Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio while this is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Iying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 2: In today with me is Larry Gillman, former sports caster in Cincinnati, and now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: The first college football playoff rankings came out yesterday. The top four teams were Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia, and Miami. But Ohio State would not be able to be in the top four because it needs to be from the four separate conferences.
Speaker 2: Okay, who give me the rest? Because I didn't even pay attention to.
Speaker 4: This, let me pull up the rest I saw. I know Indiana was pretty high up.
Speaker 3: Who else?
Speaker 5: B yu?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's but.
Speaker 6: Let's say p top twenty five.
Speaker 4: Oregon one, Ohio State two, Georgia three, Miami four, Texas five, Penn State six, Tennessee seven, Indiana eight, b y U nine, Notre Dame ten, Alabama eleven, and Boise State twelve.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, that sounds like a good list there. Alabama's in still, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: They're not the They're not the Alabama the years past, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't believe. Well, if BYU is playing Alabama, straight up, I don't know who'd be favorite back right, It would be b Yu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's funny.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: B Yu is probably gonna end up number four because they're gonna probably win the Big twelve.
Speaker 9: So yeah.
Speaker 4: The new NFL mock draft came out today from NFL dot Com that has Teamac going number four overall to the Panthers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I still said there before the season started that he would if he had a good year, that he'd probably be the best UA football to ever play here. I have to change my mind on that because it's been a tough year even though he's done really well.
Speaker 6: He'll be the highest draft to definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very much. So, very very talented obviously.
Speaker 5: No, for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean it's you know what it is, It's all about talent.
Speaker 7: It's it's talent. But they've really never gotten into a flow this year.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh yeah, no, no, and I don't think that he will at any point. And once you've gone through seven games, and whatever games still hasn't happened.
Speaker 4: Speaking of the Panthers, they say that quarterback Bryce Young will start for the team once again over Andy Dalton.
Speaker 6: After winning last week versus the Saints cost me a lot of money.
Speaker 5: I had a parlay and all all that New Orleans had to do is win out right, and they lost.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't even close. I don't think it was one point? Was it at the end?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought it was. That was really though.
Speaker 4: Patrick Mahomes came out and said that his ankle that he injured Monday night is limited. Uh it's not very sore or it's a sore ankle, but it's limited pain.
Speaker 3: Okay. Cool. Do you who they having next?
Speaker 6: They play the Broncos.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, they're going to falter something here along the way. Even when they're playing bad, they're winning.
Speaker 7: The thing that's so amazing to me is how well they've done and what a horrible fantasy year Mahomes is having, right. I mean, he is really not been impressive, but he just wins.
Speaker 2: The thing about is everybody has this high expectations of him and then you know, but he's a winner.
Speaker 3: He knows how to how to pull it off for Adible. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Juan Soto, the number one free agent this year for MLB, will take his time surveying the free agent market, according to his agent, Scott Boars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you should. He'll play end up with the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: They already the Dodgers came out today and they said that Mookie Bets is going to play the infield next year.
Speaker 3: So trying to find a way to get him on the outfield.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, probably trying to.
Speaker 3: Well what we had yesterday? Did we have yesterday that Tony's going to have shoulders? Shoulders?
Speaker 4: I think I know that happened Yesterda Yeah, yeah, but I think they said he will be back for sure. Cole Linehart, the son of Matt Linehart, has committed to s m U.
Speaker 6: He is also a quarterback.
Speaker 2: M m hmm, the son of a former volleyball player. I think it's a volleyball.
Speaker 6: Player, usc quarterback.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a quarterback, but his his his girl Field was a volleyball player.
Speaker 2: God, it's already Lionard's already having kids to go into the I mean, the whole.
Speaker 5: Whole thing is crazy.
Speaker 6: My life now.
Speaker 7: Everybody who I I expect them to see their son and I think it's them and it turns out daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I'm at the point too. I just wow, my time.
Speaker 2: My kids are twenty nine and twenty six, and I'm thinking they were just on the soccer field ye the other day.
Speaker 5: Mine are in their forties.
Speaker 3: Now, oh, well, can you adopt me? I need some boy.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you one thing. If I had some money, I would I have houses. Now. I bought that house in Aspen and now I don't have any money.
Speaker 3: Well, they do have houses, Richmond problems, Well it is rich.
Speaker 7: Problem is I can't, you know, cut off a room and buy a car with it.
Speaker 5: I can, but I'm worth more than I've ever been worth. But I don't have any money.
Speaker 2: I think you can find time to adopt me.
Speaker 3: You can do that.
Speaker 5: Well, my wife's only fifty eight, so well the good you're just going off. Wow, back in the day, I was showing off.
Speaker 4: Brown's general manager Andrew Berry came out today and said they the team is noncommittal to quarterback Deshaun Watson next year, who is currently recovering from the.
Speaker 3: Obligated for that price of him forever.
Speaker 4: I think I've he next year of the year after they can cut him for for and save this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was a disaster, boy.
Speaker 7: You know, and.
Speaker 5: I guess you've got to be in the game. But you know, with with Tua and with with Watson and some of these others, I mean, it just seems.
Speaker 3: To it wasn't and then Dak got.
