Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: O JFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 3: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 4: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 5: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: And his name is Amy King.
Speaker 6: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is not it's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, December eleventh, two weeks until Christmas. Two weeks. I'm way behind, way behind. Lots of Christmas shopping still to do. Oh and my tree is still up. I told you about that. Still not decorated. I'm going to try to get that done before the weekend. It seems kind of sad to sit there and stare at a tree with no lights and decorations on it. Still pretty though. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Evacuation orders remade in effect for about two thousand homes in Malibu because of the fire that's burned almost thirty nine hundred acres and is zero percent surrounded. About six thousand more homes are under evacuation warnings. Road closures include Los Virgines Road and Mulholland Highway and PCH between Tepenga Canyon Boulevard and Canaan Doom Road. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Alex Stone about some of the people who did not leave their homes. They stayed back to help save others. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Time is running out for the Los Pedrino's Juvenile Hall in Downey to be cleared out. The California Board of State and Community Corrections ordered all the inmates to be moved out by tomorrow after the facility failed its latest inspection earlier this month. A state inspector says there is not enough staff or security cameras and the facility is unsuitable. Health officials in Marine County are investigating a possible case of bird flu in a child. If confirmed, it would be the second case of bird flu in a child in California. A child in Alameda County tested positive last month. Health officials are working to determine the source of the child's exposure. Coming up on wake up call, how you can buy a car on Amazon. And also I've got a bone to pick with Rich Demiro about his holiday shopping guide. That's coming up at five twenty five point thirty five. Amy's on it always looking for good shows. I found a fun movie that you might want to curl up on the couch with the kids, Blankets of hot chocolate and watch the origins of Santa the new take on it. Kind of interesting. That's coming up at five point thirty five. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thousands of people in Malibu remain under evacuation orders as a fire that started in Malibu Canyon has grown to almost thirty nine hundred acres. It started late Monday night and has burned at least seven homes or other buildings. LA County Sheriff's Captain Jennifer Seidou says evacuation centers have been set up to help people who still can't go home.
Speaker 7: We have security patrols throughout our affective areas. We will not tolerate anyone coming to this community to re victimize our community members.
Speaker 1: A shelter set up at the Palisades Recreation Center has been moved to the Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District Professional Development and Learning Center building. That's a mouthful. It's in Santa Monica. Another shelter has been opened in Calabasas. An audit of the LA Homeless serviss authorities performance over a five year period shows one in four city funded beds were not used and it cost LA taxpairs about two hundred eighteen million dollars. City Controller Kenneth Mahia's office has released the findings of the audit, which showed how LASA handled transitioning people from interim to permanent housing. It showed that between twenty nineteen and twenty three, only one in five interim shelter residents were moved into permanent housing, while more than half returned to homelessness or unknown outcomes. The man charged with killing United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson in New York is fighting extradition from Pennsylvania. He shouted at reporters yesterday as he was taken to court for a hearing region.
Speaker 5: Experiences.
Speaker 1: The New York's governor says she plans to sign a warrant to force Luigi Mangioni's extradition defense attorney Thomas Dickey says his client plans to plead not guilty to all charges.
Speaker 2: The burden's always on the government, thank god, and that's start burden, and they're going to have to produce some evidence and we're anxious to see it.
Speaker 1: He's asking people not to rush to judgment. In Mangioni's case, a man who says he bought two of the same winning Mega Millions lottery tickets and Encino is suing because he only got paid for one of them. The tickets were sold in December of last year, and the one that was not claimed recently expired. It was worth nearly two hundred million dollars. The man suing says he bought both tickets but lost one of them. He submitted a claim for the misplaced ticket on December fourth, three days before the expiration date. Let's now check in with ABC's Alex Stone. Alex, the wildfire burning in Malibu has burned almost thirty nine hundred acres. We just got new numbers about fifteen minutes ago, and it has destroyed a few homes. Where are we with the fire now.
Speaker 8: Amy, Good morning, Yeah, round seven homes, but they're going to send out teams today to really count figure out, so that number is going to change. Seven homes destroyed, I know I saw one, and then there was one next door that had some damage. But they think around that number destroyed, and then probably another eight or nine that have damage. But the fire itself it looks a lot better today in that there is still fire above the Carbon Canyon area, but the flames are no longer around homes. The wind has come way down, humidity levels are going up a little bit, and I think this story is going to be one about Pepperdine and what they were able to do in their library to make it essentially fireproof but fire resistant, and then what the neighbors were doing where they bought their own fire hoses, had water pumps that they were pulling water out of their swimming pools because they knew they had to do it. This is one of those guys, al Gellis.
