Speaker 1: Welcome back to EVE Sports Radio. Yes it is June the thirtieth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: It's Monday.
Speaker 1: If you did not know, it's time to get up and get to work.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: First and foremost, I've got two co hosts, which I will get to. Before I do that, you guys need to know that we got the balls in studio with us.
Speaker 2: Gus Allen is running the production for us today.
Speaker 1: So Gus, I appreciate you getting up sitting in with us, and not very often do we have the bass sitting in with us.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, everyone's well like the gracier presence, So I like.
Speaker 2: That, Gus.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate you sitt didn't good to be here, no question. Gus is the most workman in radio business.
Speaker 4: That's all I can tell people.
Speaker 1: So Gus, let's bring on first my younger son. But first let me get the business out of the way. My phone number is five zero two five seven one seventy nine hundred. This is Sports Talk seven ninety kr D, and of course I'm the brand, so I've already introduced you out to Gus the boss sitting in for Shannon. Shannon's on vacation, which I understand. I took two days yesterday traveling last week, and of course we know we've got fourth of July this week, so it'll be another short week for EVE Sports Radio. Now, let's get to my younger son first. Let's bring him. Gus Anthony, how are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great this morning.
Speaker 3: How about yourself? Hey?
Speaker 1: And all I can tell people is this, and I'm gonna bring that other guy in a second. It is June thirtieth, and you know I've been playing around since the end of December, end of January.
Speaker 2: Soon we'll be saying it's Christmas time. Well, it's upon us. Half the year is gone. It's the seventh month tomorrow. It's all I want people to know. If you didn't know, there's only twelve months in the year. We're at the seventh month. It's gone quickly, that's all.
Speaker 1: So let's bring the other old guy, because he understands when I say, when you get old, the end of that toilet tissue world goes fast.
Speaker 2: Georgia, we're old.
Speaker 1: Our toilet tissue row is going really fast. Yours faster than mine, though, George, yours faster than mine. Welcome to the show, George, how are you I just started bringing right.
Speaker 4: Uh, why why you not? All you should be always thankful you making another day and worried about how old you are?
Speaker 2: Making another day of every show, George. I do it at the end of every show, George, I tell you.
Speaker 4: But my whole thing, huh.
Speaker 2: I do it at the every end of every show. You know that, George, You know I do. I thank them for today, thank.
Speaker 4: You for yeah. Yeah, but no, no want back, you know, Jared.
Speaker 1: Just enjoy a get though, okay, follow you you father, whoever you want to it, whoever you want.
Speaker 4: You make another day. You don't make another day that went fast.
Speaker 2: Don't have to worry about it, George.
Speaker 4: No, that's out buff. But it's good to make another one. It's always good to hear you guys back. I hope you had a great vacation and great travels. I mean, I know they left many.
Speaker 1: On the way over. But why'd you say no, we did, George? What'd you say great travels?
Speaker 4: Well, you have such adventure when you come back from traveling. I always like to start the show on a new adventure.
Speaker 1: Maybe, George, George, I have witnesses George, Martin Dunbar and his wife are traveling with us. Okay, we're leaving Panama City. Our flights to thirty leaves on time, arrives in Atlanta on time.
Speaker 4: That's wonderful.
Speaker 2: That's for our flight, George. We're one hour behind.
Speaker 1: My daughter, Ashley is on the nine to thirty five flights, gets home at ten thirty.
Speaker 2: Martin Numbard, Janice Dunbar, myself and my wife.
Speaker 1: We're on the eleven ten flight. Gets in at twelve ten. Okay, George, so no problem. Ashley scouraged to her gate after customs. We walked to our gate. We've got plenty of times. She calls on the phone and says, there are a thousand empty seats on this plane.
Speaker 2: Y'all can make it.
Speaker 1: It's one terminal over. We look at each other, y'all want to try this. Everybody's like yes, get us home two hours early, George. We scurried to the gate. We get on the flight. That is the nine thirty flight, George. He taxes out to the pilot. Does we're about the tenth plane. No problem, we're moving.
Speaker 2: We're moving.
Speaker 4: We're moving, George.
Speaker 2: About twenty minutes into it, guys, this is not let me let me back up. This is God's Let me back up, George.
Speaker 1: When I get on the plane, Martin dumbars directly behind me. The lady said, the exit windows are open, not the aisles, but the exit windows.
Speaker 2: Great, no problem, I got extra leg room.
Speaker 1: I scurry to the window. Martin Dunbar scurries to the middle. I truly took Martin's seat, but he took it back from me. George, I moved over as soon as we the gentleman lets us in first words.
