Speaker 1: Now your host for playoff Dodger Toss sound off, Angelinos David Vasse.
Speaker 2: What a night at Dodgers Stadium as the Dodgers are advancing to the NL West for the first time since twenty twenty one, beating the Padres in five games, shutting them out two to nothing, shutting them out the last twenty six innings of this series. We are with you until ten o'clock tonight at eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two, five seventy. The Dodgers are yours and I know how electric the city is tonight celebrating this game five victory over the Sad Diego Padres tonight. What a series for the Dodgers. What a game by Yoshi Yamamoto. The last time we spoke, I had some doubts about what he can do for the Dodgers in this game tonight, But you know, he proved a lot of people wrong tonight. If anybody thought or predicted Yama Moto was going to go out there tonight and pitch five scoreless innings and only give two hits tonight to the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 3: I don't believe it.
Speaker 2: I don't believe any of you out there believed yama Moto would do what he did tonight. It felt like the Dodgers themselves were planning on going to the bullpen early in this game if he got into trouble.
Speaker 3: He did not.
Speaker 2: And to me, the biggest play, the key playing tonight's game was in the third inning. That was when Yamamoto was facing Fernando Tattis Junior after a Luis Arise two out single or one out single. Tattis Junior, we all know what he's done this series. Yamamoto has struggled against Tattoos. I wasn't even sure the Dodgers were going to allow Yamamoto to face Tattos a second time. He was going well, so they left him in there. And what did he get On a three to one pitch, Fernando Tattist Junior grounded into an inning ending double play five to four to three. To me, that was the biggest play of the game tonight. Yes, keik and Taoscar Hernandez's home runs enormous, enormous.
Speaker 3: All you needed was two runs tonight.
Speaker 2: With the way the Dodgers were shutting down this Padre offense, the Padres were in their own heads. I mean you could see it in the dugout, the peacock feathers of Fernando Tattis Junior were not furled out. Manny Machado gave a couple a big ride to right field, but did not get all of it. Twenty six innings, the last twenty six innings of this Division series, the Dodger pitching staff shut out the San Diego Padres. And you have to say it that way because it wasn't just the Padre hitters getting themselves out.
Speaker 3: It was the.
Speaker 2: Dodger hitters, our Dodger pitchers shutting them down. We have a full border calls. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We will hear from Jose Moda. We will hear from Freddy Freeman again, Mookie Betts, and also Tioscar Hernandez. But I will say this, and I was preaching this all series long.
Speaker 3: This team is different than the last two years.
Speaker 2: A big reason why is they have guys like Otani Taoscar Hernandez. They have a bullpen that is at full strength. Those are the guys that pull everybody along to believe. That's the sense I got from this team. Also, another turning point in this series. I asked a few people down in that very wet Dodger clubhouse what changed the series? What gave the Dodgers kind of that edge that they were missing in the first part of this series. It was in that first game in San Diego, Game three, Walker Buehler, a six run second inning, comes into the dugout in San Diego, takes the cooler, throws it on the ground in the dugout. Lets everybody know he's not happy, and that's not acceptable, and are we going to plant our.
Speaker 3: Feet and stand firm?
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what Buehler did after that second inning, and that's exactly what happened the rest of this series. So to me, talking to some people I respect in that clubhouse, they all believe that was the turning point of the edge and the fight and the grand Slam by Taoscar Hernandez certainly was a huge message to the rest of that team, building off what Buehler did in the dugout and what he did going out there to put up zeros the third, fourth and fifth inning of Game three to allow the Dodgers to have fresh arms for a bullpen game.
Speaker 3: So that's the way I see it.
Speaker 2: La is celebrating in the streets, and don't make any mistakes about it. The Dodgers are a really good team. There should be no doubts they can take down the New York Mets in the NLCS.
Speaker 3: There should be no doubts.
Speaker 2: And this will be a rematch of the nineteen eighty eight NLCS, which went seven games, and also the last time the Dodgers and Mets faced each other in the postseason, the twenty fifteen NLDS, which also went which went the Mets way nineteen eighty eight, Oral Herscheiser and Kirk Gibson, Mickey Hatcher and Mike Soosha carry them past Dwight Gooden and the Mets. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Your Dodgers are going to the NLCS. Let's go out to the phones. James, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? You're on Dodger Talk?
Speaker 4: Hi, James, Hey, damn, how you doing. I'm driving back right now with a converted Yankees now Dodgers fan until the Dodgers Satis faced each other. Okay, I got look Brandon here in the car, but I gotta tell you.
Speaker 1: Man, Yamamoto delivered, and I got to give all the credit to Dave Roberts in the front office for saying, this guy that we've put all the money in is there to deliver. And he did, and I love that. I mean, I'm sure they had a game plan in case he did not, but watching it in the game, it was absolutely impressive.
Speaker 5: And as all of the other.
Speaker 1: Announcers said, you gotta put Tik in the lineup in the games that matter, and boy, he showed up. He delivered, and in my opinion moving forward into the NLCS, I like the way that we look. I like the way that Dave Roberts is managing, especially the bullpen for us to win that bullpen game, and I love us against a team that just barely squeaked in.
Speaker 2: All right, James, thanks for the phone call. Look, Key y Hernandez needed to be in this series. He wasn't for the first part of this series. He is here to play in October. I remember vividly where I was when the Dodgers made it official when they signed Key A Hernandez. The Dodgers were playing the Rockies or Diamondbacks at Salt Rivers Field in Arizona.
Speaker 3: At talking stick.
Speaker 2: Brandon Gomes came into actually the radio booth I was sitting in to hold, you know, the mini press conference, and I distinctly remember him saying, the reason why we wanted Key a Hernandez back was for October. And you can't give key k a Hernandez just two pinch hit at bats off the bench and expect him to make a difference. He should be in center field the rest of the postseason, and Tommy Edmond should be at shortstop the rest of the postseason.
Speaker 3: That's the way it is.
Speaker 2: And Miguel Rojas obviously can't contribute coming off the bench. But Keith a Hernandez lives for October. And you heard what he said before the game. He's a big visualizer. He was visualizing success tonight, visualizing hitting a Grand Slam in tonight's game. The most successful athletes do all that, and Kei k certainly changed his mentality going into the twenty seventeen NLCS and from that series on, when he hit three home runs against the Cubs at Wrigley, his reputation is an October player, and that's a great reputation to have eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go to our.
Speaker 3: Guy the rally towel himself, Eric in Hollywood.
Speaker 6: Dodger day, Oh really day yo, y'all have a pitch, took care of business. Dodger baseball was pitchy Timely Rudds that win, James doctor tech shade.
Speaker 5: We all love it it.
Speaker 6: We believe, Dave, we believe now.
Speaker 7: I believe.
Speaker 2: I told you to believe in Denver. I remember that phone call. I remember preaching belief. Eric, I believed in this team. I wouldn't say it if I did not believe in this team.
