Speaker 1: So if you tell your web browser to subtract the number one from the word five like text that actually spells out the number five, it somehow gives you the number four.
Speaker 2: Right, which logically makes absolutely no sense, none at all.
Speaker 1: But wait, if you tell it to add the number one to the text five, it suddenly gives you fifty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just glues them together. It's wild, It really is.
Speaker 1: So. Welcome to the deep dive today. Our mission is to basically decode what on earth is happening behind the glass of your screens. You know, we really want to demystify this incredibly powerful, but honestly slightly alien world of computer programming.
Speaker 2: And it is alien. I mean, we are surrounded by these machines constantly, right, We're carrying them in our pockets, We're wearing them on our wrisks, yeah, everywhere exactly. Yet for most people, the actual mechanism of how we talk to them, it re means completely opaque. We just tap a colorful little icon and just, you know, hope the machine understands our.
Speaker 1: Intent, which is exactly why we are diving into some excerpts from truly fascinating source today. We're looking at the acclaimed book Eloquent JavaScript second edition by Marine Haverbak.
Speaker 2: It's a great choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, because what makes this material really stand out is that it's not it's not just some dry technical manual about like writing web code.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: It reads much more like a well, a philosophical exploration.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: It looks at how we bridge this massive communication gap between us, you know, squishy biological organisms who excel at social and spatial reasoning and these completely unfeeling manipulators of meaningless data.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the author frames that disconnect so perfectly. I mean, think about human intelligence for a second. Okay, we constantly rely on context, nuance, social cues just to understand each other. Computers have absolutely none of that, zero, right, They don't inherently understand the concept of like a photo or a bank account. They just shuffle data around based on these incredibly rigid, unthinking rules.
Speaker 1: So we have to basically build a bridge to interact with them. And looking at the history of it all, we kind of settled on two different approaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: The first approach, it relies heavily on our human talent for spatial reasoning, like we build graphical interfaces. We literally draw a little folders on the screen. We swipe, we pin exactly, we drag and drop things into a virtual trash can.
Speaker 2: And I mean it makes perfect sense why that approach won the mainstream, right. It makes the computer feel approachable, almost physical in a way.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But there is a hidden cost to all that convenience, because when you rely entirely on a point and click graphical interface, your power is strictly limited to the imagination of the person who designed that interface.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a really good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You can only click the specific buttons they decided to draw for you, you know, and only in the exact ways they allow you to click them.
Speaker 1: Let's ground this in like a real world scenario for a second. Interacting with a computer purely through a graphical interface is basically like going to a restaurant and ordering off a fixed printed menu.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I like that, right.
Speaker 1: You can choose the chicken, or you can choose the steak. You can maybe ask for the dressing on the side if they let you, exactly if they let you. But if you suddenly decide, hey, I want a fusion dish that isn't on the page, well, you are completely out of luck.
Speaker 2: That captures the limitation perfectly. You're trapped by the menu.
Speaker 1: But learning a programming language that feels like, I don't know, sneaking past the wait staff, walking straight into the restaurant's kitchen, finding where they keep all the raw ingredients, the pans, the spices, and just cooking whatever your heart desires.
Speaker 2: Yeah, taking control of the kitchen is the ultimate goal here, because to instruct a computer to perform truly open ended mavel tasks, you know, clicking buttons will never be enough. Right, We have to lean into our most powerful tool for abstract thought, which is language itself. Teaching a machine a language bypasses that fixed menu completely.
Speaker 1: Which honestly makes me wonder if if the shift to those incredibly easy, beautifully designed graphical interfaces actually made us forget how much raw power we hold over our devices. Oh, I think it absolutely did, because decades ago, interacting with a computer meant typing text onto a blank screen. There was no handholding none.
Speaker 2: We definitely traded absolute control for daily convenience, no question. But the raw power is still sitting right there, you know, just beneath the glossy surface of every app you use just waiting to be commanded. Yeah. In fact, the book highlights a quote from the computer scientist Joseph Weisenbaum that really sets the stakes for what we're talking about. He wrote, the computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is responsible creator of universes.
Speaker 1: I mean, wow, you don't usually hear that kind of sweeping, majestic language applied to like someone typing lines of code in a dark room.
Speaker 2: It sounds grandiose, sure, but it's entirely accurate. Unlike physical engineering, where you have to worry about gravity, material costs for and all.