Speaker 9: He told me, we basically have these gas powered water pumps with fire hoses. We drench our house so no fire could start ever, And that freed me to go put out fires in five other people's homes, save five other people's homes.
Speaker 8: He said that they had been planning for what yesterday morning was and that they had bought these fire hoses, knowing that and the equipment to go with them, that firefighters would not be able to get in. And they were not able to get in. And they are in a canyon, Sarah Canyon, where they knew that they were going to be cut off, and they were when the fire was coming in, and it was every man and woman for themselves.
Speaker 9: It was pretty insane.
Speaker 1: And it's so thick.
Speaker 9: My eyes were burning, My voice is so hoarse, and I don't even know how much smoke on hill.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he showed me videos of their battle. Aye, just walls of fire everywhere as they were just trying to knock down all the fire that was coming at them, everything that they could do. And I mean, he says, in that moment, they didn't know if they were going to live, They didn't know if they were going to save their homes, and they did, and firefighters they couldn't get there to held them out.
Speaker 9: There was so much fire in here. It was insane.
Speaker 1: Insane.
Speaker 8: Now, of course firefighters don't want you to do this. When they tell you to get out, they want you to get out. But this is a group of neighbors who that they had decided, look, that they weren't just going to let their homes burn, that they were going to be ready for this day, knowing that this day was going to come living in Malibu, that every couple of years that there is a bad fire that comes through, and that they were ready for it. And he said it felt pretty good.
Speaker 9: What a night did something for the community, all about giving back, doing things for other people, being grateful for what you have because it could all go in a second.
Speaker 8: But yeah, to about thirty eight hundred acres right now, no containment around it. That number will probably come up today and a lot of firefighters fifteen hundred who were on it right now, twenty thousand people evacuated. Some people may be allowed to begin going home today, and then there's even a chance ay Mamy have some rain tomorrow, so a.
Speaker 1: Twenty four chance, but it's a little.
Speaker 8: Yeah, at least it's gonna be something and bring up the moisture levels, the humidity levels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alex, I want to talk a little bit more about the guy who you were talking to who made his own little fire station basically, so they have pumps that they put in their swimming pools, So that's about ten thousand gallons. And then what about the hoses. Because when I first saw the story, hearing that the guy was trying to save neighbors homes and that kind of stuff, I was thinking, he's out there with a garden hose, and I was like, yeah, good luck. But this was much more industrial.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is not a garden hose at all. This is a fire hose. You know what you would think of when you see firefighters pulling out their hoses and they've got the really thick like kevlar braided or whatever the material is hoses that come out that they are big and they are thick, and that's what they were using. And they had it hooked up to the pump. It had gas powered pump, and they moved it around from house to house and they saved about five of them. One of their neighbors lost their house completely. And they would just dip one end of the hose, end of the pool and just go to town and completely wet their homes. They were shooting up to the palm trees when they would light, so then those embers didn't fly all over the place and the wind and the hillsides is that the hills would go. They were hitting that and just exhausting any amount of water that they had. His shirt had bird marks all in it. I mean, they put up a heck of a fight to save their canyon, and for the most part, they were able to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's such a it's a great story, but it's also kind of a cautionary tale because, like you said, the firefighters don't want them in there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but in that moment, you know, even the firefighters are kind of like, well, they can do whatever they want to do because they couldn't get in and no help was coming. And they knew that in a lot of the Malibu Canyon roads where you go in and it's windy in and it's tight when there's fire on all sides, firefighters aren't coming. So they pretty much, you know, said, look, it was dangerous. They could have died doing it. But if that's what they want to do, it's up to them.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Alex Stone, thank you so much for the information. Really really fascinate you got it.
