Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bubo.
Speaker 2: These guys, are you fav It's so like say subscribe and raid it?
Speaker 3: Five stock and.
Speaker 4: Greatest question today listening.
Speaker 5: Oh watchy limb always keep its watching.
Speaker 2: And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 3: Greetings, bobes. How you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: Oh good? How's going not so bad?
Speaker 4: Not so bad.
Speaker 3: Finally got out to the woods again, looking at that. That's looking good. Weird tree breaks, super weird things are happening. Local stories are starting to trickle in. There's always something going on, man, always something going on. So kind of exciting.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm pretty stoked.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I needed to walk around in the woods. I needed to clear my head. I needed to get my eyes on the ground looking for footprints. Found a possible fourteen inch print one of our local spots last week, and then this week found some other possible thing. Nothing you can hang your hat on. Nothing you can hang your hat. But still, it's good to be out in the woods, man. And the weather's changing. We got spring. Now, we got the good weather looking at us for the next six or eight months. Some sunlight, yeah, sunlight has been beautiful and blue Skies lately and got a great friend on the podcast today. Everything's going good man, Everything's coming up, Cliff from Bobo, what about you, man.
Speaker 2: I'm working with this new Well, no, he's a kid I was working with before, but the kid that's in the big Foot at school. Yeah, and he's obsessed with mountain monsters. So I was going to give a called a wild Bill like the city talked to him for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Bill will sign some autographs or something for him too. You know. I'm going to see those guys in April. I'm doing that gig out in Colorado and ESS's Park in April.
Speaker 2: They're going to Yeah, yeah, awesome, that's great.
Speaker 3: I think Berea is there and the Mountain Monster folks and I'm going to be and if there's anybody else, I don't know, because I haven't seen the fly or anything. I don't know. I don't know what's going on. I just you know, sign a contract and I show up and smile and stuff, you know, and shake babies and do that sort of thing. But I'll try to maybe grab a couple of autographs from those guys if I remember.
Speaker 2: Oh cool who spiked cliff coffee today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, dude, I'm stoked. You know where I am right now? Where I'm First of all, I'm in Sandy, Oregon. That's one part, and that is my hometown, or at least that's the town I live in. I choose to live in. But I am sitting in the record and I'm not sitting in the record shop. I'm sitting in a record shop in Sandy, which is probably one of the best vinyl shops, like certainly locally. I mean, I'm sure there's things like a Miba record and all that sort of stuff, like the Giant warehouse sort of things, but as far as a local little shop, I'm sitting in there now with the lovely and talented Scott mint On, often referred to as Minty Fresh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, that shop spright when you're going north, like if you're heading up towards the mountain, it's on the right hand side on that one way street. Right.
Speaker 3: That is absolutely correct. It's a skateboard shop, skateboard museum, and vinyl record shop all in one.
Speaker 2: That place is killer in there.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting here right now, so how could I not be excited right, and by the way, here he is, Scott. Thanks for coming on, man, I really really, really really appreciate It's been a long time that we've been trying to get you on the shop, the show here.
Speaker 4: I'm super excited to be here. Thanks for being persistent. You've been asking me for four or five years now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a long time.
Speaker 4: I just haven't been able to make time or for three hundred episodes or so. I don't know how how long it's actually you guys have been doing this. Feels like forever.
Speaker 3: It does feel like forever.
Speaker 4: What's up, Boves. It's good to see you, buddy, good to hear you. I know what you look like. Your images burnt into my visage so well.
Speaker 3: You know, we didn't we didn't bring Scott on to talk about the record shop or the skateboarding shop and all the way up that really should be spoken about a little bit, I think, because there's a new skate park here in Sandy and there's a lot of cool things going on here. But we brought them on because Scott has been a Bigfooter for a very very long time. And besides that, he's like most of my friends, he's an unusual weirdo.
Speaker 2: Right, he's a usual weirdo.
Speaker 3: He's the usual weirdo, and he's had some pretty crazy encounters, some of which have been recorded that we're going to play for you guys here, but I guess we should start at the beginning, like how the hell do we know you man? Because Bobo, when I met you, I think at the same time, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I met you guys within like twenty four hours, and I was thinking about that today. I had to dig in my boxes of notes. Luckily I'm a hoarder, and I just heard the good stuff art and memories and things. And it was two thousand and eight and I went on the Mendocino BFRO expedition, which at the time was just a Northern California expedition, and uh, yeah, you guys ended up being there, and uh I found out after you know, driving eleven hours or so to go to this really secluded place. It was like a treasure hunt, and ended up meeting all you guys. And then at the end of the trip, we're kind of, you know, saying goodbye, like hey, yeah, you know, where are you going. I'm like, oh, I gotta drive. I got to drive, like eleven hours and you're like Cliff, you were like, yeah, I gotta drive eleven hours too. I'm like, cool, Yeah, I gotta drive all the way back to LA. You're like, I got to drive back to LA. I was like, cool, I got to drive back to Long Beach and You're like, I got to drive back to Long Beach. I was like, wait a minute, I got to drive back to I can't remember our neighborhood, but I was like Fourth Avenue or yeah, Fourth and Zmo. Yeah, like I got to drive to Fourth and zm Ando and we lived on the same street about a block from each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was just I was like, I guess we're friends now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're friends still. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was so easy. I was all I had to do is just follow the Treasure map to your friendship. And Bobo's too. You guys made a very cool entrance, and I remember I think you know whord got through the camp, like I Bobo came and I like, at that time, I was interested in Bigfoot before I knew about the BFRO, but I didn't like reach out to people, and you guys were kind of the first people I somehow discovered, like on that early I feel like early days of Internet's the wrong thing to say, but it really does feel like we were like using dial up and stuff, and it was just it felt like very ancient now. But you know, I didn't know that there were people who, like, you know, kind of spent as much time doing this stuffs as all of you guys do. And therefore I didn't know that there were people that were like popular or quasi celebrity and big footing and not the you know, that's probably the wrong term, but like Bobo has a story that precedes him, you know, So like I heard who is that guy? And uh, I just remember, like I'm gonna go meet him. And I got so excited, and I drove down from wherever I was down to this camp and we I think we had the whole campsite be cause we were, you know, we were the first people into this valley. Like I went flying down there and I like parked my car and jumped out and I'm like, oh, hey, what's up, man, And You're like I don't know what's up. And you're just standing there and I'm like, damn, you're tall, and you're like, let me give you a little advice. When you're driving through a campsite, but want to take it a little slower.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you dusted us out.
