Speaker 1: It's a Lapsed Van wrestling podcast special report. The Lapsed Fan presents The Complete Hull Cogan, a real American story brought to you by Garage Beach.
Speaker 2: Leaving Cocoa Beach, leaving Cape Canaveral Boss, leaving the rocket launching behind is Terry Bulay. Are you gonna miss Cocoa Beach?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, I'm always gonna miss Cocoa Beach, especially this time of year. I love a good hot cup of Cocoa Beach.
Speaker 2: Last time we were with you formally on the Complete Hull Cogan. Here in The Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast, the most exhaustive review of the life and times of Terry Boley you'll find anywhere. He was in Coco Beach for a year hiatus from the wrestling business with his pal from back in Tampa in the high school days at Leslie, and they were bouncing and bartending at the Anchor Club in Cocoa Beach and living the bachelor life and working out and hitting the weights hard and roiding and fucking. I mean, that's pretty much what was what happened right in drinking.
Speaker 3: Listen, all right, there's I mean, honestly, all those other things mattered but what mattered most fucking and did we or did we not.
Speaker 2: Confirm that Don the Dragon Wilson was outpacing them times three up in the attic.
Speaker 3: Oh, listen, listen that that was his attic. Okay, that was his attic. He did business up there, and and there was no there was no question about that. If you think we are there's nothing, there's nothing. There was nothing that they could possibly do to compete with the Dragon.
Speaker 2: I've told you this, but listeners of the Solar System may not have heard this yet. Of course, we presented a very proud to percent an interview with star of martial arts and action movies, Don the Dragon Wilson, who, of course, before becoming a Hollywood celebrity, worked with Hulko and Ned Leslie at the Anchor Club in Cocoa Beach and talk to us at Grant lengthen and very colorful detail without that experience. But I've told you what I had to when you said to him, well, as long as everybody was satisfied, and he was like, I hope the girls were satisfied. I was like, we don't have to do any more of these, really, I mean, he's not going to get much better than that.
Speaker 3: He that was that was actually the most with the most probably I was not expecting that reaction from him that at all, not at all. I don't think expect most of the way he reacted. I know, I know what, but you know, it was, like you tell, he was taking it back because like I would imagine someone like him would have said, fuck yeah, they were satisfy. No no, no, no, he was nervous.
Speaker 2: He's a truth teller, and that's why we were so proud to have him and what it would have blast and what a pleasure it was to color in a part of Terry Boulay's life that really has never talked about because he wasn't in the pro wrestling business.
Speaker 3: And that's which is kind of funny. You'd think at this point, you know, given that that pretty much everybody you know and their mom and my mom know about Hull Coogan's wrestling, you know, the time that he was wrestling, you'd think that that would be a more people more interested in in that part of it where he's not, where he's not wrestling. Yeah, Like I would want to know more at that point because that's because there comes a point where oftentimes if I if I like I've read, if I've watched a movie or something like that, and I want more, I will eventually. This is movies that are based on books. I eventually turned to the book because I'm like, I'm just not satisfied anymore with what the movie gave me. I need more than that. I need more, and and so I always turn to the book, and then I get more, and then I'm left feeling more satisfied than I was. And I'm able to I'm able to kind of fit into pieces that are not in the movie. But now that I know the book, you know, I can I can say, oh, okay, well that would have gone in here. I see there at this part in the movie, so they must be doing this and that minute, you know. So, so I'm just surprised that it's not more of a thing. Well, we took care of that, and we did. There'll be a little bit more to offer as it regards what was going down in Cocoa Beach and how it gave a direct tie back into the wrestling business for Hulk Hogan and indeed entree into the wrestling business for ed Leslie. As we go to Hulk Hogan's first Territory after emphasis emphasis on entree for sure.
Speaker 2: Andre the Giant coming to a ring near year because it's Alabama and the Gulf Coast Southeastern Territory as the first stop for who would become Terry the Hulk Boulder. We're still in the birth of Hulk Hogan phase of tchh Boss because he has yet to be named Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 3: That's so crazy.
Speaker 2: But as we'll get to we'll explain what else was happening in Coco Beach that we didn't talk about last time, that very much laid the foundation for him to become, to say the very least, a hulking figure to wrestling promoters down there, in particular promoter Ron Fuller and his booker Louie Tillette, who were really the first to run with the Hulk Cogan ball, as it were. And if you thought that we have turned over things you didn't know about Hulk Hogan up to this point, you ain't seen nothing yet because you I can't tell you how fucking excited I've been. Oh no, since I first understood all of this. To tell you, it's all in nineteen seventy nine. Yeah, this idea that like Hull Coogan slowly worked his way into the wrestling business, went to work for Vince Senior, and over several years chase Stadium and became this in Japan, became this top player. Every single thing that Hulk Cogan never did that was of consequence in his career. He did first in nineteen seventy nine in Alabama.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it was like the four month run.
Speaker 2: And almost nobody knew anything about the details of this, which again lap serendipity in full effect until Ron Fuller, the promoter down there, brother of Robert Fuller aka Pearl Robert Parker, Yes, came out with the podcast It's called The stud CA asked Jesus Christ, We've got to say, right off the top highest recommendation for no other reason than he is talking about a period of history that is so underdocumented, that so much a period of history, but a location, a territory, right, very small, very humble territory, so small it almost it almost confuses you as to like where it starts and ends. Think about Pensacola, Doti. I mean, that's the thing I couldn't even tell you. I couldn't even I couldn't even tell you one thing that I've ever learned about Alabama.
Speaker 3: Yep, in the state, not alone. I mean, well, right, I mean, I mean the territory I got you. Well, I know, I know, but it's funny you mentioned that because you know, over the summer. I forget if I even talked about this with you or not, but you know, we did one of one of my my wife's clients, wells a couple of clients were in shows one and well it was when I went to Saint Louis, So you know this, Yeah, when I went to Saint Louis and then all of a sudden, I was in Alabama for like an hour because we want to go see a show in Alabama. And so it was really like a very fucking funny like that. That's it. That's I've been to Alabama. I don't even never need to go again. We have had a longer than I have. I'm good, right exactly, That's just it. You know, I've been there. I was there for like five hours top.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm confident and saying if you had heard what we're about to talk about on this next leg of the joy would.
Speaker 3: Have gone for I would have gone for a jaunt.
Speaker 2: You would have had many pilgrimages in mind, because the things that Terry Bolea did for the first time in pro wrestling, in this little nook and cranny of the wrestling territorial system as it existed in nineteen seventy nine, boggles the mind. Can I just ask you, boss, what if I told you that in his first four or five months in the business he started the nWo in the Alabama Hulk Hogan challenged for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.
Speaker 3: What the fuck? What? What like the Icen's plate belt? Correct?
Speaker 2: What if I told you that the first ever Hulk Cogan under the Giant match took place in his first four months back in the business. I can't fucking handle that.
Speaker 3: That one. I can't That's not that's not fair. That's not fair. What if that's not fair? If I told you it's not fair? To flare the nineteen ninety three King of the Ring finish with the flash camera first happened in nineteen seventy nine in Alabama with him in the ring, Are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 2: Or the first time he carried someone in his arms like he did Miss Elizabeth on Saturday Night's Made Event in the end with macho man.
Speaker 3: To the back. He fucking he's been ripping. He's just been copying the same shit over and over again since day one. What have I told you? That?
Speaker 2: He ran into the inspiration for Hulkamania, the inspiration for cupping the ear, the inspiration for so many elements of what would come the Hulk Cogan character. And a wrestler by the name of Austin Idol who happened to come through coast when he was there. Jesus, it's all here, so we potentially did have a Hogan Austin match.
Speaker 3: Huh. Can somebody you could say that although he wasn't Hogan yet, that's true. Good point. It's all here and it's all beer. I I am. I don't know that. That's just too much for me.
Speaker 2: And thanks to your stellar work. The last time we were with you in the Complete Hulk Cogan, a very special available to all episode of Under the Cinemat and we looked at the television pilot, the hour and a half cinematic treatment of Louf for Riigno's Incredible Hulk. For a reason, because of the year that drops, it is absolutely correlated with a wrestling promoter getting a look at this Terry Ballet coming off the run in Cocoa Beach, hanging and banging at Whitey's, taking as much steroids as he could and saying, you know what, goddamn it, everyone's talking about the incredible Hulk and this louf for Urigno guy. We got a wrestling Hulk right here. And it's here in Alabama, here in the Gulf Coast that Terry Boley is first presented to the world as the Hulk. The Hulk folks here I am when Terry passes, thinking, oh my god, there's so many things that so gradually became true about this guy. You know, everyone saw it in the beginning. He did it all in the beginning. He showed his cards in the beginning. In terms of what working promoters off of each other.
Speaker 3: Wow, well, it's funny too, because everyone kind of it seems like, you know, if you're if you're smarter than most in terms of wrestling knowledge, you generally uh paid tribute to vern for doing the Hull Cogan thing, right, And what you're telling me is that that's bullshit.
Speaker 2: Well, he hul Comania wasn't running wild because remember he was not Hulk Hogan. Sure, but basically like all the Basically he had all the elements and then Vern just jacked it up. Basically, it's wrong to say that Vern saw Hulk Hogan and Hulk Cogan. It's accurate to say Ron Fuller and Louis to Lett saw Hulk Hogan and Hulkong because I think we open and shut the brisco Yes say that. I think we opened and shut the case and Eddie Graham and the Briscos, as much as the revisionist history plays into it, they did not see the biggest star in the history of the business when Terry Bully was getting shuffled around the territory with shit dates where he was basically losing more money than he was making because he was traveling so far as Super Destroyer under the hood and being put out there for the locker room's amusement because he didn't know how to go more than fifteen minutes without gassing.
Speaker 3: I think we.
Speaker 2: Brian Blair himself, who's incredibly diplomatic about stuff like this, did indeed do us the service when we talked to him recently in the complete Hulk Cogan of affirming that that was pretty much the case and pretty much how Terry Bulays upside in the professional business was viewed by those who quote unquote broke him in spectacular and it's all going to come back around. And all those motherfuckers who didn't see it and snickered behind his back and just saw him as some kind of whipping boy and some kind of tool or someone like a dusty who wanted to keep him away from the hesterly and pretend he wasn't worthy. This motherfucker is going to find a way to be undeniable as a drawing card in the smallest little area possible. You couldn't contain what this guy's charisma could do if you just leaned into letting him be the centerpiece of your company. We're off to the races. We are very much off to the races. So this is so exciting. I mean, even five years ago, a lot of the stuff we're about to convey to you about Terry Bully's first year in the business after the hiatus wouldn't be known and possible to anywhere near the degree of specificity if it weren't for Ron Fuller's podcast. Because before he did that, there's a com leete dearth of video footage. There's a complete lack of any real good, solid like newspaper coverage because it's such a small area. I mean, we're talking Dothan, Mobile, Montgomery, Pensacola, and that's pretty much it. That's pretty much the hilaria. Now, Ron Fuller also owned the Knoxville, Tennessee territory as well, but that was kind of separate and distinct, though he owned both of them. One was called Southeastern Gulf Coast, which is those Alabama cities I mentioned, and the other was called Southeastern Knoxville, which eventually went on to be the territory that Angela Pafo would buy into and take over and where Machu Man would get his got No sheltlog group. And what's a real thrill as as part of nineteen seventy nine and the Complete Hulk Coogan We're going to be built, tell the story about the famous Plan B tape, the Knoxville War. I bet you've never heard anything about this. I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. It's incredibly germane to where Hulk Cogan found himself, for Terry Bolea found himself in terms of like taking off in this territory, but at a time that the territory was just focused on other things, fighting for its battling an outlaw group that was trying to basically put them out of business and take the territory from Ron Fuller, and doing all kinds of things that you do in a territorial wrestling war of the seventies.
Speaker 3: So I I want to talk to somebody, Okay, I want to talk to somebody as you do. Who who was from you know, Alabama, watching wrestling in Alabama. Who saw Hogan versus Andre okay in Alabama, and and I want to ask them about what they thought when the w was promoting promoting it as being, you know, the first time ever. I want, I want to know. I need to I need that.
Speaker 2: I need it because it's so it's such a small area of the country. The television didn't even reach more than like four cities, right, maybe it was more than that, but as I've heard Ron Fuller describe it, I try to pay a clip attention as I could. That seemed to roughly be the coverage area. You're talking about a sliver of a sliver of a territory. Right when we think about you know, Crockett or Georgia or I mean, I know one person, I know one person from Alabama, one person, and there was no fucking way that they were watching wrestling. And it was because of that. In a lot of ways, it was because of that smallness and because of that sort of upstart nature of this of this part of the country. Under Ron Fuller, who had just bought in at a very young age, he became an owner of a territory pretty much younger than anybody ever have in the history of the NWA. He's forced to find and make new stars because there's just not a dearth of marketable guys there for him to really reliably draw crowds, and it's small enough territory that they can't really get a ton of reliable dates on the NBA Champion, which is always right, you know, a way to really make your year from a box office receipts perspective. So it's going to be so fascinating to not only talk about how Terry bollayup hits his stride in Alabama, but because of everything else that was going on in Alabama. It wasn't really appreciated at the time, and it wasn't really the sole focus of the decision makers and the power players in that area at the time, and how Hulk just sort of slipped. He just kind of you just kind of yed it out the back door. You see you later, And thanks for the memories. So it's all here, it's all beer, it's all garage beer.
Speaker 3: Leave the memories alone. We won't. In fact, we're gonna cop the top. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another premium brew brought to you by the only beer worthy of a dive, like the Complete hulll Cogan, because if you're gonna dive deep, you gotta open up the garage and our friends a garage Beer still proud sponsors of the Complete Hulk Cogan and all we do here at TLF. Garage Beer the fastest growing beer brand in the United States. We're talking crisp, we're talking crushable, brewed for good times, much like Terry Bully himself. Garage Beer No nonsense, four percent ABV lagger, just ninety five calories and three grams of carbs. Comes in two crowd favorite varieties, Classic and Lime. You can find their beer finder on their website Drink garage Beer dot com and just follow the ride their social channels. Follow the ride here on the Complete Hull Kogan they know that it's worth putting resources into getting to the bottom of Terry Boli's life story. They get it absolutely, And you know what, it's great fucking beer. All right, it's great fucking beer. I love it. Not joking around, not fucking around. I keep I keep it in my keep it in the keep it in my garage fridge, no joke, keep it in my garage fridge all the time.
Speaker 3: Now. I love it. And I mean, listen, I want to tell you thet They don't send it for me for free. They don't send us stuff. All right, I go out and buy it. I go there's, there's, there's, there are a couple stores in town. I go and get it because I love it that much. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that this comes, this comes deeply recommended in a lot of ways. I mean, folks in the solar system, like like Ray the other day was it was telling me his niece was talking about her boyfriend liking garage beer because the TLF sponsorship put them on the on the path, put them on the path, and they're they're they're scrounging around looking out on the West coast for where they can find this stuff. We're we're getting emails from members of the Solar System saying this is actually quite legit. Yeah, yeah, there's a reason they shared the stage, whether us at Punchline Filly at our wrestling at forty Live show, there's a reason. When we announced that we were going to lay down the definitive audio history of Hulkogan, they said, I got to be a part of this.
Speaker 3: Yeh.
Speaker 2: So if it's a real American story, it's a real American beer. And don't get a twisted that's garage beer, motherfucker's you damn PLS. Solar System members get it, and we'll continue popping the top on garage. Not only here in complete Hulk Cogan Boss, but what about our Patreon live calls. It's going to get quite busy. We're talking Survivors Series, We're talking John Cena's last match.
Speaker 3: Oh my god sakes, I mean fucking I know, I know, I mean listen, I gotta keep it. I gotta keep the fridge stocked because I'm gonna need it to get through these fucking shows.
Speaker 2: No question, And we encourage you to to match our energy in that regard. To close out a banner twenty twenty five here at tlf HQ, and we're really excited to welcome another new sponsor into the fold this time around. And it just continues to be serendipitous. It just continues to make all the sense in the world. If we're about to talk about how Terry Bowlay just hit the protein and other substances as hard as he had to to get as big as he needed to be undeniable in the wrestling business, doesn't it make sense that a new supplement company that has deep wrestling roots would turn to the co chairs and say, hey, I think this makes a lot of sense, folks. Yes, this episode lapsed fan and those going forward here in the complete hul Kogan brought to you by our new friends at livett L I B I T ladies and gentlemen, built on a simple idea, put the most proven performance ingredients in one system at the right doses, so you don't need a shelf full of supplements to train at a high level. And Boss, we know something about shelf life.
Speaker 3: We know all about the shelf, So this is the way I know all about it to.
Speaker 2: Dial in your nutrition this holiday season in a TLFL good way.
Speaker 3: A thing doll that in brother doll in that protein, doll in that nutrition. Du hang and bang, brother.
Speaker 2: Whether it's you hanging and banging or the workout fanatic in your life this holiday season, to support TLF and to do it the right way, you want to do it with our friends that livet Instead of piecing together pre workouts creating electrolytes amino acids from different brands, Live it brings together the ingredients with the strongest research behind them for building muscle and proving endurance, supporting hydration and maintaining energy. And your co chairs certainly are indefatigable in that category when it comes to casting until the job is done.
Speaker 3: Activate listens all right, you know you know very well, and you know you need supplements when you go so fucking hard. The story of Hulk supplements so fucking deep, and you don't finish, all right, until you're fucking done and you finish inside. How about that product Activate that sets the tone yes, before training with clinically supported ingredients for focus of blood flow, endurance and sustained energies. How about recover That product delivers what your body relies on afterward. We're talking about essential amino acids creating electrolylights and carbohydrates so you can rebuild muscles, stay hydrated, and actually benefit from the work you put in. It's a complete clean system designed by doctors, brother and former wrestlers. We're talking, you know, if you want to talk about the Bob Roops and the Jack and Jerry Briscoes of the world up with the hero maat suit Is of the world, we wouldn't get into that time period where shooters were still shooters and hookers could still hook You're talking about a brand that starts the heritage of LIVET wrestlers who know the mat. I've talked to the folks there. It's for real. I need to ask you, though, is it an integrated conditioning program.
Speaker 2: It appears to be integrated. Yes, love it where I stand it. I'm prepared to endorse it as integrated. It's a complete clean system designed by doctors and former wrestlers who want formulas based on real evidence, not trends. If you're looking for performance, recovery and value in one place, Live It gives you all of it in one system, just as the Lapsed Fan gives you all of it in one podcast. Visit Livit Nation, l I v T nation dot com and folks, you got to use the promo code lapsed. You know the fucking story by now, Yes, you know how value exchange works. You understand that the concept of conversion and podcast advertising. Your co chair is gonna lay it down, not sneaking things in. We'll letting you know here it is. They want a piece of our ad of our fucking action, and we want a piece of theirs. Make it happen. It's a beautiful thing. Promo code lapsed. You're gonna get five percent off of your order of livet products livetnation dot com promo code lapsed, five percent off Ringing the Holidays, Pumping and Grinding Brother with the Tea lef for proof supplementation, and Boss Patreon's Rocking. I don't send them that's rocking.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, we.
Speaker 2: Gave it to you for free this time because it just is too central and too seminal to the holkuaging story, the incredible Hulk under this.
Speaker 3: It needed to it needed to happen. Listen. I I, like I said, like I said before, I was actually uh uh a little disupp it to myself for not really you know, for not not considering that to begin with, Like to me that like, I didn't even have that on the list, but of course it makes absolute sense, and I am I'm so thrilled that you, uh, that you sprung it on me to do that, because it needed to be done. It absolutely needed to be done.
Speaker 2: What surprised you coming away all the work you did understanding Luigo and what the whole character was really it, It was what surprised me was actually.
Speaker 3: The the the the serendipity in terms of the people involved and Hull Cogan and how we kind of as we were going through it, we realized how similar some of these lives were to Hull Cogan's and how you know, there was a lot of stuff that that almost seemed like Hogan maybe lifted it from Luf Forigno from resolutely from his past. You know, it made me question the history that we know, even more so than for.
Speaker 2: Those who haven't had the chance to listen. What jumps to your mind first in that regard the the childhood stuff, the childhood stuff and the story about uh being I mean, really about being this this this wimp. You know, they keep talking about Louf Forarno being a whim, but yet he's he's an athlete and he's playing baseball and he's a slugger and stuff like that, and it kind of it made me think of obviously the baseball with Hogan, but also made me think about how Hogan kept talking about how he was this this shy, non athletic guy, but yet he played sports. So it's just like, well, wait a minute, what how do you like I don't understand that mentality. But you know this and also too, they they both they they they both adapt these this, this, these histories, you know, or adopt these histories that they've kind of not necessarily that they're completely untrue, but that they've.