Speaker 8: Thanks baby.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two people have been arrested in the fatal shooting of a doctor in Woodland Hills. Polly said the doctor was ambushed in August as he was leaving his medical practice on Topega Canyon Boulevard. Investigators say he may have been targeted. Detectives yesterday said a woman from Riscita and a man from Texas are facing charges. The judge who presided over Danny Masterson's rape trial says she'll refer two defense lawyers and a private investigator to regulatory agencies to look into allegations the actor's legal team contacted former jurors at their homes without consent. She says how Masterson's defense got hold of personal juror information is a mystery to the court. Masterson was convicted last year of raping two women and is serving a state prison sentence of thirty years to life. President elect Trump's nominee for Secretary of State, Pete Hegseth, was back in Washington, d c. Meeting with Senate members to try to get their support for his confirmation. Hegg Seth met yesterday with Alaska republic and Senator Lisa Murkowski, who has voiced concerns about the nomination. I appreciate, appreciate her very much. It was a wonderful meeting and a great discussion, Murkowski says. They had a good exchange, and we'll see what the process bears. The House Task Force investigating the Secret Services failures in two attempts on President elect Trump's life has delivered its final report. ABC's Stephen Portnoy says it makes recommendations on how to stop incidents like that and reforms for lawmakers to consider.
Speaker 10: By partisan House panel says the Secret Service should work with Congress to ensure employment at the agency is quote more sustainable and rewarding by reducing the pace of travel and ensuring proper payment of overtime.
Speaker 1: He says. The panel says Congress should look at moving the Secret Service out of the Department of Homeland Security so he can better advocate for its own budgetary needs as an independent agency. A new ap Nork poll shows just two in ten Americans approve of President Biden's decision to pardon his son Hunter. Biden had repeatedly said he would not pardon his son for his convictions on weapons and tax evasion charges. But then changed his mind over the Thanksgiving weekend and pardoned his son over On December first, Hunter Biden was scheduled to be sentenced in his tax EVAs case in California next week. Santa Ana wins are expected to continue pushing the flames of the fire burning in Malibu. The National Weather Service says a red flag warning with a PDS designation is in place until this evening. PDS stands for a particularly dangerous situation, which is rarely used. Humidity levels are low. With the strong winds, wildfire danger is extremely high. The man charged with the murder of the CEO of United Healthcare in New York is fighting his extradition from Pennsylvania. Luigi Mangioni was arrested at a McDonald's in Altoona Monday and appeared in court yesterday. He's being held without bail. New York Mayor Cathy Hokals expected to issue a governor's order to speed up extradition. We're going to be talking ABC's Peter Haralambo's at five point fifty about what may have motivated mangione to kill Caitlin Clark has been named Time Magazine's Athlete of the year, the former Iowa Hawkeye and current Indiana Fever guard at an historic rookie year, breaking the NCAA career scoring record in the spring and then winning WNBA Rookie of the Year in the fall. Clark returns to the court with the Fever in spring of twenty twenty five. Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech right here on KFI KTLA's Tech Guy, Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 6: Morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you Amy, real quick, some breaking news in the tech world. Oh, the new iOS eighteen point two is going to be available today, which brings even more AI features to your phone, like the ability to create images with a Mooji playground and all kinds of cool stuff. So and chachibtree at chat cibt as well. So be on the lookout, okay.
Speaker 1: So, and is that an automatic one or do we have to go and force that one on?
Speaker 6: No, you got to go and do it. But unless you have the automatic updates and you'll get it probably you know, overnight tonight or the next night. It's still not showing up on my phone, but sometime today eighteen point two if you're daring, you know, some people like to wait a couple of days before they jump in, So that might be my advice at this point, And.
Speaker 1: Isn't it, Because when they first get pushed out sometimes there's some glitches in them.
Speaker 6: There could be. I mean historically there's been some in the past, so you know, it's one of these things. It's been tested by a lot of people. But when you get it into the hands of like millions and millions of people all at once, that's when some other ugly bugs can rear their heads.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I'm going to play the waiting game on that one. So Amazon sales just about everything, and now we can add cars to the list.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, I am so all about this Amazon Autos right now, it's just one company, Hyunday, and it's they're teaming up with local dealers because you know in the US most of the cars they're sold through local dealerships. But you can do everything else online. You can outfit your car exactly how you want it. You can put the options in, you can see exactly what the out thedoor price is going to be, and you can sign all your paperwork and then all you have to do is go to the dealership to pick up your car and right now they're giving you a twenty three hundred dollars gift card to Amazon if you buy a car through Amazon. And I'm not kidding, Amy, I'm not sure if you've ever bought a car online. I did with my last one. I got a Tesla and of course it's all done online, and it was the best experience of my life.