Speaker 5: It seems ridiculous with you know, it seems to happen right after that.
Speaker 2: Back in your day, Larry, uh, in the mid seventies, late seventies, and and and Pete was going, Pete Rose was going for his stuff.
Speaker 5: What was the prospective, Well, he set the new standard.
Speaker 7: He was the first player to ever get a million dollars a year, and that was in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how was the uproar or what was he up?
Speaker 7: Well, I you know, like they always do, people say, I can't believe they're paying them a million dollars to play baseball. But uh, you know, people tend to get over it. I mean, sure, sure, because standards kick. Now in recent years, obviously they've moved a lot faster and a lot further, but it's always been you know, back in the day. I sure, back in the day, back in the day. I mean, you know, baseball and athletes in general. I mean the players were owned by the owners, and yeah, they didn't make any money, right right, That's all I got.
Speaker 2: I guess they had the funeral for Pellans reel right either. Yeah, didn't Did they ever say what he passed away from? Because he was very thin and obviously didn't look like himself.
Speaker 3: Did you were eighties? Eighties? You were still in Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: I was in Milwaukee. He was with Dodgers, and I remember.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know what it's He didn't say what he passed from, but he had been obviously a grew to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, anything else?
Speaker 2: You know, thing else basketball basketball, anything college basketball. We have a game on from Saturday afternoon. What were your impressions.
Speaker 6: There from Monday Monday?
Speaker 4: It was clear Tommy he was just trying to get as many guys out there. Just got some rhythms. So that's anybody impression. I think vsar is the way he could stretch the floor though, something they can work.
Speaker 3: I really liked that you can do that. I really liked that he can do that.
Speaker 2: Uh, and if if it takes time for crews to come come in and do what he does because he's still he's still a.
Speaker 3: Project to me.
Speaker 2: He's you know, seven foot whatever, and he makes the other guys he Henry looks small, you know, so we'll see you know, he's he's good previous. He's still a little stiff, right, you know, and that you just don't wait magic wand and become not stiff. I mean, you takes fluidity, takes time, blah blah blah. You know, and you've seen the games Tarzuski and and those big dudes.
Speaker 3: You are who you.
Speaker 2: Are, Yeah, no, I mean it's it's and Henry's not. Henry's not that guy. He's flu He's fluid.
Speaker 3: He runs a court well, he can stretch it, he can shoot it, he can he's aggressive.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I haven't seen the team this year much. I've been doing a lot of traveling. I've been involved in the election. I've been involved in other stuff.
Speaker 2: But I will Yeah, nothing else, No, Okay, anybody want to call, You can feel free to call if I have two er four one forty. Let us know what's going on in your world. If you like the Baffort interview, give us a call. We have David Cosgrove here in about ten minutes. And if you're still concerned about the football program, you can air it out here. Gabe, if you're listening, give us a call, uh, Nico, anybody, anybody get a lot of callers who are kind of upset about the situation.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that's what people do, and venting can be a healthy thing.
Speaker 3: It can be a get therapeutic, therapeutic. Yeah. Well you see it every Tuesday with the McMahon's and guys.
Speaker 5: Wow, those guys. That's you know, it's a lesson inventing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, WA's this? Wats this? Listen to mom complain? Yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: Uh no, We'll see what happens, especially if you you know, spend money, uh to buy the tickets and you you know, expense, you know, give out a pretty big expense of your of your life to go watch football.
Speaker 7: I think it's part of it's the money, and I think part of it is the emotional commitment. I mean, you commit to a program, you commit to a team, You you root for them, you you sort of adopt them in a certain way, and if things don't go well, or if you think they're they're not performing in a way that they should, you're disappointed and uh, you know that's that comes with the turf. I mean you if if everyone who runs a program encourages fans to get emotionally involved and get passionate, and then the flip side of that is if you don't deliver or if you disappoint people, then they're going to be passionate about that.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you, as you're saying all this, I'm looking at you one laugh, because are you a sportsman?
Speaker 3: You still?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of what?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 7: You know, I lived for thirty years in Milwaukee before I came here and I became professionally the professional teams. I'm a Bucks fan, I'm a Brewers fan. I'm a Packers fan here. I've become a u of a fan in the last twenty.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't have to be and you wake up on Monday, You're fine. We don't have to cry, you don't have to lament, you don't have to do anything. You watch the game, you put it away, turn off, you have your TV dinner or something like that. I'm no longer a fan. It's been a long time. I don't get mostly involved. I don't like doesn't mean anything to me. I don't have any dog in the game.
Speaker 7: Well, fantasy football to a great extent cured me of being a fan because I now root for my players.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm in four leagues and I'm doing all this.
Speaker 2: I said, I couldn't do that because I'm too loyal to my team, right, And that kills you. It gets in the way it.
Speaker 7: I don't know, And I've been a longtime Packers fan, been to the Super Bowls and the whole thing, and.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think which.
Speaker 7: Takes precedence if I have a player in the game or if the Packers are on the field.
Speaker 5: It goes, it flips back and forth. But the fact that I even have.
Speaker 7: To think about it is a sign of how much fantasy sports and sports gambling I think in general, I was taken over, has taken over the question in a way that we can argue about whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 5: But it is what it is, and it's not going to change.