Speaker 2: He says, this, I love your show. I listen every day, So gentlemen, I forgot your name. Sorry, but this is fact. George. I sit next to him.
Speaker 1: We talk about the show, We talk about sports, all kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Martin's in the middle. I'm on the window, he's on the aisle.
Speaker 1: As soon as they close the doors, George, I take the opposite window.
Speaker 2: I'll seat a window seat.
Speaker 1: Emergency exitile, not out emergency exit window seat. But we're still talking. The draft is going on, so I'm gonna throw it to Anthony. The draft is going on, George. He cuts off the plane because it's a long wait. He comes back going and says, I hate to tell you all the left engine.
Speaker 2: Won't cut back on. We've got to go back to the gate, George.
Speaker 1: The gentleman looked at me and said, he said, any time I see you getting on a plane, I'm getting off.
Speaker 2: George. This is the truth.
Speaker 4: We missed the plane adventure here in the city of Louisville.
Speaker 2: George.
Speaker 1: We taxi pack it Atlanta when I die went to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: And it will be delayed. I'm telling you, George, we.
Speaker 4: Gla were you lucky?
Speaker 1: Then they fix it, George, twenty minutes, so we're still a little ahead of our original flight, which is at eleven.
Speaker 2: It's about.
Speaker 1: Ten, George. We taxi out where the seventh plane. No problem. He comes but comes back on again. I had to tell you we've got thunder de lay, there's lightning in the area. Gentlman threw his hands up and said, he's your jeans. I'm telling George, and I am a Jens Martin dumbar. Is there, George, our flight we leave? I mean not kidding you. We take off, George. At one one. We get into Louisville.
Speaker 4: Other plane, George, is it?
Speaker 2: George?
Speaker 1: Our bags that were on the eleven tenth flight are waiting for us in the airport when we got there.
Speaker 4: You can't make this stuff up.
Speaker 2: You can't make it up. People think I'm playing I got witnesses.
Speaker 4: You can't. Oh, no, Jae. You do this every year. You do this every year. You'll make every flight, Sir George, that's every flight.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Vegas.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Vegas July the tenth in the Summer League. I'm taking Southwest Direct. All I can say is, please, no connections to Atlanta, George, Atlanta and I don't get along.
Speaker 2: That's all there is to it.
Speaker 1: I will go to Atlanta and be waiting, waiting to go wherever I gotta go.
Speaker 2: George, I'm hoping.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know, George. No, Jerry what no flight you get on that, you get along with it. Don't don't blame it on Atlanta. Don't blame it on the lane in the country. Don't blame it on Atlanta. Anywhere you go, my pa country, you come back in the country. Yes, it doesn't matter. Your family's affected. You're affected. Your family now now they're leaving.
Speaker 1: Any market got marked and it was lucky he was on at ten o'clock flight through Newark.
Speaker 2: He did not have our flight George, you can't make it up. I'm walking off the flight in Louisville at two thirty. People don't understand. I've been doing this all my life.
Speaker 1: I looked at the pilot, who was always greeting as you walk off, I said, how close were you to tieing out?
Speaker 2: George?
Speaker 1: Timing out is when the pilot has to if he's not in the air, he has to take the plane back to the gate and go home.
Speaker 2: He has to. He said, sir, you've been flying.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 2: We were one minute from me timing out in it left one minute.
Speaker 1: If he did not take off, George, it was not in the air within that one minute, if you would have had to gone back to the gate, I said, boy.
Speaker 2: But then there was a God, George, I said, thank you. Lower that's the truth, George.
Speaker 1: That's a fact, I said, flying and I just I get everything. So anyway, George, that's what the.
Speaker 4: Palace said too. While you get on my plane.
Speaker 2: That's a fact, George.
Speaker 4: It's George. It's a fight.
Speaker 2: Now. I get on planes and people start bullying me. George. They started boring. God.
Speaker 4: It's one thing we can say, Sureley about you don't get on an airplane that you get on and don't support a team that you're going to back. Those are two things that I know since I've been on this shoulders Dude, h it's too and you can be. You pick a team, they go down, you get on the plane, it stays down.
Speaker 2: I forget you, George William, Anthony heaves to get George.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're gonna do TEPN fourteen. We're gonna use this show as the best of Gus.
Speaker 2: Let's go to break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, We're going to throw it to Anthony for all the national news, George, and then you and I are gonna chop it up after that because Anthony's gonna have to run it seven thirty today, So they's gonna just be you and I.