Speaker 3: They've kind of tweaked you know, here and there and kind of like, you know, well, if I say this, it actually makes the story sound a little bit better and not necessarily completely true, not completely false, but it it it helps, it helps their image and their story better if it's told a little different and you know a little bit more in this particular way.
Speaker 2: How much k Fee is involved in Pumping Iron the movie exactly. Lugno first came into the public consciousness next to Arnold Schwarzenegger and just the way his dad was like not knew nothing about bodybuilding, but had to pretend to know about bodybuilding because that's what the producers wanted. It was an overbearing dad. And then just hearing about the parallels of Lufrigno's life in Hulkogan's life and stan Lee as as Vince McMahon to the character or oh, just amazing, just amazing, and the fact that of course these streams would very much.
Speaker 3: And that's the same too. The history is the stan Lee's history is also put in a question, you know, you know, in terms of what's real and what's not. I mean, it's all it all, it's it's the same, it's the same thing, same you know, shame, same shit, different toilet based on Bruce Banner aka David Banner as they call him for some reason, bullshit on the TV series as Terry Blea. And you've got exactly credible hull his hull Cogan right right, and he hulks up and the shirt ripping, and it's oh, there was so much in there that I never even that I never even thought about, honestly, the posing all that shit, Like I was like, my god, like that really so much of of of Hulk Hogan was taken I'll say inspired loosely but definitely taken from The Incredible Hulk. And you know, wrestling fans, longtime Hulking maniacs, know, like at the end of the copyright screen of any WWF cassette tape or anything, it says copyright Marvel Comics. Oh, even even his Hasbro figure. God, all right, even his Hasbro figure had it. And we're not going to miss something on a Hasbro casing. No, not at all. And I always wondered, like, why the fuck does Marvel get credit on this thing.
Speaker 2: That's definitely a through line on the complete hul Cogan is how did this this intellectual property volley work between Terry Bullay and Marvel Comics and eventually the WWF, Because by the time we get to WrestleMania one and hul Cogan is on the tip of everybody's tongue and a mainstream American success story, they all of a sudden find themselves having to have some serious discussions with Marvel Comics around how this is going to work from a legal perspective. And it starts way before the hul Cogan and the WWF or even the hul Cogan and the WWWF that we talked about it starts here in Alabama, it starts in Memphis, his first territories where they're not they're not calling him Hulk Cogan that they are calling him straight up the Incredible Hulk. They are calling him.
Speaker 3: And the Hulk and and right or or you know, like if some of the news articles that I read on on the Cinemat episode would the you know, Wrestling's Hulk, Yes, they would call him, you know, the the the something, you know, both of his of his names around this time period, they they would call him the Hulk. It wasn't just Terry the Hulk Boulder, which surprised me. I think the Hulk Wrestling's Hulk, Sterling Golden was also equally surprising to me. Yeah, that's a collation he didn't think ever happened, never, never, not once. I think one of the surprises of this episode is going to be the revelation I think that Ron Fuller was calling him Sterling Golden before he was calling him Terry the Hulk Boulder. I can't, I can't. At least he.
Speaker 2: Was being called Sterling Golden by a manager that he had in the Gulf Coast territory, Terry Bully was and that actually served as part of the basis of why he turned babyface and became a babyface sensation there for the first time, was because he insisted on being called Terry the Hulk Boulder and not Sterling Golden, which of course is a name he would go on to use later in nineteen seventy nine after leaving the Alabama territory and making his way for short lived and at Georgia Championship Wrestling at Sterling Golden all that to come first, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, and that's why fucking Jimmy Barnett would call him Sterling forever called fucking Sterling. The end of it, well well, well beyond, well beyond is that time to the end of his days?
Speaker 2: Sterling for sure. I love those blonde locks, no question about that. And you know, I think seventy nine, Okay, that's one episode. No, No, it's all in seventy nine. It is all of the raw material, all of the launch points for everything that came to, all the smack material material, it's all very much there, and we're just going to get started and we're just going to plow through it like you know we can, and you know we need to. We're put on Earth to do this. We're put on Earth for the shelf life, not for the now, but for the future. Because you know, you got to think of it as people talk about what would alien life forms think when they landed on this planet and saw, you know, a vestige of humanity left behind. What would they turn to? That's a word that that's the exercise we're engaged in. We want to leave something behind that the aliens in the future can listen to and understand. Oh, so this is what pro wrestling was. This is why people were obsessed with this home Cogan. That's where our vision is. It's not on the here and now and the wants and needs of people addicted to junk food in the form of junk food podcasting co chairs are nourishing for the long term, and we're doing it hard, and we're doing it straightforward, and we're doing it in no small part because folks like you contribute on Patreon and say, here's fuel for the engine. I mean, we're getting a lot out of this that you actually deserve something instead of us just just sucking on free content all day. Like somehow the model that took hold in the past fifteen years finally being turned over and we were at the vanguard of that, and yeah, it all makes it worth it, and we give you so much more for your Patreon dollar. Of course, we mentioned that the live calls coming up under the cinema continues to pace Wrestle Mamia with the boss Man's Mom going back to the living room carpet Saturday morning vibes of your wrestling childhood. It's all very much there and rolling out in no small part thanks to our patrons and so many other members of the Solar System who participated. Soon to hit a podcast feed near you. It's the holiday season. It's the unwrapping.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes it is.
Speaker 2: No chairmen have gathered, We have opened to the gate. If Solar Systems store up on us, they are amazing, they are touching, they are strange, they are exciting. They are the Unwrappening twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: They are they they really do. They fit into that mold so much, so much. All those all those descriptions are completely accurate, and you co Cher is of course accurate.
Speaker 2: Part of gathering for the unwrapping hit the road for the last time is now, the lapsed time is now. As we were live in attendance, for John Cena's final wrestling appearance at the Ted Garden in Boston. We did a special podcast for you as part of that. Yes, also made possible by the fact that we had plans to get together the night before for the unwrappening and it just.
Speaker 3: Worked out beautifully. Yep, it did. It was perfect.
Speaker 2: We do know Solar System members still sending in gifts. They can't help it. Yes, yeah, no, there are still gifts coming in, so we will. You know, there could be some some remote some remote recordings for sure leading up to the big Christmas Day, but it is going to be uh you know, it's it's a it's in a wrapping, it's an it's an unwrappening for the ages without.
Speaker 3: A Dame, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's definitely gonna be the twenty five Days of Christmas, even more so this year around the Solar System, as we're proud to once again present the most beloved holiday tradition and alive podcasting, not just wrestling podcasting. I put it up against any tradition you'll ever hear of the en rapping. I agree, I agree, continues a pace. Your co chairs are the big fat thumbs up. The big fucking thumbs up and a lot of the material we're going to get through here a huge shout out to one of the most intrepid Solar System members I've ever encountered, Matt, who just has done so much gathering for us, and we're really going to be able to reap the fruits of that because we've got we've got the material we need to march chronologically through Hulk and with Gulf Coast. It's tough because, like I said, and this is you're going to be so frustrated by this by the time we're done with this part of his life. The lack of video that has survived, I mean, if you've seen the Clay, then we're gonna watch it of Hulk arm wrestling Andre in Alabama. It came out on a home video release called Wrestling Gold by Kit Parker Films in the late nineties. Part of you know, though the attitude era of videos that were flooding Fye and stuff. A lot of people saw this for the first time. It gave you this, this inkling, this this scintillating hint that there was a deep archive of all of this Gulf Coast television that no one knew how to find.
Speaker 3: No, it's nowhere.
Speaker 2: Run Fuller doesn't have stuff from what Hulk was there in nineteen seventy nine because.
Speaker 3: Everyone because you know, I mean, this is the travesty. That is travesty. Yes, that is professional wrestling probably you know pre uh, I don't know. I don't know when it really became a thing where people are like, you know, we get an archive of our shit. I mean, I know WWE was doing it forever, so I don't count them, but I mean in terms of general, like we need to archive our shit. I don't know when that started. But this is definitely not then. And we've heard it so many times that they just reused tapes. They wouldn't fucking record over their shit. They would not there, there was no there was no reason in their mind to archive this stuff. And it's it's a fucking travesty because you know, we need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's such a hand to mouth business back then, such a week to week Dog eat Dog, Survival of the Fittest, you know, yep, it's like it's a run. First thing we played you on the Complete Hull Code in the very first episode was him in confidence talking to those marketing guys about life is a series of runs. So if you think of your life as just a series of runs, and as soon as something hits, you're starting to think about how to exit, right with you with your fortune intact, right, that's the way your mind has been programmed to work, and how you've been programmed to think about earning money. Last thing you're going to think about is preserving the things you're doing, because it's on to the next hustle, it's onto the next territory, it's onto the next gimmick or whatever it might take to keep the money flowing. And yeah, it is true. The last thing you think about it is like, oh man, we really need to savor this. Fortunately for us. Ron Fuller is part of his studcast has detailed notes that he's able to refer to how all of the television played out leading through all of Terry Boulay's run, and he has after going back even further and he reads it, he reads it off in kind of a week two week fashion. It's it's a really it's kind of like the highest and best example of what to do with an old veteran wrestler who who's interested in doing a podcast like this is what you owe wrestling history is to just march through systematically and to give no fucks about anything but making sure it's all said and done. And we're the beneficiaries of that here in the complete Hull Cogan Because like I said, if Hulk died five years ago, wouldn't be able to do this part of his life like this, We wouldn't be able to do this incredibly seminal part of his wrestling career in wrestling development like this.
Speaker 3: But it's all there. I mean, we probably mightn't even is it safe to say that we mightn't even know that seventy nine is the is like the year we.
Speaker 2: Would know he had the matches he had because you know in his but we would we know all the stuff that you told, like in terms of rights discovering the whole Cogan attribute to the stuff like that. No, I don't think we'd appreciate how he got over. Not we'd appreciate that he got over because of who he was wrestling. And there are prominence in the territory and in his match record and match listings for this territory have been out there, even though as we'll get to they don't exactly match up with the very detailed notes that Ron Fuller has about dates and times and places, which you know.
Speaker 3: Is I never do.
Speaker 2: Now that's a huge it's a huge issue with any kind of database of wrestling results. Is you know, if you're lucky enough that a newspaper in the area used to make it their business to cover the matches and the results every Tuesday or whatever the day was after the matches and the sports pages, then you've struck gold. You have kind of contemporaneous accounts of what the match results were. But when you don't have that, which is pretty much the case here. If there was a paper regularly covering what was happening in Gulf Coast and publishing the day after the matches, those newspapers aren't archived in the way so many other newspapers have been archived these days. So you kind of have to piece it together by little snippets that make it in sort of like feature style advertising style things as opposed to match results reporting, and so the dates and times in the towns even get a little confused and backward. We saw this when we went through his short lived CWF run in Florida. I mean, Brian Blair is supposed to be on the card that Hull Cogan, a super Destroyer, had his first match against Aunt Serrano. He not only does he not remember Hulkogan wrestling before he wrestled him, which is supposed to be his third match, the second match was also supposed to be against Brian Blair, who, Brian Blair himself doesn't remember that fucking match exactly. Brian Blair was on the card where Hogan wrestled Serrano, and what the newspapers reported was as a late replacement as we talked about for Wolfman Smith, and Brian Blair doesn't remember that either, and he was behind the curtain. So it's unbelievable. But there are published accounts out there that lead to these wrestling databases putting things in there, logging things in these results, and it's like you come around, it's like, no, it's actually it was a month later, it was two months later, the other guy won, or this wasn't there or wasn't happening in this way. And even here Ron Fuller go through it chronologically, there's a couple of things that he kind of either breezes over or doesn't realize, such as Hull Cogan going to work in Memphis during the time he was with Gulf Coast. Ron Fuller makes it sound like Holkovin doesn't go anywhere near Memphis until he gives us notice to Gulf Coast, but in fact, a closest examination and we do have contemporaneous newspaper accounts to support this out of Memphis, which was much more robust and covering what was happening, of course, and one of the most prominent wrestling territories rating for rating per capita in the country. Yes, indeed, Terry Boley I was absolutely in the Mid South Coliseum, absolutely wrestling in Memphis when he was still in the midst of his Gulf Coast run and going back and forth. For reasons that will make a lot of sense is Ron Fuller gets into how his brother Robert Fuller Occuronel Robert Parker, it's actually booking for Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler in Memphis during what this time period in seventy nine. Oh yeah, it's the Welch family man their lineage, in their history. This business goes back further than any other tribe that really has ever existed. I mean, you go all the way back to like Herb Welch, and we we're talking like the twenties, the tens. This family has been involved not only as active wrestlers, but as territorial owners and bookers and executives in the wrestling business. It's just like you can't get to like until you get to like nineteen ninety. The Fullers are involved somewhere running things, orchestrating things, pulling strings at some wrestling office, and making moves in that regard. So that's gonna be fun too as an orientation to what the Fullers contributed because they're an underappreciated family I think in the business in terms of when you talk about the giants of territorial promoting, because the areas they ended up lording over ended up being relatively small compared to some of the major territories that resonated and really went to battle and went to war with Vince McMahon. So I'm excited to talk about all that and much more. We got to go back to Cocoa Beach, though, because we've got to rev that engine and say by to White East for the last time, don't we?
Speaker 3: I mean I think we do. I mean, you can't not go back to Cocoa Beach.
Speaker 2: Back in Cocoa Beach, brutus, beefcake, bouncing, weightlifting, and he decides, you know what, I want to wrestle?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, you know here I.
Speaker 2: Am body slamming patrons and pumping iron. It why d's makes me want to try this thing that my book mind Buddy Terry once tried and here's how he outlined it in his book. During our downtime, I asked Terry if he could show me how to do some wrestling moves. He had no problem doing so because he was grateful for the hard work I'd been putting in. He was talking about, of course, at Anchor Club.
Speaker 3: Wait, so because Hogan is grateful for his hard work, He's going to show him wrestling holds.
Speaker 2: He's grateful for the hard work that ed Leslie's put in at Anchor Club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who cares he does? Apparently it's a weird that's a weird repayment. Honestly, it's because it's very terrible. It's not money. Yeah, because because because because right, because like what is he he doesn't own Anchor Club?
Speaker 1: I know it does.
Speaker 3: It was Whitey who was like, I want to get this thing going can you help me? Can you?
Speaker 2: And Hogan reached out to his network because he knew we couldn't do what White he needed him to do alone. So it's almost like he was hiring almost like assistant managers in a way. It's just weird because he kind of knew what it would take to run the whole.
Speaker 3: It's still weird. That's still fucking weird. I had already taken judo beefcake rights. I knew how to do some judo throws and basic moves, which is just hilarious to think about. We set up some mats in the back of the gym and we were ready to go.
Speaker 2: I just love this, Oh Jesus Christ. In between, in between, you know, bar hopping and brother brewed, why don't you get some? Definitely call them bruteye, even though why don't you get some?
Speaker 3: Only have the masks, brother kind of laying them out and do this kind of take this thing in brother, see what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Dude, what do you think it might have sounded like in the Cocoa Beach heat as Terry Buley showed U at Leslie how to wrestle.
Speaker 3: You mean, miss sounds, he would have made yeah right, all right, brother, the first going to do dude, We're do we do sod heeadlo okay, all right, so I want to do Why don't you get give me your head like spread shoulder with the part all right, exactly, dude. And then I'm gonna take my arm, all right, take a quick on my arm, gonna put aundre. You got that, brother? Yeah? Yeah, yeah. It sounds like cocoa beach to me. I can.
Speaker 2: I can smell the the cocoa butter tanning oil.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 2: We set up some mats at the back of the gym and we were ready to go. First, I learned the basics locking up, hitting the ropes. How do you learn hitting the ropes?
Speaker 3: It wasn't a way. How do you hit the rope?
Speaker 2: From Matt taking a slam? Then I made him show me how to throw an arm dragon, grab a hold. I had him show me how to do a headlock. I would watch things on TV and then ask for lessons. How do you grab a hole? I'm not sure how to do that one either. Yeah, what's the difference in grabbing a hold and doing a hold or putting on a hold? That was all I needed. So a new plant emerged. I took about a full year to train hard and get bigger than ever. I was excited about networking and tapping some contacts to eventually try to make my debut in the squared circle. I also pushed Terry to do the same. Right at my side, my newfound career path got me excited, and I think in my excitement at the idea also started to restore Terry's faith in wrestling to pursue his dream once again. So they're there once again success as many offers, Yeah you know, ed Leslie basis saying it's because of me. The whole coven got back into wrestling. It was a good thing, of course. Oh yeah, it was a good thing. We had a wrestling as a backup plan. As the saying goes, all good things come to an end. One day, Whitey Bridges got married. You see, Whitey was about twice our age. When he tied the knot, everything changed. His priorities went in a whole other different direction, even though he was a weightlifter too. The moment he said I do, his wife was saying you don't. We were no longer his main priority. Wow, that's right, And we played second fiddle to his bride. She started pressuring him not to hang out with us. The writing was on the wall. The gym wasn't making any money and it was the first to go. After that, The Anchor Club was next. Actually, the Acre Club stayed open, as we chronicled in great detail last time, exactly just saw different managers. As another saying goes, when one door closes, another opens in front of you. As we were packing our bags to head back over to timp I told Terry he should entertain the possibility of wrestling again. He admitted that he was getting the itch again and made some phone calls. Eventually we got a call back from Harley Race. Okay, what now begins the stories of like the twelve people that these guys reached out to, it was one of twelve people they reached out to to get back into the wrestling business after the Cocoa Beach stint. You take your choices to which one you believe. Here here's here's Harley Race being suggested first, who talked about having us go to Kansas City. Now, remember Holke Hats said that part of the reason he skipped out on Florida Wrestling altogether is because when he went to the office with complaints about his pay and stuff, they said, we'll send you to Kansas City get some work there. And he was like, that's that's that's like a fuck you because as far as Hull Cogan was concerned, Tampa boy, that was Hickstown. He doesn't he basically doesn't want to leave me. The Florida isn't but isn't. Isn't Kansas City like a top territory, No, oh, no more Saint Louis. Kansas City was sort of like the backwater to the Saint Louis wrestling reperation. It wasn't a bad place to learn. Marty Jeanetty got started there, Scott Hall learned there, Shawn Michaels had some of his earliest experiences. That's Harley Races owned it. Yeah, but it wasn't a place. It wasn't really well paying territory. It wasn't a glamorous place to go and live and traveling. It just wasn't a territory that anybody would pick to work in the business at that time. It just wasn't Bulldog Bob Brown was always the top guy over there or somebody like that. And what's his name and to be a president. Bob Geigel was in and around that area. Eventually, we got a call back from Harley Race, who talked about having us go to Kansas City. Harley enjoyed smashing beer cans on Terry's head in a bar when he was working for Ready in Florida. Harley liked the idea of doing so again. So what what it was? So what do you think should we go? Terry asked, absolutely, brother, I said to.
Speaker 3: That, well, wongle, Harley Race, dude, publish it's fund to kosher brothers. Sounds like you want I don't someone wants to hurt dude. I'm wrong, brother, I don't know about this. This Harley Race guy. You talked Harley, Oh yeah, I talked to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, but yeah, I was looking. I was calling around see if anyone wanted to book it.
Speaker 2: What do you say about her? What do you I just said, we want to get to the business. We're excited and we're looking for a place to learn. And he said, we.
Speaker 3: Want to say we He said, you told we want to get in the business. Brother. Yeah, man, we've been talking about it. We've been working out You're you're talking for me. Now, dude, well he could he called me back? I mean he had your number two? But why is he calling you? Because I been I was calling around. I told you that already. Why didn't call Why didn't you call it round? I mean, if you if you called around here? Actually, this problem, this is well, I'm kind of like getting that. Dude, how do you know I didn't? And how does he know I didn't call him? Best question I have, brother, How does Holly Race know if I did or did not call it? I'm remembering something now. He told me that actually he's been calling Ruth because that's the only number he had, and I guess you never get the message ring ring, Hello, this is Harley Raised. Damn nice Harley, use some ribs with that meat loaf. I'm looking for a hul Cogan. Who a what a hulk? What? Who the fuck is this? My dog? It is Harley Race, Damon. I wanted to get on the Diamn line with with that son of a bitch hulk Hogan. There's no Hogan in this house. We're proud Italians. Well, yeah, what's your maiden name?