Speaker 1: That stuff real world problems, right.
Speaker 2: A computer program is completely costless to build. It is literally weightless. It grows and expands under your typing hands out of pure thought. Yeah, you are quite literally building a microscopic universe with virtually unlimited complexity.
Speaker 1: But a universe built out of pure thought sounds incredibly difficult to manage, like there's no physical scaffolding to keep it from collapsing in on itself exactly. And in the source material, the author even brings in a quote from Confucius to sort of warn us about this learning process. Confucius basically says uh, If I show you one corner of a square, you need to be anxious to go find the other three corners yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's setting expectations right.
Speaker 1: The author is giving us a heads up that digesting this material and building these universes it takes intense mental effort. It's like you're building a massive mental maze.
Speaker 2: The real danger of building a massive mental maze out of pure thought is that you can very easily get lost in it yourself. The complexity will just grow out of control if you aren't careful.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about typing.
Speaker 2: No, the true art of programming isn't really about typing the right words at all. It is the art of controlling complexity.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to control that complexity, we obviously have to start with the raw building blocks. We have to wade into what the book calls the sea of bits, and the scale of this is just hard to wrap your head around. A typical modern computer has more than thirty billion bits floating around in its volatile working memory.
Speaker 2: Thirty billion individual points of data and the bit it's the smallest conceivable unit of information. It only has two states, like on or off exactly. Think of it as a microscopic electrical switch that is either said to high or low. We represent those states conceptually as a one or a zero. And that is all. It is just an ocean of binary noise.
Speaker 1: Okay, but of everything is just an ocean of identical electrical charges. How does the computer know when a specific group of bits is supposed to be I don't know a number or a letter or a color like JavaScript would have to build fences inside that ocean.
Speaker 2: Building fences is exactly how it imposes order on the chaos. JavaScript takes that endless sea of thirty billion bits and chunks them into organized, manageable pieces of information. It calls them values value, and every single value you create is assigned a specific type, which then dictates exactly how the computer's allowed to interact with it.
Speaker 1: Let's look closely at the number type then, because I think this really illustrates how the physical reality of the machine actually limits the theoretical math it does. JavaScript draws a very specific fence for numbers. Right, It uses exactly sixty four bits to store a single number value.
Speaker 2: Meaning you have a physical container with exactly sixty four slots. Each slot can hold a one or a zero, And because it is a fixed physical size, well, there are only so many combinations of zeros and ones you can generate.
Speaker 1: I mean, sixty four bits still provides a massive playground doing the math on the combinations that gives you the ability to represent about eighteen quintillion different numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is an eighteen followed by eighteen zeros, which is huge. It feels like an infinite space, right, Ito likesy to count higher than you would ever need to in a lifetime. But it is fundamentally finite, right, not infinite. And because it is finite, the computer has to make compromises, especially when you ask it to store fractional numbers like say nine point eighty one.
Speaker 1: And this is where the physical architecture forces the computer to cheat a little bit, isn't it, Because out of those sixty four slots, one slot has to be reserved just to remember if the number is negative, then a whole chunk of slots has to be used to remember exactly where the decimal point.
Speaker 2: Lives, which leaves even fewer slots for the actual digits. So, just like the number pi goes on forever and can't be perfectly written out on a finite piece of paper. Oh, a computer can't store a complex, infinitely repeating fraction in a finite sixty four bit container. It physically runs out of room, so it simply rounds off the end. It basically just stores a very close approximation of the fraction.
Speaker 1: So as a programmer, you kind of have to look at fraction all digital numbers with a healthy dose of suspicion. Always they might be off by some microscopic, invisible fraction. But beyond the standard numbers, a JavaScript includes three special numbers inside the number type that are essentially like rebels. They don't follow the rules of normal math.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The first two are infinity and infinity, and they generally behave the way you would expect infinite concepts to behave, right, Like, if you subtract one from infinity, the result is still infinity.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: But if you start throwing infinity into your equations everywhere, the math starts getting very wobbly, very quickly, which leads to the third and probably most notorious special number, NAN, which.
Speaker 1: Literally stands for not a number. Okay, I have to stop and unpack this because it sounds like a cruel joke.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: Why on Earth. Would a programming language explicitly create a value called not a number and then categorize it inside the number type.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a total paradox. I know, but you'd have to look at it from the computer's perspective. It needs a catch all safety net.
