Speaker 1: Hello everybody, welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Tony Gerderman, here as always with Tom or Tom. How's it going?
Speaker 3: Right before you hit record, you looked at me, you said, you ready? And before I answered, you just started the recording. So would you like to cut the rock.
Speaker 2: Promo on me?
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter if you're ready.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: We're going to shine this video up real nice. And I'm not going to go any further than that. Those of you who know what I'm saying, understand why. Welcome. We are here again on campus at Buckeye Grove, right behind us. All of Ohio State's All-Americans. recognized behind us. Their names are on plaques, or soon-to-be plaques. Everybody that they want to recognize back there. Fantastic place to be. And so, some future, perhaps, members of Buckeye Grove. And maybe that's the final question as we go through this. Who is going to be of this group that we're talking about today? Going to be memorialized? Not memorialized. Commemorated. Commemorated. Thank you. In Buckeye Grove as a first-team All-American. Today we're talking about basically looking at the first freshmen, the true freshmen, that are currently, they have lost their black stripes. There's eight of them so far as of the time of this recording. And Tom, as I'm thinking right now, didn't we think, you know what, we should record the show later?
Speaker 4: We did, but that's okay. You know, no time like the present.
Speaker 2: So if something happens... Two Wednesday nights, and there's another player added. Forgive us, all right? We're in the zone right now. We're cooking. But of these eight, and then we're going to compare them to the seven players that lost their Black Stripes by this point last year and see if there's any correlation, what to expect. So the guys who have lost their Black Stripes this year, in order, Brock Boyd, Chris Henry Jr., Jay Timmons, Luke Fahey, Kari Wilder, Simeon Caldwell, Jordan Thomas, Legend Bay. Shout out to Jordan Thomas for giving the best Blackstripe speech you've ever seen. That was fantastic. And so that's eight. The seven last year, I'm going to give them to you, okay? You ready? Quincy Porter, Riley Pettyjohn, Nate Roberts, Devin Sanchez, Bo Jackson, Baheem Delane, Jake Cook. What you've got there is you've got three guys that played a lot in Bo Jackson, Bo and Nate Roberts and Devin Sanchez.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Riley Pettyjohn played a little. Fahim Delane played a little. Mostly special teams. Quincy Porter didn't play much, got hurt. So when you look at these, Jake Cook didn't play much, but made a splash by the job that he did in earning kind of a spot in the second team group there. When you look at the guys that have lost their black stripes this year. Like, I don't know that there's a thousand yard rusher, but of these guys, like I could say, I don't expect a lot from Luke Fahey, but anybody else here, you could see having a sizable contribution in my opinion. Although it's like, it's going to be tougher guy like Jordan Thomas.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jordan Thomas is, there are enough corners on the depth chart, outside corners on the depth chart right now that it's, he's probably not going to be able to get regular playing.
Speaker 4: Time this year.
Speaker 3: Him losing his black stripe is a great marker for, okay, spring 2027, who are we talking about? About guys who have a chance to take a real big jump in 2027 in spring ball. Congratulations, you just made the list. That's where you are there. There are certain spots where it's just you're not going to be– either because of the position where offensive line, it's almost impossible, like in Jake Cook's case last year, or outside corners this year.
Speaker 4: It's just they got some talent there, and it's going to be hard to get in that rotation.
Speaker 2: He could be number four and push battle with Cameron Calhoun and then maybe compete with Dominic Kelly. Now, we've not heard much about Dominic Kelly in a while. I haven't really been asking, but he was with the ones and twos at the start of camp. So it's like you expect him to be the number three Jordan Thomas at this point battling to be the four with the guy who was established as kind of the four in Camp Calhoun.
Speaker 3: He seems like a great analog to what Riley Pettyjohn was last year, where you come in, you're playing against Kent State. You could tell me that Jordan Thomas has an interception or a scoop and score or, you know, boy, you won't believe the play he made.