Speaker 2: He knows he calls Ruth OLA's house looking for Hulk Hogan, yet he knows her maiden name is Moody.
Speaker 3: I know who you are. I know exactly who you are. Don't fuck around with me.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm gonna encourage you to explore Harley as much as possible, because if you don't think Harley Race is an absolutely central character to Hulk Hogan's origin story, that you've got another thing coming pal. So yes, what he said to Ruth Blea on the phone in nineteen seventy nine and seventy eight is relevant. It is exactly how we're portraying it. Oh God, keep Pete in the background. Honey, who is that.
Speaker 3: Some asshole Okay named Harlan's Okay, what do you call me? You're saying that damn thing? What's wrong with you? Betch Harlan's david Why are you calling some guy named Harlan Davidson's on the follow me a bitch? He just called me a bitch. What are you gonna do now? Oh, I'm gonna keep it. I think I'm gonna keep eating this ice cream, honey, even though it was a cockroach, and I'm gonna keep eating it. You fuck hit all right? I want to know where Hogan is now and you're gonna tell me or I'm gonna come down there and I'm gonna smack it out of you. I want to know where Hogan is.
Speaker 2: Now, that's a way to welcome someone to come work for your territory.
Speaker 3: I'm not his I don't keep his messages. Terry, you're calling the wrong house anyway. But if you want to talk to this Hall Hogan, you call him. Don't call my house, are you all right? Don't call my house?
Speaker 2: Someone said in Patreon. They put it well, they said, I'm hearing a little bit of lap.
Speaker 3: Sit and rude. Well, I'm gonna fuck you up raw Orlands, I'm gonna fuck you up. I'm gonna b up you to hell? All right, damn it. I was looking for the last time I was looking for Paul Hogan. This is Australia, right, I'm looking for Paul Paul Hogan talking about Crocodile Dundee. He heard of them, Erry ripped off the wrong movie star. He should have on Paul Hogan. Crocodiles could be out out back Hogan, out back Hogan crocodile Bill Gundee if they wanted to invite another lawsuit. Oh god, so surprised they didn't.
Speaker 2: Eventually we had a call back from Harley Race, who talked to us about us having to go to Kansas City. Harley enjoyed smashing beer. Okay, yep, so what anything should we go? Absolutely? I said, this is when we came up with the best idea in the world. At Leslie Wright's, we would tell everyone that we actually were brothers.
Speaker 3: This is the best idea ever. Yeah, what the what the fuck?
Speaker 2: We've been calling each other brother every ten seconds for three years straight.
Speaker 3: Mo things we got to hope, He'd say. We would call each other hull Cogan. We would call each other lovers.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's good though, Like, who's the last person you call brother? Your actual brother?
Speaker 6: So true?
Speaker 3: Oh good. Apparently this idea for Ed and Terry Boulder to be brothers was hatched before they ever hit the road as wrestlers. It was hatched in Cocoa Beach figuring out what their next step was. We would tell everyone at Leslie Wright's that we actually were brothers. We figured if we had each other's backs, maybe we would be taken seriously. No getting pissed on, nobody breaking your leg. If someone wanted to mess with one of us, they would know they would have to deal with the other brother. It made perfect sense. Before we accepted Hartley's offer, we made yet another called the Jerry Jarrett in Memphis to see if we could play the two promotions for some better money. Yeah, I mean, I mean this just sounds like like I guess, if there's one thing that I've ever learned about the wrestling business and our nearly twelve years of doing this, it's that I don't know, you can't outsmart the guy in charge. Rarely can you outsmart the guy in charge.
Speaker 2: Right, you think you did, and the guy actually in the back of his mind was willing to go even higher than what he.
Speaker 3: Offered you, right. And it also like I just can't I can't see these guys like who cares? These guys are so are so like bottom of the barrel bullshit that who's gonna have who's gonna have a bidding war for you guys when you're nobody's you.
Speaker 2: Know, And that at that time of the business, it did work a lot off Polaroids were like, because it was so difficult to transport film footage before VCRs, there were a lot of people that would get hired just based on eight x tens of how they looked.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm not denying that at all. I'm not denying getting hired because that I'm talking about. How can you play two promotions off against each other when you don't master pictures look too tasty? I guess I just don't buy it.
Speaker 2: That's all me supposing that's the case. It's not stated is such, But yeah, it's it's a good question. I mean, do we lean a little bit into Gerald Briscoe's kind of thing of how actually people down in Florida did believe that there was a star in this guy and the initiation rituals were misinterpreted as him not being welcome in the business, and word got around there's this terry guy. And I'm sure Jerry Jarrett calls around to Eddie Graham and others and say, you know, this guy's bringing us up. Do you know anything about this guy the Texas and potential there you might want to use him.
Speaker 3: I don't know. No, no, no, I don't buy it. I don't think so. I think I think they're all making bullshit. Well, I'm gonna say, I'm gonna put this that. I mean, I wouldn't doubt. I wouldn't doubt at one point they probably have this conversation like I wouldn't doubt. I would believe that that Brutus is saying this maybe actually happened, But I just don't think it happened here where he's saying it happened.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of that chronology screw ups where it's like, no, you're actually I remember when Briscoe was talking to our friend Brad Baluccian about getting Terry and Eddie booked in New York because they didn't know what to do, and he's talking as if it happened when Terry quit CWF the first time in seventy seven. It's like, no, he actually no. The first of all, Eddie Boulder was not in the equation at all when he when he first worked for you in Tampa and left right. And second of all, he skipped down on you. You didn't you didn't facilitate anything. He left the wrestling business, he didn't go to New York. But he's like remembering that as how hulks first run in Florida ended, and it's you know, without appreciating the intermediate periods and we will say, I'm gonna say, but we're gonna put Memphis kinder to the side here because even though and we'll we'll touch on it as we go, they definitely bleed together the Alabama and Memphis runs for Terry and Eddie, we do want to give them separate and distinct treatments because there's a there's a whole rich Smorgus board of materials to go through from those two, and to jump back and forth might be needlessly confusing. Considering, well, there is overlap, it is it is relatively little, so we'll get more from you know how Jerry Jarrett saw the situation in the Memphis side of things as we progress here on the complete Hull Kogan but this being the alabam episode, let's continue at pace. The only condition Jerry was had Beefcake Rites was that he wanted us to go polish the gimmick up some with some smaller promotions before bringing us into Memphis.
Speaker 3: We agreed.
Speaker 2: So there's ed Leslie saying that Jerry agreed to take them on but wanted them to work the brother gimmick somewhere else before coming to Memphis. Now, Ron Fuller knew nothing about this I'm sure, oh, because he wouldn't have taken kindly to be used as a springboard. But his brother was booking Memphis, so it was hardly an arm's length relationship between the Memphis and Gulf Coast offices back then. And there was a lot of exchanging of talent because, as we'll get to, Memphis was in kind of a bad way as a territory in early seventy nine and late seventy eight, and Ron Fuller sent quite a bit of bankable stars that were drying in his territory to help his brother out in Memphis, or at least that's how Ron tells it. And Ron's always the victim. He's never you know what I mean, He's never wronged anybody. Yet there's a lot of people belu say Ron wronged them, you know how it goes.
Speaker 3: It's that I totally believe. So Harley's one.
Speaker 2: How about Billy Graham being the next port of call for these guys, that's another version of the story. And here we're going to revisit a little bit of what we've conveyed earlier in the complete holl Kogan about superstar Billy Graham coming into contact with Terry Boleya when he was playing the clubs the Ruckus days, you know, definitely standing out as a big dude, definitely bending the ear of Bob Orton in the parking lot, or Bob Roup there in the club, or Jerry Briscoe backstage, or Graham or Dusty when they would come through and listen to the music and to hear Terry Bullya tell it was actually a superstar Graham that he rang up first. Superstar Graham would come into the same gym that Terry Boleya and later Ad Leslie would work out in in Tampa before they were anywhere close to becoming pro wrestlers in their own right. So he was already kind of allotted figure in someone that they knew at least there were one degree closer to than the average person, or at least Terry Bullay was. So this is from Billy Graham's WWE book. There was a fan at the for Homer Es sirly On Murray that night who I'd noticed before Terry Blea was a tall, skinny blonde guy who dressed in black leather and boots like a rocker from the ring. I'd see his big head hovering above the rest of the crowd about ten rows back.
Speaker 3: What are you picturing when he says that, you know, I misspicturing that fucking you know, you know, you got you got a sea of normal people, and then you got like Hogan's head, all right, his big, oh my god, big DUFs head light head. I mean, like, you know, like imagine like his chin is at the top of everybody else's head. So you got this literal head stick sticking out of his sand. Basically, picture that fucking smile on his face.
Speaker 2: The high school yearbook smile. Exactly what a nerd.
Speaker 3: He's such a fucking nerd. I think that's that's the biggest thing is Hogan is a big, big ass fucking rocks up his nose. Oh and and like not only listen, listen. I'm all about being as transparent as you can in your books, and I think that's important. But you know what, man, there's a line. There's a line, and nobody needs to hear Hulk Hogan fucking shoving Rochester. I think Gary told us best. I think he told us best because he knows Hulk from inception. He knows Hulk telling tall tales before he was on a television camera and could benefit professionally from telling tall tales. It's about attention. It doesn't care if it's flattering or unflattering, as long as it's a story that he can tell about himself that he thinks is going to sear him into your memory. He's going to tell the story. It doesn't matter for that's not going to I mean, I guess that's true, But still I still think that that's it's not no, no, no, it's a bad one. That's that's where you that's where you draw the line for the beneficiary.
Speaker 2: Is just awful complete Hulk that he did go that route, especially in a second book where he felt, I think kind of an implicit pressure to up the ante from his rather fictionalized WWE and how account where apparently, come to find out, Vince McMahon was quite frustrated with that book because he thought Hulk was going to tell a lot more down and dirty stories, because I guess Hulk has a lot of like stuff that's never come out about, you know, wild sex parties and drugs. And eventually he got a lot more sure about that. But I still think there's sure things that that Vince really wanted I mean you mean he wanted more stories in the book. That's what Vince. I understand Vince's expectations for the book to be, but it was just a very careful kind of you know, there'd be like three page chapters in there, just designed to scratch some itch that Hulk had about some thing someone said about him twenty five years ago. It's like, why was that in there? You know, it's kind of a strange compendium. But eventually, damnit, Terry, I want the sex. Where's the sex?
Speaker 3: I want it? Tell the stories. I need my stories told through your mouth.
Speaker 2: Remember in that script that linked linked leaked of the Pandemonium Inc. Biopic treatment for him that we read out one time on the podcast, they had Linda saying that Hulk's the kind of guy that makes women want to do butt sex.
Speaker 3: Come on, everyone knows you drive the ladies to anal all right, we all want to get those ladies in the ass boss. No, not you, damn, I mean the other ladies. How funny is that? Like the whole time when Hogan's running high in the eighties, he doesn't see a cartoon character. He sees someone that the women want. And look, I'm not saying there were no women that didn't want Hulk Hogan. But really, like, I can't think of a top baby face in wrestling history who had less of an appeal to women than him. Oh I know, I mean, you know, because again he just he looks like a goof Hulk Cogan on his best day.
Speaker 2: Okay, not carry von Harrison, not Brett Hart. He's not Sehn Michaels.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, the only thing the only thing about him that he that that is that is I would imagine on a physical level that is appealing is the fact that he's that he's fucking bulky. You feel like you're playing enough super human Yeah when you right, but like you know, that's it. That's it. Like, you know, why do you want the fucking bald guy with the with the with the handlebar mustache. You're like, you don't want to fucking you don't want him ride me like a fucking you know, like that's like the last thing you want. I mean, unless you maybe you think he's got like a you know, when you're talking about twenty four inch pith time you're talking about twenty four inch cock. I don't know if that's what you're thinking about, but like not, he's not. Again, remember when we when we watched No Holds Bar like the idea of him being as is are they thinking it's it's a it's atrocious, it's atrocious. He's not somebody who you like. Sex doesn't even cross my mind when I think about hol Coast is not one. It was never.
Speaker 2: And the thing the reason I say that is because I've seen so many babyfaces go through that curtain and like they're it's unmistakable that they've got huge female support. You can hear him screaming, you can see them reaching rapidly over the guardrails trying to get to them. You see footage of them in public at autograph sessions or whatever the case may be, being mobbed by women and teenage girls. I never ever, ever saw that with Hull Coogan ever. No, I've watched everything he's ever done.
Speaker 3: Basically, Yeah, he's always got kids, you know, it's always kids that are around him, like not women.
Speaker 2: So that's always fascinating when that kind of enters the equation. When everyone else was screaming Billy Graham rights, he sat there, transfixed, never darting his eyes, dissecting my every move and facial gesture.
Speaker 3: His gaze was so I think, I think, I think he's just I also think that maybe that Hogan's got some ADHD and then he's just fucking off in his own world. So yeah, like he's staring not because he's interested, actually, but he's steering because he's just like he's got a million things that are going through his head at the same time, right, and so he's he's concentration.
Speaker 2: Is actually a paralysis of all the things bouncing around his head at anything. So many times, so many times I have been caught staring at somebody, but I'm not actually like I'm staring because you're thinking your mind to somewhere else. You don't even realize. My mind is completely gone. I'm thinking about a million different things, and it just happens to me that my eyes are at this person, and it's like, that's it. Like, honestly, if it you know, either I turned that direction or you walked into my vision my viewpoint there, and that was it. Like I so many times it's happened where I'm like, oh no, sorry, I wasn't even I didn't even know you were there. You've been staring right at you, I was like miles away, well, thinking of a different thing. Well, then we have established talking childhood friends and stuff here on the complete is said his mind was always all over the place, and he was always thinking about, you know, getting taken advantage of. He's always triple guessing things and always concocting stories, even before he was in the wrestling business. So you might be onto something there. His gaze Billy Graham Wrights was so piercing that occasionally I found myself looking back at him. One night at the Imperial Room, a nightclub where the boys hung out in Tampa, Terry approached me. I was seated and he was standing towering over me. Like Jesse and Toro, and Terry wanted to become a wrestler, but he felt like the local promoter in this case that a Graham was shutting him out. Terry was frustrated, but not discouraged. We've read this before, by the way, but it'll be important. You're going to recognize this line coming up here.
Speaker 3: Boss.
Speaker 2: I'm not thinking no for an answer, he vowed. It was the first of many encounters. Another time, Terry confessed that he felt too thin for the squirt circle and asked Steve Strong in me about the types of steroids. We yes, what did you remember?
Speaker 3: What he said?
Speaker 2: When Terry asked them, I don't remember, not on anything. We're not on anything. Strong answer, Yes, that's right, that's right. Booking the future icon dead in the eye. Terry acknowledged the rib with a nod and a grin. You know, where would Terry Bulan, a wrestling fan, have gotten the idea the superstar Billy Graham was doing steroids back in seventy seven or seventy six, whenever this initial encounter took place. So I don't know, Maybe just watch some of his promos in New York.
Speaker 8: Right now, let's bring on coming GANI out a man who has confidence in himself. He should a great outlet in his own right. The pipeon like superstar of Billy Graham, and we didn't see the strength. We saw a little display of strength in the future in the previous contest. But now the one coming up here in the future, well we see that awesome power once again. What type of style will Superstar Billy Graham resort to?
Speaker 3: Number one?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take seven Diana balls a day, five.
Speaker 3: Dollas, test throw shots, a week.
Speaker 6: So strong and so powerful.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna bring it back with a superstar.
Speaker 6: Pharaoh Lock the pharo got him right.
Speaker 4: With us till the man cries.
Speaker 3: I give up, Superstar. I shouldn't be here to begin with. It was a mistake. The first match was a mistake. Your foots on the road. I shouldn't have to build. The man will cry like a baby.
Speaker 8: And you firstly we hold the microphones were fought back to the crying.
Speaker 3: Right wizard drink.
Speaker 8: Now you may think there's an energy and a power shortage in this country, but there's gonna be enough.
Speaker 5: Energy, enough power from a superstar.
Speaker 3: If we can only get that out.
Speaker 8: That would get up to light up the world that can't beat it back about an hour. Superstar is back. Ladies and gentlemen on the.
Speaker 1: Lab Fan Wrestling Podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan Sick of the ads. Sign up for ad free shows and even more content at patreon dot com Slash the Lapsed Fan.
Speaker 7: He's a Lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 3: Apologies for the audio quality. That's all that survives, but needless to say, Boss it's too bad. He fucking says he's going to take Diana ball and he's gonna stove needles in his ass. Yes, And you should see Ernie Roth, the Grand Wizard who you heard at the end there. You should see him purse his lips together and hold in the biggest belly laugh when he realizes, Wow, what Billy Graham is saying on that microphone. Now, Vince, who is holding the mic is out a frame at the time, so you can't see his reaction, but I'm sure right at him. You know, he's got those fucking horse teeth going out all like crazy. I mean, he's on TV. And also, I mean, honestly, I was, I was, I you know, you sure that's Billy grahams is not only Dusty real, No shit, that's the whole idea. Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Well, the bear hug is important. You meant you heard him mention the superstar bear hug. If there's any doubt that Billy Graham influenced Tulkogan, You're going to find that Terry Bullay's first real submission hold or finishing hold was the bear hug, and that's what got him over as this monstrous heel not only in Gulf Coast, but also initially in the WWWF in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: So wow.
Speaker 2: Before to getting into that in time, Billy writes Terry would convince Hiro Matsuda to take him on as a student. A few years later he hit the WWF brag about his pythons. He just heard Vince McMahon junr there reference the python like Billy Graham's. You can tell where that came from.
Speaker 3: Guess well, well, we have a hero of the python like Billy Grant defense to put any trains, all the life out of it completely, like I mean, it makes him seem like a snake. Not that he's got massive arms, but he's got fucking We have a Python like individual here in the form of Billy Graham, a gentleman of a particular nature who think, who thinks he's got strength that goes beyond the capabilities of most individualistic individuals. Can't wait for taking it away, way, yea, yeah, take it away? Indeed, please can't wait to hear from this guy. Now, Python like Python like the python like Billy Graham's.
Speaker 8: Right now, let's bring on coming Gandhia out a man who asks confidence in himself. He should a great athlete in his own right, a Python like superstar.
Speaker 3: Billy Graham's such a fucking idiot.
Speaker 2: He's such an always gives himself in so much trouble when he tries to over annunciate and when he tries to over complicate what he's trying to say, when he tries to dress it up and tries to, oh, be aerodyite. He always puts his foot in his mouth. When he does that, it completely takes everything away from from Billy Graham, like instantly, instant, everything is gone, like you write, honestly, it's amazing because if I feel like if that had been done, you know, it's fortunate that you've got guys again who who who were trained in a certain way and built up and you know, not necessarily within the the WWE system like people are today, but like you'd sit there and that could that could have buried somebody in the last oh yeah, Python, like ten years, if somebody if somebody took your your your you know again, some kind of attribute and talk about your your your fucking pythons that are your arms and they call you python like today, it would be like, what, well, what is he like people would go crazy over that. They wouldn't know what the fuck is going on, and he'd become complete goof complete joke. A few years later, Graham writs, he hit the WWF his Hohle Cochin where he brag about his pythons and ask what you're gonna do when whole comania runs wild on you? Borrowing from my standard line, what you're gonna do when the Superstar comes down on you? So you can definitely start to see, uh.
Speaker 3: The he had to change that one, and we didn't you have that interview where he said, uh, the Superstar is going to go down on you. No, that was that was a different episode of Donahue, as far as I know, is going to go down on you. But we're gonna call now Superstar.
Speaker 2: We're gonna phone him up, uh and figure out what this next move is that me and my uh my pal here already Boulder can make so boss. This is from Hogan's second book, If you please regale the Solar System with the story of how Terry gets to networking to get a cocoa beach behind him.