Speaker 6: We believe Jimbo, Quad, George, Hey, Ethan and me.
Speaker 8: We all believe.
Speaker 6: We're all this text shape.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 5: We believe.
Speaker 6: Oh my god. But today I'm not gonna lie to you both. I was nervous. I didn't think. I didn't think we had this.
Speaker 3: But you didn't believe.
Speaker 2: You didn't believe say it.
Speaker 3: You did not believe. Do you believe nothing?
Speaker 9: I believe?
Speaker 6: I did not believe, David.
Speaker 8: I did I believe?
Speaker 3: Now, Eric, do you believe in believe?
Speaker 8: Bro?
Speaker 2: I'm thanks, Eric, appreciate the phone call. Look, I'm around these guys every day. It was different even when they were down two games to one different. Was I sure they were going to come back and win this series? No, But what I was sure of was they were going to fight and not lay down and just pack it in. After I saw what Buehler did in Game three, after I saw the Grand Slam from taoscar Hernandez and everything that led up to him having that opportunity, seeing Freddie Freeman play basically on one leg. And you're telling me the Dodgers don't have heart. You haven't been paying attention. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And look, yes the Mets are on a magical ride right now, and yes they have a lot of momentum, but they've been sitting in New York for a couple of days by the time Game one comes around. And my understanding is the Mets are going to work out in New York and then fly to LA tomorrow afternoon. Get here in the eve name Game one, Sunday night, here at Dodgers Stadium, first pitch at five point fifteen. The Dodgers are the team with all the momentum going into the NLCS. Let's go out to upland Austin, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hi Austin, Hey David, thank you for taking my CAF. Just want to I mean, I am so excited. I was went to all three of the games when the Dodgers swept the Diamondbacks back in twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, and this is just amazing to see this pitching and the response. I mean, you said it, twenty six scoreless, shutdown, shutdown innings and just giving all flowers to Dave Roberts. And he deserves everything that's coming his way in the good praises and hopefully good praises that are coming from fans, because you know they can turn on them so quick. But I mean usually you expect that when starters go seven to eight like shutdown innings, not crazy Bolton games. Bolton's coming in and doing their job. And it's just amazing what you've been able to do with the pitch and stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, if you're going to criticize Dave Roberts, and honestly, I think he's done one of his best managing jobs this season. He Andrew Friedman, Mark Pryor, Danny Lehman, his bench coach, have really come up with a great plan, and I'm glad you called and said that Austin. Dave Roberts deserves a lot of credit the way he basically outmanaged Mike Shilt. Mike Shilt got flat out outmanaged by Dave Roberts in this series. Dave Roberts made the adjustment to take Miguel Rojas out of the starting.
Speaker 3: Lineup, albeit with an injury.
Speaker 2: Yes, but Dave Roberts brought in Kekey Hernandez to start in this series. Move Tommy Edmond into shortstop. What did Mike Shilt do to help shake up his offense that did not score a run the last twenty six innings of this series. He still had Jerkson Profar hitting third, thank you very much. Mike Shildt hitting Jackson Merrill third would have made the Dodgers life a lot harder. He still had Luisa Rise leading off, who doesn't walk? Who coming into this series tonight was hitting two twenty two. He wasn't getting on base. He only gets on bass via the hit, which is great. But if you have a guy that has back to ball skills, wouldn't you want him hitting behind Manny Machado. So so many different decisions, including tonight in the seventh inning. You have that great bullpen that Aj Peller gave you, and you're going with you Darvish in the seventh inning on four days rest, and you're leaving your best relievers out there, including Tanner Scott, not to face the left handed hitter Freddie Freeman. There is no debate about it. Dave Roberts completely outmanaged Mike Shilt, and at some point you have to start giving Dave Roberts some credit for his part in the Dodgers victory because it was obvious he completely ran circles around Mike Shilt. The game planning of the Dodgers round circles around the Padres. I mean, it wasn't even close. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers are headed to the NLCS with a two to nothing shutout win over the Padres in Game five of the NLDS. Let's go out to Jason, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Jason, Hey.
Speaker 11: David, thanks for taking our call. We're super excited about moving on to the NLCS, and my son and I he's in the car with me. We actually live in North Carolina. We got tickets the last second yesterday afternoon. He got off the bus from school by four thirty, when we left for the airport by five thirty, so we made it just in time. It was a great game. Hey, we just had a quick question about Tony Gunsley.
Speaker 5: We saw him down on the field and we.
Speaker 11: Were thinking maybe there might be a chance for him to come back during the NLCS.
Speaker 5: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Talking to Tony before the NLDS, Jason, I don't believe he is going to pitch now. That might have changed between then and now, but Tony's coming off a serious injury, right, serious surgery.
Speaker 3: Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 2: Pitchers have told me, and Tony was even relating this to me that when he was in his rehab games, the feel for his pitches would come and go, and that's part of the reason why he wasn't on the NLDS roster. But he contributed in a way where he could help the team. In between the last regular season game and the start of the NLDS, him and Bobby Miller were throwing simulated games. Jason, so he took pride knowing that he can help the team in that way, but having him throw in a real game might be a little bit tall order there for Tony Gonsolin. But look, things may have changed between now and then. The Dodgers. So many doubters out there going into the into the postseason saying they didn't have enough pitching. Well, there's a lot of different ways to get to the finish line of a series and of a postseason, and the Dodgers proved that to be true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we agree, all right.
Speaker 11: Well, thanks for the information and we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Go Dodgers, drive home safe.
Speaker 3: Jason. Yeah, that's another part of all this.
Speaker 2: Everybody said the Dodgers had no chance because the Padres pitching was so much deeper, and that may have been true until Joe musk Grove blew out his elbow and today had Tommy John surgery, And that may have been true. But then Mike Shilt through Dylan Ceaes on three days rest instead of Martine Perez, who was really good for them in ten starts. So Mike Shilt again made a major miscalculation, just one of many, and that played right into the Dodgers' hands. And you're telling me going into the NLCS, this Dodger team can't hit.
Speaker 3: Sean Maniah or Jose Cantana.
Speaker 2: I hate to break it to you, the Mets have not seen a team like the Dodgers either. Let's not forget that either. Eight six, six seventy is the phone number. And yes, I'm calling my shot. The Dodgers are going to beat the Mets in the NLCS, and I would be shocked if it went more than five games. Let's go out to Sherman Oaks. Mark, you're on Dodger Talk. Take that to the bank, Mark, print it, put it on social media.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh right, okay, so David, I'm from Sherman Oaks, but I've got the game also and was great.
Speaker 9: And by the way, I did predict.
Speaker 11: That yam Mamato will go five innings exactly.
Speaker 7: But not that he would give up zero runs.
Speaker 9: That was a big shock.
Speaker 7: So my question to you is you have.
Speaker 3: A friend that can validate that. Maybe they're in the car with you.