Speaker 4: And like, yep, absolutely. I could for sure see that happening.
Speaker 3: But in terms of like actual, oh boy, you won't believe the amount of snaps he played this year.
Speaker 4: Probably not just for situations outside of his control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is interesting. Like a Rod J. Burns, Riley Pettyjohn, Jermaine Matthews, true freshman getting these random touchdowns in kind of the blowout games.
Speaker 4: Three people whose careers have gone in very different directions.
Speaker 2: Very different directions. So like Jordan Thomas, it's just like a depth thing. Brock Boyd and Chris Henry Jr., those guys, Ryan Day has said they're going to play. And the closer we get to the season, the more we hear it's like the more they're going to play is how this is feeling, especially as Kyle Parker is slowed and not yet practicing as of the time of this recording. So somebody's going to play. And those two guys, to me, I don't see them– Do you still see them as typical freshmen in terms of your expectations?
Speaker 3: No, because we did a bold prediction show where we talked about some expectations for them. And I had Chris Henry with the third highest receiving total in Ohio State true freshman history.
Speaker 4: And you say, you know, would that be surprising to you if he did that?
Speaker 2: And you did not answer.
Speaker 4: No, not really. It would not be particularly surprising.
Speaker 3: But he's not the typical freshman.
Speaker 4: He's not.
Speaker 3: And I think Brock Boyd, you're sort of hearing some of the same things about him, where I think your Quaden Guilford is much more on that typical true freshman path, where it's like, yeah, very talented guy, probably going to play little bits and pieces this year, and then we'll sort of see you next spring and see where you are at that point.
Speaker 4: Boyd and Henry are not on that path. Boyd and Henry, it seems.
Speaker 3: Like, are well ahead of that, and you know, there isn't a Carnell Tate to hold them back this year. The fact that Kyle Parker has been banged up a bunch this fall has really sort of opened the door for a lot more reps for both of those guys, just because of the way you can move the different guys. You know, even if you don't play the same position as Kyle Parker, the way they move guys around, it might open up a position for someone else. So yeah, I, those two, I think I'm expecting to play notable amount of snaps this year in, and I, Play in the Texas game.
Speaker 4: Play in the USC game. Play in the Indiana game.
Speaker 3: Like, I think you're going to see those guys playing pretty much all season, even if it's not in a starting role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that to me is, if you play in the Texas game, you are in the rotation. You are established.
Speaker 4: That was Devin Sanchez last year.
Speaker 2: Right, you are established. And he was out there in the first drive. Yeah. As the dime. If you're doing that, especially on the road, you are in. And those two guys, by the way, Chris Henry Jr. finally shows up on the EA video game as an 84. So not bad. The highest ranked true freshman is what I just saw on Twitter. Sitting on the offensive side, Legend Bay, as of this recording, the most recent guy to lose his black stripe along with Jordan Thomas the same day, I recall. Yes. And Legend, this is a nice little climb for him. Now, he was in the spring, here in the spring, but he was a little banged up. Starts off not being able to practice the first two days of fall camp. Does enough and has made plays. There's been this concern about he just needs to continue getting better. All this concern that everybody has with freshman running backs because they have the ball and they can lose the ball. And so for him to have lost it at this point, I think this is a fantastic sign. I don't know. I guess I could look to see exactly how close it is. And I will look to see how close it is to Bo Jackson or the other two freshman running backs. But Legend Bay losing it now, we know he's going to play. And this tells me that he is progressing the way they want to see when they always give these caveats of he's going to play if. Yeah. It sounds like the ifs are there.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: He was banged up in the spring. So I feel like that pushed him a little back. And then missing the first couple of days of practice, you got to kind of earn your way back into the circle of trust after they sit you for a couple of practices. And This was one of those things where if this was purely based on on-field stuff, I think he probably loses his black stripe sometime in the spring, especially if he was healthy. There's more that goes into it than that. But this tells me, okay, he's back in the circle of trust. We had sort of projected, you know, he's going to get a handful of carries in the Texas game. I think that's probably, I'm still kind of on track for that. I don't think, you know, I'm not expecting him to have 12 carries. I'm not expecting him to not play at all. I think you're going to see him a little bit, this sort of just is a little bit of a mile post on the way.