Speaker 1: A safety net.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you force the computer to calculate something mathematically nonsensical, like zero divided by zero or infinite minus infinity, it has to return some kind of result.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see.
Speaker 2: It can't just return the number seven, because that's a lie. It can't return a word. It has to output a value of the number type.
Speaker 1: So it returns nan. It's essentially the computer throwing its hands up in the air, shrugging and saying, hey, I ran the calculation you asked for, but the result is complete gibberish.
Speaker 2: I tried, but this is nonsense exactly.
Speaker 1: It prevents the whole system from crashing just by providing a safe, predictable output for a broken equation.
Speaker 2: Okay. Moving beyond numbers, the language also chunks bits into other types. We have strings, which are used to represent text. You wrap your text in quote marks, and you can glue different strings together, which is a process called concatenation right, and then you have booleans, which are incredibly simply just act as logical true or false switches.
Speaker 1: You know. Taking a step back, the text provides some vital historical context that really makes you appreciate all these types.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the history is fascinating because in.
Speaker 1: The early days of computing, decades before JavaScript even existed, programmers did not have the luxury of just typing a word or a number. They had to act as the interface themselves.
Speaker 2: Literally flipping switches. Literally, they stood in front of massive machines and manually flipped large arrays of physical switches or punch tiny holes in cardboard cards just to feed those ones and zeros directly into the machine's memory.
Speaker 1: So you're basically doing the computer's job for it, manually calculating and arranging sixty four distinct electrical charges just to teach the machine the number thirteen.
Speaker 2: It was incredibly tedious, highly error prone work. Today, the JavaScript language handles all that translation invisibly. You type the number thirteen on your keyboard and the language instantly automatically generates the correct sixty four bit pattern and slots it into the computer's memory.
Speaker 1: It feels like magic when it works per But you know, as we teased at the very beginning of this steep dive, JavaScript is not a perfectly logical, predictable language.
Speaker 2: No it is not.
Speaker 1: It has a very specific, somewhat chaotic personality, and that personality actually comes from its history. It was created in a massive hurry back in nineteen ninety five for the Netscape Navigator web browser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even its name reflects that chaotic birth. The name JavaScript was purely a marketing ploy. Oh yeah, it has almost no actual relationship to the highly structured Java programming language that was incredibly popular at the time. Netscape just wanted to ride the codetails of Java's hype.
Speaker 1: Wow, and that rushed, heavily marketed design process led to some wild design choices. The source text notes that JavaScript was intentionally built to be highly forgiving, right. Yes, the creators wanted it to be accessible for total beginners. The philosophy was basically that the language should accept almost anything you type, no matter how badly formatted, without crashing the web browser.
Speaker 2: And I mean, on the surface, a language that refuses to crash sounds like a beginner's dream, but in practice, a language that refuses to crash is a language that refuses to tell you when you've made a catastrophic mistake right.
Speaker 1: It hides your errors from you. Instead of stopping the program and saying, hey, line forty two, it makes no sense, please fix it, JavaScript decides to just quietly play along.
Speaker 2: He uses a process called type coercion.
Speaker 3: Type coercion it basically looks at your bad code and tries to guess your underlying intent. It literally forces one type of data to become another type of data, so the equation could just finish.
Speaker 1: I love the analogy for this. JavaScript acts exactly like an overly eager improv comedy partner. Yes, the improv partner, because the golden rule of improv is yes, and you never shut down your partner's idea.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You accept whatever crazy scenario they introduce, and you build on it. Exactly if you say, hey, I brought a toaster to the beach, your partner doesn't say that makes no sense. They say yes, and the toaster is actually a submarine.
Speaker 2: That captures the dynamic perfectly. It keeps the scene moving forward at all costs, even if you are no longer in the scene you originally intended to.
Speaker 1: Write let's walk through the hilarious examples of this from the book You Hand JavaScript and equation. Like the number eight multiplied by null. Now NOLL basically means emptiness nothing. Instead of crashing, JavaScript says, oh, you want to multiply, Well, nol is kind of like the number zero yes, and eight times zero zero zero.
Speaker 2: It just quietly converted the concept of emptiness into a mathematical integer.