Speaker 2: George. Hey, George, all that the team died back, I don't believe that. I'm not I didn't say that was correct. I just want you to know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we talked about Dallas Cleveland, the match Chicago Cincinnati, and the beat goes on.
Speaker 2: Just don't give me, do not give me. Rick Bostich is white SOX.
Speaker 1: I was talking to Rick yesterday and everyone knows he's retiring tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Is his last day at w DRB. I don't know if you know that, George, but it's Ricky fifty years fifty years. He was talking about I can go watch for a white Sox. I said why yesterday jured I said why why? He likes the torture himself. So anyway, seven to fifteen, George, we're going to break.
Speaker 1: We will be back. Anthony, you're up. The sports radio will talk to you in a minute. Sports Radio seven nineteen, phone numbers five zero two, five seventy nine hundred.
Speaker 2: The gentleman that was sitting in the aisle seat, I would love for you to call in just to let everyone know that what I said is one accurate.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's throw it back to the young one, the young gun, Anthony. Anthony that's with the National News, and then we'll let George from there.
Speaker 2: What do you have for is Anthony?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we got tons of stuff coming up, obviously. One of the big things we do have obviously we have Wimbledon coming up this week, which is huge. A lot of a lot of matters are going on this morning and later on in the afternoon as well, so I know that's what's huge, tender event that we love to watch and get a hold of. The biggest thing I want to hit on is the teams I think one in the NBA drafts and scenes I think made mistakes.
Speaker 5: Obviously, know it's hard to predict what we think of these draft picks before they even play, but everybody has their opinions and so do I. Obviously, the big thing that when we're talking about was about as Bailey, his decision to not work out for a lot of teams because he didn't want to go to the six Ers and end up sliding into that fifth spot to the Utah Jazz. And it's funny though he didn't even check into the jazz organization until yesterday. He had no communication with the Jazz's front office until I think Sunday afternoon when they told him or Saturday that they told him that he had to report to Utah before Monday or there would be contract issues. When he showed up, he worked out and he said that he's ready to go to be a Utah Jazz. But I think that just throws a lot of doubt in people's mind when you got a lot of people in the draft that are already complaining about where they're going and That's something I've seen over social media over the last couple of days. A crazy amount is kind of the players are being a little bit prima donna than how they used to be when they used to get drafted, you know, even ten to fifteen years ago, and guys are complaining about getting after to certain teams when you know, it was funny they said that. You know, for a lot of guys, it didn't matter what team they went to, getting drafted was life changing. What doesn't necessarily seem that way anymore. Most of these guys want money handed to them, or a lot of these guys have already been wealthy from their NIL deals or even since high school. I think it's kind of taken away that it factored from the NBA, and another reason why the ratings are so low over the last couple of years, because there's not the same drive that there used to be in the NBA, where guys are going in there to try to really make it, support their families and you know, live out a childhood dream. Now it is more so what can you do for me and what can you give me when I come into the NBA, And I think something's got to change with that over the next couple of years, because it's it's watering down the NBA to where it's very boring to watch until the playoffs, and even the playoff ratings were still low. So I just it's just it's trending in the wrong direction. And I just kind of want to get you all's opinion on that and what she thought about that, because I thought that was interesting. I thought it was a true fact that it's kind of, you know, NBA has been kind of been taking a little a slippery slope over the last i'd say ten to fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Probably, George, what do you think. Let's just clarify the ratings.
Speaker 4: Watch Okay, go ahead, that's right.
Speaker 1: But in the United States the ratings are way down, but the ratings you count international.
Speaker 3: Eyes are up.
Speaker 2: But in America, you're right, Anthony, they're seventy percent of what they were at their height. Go ahead, George, Well, I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna say that, Jerry, the NBA really plays about the international ratings. I think that the world wide, the NBA was up all around the world, and I think that because the world is getting involved, that we got the quick thing that that's just our game now, it's not just our game. Now it's the rest of the world's game also, and they're picking up on it, and they're taking the ratings up, and the ball players are going to get played more extravagant because mister Bridgman came on and told us about that little before he passed. And uh, I think that I love. I don't know what people watch for the NBA Finals, Jerry, but I thought this is one of the best finals we've had in almost five or ten years. I thought the passion of all play. I thought the games were so kinderalizing, and you had to bring your a game every game, comebacks, you know. I thought the game had everything that you would wanting the basketball. You had your threes, you had your layups, you had your mid range, you had great coaching, you had strategy. I don't know what people could be looking for. To say it, I think one of the problems is that we have in America is if two people do it, we judge the rest of the country is doing it. I mean, you look at like maybe one or two guys act of food, and we judged the whole league of one hundred or three hundred some players. I think that's something that we've got to get away from. I think that if you look at if I say this all the time, it's the percentage of society got in trouble is like the NBA, we'd have almost a per society because you can count the ball players to get arrested.