Speaker 4: To that point.
Speaker 2: He was about a week behind Bo Jackson. Yeah. Isaiah West, who was banged up, lost his October 15th last year.
Speaker 4: But that was right before they went to Madison, right?
Speaker 3: Wisconsin was kind of late October last year, and that's where he sort of had his breakout game.
Speaker 2: Defensively, we did not mention Simeon Caldwell. We mentioned Jordan Thomas. Let's start with Simeon Caldwell, who has maybe more than anybody else been a surprise freshman, and certainly not a surprise that he lost his black stripe. If you're a member of the BuckeyeInsiders.com and saw us on the board, we were talking about him. in the days leading up to his losing of the Blackstripe. And if you want more insight like that, you can find us over at BuckeyeInsiders.com. Sign up. Get stuff like that before most others. We welcome you there. But they've got a role for him. So, like, his playing time is, at this point, dependent upon the situations that they find the defense in. But when you're a safety, true freshman safety, and they were already like, we want you to do this, that's only going to be the start of it. So once you're doing that, as Ryan Day said, as long as they're playing special teams, that's also going to factor into it. And anytime there's a depth chart tie, the winner goes to the guy doing stuff on special teams as well. And I think with Simeon Caldwell, he's doing as much as he's being asked, and he's keeping up with all of it.
Speaker 3: Right. If they trust you to be out there early, and it sounds like by all accounts they do, then your role is only going to grow as the season goes. Because that is a hurdle that a lot of guys don't get over as true freshmen.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it's off-field stuff. Sometimes it's on-field stuff. Sometimes it's film room stuff.
Speaker 3: But he's gotten over those hurdles, it sounds like, already.
Speaker 4: So then you're setting yourself up for a bigger role. And this is.
Speaker 3: In the previous years, we've had that conversation where if you're out on special teams, well, it means you're burning your redshirt year. So then they're looking for reasons to put you out on defense. Now there's no more redshirting.
Speaker 4: So that's no longer a consideration.
Speaker 3: But they still do link those two things, because if they trust you to be out there on special teams, then they're going to trust you to be out there more on defense.
Speaker 2: And the more you do on special teams, the more you just get all of the football. Ryan Day says special teams is just teaching you football. Yep. And the blocking, tackling, that sort of thing. And the more you learn that, the better you're going to have a chance of playing later on in the season. Sticking with the secondary, we probably don't need to spend too much time on Jay Timmons.
Speaker 4: I expect him to play some this year, yes.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to play quite a bit. And if you're looking at last year, do you think he plays more than Devin Sanchez, who had, I think, what, 300 snaps last year as the dime? Got a couple of starts at corner. Yeah. I guess I should look and see how many snaps like Lorenzo Stiles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my guess would be yes.
Speaker 3: I think you're going to see him more than you saw Sanchez just because you're going to be in a nickel more often than you are in a dime. Now, they're going to be in a nickel maybe less than they were last year because you're going to be playing more three linebacker lineups at times.
Speaker 4: And we've talked about, hey, maybe.
Speaker 3: Simeon Caldwell is going to steal some of those snaps if we're viewing him as that big nickel. So he may take some snaps away from Jay Timmons. But at the same time, I get the sense that you're probably going to be, even without having a start at an outside.
Speaker 4: Corner position like Devin Sanchez had last.
Speaker 3: Year, I still think you're probably going to see more snaps from Jay Timmons, assuming he's healthy all year, than you did from Sanchez last year.
