already got my phone kind of in, you know, away from me because I'm trying to get to sleep. So I'm catching up with them the next day. But yeah, my sleep you'll not align with a lot of people. And that's that's just the way it's going to be, because now I've got a much different, much different routine.
Speaker 2: So real quick, before we get to our.
Speaker 1: Next up date on travcking Weather, the guy who was who was Steve in Blues Clues? Which, of course I know there's many of you listening that maybe know what it is. There's some that don't because of just when this came out. But Steve Burns was the original host of Nickelodeon's Blues Clues from nineteen ninety six to two thousand and two, and he's launching a new podcast called a Live. It's going to debut in the fall. And this isn't a reboot of Blues Clues, but it's gonna it's going to target the generation, I guess, particularly the particularly the millennials who grew up watching him, Right, So he's going to be the same friend you had, but now you're going to be grown ups.
Speaker 2: And I won't.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch Blues Clues growing up, so I can't really relate. But what really as soon as I saw this story, I went back to the viral story from two thousand and one. We're on the Blues Clues twenty fifth anniversary. He checked in with fans and posted a video and it was just like he was talking to you when you were a kid watching Blues Clues. But he was like, hey, so how's life. Yeah, a lot of challenges come with being a grown up, and it was one of those things that there's no way whoever put that together, probably Nickelodeon, who owns Blues Clues. There's no way they would have expected to get the reaction that they got because keep in mind, in two thousand and one, we're fresh off the pandemic. A lot of people learned about themselves during that time. I mean, it was a rough, a rough era in our country for a lot of reasons, including mental health and the amount of people who had uncontrollable emotion about getting the check in from kind of like their big brother slash uncle that was the guy hosting Blues Clues when they were kids. It was I know it's gonna sound corny, but like it was. I mean, I can't relate. I didn't watch Blues Clues and I never had a TV show where I had somebody like this guy.
Speaker 2: But like, if you're a kid, I get it, and especially.
Speaker 1: The timing of Wow, I needed that check in from Steve from Blues Clues, who haven't talked to since I was seven years old. But he's telling me to stick in there because everything's going to be okay. So I don't think this podcast would have happened had you not got the reaction from so many people that were happy to hear from Steve from Blues Clues and now they realize, hey, there's a market for this. So fascinating, and he dealt with a lot of issues on his own because he was just only known as that he started working behind the scenes in Hollywood and got typecast because of Blues Clues, and there were there, you know, he wanted to be private, but then every now and then there'd be a rumor.
Speaker 2: A hoax that he was dead, so he'd have to address it. So you didn't.
Speaker 1: That was like the early early era of when you didn't see a celebrity and they just kind of no longer were in the spotlight and they were just living a private life. Some people just will maybe they're dead, which he's not dead. He's a love and well and he's not going to be hosting a podcast. So interesting, all right. An update on traffic and weather is right here, right now on news Radio eight forty WHS six forty six Here Kitseucki inas Morning News on news Radio eight forty WHA Nick Coffee with You, John Alden alongside and John, it makes total sense that you were a Blues Clues kid because you are right in that age range.
Speaker 2: I just missed it.
Speaker 1: I feel like, although there are some people that are between our age range, in between the nine year difference that probably were also into the Blues Clues. But you watch the trailer for this podcast we just talked about that is being launched by the former host Steve Burns of Blues Clues, who's now going to target not the same audience, but the same people, if that makes sense right. This is not targeted at children, but it's targeted at children who are now adults, or it's targeted adults who were children when he became sort of a big part of their life. I bet the nostalgia when you watch that trailer was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the marketing tactic is definitely working on me, because again I haven't read now I get it this dude speak, of course, and the manner in which he was doing to harken back to the Blues Clue stuff until right now, and so I'll definitely check it out whenever this thing initially releases. But definitely he's sitting in like the big red chair that he had very similar to the one that he had during the Kids Show.
Speaker 1: So and that's I think you as best you can. I mean, you can't kitty it up too much, but it's best you can to make it the experience as far as this, the aesthetics is what you you had as a kid. But now, of course it's the same guy who you used to just he was your buddy, right, he was somebody that you know, you you became close with. But now he's he's talking to you when you're not seven or eight, he's talking to you when you're an.
Speaker 2: Adult twenty seven. Yeah, he's targeting that.
Speaker 1: I just I think it's fascinating marketing and I would not be shocked at all if it becomes successful with that with that age range, especially because he's just been out of sight, out of mind for so many people. When's the last time you thought of Steve Burns from Blues Clues?
Speaker 2: Couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a long time. So interesting stuff for sure. All Right, We've got a sports update coming your way in about seven minutes when it comes to the NBA Draft, and I've got some more as far as his thoughts on last night's draft experience overall, but we did have for the first time ever in the history of the ACC the number one pick from the NFL and now the NBA draft with Cooper Flag going number one. Uh, and now with Duke getting another number one pick, they now have a two. They're two ahead of anybody else. So they've got five overall number one picks Duke does. Kentucky has three, and then you've got a tie with a bunch of schools that have two, including Indiana. So, uh, Kentucky's number one picks. You've got Anthony Davis, John Wall And was there another cow guy that was number one?
Speaker 2: Or is it maybe maybe dan Issel? Now I'm gonna does have.
Speaker 3: Who Indiana's two are on there because I.
Speaker 1: Was I imagine it probably it's probably. I imagine it's probably way back in the day that I could be I could be could be totally wrong.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Dan Issel was drafted in the he was a legendary player, but he wasn't drafted until much later. I feel like there's a Kentucky guy.
Speaker 2: That that.
Speaker 1: Was drafted number one from the cal Eira that I'm blanking on right now.
Speaker 2: But maybe maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Uh, and it's gonna tarl Anthony. Was he number one for one? There you go, so uh yeah, being taken in the draft in any round, any selection, has got to be a feeling. But being the first one off the board, regardless if I mean, I think Cooper Flyg would have to be pretty uh non human to not have such a I mean, a feeling that most of us will never experience or anything like it.
Speaker 2: But he knew, of course, it wasn't a surprise.
Speaker 1: He was expected to hear his name, but I don't I would imagine even with that being said, it's still a moment when you walk across the stage and you shake the commissioner's hand and again, this is corny, I know, but it's one of probably the many moments in your career where it really hits you that you you did it. And look, he's he did it long ago. He's been a made man for a good part of his life now, but still it became real last night as he got his first job. Kind of right, because sports is kind of a job too now because you get paid. But anyways, we've got another update on Traffick and weather coming up, and also another update on sports right here on news radio eight forty whas