Speaker 4: Yeah I did. I totally did. But I needed to learn that lesson. It was great. I was like, okay, cool, yeah, oh yeah, it's not all about me. Let me, let me take a step back. But I think it was a great way to meet you because you're like, obviously you're you, you got a great heart, and uh, it's a good time police. Yeah, definitely. And after I talked to you for five minutes, I'm like, oh, I'll be friends with it did probably forever, and it was It was just great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bobo is in fact a good time police. As long as everybody, and I mean everybody is having a good time, nobody gets their ass kicked. But if somebody pulls things sideways, you know, or makes somebody else bum out, or you know whatever, Bobo's gonna have some words and it may come to blows. I've seen that happen before, man, So Bobo is in fact a good time police. So you got luckily, you're a lovely person, Scott.
Speaker 4: I got a citation, I got I got a warning warning.
Speaker 3: Well, let let's talk about that. Expedition, because when I look back at that expedition, I know that we're in California, and I know that we're on a reservation. It's something like right outside the reds I don't remember which I remember almost nothing else about it. What was Derek Randall's there?
Speaker 4: He might have been.
Speaker 3: I can remember a big, old white truck and I thought that was Derek's or something, so I met him. I believe that was the year that Bobo and I were. We spent what seven weeks or ten fourteen weeks together or something.
Speaker 2: Ten.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's got ten weeks there you go. Yeah, we were everywhere from the the California Sierra Is, all the way of the British Columbia and everywhere in between. That's when I met Mike Green. That's when I met Derek Randalls. That's where I met a bunch of people that I'm still in contact with today. Wonderful people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wonderful and uh, Bart, of course you and Matt. You know, it was my first Matt interaction.
Speaker 2: Tell us, tell us about give us a good buddymaker story, man.
Speaker 4: I to this day, I'm still amazed at the amount of energy that Matt brings to everything that he does and like big footing, particularly in the BFRO O, and just like that level of sincerity and care that he has about all this stuff is like amazing, and that comes across all the time. Like when you see Matt at eight in the morning, where you see Matt in the middle of ves some action or whatever, he's he's one hundred percent there, and I feel like that's he says exactly what he thinks. He has like no filter, and I to appreciate that in people because it's pretty honest. And it's like, man, I'd rather know exactly what you think than I think you mean something else and find it out later. You know, it's just that sincerity. And I'm a high energy person. Matt's hg energy person. So I was like, this dude's cool. And uh, he'd like set up the treasure hunt, you know what I mean, Like he he made the flats or whatever, you know, his his BFRO brainchild. It was pretty cool. But then like I didn't realize I could like be a part of that, and like I could go look for monsters. I don't just have to read about him in a book. Like that's kind of cool. And then like I said, I was thinking through papers and I found I applied to be in the BFRO with like a business letter.
Speaker 6: He has a letter here, he has like these binders of BFRO stuff, and like, here's his. He's gonna read the letter that he applied to the BFRO. Make sure you see the date that we wanted, the date on that one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, So, dear Matt, it was a pleasure to attend the Menacino Expedition May one through four. As promised, I am returning the SD card that I used to record on one night of the night missions. Unfortunately, aside from a snap that may have been a twig breaking, there was nothing of any substance on any of the recordings. When we parted ways, you mentioned that if I was interested in helping out with investigations and interviews, it might be possible. Unfortunately, I've not heard back from Brandon. Sorry, Buddy, didn't mean to throw it under the bus there. Regarding this. He did get back to me. I realized that it's ultimately your decision, so I'm again making my interest known. I would love to try my hand at following up in reports that would be relevant to my present location in southern California. I am a New Jersey native and am fairly familiar with the New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania area, and I lived in the Pine barrens for four years. I think I was saying I would help up with the New Jersey stuff too. I'd be willing to teep up with and learn the ropes from other investigators as well. I'm also willing to travel if necessary. Thanks for your time, Sincerely, Scott Manton Hired. I'll get you tie that down now.
Speaker 3: You couldn't, although I will say I absolutely guarantee you Matt doesn't give a crap about the SD card at all. Oh I know, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Know it now. That's why I made a point to read that. I'm like, hey, I returned this little drafty piece of plastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I promised that you totally forgot about by now.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: Men value many different things about their appearance. But if you're a guy who really cares about your hair and find out it's slowly going away or worse quickly, you might be feeling discouraged when you look in the mirror, and that's where hymns comes in. Check out their personalized hair loss solutions and you can start seeing your hair go back in as little as three to six months.
Speaker 3: Hymns provides you with convenient and quality access to a range of hair loss treatments that work all from the comfort of your couch or leisure chair or baby carriage, whatever you're into, I guess.
Speaker 5: Hymns makes treating hair loss simple with doctor trusted options and clinically proven ingredients like finastro ride and monoxidel that can regrow hair in as little as three to six months.
Speaker 2: This process is simple and one hundred percent online, so there's no uncomfortable doctor visits.
Speaker 3: Answer a few questions and a medical provider will determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribed, your treatment is sent directly to you for.
Speaker 2: Free, No insurance is needed, and one low price cover everything from treatments to ongoing care.
