Speaker 1: Well, whiskey, come and take my pain, the honeys, my ry.
Speaker 2: Oh whiskey.
Speaker 3: Don't why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's Three Whiskey Happy Hour, Join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John You, and the international Woman of Mystery, Lucretia.
Speaker 1: Where they lapped it up it David, Ain't you easy on the should chaps gotta give me?
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone to this really super special edition of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour, because we are on at least two different continents. Steve is in an undisclosed location in Palermo. John is cursing United Airlines because his flight to Naples yesterday was canceled and they won't get him out for another month or so or something like that.
Speaker 5: Right, John, this is the worst travel disruption I've ever had where I was on a tarmac for eleven hours, eleven hours and then they canceled the flight and I couldn't get another flight out for two more days. The writers people should write in have you ever had a worse travel disruption? Eleven hours and then they canceled the flight and you can't get out for two days later?
Speaker 1: I thought the regulations now they couldn't hold you on a plane longer than five hours or something.
Speaker 5: You know what, They brought us back after five hours and then send us back out again.
Speaker 2: Oh god, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the regulatory state wins again.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's just awful.
Speaker 5: But anyway, that meant, that meant I got the pleasure of being in Newark train station at five am. You meet the most culture people in the New York New York train station at five am, and made it to my mom's house in Philadelphia. And I've got to spend two more days with my mom.
Speaker 4: So that's nice to tell your mother that we said.
Speaker 5: Hello, she's your big fan, is you know? In the amongst the eighty year old set, Lucretia has the biggest fan base.
Speaker 2: Oh, they go over.
Speaker 5: They discussed what Lucretia's wearing, how she comes up with her beau malls. They love Lucretia here at my mom's retirement home.
Speaker 4: I do, I do think I have to bring back this was a proud moment of my life when you I believe it was your mom who said that she expected to me me to be some haggardly looking old woman or something like that, and was surprised to find out that I wasn't exactly that. I remember something that was very sweet of.
Speaker 5: Her, because you hit the standards of beauty of the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not even going to take that as an insult, John, because when I look around at the way some young people, well, i'll just leave that one alone. No Lukism today, Well we're probably gonna have Latonism. I hate to say it, but we're going to get started. Because because Steve's got jet lag and a scratchy voice, I decided that what I wanted to talk about today was a sort of big picture or what does Steve called it, a field view or something like that, of the current state of our political parties. And the current state of our political parties is, oh, it's all messed up, because for how long has it been now that the Democrats have been in lockstep about everything? You know, and even when something that doesn't make any sense, like moving from you know, radical feminism to this idea that men should be able to compete in women sports and you know, a woman. I'm not a biologist. I can't tell you what a woman is, and all of that nonsense they'll they'll embrace it because the leftist moves like one of those bee swarms that you know, moves from place to place altogether. Except now, the Democrats, and I'm going to get you guys' thoughts on this and the with the d MC autopsy are are splitting apart. They're they're you know, they're blaming each other. They're pointing fingers at each other. There's the far left, it doesn't know what to do with the middle, that doesn't know what to do with the right, the far left, the center left, and they will compare that to what's going on in the Republican Party. But first, which one of you fellows would like to talk about the d n C autopsy.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll start first, as see if my voice holds out here for an opening comment.
Speaker 2: First of all, it reads.
Speaker 1: Like a rejected script for a money python sketch. The voters have said, you have sold us a dead parrot, and the DNC is saying, no, no, it's just resting.
Speaker 2: There's no problem here.
Speaker 1: The parent's alive, right, I mean, the substance of it is so weak, and you can go down the list of things, and we really can.
Speaker 2: But my favorite aspect of it was. It's rejection.
Speaker 1: Remember they release the report because they thought under pressure, so will put it out. But the DNC chairman, what's his name, Ken Martin, Rod Martin, whatever, his name is, Ken Martin, he he rejected the findings because he said they couldn't be verified, like there's no data for it.
Speaker 2: This reminds me, in other words, the problems.
Speaker 1: Of academic political science, and you know, like the political science John at Berkeley who say you can't study what you can't measure. They don't even use survey numbers showing if they did take what data you could bring the bear on this, which would be surveys of American people saying that, oh yeah, we don't want men and women's sports. It's so called eighty twenty issues of Democrats are on the wrong side of There would be some data, but the author completely avoids it. But finally, I think these autopsies by parties when they lose an election that they thought they.
Speaker 2: Were going to win are stupid.
Speaker 1: You remember the RNC had their autopsy in twenty thirteen after Romney lost and they called.
Speaker 2: It the autopsy.
Speaker 1: Then I think it's just the media calling this new report in autopsy because that's now the way we talk about these postal reports. But the autopsy in twenty thirteen, you remember, said, well, gosh, Republicans are just too mean to Hispanics, and you know, we need to have comprehensive immigration reform to make a country more welcoming.
Speaker 2: And that was blown up two.