Speaker 1: And it gets so much weirder. The text points out that if you take the string five, the actual text character of a five, and you try to subtract the number one from it, JavaScript says, well, you obviously can't subtract numbers from a word, so you must have accidentally put quotes around the number five. Yes, and five minus one is four.
Speaker 2: It converts the text string into a number type to make the math work out, which I mean admittedly feels somewhat intuitive.
Speaker 1: But then you try the exact opposite. You take the string five and you add the number one. A human would assume the end six naturally, but JavaScript sees the plus sign and says, oh, a plus sign. You don't want to do math, you want to glue things together, So it converts the number one into text, glues it to the text five, and confidently hands you back the string fifty one.
Speaker 2: It is applying an absolute literal logic to the symbols you typed, completely blind to the fact that the result is total nonsense to a human reader. And if you push it too far, say trying to multiply this spelled out word five by the number two, it finally realizes it cannot convert letters into math. So rather than crashing, it hands you back our old friend nan, not a number.
Speaker 1: So, as a programmer trying to build a stable universe, how do you defend yourself against an improv partner who constantly alters reality behind your back.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to strip away its ability to guess. You have to be incredibly explicit. The language provides defense mechanisms for this, thankfully, Like what for example, when you want to check if two things are equal, you don't use the standard double equal sign. You use the strictly equal operator, which is three equal signs in a row.
Speaker 1: Oh, so it's like a strict bouncer at the door.
Speaker 2: Precisely that triple equal sign tells JavaScript, do not do any automatic type conversions, do not try to guess what I meant only return true if these two items are the exact same type and the exact same value.
Speaker 1: So no improbable out none good.
Speaker 2: And Another fascinating defense mechanism is exploiting the language's natural laziness through something called short circuit evaluation.
Speaker 1: Short circuit evaluation that sounds incredibly abstract. How do you exploit laziness in a machine?
Speaker 2: Let's translate out of code. Imagine a bouncer at an exclusive club. Okay, the rule is you can come inside if you are on the VIP list, or if you pay one hundred dollars cover charge. You walk up and the bouncer sees your name on the VIP list. At that exact moment, does he ask you if you have one hundred dollars?
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't care. The first condition was met, so he just opens the door or circuits the rest of the question exactly.
Speaker 2: JavaScript handles logical or statements the exact same way. If you give it an equation that says true r x, JavaScript seedes that the first part is true, the overall statement is already satisfied. Oh wow, so it never even looks at X. It completely ignores whatever code is written there. X could be a terrible error that would normally crash the program, but JavaScript is too lazy to read it, so your program survives.
Speaker 1: That is a brilliant way to conceptualize it. So we've spent all this time talking about values floating in the sea of bits and how they combine into equations. The book calls these combinations expressions. But an expression sort of feels like a sentence fragment. Just calculating five plus five produces the value ten, but it doesn't actually do anything.
Speaker 2: Think of an expression like the computer daydreaming. It thinks to itself five plus five is ten, but it keeps that thought entirely in its own head.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: To actually change the state of the machine, we need what the book calls a statement. A statement is full complete sentence. It crosses the boundary from digital thought into physical reality by creating a side effect.
Speaker 1: A side effect that's the computer finally opening its mouth to speak. Basically, it pops a dialogue box up on your screen, or it reaches out and saves a file to your hard drive exactly.
Speaker 2: But to have meaningful side effects over time, the program cannot just react in the moment. It needs an internal memory. It needs to keep track of its own state, and we achieve this using variables.
Speaker 1: And here is a crucial mental shift the author demands from the reader. Anyone who has gabbled encrding is usually taught that a variable is like a little cardboard box where you store a piece of data.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the classic teaching tool, right.
Speaker 1: But the book consists that variables are absolutely not boxes. They are tentacles.
Speaker 2: It is such a visceral, accurate metaphor. Really, Yeah, variables do not contain values. They grasp them.
Speaker 1: They grasp them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Picture a massive, invisible octopus living inside your computer's memory. When you define a new variable, you are commanding the program to grow a new tentacle, reach out into the sea of bits and hold tightly onto a specific value.
Speaker 1: Okay, Let's say I create a variable called Luji's debt and I tell the program his debt is one hundred and forty dollars. So tentacle grows and wraps tightly around the sixty four bit chunk of memory representing the number one.