Speaker 1: Why is it so great?
Speaker 6: You don't have to haggle, you don't have to deal with anyone, You just I don't know if you've ever gone into an auto dealership and had to deal with that final room where they have the square of paper with the four squares and they say, let's see what we can do now, and it's just they keep you there as long as humanly possible.
Speaker 1: It is intimidating.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well they're doing it every day. You're doing it once every three to four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, so and is that available now?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I actually I put an auto in my cart yesterday and all of a sudden, it was like I got an email that was like, hey, do you want to complete this purchase? You still have it? I was like, wait, I was just testing this out, Like don't charge me, thankfully, it's not a one click process like the rest of Amazon.
Speaker 1: Well I was going to say, is there a buy now button?
Speaker 6: No, thankfully because no, But this will be interesting just to see how many other you know, this is obviously a dance with Amazon, because you know, these automakers don't want to give up this process because they obviously make a lot of money on add ons and things that people get extended warranty stuff like that. But they also want to be kind of tech forward, and so I guess Hyundai is the first one to kind of dive into that world.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then also on another tech thing that has to do with automobiles, GM is ditching robotaxis.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was kind of a surprise. Apparently the people that work there as well. You've heard of cruise, you know, they're GM robotaxi program. Yes, but they've had a bunch of problems. Remember up in San Francisco, people are like stopping them with cones. They had like an accident and you know, or drag someone into the car, and so they paused this program for a while. And now GM, I think they've just had enough headaches. They said, you know what, We're done with this, we're no longer going to do this robo taxi program, but we're still going to take the technology that we've learned and developed from this taxi program to our cars. So GM has something called super Cruise, which is sort of their hands free auto driving, and they are going to use some of this technology for that. But that doesn't mean that they're going to lose a lot of money in this situation, because you know, Cruise is a big is a big part of their company, and a lot of people are employed there. So Waimo is kind of the last man standing here at this point.
Speaker 1: I still haven't taken one. Have you taken a robotaxi?
Speaker 6: I did. I took the Weaimo up in San Francisco, though not here in La yet, so it you know, it's great, and I use the self driving on the Tesla and it's all. You know, I think the Waimo is different because it's got the light ar on the radar. But you know, we're gonna have to get used to this idea of our cars driving us.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, now I have to get to the really important thing. I got a beef with you.
Speaker 6: Uh oh yeah, I'm worried about this.
Speaker 1: So it has to do with your holiday guide, which you can find on your website, right, yes, okay, so it's on rich on tech dot TV and you have all these great suggestions for tech gifts for the holidays.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 1: One of the ones we talked about was the wall crawling gecko.
Speaker 6: Yes, oh, I know, I've seen things happening to me. Yeah what you can't get it? I can't get it. Mine has been people.
Speaker 1: Listened to Wake Up Call and took your recommendations that I can't get a damn gecko. I know.
Speaker 6: I got an email from Amazon delayed, delayed, delayed, delayed, and it just keeps getting delayed. So I don't know what to say. I mean, the Christmas is going to be ruined, That's all I can say.
Speaker 1: I know, they're only like they're twenty five bucks at Walmart, and it keeps teasing me because I go in and I put it in my cart and it says by now, and then they go sorry, not available.
Speaker 6: Oh no, even there. Well this is a hot gift apparently, so I guess we were right. We were on the cutting edge. And yeah, ok at okay, here okay, Walmart arrive in three days let's see. Can I order it by now?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 6: At the car. Oh, we're sorry, this item's long. That's false advertising. Walmart. Come on.
Speaker 1: I think Target had some at some point, and I saw one time it said you could go into the store. They said it's in the Rosemead store. I'll one eleven or something like that. But I'm like, I'm not driving out to Rosemead. So anyway, that's my beef. But I really want to get that I have. I have fourteen days now to see if they restock them.
Speaker 6: Good luck, because mine has been delayed to like December seventeenth or something.
Speaker 1: So well then there's still hope.
Speaker 6: And I ordered it before I told you on the radio.