Speaker 1: Years later by guess who, right, who discovered that it was popular to enforce immigration law, and whose mean comments about Hispanics seemed not to have a backlatch except with wealthy white liberals. Turned out, a lot of Hispanics who lived here for a long time thought it was just fine, and they kind of agreed with it. So anyway, I'm just sitting back, popping popcorn and enjoying watching the Democrats cut each other up with what's in this report which avoids all the key? Oh, it's just one candidate. Harris didn't attack Trump enough?
Speaker 2: Really, I mean, what are they going to do? I mean they're gonna call him super duper hitler.
Speaker 1: I mean what they did everything somebody said except call out the the legate to drop nuclear weapons on.
Speaker 4: Him, And Harris wasn't Kamalamadingong wasn't supported enough except for the two point two eight billion they spent getting or elected. John, do you have thoughts on this?
Speaker 5: I didn't. First of all, I want to make clear that this is being taped with all three of us simultaneously, and Steve's not going to record something later to respond to all my insults him that he couldn't respond to last week that was dirty pool. That was dirty pool, on my dirty pool, that was dirty pool square. I hope that I insulted you was because you couldn't respond. So I had two thoughts. One is I haven't read the report, but I take it it barely discussed Biden. And you would have thought one major factor in the loss was a terrible performance under Joe Biden, who promised to a return to normalcy and conventional politics after Trump and then weaponized the legal system against Trump. And you know, you look at how did when did Trump start making a recovery and winning, you know, your recovery towards winning the primary. It's when the mar A Lago searched occurred, and when the Biden Justice Department started persecuting Trump for the first time in American history any form or president's been prosecuted, not to mention searched. So that's one. But the second one I want to ask you guys what you think about this idea, which is it also seemed to underscore to me why the Democrypocratic Party is failing, because the whole report still sounds to me like an affirmation and certainly not a rejection of identity politics and right if it just sounds like, oh, I mean, they they And the problem with identity politics is if you base everything identity, then you don't really have a political theory. You don't really have positions that make sense from issue to issue. And so that the leads me to thinking that's why the Democrat Party is still held in lower regard now than the Republican Party, even though the Publican parties have got all these problems. The polling shows people to think little of the Democratic part because it doesn't stand for any values. It just stands for appearance, you know, racial appearance, gender appearance. But that's not a political theory, that's right, that's that's actually just the lowest form of politics, just like vote for me because I look like you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a nice way to put it, I think, John, Actually it's I think it's much more. I think it's I think it's much more insidious than that that they First of all, it is all anti Trump, and it wouldn't matter. You said it last week, whether it's Steve cut it or not, I don't remember, but you.
Speaker 5: Said, of course he got it, he sliced and diced that last episode. I couldn't believe it. I was listening to it. I was like, what was I on this episode? I don't even remember that. I don't remember taping this.
Speaker 4: You said that Trump. I think you said Trump could cure cancer, Trump could do just about anything good, and the Democrats would oppose. I mean that comes out absolutely clearly in the autopsy. That's all we're going to be about. We didn't do it enough last time. Whatever we do this time, it's going to be anti Trump. And they're counting on I think. I think they're absolutely counting on the fact that that gas prices are going to remain high, still lower, still lower than they were during the Biden administration. Let's get that absolutely clear. But you know, the Democrats are harping on it. You even have people on the right harping on it. Oh, you know, we're we're the economy's going to improve just as soon as we surrender in the Iranian war. There are two or three articles like that this morning that I saw. So so the Democrats have nothing, as you put it, they have nothing other than what is a woman? I don't know. I'm not a biologist. Women need to be accepting of men and men's sports and men, by the way, you men need to stop refusing to date transgenders.
Speaker 5: By the way, did you I don't know if for showing the video this podcast, but Steve's truly and Palermo because he just has pretty women walking back and forth and back.
Speaker 4: Of this podcast.
Speaker 2: Did you see I did?
Speaker 5: Did you see?
Speaker 4: Did Steve?
Speaker 2: Steve?
Speaker 5: What happens in Italy when you're there? That's only happened when you were in Vegas?
Speaker 4: Look just tell her what John just said? Really you here? Okay?
Speaker 5: I mean I know that runs is safe for children, but is it safe for Steve?
Speaker 4: Were you all outnumbered when they discussed that or something?
Speaker 2: John ed this episode again?
Speaker 4: Okay? Back wait, so back to because Steve has dinner reservations at a swanky restaurant, so we have to keep this short. And I promised in my would, which means I don't have to stop for ad right, Steve. But at the same time I do want to discuss the juxtaposition of the Democrats disarray can't even sort of seem to the affordability seems to be something that would appeal the voters, but they can't even sort of coal uce around that. On the other hand, despite what John said, is true that the Republicans are in a bit of a bit of disarray, and you know, everybody says they're likely to lose the House, maybe even the Senate, although you keep hearing these little things pop up, maybe not, maybe not between the redistricting and so on. Anyway, Trump had had a good week the last week maybe two. He you know, we saw Kennedy go not John Kennedy, thank god. What's the other Kennedy Cassidy. That's right, Bill Cassidy, Yeah, the doctor Bill Cassidy. We saw Thomas Massey go down because and and primarily because his voters are pro Trump voters, and Massey just made it, for whatever reason, his his goal in life to oppose Trump every way he could. And then of course the Indiana legislature legislators who wouldn't redistrict, you know, so Trump has got this iron grip hold on the Republican Party drives It drives everyone crazy. You know, they can't stand the fact that he's winning. But is the Republican Party united under Trump?