Speaker 3: Hyms has hundreds of thousands of trusted subscribers and they can help you get your confidence back with visibly thicker and fuller and squatchier hair. Nice searcher free online visits today at hymns dot com. Slash beyond. That's hims dot com slash beyond for your personalized hair loss treatment options.
Speaker 2: Hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 5: Results vary based on studies of topical and oral monoxidyal and finastera ride. Prescription products require an online consultation with a healthcare provider who will determine if a prescription is appropriate. Restrictions apply. See website for full details and important safety information.
Speaker 6: Since that time, like Scott and I have of course stayed in contact. Scott was kind of like my right hand in a lot of ways. When I was running expeditions after the TV show went off the air and I'm thinking, what am I going to do? Do I go back to being a teacher or whatever? So I started running some expeditions out here in mountain Hood National Forest. And Scott is very multi talented. He's a ski patrol guy up here or was. I don't know if you still Are you still doing that?
Speaker 4: I think once you're in, you're never out unless you get jumped out. But I did not pay my dues this year, and I'm not patrolling because I broke my knee and that's.
Speaker 1: A whole other story. Yeah, but I'll probably go back to it. Well, he has like medical cards and all that sort of stuff. And you know, when I do expeditions, everything above board, so to speak. So I get my permits and I do all the I jump through all the hoops at Mount Hood National Forest expects you to do, and it looks very favorable if you have someone who's kind of like an EMT sort of status or right below there. I don't know where ski patrol fun but anyway, he was my right hand out there because he's very versed at bigfoot stuff, and on top of that, he's got medical skills and people's skills and all this other stuff too. So he hosted expeditions with me for at least a year or two or something like that. What are some of the highlights that you remember from there? Because you were actually part of the discovery of a place that we nicknamed Lindsay Lake for example, that is still producing a possible handprint cast came out of there not three weeks ago, so yet it's still going. Or maybe well, probably not five weeks ago, I think to be fair, is before the snow came, but still, what are some of the memories you have of those events?
Speaker 4: Oh Man, it was North American Bigfoot at that time, right, yeah, exactly. I didn't put the center, no center yet, I mean because that was just a dream, yeah that had or it wasn't even a dream yet, not even yet. But the North American Bigfoot stuff is great. And then like having a smaller group, it was it was a little bit tighter and in a smaller space. It was nice.
Speaker 3: We limited the twelve just yeah.
Speaker 4: It was just the right amount of people.
Speaker 3: I learned that from fishing in southern California, because you can go pay money at like you know, forty bucks or something and go on a party boat, so to speak, and there could be eight people on board, there could be sixty people on board. You just don't know.
Speaker 4: Way different experience.
Speaker 3: But if you want to fish in a more reasonable situation, you can go on a limited load thing and pay like twice as much, like eighty bucks or a hundred I mean this is back in you know, the nineties or whatever, so I'm sure it's much more expensive now, but you could spend like one hundred bucks or eighty bucks or something and go on a limited load trip of twenty four people max. And then probably catch more fish because of it, so I kind of picked that up from there.
Speaker 4: So yeah, well I was gonna say, since you're talking about money and stuff like that, I do want to touch back on when I was talking about the BFRO. When I when I found out, you know, you can pay to go on expeditions. There's always these purists and people out there will complain about anything on the Internet, of course, so people are like, oh, it's very charge of money to take people out in the woods and this and that. And I just want to say, one hundred percent, every cent I spent, every dollar I spent on BFRO stuff was totally worth it. And you know, for anyone who's ever gone on any of those trips, they know, they know how amazing it is.
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, I mean you spend three hundred bucks and you get you get all the knowledge that those people that are putting on the expedition in that area. Like I mean, I spent tens of thousands of dollars in fuel and breaks and transmissions and you know gas, you know, just eating up getting to know the area and then something's gonna come out and just absorb all that, you know, Like I'd always told people like dude, lawyers charged four or five six hundred bucks an hour, and I'm charged with less than that for way way more return.
Speaker 4: Paying for it's all right, And I have no problem saying that. And anybody that's thinking about it, you know, look into it. Do it with any organization that you think is is someone you want to support, Just you know, look and be careful who you're supporting. But the North American Bigfoot stuff, same deal. Like I feel like every cent that people put into that they got, they doubled their money in. Just like the sure enjoyment of that we found like the best spot. I don't want to give it away just to say at the doorstep of what became the honeypot that is still producing years later. That's like one of our locations that we regularly hit, and that was that was like proximity of just being there was amazing. And then having the guests come like you had, you know, round robin of like amazing people. You had doctor Jeff melderm came, Bobo came, Chris Mineir came that, Derek Randall, Randall's came. Yeah, Like every one of those trips was cool because there's a little bit different flavor to everyone's style and what they brought to it.
Speaker 3: So what are the some of the Bigfoot activity things that you may have witnessed during some of those expeditions.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well, you know the first trip that we had where we went to what we'll call Lindsay Lake because nobody knows what that is. It's not on a map. You won't find it. You know, I observed some stuff in a thermal with someone else. I was almost certain that something was happening, that I was possibly seeing a sasquatch, and I just can't be sure, but based on everything else that has happened there since then, seems totally logical that I saw a sasquatch because there's been so much evidence has come out of there. In the next day as a visual daylight visual.
Speaker 3: Daylight signing, when like we're sitting in a hut, like the client and her son and Scott and I are sitting around, I think that's it.
Speaker 4: High a mile mile down into a swamp and we were like we went into the edge of the swamp. We were like literally like walking on logs across rivers and with the grass and ferns grown like over our heads into this swampy area and you know, I'll let you tell the story because I can't.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: The way I remember is exactly how it happened.
Speaker 3: The way I remembered is that we're sitting there kind of like by the creek that flows out of the swamp and and we're just hanging out and then the sun says what was that or something like that?