Speaker 2: Devin Sanchez, 321 snaps. Lorenzo Stiles Jr., 404. So that's right in line with what you're saying. Jumping to the defensive line, which Kari Wilder is the only guy we haven't talked about in terms of losing his black stripe. Expectations for him, I think Zion Grady is the baseline, who had a tackle and a half for loss and eight or nine tackles last year.
Speaker 4: And like 100 snaps.
Speaker 2: Like 104 snaps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I would expect... I feel like we should expect more than that, but the depth chart is... better now than it was for Zion Grady last year, where he was competing against Bo Atkinson by the end of the season because C.J. Hicks had shut it down. Dominic Kirk, there was no, like, Logan George, they realized he couldn't play. So the depth chart just kind of kept falling by the wayside. This year, I think the depth chart's only going to, like, get stronger as the season goes, but Kyrie Wilder's going to be part of that reason why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's in an interesting spot right now where you know Kenyatta Jackson, you know Bo Atkinson. You've got the second-year guys, Epi Satonale and Zion Grady. And then beyond that, it's kind of like, all right, you know, we've talked about Drake Quinn at times. It seems like he has not lost his black stripe yet. That tells me that Kari Wilder is ahead of him. So he's probably fifth right now.
Speaker 2: Quay Rousaw.
Speaker 4: Quay Rousaw. How does he figure in there?
Speaker 3: I don't think of him as a defensive end because he's not playing with his hand in the dirt, but he's also probably taking.
Speaker 4: Snaps in that.
Speaker 2: Well, he's with Larry Johnson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: He's probably in that, but is that just a third down pass rushing role?
Speaker 4: We know what he's going to do, and we know... Situationally, a lot of the times when he's going to do it, but we don't know. If it's second and seven, are you ever going to see him out there? I assume you probably will.
Speaker 3: So he's a little bit of a wild card in all of this. But for Kari Wilder, someone's going to get hurt at some point.
Speaker 4: It happens.
Speaker 3: Someone is going to miss a game. And if he's in that conversation... I think the 100 snaps, give or take, for Zion Grady last year is a good benchmark. I'd probably expect him to go over that. But this is also a year where you don't have Brambling on the schedule.
Speaker 4: You don't have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's 40 snaps right there.
Speaker 3: You're not getting nearly as much Rutgers and Purdue in the monitors as you did last year. So there are going to be fewer games where a true freshman is going to play 25 snaps.
Speaker 4: So he might play more snaps in.
Speaker 3: Six games, you know, pick a random six-game Big Ten sample than Zion Grady did, but not have the game where you get 20 snaps, the game where you get 25 snaps, and end up with fewer snaps.
Speaker 2: Well, and last year, Zion Grady was fourth with 104 snaps. Fifth was C.J. Hicks with 50, but he didn't play past the fourth for the season. Sixth was Josh Mickens, and he had 44. Like, I don't know. The distribution is going to be better this year because Caden Curry– And Kenyatta Jackson had like 1200 of the 1400 snaps.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that will be better spread out between everybody. But I think, I think that's the baseline that I'm going with. I would expect, I expect more production, but it was out. Grady was getting close at times last year, but I don't know what we will see. What do you guys think of the, the black stripe guys this year so far? And again, If something happened Wednesday after practice and somebody loses a black stripe, I apologize. That was not our intent. We never wanted that to happen.
Speaker 3: Tony's like, I've never cared for that guy, and I'm going to leave him.
Speaker 2: Off this show. Specifically, that's going to be the title. This guy is not part of the show. But if you want to find the show when we drop it, hit the bell to be notified. Thumbs up. All of that. Of course, we're talking about everybody. If somebody has lost a black stripe, we're talking about it over at BuckeyeInsiders.com. We'd love to see you there. That will do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you all later. Love, this time, can what I feel be real?
Speaker 3: Well, she threw away the motel key. I wish it never meant nothing to me.
Speaker 1: Say you will, now say you will.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah. Say you will, now say you will.
Speaker 4: If you tell me that Des Moines's alright, we could steal a car and leave tonight.