Speaker 5: Let me say something, Steve. I'm sure will not will not agree with this, but I worry that Trump is driving the party too far to the right to do well in the general elections. And it's because of an example you didn't mention, which was his endorsement of Ken Paxton over John Cornyan, which I think is could be a political disaster. You know, we've all spent a lot of time in Austin this last semester, and it seemed to me Cornyan would easily have won the and he votes with Trump, I think over ninety five percent of the time. And instead Trump endorsed a guy who was about to be indicted for insider trading by the Justice Department and was impeached by the Texas House and came within a few votes of the Senate from being removed from office as Attorney General because of his various uh what is it? What did he call the biblical shenanigans? I don't know what the right thing? What the phrase he used? It is divorced papers I mean, this is a deeply flawed Kennedy. What is the point of right, I mean, I get that it's like a more pro mega endorsement, but Paxton is not a good candidate to win. The Republican is going to have to spend one hundred million dollars to keep that seat in Texas, which you could have used instead beat the Nazi in Maine or a lot of or win the seat in against the young unqualified guy in Georgia. Ausof There's so many seats that are in play where that amount of money could make a big difference, and now we're going to have to spend it defending a seat in time. So I get that Trump is trying to control the party more, but it's I don't think it was necessary, and it might be harming the long term prospects of the party for the midterms and for the general elections and the midterms.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: So, first of all, Paxton's problems are not ideological, they're ethical.
Speaker 2: I think that's true, And yeah, I think it's possibly might live.
Speaker 1: But I do think that the thing to do here is to take a long term view, right. I think it's a mistake just to judge the conditions of things, by the prospects of this election, which which may well be tough for Republicans. But I think something very significance happened here in the last couple of weeks. Trump has succeeded where Franklin Roosevelt failed. You remember, Roosevelt in nineteen thirty eight tried to purge the Democratic Party very directly, very openly, of all the conservative Democrats opposed a new deal, and he got his head added to him. All the candidates he opposed with one exception, and he never.
Speaker 2: Did that again.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing to keep in mind is something that Michael Barrown pointed out years ago, which was, you know, everyone always likes to say, gosh, what comes after Trump?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You know, people who have tried to run like Trump have a mixed record at best. And I think that's the wrong way of thinking about it, because the same thing was said about Franklin Roosevelt was God, you know, Harry Truman is no great successor to him, and there's no more Roosevelt than a round. But Michael Barron points out that Roosevelt did, in the long run, succeed in changing the Democratic Party into a fully liberal party. And that's why Barne says the high tide of the New Deal coalition was in the late nineteen fifties, and he's got all the usual Michael Barone type evidence for that. And I think that's what you're seeing here by ousting all those stors the state senators in Indiana, by defeating Massey, who, by the way, I mean, he does seem to, among other problems, have that that libertarian tendency to become increasingly vocally anti Israel and anti Semitic, and that's one reason I'm glad he lost. In any case, I actually think that Trump is transforming to Republican Party in ways that will outlast him.
Speaker 2: And so I think, oh.
Speaker 1: And then last point, this election may go badly, but I think you guys have seen the numbers. When the next census is done, you're going to have something like ten or twelve House seats, an electoral vote shift from blue states to red states. It's going to mean it's that much harder for Democrats to win the presidency even with these close elections we've been having, and almost impossible to win the House of Representatives. So the long term prospects for the party are actually really good, and so this is just going to be a tough year. And I think you take your lumps when.
Speaker 2: You have to take them.
Speaker 4: Can I offer quickly an alternative view back to Paxton for a moment. I am not as convinced as you guys that Paxton will lose. Remember I said it before on this podcast that Cornyn Cornyn had to spend a fortune a fortune in order to beat him by what a percentage point? I forget it was very, very close between Cornyn and Paxston number one. And I'm not as convinced as you guys that it's going to be that bad of a year. I do think a lot of it's going to depend upon whether Trump can get some kind of resolution to the Iran war, get the economy back on track. We've got some time to go, and if he has all of these better in his view or probably my view as well, Republican candidates. You know, you're the only John out of the famous Johns that I actually like. I told you guys, John Thune, John Burrazzo, John John Cornyan. Ugh, I hate them all, but anyway, but I'm trying not to let my personal feelings obscure the analysis. I'm coming Acro. I think I think Paxton has a very good chance of winning. If you've got a choice between voting for the guy who thinks that there are six genders and that God is binary non binary, and is a vegetarian in Texas or a vegan in texts. Come on, there's no way in Austin. I promise to you. Tallerico will win Austin. But there are other parts of Texas. That being said, back to what you were saying about his ethical problems, which brings me to what my next discussion was going to be. We've got some some crazy things going on in elections. Let's start with Mayine because you mentioned Maine. So this guy, Graham Platner, Nazi excuse me, sorry, family show, masturbates and porta potties because the smell it excites him.
Speaker 2: I think has missed this news.