Speaker 6: Was it was that a bear? I remember he said it was a bear, and we got excited. I had a video camera, I think with me, like, honestly, footage. I haven't thought about that. Yeah, so let's go look. Okay, so you and I split up, like I took the right hand wall and you took the left hand wall, and we kind of tried to scissor pinch the bear.
Speaker 4: I just want to say, like everyone that you would ask about like encountering wild animals in the forest would say that we did everything one hundred percent wrong, wrong, But like I'm glad we did it. Yeah, like that was crazy and cool and like we definitely could have died. No, I just made we could have died. Chasing them through the terrain was so insane. We remember it was like literally the slippery logs and then we got out of the slippery logs and there was dead fall everywhere, and you'd be like, oh, just got to get up this hill and you get to the top and then crash through and fall down into some other dead fall and meanwhile you're like, it's over there, it's over there, like running, I'd never seen you so like, I've never seen you move so fast because this at that point, how many years have we been hanging out?
Speaker 3: I always concerned my energy for situations, just like like we're.
Speaker 4: Just sitting there chilling, and you're like, it's a bobo, go and like go that way and like point and you just ran off into the woods and I'm like, okay, I'm going that way.
Speaker 3: But well, we split up at some point and where the thing had walked and walked across a log and again at this point, we're thinking it's a bear because he saw the brush movie, saw some fur whatever that kind of thing. And Scott's over way on one side. I can't even see him. We have radio. I'm way I'm like on the on this bowl shaped sort of slope above where the thing was, and we're poking around and I don't know, I can't remember what came first. But at some point, Oh you know what it was.
Speaker 6: I remember what came first, because the guy who saw it originally said, which one of you guys just walked back there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? It's like, well, one of you guys walked back in the same spot that I just saw it. Which one of you was it? And like you were way across, like in the meadowy swamp area, and like, I'm over this, and so neither one of us. So we hauled over there and I goes and then we hear a knock just like bam bam, like from close. I'm thinking, holy smokes, this is it man, this And again one of those times I thought we're gonna get it on the film for sure. And I went there and we found the log. There was a footprint in the moss on that log. I have photographs of it. I'll share with our members. Of course, you want to be a member, go to the website and click the appropriate things. And so, yeah, there was a footprint on the log. I was two minutes behind it, and I did not see the darn thing. Just another one of those close calls at a spot that is still active to this day, to this day.
Speaker 4: That I literally. I mean, I don't just take people there willy nilly. I'd take front trusted friends there, and it's people that don't even go bigfooting and they're not going to blow the spot up. But every time I take someone there, they're like, Hey, let's go check out this cool spot.
Speaker 2: There's a lake.
Speaker 4: You know, I might see some birds. There's definitely bats. It's so cool. At you know, sunset, there's like hundreds of bats. It's amazing. And every time I've gone there's been noises. But one of the other things that was really cool about your expeditions that I remembered were going to the Thomas site for the first time. Yeah, I mean, I'm fifty now, was like forty six, forty five. I don't remember how it was when this happened, but like walking up there and seeing that it just like I had I had a shift. And so I mean it's like because I remember the pictures of like them standing in the hole and like John Green or whoever standing next to it. I mean, I you tell me, I can't remember if that's who it is. And maybe in the photo Bob Tipmos maybe.
Speaker 3: No, but there's pictures of Bendernogl there. There's pictures a few other folks or the Hindon. There's a couple of pictures of him in the hole. I've never seen one of John Green that I remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but my bad, But I just felt like I walked into a book that I pulled off the shelf when I was.
Speaker 2: Is that the coolest? I remember going there too, when Cliff took me there and I was like, Glenn Thomas, see those rocks stuck like I remember those exact piles and I was like, oh my, this is the hole. He was like, and I was like, this is the whole. The the other guys took pictures of his shoulders up.
Speaker 3: This is surreal.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's cool. It was an amazing yeah, and like it's just there and there.
Speaker 4: And to to just like put a bow on your question. What else was cool about the expeditions? It was the people too. And it sounds corny, but like looking through those photos of every trip, I'm like, oh yeah, like I remember them. That was a cool conversation. Those people were nice. Those people seemed like they were just getting into it and now they're like they're doing it, you know, like it just worked. So that was cool. Good work.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun and a really neat opportunity. I took some of that money, of course, and I put it into the museum. And I got to give Scott full credit man, that the museum would not be probably alive today if it was not for him. A lot of the design concepts are his. He really got me going in the right direction. It was absolutely fantastic, and I really, you know, the entirety of the rest of my life is in part due to my friend here. And I can't sing his praises high enough.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: All of the displays and stuff are basically his designed or copied there from you know. I'm doing the design now, I guess, you know, but I basically copied just what Scott laid out in front of me. Everything that ANYBC is is because of Scott, So I can't. He's been so important in my life, you know. So it's just really really great to see where we all are today based on that chance meeting in Covolo, California in two thousand and eight. It's insane and.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the hell out of that, Cliff, and that means more than you know, essentially with the North American big Foot Center. It's like you went from like your idea to something that like became like here Melissa's idea, to like sharing it with me, and then it became our idea and we like kind of conjured this thing. And now years later you have employees, you have people that are supporting, You have people that come to you that want to work there. You have people coming and visiting you every day like this fully functioning thing, and like you said, and now it's supports you and that it just it started as an idea. You trusted me, you asked me to help you, and I won in that you know, transaction. Even though you're like you're you're like doing this thing or like yay, and I'm like I even just doing it, like I'm happy, like this is I'm stoked.