Speaker 2: Forty Yep, it's holding onto it. And the reason the technical analogy is far superior to the box analogy is that two separate variables can easily point to the exact same value. Two tentacles can grab the same number in memory.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now imagine Luigi pays you back thirty five dollars. His debt is now one oh five. If variables were boxes, you would open the box, throw away the one forty, and put a one oh five inside. But with tentacles the action is much more fluid. The tentacle simply lets go of the one forty, reaches over, and grasps the number one oh five instead.
Speaker 1: Wait, what happens if you tell the program to grow a tentacle, but you don't actually tell it what to grab.
Speaker 2: Then the tentacles just waving around, grasping it thin air. In JavaScript, we represent that empty grasp with a special value called undefined. It signifies the purposeful absence of a meaningful value.
Speaker 1: Okay, but a chaotic mess of tentacles blindly grabbing at numbers doesn't sound like a functioning universe. Something has to orchestrate all this grasping and letting go, right, How do we build structure?
Speaker 2: We organize the chaos by packaging code into functions. A function is well, it's a block of instructions that you wrap up name and save.
Speaker 1: For later, like things you want to repeat exactly.
Speaker 2: Things like popping up an alert on the screen, and to orchestrate when these functions run and when these tentacles move, we use control flow.
Speaker 1: Ah, this is how the mental maze is constructed.
Speaker 2: Yes, the simplest form of control flow is just a straight line executing statements from top to bottom. But a straight line isn't intelligent. We need the program to make decisions, so we build forks in the road using conditional execution, like if and L statements. If the user gives us a password, let them in, else lock the screen.
Speaker 1: And if we need the program to monitor something continuously, we use loops.
Speaker 2: Without lukes, a program would just run through its instructions once and immediately die. A loop gives the program a heart beat.
Speaker 1: I love that a heart beat.
Speaker 2: It allows the program to wake up, look at the current state of its universe, make a change, and then go back to sleep, over and over again. That repetitive cycle is the fundamental mechanism that keeps a video game running continuously on your screen, updating the graphics sixty times a second based on what you are doing.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's all just loops, tentacles, and conditional forks in the road, which actually leads me back to that profound idea of side effects. I want to ask a clarifying question here. Yeah, if a program uses loops to calculate the secrets of the universe for a million years in a dark server room, but it never once triggers a side effect. It never prints the answer to a screen, never saves it to a drive, never moves a robotic arm. Did it actually happen? Our side effects the only proof a digital universe exists.
Speaker 2: I mean from our human perspective outside the machine. Yes, the internal state, all those shifting tentacles, brilliant expressions, they are entirely invisible to us.
Speaker 1: So it's just a computer talking to itself.
Speaker 2: Basically, a side effect is the only way a program reaches out of its digital universe and proves its existence in the physical world.
Speaker 1: That is just wild to think about. Let's bring this entire deep dive full circle them. We started by exploring the massive philosophical gap between human communication and unfeeling machines.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 1: We mapped out the transition from graphical menus to the raw power of language. We waded through an ocean of thirty billion bits, navigating sixty four bit containers and approximate fractions. We learned how to defend ourselves against JavaScript, acting like a chaotic improv partner the yes and language exactly, and we envisioned on an octopus of variables, grasping values just to orchestrate a universe.
Speaker 2: And through all of that, you know, the core lesson from the author really remains the same. The real challenge isn't memorizing the syntax. The challenge is subduing the chaos. Programming is this constant, active discipline of keeping your own mental universe from collapsing under its own weight.
Speaker 1: It's designing the maze so perfectly that you always know your way out. But as we wrap up, I want to leave you with one final thought. Tam all over.
Speaker 2: Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: The book makes it clear that a variable is just a tentacle temporarily grasping of value in a highly volatile sea of memory. And it notes that when a value is no longer being grasped by any tentacle, it simply dissipates. The computer sweeps it away and recycles the space. Right, So think about this. What happens to that intricate, magnificent universe. A programmer spent thousands of hours building out of pure thought. The exact microsecond the power cord is pulled or the browser tap is closed, does all that complex architecture just vanish into the digital ether, completely erased, as if it never existed at all.
Speaker 2: Wow, it is an incredibly fragile kind of magic, it really is.
Speaker 1: It makes you appreciate sneaking into that digital kitchen just a little bit more, doesn't it. Thank you for joining us on this deep dive