Speaker 1: In much better than our politicians. Hey, George, let me stop you, Let me stop you. Okay, we be better than our politicians. No, just piggybacking, George. You're right, we'd be better than our politicians. I just want people to understand that that's a fact. We talked about this and then about the ball politicians, no questions. No, it's fact, George, it'd be less than our politicians. But don't tell the truth. Sometimes people don't like that.
Speaker 2: It's to it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you talking about less than five five percent of a whole league that gets in trouble, Jerry most of the time, and we talk about like the whole league is in trouble when one ball player goes down.
Speaker 2: Ye, No, George, that's a fact less than our politicians.
Speaker 1: For all our listeners, just to be honest with you, when they're always talking about the issues NBA, NFL, if you rated them against our politicians that we elect. You're not very smart, fact of the matter. But we'll leave out the lower George of us.
Speaker 2: Sit right, here's the deal, George.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: Agree with Anthony. I died to get to the Utah Jazz. I thought it was Heavan, George. So did Mark Eaton, who was so did Darryl Griffin. I mean all of us in career there. Yeah, we did, we did.
Speaker 1: I mean you just I just George. It was only twenty three teams. There were eleven on the Jazz, not even twelve, and it was hard to make and things have changed a little bit to Anthony's statement. But but you're one hundred percent correct, And that's that's why it's good for this show, because there's always two.
Speaker 4: Sides of this, and it is say one thing though.
Speaker 2: I do, George, Yeah, you can't. I died to be a jazz So I was upset because I love you talk. I do.
Speaker 4: I died to be a jazz.
Speaker 2: It was they gave me an opportunity. Go ahead, George.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But but what I want to say, Jay, you look at like all the players. I figured some players drafted. You had one guy that made a scene and we talked like the whole league exactly, you know what I mean. One guy and we we talked about he got more news than all the other guys. And like the fathers that were so upset with his son and showed such great emotion when his son got drafted. I mean, Jered, if you watch those scenes when those young men get up and their families react to what's happening in their life, they know it's life changes. Those young men are acstatic. There's nothing to change. Since you've been there, since Derek Ben I know. When I was there, Jered, it was one of the most life changing moments. And I never saw a person in that room that didn't get emotional. I was so excited for the young child. But like I say, when one apple asks a fool, then we judged the whole borrow.
Speaker 2: But we didn't judge Obel George. We called him out by name.
Speaker 4: Baby, you know what I'm saying. But he was only one person. But he was only one person.
Speaker 2: George, I know.
Speaker 4: But George, now that that's the Now, that's the truth. Your news on't fail, and that's a ain't and out society. That's one of the reason we have on our problems because good don't make make no difference in America. If you're doing bad, we love you. Know, here's the deal, Joe.
Speaker 1: We didn't say we loved you. We said we didn't like it. So I can roll over on Anthony. But here's the deal, George.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm not saying that. I'm not I'm not using the whole.
Speaker 2: I know. I want society as a whole in you to hear this. Here's Frankie. There's Frankie's Now I did.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to know. I don't know how you abbreviate. My dad was a right but he would.
Speaker 2: Look me square in my face and tell me, George.
Speaker 1: Doing the right things expected. I'm not gonna give you anything for the emotions you should have. That's expected.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: When a young man won't call a team back that's drafted him and it's gonna give him, he's gonna make forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: That's his first deal. Forty million. Man, you can't call him back. I gotta talk about you.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, and whoever's telling you, I'm George, that's all doing the right thing, George.
Speaker 4: But but Jared, Jared, Okay, go ahead. If if I'm giving you forty million dollars and you don't call me back. I'm not worried about you. I may make a phone call to you. You know what I mean. You may have blown the opportunity broad, George.
Speaker 1: We went through this with Baron Davis, so I knew before we drafted him with Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember in college I recruited Baron got me great guy. I mean he's any producer now, George.
Speaker 4: Wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: He calls me and says, yes, he is all. He's producing movies, he says. And he's always on ESPN, his own podcast, his own things. George. I mean he's wealthy, he's done so well. I'm so happy for him. Good guy.