Speaker 1: Oh all right. This is KTLA's Rich Jimmuro. He's also the host of Rich on Tech right here on KFI. You can hear him Saturdays from eleven to two. You can find that holiday gift giving guide, but don't try to order the get go on his website, rich on Tech dot TV. You can also follow Rich on Instagram at rich on Tech.
Speaker 6: Thanks Rich, Thanks Amy, good luck, Hey.
Speaker 1: Thanks. More than two thousand people have been ordered to evacuate their homes as the fire burning and Malibu continues to burn out of control. This guy stayed behind to help protect his neighbor's houses.
Speaker 9: A lot of people we evacuated, so we were able to kind of step in and save their houses and some of their animals. And yeah, it was you know, we ought to be grateful for every moment because you never know how fast it's going to change.
Speaker 1: La County Sheriff Robert Luna has this message for people refusing to leave.
Speaker 5: You need to evacuate.
Speaker 3: It saves lives and it actually impacts the lives of our first responders.
Speaker 1: La Kenny Fire Chief Anthony Maroney says at least seven homes or other buildings have been destroyed by the fire. Another eight were damaged. The fire burned nearly thirty nine hundred acres. An LAPD helicopter is crashed at a training base in Orange County.
Speaker 11: The crush landing happened early Tuesday afternoon on the Joint Forces training base in Los Alamados. The two pilots were practicing low altitude maneuvers when a strong wind gust tipped the chopper onto its side.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Daniel Martindale says the two pilots aboard were rescued, neither had to go to the hospital. A judge is blocked the proposed merger between grocery chains Kroger and Albertson's.
Speaker 3: A judge sided with the FTC on Tuesday, which argued the merger would have eliminated head to head competition between the two chains. It also said it would have led to higher prices for shoppers.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Brian Schucks as a merger was set to be worth twenty five billion dollars, but the judge's ruling effectively kills it. The grave site of an abolitionist in Alta, Dina has been declared a County Historic landmark. Owen Brown was the son of John Brown, whose famous raid on Harper's Ferry in Virginia helped spark the movement to end American slavery and eventually led to his execution in eighteen fifty nine. Owen Brown, who participated in that raid, was able to avoid being captured and later relocated to Pasadena. All four Malibu campuses in the Santa Monica Malibu School District will remain closed through tomorrow due to power outages, evacuations, and road closures prompted by the fire. That's burning in Malibu. We just got an update on the size of the fire. It's now almost thirty nine hundred acres and is zero percent surrounded. The former marine who was acquitted of negligent homicide and the choke hold death of a homeless man on a subway in New York City says he would have felt guilty if Jordan Neely had hurt anyone as he threatened to do. In an interview with Fox News, Daniel Penny said he would take a million court appearances and people calling him names and hating him just to keep one of those people on the subway from getting hurt or killed. A judge is blocked a twenty five million dollar merger of grocery chains Kroger and Albertson's. The judge yesterday sided with the FTC, which argued the merger would have eliminated head to head competition between the two chains and also would have led to higher prices for shoppers. The judges ruling effectively kills the merger at six so five at tamble on the news, Israel's on the attack in Syria. We'll tell you why. I fifty, the man charged in the killing of United Healthcare CEO may have been inspired by the unibomber. ABC's Peter Harlumbus has more on that.
Speaker 9: AMI's on it, Damien's on it, Amy's.