Speaker 3: I mean no, no, it's going to increase.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think that's probably a lot of a lot of the ankst comes from.
Speaker 3: You know, you get the online people who are ripping, well, how could you drop that pass?
Speaker 2: And you know the over unders, you know whatever, and you missed the extra point and yea, yea.
Speaker 7: And another big development from that is a lot of this focus on getting the calls right. I mean, the other couple of weeks ago, I didn't have money on this game, and I don't bet money money. I'll bet ten dollars, you know. I mean, it's not like I'm out there, but it does keep me busy as a retired person.
Speaker 5: But when that.
Speaker 7: Safety against Darnold was not called at the end of the game and it created an eight point win from a six point win, it affected the over under and tens of millions of dollars changed hands as a result of that non call. Now, I think that a lot of this demand for accuracy and the demand to get the call right as opposed to having blown calls just be a part of the game and you have to deal with it, which is what it used to be. I think a lot of that is being driven by how much money is at stake, not just by who wins the game, but by how many points and everything else. I think there's is going to be an increasingly large factor and role played by the gambling interests and the demand for getting it right.
Speaker 2: Well, you asked, Bob, you know, how has the industry trained in horse racing from thirty forty fifty years ago?
Speaker 3: Whatever football? Look a look before.
Speaker 2: You imagine going back in the seventies and reviewing the film or tape, going back to review the tape to get a call right or wrong. How that would have changed, because now they do it every two minutes and a game prolongs or whatever. Back going back to seventies and say, oh, that was not a catch or that was you know what I'm saying. Before it was just you know, okay, this on the next play, let's move on.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 7: But now tens or hundreds of millions of dollars can be riding on it in a way that it never was before because of the online gambling and everything else. So I think that it's become a bigger economic fan.
Speaker 3: That's probably been the biggest change in your time.
Speaker 5: Can oh for sure. I mean, I think it's a combination.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, I remember back in the days when I was growing up, you know, go to a bush stadium seats thirty thousand people. I'd watched Dan Musial, I'd watched you know, the Cardinals play and then i'd go to you know, wherever I was. I'd go to wherever it was. And now all of a sudden, the new stadiums are all going up. They're all like shopping malls and carnival parks and else, I mean family entertainment and high tech and and everything else. And the cost of course has gone through the roof. But more important than that, I think the games themselves are are played to cater to the TV audience and not in person audience. But sure, long commercial breaks and everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's totally different if you go to a game and watching on TV. Somethings are made for TV, and something's around. So let me ask you when you were going to the games as a ten to twelve year old and there was seventy cents, right, what's what was?
Speaker 9: It was?
Speaker 3: Seventy cents a big deal?
Speaker 5: Five cents Not for me? I mean I wasn't rich, but no, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: A big deal. But your dad, your dad gave you the money to go.
Speaker 7: In or well I got an allowance and it wasn't. Seventy five cents.
Speaker 3: Is what today is? Give me give me a well, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know, it'd probably be ten bucks today or a five bucks or eight bucks. That's what you spend on a on a drink pretty much at a cheap bar.
Speaker 5: So I'm just saying that. You know it was not a big deal.
Speaker 2: You know we got to go. We'll come back with Dave Consru.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Check that's check Enter in right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 3: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion.
Speaker 5: Your joy and excitement.
Speaker 1: From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 5: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 12: Yuckie trye The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 12: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tip we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equations?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: School and the false sports season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follos. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 3: For over one thousand fun items to.
Speaker 15: Choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our idea center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 3: At Nova home Loans.
Speaker 11: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan programs of suffict to change the NUNT notice.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime.
Speaker 3: Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 15: As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best of sports.
Speaker 3: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on eat Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: On a road trip or just around town, driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One Rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 5: You can borrow better with cheering them.
Speaker 13: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one Rate. Perramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 10: Gout bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. The thirty five premier speakers including UA All American Ricky Hunley, Hall of Fame Coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more expand your professional network, explore new opportunities, and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, that's a Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fisding. I want to take part in the show call up steam now went five to two oh four seventy.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Ruberto with me, it is Larry Dillman now on the phone. We have Pema Ben's soccer coach, the Cosgrove Dave.
Speaker 9: How are you, hey, Steep?
Speaker 5: Doing good?
Speaker 9: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, doing really well? So another another title for you to move on. How was yesterday?
Speaker 9: It was good?
Speaker 8: You know, I'm fortunate I have a really you know, a really good squad this year.
Speaker 9: They're very motivated. So getting ourselves into a championship game against a really good team that's highly motivated and very disciplined, well coach and coming out with the result is always great.
Speaker 8: But you know that's kind of the expectations we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have no question. So what's next?
Speaker 9: So we won litstee we want our or we shared our conference title, and.
Speaker 8: Then last night we won our region in district, So that means we're an automatic qualifier for the national tournament, which is in Alabama starts on the seventeen, So we'll fly out next week and I'll put us in the last twelve teams in the country.
Speaker 3: Yes, no question.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you because of the circumstances I think the last year or two you were playing them here, do you think this might help in a sense that there's not as much pressure playing at home, maybe relaxing on the road.