Speaker 12: No, they're not, unfortunately, Okay, Donald, we'll take your word for it.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 12: Okay, then, so my question is going forward.
Speaker 9: You know, in the next series.
Speaker 7: I don't think the Dodgers in count I went into many games with two runs.
Speaker 12: And four hits.
Speaker 7: So my question is about the lineup.
Speaker 5: Show Hey seems.
Speaker 7: To that better when there are men on date.
Speaker 9: Mostly true.
Speaker 5: As we know when he when he.
Speaker 7: Used to be leadoff, he was, he was great.
Speaker 6: He still is great lately, but he's always great to lead off.
Speaker 7: Would it not be possible for Dave to shuffle the lineup a little bit? Move show Hey downs a third or fourth, have Bets lead off, which he used to do great, so that there'd be a better chance of men on base, and show Hey maybe batting a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Mark. I'll just say I'm a big believer in large sample sizes. And during the regular season, Mookie Betts was a three eighty hitter with runners in scoring position. Mookie Bets joined us from the clubhouse. His confidence was down all time low this season. The first two games of the series that contributed to the numbers you're referring to. This is the postseason. Throw all of that out the window. His confidence is back, and let's not forget the Padres had some pretty good pitchers they were throwing at the Dodgers, including you Darvish twice, who has had the Dodger number ever since going to San Diego. I hate to break it to everybody. Sean Manaiah jose Kntana, are not you? Darvish, are not Dylan Cease rested? So I feel like the lineup is in a good spot.
Speaker 12: I see you. Thinks Show Hey, we'll wake up in a couple of games.
Speaker 2: I think Show Heo Tani will wake up because the level of pitching talent is not as great as it was in this series.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 12: All right, thank you so much for taking my call.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, thank you for the phone call. Look, Show Hey, Otani maybe getting a little bit bigger with his swing, but let's not forget Game one. He played a huge part in Game one and winning that game.
Speaker 3: So this is the playoffs.
Speaker 2: It's just trying to survive doing the little things that maybe don't show up at the end of a five game series. Otani hitting leadoff has worked ever since Mookie Bets went down. The Dodgers are not changing that. Let's go out to Ray, who is a Dodgers stadium tonight. Hi, Ray, you're on Dodger Talk with David Maasse.
Speaker 12: But they got this one and then the next.
Speaker 2: Ray, Ray, you're there? Who are you talking to?
Speaker 3: Ray?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 2: curR? Oh there we go, Hey, Ray, Why don't you finish that conversation. We're just on live radio at Dodgers Stadium after a big game five win.
Speaker 3: I mean, who were you talking to there?
Speaker 9: I was just talking to my mother right now. Man's gone head. Just get some food up, man.
Speaker 14: But I just want to say a big thanks to Dodgen Nation, man, just for believing, because we came in there and we electrified that place up.
Speaker 9: We lit that place up.
Speaker 14: Brother, From the time that I got there, the energy was up and going.
Speaker 5: Brother.
Speaker 9: And I tell you one thing, as soon as Ki can hit that home run, oh man, we were in it.
Speaker 5: We were in a day.
Speaker 9: We were in it.
Speaker 14: We were in it so much that to the point where we just we just couldn't get out. And I just wanted to them, just the whole stadium, just the whole just just the whole Dodgen Nations for believing.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 9: I know I had my debts with Roberts. You know, I'm not going to sit here and act like I was.
Speaker 14: One of the ones that were always, you know, favorite towards Robert's decisions.
Speaker 9: But I would tell you when he kept Ueler in that game, I need you to keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 14: From that point on and I have and I'm a believer now and I know my place, and I'm.
Speaker 9: Gonna sit here and just enjoyed this run. This this you know, just as rain, we don't give it up tonight.
Speaker 2: What's mama warming up for you over there? Ray?
Speaker 3: After coming to the game. What's she warming up for?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 9: We got so we got some lazagna over here. Man, I'm just trying to get my little toast and butter. Just get it buttered up before I get my lasagna going. And yeah, man's had to put my foot.
Speaker 5: In the crew.
Speaker 3: Lasagna. Tommy Lasorda would be proud.
Speaker 2: Ray, Yes, sir, all right, thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Padres tonight two to nothing. In case you're wondering who is the winning pitcher, it was Yoshi y I'm a Moto, pitching five scoreless innings, allowing just two hits, and those were the only two hits the Padres had in the game. You darvish valliant effort, just no run support, and he made two mistakes, one two keyk Hernandez, the other two taoscar Hernandez. Key K's home run was in the second inning Taoscars. In the seventh, Blake Trining with his second save of the season. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when't we continue more of your phone calls.
Speaker 3: We'll also check in.
Speaker 2: With Jose Mota and we'll relift some of those celebration interviews as well. Dodgers are headed to the NLCS Game one Dodgers Mets at Dodgers Stadium right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports at five fifteen. You're home four the nl West champion Dodgers. Sorry, Sad diego.
Speaker 15: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with.
Speaker 13: David Bassai, Darbage Deals, key K Swings had said high in the here.
Speaker 16: Dave left Bill take a fop for that and put the Dodgers up. Keith Gay Hernandez both season player one, nothing.
Speaker 2: An old, no doubt Keith K a Hernandez was going to have an impact on this series. All he needed was an opportunity. He got back to back starts and certainly had a huge opportunity to bring the Dodgers back from a two games to one deficit to lead them to the NLCS after a game five victory to nothing shut out win. It was both hernandez is on the Dodgers that went deep for them tonight. Off of you Darvish Keith k in the second inning and Taoscar Hernandez in.
Speaker 3: The seventh inning.
Speaker 2: Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream. We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment. But here was Taoscar Hernandez celebrating the Dodgers advancing to the NLCS.
Speaker 3: Oh the heart and soul of the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: He showed up strong tonight again, ta Oscar, how much does this one mean to you?
Speaker 3: Mental lot?
Speaker 17: You know, I believe you seem us special groups from the beginning from Sindranis and we know from the beginning that we're gonna live. We're doing a special.
Speaker 18: Teams this year.
Speaker 2: The Grand Slam you hit even though you lost that game, what was the message you sent to each other?
Speaker 18: We got confidence in each other. We thrust each other.
Speaker 17: We know if we can put together from the winning of the game, and then the pictures give him the time who sports.
Speaker 3: On runs something? What's gonna happen? And we'll show in the last two games, how much do you believe?
Speaker 2: And did you feel this team heeded you needed what you bring, needed your fight to be able to push through and come back in this series.
Speaker 17: It's not only me, you know, He's gonna take a little bit on everybody here. I'm just gonna be here trying to support my teammates, trying to bring everything that I got so they can be better and.
Speaker 3: So we can perform really good in the field if you take us through your emotions.
Speaker 2: And when he threw the sunflower seed to keyk Hernandez tonight.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, unbelievable.