Speaker 4: I hope.
Speaker 5: So I'm sorry. I don't mean you want to know what you're talking about. I know it's too I don't want to hear it. I don't want to know.
Speaker 4: The guy's just a pig, there's no way around it. He's just I mean, all of his Instagram postings, you know, it's all been erased, but the Internet's forever. He's just a vile human being. And there was an article, a puff piece about him in Time magazine this morning. I have to talk about this because I've owned three labs in my life. So she tries to make it sound like he's such a tough guy because his black labrador tries to take a wrapped breakfast sandwich off the table, and supposedly Platner sticks his hand in the dog's mouth to take it out, so you can't have that, you know, lots of profanity. You can't have that. It's it's not great for you. And then supposedly Platner keeps talking all the time while his hand is bleeding. There is no way on earth that there is any truth to that story. I'm sorry, no either, that the guy is such a horrible person that he's turned his black labs into something like Biden's German shepherds, because I could stick my hand in the mouth of my German shepherd if he had something in his mouth he shouldn't have, and I would not even get so much as a scratch. And you a lab no way anyway, sir. Sorry, that just made me so angry when I read it. It got me off on the wrong foot to start this morning. Back to Platner, though he's a terrible candidate, but he pushed Janet Mills, who is, in fact, you know, the sort of quintessential establishment democrat, out of the race. I know, Vermont's a crazy place and they're all whatever, same difference, same difference, But that's what I meant. So there's that. So the ethical problems of Ken Paxton compared to the genuine personality problems and character problems of Platiner don't even come close if you ask me number one. Then we move over to the other disruptor in uh in American politics right now, and that's Spencer Spencer Pratt. So but my point is back to tie that back to Ken Paxton, is that it does, in fact seem that somebody who sort of out Trump's Trump being a complete disruptor, complete refusal to play politics by the usual rules, that those people are actually gaining some sort of small part of winning elections. I don't know exactly how to say it.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think, Well, Alens is going to win that race in Maine.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, it's just I'm enjoining a hypocrisy of Democrats in the media saying the okay sign is a Nazi symbol and you know what I.
Speaker 2: Must is a Nazi because he did. You know, he suck us on our strength And now Platner's.
Speaker 1: Got the actual tattoo and Okay, enough of that nonsense.
Speaker 2: The Spencer pract thing is fun. My favorite part of this is.
Speaker 1: The fact that a lot of these viral ads you've been seeing are not being produced by his campaign, being produced independently. This is going to drive the political regulators out of their freaking mind right because they're gonna, wait, We've got to regulate this. They gotta you know, what are people spending? And uh and and I don't know how they're gonna deal with all that. I'm gonna ask my election lawyer.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, why don't you get Allison on to tell us how you might actually stop those those AI gurus that are making those amazing films, those AI films, how they can be regulated if and they don't cost very much money. You've seen, you guys have seen a couple of AI generated historical films I've made for my students, and they cost me nothing. You know, if you've got the if you've got the software. So that's that, in and of its elf, is going to have a huge impact because people I was thinking about the whole what's his name? The guy who just had his last show of Staying There And I've never seen that show. Why I don't have regular television, I haven't in twenty years, and I do have the Internet, and I do see things on the Internet, and I'm old. Imagine what it's like for anybody younger than me. Uh there, you know, So they're gonna see Prince Spencer Pratt and they're not going to see five million of the same commercials that come on every two minutes on a on a television show anymore. So it's not going to work. And it's much cheaper.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, Well see I thought that two or three weeks ago. I thought Pratt was unlikely to win, and I've changed my mind.
Speaker 2: I think he is going to win.
Speaker 1: Partly it is because Mayor Bass is so dreadful and the progressive alternative turns out to be pretty lame as well. But also this has the vibe in my mind of the night eighteen ninety eight Minnesota governor's race when Jesse Ventura ran as.
Speaker 2: An independent and everyone thought it was a joke.
Speaker 1: And you had the two major party candidates sniping at each other, and the voters of Minnesota just said the heck with these guys.
Speaker 2: I'm tired of them, or for.
Speaker 1: Jesse Ventura, and he and Jesse Ventura didn't have social media. That was before it all started, right, Well, yeah, sure, and he was allowsy governor, but still this has that vibe to me, I think, and you know, I'm kind of I don't know Rick Caruso, but there was always talk that he was either going to run for governor or run for Merrigan, and they did neither one, and he kind of froze the field for both both races, I think, and I think that was unfortunate, but you know, opportunity for Pratt and I.
Speaker 2: Think he's going to win.