Speaker 1: On it, Damie's on it. What am I on? I'm on the stream. I'm on TV shows and movies and documentaries. Every once in a while, I go low tech and do books, taking recommendations of course, because there's so much content out there, it's like, how do you know what to even watch? And one of the things that is a little bit overwhelming right now is Christmas movies because when you go onto your apps like Netflix, there's a whole category. They look like there's a lot of Hallmark movies. But what do you know? What do you pick? So I take recommendations, watch them, and then let you know if I like them or not. Maybe that'll help you make a decision too. So there's two this week really quickly. Abc'swell Gance told us about Falling for Christmas last week with Lindsay Lohan, and I thought, well, that might be kind of cute, so I thought I'd better watch it. I did. It has Lindsay Lohan and Jack Wagner, So Lindsay's character is of course, she's well off. She's Daddy's little girl. Dad Jack Wagner wants her to take over his business, so she's up in the mountains. She gets in a ski accident she loses her memory. Enter the cute owner of the little struggling winter resort and his family, who helps her recover as she tries to find out who she is. And if you love Hallmark movies, you'll problem like this one. Now, no great performances, pretty predictable from the start. It's kind of cute. I don't know that i'd be on this one again. But if you're looking for like a hallmarky kind of Christmas movie, Falling for Christmas is on Netflix. Okay, here's another one. It's called Klaus. It's an animated movie. It has some familiar voices in it. Jason Schwartzman, Norm MacDonald, Joan Cusack, Rashida Jones, JK. Simmons, So some familiar voices, but I think they do such a good job. Like I was just watching it last night and when I was like, now, who is that? It sounds a little bit familiar, but I didn't know who it was. But anyways, so the story is Klaus. It's a rich, lazy young man named Jasper. He still is being pampered because he's lived a life of privilege. His dad wants him to become productive and of course he's failing because he's lazy and entitled. So his dad thinks he's going to make one last effort as getting his son to step up to the plate, and so he basically because the dad's the postmaster gender general, makes him go set up a new post office in a place called Smirnsburg. And smearns Bertberg is this desolate, lifeless little island town. There's no color, there's no joy. It feels a bit like Halloween town in a really dark way. Uh, jasperg gets a less than warm reception, but then his life, of course begins to change because what this is is a Santa origin story. And he meets a secret toy made maker but he's not claused. His name is Klaus, and together they form a weird little friendship and they you find out how Santa kinda came to be and how that goodness and all of that stuff kind of changes the town. It's a very sweet story. It's just a new twist on Santa Claus. It's one you've probably never seen before and probably haven't thought of before. So it was really cool because it's not you know, the traditional Night before Christmas or I know that's not an origin story, but and it's kind of a mix of old and new. It looks like animation rather than CG. It looks like classic animation, which I really really like. It's it's fun. It's a little bit dark, but not so much that you need to shelter the kids or something. It kind of feels a little bit like maybe like the characters are a little bit like Nightmare before Christmas, but not quite so extreme. I don't know if that makes sense, but anyway, it's Klaus. It's a good watch. It's fun for kids. Grown ups are going to like it too. It's on Netflix and I'm on it. I think you should be on it in time for Christmas too. I think there's still a little to squeeze it onto your Christmas viewing list. Two weeks from today is Christmas. In case you forgot, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fire burning in the hills of Malibu has burned nearly four thousand acres. It is zero percent surrounded.
Speaker 5: Strong winds and low humidities will continue to challenge firefighters on the line and in the air as they struggle to contain the stubborn fire.
Speaker 1: La County Fire Chief Anthony moroneys as the fires destroyed seven homes or other buildings and damaged eight others. Two thousand residents have been ordered to leave their homes. Six thousand more are under evacuation warnings. A man shot by police in Buena Park has died. Officers recalled yesterday about a possibly armed man seen walking in lanes on the five Freeway near Artiza Boulevard. The shooting happened during a confrontation with the man. Police didn't release more details. The police Department and the State Attorney's General Office are investigating. Burbank police say an officer involved shooting in October was an accident.
Speaker 6: Investigators have determined that this officer involved shooting was the result of.
Speaker 9: An unintentional discharge of the involved officer's duty weapon during a high risk traffic stop.
Speaker 1: Police Lieutenant Derek Green says the bullet went through the windshield, but no one was hit. The officer who fired has been with the department for fourteen years. Police say officers were looking for a stolen vehicle when they pulled over a white Ford van near Buena Vista and Van Owen Streets around one am. The driver was eventually arrested on suspicion of stealing the van and driving under the influence. Palestinian medical officials say Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip have killed at least twenty nine people overnight. They say one strike hit a home where displaced people had taken shelter. Officials say another strike hit near the entrance to a hospital. The military says it tries to avoid harming civilians and accuses militants of hiding among them. Health officials say women should have the option of taking their own test samples for cervical cancer screening. Maybec's Chuck Siebertson says the aim is to get more women screened to check for cancer causing HPV.
Speaker 4: Draft recommendations from the US Preventive Services Task Force advised women in their twenties to still get a PAP test every three years, then from age thirty to sixty five, women can get an HPV test every five years.