Speaker 3: Right here we go over of course that year, you know, Bruce a real service about two things working that club, working on working that club base I know, work in that club and working out in that gym, work in that club. That that was me this afternoon at lunch. And wouldn't he he'd probably working that club in the back at some point. I mean, I got crazy focus on building my body. Whether it was some kind of of a reaction to the whole wrestling fiasco or not, I made up my mind that I was going to get as big as I possibly could. I had a pretty good starting porn. I was already in fantastic shape. But even without with the muscle, the base that I build and how fit I was from those Matsuda workouts and the god given gift to my natural size, there was no way I could achieve that over the top, thick, massive, golden god look I was after without help, Brother, Yeah, let's fucking go. The help I needed came in two forms. Like I said, you got a little more honest as time went on. Yeah, I'll say, I like the title of the chat. When when Royds were the rage, well late nineteen to seventies, steroids were everywhere, all over the place, all over the place, just you know, doctor was giving him to INFI I'm.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure all over most people in the late seventies, like people had nothing to do with steroids, and the first thing about where to get them your whole world was the fucking weightlifting gym.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, but like I mean, as we know, you know, I mean, I guess, I guess the late seventies it would have been a bigger thing because after pumping iron came out, you know, that was obviously created a whole thing. But no doubt, But I don't know about everywhere. And I'm just talking about here we go, and I'm much talking about the wrestling world. You could walk into almost any gym or locker room in this country, like any locker room, so like at a high school gym or elementary school locker room, elementary lock there we go in fine steroids if you had, if you had her eyes open, it was a different era. They were legal, they were legal. Doctors were pretty much pretty much hand you prescription for whatever you wanted, right, I mean, it sounds like you can get them over the counter. Legal legal doctors wouldn't have to give you a prescription to buy them, right, you can get them over the counter. You can just go to fucking CV as and you could buy steroids, buy a fucking well, you got the juice of riggs ale, brother, the orange juice is over there, and the rigs are down at the fucking Sportratorium every Tuesday. The rigs are down down in the dock, you know, the docks there, So if you want to do that, and the American males. But as we litigated endlessly on the trial of his life and other times we've tackled the steroids subject. Even though federally, you know, using steroids was not illegal, and certainly possessing them was not illegal up until about eighty eight and then through to ninety one. There are plenty of states, plenty of state laws existed that criminalized the usage of them without a prescription before the federal law was so prescriptive about that. He said, part in the party.
Speaker 2: So you know, this idea that like just because every time you listen closely, they always say federal law, federal law. This idea that like people were carrying this stuff without a warry in the world and that there was nothing illicit about them in the seventies is total bullshit because.
Speaker 3: Like just fucking you know, just fucking walking down the street, taking your ass out and just shoving a needle in your ass while you're walking down the street. No problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always state laws around prescribing these things that were violatable way before the federal laws changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, uh, doctor, there wouldn't be a federal ban on steroid until the end of the following decade. On Cuckoo Beach, nineteen seventy eight, I don't even have to go looking for them. Instead, steroids found me. They're like fucking hot, Like, brother, what do you whoa brother? Who's the who's at the door, Dude, it's twelve thirty at night, dude, water needle? Steroids in my door? Steroids down like the Microsoft word clip guy in the corner like Hi, They're like talking to steroids. Hi, I'm steroids. I want your ass.
Speaker 8: Come on.
Speaker 3: Steroids came looking for me, brother? What dude? What do you guys? Which one are you?
Speaker 1: Brother?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 3: You and or you die? Are you the aquaritine steroid force?
Speaker 1: Brother?
Speaker 3: I'm here, Just stick it in your ass. Brother. My brother Madison said, you dude, Alan, dude? You allan?
Speaker 2: That was another uh parallel with loof Rigno is the brother that the parents loved more.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, were you Kenny dude? Do you know Kenny brother? That was a that was an ambiguous response. Sounds like they do know Kenny, but they didn't know Terry knew they knew Kenny, so they just walked, Oh my god, It's like we were saying Jesus Christ, Kenny. I honestly had not gotten Sture's Laevantine Hunger Force, French fries and the animated soda cup walking up to his apartment. I'm gonna start off, I'm gonna go back a little bit and say in cougoa beach nine whos seventy eight? I don't even have to go looking for them. Instead, steroids found me. They just walked him through, right in through the front door of Whitey and Terry's Olympic fuck and read that far ahead. A couple of local weightlifters came through the check out the facility, and before I knew it, they were taking like they were talking like traveling salesm and go, hey man, why don't you take the Hannah ball. You won't believe the results. Just try it and see and if you really want to see some bulk, he should take this and that well, there was no occasion. This stuff could hurt you or kill you, could kill you. I'm sure there was fear mongering around that. Sure, I'm sure there were people that people said, oh yeah, he died of steroids, no question. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And when he uses stuff, was the best spokesperson possible because they all looked great. You know, Brutus and I were sold. He calls him Brutus right then and there, and we got into it. We got into it heavy.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget this is the guy who thought doctor knew what to do for a spine because he was ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh so great, total NonStop Hogan days.
Speaker 3: You know, we found pretty quickly that it was all about finding the right cocktail that worked for you, and once you hit the correct combo, the results were fast and furious. There was always a base of testos roone. It could be one cc, maybe more, he just went by feel. Then there was deca deca durbolin and oil based steroid, and you'd take that once or twice a week. Then there were pills like anavar and the aforementioned donaball you know, which I know now is actually very toxic. It's it's like an androgen that makes you hold fluid. All steroids are stressful on your internal organs. But I was young and invincible, you know it. I took pills every day, I shot up out every third day. The results were incredible and kept every third day. A man, I mean, that's that's right? When is it normal? Like when I feel like.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about this stuff, Like as far as to that level of routine, I was feeling cycles, you do it like every other day, and then you like stop for a week, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I was like, it seems like if you're if you're going like a certain on a good on a certain cycle, like it's you do it for a little while, then your office for days takes away the whole idea of a cycle. Doesn't cycle, not at all. You know, there's ultis kept going in just a couple of months. I was seeing that sort of Greek gods swell. I envisioned there's no limit to the amount of steroids. We could do as much as we wanted. The local weightlifter dealers could provide if you want to pay a hundred pills, If you wanted to buy a hundred pills, you could, and if he wanted to buy ten thousand bills, you could. If you wanted to buy a whole fuck. If you wanted to buy the factory brother to make the pills, you could, dude, to make your own factory brother, right the way. I would not see it.
Speaker 2: Nothing Terry at all had any designs on participating in this kind of commerce in Cocoa Beach on the.
Speaker 3: Brother. I'm not so, I don't know, but listen, I am. I want to tell you right now, dude, I do not. I've never used the Tampa Pipeline Brother, and I do not. I do not do the Tampa Pipeline Brother. People who know I'm not, did Terry sell drugs? And they'll say Terry was not a drug dealer, But they won't say he didn't sell. I definitely don't sell. Say that's that whole there's no limit. Waituh, he never sold? Yeah, right, Even if you get caught with a thousand bottles from a drug dealer, as long as you have that that prescription for that substance in your bag, you were Okay, I love carrying around a prescription Brutus's bag depending yeah right, But I love the idea like I mean, you know, oh, yeah, they all had a note. They had a little thing, a little gimmick. Absolutely they did. I just because, like, how normal is that of guilt?
Speaker 9: Is that?
Speaker 3: Like you think? I think myself, like, listen, I take you know whatever, and I'm like, I'm not carrying around a fucking my doctor's prescription everywhere I fucking go.
Speaker 2: You know what the question is is it something that you could be arrested for possessing if you didn't have a doctor's permission.
Speaker 3: That's the difference. So like, yeah, I thought, Terry, I thought it was legal. Yeah, it'd be like oxyconton, you know, like they found who it's legal? Though, Terry, why do you why do you need why are you nervous? Legal? Doctor? But ask me about nervous? Dude? Want what wait? What would nervous? Exactly? What slip that in there? I don't I don't listen. I don't take steroids. I don't abuse steroids. I don't use steroids. I don't abuse them. Right now, I don't sell them. I don't deal them. I don't sell them. I don't deal them. I'm no part of the Tampa pipeline.
Speaker 2: Every time I've given someone old steroids, it was in advance of them giving me theirs later.
Speaker 3: If trust me, anytime I've ever given anybody steroids, it was not for a business arrangement. Dude. I have not taken any kind of monetary thing, and I have not ever given anybody else steroids ever, and I don't and I won't and I'm not addicted to it. And great thing to volunteer because no one was saying anything about addiction.
Speaker 2: Love and he gives himself away the best and I don't abuse given it to other people give it. I never will, I never have, and I'm not addicted to it. I don't abuse given steroids. I don't deal.
Speaker 3: Steroids. I don't deal cards with steroids. Brother, a local doctor who was friends with Whitey was kind enough to write down whenever we wanted so we'd be street legal. Found out that doesn't necessarily make it street legal if the doctor knows full well. Yeah, I hear street legal too, and I don't know. Whenever I hear street legal, I think of I think of Old School in the movie Old School, because you get Will Ferrell who's working on his car one way and he's like, he's like, like fucking he says, but don't say anything about it, because it's not exactly street legal. It's fucking engine that he's working on. It's like insanely loud. And then once we had his prescription for let's say, one bottle to toss roone would run right out and buy fifty bottles from one of those dealers down the street box. So if you have a minute and so you'd buy. So you get a prescription for one bottle to a sauceron and you buy fifty bottles that street legal from one of those that's I guess that's street legal. Down the street legal, he says, if you only carry one of them at a time, right, I guess I can carry bro something like a whole fucking gym bag of pills. Uh. I got a script for that, dude, I don't know. It says one. It says one one bag, brother, one bag of bottle. Peoples understand, and he unders gets that's right, du The thing is, I didn't have any second thoughts on pumping my body full of the stuff because everybody was steroids were safe. I guess it's kind of like in the nineteen fifties when everyone said smoking cigarettes was safe. They I didn't they didn't say it was safe. You heard that if you wanted to hear coming, right, But I think I mean, when do they when do they start putting We feel like they started putting labels on that back then. You know, see, like cigarette warnings.
Speaker 2: Falling asleep next to a campfire was never a good idea, and so in hailing smoke never a good idea either. It's a question of like how you know how obnoxious you want to get up? Yes, exactlyteen. I guess nineteen sixty six was when it was when the first warning labels came out. But still I feel like even back then it was like not necessarily that. And obviously everyone was smoking back.
Speaker 3: Then, especially in the wrestling arenas. Oh of course, damn straight hell some people were. Some people even said smoking was good for you, right if yeah, probably my my my addicted uncle probably said that it was good for you, Diane.
Speaker 2: She attributes her slim figure to Marlboro lights. Oh yes, fuck, oh my god, let me tell you I was looking for that ideal. I'm gonna tell you, I get fucked so fucking fast every night.
Speaker 3: And now we travel to Springfield to meet her sister Marge, and in the seventies, everyone just up the anne a little. I'll say they went around saying it was perfectly safe to smoke pot and it certainly wasn't gonna kill you to snort some cocaine else in the locker room circles, I know, right, And in locker room circles it was. It was just like, given that shooting steroids was safe to brother, who's shooting boiler? No one said it was a shoot exactly exactly? Who shoot brother? Like he gets he's like, he's like reading the audio book in the studio, He's like, well, who's shooting brother? He looks at the producers, like the should shoot me? Where's the shoot brother? Where's the shoot dude? What's me? Terry Terry, I'm sorry what they're talking through that mic into the studio? Yeah, Terry where I'm sorry? You got to shoot? What are you talking about? Well, it's written Reddit, it's a shooting run. You're pretending not to listen. Uh, I didn't write the book, Darry. You did, Terry Terry, You wrote the book. I mean, what does it mean? Why?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 3: I don't know? Because you asked him what it means? Well, tell you, because you're you're seeming to be concerned, and I just, uh, I just you're just reading what You're all I want asking the questions your brother. Dude. I'm see I'm the one who's vulnerable right now, brother, because I'm reading this thing out loud, and I gonta understand where you're coming from right now, brother, having me read this stuff, Dude, where you're coming from? This guy is just some engineer that works at the studio. He and give a fuck who this is. I don't, I don't. I mean, listen, I'm just here to record that. Just you're reading your book. Man, I don't, I don't. I don't know what you want. Well, I think that's the problem.
Speaker 7: You do.
Speaker 3: You don't know what I want. And I want to know why you don't know what I want to He's not that complicated, brother, to figure out what it is I want.
Speaker 2: I want to know what's going on with his shooting. Everyone's shooting in the locker room. You're putting this copy in front of me, brother, like, I'm just just read this.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't. I don't know what to tell you except that you know it's Henry Holmes on the phone. I'm not going to again, Henry Holmes, it's in your book, it's in his What do you want? It's in his book? He wrote it, he wrote it. But who are you talking to you over there? Exactly? I'm not. I'm talking to your guy. This guy with this kind of weird mullet pompadour thing in a mustache. He's got sunglasses inside. I don't know what he's he said, this is your manager? Was that Jimmy?
Speaker 9: Brother?
Speaker 3: I don't know what? Can we just listen? I want to go home? Who's ever going home? Dude? What someone gorilla calling? First of all? Home?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 3: We rolling me up? Someone in this brother? You get someone in the recording booth with me? Dude, Terry, it's too small for two people, brother? What we you say? It's too small? Dude? I got twenty four inch pythons. Brother, I don't, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's nobody in there with you. Why would you offer that, brother? Why would you offer that statement?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 3: That information? Nobody's in here with me? But I didn't ask what you did just before? If I put somebody else in there, brother? What? But then you're putting words my mouth? Dude, you're putting my mouth all over these fuck words, dude, and I will understand what's going on, brother, because here we're talking about a shoot. You're telling me I got a guy behind me who's gonna roll me up in this fucking booth. Brother, you got Jimmy Hart who's over there trying to screw me as well. What's going on? Brother? With my book coming out, Well, that's what you get for having Hulk read and in locker room circles, it was just a given that shooting steroids was safe too. Yeah. Yeah, I'd also like to like, you know that, you know, smoking pots perfectly safe, and you know it's not gonna kill you if you snort some cocaine, and you know in locker rooms, you know shooting steroids is safe too. And you know what else is totally fine. Just walking down the street and fucking popping somebody with a gun, No big deal, No one's gonna stop you.
Speaker 2: If you remember back then, people were like, yeah, man, do all the heroin you want. You know, fucking sent no lollipops, It's all good.
Speaker 3: Fucking ridiculous. There's also sort of a social thing to brother. When you took steroids, you were just like every other musclehead in the gym. And if you didn't, it's almost like, well, why you waste your time in here? So true? We want to be healthy, dude, what's going home?
Speaker 2: You know the only reason new power lift is to see how much your body could do with every advantage known to God. And if that's not your goal, they don't get it.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy. It is the convenicent availability. Just push it over the top while make an appointment and waste all that time at a doctor's office to get one bottle. Not gonna lot ten bottles of that one I want right now, and do it for three dollars a bottle. I remember tis stosterone was like ten dollars a bottle, and we have and had ten shots in it, and there was just so much of it everywhere. It actually made you feel in place as opposed to out of place to take steroids. Before long, everyone in the gym was doing it. Everybody who worked at the bar was doing it, and you could you could look at the way the top the top athlete looked and know that they were all doing it too. Brother, So it wasn't consider a reckless thing. In fact, you know that whole year I spent in Cocoa Beach was anything but reckless. And even though I was running the anchor, I didn't drink. I went all of nineteen seventy eight without putting a drop of alcohol my body. Alcohol just wouldn't cut it with the schedule. That was not what yes, right, not at all? Listen. I can't I cannot imagine that hul Cogan could remember all of nineteen seventy eight when he wrote this book. So I don't know. I don't buy that for one moment. After working out and running the gym all day, but just don't know. I had a pretty standard routine. Would open up the bar and get everyone settled, and then we'd come back and watch David Letterman's Late night show I Love. That wasn't on in nineteen seventy eight, hadn't come out yet, I don't think, so only that came out until like the mid eighties. And just mean Carson. I could be wrong, Yeah, I mean well late because late night was after sure.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Carson. But I don't think when did it start? Yeah, nineteen eighty two is when that starts. Well, so yeah, I don't know about this. Nineteen seventy eight shit, but whatever, uh huh uh uh, and know they watched it, you know, you know while we watch, we drink these power shakes. I'll take the most fatmining protein there was, called metaball and dump it in a blunder with half a cube of vanilla Hoggin' Dots, ice cream banana, and two huge wads of peanut butter. Probably the most fammy shit you can eat.
Speaker 2: Dude, Eddie and Terry with their treats, watching Letterman like you're fucking these fucking uh and then we put whipped cream and sprinkle after that? Am I the only one basically picturing Beavis and buttheaded couch here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, seriously, Yeah, I'm picture of them, picturing them like, you know, shirtless, you know, and like and like gym shorts, you know, Beavis and juice Head, right exactly, they had, like judge to render these two oh fucking t shirt sitting on the pink couch, probably the most famming shit you can eat. We'd drink two blenders with that crap, watch a Letterman, then go back to the bar and stay until closing at four am. So so they would they don't they'd open the bar, I'm okay, So they'd open the bar, get everything settled, then go back and watch Letterman. I don't understand they would just leave the flavor and watch TV. And then they'd leave the floor and just go we'd come back, meaning that they would be back at their apartment or back at the gym. I don't know where they watched the show, but I think yeah, they would leave the bar to in someone else's hands while they watched that show and then come back after it was over. Oh, I would have been wrecked the next day if I had been boozing it up, so alcohol was out and pot was in. Brother, I still don't understand. This makes no that just makes any sense at all. That schedule makes no fucking sense at all. I don't understand. Why are you leaving the bar if you're working.
Speaker 2: I think his his job was less to serve patrons all night and more to just supervise the people who did that was that was my impression. He did work the bar, no question, and Don Wilson laid it out in as much detail as he could remember, as you can't forget this is just one guy that worked there for one year, right, He wasn't ut Cogan then, so he was barely remembered. But I get the sense that he was kind of more supervising things than the person that you know that the place had to shut down if he wasn't there to serve drinks? What about Brutus though it wasn't he He was the door man, he was the front zone man, many including don.
Speaker 3: I guess that's true. It's one of many, So I'm like, why why does he get to leave too? They were kind of made men in a way. It sounds like because Whitey basically recruited them to help ran open the place, not just work there. Yeah, it's fucking crazy. I would have been round and was in. I started smoking pot a little bit in the last couple of bands I was in, and the other guys would it disappear on me? During breaks? I'd, you know, put there are you going? Brother?
Speaker 7: On?
Speaker 3: Of course you asked that question, why am I alone? All of a sudden, dude, I'll put the bass guitar down and ask, you know, where the fuck did everyone want to go? Did they had a secret code to lose me or something?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 3: Oh, here we go? Well and they come back smelling like weed. I finally asked David the keyboard player about it, and he said, we doing out there, brother, exactly what was going on out there? Do you? Why are you smoking like pot? Uh Ant was smoking pot? Brother, you're smoking pot.
Speaker 2: That's like the most surprising answer to that question he could have gotten. Why do you spelling pot? Because I was smoking it? What d a rock and roll band?
Speaker 3: Rock and roll? Pot and roll ain't no pot and roll, brother, hoot and roll pot and Roid the terry bullet of Cocoa Beach years.
Speaker 2: The pot and roll sounds like a sushi item. This guy's roting so hard. Oh, it's like it's unbelievable. He's got the muscle shirt every day. Like he's got the lifestyle too, where he like shows off the muscles twenty four hours a day. He doesn't have to go to an office, you know what I mean, he doesn't have to work at construction site.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, I I picture like people who went to the bar one night they see they see Hogan. The next time they come back and he's like all fucking ballooned out exactly. It's fucking crazy ballooned. You should try it. I never wanted to. I was pretty clean cut kid. But on the whole band, you know, went on this camping trip down the down the the the with Lacuchi River. The what the with Lacuci River? That sounds like that sounds exactly the fu Yeah, I used to go. I used to go to fuck the pussy river too, back in the day with Lakuchi River. And I finally smoked joint, nothing happened, smoking another one. Before he knew it. I was ordering thirty testosterone before he knew it. I was ordering thirty joints for one fucking joint. He finally smoked a joint, Nothing happened, so he smoked another one. I understand. That's what it gets even more complicated. Oh god, nothing happened. Also had four Oh my god, most had four or five joints. That first time. I didn't feel a thing. Then all of a sudden, we stopped to pitch the tent. You pitch the tent down with the Lacuchi River. Okay, this now makes sense. That's all makes sense. With Lacuchi is what they called Don Wilson's penthouse above the with less satisfaxion with Lacuchi popping tents, pitching tents, I started started eating everything inside, potato chips, oreos, pussy, everything to get my hands on. And they're all laughing. He's eating pussy. Look at is eating pussy. They're calling him Ahogan of course. Yeah, this is a running joke. Oh you're Stone, You're Stone. You got the munchies, man, Shure didn't feel like I was stoned? Well, I guess I was. Man, That's why those fattening shakes were down so easy and go go beach. I was stone, brother. I picture him as making a shriek on Tuesday, tight into the vents and be like pumping powder. Dude, Oh yes I do. Oh my god. I never tell you the time I had a a pot brownie. Yeah, and you couldn't move, right, I couldn't move. Yeah, I told you that one. Yeah, totally, dude, just fucking I could not. I I just was so stupid because I ate it all so fucking fast. It's good in all, exactly what he's describing exactly. Yeah, you know, I mean I didn't get the munchies. I was just fucking done. You'd get the munchies because you right, I hate the whole brownie and I'm like moving, Man, you don't know, do you know how you react to that ship exactly? I'm like, never again, I'm good. I don't need I don't need my my pot cocoa beach brownie. And he stayed fucked up, like, come on his whole life? Oh yes, come on, you know he was kind of blowing pot his whole life, blowing that cush. Give me break, folks, what do you think was in Brutus's uh fanny pack? Come on, all right, seriously, let's sign minutes words a little bit of the rattle rattle in there. Yeah, take the edge off, fire up, but donald things up, now things down. Take these things back on track, brother, Take things in the next level. Take a down level brother, and you know, negotiate things they go along. Yep, regulation pop a couple of that wide glide. That's pick the long road or a short bus. Get a short road and a long metaphors. Run out of things to say here, I have the appetizer after the ontrosen.