Speaker 1: He calls me the draft Eve, don't draft me. I'm not coming, I said, b we want you to come work out. I'm not coming to work out, I said, B. There don't make any difference. We're drafting you. Forget it, George. We drafted me. Flies in the next day like he's supposed to. Walks in my office. George shuts the door. His own entourage is outside. The entire entourage is outside closed doors. That's Paul Silace, that's Bob bass. Everybody, eve you, I can't even tell the choice words. We walked out laughing, and he ended up being a great hornet, all star, greatest guy represented the team. Oh what of then ambassador? But George, you think you and I have choice words? I gotta get bad on.
Speaker 2: He'll take you. That's the truth. We came out. We were like, what are y'all doing it there? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: BD was yelling and screaming, and I'm yelling at the scream. We walked out laughing. Everybody bust out laughing. Reporters, everybody.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. George so crazy. But I think that age will find out. You toss a great place to play it. I mean, come on, I love a Bailey, but he still ain't Griff.
Speaker 4: I don't love a Bley, but he's not represented well and he wasn't prepared for this yet. And I don't disagree with that in any way. Man, he did. It was a dumb bonehead movie made. I don't disagree with that at all. Millions dollars.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, come on, played his whole career there. Daryl could have left, guys. I want you to know, Daryl could have his four year deal. He could have forced a trade. He could have left. He could have said I'm not signing Kerrol.
Speaker 2: Didn't do that. Derrold took the Jazz from nothing.
Speaker 1: He Karl alone, John Stockton, that cut me, Mark Eaton thorough Bailey from North Carolina State.
Speaker 2: To a great team, a contender.
Speaker 1: But you know, if things have and he's right on that with things have changed, guys, we had seven thirty Anthony, any other national news you.
Speaker 2: Want to get up or I'll let you go and Georgia and I take it over. I might have to whip George.
Speaker 1: Anything else you need all y'all.
Speaker 5: We do have more news, obviously, we do talking about Obviously Chuckie Hepper and Terrence Edwards will be playing in the NBA Summer League. They went undrafted, but they were picked up and done by two teams as well, so that it's good to hear. And Rayne Smith as well. So we actually have three UGO cards playing the NBA Summer League. Yes, and also Al Khalifa will have granted his fifty year of eligibility, so he will be eligible this season to play for the UA Cardinals as just got passed over this weekend. So it's great news for the U though Cardinals, Ali Khlifa and also Pat Kelsey as well.
Speaker 2: There you go. Great job, guys. We're at seven thirty one. We're gonna use this. Yeah, we're gonna stay at task.
Speaker 1: Uh. EVE Sports Radio phone numbers five zero two, five seven one seventy nine hundred.
Speaker 2: We will be back. And Jorjia wasn't my fault. It was Martin's fault. That was martin fault while I play was delayed. Martin Dunbar did it.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to you always blaming Martin Man. Man's a great guy.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I don't know how he puts up with you.
Speaker 1: Everybody's a great guy when it comes to you, George, other than me, that's frue. Welcome back to E Sports Radio phone number is five zero two five seven one seventy nine hundred. That's five zero two, five seven one seventy nine hundred. Oh gosh, it's sports talk. I got Gus behind the glass. I've got George Williams on the other line. George, we're gonna get the first of Ali Khalif you always are telling people that you know that I won't say or when I'm wrong, but I predicted this one incorrectly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I want to explain to people.
Speaker 1: That at least I will tell people when the NCAA has changed their mind. If you remember, George, we spoke about Khalifa. You may not have been on that actual show, but we spoke about Ali Khalifa, and I told people that I did not think that they would grant him his fifth year because he did not play during the COVID season. And that's why I keep all my notes, George. I've got all my notes written down for him. Twenty twenty one, red shirt year, twenty two, twenty one through twenty three, played at Charlotte, twenty three, twenty four played at BYU, Transferred to Louisville twenty four to twenty five, wants to play twenty five, twenty six got me, but he did not play or participate during the COVID season. In George, that is when the beginning of the match that started. They said we'll give you a fifth year if you play a shortened seasons.
Speaker 2: For the players that said okay, we'll play, they gave them a full year.
Speaker 1: Made sense, George, because they're only like seventeen to eighteen games that season, so it made sense, well, George, John Henry, who you know well, you remember.
Speaker 2: John Henry who played for me death God exactly individual yesterday, George.
Speaker 1: I shut down his junior season after the third game because we could not facilitate the bus that we were traveling on. We couldn't stop and get food. You couldn't take a bus to drive through. They weren't letting you in the restaurant's the fast food restaurant. So I eventually had to. We played at Campbellsville and we played our first game. Second game was canceled because one of the young men on the other team came down with COVID. So the school and I make a decision. We shut down the season, George, which ended up killing John Henry's fifth year because we didn't play. So I said that the NCAA, when they denied Khalif for the first time, this is the only reason why they denied it, because he did not play during the COVID season.