Speaker 1: The panel says test samples can be collected by a doctor or the patient herself in a mobile clinic or medical office. The recreational fishing season for dungeness crab is now open for part of northern California. Health officials say it is now safe to eat crabs caught from the California Oregon border down to just north of Eureka. The commercial crab season for Mendocino, Humboldt, and Del nort Counties remains closed until December thirty first because of poor crab quality. The state has secured federal funds to fight the fire burning in Malibu. Governor Newsom says a Fire Management Assistance grant from FEMA will make sure that money is available to pay for firefighting resources needed to battle the fire that started late Monday night in Malibu Canyon and has grown to almost thirty nine hundred acres. The La City Council's voted to expand renter's protection programs under Measure ULA, the so called mansion tax that was passed last year. ULA funds anti homelessness efforts. The council's action means the city can now access hundreds of millions of dollars for eviction defense, rental assistance, and income support for seniors and people with disabilities. Former New York City Congressman Anthony Wiener, who were signed from Congress in twenty eleven because of a sexting scandal, maybe trying to make a comeback. He has filed paperwork for a possible run for the New York City Council. He tried to run for the mayor of New York City in twenty thirteen, but that fell apart when another sexting scandal came to light. Let's say good morning to ABC's Peter Harralumbus's.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Peter, Good morning Amy, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for coming on. We need your your expertise in explaining this one. We've got Luigi Manji charged with murder of the United Healthcare ceo outside the Hilton Hotel in Midtown, Manhattan, which was a week ago. What have we found out about the man accused of gunning down the ceo in cold blood?
Speaker 5: So Luigi Maanngione in many ways is kind of an enigma at this point in terms of what might have motivated him. We know plenty about his background, though at this point he came from a very wealthy family in Baltimore. He was the valedictorian of an elite all boys school. He was a successful engineering student at the University of Pennsylvania, and he seemed to be a socially engaged adult, young adult who had a decent job working for an automotive website. You know, he was interesting. According to his colleagues, he was intellectual, but he didn't have what they believed kind of he didn't really exhibit any kind of warning signs according to the friends and family we've spoken to there, saying that basically he is a completely different person than the person they knew, and we're digging a little bit into his past to get a sense of what might have motivated him. According to a confidential NYPD assessment, Manjorda might have believed that this was symbolic takedown of the healthcare insurance industry, that he viewed himself as a hero, and that he might have been inspired by the unibomber. And now there's a threat possibility that he's now being kind of appreciated and celebrated online in a way that could make him a martyr.
Speaker 1: According to the NYPD, I've seen websites where you can buy merchandise with his picture on it. T shirts and hats and such.
Speaker 5: I've seen compilation videos in which people kind of put together a bunch of photos of his Instagram. I've seen folks talking about how they'd love to go visit in jail. And according to the NYPD, that's kind of an alarming sign that this is a person who committed, in their eyes, a cold blooded murder brazenly in the streets of New York City, and by this and being celebrated online, it could encourage other people who hold extreme beliefs to basically do the same thing, embolden them to act, inspire a copycat attack. Basically, this is all happening, as we're saying, just the flurry of activity in support of him online, and there's now a threat that the NYPD is encouraging CEOs to kind of increase their security and prepare themselves for what could be an increased threat environment.
Speaker 1: That's terrifying to say the least. So you mentioned in the Unibomber that he may have thought that the Unibomber was sort of a model for him. He had a manifesto of sorts, didn't he He.
Speaker 5: Did have writings, and those writings did kind of criticize the healthcare industry as basically too expensive, too corrupt, and not really helping Americans be healthier. He mentioned how the United States spends the most on healthcare compared to any other country, yet we're ranked number forty two in the world to police sources. He also had a spiral notebook in which he even discussed the possibility of embracing a unibomber's technique using explosives that we ultimately opted against that idea. We also know that he left a review on the Unibomber's manifesto's good Reads page. He called the manifesto interesting and described Kaczynski, who murdered three people and injured dozens, as a political revolutionary.
Speaker 1: Has he admitted to killing Brian Thompson.