Speaker 5: I don't know if Pratt's going to win, but it made me think about the state of California politics, because it's incredible that Bass is still in first.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Part of the city burnt down, Yeah, in part due to the lack of spending on uh the d right. They're spending a lot more attension on DEI programs in the LA fire Department than on fire prevention. We know all the stories with the lack of water and the reservoirs and the mayor being off at some wedding in Africa, and on and on, and yet she's still in first. That's an incredible thing and so to me, But what maybe, And so I was wondering, what does it take for a Republican candidate to break through? And maybe the secret is to just lampoon them, right, lampoon the establishment, lampoon Democrats, because when we do, when we make when we run campaigns with serious candidates on serious platforms, it doesn't make a dent. Right then we're probably going to one state wide office in so long. Maybe the way to reach younger voters is to ridicule the Democratic establishment and to mock how they've destroyed the state. And maybe that's maybe that's what practice shows, is that you can't win in California in this one party state with What it reminds me about is like the way the the dissidents in Eastern Europe and communism right would had to conduct themselves because of the oppressiveness of the political system. But I'm not sure Pratt's going to win. But even if he comes in a good second, that's going to make a difference, I think in turning the state around, if it's possible to turn it around.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I don't think. I don't think Bass is really in the lead.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know there's some polls showing that, but mayor's races, especially in California, are very hard to pull, and this race in particular because one problem with La but also Philadelphia, your hometown, is that recent mayors races have had really low turnout. I think Philadelphia the last couple of races of an under twenty percent turnout of eligible voters, and I think this is going to see much higher turnout. I think the posters are now having a hard time figuring out what's the electric going to be?
Speaker 2: And I think the electric is going to be bigger. And oh, there's your neighbor.
Speaker 5: Showed up another Lucretia Fann interruption.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Wait, you know he said he loved he loves the show.
Speaker 4: That's nice. Uh So, I yeah, I don't know if he's gonna win either. What Steve says makes a lot of sense. But I read an article the other day, John, I wish I could remember it was a good article. I wish I remember who wrote it said very much the same thing that that, you know, voters in California know how corrupt and incompetent and ideologically driven the Democratic Party is, from the governor on down. They know that they're that. You know, think about when Gavin Newsoen won re election after after the whole uh scandal with the party at the famous restaurant, and you know when everybody else, yes, the French laundry, everybody else was. I was in California a couple of times then to visit my daughter, and it was so locked down and ridiculous. It was, I mean, it was unbelievable the things that he was imposing on people, and on and on and on. And he's still won. Why because voters in California go and, oh, yeah, I know this guy is incompetent. I know this guy's an ideological hack. I know that it's gonna just get worse. I know he's gonna richest friends, but they vote for him anyway because there's no option. And what you said, John, is that the brilliance of Spencer Pratt is that he's not just going with the same old, tired this is what's wrong with Karen Bass. This is what's wrong with He's he's mocking them. He's mocking them in a way that most of it's true, first of all, but it's all hilarious and funny, and you know, like you say, they look like East East European communists who are just you know, the whole thing with Gavin Newsome and you know, eating cake and frosting all over his cake at face and it was brilliant. And again, millions and millions and millions of you it's not we don't know how many of those are by Los Angeleans, but millions and millions of views of those AI generated videos. Some of them have to be making their way back to people who live in la I would think who might go out and vote and hadn't in the past for mayor, you know, Steve, maybe you're right about that. I don't, you know, it's hard to say so anyway, politics are crazy. If if it turns out that Spencer Pratt's new way of doing politics becomes the norm, all of Allison's former colleagues are going to be out of business because it won't take that much money, and all those political consultants that get paid so much money to help Kamala ding Dong lose, they'll be out of business too, right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean I think there's just a new generation of what has worked in the past. So I think the three I mentioned Jesse e Van Turna. But in terms of having a funny attack on people, three great models of this I think were Believe.
Speaker 2: It or not.
Speaker 1: Mitch McConnell in nineteen eighty four had a TV ad series A Blank of the State with and it was a bloodhound trying to find the Democratic incumbent d Huddleston Where is he?
Speaker 2: Right? They couldn't find him because he was kind of old and doddering.
Speaker 1: The other one was actually Paul Wellstone in Minnesota, a college professor, very very liberal, right, and I forget.
Speaker 2: His ad campaign, but it was him started running around.
Speaker 1: People laughed at it and it gave him a big name ID and the vibe caught on, right.
Speaker 2: And it's a third example, but now I'm blanking on it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but it's more than just funny. It's funny's good.
Speaker 1: And mocking his lands, right it Yeah, it made but it's also that A third one. It was Malcolm Wallap in nineteen seventy four whenever it was and in Wyoming, right, which remember the Mountain West states still elected Democrats.
Speaker 2: Often in those years into the seventies. And his was just a shot of the.
Speaker 1: Open plane in Wyoming and eastern Wyoming, and the voice over comes on and says new Osha regulations say all workers have to have a toilet within you know, twenty feet of their workplace or something like that.
Speaker 2: The next thing you see.
Speaker 1: Is a cowboy going across the screen with a toilet stapp of the side of his dog, of his horse.
Speaker 2: And that brought roll about him nowhere any one.
Speaker 1: And of course he was very solid guy, so that was another legendary one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Again, I think humor is always a good thing, but this is a little bit different, and it's it's, you know, it's sort of in your face. That the kind of thing that reaches the younger generation who don't necessarily pay attention to the things you're talking about in traditional ways. That's my thought. Anyway, John has some breaking news for us, and we apologize we don't know very much about it, but he's never far away from his Wall Street Journal feed. So breaking news, John tell us what it is.
Speaker 5: Harvey Mansfield's retiring. Oh no, wrong breaking.