Speaker 17: He told me before the game that we me and him I were going to go yard this game, and we did. And the most important is that we give the Dodgers the winner.
Speaker 3: How late you're gonna party tonight? How long are you gonna party tonight.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 17: We gotta we need the rest for Sunday, So we're gonna enjoy this moment and then we'll go home rest and then come back.
Speaker 2: Strom Hey, best smile on the team. It's even better when it has Champagne all over that beard.
Speaker 3: There you go, you got it? Am I allowed to touch the beard?
Speaker 2: I go, oh, yeah, there he is Taoscar Hernandez. Oh yeah, you got to touch the magic beard of Teoscar Hernandez. Just an awesome guy and really showed the toughness and brought the toughness and the emotion The Dodgers needed something that was missing last year.
Speaker 3: Him Otani keik have really brought that.
Speaker 2: And of course Freddy would not be playing if he did not believe this team had a chance to do something special. Can't say enough about Freddie Freeman. Just an incredible effort by him to be out there for four of these five games. Eight six, six, seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers are headed to the NLCS to take on the New York Mets. Game one on Sunday here at Dodgers Stadium, First pitch at five fifteen and the Dodgers and Mets have faced each other in the postseason three different times. Of course, one of my favorite Dodger teams the nineteen eighty eight Dodgers, beating the Mighty Mets in seven games in the NLCS. That year two thousand and six, the Mets swept the Dodgers. That was the year JD Drew and Jeff Kent were thrown out at home plate simultaneously, basically Joe Bimel cutting his finger in Times Square somewhere. Twenty fifteen, the Dodgers fell to the Mets three games to do in Game five of the NLDS where Daniel Murphy hit that two run home run wrap around down the right field line against Zach Grienk. So this will be the fourth time the Mets and Dodgers have faced each other in the postseason. And I will say this, the Mets they got something going on. They have something special going on. When the Dodgers all the Mets in the middle of the year, I mean, everybody in New York and Queens was saying, ah, this team is not very good. We're not going very far. But since then, since the end of May, when the Dodgers swept the Mets in that three game series.
Speaker 3: Including that doubleheader.
Speaker 2: Something has changed and they have something special. They believe in each other. They've come up with a lot of timely big hits. But I just feel like the Dodgers have too much talent. And that's that's what I felt going into the postseason with this Dodger team. They were going to out talent the teams that they were going to face to advance, and the Mets have a great team. Francisco Lindors had a great run here. But I just feel like the Dodgers have too much for the Mets, and unfortunately for those miracle Mets of twenty twenty four, I don't believe it's continuing. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Frez No. Joey, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Joey.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great.
Speaker 19: David, We're going to the NLCS, And I just want to remind you, because you forgot it yesterday or the night before that you have to go back to twenty twenty one, when Albert Pulos was repeating the Apollo Creed Dodger Talk mantra that there is.
Speaker 5: No tomorrow, and boy, there was no tomorrow, and they took care of business.
Speaker 8: And you almost have to think.
Speaker 19: David, and remember that Kik is very kobeesque. He had ice water in his veins and he carried the Dodgers in the first inning. Don't forget that they said the job wasn't done. It's still not done, but we passed the stupid Padres. David, do you believe that the way that Dave coached tonight is the way that we're gonna look at the Mets series where our starters will only go through the lineup, maybe twice, and then the pin will come in and be lights out for us.
Speaker 2: That's a brand new series, Joey, a lot different. The Mets don't know the Dodgers as well as the Padres know them, so that's something that's in their favor. But let's see what the Tonas said from the first two starters, Jack Flaherty and Walker Bueller. There is going to be a sense of urgency from Dave Roberts. As you heard in the postgame interviews, Joey, those relievers are dogs. They are one of the toughest relievers and toughest bullpen group I've been around with the Dodgers honestly, one of the best groups I've been around as far as the bullpen goes since twenty seventeen, So you know, they are ready to go. We don't know the status of Alex Vesia. He had to leave in the eighth inning, so hopefully he'll be on the NLDS or NLCS roster. That's something to look for as well. But thank you for the phone call, Joey appreciate it. Speaking of Dave Roberts, he deserves a lot of credit for the way he managed Game four and also to night in Game five.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, I'm elated, I'm tired, I'm happy. So yeah, I'm just excited. I'm proud of our guys. You know, this was we talked about this series. It was going to be it was going to test us, you know, and we fought. We didn't relent, not one time. And I just couldn't be more excited for this ball club.
Speaker 2: What can you say about Yellow Motors just setting the tone the end of.
Speaker 20: He set the tone, and you know, I think that you know, Yoshi's had a lot of success in his professional career. And I said it before, I mean he's pitching big ball games, and I believed in him. I knew he was going to rise to the occasion, and he was outstanding tonight, and I knew he wasn't going to run from this spot. And you know, I'm looking forward to riding them through the World Series.
Speaker 19: Bill back right, Yeah, Dave.
Speaker 13: You finished the series with twenty four sion kative scoreless innings.
Speaker 7: How perfect does the pitching plan have to go for that to happen?
Speaker 20: Well, I think Bill, it's about the players. The players were outstanding. The guys from the twenty four to twenty six innings. You know, when you call a number, call a name, it's up to those guys to go out there and perform. And I give all of the credit to those guys. And you can have whatever plan or script people can talk about, but it comes down to the players, and those guys made plays, made pitches and made us all look good. And from Yoshi today to the bullpen, I mean, if you're talking about the series, MVP, it's our bullpen clearly, and so I'm just I'm so excited for those guys. And Josh Bart's done a fantastic job with the entire bullpen.
Speaker 16: Russell on the right time, Dave, You've managed a lot of games and played in a lot of games that had a lot of meaning.
Speaker 21: Where does the series rank, just in terms of the intensity that you've been a part of.
Speaker 20: I'll tell you this, Rivals. You know you asked me the question Russ It rivals two thousand and four when we beat the Yankees, when I was a player with the Red Sox, it rivals, beating the Braves in twenty twenty to get to the World Series, those are probably this is right there with it. I mean, you're talking about one of the best teams in baseball over there, and Mike and his staff did a great job preparing those guys, and it was a dogfight, and I got nothing but respect for those guys over there. But to kind of win this series, how we did, to kind of fall behind, and those guys coming into the postseason had a lot of momentum, speaks to the character of our guys. So this is up right up there, all.
Speaker 2: Right, there's manager Dave Roberts. I think he said it perfectly. What a game for Dave Roberts, What a series for Dave Roberts, What a series? Were those Dodger relievers twenty six innings. The last twenty six innings of this series, the Padres did not score eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Your Dodgers are headed to the NLCS to take on the New York Mets after shutting out the Padres in Game five. Here at Dodger Stadium. Tonight, let's head out to our man, Jose Moda. It's time to go around the horn with Jose Moda.
Speaker 3: Jose Mota. What a series? What a game?