Speaker 9: You know, I think it gives us an opportunity kind of just to get out there be by ourselves, you know, in a new environment, totally just focusing on the task at hand. So I'm hoping that, you know, that will help us. You know, I feel badly that we haven't performed as well as we should have in two on the last couple of years. I know, a lot of people put hard work into that, and I thought we fell short of our expectations. So you know, fully we can you know, at least do something a little bit better on the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: How does this team distinguish itself from the other ones, the other great ones that you've had.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, once again, I've had Well, I guess I've been there so long you would think sooner.
Speaker 9: Or later i'd have a good team. But you know, we've had some really good players and some really good teams.
Speaker 8: You know, I really like this group. You know, they're very connected to each other where we're definitely sophomore loaded, so we have a lot of experience and maturity.
Speaker 9: On the team.
Speaker 8: And you know, I think they they kind of made a you know, a commitment to each other after last year's tournament of coming back and trying to rewrite what the program is capable of doing.
Speaker 9: And so far they've done a really good job with it. Uh, they're really motivated.
Speaker 8: It doesn't require much from the coaches to get them to train hard and treat.
Speaker 9: Things the right way. So a lot of it really is the credit to the kids on the team.
Speaker 2: Has the has the past impacted the future? And I'm saying most recently, I'm even sure you have a couple of guys here there who have played in the past, like last year and the year before, has maybe motivated or at least got them more. Knowing on what to expect moving forward.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you know, we had quite a few freshmen last year, and like I said, I think we felt like we underachieved, and that you know, starts with me at the top. I didn't think I.
Speaker 8: Did a great job at the national tournament.
Speaker 9: So we all came back with the idea that we.
Speaker 8: Needed to change the narrative on the team and the core group of kids.
Speaker 9: That we have coming back, and you know, we feel like we're on the right path to doing that. We've you know, won a lot of games, we've.
Speaker 8: Won a couple of tinles, but there's still a lot of work to do, and I think we're.
Speaker 9: Motivated to keep, you know, changing that narrative because I don't think any of us felt really good with the way things ended last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that that'll help motivate. Have you this may be a dumb question because I've known you for a long time, Dave, Obviously I have been coach my kids. Have you changed as a coach as you've gotten older or are you still the same guy?
Speaker 9: You know, I keep getting that question a lot, and I'll actually a lot of alumn I feel like I've gotten maybe a little bit easier and softer and a little bit more patient, I think, And in the reality is I probably have and I know with this particular group, I change a lot of things I've done in the past and try to change things up, you know, to elicit and maybe a different response and hopefully different results. You know, I still like to think that, you know, the standards we've set for the last twenty five years, are there. The expectations, the commitment, the discipline, you know, I think those are all still the you know, kind of the core elements of what we're doing. You know, though, I do think I'm a little bit more open minded too, you know, teaching and working with kids in different ways rather than just hammering away at it being my way and my way only. So you know, maybe it's the best way to put it is I think I've matured as a coach and I'm a little bit more willing to look at things differently. And again, I have great assistant coaches who present different ideas, so I'm constantly learning as well. So yeah, I guess you know, a long answer to a short question is I do think I changed. I'd like to think it's in a positive way, and you know, obviously it makes it a better.
Speaker 8: Experience for our coaches and our players.
Speaker 7: Coach, I'm Larry Gelman, I'm here helping Steve out today, and I wanted to ask you a question about the ways in which at a school like yours, the intensity and duration and demands made of the athletes have changed, if they have over the last ten or twenty years, in the sense of it seems to me I played at a Division III school and back then practice was almost optional. This was fifty years ago, you know, no scholarships, no pressure, It was all about the game. But it seems like now at your level there's a lot more intensity, a lot higher quality athletes, and a lot more being asked or required of the athletes and of the coaches. And I wanted to get your sense on that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, well, first, Larry, I appreciate you helping Steve out.
Speaker 8: I know a long time, so I can testify that he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it does. But he set you up on.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 9: He just loved that one. We haven't waiting a couple of years.
Speaker 8: For that one, right, But uh, you know, I think it's a great.
Speaker 9: Question, and I honestly believe it is significant, different, different than it was before, you know, even just in my own experience, and again we're talking at you know, fairly high performing junior college, you know, PIMA. All their programs now compute at a very high level. And these kids.
Speaker 8: What we ask of these kids now compared to what we ask of them even twenty five years ago, I think is significantly different. Of course, as they grow up, their their experiences and all their sports is significantly different.
Speaker 9: I think the time, the money, the commitment of all these kids is you know, completely different. You know, I think it's much more demanding.
Speaker 8: I think there's you know, they're specializing in a sport, picking a path early on, getting additional training, getting you know, the year round training, you know. So I think all that is the bar has been raised, I think for the most part.
Speaker 9: In a good way. I think some people would argue in a negative way.
Speaker 8: But when they get to our level now, I mean, you know, I say back at the year sometimes that I worry about these kids and what we've asked them to do. You know, we have roughly thirty guys on our roster and we've been kind of going you know, optional practices in June and then you guys know what you.
Speaker 9: Know, it sounds like in June, and you know.