Speaker 2: News, wrong breaking news. That was a while ago.
Speaker 5: I know, I'm just kidding, because we were originally going to talk about Harvey Mansfield and his book and his article he posted a new Criterion. But the Wall Street Journal during our podcast came across with an alert that Tulsi Gabbard is going to be resigning, and it says it's for personal reasons. It says her husband has cancer. But I do think it also reflects a major shift in the administration away from the isolationist wing. That not that it came in with, but that some of the personnel that Trump came with who held this view slowly departing, and Tulsi might have been the most highly placed person who held that view. She clearly was not, I think, not in sync with the President about his foreign policy. I think famously, she was on vacation posting pictures of herself at the beach I think in Hawaii, while the Venezuela right snatch and grab operation was a curing which you would think heavily involved intelligence, and we've barely seen a peep of her during the Iran War, again, another area where intelligence would be extremely important, and instead we see I think more of John Ratcliffe's CIA director rather than his boss had their Director of National Intelligence, Tulcy Gabbert. So maybe this means that again I don't mean to provoke, but I do mean to I mean, but I do mean to throw this out there that Donald Trump is the greatest new conservative president of the twenty first century. That's gone after the great enemy of new Conservativism, which was Iran. That's something even Bush and Cheney were unwilling to do. And look who's gone and done it, Donald Trump. I actually thought you disagree with him or gone to the wayside.
Speaker 4: I actually thought what you were going to say is that from the very beginning you have been a huge fan of John Ratcliffe and not a very big fan of Tulsa Gabbert. So who do you think will take over as D And I.
Speaker 5: Well, I actually wish that they would correct this over bureaucritization of intelligence and just combined the jobs again in the CIA director. The short Bercrack history was the CIA director was considered the head of the whole intelligence community. After nine to eleven, I thought this was one of the reforms that this actually didn't come back because of nine to eleven. This came about because of the failure defined WND in Iraq. And actually my old boss, Larry Silberman was chaired this thing called the Soberman rob Commission, and they proposed having someone do this function of coordinating all the intelligence agencies because the CIA director was basically they thought loyal to the CIA, and the CIA's intelligence failures had led to the failure in Iraq. I have to say I disagree with my old mentor about this, especially now that he's died. I can disagree, yeah, but at the time I disagreed, like this is just a classic example where the there's a failure and the answer they establish it creates is to create another layer of government and a new agency. I thought that was a mistake and rather so maybe Trump could well, Now, what Trump's going to want to do is to give the job to Mark Rubio because he does all the jobs. But I think the better thing to do would be to recombine it with the SAI director and make John Ratcliffe the National Intelligence Director two. I think that would start to cure this over And let me also say one last thing about this is maybe this has something to do with the abuse of intelligence against President Trump and the Russia hoax. Because you have so many layers of bureaucracy and the intelligence communee, so many players, this just creates another one. It's possible, with all that chaos for people to get away with abusing the powers of intelligence and using it for political purposes, not controlling it better.
Speaker 4: So I do have a question about that, and I'm not this is a devil's advocate question more than anything. Part of the reason for creating the DNI to be overall eighteen civilian and military agencies, that's the issue and why they believed they needed to create yet a one hire who would not be either civilian or military, who could actually have the respect whatever it would be the august nature to be able to force military intelligence agencies to work with the civilian agencies. And then one last thing about that, again, I'm sort of just throwing this out there. It's not necessarily what I believe or don't believe that the CIA is technically by law forbidden from engaging in any kind of domestic spying domestic activities, and so to put all of those other agencies, including you know, launch enforcement, domestic law enforcement agencies like the FBI and so forth under the CIA does not create a problem in your opinion.
Speaker 5: I don't know Steve has thoughts on this, but this is a deep problem. I hate to bring this a question of administrative law about whether to have single agencies in charge of the whole subject or to have multiple small agencies. I like the latter because it reminds me of competition in the market. So I like having eighteen intelligence agencies, none better than the other, all competing with their own sources. And I'm not sure it was a good idea to create the Defense Department and fold in, you know, the army and the neighbor Right, that's the original if you go back historically, there's a lot of work on this. Now. That was the original consolidation was creating the Department of Defense and merging the Department of Wars right in the Nationalnational Security Act.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And then it went even far. They were the creation of the Joint Chiefs, Lucretia's favorite institution right, which again also tried to right force centralization on the military services rather than letting them compete with each other. To persuade the president about the right policy. I've always favored the idea of having more competition, less powerful, but more more and then you know, think about that's actually what happens with law enforcement, which I think runs pretty well. We have atf and we have the FBI, and we have the Secret Service. I'd rather have them all fighting each other because from that you get liberty, I think, rather than one giant central law enforcement power. That kind of worries me. And I think it's true of intelligence too well.
Speaker 4: Don't you also get the silo effect and all those other things where they don't share information. That was the whole point of the DNI, right that we would now share. We would not have these agencies sharing information, you wouldn't have another nine to eleven.