Speaker 3: Now, back when you were in southern California, you were doing the local mountains, and very very few people actually go bigfooting in the local southern California mountains. Far too few, by the way, in my opinion. So if you're down there listening in Los Angeles, get your butts to the woods. It's there. They are also there, but you went one time with Josh and old timer legendary big ear in some ways Richard Hucklebridge. Uh yeah, remember, I mean, I think a lot of people probably have recognized the name. I mean, I think probably Richard is most famous for purchasing the very early infrared equipment that actually obtained sasquatch footage from the Chehalis project, which is detailed in Tom Powell's excellent book called The Locals. Richard Hucklebridge kicked down a bunch of money for this night vision equipment back in two thousand or two thousand and one, when it was very expensive and very primitive by today's standards. But you were Richard's buddy for a long time, and we go out to the woods with them, and one night you went looking for bigfoot, but something else found you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, That's one of the most memorable nights of my life. And I remember after it happened, we were saying, like, if we ever tell this story, no one's ever gonna believe us, because we went bigfooting and we saw you, and like, this was like the coolest thing that ever happened to me up to that point. I got to say, on that first men Acino trip, I also met a guy named Josh Rolman. He's in La, super solid guy, one of my best friends ever. Met that guy on the trip and I kind of remember, I'm like, man, that guy's a little grumpy, but like that's Josh and he's great and he's like one of my best homies. And we realized we lived and you know again, oh you have to go back to lay at me too. And we lived in pretty close proximity out of all the other people who came on that trip. So we ended up hanging out, spending a lot of time out there, and we somehow linked up with Richard another one of my favorite people picture Wilford Brimley and big footing with him. So he's awesome, and we He had a tow truck driver that would drive people up and down Angel's Crest and he eventually started, you know, contacting Richard and getting reports and then Richard would go check him out, and he got some reports of someone this po truck driver watched some bigfoots on Iron Mountain near there's a mine near Iron Mountain, which is near what's the what's the little town bright Wood or right Wood or the right Wood. Yeah, so there's that Blue Ridge Parkway that goes through the ski area, and we went out there and you're just checking it out and uh doing calls and listening, and it was super windy, so we weren't really hearing anything and we ended up seeing this crazy light in the sky. Well.
Speaker 3: Now, one of the cool things about this particular UFO observation is that you had a recorder running the entire time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Josh had a voice recorder like in his pocket, so that was running, and I had a video camera and it was twelve thirty at night, so it was in the car and we were just standing out on this ridge in the wind watching this thing. And I remember being like, I don't I don't want to look away from it. I'm not going to get my camera, but whatever, I'm just going to watch it. And we watched this thing, and I just like the next day Josh called me. He's like, dude, I taped that last night. My recorder was going. I was like, not even thinking about it. You know, we didn't get any house, I didn't think about the Bigfoot stuff. Forgot about it. Dude. There's recordings of us, and he emailed them to me and I listened to him, and I just remember, like my jaw dropped to the floor because like I was there, I saw it, listening to myself see it with my friends seeing it and knowing what we all saw it, like, it shifted my perspective. I took me back to it and I'm like, dude, we were watching something that we are dumbfounded by.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: Well what did you see?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What did it look like? How did this whole thing? Just walk us through what actually happened before we listened to the recording.
Speaker 4: So to set it up, We're on a fire road at the top of a valley and on the other side of the valley there were a couple different peaks and it was dark, but you could see the sky. You could see like planes flying around and stuff down in la and l a like way in the distance, all the lights but really quiet up and Angel's stressed. So there's you know, you could see a tree line on our right hand side. We're kind of behind us where we're standing, and then we were looking down out across you know, we were looking up in the sky, just listening and then I remember Josh or myself or somebody was like, Hey, what's that down there? And what's that light? And we were we were talking about and watching this light and it was down in the valley and it was in the trees and it was moving through the trees, and we're like, what's that light moving through the trees? Like that's very obviously what it was. And Richard did a search and rescue and for La County, so he was very familiar with the area. And he's like, there's no roads down there, like that's a that's a light in the trees. It's like somebody going like somebody I don't know, but it was going kind of fast, and we were like, is a car? Like we were like like we were confused enough that were like, it's moving too fast to be a person. But it's in the trees. So that's all I know. Like we saw light in the trees and it was going faster than a person far away across this valley, and we kind of we watch that and nothing happened, and we moved on and Josh, we kind of have to be saw we saw next. We didn't even think about that, but when Josh sent me the recordings, he was like, here's the two recordings. And we recorded that watch on this light, and then we moved on, went to another overlook, did a hal and we're sitting there waiting, and about a minute into that, they're like, what's that light over there? And I was like, well, that's the light we saw earlier. It's a yeah, it's the same light. It's right there. So it was like whatever that light appeard was like whitish yellow, it's the same thing. And it was kind of behind us, above the tree line that had been behind us when we were watching it, but still a little off, but we could use the tree line to gauge how it was moving. And it was moving up and down and up like and but not in any pattern. It wasn't going up and down and up and down. It was like oo, like what And then it was going left and right doing the same thing where it was like moving. I'm like, depending on how far away it was, if it was close, it moved pretty fast, like way to the left, and then it went way to the right again, and then now it's back where it started. Like it was like it was on a string or it was dancing, and we're like, what is that. We're watching that talking about that, and then it like moved across the sky and we didn't really talk about that, but I remember watching it was like so if you like panned left to right one hundred and eighty Field Division, we watched it go out over the peaks, out kind of over the like where it would be the ocean on the other side of the mountains, and it was doing the same stuff, and it was changing colors, and it was moving