Speaker 8: We get started officially August first. These kids are training, you know, once or twice a day. We practiced at two thirty in the afternoon every day. So we're asking these kids to come out, and I honestly think the first day of practice was October twenty ninth, where it wasn't ninety five or above when we trained, you know, and we have you know, fifteen kids who honestly, they don't play very much. They sit on the roster, but they don't get a lot of opportunities actually.
Speaker 9: In the big games.
Speaker 8: And these kids sacrifice everything to be there, you know. And I'm getting a little bit out of my soapboxing a little bit.
Speaker 9: And hopefully I'm not taking too much of your time. You know, in this day and age where you know, everybody wants to be on ESPN Top ten and everybody's worried about their brand, right, and we got these kids who just come.
Speaker 8: Out every day and put the work in. They don't get the notoriety. But the reality is we're not where we're at it. We don't have those fifteen kids coming out to practice every day, and they get lost in the shuffle.
Speaker 9: I mean, they are so vital to our success and always have been to the program.
Speaker 8: And they're mostly local kids who just want to play and make.
Speaker 9: So many sacrifices physically, emotionally, socially, financially to be a part of the program. And we're just very fortunate we get those types of kids in the program all the time.
Speaker 2: We'll come back to the team in a second, but I want to ask you this question. I don't think NIL has affected a PEMA. I've talked to a few coaches there. You don't probably see it maybe down the road, but how do you think you'd be the coach for a kid who's making next amount of money and he's paying for you, and then have to either discipline him or not play him or something like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that would be a learning experience for me. And you know, Steve, I've been doing this a long time, so I'm kind of old and said of my ways, you know, getting a little bit crumpier as a get older even, And I think that would be that would be a hard adjustment for me, you know. And I'm watching what's happened across the country and.
Speaker 9: As you guys probably saw it, that whole thing with Tony Bennett at Virginia really caught me.
Speaker 8: Off guard, and I think he talked about, you know, the game is just kind of bypassing what he thought it should be, and he stepped down, you know, because he thought that.
Speaker 9: It was the best thing for the school, which is you know, I think terrific that he recognizes it. But I do think those those type of situations are changing the coaching job, and sooner or later it will trickle down to the junior colleges. There's no doubt about it, you know. You know, in.
Speaker 8: Particular in our sport, at the Division IE level, their captain rosters next year, so they you know, a lot of schools would have carried thirty forty kids. They're only going to be allowed to carry twenty eight now at the Division one level.
Speaker 9: So you're going to see kids trickling down now who may not have been in junior college, they would have been at a four year institution. And I think all these little things are going to change how we have to do our job, and it's going to be challenging.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: The great thing though, at the end of.
Speaker 8: The day is if you have a good relationship with the kids and they're willing to work for you and they believe in you. I still think you can make it all work. It's just going to be a little different than it has been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, these are crazy times, especially for coaches like you know, you're Bennett example, hits it on the head because he's a great coach, and you know, why why deal with that type of stuff? So now back to back to your team. What's what makes this team special? And maybe who's not the single anybody else, but you know, you have some players on there who's kind of been the the the the studs out there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know again, we're you know, our starting lineup is you know, full of second year players, which makes them a little bit older. They were with the team last year at the national tournament. So I think that experience and you kind of mentioned that motivation that we didn't.
Speaker 9: And the season the way we thought we should have has really you know, bonded the team and put us, you know, very focused on some certain goals we set for ourselves. We're fortunate we have a lot of really good players, you know, local kids like DeAndre Picket, who you know, was named the Conference player of the Year this year. He was an All American last year. I think he'll be an All American again this year. Are our team captain and leader, Brandon Sanchez from CDO And I think you've even had these guys on your show before. But you know, these guys, these guys.
Speaker 8: Are great, and they set the tone for the team, and.
Speaker 9: They're very motivated, motivated. Brandon is one of the single best leaders I've ever had in my twenty seven years at beam Up. So you know, he he sets the tone for the entire team, and you know, he has a core group of guys who believe in what he's doing and that support him. And honestly, it's easy I just show up to practice.
Speaker 8: These guys, you know, they pretty much are self motivated, they self discipline. You know, they make my job really easy and it's it's.
Speaker 9: Actually been one of the most enjoyable years.
Speaker 2: I've ever had, right, No, and you've had some very very good ones. Does it seem I'm gonna get this wrong?
Speaker 3: What three? Four years?
Speaker 2: How many Who was the last time you won the title?
Speaker 9: Oh? Well, and nobody's counting, but it's three three?
Speaker 2: So does this well three? Does it seem a long time ago? Or just like yesterday because you know, you did it, you know, pretty quickly go back to back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you know, we we won it every three years, so we're hopefully in that cycle again where it's three years. Honestly, you know, because we haven't had the best results in the last couple of years. It seems like it's been a long time since we, you know, competed for a national championship. So for me, it seems like a long time. Reality is, it's just been two seasons. This is the third, you know, and we're fortunate enough that we.
Speaker 9: Get to talk about, well, it's been just a couple of years in between national championships. I mean, I realized how that sounds. You know, not many programs get to say, right but you know, since we're we're at, we're we're at, you know, it does seem like a long time to me.