Speaker 5: You uttered to share the information amongst the competitors rather than to force it from the top down. So the problem really was after nine to eleven was not the failure to collect the intelligence. It was a failure of analysis, right, And that's always a problem with these surprises, is that you actually turn out you find that you did have the intelligence in the system, but you didn't have enough people thought outside the box really to pick up the patterns. That's also a classic neo con analysis about the pearl Harbor attack.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: This was the Missus Wolfstutter's famous book, not mister Wolster, but Missus Wollstetter's famous book about why Pearl Harbor succeeded was that you didn't have enough, you know, outside the back animal analysts looking at the intelligence we already had about what the Japanese were up to. So I'm not sure imposing it from the top down is the way to defeat this problem of silos. You know, back of nine to eleven, we immediately discovered we had intelligence about four of the hot jackers being in the country, but the CIA and the FBI were not sharing intelligence at the ground level. I think if you'd had a D and I think you weren't. Yeah, that's so if you D and I, I don't know that would have made a difference back then. I don't know if having a D and I at the time of the Iraq invasion would have caused us to make the right you know, to make the right decisions about the intelligence about W and D. Then either it might have just slowed every it made anything, might have made things worse. It seems to me since then I.
Speaker 1: Always thought that, uh, the CIA has got lots of problems and lots of rot in it. And so yeah, I like the competition too, and I I remain well of the view that uh, Trump's appointment of Gavard was actually a shrewd move because it it would recreate some competition and disagreement on faction the administration in the same way the Reagan deliberately did that, right, you know, he had Bill Casey and who Bobby.
Speaker 2: Ray Inman but wasn't Inman running the NSA.
Speaker 1: Inman and Casey hated each other, right, and Reagan always liked those biberlies, you know, Chelton of Weinberg, are always at each other's throats. And Rage said, no, I don't want them to agree, I want them to disagree. And so I thought that Trump, you know, it says Trump values loyalty above all else, and that's probably true in the ordinary sense, but I thought that was true to having uh, you know, Rubio, who's I you know, obviously got some Neocon sympathies at least in his past. Uh And Ratcliffe, I don't, I don't have a I don't really have a view of that guy. But Dulster's Gabbard's a known person. I think the thing to watch is is some of the senior staff under her now going to be shown the door or they be leaving with her? Because I do know that some of the most fervent isolationists are working for her in the White House approved their appointments right here. There's some of the Pentagon also, but it seems less so to meet. I think people attack Elbridge Colby, and I don't think that that attack is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. I know people who say that, I just want to.
Speaker 1: True, but but it is true if some of the people gathered high high and I know.
Speaker 5: Remember there's that guy Krabs who resigned at the start of the Iranian War saying that, I mean basically repeating the most far left attacks on Trump about the Iranian War. That was her deputy.
Speaker 4: So that while you're on that point, Steve, that does Trump then need to be concerned about the fact that if if Gabbard leaves and all of those people leave with him, that he will further alienate that part of his base that is somewhat isolationist. I mean, is that a danger if he doesn't put somebody in who's who continues to speak the Joe Kent line. Shall we say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I don't. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, the polls show that Trump's got overwhelming support from Republicans on the Iran war. I don't think this has hurting very much of his base at all. I think I think what hurts him is the economic fallout from it. That I think we'll have to see how it all goes. But no, so I don't think it needs to find another person like that to be as a constituency at all.
Speaker 4: So if let me one last question on this, and then we've got to get start getting out of here. You said that you don't necessarily trust the CIA. John hinted at that as well. Why would you then want to put the CIA director John as the over the sort of overarching person over these military excuse me, these intelligence agencies, over the intelligence community as we intelligence community will speak of it.
Speaker 5: Oh, you you know, you fancy people like Lucretian You actually just call the IC. That's when you know you're really in the tent, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 5: Listeners will want to discuss heavily in the comments how long Lucretia has been in the CIA, and why would you point an agent who is so high profile and so obviously a CIA agent. But that's a double trick, isn't it. Actually I have to say one thing about CIA agents i've met, you know, people in the Directorate of Operations, you know, the actual field people, is that they are supposed to be uh, you know, just so bland and boring. You wouldn't be able to remember them and describe them after right, And it's been true. The ones I've met are sort of bland and boring and would just sort of fit so, Lucretie, you really couldn't be a CIA agent unless you're trying to infiltrate the very highest levels of the Straussian order, where your very distinctiveness and brightness would make you one of the best Trousian ideas of a leader. I still have to say a lot of minute, John, you knew I was going to throw in an attack on Straussian's by the end of the show. Come on.
Speaker 1: What I want to pick up on, John is when when you say the field agents are supposed to be boring and you know, playing Vanilla.
Speaker 2: Didn't you ever be Little Mark correct? Yeah with that description?
Speaker 4: Right, and so so that was true up until the Biden administration. And one of the things that the Biden administration did this is this is interesting? Is they just the and this was under the d n I what's her name, Avril Haynes. They very much wanted diversity, uh in the in the intelligence community. But you're I've talked about this before a long time ago. The c I A ran a series of ads with this woman, Stephanie something or other. Uh I met, Yeah, and she was uh, Hispanic immigrant, uh, mentally unstable self admittedly mentally unstable, took a single mom, took medications for anxiety and other kinds of and she was in fact the perfect c I A CIA agent for the Biden administration.