up and down and back and forth, and then it would like stop, and then we were like, do a hell. And I was like, come over here, and they're like, no, don't come over here. And we were kind of joking with each other, laughing, and they're like, oh, just do a hell, and so I was like whoo, and I yelled, and it changed colors and it moved kind of abruptly, and then it changed into like a solid color and just started going and it went out to the left and just like and like went and it got smaller and smaller, and like, I think Josh stopped his recorder because I remember just like watching it until it disappeared, and he was like, it's gone, and then Richard was like, nah, no, I see, it's blinking like I see. And that was the thing. It stopped changing colors, it stopped blinking. It was just a white light and it went flying like I'm a clock at three o'clock. It flew around the clock to like eleven ten o'clock and then it started blinking and got small and it went and it looked like a plane going out the ocean. And now twenty twenty five people are saying this is happening in New Jersey all like since November. It's going on all the time, and my mom sent me videos like I saw the drones and like calling him drones. I'm like, that wasn't a drone. That was like twenty ten, and it was like it did spectacular things. It wasn't a d Like if you have a drone and a drone move, it'd be like, okay, the drone's buzzing over there. Now it stopped, and now it's going over there. It was like it was like on a string and it was like yank, yank, yank, what like bouncing, and then it would be smooth and then it would like seasaw and like swing around it was like it was the craziest thing I've ever seen and it just flew away and we're like, what the hell was that? And what do we do with that? Like we went I remember going back to the campsite and we were all sober. I have to say that we're all sober. Richard was in the like military, and then he was search and rescue. He was La County Sheriff's deputy. Josh is like pretty like corporate kind of guy. He's got a really like serious job. And like I was just there and I'm like, I'm I'm a skater, but like I saw it, like and we're sitting there like what did you see? And we're like, I'm drawn on it in the dirt with a stick. It was like it looked like a light, but then it looked like kind of half a light, like a like a walnut or something, but it was dark. I don't know. Then we'll get bright. I don't know. And he's like, yeah, like sometimes it looked like this and sometimes is either way. I was like, nobody's gonna believe this, Like we went big footing saw UFO. There's nuts, Like what do we do? So I like I emailed Moufon and Mike wrote this long letter, and you know, I told Matt and he was like, dude, we got to animate this. We're gonna put it. You know, we're going to do this, and that I don't know what it was. There was a whole bunch of Matt stuff that it sounded cool, but I mean, it's like anything else that happens anybody you see a sasquatch, Like, what are you going to do? You got to move on with your life, or you do what I did, and then you just go down the rabbit hole. You're like, what was that? No, I want to know, And you started asking questions and you ask other people and this is like I'm already doing that with sasquatch stuff, and I'm getting crazy answers like whoa, that's just making it more confusing. Let me try to straighten it out out over here. Oh here's something I saw. Maybe this will like make more sense. Well, sorry, that doesn't make any sense either.
Speaker 5: I went back in my email because Matt had sent that to me right after it happened, So it looks like it was mid September two thousand and nine. Well, let's play the sound file real quick, look at that light.
Speaker 4: Leave that light over there? Yeah, yeah, my buddy, what the.
Speaker 2: Hell coming off the air Force base there there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Moving? Really weird.
Speaker 4: What I'm gonna started? What is that? What is that? It's weird? What is that?
Speaker 2: Dude? That's a flying saucer? Think so, I think we've got to sing one the mony.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 2: Holy I turned my light on.
Speaker 4: What the hell is it doing?
Speaker 3: Dancing? The sun base is dancing?
Speaker 2: I got my camera.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't even pick that up right now.
Speaker 4: I'm not even gonna go to turn. I'm not gonna blink.
Speaker 2: What the.
Speaker 4: That came from? Where we were just looking at the light that was in the freaking trees?
Speaker 2: I hollered, and I'm scared.
Speaker 4: What the hell is that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's your dancing. Look at that stopping, stopping and dancing up and down. It's time of a bitch.
Speaker 3: What right here?
Speaker 4: Come see us? Don't come see us?
Speaker 3: Come over here.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty good about our.
Speaker 2: Distance right now, I do too. I feel good at.
Speaker 4: Looks like it's awesome. It looks like it's going a little further away.
Speaker 3: It's dancing.
Speaker 4: It is going up and down. Can change colors now it turned red and went out and went back on.
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm, it's gone.
Speaker 4: No, it's still there. I can't see it now. It's breaking Blake, Blake, Blake. And that's the end of the recording right there. Yeah, that's all I got from him. Might and might have gone on. I'm not sure. I do want to say. He was like, oh, it's very slowly moving off. But I remember like as it was moving in or watching it, it was doing one thing, and then as it started moving away, it was like, Okay, that's a different thing. And then at the very end I was like that looks way different too, and and I just kind of I don't know, like I still am not sure. Like sometimes I'm like maybe it was like an early drone, but like even now, like do drones do that, Like I don't know do they do like zero gravity maneuvers kind of like I don't want to say zero gravity. But it was just like it wasn't windy, and it like, oh got buffeted a little this way and that way. It was like bobbing and going over here and then going back there.
Speaker 3: Like either way, you saw some weird stuff. Is a bottom line.
Speaker 4: It's just like one of the things. Yeah, it's it's a trip.
Speaker 3: I was told a very very long time ago, probably like nineteen ninety three or something like that, someone told me that if you put your weird antenna up, you'll attract some weird stuff, but it may not be quite what you expect. And I think this is one of those examples where you went out bigfooting and you saw something totally unexplainable. Yeah, it has nothing to do with bigfoot, but it's very weird and what a treasure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever it was, it was like hooked man even more, like I need more of that. And I was just like I was at Henri Franzoni that said that, no, no, he.
Speaker 3: Should have he should He probably said that to somebody.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages. A lot of weird stuff happens in those hills, man, I mean when we hear about a fair amount of it, because there's a lot of people living in Los Angeles, but you've also spent a lot of time out there. Are there any other stories or weird occurrences or something that happened in the southern California Mountains?