Speaker 2: Brother, starting with dessert first, dude. Right, I'm a living dessert first brother. I mean I'm wide gliding on that on those guns.
Speaker 3: Starting with the dessert dude, and with the moss roll sticks, brother fat and shaked dude, fattening shaked dude. You know I have a fucking junk food brother, half a cube half I'm gonna for half a cube and does at my next shake it's gonna be for terry. I mean that's it that. I mean that is not a protein shake. That is a milkshake. I bother. Okay, it's gonna taste it anyway, or if you're doing that fucking oh no, he's talking about how much he said, He said, with a half.
Speaker 10: Thing of it.
Speaker 3: Half a cube, which I took to be a little amount, not like a thimble, not a big amount. But what's a cube?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: I ever think an ice cube thing? Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I'm gonna say, what's a cube of ice cream? Are you okay? It's gonna say it sounds like what are you talking about? A cube of ice cream can be a prepackaged treat, often in flavors like strawberry chocolate, or unique options like sessing even nolla, okay, what what's happening the fuck? Or it can be made homemade by no. I just want to know what this all can be existing in any shape and ice cream, there's nothing cube specific. I didn't know what he's talking about regarding cube, because I honestly talked that. It's like I usually thought of, like, you know, half a I honestly this is what I pictured in my mind because I'm looking at I think about it, like, right, you get the ice cream, you get an ice cream thing, right, and it's like it's like a it's like a tangle, a rectangular carton, like the round edges. I don't think I'm like half of that. It's ridiculous. I don't know. I agree he's but you're talking about it, but you're talking about having a whole fucking blender of this ship. Come on, man, you can't fill a blender with it with an ice cube, a half ice cube of fucking ice cream. It's true. I don't know this metal. Yes, that's right, brother. I met a ball, dude, I met them all. I've done metal ball, done a ball uh Barbica have stayed in Cocoa Beach, just living that laid back live forever. But but but setting in on one spot on the car, setting setting in on one spot of the cars in the cards for me wasn't in the cars for me. Life is a way of of always keeping you in check. Brother, Doesn't it just when you just when things seem to be settled and going great. The rug is he hanged down from under? You probably like, wool brother, what's going on, dude? Exactly? The rug yanked out from underhe doesn't that tell you everything you need to know, that choice of words being in that year, Whiney decided to get married. He'd had it with the whole beach scene like this. You know what, Terry, I've had it with a beat saint. I'm getting married. I'm done nothing to do with the feds. Well, I just like the idea that that, you know what, I'm done with this. I'm gonna get married now. Fuck the beach scene. I'm done. Gotta get married. Oh my god. And he decided to sell the bar, and I couldn't keep I couldn't keep the gym open without why he's backing, so I had to close down too. Poof our little bachelor party lifestyle was shut down. The thing was enough time had passed that I started to think about wrestling again. With a crap I went through took a back seat in my mind with that amazing feeling of being in the ring with a crowd of people hollering and coo and cooing, oh oohing and ooing and aweing to every every move. Plus now I have this body on me. I finally looked like one of those like those heroes I worshiped as a kid. In fact, I look better than them. I don't think I think nobody looked like Hulkogan. It's a story of steroids, that's all it is. It's a story of steroids. But like, nobody looked his size. Ever, No nobody did. I started to wonder if I had a out of Florida and, you know, away from the stigma they had put on me, because of the way I had got into this and got into this thing, you know, maybe there was a chance that I could make the big time. I had a newfound confidence that didn't exist back in Tampa. So I called up Superstar Billy graham Dude, I think my arms are bigger than yours. Now, Dude, I just take my biceps and they're twenty four inches. When Superstar Billy Grahams hit twenty two inches in the mid seventies, they were considered the biggest guns in the world, and all of a sudden, mine were twenty four inches around. I couldn't touch my shoulders for like a year. I was so blowed it out. Graham couldn't believe his ears. If you're that big and you really want to wrestle, I'm gonna send you to Louis Killette, And there it is.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna send you to Louis te Leett, also known as the guy who saw Hull Cogan and Terry bolea first. First, Louis Tillette gets the credit Louis Tillette.
Speaker 3: That's wild. Perhaps it should be Louis Tillay, as he was a French Canaryo brother and.
Speaker 2: And you can imagine as a result of his heritage, close to Under the Giant and close to Pat Patterson as well.
Speaker 3: Sure sure.
Speaker 2: Louis Tillette made his pro wrestling debut in the fifties in Minnesota, and then he ended up in and around Alabama, where he was Gulf Coast Tag team champion with the likes of Jackie Fargo Sonny Fargo. He worked in Texas through the sixties. He was Brass Knucks Champion and uh TECH his Junior heavyweight champion sixty five. He went out to Florida in sixty seven. He was Florida Heavyweight Champion, defeating Lester Welch of Ron Fuller's Welch family. So there's a connection there all the way back in the sixties. He worked with Wahoo McDaniel. He had that up in Los Angeles in the seventies and he worked for Continental which is another word to use for the Southeastern Territory Yeah, to be known as Continental Championship in eighty five, in particular, when Fuller tried to put the band back together and do a promotion from the ashes of his prior enterprise in Knoxville. And after settling in seventy six in Knoxville, he basically spent the rest of his career there and that's where he comes into contact with Terry Bolea. To Lay would wrestle on and off even while booking the territory. To hear, Ron Fuller tellent to cut himself in on talent pay as well as office pay for now.
Speaker 3: And then you know that goes.
Speaker 2: But retired in nineteen eighty two from the wrestling business. He passed away just last year. Wow at well, I forget how old he was actually was he was eighty nine years old.
Speaker 3: Was Louis Toi Lett.
Speaker 2: So kind of a shame that he was gone by the time inspiration struck to do a career retrospective on Hulk like this, because man, what a brain.
Speaker 3: That would have been. Oh God.
Speaker 2: And the fact that I don't see a single interview that exists of Louis to Lett explaining exactly what he saw in Terry Buley and exactly how he executed on it is that that's ridicular hyme and if it actually please surface it for us, that's unacceptable. Actually, yep, absolutely.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 2: A lot of people remembered him fondly upon his passing, but he had this, you know, very regional impact on the business. It was seemed to me to be very easy to be a big deal in pro wrestling in the sixties and seventies and never have really heard of this guy or dealt with him. The part of the country and where Terry Bulay came from and where he tried to really break through in the wrestling business. Louis Tillette was a man maker. And here in his first book, Hogan talks a bit about Louis ti Lett even remembers him being an interesting character. Hogan remembers he had these dentures to Louis Tillette that he would take out after we ate at McDonald's so he could suck the cheese out of his teeth.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, excuse me what now?
Speaker 2: See, I'm surprised that you want me to read that again because I thought that would be just something you'd breeze right by, something that wouldn't be a detail that was really worth anchoring on.
Speaker 3: Definitely not. That's definitely the most important thing you said. This is a man, Louis Tillett, according to Hulk Hogan himself, who is sure to call out little peccadillos like this about everybody he came across. He brings everyone down to earth. Yes, apparently when they'd go to McDonald's, Louis Tillette would take the dentures out of his mouth so he could suck the he's out of his teeth. I mean, you know what, My question is, what's the problem, right? And I think I careful consideration, right, Listen, I'm not I'm listen you know what, and I'll say this, I don't think there's any problem at all. It's he's always curious, not at all. Listen. It definitely does not make me feel uncomfortable nor is it inappropriate. It's just it's just a new a new way of looking at things, and I'm always curious as to how people live their life.
Speaker 2: A new way of looking at things. The boss declares of one Louis Toillette and his acclivities, and the McDonald's, Oh my god, that's so fucking news. Picture that you're sitting there and the guy takes his teeth out of his.
Speaker 3: Face and hearts ah.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 3: You know, you know what I picture. This is what I picture. Okay, this is what I picture. Right, it's gonna be I picture. You remember any of Jones the template Doom? Yes, okay, you know the guy, the guy they're at the dinner scene. The guy takes the fucking and the beatle and takes the shell officers like picking it. That's what a picture. He takes the teethousers picking it. It's like like like taking his finger to m hm.
Speaker 2: God that government cheese too on top of it. Yeah, and you know, because it's like he gets sticky. You know, it's not even like blocks of refuse. But he had an eye for undiscovered talent, or talent that hadn't proven to draw yet but had the potential if if positioned correctly to draw. And here is for the first time on this episode and this leg of the journey, Ron stud himself on the studcast talking about what his booker, Louis to Lette saw Terry Bullet.
Speaker 4: But you know, Louis to Let, it wasn't his first rodeo man as a booker, and he knew how to put a TV together too, And so besides how of an a rock and TV, he was also man out there locating and looking for talent and he had found himself for very green and totally unknown Ras waiting in the wings for his first shot. Had started Man and he's going to be a big name. And as soon as he took the book from my brother Rob in early nineteen seventy nine, he began a talent search across the country. He knew all kinds of people, all lots of promoters, and he had been all around the world wrestling, and so he had connections and he just asked and just kept looking for something different, somebody that could really pop things. So, you know, in the last couple of stuchgas, you kind of begin to see these new wrestlers are arriving and some of the you know, as some of these present wrestlers and started are going to Memphis. He's pretty good at bringing in new people. So Louis had a great relationship with Eddie Graham and my father, and both of those guys were stockholders in the NWA Florida territory, and Louis himself had been the booker in that territory on several occasions over the ten year twelve year period of time. So he contacted Florida office man, which was, you know, been probably my first place to call and ask, you know. And he asked about new guys that we're training, because they trained them there all the time, you know, and anybody that he asked about, anybody who had been recently trained in the old snake Pit. That's what the building was called where they did TV there then that's where they trained at. And basically I kind of grew up in that snake Pit, so I was very familiar with that building. So and he was told about one guy in particular, Charlie Lay was the guy that said at the very Wrestling Office, which was in that same building, been there for many years, and he told Louis that there's this big, huge dude that came come in here.
Speaker 3: Uh his name is.
Speaker 4: Terry Bowlea and uh and you know he said, uh, he's really big that he says, but you know they intended he had They intentionally discouraged him on purpose because of some of the trainers didn't believe he had the proper attitude. So evidently, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: What what do you mean by discouraged him? What do you mean?
Speaker 4: So, well, let's tell you hero. Matt said he'd been training guys that that had grown up in that area, friends of Mike Graham, that went to school with Mike. That turned it to be great. Rather, Matt Suit had trained Dick Slater, it's my job, range Steve Kerr. He trained Dennis McCord, who's going to be the future Austin Idol. That's just the name a few other guys that he trained in a snake pitch. Well, he's the one that is discouraged. That's called it uh uh the future hop uh from continuing to be trained. And he did it by breaking his leg on purpose.
Speaker 3: WHOA, WHOA are you serious about?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 3: Why would he do that?
Speaker 4: Because he didn't think Terry was as committed as he should be to learning to be a wrestler, and you know, he felt like that he wasn't going to be a benefit of the business and and he didn't deserve to be in the business.
Speaker 1: He's a last fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. Sick of the ads. Sign up for ad free shows and even more content at patreon dot com Slash the Lapsed Fan.
Speaker 7: He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and JP Soorro.
Speaker 2: So there you go a lot of different things confirmed there. And when he started saying, you know that Louis to let put the call in it was old pals in Florida and Eddie Graham and stuffed figure out who might be good. I was like, oh, wait a minute, here, maybe is a chance to confirm that they did see potential in the kid and put his name out there.
Speaker 3: But no, it was Charlie Lay.
Speaker 2: Charlie Lay was the guy that Hulk name drops over and over again when telling the story of that part of his career, going into the snake pit and Sportatorium and training un Hero Matsuda. Charlie Lay was the guy that basically you know, sold tickets at the front of the Sportatorium, and he was basically like the building manager, if you will, the office representative in there, and he was the guy that would kind of let Hogan in the side doors and give Hogan a little bit of advice and kind of tell Hogan when he was overstaying as welcome. In certain contexts and situations, you could tell that Hogan really thought Charlie Lay was his eyes and ears in terms of like being close to the power nuclear of Championship Biston from Florida. And how lucky for him that Louis to let phone down there trying to make an impact as a booker that it was Charlie Lay who picked up the phone, because he is the one that named Hal Cloak, not Jerry Brisco, not Bob Orton or Bob Roup, not Eddie or Mike Graham, Charlie Lay, and we're on our way and Louis Wow to let being familiar down there. It's also very fortuitous for Terry that you're in a situation where there's a new booker in a territory and he's trying to make a name for himself, and how do you make a name for yourself draw money with a guy that wasn't already a money draw to begin with. That's what you want to do, but you don't want to upset that apple cart. You know, if Terry was looking to break in at a time when you know the booker and Gulf Coast was the guy that had been there for ten twelve years, something tells me to be a lot harder for him to get this kind of opportunity, because that booker isn't looking to completely reinvent the wheel and create a new reputation for himself. But Louis Tillett was in exactly that position, and so the timing was perfect. As Hogan says in his first book, to Let was this French Canadian guy who were in the Alabama Wrestling Territory, which covered Pensacola and Panama City, basically that whole northern Florida Panhandle. I was pumped, I was ready. I asked Brutus if he wanted to come along. He didn't know a thing about wrestling, but I promised to teach him everything I knew, and I wouldn't torture him like I'd been torkuh So now he does about wrestling. Now, all that training didn't happen in Coco Beach. Apparently all right, we already had the body in the size, and I figured wrestling would be a lot more fun with a partner in crime along for the ride, Which is the inverse of him of at Leslie saying that it was actually him inquiring about becoming a wrestler himself and Coco Beats that got Terry interested in trying wrestling again. Here Terry is taking the initiative, making the contacts and asking Eddie, who has no interest apparently in coming along. He was one hundred percent in Terry writes, and so was I. So we packed up my customized gold Dodge van that I'd bought from Whitey, I said goodbye to Cocoa Beach and I drove off to Alabama. It was the start of a whole new adventure. I'm reminded of some lyrics that Solar System member pointed out on Patreon. Songwrite by the name of Connor Oburst, who wrote a song Cape Canaveral, which of course is proximate to Cocoa Beach. Right there, as we talked about a Whitey Bridges would even set up, like you know, cocktails and promotional events for his bar when people stood around to watch. Tourists would come to watch the launches from Cape Canaveral. And A Kalico is the Solar System member's name, And he pointed out as we were chronicling the end of the Cocoa Beach run for Terry, the lyrics go something like this, and watch the migrants smoke in the old orange grove and the red rocket blaze over Cape Canaveral. You've been a father to me. Your nineteen sixties speak give me comatose joy like rerun TV while the mountainside was shining wild colors of my destiny. I watched your face age backwards, changing shape and my memory. You taught me victory sweet, even deep in the cheap seats. Hey, hey, hey, mother, Interstate, can you deliver me from evil, make me honest, make me wedding cake a tone? I will atone. Wait wait, wait, mighty outer space. All that flying saucer terror made me lazy, drinking lemonade a waste. It just went to waste, like the free on cold out the hotel door, or the white rocket fade over Cape Canaveral. You've been a daughter to me. You're a buried shoe box grief. I felt your poultergeist love like Savannah heat while the waterfall was pouring crazy symbols of my destiny. I watched your face die backwards, little baby, in my memory you told me victory sweet, even deep in the cheap seats. Time to leave Cape Canaveral behind, Boss, time to leave Cocoa Beach behind, and time to make a run for this thiszing.
Speaker 3: Dallas ing up, brother, this thiszzing up brother.
Speaker 2: And my god, does it happen at a good time for cultural inspiration, Because, as we've already referenced, Louis Ferrigno had already taken incredible Hulk to a totally different level under the tutelage of the director.
Speaker 3: What is it? Lee Johnson?
Speaker 2: Know, Ken Ken, Ken Johnson? How could I forget the former slick or the future slick?
Speaker 3: Of course not, but.
Speaker 2: Great chronicling of all of the kind of conceptual and creative back and forth about what the Ferigno hope would look like. We talked about how there was even an argument to make Hulk red instead of green. Oh my god, I couldn't help but perk up when Ron Fuller and that clip we just played sat hulkless green. It's like, yeah, you better believe he fucking was.
Speaker 3: You better believe he was.
Speaker 2: And it leads to the most apocryphal of Hogan tales. And this is something that I defy you to find anything close to empirical proof of. But it sets us on the course to see this initial run as not only a huge breakthrough for Terry Bolea, but in my opinion, to my thesis, a constant running away from being sued by Marvel for ripping off the Hulk like this to make a note for himself. This is from Hogan's second book, and to hear him tell it, this is how the worlds of loof for Rigno's Hulk and his wrestling Hulk collide in Alabama. You know, later on, while I was wrestling for Louis to Lay, I showed up at a morning talk show in Mobile, Alabama to promote a wrestling event. The other guest was a guy named lou f Forrigno, who was staring with Bill Bixby on a TV show called The Incredible hulk If. Rigno was travel around the country to plug his series, which wasn't doing so well in the ratings, which if you know, if he listened, wasn't well in the ratings. We know it was doing exceptional phenomenal in the ratings. It was doing exceptionally well in the ratings all in, and when it could talk about it seemed like to be right.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was, you know, within the top fifty shows pretty much its entire run at a time when that rually bent something, it did mean something for forty nine and fifty were doing huge numbers compared to today. Right, So in between shooting schedules, they kept him on the road working all the local markets, which also they didn't. Okay, like I'm going to tell you this, I don't know if I even really brought this up as much, but if you do, so, I did do lengthy, lengthy, lengthy searches to you know, in different you know, like I went down I went, I tried. I went down my own, my own rabbit hole, okay, trying to find any evidence of this. I wanted to find something. I wanted to see if there was any inkling that they were ever on a talk show together. So I would just sometimes even do just do a search for Lou Farigno and just isolate the area, like isolate Alabama for example, and see what you know where lufrigo and you know, it still brings out so many different But what I did notice was that there he was on talk shows. These were nationally televised talk shows. These are not local talk shows. Not once did any local newspaper ever say, hey, he's going to be on our little fucking rinkeddink talk show. Never. It was always big Lu Forrigno was a big star at that point, and not just because of the hope, but because of pumping iron like it's to even insinuate that he was doing something like that was just complete it's just complete blowney. Yeah, especially for him to be on the same TV show as this local rest right right. I find that because here's the thing. He was Hulk for the beginning, right right, There wasn't it. There wasn't like a period where he was in Alabama for a while and they weren't calling the Hulk. All the evidence we have, and the testimony we have from A. Ron Fuller, is that he was brought in and called the Hulk from the beginning. There was a time when he was called Stertling, the Hulk Golden, but the Hulk was always in play, according to ron fully and according to the results you see everywhere. So where is this time period for him You're going to read the rest of the story, But where is this time period for people to get the bright idea to call him the Hulk? After he had already been a big enough star in Alabama to be invited on a local talk show in the first place, right exactly, So, in between shooting schedules, they kept him on the road working on all the local markets. And when I got on the show, the host looked at for Ignot and he looked at me and he said, my, oh my god, you're bigger than Loof for Regno, you're bigger than the Hulk. And I said, that's because I'm the real Hulk. Just in case Lou.