Speaker 2: That they wouldn't allow the man to play.
Speaker 1: Well, they changed their mind, George, and Ali Khalifa is able to play. I'm happy for Louisville and the young man. I'm just saying for John Henry. I'm mad now.
Speaker 4: Because me too, because I love John Henry's game exactly.
Speaker 2: I wrote the appeal just like Louisville did twice.
Speaker 1: Trying to let they told me no, and then all of a sudden, now time has changed. So for John Henry's sake, I was upset about it. I'm glad for Ali Khalifa, but that's why I said what I said George, So I'm throwing it to you now that he is eligible to played George big Man in the middle, great passer from what coach Polk says at Kentucky?
Speaker 2: What do you think that was his coach at BYU.
Speaker 4: Well, again, Jerry, I wish John had got the play because he is a tremendous young man and he did a great job for you guys, and I thought he, you know, had a great career and I wish he could have finished out on top like he should have. But Jerry, I'm confused how to NCA makes their rulings. Some school some places can get certain things done. You know, it's pretty much like anything else, the popularity contest. But for the young man, I'm excited because, like I said, he did nothing wrong. He just was said early. But what about the young man at Tennessee. Jerry, he s he's doing the.
Speaker 2: Place they denied. They told Jordan ex Yeah.
Speaker 4: But he's doing in the courtroom. Jery. He took it to court.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, judge. The judge said no, George, Yes.
Speaker 4: Did I did not hear that. I'm glad, thank god, thank god.
Speaker 2: Judge said no, George.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah. I mean so.
Speaker 2: He thought he was the VAM party. You a k. He thought he's blood George.
Speaker 4: When he's such yall's blood clo. I U the young I'm not.
Speaker 2: You're broken. Excuse me.
Speaker 4: I thought we were talking about second blood. We were talking about George. I mean you brought the subject up, Jerry. It was Joe Suckey.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you're correct about that, but he was denied by the judge. George, So somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Time to start the life sooner than later. Here it's time.
Speaker 1: Now here's the one good thing. You're gonna love this, and I want people to hear these numbers. You've talked about this for years, and we both talked about letting players get paid in college because it would be beneficial to the player.
Speaker 2: We didn't say the school, you and I. We said the player. The schools have always.
Speaker 1: Taken care of themselves, and they're not going to get Jerry's to change.
Speaker 4: My mind on that.
Speaker 1: They've made billions before they paid us now billions, not millions.
Speaker 2: So George, here's the deal.
Speaker 1: And twenty twenty one, three hundred and fifty three players entered the NBA Draft. That's when schools could kind of start to pay. Twenty twenty two, two hundred and eighty three players entered their name into the NBA Draft. Twenty twenty three George. Two hundred and forty two players ended. Twenty four. Two hundred and one players enter George twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: On money figues.
Speaker 2: One hundred and six George entered.
Speaker 1: So they're staying in college, which is a good thing for George Williams.
Speaker 2: And I know, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Does come a time after the fifth year, I want them out. I don't want to see any six year or seven of your players and then.
Speaker 2: I don't agree. I'm sorry, I agree with the guys.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling for the guys to get paid, but I'll tell them to they face five years and move on.
Speaker 2: College is over, get your degree, get your secondary degree, and go to work, period point blank, or go be a pro player. Either or, but be good enough.
Speaker 1: But I'm so tired of twenty six and twenty seven year old college football players holding back on opportunities of young people. I don't know what to do, so Georgie anyway, So it is a good thing, George, that they're paying, don't you agree? Because it's lord the numbers, Oh.
Speaker 4: No doubt. And see you see what it's doing is stopping all these players from running out of college yet, I mean, fishing up that degree they have the ability to now and and the resource. I think it's I think it's a wonderful thing. And he shows what you were talking about how it pays off more young people. But Jared, and that's one of the reasons that I hate to say it. You're talking about that young man ace. A lot of these young men are getting a lot of money and they don't think about leaving no more.
Speaker 3: Jeded.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, And I'm Georgia. I'm glad for him to stay in college. The opposite every one else.
Speaker 4: The ball will be a lot better this year, Jerry. We will see a lot better brand of Well, you're talking about the ACC. I think the ACC will be better. I think all conferences will be better but I wasn't on the show, Jerry, and I wanted to bring this up with you. Uh, what do you think about the school like the Big East, who don't have football teams and can drop all that money into basketball. They can almost give the minor sports for a million dollars just to play with. Yes, yes, great question. Question is already recreeting.