Speaker 2: Right then, I'm gonna ask it question two. You have a big roster blah blah blah. I'm sure a lot of the kids or some of the kids have never been on a plane before, or maybe they.
Speaker 8: Have, you know, I don't know, but I'm guessing there's gonna be a couple I mean, I can speak for myself. You know, even with all the soccer and all the travel and I've done, I've never even been in the state of Alabama. So I'm kind of excited about you know, you know, seeing a new part of the country, seeing.
Speaker 9: A new state, seeing you know, new facilities. And I would imagine most of my my roster would feel the same way.
Speaker 8: And I'm sure there are a couple of guys who haven't traveled, you know, especially within a large group poart, maybe even on a plane.
Speaker 9: So hopefully we can make it a really good experience.
Speaker 2: For them, right, no, no question. Well, Dave, good luck to you. Thanks those always were coming on the show.
Speaker 5: Goch great meeting you, and good luck to your team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's always great talking to you guys the second time in the year.
Speaker 8: It means I haven't done anything that bad and.
Speaker 9: Screwed things up pretty much. It usually means.
Speaker 8: I've done something all right, So it's always great.
Speaker 9: Calling you guys back in November, right right, thank you, David.
Speaker 2: I want a shirt, you know, it's been three years since I got my last shirt.
Speaker 9: All right, Well, we'll wait a couple weeks and hopefully we can add something to the shirts that we have maybe add a little for soccer. At the star that we're always chasing. We can put a third star on that before we give them to you, guys.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, thanks man, good luck to.
Speaker 9: You all right, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Dave Cosgrove, pemahead soccer coach, Very good coach, coach my kids. Let's go and come back for our final segment. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 16: Hi, this is former Wildcat Leman Hindally with Arizona Health. Imagine how home gum can change your health, your comfort, and your attacking Arizona health is everything you need to transform your personals in your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training.
Speaker 3: To get you started and keep you going.
Speaker 16: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 5: Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 17: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender vender or a leaky rooved, got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 18: Listen up al Tour twosent is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. DNA Shair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine, and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies. Join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the El Tooty two soon. For more info, check out el toour Day two soon dot org.
Speaker 17: El towirty two soon is on November twenty third. You can help support the kids at Banner Diamond's Children's Medical Center and Tucson by joining the Banner Health Team, ride, run, or walk any of the routes to make a difference. Visit Eltoordy Tucson dot org for more. Steve Rivera, He's got his Eye on the ball on Tucson Sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to My on the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Oh, Steve Rivera, You're Larry Gilman. We got Henry finishing this up today. Thank you Heny for doing this. I was freaking out yesterday, Panicky Marl. Guess what I get to do pre co counting panic take over the system again tomorrow and I have a pretty good guest tomorrow, mister coach Slopez.
Speaker 3: And you don't really I.
Speaker 5: Talk with him when we talked about Pete Rose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, is that right right? Because he's coming back. Everybody loved him. He's a great storyteller. So he'll be in tomorrow. Hopefully he remembers this. So we're gonna be next week. We're gonna be at the casino the Soul where you can you know, play bingo, cosmic bingo, the movie special selections.
Speaker 3: So all have you played at? Swell you golf? Don't you?
Speaker 5: I do golf. I play golf.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you're any good at it.
Speaker 7: I for as much as I play, it's it's almost shameful.
Speaker 3: How bad I well, that's golf.
Speaker 7: I play three times a week all year long, really all in Colorado when on the summer and then here and I'm.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by bad?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What's the number eighty something?
Speaker 7: I should know when I break one hundred now, it's a good oh. So yeah, and I wasn't that bad not that long ago. So I've got yeah, I've got a good. Get a psychiatrist. I gotta get a coach.
Speaker 5: I got it. That's too much, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's too much work. That's why I don't do it. That's why I don't do it. I don't hit the ball hard.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'll drive the car, but that's all I do. I would be frustrated if I.
Speaker 7: Were you guys, just happy to be out there that it limits my frustration. But if I had any pride at all, I would be very frustrated.
Speaker 3: Have you got that the casino down there?
Speaker 5: So I have not.
Speaker 7: I tend to stick around so Lotti, but I like.
Speaker 2: It, Laddy do the makes seasonal selections? Uh, Thursdays you can go in and play some games there. Uh the little big wheel, big money that's later this month or in this month, so sports obviously, go and and bet on the games there.
Speaker 3: You probably have the wireless. You probably do it on your pollering.
Speaker 5: Oh I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You can wake way too much. Thank god, I never bet. You know.
Speaker 7: People talk about gambling being an addictive, and I'm sure it is, but I have found the perfect antidote for too much gambling is losing money. Losing money has always just stopped me in my track.
Speaker 2: Well, you did it forever in your real world of stocks, right, yeah? And how was that feeling?
Speaker 7: Same kind of feeling, I'm sure, well it is, you know there, it's sort of buying a stock is sort of I mean, making a bet on the game is transactional.
Speaker 5: Buying a stock is like getting married.
Speaker 3: Something I don't like doing. But go ahead.
Speaker 7: Well I've only done it twice, but I think that on the day you do it, you think.
Speaker 5: It's going to be forever.