Speaker 2: Yamamoto really showed a lot to all of us tonight.
Speaker 13: Yoshi Yamamoto wanted this challenge. I spoke with people close to him, and he wanted to take the baseball again, Dave. But he knew that, you know that, remember the switch seru that happened before the series started. He knew exactly what he was getting pried for. And there's no doubt in my mind that even though he was you know, honestly, we all have doubts about it, there's no doubt about it because the Padres are the one team that just made life impossible against them, especially early innings.
Speaker 12: But I do.
Speaker 13: Welcome a supreme athlete. That says, I don't care what's happened in the past. I want the baseball. And I'll tell you one thing. Managers, coaches, fans, everybody can read their eyes and go, he's not kidding.
Speaker 5: He wants a baseball ball.
Speaker 13: Tonight he showed what he is a premier pitcher when you.
Speaker 2: Look at Key k Hernandez OSEI we talked about it. He needed an opportunity to make a difference, and boy did he not only tonight but in Game four as well. What can you say about a player like Keith a Hernandez.
Speaker 13: First thing I can say is you have to value guys that understand what their role is. You have to value guys and be patient because if they've done it before, that means it's in them. And I think for k k Hernandez, going out and getting somebody like that is not a test anymore. It's not an evaluation. You knew exactly what is going to bring because he can like situations like this. And on top of that too is you know, Kik told me this last year in September. I remember this, I said, where do you get this?
Speaker 2: You know, the cold blood and then.
Speaker 13: The slow heartbeat for these things he goes, Puerto Rico. When I was a youngster, the things that I heard in tournaments from parents from the other side got me ready to be ready for anything pretty much on the big league level. He goes, I'm telling you that's that's my roost about that. But I think they've also we cannot overlook the amount of work these guys put in with the coaches, because remember, the guys that don't play every day have to do so much more work to stay in tune with the game. First of all, mentally, they have to have the right support from people around them, not just egging. And I'm to say, hey, how come you're not playing because you don't want to hear that. You want to hear from guys say hey, when your time comes, we're gonna support. You're gonna be ready. And then Dave Roberts is a manager of that because he played the game and he was one of those guys was sometimes on the verge of being just being a bench guy. He knows how to keep these guys in tune. There's many times when people question the lineup, say why does the guy play today? Because these guys need to be effective and ready when the time is called, and here we have a key kick coming through once again.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us. After the Dodgers defeat the Padres two to nothing in the NLCS, how do you explain the Dodgers holding the Padres scoreless after that six run second inning in Game three of the NLDS.
Speaker 13: Jose, Well, little divine touch. But overall, I mean between the white lines we do is perform and you execute, and you look at the quality of the pitches they made, and then the amount of pitches they made to get these very good hitters out. A team that does not strike out, I really understand, you know, Mark Parr and Cretorr McGinnis have the ability to not just go out there and tweak a grip and give you an ideas of how to tunnel of baseball and things like that. But I think on the mental side is if there's a team on the other side does not strike have a lot, why would you look for strikeouts when all they're gonna do is wear you out. Go back and look at the amount of pitches made by the believers, going back to the shut in San Diego to tonight, and you'll see that the number one thing that was on their minds was quality pitches, and then you feed off for that. The next guy sees that and says, hey, I know this. The swingmans might not be there. The striker is not going to be there, So let me go out there and just perform and make good pitches. So instead of I always said, instead of making your pitches better, make better pitches. And that's exactly the formula they use here, going back to a couple of games into tonight. Because guys like that, the machados and profars, they're very dangerous. They feed out for each other. Jackson Maryland Company and one of the toughest houses Stander Bollguards for some reason. But peice the quality of the pitches they made against the early incounts and later incounts, and why there was a lot of weak contact left couple of nights.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose Mota can't wait.
Speaker 2: Your dad was the first base coach for the nineteen eighty eight Dodgers that beat the Mets in a seven game NLCS. Look forward to seeing you and your dad out here on Sunday night for game one of the twenty twenty four nlcsy.
Speaker 13: It's going to be exciting and once again. I want to give it the Dogar fans once again showing up and doing the right saying supporting their team and knowing that there's going to be more.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right there, he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers radio broadcast. He is absolutely right. This place was rocking from the first pitch on. It felt like a World Series game. And quite honestly, coming to the stadium today yesterday, the anticipation, you could feel it in the city. How everybody was so excited, maybe nervous about this game. It did feel like this was a World Series Game seven vibe, even though it wasn't. It had that feeling. You know, my kids their school today had Dodger Day. They wanted all the kids to show up and Dodger shirts and hats, whatever they wanted.
Speaker 3: So you felt that in the city.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you know it was hard for me to find some Dodger shirts for my kids to wear the school today. I know everybody is happy everywhere in La Hope. You're celebrating safely because the Dodgers job is not done. They got Game one of the NLCS on Sunday. They'll enjoy this and then refocus because they know they have to slow down.
Speaker 3: A magic Mets team.
Speaker 2: Eight six six, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Pico Union District. Edward, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, whate man, Thank you for having me appreciate that. So I feel that this team has something really going on. They're a bunch of grinders, you know. I should I feel they should take like playing small ball, bunting, getting bases on, just so like that you can get a little bit of rhythms and get some confidence.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, hold on, Edward, hold up right there with the bunting and the small ball. Seventeen of the dodgers twenty five runs in this series was via the home run, Edward.
Speaker 3: That's who they are.
Speaker 5: That's a fact.
Speaker 2: That's a fact, you know.
Speaker 5: But yet again, the Mets are not san Diego. That's by far.
Speaker 2: You're right, they're not San Diego. They are not san Diego. That's my whole point. They are not san Diego.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to give credit to the Mets. They're gonna get a game or two, you know, but the boss say, we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Come thinking they're getting one game, Edward in New York. They're not winning a game in LA. I could promise you that.
Speaker 5: Of course not, you know, the professional I'm just saying, I know you.
Speaker 2: You ca Hey, it's a great night. I want to celebrate it with you. But I'm glad I just brought it to your attention that seventeen of the dodgers twenty five runs in this series was via home run. All right, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The only two runs the Dodgers scored tonight were off solo home runs Keith A. Hernandez and Tioscar Hernandez. What you can do is string together a couple of hits, get on base with the walk, and then set the table for these guys. But make no mistake about it, you do have to have the capability to be able to hit the ball out of the ballpark. It changes everything. The Mets advanced to the NLCS because Francisco Lindor hit a Grand Slam. So I know we all love the bunt and small ball and all that, but that's a little extreme. And by the way, the Dodgers are probably the only team because I haven't watched every inning of every postseason game. I'm pretty safe in saying the Dodgers may be the only team in the postseason this year that laid down a safety squeeze bunt to score a run. I don't think the Yankees are doing that. I'm certain the Phillies did not try to do that. So let's just understand the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Are a complete team.