Speaker 1: Great question, George. Here's the problem, George. The NCAA is now the ruling the House against the nc double a rule to miss the Judge Watkins that the schools have twenty million dollars to work with.
Speaker 2: That's football, basketball is all the sports. But you just said something. Some sports don't have football, and a.
Speaker 4: School don't it all.
Speaker 1: Right that has a little minor league football program, George. They can dump all that twenty million if they want into basketball.
Speaker 2: Now here's the problem. It doesn't limit.
Speaker 1: Outside You can still have I hate to tell you, but my boy Ryan was right. You can still have outside incomes. George, play a part, right, So the Alabamas, George can have twenty millionaires. They still want to do some outside endorsements with the players, they still can't. It doesn't limit so George, it's just gonna be the wild wild West out of here people getting paid.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you gonna represent me? I need you to represent me because Georgie, I want a couple of dimes.
Speaker 1: I wasn't good, but George's dang and I did help win the championship in nineteen eighty period, point blank.
Speaker 2: Second half. I don't care anybody says, can you get something? Well?
Speaker 4: But but but this is the guy that I'm telling you. It's gonna eat mugs up with this tricky Ricky Patino. You gonna get rick that kind of money to play with you. You have a baby New York Knick team.
Speaker 2: I'm player, George will Man.
Speaker 4: I mean there's certain coaches out there there just don't and there's gonna be certain coaches to leave conferences too, to get up in that big East too, and schools where they don't have for about You're gonna watch the change the last money.
Speaker 1: Yes, George, you hit it on the head, tricky Rick Well, George, seven forty four, We're still because we're gonna use this show seven forty four, and I'm happy for Khalifa. Okay, We're gonna find you. Louise, Hey, George, Louise Kentucky loaded. Both teams are loaded. Indiana not yet. But we got to give him time. But boy and Coach Pope, give people, don't we do. We'll give the people. The public won't. You'll force me to, and I'm with you, but the public won't. But we're gonna give him a year.
Speaker 2: But George, Kentucky are loaded. This is gonna be a great year to watch. So when we come back, George, since you brought up slick Rick, I didn't. And I'm looking at the newspaper right here, George.
Speaker 1: And before we go, Anthony was the first thing on the list I gave him, but he's left it to me and he's correct. I just want people to know d Wayne Lucas brought families together.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go to break with this jew.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give you thirty seconds too, but I need thirty seconds on d Wade.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about the horse business.
Speaker 1: I do now because I know Dale Romans and I know men, and I know my friends got me that have inherited me and brought me into the horse business. But d Wayne Lucas is the name I heard when I was four or five years old. My dad used to love him when his horse is won and hate him when his horses lost. But he brought families together. And I'm not a gambler, so it doesn't mean, oh, he had yet the track gambling.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows. I've been on the number five, two dollars across the board. Okay, d Wayne Lucas brought families together. You can't say that about many people, but he did.
Speaker 2: He had parties.
Speaker 1: We had Oh Derby parties and family members came in and d Wayne Lucas's name was a center of the conversation.
Speaker 2: I just want people to know.
Speaker 1: Fifteen time triple crown victories for Kentucky, Derby's seven frequencies, or Bellmont's twenty breeders' cups. Come on, guys. But he was bigger than that. He brought in trainers to the business, Todd Pletcher, Dallas Stewart, Mike Maker. But he's bigger than that.
Speaker 2: He brought families together. Life well lived, sir, Life well lived.
Speaker 1: I'm throwing that to you. George will go to break on d.
Speaker 4: Wade well Jay. I can't say a lot of them, Like I said, me and you both probably got oriented into track on a big wave since we've been doing this show, and it's just we've been alriented into it. You know, we've had we have the Trainer Show every year and nobody, but nobody said if there's anybody bigger than Dwayne Lucas among his peers. So you know when your peers respect you, and being former athletes, we know that sometime the public looks at a certain person think they're really great. But when you talk to the ball players and they'll tell you who they really think that they start and the people around the track always told us it was Dwayne Lucas. So my hect goes up, my adocus goes out to him and the family, and he'd be well missed in the tracking, I mean in the horse racing industry, no question.
Speaker 2: It's Easworts Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get dal Long to speak about him sometime this week. It's Eastworts Radio seven forty seven. I've got Gus behind the glass. We will speak to you after the break. It's seven fifty. It's Eenves Sports Radio for number five zero two five seven nine hundred.
Speaker 2: George.