Speaker 5: So police are calling his writings and admittance that those writings basically stayed it clear as day, But his lawyer is maintaining his innocence, saying that he could he's seen no evidence that suggests Brian that his client is actually the murderer of Brian Thompson, And though one pushed on GMA this morning about whether or not his client confessed he had a client to answer, sending attorney client privilege, so more to see. We saw a kind of unhinged version of Mangona yesterday as he was being dragged into court. He was shouting at the press that this was quote completely unjust and an insult to the intelligence of the American people.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you had said that he may something happened. Are we knowing if he had a family member or maybe him that was denied care or something like that. Is there some do we know of some sort of a spark that may have kind of small.
Speaker 5: Rolling investigators are actively looking into that possibility that he might have been motivated by a denied insurance claim, for example. One piece of information we did learn yesterday is that he did have a flurry of health issues. We found the Reddit page that we believe is from Mangoni himself, in which you frequently posted about his health issues. He said he had brain fog, he said he had debilitating spinal issues, sciatica kind of a ton of issues. But interestingly enough, in those posts, he doesn't rail against the healthcare industry, he doesn't criticize United Health. In fact, the active encourages other people to get spinal surgeries done, saying how much it improved his quality of life. So there's nothing in there that's a clear motive, and it's kind of confusing people about what might have triggered him over the last six months. We know his friends lost touch with him, his family reported him as missing in California, and that he basically went kind of completely out of touch with all the people who knew him leading up to this incident. So certainly more questions than answers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a lot of answers so far, but there are so many more questions. ABC's Peter Harlumbus, thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks march Any, All right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. The wind driven fire in Malibu has grown to more than three thirty nine hundred or not more than thirty nine hundred almost thirty nine hundred acres. It continues to burn out of control. About two thousand homes and other buildings remain under mandatory evacuation orders. At least seven homes or buildings have been destroyed. About fifteen hundred firefighters are assigned to the fire. The National Weather Service has a particularly Dangerous Situation red flag warning expired yesterday along the Malibu coast, but standard red flag conditions are in place until this afternoon. The fire in Malibu spread so fast many were forced to leave their homes.
Speaker 12: The fire doubled in size and short order overnight, and resident Johnny Constantine, who says he lives on pch says the alert, then the warning and then the evacuation order all came fast too.
Speaker 5: Just beyond guard to start packing, but you ain't got to go yet.
Speaker 2: But then it was like the thirty minutes later the evacuation order, It's.
Speaker 1: Like everybody get out, and then it was like all hell broke loose.
Speaker 12: The Red Cross set up shelters in the area for evacuees, including up the Palisades Rec Center where Constantine went. Another at Pierce College hosted large animals that had to leave home. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: An outgoing mayor in northern California, says if Democrats want to change their fortunes in future national elections, they need to change things up. Sacramento Mayor Darryl Steinberg says they can start by acknowledging that the public educations system is disconnected from the workforce.
Speaker 2: Why can't we teach these core academic subjects in ways that come alive for young people, and then we'll inspire more young people to actually pursue pathways that can include college but may not but connect them to the modern workforce.
Speaker 1: In an opinion piece in The La Times, Steinberg says it's also an important component of any strategy to rebuild an invigorated democratic coalition. New York's Attorney general says she will not drop the civil fraud case against President elect Trump. Letitia James says she is waiting for an appeals court decision that our use presidents are not immune from civil litigation. Trump was found guilty of inflating the value of properties to get more favorable loans. He was ordered to pay four hundred and fifty four million dollars in fines. An appeals court has indicated it is open to reversing the decision against Trump. New Census Bureau data shows a lot of Americans are not prepared for retirement. ABC's Chuck Sievertson says. Investment firm Vanguard says older customers have an average balance of two hundred and forty five thousand dollars, and the median is just eighty eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: About half of Americans between fifty five and sixty six have no retirement savings at all, say Census Bureau data, and women are in worse shape than men.
Speaker 1: That is scary. Experts advise people with little or no nest egg to work longer, to save and invest more, choose lower cost mutual funds, and delay getting Social Security until the age of seventy. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland weather from KFI. Red flag warnings for high fire danger with wind gus up to about forty miles per hour remain in effect until this evening party. Cloudy skies today with highs in the upper sixties at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metro LA and Inland o c. Sixties to mid seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire fifties for the Antelope Valley. Clouds tomorrow with a twenty percent chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the sixties to low seventies. It's fifty four in Anaheim fifty three Redondo Beach, forty seven in Claremont, fifty four in Encino. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.