Speaker 2: They are a complete lineup, and that's why they will be too much for the Mets. Let's go out to Junior, my guy, Junior, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight.
Speaker 3: Hi, Junior, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 22: Yeah, Sarta, thank you for taking my call. I'm super stoked.
Speaker 2: Like they not like us, No they not.
Speaker 22: Heck no, not even close. I want to give a big toss to Yamamoto, not just with the dealing on the pitching, but also the way he had Freddie Freeman's back covering the base room so he wouldn't have to run so much. A great overall win. I'm glad for the Hernandez boys. Uh you know, they're the like positive Sparks bug of the team. And God, we're going all the way and Karma is a brother. All that trash talking by Tatis and this and that, and actions speak louder than words. Karma. Padres quit tonight.
Speaker 2: They quit tonight. You saw quit in the Padres after all their talk, they quit.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 22: All that dancing, all that tongue stuff, that don't mean nothing. It's all about the game. You could have the season series, we'll take the playoffs.
Speaker 2: No or thank you for the phone call appreciated eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. You know, Fox Sports panned into the Padres dugout. They look like the bully that got punched in the mouth when you stand up to a bully. They backed down and they were a lot of talk, a lot of emotion, and rightfully so they were. They are a very emotional team. But they were in their own head. They knew they hadn't scored. They knew they were underwater with their offense. They hadn't scored since the second inning of Game three. You don't believe they were asked about that. It was in their head. And then you see Fernando Tatis Junior hiding in the dugout.
Speaker 3: You know he wasn't top step in it.
Speaker 2: And it was only a one nothing game at that point in time when I saw Fox up pan to him. So, you know, I just feel like they quit. One guy that did not quit all series long and is not going to quit all October is the guy with the severe sprained right ankle, Freddie Freeman, who started four of these five games and was not just out there, he was contributing in a big way. In his presence in the lineup was huge. If you had to say one Dodger inspired the rest of the team, Freddie Freeman would be at the top of that list.
Speaker 3: Here was Freddy in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Oh here, he is one of the most inspirational players this season in Major League Baseball. Everything Freddie Freeman has gone through with the right middle finger, the right ankle, and of course everything that you fought and Max Freeman had fought through Freddie.
Speaker 3: How sweet is it?
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's pretty sweet. I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 18: Obviously it's been long a few months for our.
Speaker 23: Family, but give it like I did. After the Game of Love day we had a neurology appointment. Max was just really excited about his progress.
Speaker 18: So things are going really well.
Speaker 23: And to come out here the next day and much of the series.
Speaker 18: Uh, pretty such.
Speaker 2: There wasn't much doubt you were going to find a way to play tonight, right, Yeah.
Speaker 23: I mean it was a little touch and go for a second. I had trouble covering first base and my pregame warmups.
Speaker 18: That was my last little hurdle.
Speaker 23: So after that, I actually went into the bull fen and practice trying to cover the base like in different ways, and I was able to find.
Speaker 18: A route and a placement on my foot.
Speaker 23: And after that, I walked straight to the doc's office, said I can go so about Brown, but probably three thirty.
Speaker 18: I was for sure in this movie.
Speaker 2: This was all organic. This is who you are. Could you feel like you inspired your team?
Speaker 23: I don't know, you know, I just I wanted to be out there in this situation with them.
Speaker 18: They gave me the opportunity to be able to get back at.
Speaker 23: For Game five. In game four after the heck of a game they played. You know, I really fought hard yesterday and the off day with the treatment and trying to get it to a spot where I could play. It's it's hard. It seems to not be going down to get more and more scrolling as I play on it, which is kind of to be expected, but I'm just appreciated being able to let me go out there and playing a game.
Speaker 18: Five and able to at least contribute today.
Speaker 2: Freddie, you've been part of the last two years of disappointment. How sweet is this for you and the rest of the group of guys that were able to come through.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I mean when you get into the situation, you really can't think about the last couple years. You've just got to focus on now. And I think we did a really good job of that. A lot of new guys that weren't a part of those two disappointments, so no reason for the guys that I've been around to put that on them either.
Speaker 18: So I thought we did a really good job.
Speaker 23: I mean, all this in star our bullpen and our pitching staff twenty four went straight endings, absolutely incredible, just been in a big first step for us.
Speaker 2: How big was your bullpen? And when did this series turn? Was it Walker Buehler hanging in there for five? Was it tails Grand Slam?
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 18: I think you can point pin point to a lot of things.
Speaker 23: I thought, just how we came out in Game four, I'm right off the bat, Mookie getting.
Speaker 18: Going even though we lost in Game three, seeing who could get that Homer, I think that was huge for him.
Speaker 23: Just there's so many things we could pinpoint to what potentially could have turned this series. I just thought the energy in our game we played in Game four was absolutely mad, just magnificent.
Speaker 18: So just overall leave the last two. The fights that we put up the last couple of games was awesome.
Speaker 2: There's Freddy Freeman and you'll be able to hear all of our postgame interviews on the iHeartRadio app when we sign off ta Oscar Hernandez, Mookie Bets, Freddie Freeman, Key k Hernandez oh Man. It was Max Munsey and Miguel Rojas and Brent Honeywell that got us the best while we were doing that interview. It's already gone viral, so I'm sure you've seen it. But I just can't thank those guys enough for being as inclusive with me as they are.
Speaker 3: It's really special.
Speaker 2: And look, I wouldn't have said and wouldn't have been as strong about having Key k Hernandez being in the starting lineup if I didn't believe it. And I'm just happy, David, I don't make the line they don't listen to me. It was apparent they needed key Hernandez in this lineup, and hopefully it continues the rest of the way. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. And Walker Bueler. I know he gave up six runs in that Game three, but him throwing that cooler meant a lot from what I was told as far as just setting the tone for the rest of the series for the team and really helping the Dodgers be able to set up that bullpen game in Game four. But you know, I'm sure he wants to pitch better than giving up six runs when he makes his start in the NLCS, and I have no doubts he will. Let's go out to the desert, Eric, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 21: Eric DV Thank you for taking my call as the unofficial president of the Arizona Dodgers Fan Club. I just want to say thank you for being positive about the Dodgers' chances for game because, to be honest with you, Dave, me and my buddy right here, my childhood friend and our kids, we weren't very positive about what was happening, but it was so fresh to see them do shut them down with a pitching shut them down with a bullpen, and just take the win overall, and we're excited about what's gonna happen with the NLCS. I'm moving forward, David.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should be electric.
Speaker 2: Eric. Can you imagine a Dodgers Yankees world series? I know that's way far ahead, but Dodgers Mets will be electric. But everybody is anticipating the Dodgers and Yankees finding a way to get through their championship series and play each other.
Speaker 21: And that's what I'm hoping for, supposed to get through the meds and to ultimately play the Yankees in a world series that is the ultimate matchup, and it.