Speaker 2: Doesn't confirm that this ever happened, Hulk Scott an Ason the hole on that one, doesn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, I have a gift to gab and Lou had a bit of a speech impediment at that time, and as a result of a hearing loss.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to to run him down hearing loss. If Lou doesn't remember someone saying that about him being bigger than Lou.
Speaker 3: For Rigno, right, which also the the last clip that I that I played too. I was worrying that you were going to come up with some thing where says he remembers the talk show. But no, and and and they and the best and the thing is like the the the the local Tampa news, they say, And Lou Forigno even met and remembers the show. They say that, But not once does Lou Figno ever mention talk show he talks about at the scene. He says, when Hogan came on the scene, he does not talk about a talk show. He does not talk about anything in that regard, which also means like, why are you saying he remembers something when he doesn't even mention it, right, Like what do you? What is that?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: To me is weird journalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they probably read like a Wikipedia about this story that we're reading right now and asked him about it, and Frigno probably just said, yeah, yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 3: You know, kind of blee past it.
Speaker 2: Because if they had Lou Frigno on tape in that interview confirming the day he was in the studio when He'll Cogan got the name, they would play that clip exactly it is somewhere lu Frigna would have said it one. I mean, Metallico was asked about Hogan. Laila Ali was asked about the whole Hogan, you know, getting the phone call preventing his suicide. We played it on total NonStop Hogan. She was like, I remember doing that. Eventually people are going to ask the subjects of these stories about this, right, And again, what's so weird is that they that they would, you know, ask and he wouldn't even he didn't say it, and they still say that he said it. And this gets to part of my thesis of why Hulk himself always severely underplayed this part of his career in life is it's because it puts a date specific on how long back prior from a prior use copyright perspective, he was out there calling himself the Hulk. And we know from from court filings that Marvel had a copyright on The Incredible Hulk since May twelfth, nineteen seventy. Republications, Books, magazine Stories, they had a copyright since nineteen sixty three on just the word Hulk in publications, they had a copyright since eighty three for Hulk for toys, games, and play things, which is going to be a problem when a certain company wants to start, yeah, marketing toys and things. But going all the way back to even the sixties, they have a claimer in this name, of course, like.
Speaker 3: If you have a plus the host did my job for me. Gosh, you said your arms are so much bigger than his and looks as if you arm wrestled him and you break his arm. Actually, lou Forrigno was an unbelievable, unbelievable specimen, a real dedicated bodybuilder, and his arms were in much better shape than mine. But I had more bulk on me, and my clothes were probably tighter, so I looked larger. And that night when I got to the arena and went back to the locker room, all the boys started to call me Hulk, and they said they saw me on television. I was bigger than Lou Forigno, and the name just stuck, just stuck.
Speaker 2: Whenever someone says just stuck, it's always false. It's such a bold just stick, give me a break. So I mean, for what it's worth, Meltzer said in his obituary on Hogan, this was totally made up, Like this is just not not something that happened. And again, it's just you would think if it did, we would have heard about it. And even if it did, there's no way he wasn't being called the Hulk before this. And if you want proof to that degree, why don't we just turn to the folder boss. I mean, let's start marching through some of these materials that we have to present to the solar system. This is March twenty second of seventy nine. Okay, who's coming in? Why don't you read this article from the Panama City, Florida News Herald, Sunday, March eighteenth, nineteen seventy nine, Sunday, March very first one. You see right there in the Alabama twenty second That's what I meant.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Oh okay, okay, yep. Ken Lucas Hulk on Wrestling Bill Hulk Es yep. Some new faces, including the Hulk six foot six inch, two hundred and ninety nine pound wrestler, will be on next Thursday Night's card at Bowl Air Wrestling Arena. Ken Lucas an old favorite, we'll be back in action here. He is remembered by many fans as one of the best grapplers ever to hit this section. The main event will be a Death Texas Deaf Match notice qualification between two masked men, The Rough Gladiator and the and the Wrestling Pro. These are all fucking great names. Wrestling Pro Ken Lucas Gladiator, the Rough Gladiator and the Wrestling Pro who prefers to wrestle clean falls will not count in this match, which will end only when one of the two men is unable to continue. A tag match between will Pit the Rough team of David, Doctor d Schultz and pretty Boy Wayne Ferris Oh against Lucas and Norville Austin. Yes, there will be a special challenge match between Terry Latham brother and the Rugged Eddie Sullivan.
Speaker 2: So Wayne Ferrow, what's that way? But no talking about who the Hulk is facing though I doubt it's just the Hulk is going to be there and it doesn't say Terry Boulder. So if you're going to tell me that, yeah, he came up with the Hulk name after because he was on this talk show and he came in as Terry Boulder, then what this is the earliest you'll see any reference in any database Terry Bully A wrestling in Alabama. There's a contemporaries news clipping right here of the show, and they call him the Hulk. Okay, it's extremely clear what it is they're doing them. They're using this this mark without any permission whatsoever and running away with it. And that's going to catch up to them eventually. Not them, that is to say, but Hulk as he tries to continue building a multi million dollar enterprise and franchise around this name without ever bothering to see if Marvel has.
Speaker 3: A problem with it. Yep, better believe they will.
Speaker 2: Of course, The Wrestling Pro was their masked version of you know, mister Wrestling or whatever you want to say, the highly technical masked babyface that most territories seem to have a version of the grappler.
Speaker 3: With another one. Fucking funny. This is hilarious, Like, you know, I'm having this masked. I mean, honestly, it's no different than doink, right, you know, it's the same fucking thing, the clown who can fucking wrestle, let's take it. It sounds like pretty much every wrestler to the next next week, I believe. The next clipping we have here, this is also from the News Herald in Panama City and it's March twentieth, seventy nine. Let me read it please? Oh yeah, wrestling title about tonight, Norville, Austin popular the wrestling fans in these parts will try to dislodge David Doctor D Schultz from his Gulf Coast Heavyweight Championship belt. In one of the main events tonight at Bowl Air Wrestling Arena, a six man tag team will be a co feature. It will pit Rip Tyler, Eddie Sullivan and the Masked Gladiator against the people's choice of Ricky Fields, Terry Latham and Roy Welch. The wrestling pro will take on the Hulk what six six and seventy five pound Mammoth in a challenge match.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and seventy five pound Mammoth is Advertisemoth the Hulk.
Speaker 3: That's it. The Hulk Ben Alexander will wrestle Pretty Boy Ferris, and there will be another match beginning at eight pm.
Speaker 2: Be there, indeed, Pretty Boy Wayne Ferris of course the future Hunky tonk Man. Yes, we'll also wrestle in this territory as Punk Rock Wayne Ferris, which is a hilarious event.
Speaker 3: That's a very fucking funny, funny thing to think about. Punk Rock Wayne Ferris. That's wild.
Speaker 2: As we'll talk about further, this is where hul Cogan met David Schultz and formed a friendship that ended up having so many different twists and turns and so many different ramifications on hul Cogan's life and career, from working with Schultz as a top opponent in the AWA to Schultz being the one that was out there in front of the media cameras when Hulk was denying steroid use in ourcineo hall, going on shows like Inside Edition and phone and radio shows, talking to pretty much seemed like anyone who would listen as he was working on a book, and things about how Hulk would shoot up steroids when they were friends. Guess where in this territory the Gulf Coast or in fact, for a time Hulk Cogan even lived with David Schultz and in exchange for what you'd ask, well, not exactly rent money. Yes, according to David Schultz. As we'll get to, so you're trying to see this is the first time ever that newspaper readers would start to hear about the Hulk and think about Terry Bolea is massive. This is South Eastern Championship wrestling. That's pretty much the the go to market name of the territory. And so while we've got to quin ourselves, we've got to do this. It's got to be done. Even though very limited footage exists. Here's what it would have sounded like when folks PLoP down in front of their TV and mobile or Montgomery or I don't know, how about a little uh dothan oh yet to take it in.
Speaker 6: South Eastern Championship rustlay handle waders and television wrestling with let's.
Speaker 4: Grant Instant and other technical persons.
Speaker 6: In the program, A number one by the Wrestling Whitiers Federation Join us Now, or a fast faced competition the Professional Wrestling Patraul topspuires from the world's largest governing body, the National Wrestling Alliance.
Speaker 2: So that's fucking amazing nowhere in the seventies, I mean.
Speaker 3: A South Eastern Championship Rusty just.
Speaker 2: That, you know, join us who is just some guy, like some pro voiceover guy. He doesn't have to sound like people in the market do. It's about polish, it's about sounding like big time TV even in a small time market. And yeah, it's brilliant, and yeah they had a lot of from what I was gathering and listening, it sounds like they had a lot of those world class streaks of like you know, doing some innovative things around producing like split screen. There are a couple of things that they would do in the Southeastern TV shows that, at least to hear Ron Fuller tell it, were innovations and televised wrestling, and we'll get into more of those as we go. So March twenty second, nineteen seventy nine, Panama City, and you saw the clippings there that speak to it. It's pretty much considered Hulk Cogan's first match back in the wrestling business after the short lived Florida run that we've talked about. It was against Ben Alexander win or unknown. But Ron Fuller now is going to be in control of this guy's career. And fortunately for Hulk, Ron has a history with Andre the Giant as well. They had teamed together in the past. Andre had gone to work for offices operated by him and his brother and his father in touring the country and Andre had a respect from Ron Fuller and this would definitely help when it comes to matching up this young kid Terry Bolea with an opponent that would, by God define his whole cash cow. I mean, yeah right, his whole fucking rezon Deetra was to work against Andre the Giant and the fact that Andre the Giant saw in this massive hulk a guy that actually could present a physical, credible threat to him in the eyes of the wrestling fan, which is very important because Andrea almost always worked as a baby face, and when you're a babyface, you are always looking out for heels. They can get heat on you even though you're that size. And so another great serendipity in terms of when he decided to lean back into pro wrestling is it was at the time not only that Louis Tilllette was taking the book and things were changing over there, but also that Andre was interested in helping out a territory that was really small compared to some of the other buildings he would work because of his relationship with Ron Fuller and his interest in working with someone of that size, and Louis to let knowing Andre well enough to frame it that way in terms of why eventually he might want to come down here at Alabama and I give this Terry Buley a whirl, but to get a little bit more on Ron Fuller and how he came across in the territory. We're going to convey a little bit of a tape here. This is Ron Fuller in studio with the voice of Southeastern Wrestling. His name was Charlie Platt. You can think of him as as the Gordon Soley or the Caddle of the Territory, the the trod Guard, or even the gene Oakerland. He's the guy at the studio desk monitoring affairs, and here he is talking to Ron Fuller in characters the Tennessee stud.
Speaker 9: Oh, there's a mask in his hand, and quite frankly, I'm sure that the audience in many fans would like to know why you're appearing today as Ron Fuller.
Speaker 10: Well, Charlie, i'd like to Let's let's start off with that. I was in the came back into the Southeastern area after losing the Loser League Town. I wore the mask until my time had expired. I can legally wrestle in the Southeastern areas Ron Fuller from this point on, however, I'm not going to wrestle as Ron Fuller. I'm going to continue to wrestle as a Tennessee stud I've got my reasons for that, and I'm not going into that right now.
Speaker 3: I will say this.
Speaker 10: Though, that I've worn the mask several times in my career. I've never had anyone take this mask off my faith. If anyone does take this mask off in any place in the Southeastern area at any time whatsoever, for any reason, if they're able to remove this mask from my face and the match, I will leave the Southeastern area immediately. And that's my word on that. Now. Secondly, let's go into something that's more important to me than wearing the mask right now. My brother's in the hospital. He's not gonna be wrestling for a while. He's had a concussion. Not only that, he has a neck injury. He's in bad shape. And it's because of two gentlemen, and that's Arnt Anderson and Jerry Stubbs, and you could say Sonny King too, because the three men, and I've had calls for everybody all over the country. I've chosen myself a special partner for an upcoming match, and I'm very happy with the partner I have.
Speaker 9: Charlie, we're talking about the eighth Wonder of the World, Andre the John A handicap matchup coming in the arena this week today.
Speaker 2: There you go, so Ron with Andre and yes that is that Arn Anderson. He in fact broke in. His first territory in the business was Gulf Coast down in Alabama, trained under a wrestler they had there by the name of, I believe Terry Allen, but not magnantier Terry Allen. Another one interesting yep. So he came up through that circuit as well, and it was a great place to learn because it wasn't beamed out across its own borders. You know, It's like Portland in that regard. You know, you could find yourself, you could make some mistakes, you could just get the reps in to be successful in the bigger territories. They had the studio format, you can practice promos with the studio audience. They had the turnaround from the studio television show to draw people into the building that night. Just like you know, whenever we go back and look at territories, we're always so amazed. Like you know, you watch TBS and then you go to the Omni that night, you know, and what happened on TBS is a last ditch effort to get you to buy a ticket to just run out of the house and get there.
Speaker 3: It's fucking great. That's how it was.
Speaker 2: Guys like Bullet Barb Armstrong and his family of course Road Dog's dad, they're all over this area as well and are central to the wrestling identity of the region. You heard him name drop arn Anderson and under the Giant here's and you could tell too, he's very much Ron Fuller in that gimmick there, in that voice. He's very much like the straight laced Jack Brisco style seventies babyface, ernest to light. He's not screaming and hollering and pointed at the at the camera. You know, he's everything that Dusty was able to stand out in such great contrast to, you know, as a baby face. And then Billy graanmt's case is a heel. And the reason those guys stood out of such wild, colorful characters is most people sounded, including the top guys, like Ron Fuller did in that promo right there. That's kind of sit down, hyper serious sportsmanlike sound. But he's out for revenge. And this is what it would have sounded like hearing the plugging of the live shows off the TV down in Gulf Coast. As I mentioned at the time, this is of course before hul Cogan's arrival there Terry Bullay's arrival, but it features a series of names you might recognize as we continue to acquaint ourselves with the sights and sounds of the territory that Terry first broke out.
Speaker 11: In the excitement of Southeastern Championship Workling comes to Boving MLM. It's felt World Evaluatoriam Monday Night, April the twenty third, and a PM Tommy Gilbert meet Tlip Johnson, just tigned by Southeastern Riffling. Tony Cooks versus Rick McGrath then to Tony Reck Battleship runners on non title mets because of today's way in incident Canadian death Match in effect, Shah Rujoe take Tom Vick Green for the Southeastern Heavyweight Championship. Timmy Golden defends Agains Boris sirkof the just because of the incident Justine on TV. That's the main event Southeastern tig teen titles is the Tennessee Son and Bob Armstrong meet Terry Subbs and Arn Anderson Monday Night at Daltwell Auditorium.
Speaker 2: A lot of names you recognized in there. Jock Awkwrus show, Jimmy Golden was in fact the future Bunk house Buck, a cousin cousin of the Fullers slash well right, well, he's in the mix as well. I do think that the Sterling Golden name was kind of a almost like how Billy Graham was like loosely affiliated with Luke Graham and doctor Jerry Graham. He's kind of introduced as like a distant relative of the Grahams or something, and it kind of fell off as the time went. I think Sterling Golden was supposed to be associated with Jimmy Golden and family. I think wasn't just because he had yellow hair, but that if those representations were made to the fans, they melted away very very quickly. Interesting that wasn't part of the presentation for very long. But here on his podcast, Ron Fuller talks in a bit greater detail about what it was that made this Terry Boley special in his eyes.
Speaker 4: Well, Terry Bollia in the future Hulk Hogan. You know, he had a unique body. Obviously, he had muscles on top of muscles man, and he had an nate, very rare charisma about him that you know, you just can't teach that to somebody. You know, he either got it a you don't. And he had this mooming voice and had an attitude that was perfect for a heel or a babyface. Once you got him over as an attorneyan babyface, Wow, it works there too. So something about him was special of the fans from the first time they saw him. Man, and he is going to go on to become maybe the most recognizable professional wrestler in the history of the sport. Undoubtedly. I don't believe there's anybody that'd argue with that.
Speaker 2: There you go, and we'll get to it. He'll eventually acknowledge that lu Frigno ripping off Luffrigno was the motivation for the name. But there's what he's seeing in the Terry Boleya.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Rod Fuller had been the owner of the territory for only four years when Terry Bullya came in, and he bought it at only thirty one years of age, So that was very young for a guy to be running a territory at a time when that was a it was kind of like a cushy thing with the NWA overlay keeping competitors out. But my God, is being that young and having all the money in the controllery make other people want to challenge you and make other people want to make it seem like you don't know what they're doing so they can try to move in and take over your territory. And Ron Fuller would not only feel that pressure, he would feel it in nineteen seventy nine at the precise time that Terry Boleya is starting to show incredible returns at the box office, and Ron Fuller's attention is anywhere, but he really can't even afford to focus on it because people are coming for the throne. They're coming for his territory. They're running oppositioned him in Knoxville, and that's where all of his attention will go. And a lot of those people that are doing that to Ron Fuller are people that were in and around the Florida territory when Terry Bulla first broke in down there. A lot of them are wrestlers who would come into the Imperial Room when Terry was up there with the bass guitar. So it's a small world, indeed, and I believe loyalties will be tested in that regard. But it's important to know that about Ron Fuller. The TV show would hit Doth in his mentioned Montgomery, it would hit Mobile, eventually would hit Birmingham, Alabama.
Speaker 3: That would be not for a while though.
Speaker 2: It would emanate out of a small studio of a television station called w tv Y and Doth in Alabama, south eastern Gulf Coast. Unbelievable. So we're gonna go to the book here Terry Bolea writing about this time and hitting the road. This is going to be kind of a compendium of things he said in both of his books. To get us acquainted, brute Is and I looked a lot alike after our year in Cocoa Beach. We both had blonde hair, we both had mustaches, we both we were both juiced up musclemen. So we started wrestling as the Boulder Brothers, you know, Terry Boulder and Ed Boulder, and a lot of people assumed we were really brothers, and we were certainly as close as brothers. Traveling around the Alabama territory was fun at first, you know, we get to the arenas early and I'll take Brutus into the ring to teach him the ropes. So we taught him on the fucking road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here we go again. Right, did did he fucking smarten him up before?
Speaker 8: Or what?
Speaker 3: When did he smart him up?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 3: And I know where?
Speaker 7: What? When?
Speaker 2: How am I the only person that cares about when? Like, isn't that a huge fucking question? Why can isn't it? Isn't it the question?
Speaker 3: I would think so honestly, Like it should be the least one of using one When exactly when? Is the most important anything, frustrating, any difficult question answers? It regards the clowns, any anything when it comes to these fucking clowns. When is always the problem unless it's on film and like timestamped, like no one can agree on even men, No one fucking knows. Even then they fucking lie, grab three or four of the other wrestlers and would show him how to work a match, how to fall without killing yourself. I don't make it look like you were wrenching a guy's arm without actually snapping his wrists or breaking his elbow. That's actually not that hard, you know that, that's actually one of the easier ones. You know, you just you don't even hold onto his fucking wrist, like there's nothing there, Uh Louis to lay locked us and put us out there seven days a week. But we were hardly making any money, only take home twenty five or thirty dollars a night. So rather than waste our dough on hotels, the two of us just slept in my van. It was carpeted and had a loft bed where I could where I would sleep, had a fucking kitchen it brother you know, had a gas stove. Yeah right, Brutus had full plumbing. Brother at two you know it is a two bath. There's a three bedroom, two bath van. Brother, that's a huge van. And then lived in a van. I mean, think about Hogan and Eddie Boulder. How the fuck they fit? I know, all juice, these gargantuan men, A couple of Tampa boys, bacon in the fucking mobile, Alabama son living in a van, work in the territory. I picture them like, you know, can you imagine on the side of the van. They've got like beach chairs, and they got those you know, they get those uh the way like a trig like a or a big green egg. Yeah, and they got those those those uh what do you call like like foil like things, you know, they get the reflector them for their tamming. Yeah, they're sitting out there leaning back. Oh my god, I would have you know. That happened every fucking day. The two was just sleep in the van that was carbon and Moa Bruce was settled on the end on the floor. Is how do you have a loft bed in a fucking van? Can you can someone?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I call it loft And I've seen bunk bed style inside a like an r V trailer, but not a.
Speaker 3: Van, right right, Like if you're talking about a van, like I'm trying to think carpeting, how do you fit like to me? To have a bed even have to have a a a single bed, you know, like a dorm sized, normal sized person for a normal sized person, that's gonna take up the whole fucking van, the big the whole back of the van, A big van, like a human trafficking van. I mean, I guess, but Jesus Christ, I mean, what does he fucking got a U haul or something? Maybe that's what it is. You know, it's perfectly comfortable for a while. Now. Pensacola Beach was central to just about all the venues we hit, so We parked the van right there most knights and basically made that parking lot our home. You know, there were public restrooms, so we had to place to shower, ship ship the place to ship right, oh, total place shower, ship and shave in the mornings. There was a great little all you can eat restaurant nearby too. Man, they were scared when they saw me and walking out about food. By the way, he was basically that guy in bigger, faster strunger who lives in the fucking Venice Golds Gym parking lot. Yeah, right, exactly. I mean listen, they were they these people were as scared of Hulk Hogan and Brutus beef Cake as the as the the Boulder Colorado Taco bell is scared of fucking Vader. Yes, all right, you know, I don't know if they probably don't throw people like Vader would do, but still it would be necessary. It's like they know, they know that they're gonna make that they're not gonna they're gonna have a bad, a bad day. It's an all you can eat restaurant, and these two guys coming in the morning. They're shutting down at nine am, solutely and they're not making a fucking dime that day, and think of how big those guys were, Like, there's no way you think you can feed these guys till they're falling. You have to Yeah, here, he says, right here, we eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in one sitting. We'd clean the place out right exactly so like these people would make no money, they'd basically be serving two meals, you know, they they you know, all you can eat. That's dangerous with these fucking clowns, very dangerous, very dangerous. Don't even exists anymore, like the old country buffet set up a No, I haven't seen it all you can eat place in a long time. No, definitely, definitely, I have not seen one post COVID for sure. You know, I imagine a lot of I imagine a lot of those places closed down during COVID. Absolutely. There are a couple of the wrestlers who were living out of their van on that beach too. These Simoan guys name often Sika, who became known as the Wild Simans years later when we were all on TV. They pretended to be these wild brothers who were pulled right out of a jungle somewhere to wrestle and who couldn't speak English at all. Actually they spoke English just fine. I mean, right, that's just fine. I mean I don't know, they smoke it completely clearly and fluently. Yeah, apparently, you know. And we all became friends, you know, just parking our vans by the sand. It was a perfect place for Brutus and me to work on our tans. I remember that feeling of walking out on that sand in the morning, looking on the ocean, you know, feeling the wind. Not a bad way to live, between wrestling seven days a week, tanning all the time, and continuing the steroids off perfect to that bronze god a look, oh my god, big super tan guy on a beach in Alabama. The golden that golden fucking color. All right, just that may just imagine, Like I I want to know, I really want to understand the mentality of like needing to tan, right, like needing to tan. I don't get it. I mean, yes, you know, like you go on vacation. It's like, yes, you know, I want to get I want I want to I want to come back looking like I went on vacation. I get it, But like I don't understand this need to always be golden tan. And where that comes from.
Speaker 2: I think it comes from like the original Hollywood stars being all bronzed because they were in the sun all the time, and people associated Hollywood good looks with sun tans.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess it's so funny. It works, and people guess people, I guess it's funny that that people people were so obsessed with having a darker shade of skin. Yet there's so much racism.
Speaker 2: Well well, especially after so many centuries of that being a mark of being a peasant essentially right enough money to stay out of the sun, you know.
Speaker 3: Right in the fields. You know, it's like it's just so fucking funny, like it's so bizarre to me, Like, but oh, it's all California.
Speaker 2: It's all going to be tanned out there, and that's where all the bodybuilders were and so they were tan as well. And it works, it has, especially if you're working.
Speaker 3: If you are working, you know, muscle Beach, I totally get that, because I mean, you're that's an outdoor gym. You know, that is an outdoor gym, and that's where everyone is at. Sure, I get that.
Speaker 2: I remember Arn Anderson once said it always stuck with me. He's like, you know, fat looks better tann And it's true, like he was always a guy that was never cut, but when he was tan, he didn't look out of shape. But if he was pale, he looked like a fat motherfucker. Yeah, I look out of shape either way. That doesn't say it works for everybody, but I mean it's absolutely true that like you look more uh easier on the eye when when you're tan. Yeah, we've seen John Dina go like like pasty white, and it's it's alarming. It's a difficult watch. Yeah, but I also don't consider him to be like crazy tan either. You know that's the thing about John Cena, Like, I don't think he was ever crazy fucking tan. Yeah, he's very few went to the degree Hulk did. I mean, very few could if they wanted to. I love when he says in his book it's because I'm half Pandamanian. It's like your mother was not from Panama. She lived there, Panama Canal Project. She fu you can't you can't clean, you can't clean Panamanian.
Speaker 3: The fact that he.
Speaker 2: Said that so fucking ridiculous. It's like it's so your dad's Italian blood, Like, why is it right? Why are you trying to run away from that? I don't get it right. Well, what Vince told me to do, I see to to be irish brother. Yeah right, it'srobably true. He didn't want to be too much like Bruno. Didn't surprise me. If that was part of the calculus, that's probably true too. Yeah, that's a good point that they looked gave me just a little something extra in the wrestling ring. You know, technically I wasn't the best wrestler. I wasn't quick, wasn't athletic. I understand, Yes, you are athletic, right, I mean that's you have to be. Like even even the most grotesque fat guys in the business are fucking athletic. You know, you can't fuck hit the ropes up the athletic sports like the sports you didn't play. I know, I know, seems fucking weird, these weird lies. They fucking tell when I couldn't jump off the top ropes, which I've seen him do, I know?
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah. On the other hand, I wasn't in an old fashioned, thick headed fat wrestler either. I was right in between. And the more I wrestled, the more I developed my own style. In fact, it was right during the time that this time I s heard of using the leg drop to finish off my opponents. The crowds went nuts for it. I don't understand this is a late drop. I guess was it a big deal? I mean, just can't. It's a funny move for.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that's bullshit too, because his first finisher was the bear hug Well on the late drop we did. We did surmise on one of our last episodes that maybe because apparently Wolfman Smith, the guy he replaced in his first match, used the leg drop, that Terry just adopted it.
Speaker 3: But I don't think so. And this is from Hogan Book one. I got to be real good friends with him because Edda, Lelie and I would sleep in my van on the beach in pat penc to Cola owing something in a van in a van there too. We're all sleeping on the beach because we didn't have the money to pay for a hotel room. We'd get up in the morning and use a public shower as a shower and shave not shit apparently, and hang out on the beach until three or four o'clock. Then we would drive the New Brunswick or Mobile or Montgomery or wherever we were wrestling that Matt Night, small territory, just a couple one hundred miles each way, so I didn't take so it didn't take more than a few hours to get to the venue. Did you imagine going to the building seeing this guy under the lights, looking like a superstar, looking like a fucking god among men, and he's living in a van on the beach. He has no apartment, he has no home. I mean, that's you know, to imagine any of these guys who you're paying money to see. Whenever you pay money to see somebody, it's really weird to me. To me, it's always a weird, even even when you consider, honestly, when you consider any job, any job that requires you to pay to see somebody, it is a wild thing to consider that they don't have but they don't make enough money doing that to really live a life. I mean, even going to regional theater shows, it's like you're paying to see these actors perform for the circus, but most of them are not living. Oh god, they don't even fucking I mean, that's even a whole other fucking shit show. I mean, Jesus Christ, the circus is a scary fucking thing, folks. I you know, we went I went to I went to a circus show. Recently, like within the last couple of years. We took we took my kid and some friends to go to the circus in uh, like where was it? The Big Apple Circus is a big Apple circus still going around. I think it was a Big Apple Circus because they were at Lincoln Center, all right, And I don't know if you've been to the circus, Like, yeah, it's like it's amazing and what they've done to the show. They've made it this thing, but it's also like still sad and pathetic. Yess correct, because like they're now they're now kind of glamorizing this completely pathetic. I mean, wrestlers are not to there's a reason that Wringling Brothers is the comp right right, No, listen, it's like because like, but but you're you're and as a part of me that totally understands. I mean, look, these people have found a family and they found the people that they can you know, they can they can succeed, So God bless them for that good. Good for you. I'm not, but like it's also still like this, this this like this is your hope and dream is being in the circus, and it's like, okay, like I don't know, they're they're they're it's mean, it's mean to say this, but it is. There's just a sadness to it. When you kind of look at the people who are doing this, it's like, Okay, I mean, this is the best you can do. So as you consider some of the risks. I know, and I think about it, I mean, I want to know where they're living. I want to see what they're foud away to see it, all right. I want to see because I know circus is a is a non union job. There is no protection whatsoever. See you, I'm like, no way, man, As far as I know it's an on union job. I can't imagine that this fucking circus is a union job. I think setting it up is probably an union job. But performing I imagine, yes, I imagine the people who are who are building that. You have to have union guys building up all your fucking sets and your tents and whatever. But to actually fucking do it, I don't. I can't imagine that being a union job. I can't imagine a union wanted to cover that ship A good look at health insurance too, exactly, I walk on, yeah, exactly, you know, and I mean, you know it's a you know you you look at you look at an actor on in regional production of a show. You know, there they come from out of town. Oh we got New York actors going to go to Alabama. It's like, oh my god, look at this like the works it does. But then you look at the fact that you're not making enough money to fucking live off of that. Even if you were making if you were making like they couldn't, you wouldn't. You wouldn't get it. They wouldn't they wouldn't be hiring people. They couldn't afford to pay people what they what it's it's awful, That's how right. That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's what That's what it is like. You know, these people going to these matches and they're seeing it. And again I think it has to do with I'm paying to see you, right, I'm giving you my money, so you must be living a great lifestyle. And granted Hogan saying he was it was very it was very free. It was a choice of van. Right, he didn't have a choice living out of his van with a fucking roommate. Nonetheless in his fucking vant to him right exactly, like like, come on, it's it's just like, I don't know, it's a it's a very it's such a such a fascinating it's more of the facade, it is exactly. That's part of the hustle is making it seem like these people are larger than life, and in factually they're barely living their life and they're actually making less than the people who think they're making a millionaires. It the people buying the tickets are more likely making more money. That's why they need you.
Speaker 2: If they're making more than you, they wouldn't have to beg you to come to the arena and cut promos like act like their life is on the line every single week. That's it's amazing. And you know one thing I didn't appreciate either, is how far back he went with the Samoans. That's actually huge when you think about future you know, lineage in future generations of the family. And look why he probably didn't hesitate to say, fine, I'll put yoko over them out of here. I'm not putting bread over I'll put yoko over the ties that bind are all starting to set in right here. Honky tonk Kayne Ferris follows him to WWF. Doctor d David Schultz gets some a job in WWF from the beginning awa as well, it gets Beefcake a job, follows him right in the door. There's a couple of other guys that are going to come through the territory that he looks out for. Randy Coley is one of them, future Moondog, who he worked with and who actually testified in the steroid trial, and who even as according to Meltzer told her of much Nick that Hulk was his fucking hook up for whatever he needed when he was in the Gulf Coast area. It's not just David Schling this and many others. So Hulk's starting to build these relationships too. In Pensacola, of course, being the heart of this territory, or at the heart, but a key stop in this territory. Roman Reigns is from Pensacola, and that's because the whole family coalesced around this territory and the very very beginning stages of their wrestling careers often SICCA and so there's a lot to be said about that. And the fact that they were not just working in the same territory but kind of like I guess, roommates, just not they didn't live in an actual building, they didn't live in an actual enclosure says a lot too. And Beefcake's gonna have some great color also about life in the van with the Samoans. But are you done with your your snippet I was trying to follow, Yeah, here, yes, all right, here's Beefcake. Pensacola was perfect for us. We pretty much were brand new working in the territory. With many shows only a few hundred miles away from each other. It was a great way to break in because you had at least a little time before shows to breathe. Pensacola was very unlike Bill Wats's Mid South territory, where you were constantly on the run, having to drive all day and night to get to the next town. The first show we did with the promotion was Panama City. We were there on a Thursday night, walking in all excited to be finally showing off our new personas some of the wrestlers you may have heard of in this territory were the Monkey tonk Man, David Schultz, Don Fargo in the Wild Samoans. In my very first match, I didn't team with Terry just yet. They put Terry out in a single spout and they had me tag with a guy named Ron Slinker, an ex police officer turned wrestler, real nice guy. We worked against the tagson combination of Eric the Red an Ox Baker. Wow, another guy he's going to very much come into contact with in this territory indeed. And so it's important to note that while Hogan and Ed arrived together, well, Terry and Ed arrived together in Gulf Coast, they weren't aligned as Bolder brothers yet, and they weren't even wrestling with each other. In fact, if you look at any match listing of Ed Boulder's history, he didn't even wrestle in nineteen seventy nine in a Golf Coast. He didn't show him at all wrestling there until nineteen eighty, after Terry had already moved to New York. So it's very confusing to me why these matches seem to happen at the same time Before Memphis in Gulf Coast, yet there's no evidence of Hulk and had being on the same car.
Speaker 3: I know it's so. I mean, I again, only in my limited looking through stuff, try to find that fucking Brigno. You know that take show, that yeah, that talk show. It's like, you know, all the there's nothing. There's not a mention of Ed Boulder or any other name for Brutus Beefcake. I haven't thought he was Eddie Sullivan for a second, but he was. That was another guy.
Speaker 2: But I think what it pretty much was was while Ed Leslie was on the road with Terry in this territory, he wasn't working hardly as much. He was basically learning by hanging around. And while he did seem to be getting some matches, for whatever reason, they weren't on cards that went down in the history books that people actually recorded the results of. Because I do believe all this stuff about them living in the van together and stuff. But if you look at his like wrestling data list of matches, he doesn't start wrestling in this territory until nineteen eighty. It's not like there's no mention of him wrestling in the territory. There's plenty of stuff on him working here, it just doesn't start till after Terry leaves. You do see him working with Terry in Memphis coincident with the Gulf Coast run. At the same time they're going back and forth at certain junctures, but nothing really like this match doesn't exist in any record. You'll see ed Leslie against Eric the Redknox Baker. So it's kind of frustrating, but I guess we're just going to have to believe that ed Leslie's in the ring and nobody recorded a single moment of him. The next night, he writes, we finally debuted as our tag team. See that's huge to me. How is Terry Boley's record missing the first time he teamed with ed Leslie if it wasn't due in Alabama?
Speaker 3: Not mentally right. I think there's a chance that D's even misremembering this. I would imagine so, or choosing to choosing to misremember it.
Speaker 2: At Alabama, we wrestled as Terry and Ed Boulder known as the Boulder Brothers. I remember coming to the ring, the people ate it up. We had a bunch of choreographed double team moves in really good chemistry, very few people actually knew our real names outside the promoters we worked for. These early matches working as the Boulders were so memorable to diehard fans that a rumor started later on that hul Coch and British beak Kick were actually brothers. Speaking of actual brothers, we got to be really good friends with the Samoans Offa and Cicco. They were not the crazy monsters like they were depicted on TV. They were two big teddy bears. They were in the same boat as we were new and broke. None of us had any money, but titty bears. Titty bears. Yeah, well titty Bear before the surgery. Rock was too That's true. We couldn't afford motel rooms like the other guys.
Speaker 3: We didn't need one.
Speaker 2: We had the no tel motel on wheels with us everywhere we went. Every night, Terry and I would sleep in his finally airbrushed van on the beach in Pensacola, and the Mowen slept in their vans too, right next to us. In the beginning, it was just survival mode. It kind of reminded me of going on those long vacation trips with my family as a kid. Every morning we would get up. One of us would maybe pound in the side of the samo and mobile.
Speaker 3: Imagine, Wow, we'll see if off is up. Brother? Who's up? Off of secret? Brother? I don't know, he said, rubbing his eyes looking at the van. I don't see him. Uh, who's making? Who's making breakfast? Brother? Who something other? Cooking? Dude? Who is off of making? Oblin? Smells like it? All right? Give me so much open air cooking going on? Oh you know, oh my god. You know he's got like a fucking you know, portable uh, charcoal grill. He's laying down steaks. Brother, you know, Oh, yes he is. You know, he fucking is. Boy. You give me steak, dude, Wow, go off, give me steak. Amazing, Go go ahead, go go, go, go, go, go go.
Speaker 2: Seeing these guys and it's the future. Hold Hogan out there on the beach. Yeah, they were stinking, you know, like they would shower, but come on, man, the sweat was, oh just awful.
Speaker 3: Could not avoid it.
Speaker 2: They were sleeping in the van overnight on the beach in Pensacola, for God's sakes.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: They would roll out the van and we would all go find something cheap to eat at a diner. After that, we would grab our towels and head down to the public beach showers to clean up. After the showers, we would do whatever we wanted for a bit, and then we would leave together to drive to the towns. Since I was still pretty green, I like to go to the shows a little early to get some practice in. Some of the guys would take me in the ring and give me some training. The show would go down, and could practice some of what I had learned live in front of a real audience to perfect my craft. After the matches, we would drive back to Pensacola if it wasn't too far and we wouldn't stay at Pensacola Beach, we would try to park outside a nearby wrestler's house after shows. Oh my god, imagine that one who lived in the area. One parking spot was outside David Schultz's apartment. Yes, he was cool. He let us come in whenever we wanted in case we had to poop. Hmmm, even let us use it. It comes back to food or poop apparently every time. Even let us use his shower in a while if we were in a hurry when there was no local wrestler in the area. We would leave the arena and then just sleep in our vans in a random parking lot somewhere. Hulk Hogan, Okay, wowing the dream. Yeah, well, David Schltz has a lot of memories of this particular pot.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: As he was Southeastern efyweight champ, he was a pushed heel. He was like the top heel really in the territory when Terry Bullay at first showed up. And it wasn't it wasn't just out of the kindness of his heart that he was welcoming the boulders into his apartment here in Pensacola. Here he is on the infamous Inside Edition interview explaining exactly what the quid pro quote was.
Speaker 4: Let him sleep in the house.
Speaker 3: I gave him food, and in returns he gave me steroids. He showed me how to use steroids. Yes he did, Yes, he did. Hey show me how to do steroids. Now let me tell me how to do need a lot of my butt? Would you admit her form? Because he's so big, he can't even know he's so swore. Oh well, sometimes it's sometimes I got to help him out to stick a meat on his ass. Sometimes have you nailed the boss? Here he is talking to Hannibal when he's a meeting Koge back when he was sterling Golden.
Speaker 5: Well, he come into Panama City Beach and we've worked from Ronford. He come in there, and uh, he was green. He's a big guy, big, a huge guy.
Speaker 4: But I knew nothing.
Speaker 5: And we become friends. And you know, I started working out with him because I never was a person to work out, and uh.
Speaker 4: I'd give him me a shot, just steroid shots because.
Speaker 5: He couldn't reach around to take him, you know.
Speaker 3: And all that's right.
Speaker 5: I told him, I said, boys, these things are gonna kill you. You're taking more in a race horse. And yeah, you know, I'm hanging and banging. And when they carry me out, brother, he's going hanging out of the camp. Well, they will be hanging out of the camps.
Speaker 4: Because you're with it, you know.
Speaker 3: But you couldn't talk to you.
Speaker 5: But we were good friends for probably fifteen years and worked out all the time.
Speaker 3: He stayed at my house when he come down.
Speaker 5: He didn't have no money to get a room, sleeping in his van, so uh, my wife and me said, come on in and sleep in our extra room, and you know, and we become good friends. And then Vans told him either Shures or me, because he started whining that I was too rough on him. And then I was gonna beat him in ah a lot of TV shows, brother and take the bell and uh uh you know, uh.
Speaker 4: You had to treat him like a kid man. You say, you big dummy.
Speaker 3: Why you know?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not gonna beat you in the middle of ring. I I can beat you any time I get ready. That might be harder to do anything. Oh really, And I'd grabbed him in his own living room, throw him on the floor and we'd start, you know, but you know, he never was r uh.
Speaker 3: He never was a wrestler. I mean never was a Uh. If he got a hold of you, he.
Speaker 5: Was powerful, he was strong, but he didn't know how to hold of you. So if you knew any moves I don't.
Speaker 4: You can out rashly.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Fan Wrestling Podcast, The wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. Sick of the ads. Sign up for ad free shows and even more content at patreon dot com. Slash The Lapsed Fan he's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack n Seo and.
Speaker 2: JP Soro Wow Elections on living with the Holtzter then of course losing the Holtster's trust because he's going to shoot on me, brother. But you know, David Scheltz is fucking whack enough, he probably would have done it, honestly, Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: I believe that he always ends up in these situations where people are like on edge about what he's going to do, and he's always like, what I was going to do anything? What are you out of your mind? And it's like there you fucking slaps John Stoscil or castlesmester t and it's like, well, actually he will do it, so yeah, but pretty amazing that this is where it all started between these two, and he remembers shooting him up so hard that it became an issue, became a real issue, and you could imagine Schult's not biting his tongue when Hogan's on our Sineo in ninety one acting like he never took steer. Yes, well they took him three.
Speaker 2: Times, so yeah, three times in a week when there was no local restauran in the area. Brutus continues, we would leave the arena and then just sleep in our vans in a random parking lot somewhere, Like you know, they were homeless people, Buss. Basically, they were homeless people. Basically what it is like there sore describing this lifestyle, and all I think about is like, how miserable I'd be, like, I can't, I don't. I don't like that kind of lifestyle. And they were all like talking about as being great having freedom. I don't even know if Arne, because arn tells a similar story in his book because he broke in the same spot. I don't even know if he had an apartment. So I vividly remember him saying he would just fall asleep on the beach with a case with a cooler beer, just wake up and then shower in the facilities at the beach, the public facilities, and go to the town.
Speaker 3: Just sleep on the beach. Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Imagine that's your house because it's a beach. I feel like you're luxuriating, right, dude.
Speaker 3: That's such a fucking wrestling mentality. That's that seemed like a whole Cogan wrestling mentality. Honestly, only a Tampa only a Tampa boy could put himself through that right. No, you know what, not not happy? There a problem, Actually it's not really, yeah exactly. Sometimes we would get up in the morning and drive over to one of the local gas stations that had one little room you could lock. We would take turns using the bathroom to poop and brush our teeth or whatever, and then and then drive back to Pensacola. Eventually we would always circle back to Pensacola, Uh, Pensacola Beach and start everything all over again. Pensacola was home base. We would be tanning or in the water and then smell barbecue. Sens quite often would pull out a little grill and cook out. Man oh man, they fed Terry and me a whole bunch. They really were generous and great to pay them back. Sometimes we would go to this buffet place called Moms. It was a little bit faced down Joy off the main strip, and they had the best fried chicken in the world. The moment we walked in, we would transform into savages. All manners were out the window. We wouldn't even sit down at the table. As the waitress showed us to our seats, we would walk over and acknowledge it. Don't get me wrong. We would nod to our signed eating headquarters, but then rush right over to the plates and immediately go up to the food.
Speaker 2: Just fucking oh, just rip it to shreds. Guys are so huge and so homeless, and so broke, so hungry, so hungry. Let me tell you, he says, the Samoans and the boulders could eat. We would grab each a heaping blite of fried chicken and make quick work of it. In little time, all four of us would pound the poultry and toss all the bones on a few empty plates in the center. Then we would get right back up and do it again. The amount of chicken bones left when they were finally done was ridiculous. It was always like a huge mountain.
Speaker 3: It was just wrong. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The people at Momes just hated us, to the point that when we showed up you could see the anger in their eyes because they knew we were just going to eat everything inside. If we were able to just pull our seats up to the buffet tables themselves, we probably would have done that. The nights were relatively peaceful, sleeping on the beach. I do remember one night I had checked in early. I was asleep already, when all of a sudden, it felt like I was on a boat.
Speaker 3: I was out of it.
Speaker 2: I shook myself awake and looked out of the window to see if we had been hit by the tide or something. Then I realized that the motion was coming from within the van. Someone had snobled in the back. It was late and the bars had all closed. Terry had just come back from drinking and had a I thought I didn't drink a drop of alcohol back then, all right, just come back from drinking and had a girl with him and maybe a six pack. Now I don't think he was necessarily trying to get it on with her. The really wild days would come from our next territory, Memphis, after we were more widely known. But either way, I didn't want to clock cock block so or be their first hand to see what was going to happen. That would be breaking the bro code. So I decided to take off. Before I shut the door, I saw Terry out of the corner of my eye. He just barely gave me the thumbs up. I rolled out, knowing damn well that I shouldn't return anytime soon as to let them have their space. Terry wasn't a big player like me, but either way, as a bro, you knew you had to follow the unwritten universal gentleman's rule that states if the van is a rockin, don't come and knocking. Tired as hell, I ventured out for what I figured would be a long night. I walked down a few spots over in the parking lot to the side of the Samoan's ride to look for shelter. A light drizzle was hitting my face as I was hitting the van. Bump, bump, bump, nothing. I pounded a bit harder, bump, bump, bump. Finally, a dazed off a slid the side door open. Can you imagine bomb? My god, I imagine knocking on a van in the middle of the night in Pensacle, looking and the thing goes slides open off.
Speaker 3: Fucking Oh dude, I'd be scared, horrified. I'd run. Yes, yep.
Speaker 2: A stale cloud of dank, smow and tobacco smacked me in the face. I grimaced and pulled my blanket up over my shoulder and nose. What what is it morning yet, he asked, looking to see that it was still dark. No, just wondering if you mightd if I crash in the front, I asked in a chuckle, Terry has some company in the van and I can't get any sleep. Offa started to laugh and he shook his head. Too much sound from Terry. He asked, no, I don't think so, but didn't want to stick around to find out. Okay, get in off appointed to the front. He slid the door closed, and then I saw his forearm unlock the front. I crawled into the passenger side. The seat was back pretty far already, but I leaned it back some. The head of my chair pushed back this drapery thing that they used to keep the light out of the back. I heard off I say something to Seeker from the back, and then I passed out. About twenty minutes later, I awoke again. This time, however, my makeshift bed was not moving around. The thing that woke me from the dead this time was the curious sound of wood being sawed. I laid there for some time and listen to the wood sawing storm in full force. I tried covering my years with my blanket, but it was no use. I waited it out. After about ten minutes, I heard Cicca, I think, tell his brother to roll over. Fine, sure it was Terry over. Brother's a quick one, two, three up brother? What Finally the snoring subsided. I closed my eyes again. I thought about the day. You know, for a moment, I thought he was talking about real wood being fucking like something through. I know, like someone's building a boat out there.
Speaker 3: I really thought to myself, like, at two in the morning, there's somebody, you know, and this fucking beach who's actually.
Speaker 2: Like Terry's working harder than me. Thought some of what I'd learned in the ring. A peacefulness came over me. Just as I started a drift, I heard the gentle blast of an earth rattling fried chicken fart, and then the sawing started up again in its entire splendor. Oh my God, make matters worse out of nowhere. It became a duet. Yes, another saw chimed in, and I need to keep in mind Kenny Castanova, his co author, loves fart jokes and shit jokes, and he always forces them in. So I'm not sure sure he said all this, but yes, another saw chimed in in perfect harmony. It was magical, a full on wood sewing samo and symphony in stereo. Was being performed just for me.
Speaker 3: I mean also picture picture these two fucking clowns. Okay, picture off of Sika, all right, the two the two of them asleep, you know. I also picture them, you know, with like uh uh, you know, like flowery button down shirts and listen to of course they're because they're sleeping, you know, because they're living in a van. They don't have like pajamas or anything like that, or even just fucking nighttime clothes like boxers and T shirts or whatever. But they're just fucking they're wearing whatever they wore them during the day. They just have regular clothes, like oh, so what do they do the laundry, by the way, Like no one talks about the laundry. These are important things that I'm curious about. But and they just sit there like, you know, it's unbuttoned, like all the way down, just like fucking offa's on his back, hair everywhere, all right, hair just fucking all over the place. Is welcome to the business. It's the complete hull co good bitch. I imagine that there's just exactly you know, and there's no and these guys have you know. I I it's awful. But I also I cannot imagine a professional wrestler knowing good hygiene, right, Like, they're just always disgusting, right, all of them, all of them, and they're just nasty and just sweaty and body odor everywhere exactly. It smells like it smells like old lasso taco It's it's right, it's a that and like peppers and onions. Ye, all right, you know that's that's the smell. It's all over the place.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Let alone, what's going on in their facial hair? Okay, just the dangerous concoc.
Speaker 2: This girl from some bar Pensacola can't help it slide into the van you go back to get back to your place.
Speaker 3: Well, I live in a van, bro you know a van? It you know that, dude van cause they call me Van of White brother. I'm a big fan of a Viziann brother. You live in a vis And what is that is that? It a modern apartment building?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what in the way it is where I'm living, that's I'm living. It's a it's a it's a mobile apartment. Oh you live in mobile? I thought you lived in Pensacola. It depends on the day of the week. Past I got a place in Mobile. I got a place in Montgomery. I got a place in Dothan. Bro I got a place over in Portland, Oregon. He got a place wherever I needed, bro wherever I needed to go. My home follows me. Dude, love it. He's got a mobile home, all right. So awesome, dude, so awesome. Oh my god, right in the smoke filled dodge ram. It wasn't worth it.
Speaker 2: Some wet socks and a couple of sand flea bites were far better than hearing that. So I rolled out of van number two. I wrapped up in the blanket and fell asleep on the beach. A younger shot of the Wild Samoans OFFENSECA days were easy. Terry and I would go to Pensacola Health Club and work out. Maybe I would go swimming with the Samoans. We might hang out on the beach until late in the afternoon and then maybe drive to New Brunswick or Mobil or Montgomery, wherever we were wrestling that night. There is ed Leslie reflecting. Here's further to the point about what's happening in the ring. Sometimes Ox Baker would show up to our vans to hang out there's another nice vision to have slamming onund your door in the middle of Psycho Maniac, this walking horror movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, he really is he is just he is. He is a threat.
Speaker 2: Suck escape from New York, escape from Pensacola, I know, escape from this scan, escape from Ox Baker, please the eyebrows, the mustache boss. Oh just not just not okay, escape from New York. Indeed, yep, I mean.
Speaker 3: Horrifying.
Speaker 2: So we just wanted to hang out. Ox and I work a lot of matches together. Ed says he was very helpful with my training early on in my career, and we hit it off pretty well. When he stopped by, he would just sit down next to me in a stoop. Maybe need some simoone barbecue. Other times stop buying, to stare at you, not say a word, just look at you. Didn't even wasn't even invited over his eyebrows to a point he would other times, Ed SAIDs rights he would bring sandwich just to share.
Speaker 3: Of course he wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I liked eating with Ox. He always had an interesting story to tell. Ox didn't care about cafe at all. In a time when we had separate everything for the heels and the baby faces from our cars, to our hotels to the locker rooms. Good guys wouldn't be seen with the villains anywhere to protect the business. But Ox didn't care about any of that. He would come out swimming or even lay down right next to me tan in the sun, even when we were set to work against each other that very night. Terry absolutely hated this. If he strolled up on the beach and saw me drinking with Ox, his face would go sour. He would say, disgustedly, if anyone's fucking strolling up, you know, that makes whole Cogan nastly. That's the one security blanket he has is none of the heels, none of the faces are going to be around him because of cave fame. But if all of a sudden like that isn't a hard and fast rule anymore, he can't trust that he's not going to get covered. You know, let's not forget okay, let's not forget something here, Okay. This is Ox Maker is a classic example of what I have always talked about, and the fact that.
Speaker 3: These gentlemen the grocery store has to go to the grocery store looking like he looks like that he is buying fucking HoneyNet cheerios looking like that, like the axe fucking horrifying seriously does with a fucking low axe, Like why live alife? You can't do it? I mean, like going doing anything as a joke, doing anything, were going to the library, trying to fucking get a book, like forget it, No, we don't. We don't serve your kind here. Looks like a fucking monster, mister, we don't serve psychos here. God, just I mean, imagine any normal thing, but with Ox Baker doing.
Speaker 2: It, that's a surprise. Pull quote from Total Complete that I didn't expect. Imagine anything normal, but Ox Baker doing it. Good stuff.
Speaker 3: Ox. You might say ordering ordering Starbucks or dunkin Donuts order for Ox. Yeah right, oh right there, Oh got me again? He said up a bitch right in two seconds?
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 3: I mean, just like people would not return to that Starbucks not at all, scaring people on purpose because you never know if he's going to be there again. You would never know. This guy's just this guy has to change his has to adopt an image that he cannot change because week to week he has to sell out a rinky dink arena.
Speaker 2: Pull up to your house and like you know, thirty after a night out, and you have like a window overlooking the garage, and as you pull in, you look up and you see he's standing in your living room looking down at you.
Speaker 3: Imagine this, Okay, imagine like you know, because you can imagine who knows what, who knows what kind of you know, I imagine he had to have some other kind of income as well. Point Like let's say at one point he's a delivery guy of course, like food delivery. So it's like you order pizza and the doorbell rings and you open it. You got this fucking psychopath in a domino and you a pie, right, yeah, exactly, ospgger delivery dominoes your house. You would say something like that he had the pizza you eat all that. I have some myself.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: He tries to be He tries to be friendly about it.
Speaker 2: That is because when you hear him do shoot interviews and stuff, he is kind of gregarious and like he's easy to get along with. It sounds like, but he looks like he would cut your fucking neck off in a second. I mean, he looks like he has no problem eating a human being.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Okay, you know he talks like the most normal person ever. I know, I fucking watching those interviews and it's like, this guy does not his his his demeanor does not match this said look that he pizza's hair ox banker hair. Can I come in? No, you cannot come in?
Speaker 4: You look at you?
Speaker 3: You cannot come in? Ready for dinner?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Whoa?
Speaker 3: You hear the ring.
Speaker 2: Doorbell go off? You go, you'll turn the camera and he's standing on your porch eating your pizza, looking in the camera.
Speaker 3: You look at you your doorboll camera and he's like, you know, it's always got a fish eye lens, and you got him. He's looking right home. He's like, you see his eye, but then you see it. He's eating the pizza, right.
Speaker 2: You see mostly his eye, but there's this little dot of his mouth at the bottom and it's moving one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 3: And then and then and then he then he shifts up so that you see his mouth and he's like he starts laughing, but you see all the pizza in his mouth. That's awesome, cinnatic as that's baker tremendous. I got your pie. He was Terry's walking up to him on the beach for suntan and going, come on, okay, fae brother, get out of here. What are you doing? Were you rolled me up showing up my sleeping quarters, dude, I mean my.
Speaker 2: Private home. It's a fucking van. So it became a weird k fabe struggle rivalry between Terry and Ox. Brutus writes, I was wrestling Ox and so I was Terry. So I get why he didn't want us to be seen together. But we always set up camp in the middle of nowhere. Ox knew it bothered Terry and thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: Of course he did.
Speaker 2: So he wait till Terry was asleep in the beach working on his tand and he would come over and sit right down next to us. Terry woul wake up, look to his left and yell, goddamn it.
Speaker 3: Ox.
Speaker 2: Then he would run to the van, said, perfect, what you're saying it Terry's called. He's yelling Terry. As Terry goes to the van, Terry Terry Terry sometimes Ox sometimes Brutish writes, Ox would actually chase after him. Ox cared about k but he just like and Terry Moore, okay, like so like this is all this is. This is more establishing of Hulk Hogan's parents.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, like this guy's following him around and fallow him around, He's chasing him. What do you what do you do? Why?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 3: Like a male man running from a dog?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 2: I was good friends with Ox right up until the time he died a short time ago. One Friday night after our TV tapings at the Farm Center in Dauphin, Alabama. It's it's it's not dolphin like like a dolphin it dophin. I snack out to drive Box over to a bar with the van, but Terry would have none of that. After the show, Terran instead hopped a ride to one of the hotels where some of the wrestlers were staying for swim. He says that he got changed in Don Fargo's room and then headed down to the pool. When he got there, guess what he saw. Bos He couldn't believe his eyes. Some nudest beach exhibitionist. Oh my god, hockey type conference was there and they were all out in rare and rear form. Everyone was naked and swimming. Just as he was about to turn around and leave, he looked over there. It was Robert Fuller aka Colonel Rob Parker wow on the territory with his brother Ron. He was standing on the diving board and all his glory, completely naked, grounded by tons of wasted, drunk people cheering him on a dive. Someone reached over and handed him the Southwestern heavyweight title belt.
Speaker 3: He put it on like a.
Speaker 2: Champ, and the crowd went wild. It was dangling off his waist as well as something else he was very well known for.
Speaker 3: I'm my dollar cock. I'll wear him about about five pounds of Fuller Man meat. Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever heard the legend of Colonel Rob Parker's massive peace before, but it far surpasses anything he ever did in the ring. His penis really was bigger than his career. He wasn't shy about it either, let me tell you. He would just whip it out with no notice anywhere and swing it around like a pocket watch on a chain. He would take it out in the locker room, in the grocery store, driving next to a car of nuns.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter, I guess.
Speaker 2: In this particular night, he was in his element, in full exhibition mode. He started a picture of the movie almost famous. You know when he comes upon that. Oh yes, he started bouncing up and down on the board, getting the proper momentum going enough to spin his cock around in a complete circle. Once it looked like the propeller of an airplane. He was ready for lift off. He took three steps and jumped low and behold, he didn't drop like a bag of shit. His spinning penis actually helped him finally take flight like a helicopter. Everyone's here, all right, thanks a lot, Kenny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely not a beefcake story.
Speaker 2: Is Hogan's book on the whole thing? The only place, ohya, I'll give it to you actually, because he's he's in rare form here, and he tells the throbbing members story, but he kinda you know, he kind of doesn't tell it the same exact way. Oh, it's a different person whose cock is out, I think.
Speaker 3: Oh from his first book, all right, the one place on a penstacle Alabama circuit that weirded me out. Well, that was doath in Alabama. Weirded me out.
Speaker 2: That's why I don't talk about it, because I was violating marvel ip the whole time.
Speaker 3: We wrestled there on Friday nights at the farm Center, and they say over at the hotel because Saturday, I thought you'd be in your fucking van. Oh he was in the hotel. Hotel. He went to swim for one all Saturday morning would take some TV to promote the next week's rounds of events. First time I wrestled there, Russell's got some beer after we left the farm Center and went back to the hotel to relax, or so I thought, I want to go to the hotel. The parking lot was packed. I didn't get it. You know, when I was earlier in the day the lot was almost empty, and all of a sudden, it was worth your life to get a spiller. Brother Jesus twice.
Speaker 2: You do not pull up on the thing he expects to be empty model. Oh, no way, no way, Like what's one who talked?
Speaker 3: Actually? Who talked to who?
Speaker 2: Because everyone seems to know about this except you, your boy here exactly I want to saw the hotel, which had a swimming pool right in the center of it, and I finally saw why there were so many people there. One of the Fuller brothers, the guys who owned the territory, was on the diving board, wearing the Southern Heavyweight title belt and nothing else outside of that belt wrapped around his middle. He was he was stark naked. There's a huge crowd on the swimming pool, you know, cheering and raising hell. It looked to me like the whole town was there as a final Later it wasn't the whole town, just everybody who'd been at the farm Center watching us wrestle. You know, when from the people in the front road, the guy's the nosebleed section. I mean, how big is the Farm Center? I think six thousand seats? Yeah, then would you consider those me nosebleed sections?
Speaker 3: Probably six. I wouldn't considered a six thousand seat. Before I knew it, this crazy son of a bitch on the diving board took a dive into the pool belt and all. That's why I realized he wasn't the only one without any clothes on. As soon as he hit the water, everyone else in the pool got girls and guys came climbing out, and they were naked too. I just walked away, shaking my head and saying to myself, this is insane. Even that back then, I knew it wasn't right to run around naked like that with families and kids around who'd followed us from the arena back to the hotel. It was like a circus was in town. Yep, it was mind boggling. Even if Terry Boulder wasn't comfortable at times in Dothan, Dothan was real comfortable Terry Boulder.
Speaker 2: We'll get a lot more into why he felt that way about Dothan, or Doathan felt that way about him as we continue here on the Alabama leg of the Complete Hulkogin. But of all the crazy hijinks he would witness in person and on the road and in the vans and in the hotel pools, it was really what the wind on his skin that he'd remember from this point in time. She recalled from his second book. At a particular point, he and a reality show crew visit his childhood home in Tampa, after his marriage is beginning to fall apart, and after really hell Kogan's entire world is crumbling around him, and he spent some time in the backyard looking at the old remembering the old grapefruit trees that his dad used to tend to, and remembering his mom. You'd be the one to stay indoors, and how they found a way to make their marriage work in that tiny house, no money at all, just tending to trees and really just loving the water, and he recalled I found myself wishing, Terry wrote that Linda and I could be happy again, praying almost even though I hadn't gone to church or spent any time praying for years. I thought about how crazy my life had become. What am I doing in a twenty thousand square foot house. I think I was happier when I was living out of a van by the beach in pens and Coola, just waking up and feeling the wind on my skin.
Speaker 3: Call it