Speaker 7: Okay, but either something better comes along or you didn't get what you thought you got and you make a different decision if that happens.
Speaker 5: So it's it's really more like a relationship than it is a transaction.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've never heard his point said that way.
Speaker 5: A philosopher on unless you want me to get deep.
Speaker 3: No, I liked it. You didn't get what you want or you found something better. Pretty much accurate, accurate.
Speaker 2: Uh see, Henry, don't get married man, happy life, not today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't do it today or tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, okay, So you know, if you're head to to Casino, go see us next Thursday. We'll be out there Jay and I talking sports, of course, trying to get some good people out to go down and be with us.
Speaker 3: Uh. So here we are finals.
Speaker 2: You talked about being in Ohio, uh and with and Bo was a coaching right, I'm sorry, I said once, I said, I said, oh no, the Ohio state coach. So so how would he have survived today?
Speaker 7: He would have You know, you remember al campanis, yes, oh yeah, yes about that? Well, I mean what he Hayes was a guy who was used to having complete control.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: It was not a time.
Speaker 7: I mean that was the days when you didn't let your players drink water during practice because it made him soft.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: And there were certain beliefs that you know, he was very committed to the running game, said, I said, He he told me once that, and I'm sure he told a lot of other people that there are only three things that can happen if you passed the football, and two of them are bad. So he liked to keep it on the ground and he three yards in a cloud of dust was how he described his office.
Speaker 5: So but he was very authoritarian. Did not you know, political correctness or any kind of correctness was not part of his resume or his routine. And I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think he became a legend at the perfect time for him because back then, I mean and Ohio in particular, I went to school in Ohio.
Speaker 5: I lived there for fifteen years.
Speaker 7: I remember in Masalon, Ohio, which is where Paul Brown, who founded the Cleveland Browns and then the Bengals, got his start as a high school coach. A few years after he left, they hired a new coach and he lost his first game and there was a for sale sign on his house when he got home.
Speaker 2: So you know, I've heard all those cliches because they're probably true.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Now, we referee at college and I once had to have a police escort they get out of the of the property.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, so you're talking about today's world of gambling, and I mean that was the internet.
Speaker 5: This was all emotion.
Speaker 7: They had a twenty thousand state seat stadium in Masslin for high school football, I mean, which back then, yeah, was unheard of.
Speaker 2: This is a dumb question because I'm sure you don't miss those days. But I'm sure you remember them fondly because back in the day they had the bullshit, They had the coaches of you know, these towering men of just right fame and I'm not sure about fortunate, but fame, and they win games and the Ludelsns of the time, you know, right, And now you don't see that anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't think you see that anymore.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that you know, we now live in a time when essentially everyone is a free agent. I mean people, Yeah, people, it's all transactional, it's all temporary, it's all about and I think that's a reflection of our whole society. I mean, you go back to those days people in Ohio, uh, would would graduate high school or whatever, and they'd get a job at the General Motors plant and they'd be there their whole lot. Sure, today, statistics show that the average high school graduate will work for at least eight different entities during his career. I mean, people just move around. And it's nowhere is that more common than in sports. Sure, Uh that people now play and they shop themselves, and they you know, and and uh that.
Speaker 5: Was never a part of the deal. That's why Portal there was none of this.
Speaker 2: There's another reason why I don't like sports, because you don't know I a group of Cincinnati ridgemen right, a Dallas Cowboy fan, and a Sixers fan. I don't really follow the Sixers that much anymore, if at all. No, A Warriors guy because of Steve Kerr. But Cowboys I know maybe two people, uh persons and Deck maybe the receiver, but I gave that up a long time ago. They're just not winning under under Jones a long time ago. And then Cincinnati, I know Dylan Cruz and outside of that, I have no idea who's on that roster right, and now that Francona is the manager, I know him, but.
Speaker 3: There's no there's no loyalty to the teams.
Speaker 7: But why half the players who are on the roster of to day will be gone.
Speaker 3: There's no loyalcy on the team. Why should I be loyal to the team?
Speaker 5: Exactly? It's harder. Yeah, and now with fantasy.
Speaker 7: Sports exactly where you're loyal to the player and not the team I mean, and the gambling part. I mean everything in society and the trends are working to the disadvantage of traditional being a fan or fandoms. So you know, you can only prevail over so many outside influences, and you know you just have to go with the flow and do the best you can.
Speaker 2: Well, it's when you talk about fantasy. You see you're on four for fantasy leagues. So for like baseball, best all football, all football. Okay, So to me, I don't do that? Did I twenty five years ago?
Speaker 9: Did it?
Speaker 3: Did my draft?
Speaker 2: And then I and then I stuck with my draft because I drafted him for a reason, right, I'm loyal to a fault. So I end up at the bottom, and I'm thinking, what am I doing here? I don't really, I don't. I'm not emotionally involved. I don't want to care too much. So it's not for me because you know, they're playing against the team that I loyally fall right, I don't want them to have a good game, but I do.
Speaker 3: What's the point is I mixed emotions?