Speaker 5: Pardon really, this was an actual CIA recruiting Yeah, the CIA shouldn't be running pr ads campaigns and recruiting publicly in the first place. But this was their model age a model.
Speaker 4: And she she would go out and do she would go to these different things at universities and do recruiting events and prove that because she was, you know, not smart, not all these other things, but she was in fact, mentally what did they call it, divergent, mentally divergent, You're divergent, that's it. That she was the perfect CIA agent sorry, go ahead, Steve.
Speaker 5: I used to use for crazy, right.
Speaker 2: I want to bait John again.
Speaker 1: I think the CIA it's been all downhill since they cash here James Jesus Angleton back in the seventies, I knew that would horrify you.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, I knew, I knew.
Speaker 2: I get that reaction.
Speaker 5: Very good. That's had some great successes, but we have to have a CIA. Really, Okay, you're not like that guy who said gentlemen don't open each other's mail, are you, Stimpson? Let me get back to unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Let me get back to the opening question, which is, why would you trust uh Ratcliffe.
Speaker 2: Only if he's trustworthy?
Speaker 1: I mean again, my model here was Bill Casey under Reagan, and Reagan.
Speaker 2: Loved him, trusted him. But what about Casey? Now he knew what was wrong with the CIA.
Speaker 1: And there's a very famous story I think Michael Ledeen told me because by the way, you know Casey, he moved the whole separate office down into Rossland to be closer to the White House, but also out of Langley so he could have you know, he brought trusted people there, a whole separate CIA within a CIA, and I think Michael Ledeen was in talking to him one day and had some idea that somebody had for one of the other foreign intelligence services, and Casey.
Speaker 2: Said, that's a great idea.
Speaker 6: Don't let the CIA hear about it. So if Blacklip is that kind of guy, it doesn't actually matter how the organizational chart works. If Trump has confidence in him, that's what you want.
Speaker 5: He's a good guy. I think you, Yeah, you want someone who doesn't. I think that the way I think of it as a difference between Powell and Rumsfeld. Powell thought his job was to represent the bureaucracy, and if you had someone like that as head directors, say, that would be a disaster. Ramsfeld treated the bureaucracy as an adversary. It's something to be beaten in the forum, right, which then with someone if that's Ratcliffe, which I get the sense of that's more his character, then that's the person you do want in charge of the.
Speaker 4: Quiet and behind the scenes. Yes, all of those I agree with you about that, but that that does worry me in the future. Okay, Steve's you know what can I say? Steve is good has I don't want to make him late for a swanky thing, but I do have. I'm not going to call it a new feature. But before I move directly into the Babylon Bees, I'm going to just mention something. First of all, Steve managed his three historical analogies, so we're okay there. He has not mentioned Sidney Sweeney and I won't. Oh, I just did. But we also are supposed to be committed to some discussion of the Declaration of Independence, which we were going to do, but because we had to have a slightly shorter format today, we didn't get to because our discussion of Harvey Mansfield's peace on the Declaration was We're going to do that. But I got a short one on MSNBC the other day. Katie Tour asked, is that how you say your name? Kat I have never seen it, He's asked with sincerity. She says, what about this passage from Mike Johnson declaring that our rights do not derive from government, they come from our creator? Is this putting him? Is this him putting God above the Declaration of Independence?
Speaker 1: It's MS now whatever, whatever, whatever, whatever, Okay, Sorry, bab I hope you guys are ready.
Speaker 4: Babylon Be's I'm gonna follow on Abigail Adams starting to believe husband made up this whole Continental Congress thing as an excuse just to hang out with the boys.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I thought that was Nathan. Nathan Nation looks forward to not watching Stephen Colbert one last time. That's me. I've never once seen that show. But goodbye. Don't let the door hit your and way out. Hunter Biden's reputation in ruins. After talking to Candice Owens, that's funny. Come on, okay for your California guys couple, Zillow adds new feature for California homes showing whether they are currently on fire.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's I.
Speaker 4: Know, it's not funny. White smoke rises from Los Angeles, signaling Karen bass is still mayor. You had to put those two together, and then finally it's a picture of Karen Boughs and the Spencer. Pratt said. New polls show dead heat between make Everything Worse candidate and Fix Everything candidate. Yeah, Massy defeats a. Massy blames defeat on Jews of rural Kentucky. I finally didn't talk about it, but you'll get you'll get the reference. UK authorities issue stern warning to British people to stop being stabbed by Muslims.
Speaker 1: But by the way, there actually is a thriving Jewish community in Louisville, Kentucky, so that you know.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure the Bee knows that, right. It's not funny where you find but.
Speaker 4: It probably is not a majority.
Speaker 2: Well it's not in his district, so which is somewhere else?
Speaker 4: But yeah, okay, I'm finished.
Speaker 5: John, Okay, always drink your whiskey, knee, buy more books, and Steve are sign off tonight.
Speaker 1: We're going to bed the previous sign off, which is I will see you both next week in Italy and listeners will see us then too.
Speaker 2: Ricochet join the conversation.