Speaker 1: We got our first caller. We're gonna go to it, please, guys, Spring Scott to the show. Scott, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it by yourself A long time?
Speaker 2: Long time?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: If I was uh with that, Hey, I got a question for you. Well, I tell you without with all the tornadoes we've had, there ain't too many trees left to climb. Right, go ahead with this pay to play. I agree what I be said that these players should be paid. But what about their education, their their their scholarships and everything. Shouldn't that be tied into their overall you know, if if they're getting paid to play while the scholarships.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, George, you want to go first? You want me to go first? George?
Speaker 1: I like that question. Okay, here's the deal, Scott. I have no problem with that. I have no problem with if you pay a player. Now, we can't pay him ten thousand dollars and say he's got to take it from a scholarship that's worth twenty five. But if we do pay a percentage over the amount of the scholarship, and I'm going to say, oh, I'd like to have eight times for twenty if he made two hundred.
Speaker 2: You know, if you made one hundred and sixty thousand of the twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: Then I would say a portion of his scholarship should come out of that money.
Speaker 2: But it's got to be that percentage.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear schools say, hey, we paid him fifty you should pay your twenty thois dollars scholarship. No, but if it's enough to where it makes it reasonable, I have no problem. Now I'm hearing about in George, all these million dollar deals.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see them.
Speaker 1: In fact, I want to see them to where I know what people make they're getting paid now, so yes, ain't no secret. I want to know. I want to know. So people that are making a million dollars, yes, they should have to pay their scholarship.
Speaker 2: If I top amount of money, George, George might be camplete different. What do you got, George?
Speaker 4: Well, well, both both of you guys got to think about this, and this is the reason we started talking about this, Jered. What did I generate for the university to make off of me coming to your school? What was my ability to sign my name on that line? What did it do for your school when I signed so? In order for your school to say popular current, you're gonna have their players to come to your school. Well, what's the prone to get me to your school? Because if another school, say Georgia, I won't I won't charge you for your tuition and I'll give you X number of dollars. What school you think is gonna win out?
Speaker 2: That's true. No, that's very true.
Speaker 4: You know so so true. What did the players do for your school before they got that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Okay, but but but but you take the set out you take. They set out every game, regardless.
Speaker 1: Of but take what happens they don't go and then answering George, finish.
Speaker 3: Reperena the crowds of Reparenda the name of the father shirt, not the name.
Speaker 4: Of the back god. You selling Reperena out because the players are playing in Reberena, not because the name on the front of the jersey. Don't get that confused. You're gonna win a championship. You don't go to games. If you thought that, you would look at the football team and have they tell him at the football team right now?
Speaker 3: Yea, the elite okay teams?
Speaker 2: Okay, both stopped there. I like no, I love this conversation, Scott, George is got point.
Speaker 1: Is it an elite school because Adolph brought elite players with him and his coaching or or George, is it Kentucky makes the players.
Speaker 2: That's where we are. That's the conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so George first, go ahead, George, go ahead, George ahead.
Speaker 2: Now you go first.
Speaker 4: We talked about That's what we talked about about. The players getting played paid is what they generated for the university, and they got none of the reward back for what they generated for the university.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm asking for my money, Scott, I'm not gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm with George, No, I want to I want to ask about money as well.
Speaker 4: If you think about what they make in the n c A for these different universities, they five pertent of it to pay for all of them Schotltship, especially in basketball.
Speaker 2: All right now, Scott, George, Scott, I'm throwing it to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, God, you're talking.
Speaker 2: Yes, go ahead.
Speaker 3: They're talking about the players making money for the team. What about Pelfrey Farmer and all them no name players. They were still selling out Reperena. They were playing. They were playing for the name in front of that jersey, at the back of that jersey.
Speaker 4: I love that sold about this. They were only there because.
Speaker 1: Finish, Let him finish. They were they were five hundred. There were five hundred, so you all remember Rick came That group was five hundred. And don't forget there was a guy named mash Burn that was with the group.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, go ahead, Scott.
Speaker 3: Go ahead. But what I'm saying is that, you know, you take your walking ons, which is gonna be a thing in the past, you know they Yeah, are they not just as important that their practices and all that to help out of these other players as the toppings and should so shouldn't they get a free scholarship as well?
Speaker 1: Well, I got you a lot of well, guys, I hate George, I hate we gotta go. I hate it, Scott. I'm gonna talk about it this morning tomorrow at the beginning of the show. Guys, great show, great call, Scott's self and Lim George, great job, great reply. It's the sports radio guys. God Willie like Jordan says, I'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Love you, Oh bye bye.