Speaker 3: You want to share with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's all kinds of little things that are that are cool, like just following up on stuff and finding like a cool swimming hole or something like, wow, I didn't know that was here. It's all is kind of desolate and it's really really rugged terrain. I don't know if San Bernardino in the San Gabriel Mountains lots of like really treacherous rock and yuckin it's like very desert inhospitable environment. And then there's like little oasis and hidden waterfalls and things like that. So I went with Matt and Josh and we followed up on some footprints that a hunter found. Found those photos today they're they're they're still interesting. And we had a you know kind of we went up there at night instead of waiting for daytime and couldn't find the prince and trying all over him and left, and then Josh and I went back the next day. We're like, dude, I feel like we got to go back in the light. And we went and we found our prints, like walking all through the other prince, and then there was like one salvageable that we tried to cast. That's fun. I still have that cast. But yeah, you know, I kept driving by the sign that said Devil's Canyon, and I think I was reading like Henry Franzoni's stuff and he was talking about place names and double place names, and I'm like, Devil's Canyon, that's like sasquatch, dude. I got to get in there, you know, and just you know, never found the time for it. And I was like, you know, I proposed to this my girlfriend, and I decided I was going to ask my buddy to be my best man. And I'm like, I could like double dip on this. I could go like do something cool with Casey and then asking him, you know, it was like a big I never got married before. I'm like, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Maybe he can tell me. So I'm gonna like ask him another single dude. Of course, he didn't know anything, but I was like, hey, you want to go hiking. I'm gonna check out this place, Devil's Canyon. It might be a bigfoot spot. You know, it's code, you know. So he's like sure, you know. It was kind of so we're in La. We like skate and surf and walk around and flip flops and like not really too serious, and you're like, you want to go Devil's Canyon in the mountains. You're like sure, and you know, like flip flops and shorts and you know, maybe a beer or water or something. And uh. We ended up hiking down there, but at the time I didn't My car was broken and I borrowed my girlfriend's car, and when I left, I was just joking. I'm like, yeah, if i'm not back by five, called cops and she's like, hi, okay, and I left and forgot I said that. So we drove up an hour to Devil's Canyon, parked, hiked down, like midway down, ran into a bear and it was kind of a narrow canyon and kind of had to navigate around this bear. So that was pretty exciting. Got down, checked out the waterfall, didn't find anything big footy, but I had done my research and I went on the internet and I went on some ancient web page up for hiking, and I had found that there was this shortcut to get out of Devil's Canyon. You go up the side thing called Skull Canyon. I'm like, all right, this is this is going to be good. So the Casey's like, what are we gonna do? Man, Like there's a bear and I'm like, well, bear might be gone, but we could pop up this side canyon Skull Canyon, no problem. You know that's better than Devil's Canyon. You know, it'll go up that way. And in the instructions it was like, yeah, it was vague. It was like, go up two waterfalls and then you go to the right, and then you go up on the right side of the third waterfall, and then you pop to the right and the road's right there. You walk to your car and you're out instead of going to the bear, So my buddy Casey and I have climbing up. We went up and uh, I thought I heard some noise and I'm like, oh, that was a car And he's like, I don't know, man. And we got to the spot and we're like, okay, is this third waterfall or the second waterfall? Like I don't know. They kind of went up some waterfall type stuff. It was very ambiguous. Apparently it was the second waterfall, and I'm like, okay, this is the one. This is the third waterfall. We got to go to the right, so we pop over on the right side, and he's like it's a it's like a cliff, dude, Like what do we do? I'm like, oh, you just got to go up the side, you know near the waterfall part. It's less of a cliff. You just hug that and like diagonal up. And I'm just like pointing up this slope of Yukka and he's like, all right, climb up. So I started climbing up and you know, again we're skateboarders, like we can do anything and jump off ten foot buildings whatever, down handrails, climb up the Shelle cliff and we were climbing and I'm like pulling Yucca and it's like pulling out dislodging rocks and I made a mini avalanche and uh my buddy's like, dude, I'm not gonna do this. I'm going back down. I see you down there. I'm gonna go down to the other place and walk up the way we came in. And uh I'm like all right, kind of like give up and slide down, and totally the right decision on his part. We get down to the more manageable place the waterfalls, and we're hiking back down and we're like hike back down to where we had started and made that terrible decision, and there was a little like overlooked for this waterfall, and then the overlook it was kind of.
Speaker 2: Like a cave.
Speaker 4: And he's like, man, I can't believe you did this to me, like and I was like, yeah, I didn't even get to ask you to be my best man for like my wedding. And he's like, what are you talking about. I'm like, I brought you out here. I was going to ask you to be my best man. He's like, oh, of course I'll do that. But like we got to get out of here and it's getting dark, and I'm just like, it's kind of crazy. And we just looked and it was it was treacherous train and I'm like, just stay here, you know, we'll be fine. We'll just hike out in the morning. The cave will make a fire. So we did that and had like meager supplies, so we like high. For some reason. I had that little stupid space blanket in the plastic the aluminum thing, and I'm like, all right, hey, Casey, I got a space blanket, you know, so I shook that out, you know, the dusty ass space blanket I had for ten years. Finally get to use this thing. Dave it Tom. I had skittles. I'm like, this is probably why I got diabetes. Like I like had skittles and like a beer and weed. That's like it. It's we're like, let's see these skittles and like play word games. And it was like, I don't know, it was like we went through levels of like psychological like despair and like keeping It's okay, man, we're gonna make it. It's cool, don't worry about it. Like, yeah, we got this, Okay, put some more wood on the fire. And we're sitting there and I'm like, man, my girlfriend's gonna be really pissed with me because I, like I didn't bring her car back. She's gonna be worried, like and then I started thinking about like she's gonna be worried about me, like all right, and I started really thinking about that and like being sensitive and like, oh man, I'm a terrible person.