Speaker 2: Would be epic. It would be epic. I think Andre Ethier might be the captain of the Dodgers fan club in Phoenix. But you're the chare eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers are headed to the NLCS. We are live at Dodgers Stadium until the top of the hour with Dodger Talk and you can podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app and listen and livestream games on the iHeartRadio app as well. Let's go out to Glaselle Park. Steven, you're on Dodger Talk. How are you doing, Steven.
Speaker 8: David, Let me touch my couple of points real fast so you don't get tired of me. Okay, Idea, First of all, this victory was so sweet. I think it has driven my blood sugar up to where I'm gonna have to take another shot. But so I want to just touch on Tommy Edmonds, which because I totally agree with what you said, which is absolutely the case with the Dodgers being a big stick team. But I did take note when Tommy was signed. I think you may have interviewed him, and I noticed his excitement to come on board with the Dodgers, and I think he's has mighted three or four times since he's been with a club.
Speaker 2: For he's a smart baseball player. He understands the situation and he executes it. And thank you for the phone call, Steven. Yeah, Tommy Edmund, you know what Andrew Friedman did at the trade deadline has played has paid huge dividends, not only the second half of the season, but already in the postseason. Tommy Edmund being versatile enough to start in center field and move into shortstop when was needed. Also, Michael Kopek. Where would the Dodgers be without Michael Kopek. He was dominant in this series. He's been dominant ever since the Dodgers acquired him. And Jack Flarerity, Jack Flarity. Where would the Rodgers b without another starting pitcher the caliber of Jack Flaherty. So you have to give a lot of credit to Andrew Friedman for being able to acquire those guys and really help the Dodgers get past the finish line and also help them out in this situation to give them reinforcements for a postseason run. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. It wouldn't be a clinching series show without the ultimate la Man. Whenever the bright lights are there, he finds a way to shine as well. Our very own Victor Brig Jacob wants to chime in from Parts unknown, Vic, what a game, what a series for the azoul.
Speaker 24: Bless you, David Vassy and Dodger fans.
Speaker 8: That's feeling you see say play day.
Speaker 24: Yes they can remember the so called experts. We'll pick in the San Diego Padres underres. The mue local fury of this Dodger club. AZUL imposed their will and dv We both nailed it. We both predicted Azul and five. You picked brothers, You.
Speaker 3: Picked the Dodgers. That's shocking.
Speaker 24: It's a different vibe on this club. The fighting Hernandez Brothers, Los hamonos Lo, Los Hermonas, Los Brothers, Kik and Taasca going deep on Darvish Yamamoto five scoreless, fueled by my beloved bride, You go Sakamoto. She believes in Yoshi. Before the game, she sent her crazy energy to Yamamoto tonight. Is he a bargain at three hundred and twenty five million dollars? Yes, he is another bargain for Andrew Friedman. Yammoto was just unbelievable tonight. Who know he would step up like this? But again with his countrymen, Hugh Darvish, he was electric. His stuff was untouchable. And the bullpen. Your MVPs of this NLDS is a bullpen. Twenty six straight scoreless innings. That's mind blowing stuff. Phillips the five outs, Vesia comes in Strike South, Meryl Copeck, the Furious eighth Blake, Trina the ultimate save. Darvish. He pitched deep, but he couldn't stop kick, and he couldn't stop the way of Tay Taoscar did this and I wanted to say, they couldn't stop you, David By say in the postgame locker room your finest work. Ever, how you came back after getting soaked and really you were reeling from the champagne, and you came back and you still got the interviews and there was unbelievable with you were with ta Oscar and you said can I touch your beard? And he said yes, and it was magical. And then with Loki you touched his beard.
Speaker 8: It was magical.
Speaker 2: Thank you min.
Speaker 24: We just told Mok it was so love had Dodge you said to Mookie, you're looking at yourself in the mirror.
Speaker 8: You were pumping up Mookie.
Speaker 24: Don't sell yourself short, David, I say, your energy permeates this ball club, Dodgers fans, Dodgers in six over the amazing mets.
Speaker 2: I feeling you, feeling you, Victor Brick.
Speaker 3: I am pumped up.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for Game one of the NLCS right now.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Victor Brick for all the love.
Speaker 2: The Corazone The Passion eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers are headed to the NLCS. Victor Brick is pumped, LA is pumped LA New York. You couldn't ask for anything more. Let's go out to Corona, Jason. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Jason, Let's see you follow that up.
Speaker 15: Hey, Dave, I cannot follow Victor Brick, you know. To tell you the truth, I'm insulted that we didn't get a Dodgers playoff. Haikup, we didn't get that. But it's great to hear Vic. And you know, I got to tell you this is a gritty Dodger team. It's a different Dodger team than in years past. And what I wanted to tell you was how I thought the turnaround of this series was the bullpen game. We always shake our heads, oh god, a bullpen game, But you know what, the Dodgers' bullpen is so deep and so good, keeping the padres off their feet, keeping the timing off, just mowing them down one after another, generating out after out. I almost thought we should have gone into a bullpen game tonight. Of course, I'm glad it turned out the way it did, But what did you think of that?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I wasn't buying that because it's hard to duplicate what the Dodgers did in Game four. Even the Dodgers realized that you needed a solid start from Yamamoto, and also the residual effect of all that is you were able to get five innings out of your starter. So now with one day off before game one of the NLCS, that vaunted bullpen you're describing is ready to go for the NLCS. Thanks for the phone call, Jason. We did get word about Alex Vesia, who had to come out of this game as he was warming up for the seventh inning when Michael Kopek had to come in and face Jackson Merrill right there.
Speaker 3: Actually it was in the eighth inning.
Speaker 2: As Vessia was warming up to come back out for the eighth inning, boguards per Alta and Croninworth were due up and Vesia called the trainer out and Dave Roberts out had to leave the game. Alex Vessia told reporters after the game he felt cramping on his right side and that's why he called out the trainer. So that's good news that it's not more severe than cramping. Michael Kopek then had to come in, got as much time as he needed to warm up because of an injury, and was able to retire Boguard's Peralta and Croninworth in order, striking out Jay Croninworth, who was a Dodger killer.
Speaker 3: By the way, during the.
Speaker 2: Regular season, Croninworth had like a five forty five batting average against the Dodgers in the regular season. He was a non factor in this series. Eight six, six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll take a couple of more calls before we say good night. I have to take this phone call because this Dodger fan only calls when the Dodgers lose. So this is a monumental phone call from Ken in Newport Beach. How you doing, Ken, I'm glad the phone worked on a night like time.
Speaker 12: I'm doing so good. You know I'm not the cigar store with a bunch of Padre fans. I will say that the plan that the front office, Dave Roberts had was one of the best plan's, most flawless plans I've ever seen.
Speaker 25: They plan who was going to go in each inning both the last game and again. It was flawless and amazing. And I'll tell you what my dream, because I grew up in New Jersey is to have a Dodger Yankee World Series. It will be the highest rated World Series of all time. And the way this pitching staff is and when you realize that Dodgers just beat one of the best teams in the second half of the season, the Padres, and they didn't get very much out of Otammi who at two eleven with ten strikeouts.
Speaker 12: It's amazing, amazing that they won this. And I put it on the Dave Roberts, the front office and the pitching coaches.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, hold on, let me just make sure I heard that correctly. Are you actually complimenting Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman?
Speaker 5: I certainly am, And I wow.
Speaker 2: Now I know the Dodgers are going to the World Series.
Speaker 12: Well, like I said, it was flawless, and they put them together and they deserve this victory and we are going to beat the Bets. And it's gonna be Yankees and Dodgers. My dreams since I was six years old, that would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Ken, Thanks for calling in appreciate it. We'll talk to you during the NLCS. We're gonna close out this show with Mookie Betts. We caught up with Mookie Bets, who got a lot of criticism for going for eight to start this NLDS, and he showed up in a big way to help the Dodgers come from behind in this series and win in five home runs in the first innings in Game three and Game four. Obviously the Dodgers came up a little short in Game three, but they fought and really sent a message to each other. And then Game four really set the tone to quiet pet Goo Park in that first inning hitting that home run. Here was Mooki after tonight's win.
Speaker 3: Hey, I reminded you.
Speaker 2: It was the season of Mookie Bets and here he is going to the NLCS again.
Speaker 3: How sweet is this, Bookie?
Speaker 18: It's great.
Speaker 26: Finally I got that monkey off our back, getting past the first step, and you know we got enough that tough challenge coming ahead of us.
Speaker 3: I'm I will enjoyed tonight for sure.
Speaker 2: You silenced a lot of critics the last three games of this series. Did you have to remind yourself you were Bookie Beds.
Speaker 26: I mean I didn't do it myself, but my teammates they really reminded me, really put a lot of confidence in me.
Speaker 18: I was down, man, I was down.
Speaker 26: I really, uh you know, I just want to help the team win and I know, uh am, I gonna do a little something I can help and it's gonna take I know it's gonna take.
Speaker 5: All of us.
Speaker 26: But the boys really did a great job and putting some more confidence in me. And I mean they really, they did all the work.
Speaker 21: I was just kind of.
Speaker 2: Hear when you say they whenever you do something big, home run, extra base head, you always give the love to the bullpen.
Speaker 3: How much love are you giving the bullpen tonight?
Speaker 2: I mean all of it?
Speaker 26: You know, they pretty much shut him down for about like what twenty innings or so twenty six innings. I mean, you can't really ask for anything better than that. I mean, I'm not, by no means wasn't easy, but they didn't make it that tough for us. So you know, we know again we got another series and that'll be tough, but I'm sure those boys will be.
Speaker 18: Ready to go.
Speaker 2: Bookie, before I let you go, your big brother, the guy that you ride and die with, Freddy Freeman, how much from an inspiration has he been to the entire team.
Speaker 26: I mean, you know, I think we uh it goes unnoticed, He goes unnoticed by everyone, but but on the outside because people don't know what Freddy goes through.
Speaker 5: But on the.
Speaker 26: Inside, we know how hard he fights, we know what he's going through, and we.
Speaker 18: Know how much he wants to win.
Speaker 26: And I can't really ask for a better leader, a better teammate, a better person than than Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: At all, I would include Mookie Bets.
Speaker 2: You are Mookie Bets and I can't wait to see Game one of the nlc us on Sunday. Mookie, thanks a lot and.
Speaker 3: Always great to see that smile.
Speaker 18: Thank you guys there.
Speaker 2: He is Mookie Betts, great guy and for those that think he doesn't care, couldn't be more wrong. This guy did everything in his power to try to get back on track. And I love that he fueled all the critics out there to really motivate him. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Look, Boston, New York get on their athletes, and those guys understand what the standard is and they usually respond.
Speaker 3: Mookie's no stranger to all that.
Speaker 2: And look, I think it's great when La sports fans hold their athletes accountable, and he responded. He responded to all those critics. I don't think anybody can question Mookie Bets, his determination, his desire to win. He's been telling me since spring training about redemption, wanting redemption, wanting to win another World Series ring after the way the last couple of years have gone down. And he certainly made a statement in this series, and so did the Dodgers. They have that text chain going on similar to the way they had it in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal. These days.
Speaker 2: It's a big deal to remind each other to keep the confidence high, and certainly it paid off for each for this Dodger team to hold each other accountable and not let any one of those guys just say, you know what, it's over. We're down two to one, it's over, we're down six to one, it's over. In years in the last two years they may have done that. Not this year, and even more special to get some payback on those padres that knock Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman and that team out of the postseason in twenty twenty two. So congratulations to all those guys, and certainly was a pleasure to watch them do their thing in five games, and certainly looking forward to the Dodgers taking down the Mets in the NLCS. I don't know why the Mets have been able to ride this magic carpet ride for as long as they have, but I feel like that dream is going to be ended in the NLCS by the Dodgers. But the Dodgers have got to show up and not take them lightly and not let down after an emotional series against the Padres. It kind of reminds me of the way the Dodgers were so emotional fighting the Giants going down the stretch in the twenty one regular season, playing the Giants beating them in a five game series, and they were physically and emotionally beat up. I will say the Dodgers have come out of this series a little bit cleaner than they did in that five game series against the Giants where the Braves just rolled over them. It feels different this year, and it feels like the Dodgers match up really well against the Mets. So looking forward to this series a seven game series, I'm picking Dodgers in five. Game one of the NLCS is Sunday at five point fifteen. Our coverage begins at four o'clock from Dodgers Stadium. Want to say thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios and his little cousin Willie is listening tonight, a big Dodger fan, so happy the Dodgers. Put a smile on your face, Cousin Willie and everybody else out there in La I felt it. The whole city was behind this team tonight. And look again, you have to give the Dodgers credit. They're a really good team. The Padres are a good team, yes, But for anybody to be nervous about this game, it only came down to what Yamamoto could do for the Dodgers, and he passed with flying colors, pitching five scoreless innings. So tip of the cap to Yamamoto. Also tip of the cat to Dwayne McDonald, who did an outstanding job again tonight during the celebration, during the broadcast and sticking with us through Dodger Talk. Thank you, Dwayne, and thank you for listening. Love the passion out there. If you want to relive tonight, you can do it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find all of the clubhouse celebration interviews. That'll do it for us tonight. We will talk to you Sunday when the Dodgers and Mets will square off to decide who will go to the World Series from the National League. Tonight, the Dodgers were victorious, shutting out the Padres two to nothing behind two solo home runs from Keike Hernandez, t Oscar Hernandez, the bullpen, Yamamoto, and you. We will talk to you on Sunday NLCS Game one. Dodgers Mets around the corner. Stay hot. We'll talk to you Sunday. See yas