Speaker 7: It really becomes sort of a cult unto itself. I used to play duplicate bridge a lot when I was a lot younger, and it's the same kind of thing. I mean, there are all kinds of things going on today, certainly in the crypto world and in memes and mimes and NFTs, which my son did for a living for a while. I mean, there's a language, there's a culture, and I mean I could be sitting there as a reasonably intelligent person and having people speak English and not understand a word they're saying because it's just a different mindset and.
Speaker 5: A different language.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, no, it's crazy. That's why I don't do It's too much information for me. And I used to eat that stuff up all the time. You knew what everybody was hitting, where they were they hit, you know how they hit, their stats and now it's like.
Speaker 7: Every encyclopedic and you know who else knew that was Pete Rose. If you woke rose up in the middle of the night out of a dead sleep and asked him how many doubles he had in his career, he could tell you in a session. He knew his own stats inside out of everyone else's stats. I mean told me once that if there weren't a game of baseball, he'd be selling aluminum sighting like his dad did, right because he was. He said, thankfully there is, and I'm good at it.
Speaker 5: So but he was so obsessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, you talked about that when he when he passed. Uh did you see that? I think I may have asked you this when he was doing some Fox broadcasting, right and he was showing Rod Rodriguez, and uh, the he talks guy I forget his name, Mark Thomas, Rank Thomas, and then you know, stepping in the plate, stepping out of the plate, blubba. And they were like fascinated of his way of thinking. And you're thinking, now we know why this guy was good.
Speaker 5: He was the greatest hitter who ever lived. I mean, not a power hitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just if you wanted somebody on base, you.
Speaker 7: Know, and most of it you know with self. I mean he he played baseball his whole life.
Speaker 2: He never went He probably overthought everything, like overthought, because you know, that's what he did. He thought all the time about numbers, where to stand, where to hit, how to do it, where to move, blah blah blah.
Speaker 7: But he had more than anyone else, and this earned him a lot of criticism because the level of intensity. You know, they called him Charlie Hustle because when he walked, he would run the first base at top speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then of course the famous.
Speaker 7: Play in the All Star Game where he bowled over Ray Fosse and ended his career, sure in a game that was played for and gegles And.
Speaker 5: But that was Rose.
Speaker 2: That's the funny thing about it is he had this fantastic career and that moment you just brought up is in the top five when you mentioned stuff. Not the hits and not the the hits and stuff in the World Series, but that's one of them that he eliminated some guy's career because he was so intensive.
Speaker 5: To score on a play in the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I mean that's just kind of game defines who he.
Speaker 5: Was and people loved him for that and they hated him for that, right.
Speaker 3: Right, depends who you were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's why a lot of people loved him in Cincinnati probably still did or do did you was March March the owner Back.
Speaker 7: Then March was about to become the owner. There was there was sort of going through a thing. There was I can't even remember the name of the guy, but I know a guy named Dick Wagner was the general manager and he may have had a piece of the team, but then marg Shott.
Speaker 6: Took it over.
Speaker 2: So so you also mentioned that you were friends with Sparky Anderson who very good friends was. We're one of the greatest managers of that era.
Speaker 5: And a great human being.
Speaker 7: And the thing that really helped my relationship with with Sparky was, you know, we went to Japan together with the Reds. We got to be close. His daughter was on the trip. I got to know his family. But then after I left Cincinnati to go to Milwaukee, he became manager of the Detroit Tigers, and then the Brewers were in the American League, so he didn't know anybody in Milwaukee because he'd been with you know, National League all So when he come to we would hang out together for two or three days because he didn't know anyone.
Speaker 2: Who did a fantastic jump in Detroit.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, he was the kind of person that was, you know, he had no ego, so he really was able to sort of coral and get the best out of a whole team full of ego maniacs.
Speaker 3: I mean, no, no, no, let's go there.
Speaker 2: How much time we have We have two minutes, probably a minute half And then that's perfect segue because that's the problem that you have now people kids are getting paid not just a little money, a lot of money. Now you have to find a coach that can finagle those egos or work for those egos.
Speaker 5: A lot of times the coach has an egos out.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but now you have kids who are making half a million, four hundred whatever. It's the prices, and you got to get them to play for you, coach. I get a lot of money. I don't have to listen.
Speaker 5: To you, right, I can play for someone else if you.
Speaker 3: Don't like it. If you don't like it, I'm gonna go somewhere exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now you have to kiss a little booty and say I want you here. You got to kind of suck up to them, and here you are trying to give him to play too. It's a dynamic that I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know I couldn't do it well.
Speaker 7: I think that Sparky was he had that ability to convince players that if they had a bad game, he wouldn't bench them. You know, there was a mutual sense of commitment and trust that. I think these players, who a lot of people forget are just kids. They really appreciate that and respond to that. And he was and plus he had great hair when he was forty years old, so he looked like a grandfather, did.
Speaker 3: You well loot?
Speaker 2: And inverbly from my books, they played hard for him, and they said, if you're going to play for your grandfather, just figuredarly the last thing you want to do is disappoint your grandfather.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's kind of I'm sure I will.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Yeah, I've been very lucky in my life. Can I say amazing people?
Speaker 3: But hey, thanks, thanks, we gotta do this again, come.
Speaker 5: Back another not for this money.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks, no one yet, Thanks Henry, I appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: Come in tomorrow please