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 4: I just remember him being like, dude, you know, it's fine, we'll get out of here. It's just like it's like what we got like six hours left or something. It's not that long. And uh, we hear this noise and I'm like, sounds like I don't know, it sounds like thunder, and I'm like, no, it's just going And then I remember being like it's like a tank. So we're you know, we're in this little overlook at the top of a waterfall that's in a canyon, and a canyon goes straight out and kind of curves to the left and you can see like trees and the sky and we're sitting there, like the noise is getting louder, and the canyon starts lighting up and We're like, whoa, what's that And I'm still just like I have no idea what it is. I'm like, I don't know, And like this helicopter comes around the corner with like search light down in the canyon and it's like like definitely loud. I'm like, oh, it's a helicopter. So we're sitting there and I'm like, what, I've never seen a helicopter like one hundred feet away at you know, a night in the mountains shigning a search light at me. This is insane. And I'm like, oh, Casey just jumps up and it's like we're saved, and he like runs out and he's like standing on top of this waterfall in the space blanket and he's waving the space blanket and the helicopter flies over and it shines the search light down on us. I'm sitting there like like watching this, like is this really happening? And it was like wind was flying, there's rocks flying, and like there's a helicopter fifty feet above us. And they're like on the radio. I can't hear, like I'm half deaf, so I'm like, what are they saying? And Case is like yeah, like yelling. I don't know. I don't know if they could hear vegas. They were like, you know, we're gonna get you out of here. And I'm sitting there and like this guy comes down of like a rope and and like comes out of the helicopter. Helicopter is hovering. He're like, I don't know, like fifty feet seventy five feet over in the air and it's light. The dude comes down on the rope and he lands and unhooks and he comes running over and he's like all dressed in black and he's got night vision goggles. He's like, yes, okay, we're gonna get you out of here, and we're like. My friend's like, yes, get us out of here, and I'm just like yeah, They're like we're gonna get you out of here. I'm like, Casey, you go first. He's like all right, and I'm just like vaguely watching him. And the guy does something and go up the zip line in the air, and I'm watching my buddy just go up in the air and disappear into the helicopter and I'm sitting there and I'm like okay. I'm like all right, I guess I'm ready to go. And I go over and I'm standing there and the dude comes back down on the rope and I'm like what do I do? And he's like grab on And I was like thinking, like, is there like a thing you clip on me? And he's just like and he takes my arms and puts him around his waist and he grabs me and he's like says something in the radio and we go shrew up the rope. So I'm like in the air like I'm in like Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. And I go up and they like pushed me into the helicopter. So now I'm like on the floor of a helicopter on my hands and knees, looking around like I've never been a helicopter before. It's surreal. It's like kind of moving, but like still like a like an elevator when it stops, just continuously the moment when your stomach's up and down, I'm like, what the hell's going on on? The guy comes over with a notebook and he's like, are you so and So's fiance And I'm like yep, and he's like we got him. And they're like, okay, Roger, that dude. And they start driving away in the helicopter and I'm sitting there and Casey's sitting on the bench and he's got like a nice blanket on and he's just glaring at me and I'm like hey, and he's like just shaking his head. I'm like all right, and I'm like there's a helipad and they like land on the helipad and I'm like, this is not the car and they're like all right, you guys hop about and we're like what do we do? And they're like you get out of the helicopter and we're like I'm like no, do we have to pay? Like what's going on. They're like, do you live in La County And we're like, yeah, you pay taxes and yeah. They're like all right, you already paid, thanks and just get out and I'm like all all right. And we got out and then the helicopter flew away and we're standing there and we're like, where the hell are we. We're on helipad in the middle of Angela's Cress, Like you're just like, okay, there's La down there. But we're in the mountains still and there's like a building down that where are we? And this little golf cart comes up and this security guard just like looks as he's like what are you doing? And we're like I don't know, Like what do we do? And he's like I don't know, and he just drove away and we were like, I guess follow him. We went down and it was an emergency room of a hospital in Azusa, and I'm like, all right, do you have a phone in the way The intake nurse was like, oh my lord, come in here and like are you okay? Is anybody bleeding? And like, you know, did the nurse stuff? And I'm just looking at Casey in the light and he's in his underwear and he's just got sticks in his hair and he's just like, dude, I'm never going hiking with you again.
Speaker 3: Let that be listened to everyone.
Speaker 6: By the way, well, I think on that note, be safe in the woods, tell people where you're going.
Speaker 3: And this is another excellent example of what can come from that. So there you go. That's crazy story, Scott. That's his nutty story. And well, thank you. Thank you for coming on the podcast and sharing some of the weird things that have happened to you over the time. If you want to come visit Scott, he works at his own shop, a record shop in Sandy, Oregon. You can always talk to him on Instagram. It's a record shop in Sandy on Instagram. And you can also check out his designs and all that sort of stuff on the internet machine scottmintondesign dot com. All these things will be in the show notes of course. Reach out if you're in Sandy, come buy a record man. He has some of the best selections I've seen, and he also gives you the personal touch anything you're looking for. Any last minute thoughts here, Scott before we get going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love working with artists and creative people. So anybody that's got ideas of things that they want to make, like, let's talk. If I can't do it, I think I know someone who can. And there's a lot of really great people in this community. Mount Hood is a special place. We talk about it often. It's like there's a lot of places like this. There's a lot of creative people here who run their own businesses and there's a little community that does that. It's like a pleasure interacting with those people. And I know they're out there. I just as I see it happening in this record shop all the time. It's a vortex of cool stuff. It was here before I came here. It was a skate shop and this was happening. And before that it was like a gallery and that was happening. And this is building. This place, like in proximity to this magical mountain is like a really cool spot to be And people come in and they're like, oh this is this feels good. I'm like yeah, I know right. It's like it's a special place. And and if you come here and buy a record, you always get a free record with that record.
Speaker 3: You get a free record with that record.
Speaker 4: You do. I got so many records, so yeah, you get a free record with every record that you buy.
Speaker 6: All right, Bobo, final thoughts and get us out of here, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Scott for coming on and we'll catch you all next week. Till then, y'all keep it squatchy.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond